Speaker 1: Pushkin. Suki Waterhouse started professional life as a model and actress in the UK. A full fledged music career might have seemed far fetched, but she quickly found an authentic voice as a singer songwriter. She put out some beautiful demos that caught the attention of the legendary sub pop label, which put out her first album, I Can't Let Go and her latest memoir of a Sparkle Muffin. Suki's music first started catching on with audiences through TikTok, but he oftener album wasn't built with social media audiences in mind. It's an eighteen song journey through the life of a thirty year old woman who had some wild times in her twenties, survived the sadness memorialized on her first album, and has come to find happiness and even a family on the other side. On today's episode, I talked with Suki Waterhouse about building an organic career in music, what it was like opening for Taylor's Swift at Wembley Stadium just last month, and she tells a great Jack White story that inspired one of my favorite lines from her first album. This is broken record liner notes for the digital age. I'm justin Richman. Here's my conversation with Sukie Waterhouse from Amazon's Studio one twenty six. To see the full video version of this episode, go to YouTube dot com slash Broken Record podcast. Congratulations on the soon to be released memoir of a Sparkle Muffin.
Speaker 2: Thank You, Thank You. I can't believe it. Actually it's too like over two weeks, but it's pretty much two weeks away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, right up.
Speaker 3: I know, it's always that strange thing.
Speaker 2: You put so much work in and there's kind of singles coming out and there's rollout, and then you kind of actually you kind of forget that everyone hasn't had the record yet.
Speaker 1: You've heard it a ton, Yeah, I've.
Speaker 3: Had it a bunch of times.
Speaker 2: I just did a listening party the other day, which was just really fun nice because you know, you get together like a kind of one hundred or something and you play them and you get to see their expressions and you you kind of get like a real.
Speaker 3: Sense of it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and I've been going around and like showing it to some of the streamers and stuff like that, but you kind of forget that everyone else, apart from like your friends and all the people that you love, Like I haven't heard it yet, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Rollouts is always really fun because it's unexpected. I feel like the next few months you really have no idea, like what's gonna happen and what's gonna connect, and it's kind of just like a bit of a mystery.
Speaker 1: And it's it's it's yeah, absolutely, I mean, obviously you have a tour booked, but in terms of like what sort of from the album like grabs people's attention, actually, you know, it's you really don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have no idea. This is a long album as well.
Speaker 2: Actually this is like an eighteen song record, which is Yeah, it was kind of like it longing.
Speaker 1: I was shocked about how long it was. That I mean, I love that it was long. It was cool, and I ended up like, you know, because it's longer, like I started thinking about it in sections, you know, almost like I guess, broken up the way like an old LP would be. Like it was like a double LP flip sides. Like certain certain groups of songs have like their own character. It feels like together and.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I now think of them as like a larger piece.
Speaker 2: Literally, parts of the memoir are together, like songs like Gateway and Oh My God and Blackout. I feel like a kind of inside there they're in like a kind of like destructive section of it.
Speaker 3: But I guess, yeah, that's kind.
Speaker 1: Of all the bye though, and then into like OMG, like that's kind of its own section. Two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A Lallabli is a song I haven't listened to in a long time actually because I kind of I feel like, yeah, I don't know, there's like this line in it about taking sleeping pearls and stuff. I don't know, you know when you're just like, oh, God, like it's sort of like you you wrote it really, just like, oh, I'm putting exactly how I feel in this one very like hazy moment where I've like written everything out and I'm like, oh, this isn't like this isn't every night, but this is you know what I mean, Like it's yeah, it's one of those ones that felt like a really personal kind of like etching.
Speaker 1: And I'm surprised that's the that's the lyric that us in God, because I mean, I don't know, it doesn't seem to me that I mean through your whole I mean starting with brutally like way, yes, yeah, not to frame it that way more fucked up, but you know there are guess as I was listening, I was like, wow, there's like, you know, you have some really your writing is really cool. I mean there's some like really maybe it's because you're British, but there's like a bit of a acerbic kind of tone to certain certain lines that are just like fun. You know, they almost make them like hip hop lines in a sense, like they're not quite a disk, but they're kind of like a little mean in a weird way, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess maybe I am a little mean, you know, or a little bit like yeah, a little bit, a little bit cutting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a little cutting. I think I think that's what it is.
Speaker 2: You know, or like dad pan or like sometimes yeah, sometimes like you can say things as sort of like I'll use words or whatever, I can do it in an interview someone's where I'm like, oh my god, like that's been you know, like it comes across as being very like different to how you maybe said it with your tone. Yes, but yeah, I think actually, yeah, you said like British and I think that was something I think on my first record, I've I've always been like very inspired by like that kind of American Americana, like almost like like certain kind of like country folky elements. I think that came up quite a lot on the first record, and this one, I think I like lean into a lot more of the things that I grew up with, like a lot more of like kind of ramones or like English bands, like a little bit more Oasis and you know things. I think I was like, yeah, songs like Blackout Drunk, I kind of wanted that like Ramonesy, bloc party almost like the things that I was listening to in two thousand and eight, like stomping Down.
Speaker 3: I was stomping around New York.
Speaker 2: With like these like big hideous like Doc Martin's I got on eBay and you know that that kind of like that kind of feeling.
Speaker 3: Especially I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: So happy you said them. That's one of my favorite That's one of my favorite. You know, I don't really listen to them so much anymore because I just I've listened to them so much that I feel like I have their entire catalog, like I could recall it at any moment, right, But when you say that, like the b B Blackout Drunk, it's almost like twenty twenty twenty four. It's kind of got that kind of upbeat kind of.
Speaker 2: And it's just like such a I really love that song actually, because if it came out so just like as this as a story and just felt like okay, it was it was kind of like taken from a little bit of reality of like talking to friends and being like, oh god, we hate it and like you know, oh, your boyfriend got like way too drunk and it's like annoying, you know, and then we took I kind of took took it from there and then just made up this story of you know, going out and this girl get you know, he's gotten too drunk, and he's he's kind of like touching all the other girls weirdly and like you know, and I'm so pissed and he's falling asleep next to me and I can't wait to like wake him up and tell him all of the shit that he's done wrong.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Like that it was like came out as this very like concise story, which kind of doesn't always happen actually that much, where you're just you're really enjoying going like you know what, Yeah, you're kind of just like playing off everything in your head, like, well, would you like it if I cheated on you?
Speaker 3: Like how would you like that? Like you'd hate that?
Speaker 2: And it kind of Yeah, it just came out on Monco, So that was that was a really fun one.
Speaker 1: What what I mean given that it only came from a scrap of like not even necessarily autobiography, but just came from like, but it is a very so I'll say this, listen to that song, I realized, I don't think I've ever been that person. I know many people person, I know that relationship, relationship that's a very relatable, but I've never heard it actually like put in song that way. M But what what.
Speaker 2: About Probably plenty of songs about people getting drunk, right or like yeah.
