Speaker 1: All right, we are back for another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. Today I hosted Kyle Franz on the podcast, and due to Kyle's graciousness with his time, we actually are going to split this into two parts to make it a little bit easier to digest. Thanks for listening. As always, if you like the podcast, please rate us and write us a review in the iTunes store or stitcher. And also, if you haven't yet signed up for the newsletter that goes out every Monday Wednesday Friday. We write a lot about golf course architecture in it, especially on Fridays. We did this new deep dive portion, so if you haven't signed up for the newsletter, please sign up, and without further ado, here is Kyle Franz.
Speaker 2: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 3: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 1: In a Frida Egg, Friday Egg, the dreaded Friday Friday, Frida Egg Egg, fridagg Bride Egg, I'm about ready to run off the golf course. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to another edition of the Friday Podcast. Today we are talking with Kyle Franz, a up and coming golf course architect. Kyle's most famous work has been his restoration of Midpines down in the Pinehurst area, and he's also worked with many of the top architects and is currently consulting on restorations of many top Golden Age golf courses, including Seth Rayner, a couple of ross courses, and a few styles Van Cleek courses up in the Northeast. Kyle, welcome on.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Andy, excited to be on. Can't thank you enough for for inviting me on and looking forward to chat about architecture the last week since we started discussing something coming on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, excited to talk with you. You get a wealth of knowledge and experience and and you know, having worked with all these different guys including you know, Corn Crenshaw, Doak, Gil Hans and you know Kyle Phelps, it's it's pretty cool that you've gotten to see so much.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks appreciate it. You know, I've I've been really very very lucky in my career thus far, and hopefully we'll continue going the same direction. You know. Uh, certainly can't thank Tom Doak enough for the giving me the opportunity right out of the gates, uh internship at Pacific Dunes out in Bandon, and and all the opportunities I've got from from all of my mentors, you know, Bill and Ben at Byner Simmer two and Gil working on the re Olympics course. A lot of really fun and interesting courses along the way, both from a restoration standpoint and new built. So it's a very exciting, very exciting run for somebody who grew up wanted to go in the golf course design business, and unfortunately everything is worked out thus far.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so how did you get into design? You did? You know at a young age this is what you wanted to do.
Speaker 2: I did, Yeah, you know, I was as I Joe for many years. I was kind of like the ultimate golf kid growing up. My mom got me in a membership at a little public golf course, a little nineteen twenties era golf course on a very weird piece of ground, almost like to make a long geologic story short, it had like these very long running ridges and valleys everywhere from a catastrophic flood that had happened eons and eons a go, and they had no real uh, irrigation system. Uh in in modern terms anyway, it was one of my first jobs was putting on couplers and fairways and in the middle of the night and uh, but it gave me an appreciation for you know, just good solid routing and uh and fun quirky architecture on on wild, weird ground and uh. And this was in western Oregon, you know, a place where you wudn't expect to find sort of an oddity, uh of from a land standpoint, and uh, you know, I just kind of went with it from there. You know, I really uh, I really loved playing golf, and I played like four hundred and seventy eight straight days once actually, and uh and just became, you know, interested in architecture. I think got a lot of people become interested in architecture. I think probably the difference is I really generally wanted to write from the very beginning. You know, I would get a hold of uh you know, uh old magazine articles, the top one hundred rankings, uh, you know, major championship previews, and I just pour over all the information went through Tom Doak's books at an early age, and then kind of got ahold of a lot of the old classics and just kind of went from there that I really kind of decided during my high school years that it was something that that I would really like to do. And uh, you know, I uh, I would meet people and just uh it would be kind of amazed that I knew as much about architecture as I did for having never been anywhere.
Speaker 3: As a kid.
Speaker 2: You know, I met some guys that had played at Pine Valley, uh and we're not far from live not far from there, and they actually send me like a scorecard and and a map of the golf course. So I would just you know, just just absorb information just like uh, just like a lot of kids collect baseball cards, you know, in your youth. And uh. So I was I really wanted to go into it.
Speaker 3: I didn't really.
