Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Zaren Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 2: But I'm doing pretty good about you?
Speaker 3: Hey, pal, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Nice, you look good, you look like you're happy and uh, you got your energies all balanced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same with you. You've got a great or say you have incredibly skin and a.
Speaker 2: Beautiful aura in the beds of my nails.
Speaker 3: Christine listen, Yes, you know it's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I do. So you want to be pointed out to me a while back, this like couple that they're like your crazy erratic friend or what it's like an Instagram meme or these two comedians. Oh yeah, come in telling a story?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I wish I could remember what they're called, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember them either.
Speaker 3: It's type B front now something else.
Speaker 4: But yeah, your friend who's like always just coming in with like you did wait what and they're very casual about it.
Speaker 3: And the guy, the one guy is always there's always one that involves Wells Fargo Bank. Yeah, I'll find it somewhere because I got to watch the.
Speaker 4: Yeah baby can get the interns of puzzing on Instagram. Yeah, yeah, okay, so I thought of that. With this story about this girl named Caitlyn Maxwell. She's twenty two years old from smalltown, Mississippi, a place called Ellesville, population forty six hundred and fifty two souls.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So she was out driving her twenty seventeen Dodge Challenger, Okay, yep, and it was about nine forty PM when she got pulled over by the police. So you kind of got a picture going right so far I do. So it turns out that that wasn't it. When the police got up to the driver's side window, they found that old Caitlyn Maxwell, twenty two years old, in her twenty seventeen Dodge Challenger, was driving buck naked among us.
Speaker 3: You you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's not all, Elizabeth, because then the officers noticed a strong odor of recently smoked marijuana. So she's driving around high buck naked in her twenty seventeen she.
Speaker 3: Thinks, she says, Matthew McConaughey, right, and.
Speaker 2: Then the cops looked down and they noticed a glock handgun at her feet.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, oh, at her feet, at.
Speaker 4: Her feet the driver's side and her feet like in the footwell. And then there was another glock wedge between the passenger seat and the center console, like she didn't get done hiding it. The cops were like, do you mind popping your trunk? So they pop her trunk and then they find a third glock and two AR fifteen's that had been outfitted with this special switch that makes them fully automatic.
Speaker 2: Was very illegal. So the cops are like, where did you get this? Like armory of weaponry, and please, here's a towel. Put this on while we talk to you. And then they find out.
Speaker 4: She's like, well, my boyfriend he uses a three D printer and he makes these switches. And the cops are like, where's your boyfriend lives? And they go to her boyfriend's house and then they arrest him too, for making the illegal three D printed switches.
Speaker 2: Stocks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly like machine gun conversion kids basically. And so he also had a small arsenal at his place, you know. Luckily apparently he was clothed. So yeah, I thought I thought of those Instagram couple which I was driving my twenty seventeen Touch Challenger and I got pulled over, and then that's not the story at all.
Speaker 3: Offense to dudes who drive a Dodge Challenger. We like your chaotic energy. But you know, it's it's a.
Speaker 4: Car that says, you know, like the Dodge hell Cat. There's a few of them. It just says like, I'm not afraid of you, officers.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what.
Speaker 3: That is ridiculous. And you want to know what else is ridiculous?
Speaker 2: Please? I got the time.
Speaker 3: Selling lies, holding hateful rallies, and scanning people left and right, only to wind up penniless and alone. That's ridiculous and satisfying, if I do say so myself.
Speaker 2: You just said it.
Speaker 3: This is Ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous caper's hests and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh you damn right.
Speaker 3: Hmmm that the crooked politician is a total trope, you know, But all the same, they do ridiculous things, and when you're in the thick of them, it's hard to find it funny. But time softens it a little, and at least we hope and we can find the humor in audacious, opportunistic, vulgar, narcissistic grift.
Speaker 2: We can at some point there's a lot of grift for the milk exactly.
Speaker 3: At least I'm hoping that's the case for us in the future with regard to our current state of things, and the case for us today with someone from more than one hundred years ago.
Speaker 4: Oh some distance to the comedy is it? It's comedy. Is a tragedy plus timing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it equals comedy. The guy has a name that sounds made up to American ears, Horatio Bottomly Bottomly. Yeah, right, it's like something I would do in the credits. Yeah, exactly, Horatio Bottomly. He ends the world in East London in eighteen sixty and the world did not really roll out the welcome.
Speaker 2: Matt for this, hey, mister Bottomley.
Speaker 3: No, his father was a tailor's cutter and also a serious alcoholic.
Speaker 2: And in that order, I hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, well he wound up in an asylum with the tremors and all, and he died when Horatio was just three.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's quite the blow.
Speaker 3: His mother followed shortly after passing away, and so he was an orphan by the time it was five. Oh man, so funny, huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody contact Dickens.
Speaker 3: So there was how one interesting branch of the family tree. His mother's side sat squarely in the Victorian radical left.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: His uncle was George Jacob Holyoake, the man who coined the terms secularism and jingoism. Oh really he did both.
Speaker 4: Love jingo Is and also I love his work with mounts like Mount Holio.
Speaker 3: Mount Holyo exactly. Maybe. He also co founded the National Secular Society. He ran a rationalist socialist journal. He paled around with the atheist liberal MP Charles Bradlaw, and he later became a fixture of the cooperative movement, which I talked about before. So young Horatio lived with him for a time.
