Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: It's America's Only Sorts produces This is the Daily Too with your hosts Brodeya ny Lolcome to the Daily Show.
Speaker 3: I'm Roy Shang so much to talk about. Tonight, White Dudes on Man splitting their support for Kamala Harris, JD. Vans gets his own pussy tape, and Lewis Black yells at the Sun. But fus, let's get into our continuing coverage of Indecision twenty twenty four. We are now less than one hundred days on my election and Democrats are super fired up about having a candidate who isn't legally dead. Nearly every night now, huge groups are gathering on zoom to raise money. It started with black women for Harris, and then black men for Harris, and then white women, and last night, white dudes took a break from trying to have sex avasion women to do their Zoom call Monday Nights, White Dudes for Harris livestream raised more than four million dollars, according to organizers.
Speaker 4: More than one hundred and fifty thousand people were on the call. The call included possible Harris, running mates, actors, labor leaders. Among the stores were Mark Hamill, Josh Grohman, Joseph Gordon Levitt.
Speaker 1: Actor Jeff Bridge is throwing in his star power like qualifying, man, I'm white, I'm a dude, and I'm for Harold. I'm so excited a woman president. Man, how exciting?
Speaker 3: Ah. I mean, it is cool that they got Jeff Bridges, But if anyone was waiting to see who the big Lebrowski endorses, I don't think that's the group that's going to remember to votes. But one hundred and fifty thousand white dudes joined the Zoom because nothing says I would do anything for this candidate, like clicking on the Zoom link from your toilet. The white dudes did raise a lot of money, although the Zoom went off the rails when someone asked if anyone had a favorite Bob Dylan album. And I personally am glad they found a way to make segregation progressive. But I'm just saying historically, it's not great when white people develop racial awareness. Okay, it starts out like hey, let's just hang out, and then soon it's like, hey, this is fun. We should get some uniforms but even if you want in on the manbun zoom, it's obvious there's a lot of enthusiasm on the Democrat side. You can tell by who wants to debate more. I'm ready to debate Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: He agreed to that previously. Now Pearcey's backpadling.
Speaker 3: I want to do a debate.
Speaker 5: But I also can say this, everybody knows who I am, and now people.
Speaker 1: Know who she is, Well, why not debater?
Speaker 5: Well wait, but because they already know everything the answers, Yes, I'll probably end up debating, but I can also make a case for not doing it.
Speaker 3: It sounds like Trump just lost a debate with himself, but I I don't blame him for having second thoughts. Okay, I mean the last time Trump did a debate, he beat Biden so bad they gave him a tough opponent. That's crazy. It's like Trump won so hot he might lose the presidency and no shit, he doesn't want debate again. I mean, if he debates again, either he loses the Kamala or he wins and they swap out for Abraham Lincoln. It's like how many bosses are there in this game? The Democrats are not waiting for a debate to go onto offense. They've been solely field testing a new line of attack. And see if you can spot the way they address people.
Speaker 6: It is bizarre.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 3: It is weird.
Speaker 1: That stuff is weird. They come across weird.
Speaker 2: They seem obsessed with this a super weird idea from Jdvans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not. I mean, it's quite weird. They're just weird, more weird.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 3: Weird. What about Donald Trump is weird? Yeah, I just don't see it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Calling someone weird is a bit of a downgrade from he tried to overthrow democracy. On the other hand, you know that message didn't really stick. I mean, Democrats spent four years being like, hey, everybody remember January sixth, and most Americans were like, we don't remember and all care. So now Democrats are like, hey, wasn't trying to overthrow the government kind of weird? Like who even does that? And now people are like, yeah, I guess that is kind of weird. The best part about this line of attack is that there is no defense to it. I mean, you can't say, guys, guys, I'm not weird, because that sounds weird. And although Democrats have to be clear about what kind of weird they're referring to, because people could think that they mean like cool weird, like dam of Bowie or Jeff Goldblum, they gotta be like, no, no, we mean weird weird, like the penguin from Batman. What was up with that guy? It's like, hey, I'm a bad guy, but I'm also into Antarctic wildlife conservation. And one of the weird things that they've been hitting them on is this comment Dvance made in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 7: We're effectively run in this country via the Democrats, via our corporate oligarchs, by a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they've made, and so they want to make the rest of the country miserable too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, if you have friends who've chosen not to have kids, you know how totally miserable they are. I got too much disposable ankor my life is so odd, I can fly business class, I still have a sex life, Please kill me. So after getting back last Jadvans tried to do damage control, but it turns out he didn't misspeak. He's been sit talking childless people for years.
