Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield and on today's show, part one of a two part Dolphins draft preview extravaganza with the great Kyle Krabs.
Speaker 2: We do it every single year.
Speaker 1: You're number five coming your way right now from the Baptist Hull Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Probably could have set that up a little bit earlier by telling you we're going to talk about all things Dolphins off season, modes of roster building, cap management, future cash considerations, free agent evaluations before we get into the thirteenth pick of the draft. On this episode of the podcast. Let's go ahead and get to my friend Kyle Krabs. It is that time of year again, our fifth straight year of doing this, the Kyle Krabs Dolphins two part Draft Extravaganza his Draft week. The Dolphins are on the clock, the earliest they have been since we started doing this back in twenty twenty. Kyle Krab's host of the Lockdown Dolphins podcast. He is the NFL Draft leader for the thirty third team, the author of Touchdown Miami. Locked on NFL Scouting, He has a billion jobs and has a billion hours of tape logged this draft season.
Speaker 2: Kyle, what's up?
Speaker 3: Man? You may be joking, but it's probably not too far off from a billion hours of tape log for this class.
Speaker 1: The man has no voice. He's been doing this so much. He has no voice left or force. But he's gonna give us two straight podcast yes one sitting with no voice. Plaine hurt today his Jordan Game six is flu game. And Kyle, you just sent me a document that I think pretty much explains your level of work and dedication that went into the draft cycle. Tell me what you just sent me through an email?
Speaker 3: So I gave you access to the twenty twenty five pretty much the doc. I have to keep all of my Dolphins specific stuff, and that includes two different variations of a draft board that currently has three hundred and two players on it. I'm gonna put the Dolphins projected starters at each position into that board as well, so you could kind of see how the prospects grade versus the Dolphins actual players. But it's adjusting my draft grades for the grades for what we know and understand the Dolphins schemes to rely upon for trades to give you a customized set of draft grades and a like traditional big board and then like the draft room big board where it's more presented horizontally.
Speaker 1: I love the horizontal big board because and I've I've almost found those crusade this offseason of like, hey, guys, watch tape and these models are great. Teams pay a lot of money to get analytics and models and research and data behind the stuff, but you have to match it with tape always. But I did see this take on the horizontal board and how like, you know, all this different information you can get from the draft over year over year, I've seen models of build out, like teams that are most likely to take which players based upon their drafting history, and I'm like, that is an incredible learning tool you can have. But the horizontal board, man, it's so important because you can separate, Like you know, I think the offensive tackle is a great position for this every single year where it's like you look at the tackle options you might have in the first round, and then because of this potential dearth that comes, you know, from picks twenty five to fifty whatever it might be, like, you would then prioritize that position more because of the horizontal board stacking where otherwise you might have the vertical board that just tells you, you know, this guy's next, this guy's next, and doesn't give you the actual like percentage point grade breakdown. Does that make sense, Like that's kind of the idea behind the horizontal board.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And John Spytech, who's the GM of the Raiders, just had a recent media spot where he talked about this and talked about like the horizontal draft board and application with when the Browns were drafting, when spy Tech was there and they picked seven, and they ended up picking Joe Hayden, and they say, kind of coming in, they had a couple different scenarios for what that first pick was gonna be, but one of the things that they were prepared to have them do to nudge them towards drafting Joe Hayden was seeing what other options they were projecting were going to be available and how deep the talent pools were at the next tier down where their next pick was. Where they ended up drafting TJ. Ward, who was a really good player, made three Pro Bowls in the NFL as a starter for almost a decade, So I thought that was a really cool like recent media application of kind of this new fad way of presenting draft information that that's not really the cookie cutter one through three hundred style lists.
Speaker 1: And on the last show I did Kyle, I talked about having some draft fatigue and this this time of year, it really starts to be like, Okay, let's just get on the clock right now because I'm done doing all the stuff. But that's another reason why we had to try to have multiple guests on different types of approaches, because there's always some type of nook or crany to cover with this draft you haven't thought of in unknown places, and Kyle can help us find those a little bit.
Speaker 2: So that's a great start off to the show here.