Speaker 2: Guy had somebody, yeah, and somebody so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But then he was packed off to this really grim Birmingham orphanage. It didn't last long, no, but he lived there for five years at the orphanage, and then he ran away when he was fourteen to go live with an aunt. Four years with the uncles Angela, Yeah, exactly, exactly. And so then what follows is the string of just dead end jobs. At one point he does an apprenticeship in wood engraving. That was a bust. But then he got this gig as an office boy at a City of London's solicitors firm. Okay, and then there's something clicked. He became genuinely fascinated by the law, and he read up on it obsessively, and the knowledge would prove professionally useful later. So he learned Pittman's shorthand and he moved to a firm that transcribed court proceedings. Now, Pittman's shorthand is a writing system that was invented by Sir Isaac Pittman. Oh there it is, I know, in eighteen thirty seven. So it was designed to let people write as fast as someone speaks, and so you don't spell words out letter by letter. It's like sounds using simple strokes, curves, dots, dashes.
Speaker 2: Is that the keyboard that a court reporter uses.
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 2: It leads to those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's basically phonetic rather than alphabetic. So knee and ned start with the same symbol because they start with the same sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah alphabet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Meanwhile, okay, So Bottomly he reconnected with Uncle George, who introduced him to that atheist liberal MP, Charles bradlaw Right. He liked Bottomly. Bradlaugh liked Bottomly enough to bring him into his political orbit, and that connection got the liberals attention. They're like, who's this Bottomly kid.
Speaker 2: And his ambitious orphans everything we love.
Speaker 3: And he's great at transcribing. In age eighty seven, Bottomly stood as their candidate in the Hornsey by election.
Speaker 2: Oh, they really loved him on the ballot.
Speaker 3: They were like warm for his form. Yeah, so Bottomly he's short on cash.
Speaker 2: That's not new to him in politics.
Speaker 3: He had to be clever, so he convinced his opponent HC. Stevens of Stephen's Ink I n K so like an eight company you to lend him the money for his own campaign.
Speaker 2: He got his opponent to pay for his campaign.
Speaker 3: Which he did. Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: Did his opponent think, I mean easily beat you?
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like did Stevens won the seat and then Bottomley never paid him back. He was like, got you, suck. They both got what they wanted, right, But now everyone knows who Bottomly is. He's got his name out there.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: Around around this time, he also married a woman named Eliza, which he'd go on to have a daughter with a girl named Florence. Like business wise, things are moving fast for Horatio. By the mid eighteen eighties, he was a founding partner in this big publishing firm, and before the end of the decade he'd landed a contract to publish Hansward, which is Parliament's official record of debates. Oh okay and so eighteen eighty eight. He then went on to co found The Financial Times, where he briefly employed this sub editor named Alfred Harmsworth. Hasworth was the future Lord Northcliffe and the eventual press baron of the Daily Mail.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks did yeah?
Speaker 3: Good on? So Bottomly's he that fund he overreached almost immediately he had a falling out with a business partner that cost him his magazines. In May of eighteen ninety one, he had like floated hanswerd publishing union in the stock market and then it just the publishing unit just collapsed under a bunch of debt over one hundred thousand pounds, So that's nearly fifteen million dollars in today's money and debt went quote missing. Oh and I like you first had to do the UK inflation calculator, then the currency. So Bottomley gets charged with conspiracy to defraud. Everyone assumes that he's going to get convicted. He's going to get this long sentence well, I mean and partly because he defended himself. He didn't hire a solicitor, didn't hire a lawyer. That's not a good move, no, not for something this big. But he charmed the judge into his corner and then he watched as the jury acquitted him in minutes.
Speaker 2: The jury and the judge went for it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, everyone loves them stars born baby.
Speaker 4: Oh he's a future politicians ever, I heard of one.
Speaker 3: Eighteen ninety three old boy went bankrupt, doesn't and yet he escaped it in classic fashion. So he paid off creditors with these sketchy shares in Australian gold mines that didn't like, I mean, if we're going to be full disclosure, they didn't really exist yet.
Speaker 2: Oh, so they were going to be mine futures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so he founded the Joint Stock Trust and Institute to float these gold mining ventures. They're like fifty companies in all, and most of them were like basically like someone went out and dug a hole in the ground.
Speaker 4: They're like, that's my company, and the company is a shell company in terms of like the PaperWorks the company.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And so the vast no, no, the vast majority went into liquidation and then they were like quietly quote reconstructed under new names. And then bottom would get all these burned shareholders of the dead company to buy into the shiny new one at a steep discount.
Speaker 2: He'd burn him again. Oh yeah, I thought, you get them together and just like sue the former company that need.
Speaker 3: Taking well and sometimes though like by accident, really it would it would work. So he had shares in the Great Boulder Minds that he'd picked up at two shillings eventually hit thirteen pounds.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that's a big lift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so the trust's stated purpose was to enrich shareholders, obviously through these subsidiaries, but it's really enriching Bottomly. So even the money meant to repay his original creditors mostly arrived in the form of you know, you guessed it, shares in yet another linked company. One defrauded investor, this guy, mister Platt. He showed up at Bottomly's flat with a gun and he threatened to shoot him unless his money was returned. And Bottomly is like turns on the charm. He's like, let me show you how it's done. Just like absolutely just bedazzles this guy. He pulls out Champagne. By the end of the evening.
Speaker 2: He gives them like the full con price.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he had not only kept Platt's original money, but then he talked him into writing a fresh check for four thousand pounds.
Speaker 2: Got more.