Speaker 2: Quite know how to do it. You know. I was uh working on the mainest staff of my my home course, which you know, again it was a very limited budget sort of place, and uh and I asked, I asked Tom Doak for for for a job at Pacific Dunes, really begged and begged for it, and uh and he was nice enough to uh to give me a shot. You know, I was, I was studying turf management in school at that point, and didn't know whether I should jump in the landscape architecture at Oregon or stay with turf at Oregon States, and uh, but I uh, it all, it all kind of came in line for me when I worked at Pacific Dunes. It really gave me a very vivid understanding of the business and uh, really what it takes to really do great architecture right from the get go, you know. I mean, it's obviously one of the best pieces of land that anybody's been handed in the last eighty years, Pacific Dunes. But uh, what really, what really I was impressed with was, uh was the level of detail. You know. Obviously I knew that Tom was an exceptional designer, having ready his his his books and and followed his career through through the nineties as he made the ascent of getting a project like that. But I was enormously impressed with the with the talent and uh level of dedication of of the other guys that were on the project, like Chimberbina and uh and Brian Slanik, you know, his associates, and the fact that you know they they also would kind of throw you know, a young guy like me out there to uh, you know, give stuff a shot and uh and to really contribute right out of the gates. It was a lot of fun because you know, I I stood the architecture so closely to an obsessive, compulsive sort of level. But to uh to get out there and Tom, you know, let me shape this or or let me you know, handle the grassing on that, and uh and just you know, throw ideas. He is a nineteen year old kid, but Tom would. Tom was always absorbing ideas from everyone. You know, he was Uh, he was fun to work for like that, and the fact that uh he always has obviously you know, he's one of the best architects ever. Say, this is a very strong vision for where everything's going and what he wants to do. But he'll just throw throw people out there and see if they come back with something better, and if it's good, they'll, uh he'll go with it, and if if not, it'll come up with something better. So it was a lot of fun to work for Tom. Right out of the gates. It was kind of a surreal experience to be out there on my first internship and uh, uh you know, be standing there in a hole, he asked. My opinion. No, just it's a young guy, you know. Uh, certainly again, certainly well studied on architecture, but maybe not with the experience of having you got to get out and visit and study golf courses just being a teenager. So that's how I kind of got started with it. Uh, you know, I started working for Tom and worked at Stonewall in Pennsylvania and then went bound down to barn Google Dunes and uh got to kind of expand my role on on projects working working down there, and you know, it was really an amazing experience. I mean, working on two of the three highest rated golf courses built in the last eight years was pretty crazy. Oh, we're gonna do this every year, you know. Uh, And obviously it doesn't work out that, but it was certainly a lot of fun. So I'll always be very appreciative of the opportunities that Tom gave me to to get into the business and take a shot at it.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think.
Speaker 2: It's probably a lot of people who have tried to take taking this route have realized, you know, the hardest part is almost the first, the first getting your first opportunity to at it.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, it's that internship program Tom has. It is a you know, it's a great it's pretty cool to see how many of the young architects like yourself have come out of it. And you know it's you know, getting that hands on experience so early is critical to I imagine your development as an architect. So you mentioned playing golf four hundred and seventy eight days in a row.
Speaker 2: Yep, right, when.
Speaker 1: When did this happen? And I mean.
Speaker 3: It was it was when I was aged thirteen, fourteen.
Speaker 2: I believe, yeah, some we're right there. My mom got me this, you know, this membership of this little public golf course, and uh and I just went and I just played every single day. And not all of them were like nine or eighteen holes, but uh I got it at least. You know, it's Oregon winter weather western Oregon. It rains a lot, but it doesn't snow very much. So uh so I just started playing and playing. And I think part of it is some of some point in there, I was like, oh, I gotta keep the streak a lot. I got play three or six holes today, but uh yeah, I finally got We finally had a snowstorm February ninety five that busted up the streak.
Speaker 1: So so that's when it ended with a snowstorm.
Speaker 2: Yep, finally, finally just couldn't go out there and do it. I probably could have snuck in one more day, but it started to spit with snow out there. I'm like, I think I'm done. It was a good run.
Speaker 1: So what I feel like like the first day without golf or you just not knowing what to do.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Think, you know, I think, uh, well, when you grow up in western Oregon, you know, it's kind of a novelly when it snows because it doesn't really do it very much because of the sort of moderated oceanic climate climate. So I was probably looking forward to being a fourteen year old kid is getting out and uh uh, you know, going out and doing some cookies with my friends in the car. So my mom probably wouldn't have wanted us to do but choking aside and yeah, you know, uh uh, it was tough for my streak. Then I was hoping there was gonna make it five hundred.
Speaker 1: So that's I mean, that's crazy. I wonder what the like, the longest streak anybody's ever had? It. It's got to be close.
Speaker 2: Uh, there's got to be somebody out there that's cracked a thousand.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's amazing to me some of the folks at clubs that that I work at, you know, how how dedicated they are out there every day.
Speaker 3: Rain or shine doesn't make any difference.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 3: It's a good question though.
Speaker 1: Yeah has said. I grew up working at a club and one guy, an older I show up at the same exact time every single day. It was like at n have his bag on a cart, like ready for him to go to the range.