Speaker 1: I want to kind of go back here a little bit and talk about how we got to where we are today for the Dolphins offseason and start with this, Kyle, because you came on the show and we haven't had you on since before the combine, and you talked about this ahead of free agency about one of your pillars or your goals of the off season was to get younger and to get a model of competition through a lot of draft picks. They have ten and signing guys that were maybe fresh off that rookie contract that perhaps didn't live up to their draft billing and position and now could be possibly hungry and motivated to go out there and perform at the highest level on every single time they step on that grass. And I'm curious to get your take on how you feel the Dolphins did in that department.
Speaker 3: I think you can definitely look at some of the themes between if emil afan Wu and kJ Britt and guys like that that are coming off of rookie deals who have shown some level of capability of filling a certain kind of role and now have an opportunity with the competition that is proceeded to be out there to perhaps claim a bigger role here with the Dolphins, and you know that youth element. I think one of the biggest things with the defense is as you kind of watch the back half of the season last year, even as the statistics really impressive, I got done watching the tape after the games not being able to help myself, but to feel, man, we could really use like some more dynamic athleticism. It's such a reactive space you have to live in because you don't know the play, you're reacting in real time, and more often than not, guys are reacting moving backwards. So there's a lot of challenge and a lot of special athletic ability that's that's required to execute that and execute it at a high level. And I think for the Dolphins to kind of get the athleticism that they've got on the second level, to get more explosive players on the back end, you know, we'll see what the evolving picture at cornerback looks like for them. It feels like diversity is going to be really helpful for them obviously. You know, Chris Grier spoke what early or early last week and and talked about the Swiss Army knife nature of cater Kohu, and you know, they they painted a lot of different pictures pre snap versus what they gave you post snaps. So I definitely think having younger players that maybe are a little bit better equipped to play with that dynamic athleticism throughout the rigors of a full season is something that you can look to to say, hey, maybe maybe this can help create some of those more game changing plays that it felt like like from a turnover differential standpoint and turnovers last year felt like they were close. There was a lot of off a fingertips or or just it quite didn't have the extra bounce in your step needed to undercut that throw. Those are kinds of things that I'm looking for as far as bringing in younger guys that have a little little bit less miles on their legs in some.
Speaker 1: Spots, and some of those hits from Chop Robinson that were just a fraction of a second late from jar and a ball loose and getting a strip sack that way too. I think a lot of those players they brought in for the thirty visits that were reported to be down here from Miami for the pre draft visits would check a lot of those boxes too. Between the safeties they brought in, right, Nicky Man, Worry JJ Roberts. Both those guys have some real juice to their game and are fun to watch. And you make a point about the cornerback group. I'm curious to see how they build this thing out to their vision because I get the sense that the defense has kind of been built out to like, hey, weave, what do you need man? Because you kind of proved it in year one that you're a stud like let's go get what you want in terms of the player types and archetypes. And remember him talking last year about the value of cater Cooho because of his ability to play both inside and out, that it freed up Ramsey and Fuller to do what made their careers really good was there to play inside out. And so I'm curious to see if they'll go after that or maybe they can reshape that room.
Speaker 2: There's options there.
