Speaker 1: What's going on? Rich DeMuro here rich on Tech, and you are listening to rich on Tech Live. This is the show where I help you make the most out of your gadgets, learning the ins and outs of what's happening in the tech world, and answering your tech questions live. So give me a call. The phone number is open. It's three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Just want to say thanks to my webcasting or I guess my web hosting service. It's called pipa p I p p a dot io. You guys have been killing it on the downloads. It's made it so easy for me to put out a daily podcast every day. So if you have not checked it out, go to my show page. Let's see it's pippa dot io slash Let's see if it's slash shows slash rich on Tech. Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: It is pipa dot Io slash show, slash rich on Tech. Or you can just go to rich on Tech dot tv slash podcast and I'll throw the link up there as well. But basically now I'm doing a daily update every single day and then on the weekends, I'm doing the show that you're listening to right now. So thanks to everyone that's tuning in right now on Facebook Live. If you're watching there, thanks so much. And if you're listening in the car or wherever you happen to be, thanks for helping me out here and listening. So I love answering your questions. And let's just start with something that's happening real quick in the news right now as we speak. So Apple has had kind of a rough run. Two things that are going on with Apple right now that are just crazy. So number one, there's a character that if you send it to the iPhone, it will crash the iPhone, not just the iPhone, but also the Apple Watch and mac os. So it's an Indian character. It's a character of the Telugu language, which is spoken by about seventy million people in India. And I don't even know what it looks like. I mean, it just looks like a little I don't know, snake or something. But it's a character that if you send it to the iPhone, it will crash it. So don't do this. In fact, the websites aren't even copying, letting you copy and paste the character because it's that dangerous, so don't do that. But yeah, so Apple, I guess they tried this out on a bunch of phones and it crashes. The whole thing makes your phone go into bootloop. So do not try this at home. Not something you even want to try out. But apparently on iOS eleven point three, which is the next version coming out that beta, it is immune to it, so I guess it's already fixed. Apple already knows about this. But the problem is they can't just send out a little tiny update every single day, even though it seems like we've gotten a lot of updates from Apple lately, but that one you're gonna have to wait for. The good news is I mean, unless you live in India, you're probably not sending this character a lot. So it is a problem. But you know, these kind of things happen, all right. So here's the other thing happening with Apple. We talked about the home Pod last week. This is their three hundred and fifty dollars smart speaker. Well, now there's a little problem with that speaker, and you have my review on it. The thing sounds amazing, but it's very limited because all it gives you is Apple Music. So if you're an Apple Music subscriber, that's awesome. But otherwise, I mean, what are you gonna do with this thing. You can't get iHeartRadio on it, you can't get Pandora on it, you can't get anything on it except Apple Music. So it's very limited. But it sounds great. But here's the problem. You put it on a wooden desk or a wooden piece of furniture and it's gonna leave a ring on the bottom. That's not good. Apparently there's some kind of oil or something that's in the silicone base that is causing leaving a little ring behind, and so already there is well. Apple's response to this was, hey, look, you know what, that's pretty typical for a silicone what do they call vibration dampening silicone base to leave mild marks when placed on wooden surfaces. And they said that Echo Dot and Sono Swan reportedly can also leave similar marks. And they said, look, you can wipe it down, wipe down your table, or you can you know, they go away after a while. So it's funny. When we were testing this out on my kitchen table, I put this thing down, no joke, for a minute or two. We were just shooting our segment, and when I picked it up and moved it to a different spot, there was the ring. And my photographer and I both looked at this and we're like, wait a second, what's going on there? And you know, I just thought it was my table was kind of like greasy. Maybe there's a film on top of it that you know, just wasn't agreeing with this thing. But no, apparently a lot of people are having this problem. So already, a company called Pad and Quill have a full grain leather, marine grade stitched coaster for your home pod that's nineteen ninety five, and it is interesting. I will tell you this. If you have the Google Home Max, it does ship with a little rubber pad that you put underneath it. So I don't know, maybe they knew that theirs would do the same thing. I'm just saying, there's comes with something. So phone line is open. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Don't be shy, go ahead, give me a call. The phone line is open. You don't have to show your face. All you gotta do is call. Let's take some of your comments from the live stream, and Carlos says, Apple's starting to look like Apple from the eighties. We all know what happened then Ouch. Peter says, Echo Dot stinks. I have it. I'd rather have Google. You know. Look, Alexa does a lot of stuff, but to me, personally, I think that Google is just killing it when it comes to voice commands, and that's just that's where my money is right now. Siri is fantastic for simple tasks. I think the home Pod is gonna be great if you're an Apple Music subscriber, but otherwise I'm all about Google. And let's see where else do we have. Cynthia says, I wonder if it's from the heat, so that could be it. It could be from the heat, but I'm not sure. All right, let's take our first caller seven one four. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hey, I have a question about why s body Wi Fi in your house?