Speaker 2: Those those are the people that you really love to do this work for, you know, the people that really get out there and appreciate it. You know, the greatest golf courses in the world. You know. I've always made the analogy that it reminds me of how one of my professors in school to describe great writing. You know that in great writing, there's not a word, a phrase, or or or any detail of the writing that isn't absolutely perfect. That that isn't just perfect in literal terms, but it kind of takes it all tough. It's a higher level. And that's the way that look at great architecture when you think of you know, Royal Dornock or Pinerist number two, the old course, every little homp and every little bump out there, you know, a rise that making it all nearly perfect. You know, you're always learning something about the golf course so to speak, you know, and all the interesting so you can you can find out there. And you know, as designers, I always kind of, you know, take a step back and one it's like, how much do people really really notice the the intricacies that we try and put into architecture like that? You know, I think that's one of the strengths of that. I marvel that, you know, what Pacific Dunes was, the the quality, the details and trying to get it to you know, that level, the fun shots around.
Speaker 3: The greens, et cetera.
Speaker 2: You always wonder how much people really uh catch on to that sort of stuff. And but you know that the people that play every single day like that, and really even if they're interested in architecture or not, they'll slowly figure out all those cool little things that we that we throw into the the equation. So I especially really enjoy doing the design work for for those kinds of people, you know, My favorite events here at mid Pins Pine Needles are they have the US kids in the summertime, and you know, uh, the golf courses are basically invaded by you know, ten to fifteen year old kids for an entire week, and I always really enjoy it because I hope that the kids are as excited about what they see out on the golf course Ross's great old designs and the work that we have put into restoring them, that they are really impacted the same way that I was when I was a kid, you know, in high school or before that, like the period that we were talking about. When I go to cool places, you know USGA caliber courses like Portland Golf Club, and you know, I really hope the kids enjoy it the way that I did go into those. But even just the people you know day to day that come and play golf at Midpines Pine Needles. You know, a guy by the name of a Jay Michols will become one of my best friends to play golf with, you know, an older gentleman, maybe sixty five or seventy or so.
Speaker 3: And Jay plays every single day.
Speaker 2: He played all the way almost every day through the Midpines Restoration so he was always watching what we were doing, and uh, I got to know him kind of through that. A lot of guys like that, whether it's you know, Chris Bowie, the great writer of Ross's work, or Ran Morrison who lives here in town. You know, those guys are always coming out and playing and it's really fun to uh to hear their feedback on the work that we do and uh and for them to enjoy it, you know. Uh, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So mid Times was you know, you kind of your first shot, you know what was the I guess not the first shot, but you know, first like major restoration, and from all signs, I haven't been down there. Everybody raise about it and the first time has ever been in a top one hundred list. After the restoration, tell tell us a little bit about the that project and you know kind of where where the course was and where you've taken it to and you know it, you know the things you learned during the project.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, well, uh, how I got kind of started with it was well obviously worked on the restoration of of Piner's Number two, as we discussed briefly before for Core and Crunch Shop. So I was really really uh, really need a good place to take on a project like it. You know, I did a lot of research in the in the tough garf guys while we're working on Number two, and I was always noticing Midpines. Uh and uh you know John Jeffery is, Kevin Robbinson Bob Firm, you know the Pinehurst Uh uh Main, it's main. It's guys that suggested I go see Midpines.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Since the greens had really never been changed very much, only a couple of greens that really kind of been tinkered with it all. So it was a great opportunity to go see Ross's original uh original work. Uh here Uh, since you know Piner's number two greens that I was been switched to U S g A greens at some point, so they've been reshaped, but they're still very close to the uh the originals, but midpoints you can go see what we call the final float, the final raking, and perfect detail of what Ross's style was exactly exactly like. So I would come over and look at the golf course during the Number two work and got to know Kelly Miller and the Miller Belle McAllan family and kind of got started just kind of talking about the golf course. You know, I'd found many photos of of Pineher's number two in the tough garf guys from the nineteen twenties and thirties, you know, the period when the golf course had been completed by Ross, and it was really just very impressive to what I saw in modern terms and especially back then. So I started speaking with Kelly about the opportunity to try and restore it. They wanted to do a a greens re grassing project and switch them from from bent grass back over to riudeo grass as they originally were, and you know, I just kind of started, you know, throwing ideas at him of what they could what they could do. I did some several photoshops of what I of what the holes originally looked like, you know, react adding the uh the sand hills sandhills details, you know, the the natural bunkers and uh uh sandy hard pain areas around the holes, which were such a unique feature that we obviously reacted with number two. And I think they were pretty intrigued to to try that as as much as as possible and will be practical for the for the course. You know, as I always say, it's it's kind of like Pine Valley, but playable for the for the normal person. Uh, since it's not not as uh you know, Penal. You know, the the ground is so much firmer here in the sandy areas. So you know, we just kind of started talking about it and and uh they really liked the photoshops and my ideas for for what uh the holes looked like or I thought they looked like, and uh started throwing together plans for it in that autumn of it was twenty twelve, and uh just kind of went from there with it. We uh we broke around just after Thanksgiving that year. And I think the thing that was most intriguing to me about the golf courses is, while it's the same general style is Pineer's number two U and Ross's work here. He tried to make all of the golf courses that he worked on here a little bit different stylistically. While the Bunkers were all natural and rugged and had the sandy hard pain areas, uh, you know, the overall style of each golf course is a little bit different from the other one. So I really really worked hard to draft off of that of his original concepts and get them to work for for modern play. So a lot of fun. You know, a lot of our of restoration architectures is one part design and the other part is kind of archaeology and trying to figure out what was actually in the original designers heads. And uh, it's been a lot of fun to do that on all the golf courses I've worked on here.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, I really want to get down to that tough sarchive. It's see. That's one of the cool things about Ross is how much of his work is preserved and and you know, kept in a singular place. I wish that was the case.