Speaker 1: Being a drunk, but like not like just that dynamic though of like the boyfriend's probably pretty decent person sober, but then goes out and gets way too fucked up, probably way too often, right, does some fucked up things and then yeah, the sort of the thrill of being able to I guess what must be the thriller. Wise, I don't know if people say I'm just being able to sort of rub it in their noses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like why do.
Speaker 1: You do this?
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I get Yeah.
Speaker 2: Having that be like a kind of a fun thing, I guess is when you can take something that's actually probably quite difficult in real life and make it sort of like celebrate it and empower it and like and and make it kind of like an enjoyable thing to to sing. Is Yeah, I don't know that one. Yeah, that's it's it's a funny one. It's kind of like I'd forgotten about that song for a long time. And then I actually changed the single. I do it all the time, but I changed it to Blackout Drunk.
Speaker 1: Was it supposed to.
Speaker 3: Pretty last minute.
Speaker 2: It was meant to be Gateway, Yeah, which is like the first song on the record. But I'd done like oh my god, I'd done my fun and I'd done faded and then it felt like more it felt like kind of in the same like scope of everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know, Yeah, I do that.
Speaker 2: I do that all the time, Like I'll just I'll just completely throw it out the window and everyone's like I kind of enjoyed and that, you know, when the label's got the plan and everything's planning, it's going to be gate We're jong the I'm like, no, it's not, we're changing the whole thing.
Speaker 1: You know, you feeling it in real time exactly. Oh, people are really kind of I'm really liking this one now. No, I feel as it feels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't feel I didn't feel ready for Gateway, even though it's like it is one of my favorite songs off the record and I like love it.
Speaker 3: It just yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You just like you kind of get a sense or I guess when like or if everyone's like, oh, this should be the single, this is the most thing like that also gives me like an allergic reaction and like change change change, like cause correct, because I just think it's Yeah, I don't know, I feel like in music, right, I don't know. It just doesn't feel we're not in that.
Speaker 3: That doesn't work. I don't think it works.
Speaker 1: That's just the metrics, the sort of well it doesn't it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like just because something sounds like, oh that sounds like a single, it's just not where. It's not where like culture is at the moment. It's not where like you can it's not about just like the most single singly song or the one that every in fact, if anything, I'm always like, no, it's the opposite, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: No, definitely, Yeah, I don't know what what Faded is another one. I actually want to pull up some of some of the.
Speaker 3: Some of the lyrics.
Speaker 2: Everyone's been like, what are these lyrics? Like they're all over the place.
Speaker 1: You used to call me yogo? Yeah, I made I'm gonna joke that all your friends are leaving, yeah or all yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like little vin I feel like that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one. That song like really goes back to that one, like really goes back to like being like sixteen seventeen, and like like the kind of the things that yeah, like the things that people were saying to like kind of the things that it's not. It's not I've seen like stuff on the internet being like who's it about, and it's like it's so it's it's sort of about like a couple of different people from when I was like sixteen, So you know what I mean. It's like and then there's like you know, there's like kind of other things in that too, but it's like, yeah, it takes little like vignettes and it was like this very like sweet it feels like this very sweet like kind of wave to the to the past, and in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that that line be the kind of man that I could that I could read to, I could read to. Yeah, it's just I don't know, that's the kind of thing I was like, again, I don't know if you meant it like cutting, but it's like, you know, it was a bit it's in a good way. I think it's like I would it was a bit like infantilizing in a positive way, like you know, like you're kind of this not the superior in the relationship. But again, it just felt like, I don't know, it seems like you have these very smart ways of kind of putting people or situations in the in a particular place that makes you sort of the person that holds the power, and it's it's it's kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, I don't know if that's true at all. Yeah, I mean I think on my first record, I probably will. I don't think I was feeling like that on my first record, I mean first records called I Can't Let Go, And like when I listen to it now, like I'm so proud of that that work. But it was definitely I think also because where I came from on that record was like, you know, I'd been putting up music by myself, like you know, it was always just like most of the songs at the beginning, like Brutally and Cause Place in the world, like they didn't weren't even recorded to like click or anything. It was so you know, so kind of just experimenting and there was nothing that there was no you know, there was no team, there was no nothing.
Speaker 3: So I got to do that for like a decade.
Speaker 2: So in a way, I feel like not much really changed, and in a way like when I kind of started, you know, actually made a record, but the first record was I kn't of got and I think it was I think I felt at that point like I was so frightened to cross over and add like to kind of change course in a way or say like hey, like here here's like an entire record, here's a body of work. Like my expectations was so low of what what would.
Speaker 3: Happen, you know, when I put put that record out.
Speaker 2: So everything that's happened in the last few years has just been like such an insane surprise. But yeah, with this, with this record, it's like it's such a jump in a way because it's like, yeah, I can't let go and now I feel like, oh, I've let go of so much and you know what I mean, Like I'm so I'm so much freer. I'm so like in what I can experiment with in music and with this record, and yeah, I feel like I've I've just gotten that. I'm like so full of wanting to write and wanting to just make as much stuff as possible.
Speaker 1: That's great. What was I mean? Maybe we can go back? What was the impetus to begin with with? Like so brutally was the first thing you put out?
Speaker 3: That was the first?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was like the first song?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah? What was what made you write? What? What made you write that? What made you then decide I need you know? And how did you record it? Did you find a band? Was it? Where did you do it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What's the story on the earlier?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So the first So I have this same producers now that I've worked with for like over a decade, Jewels upon It and Nat Finley, she is she has a project called Finley And I was like such a massive fan of Finley, So I went to one of their shows and somehow like got backstage and that was how I like got in with them. And similar thing with my friend Blue, who actually just mixed Memoir of a sparklem Off and we did a bunch of stuff together. So there's been like a crew that I've really been working with for such a long time. But Blue, yeah, that was like round. That was round at his house. I think it was like probably one of the first things that we've done together.
Speaker 1: And you've recorded the album albums at least in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: That was the first one. Yeah, the first record I record in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: But the early singles but those weren't like brutally and good looking.
Speaker 2: No, well they were just like at my house and stuff. Yeah, well at my house or in their living room. I mean most of the stuff that I do with Jewels and Nat we did like good looking, Oh my god, my fun Joanna. We've we've worked together for such a long time and they've they did a bunch of stuff on the new record too. That's like always been literally in a living room.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Jewels are such an like they're just yeah, they're a couple and they've been they've just been like the most unbelievable partners to have for a long time. And it's like it's cool, like we're all, you know, we made Good Looking like eight nine years ago, and you know, just because we were all enjoying each other so much, and then it kind of had this it's so weird when like with music like then it had a moment. It's a kind of it had like a moment where it kind of like started doing stuff like such a long time afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like about eight years.
Speaker 3: Like time afterwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's one of those weird things like when I when I made the I Can't Go record and had it signed it to subpop, like everyone was trying to get me to delete good Looking and delete all the old songs and like, oh, let's start afresh, and I was like, no, I love those songs.