Speaker 1: Okay, who am I speaking with?
Speaker 3: This is Debbie and you sent you replied to my email today, which is great. So I had our cable people come out and I was having a lot.
Speaker 2: Of unal internet problems.
Speaker 3: And issues from Wi Fi and I use everything Wi Fi and I'll plug in, and they suggested to get a mesh router. Yes, I don't even understand what it is or how it works.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I'm glad. Who do you have for your cable? Who's your Internet spectrum? Okay, so I have spectrum. I have a mesh system in my house. It will change your life. So here's what meshes versus the old way. So the old way is you'd have that router that they give you in the middle of your house. It has a little may have an intenta on it. May it used to. Nowadays they don't really have antennas. But it would put out a Wi Fi signal and that Wi Fi signal would be really good right by the box, and then of course the further you get out from that box, it just sort of dissipates. Right Well, right then we came into the world where we had these things called boosters, and the booster would take that little signal and it would kind of boomerang it to other parts of your house. But guess what if you're taking a signal that's already not very strong and boomerang it somewhere else, how do you think that signal is going to be Debbie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have one of those, and it doesn't work either exactly.
Speaker 1: So now we have the new thing, which are the mesh networks. And these mesh networks actually create one big solid network around your house with the same strong signal in every room. And so here's how they work. You plug one in by your router. Then you plug another one in in like let's say one room over or two rooms over, whatever. As long as you can get a strong signal to the next one, it'll work. Then you put another one in another room of your house. So I have about three or four of them in my house. You can go crazy if you want, but they do work really well. Once you get these things in your house, they create one network that literally just blankets your house in the same exact strong signal in every corner. And so with Spectrum, if you're paying for one hundred one hundred down, let's say usually it's either one hundred or three hundred down. If you're really paying for the high end Spectrum Internet, you will get that one hundred down in every room of your house. So, for instance, I'll do a quick speed test here on my computer, and uh, let's see here. So uh, let's see. I go to the website called fast dot com and it's a great website to just kind of check your internet and see how it is. And let's see what I'm getting right now. So okay, since I'm on the phone with you, it's not very good because I'm using a lot of bandwidth right now. But normally what I get is about one hundred in every room, which I'm that's what I'm paying for in every room of my house. So here's the ones I recommend. That's what you want to That's what you called about.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I want to I want to know that. And how many you recommend for a house that I don't have a huge house, that's only like fifteen hundred square feet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so for fifteen hundred square feet, you're probably gonna be just fine with three of these devices. So here's the deal. So there's a couple that you can get. So let's see. That big one is Netgear ORB and that one is really is really highly rated, so a lot of people like that one. Let me let me bring this up on here so you guys can see what I'm doing here. Let me move that and there it is. Okay, So here's Netgear Orby, and a lot of people like this one. It's it's just it's just super highly rated. And let's see how expensive it is. Because it is, they're not cheap, let's put it that way. So, but I've seen these at like Costco, and you can get them for a little bit cheaper. But this is the one. When I was in best By quizzing the guy, he was telling me that this is the one that everyone is buying, which is the Orby system. And let's see how much their base their base system, which they say covers up to thirty five hundred square feet, let's see how much they say their says, come on, it's again, it's the Netgear Orby. That's two hundred dollars at Amazon. So now here's the thing that's more expensive than your typical router, which is probably like one hundred bucks. But your internet is going to be so much better. Now here's the other one.
Speaker 2: I like.
Speaker 1: Google Wi Fi is another one that's really good. And the good news about Google Wi Fi is that you get a set of three for two hundred and fifty bucks. Okay, and that works really well. But here's the problem. And if you're listening or watching and you just think you need one of these things. You just want to kind of soup up your internet with just one. You can get a one pack of the Google Wi Fi for only one hundred and thirteen dollars. I know, only it's still expensive. But what I have is the euro system, and Eero is pretty much the best because they invented the entire genre. Okay, so they're the guys that came out with it first. But as you might expect, they're the most expensive. They're four hundred dollars for three of them. And so that's the one. I went home to my I was at my in laws or my sister's house, and my brother in law is playing something on Hulu and I just it kept buffering, and I said, dude, you gotta get this system. You gotta get Eero. We went out. I went to Best Boy, he gave me his credit card. I bought Euro I installed it in his house. He could not be happier. It just works so well. So those are the three I recommend, and when you have it, you will be amazed.
