Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports.
Speaker 2: Radioh we made it to a Friday. We made it to the final hour of a Friday. It's a meat Friday. It's a different meat Friday. Maybe it's catered towards one Dan end General Sal's chicken beef and Broncoli pork fried rice beef lo Maine. Who has it better than we do? No mody body, Yeah, Fritzy all of a sudden going out to check on the food, and all of a sudden he's trying to I see you, Todd. There's cameras everywhere. Okay, so when you go out there and you try to take a little sample there, I'm watching.
Speaker 3: Like yesterday when I took a Deli sandwich, ina and a bagel and a half while I thought everybody was kind of busy doing work during a break, hoping no one saw that with cream chies and butter all over my cheek.
Speaker 2: No, there's cameras all Oh, there's thirteen cameras in here.
Speaker 4: There's a bunch of cookies back there too, and I might have did it there.
Speaker 2: You can have the cookies. You're fine with that. By the way, you can follow along with our bracket challenge at Fox Sports Radio dot Com. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America Official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Went to dinner last night. All of a sudden, I get an email, and then a follow up email, and then there's another email, and I'm going, this is from Todd. Why didn't go into the email? I just thought, Okay, maybe this is to do with today's show. Since Paulie's not here, Fritzi is taking over the executive producer role. And then I go in and I see the correspondence with the actress Jennifer Lawrence's agent or representative publish in the back yeah, and the back and forth, we find out that they are big fans of the show. Fritzi tried to reach out to Jennifer Lawrence see if she wanted to be part of the Bracket challenge, and they were very nice with their correspondence. So now, Todd, you maybe next year we get Jennifer Lawrence and she's from Kentucky. She grew up with basketball, so maybe she fills out a bracket with her husband.
Speaker 4: I did go through the stop sign a little bit, just to truth be told.
Speaker 3: After she said that note saying you know that there was some I guess whatever the family situation was, And I got a note saying.
Speaker 4: That, dear lords, he's on leave, but maybe down the road.
Speaker 3: Glad you're a fan, like you know, kind of like pump the brakes. It could be several months before we could even you know, consider reaching her to us if.
Speaker 2: She'd did they really see your lord?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hot, yes, lord.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's not a good that's not a good response, by the way, but Todd listed all of her movies. He said, you know, we're big fans, and then there's like seven or eight movies that he's listed as if her publicist needs to be reminded of what her resume is. Well.
Speaker 3: But between two Ferns with Zach Galapanakis, I gave the whole script to her just to let her know that we thought that was funny about your off putting.
Speaker 4: You should be off putting because you're fat. Thought that was really funny.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle, the TP show the Pirates Rookie of the Year. Paul's schemes will join us the Big ten four to oh in the tournament. Thus far, Big East three and oh sec four and three, and then you have the ACC one in two Mountain West oh and two. There is a little bit of conversation about the Big East and the ACC combining talents here, which you know, you're seeing this with what happened with some of the schools in the Big twelve. Saw this with the PAC twelve. You're you kind of not divide in conquer, you want to add in conquer. And maybe the ACC trying to figure this out. Uh, don't think they got to handle on it yet, but maybe bringing in the Big East with the ACC and maybe you have something there. But a lot of tournament action last night. Kentucky was the pre season number one team. They lost in the round to sixty four. And now Kansas, I should say, preseason number one and then they lose. They haven't been as formidable as we've expected Kansas to be since twenty seventeen. And with Bill self, how much longer is he going to do it? But they got humbled, they got beat by Arkansas, and of course you can't spell Arkansas without Kansas. How about that? Marvin yeah loop now yeah, oh I get a blue wow? Yeah? Oh, Todd, you should have thought of that. That's that's worthy of a book. But Kansas, Wow, don't make me come crowd hit you. Yeah, all right, so uh acc one and two the Mountain West, oh Win too. We'll talk to Steve Lapis, one of the analysts for CBS. He does a great job, and it feels like every year when I listen to him, I say, we should get Steve Lapis on. And then yesterday I said to Fritzy, I'm remembering it now in real time. Let's get Steve Lapis on. He has passion and uh so he had Saint John's winning and he had the Arkansas game as well. So Steve Lapis will join us coming up Paul Schemes. He is one of three MLB The show twenty five cover athletes. This is the twentieth anniversary honoring two decades of baseball history. Elie de la Cruz and Gunner Henderson are on the cover as well. The Pirates Rookie of the Year joining us on the program. What did you learn from your rookie year or what do you wish that you had known in your rookie year or when you were in the college minor leagues coming up to the pirates.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, the biggest thing I learned from getting to the big leagues is that the game is a lot more similar than I thought in terms of the actual the baseball, you know play. Everything that's added on makes it a lot harder. So traveling cross country we had a couple of cross country flights last year. Our travel within the division's pretty good, you know, our hour long or less than an hour long flights for the most part within our division. But still, I mean, you got the media in the in the locker room every day. The food is different. It's it's better, but there's more of it, so it's easy to you know, overindulge. Just a lot of a lot of little stuff like that that makes it, uh just makes it makes it different and probably makes it a little bit harder.