Speaker 3: But it was such you know, it's like such a funny thing like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like the first song that kind of ended up like do yeah, doing doing good.
Speaker 1: And it did get I mean it wasn't it kind of sort of doing good around the time you put out I Can't Let.
Speaker 3: Go, Yeah, and it wasn't so weird, isn't it. It's so strange.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't on the but did it lift anything like, Like, so I feel like move got really popular as well from the first album. Yeah, that was so did Good Look did the kind of online for you know, viralness of Good Look into that.
Speaker 2: I definitely think it helped. Yeah, yeah, for sure. It was very strange that that kind of happened. At the same time it was Yeah, again I kind of felt like it was this like way from the past coming back around.
Speaker 3: But that yeah, that was like a TikTok thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like that's like one of those unexplainable things where like, yeah, no one's focused on your old stuff that you did eight nine years ago, but TikTok is like it just like does its own thing and it's no yeah, no rhyme or reason, and you like have yeah, you have no idea. You're watching all these videos and you're kind of thinking like, oh, this has just like come to life and has this other way that it's breathing that you never ever would have thought of.
Speaker 3: It's so bizarre. It's so bizarre.
Speaker 2: But yeah, for sure that that I'm sure that I'm sure that helped.
Speaker 3: Like bring eyeballs onto onto the music.
Speaker 2: And then I got to release Like I never would have thought those old songs would have got to be put on vinyl and like get a proper release, But we put all of them together and we released it on a and and I called it was an EP called Milk Teeth, So I released that right after.
Speaker 1: And was that on subpart to the or did you do that yourself?
Speaker 2: Okay? That was yeah, So those songs were I had all of them by myself and then and then I signed them to and we released them on a on a vinyl note that kind and they got to have this like moment. Yeah, they got to kind of you know, it's.
Speaker 1: A cool from them like delete them, ye.
Speaker 3: German, but you kind of yeah, it was one.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you know exactly smart that you listen to your instinct on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you never know. But that's always like that's always the coore thing. It's like, yeah, that's what I was like, Oh, I get to have it on a vinyl and get get to have it in record stores like that's always that's like the dream.
Speaker 3: That's always like the best thing ever.
Speaker 1: So the group you're saying you were a fan of it was Finley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Finley is Natalie and she yeah, Juels used to play with her too, and and I was a big fan of them. I remember it was kind of Yeah, it was around the time that like Jake Bug was around. I think I think I'd been to like one of his shows that same week and we met. Yeah, we just met each other backstage and and I literally had done as you know, i'd done, like I kind of I was always like finding people to work with, even though I had like sort of no sort of like music industry connections in a way, but that you know, you just find, you just find people to work with. So yeah, I remember we have we have like video footage of it where like little babies, like eighteen year old babies and that. Yeah, we started, Yeah, we started making those songs. And we would go on like little trips and go and stay at his mom's house and in Brittany and France, and and yes, it's been this like really long, like collaborative, fruitful experience.
Speaker 1: So you had some of the songs already when you went backstage and met them, you had some of the No.
Speaker 2: I don't think I had any of the ones that we we put out, No, we.
Speaker 3: Like I know, I know which song.
Speaker 1: I know we had some stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: I'd I definitely like made music before, but we we kind of like went in there with a lot of like like Jules has such you know, the production on good Looking and Joanna and Oh my God and my fun he has such a he just I don't know, I feel like he has something that no one else does, like both of them together, I really I think there's that that whole kind of like that it's it's yeah, it's it's otherworldly what I think they're able to do. And we yeah, we've just like had this really special relationship.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this break with more from Suki Waterhouse. We're back with Suki Waterhouse. Before you started writing songs or what was your like, what was like were you what was your relationship with music? You know? I mean you were at the time, you had a job, you were a model, you know, and you were acting. I think also by that point well into acting, so what.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe not when I was like that age.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think I think I started making music probably, yeah, I was, I was modeling and stuff. But yeah, I started making music kind of a long time before. I guess like I was, I was a model, but I was like not like a very successful model.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I really wasn't that really No. I was like like you.
Speaker 2: Know with my age to z go into like thirty castings a day and like you know, probably crying in like in a toilet most days. It wasn't It wasn't like a particular you know, it was very It was like very much at the beginning. So yeah, that was that was like always the yeah, writing and making music. It was like I wanted, Yeah, I really like wanted I wanted that life, but and I wanted to be in music always first actually, but I don't know. Sometimes like life kind of like takes you in different directions and like that and in and in so many ways, in fact, in every way, like I'm I'm I'm so grateful that it almost that it did take so long, and that it got so long, so much time to just work on it and discover what I like and and like mess up a bunch of times and do like hundreds of sessions of you know, like not like no, no, like kind of it's it's all about like taste and finding out what you do and don't like and becoming very particular about it. Like that is what it is essentially like building your artists world.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't if I was like if I had just been having to like make record ten and put everything out out, then yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't take it back for anything.
Speaker 2: And also it's like so much my music is about my life, and you know, I like got to kind of like be on that girl roller coaster of my twenties and like have like insane experiences and be crazy, and that is how I have like material. I feel like I probably did enough of my twenties to like sustain the material for like a while, because now it's like so much like it's so much like not as a.
Speaker 1: Crazy it's a little different now.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, Yeah, yeah, yeah I understand that.
Speaker 2: I mean it's still you know, it's still it's never gonna It's not like just having a kid makes everything. Oh like you know, it's not like that at all. You actually have a lot, you know, like like life goes on in this.
Speaker 1: Ya, but it feels less. I don't know.
Speaker 3: For some reason as insane.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a little mundane. It's crazier in a weird way.
Speaker 3: But it's to have two kids.
Speaker 1: You two girls. Yeah, they just third grade in kindergarten.
Speaker 2: Ring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the most it's a cool thing.
Speaker 1: It's wild.
Speaker 2: I love like just being a parent now and just that connection you have to other parents, like you know you just like I was backstage at a show that I was just doing in London, and I'm just like kind of walking and talking with one of the guys backstage, and he's pulling out pictures and being like.
Speaker 3: Look at this video. Look how smart she is, like loo, and You're like, well, look at this one. Look at what she's doing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like that excitement that you that it feels like unlocking a key to this like little secret like love club.
Speaker 1: No, it is, and it's funny. As long as you're there, it feels great. But you know, then sometimes I go out into the world and I kind of always think about this Anthony board. I don't know the exact quote, but as we had in an interview that Anthony Bourdain did obviously a while ago, and he was just like, you know, once you're like a dad, like you know, you try to break out like the Ramon shirt and then get it, go out and be in the mix, but after about like thirty minutes, you're like, I gotta throw this shit away, okay, like and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like I still feel quite like I don't know, I feel like myself, and I'm actually surprised by like how I.
Speaker 1: Don't know any tips. Then I need I need advice on.