Speaker 3: Okay, awesome?
Speaker 1: Any other questions about it?
Speaker 3: And is that all I need? Do I have to all forget a modem.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the deal. So Spectrum gives you the modem, so that thing that connects you know, where your internet kind of your cable comes into your house. You know what I mean, they will they give you that. Spectrum supplies that, so this this will connect to the back of that right okay, And then what you want to do with any of these systems once you install, like a Mesh Wi Fi, you want to go into the settings on the Spectrum cable modem and you want to turn off the Wi Fi that that emanates. So there is a way you go on. You go on the bottom of the cable modem. It will have a little address like an access address. It usually starts with like one nine to eight or something like that, or it might be called just admin or something like that. You type it into your web browser with a username and password. It's also printed on the bottom of the cable modem, and then you will log into that cable modem. I know it sounds weird, but then you go in and you look for the option to turn off the Wi Fi on the cable modem. You don't have to do that, but the problem is if you don't, you're gonna have a bunch of competing networks in your house, and you don't want to do that. So it's much easier to just turn that off. And that's that's the thing that most people forget to do.
Speaker 3: Are these easy to set up?
Speaker 1: Super easy? So do you have an iPhone or an Android?
Speaker 3: I did iPhone?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you go on your iPhone. You basically at the iPhone, you download the app. It walks you through everything. It'll say, okay, now turn off your cable modem. Okay, now plug this in. Connect it to your cable modem. Now turn on the cable modem. Now turn on the little booster whatever you want to call it, the mesh Wi Fi system. Then it'll say okay, Now take the second one out of the box. Go put it in a room that's you know, next door, and plug it in and it'll find it. And then it'll say, okay, great, we found it. We're going to test the speed. It looks great. Now you can move on to the next one and it will tell you if it's a good placement or not. So you can start by placing it sort of in, like you know, it's just somewhere where you can kind of you just have to use your imagination to kind of or I guess use your judgment, I should say, to figure out where the best placement is. But then the app will confirm if that's a good placement. Okay, cool, cool, all right, Debbie call me back. All right, thank you. All right, let's look at some of the comments you guys are saying on here. So uh Dhalia says, so if I upgrade my old Spectrum router will have the Mesh network and be faster? Or will I have to buy that separately? No, you do have to buy that separately. So even if you get the better router from Spectrum, it will still not have the Mesh networking on it. Alexander says, thanks for thefast dot com info, and Linda says three for a small place, and sad and Joe says one hundred down or up? Oh man, Joe, I wish I had a hundred up. No, one hundred down is pretty standard with Spectrum, but upload, I think they give you ten on the up. Eight when eight you're on with Rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 4: Wow? This is Luana?
Speaker 1: Luana? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: You know I have he may have already answered this question. But I actually wrote it in a while back. It's about the iPhone six and success, the new the battery that you're supposed to get for twenty nine dollars. Okay, I want to know if there was a deadline, and also if I mean I'm bringing all those things on Facebook about how you shouldn't take it in because you have to have these qualifying things. I mean, how do I know if I have those qualifying things? My phone has been doing this thing where see it on Facebook for example at completely lock.
Speaker 1: No, you don't. You don't need any any qualifiers anymore right now, so you just don't. It's it's twenty nine dollars if you have an iPhone. Okay. So what you're talking about is basically Apple came out and said, look, we slow down older phones because as the battery degrades, we want to make sure those phones have a smooth experience. And people were outraged because like, wait a second, what I can just speed up my phone if I replace the battery I already paid to replace my it was eighty bucks. And they said, okay, okay, okay, we'll replace any battery for thirty dollars and your phone will speed up. So that's what Luana is referring to. And so if you have an iPhone se an, iPhone six six plus, six S six s plus, seven seven plus, eight eight plus, or iPhone ten, they will replace your battery for free.
Speaker 4: So I don't have to go to the I could go to the app store. I don't have to go to the store where I bought the phone from for like, you know, I don't know where I go.
