Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, and we are saving the day here on Stuff you should Know.
Speaker 1: That's right, Chuck.
Speaker 2: I guess I just said that we're secure to save the day, and we are. We're going to talk about the Cajun Navy in a second, but before we do, we just got back from tour and you did something that I didn't do and I want to hear about it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, weh. I got tabbed to perform in the Hanging with Doctor z Show, which, if you don't know, it is comedian Dana Gould has a professional Doctor zayas a Planet of the Apes costume, nice and he just does a straight up late night talk show as Doctor Zaias. That's the only sort of wrinkle to it, and it's it's a lot of fun. And I was on. It's kind of a straight guy, you know, clearly wasn't the improvising comedian, but I did an okay job. But Dave Folly of the Kids in the Hall was there. Yeah, and Janet Barney, the Great Andy Daily, and I just got to tell you quickly about the night before in the hotel. Yeah, I was hanging out in the lobby with a friend of the show, Adam Pranica, and friend of your life and our good friend and booking agent Josh Lingren, having some drinks and all of a sudden, Cole, co founder of Sketch Best, walks over with Dave Foley and they all sit down and day Folly sits next to me and we have like a thirty minute conversation.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. And this is the night before, so when you guys were on stage together, you were like old pals.
Speaker 1: It was a familiarity built in. Dave Folly was the nicest sky you could ever imagine. That's so great, he asked him. He clearly had listened to stuff you should know because he said something about is Josh here, so he knows your name.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: And we're sitting there having a conversation, and all of a sudden, I look up and it's Scott Thompson and Bruce McCullough and Kevin McDonald man, and they all see Dave and come over, and this is the first time they'd seen each other. I mean, I don't know how long, but you know, they were doing a screening of brain Candy the next night.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 1: And so they were all just seeing each other for the first time that weekend, and they It warmed your heart so much seeing how much these guys liked each other and how they liked seeing each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that makes me really happy to hear that they're as great as they seem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was incredible. They were just they were hugging and laughing, and I'm looking across at lingern And and Adam and We're both have looks on her faces like what is happening right now? And Bruce McCullough had the one of the funniest lines I've ever seen, you know, how you just bag on friends as a as a rule. They're all standing around and laughing and Bruce McCullough goes, isn't it great that Mark isn't here?
Speaker 2: Mark?
Speaker 1: It was so funny, man, It was like the perfect line at the perfect and they all busted out laughing and I got to I got to kind of eavesdrop on their stories. And then the next night Scott Thompson telling stories. Today, Foley, I'm just like a fly on the wall trying to be invisible, just trying to soak in these stories about Lorne Michael's in the early days and like trashing hotel rooms, and it was it was just great.
Speaker 2: That's really cool man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that she could have been there. That was the only thing missing was you.
Speaker 2: I wish I could have too, And thank you for saying that. That's nice. But thanks for telling me all about it, and congrats on a great showing at the What is it hanging with Doctor Z?
Speaker 1: Hanging with Doctor Z? Dana's the best. He's so funny.
Speaker 2: Is it anywhere? Like somebody can see it online?
Speaker 1: I don't know if they. I don't think they shot video for this. I'm curious, But go watch episodes of Hanging with Doctor C. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, cool. Well, that was great. Thank you for telling everybody about it. And I guess now, let's you want to start the episode about the Cajun Navy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Not too long ago in an episode, we had a listener mail that referenced the Cajun Navy. It is not something that I had heard of, even though it has been sort of all over the news. But I don't watch news with my eyes and ears I generally read stuff, and I guess it just had never read anything about this, even though the Cajun Navy seems like have done a lot of great things, but there's also some criticism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good example of how absolutely everything in the United States can become politicized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good point.
Speaker 2: And it is like I get criticisms, I also get the praise as well, Like at the end of the day, these these dudes, as you'll see, are putting their lives on the line to help other people.