Speaker 8: The controversial comments he made questioning the judgment of people without children, they were not a one off, he told a crowd, quote, babies are good because we're not sociopaths. He appealed to donors by mentioning the quote, radical childless leaders in this country cat ladies must be stopped. You go on Twitter and almost always the people who are most deranged and most psychotic are people who don't have kids at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course they're deranged and psychotic. They're on Twitter. That's where they live. It doesn't matter how many kids you have. The most deranged person on Twitter has forty five kids. For more, For more analysis on childless cat ladies, let's go live to Grace cool and Smith's Grace. Grace, Grace, what do you think about JD Van saying that childless cat ladies are bad for America?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 9: Man, when you're right, you're right back to you, Ronnie.
Speaker 3: Wait, really, what's wrong with childles's cat ladies? Uh?
Speaker 9: For starters, their houses are covered in cat hair. Look at what they did to j D when he went over to one of their houses once and his face still has cat hair all over it.
Speaker 3: I think that's his beard.
Speaker 1: Oh gross.
Speaker 9: The point is childless cat ladies are freaks.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry, but on you childless?
Speaker 9: Yes, but I don't have a bunch of cats all over my apartment. I'm a normal adult.
Speaker 3: Woman, Grace. There's a whole bunch of lizes crawling all behind you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, lizards, not cats. I'm not a freak.
Speaker 3: Okay, how is that better?
Speaker 9: It's obviously better. I don't spend all day petting my lizards or making an Instagram profile for them. I just give them petticures and crochet them turtlenecks like a normal pet owner.
Speaker 3: How many Lizas do you have?
Speaker 1: I know, forty to eighty.
Speaker 3: Okay, Grace, that's a huge range. What do you mean you don't know?
Speaker 9: They come and go as they want, Ronnie, They're not animals, Jasper, Stop eating your brother's skin and goofball.
Speaker 3: Okay, Grace is not about the animals. Jdvansh was saying that if you don't have human children, you don't care about the future of America.
Speaker 9: What no, I deeply care about America because no other country will let me in with eighty to one hundred.
Speaker 1: Lizards beating time.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 9: Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to jump on Zoom lizard ladies for Kamala.
Speaker 10: We're gonna talk about how weird the Republicans are.
Speaker 3: Okay, graceful, listen everybody. When we come back, Louis Black will be yes.
Speaker 6: I don't go away.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Daily Show. When a news story falls through the cracks, Lewis Black catches it for a segment we call back in Black.
Speaker 2: We are officially in the dog days of summer, which means I can finally bust out my slipping.
Speaker 3: It used to.
Speaker 2: Belong to the kid next door, but it turns out a lot of kids stuff you can just walk up and take. But this summer it's so hot you can't even make it down the slide without you're not sticking to the vinyl.
Speaker 4: It's been one of the hottest summers on record across the US, relentless heat wave smashing records in the Northeast.
Speaker 10: Monday was the hottest day ever recorded on Earth.
Speaker 8: The previous record, which was that on Sunday, only lasted twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: This hot, really, really hot.
Speaker 2: The hottest day ever recorded on Earth. Suck on that dinosaurs. We can destroy the planet ourselves. We don't need an asteroid like you pussies. Yes, this summer, the heat is kicking our ass more than usual.
Speaker 1: Last week it was so hot in New York that.
Speaker 2: And I can't believe I'm gonna say this. I asked the hawk to a girl to hit me in the forehead. And this isn't just your class and heat wave that only kills some old people that no one cares about. The heat is so extreme it's causing shit that's never happened before.