Speaker 1: No, you just go right to the Just go right to the Apple store. Now you want to make an appointment, that's for sure. And here's the other part. I'm getting emails from folks that have tried this, and they said that it is they're backlogged so that you may not get it right away, you know. So just go into the store and see what they say. Now you can also do it. You can send it in. Now I've done this with my wife's Apple Watch. I could not believe how fast it was. I went online, I said her Apple Watch had a problem. They sent me a box to put her Apple Watch in. I put the Apple Watch in that box, and no joke, it must have been not the next day, but the next day her Apple Watch was back or replacement. I couldn't tell if it was new or refurbished. I couldn't tell. But you can also do that with your iPhone and that might be easier depending on where you live and how much backlog there is at your Apple store, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, well okay, I'm sorry. What was the highest the lowest ever you went to? Because I have a fun phone? Who has a iPhone five? Is that not eligible for?
Speaker 5: About?
Speaker 1: iPhone five is not eligible? Here's the phones right here, iPhone se six basically iPhone se and then six and up, so iPhone five that's not part of the program right now, so they can they might be able to replace the battery on that, but it's it's eighty dollars.
Speaker 4: So okay, very good, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, Luana, thanks so much for listening today or watching. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, there you have it. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Lots of questions, let's see. Rachel says, brilliant. I learned so much listening to your responses. Well, thank you, Rachel, and Alina says Apple wants money, you know they do. I mean, there is an argument for saying that Apple should be giving these battery replacements for free. But let's be honest. If you if Apple said we're gonna do these battery replacements for free, can you imagine how many people would take advantage. Already everyone's taking advantage of these these battery replacements at thirty dollars. Imagine if they were free. Now here's the other thing Apple with the new iOS eleven point three, which is gonna come out soon, They're gonna give you the option to turn off the throttling of your phone. So if you have one of these phones with an older battery, you can take the risk of saying, look, I'm okay with my phone maybe randomly restarting or not, or you know, apps crashing randomly. Because I will take that risk, you can You'll be able to turn off that feature in the settings. All right, Three two three, you're on with Rich Who am I speaking with? Oh?
Speaker 6: You're speaking with Jake.
Speaker 1: Jake, What's what's on your mind? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I got a pretty question that I was thinking you might have a good opinion on. So I have an original Apple Watch, okay, and the battery it's getting super old on it. I mean it's runs out probably by like seven o'clock at night. Especially if I work out it's gone and really use.
Speaker 2: It for fitness all the time.
Speaker 6: Do you think it's better to wait until they come out with a new one or just upgraded?
Speaker 1: Now, hold on, let me let me get this website that I like, and I can tell you. So I'm going to a website called mac Rumors and they do this. Have you looked at this thing? So? This is really cool. It's basically website that tells you when the last time Apple products came out. So if you buy an Apple product, like me, like I'll buy something, and you know that there's a life cycle basically a year, maybe a year and a half or two years, And with the Apple Watch so far, it's been about I think about a year cycle for each one of the upgrades. And so if you have the original one, which is going on, I think about three years old now at this point, which is crazy to think that they've been out that long. Yeah, it's and so here's the question. So the last one. I'm looking at this website, and according to this website, the last time they released a Apple Watch was September twenty seventeen, one hundred and fifty three days ago. According to the website, the average is four hundred and forty five days, which means you're literally right in the middle of a cycle. So yeah, and they're not selling the Apple Watch Series two anymore. They're basically doing either the one or the three. And I highly recommend you going with the three, by the way, because if especially if you're using it for anything sports related, the three is way better because it has a lot more it's got a lot more sensitivity on it with the tracking and the everything is just way better. So should you, Well, here's an option.
Speaker 6: But I guess my thing is, like, do you think they're going to come out like with a smaller version because they have the same it's the same body style they've had basically since since I got it three years ago. You know, do you think they're going to dramatically upgrade it just from what you your opinion?
Speaker 5: I guess I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so, because here's the thing, Like already, when I have meetings with Apple, they call it the iconic styling of the Watch, and they really pride themselves on the fact that the it really hasn't changed much in three years, which I got to give them credit for. In fact, the Apple Watch Series three is actually like a millimeter thicker than the old one, but that's it. It's like almost identical, even with the cellular inside. And that means that if you have a strap that you like or any accessories that you like, they all work the same, which is really nice because we hate when they change stuff just to change it. So I don't think it's going to be that crazy. I think I think now's the time to buy. If you're telling me you do a lot of this stuff and you're using it for sports, I think that you're gonna want want to have the new version just because now here's the other thing. They just came out with a refurbished Apple Watch Series three, so if you're into that, those just went on sale like literally, I think today. So if you see this, I'm looking at the price on that two hundred and seventy nine dollars, which is fifty dollars off. Now, yeah, that's not that I guess.
