Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys AFT. Now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got three and we have a quorum here on Wednesday ten am at the Star on Dallascowboys dot Com, which on Monday we would not have had a quorum because there would only been two of us. So we took liberties thanks to producer Supreme Chris, to move to ten o'clock on Wednesday. And so it seems like forever since we've had a mix shots, and so much has taken place.
Speaker 3: So much, way too much.
Speaker 2: It seems like every day. As a matter of fact, just to give you an idea of how things happened, I left here at three forty yesterday afternoon. By time I got home, it got reported that Jonathan Hankins had agreed to deal with Seattle. Yeah, wow, so we've got let's see Leyton vander Ash failing physical released and then announced his retirement, which was really no surprise. Over the last I guess nine days since we've had a show, We've had Michael Gallup released, We've had Tyron Smith sign with the New York Jets. The Cowboys re signed Jordan Lewis, Dak Prescott restructured the restructure bonus on his deal. Did Eric Kendrick sign after our last show, I believe, which would be one of the Cowboys big free agent pickups we've had. The coaching staff officially announced. There has been so much going on this first week and a half of free agency, it's hard to keep up with everything. But we will try here the best we can to cover everything that's going on here since the start of free agency on March thirteenth. What's the day, the twenty first day, the twenty first day of spring? Is that what we're supposed to yesterday? Yesterday? Okay? So and you miss what was that?
Speaker 3: We have a we have a starting run back.
Speaker 2: So that gives the Cowboys under contract I think four running backs at this point.
Speaker 3: Four we have four four so.
Speaker 2: Elik Davis, Hunter Lepke, and rico'donald. What more do you need?
Speaker 3: Man? I need more?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what. Okay, So for what Tony Pollard signed for the Cowboys, weren't going to do that at this point. It's rico'dondal it is, I would imagine, and went where to Tennessee.
Speaker 4: Titans three year deal?
Speaker 2: Who rather has back home?
Speaker 4: Basically right well, because he's from Memphis.
Speaker 2: About three hour drive from Memphis, they would rather have Rico, I mean Tony Pollard instead of Derrick Henry. Who that's saying something when to Baltimore by the way, So anyway, let's start here. You guys, tell me give me a surprise in all this that we mentioned that took place since the start of free agency, what surprised you the most.
Speaker 4: I think this has just been a crazy time with free agency, and it's been I feel like a little uneasy as far as how the Cowboys have done everything, and so I think there's a lot of frustration within the fan base right now, and you know, there's still a lot of time left. But I think some of the big ones that stood out to me was Tyler Biattish and Tyrone Smith because I'm really looking at that offensive line and now you have a lot of really big decisions that you have to make as far as the guys that you do have left out there.
Speaker 5: Everson, I think Yiddish more than Tyler Tyron Smith. Beyondis more. I was very surprised that we lost our center. Uh we've had problems trying to figure out, you know, who was going to replace him when he was injured back in training camp. Uh we we tried what Tyler Smith?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 3: We try Tyler Smith at center?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: No, who we trying?
Speaker 5: But there was another I can't I know, we tried another guy center that you know, he's probably not even here now.
Speaker 3: But you know these are guys that failed.
Speaker 5: I thought miserably to replace Beyondish and now we have no replacement for Beyondish at all, do we?
Speaker 2: Well? Today it would be brock Kaffman. If they had to start a game, which, by the way, a couple of times that he had to play, he played decently.
Speaker 5: I love your optimistic voice when you start.
Speaker 4: We got wet.
Speaker 2: They have to play a game tomorrow it would be broadcasts.
Speaker 5: So well, what do you I mean you got to give me more on that man? I mean it block worth it. I mean when I say worth it, I mean is he a capable backup? Well?
Speaker 3: He was star.
Speaker 2: He was, and now we'll see if he gets the opportunity. But again, free agency is not over with UH, and there is a draft and you can make trades, so they're still.
Speaker 3: You think we picked up a starting center in the.
Speaker 2: Draft, a starting center draft, but maybe somebody to UH, somebody to compete for the job. But the thing I think, first of all, we have to remember that they've got maybe seven million dollars under the cap. Now after they UH restructured Dak Prescott's restructure bonus, they picked up four a million, but that basically went to signing Eric Kendricks, whose salary cap HiT's going to be one year, three million dollars, So they have four left. So they've got a little bit left, but not much, not enough to say, oh, let's go make a splash. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 3: Were you surprised about Tyran's contract?