Speaker 2: What's the strangest thing you've thought of while you were on the mound?
Speaker 6: Man, probably like doing math problems or something like that. I don't know if you've ever seen I think it was Major League or Major League two. The catcher is is, you know, learning to get over the yips, and he like memorizes a playboard magazine or something like that, And I do that with math problems rather than you know, playboard magazines.
Speaker 2: But how does that help you?
Speaker 6: I mean, because it's it's very so it's very easy to like focus too hard and try to execute a pitch, you know, and then you just completely sail it or like pull a slider or sail a heat or something like that. So like having your mind not you know, solely focused on on that pitch. It like a little bit of distraction is sometimes a good thing.
Speaker 2: Give me the guy that you keep an eye on in the on deck circle that you know he's coming to the plate.
Speaker 6: It's probably one per team. Usually it's like the three hitter or something like that. Maybe it's to a team, it's because we kind of like bucket hitters a little bit to where we can pitch them similarly to get them out. But there's always like one guy in the lineup that's like, hey, this guy doesn't beat us. So I mean it's the one Soto's the day, Ellie Daily, Cruz, Cody Andrew, those types of guys.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know they're coming out.
Speaker 2: What do you do when you disagree with your catcher?
Speaker 5: Just shake?
Speaker 6: I'll wear a pitch com too, and and I'll punch it. In sometimes, but yeah, just shake there. There are no hard feelings there.
Speaker 2: But you have final say yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean if I my experience is generally, if I throw a pitch that I don't wholly believe in, uh, it doesn't end well. So I have to, you know, throw pitches that I believe in out there with you know, full conviction, and that it generally ends ends pretty well.
Speaker 2: But when you give up a big hit or a home run in college, it's one thing. But when you have thousands and thousands of people and you know it's going to end up on Sports Center, Like, how do you process that differently? If you can then when you were in college and you gave up a home run?
Speaker 5: Yeah, honestly. And I think this is probably more of a change for me.
Speaker 6: But I think I took it, like, took it harder, took it, took it more personally when I was in college than I do now. And I think there are probably a couple of reasons for that. I've I think I've matured grown up a little bit. But also, uh, we get to do it more often now in college. It's like, you know, the SEC is the biggest thing in the world and nothing else matters like, that's that's the that's what they feed you, right. So when I give up a home run at Ole Miss and the beer's flying everywhere, like it feels like the end of the world a little bit more than it does now. When I give up a home run and you know, Dodger Stadium or something like that, it's just and I think I think part of that's because it's it's so routine now, but I think a lot of it's because I've just like grown up to.
Speaker 2: Talking to Paul's schemes and he's one of three MLB The show twenty five cover athletes, You've got Gunner Henderson and Ellie Dela Cruz tell us about the honor. How'd you find out?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can't remember exactly when I found out. There's something that I think, you know, we were in the talks for for I don't know, probably the last summer, last September around there kind of blends together when we're in season. But it was cool when I, you know, found out that it's, you know, no kidding happening. I mean, definitely some satisfaction there is. It's it's pretty cool. I've you know, grown up seeing you know, the cover athletes of the show and and seeing the game. It's been a huge part of a lot of people's childhood.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 6: As like the game that they want to play when they when they get to play video games. So gamer of I'm not. I'm not really a gamer at all. So yeah, So the only time I would play the show because I never had a PlayStation or Xbox or anything. Uh, And the only time I would play the show is when I like went to you know, my buddy's house or something like that and they had it. But I've always been terrible at it. And if I'm the kind of person like, if I'm not good at something, I just won't I'll just stop doing it. Yeah, I'm the I'm gonna take my ball and go home type of guy.
