Speaker 1: I think, Ohapi and Netto, those are the guys that I think most of the baseball world that ignores the Angels or makes jokes about the Angels should pay attention to these guys. Those are definitely the core guys.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're back with Jeff Fletcher. He covers the Angels for the So Calm News group. He's joining us. Jeff, Good to see you again, and also at this time, it is great to have you on during a time period where the Angels have won seven games in a row, really resurrecting themselves from the burial ground, right, because this is a team that obviously hasn't been good for years, and so when you look at the start that they were off to you and see them already what they were in like the ten below five hundred ranger, Like season's done, let's talk about some trade pips, talk about next year, and then here they come. So how surprising is this and what's happening?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, first of all, I think if you would have just if I'd have been in like a coma for the first fifty games of the season and then just woken up today and looked at the stats, it would not be a surprise. I mean, there are a game under five hundred. If you look at all the individual players, like, nobody is really crazy out of what you would expect. What's been weird is the way they've gotten there. Because they started off eight and four, everybody's like, oh man, maybe they're really good. And then for three and a half weeks they were horrendous. Everything went wrong, everybody was terrible, and then basically they had about two weeks where they were a little better, and then this last week where just everything went right.
Speaker 3: They all are on a tear.
Speaker 1: Everybody's hitting, which has brought all their numbers back to where they should be. So, you know, right now they're twenty four and twenty five, which is certainly not far out of the range of what you would have thought they would have been. You know, last year they were bad, but they looked like they should be better. So I think that I figured they were going to be probably a seventy eight win team, seventy seven, seventy nine somewhere somewhere around there. So twenty four and twenty five, that's right in line with where they ought to be.
Speaker 3: So I want to get into some guys here. All.
Speaker 4: First off, let's talk a little bit about Mikerout. How's he doing, where are you seeing him at right now, and expectations for him coming up.
Speaker 1: Well, he's been running. He ran at eighty percent the other day, so I think he's been kind of doing that every other day. Probably today, I would expect he might try to get up to one hundred percent. If that goes well, then he's going to run the bases, and I think once he can run the bases, then he's ready to go. So nobody really wants to give an official time frame because with Trout, you know, there's times we think he's all ready to come back and then something happens. But if nothing else happens, I would expect to see him within four to seven days from now.
Speaker 3: Talk about another Guy Ward.
Speaker 4: Eight consecutive game with an extra base hit, talk about his presence, and you know, he's the first Angel to accomplished that beat since ten Salmon did back in two thousand.
Speaker 3: I find that absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's pretty good. Eight eight games in row in extra base It is not easy to do. And he's a guy that's always been super streaky, and at the end of the year he ends up with a ops like seven forty to seven seventy, So that's right where he is right now, but it was really bad for a little while, so he's just sort of catching up to where he's supposed to be, and I would expect him to end up around this same level, but I'm sure that's going to be with some big hot and cold streaks between now and the end of the season.
Speaker 5: This is the time of year where we start talking about All Star through this hot streak through the entire season? Is Logan'll hopy the All Star? Or am I missing somebody else? Well?
Speaker 1: Zach Netto is probably the best player right now all around. He missed a couple of weeks the beginning of the season, and there's obviously Bobby wit Junior is a pretty good short stuff too, so he's going to be the starter. But you know, I think either of those guys could make a case. It just sort of depends on how everybody else that those positions is doing. But those are certainly the top two guys right now. And you know, if Trout comes back, you know, who knows what he would do in a month before the All Stars are picked, So it'll be interesting to see is.
Speaker 5: This team more fun to watch than other years. Think outside of just the seven seven game winning streak, think of like an entire like why an Angels fan would come to see a five hundred team. If the hot streaks, you know, low streaks, they end up as a five hundred team, are they more fun to watch? Are the Angels as an organization putting a better product out on the field.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think it depends how much you buy the young guys. So like Netto o'hapi, Nolan Shanawell has been better lately, Jack Ohanowitz and Jose Soriano and the starting rotation.
Speaker 3: Have been a little up and down.
Speaker 1: If those kind of guys, those five guys all are doing well, then you can really have some hope for the team in the long run, regardless of what the record is. You know, at the moment, if they're just good because you know, Joan Mancatta is on fire, Hora Solaier gets hot, or even Taylor Ward gets hot, then it's less easy to be excited about it because those guys really aren't the long term. So I think that's what it comes down to. Like Neto Ohapi Shana, Will Kohanawitz, Soriano. That's really the young core. So if those guys are good, then there's hope.