Speaker 1: So we'll talk about that more on the draft portion of the show, probably more on the second episode tomorrow with you guys. Kyle joins me for two straight episodes here talking about all things Dolphins off season and the entire really draft process for them here coming up later this week, and I want to go back to a couple more things we talked about in the off season, Kyle, And you know, we see the we've seen the Niners really kind of pivot their off their their team building approach this offseason and really say goodbye to a lot of mainstays on that roster. We saw the Rams execute something similar a couple of years ago, and you know we didn't. Chris Career made it a points to say we haven't mentioned the word soft rebuild or you know, or what was the term just a rebuild in general? I guess a restart maybe, but they have, you know, the Ramsey trade, if when that happens, would be a departure of that. Armstead's gone, Kalas Campbell's gone, some big time veteran names. I'm curious to hear because you talked about it before the draft, before the off season started, was like, this could be an opportunity to kind of change the face of the roster in a sense, they've kind of done that. I'm curious to get your take on that and how it can be fruitful even if the star power and name power is not the same as it was last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, if you sit down and you have the honest conversation about life cycles for teams across the league and how long they usually are, and there's exceptions like Kansas City with Patrick Mahomes Tom Brady in New England and they were you know, and Dolphins fans probably have a very different reality of team life cycles because they had to coexist with a team that won the division every year but won for but seventeen years in New England. So like that that's not. You see the graphics of like the NFC East, and it was a different team you want it up until Philly wanted a couple of times in a row, a different team won that division for like twelve straight years, or the South or the AFC North or the NFC West, where even when San Francisco has been successful, rams have pushed him. The Cardinals had a successful season in there, the Seahawks have been a successful team. So the life cycles of teams across the league. Realistically, you have an influx in young talent, and then those talents mature, and then you have to make strategic decisions on what contracts or second contracts, and at that point you can't pay everybody, and then some players leave and then you kind of have to take that new nucleus of the team, and that's your starting point. And I think that's where for the Dolphins, there was a coaching transition that happened dead center in the middle of when this whole process started, and I think that unfortunately, you know, when you look to judge the entire body of work since twenty nineteen, when they reset the roster as dramatically as they did, there were circumstances throughout there that maybe didn't allow you to fully maximize the cohesion within that six year window. And now the life cycle has come full circle and it's time for them to move on from some bigger contracts and there's a bigger focus with the NFL draft by having the most draft capital that they've had in three or four years, and this is now the starting point that they have. And I think everybody, regardless of what last season looked like or the shortcomings or expectations or any of that, the starting point for this year's build of a new life cycle, I think everybody would agree, looks a lot better as far as the young talent that you have, some that are on second contracts already, some players that are young players than what the nineteen roster look like when you started that build. So now it's a process. Okay, what's your starting point for this life cycle versus the last one? And I think that's where I view the Dolphins right now.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I love that take, because you know, I think it's hard for fans to separate even what happened in two thousand and four, for instance, from what is going on right now, and you kind of accumulate all that not ill will, but that just your emotions attached to that, and you can kind of unload on a twenty twenty five football team. And look, I'm not gonna sit here and say, like you know, on paper it's a super Bowl like oor bus type of team.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody would say that.
Speaker 1: But I think where fans get upset and like we see this every year, is that on paper, it's not gonna be as fun this offseason. Like you're gonna hear the sports media talk shows are gonna be what's going on with the Dolphins, what's the plan?
Speaker 2: All that stuff.
Speaker 1: But the exact same thing happened for the Buffalo Bills last year and they probably had their best crack at the Kansas City Chiefs come playoff time at getting over that hump.
Speaker 2: They didn't do it. And of course they.
Speaker 1: Have, you know, a generational quarterback and you know, stability and all that stuff. But the point is that like there's this happens every year where it's the best organizations can find ways to pivot out of certain cycles, to your point and find their way back into winning modes, and sometimes they come out of that better. Will it happen for the Dolphins. We don't know, but we'll see what's going to come of it. And I know Kyle's in the same frame of mind as me in terms of, like, let's let this roster build out fully before we judge it. For week one, We'll go ahead and come back and talk about the buildout of the team, Kyle's free agent favorites. I want to spend some time talking to you about the books, because you're so good in the numbers aspect of all that. That's all next before our third segment talking about pick thirteen of this year's draft. All of that coming up with Kyle Crabs and the Draft Time Podcast brought to you by Auto Nation. Segment two here with our part one episode with the Great Kyle Krabs locked on Dolphins podcast, talking about the Dolphins this offseason heading into this week's draft. Ten picks to come. One on Thursday, We'll have two on Friday, and then seven on Saturday. A busy day on Saturday. Man, we'll see what happens if those picks actually stay where they are. But Kyle, I want to get two more questions for you in this segment before we get to the draft itself, and just kind of talk to you about the buildout of the team.
Speaker 2: And you know, I've seen a lot of.