Speaker 2: How territorial are you when it comes to the SEC, whether it's football fourteen schools are in the NCAA tournament the baseball with the SEC? Are you annoying to be around when it's conversations about the SEC?
Speaker 6: Now, because I'm a I'm a baseball guy first, football, I could kind of care less about I mean, I'm a true believer that because I'm an SEC guy. But I'm a Mountain West guy too, and I'm a true believer that the Mountain West just breeds winners. So I'm probably more territory about the Mountain West because it's not a you know, people don't people don't know about the Mountain West. But that's where that's where champions are made. I believe that.
Speaker 2: Okay, But you're in Pittsburgh. They love their football there. Do you go to gat you care about? Do you go to games?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: But I mean because I look at college baseball and call and uh and pro baseball is two different sports. I I I never played football. I don't understand what's going on out there. I know that you're supposed to move the ball down the field, but I viewed college football and pro football is two different sports too. So I've gone to a Steelers game. It was it was really cool. I want to go back. I'm a Steelers fan, you know now bleed black and gold.
Speaker 5: So but yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: They're fun to. The games are fun to go to.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna be okay with the automatic strike zone?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Hey, it's not in there this year, So I'm I'm happy with that. I haven't I haven't challenged anything this spring. It's not going to be in there this year. When it comes it comes. I I like the human aspect of the game because I think that, you know, there are games where the umpire zone is big and there are games where the umpire zone as small. Obviously catchers, you bring in the automatic strike zone, then it completely devalues framing, which you know, effectively eliminates the catching position. So I have mixed feelings towards it. I do like the human aspect of the game, but there's definitely something to be said about, you know, being objective with the strike zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when you're at the plate and all of a sudden there's a you know, a star pitcher and he gets a call, you're okay with that and it's not a strike, but because of who he is, Justin Berlander is going to get that call.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean, I prefer it that way. I don't have to hit anymore.
Speaker 2: Do you want to hit?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: Maybe BP occasionally, but I don't want to face Justin Berlander. I don't want to face anything other guys. They're too they're too uh, they're too good.
Speaker 2: If you were building the perfect picture, so you gave me fastball, slider, curveball, change up. Who's using your fastball?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd like to think all four of those are, you know, mine, but uh, let's just not the taste.
Speaker 2: But you think that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean because you can't use my fastball with like because I would say, like my fastball and Clayton Kershaw's curveball or something like that, but like we're the exact opposite pitchers. Basically, I'd like to thank my fastball Kershaw's curveball for sure, just to straight up and down curveball, change up, Scooball those are two lefties. Slider man, there's so many good ones. I think a nice like for for me, like a downer, a downer slider, like a de Gram, like a shorter downer slider, because that's something I don't have.
Speaker 5: But there's I mean, strider's slider.
Speaker 6: There are so many, so many ways, so many different ways to have a good slider, though so specifically a slider.
Speaker 2: It's amazing that these guys can hit this stuff. I mean, they talked about hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do, and they're guys that are hitting one hundred miles an hour. And it's like, so what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't I don't know how they do it. I'll let them do it. That's why I'm not going to try to try to get back in the box.
Speaker 5: UH.