Speaker 1: That's right. What we're talking about is a group of men and women. Now there are many different groups, but it's been dubbed the Cajun Navy, and it sprang from Hurricane Katrina when they were like, hey, we need more help. We need help beyond FEMA in this case, it's so devastating. We know that you've got boats, you got airboats, and you have the will people of Louisiana, and the call went out and they people came to help and helped a lot, and they were dubbed the Cajun Navy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So although the Cajun Navy is we'll see, like as we understand it today, really kind of developed in twenty sixteen. Basically all the origin stories, all competing origin stories, traced through themselves back to Katrina. And that is a good place to start because that is one of the best examples of government failing it's people that has happened in recent history. The Bush administration, FEMA, like they just botched helping people, and so there was a really big vacuum that other people who were just basically moved to go help people who'd just been left behind, like, hey, good luck on your roof, hopefully everything works out. People got their own boats, they got their own trailers. They drove to New Orleans and got as close as they could. They put their boats in when they hit the water, and they went and rescued those people themselves. No one paid them, no one even really asked them to do this. They just knew that people were in trouble, they knew that they could help them. And so I think, as Governor Kathleen Blanco later said, when she was kind of talking about this retrospectively, she said, it was Louisiana people helping Louisiana people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, there were some asks and calls for help. There was a Louisiana State center named Nick Gautro, and he went on the TV in the radio during Katrina, and he said, hey, if you've got a boat, we need your help. There's a mall outside of New Orleans and Lafayette about one hundred and fifty miles away, and we could use some people. And he thought, maybe, you know, twenty thirty people might show up. Close to four hundred people show up, showed up, and they ended up forming an eight mile convoy of trucks and boats. And in the end, CBS News reports that they rescued ten thousand people during Katrina alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is where they were dubbed the Cajun Navy later on. But like, this is just it's astounding, Like from the outset, it was just just amazing, like just the number of people who shut up, the number of people they saved. And this is exactly the kind of thing that people love to read about, hear about, see about, because it's like, yes, people are still basically good. And then on the other hand, we also as a country in particular, love to start picking apart everybody, including heroes who selfishly act.
Speaker 1: That's right. The guy who would later become one of the founders of the United Cajun Navy, and like we said, there's a I think close to thirty or more people are groups organizations who have dubbed themselves some version of a Cajun Navy like this. Yeah, well we should point out that only three of those are nonprofits.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a big, big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a red flag in some cases. But this guy's name was Todd Terrell, and he owned a seafood business that was completely devastated during the first few days of Katrina. So he lost everything, and after that he didn't take his shrip net and go home. He said, I'm going to help rescue people, and so he kind of headed up a lot of this and ended up one of the actual founders of the United Cajun Navy, like I said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the United Cajun Navy's one of the big ones, maybe the biggest, definitely the most professionalized, and they are a five OHO one C three nonprofit. But the Cajun Navy moniker itself is shared by a number of different groups, like you said, And there's something about these people in particular that make them they have a very specific set of skills. I guess you could say one a lot of them are Cajun and grew up, spent their whole lives and still spend a lot of their time out on the bayou in boats that are designed to navigate obstacles in very shallow water.
Speaker 1: That is to say, airboats, airboats, p rogues.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's well those two. I think bass boats also, they use a lot of bass boats. So not only are their boats designed for this, they have a lot of experience they getting around a dumpster, but say in the form of like a cypress tree, and all of the knees like, they know what they're doing. They're expert boatmen and boat people. How about that? Yeah, and so there's a there's a really like big incentive for these to welcome these people because they know what they're doing. The issue is, as we'll see again and again, they are expert both people. They don't necessarily have search and rescue training. And that's one of the probably the biggest, most legitimate criticisms of the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, even though I was born in Katrina, believe he kind of hinted that twenty sixteen, during the thousand Year Flood of Louisiana, when thirty one inches of rain fell on Baton Rouge over the course of twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Insane.
Speaker 1: It was an incredible amount of rain, completely devastating. The first you know, when Katrina happened, that was pre smartphone twenty sixteen. That was the difference. Was all of a sudden, you had fifty six of Louisiana sixty four parishes were declared federal disaster areas, and you had a Cajun navy at work with smartphones and social media that could triangulate and who could posts like we need people here, we need people there. It became much more organized, much more cohesive in twenty sixteen thanks to you know, social media and smartphones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in particular an app called Zello.
