Speaker 1: What do you think the lighting in here?
Speaker 2: I have notes.
Speaker 1: You want to tinker, don't you? Yeah, every party you wants to tinker. Pashash Welcome to Tosh Show. I am your host, Daniel Tosh, and with me is Eddie Gosling. Eddie, Hello, Daniel Tosh, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good to have you. I don't want to start uh this podcast with a fart joke, but here goes all right. My son the other day was running and I was chasing him, and while I was chasing him, he farted. He gets excited sometimes and it comes out. It doesn't matter. By the way, my son can't fart without my wife's screaming, go to the bathroom. You need to go to the bathroom. I'm like, and I'm always like, one doesn't mean the other. I agree with you. She's like, no, no, if you'r farting, you have to go poop. I'm like, okay, anyway, sorry about that. So he farts and then he said we're laughing about it because because he's a kid. He's a five year old. Five year olds are allowed to laugh at farts. I know, fifty year olds are allowed to laugh at farts anyway. He says to me, Hey, Dad, do you think that while I was running when I farted that the fart made me run faster? And then before I even got to say anything, my wife just chimes in, yes, that's your noss button. I'm like, well, they don't even need me anymore for comedy. But both of them got it all figured out. I thought it was the funniest exchange ever. I just sat there and I was like, well, you guys did it. That's hysterical. He's running farting, says does that make me go faster? And she said, gets your noss button? You don't. You don't want to press it too soon in a race. Perfect, pretty good stuff. All right, What are we doing today, Eddie? Dear to Show? This is quickly becoming one of my favorite segments. Dear TOAs Show is where I take a question or a thought from one of our subscribers, or a family member or someone that I just randomly heard on the street, and I solve their problems. All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: People that listen to music watch videos? Are you speakerphone without using headphones around other people? How do you solve that problem?
Speaker 1: Thank you, Alan, Alan. That is a real problem, and I have a real solution that's also fun for almost everyone within earshot. Okay, it's very simple. I just stand up, walk as close as you can to them, and pretend you have Tourette's shit. Fuck pussy cut shit, fuck cut pussy, and throw on a twitch hit pussy chit, pussy pussy, pussy chit. Okay, they're going to wrap up a call the call no one. No one's explaining that on a business conversation. That's immediately that they're gonna quickly oh oh shoot.
Speaker 3: Hey, I gotta go. I'll call you back.
Speaker 1: And then if they approach you like, what's wrong, man, what are you doing? I have tretts. This is a disease. Imagine shit shit Mexicans treats is fine if it's just swear words, it's it's when the racist term start flying, you're like, oh, okay, this guy's gonna get himself beat up or elected president. Hey, all right, speaking of big orange orangutangs. Uh did you see the New Planet of the Eighth movie?
Speaker 3: I did not see it.
Speaker 1: By the way, new is relative. I think it's a few years old. Whatever the latest one. Now I loved the semi new installment of the trilogy that they did. I thought that was Those were great with Caesar, but I recently watched the new one, which is set many general into the future, and and the monkeys have won and the humans don't talk anymore, okay, whatever that here, I just want to get to that.
Speaker 3: Hey, I could listen to you talk about movies like this. The monkeys have won.
Speaker 1: The monkeys won there there the the top of the pecking order. Although that and there was a disease or something that went around and people can't talk, all right, whatever, and monkeys talk, but there's no they have figured out a lot of shit. Who cares about the movie? This is This was my problem with the movie, and possibly uh a problem with Hollywood in general. That you might not think that I have this take on. But when we let like anyone be a model, not just the pretty people, you get where I'm going this movie. I didn't think the star monkey was attractive. He didn't seem cool. He looked, you know, like little little little doufiss, like a character, like a like an idiot. I don't know, Yeah, he didn't seem like he didn't have the star power that Caesar had Caesar like was such a good looking monkey, Like, holy cow, I would I would follow this monkey. I would have been the first human to fall in line and be like, no, no, this is my king, this is my prophet. But anyway, this new one, I just was like kept looking at this monkey, and I'm like, Hollywood, come on, can you make the star of the movie a little sexier. It was just hard to believe that this would be like the one that everyone would would turn to. He just didn't seem like a leader, and I guess that was kind of part of it, Like, oh, I just feel like he could have got beat up by like a ton of other monkeys. He didn't have. He didn't have that it factor as far as monkeys go. The whole time, I'm just watching this movie going I don't I'm not attracted this monkey in anyway. This isn't a Brad Pitt. This is like, what's his name, who's the guy from the Brutalist Adrian Brody. This is an Adrian Brody. He's won an Oscar. I know, I'm not saying that this monkey is not talented. I'm just saying that he's not He's not like popcorn Yeah, this is the Messiah. This looks like something you come home from the fair with. You know, he looks he looked more like the rally monkey at a Dodgers game where you get the little velcrow hands and you hook it around your head. You know, you know, kind of remind me of what's that TV show with the Sniper Day of the Jackal. That that guy he's like, he's such a He's like a little doufist looking guy. And then his wife in there is just so beautiful and I'm like, oh, man, snipers, get all the hot chicks. I could do this conversation all day though, but I'll tell you one more problem about this monkey movie. Very dark and just not tonally. Just actually I get a night I can't see anything that's going on. You know, Gonna love this talk is today's guest my cameraman. Oh nobody, nobody can bore me more about lighting and talking about film than today's guest. Enjoy Pasha, my guest today lit some of the most beautiful sets you ever saw in Tosh point zero. For over a decade, this man tried to turn my comedy Gold into cinematic art, but unfortunately for him, it was a low budget show when everyone else just wanted to finish and go home. Please welcome my former director of photography and the only member of the crew I wasn't scared to talk to, Andrew.