Speaker 3: This guy's amazing. Another Mark, Robert Masters. This was a wealthy retired Indian civil service official. He put ninety thousand pounds into that worthless Bottomly paper, ninety thousand pounds. He then fled London in shame and kept the lost secret. And then years later, like his memory is failing, and he gets one of Bottomly's mailers offering to make his old victims whole, so he gives Bottomly another forty two thousand dollars. He died penniless and then he has daughter sued Bottomly in nineteen eleven and she won. But then Bottomly was like, that's fantastic, but I'm about to go bankrupt again, so you're never gonna see a penny of that.
Speaker 2: You can't pay that judgment horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just loves bankruptcies.
Speaker 2: Sorry pockets.
Speaker 3: When a judge ruled against him and then council branded him the cleverest thief in the Empire, bottomly was like unmoved. He stood up and demanded that the jury condemn his accusers as the most disreputable blackmailers around.
Speaker 2: How dare they?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Between eighteen ninety three and nineteen twenty two, he appeared in court like one hundred and twenty different cases bankruptcy's debt claims, you name it was. He tanked, absolutely not, had no effect.
Speaker 2: He's doing like five years.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. So with a track record like that, it makes sense that politics would be his next move. Of course, So he lost an election bid in nineteen hundred and a newspaper called him a fraudulent company promoter and share pusher during the campaign, so he sued the paper for libel. Once again, he represented himself, and once again he was victorious. He got awarded one thousand pounds in damages for being described with what history would later confirm is absolutely perfect accuracy. And they're descriptions, yes, exactly. So around nineteen around nineteen oh two, he bought a struggling London evening newspaper, The Sun. No I should know, it's not the same tabloid Sun that exists today, but laying the groundwork for tabloids to come, he gave it a gossip column that he wrote himself under the title The World, the Flesh and the Devil. Wow, right, and he just like positively dished on the great and good of politics, law finance. It was not a big hit and.
Speaker 4: Was it accurate at all in terms of gossip level. He's making stuff ups.
Speaker 2: He's inventors.
Speaker 3: How do you know this? So the sun is floundering. He sells it in nineteen oh four, and you know he's kind of running out of money. Nineteen oh six, he finally wins a seat in parliament, so he's running.
Speaker 4: He keeps running, so he's like whatever, like yeah, over four and then finally he wins.
Speaker 3: His fast exactly so he gets voted in as Liberal MP for Hackney South.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've actually heard of this, right, Okay, there we.
Speaker 3: Are, and you know where we are. One of his campaign tactics was hiring men in steel sold boots, not steel toad, steel sold boots to stomp around outside of his opponent's rallies so that no one could hear the speeches.
Speaker 4: What are we talking? Steel sold like it's on the bottom like tap dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you just have like Gregory Hines out there's.
Speaker 2: A glover that's a big Brobinson.
Speaker 3: Once he gets into the alas of Commons. He was such a compelling and magnetic speaker that other MP's made a point of never missing him if he seems to be his gift. Yeah, yeah, So he held that seat until nineteen twelve.
Speaker 4: I think that the people would also like quote from him, Like they want to hear what he's going to do, and they pull some rhetoric.
Speaker 3: Now no, I think they're just like, just enjoy this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like a good showman exactly.
Speaker 3: So. The New York Times described him as quote an effective orator and possesses personal magnetism, which has enabled him to retain his seat in Parliament in spite of the notoriety he has gained through his financial record. So like he radiates this boozy warmth of like a saloon regular, and so much so that one writer claimed that he inspired the loud, incorrigible toad of toad haul in the wind of the will. Oh wow, it's the only writer to say that, And it's cute but incorrect. But you know, I see where he's going with it. So we've got this loud mouth, shady bankruptcy loving, litigious course, showman, businessman slash politician. He's amusing to people. He's a character, and he's only gonna get worse. It sounds va Yeah, let's stop here for some ads, and when we return, we'll see what else this guy has up his sleeve. Zaren Horatio bottom Le ratio. This guy not your man. He launched John Bull, which was a jingoistic, I mean, it's a family term, chauvinistic, crude penny weekly, pitched at working men who liked beer sports that it is. It was like an early lad mag and he wrote most of it himself.
Speaker 2: Was he think he was connected enough to He is really jocular and I guess he does have the gift of gab. So you didn't get that on paper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he realized, like, this is what people want, So he serves up this cocktail of salacious gossip, genuine investigative journalism, really loud, opinionated commentary, and lurid exposees of sexual depravity and degradation in name for John Bull.
Speaker 2: So you get like this connection to Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so his old the World, the Flesh and the Devil column got pride of place. He brings it back at the front of every issue. But the gossip in it. Now he had this credibility now because it's coming from a sitting MP is writing this, so people are like, well, maybe I will listen to what he's saying. It's like old timey tweets. And so since everything was a hustle, each copy had a unique serial number, and ten of those numbers would win small prizes announced in the next issue. That made sure readers just kept buying papers.
Speaker 2: So it's also a raffle.
Speaker 3: Essentially, everyone likes to think they're about to come into some money, yes, and so it's like a rolling raffle.
Speaker 2: I read it and I could win.
Speaker 3: And I could win. And then there were the sweepstakes. So this was a regular John Bull feature and in all likelihood frequently rigged. So British law was, let's say, inconvenient. So he ran the sweepstakes out of Switzerland. The first one offered fifteen thousand pounds on the nineteen thirteen Derby. How much fifteen thousand pounds? Now, there's something significant about that race. There was a tragedy. A suffragette died running in front of the King's horse. Oh, a protest.
Speaker 2: Move I've seen this reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so this threw the whole result into chaos. Not really a good way to start the sweepstakes, but whatever, he just keeps going. So rigged or not. These sweepstakes, they hauled in around two hundred and seventy thousand pounds for bottom Lank in one later draw. The announced twenty five thousand pounds winner, which is like five million dollars. Yeah, I imagined was a blind widow from Toulouse named Madame Glucad.