Speaker 1: This sounds cool, I'm going to try this out with a fanly we.
Speaker 2: You should go check out the website for the app, like just there, you know, all the different bells and whistles that has it is nuts. So basically, Zello turns a cell phone into a walkie talkie. Even if you barely have a signal, you can use it. Like with a low enough signal that you couldn't make a call, you can still use your phone as a Zelo walkie talkie.
Speaker 1: So cool.
Speaker 2: It gets even better. It translates, you can speak and it will translate into another language that you select. You can coordinate with people who speak different languages. And all of a sudden, now all of these people who only had cell phones can now coordinate and organize and be much more effective than just like say, two guys in a boat and there's two other guys in a boat here. Now they're saying, well, this is where people need the most help. Let's send these guys out here because they're closest to go get those people. Like there was a completely different level of coordination and organization than in Katrina.
Speaker 1: Does it translate the Cajun accent?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say it, but yes it does. I will give you full reassurance.
Speaker 1: You know who could help us with that as their old buddy.
Speaker 2: Doug, right, Doug Shashery. Yeah cheshree.
Speaker 1: We've met him backstage are two New Orleans shows. What a good guy.
Speaker 2: He treats us so well. He brought us budan m hm, and we just went to town on those things. Yeah, so good sausage balls, right, Yeah, that's what it is, right, Freddie Gravy sausage balls. They're amazing.
Speaker 1: It's so good. The Cajun Navy these days, though, is a big deal. Like you said, like the three like super legitimate. And I'm not saying that none others are doing good work, but the three nonprofits are like big, big time. They have multimillion dollar budgets. Now, they have chapters all like even in Hawaii, they have them all over the country, and they are funded by charitable donations. They're staff by volunteers. And that seems like a good time for a break, good intro, I agree. All right, it's an early break, but we'll be right back. All right, we're back, and we're gonna talk about the credo of the Cajun Navy, because if they're known for one thing, that is like don't wait around and just say people just get things done. And their credo is it's unofficial, but it seems pretty official is act first and deal with the consequences later.
Speaker 2: Right, which, on one hand is like, yep, if you are stuck on your roof, that is the kind of person you want to come get you. You don't want them to filling out forms to get permission to come rescue you from your roof, right, that's right. On the other hand, there's reasons for regulations safety for everybody there, there's reasons for government in that sense. Right. This is where this is where the kind of breakdown starts to occur.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's start with the good of acting first. You're going to rescue a lot more people, a lot quicker. You're going to get food and aid to people a lot quicker. A very great example of this was Hurricane Harvey, the Category four that dumped sixty inches of brain in Texas over of course of four days. It was completely devastating, apparently the wettest costly as hurricane in US history. And because of what happened in twenty sixteen, I think they felt like, hey, the call is coming now from Texas. There was a call specifically in one case that was a nursing home in Port Arthur that was underwater. Cajun Navy volunteers rushed out there. They got there, they found, you know, people not able to get out of their wheelchairs, stuck up to their knees, and sewage water they hadn't eaten since at least the day before. They were hydrated. Many of them were confused and it kind of came literally to blows when a Navy volunteer named Ben Husser went to get these people out, and the director was like, our corporate policy, sir says, it has to be a national guard evacuating us.