Speaker 4: With more architects in terms of you know, having worked with a lot of Ross courses, what what would you say is kind of the most underappreciated aspect of Ross's design career.
Speaker 2: Boy, that's a that's a difficult question, I think for the fact that you know, his design style varied so much during the course of his career. You know, his New England work is completely different to his work in the in the UH, in the Sandhills and and in other portions of the country. You know, I would say that for me as a as a thirty thousand square or a thirty thousand foot answer to the question.
Speaker 3: I think the thing.
Speaker 2: That that probably is is underappreciated is I think a lot of times when you kind of watch a major championship that's played on a ross course or what have you, everybody will hit him like kind of the obvious details. You know, if they if they played Oakland Hills, they're going to talk a lot about how severe the greens are. If they play Pinder's Number two, they're going to talk about how great their recovery shots are around the greens. What I always marvel at in Ross's work is his ability to have come up with the exact right concepts for each hole on the ground that he's given. You know, obviously a great router of holes, always finding interesting ways to attack the landscape and find good green sites, find the right place to put the holes where it's a comfortable walk, and all the holes are interesting and varied. But the thing that I really like the most about especially his work here, is that he again he was just always finding the right answer for the design of.
Speaker 3: A hole given the the given the.
Speaker 2: Ground in front of him. You know, a great example is like the seventeenth and twelve holes at midpinds, which are two holes that are within one hundred and twenty year thirty yards of each other. But they attacked the landscape in two really interesting ways. The twelfth hole is a mid to shorter sort of par four with a fairway that sort of slopes sharply from the right down to the left hand side. The green is cannied on a forty five degree angle, is such that you really need to hit your T shot on the left hand side of the fairway. There's a big front right bunker that really makes approaching the green from the right hand side of the fairway a nightmare. It's almost impossible to hold into some conditions. So what Ross did is he set up a T shot where you could hit a nice, big sort of swing draw that would sort of hit in the landing air and kind of bound down to the honey spot and the far left hand side of the fairway, the side of the fairway that you need to be coming in from. Only you know, because of the orientation of the green, you wind up having hit this nice little draw down in the landing area. Then you really need to hit like a straight shot or even like a little baby fade off of this hanging lot where it becomes a very awkward shot. So the bottom line is the player that has all the different kinds of shots really has the advantage in the hole. The seventeenth hole is almost the dead opposite, but again utilizing the same kind of concept where the land is gently going down into the right in the landing area and the T shot, So you know, a player that can hit a fade on the T shot really has kind of an advantage. And then you know the second shot, all there's a just a big, old, big old hillside where the bunkering front left of the green that you know, really really encourages you trying to hit a draw into the green site again opposite, you know, off of a off of a kind of a hanging lie where the ball is gonna be a little bit below your feet and the tendency always is going to be to miss it from the right far be a you know, let alone trying hit draw off of So you know, he was just always coming up with, I think, the right answer for a piece of ground. You know, he's a great router, and he had just a real really a real knack for finding the right concept for the hole. And you get eighteen different looks all the way through. You know, you're always he's just really creative of finding the right answer and then eighteen in a row of in the right answer all to arrive at a golf course that is really varied and cool all the way through all of his best work. I think that kind of homework in the designs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing that impresses me most with Ross is the variety and his designs. But also you know, just how he created these subtle little features that you know, really good players notice. But for the for the average player, it's pretty easy to navigate, and you know, they aren't worried about a hanging lie and having to try and hit a you know, a fade into you know from a draw lire. They feel like they have a chance when they're in the fairway. So I think, you know, that's that is one of the things I think that's underappreciated with.