Speaker 2: Okay, with the Jets, very surprised because what the fine print didn't get pointed out because it got reported initially one year six point five million with incentives that can get it to twenty million.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: But here's the part that got the Cowboys. It was like a poison pill. So he's got I don't know if everybody can see this. I've got a list here of all his incentives. Okay, you got it? Yeah, okay, So you see playing time incentive tier one, and if he plays sixty eight percent of the snaps, he would make five point seventy five million dollars. Wow, okay, but guess what last year he played seventy one point five percent of the snaps. So those incentives right there are likely to be earned. So his cap hit for this year right now is twelve point two five million one year go figure. So the Cowboys could not match. They didn't even come close to having that much salary cap room. So what the deal is, if you give a guy incentives that he earned last year, then that counts against your cap hit for this year. If he doesn't achieve it, then you get a rebate next year. Oh okay, okay, But they've got to assume that since he played seventy one and a half percent of the snaps last year, that he will at least get to sixty eight percent this year.
Speaker 5: So they're looking good as far as as far as their salary cap numbers of concerns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had a lot. I think even after this they had like twelve seventeen million dollars. That's a good deal, that's fit for Tyrant and the Jets, and that's why they were able to also sign Williams, the wide receiver from the Chargers. So so again, and then if you look at tier two of those incentives, it goes it starts at seventy four percent, So those aren't likely to be earned because he didn't earn him last year. Okay. Also it went from seventy four percent for another one point twenty five million all the way up to ninety eight percent for six point two five million.
Speaker 3: So that's no, he's not doing that, right, I mean, come on.
Speaker 2: You would think, right, But again last year seventy one seventy one point five percent. He played the majority of the games, and by the way, in the play in the playoff game, I forgot about this. The offense ninety five snaps in the loss to Green Bay. Yeah, he played every one of them. That is something, and so did be Hodish, by.
Speaker 5: The way, And to me, that that leads me to the fact that losing Tyres Smith, to me, that is a heartbreaker simply because of what he brought to this organization. Right, you know we were talking about now is numbers because this is what the segment is we're talking about, you know, the.
Speaker 3: Movement that was made.
Speaker 5: But when you just think about what Tyren Smith brought to this organization and played well and played extremely well last year considering all the injuries that he had been through, and to suck it up at what how old is he now?
Speaker 2: He'll be he's thirty three. He'll be thirty four on December.
Speaker 5: Twelfth, and that's an old thirty four because he's been through it, right, and he gave it all.
Speaker 3: He gave it all to the castle. You gotta give the man some love.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: Regards to how much we're gonna miss him his professionalism, Uh, he gave no one any issues around here at all. I can't remember him even hearing of him raising his voice to anyone, right, you know, he's always been that guy that showed class, his good such.
Speaker 4: A stand up.
Speaker 2: That's the longest if we've verbalized we.
Speaker 4: Got to show ever since I haven't pulled up.
Speaker 2: It's the longest he would have spoken in thirteen years combined.
Speaker 4: Wow, honestly, that's very true.
Speaker 2: And am I right?
Speaker 4: Yes, you are right, because.
Speaker 2: Even the guys on the offensive line, no, when they talk to tyrant if they get a grunt. That's right, that's a good glow.
Speaker 4: Like when I think about it too, like look at the other young guys that he was playing on the line with, Like he was also such a leader in a way, and that's exactly that's a miss that we won't have necessarily on that line right now.
Speaker 3: So this is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: My next question to you about this is do you go in search of a offensive left tackle or do you move Tyler Smith to left tackle and then fill in at guard. What would be your preference?
Speaker 3: That was very cool, That was very cool. My preference again, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Tyler Smith, move him to left tackle and then find a guard because finding a guard is probably a little easier than finding a left tackle.
Speaker 3: Now, you got to put him out of tackle. You have to put him out of tackle.
Speaker 5: See that's my you just you just have to because that's where the experience is obviously the most important position on the offensive line, covering your quarterback's backside. So yeah, I would have to say you put the most experience an athletic person if even if he's playing guard right now, you have to pay move him out to tackle and.