Speaker 3: It, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I didn't, But then I guess, like it's not like I guess before as well. I certainly like haven't been wanting to go and be like doing crazy stuff, but like you know what I mean, yeah exactly, So it's not like it's been this like hugely drastic thing. And it's also like the best excuse ever for like streamlining your life a little bit, not like running around as much like being quite intentional. Yeah, it kind of helps you have that bedrock because you can't you can't, like you know, I can't just like take off and go everywhere and do it. So it's I have to be like much more intentional, which I think actually is something that is like not only good for me. And I have this like grounding this thing that keeps me very like grounded now, but it also keeps me like grounded to place more, which is something that after a long time of moving so much, I'm actually really happy for.
Speaker 1: So how do you how are you going to work a week?
Speaker 3: Basically, she's going with me?
Speaker 1: And how old is she?
Speaker 3: No, she's almost six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's kind of probably the best time, not because like before, she's going to just be figuring out in a couple of months how to like crawl and and walk.
Speaker 3: But we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: I'm like just throwing myself into being like, you know, she's got to come with me, so you just well, you know, a bus will be fun for her. I think there'll be so many people around, like she'll she's quite you know, she's social. She's like wants to be looking at everything and having fun. I'm going to be saying, just ask me in a few months and we're going to be like.
Speaker 1: Pretty fun experience for the baby and they don't really know what's going on. Everything's new and different exactly, you know, stimulating.
Speaker 3: It will be stimulating exactly.
Speaker 2: She's not going to be She's not you know, it's yeah, she just came to London with me on her first that was like a first like long flight and she.
Speaker 1: She was born here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was born here.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about does that? Does that feel? How do you feel about bridge?
Speaker 2: She has like a little American passible now, which is pretty cool. It's just really strange actually to see I'm like, oh my god, you like you were born in la Wow. But it was it was very special to bring her back actually and kind of go for it. I went early and had, you know, all the family. We went to the countryside, she went, saw the Tower of London, like I just like, yeah, we went everywhere and it was beautiful. Yeah, to have all the family, it is, it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I did like pull up my heartstrings a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, being like, oh, everyone's there's so many people in England or London that like love her and are obsessed with her and like so much family. So it makes Yeah, it makes you think you're like.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, where do you want to be?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But that's the thing is like you can't I think the I can't plan. You can't really like plan, Like both me and my partner we can't. We can't really plan that much. But there might you know, there'll be like nice stretches of time when maybe like a movie will be shot there or something, or you kind of you plan as much as you can to be home, but there's an element of there is an element of like, we don't really know what things look like all the time, and things change, so you kind of you kind of got to be pretty go with the flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's that's that's I mean, yeah, that's a wild until.
Speaker 2: Like school starts, and then that will be a different thing, right, Like it's I feel like you get a couple of years.
Speaker 3: At the beginning where maybe yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Where you can move them around a little bit more and then and then yeah, the in the future, it won't it won't be like that.
Speaker 1: Are you playing Are you playing your daughter music?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm playing her a lot of music. Yeah, I feel like disco. She's into Fleetwood Mac.
Speaker 3: She likes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I play her like Leila by Eric Clapton because my mum used to play that for me a lot. And then I'm and then I'm doing like Baby Motz and stuff because I'm just like trying.
Speaker 3: To you know, You're like you're you're like, oh, well, if you listen to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which probably will be exactly. I don't know if we try.
Speaker 2: And then like playing piano actually like my, yeah, my, like we both play piano, so we kind of like that's actually really sweet to see to see her watch that. I'm upset. I'm like, she has to one thing I'm like going to be crazy about. I really want her to be able to play guitar and piano, and like, have you do your kids play instruments?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I've gone through periods of pushing them to not pushing them, but being you know, like like what's probably good.
Speaker 3: Discipline, Come on, you need to play piano.
Speaker 1: And then and then but the times when like I pull them ato lessons and I don't, I don't talk about it much. Then I noticed, like, oh, I put my head on the corner. She's playing guitar or she's playing like that's cool. You know.
Speaker 3: So you probably can't exactly, you can't even force it.
Speaker 1: You just got to play the music. You got to play a lot of music, so you get a lot of exposure and build their tastes in the palette and then and then hope for the best.
Speaker 2: That's the best thing. Yeah, I feel like my parents didn't actually do that for me too much. We got like Tracy Chapman, and my dad was very into like Bruce Springsteen, but like I think there were four of us and my mom would just be like like the noise of just all of us at a certain point, like they weren't like super educational, but I don't know, in a weird way. That also made me really hungry to go and find find out about music.
Speaker 1: And I kind of you're sibling similar, do they have those similar?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my sister's actually, my sister's really good at He was kind of sim I kind of like we all like pass it around, and I guess I passed it down quite a lot. But I was like that was like my religion as finding out about everything when I was a teenager and you know, yeah, London when you're eighteen and kind of it was incredible, like I remember, yeah, just like getting out into night life and that was like a time where you could go to a bar and Camden and like the Baby Shambles will be around, an Amy Winehouse would be walking around and I'd be like a you know, teenager in London and.
Speaker 3: Taking all of that in.
Speaker 2: It's like there there were so many good like rock band shows happening that was like great, it was a great time for like indie music.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there was that I kind of yeah, I had like I had the whole of London at my fingertips to kind of soak into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from eighteen to sort of now through the making of the new album. How is your taste sort of changed evolved over over that course of time, if you can, If you can, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, there's not I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have like a pretty wide range of things that I love, Like you know, like there's it's I think, I think, I think it's like different to what I mean, there's always like things in your head as well, right, it's I get the I think when I first when I put my first record out, I was I think, like the what I wanted to make at the beginning especially was like I think I was really struck by lou Duian.
Speaker 3: You know who she is.
Speaker 2: She's Jane Berkan's daughter, and she she made this record and I guess like maybe I resonated with it. She'd been an actress and and fashion and all this kind of stuff, and like I felt this like I guess like that was someone I looked at and I went like, oh, you've made like this amazing record and there was a song called I See You and that that kind of music like I wanted to I don't know, I like when I was, you know, I felt, yeah, I felt like I wanted to make music like Marry and Faithful and like cat Power and Velvet Underground and like that was you know, that was and I and I guess I really didn't. I was like, oh, I know, I don't want to sound like I think if i'd like come out with something like really like you know, I didn't want anything like pop or and you know, nothing like that. And you know when you go into a studio, I want like real instruments and like and like brutally it's like I wanted to do. I wanted to literally just be in a room with the like with candles on and not do something to click and and just have something that was like very much like a feeling and not have Yeah, I think I was like kind of allergic to like things feeling feeling like produced and production like that. But now I'm not. Now I'm like, you know, more.
Speaker 3: Up into it.
Speaker 2: But it was also where I was in my head where I was like, I can't, I don't. It wouldn't it wouldn't feel right to like come out of the gate having come from like these different industries as well, to suddenly.
Speaker 3: Be like I'm a pop star.
Speaker 2: Like that was like my like I was like, oh, that would just never, that wouldn't work and it's not it would like never be aligned with what I liked.
Speaker 3: But it was also my.