Speaker 2: Ross absolutely, you know, and you hit the nail on the head. All the all the things that I described are like grade A architecture stuff, you know, the stuff that is really good thinking man's kind of architecture. But the holes always worked really really well for for every skill set of player, you know, whether it was a player of his caliber. You know, he was at one point one of the best players, you know, in the country. You know, he finished in the top ten in the US Open. Yeah, but the whole always worked very very well for for the average player. And that's why, you know, I really think that that he had is one of the best impacts of anyone in the history of American golf. You know, if you think about his his his his work throughout his life. You know, having done that many hundreds of golf courses, you know, he made it possible to take really good sound architecture to the masses. Uh. You know, any little town that just wanted a cool little.
Speaker 3: Club, they were going to have it.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know, I think that, Uh, I've always actually admired that about Ross. I think sometimes people have have made the criticism of Ross that that he was took on so many projects, and he took on so much work that it didn't have his hand in in all of the designs. You know, it would have been impossible to travel around to do that on that day and age of train travel. But I actually think that that's something that I admire. The most in him is that he had he didn't seem to have really an enormous ego, you know, as a man from humble beginnings in Scotland and uh immigrated to the United States and it and built himself to have this massive business, so many employees at one point, uh you know this, at one point, I believe I've heard that he had like three thousand employees an extension just to if he counted all the laborers on all the projects.
Speaker 3: And everything that was going on.
Speaker 2: But you know, he he he wasn't afraid of if a golf course didn't turn out, you know, as good as as Uh as Pineer's number two. You know, when he was at his best, and he was and he was on the ground, he was capable of designing as good as anyone who.
Speaker 3: Has ever lived.
Speaker 2: But he wasn't really you know, he didn't really have an enormous ego. You know, he he wanted to do good golf courses that people could enjoy everywhere. And that's why I think that really he did have one of the largest great impacts in the history of the game in American golf. If you think about, you know, the most influential people in American golf. You know obviously Bobby Jones and Nicholas and Palmer, and you know the impact that Tiger Woods has had in the modern age. You think about who's really next in line behind that, I think it's pretty obvious.
Speaker 3: It's always been pretty obviously.
Speaker 2: He is Donald Ross. For all the golf courses he did.
Speaker 3: In so many different states, so many different places.
Speaker 2: Again, he really brought uh good the great architecture to the masses in the United States.
Speaker 1: And I think it's like the.
Speaker 2: Absolutely he brought the whole package to the equation. You know, his background of uh, of having worked on maintenance and uh, you know, understudied for for Old Tom and Saint Andrews and Carnosti and uh and then obviously growing up in in Dornick. You know, he was the full package, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: So uh in terms of ross courses, what would you say is the most underrated, underappreciated golf course in his portfolio?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you've.
Speaker 3: Seen yeah, hmm, well, I would really really have to think.
Speaker 2: About that one. I feel like I would probably I probably would be cutting somebody off at the knees who deserves a bit more, uh, a more credit Uh, you know, there's there's so many good ones, you know, I mean, uh, uh, there's a couple that come to mind are his Midpines. I think it's a great golf course that really flew into the raider for a lot of time. I really like Plymouth in uh in Massachusetts. Uh, it's a really cool course that kind of flies under the radar. But again, I feel kind of bad just sort of throwing those two out there because there's so many of them that, uh that inevitably it's uh, it's sort of like being asked, what's your favorite child. You can't you can't really do that, you know. Uh, I'm sure that I'm sure there's several great ross courses that I still myself have never been to.
Speaker 1: There's quite a few of them.
Speaker 2: So it's a it's that really kind of gets back to the previous point, is is you know he left such a deep, deep talent pool of great golf courses that, uh, some of them are are are still great, some of them could use a nice little restoration like we did with mid Pines and Pine Needles, and uh, there's just such a deep talent pool, really very very impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you you know if you I always look for ross courses when I travel, if I if I don't know where to play, it's always like a good you know, really on the East Coast or you know, he did a lot of the Midwest, but like if you're looking for a place to play, you know, to see if there's any public uh access ross courses and there you know, a lot of them aren't in perfect shape, but you know they they're they still have such good like simple architecture, and it's easy to play, and they're usually very affordable. So you know, that's always I think, I think a good way to.
Speaker 2: To travel, absolutely, you know. I think the one that probably jumps to mind that it amazed. It always amazes me that it stays as far under the radar as it does, and it seems to have taken a nice little jump in the rankings the last few years is Essex in Massachusetts, you know, in Manchester by the sea up north of the city. That golf course blows my mind. It's just such a cool ross course, and uh, you know, it always kind of amazing, amzs me like I was just one of a lot, not a lot more famous. One that I also really like is a place that I went briefly did some work for for Gil hants At a couple years ago as Sicona in Rhode Island. Short golf course.