Speaker 11: Blazing temperatures outdoors can wreak havoc inside airplanes. These soda cans all exploded on Southwest flights due to extreme heat exposure. The problem is widespread. Southwest Airlines has reported about twenty employees have been injured by exploding soda cans this summer alone.
Speaker 1: What the hell.
Speaker 2: It's so hot that our soda cans are joining out, Kaida. I don't want to die in a plane crash because of cherry coke. I want to die because the Boeing guys forgot to tighten the screws. This is a disaster. What happens if planes have to get rid of soda? What am I supposed to drink on a flight? Now whiskey? That another whiskey? What am I supposed to mix the whiskey with another whiskey?
Speaker 1: Now I haven't had enough? You had enough?
Speaker 2: This is clearly a reckoning, but I'm sure Ewans will take this as a sign the climate change is a serious threat and not a chance for an idiotic photo op.
Speaker 10: At Death Valley National Park, they actually embraced the heat, encouraging tourists to take pictures in front of the park's thermometer right now hovering around one hundred and thirty degrees.
Speaker 1: You can definitely feel the heat on your skin.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it's definitely shocking.
Speaker 2: I don't know how anything can survive out here. Of course, nothing can survive in Death Valley. That's why they call it Death Valley. Guess what they sell it? Burger king, You idiot? Now you Park rangers would be warning people about the deadly heat, but instead they're getting in on the fun.
Speaker 8: Park rangers have a tasty way to show you just how hot.
Speaker 1: It is inside your car.
Speaker 3: So rangers at Sakuro National Park by.
Speaker 12: Tucson made banana bread inside their car.
Speaker 3: Some other things you can make inside your car, cookies, eggs, and even stuffed bell peppers.
Speaker 1: Who stuffs a bell pepper?
Speaker 2: Yes, global warming means you can cook right in your car, which is great news for Minehu Restaurant, Lewis Blacks, Hyundai, Sonata, Chimmy Chogas. The secret ingredient is wipe or fluid. So yes, as we've known for a while, every year, the Earth is getting hotter and hotter, like me and Paul Rudd, and that's why we need every single government body working to fix the product problem. Instead of jerking us around with elementary school science projects.
Speaker 13: The National Weather Service put on a colorful display the record setting heat wave hitting Las Vegas. Check out this time lapse of the extreme temps turning crayons into colored cream.
Speaker 3: This interesting experiment.
Speaker 13: Really puts in perspective just how hot it is out there.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you could just sort of freeze that and then, you know, you make a little bit of art out of it, I think so too.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh that's cool, but I mean really not cool. We're all gonna die.
Speaker 2: Thanks National Weather Surface. Now we all know what it would look like if a pack of Skittles got its period, so quick safety tip. Okay, if you're gonna leave your kid in a hot car, remember to grab the crayons first.
Speaker 1: It's hard to know whether to.
Speaker 2: Be more worried about the record heat or the record stupidity. But at least when the earth finally explodes, we'll be eating delicious dashboard banana bread along the way. Ronnie, thank you, look look back everybody, and when we come back, Director John Cho will be joining your other shows that don't go away.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to the Daily Show. My guest sight is director of Wicked and Crazy the Rich Asians. I hope he remembers me. He is the author of You Find a memoir Seeing and Being Seen. Please welcome mister John m Cho.
Speaker 1: Cheers, come bag as they say, so good to see you here.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here. This is your new book. I immediately look for way I was mentioned and do you mind just reading this out? So I have this on video perfect, Sorry looking at the camera.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 12: Ronnie Chang had caught my eye when he did a piece on the Daily Show that mocked a racist Fox News segment about Chinatown. I love that he was smart and hilarious and clearly wasn't trying to please anybody.
Speaker 3: Thank you, no, but this is a crazy full social moment. It is because I guess you. I never heard the story from you, but you apparently saw me on the Daily Show and that's how you cast me on it. And now here we are, we're just talking on the Daily Show and you're the guests and I'm hosting. It's nice. It's everything.