Speaker 6: Then they came out of something in September that was just spectacular, then I would feel bad about upgrading it again.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and you can always The beauty about Apple products is that you can always flip them on eBay. So even if you spend two seventy nine on this watch today and something comes out in September, someone out there is gonna want to buy this watch from you for one hundred dollars. I mean, even my friend who just broke his you know, Apple wanted like two hundred and thirty dollars to fix it, and he's like, no way, it's a Series one, and so he's gonna just sell it on eBay. Someone's gonna buy it for the parts or repair it themselves and flip it. So there's always that's the beauty of Apple products. There's always this great secondary market for them. So I would check out the refirmation.
Speaker 6: And then also, yeah, it's like you I really do use the watch. It's not just you know, I use it for fitness. I don't really you know, it's not like a gimmicky product. Is something part of my life.
Speaker 1: So you know, I think the Apple Watch is probably I mean, it is the best wearable out there. It's it's just unbelievable. My wife did not want one, and I was like, look, you're going to get one, and and she's like, I don't want to wear that and she can't go a day without it now, I mean she absolutely, she loves every aspect of it, especially to me. It's a fitness tracker, that's what. It's the best fitness tracker out there. And closing those rings just feel so great, you know, totally.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I turn off a lot of the other features on it because it's just because the fitnessing, the fitness tracking is so good on it that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I'm when I'm wearing mine, I will I will just have the fitness tracking and the only other thing I do is text messages and that's it, you know, any messages, you know, not no, notif it. I don't get notifications for Instagram or Facebook or anything. And phone calls obviously, so that's nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean Mine the series the well is it? The series won the first one, I guess ye original. Yeah, I mean it's not even usable for that because it's so slow. Yeah, the fitness track it still works, still works well, but everything else is like not really usable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's gotten a lot faster over the years, and I still don't think even with the series three, there's times and I still think it's a little laggy. But you know, it is still the best out there. Believe me, it's still it's still pretty amazing. So I think you'll be very happy with it. And you know, I don't know what the deal is with your you know, how much you want to spend. But the LTE inside, like it's it gets kind of expensive though, so I don't really recommend it unless you really truly need it, Like if you're running all the time, like twenty miles, you know, in the middle of nowhere, and you want to make sure you're you know, and you don't want to carry your phone. But otherwise the lt is kind of like, don't really need it, and it's ten more dollars a month.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, but I am somewhat addicted to running, you know, you know, with the watch, and like not having to carry my phone is really appealing.
Speaker 1: Having music and yeah, you know, and so but here's the thing you have to keep in mind. So you know, if you have Apple Music, if you're already paying for that, that's fine. That's ten bucks a month, and it makes it easy to put the music on your phone. But the LTE is really nice because when I run with it without my phone, it is those the Apple Watch combined with the AirPods is pretty much to me. I'm a runner. That's the perfect run. I mean, it doesn't get any better than that. You're lightweight, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, I get it.
Speaker 1: And if you ever fell in a ditch, you can call someone for help. I'm like, if you had your yeah, exactly. Yeah, all right, Jake, thanks so much for calling in appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, thanks rich all right, good luck?
Speaker 1: All right, guys. So the website, if you didn't see it, there was a buyer's guide dot mac rumors dot com. So if you're ever going to buy an Apple product, always check out this website because it will tell you when the last time something how do I assume out here? Here there we go. It'll tell you the last time that something was made new, you know, the last time that Apple came out with something. So if we look at iPhone here, we can see iPhone eight neutral, iPhone ten by now se don't buy. So it's just a great resource for you guys, if you're looking to buy Apple products. All right, Cody says, you have children, Yes, I do. I am just wondering. I've got so many things on my screen here I'm just wondering, what's the best children's tablet? What do you think would be best for my children? So here's the deal. I know you don't want to hear this, and I don't want to make this an Apple show because it's not. And believe me, I'm very platform agnostic. I'm not the Apple fanboy. I like certain things about Apple, I dislike certain things about Apple, and I love a lot of things about Android. But I will tell you, when it comes to tablets, the best tablet out there is the iPad Mini. For your kid. You're going to get the best selection of apps. It's the easiest one to use. You can set restrictions on it so they can't download stuff and do things. I know a lot of people like the Amazon Fire tablets for kids. I got those for my kids and I had them for no joke, less than twenty four hours before I sent them back because they're just not that intuitive. And I know a lot of parents you don't want to hear that, but I'm telling you save yourself a hassle. The best apps and the easiest use is on the iPad and that's what I got my kids. I put them in an otter box they've had them for I bought them the day they came out when Apple announced the new ones because I wanted to make sure I hopped on that life cycle. Of That's the thing. The longer you wait to buy Apple products, the more you're kind of dancing with the the devil, so to say, Like Jake is wondering, Hey, do I get this thing now or do I wait? Because you always want to buy it, like right when it comes out, because you know something else is coming down the pipeline in a year and you don't want to have something old. John. Back to our last conversation, why not Fitbit instead of Apple Watch for a fitness tracker? Yes, I'm wearing one right now. I love the fitbit as well. I think that that's up against the Apple Watch, your other best option. So the Fippit is fantastic, and the beauty of the Fippit is that it also tracks your sleep, something that the Apple Watch does not do. And so that's the thing you need to know, is that I love the sleep tracking on the Apple Watch. That is, I'm sorry on the fipbit, and that's something that the Apple Watch just does not deliver. All Right, Eight, you're on with Rich eight eight? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 1: Rich Pauline, Pauline, how you doing?