Speaker 3: He's done it.
Speaker 2: Before, and that's what he was before they moved him to guard.
Speaker 3: No, no, he was a guard. And then so he was he was drafted. What was he drafted?
Speaker 2: It was he was a tackle. He was a tackle, but they thought that they can move him.
Speaker 3: I thought he got to the guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he was. He was a tackle at college. You want him to be a guard just because you wanted a guard drafted in the first round. Don't message no, man, this is true.
Speaker 5: It's a fact. But Spagnola always kind of.
Speaker 2: Got to be right right right. So then at guard you you would have t J. Bass if they had to play tomorrow. To me, finding a guard should be easier than a left tackle. The left tackle positions pretty important. And this is a way when you don't have a whole bunch of salary cap money available to very inexpensively fill the left tackle spot.
Speaker 5: Have you been out there enough as far as your knowledge is concerned, do you know if there are any guards out there for trade or veteran guards out there that are unsigned.
Speaker 2: I have not seen of any quality. Now, let's put it this way. The market value. I saw a couple guards get re signed for sixteen to eighteen million a year.
Speaker 3: Wow, a guard A guard?
Speaker 5: Now, see you've been talking trans about guards, not look at the value of guards.
Speaker 3: Now. See I was ahead of the.
Speaker 2: Game market and the tackles. The tackles not for incentives, for real money twenty millionaires. So Tyran and his agent saw what the market value was at the tackle position and it was like, well, we want some of that because last year he took a little bit of a pay cut to restructure his contract and because of that, he still this year will count six million dollars against the Cowboys in dead money. So that's got to be I would think decision number one what they do at left tackle and then guard and center? Right? Yeah? Do that? Do they trust brock Kaufman to be able to step in and be a starter, and these decisions that they have to make. I wrote about it on Friday. They got to be right. And they've got so many to make to fill in at different spots.
Speaker 5: Now, lets you know how important last year was in regards to the success of this team, because this was the moment where we had everything in place last year for the playoffs. Our offensive line was just where we wanted to be. Everyone was in place. This is the moment. This is when we're going to go forward with the leadership of Dak Prescott. And when that didn't work, it seems like now it's kind of blowing up.
Speaker 4: It's like unraveling a little bit. Is how it feels, definitely, And.
Speaker 2: What they've done to keep it together last year and somewhat this year is putting restructure bonus into voided years like next year. Right now, if nothing changed, they'd be forty million over the cap because of voided years. There would be dead money that they have to account for. So you're right, And when you had that many Pro bowlers, right, you had the guy that finished what second in the Most Valuable Player voting that you had the top wide receiver that led the league, you had the guy that finished second for Defensive Player of the Year. You had all this quality and you flamed out in the And now this is when you're paying the penalty right now because they still have work to do. Uh.
Speaker 5: Most most teams that that set it up the way that Cowboys did last year.
Speaker 3: Like say the Rams.
Speaker 5: This reminds me of the Rams when they went to the Super Bowl, right, they succeeded, but then they Now the Cowboys are paying the price without having the prize, without gaining the prize exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's the biggest penalty of the loss. The loss is the laws. But it was.
Speaker 3: Now you're still losing.
Speaker 2: Because you needed to because let's face it, this this you know thing about all in. They were all in.
Speaker 3: They were all in last year, right, that's true.
Speaker 2: That is the trade.
Speaker 5: Cannot you cannot deny that. No one can say that that's not true.
Speaker 2: And the trades worked well. Now, so yeah, this is one of the big decisions they've got to make. Uh, and then neck and then center. So those two things.
Speaker 5: This is just right now we're just talking offense.
Speaker 4: And we haven't even got to running back yet.
Speaker 2: And running back we we mentioned it right yea, the signing of ric O'Donnell. But you know he's only guaranteed one point to cap hit. He's guaranteed two hundred thousand. So that kind of tells you that, yeah, we like you, but we didn't over extend ourselves to pay you, and they really didn't have money to do it. Now. The other thing that they did on offense is they released Michael Gallup, making him a June one release, and there's you know, ramifications for that. Everybody is always quick to point out that he would have had a thirteen point eight million dollar cap hit for this year. They will save his base which is eight point five million, so they'll get that back, but not until June second. So that's almost like a savings account to pay for your draft, all right, But what nobody wants to tell you is by releasing him, they will incur thirteen point zero five million in dead money. So he will he will cost them in dead money this year five point three million.