Speaker 3: I think it's only maybe sixty two.
Speaker 2: Hundred yards long, so basically pretty well preserved, probably about what it was when it opened, and some fantastic views out over the waterfront right along the shore there, and some really really neat greens. I don't want to start quoting holes and because I forget get right, get a number wrong, but there's some really really neat holes out there and some great over water views. Is a really neat golf course. That's where Ross made his his summer office. Actually he's spent obviously winters down here in the Pinehurstteria and and then spent his a lot of his summers up along the shore and Rhode Island.
Speaker 3: Really good scores.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty good spot to spend summers at as that. I've heard that my buddy has sent me a bunch of photos from there, and it looks so cool and it's got a lot of little quirk. But you know, it's a shorter course, but it defends park because of those greens and just the subtle little design features, right, So, you know, having worked for I would say, you know, if if you said Gil, Tom Joke and then Bill and Ben, you know, the you know three most three of the most forefront architects of today. Tell us a little bit about, you know, some commonalities that they share that make them so great.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the I think the thing that obviously they all share is an appreciation for for classic architecture and do it yourself mentality, you know, uh, the design build uh philosophy. I mean, obviously all of them have a encyclopedic knowledge of great architecture and how they would like to approach it, you know, from from routing on up and and and building really cool natural stuff or classical classical material. You know. I mean anytime that that any of them are dving away from anything that's completely under and natural, it's always going in an interesting, old, kind of quirky way, you know. I think a Gills one of gills strengths is his willingness and uh interest in building sort of like uh, you know, classic New England architecture or classic English countryside architecture with a little more kind of quirky sort of uh, you know, stuff in there. But I think it all comes back to to the general philosophics of of they're gonna get out there and they're gonna build great architecture in the field with their own shapers, their own finished guys, and the hands on h approach to the work, you know, uh, And they all go about that a little bit differently.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: In the case of Gil, I can pretty much guarant see wherever Gill's at right now. It's on a bulldozer or someplace, you know, I mean, that's where that's his happy place.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think he really uh, you know, he's he's a great, a great architect, a great uh, a great marketing art architect. You know, he's so great in front of the camera. But I think, and he's so good with all the client and relations and all the emails and all the business of being an architect. He always amazes me how hard he works. I mean, he's a person that generally spends ten ten hours a day on a on a bulldozer, and then he goes and he does emails and plans all night long. You know. It's very impressive. But that's why I think it's kind of his happy places to get out there in the field and build stuff himself, whereas his Doak was also a shaper back in his younger years working for PETI. But he goes about the work in the field in a slightly different manner where you know, he likes to sort of like walk around and hover over the proceedings and work on multiple things at once, where we can jump over to the guys working in this set of bunkers over here building his greens over here. And he has a you know, a very deep talent pool of shaping design associates that are that are perfect for that. You know, they could probably all be designers on their own, uh, but they they are incredibly good shapers and uh. And he utilizes that back and forth dynamic h very well. Bill is the same sort of way where where he spends a lot of time kind of walking a property and uh and you know, throwing it a different a bunch of different ideas around and coming up with they really what he really wants to do and what he thinks is gonna work very well. And then he's actually on a on a sand pro at the very end of the process finishing the greens himself, which is something that Gill does as well, but that is really you know, Bill's Bill's main kind of creative construction ports of the processes. You know, he he feel kind of directs that the building of the green and then uh and then actually finishes it himself. So you know, they all go about you know, the work slightly differently. Uh and uh and I think that's the you know, to kind of complete the point on Bill, he spends more time i think, walk king his projects than uh than any anyone. You know, He's He's constantly on site and it's kind of walking and throwing ideas around what.
Speaker 3: What he would like to do. Uh.
Speaker 2: So well, uh, while the results come out in the end really very similarly. Uh you know, uh, they all go about it and in slightly slightly different ways, but all of them rely on uh you know, good solid design build theoretics and having uh you know, talented staffs of of guys to uh get out and do the work and and and are as passionate about architectures as they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, the design build concept just makes so much more sense to me than the contracted out it seems. It's just like, you know, all the parties are aligned and to me it it I don't know why you would draw plans and and and then hand them to somebody else to interpret your plans. Now, I know there's is not that.