Speaker 2: Congratulations Opening Day, Congratulations on MLB the show that's the UH cover with Elie Dela Cruz, Gunner Henderson and UH this is on a the twentieth anniversary of that. Great to talk to you again, Paul, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Paul skeins pirate Rookie of the Year last year, and I think he's working on a couple of new pitches that ought to please the rest of the hitters in baseball. We'll take a break, we'll talk about your brackets. Coming up Steve Lapis, he's an analyst for March Madness and he'll join us here. Coming up next Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world, sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: It was on this date in nineteen fifty nine that California beat West Virginia for the NCAA Championship. Jerry West played for West Virginia. He didn't win the title, but he was still named the most outstanding player. Jerry was also I think the MVP of an NBA Finals when the Lakers played the Celtics. I'm sure that Jerry West doesn't like that distinction. Rest in peace, but imagine you're so good, you did everything you could possibly do, you just didn't win. So I think nineteen sixty nine he was the MVP of the NBA Finals and they lost that championship. Steve Lapis joining us on loan from CBS Sports studio analysts and college basketball analyst, former college hoo coach at Manhattan, Villanova, and UMass. You've done a great job and I've been meaning to reach out to you the last couple of years. Every time I hear you in the tournament and I always go, we should get Steve Lapis on. I love the energy that you have. It's great to see you again, coach. How you doing.
Speaker 7: It's you, Dan, It's been a long time.
Speaker 2: I think I go back to when was the first time I met you?
Speaker 8: Villanova, probably Villanova, maybe even Villanova's an assistant coach as I was from eighty five to eighty eight, so probably back then.
Speaker 2: So you came up with the game planned to beat Georgetown in the MC finals.
Speaker 7: You know what, that was my first year Dan as an assistant coach.
Speaker 8: I came from high school the year before, and people asked me about that all the time. I said, boy, what did you do? I said, well, I was getting the coffee, the sneakers.
Speaker 7: I was doing all those things in my first year.
Speaker 2: And I always maintain when people talk about that as one of the great upsets of all time, and I said, I don't think it is. I think NC State beating Houston was a bigger upset. Villanova. You had played Georgetown, and I think he lost by six or eight points. So you knew what you you know, you knew the battle, you knew the Big East, you knew Georgetown, and therefore I don't view it as that big of an upset, even though you guys had to play pretty much the perfect game. How do you view it, Dan?
Speaker 7: I tell people that all the time. I know, you know, it's.
Speaker 8: Great for us that we were part of his greatest upset ever, but you're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 7: We played them.
Speaker 8: Twice that year, lost by four, lost by six. The year before that, when I wasn't there, they beat Town Villanova. Eddie picked me as a software had twenty two points and twenty rebounds against Patrick Ewing in a game that was an epic So we knew we did.
Speaker 7: We didn't feel it like getting ready for the game.
Speaker 8: I mean, we knew we had to play well. There's no question that was an unbelievable team. And let's understand this. We shot seventy nine percent. We won by two, so you know what I mean. That tells you how good they were. But I can't agree with you more. You know, when you play somebody twice a year, we had seen Patrick Ewing nine times before that.
Speaker 7: They would have intimidated anybody else they played.
Speaker 8: And I'll be honest with you, we were happy we weren't playing Saint John's. It was a worst matchup for us because we were a matchup zone team and Chris Mullen was obviously one of the best shooters in the world. Georgetown wasn't a good shooting team. We liked that matchup better than Saint John's.
Speaker 2: You know, you start to look at the all time greats in college basketball. I don't know if Christian Latner is the last of the all time greats because they're not staying three or four years. It's usually if you're really good. I mean, Cooper Flag could be one of the great players of all time, but he's just going to be a footnote of a one and done at Duke and maybe they win a national title.
Speaker 7: You know, there's no doubt this is a new age.
Speaker 8: You know, we're not going to see the Bill Waltons and the Leuel Senders, and you know, the even you know, Christian Laytoner who was a good pro but wasn't like obviously Bill Walton or Louel Sender, yeah, or even Pat Patrick Ewing was one of the greatest college players that ever was. So you know, it's just a different age now. And even now it's even gotten crazier with this nil and transfer portal. Even schools themselves forget about the general public. It's hard for schools themselves to honor guys that are only their school for one year and then they're gone.
Speaker 2: I wondered about this. I brought it up with Dan Dakich, and I said, Indiana never reached out to Steve Alferd to coach there because you know, Clyde Drexler was Houston, Mullen was at Saint John's, Patrick Ewing at Georgetown. You can't hire somebody unless you know you can fire them. And I'm just I was always curious why Steve Alford never got the opportunity to coach Indiana.