Speaker 12: When when we were casting crazy rich Asians, yeah right, come on, when we were casting I just wanted to cast Asians that I wanted to be like or had the confidence to be like, and you had, you had all of it. Oh, then we were casting an asshole, so it's perfect, I take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The story was for me was I saw you making the movie, and then at that time I just moved to America. Hollywood was such a foul away thing. I didn't not even my wildest dreams would i'd be in a movie.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: I was just some assholes comic like running from Baba, telling big jokes and and so I didn't even think about it. Just thought, oh, it's cool that John she was doing a story set in Singapore. I was like, oh that's cool. I can't wait to watch this movie. And then I read this article that came out a few weeks later that you said, like the headline was John Chu having trouble casting authentic accents in crazy as Asians. And I did the most Hollywood thing ever. I just called my agent and I was like, yo, I will never do this. I told my agent, I'll never pull this card, but if you get me an audition, I promise you, I'm going to book this. I promise you. And then he was he got me on to send an audition in. I taped it, I sent it in a few weeks later, I got cast.
Speaker 12: Come on, I mean, the reality is you already on our list?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know. So then I meet you on set and you're like, oh yeah, you always on a pitch deck, literally my pitch deck.
Speaker 12: I would like, clip around and we're going to get Ronnie Chank.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be the Asian Avengers. Okay, okay, that's grand.
Speaker 1: Now you are part of the Marvel universe.
Speaker 3: Now that's great. But then that would never go back to me. No one told me I was on the pitch decks. I was auditioning.
Speaker 12: I was you gotta make it work for it.
Speaker 3: I was happy in audition for it in the first and you told me where I got on set was I just I loved how positive you are on set. It's my first time on any movie set. I was just like some small role and you know, I wasn't trying to make about me at all, but you're so you're so positive, you didn't at all. Never and you came up to me, and the first thing you said was like, hey man, you know I see auras. And I go like, I'm like, I don't want to know my aura. Please don't tell me you got you you got you got pink dots on your arm and and that, like I've injured right arm. And so I don't know how you saw that.
Speaker 12: Well, you shouldn't be on edibles when you meet your actor for the first time. But if you're outing me as a spiritualist, then you know, I don't. I don't know if I believe in all that, but I do see colors do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I've never said that publicly, just to I'm trying to get I'm trying to get you say stuff you didn't say on Colbert. It is true, It's true. Yeah, I see it. I see you have a lot.
Speaker 12: Of blue spikes right now, right now, all over your head. I don't know what it means, so I cannot actually tell you.
Speaker 3: You think it's the lighting, man, it's true, but you know edible, so I'm not. Yeah, but you are always relentlessly very positive, you know. And that was a tough film to make. And I mean when you were making it, did you did you know that it was going to become what it was?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 12: I don't think any of us could have known. I think when we were there and we're all together, we're talking about our experiences of being an Asian person in entertainment from all around the world, wherever anyone came from, I think we shared something and that was really powerful, that hey, this is actually really important. Whether people see it or not, we didn't know it, didn't really care. It was like for us to show off what we could do. We could make fun of ourselves and our culture and our people, and we could show them as beautiful and as heroes and as villains in any way we wanted. And I think it was when we were making it is when I felt like, if people get a load of this, they're.
Speaker 11: Not even ready.
Speaker 3: So you could feel it on set I could.
Speaker 12: Feel it on set, but you don't know until the audience shows up in that first weekend, when people brought their grandmothers and people who had go on the movies for all these years, and we're crying outside and would just congregate in the lobby. You just felt that like we were part of something, something, something bigger than us.
Speaker 3: And I guess I want to talk about that, this relentless positivity that I felt back then and I still feel now. And I guess I don't know if you have any woods of how to stay positive in these times, because I feel like, if anything, like the world has gone less positive after we made this movie, but you never stopped with the positivity. So I don't know if you have any Yeah, I'm expective on that.