Speaker 2: Tastes and what I really liked and everything, and you know, everything was quite like I guess yeah at that point, like and I was I'm was more new to songwriting, I guess, but like that everything was everything's quite like I don't know. I listened to it now and I'm like, but it was also my headspace. That's like everything's quite like there's like a dreariness to things, and I never wanted to like jump up or go big on something. It was like all like just like gott to be very like you know, like and I get and I get and that It's all about what your head space is in when you're making a record, right, like what you think you're like, what you allow where you like allow yourself to go and like where you are.
Speaker 1: Always want to put on Knocking on Heaven's Door. After just had that kind of open serial.
Speaker 2: I was with Brad Cook and I was like really obsessed with Brad Cook and he'd produced for Waxahatchie and there was a song there was a song called His Golden Messenger, I Buy his Golden Messenger called Cat's Eized Blue, and like that was like one of the times where I was like, Oh, that that song will fit this this that kind of like connects to this world. And and I was like, Oh, he'll never He'll never want to like work with me or like he's he does what I just I didn't have anything going with me. I had no label, nothing like and it's like he's would be like who are you? And luckily we had one friend in common, Dave Sitek from TV on the radio, who had been like working with for years and he's been like a buddy of.
Speaker 1: Have you made musical with Dave?
Speaker 3: Yeah, me and I know we've never released any of it.
Speaker 2: No. Me and Dave were like went to Texas one to like Reno one year and and made like you know, just like had made like bonfires and like hung out for like two weeks and and we just like talked so much and made so much music. But yeah, so I've not yeah known him for years and and Brad had produced one of his Neverly Boys albums. So so yeah, I kind of I think like I got I got Dave to you know, say, like, oh, she's she's like okay or whatever, she's like not she should you should work.
Speaker 3: You should do it with her. It will be cool.
Speaker 1: He gave you the stamp of a product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and we did and we did a bunch of stuff. We did like some production together as well at justin Vernham Studio in Wisconsin for this Reforto.
Speaker 3: Which was pretty cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is he around?
Speaker 3: No, he wasn't around.
Speaker 2: Now. We were actually meant to a session but he he canceled on me.
Speaker 3: So he was busy, he was sick. But we Yeah, I would love to work with him.
Speaker 1: Wow. So what So how much how many songs did you have you made with Dave?
Speaker 3: We have a Yeah, we have a bunch. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we haven't like managed to finish them actually or like we just I don't know, we've kind of like gone out. But he was sort of my gateway into I don't know, just like but Dave's like done.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's done so many cool things.
Speaker 2: He's like you know the yeah, yeah, yeahs. He did a lot of that early stuff. So like, yeah, I would always go around to his house and and and like sit with him, and he's he has like it's really like perspective, and you know.
Speaker 3: He's he's been through. He's been through it. He's been through like the music industry.
Speaker 2: He's he kind of he has a great like bullshit what's called barometer. Yeah, and and yeah, he like taught me a lot actually and kind of like invested a lot of time in me. But I think I met him from a cold email. I would just cold email people.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's really.
Speaker 3: Good, that's like, yeah, I did. And then I did that.
Speaker 2: Also, there was a bunch of stuff like that before, you know, before I had like a team or anything. I called emailed Belle and Sebastian and I went and made a song with them, which I put out recently, because once I got like a manager and team and I sounded kind of like like a year in I was like, oh and I have the song with Bell and Sebastian. They were like what, like, what do you mean, like you have.
Speaker 3: A song with them? Like yeah, yeah, like went over there.
Speaker 2: Once and we hung out for a weekend and made the song. So I ended up putting that song out called every Day's a Lesson in Humility. But that was like such a that was a song that we'd recorded like such a long time ago. It's funny, Yeah, it's funny. That was like, yeah, I guess I was like trying. I guess I was always trying to you know, that's just what you do. You're trying to just get in the room and be with people that are inspiring and yeah, because you just never know what's going to happen, of.
Speaker 1: Course, no, especially with people, especially those you know, those people those that's pretty yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah you want to like yeah yeah yeah, and things can Yeah. You just you're just it's like building a tap stream and and finding those people that yeah, because like you're nothing, you're you're you know, you're really nothing without like that like the yeah, the amazing collaborators that you have and the people that you that you want to like, you know that you that you want to hang out with for like weeks on end and ably and have like a and try and like make something together that you guys are super proud of.
Speaker 1: After this last break, we'll be back with the rest of my conversation with Suki Waterhouse. Here's the rest of my conversation with Suki Waterhouse. Do you know I'm gonna put you on the spot. Do you know if you've been on the radio? Is getting back together?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Actually, no, they are, Yeah, probably I think so. Maybe I don't know. I don't know that. Yeah, were getting back together? Right?
Speaker 1: Are you going to go see them?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I have to.
Speaker 2: I might. I just did a cover of Fairs the other day at All Point Season in London.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you do?
Speaker 3: I did Don't Look Back and Anger, which was so fun. It was so fun.
Speaker 2: But like the crowd in London just like, oh my god, it's just like amazing how everybody, especially in England, it just it just like does something to people where that everyone's just their music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: I like, I feel like it's going to be just like the best. It's going to be like us kind of winning like a huge football game or something.
Speaker 1: Winning a World Cup or something. Maybe not quite that.
Speaker 2: Long, not quite the level, but I think it's going to really do a lot for like making everyone really happy and like uniting the country, and it's going to be I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Yes you are.
Speaker 1: Also you were that that festival was a few days after you open for Taylor Swift Too, right in Wembley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was on the Saturday and then an All Point Seas was on the Sunday.
Speaker 3: So that was like really fun weekend.
Speaker 1: What a wild weekend.
Speaker 3: It was so good.
Speaker 1: What a crazy plane Wembley would just like that's that's insane. I think that's probably you know, people always talk about Madison Square Garden and there's different venues, but I don't know just I think that's because a queen. There's some great like Cross of Stills and Nash stuff those. I mean, just Wembley to me just feels like insane.
Speaker 3: You know, it's crazy. Yeah, it was insane.
Speaker 1: And it's Taylor Swift too on top of it.
Speaker 3: And like I've been to Wembley.
Speaker 2: I think I think it was like twenty seventeen or something, but I went to go and see a reputation there like a couple of years ago, and it was just like shaking my ass, like ah, you know, with my sisters and my friends, and I just yeah, you just couldn't have told me that that was ever going to happen, Like, I just it's just like what, it's nuts. And they have these like sliding doors and you walk out there and I kind of just you know, it's very strange to like the most amount of people I've probably ever played to is like maybe like Lolapalooza in Chile and Argentina, like maybe like maybe like ten thousand or something, and then you're in a stadium that's like got like about yeah, I think it's like ninety two thousand or something, and.
Speaker 3: There's yeah, yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It was like.
Speaker 2: The best thing about that was also just yeah, not only I mean like it's like going to one of your favorite shows ever.
Speaker 3: Like I've been to the Ariostool before. It's like such a fun night.