Speaker 8: You know, that's that's a great point, because here's a guy who's won seven hundred games in his career. He's been a tremendous coach his whole life from a young age. He obviously was one of the greatest players in the history of the school, you know, win the championship in eighty seven, and yeah, it's just a surprising thing.
Speaker 2: What now.
Speaker 8: I think probably part of it has to do with the fact that they did coach at Iowa. That may you know, he's got that job when he was younger, and maybe that hurt him a little bit that he coached another Big ten school. But he's a tremendous coach and you know, would have been a great one at at Indiana, no question.
Speaker 2: All right, you called games in Providence, so you had Arkansas over Kansas, you had Saint John's over Omaha, and that sets up Bettino Cali Perry. Where did that relationship goes sideways between those two.
Speaker 8: You know, I think it went sideways like a long time ago, to be honest, I think it's actually a little better now, you know. I think part of it was when John Caliberry got the UMass job. Rick Patino's a UMass graduate and he had some input into you know, who was going to coach at the school, and it started got out that Rick Pattino was not in Caliberry's corner for Caliberry to get the job, he wanted somebody else to get So I think that's kind of where it starting.
Speaker 7: And we all knew each other.
Speaker 8: We all met each other at the five Star basketball camp back in nineteen eighty, so, you know, he go, we go back a long way, and those two guys go back a long way, and I think that's where and then the rivalry just grew because you know, John, they're both big personalities, as we know, and they both you know, feel like they're great basketball coaches, which they are, and you know, I think the rivalry just grew from there.
Speaker 7: But I think it started with the UMass job.
Speaker 2: And I forget who we had on, but they said Jim Beheim, and Beheim said, you can put Patino there. With Mike Skryzchewsky like he's he's on that level. Nobody's where Wooden is, you know, for obvious reasons, but he said, as far as modern day basketball coaches, greatest of all time, he would put Patino right there with coach K.
Speaker 7: What about you, absolutely, Dan, no question. I mean, think about it.
Speaker 8: Besides the fact he's got the eight hundred and seventy five whatever wins, think about all the years he spent in the NBA, so he would have a lot.
Speaker 7: More wins in college. He's got two titles. You know. I always tell people me personally, like people ask me all.
Speaker 8: The time, if you had the one game you got to win one game, who would you want to coach? I said, there's two people, Bob Knight and Rick Patino if I gotta win one game.
Speaker 2: Well that's how I praised there.
Speaker 7: He was not each k you know here, Coach K was a great coach.
Speaker 8: I look at those guys different. See, Coach K he was maybe the greatest leader of all time. That was his things leadership. Not that he wasn't next to no guy Knight and uh Beatino. Those guys were tinkerers. They were excell No, not that I'm not in. Please, I don't want anybody to take this like, oh, what are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Mike.
Speaker 8: Mike chefs all time, the best, one of the best. But those two guys were like they would tinker for game plans. Mike Schesky's philosophy was, this is what we do and we will do it better than what you do, and we're gonna win.
Speaker 7: These guys they would change things. They would change this guy.
Speaker 8: And report they tweaked this, tweak that, And that's why, I mean, one game, those guys will game plan to make it hard.
Speaker 7: For you to win.
Speaker 2: Steve lappis CBS Sports college basketball analyst. He has McNeese State and Purdue and Arkansas and Saint John Waite. Are you working in? Are you the early game here?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: No, tomorrow, My game is, oh tomorrow. I was gonna say, oh yeah, okay. I was like, boy, I'm uh holding you back here?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, I had before yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay. Do you have any problem with Will Wade coaching in the tournament knowing that he's going to take another job.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, let's face it, it's it's not a great situation, you know, for the kids, school or anybody.
Speaker 7: I will say this about will Wade, though he was very honest. I was shocked.
Speaker 8: You know, you know how it is, Dane. You've been doing this role so long. People say, well, you.
Speaker 7: Know, I don't want to talk about that now or whatever.
Speaker 8: He was very open, he said, we asked him, he said at the practice day before.
Speaker 7: He said, Yeah, I'm talking to NC State.
Speaker 8: He says, but I told my players that, and my players I'm going to help them get to the next level.