Speaker 2: Good to see you, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Andrew, thank you for being here. By the way, do I have a good side all sides?
Speaker 2: Eh?
Speaker 1: That is true, Andrew. Do you believe in ghost Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I have a friend who worked on UFO Hunters and the ghost equivalent of it, and he said absolutely, Like ghosts are real, UFOs not so much.
Speaker 1: Oh so, he doesn't believe in any alien life form, but he does believe in ghost.
Speaker 2: This was as of like ten years ago.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well the evidence now, yeah, yeah, no, I would you could? You could maybe get me to go the other direction, but not that way. All right. Did you like growing up in Minnesota?
Speaker 2: Well, Minnesota's a beautiful place.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: But as somebody who was closeted like it was tough.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was always such a blue wall up there. No, I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the blue wall kind of is around parts of like downtown and some of the suburbs.
Speaker 1: But I'm doing two shows in your hometown of Minneapolis. Okay, the Twin Cities. How come we call the Twin Cities? But yet Saint Paul gets no love ever.
Speaker 2: Well, I think in Saint Paul things tend to close earlier. It's more like government cultural, whereas Minneapolis is where, like you know, the stadiums are, It's where the nightclubs are, It's where probably the best restaurants are.
Speaker 1: Where's the big spoon with a cherry on it? I like that?
Speaker 2: That's the Walker Arts Center.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I love seeing that big spoon. Yeah, you ever go walk that, Eddie, I haven't seen the spoon. You've never seen them. See you've gone to Minneapolis for thirty years, I know, and you've never walked by the Big Spoon. No, that is bonkers to me. I got so many photos of me on dates with comedy club waitresses in front of the big Spoon. Big spoon. Ah. By the way, you also lived in Florida, that's right, for two years as a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I grew up in a suburb of Minneapolis called Hedna. I lived there until I was about eleven, and then my dad got transferred for work to Florida. We lived in a suburb of Orlando. Called Lake Mary for a year and a half two years.
Speaker 1: Did you love Orlando area or no?
Speaker 2: It was a culture shock for me, kind of coming from suburban like conservative, you know, Minneapolis suburbs to you know, central Florida.
Speaker 1: When I moved to Florida as a twelve year old, I just I hated it. I grew to love it, but I didn't know that you were supposed to be embarrassed to live there. But immediately when I moved there, though, I hated it, and everyone would ask me. I know, they asked you something similar. They asked you, are you a redneck or a surfer? Those were the two things a white kid could be.
Speaker 2: They always wanted to know if I was a surfer or a skater and answer that was the first question. I remember the first time I heard it. I didn't know how to respond. And so because you liked to roller skate, I'm sure, why would you say that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was a terrible skater. So actually I was just uncoordinated altogether. So I fell into the yearbook like team, you know, I was in the group that wrote the yearbook, that took all the photos.
Speaker 1: And then you put so many photos yourself.
Speaker 2: In there, not many of me. I was behind the camera.
Speaker 1: What was your dad doing at the time? What job was he getting? Transfer around it?
Speaker 2: My dad had his own business. He sold construction materials, so like PBC piping, That's what thing. And what happened was there was a recession in the late eighties that caused his business to shift around a little bit, and so he chased some clients in Florida and then eventually that fizzled away and work went to overseas markets and whatever, and my dad's business kind of like imploded. So things got really tough, and my mom came in and ended up taking care of us.
Speaker 1: By the way, your father recently passed away.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very sorry to hear that. He came out to you when you were eighteen years old. Yeah.
Speaker 2: By this point I knew that I was gay and I wanted to tell my parents about it, but my dad beat me to it, like he sat me down. I didn't see this coming at all.
Speaker 1: I mean, did this shatter your world?
Speaker 2: It kind of pushed me back in the closet in the sense that, like I was just I just didn't know how to respond to it. And it was like there was too many emotions that were coming up. You know, when you're closeted, you compartmentalize it. You learned to hide it, and so I kind of went back into the closet. And then it was two years after that that I came out to them.
Speaker 1: I remember some details that you may have purposely left out. Your dad once came to you before he came out and asked you if you were gay.
Speaker 2: He told me that he asked me that when he came out.
Speaker 1: To me, because he knew his son and had probably a pretty good read. I think he probably he was giving you the easy coming out, and you said, nope, I'm not going to fall for this.
Speaker 2: Because I knew I wasn't fully ready to do it yet. And you couldn't be in the middle. You can't sort of half come out, because that would just create too much skepticism.
Speaker 1: That's bisexuals that half come out.
Speaker 2: No. Well, my dad at the time actually said he was by okay. He said, he says, I'm by. I have a preference towards men. And I was confused by that because that doesn't really define being by. But I just I didn't ask him any more questions about it because I was still processing.
Speaker 1: It looking back on that moment, did you react the way that you wanted to react?
Speaker 2: I mean, in hindsight, I would have I would have come out to him. Then, oh, because why wait?
Speaker 1: Well no, I know I have always felt when any you know, the handful of times I've been fortunate enough for a friend to come out to me, I've always been the only thing that's ever bothered me is like, oh, I hate that you had to like not you know, keep something or that's always the thing that you do. And then when is your parents? That's such a weird thing. Did you like side? I mean, how'd your mom handle this?
Speaker 2: First of all, well, she had already known for some time, several years. I think I think it was difficult for her, but she had she had started to move on. They had already been separated for several years at this point, even though they still had, you know, relationship in the sense that they were taking care of us together.