Speaker 1: So did you go to the other one blee shows like earlier years?
Speaker 2: I went to UH, I went to New York. I went to New York last year and it was so fun, Like it's so it's insane. And then also just getting to do that like with my family as well, Like my dad had kept being like because it hadn't announced for ages and I told him about it and he was like, I guess it's not happening. Then I guess, I guess it's I guess didn't have your right.
Speaker 3: It's sorry for you. And I'm like, no doubt it is happening.
Speaker 2: Like you know, they don't believe anything until it's like in until like their friends can see it or whatever, and like in like the press and I'm like the dad, I swear Something's like not yeah, what that would have been fun. I'm like, no, no, no, We're going to go to Wembley like it's it is.
Speaker 3: It is a thing.
Speaker 2: And then he was just kind of like, you know, it was like he couldn't he couldn't believe it. So like doing that thing, having that moment in your hometown with your family, with all your friends around, was like one of the coolest days of my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really wild. That is really it's really wild. Fun Wan circle back quick. You mentioned that you played piano and your partner played piano. Did you learn how to play piano through Daisy Jones?
Speaker 2: In this I mean, I like played a little bit before, but there's nothing like learning. Yes, being and like having a teacher for three hours a day and like actually, you know, really getting into it and doing like all the crazy shit that we had to.
Speaker 3: Do, which is what you had for We learned, like.
Speaker 2: You know, we learned like so many songs, and there was like a Beethoven thing at some point that they were like this is going to be You're going to be filmed doing like this big like piano moment, and I learned it for literally, I'm not joking, like yeah, like every day obsessively, obsessively obsessively and then they're like, oh no, we're actually not going to do that. So but it was like amazing because I got you know, I got to like do that and it was and also that like year coming up to that we had before that was COVID and everything.
Speaker 3: It was like, thank god.
Speaker 2: It was like the best thing ever to literally just do zoom practice.
Speaker 3: For like three hours a day.
Speaker 2: I was like obsessed and it was so great for me and writing as well to get so much better at it. Yeah, but yeah, I'm always like yeah, I'm always doing I'm still and now I'm like doing it all the time. I still have piano lessons and it's just good. It's just like the best thing ever to make you. It makes you. It's just like so therapeutic as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, do you do you primarily write on piano or guitar or do you not on an instrument? How are you?
Speaker 2: I probably right on usually I'm always right. I'm kind of like start going on guitar and like I'm okay at guitar, Like I can get through. But you don't, Yeah, you don't actually like I'll do piano or guitar. But I never like I never think you need you don't actually need to be like prolific in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: It's kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like some I think it's more it's like more the practice of just going with like going and actually sitting and like forcing yourself and being like you're not you're not allowed to leave, and you've got to like you've got to actually be present. And that's the way that I find out like what's truly on my mind?
Speaker 3: Because I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's very it's very easy to It's yeah, it's like a practice doing that because it's very easy to like not even know what you're feeling or what you're you know, when your life is just like going, is.
Speaker 1: It an outlet? For you, like, do you do that in other words, do you do that as a way of to just sort of decompress or is it with the purpose of, like I want to write an album or write some songs and see what comes out.
Speaker 2: Or no, because I don't think I'm ever like like i've I'm like, you know, in a way, I'm not. I don't really work where I'm like, I'm going to write an album, so I'm going to go and you know, I've got two months to make a record and that's where I'm going to write all the songs.
Speaker 3: So that sounds like absolute hell to me.
Speaker 2: It's like not what I would whatever want to be doing. I want to be like hit by something and be sparked by it and then go and write the song. And then if I like that, if that song is still coming back to me and it's still and I haven't like you know, if it's if it makes it at the end and I still am in love with it, then it you know, it's like you can, yeah, it has to like stay in my heart, I guess for a long time, but yeah I can't. I kind of am always in that writing mode in a way because yeah, not that I have like a song that I want to write about every day, like at all.
Speaker 1: But but you force yourself to sort of sit down quietly and yeah, work out some stuff and maybe someone comes out or not.
Speaker 3: It sounds like right, yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Some dedicated songwriting time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like that frustrating thing because you might you might also sit there and absolutely nothing comes out, and that's like, you know, it's like so you also can't be like have something come out. Like it's kind of it's just like about yeah, I guess it's like about trying to like shut off even whatever the hell you can distract yourself with. And I will fight with myself like it's you know, it's yeah, it's difficult to and a lot of the times it's like a yeah, it's like a moment or it's like a conversation about someone getting drunk or like did it. It's like a thing and I've got like okay, and now I've got to go and I want to go and write it and and get that out now because I'll like forget about it or I won't.
Speaker 3: It won't feel it feels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like these little moments where something I get like get like super sparked by by whatever it is. And I don't know, I think, yeah, I think I'm I'm quite like I'm definitely an artist that will go and look for things in all kinds of places.
Speaker 3: Like it's yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's that there's like so much and it and it also is like such a joy because if and it's always like bled in you know, it's always bled from fashion and film as well, and it and like and from like my own personal life very much so. But like it kind of all feels like very open and open to you know that it could that kind of something might come from from anywhere in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your videos are cool too. I actually really like you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I can't I can't wait for you to watch the new video I just made for Do you listen to that song model actress whatever?
Speaker 1: I was going to bring that up for it.
Speaker 2: I'm never been more excited about a video in my life. Like I feel like it's just like completely different from what I've ever done. It's really like taking the piss out of myself and in like a kind of very empowering way. But it's like genuinely really funny and I don't know, I've never done something that's like funny and it's got script in it, and like there's just like, yeah, I feel like there's like so much personality that comes out in it and kind of the yeah that I just quite got to put so much of myself into it. I really can't wait for you to see that one.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to see you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so like fashion what I was saying, it's like so much you know, there's so much that that I can pull from and bring into like creating like a world around the music, which is really like the most you know, like yeah, you want, you want the music to be awesome, but there's so much else around that little three minute song yeah that you're you know, that you're putting into making, yeah, making it an experience for people.
Speaker 1: It's cool the ye all these I mean, it's it's like you've kind of I mean, I guess you just you said you're taking like kind of like the piss out of you. First of all, when I.
Speaker 3: First take myself exactly.
Speaker 1: When I first heard your I think I didn't get hip to you till your first album and I heard Move and I was kind of done it, like I was the Susie Quadro line. I was like, I'm inn like this is like it was, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: That line was something that like I always have like little lines and all things you know that you write down on something, oh, something someone said to me, And that line was like I was backstage at a white stripe show like years.
Speaker 3: And years and years before and years ago there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I was, and I was wearing like some like leather thing and I was quite young, and Jack White like walked back, like walked past me and was like, oh, you look like Susie Quatro and that, and that was like I didn't know who Susie Quatro was, but I was like, I was like, who's that? And I like went home and got really into her music, and I was like, and you know, I wrote down like dear Harry.
Speaker 3: Like like Jack White said that I like Susie Quatrix.