Speaker 2: Does she exists, Well, she.
Speaker 3: Was actually the sister of like one of Bottomly's little cronies, and so there's this huge burst of publicity. Oh my god, she want all this money. She vanished and she it was reported, well, no, she was fleeing this avalanche of marriage proposals, so she had to go under tract he it looks when they actually looked at the books, she got paid two hundred and fifty pounds for her trouble. That's like fifty g's today, and then Bottomly kept the rest.
Speaker 4: And the Swiss is the one sanctioning this legally. Is there anything the Swiss care about? Money clocks, chocolate and money.
Speaker 3: Clocks, chocolate, money and knives. There's a woman's spinoff magazine, Missus Bull, that got launched in nineteen ten. Lady Bull. Yeah, it died quickly. It's it's better than it didn't take off. So the bills eventually arrived, though, and in nineteen twelve one of his mining stock victims sued successfully.
Speaker 2: Oh and bodily got a bunch of them in the course.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but he couldn't pay. Plus he was at this point two hundred and thirty three thousand pounds in debt. So he goes bankrupt a second time, and he had to surrender his parliamentary seat bankrupt. So his spending habits didn't help this whole thing. Because he owned a stable of racehorses, even though he had no eye whatsoever for horseflesh, you know, to saying that. Okay, so most of them were just duds, and he was known to bet and lose the modern equivalent of like hundreds of thousands of dollars in a single day at the track. What yeah, he was just he went nuts. So he had gambling debts. Imagine being on horse, No cannot, I cannot. He actually, of all his debts, the gambling debts were the only ones that he felt he was honor bound to pay.
Speaker 2: Or scared about it.
Speaker 3: We're scared of the hard bed coming at him. Yeah. So despite this lack of horse racing acumen, he kept at it, and he looked for ways to put his thumb on the scale in like the most successful way possible at the track. Zaren closed your eyes. I want you to picture it. It's nineteen thirteen. You are in the seaside resort town of Blankenberg's, Belgium. You're visiting, but you're at work. Really, you're a lady in waiting to Sophie, Duchess of Hohenburg, wife of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. The couple loved vacation here in Blankenberge, and you certainly don't mind it either. After this trip, the next one you'll take his next summer in Sarajevo. You here, it's beautiful there, But for now you are in a special wing of the Grand Hotel de ban and Del family. The Archduke's sister, arch Duchess Elizabeth Amalie of Austria and her husband, Prince Alois of Liechtenstein and his niece arch Duchess Marie Valerie of Austria are also there. The group of them have gone this morning to attend daily services at church. The Duchess told you to take the day off and be back in the early afternoon. She wants you to get out and see the town, get some air. You won't argue with that. As you stroll down these charming streets, peeking in shop windows and enjoying this bit of free time, you see a sign horse race. It's about to start down the promenade any minute now. You do so love going to the track. You make it to the track just as the jockeys are preparing to get to the gates. You can hear the waves crashing on the shore. In the distance. There's a rotund man in an ill fitting suit addressing all six of the jockeys. He hands them each and en open barks out. Remember your first, your second, You there are third, your fourth? Hey, you listen to me, you're number five and you you're dead last? Got it? Curious? The horse's nay? You know a fixed race. When you see one, You're half tempted to go put some money on the first horse, but decide not to. That would be dirty money and it would bring only darkness with it. Despite what you are sure is the predetermined result of this race, you still opt to watch. You make your way into the stands and take a seat. Gruff men betting slips in hand, push their ways up to the railing. The horses take their spots at the gates. You look at the sky and you notice it's getting a little dark. Not rain, no fog. The fog is coming in. It's thick, and it's fast approaching. A foghorn sounds down the coast. By the time the starting pistol is shot, visibility.
Speaker 2: Is near zero.
Speaker 3: You can no longer see the gates, but you do hear the hammering of hoofs as they pass by. The betters shout and complain around the track the horses go. They need to complete three laps of this little track. You still can't see much, but you hear the horses and the impassioned cries of those with money riding on the steeds they can't see. As you hear what will be the third passing of the horses, you know that the end of the race is quickly approaching. The finish line is just down the track from where you're sitting. Whether you'll be able to see anything or not. Who knows? This will make for a great dinner anecdote, though you are sure of that. Just as the hoofs get louder and thunder your way, the fog parts sun fights through, you can see. And what you see is that the horses are not in any way in the order prescribed by that bellering man in the suit before the race, not one bit. They obviously couldn't see one another to figure out how to pace, they rode wine. You smirk to yourself and smug satisfaction for opting not to place a bed. The flags go up, and the men in the crowd shout and complain what kind of race was that? They yell, we couldn't see a thing. When you catch sight of the man in the suit, another gentleman approaches him. Bottomly Bottomly, he yells, what the devil happened? Bottomley's faces flush with anger. What happened? I'm out of fortune? Give me my champagne, he yells. You check the delicate watch you keep pinned inside your coat sleeve. You must get going. Time to get back to the hotel and prepare the duchess for dinner later that evening. What a day. Yes, this man tried to rig it and the fog was so thick. Uh huh, couldn't tell me, couldn't tell anything. Nobody knows anything. So it's like he can't even like successfully. That's like the most surefire way pay. All the jockeys inside the order can't do it.