Speaker 5: I keep I keep having this Amari Cooper in my ear right, like this.
Speaker 3: Somewhere in my ear going, hey, I told you so.
Speaker 2: And then and then in twenty twenty five he'll count eight million in dead money. Damn, it never goes away, right, the guaranteed money restructure, bonus money. At some point you got to pay the piper.
Speaker 3: You can't just kick the can down the road.
Speaker 2: Now, it's only so far you can kick it, right, and then it's like, oh, we got to absorb this, right, So now your third wide receiver, and knowing Brandon Cooks is on the last year of his contract, Tony, we think Jalen Tobert, you know, he kind of stepped up. He did, but again, what if you have an injury and then the other guy would have.
Speaker 4: Been Brooks Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 2: He I mean he was interesting, right.
Speaker 4: He made cashes last year.
Speaker 2: When when he was then, So now that's your third and I'm thinking if your biggest worries your third receiver, he probably got other things to worry about. But it's the dead money that no one likes to point out that you've got to account for. And that's eight that's eight million next year. Uh So I think they tried to maybe renegotiate that deal. Agents aren't going to do that. They'll take their chance and free agency and see what happens. He how many he had a he had a visit I who had uh gallup Miami. It was some someone at a decent team.
Speaker 3: I hope he goes where they I'm sure. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've I don't know what's going on with his knee, right, and how how well it's going to be next year. Sometimes the second year removed is the year when you really show what you can do, which is sure what he's hoping, but he might want to do it on the grass field, right.
Speaker 3: He might be thinking about that. I don't know, I'll be thinking that.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking, okay, well to put myself in the best situation, go to a place where I can play at home on grass at least game at least eight games.
Speaker 4: He is scheduled to meet with the Carolina Panthers Anthers sometime this week.
Speaker 2: All right, so, so yeah, that's offensively now they I mean, you're talking about one of the best offenses last year in the league and.
Speaker 5: You're being dismantled at this point, your center, you're running back, running back, and.
Speaker 2: Your wife who by the way, you know he didn't play that much well in the in the playoff game. He he ended up playing.
Speaker 4: You're talking about Michael Gallups.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was the six percent of the snaps.
Speaker 4: He was honestly one of the standouts in that game.
Speaker 2: He was right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, that's a lot to phill.
Speaker 2: Not to mention your backup left tackle. What do you got? You know you're gonna look at, well, let's go Josh Ball who they moved to guard. I can't imagine, and they'll resign a doga. I just think you can.
Speaker 5: So is Josh Ball? Do you think he's a good replacement? Will Tylers Smith, I would.
Speaker 2: Say at guard. Yeah, I think t J. Bass might have the upper hand there. Really, yeah, because he ended up playing a couple of games. You didn't notice. That's like, oh, t J basses right.
Speaker 4: So Josh Ball didn't. He can't play it all on.
Speaker 2: No, he did not, and well let's go h I don't believe either.
Speaker 4: So I think they activated him at one point, but that was it.
Speaker 2: They activated him to practice I think from the injured Yeah, I are. So that's kind of where they are on offense. And when we continue on mixshots, we'll pay attention to the defense. Here at Dallas. On Dallas Cowboys dot.
Speaker 7: Com, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: And they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escaped left. He'll full a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 3: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader. They've got you covered. What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 6: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 8: Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang.
Speaker 6: Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice coold koola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 4: Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot com.
Speaker 9: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more, or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's a ARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 2: Demict shuts.
Speaker 4: Kpost Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. That you guys have a very special listener who is recovering at home from a double knee surgery.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, who are you talking about?
Speaker 7: This?
Speaker 4: In Frisco?
Speaker 5: Late in Frisco, one of our most most dire listeners.
Speaker 3: This is so cool.
Speaker 4: If you can hear us, Nate, we wish you a very d recovery.
Speaker 3: Recovering my brother double knee replacement. Now he won't be limping around here.