Speaker 2: So I ended up like putting that in a song that was kind of about like a totally different thing about like a certain night that had with somebody who who didn't say that I looked like Susiequadron, but I had that line in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So sorry. That was a sidebar No, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: Jack White told me I look like Malcolm Glad very different. Jack White stories Susie Quadron, I love Malcai's a friend, but Jesus Christ, Suzi Quadrill is cool as hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was cool.
Speaker 1: That's that's it's incredible that came from from from him, from a from a Detroit No, the Detroit legend. But yeah, I was in. I was in at that. So I remember hearing that, heard that line, that's fucking incredible. I heard the rest of songs, songs amazing, heard the album, loved that album, and then I was like, looked at Hi. I was like, oh, I didn't. I didn't even know you were a model and an actress. But it's incredible that you have all these different sort of areas to play, being able to go do Daisy Joneson's six or whatever comes next in terms of your acting, and then go do an album. It's like if something ever gets frustrated and isn't fun anymore, you can kind of go focus on the other thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really I'm really lucky to have had that experience, especially like I mean, it's it felt like that to be honest with you, like who knows what the next few years will be like. And it was very unique the last couple of years to do to get to do such an amazing show, and then you know, when I even signed on to that show, I hadn't even made a.
Speaker 3: Record, so it was no, what did you sign on like January twenty twenty, Wow?
Speaker 1: Uh no, But.
Speaker 2: Before that and then and then we went to rehearsals, then everything closed down. Then we had to push for a year and made very record in between. Then when the world shut down, then we went back shot it. And the day Daisy Jones finished was when my record came out. And then we'd been acting going on tour, and then I went on tour. So it was a very unique, strange like that was like a very unique situation where like, oh, it's been like I feel like, yeah, when I look at like, oh, being able to act and do music and do that that I really think like the lost yeah, the last two it's a unique situation. And it was like it wasn't like very sustainable, Like I was waking up at like four in the morning doing interviews for the album.
Speaker 3: Release, like it was like incredibly hactic.
Speaker 2: It probably wouldn't like something that like that I don't think would work now, like especially now I have like a kid, Yeah, exactly. So it was very it was like a very unique kind of set of events and like and also like and kind of finally having that moment where I could where I could kind of where I yeah got it together to even like put a record out and like push myself in that way because I was yeah, I was like scared. I was like, yeah, it was really like a hell back for a long time because of like, yeah, I guess like a lot of like fear of and it's just timing.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes just suddenly something your your instincts suddenly go okay, it's it's time to. It's it's like time to, it's it's your you know. It's like a moment where and I had, yeah I had, I had low expectations and it turned out like better than I thought it would, which is cool. But you just never I don't know, you never know which way you're going in this crazy world that we are in. So yeah, it's been Yeah, I wouldn't It's not like yeah, I don't know if it will always be.
Speaker 3: Like you know, seems so seamless as well, you.
Speaker 1: Know, but also fil must have kind of be like a which ways up kind of thing too, like you know, in terms of you're on stage, and the performances in Daisy Johones and the Six were like incredibly like not realistic the word, but I mean they were incredibly convincing. You guys.
Speaker 2: They really made us like, actually do they like we We had to play every single note they wanted to. Yeah, they wanted the cameras, so we rehearsed hours and hours a day. They wanted the cameras to be able to roam and that you would be hitting the right note at the right time.
Speaker 3: So it was like they really weren't messing around.
Speaker 2: They weren't playing with us like they were like when we signed on, it was like this is going to be an incredibly intense like we want.
Speaker 3: Every you know.
Speaker 2: And that was kind of scary because at the beginning, I was like, you know, it's like a job interfere.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, we all were doing that.
Speaker 2: We were all like oh yeah, and then and then you know, you just but yeah, you and we come on.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's got such an amazing voice.
Speaker 3: Her voice is really really stunning, and she should really.
Speaker 1: She sounds great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she has like.
Speaker 2: An incredibly unique like she can really belt and it's beautiful, and she just knew what to do on stage, Like it was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It has to be in her DNA somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I mean everything, Like she's just like such an amazing actress and like such a fun human to be around, like everyone was.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so that was that was that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we kind of like knew going in that it was really going to be like that.
Speaker 3: You know, it was serious.
Speaker 2: It was boot camp and we did so much, so much work before we actually got on stage, but it was Yeah, it made it.
Speaker 3: It made it like so much.
Speaker 2: It made it like so rewarding actually and so funny as well to do that with a group of people, you know, like it's so funny to be like basically suck and like and all just like get better together and actually like by the end be like, yeah, we like we did this.
Speaker 1: You guys could actually do an album that wasn't the soundtrack.
Speaker 3: I know, it would be so fun. Yeah, it would be fun.
Speaker 2: We were trying to we were trying to go on stage and everything, and then there was like strikes and all kinds of things that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before you go, what what's the store? Lawsuit? Peacked my my?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, do you like it?
Speaker 1: I do? And then yeah, but like it was that was that? What I mean? Did it? Does that come up from your life or is it just I feel like that.
Speaker 2: One was like a cheeky like we wanted like a metaphor for like I can't Yeah, I kind of like love the idea of yeah, it's probably what you're going back to you like sounding quite mean, actually, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's like you're like, that's scary. That is scary.
Speaker 2: But I thought that word was quite like an entertaining kind of idea of like, yeah, all the girls lyning around the bathroom and like everyone's everyone's exchanging information and like there's a bunch of that like know, you know, we've all like got we've all like actually discussed what you're like, and we've got this like yeah, it's like a metaphorical kind of like we've we've got like the lawsuit of all the ship that you've that you've.
Speaker 3: Done, you know. Yeah, but that was Yeah, I don't know, I think like that kind.
Speaker 1: Of how did you hit on that as a metaphor sorry that kind.
Speaker 2: Of well, it was like kind of that sort of yeah, I guess I kind of wanted like a Chryl Crowe song. I think that was like where where I went to with that, like, you know, having that kind of like laid back. I love Lucinder Williams. I love like that plain song problem with It. That was like another so good Katie from Maxahachius and it's like the most beautiful song problem with It. But yeah, like something you know, and and like going on tour as well, like you start going, yeah, I don't know, like changed me a lot, like starting to go and do shows and you think, like you start going like what would be.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, good luck with that last suit you know you got.
Speaker 2: I just knew that kind of kept going around my head and I was like, oh, that's that would be like a really fun thing for people to pay for, for people to like be singing a show.
Speaker 1: That's pretty amazing. And I mean I was curious to also. I guess I was sort of curious too, Like just with your I mean there's so many I don't phrase other than I guess in acting, it feels like there's a lot of bad act bad actors, not in the actual acting sense. I mean people with bad intentions, right right, right, you can come across that, you can come across And I don't know much about the modeling world. I imagine that's there as well.
Speaker 3: Fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all fun, it's not all fucked It's actually not all fun.
Speaker 3: It's not all fun.
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: No, I think there's like I think it's there's like things. Yeah, I think there's like things that I don't know. It's kind of like, but I also think there's I don't know, we forget that there's like really fucked up stuff that goes on.