Speaker 2: Right, And so ben Husser said that he beat the hell out of this guy. He drew has gone on him at one point to basically say, you need to get out of my way because we're evacuating these elderly patients. So you're clearly neglecting. And they did. They ended up they ended up evacuating this group of nursing home patients, got them to I think a bowling alley or a movie theater, both which were turned into basically emergency centers for people shelters. And this was like, this story is tailor made for social media, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons why it's taylor made for social media is because it only presents one side, and it presents like what seems like the morally correct approach to this situation. Just like anything, there's another nothing is black and white. And so this nursing home director, in one sense, yes, he was following his corporate orders that he was not supposed to let anybody else evacuate the patients, but he was responsible for these patients. On top of that, there are studies that show that evacuating elderly and medically frail people can actually be deadlier than having them shelter in place. That's even if you're evacuating them ahead of a storm. This was in the middle of a storm that these elderly and medically frail people were evacuated. And then thirdly, these Keijun Navy guys showed up. They don't have like id cards that say Cajun Navy signed by the Governor of Louisiana. They're just some dudes that showed up, one of which pulled a gun on the director of the nursing home and said, we're getting these old people who you're responsible for out of here. Get out of our way, or we're going to beat you up and shoot you. So like to this is the Cajun Navy is just such a great flashpoint because it's so easy to almost cartoonize what they're doing, for better or worse, and just completely ignore the reality of the situation. And I think in that sense it's just so worth talking about because it's an exercise, and how how much emotion and just dumbness we put into evaluating stuff, and how tribal that stuff makes us, and that this is a great example of saying, here's something people are doing, here's the problems with it. Let's figure out how to work everything out together so that they can still save lives without the downsides that are clearly inherently posed in this.
Speaker 1: That's why this.
Speaker 2: Cajun Navy story is so I find important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And you know, as far as kind of seeing it both ways, that happened all the way up to the top of the ladder. Donald Trump became very sort of, I guess, briefly attached to John Bridges, a founder of the Cajun Navy, specifically Cajun Navy twenty sixteen, which is its own group, invited him to the State of Union address in twenty eighteen, had them up there. When the Houston Astros visited the White House after they won the World Series, he called out the incredible Cajun Navy. And then, you know, on the other hand, was quoted as sort of saying like, hey, you know, stay in your boats, like these guys are out here trying to impress their wives and let the professionals do their work. And I think that just kind of illustrates how each side has a leg to stand on, you know, like, sure, you want to rescue people, but as we'll see, you know, the rules and regulations are there for a reason. But sometimes it's just dumb red tape. It's like it's hard to kind of come down for me on hard on one side or the other, because on one hand, you have a group that a lot of this comes from sort of an anti government sentiment, if not anti government, maybe be very distrustful of the response to natural disasters. But then when you see botched responses, you can see where they're coming from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, as far as how these people's direct experience with FEMA was in Katrina, I think George W. Bush put it best when he said, fool me once, Sha, shame on you fool me, you can't get fooled again. And that's essentially what happened. FEMA fooled them once and they have never forgotten it.
Speaker 1: I thought that was Roger Daltrey.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that was pretty folding.
Speaker 1: Here's a quote from the vice president of United Cajun Navy, another group, Brian Trasher said, Katrina is what ultimately showed us in the world that really people, even in the richest country in the world, people cannot rely on their government to save them from the weather. If a flash flood hit your house and all of a sudden you're on a roof, you're not looking around for FEMA because they're nowhere around. And a lot of the this goes back to not just a distrust of the official systems, but sort of the shame of a nation, a nation like you got, the richest country in the world that's not able to save their citizens from a flood, or people that need to rely on the donations of their friends and neighbors to get over cancer without bankrupt erupting them, you know right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's definitely a supported insupportable viewpoint for sure. How about this, We'll take a break and we'll come back and we'll talk some more. How about the Cajun Navy.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: So, Chuck, I think you mentioned that twenty sixteen was a really pivotal time. Those floods in Baton Rouge. Yeah, where a bunch of different groups that present themselves as Cajun Navy groups formed and As some of these groups really started to emerge, in particular Cajun Navy Relief and United Cajun Navy, they started to organize. They started to form five oh one c threes and accept donations and show up more and more frequently at natural disasters. They started to get more pushback. It went from just some guys with boats to this is an actual organization showing up right, and what they're you know, they're organizing, they're helping, but they're still as far as we the people who are professionals at this stuff are concerned, just some guys with boats. And there was you know, I guess tension that started to arise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Amanda Faulkner was a spokesperson for the Coast Guard. I believe that said, you know, we have plenty of boats. We don't need more boats. The Coastguard has all the boats that we need. We know when it's safe to get them out in the water. At one point, do you become a liability? Is basically what people started asking. Or when are you in the way, when are you creating an unsafe situation? Or like you said with the people in the retirement home, like maybe you know if there were fifteen of them, maybe thirteen of them. That was great to get them out of there, but what if two of them had very adverse health outcomes because of that rescue?