Speaker 2: That's right, He'll be zipping up and down the starts right use the elevator.
Speaker 5: He might even lose even more weight, you know, right, he might be even skinnier around here.
Speaker 2: He's gonna have to do his rehab, right, all right, Nate, We'll make sure.
Speaker 5: You who's the guy doesn't rehab around here for the players. Britt Brown Brown, BRIT's gonna get with Nate. He's gonna have Nate after running sprints and the stairs that he's.
Speaker 2: Gonna tell Nate, now you can run those one tens.
Speaker 3: Bring Jimmy Johnson, bag Jimmy to.
Speaker 2: Get him going. Right. Well, good luck with all that.
Speaker 3: Good luck Nate.
Speaker 4: Around here.
Speaker 2: And yeah, man, all right, so we briefly mentioned, uh, Kendrick's getting signed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Well, he did a U turn because he was agreed to with San Francisco and then they he decided that the Cowboys were going to give him an opportunity to play middle linebacker and he could rejoin Mike Zimmer, who he played seven years for with the Vikings. The other thing I noticed in his career, he's played eight seasons. Seven of those he had more than one hundred tackles, and the one season he didn't, he had ninety two and I believe it was his rookie year. So he's been pretty productive. They obviously needed a linebacker, and it's a kind of bittersweet thing. For Leyton Vanderish releasing him failed physical, which just was a procedure matter, and then what a few days later he announced his retirement, which.
Speaker 4: I felt like that was going to come.
Speaker 3: I mean he felt like that too, right Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think so he knew, and it's kind of a sad thing, but it's a good thing, right for his quality of life going forward, not to roll the dice on suffering another neck injury, especially after having the fusion surgery back in I believe it was twenty nineteen, twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: It was amazing he came back from that, right yeah.
Speaker 2: And when he was healthy, he played well, and then he got back and the first thing he did the opener, he suffered a fractured clavicle. Missed the four games that year and two at the end of the season.
Speaker 4: Tough for him.
Speaker 2: They did pick up his fifth year option. They did sign him these last two years to a two year deal with guarantees, which, by the way, so they picked up two point one four million in cap space, but he will also cost him two point twenty five million in dead money for guarantees he had, So it's kind of a wash. But I mean, he played six seasons your sixth season would have been eighty seven, eighty eight, eighty six, eighty six. Right, Yeah, can you imagine having to say.
Speaker 5: I would not I could not now, especially when but you know, it depends on the journey to get there, you know, it depends on how how how do I feel at night? You know, it might be a blessing to let this game go if I'm having the kind of injuries that you're talking about, I have, I feel bad now and I just you know, ran into a couple of people. I mean, this guy's had surgery, so you could just imagine what he feels at night when you're trying to roll over on your pillow. You know, it's the comfort zone there probably doesn't even exist anywhere for him, probably for the rest.
Speaker 3: Of his life.
Speaker 2: And then he suffered the stinger this year.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, and that didn't help.
Speaker 2: That has to make you think about your football Come on, well, not even football mortality, your mortality. Married just had a child. And he also put out a long statement really heartfelt.
Speaker 4: It was very Yeah, reading that through, you get so much emotion just from reading it because he it was his lifelong dream to play for the Cowboys and then being able to retire and say I'm retiring as a cowboy. It just came full circle for him and he credited his wife, his family, just so many people, the Jones family, just for all his success and it was just a stand up.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time, I'm I don't know if I should say met him, but ran into him. So he was in the twenty eighteen draft class. The twenty eighteen draft was at at and T Stadium, So a couple of days before the draft, they had some of the guys that were here to be in the green room, the first projected first round guys, and they had to workout. They did a thing with middle school kids, and I'm watching this guy work out and I knew who he was just from looking at the draft. And I looked at him and I go, I want that guy. You know the size, oh huge, Yeah, the speed.
Speaker 3: He is tall, He's way taller than he looks on it.
Speaker 2: And then and then yeah, is that you Damn.
Speaker 3: I had to look up.
Speaker 2: And I listened to the kind of group interview he'd and I'm like, I want that guy on my team. And sure enough, they ended up drafting him in the first round and gave him a really good linebacker number fifty five. It just looks right ye linebacker and played well his first year. He went to the Pro Bowl and was the first Cowboys rookie linebacker to go to the Pro Bowl in history. And I just thought he was not only valuable as a player, but in the locker room, on the field as a leader.