Speaker 2: Guess you're basically running a play then with horses.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. So Bottomly's betting was busted, but John Bull kept booming. So between nineteen fourteen and nineteen eighteen it's sold between one and two million copies per issue. It was the most red magg in Britain, and the war handed Bottomly his greatest role yet professional patriot of course. Yes, so after the government declined his generous offer to serve as director of recruiting, he like appointed himself an unofficial one. He's like, I'm just going to go out and recruit boys. Yeah, yeah, exactly. So he staged these enormous rallies that whip crowds into like this froth of patriotic and anti German fervor. From late nineteen fifteen to the war's end, he delivered three hundred and forty lectures. He was averaging like two a week for three years. Tickets, Yeah, tickets were expensive, and after venue and travel costs, the rest of it went like right to him, He's making a ton of money.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: His performances were literally metered to the box office. So if a Knight's take was under seventy five, audiences got a subdued like invocation of King and Empire and then the band would play the anthem or YMCA, I don't know. If the take cleared seventy five pounds, he'd go like full throated, like this crescendo about Britain standing shoulder to shoulder as the land of hope and glory, and then the band would like swell beneath him, and then the audience singing the anthem would just drown him out.
Speaker 2: Yes, Queen and Empire exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So in early nineteen fifteen, Lord Norcliffe, remember the former sub editor Alfred Harmsworth, right Daily Mail baron and now owner of half a Fleet Street. He offered bottomly a column in the New Sunday Pictorial and bottom is a yeah, sure, I'll take a column, and so then he like submitted peace after piece that were just recycled pieces of his speeches yeah, his greatest hits, and that got him one hundred and fifty pounds in issues. So it was like twenty seven thousand dollars today being a is he man is dollars? Yeah? Yeah per one.
Speaker 2: Journals used to having money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now its dead. Uh so uh, he's busy, right, So he started farming out the actual writing to the John bullstaff. Wow, he's not even doing his He would approve, Yeah, he'd approve the copy and then put like a little personal flourish at the end, you know, riff a little to leave a little. He paid the ghost writers kept the healthy margin, demonstrating once again that the public will swallow anything with his name on it. If his name's on it, they're in. And so his anti German rhetoric, though, is like curdling into something genuinely disgusting.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's getting so prejudiced and bias, it's like beyond.
Speaker 3: He told readers that if they found out that there was a German waiter serving their soup, they had to hurl the soup in his face, and that if like a German clerk at the next desk was there, that they should empty the ink pot over his head and it's just yeah, like just basically harass him. He he called for the extermination of ordinary Germans, so he's like ramping it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. He argued that not the Kaiser, the German German people.
Speaker 3: He argued that Germans living in Britain should be badged whenever they left home and then deported as soon as you know they could be It's like he's laying out the Nazi blueprint. Yes, yeah, and the Germans. This actually is kind of interesting. So in print he declared that an unnatural beast could not be naturalized, it had to be exterminated. So he's just dehumanizing.
Speaker 2: Specifically Germans.
Speaker 3: And within days of that article, anti German riots just irrupt across Britain. So he's just lighting the fires. But don't forget is the biggest publication in Britain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's also very macho, and you're getting an audience that has already kind of like exactly, let's just say full of themselves.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, so like top hatted bankers they got together at the stock exchange steps to say all right, no Germans should remain in the city. So it wasn't just like the working people. He's got everybody top down. Smithfield porters wore signs around their necks refusing to trade with Germans. Patriotism is like excellent for business. I guess major firms grew so nervous of bottomly that they bought ads in John Bull to advertise their Britishness. He had businesses bending the knee. So two brands, Lions and Bovril, they both used his pages to insist that every one of their directors was British, and then De la Ruepenn's they ran an ad that kind of insinuated that their rival Waterman's was selling through an Austrian firm, and that prompted Watermans to then go and buy a full page rebuttal.
Speaker 2: We had nothing to do with the Austrian Hungarian Empire exactly.
Speaker 3: So John Bull even ignited a film world scandal by accusing the makers of this epic biopic the life Story of David Lloyd George of German Sympathies and the Ideal Film Company was the production company. They sued and they won in January nineteen nineteen, but the film never saw daylight because parties acting for Lloyd George himself then Prime Minister, and a Bottomly acquaintance. They bought up all the prints for twenty thousand pounds. Wow. So nineteen seventeen, the War Office accepted Bottomley's proposal for like a morale boosting tour of the Western Front. Yes, and it was judged enough of a success with the troops that he was sent to review the Grand Fleet.
Speaker 2: See's like I had that hateful Bob Hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or hateful Bob Hope is a good one. So the Sunday pictorial they chipped in one thousand pounds toward expenses, even though he was traveling on official bus business and hosted by the Army the entire time, so he's double dipping kind of like a golf trip. So the tour did reveal one genuine hardship of trench life. There was tragically a champagne shortage, so Bottomly he was like visibly listless. His letters home were just like subdued. He didn't have his like vigor.
Speaker 2: So wait, this man is drinking that much.
Speaker 3: Champagne that he was running on champagne. He was offered a drink in the officer's mess and he was like, I don't drink anything but the very driest champagne and turned it down, and there just wasn't any of the very driest champagne.
Speaker 4: I've never, by the way, considered somebody who could be a champagne alcoholic. That's all they drink, and they get mean if they don't have it.
Speaker 3: They get too much sullen if he doesn't have it. But you know, he's braver than the troops really just to be there without his champers. I need a quick break from this guy. Okay, let's listen to some ads and when we get back rock Bottomly.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Near the end of World War One, the government issued new war saving certificates, and Bottomly is like, what's that smell opportunity? Smell in the air. So, through John Bull, he invited the public to send him money. Your money in your head, buy certificates on their behalf.