Speaker 1: And did the relationship get stronger over the years.
Speaker 2: After this between them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean as far as a friendship, did it ever turn back into a.
Speaker 2: Friendship or no, it was a friendship.
Speaker 1: By the way, did your father have many female relationships in his life or no.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I think they met when she was right out of nursing school. You know, they were in their early mid twenties actually, yeah, mid twenties, and and got hitched right away.
Speaker 1: You have twin brothers.
Speaker 2: Twin older brothers and a younger sister.
Speaker 1: And all of them are gay. No, no, no, no. How did they handle this?
Speaker 2: They were accepting of it, my sister even when I came out to her.
Speaker 1: Well, I just I mean, accepting of you seems easy. It was the father one that seems like it'd be the tougher pill to swallow for kids.
Speaker 2: Ye, I mean it would have been more difficult for them not understanding it, you know, not knowing what it's like to live with the secret and how you could have, you know, a life that's that's in a sense, not being totally honest to your your true self.
Speaker 1: I've thought multiple times, how would I react if my father came out to me just because of your situation? And I was like, I am, this really makes sense. I could piece it all together. Where'd you? Where did you come out to them? At? Where were you guys?
Speaker 2: I told my parents I wanted to take them to dinner.
Speaker 1: Both of them together. Yeah, public place?
Speaker 2: No, No, actually my dad's house.
Speaker 1: Okay did it?
Speaker 2: And I just point blank told them because I didn't want.
Speaker 1: Any beginning to the meal. At the end of the meal, it was after the meal, what would you guys eat? I have no idea. You don't remember what you ate that night.
Speaker 2: This was like thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: I don't care. What was your dad's reaction when you actually finally came out to him.
Speaker 2: The first thing he said was I need a drink, but kind of tongue in cheek.
Speaker 1: More like a cocktail. He's like, let's party, kid, No like.
Speaker 2: I think he just appreciated the irony or coincidence of this situation and probably enjoyed that he would have somebody, you know, close that he could relate to.
Speaker 1: Listen. I have always said that I think a gay man would make the best father and husband to a woman.
Speaker 2: When I was I don't know, in my late twenties, he came out to visit and he helped me move into a new apartment in West Hollywood as my first Hollywood apartment. And it was like a Sunday night and we had finished moving and I had some friends over. We ate dinner, and I thought that was going to be the end of it. And as we were I was saying good night to everybody, he turned to me and he said, well, wait, we haven't gone out yet, And so everybody had surprise looks on their face, like they knew about my dad. But he wanted to go out for a night on the town. So we did a bar crawl along Santa Monica Boulevard.
Speaker 1: Rage, Did you go to Rage?
Speaker 2: We didn't go to Rage. We went to Trunks. We went to Mickey's. I think we went by a place called the Normandy Room, which was a lesbian bar back then. He got kicked out of there for trying to smoke inside.
Speaker 1: Damn. He's yeah, the coolest dad in the world. You didn't even know it. Talk about how you know, as a young child you got into wanting to be a cinematographer filming all of it.
Speaker 2: I would say from a very early age, before we had any cameras, I'd walk around the house and I would like make a little frame like I was I was composing shots. Mm hmm. For a while I thought I wanted to be a meteorologist.
Speaker 1: That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I can attribute some of it to admiring the light.
Speaker 1: But I.
Speaker 2: I love thunderstorms, I love snowstorms. I love weather events like I liked the drama of you'd be watching a TV show and there'd be that little baby, the weather call would come at the bottom of the street and an issue, you know, tornado warning. I would also say that I noticed light, Like growing up in Midwest was beautiful. You get four seasons, you know, the light is very dramatic at different different times a day.
Speaker 1: All right, So as a child you were into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I made super eight films. I made like videos with my brothers, Like we got a hold of a camcorder, like a friend's family friend lent us one and so give a high eight. It was a VHS.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's real cool.
Speaker 2: We'd set it up and we you know, discovered quickly that if you put it on a tripod and you start and stop it, you could make like objects move around if you didn't move the camera.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you took your first dick pic? And do you set it up before you take it? Right?
Speaker 3: Light the area?
Speaker 1: Sure filters? You don't have to answer that you went to USC film school. How competitive an environment was that.
Speaker 2: I mean I at the time, I think they said they accept like twenty or thirty applicants out of one or two thousand, So you know, I was surrounded by people who wanted to be writers and directors. There weren't as many people that were, you know, into editing, cinematography, production design.
Speaker 1: Were you super smart? No?
Speaker 2: I wasn't really book smart, but I was. I had drive and I was creative, and you know, it took me five applications to get into the film school, and ultimately I think they were they were looking for somebody who could, you know, express themselves creatively. And I remember I ended up writing a letter in my final application. This was that the last time I was trying to apply to the school before I pursued a different tack. I came out. You know, I described my coming out story to my best friend at the time.
Speaker 1: You played the gay card hard, didn't you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I had been told I had met all these these graduate students who were who were telling me that they wanted to see some kind of personal statement, and I didn't have the you know, I came from you.
Speaker 1: You had a pastern statement. You just didn't want to share it at the moment by the US the crazy expensive Yeah, how did you did you?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: You force the parents just to like deal with it?
Speaker 2: We weren't able to do that, so okay, I got grants, a lot of financial aid and some help from other family members.
Speaker 1: Were you in debt after you graduated? I was, ah, that's good, but you stayed out in LA. Did you ever give up on the dream? And do you care about USC? Sure? Do you go to the football games ever?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Did you ever go to a.
