Speaker 1: But you know, as a firefighter you're dealing with stressful situations all the time. When I got to eighteen, I started applying for the fire service. I applied myself and it took me six attempts and I got in on my sixth go, so I was twenty four. Firefighters do a range of different things, not just put out fires. We put out fires, we also do rescue hazardous materials, ladder rescues and so on. That's pretty pretty magical knowing that there's people around this earth right now that are alive from the efforts that we did as firefighters.
Speaker 2: That's Trent Maxwell, better known as Maxie. He's a firefighter and also a lifeguard by the way, and he's an expert in putting out fires as well as rescuing people and pets from all sorts of danger. Welcome to Growing Up, the Lingo Kids podcast that encourage his kids to dream big and discover who they were to be. Join us on an epic adventure to uncover the secrets behind awesome skills, cool hobbies, and the incredible journeys of people who followed their dreams.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't wait to tell Emily all about our school field trip today. Okay, this is my stock. Thanks school boss.
Speaker 4: Welcome to go forward Lands where sparks, dreams and fireworks.
Speaker 3: Emily, Emily, Hey there lose Hey Maxy, good boy, good boy. Thanks for taking care of Maxie while I was on my field trip.
Speaker 2: Emily, Oh, no worries. We had the best time, didn't we, Maxie. So how was the field trip, Luise.
Speaker 3: We went to a fire station.
Speaker 2: Oh, very cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got on a fire truck and honked the horn. It was so loud I couldn't even hear my own voice when I did it. Honk Okay.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you had some fun.
Speaker 3: It was the best thing ever. I also got to wear a firefighter's jacket and a helmet. It was huge. It dropped all the way down to my eyes.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that sounds like fun, so much fun.
Speaker 3: And something else happened.
Speaker 2: Oh what was it?
Speaker 3: They had an actual, like a real along going woo whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, sounds like an emergency.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, but my heart was beating so fast, and all the firefighters put on their suits and helmets. They were super ready for action.
Speaker 2: They must have left because of a fire somewhere in the city.
Speaker 3: Yes, they were so fast, but I had a few questions I wanted to ask them. I didn't gets a chance to do it.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Louise, you're actually in luck. Just before you got here, I was talking to someone very special on the phone, really who someone named Maxy.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, Emily, I want to talk to Maxi too. Come on, say something, boy. If you can talk to Emily, you can talk to me. Please.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't actually mean this Maxie. I meant somebody else. A real life firefighter. His name is Trent Maxwell, but everyone calls him, well, Maxy. That's so cool, and Maxy our guest. Maxie is amazing.
Speaker 3: There's so much I want to learn about being a firefighter. Can I say hi to him before the show?
Speaker 2: Well, he'll actually be joining us all the way from Australia.
Speaker 3: Australia that's on the other side of the world, Emily, Yes it is.
Speaker 2: Maxie has to stay at the fire station where he works, but he'll be joining us with this, a very.
Speaker 3: Large mirror like the one my mom has in her bedroom.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, that's not just any mirror, Louise, it's one of the go forward labs. Amazing creations. Take a closer look at it.
Speaker 3: Let's see. Oh wow, I can see Maxi right through it. Not you, Maxy, the trend Maxwell, Maxi exactly, Hello Maxi, can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Listen off, everybody, I'm Maxie, a professional far fight up.
Speaker 3: What's he doing, Emily?
Speaker 2: Oh, it looks like he's in a training session or something.
Speaker 1: I'll be giving you useful tips on how to become a Firefighter's not at the Growing Up Game Show. We'll also have a super fun interview.
Speaker 2: Oh he's asking folks to tune into our show.
Speaker 1: Yay see there, don't miss it. Trent Maxwell out.
Speaker 3: Where'd he go?
Speaker 2: He'll be right with us. We just have to bring this mirror to the studio. Can you help me carry it?
Speaker 3: Louise Sure? One?
Speaker 2: Two, three, Oh, Welcome to our growing up talking game show.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: We're joined from Australia by the one and only Trent Maxwell, also known as Maxie.
Speaker 3: Not you, Maxie, but you can't stick around.
Speaker 2: Maxi is a professional firefighter. He was one of the superstars on a famous TV show called Bondai Rescue and he has educated over thirty thousand children all over Australia on how to become superheroes in real life emergencies. Hi, Maxy, Louise and I are excited to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Yes we are. Oh I see you're at a fire station. Wait does that mean that if there's a fire you might have to leave?
Speaker 1: If there's a full emergency, one of the guys will come in and grab me.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Well, hopefully everything turns out. Okay, let's get started. Thank you for talking to us so early in the morning. For you, does your day usually start really early?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: As a firefighter, we do twenty four hour shifts, and that means all day and all night we're at the fire station. So we start early in the morning and we go all the way through the day, into the night into the next morning.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, so firefighters are working all day long. Yep.
Speaker 2: Think about it. An emergency can happen at any time. Imagine if a fire starts at three am, somebody has to be able to put it out in time.
Speaker 3: Right, that makes sense. Oh, Maxy, I have a question for you. I went with the school to see a fire truck today and it has all the clockspells lights attached to it. It was so cool and now all my friends want to be firefighters. How old were you when you started to be a fireman.
Speaker 1: When I was two, I remember dreaming of becoming a firefighter, and I was very lucky enough that I had an uncle and a cousin that were involved in the fire service, and they used to give me some of their old clothing. So when I was two, three, four, or five, I used to have some of their old firefighter clothes and I used to pretend. I used to visualize and play around being a firefighter.