Speaker 2: If it's so loose in your pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, and you know what, I'll buy this the certificates for you, and then we're gonna have prizes drawn for lucky winners. And there's always the sweepstakes. There's always some crazy. So the scheme was like.
Speaker 4: He offers a sweepstakes on top of the saving certificate. So that where they're like, oh, I definitely gonna play the one rhyme, also be a winner.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I'm going to pay for the war and and so then he The thing is is that he aimed for like fifty pounds to come in. He took in nearly double that everyone's just like, take my money please. Winning numbers were published, but winners' names were not. So there's that between this scheme and like his lecture profits. He had collected enough money to discharge his bankruptcy and become eligible for parliament again.
Speaker 2: Because he was back to the red yeah, yeah for the black.
Speaker 3: And so in nineteen eighteen he was voted back in for Hackney South this time is a right wing independent Oh okay, yeah, And so I mean that's how he's being politically.
Speaker 2: No, it makes a lot of sense. But I mean the voters just don't give like there's nothing right.
Speaker 3: No, I mean that's it.
Speaker 2: You can get both sides of the because it's purely personality exactly.
Speaker 3: So he won a majority with nearly eighty percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Dang.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He became a leading voice of the quote anti waste campaign. So this was a vaguely from now it was a fight over the direction of conservative economics. So at his peak he had this like loose caucus of like ten to twelve independent MP's and they were trying to build a party positions to the right of the Conservatives. Okay, so the scheme that finally sank him.
Speaker 4: What was their stance, like we should only pay poor people in food they don't get money, not even that.
Speaker 3: It's like if you know, it's God judging you. I don't know. That's usually how that goes. So what sank him was Victory bonds Club.
Speaker 2: Victory bond, yes, like.
Speaker 3: The hair club. He launched it in nineteen nineteen. The government was selling victory bonds at five pounds each.
Speaker 2: So you going to rebuild the nation and off wards or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they really needed bonds.
Speaker 2: But instead of like we did it during the war, the liberty bonds.
Speaker 3: We had, our liberty bonds went after.
Speaker 2: Total this is specifically victory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we've won, we need to and we are just so it's like for four hundred and fifty dollars today is you know, five pounds then, and Bottomley and John Bull wrote that like that's absolutely unaffordable for working people. Come on, do you have a solution, Horatio, Oh my god. Of course, he's like, I'm going to buy the bonds in bulk, and then I'm gonna split them up, and I'm going to sell readers one pound stakes, and of course I'm also going to have prizes.
Speaker 2: It's like Bitcoin. With prizes you can.
Speaker 3: Get exactly exactly, So like subscribers, you're going to be entered into this annual prize draw worth up to twenty thousand pounds funded by the interest one point seven million dollars today. So he promised full refunds on demand, of course, and he swore he would take nothing for administration of.
Speaker 2: The fund trust.
Speaker 3: The response was overwhelming, of course, so overwhelming that actually administering it would have been a full time job, which is presumably why he didn't even bother. So instead the money he bought luxury cars, more thoroughbreds, He had mistresses at like flats around London. He went all in. So the paper trail, once investigators pulled it, was spectacular. Between September nineteen nineteen May nineteen twenty, the club cut bottomly eight checks for one thousand pounds or more, plus seven more between one thousand pounds and twenty five thousand pounds to his inner circle. Oh wow, his horse trainer got one thousand pounds beaks. Yeah, there's this fixer, James Kerr, he got ten grand. Thirty grand was wired to Paris under the authority of Laura Rodgers, who the police figured was his mistress and had had a child with him. Forty eight hundred pounds in cash went to an actress named Peggy Primrose.
Speaker 2: Another mistress.
Speaker 3: Eleven hundred pounds to an entourage member, Charles.
Speaker 2: Remember what do you do for he's an entrage Remember.
Speaker 3: He's like the Champagne carrier. One hundred pounds to a bookie, twenty pounds to an Italian restaurant. Quick note on Peggy Primrose, please so. Lady Peggy Primrose was the daughter of Archibald Philip Primrose, fifth Earl of Rosebery, not the fish, can you believe it? The liberal statesman who served as British Prime Minister eighteen ninety four to eighteen ninety five. And that's her dad. And then Hannah de ross Child, who had been the richest woman in Britain.
Speaker 2: Oh snack.
Speaker 3: Lady Peggy was one of the first female Justices of the Peace in London. She got appointed to magistrate in nineteen nineteen after they passed the Sexist Qualification Act of nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 2: She's think the first female judge is actually.
Speaker 3: Bottom Lee's Peggy Primrose was another Peggy.
Speaker 2: You didn't borrow the name.
Speaker 3: I went down a long rabbit hole and then like it made a U turn. Yeah. So she was a chorus girl and an aspiring musical comedy actress, and she was also a long time mistress of bottom Lenkait. I'm like this just does not mean now, and the who's.
Speaker 2: For him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then all of a sudden like hold on, hold on, and then's I'll see also Peggy. Okay, I gotcha. It would have been way funnier if it was Lady Peggy. But alas, all right, So back to the club payouts. Club money held in Bottomly's own name also bought sheares in John Bull itself, steaks and race courses at Plumpton and in Brussels an antique shop lease on Victoria Street, a factory that was supposed to be producing John Bull fountain pens that doesn't none of it. Bought a decommissioned German submarine, the Deutschland, and it like briefly toured around and then they scrapped it, and twenty five thousand pounds was sent to the official receiver to settle creditors of his previous bankruptcy. So he's using all these people's wore money to pay his creditors. A solicitor named Edmund Bell later put the club's total intake at one million, one hundred and seventy two nine and thirty nine pounds back then. Yeah, about a third of that went to just Bottomley's personal use. So that's that whole amount. Sixty eight million pounds a day, which is ninety one point five million dollars, is how much he pulled in on that on the club, just the Bonds club. His undoing came from within though. So this former associate, Ruben Bigland, he developed this like sudden and ferocious conscious really and yeah, and about the open robbery of the poor. He's like, I just this isn't sitting right.