Speaker 2: I have gone to the football games. I went, but the seats at the coliseum were really uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: They're not good. I always liked going. When I went to the coliseum, I was excited because they had like big old sausages that were like chicken based or something. Well, because I can't I don't need beef, so I was always like, oh there was something fun to eat there.
Speaker 2: I don't eat beef. I don't need pork.
Speaker 1: I used to not eat pork, and then I have children.
Speaker 2: But you have a pig, I know, and I kick around it.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't. I don't like go ha ha, look what I'm eating. Yeah, I eat here's the thing I don't order it. But my children, we let them eat what they want to eat right now. And if they're eating something that has bacon in and then they don't finish it. I have this weird thing where I don't let food go to waste, so I just end up eating it. Okay, I'm not proud of myself. By the way, the American Society of Cinematographers gave the Greg Tolan Heritage Award to the best up and coming cinematographer, and you won that in nineteen ninety nine. Who the fuck is Greg Toland?
Speaker 2: Greg Toland is a cinematographer who most famously is known for having shot Orson Wells's Citizen Kane, and he was a pioneer. He actually shared a title card with or and Wells in the film, which was considered a big deal at the time. But he designed lenses. He built lenses like he was one of those like craftsmen that just knew, like when there was a need for something, he would design it. He would figure out how to build it.
Speaker 1: All right, So you got this award in nineteen ninety nine, Yeah, that's pretty great. That was right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: It was basically a big deal.
Speaker 1: And then you ended up on Tosh Point. Oh that seems not like the normal trajectory of somebody. Do you hate green screen?
Speaker 2: No, but I don't think I can see the color green anymore because I was around it so much during the time I worked on the show that Do.
Speaker 1: People realize how much stuff you shot because they always just think of the show like, oh, doesn't need to stand in front of a green screen the whole time. I don't think they realized how many other things were shot for that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was the Selena Gomez music video parody we did.
Speaker 1: Kartof still talks to me about that dumb thing. He's like, that was great. He couldn't memorize a word. Talk about what a good time working on Tosh Point zero was and how easy I am to work with.
Speaker 2: The hours were great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something I'll take it.
Speaker 2: We had summer hours. We'd come in at I think four am to light a set, to be rolling by six or seven o'clock, and then wrapped at eight am. Heading home mid morning rush hour.
Speaker 1: Is bonker.
Speaker 2: You'll get breakfast at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, listen, what are you talking about. We always had those nice little breakfast breeders.
Speaker 2: That's true, all right.
Speaker 1: So you didn't have a good time, and I wasn't easy to work with. That's fair, No, you were.
Speaker 2: We didn't always know that, Daniel, we were going to get but it was always exciting.
Speaker 1: What does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Whatever the script was, we knew that it could change in a moment's notice, because you could, you could work with something, you could you would respond in the moment, and we had to light the show in such a way that that anything could change at any moment, And so we were always thinking on our feet, like there was never a point where we felt, you know, comfortable.
Speaker 4: Over thirteen years, there was never a point in like an a creative sense, and so everybody was kind of ready to dance and think on their feet if needed.
Speaker 1: But they also got to go home at nine o'clock in the morning. So yeah, well that was only toward the end that I forced everybody to start working at crazy early hours. That's such a silly idea that we had. Well, here, you know what I liked about working with you. I'll tell you what I liked now. All the things you think, oh, gay, no, that's a that's a plus, but not what you're good at your job. No, couldn't, couldn't care less. I think it comes down to it's like you're also quiet. That's a huge plus, but like you just like did your shit. But the real thing is probably just being from Minnesota. There's just something about people from Minnesota that I've always liked.
Speaker 2: Minnesota and Ice they call it, oh Man.
Speaker 1: What a name. Yeah, they're just nice folks there. When movies were predominantly shot on film, everyone talked about how fantastic digital would be. Now which is better?
Speaker 2: It's subjective, but it also depends on what you're doing, you know. I think there are some shows that will always work better some movies having been shot in film. But ultimately it comes down to budget and what you want it to look like. You know, you can look at digital, it's just like a different film stock choice. So like you can choose to shoot on film, it's a different process. It has a more natural look to it. I think the way the tones interact with each other, the grain, there's a dimensionality to it.
Speaker 1: I hate what you're saying. I hate what you're saying well, because anytime you would set stuff up, it's I knew always I understood that you knew what you were doing, but I always would just need to walk away because I just know that like setting up shots, it just takes so long. And if you're not into that then especially if you're like doing comedy where it's like, who can I'm just telling a joke. Oh, it's painful? How long?
Speaker 2: I think you have to be passionate about it in order to survive because the hours can be long, the pay can be crap, the food can be worse, and it can be it can be difficult in a slog. But if you love it like you don't think about that, that kind of disappears.
Speaker 1: We gotta get you on. You need to be working on Showgun. That's that seems like that was the project for you.
Speaker 2: You got a hook up?
Speaker 1: I don't know, no, But if we do find a hookup, then I need to find a way for you to let me meet that star. Oh man, she is pretty. You were on the set of the one where Alec Baldwin shot someone.
Speaker 2: I was un rust No, okay, that is.
Speaker 1: Sorry about that, Eddie. That's Eddie's fault. Eddie. You got me? You ever shot a gun?
Speaker 2: I have? I went to the shooting range with Scott Sibilski.
Speaker 1: He was Scott's abili was a producer on On Tosh point zero and he's the one that introduced us to you. Which is weird because Scott is if you were to draw a photo of a heterosexual man, it would be Scott Zabielski, like just his hair's a cop for fun. That's the weirdest thing in the world. How did you guys know each other?