Speaker 2: Right, And also you have not received medical training to evacuate people. The National Guard who are supposed to evacuate these people do get medical training. Like, there's just a lot of arguments that you can make against it, and some government agencies have started to make those arguments against it, and you can say, well, yeah, these guys are upset that their turf is being stepped on, and even worse, they're being made to look ineffective, right and caring and just basically concern with bureaucracy not saving people's lives, which is what the Cajun Navy is all about.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and especially if it's a situation where you're rescuing people in Louisiana and a group of Cajuns on an airboat show up, they may be just innately more trusting of them than when the FEMA truck pulls up, you know, yeah, for sure, like their locals. And you know, conspiracy started springing up that like FEMA was actually I think this was in Heleen, Yeah, and Helene in twenty twenty four started in Florida, went up through the East coast into the Appalachian Mountains, killed a lot of people, two hundred and fifty people, and I think it was the deadliest hurricane since Katrina. And this is when conspiracy started to spring up in words getting around that FEMA is using the governments using this as a chance to seize your property so they can have and own your land.
Speaker 2: Right And just like how in twenty sixteen, social media helped a lot of the Cajun Navy organize and be more effective. This is a great example of how social media helped the whole system just break down all the more completely. Because if you have people who actually believe that these government agents who are now there, like I saw a FEMA truck femas here, that they're actually going to try to steal your land, maybe kill you, like and you're already under the stress of your houses underwater because of the natural disaster, that's going to create a climate that you don't really need. That's not the Cajun Navy's fault. You can't really lay that on them. The point is that in that kind of climate, they become all the more vital, But at the same time them pointing out the failures of the government just by them existing becomes all the more pronounced as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and boy, I hope what doesn't happen is that the Cajun Navy doesn't roll in here and disparage or more organized governmental efforts at the same time.
Speaker 2: You know, the ones that I saw, the ones that like you could feel comfortable donating or good about donating to, don't. Okay, No, that's actually a pretty good sign. I think if you actually are looking at a Cajun Navy to donate to, and they do that, then you should probably keep walking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you look at the you know, the sort of more official, organized ones, they they do try to work with FEMA. They're not combative. Sometimes they do work around FEMA if they think that it is holding up a legitimate rescue or aid coming to someone. But Todd Terrell said, you know, we try to work with the government as best we can, but the government can't do what we do. FEMA's not designed to do what the Cajun Navy does. And that's you know, that's a fact. It's it's a quicker moving, quicker operating. You know, they make the point that somebody with a laptop or a or a satellite phone and the Cajun Navy can get supplies there a lot quicker than going the official route.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, like you you could say, hey, we have a whole bunch of bottled water we want you to take with you when you take your boat to go rescue people, and that aid that you sent to those people in need could get them in a few hours rather than having to go to a warehouse, be put on a truck and then the truck has to deliver supplies like it's it as agile as they say in like the project management world. And that's a huge bonus, I mean, in addition to the fact that these these people are risking their lives to save other people for no compensation whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an article in GQ by Miriam Markowitz who kind of affirmed what we were saying about. You know, it just shows like people love to have faith in like regular people, and they love the hero stories. But points out I think the quote is for our efforts to be effective, they need to be large scale. Systemic heroism can't be the exception in a civilized society. And it shouldn't be financed by micro donations through GoFundMe campaigns. We pay taxes for firefighters and police because we can't bank on the whims of our neighbors to save us. And it's these institutions that have cracks that need to be shored up along with some local volunteer efforts.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, yeah, but those institutions that we pay for through our taxes, like we're owed them to be effective in response. Yeah, But at the same time, when those things work correctly, that is something that can give the entire nation a sense of pride, right, And just the same way that stories about everyday people joining the Cajun Navy saving other everyday people saving their lives. Literally, they give you like a reaffirming faith in humanity. If FEMA had showed up and saved everyone in Katrina, that would have given everybody a reaffirmed faith in like the collective good of say, like an organized government, right, right, or maybe even like a sense of patriotism. That's not what's been happening, right, So that's where the breakdown is. I think that Markowitz is saying is that our government's failing, and then the presence of the Cajun Navy is just pointing this out even worse and then worse than that if we come to rely on essentially crowdsourced or vigilante forms of like supportive efforts, whether it be say a fire department, you know that just basically is a bunch