Speaker 7: If guys want to transfer. We talk very openly about this.
Speaker 8: So I don't like it, but I give the guy credit that he hasn't hidden from it. They were honest, they didn't lie, and you know, you gotta there's something to be said for that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm okay with the transparency. I just find it a little weird that he's helping the university, but he might hurt the university because maybe he takes some of these players with him de n C State, maybe part of the coaching staff as well. So, yes, you're helping, but then he could be hurting here in a week or two.
Speaker 8: There's no definite, there's no there's no doubt that if we were gonna put a scale which which way is worse than the other.
Speaker 7: There's no doubt that the fact that this came out and that he's going, he's worse for the school and everybody involved.
Speaker 8: The only thing I'm saying is it's a bad situation and he didn't lie about it.
Speaker 7: That's all I can say.
Speaker 2: What's it like to get fired?
Speaker 7: You know, it's uh, it's it's it's it's a it's it's an interesting question. Obviously it stings, as we know.
Speaker 8: But the thing that that gets you more than anything else is that, uh, you spend your whole life doing this thing that you think you're pretty good at, and it's kind of been your dream, and then all of a sudden you know it could be over, and so you spend all your life from when you're a kid.
Speaker 7: You know, I know, for me, from when I was a kid, it's all I wanted to do was coach. Coach coach. Grew up in New York City and I coached in high school JV.
Speaker 8: I came up the ranks, and then you know, when that happens, it's a jolt because this is what you want to do, and now you don't even know if.
Speaker 7: You're gonna be able to keep doing it.
Speaker 8: And it's not like, you know, if you're an accountant and you get let go of an accountant, you'll probably find another accountant job. Unless you were scaling or something, you'll find another account job. This business is very small and you know, I mean, unfortunately, college coaches don't get recycled the way they do in the NBA. So you know, I had to kind of remake myself, you know, by getting into TV, and it's worked out unbelievable.
Speaker 7: CBS has been great to meet.
Speaker 8: And the other thing about it, Dan, is you know public it's embarrassing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: You know, it's in the something happens to you like that's in the newspapers. It's you know, everybody knows. Everybody knows it.
Speaker 8: It's not like, you know, again you work in an accounting firm or whatever, and so something that you can not say anything to anybody, nobody will know. Everybody knows. And let's face it, and I don't think so. I think I got cut short at U Mass big time. I think we were.
Speaker 7: On the on the right road.
Speaker 8: But you know what happens is, you know, that's my story, the story on the outside is this guy wasn't good enough and that sucks.
Speaker 2: What do you see with Cooper Flag If I said, uh, maybe question marks with him of what he's going to take to the NBA about his game?
Speaker 8: Question marks? Boy, it's really hard to find him. You know, you wonder because he's so skilled. You know, we're talking about a guy who leads his team in every category.
Speaker 10: So I mean, here's a six nine, six ten kid who you know, not only shoots, rebounds, his steals, loots me he does it all. Now, college basketball is different today than it was, you know, twenty years ago.
Speaker 8: There's no doubt about it. But you know, I would say, how's he going to hold up physically? If I had to pick something, that's probably where I would go, is how's he going to hold up physically?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you had conversations or you've talked to coaches who've had these conversations when a kid thinks he's ready. I remember talking to Jim Beayheim about this, and he had a player who wanted to go and he said, don't go. And the player went and didn't succeed, But he said, you know, I'm assessing your talent. Do I want you to go. If you're ready to go, yes, But I think the player may have thought that Jim was being selfish by saying, no, you're not ready to go. But it turns out, you know, the kid wasn't ready to go. It's a tough conversation to have, I would think, because it's a kid. And then you have parents who are involved in this. So do you have any background stories on that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I had I had two kids. I had, you know, Tim Thomas and Kerry Kittles. And and Tim was one of the first guys to leave after year.
Speaker 7: He left in nineteen ninety seven. He stayed one year. He left, and I didn't think he was ready. And I and I'll tell you what I told him.
Speaker 8: I said, Tim, here's the thing I think you need because that team that he was on his freshman year, we had three seniors who were really good players, who had been there for four years and won a lot of games. And so he was obviously a big part of the scouting report, but he was a deep part of the scouting report.