Speaker 1: Discussion out there, more this year seemingly than ever before, about like cash over cap and cap commitments, and like it seems like everyone's starting to kind of plant their flag on these discussions. But then I come back to Kyle, like, Hey, tell me what really is going on here? And Kyle is like abc D all the way through Z and explains it thoroughly. So when you look at the Dolphins, I guess they're books for now the shift of where the money comes and goes, and like what it means for the future. Can you just take us through the management of money and cap and all the stuff that you've seen the Dolphins execute in the past, what this year has done, and what it means going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah. According to spot track dot Com right now, the Dolphins currently sit seventh in the NFL in total cash. And I'll tell you a lot of my team building and economics of the draft insights have come from Raven CM. Eric de Coosta did a lecture that long ago with former college football player Adam Brenneman, and he talked about the economics of like team management and staying competitive annually and the Ravens annually. They aspire to spend cash overcap, more, spend more cash than what the salary cap is on an annual basis. But their insight is on any given year, they aspire to be between the sixth and the tenth or the eighth or the twelfth, somewhere like in the bottom half of that upper third of the league in cash spend, and they say that feels like that allows us to annually maintain a competitive nature to our roster. And the Dolphins obviously with moving on from Toront Armstead and now potentially looking at moving on from Jalen Ramsey. If they move Jalen Ramsey, you could take another twenty one million dollars off of their current cash spend, which would drop them from seventh in the NFL to I'm gonna do bath in real time. Here's gonna be a disaster down to twenty second in the NFL, just by moving on from the Ramsey contract, if they get somebody to take the full contract, if they find a partner in which they want to trade jam Ramsey.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: That process for them. The last couple of years they've been more towards the top with caspen and that's going to happen when you give out contract extensions like a quarterback contract. Last year, they were fifth in the NFL in cash spend. In twenty twenty three, the Dolphins ranked eighth in the NFL. So they haven't like peaked in maxed out. But I think that's where you go back to the cash spend window and then this transition that we're seeing the team take where you contrast that with teams like New Orleans and a team like Cleveland. I mean, Cleveland's been top three in cast spent in each of like the last four seasons, and you look at twenty twenty five, they're still third in the NFL and cash ben right now, and they're only eleven million dollars off from being number one in cash bed now. Philadelphia has been another team that's been very aggressive like that, and the way that they've done that is by putting dummy years on the back end of contracts. But Philly won the Super Bowl and then they said, hey, let's make some hard personnel decisions and get rid of some guys and you know, not allow this to snowball, in which the world where you become a team like New Orleans, whos to restructure every contract you have on the books just to get compliant. Then you let anybody that's that's looking at a second contract walk, and you know, you're pretty much just waiting for players to decide that they're done playing, to be able to transition from a lot of players, so you can spend cash overcap, but if you have the peaks where you spend higher, you even need to drop it back down to kind of bring your your future debt back in line, or you need to say we're just going to do this in perpetuity for forever until we're out of jobs, and then it's somebody else's problem. This is why Miami's Miami's smart to be doing it now and not just push it another year and then push it another year, and you know, I think that's setting the team up for long term failure.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And I mean we saw mentioned the Saints that the Derek Carr situation right now seems like almost untenable. We'll see what comes of that and what happens on draft night. Maybe they gets another quarterback in the top ten that pushes another talent to the Dolphins at pick thirteen. But I would just urge you, if you guys come across cap stuff in the NFL it's confusing, just listen to Kyle's show, please, because he does such a great job of taking you through that and breaking it all down and doing live math on the air too, which you're better than I am, my friend, So I appreciate you cranking those numbers out for us before our last break and we dive into the draft here, Kyle, let's talk about free agency. It was a frugal approach to free agency. There was a couple of big additions there, including one across the offensive line. Talk to us about James and how he fits in the in the offense, because that was the kind of the marquee signing. And then if you can just talk about some of the guys that you'd like that you think have good roles in this this defense or offense from free agency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think James Daniels has a chance to potentially be a nice transition in leadership from toront armstead to another veteran player. And you got a chance to do a sit down and interview with him for Drive Time that was just outstanding and gave great insight into James, and he's a player that's been a quality starter for the last couple of seasons and has positional versatility experience. I have very little doubt that that Daniels, as he you know, gets back on the field from the injury last season, is going to be a difference maker. And I think the leap in the quality of player that you're gonna see there is he's probably I would probably put him in the same bucket as far as a caliber of players is what the Dolphins had in Robert Hunt. And Robert Hunt is fully healthy, so to to kind of put that in contrast for another name to invoke that Dolphins fans will recognize with how good Rob was when he was here before he left in free agency. That's kind of my expectation for James Daniels, and that is obviously a huge step in the right direction amidst the transition away from Toronto. And I'll be fascinated to see Chris Greer said last week, you know Pat Paul's are left tackle and he's going to get the first crack at it. And do they put James Daniels next to Patrick Paul and have a really reliable player there. I think that's kind of the next intrigue piece that I have as far as Patrick Paul, another name that I'm really excited about is Nick Westbrook Akine. I think he has a chance to be just an awesome ad for the physicality that he brings. He's not going to command a lot of targets. Dolphins have a lot of capable pass catchers as it is, so to have a guy who can make plays down the field, I think he has a chance to ingratiate himself with this fan base in the same way that Matt Collins did when Mack was here and everywhere that Mac has gone since, that fan base has been bummed when Matt Collinson. So I get this sense like Nick plays the same brand of football, with the same like down the field strength to his game, plus the physicality element and a lot of diversity is a blocker. So I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 1: At I'm excited about the offense in general. With those editions you talk about there, I think, you know, right now, it's kind of like what's the defense gonna look like come opening Day? You kind of you kind of have a feeling what the offense could look like. Sands a position or two here or there. Just real quick, Kyle, I know that this the nice part about James Daniels is he can do both because he has done both.