of guys who who come out on Saturday nights, but not on Tuesday night if your house is on fire, to say, like the Cajun Navy, who may or may not make it out to the natural disaster in your neck of the woods, Like, you just can't. You can't rely on people. They're not These people have jobs, they have families, they have stuff they have to do. They're not getting paid for this, so you inherently can't rely on them. Even though they are reliable people, you can't rely on them in every situation. That's why we have these institutions. That's why these institutions have to be, like you said, said, shored up and step up so that we don't need the Cajun Navy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean. One of the criticisms or potential criticisms, is that it might discourage evacuation if the storm is impending and people knew from the news or social media that like, hey man, you're on your roof, the Cajun Navy will be there, toot sweet and get you out of there with a bottle of water in their hand. A lot of people might like not follow evacuation orders because they're relying on something that may happen, but it may not. But you could also say the same for the government institutions.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, apparently you really, as a government spokesperson shouldn't say like it's going to be worse than this last storm or it's as bad as say this last hurricane, because people will be like, oh, I didn't evacuate, I made it to fine, you know, so yeah, you can definitely misstep. That's I think getting people to evacuate it's got to be one of the harder things you could possibly do.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Another criticism is that, you know, when you've got people in there, all there's more people on the scene, it could create confusion and maybe even hazardous situations, and perhaps even a situation where you're needing to then rescue people from the Cajun Navy who have run ashore or whatever happened that was bad for their efforts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a rumor that's not true that some Cajun Navy people showed up to help after her during even Hurricane Michael and got stranded in a hotel and had to be rescued, and they did have to write out some of the storm in the hotel, but they didn't need to be rescued, and they left from the hotel to go help people. So it seems I couldn't find any instance where somebody who was in the Cajun Navy needed to be rescued themselves. And that seems like the kind of thing that would have made news everywhere if that had happened. So it seems to be like a theoretical issue, right that hasn't happened, but could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's also like, hey, we rescued ten thousand people in Katrina, but this group of six needed some help themselves. It's sort of a flimsy argument, you know. Yeah, it's not like every every part of the Cajun Navy all of a sudden all needs rescue as well. You know, like maybe that kind of thing could happen, but on a pretty small scale.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Another one is that it just straight up encourages vigilanteism or vigilanism. Yeah, and you know, on the one hand, if the government institutions were there, the Cajun Navy wouldn't necessarily be there because they wouldn't be needed. So there's you know, there's a place for this. But on the other hand, even if it's morally correct in an instance, you don't you do not want to encourage vigilanism in any form whatsoever, because that is a major facet of mob rule, and you don't want mob rule. So even though this is this makes a lot of sense, you can make a really good argument that if you look far enough down the road, it's not because how long would it be potentially and theoretically before say a Cajun Navy guy takes it on himself to start looking for looters and he starts patrolling things with looters and he starts shooting at looters. Yeah, this is not this guy's place to shoot at looters, and yet he's taking it upon himself. Like, again, this hasn't happened. It's theoretical. But the point of is that encouraging any form of vigilantism can have these knock on effects. That says, well, if you're willing to let people do this. This makes sense too, so let's start doing this as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's sort of I could see that happening because we've seen it happen with the strapped neighborhood watch situation. Sure, and it's not hard to draw a line there, So yeah, I see where you're coming from. My big thing is like to think about the legal liabilities. I don't know how it works. When you're an official nonprofit with multimillion dollar budgets, you're way more official. But what if you're just one of these other sort of startup Cajun navies and something happened where you cause the loss of life or you cause something terrible to happen. Like the liability, the legal liability, and the just the sort of ethical and moral liabilities, they're pretty tremendous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think people who are like say working for a state agency or a government agency or like the National Guard, they are immunized from civil lawsuits for like they if somebody gets injured while they're rescuing them, you can't sue that person. That's not true for the Cajun Navy. And that's actually one argument for solving a lot of these problems is enticing them to kind of become more part of the larger search and rescue community that responds to natural disasters, to coordinate more with them. Still, yeah, the occasion Navy, but come here and get training, Come here and figure out how you can coordinate with us for all of us to be the most effective, and in return, will extend this legal immunity to you when you're in these natural disaster areas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then the headline as government ruins Cajun Navy.