Speaker 7: And I said, I.
Speaker 8: Think you need a year where this thing is going to focus on you. You are the We had these other three Singiers that were all good players, So it was hard for you to just get all of the attention in the scouting report or whatever. I said, I think you need a year of being the man here. It's on you. You got to get this done for us to win. It's not like last year. We can go into the background and we could still win. Here about you. Now, The difference for Tim was his mom was older. She was cleaning houses, you know, you know, so you know, from a financial standpoint, he had to go.
Speaker 7: He wasn't ready from a basketball stand but he had a good career. Don't get me long. He made a lot of money.
Speaker 8: I don't know if Tim ever really became I thought he could be an NBA All Star.
Speaker 7: He wasn't.
Speaker 8: He was a really good player, and I'm not saying that's why he wasn't. But you know, it's funny, Dan, he came back to me like two years later as the boy coach. I wish I would have stayed because not so much for the not so much for the basketball even, but just to be a college kid for another year.
Speaker 7: It's not the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 2: All right, give me the team that could make it to the final four where we'll look back and say, I'll be damn. Steve Lapis knew what he was talking about.
Speaker 7: Maryland. You know, Maryland is a team and it's kind of under the rate.
Speaker 8: I mean, I could easily give you, you know, Houston, Auburn Duke. But a team that you got to keep your eye on is Maryland. Maryland's starting time is as good as any starting five in the country.
Speaker 7: They have no bench, So now could that get them in the end.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they get into some foul trouble whatever, and you know this thing this tournament, one game, you're.
Speaker 7: Out, but you take you keep an eye on Maryland in terms of what they do.
Speaker 8: Now you watch the loose today because you know what, in my house, we used to have a pool every year, me, my wife, and my two kids.
Speaker 7: I was last every year of the four of us. So that tells you where this thing is at.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like Maryland, but I don't like what's going on with the coach and the athletic director there. It feels like both are out the door. And now you're gonna face Grand Cannon And I know you're ten and a half point favorites, but I just if you're not focused man, it just it'll bite you right in the ass. That that would be my big concern with Maryland.
Speaker 7: Well, you know that that was.
Speaker 8: My concern about McNee yesterday and I said it.
Speaker 7: They couldn't have played any better. So you know you're right.
Speaker 8: And I said the same thing yesterday. I'm not saying it again because they.
Speaker 2: Keep the passion, keep the enthusiasm. And thanks for joining us, Steve.
Speaker 7: Hey, thanks for having me, Dave. It's an honor to be on with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Bud. Steve Lapis, CBS Sports College Basketball Analyst. Yeah, I was there when Villanova won the title there for the parade when he was there with Roley Massimino. I think that's first time I met him in the mid eighties. We'll take a break last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store for Monday. Dylan gets a pie to the face coming up, and also it's a meat Friday as well. We'll have all of that coming up next here, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Wrapping up the show here, on a meat Friday, Chinese food looked really good. General sALS chicken beef and broncoli pork fried rice beef. Low made save some for the other guys, Fritzy.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, I got a.
Speaker 4: Mound of food out there.
Speaker 2: You know what you need load management? I think, Wow, it's true when it comes when it comes to Chinese food, you need a little load management here all right? Final results of the Pole Question Seaton.
Speaker 12: YEP final results. We got a couple of them up there. I root for dot dot dot Upsets all the Time top teams to make the Final four or my bracket right now. Upsets all the Time has forty eight percent of the vote, followed by bracket nobody roots for the top teams.