Speaker 2: Do you think he's better at left guard or right guard?
Speaker 3: I think he's a chance to make the biggest impact at left guard, Okay, next to Patrick Paul. And that, to me is what that one is all about. Is not just maximizing yourself in an individual position, but maximizing the impact on the stability that you can give a young guy next to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the concept of you know, having your five your best unit compared to your best five individuals, and that could certainly help them get out.
Speaker 2: But I can see off the right side too.
Speaker 1: But I see both sides in the argument for both of those and what a benefit to have the flexibility to be able to do both. And we'll see who the other guard is come draft night, come free agency coom a guy that wins the job in camp, we'll find out. Let's go ahead and take our last break right there with the great Kyle Krabs here on the Draft Time podcast. Next we're getting into the draft. Pick number thirteen coming up, brought to you by Auto Nation. We've gone through the offseason, talked about general NFL salary, cap management, everything in between, and now it's time to get into our draft talk extravaganza here with the Great Kyle Krabs locked on Dolphins Podcast thirty thirteen, NFL Draft Lead, and a whole bunch of other sites that he contributes for Kyle Pick thirteen Man. Last time we were up here was Christian Wilkins. The time before that was LARRYE. Tunzel. It's been a good spot for us, a good number for the Miami Dolphins. Of course, the greatest quarterback of all time war that number is well. I mean I made a comment on my Friday podcast about how I've kind of like talked about the same names over and over again and the potential for thirteen, and I feel like it's different than what I see from other shows and content creators that kind of will give you a take and get out into the weeds in March and maybe bril it back in by April. But I've kind of been on the same four or five six names for the whole time. Do you find yourself doing the exact same thing or have you kind of veered from the original thought, Like what has your process been like for potential first round picks with Miami Dolphins, has a change a lot?
Speaker 2: Has it been steady? What do you think, man?
Speaker 3: So once I've once I've tailored my my grades to be custom for the Dolphins and their scheme based off of what we know and understand about it. It kind of it did give me a list of what I feel is the thirteen names that I would be dialed in on, Hey, potentially getting one of these guys. But the margins as far as a guy who's maybe in the next tier down is still fairly slim. You could probably give me like twenty names and I'd be like, okay, Like I get it. And some of that's because of some of the vacancies that exist on the roster. I have my personal favorites, Like I think today Baron is an outstanding You talk about cater Coho and the versatility that he brings to the table, and Baron, the question is does he get to thirteen and just kind of the Will Johnson pre draft process yield you know Jday, Baron going before him, and how early does cornerback become a thing? How many of these tight ends. You keep hearing some buzz that team's really really multiple teams really really like not just one but two tight ends. No, do you get a couple of tight ends? Do you get two three quarterbacks that go? And if all that happens in the top twelve, maybe Jday Baron's there for you, or maybe it's Will Johnson. But you could tell me you go corner. You could tell me there's an option at defensive tackle. You could tell me there's an option on the offensive line. You can tell me there's an option to see It's like, yeah, I'm not really gonna argue with a lot of a lot of the potential that you have here.