Speaker 5: I'm okay, I'm gonna Can I just have you turned down?
Speaker 1: Can you just turn down the Facebook behind you? The old radio thing? You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've gotta send some Galaxy tablet okay. And I can't get my SMS going. I can'tnot send messages through my table have to go back to my cell phone and then send messages. I'm never on my cell I'm always on my tablet.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: I like to send my messages from my tablet to who I'm talking to.
Speaker 1: I hear you, okay, So here's what you need to do. What well, how are you trying to send messages through your tablet? What are you using?
Speaker 5: I'm using their Messenger or just you know, using messenger.
Speaker 1: So like Facebook Messenger or like or text messaging, text messaging, okay, text messaging. Okay. So here's the thing. Does your does your tablet have a wireless and internet connection on it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It does, it does okay, And so is it a cellular connection? Like? Do you pay for it every month?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 5: I pay at and.
Speaker 4: T you verse?
Speaker 1: Okay? You pay you verse. Okay, all right, so here's here's what I think you need to do. Download an app. It's called Pulse Pulse SMS okay, and there's a couple of these, but this one I like the best, and it will allow you to basically sync up your text messages between your computer, tablet and your phone. So you install it on your cell phone, you're gonna have to go through a little sign up process and if you want to access all your messages everywhere, they do charge you. I think it's let me see how much it is. It's not expensive, but it's it is a little cost. Let me tell you. So it's uh, let's see for the year. It's six dollars for the year. Now I paid for the whole. I paid for the lifetime, which is eleven dollars. You never have to pay again. But you can try it out or just try the free trial. You get seven days free and then you can go you can go dollar a month and two dollars for three months. But this is for Android only. And what you do is you do you have an Android phone? You said you did, right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Tablet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So you install it on your phone first, sync it up. Then you install the same program on your tablet, you log in with your same user name, and all your text messages will be on the same at both It'll all be synced up. So whether you whether you send a text on your tablet or on your phone, next time you go to your tablet or phone, the message will be there in both places. And it's really easy, it's really slick, and I think you're gonna like it because it's the easiest way to do that. So okay, that's what I recommend. So again, it's called Pulse p U L S E S M S and it's made by a company called Clinker Apps k l I n K E r A p p S dot com. And that's the one I use. I really like it, so check it out.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're great, you're after I watch you on TV all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh, Pauline, I appreciate it. Thank you so much for the kind words, just helping you guys out here. It's like my office hours, all right, have a great day. All right, just about ten more minutes here, So if you guys want to call in, you can three one zero five nine four three zero zero three And Anna says, I love my fitbit charge two and Arthur says, you can't get a lot of viruses on Apple, or so I've heard that is true. They usually do not have viruses on Apple at all. And afternoon Rich Tom says, why do my essay and sansum notate wallpaper burn the screen? Ooh, that's interesting. I haven't heard about that all O. Led screens are susceptible to burn in. Really depends on the type of wallpaper you use. If you don't want that to happen, just be careful with any wallpaper that has bright white in it, and you know, and change your wallpaper out too. All right, let's see three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. I didn't even get to talk about anything that you guys that I had written about. Let's see, man, I have so many things. Let's see. Oh gosh, okay, Well, take another call then sixty six one, sixty sixth one? You are on with Rich? Who am I speaking with? Hey?
Speaker 2: Hey, Rich, it's Greg from the Ale.