Speaker 3: I played pretend too. Sometimes I'll pretend to be an astronaut, or a chef, or a ninja, but my favorite one is a firefighter. I'd run around with my dog MAXI saving ants from imaginary fires.
Speaker 1: When I was quite young, I remember having the uniform next to the bed. I remember having a garden hose under my bed as well, and if I had a bad dream, I was ready to respond and help if someone in the community needed help.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're a real hero. You can even see people in your dreams?
Speaker 2: Yes, he can, And now, of course you save people in real life all the time. How does it feel when you save someone?
Speaker 1: MAXI most magical experience is probably saving someone's life where they've been unconscious, not breathing, and we use the defibrillator and we do CPR, and that person was not good.
Speaker 3: Oh no, but hold on, what's a a defibrillator?
Speaker 2: You know? And TV shows about doctors when someone brings in a machine with these two paddles to start a person's hard after it stops beating.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, where one of them, you know, is clear?
Speaker 2: Exactly. Well, that machine is called a defibrillator, and it can save people's lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that person taking a breath and been alive. It's definitely more magical moments, definitely, And we've been very fortunate that people have made a full recovery and they're living their best life. Yeah, that's pretty pretty magical. Knowing that there's people around this earth right now that are alive from the efforts that we did as firefighters.
Speaker 2: That must be such a beautiful feeling.
Speaker 3: Oh but Maxie, on a field trip today, a firefighter told us, you guys don't just rescue people, you sometimes rescue animals too.
Speaker 1: Yep, So I've got a quick story to share about a cat rescue. I've rescued a few, but sometimes cats get a bit adventurous and there's been times where we've had to rescue kittens between the two walls. So people that live in the house don't know that there's kittens in the wall, but they just hear this, well well, and they call the firefighters, and then we come and we try and locate where they are within the wall. So I've done a couple of rescues like that where they do get stuck and they're only a couple of days old.
Speaker 2: These kittens, Oh, poor little things. Well, I'm glad the people who live there heard the kittens, and glad you were able to rescue them too, of course.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's official wearing an awesome uniform, driving an awesome truck, rescuing people and cats. Firefighting is officially the most exciting job ever. It is.
Speaker 2: And hey, speaking of exciting jobs, should we move on to our game show?
Speaker 3: Oh, you're right, I almost forgot Maxy. We have a few questions for you to learn more about being a firefighter. Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 3: All right? The game today is two truths and a lie. I'm going to say three things about firefighters and you have to guess which one is not true? Ready, MAXI, yep? Okay? Round one. First, firefighters are the coolest people in the world. Second, firefighters rescue both people and animals. And third, it only takes a few days to become a firefighter.
Speaker 1: I think it is the third one. It takes a few days to become a firefighter.
Speaker 2: That's not true, correct, Exactly, it takes years to become a firefighter. You have to learn so much about how to put out fire safely and how to rescue people without harming them. Oh and you have to train a lot too to be strong and fast.
Speaker 1: You have to be eighteen years old to have become a firefighter here in Australia. So from the age of eighteen, I applied myself and it took me six attempts and I've got in on my sixth go, so I was twenty four.
Speaker 3: Wow, you mean it all right? Okay? Round two. First, firefighters have awesome tools to see through smoke. Second, firefighters are also doctors. And third firefighters need to know first Aid.
Speaker 1: But firefighters do know first day, which is correct. And firefighters have awesome tools to be able to locate people and things in smoke and in hot environments. So everyone playing at home, the law is firefighters are doctors.
Speaker 3: Correct, you're doing great, MAXI you might even say you're on fire.
Speaker 2: Oh I see what you did there, Louise. But yeah, even though firefighters have to be able to rescue people and use some of the same tools and knowledge as doctors, firefighters don't have to be doctors to do their job perfect.
Speaker 3: Now on to our last question round three. First, firefighters only put out fires. Second, firefighters can also write books. In third, firefighters can handle toxic stuff.
Speaker 1: I think it is number one. Like we said at the start, firefighters do arrange of different things, not just put out fires. We put out fires, we also do rescue hazardous materials, ladder rescues, and so on. So I think that I'm going to go with option one here. Firefighters only put out fire, but firefighters do write books. On a testament to.
Speaker 2: That, Yes, we love your children's books. I think they're a great way to teach kids to be safe. So we'll leave in the description of this episode the info about your book, and with that, I think our time is up.
Speaker 3: Oh no, really, but I want to talk more about fires.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, Louise, Maxi's got to get back to saving lives. But don't worry. I have something very special for us to do later. Okay, Maxi, it was so great talking to you. We know you have to get back to work and be ready in case there's an emergency, so we'll leave you to.
Speaker 1: It, no worries.
Speaker 2: So, Louise, what did you think?
Speaker 3: I think Maxi's so cool and he has the most exciting job ever. I mean, firefighters are incredible. They can heal people with first aid, use tools to see through smoke, and I'm superhero to find kittens and walls. They're real life superheroes, they are. And did you.
Speaker 2: Know that firefighting has been around as long as well, as long as we've had fires, which is why I wanted to take you back in time so you can see how firefighters used to work years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds like fun. How long ago are we going, like as far back as cave men?
Speaker 2: Well not that far back, but let's head over to the go forward cube so you can see for yourself.
Speaker 3: Are you ready, Louise, I'm ready?
Speaker 4: Okay, join Luis and Emily on their time travel adventure in the epic part two of the super exciting fire bursting episode of growing up.
Speaker 3: When they had there been so much in the sides with fell before blowing
Speaker 1: Ads can save his side and appear to be by Ba