Speaker 1: So it's almost like the work is I mean, you do the work to find out the player is before time, but it's like the work really starts once you draft the player and start figuring out exactly what how he fits in the system. Because to your point, there are so many guys, Like I don't know how you could possibly like conjure up which one's the best option, But I guess I'll ask it to you this way. Let's go through those three positions you just talked about, the corner, the defensive tackle, and the safeties. I'm not gonna get into a line because's there's just too much to parse out there. But like Baron and Johnson's what's the difference there, Like what would each selection signal in terms of how this defense wants to go?
Speaker 2: Would it be different?
Speaker 3: I think today Baron would give you a lot of ambiguity when you think about Melafon when his versatility at safety, and then you add in cater Coo who with his inside outside and then there's times where he's in the nickel and then he inverts and he's playing deep half as a safety, and then Jenay Barron can do all that same stuff. And I think you have two guys that are really feisty and physical, even though they're not the biggest guys. If it's barn that I feel good about their insight to play the run. Where you know cater is in nick goal, that's a high stress run defender position as well. And Baron's one of the best run defending players in the class of any secondary player. So that to me is on either side of the field field en boundary, you have a player on potentially the outside or potentially in the inside depending on the formation, that you can just be really interchangeable with not just the safety rotation, but the entire shell inversion in rotation. That's the exciting piece for Baron.
Speaker 1: For me, So it could almost be like you're not talking about cornerback one two three, safety one two three, it's like dB one through five almost in that sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and today Baron said its PROTA. Teams have talked to me about playing outside, teams are talking to me about playing inside, and teams are talking to me about playing safety. And interesting, you know, to know that to have the proof of concept with that, with last year how they used cater at times, you have two of that now. It just exponentially and it compounds where I think it just gives you so much flexibility with how to run your zone defenses off of man presentations.
Speaker 1: I'm smiling because, like I've gone back and forth in these two guys so much. It's either one I'm happy with because they're both really good football players, but I keep going back and forth these guys.
Speaker 2: You might just plut me again back to the Texas guy. I don't know what we'll see.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a tough decision for me in terms of what they should do when they get to that spot on the board, and you know to that point, like, I like that cornerback spot because it would satisfy one of the biggest needs in the roster. It could be the best player on the board when you draft, when you're on the board at thirteen, but it also could be it's also the most premium position of the perceived needs. Right, So I think it satisfies three inches. They're a scratches three inches. Got about ten minutes left here, Kyle, So just keep that in mind. A couple more questions for you here with that, because I talked about the cornerbacks, what about defensive tech? We I think Mason Graham probably gone. Do you agree with that by the time we pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the tea leaves right now are saying Graham and Jacksonville is pretty It's gonna be a pretty popular mock draft projection. So I do not expect Graham. We'll sniff the Dolphins at thirteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll leave him off. He was wearing the Jag shirt on that video that he deleted the day. A little bit of a tail.
Speaker 1: There, but no, we got so Kenneth Grant is a guy that's an option there. Walter Nolan and then Derek Harmon. I think are the three defensive tackles that are being talked about in this range. Maybe there's one that you don't agree with, But in terms of what those guys possibly could mean should the Dolphins go in those directions, the Michigan D tackle, the Ole Miss and Organ D tackles, what would those different picks signify in terms of what the Dolphins are looking for?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the thing that's really interesting about this trio is it's three very different stylistic players. Yeah, where Kenneth Grant, he's not a nose but he is more of a occupier. He is more of a gap control kind of player, even if he's not living in a nose tackle type role all the time at Michigan. Dereck Harmon is more of a penetration style player, but a big bodied, long penetration style player who's I think capable of playing a three. I think he's capable of playing four eyes as an odd front end on an inside shade on an offensive tackle, or playing head up on an offensive tackle and living outside a little bit more. Whereas Walter Nolan is a little bit more of the true undersized penetration three technique shoot a bunch of gaps, create a bunch of interior chaos. So I think the select if all three of them were on the board and they chose to actively pick one, I think it would tell you quite a bit about what their visions are for what the front is going to look like this year, just because those are three very differently defined arc types of players.