Speaker 1: Greg. What's going on? I should know your number by now, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes I call it with the home phone.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well, but.
Speaker 2: If you see sixty six one, it might be a clue.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna have to every time it's six six to one, I'm just gonna say, what's up, Greg, So what's going on?
Speaker 2: I had a question about the sink. I have the Ford Sinc Three in my edge, and when I connect my phone sometimes the library, my music library will only show the recently music that I have added. It won't list all my artists.
Speaker 1: Do I have to do?
Speaker 2: I have to like update the sync as well, because I have tried that and it just it's a continuously you know, like how it's what do you call it buffering or you know the cricle keeps going.
Speaker 1: What? So this is music? This is your own personal music like MP three's.
Speaker 2: No you know, through iTunes, through my iPhone.
Speaker 1: Oh this is iPhone? Okay, interesting, so it's iPhone. That So when you plug in your phone to your car, you know, and if it's displaying the information on screen, it's usually kind of pulling that information first, and then you know, it's I guess to use like a computer term. It's like redrawing, you know, every every so often. It's not every single time, but usually when you change menus or something like that. So you're saying when you plug it in, it's only showing you a selection of your music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it goes automatically to recently added music, and I mean I added that music months ago. It doesn't really it's not really updated because like I'll add maybe van Halen two days ago, and it won't show there. But it always goes to that screen. And then when I go back to where it says artists, it doesn't list everything. I'll have to like keep going back and then eventually right, it'll.
Speaker 1: So right and eventually and that's kind of what I'm talking about with this redraw. So it's not it's not it's not pulling the data from your iPod or your phone. I guess it is these days. Every single time. It's kind of doing a refresh once in a while and I think, oh, how old is the car? How many is it? SYNC three or what? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sink three interesting last year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it should it should be pulling that for that data more often. I I, Yeah, I don't know why it's not doing that. I think that it could be is a software up to date on the SYNC.
Speaker 2: I That's what I was wondering too. I mean, because like I I there's a when you go through the menu, there's a part where it says, you know, software update, and I put stat and like I said, it just three buffers. I don't my my internet isn't that great here because we live out, you know, kind of out, So.
Speaker 1: Well I would I would bring it. I would, Well, I'd go online first off and just search your what the what the number is on your sync, like the software, and see if there's a new or update. These car companies they're not they're not coming out with stuff as fast as like say Apple for the iPhone or Android, but they are coming up with updates, and I know with sinc Apple Ford has definitely been trying to up the ante with that. So I would check number one to see if your software is up to date number two. If that is, I would maybe do a reset of your settings on your sink just to kind of clear everything out, whatever you know, cash it has on there. I would just get rid of that and start over and plug your phone in and just see what happens. But it sounds like there's some kind of database that it's pulling from that's just a little bit out of date, and I think it needs to be updated and you'll figure it out that way, all right, all right.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I want to enjoy your info and thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Have a good day, all right, Greg, I'll talk to you next time next week, right, tell me if it works, okay, bye bye. All right, let's see we got a lot of questions here on the live chat. Alexander says their way to use I Message on a PC. I have Mac and my wife has PC. Unfortunately there is not. And it's so annoying because all Apple has to do is write a program for Windows computers and Android phones for I Message, and they would rule messaging across the world. A well, okay, not across the world because a lot of people use WhatsApp in other parts of the world, but okay, fine, they would rule messaging in the US. Do you know how many people are split families with iPhone and Android or Windows PC and iPhone and you can't send texts. Apple loves to keep people locked in their little ecosystem, and it's so frustrating because the average come on, You're just like, wait, what you're looking for this? Why where's this solution? It makes sense? Why would they not do this in this day and age? Everything works everywhere except for Apple, So Alexander, No, they do not. And yes, I'm very annoyed at that, because you know, it's just come on, It's one way that they keep people on iPhone. People love I meassage. I message is fantastic, it works great, it does the job. It sinks across your computer if you have a Mac and a tablet and an iPhone. But they need to make it for other platforms. So no, sorry, and says I have an eight year old Dell. When I turn it on, I get a flashing orange light. Is it worth repairing eight year old Dell? No? I don't think so. I would. I would put that on eBay, make sure your personal data is off of it, put on eBay, or give it to goodwill. Let's