Speaker 2: We met at USC Okay, yeah, Usc.
Speaker 1: You guys just all take care of each other. You're kind of like Harvard, a bunch of assholes, aren't you. Probably for somebody that has worked in film and television. As long as you have, you never got fat and disgusting. You've always you always were in perfect shape. I'll be honest with you. Sometimes I felt like you you became a cameraman just to show off your arms and hold a camera carry stuff around. Yeah, you always he always just like just the tightest shirts too, am I is that changed? Ers? Are you still wearing skin tight shirt? I can see that shirt's pretty tight.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I'm a homosexual, so.
Speaker 1: Now that I know tons of homeosexuals that are physically not in good shape.
Speaker 2: I just never liked the way, you know, bag your shirts looked on me. But I didn't know how to dress like up until I don't know, in my early thirties or late twenties. I think I wore mostly flannels and baggy clothes.
Speaker 1: You did. I've never seen you in a baggy outfit in my life. I'd love to give you a photo of you in a baggy shirt. That's what i's out. You work out every day just about what's what's what's the process? What do you do well?
Speaker 2: It's changed because I used to be more into like weightlifting for strength training, but now it's really just I like high intensity, So I do like a boot camp style workout. Work out at home.
Speaker 1: You're carrying a sand bag around like an idiot.
Speaker 2: No, no, just like some dumbbells, a matte kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the I get a mental high from it. Not everybody gets that, No, I know, I never had one. Yeah, I don't work out clear my head.
Speaker 1: And you do it early in the morning or late at night.
Speaker 2: You try to do it early in the morning, like what time today was six am?
Speaker 1: And that's earlier than normal.
Speaker 2: It's about that time Okay.
Speaker 1: So six am every day you're sweating.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, how many total days in your life would you say you've gone into a gym?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Not for shoot, that's a stare. Two five maybe and never as an adult. I can remember in college going into a gym. I guess I just think it's dumb. I'm never gonna look good. I'm never gonna get like a body that's.
Speaker 2: Like rich Piana.
Speaker 1: Just you know, I'm never gonna have arms, and I should do it. You care about what you eat too, though? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I cheat? Okay, you know I'm not super rigid desserts.
Speaker 1: Do you like desserts?
Speaker 2: Have a sweet tooth?
Speaker 1: I just ate old cheesecake that was in the refrigerator. I don't even know where it came from. It was like mushed into a tupperware bowl, and I just was just Carly was thrown away, Like wait, wit give me that. I wouldn't eat a lot of the meals that the crew would eat. But when you found out that Panda Express was being a you would get emotional, visibly upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and one of your staffers over there, like you know, relished in the opportunity to serve Panda Express.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I've changed Pete as much as I can. We call him life Hack Pete. Guys got a shortcut for everything. But but yeah, his taste in foods is always a little bit questionable.
Speaker 2: There was somebody who worked on the show whose wife worked I don't know, something to do with food safety, and she said that the chicken that they used in Panda Express is like grade K chicken, or it was a low grade chicken.
Speaker 1: But if it goes to Z that's fine. Let me tell you some Panda Express. If you're a sponsor to the show, and I know you should be, grade K is fine with me. By the way, do you have to be strong to be in your business? No? I mean camera? I mean you carry a camera. Yeah, you're lugging stuff around all day long?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure, I mean you know you have assistance, you have a team that can help you. And and if you're if you're on a union job as a cinematographer, you know technically you won't have to touch any equipment if you have if you hire camera operators.
Speaker 1: Are you always doing union jobs or do you ever get to do none union work anymore?
Speaker 2: A mix? I would say, you ever sit on that train track on the on the Dolly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that fun?
Speaker 2: It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I love the train. You ever say choo choo? Or when you're when you're getting pushed around.
Speaker 2: I remember being told by a producer on this show that we were never allowed to have a Dolly track. Why just because it would take too much time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like it. Then, Eh, the thing was this show people? What people don't understand, they may understand, it's pretty simple. The reason that the show worked is is the way I understood it. You know, you can do shows a million different ways, and they can work and be successful or they can fail for a million different reasons. But the way I went about it was, Okay, if I have a show that cost way less than every other show they're doing, it won't have to do as well for them to say it makes financial sense to keep the show. That was just my thinking. And then it got to a point where, oh, the show was doing well but it costs less. Well, now I want to just make all that money, So give me all the extra money you would be spending on an expensive show. That was my thinking, and so let's keep the show cheap. I probably should admit that, right, that's bad, but whatever. That was my.
Speaker 2: Thinking, simple economics.
Speaker 1: What projects of yours are you the most proud of? Besides Tosh point.
Speaker 2: Zero, there's a film I shot called Big Time Adolescence, Uh huh that went to Sundance and did well, and it's a dark comedy. I love the writing and it very well directed. It was first time director writer named Jason Orley, and I liked my work in it and the experience of making it.
Speaker 1: In terms of cinematography, name your top five favorite films and I will bet you all the money in the world that I haven't heard of any of them.
Speaker 2: Top five films. Favorite films for cinematography.
Speaker 1: Yeah for you? Yeah, the Godfather didn't see it?
Speaker 2: No Country for Old Men?
Speaker 1: Oh, I saw it, loved it.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful masterpiece Western.
Speaker 1: You like westerns? Yeah? Why, I didn't mean it like anything. Guys are like, why would he.
Speaker 2: Not like that're just amazing classic stories and in there they're not quite fantasy, but they're not quite reality.
Speaker 1: Whenever I see those that world am I thank the Lord that I wasn't born during that time. I wouldn't have survived in that world at all. It's not the Western world. Is not is not cut out for a man with ibs.