Speaker 1: And so it kind of sounds like the first pick of the draft could almost inform you for the rest of the draft in terms of how they want to build this thing out. I think the safety the two safeties you talk about here are another example of that, because Malachai starks and Nicki man Worry are entirely different players, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, Where's I think there's a good amount of versatility with both players, but in different ways. I think starks Is is probably a much cleaner projection to playing on the roof as a high post player. But you want to be able to get him into the slot. You want to be able to get him onto the second level at times, so having a complimentary safety there is important. I think the versatility that the Dolphins have brought in would be helpful in allowing that to all tie together, whereas Emon worry you think about some of the speed and physicality that they brought in a linebacker with bringing back dots In and brit and Gay and now Emon worriy. I think he kind of slots into that area of the field a little bit more as compared to consistently being up or living in the high post as a free safety, where you're really taking away all the freakish athleticism in the ways that he can impact your run fit spacing and collisioning and playing physical in zone coverage or in man coverage, and your pressure packages or your simulated pressures where maybe you're running that nickel pressure that Jalen Ramsey got a bunch of tip balls on last year coming off the edge, and maybe that's even Worri And you know that for me is where he fits the best. So I think, do you want to continue to lean into the pressure oriented style and have a weapon because that's Emn Worri's game. Do you want a guy who can kind of be the glue piece with your nickel and your two safeties to kind of tie the interior of your shell together. That's Malachi Stars.
Speaker 1: The seven names we just talked about as potential picks at number thirteen, all on the defensive side of the football. That could give coach Weaver a nice chest piece there to move around the defense and kind of be a staple in his unit here going forward for hopefully a couple of years and beyond that too. So there's no offensive player if you talked about there, Kyle, I do want to do a mock draft at the end of the next episode tomorrow with you, but just taking a look at all the guys we has talked about, you can also give me somebody else of those seven players, who's the one you would want to pick the most if they're all on the board. And would there be an additional off the radar guy we didn't talk about that would be part of that group, And would that off the radar guy jump the top player in this group before you?
Speaker 2: So does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes sense. And the answers, no, I don't have a name. I don't have a name off of that. And the reason why is this. I took all the three hundred players that I have and I converted them to Dolphins specific raids and the top of the board is Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter Jaday Bear. Yeah, and I think he is a tailor made fit for so much. And you could have the debates about positional value if you don't think he's an outside guy. There's enough versatility in the secondary where it does not phase me one bit. He tackles, he's got the big play geen. He's physical, he's explosive, he ran in the fourth threes. The only thing you're not liking is he's not six foot one with thirty three inch arms to be like that prototype freak guy that lives outside. But super high character guy, very impressive when you listen to him talk super high football IQ. I think each every single box I am looking for in a player that's a culture guy, a glue guy, a difference maker, a versutile chess piece all in one player.
Speaker 1: Can I be committed to the process without being emotionally attached to the result. One of my favorite quotes the players ever said at the combine or anywhere, but he said it at the Combine this year?
Speaker 2: Did jday Baron? That sounds like that's your pick, Kyle Krabs.
Speaker 1: So there's your first pick of the Kyle Krabs locked on Dolphins Drive Time mock draft, as we give it the longest title possible. We'll do the rest of it on tomorrow's episode, talking about Kyle's horizontal board. We'll talk about picks forty eight, ninety eight, uh one, sixteen, one, thirty five, one fifty one, fifty five, going through everything Dolphins Draft tomorrow on the show with KFC as we call him around here, Kyle freaking crabs at Kyle Krabs on Social, Locked on Dolphins podcast, Locked on NFL Scouting, author of Touchdown Miami, NFL Draft lead for the thirty third team. Kyle, appreciate it, man. We'll see you here again in two seconds.
Speaker 3: Sounds a good draft.
Speaker 2: He sold your Don Willod Trooper.
Speaker 1: He's been for us here on the show with no voice, doing about an hour and a half with me. The rest of that conversation tomorrow on the podcast, talking all things Dolphins Draft. Until then, you all please be sure subscribe, rate, review the show. Follow me on social at Wingfold NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank with Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel. New episode of Dolphins HQ dropped on Thursday, taking a look at the draft class. Patrick Paul's film, and a heck of a lot more, and last, but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com.
Speaker 2: Until next time. Finns up, Caroline and Cameron. Daddy, he's coming home.