Speaker 12: That's part of the reason why I wrote the book is you know, I grew up in America where people believed in their dreams that you could achieve these things. My parents have a Chinese restaurant. I grew up as a restaurant kid, doing my whole tek at the bar. Yeah, you go there all the time, and that's right, that's right, And I feel like, you know, the American dream still exists. Yes, it was maybe not what our parents said it was, and maybe not what we hoped it would be, but the idea of it still exists, and we have the power to control what that narrative will be in the future. And I really wanted in the book to show any young dreamer out there, old dreamer, when you're on the cusp of chasing your dream, that it can happen, and that it's hard, and that there's ups and downs and it's not overnight. But if you just keep walking, you'll end up at some place. And I think that's necessary in this world right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I did read this, and it's a patient I did read it. I did. I was looking for my name. I was the it's already at the end, so I had to read the whole book before I could find out what you said about me. But no, this book is a very positive book. I feel like I almost feel like you wrote it for kids to read, almost in a way for them to read and see, yeah, you know how to navigate kind of dream chasing.
Speaker 12: I also think like everyone has a camera now, everyone's a creator. Everyone has a you know, on their phones or editing for TikTok or whatever it may be.
Speaker 1: And there's that's power.
Speaker 3: That is a very powerful thing in your hand.
Speaker 12: And I you know, when I started making videos, it was for weddings and bar mitzvah and high school and I was like the only kid doing it and now everyone does it. So I think there's like a responsibility when you realize the power that you have, and I think there is. I think there's a there's understanding what that grammar is of audio visual storytelling and what you want to say is more important than ever and owning who you are. That's why it's called viewfinder, is to find who you are and how you want to express that. And you may have mistakes that you make along the way, but that's okay. It's it's a constant, it's a it's a routine. Chasing your dreams a routine. It isn't a goal or destination.
Speaker 3: And no, I do want to talk about this next project you're doing. So you've helped Asian representation in film, and you've helped Latino representation in film, and now you're helping green people. Yeah, be representative film. So this next movie project wick good? Yeah? Well when yeah, when is it.
Speaker 12: It's coming out in November twenty second, and we have Aurana Grande Cynthia Rivo playing the two witches.
Speaker 3: And I mean, just set it up. What made you want to choose to walk on Wicked.
Speaker 12: Well, it's about the backstory of the Wicked Witch of the West. So Cynthia Riva plays Elphaba, who in the story of the Wizard of Oz, which is probably one of the greatest American fairy tales out there, she is seen as like the Wicked Witch, but there's a deeper planned, a darker plan that has made her the Wicked Witch. And when you get to meet her as a young dreamer that you find out that there's more than meets the eye. And seeing that story in a totally different point of view is fascinating, interesting, and you get to almost like take apart the American story and put it back together. And I loved it so that it had a lot of meeting to me in terms of, you know, anyone who feels different and what does it feel like to come through And also for Glinda, who's Glinda the Good in Wizard of Oz, that she goes through a transition that she could live in a bubble, her whole life and never have to fight for anything because she has that privilege. But at some point Glinda also has to pop her own bubble, and I think that is as much bravery as anyone else to get off your uh you know, your your privilege for a moment to confront some of the things that we have to confront these days.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, this is the way you talk about your all your projects. It's all like that. That's how he talks about everything on set. He's always it's it's real. It's real for him. It's in here, it's really here. And I just want to say, you know, thanks so much for believing in me on your project. I love you so much. You change my life by putting me on, and thanks for trusting me, and thanks for making all these really great films, don't you. Everybody jus.
Speaker 1: Take a quick break.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back after this. That's all show up for tonight. Now here it is is your moment of that.
Speaker 14: Remember the Bowery Boys Saturday Mornings, he's here on Remember Satch and right and what's the other guy, Muggsy? Yeah, but wait, almost everybody that we watched on television growing up was quirky and weird Dedit made them special right from starting then, and so I.
Speaker 3: Just think that weird is cool.
Speaker 14: Actually, I don't have any problem with weird.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 1: Plus Paramount Podcasts