Speaker 5: Simple, but it just seems like if you've got if you're doing the plans and you have you know, the guys working for you, it's gonna you know, there's one last person involved, and that's always a good thing when you're you know, trying to do something special.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it makes sense all the sense in the world across the world, and you know, get back to the beginning of the conversation. That's really what I learned right out of the gates from Tom, you know, I mean, I knew what good architecture is and uh and I was able to contribute, contribute immediately because I had a good eye for things. But what kind of blew my mind is is just how much he was out in the field, how much you know, Jim Orbin f Brian Swank, they were you know, Brian was shaping every single day. Jim was in and out shaping this shaping that the attend and these are you know again guys that could design on their own.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The attention to detail was was pretty impressive to watch and to see and uh and to create a process you know, uh, just going back and forth in terms of discussions of what would happen, what was implemented.
Speaker 3: And that was the beauty of.
Speaker 2: Tom, you know, is that uh you know, uh he didn't care what the best idea was or who it came from. Uh. You know, that's what was going to happen. That's why I was quite happy to ask uh you know, uh even down to a nineteen year old kid that was just a golf golf course and golf uh golf nerd what what I thought, you know, Uh, and that interaction uh that that doesn't happen if if you're just merely hating a set of plans uh to a contractor. You you take a bunch of really really talented people that uh that know what's good and and and know what'll work, and you throw them all out there and uh just run it through the uh, run it through the process, and see who you come out come up with on the other side. I don't see how anybody could uh could expect to get results that good uh, merely from handing plans to a contractor. And and the thing is is not only uh is the design build philosophy you know better in terms of architecture. It's also a lot a lot more practical for the client. You know, the more you're eliminating outside contracted costs to where things are either they just not turning out very good or as good as they can or or they're having to be rebuilt multiple times to get it to all fun they get to a good uh, a good place in the finish line. Uh. You know, it just it just expands the price tag, you know, uh, by eliminating the middleman and uh, just getting out there and doing it yourself. And and I think that's you'd have to ask Tom himself, but I think that that's something that he he realized that degree of craftsmanship working for Pete, and I think that Bill also did. And they had their own ideas about what they wanted to do that were slightly different from Pete, but they recognized the value of approaching the work like that and uh and and they just kind of fallowed suit and uh and even took it to another level of h of hands on, hands on construction. And that's been by virtue. It's been handed on to two guys like myself who have worked for them. You know, Uh, I do my own shaping just like Gilbuzz because I think it's the most practical way to go about it. You know, if if I have a lot of different projects going on at once, I might uh, I might you know, to spend time jumping around uh uh you know, feel directing a little bit how I described uh uh Bill and Ben and Tom working as opposed to being on the machine like gill is. But you know, again it's the same same difference. You know. I've I've learned how to be efficient and uh and practical and save clients' money while getting the right product. And I've even kind of, you know, kind of tried to take what I've learned from the strengths of of all their personalities and uh and utilize it to hopefully wind up with good, good results myself. Uh So I've definitely learned a lot from watching watching how they conduct themselves and and the differences in their little styles that that that they utilized achieve good results. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that collaborative approach something I learned, you know, grown up Caddy and was like, you know, somebody a caddy for it. They'd be an eighteen handicap and they'd say something about the game of golf, and it would it would like make a lot of sense to me. And at the time I was like a you know, scratch or better player, and like that's the thing about you know, just life in general. You can learn something from everybody. So having the collaborative approach on site, I mean it's not going to hurt you, you know, it's absolutely So you're currently consulting on you know, a bunch of Golden Age courses. You're a you're a golf nerd as you as you say, just like me and uh and you you know, you've you've got kind of a vast array of architects. Like in terms of Golden Age architects, who do you think flies under the radar?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, whether they're a regional guy or that there are great architects that you know, you don't hear as much about as like a ross a telling Cast or a Rainer McDonald.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. You know one person that I that I really don't think has ever really gotten their full credit and due with the with the quality of the work and all the places they have that they worked at, which was hs cult. You know, I think that obviously he's a household name in architectural circles. But I think that most people sitting watching a Master's telecast every year there, they know, they know all about Alistair McKenzie by now, and and most everybody you know knows quite a bit about Donald Ross just for the iconic effect that he's had and golf and architecture and famous places like Piner's Number two. But but Colt, you know, all the different places that he worked at is really impressive list.
Speaker 3: You know, places where.
Speaker 2: Nobody really these days puts puts together a solid lineage and understanding of of the the history of of great courses like Mirfield for example. You know, uh, just how much of that was his design work colts work there.
Speaker 3: You know, I think, uh, I think, uh.
Speaker 2: The more one digs into his his career in history, uh, the more one realizes is a pretty pretty smart guy with a lot of a lot of really cool work all over the place, whether it was you know, just his input of Pine Valley and uh.
Speaker 3: But the same could be also be said of.