Speaker 4: That was one of my biggest points last week is you're, yes, we have Eric Kendricks who has been playing as a vet in the league for many, many years, and we'll probably fill more of that leadership role. But Leyton vander Rush was the guy out.
Speaker 2: There, and and if you look at this defense, it's pretty young. They don't have a lot of experience other than you know, if you look at DeMarcus Lawrence. But after that, we're talking a whole bunch of young guys. So Eric Kendricks kind of lessens the pain of losing Leyton Vanderish. But it's a shame, but I think it was a good thing for him to do what he needed to do. So and then we had the exodus at defensive end on defense, dan Quinn taking Dorince Armstrong and Dante Foller with them to Washington and what people need to remember is Washington started free agency ninety six million dollars under the salary cap.
Speaker 3: Wow, they were one of the highest.
Speaker 2: They were the highest. Yeah, and so think about it. They they can make a mistake and it's like spitting in the ocean, right, it really doesn't matter. So and I remember when Stephen Jones spoke. It must have been at the Senior Bowl and someone asked them the question of well, the salary cap just went up to two hundred and fifty five point four million. That's got to really make you happy. And he goes, well, it did, but there's a downside to it. That means other teams are going to have more money to spend. And he didn't say carelessly, but kind of freely, right, And that's what happened. Washington starts signing. They must have done like twelve things already because they've got the money.
Speaker 4: They're stacked right now.
Speaker 3: So Armstrong, those are two quality players.
Speaker 2: We just set seven and a half sacks last year. He was second in sacks the past two seasons, so it was sixteen sacks, not.
Speaker 3: To mention the blocked field goals and extra points.
Speaker 2: And he was able to sign a deal for three years thirty three million, with a fifteen million dollars signing bonus, so that signing bonus is probably more than he made in four years.
Speaker 3: He yeah, because he played well. Absolutely, he played well here.
Speaker 5: He did many things that you know, Like I said, the special teams effort that he gave for us was amazing and unexpected by.
Speaker 3: The way, so and Dante foulon.
Speaker 2: So he ended up getting guaranteed sixteen point one million.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's a good movie.
Speaker 2: That's a good I mean, you can't turn that.
Speaker 3: You couldn't match it.
Speaker 2: He did well, you couldn't match it because you know, with the with the guarantees.
Speaker 3: Where's he from.
Speaker 2: He went to college at Kansas. That's his only downfall. Shots we trade We traded Missouri Kansas Stone basically. Uh but yeah, that one, Uh, that one hurts. And then.
Speaker 3: Washington he also signed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, another one year deal. So but again, everybody's gonna whind the Cowboys do something. Well, they didn't have anything to do it with. That was the problem. Uh. And even though they restructured Zach Martin's deal, which again pushed signing bonus money into voided years, that only got them under the cap because they were over uh, so they had to do that to get under.
Speaker 5: So the main reason is basically Dak's contract is the reason that they right.
Speaker 2: And see, they could have restructured his base salary which is twenty nine million, and they chose not to. He had a restructure bonus due of five million, so they basically paid him the five million and then they spread it out one million this year and then three years avoided contracts that he has, they've spread that into their So they kind of did a little bit of a band aid. But they say they're still working on an extension, which would be huge to open up.
Speaker 3: More capital.
Speaker 2: Right, because when they give a guy an extension and they pay him signing bonus to do it so they can spread it over the life of the contract, his twenty nine million dollar base salary will end up being like one point two million.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean this has to be done obviously, because we haven't even signed the guys that we have that have free agent contracts coming up right, existing contracts. I'm sorry, like ceedee lamb, Right.
Speaker 2: Well, he's he's under for seventeen point nine million. Okay, that's his fifty year option.
Speaker 3: Diggs.
Speaker 2: Diggs has already done last years. Parsons. They got to pick up his fifty year option for next year, which will be twenty one million, because they did it as a defensive end. Believe it or not, the fifth year option for linebacker or defensive end. The defensive end was less money than the linebacker spot. Linebacker would have been twenty four million. So they would like to sign him to an extension, but you got to be able to however you do it, take care of this year, this year, and then next year. You know they're going to be so far over the cap.