see. Gladys says, what's a good antenna for antenna TV? The one I like is from Mohu Mohu, so if you go to Mohu, I'll bring this up here. Let's see here. I have so many things on my screen. I keep saying that, but yeah, so let's see Moho Glide. So originally I like the Mohu Leaf, which is their kind of inexpensive one. But let's see. This one is the Moho Leaf Glide. That's kind of their high end model, and it's ninety dollars. But I'm telling you you will love it. It will pick up so many, so many stations. And I just did a test with this thing. I'm gonna do a story on this soon, but I was just testing out some of these antennas and Moho I've loved for a long time. If you want, you can go with the Glide that's their high end one. If you don't like that, you can go with a lower end, which is the Basic that's like thirty dollars. It really depends where you live and what kind of signal you can get. So this one is thirty dollars. And these are all on Amazon as well, but search Moho mohu. All right, let's see who else has a question here. Dave says, Apple TV or Google Chrome Cast. Oh my gosh, I okay, So I'm partial to Apple TV if you have a family or other people in your home, because it's way easier to navigate on screen with the remote control. If you're single, you don't have anyone else in your household, go with the Google Chrome Cast. It's way cheaper and you use your phone to control it. And I love the backdrop of the pictures on Google Chrome Cast and it's way cheaper. So that's kind of my one two with the Apple TV or Google Chrome Cast. Let's see. Connie says, why does the iPhone ten need to have the battery changed out? Has there been a problem with them? No, there's no problem with the iPhone ten. They're just they just put on the list in case you wanted to do that. Let's see here. Becky says, can I listen to Apple Music on my Google Mini? Not really, not easily. I mean, you can bluetooth it from your phone to the Apple to the Google Mini. But here's the deal. If you have Apple Music, if you're already subscribed to it, the Mini will work with it. But it's not a pretty setup. It's not as easy as it would be to have something like Spotify or Pandora or Google Play Music. It will work, but it's not as pretty. Debbie says, how can you clear personal data from your laptop easily to sell? Oh, it's not easy. There is an app that does it, and the name of it is Oh my gosh, let's see clear Personal I gotta remember it's like DCSCC or something, and I tried it, you know what I mean, and it was really tough for me to do, so I really can't. Yeah, I would say if you have Windows, if you have the new version of Windows, you can go into reset this PC and remove everything. If you have Windows ten, it will do that. But if you have an old version of Windows, it's not as easy as that. And if you have a Mac computer, it's actually pretty easy. You can just go into the utilities and clean the Mac and have to write over the data. Because even if you just format a computer, someone can go in there that's really smart and still recover that data. Because here's what's happening. Let's say you have files in a filing cabinet, right and you want to give that filing cabinet away. You can mix up all the files and put them all in different places, but they're still going to be in there, so you'd have to actually, you know, basically wipe out those files and get them. That's sound a very good analogy. It's a very tough analogy. But basically, when you write, when you wipe, when you format a hard drive, it's not removing the files. It's just removing the instructions on how to find them, and so the system doesn't see them. But if someone's smart enough, they can go in there and not use those instructions and still see the files. So you do want to clear your personal information. Let's see. Oh good question. Is it healthy having all these RF transmitting antennas in your home? That is a very good question, something I struggle with all the time, and I do not have a good answer to that. So it's one of the reasons why I'm not such a big fan of the Apple Watch with the LT I'm a fan of it, but I worry about it because it's another thing that's just radiating into my body. But I have no good date on it. All right, three two three? You're on with Rich? Who am I speaking with? Ope? Did I lose you? Three two three? Oh? Hold on, let me see something here, let's see. Oh you know you're there? Okay, I don't hear you. Okay, well we're gonna drop you. Let's see. Okay, Um, there you go. Okay, all right, guys, thanks so much. That's gonna do it for the show. I appreciate you listening. So if you're not a subscriber to the podcast, Go to richon tech dot tv and subscribe to the podcast. You can do that. I've got a new service, so I'm putting out a daily podcast every day of about five minutes. That just gives you something interesting to listen to every day, and then on the weekends, I'm putting out this show. So if you're listening to it right now through the podcast, thank you so much. I'd appreciate it if you tell your friends, take a screenshot of the player on your phone and tweet it out or put it on Facebook or whatever, and just say that you love listening to rich on Tech. Trying to spread the word. You know about me but not everyone does. And if you want to subscribe to the podcast, all you have to do is go to your podcast app on your iPhone or Android and search rich on Tech, hit that subscribe button, and every time I do a new show, it will come through and you can listen to it and it's always a lot of fun. All right, that's gonna do it for the podcast. Thanks so much for listening. I'm rich Jimiro rich on tech dot TV. Have a fantastic day. I'll talk to you next time.