Speaker 2: U of you know, George Thomas, you know, I mean, uh, being as maybe they really didn't do that many golf courses. Uh I think that he doesn't really get as much credit as he should, even though the you know, the work that he did at its best was some of the best architecture in the history of the game. You know. Uh I think La country.
Speaker 3: Club is is is a is a prime example.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of people don't realize that that his original concept for the golf course was to it was essentially a course within a course concept, so to speak, where the golf course could be set up one day to plays like a you know, a really really difficult, you know, par seventy two almost seven thousand yard golf course, and then the next day it could be set up to play is like as like a quirky and crafty little uh you know Par sixty nine or par seventy sixty one hundred yard golf course, and the architecture all worked at varying degrees in between, you know, uh, so that you were getting completely different golf courses you could play the same day just by moving around the whole locations. That's what kind of made it all work, is you know, they'd set the short course and set a bunch of really wild, tough pins and then uh vice versa for for the for the longer course. But all all, all the architecture still worked, and the players had to really think about what they were doing at that where they were trying to hit t shots to get good angles into greens and where we're not to miss greens. All the all the bells and whistles of g architecture, you know, so as but you know, generally a really a well known famous architect, you know, if you're gonna go into more obscure architects, you know, one of the one of the guys that we have talked about a bit, you know before before the podcast. You know, uh uh Avy McCann, who did a lot of work in the Northwest where I grew up as an American. An American architect, really did some great quality work that I don't think people really realize how good it was. And a lot of is the fact that you know, maybe time hasn't really been as as friendly to their work is uh as it should have been. You know, a lot of his course has been changed, or or too many trees planet or just the usual things that happen over the span of of one hundred years. You know, greens get changed, various things, all the things that happened, and then you know, in the in the UK, I always really, I always really liked James Braid's work. You know, there's a lot of great bray golf course and there's also some neat ones that kind of fly under the radar, and I always I always found a lot of those to be some of the more entertaining golf courses that I went to in the UK, And a lot of them would uh be just kind of uh right under the notses a lot of the time of of of bigger, famous famous places. You know, a couple of examples be uh there's a place that's really just up the railway line from Carnosti called Pammir, which is of course that's kind of easily missed over there. The first couple holes in the last coup holes play across very very flatish kind of farm land. But in the middle of the golf course it all goes out of this very rumpled and wild little dunescape out there with some really really sharp crazy dunes and uh and and the holes are really rout and in a lot of interesting ways to uh to to arrive at some pretty unique holes. There's a couple holes on that golf course that I would I would put on my top, likeably fifty holes in Scotland. Just some really really neat stuff out there, you know, a couple of places Fraser for a golf club in northern Scotland. It's kind of like that where flies a little bit under the radar, but there was a hole out there that I uh, you know, I was inspired for an idea that we ended up using the Olympic course, the Ninth Pole, where it was kind of inspired from a hole there where there was these two big mounds in front of greens where if the pin were kind of front right on the green, behind the front right mound, you could actually sort of carren a shot off of the front left mound and curl it around the mound front right of the green, and then if the pin was on the west side you could do vice versa. You could if it was behind that mound, you could sort of curl a shot off of it. You know, just some really neat, little wild you know, uh, Scottish Scottish architecture. Same would go for for Borrower up in the far north of Scotland, north of a dorn like I'm pretty sure that's a break course as well.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, isn't that the Furthest North course in Scotland?
Speaker 2: Or and one of them not the Furthest North, but it is probably the Furthest North, like really great great course of the old of the old architecture.
Speaker 3: It's about I think it's about.
Speaker 2: Twenty or thirty minutes north of Dornick. And you know, for anybody kind of knows Dornic, I mean even it kind of flew under the radar to a degree through a lot of the fifties and sixties and seventies because it was so far to get to driving up there. You know, they didn't have the big bridges that crossed the Dornick Firth or those other firsts that you have to cross to get up there, so you had to drive all the way inland, all the way back out and all the way inland and all the way back could get to those places. So, you know, Dorrit kind of flew under the radar for so long that the place is north of it, like Borra.
Speaker 3: You know, those only become you know, even.
Speaker 2: An architectural circles kind of household names. The last ten or fifteen years, either dor or Borra. That's one of the coolest golf courses that I saw over a really really neat place right along the ocean. So those are, you know, some of the more obscure stuff that I have always perfectly liked in terms of both courses and architecture.
Speaker 1: That does it for Part one of the Kyle Franz Podcasts. Part two should be posted within the next twenty four hours. If you're listening to this after, just check out our website, iTunes, or Stitcher for Part two, which dives into Kyle's travels through the Great Britain Island islands, restorations abroad, as well as some listener questions and overrated underrated