Speaker 3: So Parson's he's.
Speaker 2: He's in his last year. He's got one more.
Speaker 3: I know he's gonna go.
Speaker 2: He's got one more year.
Speaker 3: He's going to be a linebacker.
Speaker 5: When it comes time to negotiation, well that won't be a defensive end.
Speaker 2: That'll be determined on what Mike Zimmer decides to kind of do with him. Which I just saw the clock, and before we go down that rabbit hole with the coaching staff, we better take our final break here on nickshots.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces. Since the Civil War, fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: By Football and Miller Lite, What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going waypast postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Clue America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 3: Miller Lite the.
Speaker 10: Only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time. Celebrate Responsibly, twenty twenty three, Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 9: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org. Slash Beat Scammers TX. You can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash beat scammers TX.
Speaker 6: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping a cool PETSI finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like. Shuts enjoy excellent dining, boutique shopping, and exciting events in the Star District in Frisco, featuring dozens of North Texas best restaurants and shops, plus a calendar full of family friendly events. There's always something to do, shop, dine at the starts. Visit the startust dot com for more info.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue here the last few minutes on mix shots, the Cowboys officially announced their coaching staff and all the positions, and I thought the most significant move was not only retaining al Harris as their defensive backs coach, but the promotion voted to assist well deserved because guess who wanted Al Harris?
Speaker 3: Everybody Quinn.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, the commanders, if you ever heard of Dan Quinn answer her question about al Harris. Uh, he thought al Harris was the bomb. And just think what he's done developing Trayvon Diggs Deron Bland. And by the way, I don't know if I mentioned it, but the Cowboys did resign Jordan Lewis to uh base salary of two point sixty six million, got one hundred and sixty seven one thousand dollars signing bonus. But this was a new one to me. There was a rule for a four year player contract provision where while you sign them to the minimum or the maximum base, I'm sorry signing bonus and it's two point sixty six million dollar base. He only counts one point three to seven against the cap. So they used that to save cap space and gave Jordan Lewis money to Babel to sign them to that one year deal. And then the other thing I noticed on the on the coaching staff was Robert Trinch, the wide receiver coach, became the pass game coordinator, so they gave a few guys upgraded titles to move along now, mentioning defense and the cornerback position with Lewis at least, now you have three veteran guys to play cornerback, although one's coming off is torn acl Trayvon Diggs. You got Duran Bland you can play outside, and then Jordan Lewis in the slot. I'm sure they would like to be able to do something with Stefan Gilmour, who's still out there by the way, but again, you got to have money under the cap to be able to do that. And then the elephant in the room, so to speak, is Jonathan Hankins. If indeed at three d and twenty pounds he signs with Seattle, boy Mozzy Smith got to be a player this year.
Speaker 4: He is the guy.
Speaker 5: If that, I'm sure they've had a conversation with him already, right, Yeah, let him know what they want from him.
Speaker 2: And I would imagine we're going to find out what sort of confidence they have in him by what they do going forward in free agency, slash trade or the draft, Because really a defensive tackle it's Osa O'degiezua.
Speaker 4: I really like Osa, yeah, and they're good there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then it's Mazi. They re signed Carl Davis who had been on the practice squad and they promoted him I think at some point to the fifty three. But Chauncey Golston and that's really it at defensive tackle. So they're going to have to do something there. Also, you know, we keep saying, well the draft, well, you can only do so much in the draft, right, and there's no guarantee that I take this position, this position, this position, and I hit on all three. So that's got to be a position of somewhat concern, especially since their inability to stop the run last year. And you know, in the playoff game, even though Hankins ended up playing sixty percent of the snaps, they still gave up one hundred and forty three yards rushing and touchdowns. Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking about that Buffalo game, Miami Green Bay.
Speaker 3: The Buffalo game hurt. That was the beginning of pain.
Speaker 4: Arizona.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was the beginning of pain though, that Buffalo game. Yeah, it was almost like we went troubled after.
Speaker 2: That Arizona game. Well, it was one of those things, right right. But the Buffalo Buffalo game, that's when.
Speaker 4: We were a little bit more exposed as far as.