Speaker 3: And like working at MacDonald's too, it's like you know, like.
Speaker 2: There's so there's there's Yeah, there's fuck, there's functionhit everywhere. I don't know this, there's a there's like there's stories as old as the Tale of Time, isn't it with like in our industry and like, but I don't know. Do you don't think music industry is fucked up as well?
Speaker 3: Or it can be fucked up or they can be No, you don't think no, it can be No, it can be right.
Speaker 2: Like look at like the history of like what happens to musicians and like and how I don't know, I think you can get Yeah, I think, yeah, maybe it's like a difficult thing too. I think Schapel Warren spoke about it recently. I feel like do you remember she was talking about like she said something like, oh, people do very well when like there's sort of like no boundaries and you have to you kind of you get like worked into the ground or like you can do very well, but like you you personally will you know, it's hard to Yeah, maybe it's hard to like have that.
Speaker 3: I guess it's I guess only.
Speaker 2: You can go, hey, is it crazy that I haven't had like a day off in six months?
Speaker 3: Or you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like and and that's actually quite difficult to be the advocate for yourself to like be able to actually like live life. And but it's like so important, especially with especially with music, because if there's no if you're just like working all the time and and you're not actually going to get to go and like live life, like what the hell, you know, you won't have anything to.
Speaker 3: To write about.
Speaker 2: So there has to be like that that breathing that kind of like off time in a way. But yeah, you have to kind of like learn how to advocate for yourself, which is something which is difficult when you're when you know you want to do really well and you want to like please everyone around you and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: It gets easy.
Speaker 2: I think it gets Yeah, I don't know for me personally, it's got it gets. It just gets easier and actually more enjoyable as I get older, because.
Speaker 3: I'm better. You go, like, I've been around the block. I kind of know.
Speaker 2: I know what it looks like to to be working a lot and doing well and also be miserable, and like you know, you you kind of you you kind of like figure it out more more.
Speaker 1: You're doing a great job. I wish I knew how to say no other people and set more boundaries for myself. So I'm walking away.
Speaker 2: Do you feel do you feel like overworked? Do you feel like it's too everything's like a lot and we're in your workplace though we got it's like, yeah, actually this is insane a little yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You know, actually, but you know what what I get to do is, but it's it's it's and it's harder. But I was gonna say, what I get to do is fun and so I think it disguises a little more fun. Sometimes it's all about fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it is about That's why I'm I don't know. That's where I'm like trying to trying to go at the moment is like how actually, like sometimes you forget that things can actually be really fun and like it doesn't you know, it get Yeah, it feels like it gets more and more fun as like a sort of Yeah, you have like amazing collaborators around you, and you have like great people and you sort of can discern better and like what you know who and what you want to be around and.
Speaker 3: Like how you want to create.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something I think about and like maybe yeah, I don't have to be like tortured and crazy and fucked up to like make stuff, you know, and it can there's like it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it doesn't always have to be like that so much.
Speaker 1: That's the hope. That's the hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that's like that's like, yeah, I kind of have that on my album cover for Memoir of Sparkle Muff and I have like on the back cover it side there's like this orange red sort of like La glare, which is sort of like glamorous and like sinful, and I've got this like kind of diamond choker around my neck and it's like a cage. And and then the front cover is sort of this like I was like thinking about like that movie More Holland Drive and like you know, the car crash in there, and I've like come down the street and this glamorous dress and I'm I found this like kind of safe, cocooned oasis that I've like created myself. There's like two kind of like flip sides for like for like the memoirs. So a lot of the album kind of like almost is like dealing or like confronting that sort of like metamorphois.
Speaker 1: So are you the are you the Sparkle?
Speaker 3: Course? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it does it actually feel like a memoir? Does it actually feel like a memoir?
Speaker 3: And someone, Yeah, it does in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: I guess it's like yeah, it's I'm always like, so I just like love, I love like I just like love people's memoirs. I'm obsessed, like that is what I want to know about. I want to know about like real people's lives, Like like I love like the Jane Fonder documentary.
Speaker 3: That one was like.
Speaker 1: I was just talking about the other day I watched it. I mean maybe because it's a plane. I cried watching that.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, was wild because it's just like seeing her tapestry of her life and like how everything connected in the career and the different partners she had, and like just to be able to kind of like contextualize all that and see like the span of this like beautiful, amazing life that she's had.
Speaker 1: She's had one of the most incredible livesset and and and you think obviously with her father being who he was that you know, but the child I was just just broke my heart, you know that whole bit. Yeah, but you know, but then.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, isn't it. It's like I never knew anything like that about.
Speaker 3: About no clue about her, no clue.
Speaker 2: And you look at her and you're like, you're a fucking survivor, like and you thrive and the most.
Speaker 1: Fucking incredible people ever, you know what I mean, Like all the ship she did with Ted Turner and and and for for you know, for bringing in people even like that. Don't like, don't it's just like what in the do you wanna say? The workout videos, workout videos wild. I had no clue because I remember I remember my mom, Grandma's sad around the house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is it?
Speaker 2: You know, you know, the contacts behind it, the story of what's actually going on?
Speaker 1: Who knows?
Speaker 2: Very cool, incredible, like yeah, I love I love like her memoir. I really loved or like her documentary. There was a bunch. There's like a an artist called Duncan. Hannah was super inspired by his Like they're like his diaries from the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 3: These are so cool.
Speaker 2: It's just like like, oh, on Monday, like lou Reed walked in and like an interaction he's had with him and he kind of actually like paints him and not so much of a nice light, which is kind of fun because it's just exactly as it was happening. And like Liz Fair's book I really enjoyed. She wrote a memoir of called Horror Stories, which is like do you.
Speaker 3: Know about it?
Speaker 2: These very honest vignettes from like her life and as a rock star, and she's so honest and there's like, yeah, there's certain like chapters in that in that book where it's like it's kind of like shifting it almost like shit, you know when you read something and you're like, oh, like I'll almost I'll remember this when I'm thinking about doing this, or like, you know, it was so so beautiful. I love like Julia Fox's autobiography.
Speaker 1: I've never read that one.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant, Like yeah, it's absolutely brilliant, Like yeah, just to like have that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm not like ready to write my memoirs yet, but I definitely like that doing it in and in and.
Speaker 1: Out album will suffice for now. You've got a long way to go. Thanks so much for for for the music for the album, and uh and for for for.
Speaker 3: Talking about.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for Sukie Waterhouse for talking us through her new album My More Have a Sparkle muffin to hear that album and other songs of hers that we love, including songs that she loves you mentioned in this episode. Check out our playlist at broken record podcast dot com. Subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash broken record Podcast, where you can find all of our new episodes. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose with marketing help from Eric Sandler and Jordan McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Tolladay. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and ad free listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushing Plus on Apple podcast subscriptions. And if you like this show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app Our theme musics by Annibats. I'm justin Richmond.