Speaker 5: This will probably be perceived as very negative, but you look to the Angels with trade chips at the trade deadline. Obviously, this streak has got everybody thinking, Bye, I'm still thinking more trade? Is there any Is there any like give in from Artie Moreno or whoever supersedes the GM at the time, from not trading players in the recent history, they just haven't done a lot of trades that you would think, Okay, maybe you could get something for them at the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they definitely have Kenny Jansen. You could definitely trade him if he's still doing well. The deadline closers tend to get you a pretty good return at the deadline. Joam Mankata has been great right now, but he's only been healthy for a few weeks, so we'll see what he's doing two months from now. Taylor Ward is a guy that he's got a year of control after this year too, so if he continues to hit really well, they definitely could get something for him. Last year they consider trading him, but he really went in a terrible slump right before the deadline, so they didn't really get the offers that they that they thought were worth making the deal. And you know, Tyler Anderson too is you know, not an ace by any means, but a team that just needs to fill some innings and needs to get to October could be interested in a picture like that, So they definitely have some pieces, you know. I think it depends how they look and what the trajectory looks like. As far as a guy like Ward, who you could have for next year too, they'd have to make that judgment like can we be good in twenty twenty six and if so, do we want to keep Taylor Ward? These other guys are a free agent, and you know, they don't have to make that decision. So I think that's really the way they're looking at it.
Speaker 3: Crats.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let everyone in on a little secret. I am not a fan of carrying around physical cash.
Speaker 3: I go cash.
Speaker 2: App, where you can send, receive, or transfer money with family and friends. It's super easy. They got your back to Like, if you're trying to send some money and you maybe put in the wrong account name, they'll be like, hey, this is a sketchy account. Are you sure? You want to send this. Cash App has your back. They do it safe, securely, easily and fee free, and all.
Speaker 5: You got to do is download the app and Scott can actually pay for his half of dinner.
Speaker 2: Exactly for a limited time only, new cash App users can use our exclusive code to earn some additional cash for real. There's no catch. Download cash App, sign up, It's very easy, and use our exclusive referral code territory in your profile. Send five bucks to a friend with in fourteen days and you'll get ten dollars dropped right into your account.
Speaker 1: Terms apply.
Speaker 2: That's money. That's cash App.
Speaker 5: Has the organization or Ron Washington laxed their approach to not dhing Mike Trout because he's going to go in there as a reporter. He goes in there and swings five hundred times when he DHS. But now he had another injury. They have they gone back, relaxed a little bit on and maybe we might DH him for the longevity of him this season.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that they're open to having him DH. I think that they don't necessarily feel like it's going to be a huge difference in terms of what happens. If obviously if he needs a DH to play, that's what's gonna happen, you know, and Horeus Hilaire would go out there every day in right field if that's the option that they have. But you know, I think that they probably are going to just see how it goes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Certainly, if he needs DH more, that's what's gonna happen. If he needs more days off, that's what's.
Speaker 3: Going to happen.
Speaker 1: But before he got hurt, he played every single game, which I don't think anybody expected. So I think if he went into the year and said he's gonna you know that you can get one hundred and twenty games out of him, they would take that in a heartbeat. And right now, you know that's still possible, you know, if he comes back soon. So I don't know that's gonna happen, but I'm just saying that they've already built in, you know, forty some games that he's gonna miss, So I think that they're open to whatever gets him on the field the most, basically in the lineup the most.
Speaker 2: Jeff, what did you think when they mentioned how they felt like Trout moving away from centerfield into the corner was really more of the key and that they could actually hurt themselves by putting him at DH because he would take so many swings. I mean, Todd Fathers buddies with Trout, and I feel like we've kicked this around. Even AJ like this, dude's a pro. He knows that he's had trouble staying on the field. I'm sure he wants to still be out in the field playing corner outfield over DH. But at the same time, I don't think he's going to take five hundred swings. If he's dching for the day, he'll get his routine down, but he'll know that he's most valuable if he's given them four or five at bats per game. So do you think that was the right call when we look back at the decision to spend pretty big on SO Layer and kind of block them from having Trout at DH or putting them in a less favorable outfield defense position, and that's been a problem for them at times anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, first of all, at the time they had the opportunity at SO Layer, it was a pretty reasonable amount of money, and I don't think you at that point want to really eliminate players because of Mike Trout, because, as we've seen a lot of times, you don't have Mike Trout, so you don't want to go and not get players figuring you're going to have Mike Trout fill this role and then all of a sudden he's hurting you don't have them. So I think that this problem that came up having two dhs is a better problem than having no DHS, which might have been the case if they had not gotten Solare. So for him taking too many swings, you know, I also thought maybe that's a little not given Mike enough credit for his own taking care of himself. I think they felt he did that in the past, but I think he's done a lot of things in the past that he's learned from, so I don't know that he would necessarily do that again. I think it's they just sort of wanted to have some options, and I think that that's what what given Clair getting Celaire did for them.