Speaker 2: No Citizen Kane all right, And it's not just because of the Greg Poland thing, but it's it's inventive, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's black and white.
Speaker 1: Like that Silence.
Speaker 2: Number four American Beauty shot by Conrad Hall.
Speaker 1: Do you always know who shot a film?
Speaker 2: A lot of times I do. I mean, I'll research it in advance.
Speaker 1: Or that must be funny one of the movies.
Speaker 2: I'll go and read about the cinematography after a film Natural Born Killers. I'm just thinking about when that came out. That movie was so the cinematography was explosive, it was so inventive and creative. Shot like super a chop video shot by Robert Richardson. It was just, you know, amazing, does beautiful work. Did a lot of work with Oliver Stone, now works with quinton.
Speaker 1: Is Quintin done.
Speaker 2: I mean he said that I think he was going to do one more, but I don't. You know. It's like share where she says farewell, but really she means hello.
Speaker 1: Do do you rush out? Every time Cher says this is the last time everybody's on the show gets gifts. All it's just stuff from around my house. But anyway, first, first I want to give you is these chomps protein bars. They're turkey chomps. You're supposed to send me some free shit. You haven't sent me anything. I don't like these jalapeno ones. They just don't taste as good. So I don't want any of the halopeno ones. Dorm by that hair. Anyway, you'll get some snack on your way home.
Speaker 2: There's there's some of those thank you.
Speaker 1: Get that off the desk. This is a little a board that my brother in law and his wife gave me this year. They're like, oh, did you did you like that? It's like a wave because I like the ocean. I'm like, no, yeah, it's fine, but this little it's dumb. First of all, who am I serving this to? Like I'm having one person come over. I put a lunch able on here, like, ah, look at this. Anyway, you'll like that. Thank you. Here, we have these sea stank stands. Is that what they're called? That is sea stands. We've got three of these. We want it for this this podcast and we don't use them, so I don't want them and I want you to take don't let this touch my desk. I swear to God, if you drop a sea stand.
Speaker 3: He's got the strength.
Speaker 1: Will you need these for anything? I will?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 1: Okay, well guess what. Well, you're welcome. You're welcome for tax purposes for myself to write this off? What did I How much of these worth?
Speaker 2: Seventy bucks each? I'm just guessing them.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, that's not a bad gift. Then no, that's great. That's not a bad that's not that's not hold on, I won't last gift.
Speaker 2: It's worth the drive.
Speaker 1: This you you probably won't. Why am I giving you a printer? Thing? Okay?
Speaker 2: That was That was a good move. You just sit there shoulder workouts.
Speaker 1: Okay, this printer okay, see that's why I don't have to work out, because I give heavy gifts. Way, this printer is brand new. I got it for when COVID hit and the show was temporarily shut down for a bit, and I was in Tahoe and they're like, oh, we're gonna shoot you know up in Tahoe. I'm gonna put a green scream up in my garage. Anyway, I needed to get a printer. That was way long story. Never could get it to work, and then Pete tried to get it to work and he couldn't get where. He goes, oh, I think the ink dried up. And I'm like, how's the ink gonna dry up? Just sitting in a house for three years? Whatever? And then he put change the ink cartridge and it would only print blue. I'm like, I go, that can't be right, and he's like no, he goes, and then he said something that I'm not gonna repeat, but then it just he goes, it doesn't work anymore. I go, there's no way a brand new printer that has sat in my house for three years only printed in blue ink for two weeks. So anyway, I'm He's like, well it doesn't work. I'm giving this to you, and then I want you to fix it and print something, and then I will fire Pete.
Speaker 2: Thank you, okay, can take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please take that off. Don't drag it straight up. Look at that show how strong you are. Wall. You have a gift for me. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I did bring something.
Speaker 1: What did you bring for me?
Speaker 2: A book that my mother wrote that is based on me as a boy and my childhood imaginary friend.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't first of all, it's why the blonde hair.
Speaker 2: Because I was blonde, really blond, straight, long hair as a kid.
Speaker 1: Nothing straight about you.
Speaker 2: Also holding a jerbil is a hamster?
Speaker 1: Oh my bad? Sorry?
Speaker 2: The Adventures it's and there's book. I know you got kids, I do, I'll read it.
Speaker 1: I'll read it today. Did you go by Andy? Yeah? Do people still call you Andy?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't think so. I get mad when other people that like know you better have a different name. I'm always like, well that's not you don't call me Andrew. No, his real friends call me Andy. Congratulations on getting married. You just got married this past year.
Speaker 2: Two years ago?
Speaker 1: You got married two years? How long together were you? Guys together? Before this?
Speaker 2: My husband and I actually met at USC. We were randomly assigned as roommates, like literally into the same bedroom. It was for summer housing.
Speaker 1: Hottest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so there was another roommate there too, and or got me.
Speaker 1: Before guy gets to go. But I was at USC and the other two rooms are just banging each other constantly?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: God? Damn it?
Speaker 2: He would tell the story better than I, But I was starting to come out. I had only just come out to one friend. At SC and not even to my parents yet. So there was a closet full of flannels. This was like the older me, and I had a book that had a kind of topic of homosexuality and the spine was turned around. I don't know why I did this. I was closeted. So I had all these books and then there was one that was turned the other direction, and he saw that and saw what it was and started to you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, good for him.
Speaker 5: Did you guys ever hook up in college? We were boyfriends for how long? Like about a year I think, okay, and then we actually broke up. I dumped him, and then we were apart for seventeen years. I think, whoa, Yeah, we were in and out of relationships.