Speaker 2: I think Bottomly like screwed him or urged you across a line.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you asked that question. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Say thank you.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth's actually that he had tried to get Bottomly to back a scheme that he had for converting water into gasoline via a chemical powder. Oh no, you know as you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so when Bottomley was like, I'm not backing that, he's like, you know what, I don't like that you robbed from the poor.
Speaker 2: That's my job.
Speaker 3: So Biglin starts publishing attack pamphlets. And we've talked before about attack pamphlets are the greatest best, and so the most elegant one that he did was called what Horatio Bottomly has done for his country and the wounded Soldiers.
Speaker 2: You have illustrations that had.
Speaker 3: A title page and then twenty four blank pages. That's what he's done for them.
Speaker 2: That's a cold disc right.
Speaker 3: Another pamphlet did have like detailed allegations, all of them true. Bottomley was like, I can't ignore this. This is not good. So what am I going to do? I'm gonna sue for criminal libel naturally, and he's like, he tried to extort me through three intermediaries before the nineteen any one by election. On day two of the trial, Biglin took the stand calmly narrates his entire history with Bottomly, and that's like the nineteen eighteen incident where Bottomly rigged a warstock combination draw so that Biglin could quote win one thousand pounds.
Speaker 4: Okay, so he's like, you know, brandishing the pen against himself too.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm lying. Let me tell you what I did, was I lying? Bottomly, was like, I'm not going to testify in my own case. And then they dismiss it outright, But you know, because he drew that, he brought the charges. But then the cops turn around and arrested Bottomly, They're like, we have all this testimony.
Speaker 2: Now what was his play there to bring the case and dismiss it?
Speaker 3: And he thought he always wins in court, and so he thought, you know what, like, yeah, I'm going to sue you for one hundred million dollars and you're gonna have to pay me out. And then they're like, no, this is ridiculous, this is a frivolous lawsuit. You're out of here. Then discovery, you know, you always have to worry about discovery. So when charged, he like booms out this plea most decidedly not guilty. And the trial then kicks off May nineteenth, nineteen twenty two. The central question was whether he had defrauded the patriotic ex soldiers who bought into his club.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 3: So Bottomly He's like, no, those dear boys, the living and the dead alike, they knew I never betrayed him. So the prosecution was like, actually you did. Demonstrates that of the millions invested, almost nothing went toward actually purchasing the government bonds. Ye never bottom Most of it goes to Bottomley.
Speaker 2: So he screwed the soldiers, the government, and the people.
Speaker 3: And the people. And then because he's once again representing himself, they led him. He didn't have to sit in the dock. He sat with the lawyers and he had like his accountants next to him. So he's like running the show. He's got like that flare that he always has. He secured the judge's blessing for a daily fifteen minute adjournment so that he could go take a medicinal pint of champagne.
Speaker 2: Of champagne. I didn't even know they sold champagne, and by the pin.
Speaker 3: I don't think they did.
Speaker 2: And he just has like a big flask, like a.
Speaker 3: Pint glass from the pub and they just fill it with champagne.
Speaker 2: Well, must it be like to be drunk on champagne? Every day of your life.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, I think that's why you're wearing wall dry champagne, because otherwise all that sugar will give you. Oh yes, yeah, So the jury needed twenty eight minutes to convict him. Twenty eight minutes. He was found guilty on more than twenty fraud counts, sentenced to seven years hard labor, expelled from Parliament. He sent the House of Commons a farewell letter to be read out loud, and in it he like swears before God after two months of solitary confinement and all this like soul searching, He's like, I never made a penny from the clubs, just outright line, I swear to God. You're like okay. He thanked the house staff for like twelve years of courtesy, and then he said he was just a victim of an appalling miscarriage of justice.
Speaker 2: But he didn't go out attacking anyone.
Speaker 3: No, so prison did not agree with him. He seems like the was sixty two when he got locked up, totally out of shape, like an out of shape bigin. The wardens couldn't find a uniform to fit him. Oh yeah, His wife, Eliza, daughter Florence, they visited.
Speaker 2: So he was carrying a lot of champagne.
Speaker 3: Wait, caring a lot of champagne. Wait. He could barely eat at first, he couldn't sleep, and because he's an alcoholic, he you know, was hit with the shock of like enforced abstinence.
Speaker 2: Oh so they're not letting him like you know, like Timber.
Speaker 3: No, no, no. He got released in nineteen twenty seven after five years, and then he immediately tried to recapture the magic with a new magazine, John Blunt, No, sir, not John Blaize, John Blunt, his few remaining friends, Jack he should have plus Peggy Primrose. They they're like, this is a really bad idea. Please don't do this. He's like, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do it. So he rehired the old John bullstaff. He rented out these expensive offices, launched June sixteenth, nineteen twenty eight, complete with the Revived the World, The Flesh and the Devil.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course you gotta have that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not a magazine without that.
Speaker 2: He's known for it.