Speaker 2: Right, I think that's why there's some resistance to it. But the I believe both the Cajun Navy Relief and the United Cajun Navy both require their members to undergo training. Yeah, like official training, I believe, and they do, like you said, tend to coordinate with responders more than just like go out and say the hell with you, I'm going you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm sure as they I mean, this was not that long ago that all this started up. I'm sure as it grows, if it's allowed to grow, it will become more rigorous in the training. And you know, because they're ought to do good they want to do good things, and they want to solve problems on the ground, so they're not like, yeah, we don't need no training, you know, like, I'm sure, given time and you know, the donation of funds coming in, they're trying to do just that, I imagine.
Speaker 2: Right. So there are again I think you said most of them are for profit, there's some that are nonprofit. And two rise to the topic again, United Cajun Navy and Cajun Navy Relief. On Charity Navigator they have eighty five and an eighty seven rating, respectively, which is pretty good. Charity Navigator says, you can give You can donate to this these groups with confidence, right that they're going to use your money Wisely, I didn't see on Cajun Navy Relief, but I'm guessing it's the same United Cajun Navy. They're officers. The people who run the show get zero dollars compensation. Wow, So you don't like there's there are groups of these people who are genuinely dedicated to this, who are doing it right, then there are others who are like getting arrested for fraud. So do your homework before you make a donation. But if you feel moved to donate, go donate. But just do a little bit of research first. Don't listen to somebody on the internet who says, you know, stay away from this group because this group's better. Go do your own research and charity Navigator is usually a pretty good place to start. Yeah, totally, you got anything else?
Speaker 1: I got nothing else. This is a rare shortsh long or exercise short.
Speaker 2: Nice, We'll put Chuck. Yeah, since Chuck said what he just said, I think it's time for listener ma'am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna for we go listener mail this week, just because we wanted to get a quick moment. We just got back from our first tour in a year and a half, back out on the road doing shows in Denver and Seattle, Washington, and San Francisco, California, and just wanted to thank everybody at the Paramount Theater in Denver, the Paramount in Seattle, and the Sydney Goldstein and SF sketch Fest, who always does such a great job. I feel like we don't often thank the people there that put these shows on, and the crews were all great. The people that came out to see us, thank you so much. It's hard to part with the dollar these days, I know, times are tight, so we really really really means a lot that you would spend some of your money to come out and hear us talk for a couple of hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your time, and yeah, just leaving your house as ordeal these days anyway. So yeah, we genuinely appreciate everybody who came out and like that was really a great way to get back on the road after eighteen months. You know, it was a great welcome back, So thank you guys.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of fun. The show is really fun and great. And we say this also as a reminder that we'll be doing shows in Madison, Wisconsin, Chicago, and Akron, Ohio before hitting the road for Canada this summer, and there's still plenty of great seats. And like I said, it's a fun show. There's a lot of bad stuff in the news going on, and it's nice to go sit around for a couple of hours with a bunch of curious, smart, compassionate people, which is the stuff you should know, Army.
Speaker 2: That's right, well, put chuck, Yeah, if you want to get tickets or whatever, I think we basically have like a clearinghouse on stuffishould know dot com and you just click on the on tour tab and it will take you to Heaven Yay. If you want to get in touch of this in the meantime, you can send us an email. We always love it when you send us an email. Send it off to stuff Podcasts at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.