Speaker 1: Captain touched the whole seventeen years.
Speaker 2: Not and touched the whole time.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: No, we went off and lived separate lives.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: Then we got back together about ten years ago.
Speaker 1: One year in college, seventeen years off and then he calls you up, and you, guys are like, right back, this is gonna work. This is a relationship.
Speaker 2: It was uncertain in the beginning, but it turns out when you're in your late thirties, you're a bit different than being twenty one.
Speaker 1: What does your husband do?
Speaker 2: He works in finance.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, your husband works is like a has a family office.
Speaker 2: He's a family office manager right.
Speaker 1: Worth of one of his big, big, big clients.
Speaker 2: He doesn't talk numbers.
Speaker 1: What you think he embezzles from them? Do you ever think he was gonna knock on the door and like all of a sudden, you're both in handcuffs.
Speaker 2: I don't see that.
Speaker 1: I would be terrified because my business manager, I love them more than anyone, and I know for a fact if I found out they'd been stealing from me for twenty five years, I'd be like, Oh, They're like, well haven't you looked at your statements in twenty five years? I'm like, nope, I haven't. I sure hope they're not. Okay, so he doesn't steal?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Are you and your husband faithful to each other?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You guys don't. You guys don't allow some like bullshit like oh, hall past thing.
Speaker 2: We're very honest.
Speaker 1: Okay, but does that mean that you occasionally do stuff like that? Then god damn it, you do all right?
Speaker 2: You gotta put everything on the table.
Speaker 1: Uh huh? I get it, just get it off my table. Do you think you'll live in LA for the rest of your professional career?
Speaker 2: Possible, But there's a lot of uncertainty right now in the business, and so I don't know where my career is going to take me. You know, I think I'll always travel wherever I'm based, but I think it's you know, increasingly that I can be based anywhere and still do what I do.
Speaker 1: What advice do you have for some kid that wants to move out to LA wants to be a cameraman someday? What all do they have to do?
Speaker 2: I think the industry is shifting. I think filmmaking is changing, and there's very much been a shift from away from like traditional films, movies, TV shows and towards smaller, creator driven projects. You know, when I was starting out, I had a couple of options. I could try the studio system where I work as an assistant and eventually work my way up to you know, camera operator, maybe shoot second unit. Or I could just start making my own projects and meeting other filmmakers. And that's the route that I took, and I wouldn't have made a different decision today. The downside of that is you don't get to work alongside other people and kind of learn from mentors as much. But I think shoot as much as you can make what you're passionate about, find like minded people and break the rules. I think it's important to learn filmmaking, learn the basics and then try stuff out and play.
Speaker 1: Do you have to go to film school?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. You don't know now, particularly now you can learn so much on YouTube.
Speaker 1: You said you wouldn't do anything different if you it came out today with creating your own content, et cetera. But would you do the whole USC thing again.
Speaker 2: If it were today?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably? Oh, And I think it's because it's a great environment to meet other, you know, like minded people.
Speaker 1: Financially, is it is? Are you struggling for a long time? If this is the path that you choose.
Speaker 2: That can be the case.
Speaker 1: I mean, is there work out there? It seems like there's so many platforms that are making content now, but yet it seems like no one's working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think there's more because I think the economy is different now you're you're producing for for this medium as opposed to I mean, you might get lucky and develop a following and find a brand. But it's also very competitive. The barrier to entry is lower than it's ever been. You know, technology has has is everywhere. I mean there's new cameras coming out like every day, and people are shooting movies on iPhones.
Speaker 1: I heard the new iPhone seventeen camera is going to be a game changer. Oh, I can't wait to shoot on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you going to see what is it? Twenty eight months later? That's coming out twenty eight years later.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Danny Boyle direct that you shot that on an iPhone? You've seen tangerine?
Speaker 1: Tangerine? Yeah, sounds like something I might have seen. But no.
Speaker 2: That was the film about let's just say life around Santa Monica and Highland, and it was directed by Sean Baker, shot on an iPhone. It's it's beautiful, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna watch it. I don't like movies, No I do. I just don't like that. I don't I don't know how to ask.
Speaker 2: Not four hour movies.
Speaker 1: Oh God, don't even know. There's no world where I'm watching four hour movies. Do you see wicked?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: Did you like it. Yeah, I thought it was really good. Yeah I didn't. I didn't want to like it. I was like, please don't like this, Please don't like them My god, damn it. I love it. I loved Wicked the whole way through it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was fabulous.
Speaker 1: Does it make you angry that John replaced three cameramen with two poles in a tripod for this podcast?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're just doing what you have to do and the economics of a podcast.
Speaker 1: What do you think the lighting in here?
Speaker 2: I have notes.
Speaker 1: You want to tinker, don't you. Yeah, every party you wants to tinker. Yeah, what's the problem?
Speaker 2: Well, that light source there, it's a bit harsh, like it could be it could be a little softer. I can tell the type of diffuse material being used. I mean, I don't know how it looks on me, but I've I've watched some of your other podcasts, and you know, at like, I think you could go softer with it.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: I think that there you could. You could. That's probably working as an eyelight, but it might be giving some double shadows.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: We always had an eyelight for you on the show, so we would set something low you could put back here. You know, I always wanted to have it right here, but I couldn't because the center camera would see it. So because your eyes kind of are are are sunken back a little bit, so you want to see them.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I didn't highlight.
Speaker 2: You could do the Anderson Cooper thing and like cut into the desk and then put a piece of glass and then they would just have a light like an eyelight that would fill you in.