Speaker 3: So there was an initial circulation of five hundred thousands, you know, on the premise of he was like because he he advertises it, I'm going to expose the hideous torture in British prisons. Yes, now, But then the Home Secretary is like, oh you want to know the like hideous torture that he faced. Check this out. Here's his letter requesting Palmery nineteen oh six, Champagne and it was denied. That's that's the horrors that he saw.
Speaker 2: He wouldst ask.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So then the advertisers like, oh, I don't really want any part of this. Readers are like, this isn't any fun. Final issue ran September nineteen twenty nine, So you know it was like maybe almost a little over a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the world is changing fast and twenty.
Speaker 3: Nine, yes, yes, so John Blunt collapses. This brings along bankruptcy number four. He transferred he had this mansion called the Dicker and he had transferred it to his son in law before a previous bankruptcy okay to you know, get it off his books, and he was living there, but then it was sold out from under him because his daughter had since divorced, and the ex son in law was like, I am not loyal to you and the creditors are coming, so I want nothing to do with this. I'm selling the joint. Oh so now he's homeless, he has nowhere to live. He moves into Peggy Primroses London flat and she tried to like work up this lecture tour for him to go on, but most towns had banned him. Yeah, his wife, Eliza, She died February nineteen thirty. He published a volume of prison poems called Songs of the Cell and it had a preface by Lord Alfred Douglas, who was an English poet, journalist and Oscar Wilde's lover.
Speaker 4: Oh and so in what do you like to read poems Songs.
Speaker 3: Of the Cell. In one poem it was about a young soldier who died in prison after being wounded in the war. And it actually showed some self reflection because he like pauses to wonder, kind of like half waking in the night, whether he had done right or wrong by sending that boy to France. And it's like pretty much the only recorded instance of the question occurring to him.
Speaker 2: Do you think that he also was meeting some soldiers who'd returned from the war and they get locked up and one of them actually did touch this.
Speaker 3: I think he really did I think he really heard their stories and it wasn't this boisterous like we're gonna bomb them all, get them out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's nobody to play to in prison.
Speaker 3: At that they had like one on one humanity of it. And then him realizing that kid's there, probably because like I got them all round. Yeah yeah, yeah. So he has no income. He's reduced to telling stories from his life on stage at Soho's wind Mill Theater, and he only did it for a few nights and then he collapsed with a heart attack. He recovered, and then he collapsed again a couple months later. He died in Middlesex hospital May twenty sixth, nineteen thirty three, aged seventy three.
Speaker 2: So his final bankruptcy was his heart.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yes. A month or so earlier he had applied to the British government for an old age pension of a few shillings a week and he was refused. Really, and the irony of that is that the old age pension law existed partly because of the works he had done as an MP. He really pushed for it and so you know, sorry, his obituary lamented the opportunities that he'd had. How sadly it was wasted, and how he might have been almost anything, but he had like this single fatal flaw of like being a greedy pig.
Speaker 2: There was that.
Speaker 3: His will asked that his ashes be scattered on the training gallops at Alfriston, near that near the Dicker in Sussex, and then the urn sat unclaimed for four years. In nineteen thirty seven, his nephew Bertie Dolman and Peggy Primrose, ever Loyle drove down finally granted him his last wish. So, Saron, what's your ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 4: Well, they say you die to deaths ye, right, your physical death, and then the last time your name is spoken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's not dead yet. No, sadly he resurrected him and I apologized for that, But I.
Speaker 2: Mean, like, you get guys like this and like that.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there are a million whatever, some big number of much better Brits of this era.
Speaker 2: We could tell a story of maybe not for the show, but just.
Speaker 4: Tell a story of yeah, and they'd be like, oh, an beautiful examination of the human condition.
Speaker 2: And instead we.
Speaker 4: Get guys like this because they are just so outside oh yeah, so committed to the grift a lover of the it's so deep in the game of like let me, let me hold your money, and that we forever, even us as human beings now later unaffected by this man, still want to hear his story. That's how compelling his story is, which is a crazy irony under all of it. It really is, you.
Speaker 3: Know, history repeating itself over and over. We've talked about that. Yeah, you know, so you have to learn it's definitely.
Speaker 2: A rhyming tune with our stuff today.
Speaker 3: It is it is. And with that, I I think I kind of need to talk back, Dave, do you mine?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I led.
Speaker 5: High Crime Squad. I love the gluzzy stats from the Sophie Lions episode, and I thought I could tell you about a senior prank done by some of my students in twenty twenty. Not a great year for students graduating that year. So for their senior prank, they resorted to sticking a bunch of hot dogs on skewers in the ground in front of the school, as if a field of hot dogs had popped up overnight, just just to feel the glizzies in front of the school. That was their senior prank, and I thought you would enjoy that visual image.
Speaker 3: That's amazing God when you think about Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Do whatever you want and buffet. I love a prank.
Speaker 3: What if it's just like crows landing on it with Kingford Coals getting busy. Yeah, you just take the steak out ready to go. I love that. Thank you for that. That's it for today. You can find us online at ridiculous Crime dot com. We're also at Ridiculous Crime on Blue Sky, Instagram, email Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. Most importantly, please leave a talk back on the iHeart app reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by Lord Dave Houston, nineteenth Earl of Gray. Our Ridiculous Assistant is owner of the original John Bull Letterpress, Terry Maldonado. Fong research is by Belgian fog conjurer Marissa Brown. The theme song is by Victory Bonds club members Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. Post wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred producer Dave Cousten's wardrobe by Mister Guy of Beverly Hills. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are Ben more Like The Daily Fail, am I Right Bowlin and Noel Good One Dude Brown, QUI Say It One More Time?
Speaker 5: Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts. My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.