Speaker 5: How have they accommodated the media in West Sacramento. I should have asked, were you were you at Sacramento? Were you at the Sacramento A Stadium? Okay, yeah, sutter Field did West Sacramento accommodate for you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was nice.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was a teeny little press box, but it was a great view. It was a little bit of a nuisance to have to walk out to center field to the clubhouse before and after the game, but you know, there's other ballparks. We were just at Dodger Stadium and it's a pain in the butt to get to the visitor's clubhouse at Dodger Stadium too, so you know, they're worse things the field. The players said that the clubhouse and the food and the weight room and all that stuff was better than in Oakland, So I think it's going to be okay. I think the most interesting thing is going to be when it gets really hot in the summer and it gets really windy, Like is every game going to be twelve to ten?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think that's going to be an interesting scene. But as far as just the logistics and the amenities, I think they'll be able to make it there for three years.
Speaker 2: Hey, draft, while we're on the clubhouse. We talked about this a couple of months ago and having checked in on it, so I feel like it's fair to do so now from the media perspective, how has the lack of cell phone usage in the clubhouse looked? Do you see it and if that's still being implemented. I'm just curious from an inside baseball perspective, inside the clubhouse, what are they doing? Like, are they chatting more, are they watching TV? Playing card games? I mean, I know all that stuff goes on anyway, but curious if you actually see the impact of that. I'm not trying to put wind and losses on it. You know, some fans are like, it doesn't matter, it does matter, I don't care. I'm just curious, like, from a lifestyle perspective, what does that look like to take cell phones away from gen z ers.
Speaker 1: Well, that kind of disappeared when the season started. They said that they were going to try to do it throughout the season, but I think it just sort of evaporated. I think in spring training there are a lot more places that they could go outside of the clubhouse when they wanted to use their phones. In a regular season, there's less space and so it's just not as logistically workable to do that, and so I think guys are now on their phones in the clubhouse. But they did kind of make a point of saying, like, don't get out of control with it. And if we're seeing that you're not getting what you have to do done because you're scrolling on Instagram, then we're going to have to do something else. And I think it was partly the reason they had. It was partly to get them to like communicate with each other, but the other part was just to get them to do something. I mean, I talked to Tyler Anderson one time about it, and he said, you know, there's times where I sit there and I have five minutes to kill before I need to go to do a workout or something like that, and I'm just gonna sit down and scroll on my phone for five minutes and the next thing, you know, it was twenty minutes. And you know, there went fifteen minutes that he could have been working on something else. So I think that was part of it. But basically now it's the same as it ever was at this point the season.
Speaker 2: That is the job of the phone. Those apps, they know what they're doing. They'll keep you there. Have been there many times I went in for one thing and I'm like, wait, what was I here for? Wait, I'm watching you know, I'm watching puppies? What am I doing here?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Who are we not talking about or what are we not talking about with this team that we should be talking about?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, our show covers all thirty. We're giving love today to the Angels for a great wind streak going on. What's a name or just a component of what's going on with this team that you see on an everyday basis and an every game basis that we're not seeing or not talking enough about.
Speaker 1: You know, I think we've hit everybody, you know. I think Hopy and Netto those are the guys that I think most of the baseball world that ignores the Angels or makes jokes about the Angels should pay attention to these guys. Those are definitely the core guys. Those are the two you know, star players, and they're potentially like multi year All Stars going forward. And it's pretty good at catcher and short stuff. Those are positions you'd like to have lockdown. So I think kind of the next question for the Angels is are they going to sign these guys to big multi year extensions and lock them up because they're definitely, you know, at the ages twenty four and twenty five, right now looking like their long term studs. Do you think they will That's a great question. They haven't really had other than Trout, they haven't really had another guy that's it's even been an issue. So I don't know how they would approach it, but I would if I were them. But it's not my money, That's true.
Speaker 2: Last one for me, if things go awry and this team ends up more in the ninety plus loss range again, do you think this is a year that could cause changes, whether it's GM, manager, etc. Like For me, it's measuring the expectations of the boss. Right, every team is run by a dictator. That's just how it is, right, there's one person who makes the decision. They're called a controller, Zary ma Reno for many years. Do you think his expectations are high enough that he would try and do something drastic this year? Because obviously there hasn't been winning for a while.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The team's playing well, so you're seeing a little taste of what this could look like. But if it does go awry, what could happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean definitely Ron Washington and Perrymansion. It could be gone at the end of the year. If they have another bad year and you're looking at, you know, ninety ninety five losses because certainly last year they were bad and Perry got a contract extension I think was an acknowledgement from Artie that he liked the direction. But that direction has got to keep going. They've got they've got to improve, and if they don't improve, then then I would be surprised if both of those guys are back. But as we sit here today, they certainly look like they're improved. You know, we'll see what the next one hundred and twelve games springs, but it's definitely looks better right now.
Speaker 2: Jeff, thanks for swinging by. Appreciate the time at Jeff Fletcher ocr is the follow on Twitter and check out his work with the Orange County Register. Thanks Jeff, appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: M all right, thanks guys,