Speaker 3: And that to me, that was the beginning of the end right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you played a credible team and you.
Speaker 3: Did not compete and you needed that game.
Speaker 2: Right Yeah. And then Miami same thing. They did somewhat better against Detroit, eked out of victory.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so and with with that, you know, either we didn't have the personnel to begin with, or we resorted to and or we resorted to a scheme that was not going.
Speaker 3: To be winnable.
Speaker 2: Right. And they were short on linebackers, Okay, why though? Well they did. They had two things happen. They were counting on overshown the draft choice from Texas tears As ACL and camp. And then they were counting on Layton and he gets hurt after five games. Uh, And they were short at linebacker. They tried with Evans that didn't work well. And there was a precursor to that because it didn't work for five days with Philadelphia in training camp.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Uh So, uh, short on linebackers and teams took advantage of it. And we talked about it after the Super Bowl when Michah Parsons interviewed Jordan Love and he basically said, yeah, we ran on you last year and we looked and you had a safety playing linebacker. Yeah, so we're going to run on And then they came up a cornerback short when Gilmore shoulder. Yeah, and they tried to play him with a harness on and play zone and they failed miserably playing the zone.
Speaker 3: Aarones is out there running back?
Speaker 2: Yes, No, I thought he Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Minnesota thought after they got.
Speaker 4: Aj Dillon, Yeah, I think I think he's still on the market.
Speaker 3: Now, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: That's a guy I thought he maybe I saw a visit with him. The running back market dried up pretty quickly, but everybody was playing hopscotch, like, all right, you're out. I'll take your guy that you released. Somebody's gonna take my guy that I released.
Speaker 4: Uh, and disregard he's going to stay in Green Bay.
Speaker 2: So cornerback is another position because you've got Now you're in the same position, right, you got three guys you trust, you need another one. And if they can create some money. Now, everybody says, well, why don't they sign this guy or this guy. Well, it takes two to tangle. And these agents know the Cowboys are over a barrel and they're probably sitting there going, Okay, we're gonna up the annie because you're desperate to get this done.
Speaker 3: But they also know that we don't have the money.
Speaker 2: But they don't care about that that part. They don't.
Speaker 5: If I was an agent trying to push him off from the Cowboys, I'm like, hey man, they don't have the money. Let's go somewhere else, right, they don't have enough money.
Speaker 2: For what when you're trying to redo guys you already have under contract. They they they've got the upper that's the guys.
Speaker 3: Just understand. Those guys agents understand.
Speaker 2: Because they know you're desperate to be able to do something.
Speaker 4: And let me just remind everybody. We have four remaining guys that are free agents. It's Stefan Gilmore, Jay Ron Curse, Chuma Adoga and Sean McKeon. Out of the sixteen well as sixteen, we have four and I believe it.
Speaker 2: Is let me double check, twelve guys have already.
Speaker 4: We have re signed Jordan Lewis, our long snapper, Trent Sing.
Speaker 2: By the way, we should not actually like because you know why they got that done so fast. There were other teams after.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good stuff. That did not fly over my head. No, that's a good sign.
Speaker 4: Those three Brian Anger, Brandon Aubrey and Trent See that is.
Speaker 3: You want to keep those guys. You want to keep those guys in the house.
Speaker 4: Those are the the avengers.
Speaker 5: I bet they're the ones always sitting back drinking coffee looking at everybody else.
Speaker 3: With their pinky fingers up. We all, we're in good shape over here.
Speaker 4: We also resigned C. J. Goodwin.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Good ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's it.
Speaker 4: Right, that's it for now.
Speaker 2: The guys departed, and.
Speaker 4: Well and and Ricodole and I think.
Speaker 2: We've used up our time.
Speaker 3: Yes we have.
Speaker 2: We cover it all.
Speaker 3: We came close, we did, We covered enough. We covered enough.
Speaker 2: So well, we should be back at eleven a m On Monday if all go as well. And maybe maybe Bill can tear himself up away from baseball.
Speaker 4: Bell coming back. Maybe maybe Nate can uh recovered wheel.
Speaker 5: He's gonna come back when he comes back from rehab.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, I appreciate you guys joining us here on mix shots.
Speaker 3: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.