Speaker 1: Anderson Cooper has children, Okay, why don't you have kids? Jerk? All right? Andrew, thank you everyboding on the show. Thanks Daniel, Jesus. Andrew so aggressive. No, it wasn't sweat. It was just the violent class. So strong. Yes, strong hand, big hands too, don't you? Yeah you do? Casha, Oh the thing Andrew for being on the podcast. I'd also like to file a complaint from the Straits. I just think, okay, I just thought about this a little more, the idea that he went off to college and his roommate became his husband one day, right, just saying that's not fair for the Straits. How much better would college be if you knew that you might get paired up with someone that you got to have sex with. Oh wouldn't that be great? I mean, how exciting would it be to walk into a room. Oh my goodness, this could be my wife. I think it would actually help college enrollment. Certainly, it would increase people wanting to live in the dorms. Because here's the thing. If you knew that you could potentially be signed up with a girl in your dorm and that you guys might have sex, that's awesome because it's gonna make way more guys want to live in the dorms. And it's also you're gonna say, well, it's gonna make less girls want to true, But the girls that do want to, you know that they're ready to go. They're gonna be that. Those are the horny girls something. Yeah, they literally signed up for it. Okay, that's not fair. Just because they signed up to live with the man doesn't mean that they want any hanky panky. But Carl, head up, you're gonna want to hear this. It also makes the ra's job that much more exciting. You know. Oh, no, some dude's not taking the hint. She's not into them. I gotta get in there and see if she's interested in me. Yeah, Okay, it's just gonna be fun. It sounds like a new acronym. It's my point. You always have this perception of what college is going to be, right, You're like, oh, I'm gonna get to college just be girls and have sex. And it never is that. It's like, oh, I have classes and it's hard and I was a study all day. This stinks, but I think this, uh you know, co ed dorms rooms, that's where it's at. Anyway. All right, we got some plugs. We have the tossshowstore dot com, get yourself some merch. We got our tours Eddie Goosling dot com and Daniel Tosh dot com. We're going all over the beautiful Midwest, heading over to New York. Where else are we going? Jersey, Philly, Jersey and Philly. Yeah, oh, it doesn't get any better than that. All right, Well it's time for our free plug. Go ahead, band, crank it up. Do you like classical music? All right? The free plug? You guys know I love heavy metal. Well, why wouldn't you play it heavy metal? Why did you do classical music? If the plug is for heavy metal? All right, I don't need to tell you that if I were to be in Wisconsin Dell's on April fourth, you would find me at the Legacy Dinner Theater to watch the number one Metallic a tribute band working today, Hardwired. Oh, man, are you kidding me? Hardwired? Those are the guys from Tampa, Florida. Yep, yep, says it right there, Tampa, Florida. Yeah, if ever there was a job, it's like, Oh, I'm in a Metallica tribute band. I would be worrying you from Tampa. It seems like one hundred percent, there's nothing more nail on head than a Metallica tribute band from Tampa, Florida. All Right, They've perforred hundreds of performances all over the US pretending to be Metallica. It's no wonder they have become a household name in the tribute world. I wonder how Lars feels about tribute bands. Remember back in the day, Lars was the big napster killer, just couldn't handle anybody listening to music for free. But I wonder how he feels about a tribute He might actually be playing in the band for all I know. By the way, is he or is he not the worst drummer out of all the big successful bands. Pete says, yes, Pete's are drum experts. He says, yes. Wow, man, why does he get such a voice in the band for all these years? It's like, why do I know his name? You shouldn't. You shouldn't know a drummer's name, period, let alone a shitty drummer. Come at me Metallica fans. If I'm wrong now, don't give me wrong. I love Metallica. Oh. I used to have in my Honda Civic when I was sixteen.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I used to add the six by nine s. They were in individual boxes with a bass cannon and I had. I used to love to play that one slow song. What was it? Unforgiven?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Unforgiven? Oh that had some bass that came in toward the end of it. I liked it all right. Anyway, what were we talking about? This Metallica band? The show kicks off at seven with doors opening up five thirty general admission. It's forty nine dollars ninety five cents plus a nine hour processing fee. Holy cow, that's more than what it costed to see Metallica. There's no refunds after purchase, However, tickets maybe exchange for another performance to provide. The box office is notified in a minimum of forty eight hours prior to showtime. For those with mobility issues, contact the box office so they can find in you a seat near a ramp or a plug for your medical device keeping you alive. Nobody wants to die watching not Metallica. UH. The Legacy Dinner Theater is located at five six four Wisconsin Dell's Parkway, south across from the Wilderness Resort. It's right next to UH Pirate Cove's Adventure Golf. That's where it is. You know. The other day I heard a band warming up at this little rock venue and I took my daughter and son into to watch soundcheck and they didn't kick me out. They was like yeah, and it was a female singer and she was letting it rip and my son was just like whoa. And I'm like, yeah, man, you just.
Speaker 3: Came home with something new.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 3: It's a new hack. Just go to sound checks. You don't have to go to the show. You're gett to see them kind of like warm up, get the pipes, tune it in, and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leave. You have to have children with you at all the time, like you gotta have children. Maybe if you don't have cute kids, you're not You're gonna they're gonna ask you to leave sound check. You know you gotta. You got a fugly daughter and they're like, nah, beat it, buddy, go buy a ticket. Okay, you got a cute daughter that's got her hair and little little buns. They're like, come on in, you want to sit down. I'm like, nah, we don't want to sit down. We're at a rock show. We're gonna stand. My daughter pulled out a lighter, my son was vaping. What are we talking about? See you next week