Speaker 2: Maryland gets almost eighty five percent of its points from its starters. That's most of any team in the tournament. And uh, you know, you start to think about being so top heavy and not having any depth, And it feels like when you're playing that many games and a you know, kind of a truncated amount of time, you're gonna need somebody or somebody's off the bench to help you. But the starting five is a wonderful starting five, just feels like they're gonna need a little more depth. And then they're facing Grand Canyon and Grand Canyon is you know, that's a good program, been a good program for a while. Ten and a half point underdogs here. Jay Billis will join us on the program on Monday. This day in sports History, Paulie's not here. I'll do the honors. UCLA beat Duke in nineteen sixty four, they went thirty and oh. Their first championship. Nineteen seventy, UCLA beat Jacksonville. That was UCLA's fourth consecutive championship. That's when you had artists Gilmour and Pembrooke Burrows. The third they had another then another player, Von Weddeking. He was in Rex Morgan, Rex Morgan, so they had some names. Joe Williams I believe was the head coach oft Actionville back then. But that's when Sidney Wicks. Sidney Wicks was not afraid of artist Gilmore and he took it to him. Nineteen eighty for do you remember when the NFL owners passed the anti celebration rule? Did this have to do with the fun bunch in Washington with those wide receivers with Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Art Monk. I don't know if they were the reason that they decided that no celebrating is what is sports. I mean, sports is about celebrating, isn't it. I mean it has it gotten out of hand, absolutely, but like true celebration I got missed. That just feels like maybe it was the Fun Bunch who they took the fun out of the Fun Bunch. Yes, Dylan, Well, you get the act like you've been there before, a crowd kind of reiining on the parade, I think, yeah, yeah, I never bought into that. Nineteen ninety one, I remember on the highlight on Sports Center, the Quebec Nordeck's goaltender Ron Tugnut set a modern NHL record most saves in a regular season game. He saved seventy out of seventy three shots. I remember saying that he saw more rubber than a tire salesman. That night. They ended up with a tie with the Bruins Ron tug Nut between him and Dick Trickle. I had fun doing Sports Center highlights, yes, Seaton. Somebody asked on social.
Speaker 12: Media yesterday at what point, like what is the threshold for an upset, especially in the tournament. Yes, if a nine beats and eight, it's an upset. Oh kinda right, But where do you truly get the like shock the world kind of upset? Was there a number designation that feels more upsety thirteen four that has replaced the twelve five? Yeah, thirteen four has yes, Hunt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's been so many twelves beating fives.
Speaker 3: I think Adam Lefkos had like thirty four over the last forty years.
Speaker 4: At least one twelve beat to five, So you're probably start with thirteen.
Speaker 2: And an eleven beating at six is a hell of an upset, right.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that's the I think that's the upset benchmark, seven to ten.
Speaker 2: It's kind of once you get seven, ten, nine to eight, then.
Speaker 12: A little too close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six eleven though.
Speaker 1: Six eleven is good.
Speaker 2: That's a jit. Mike and Wisconsin Mike, thanks for holding what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey, Dan reaching out.
Speaker 11: I know this topic is important to you and you can influence change.
Speaker 5: You got a lot of pull.
Speaker 4: So I'm watching the tournament games and I can't tell you how many times I yelled at the TV travel Carrie Travel, Gary, it's got out of control, Dan.
Speaker 2: Mike, I've tried. I talked to the NBA commissioner about this. I mean, it's it's so obvious, man, I just go, how can you not get your shot? How can you not get around somebody? If I get to carry the ball the way they do, they're dribbling. Oh, Baker and Bozeman, Hi, Baker and Bozeman, How can I help you?
Speaker 11: Day? Happy Friday, Listen. I just wanted to quickly. I know we're about out of time, but I wanted to really jock the backroom guys, and specifically I know he's not a backroom guy anymore, but Marvin hosted last Friday's twelve fifteen podcasts and he was awesome. He was a natural facilitator, he was a brilliant and I wanted to And by the way, the professor of the Parlay Dylan can substantiate this because he was sitting next to him in that podcast. And so anyway, I wanted to just give kudos to Marvin for being a fantastic host of last Friday's full fifteen podcast and hopefully all.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, all right, thank you Baker. Twelve fifteen podcasts. The backroom guys get the dish on everything that'll be coming up at danpatrick dot com. Todd, what did I learn on today's award nominated program.
Speaker 4: When coach k visited Seawebs Home for a recruiting visit. The neighborhood chanted one O three seventy three.
Speaker 3: Which was the final score of the nineteen ninety national title game when Duke got crushed by the running ReBs of UNLV.
Speaker 2: That's a great story, Dylan, thank you for filling in for Paulie Todd, the King of comedy Seat and Marv yours truly have a great weekend. Everybody,