Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Lisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, and also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning starting at seven am Easter.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 3: Now for our exclusive sit down interview with the heads of the National Governors Association. Two Republicans, two Democrats, two ten gallon hats between the four of them, joining Bloomberg this weekend on Saturday to announce a bipartisan task force designed to tackle immigration reform.
Speaker 2: I will say they did share the hats at our previous clip. Governor Spencer Cox of you Tap, Wesmore of Maryland, Kevin did of Oklahoma, and Matt Meyer of Delaware.
Speaker 5: Take a listen.
Speaker 6: We get elected. We always say that the governors really can't be that partisan, because potholes aren't partisan. We actually get judged by what we accomplish. We get held accountable for that. So unlike Congress, we have to do those things. And there's this cool thing we're celebrating America to fifty.
Speaker 7: But the way our country.
Speaker 6: Was set up, most of the power was left to the states, not to the federal government. That's certainly changed over the years. Unfortunately, we think that that's one of the problems. But here's I think why this really matters and should matter to all Americans is that we are the laboratories of democracy. So if a blue state comes up with a new policy that solves a problem in their state, I'm going to steal that.
Speaker 7: I want the best for my people. It goes the other way around.
Speaker 6: We were just talking about Mississippi today and they're reading scores, the third grade reading scores.
Speaker 7: They went from forty.
Speaker 6: Nine to top ten, and all of us looked around and said, hey, yeah, what is Mississippi doing. We should copy that. And so almost all of us, I think, have adopted some portion of Mississippi's policies around the science of reading. That's why governors and mayors are I think more popular.
Speaker 7: There's a little more trust. Although we're all struggling with that right now.
Speaker 6: But we're lucky to have these events where we can get together and learn from each other.
Speaker 8: I can tell you I took it a step further where we saw what was happening in Mississippi. We didn't just copy the model. We actually told our superintendent who's now the superintendent of the state of Maryland. So it's now becoming the Maryland model.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I want to encourage that.
Speaker 2: No poaching people, guys, everybody playing nice in the sandbox governors did when you talk to constituents, what is the number one issue, number one or two issues that they talked to you about? And have you found when you go to the NNGA, when you talk to your colleagues that those are common pretty much about across all the states right now?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I tell people all the time and every year of my I've been governor now for eight years and it hasn't changed.
Speaker 7: I mean, I believe that whether you live in rural.
Speaker 9: Oklahoma or urban Oklahoma, you want the same thing, whether you're Republican or Democrat, you really want the best education for your kids, the best opportunity.
Speaker 7: I want to make sure I put my.
Speaker 9: Kids in the best situation possible so.
Speaker 7: They can chase their American dream.
Speaker 9: I want the best access to healthcare. I want the best roads and bridges and infrastructure and utility cost. And then I want the best economy. I want wages to growth. I want opportunities for upward mobility. And so those four things are non political, and I always tell Oklahomas, Hey, let DC play politics. We're all Oklahomas. Let's make Oklahoma top ten. And so I focus on those things. And I don't think it's any different when I meet with my colleagues around the country. They're dealing with the exact same things in their state. So it's those four things I always focus on.
Speaker 10: People are starving for government that delivers, for people that delivers. There's so much nonsense out there, not just in politics and government, but everywhere, and I think people are just looking for people they elect to roll up their sleeves and get actual, real work done to help educate their kids, deal with childcare, the costs that I have three kids, one more on the way, and the costs are skyrocketing. Making sure when you go and get gas it's affordable, and so that's really what we're spending time on all day. You look at the national news and things people are fighting about. Most of what we do our kitchen table issues, just trying to make life a little bit easier for the people that live in our respective states.
Speaker 6: I would just add the price of housing is a big piece of that.
Speaker 7: That's when we hear you do energy too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all of the consumer costs, that's huge for all of us.
Speaker 5: That's funny.
Speaker 2: I was actually just going to say, so obviously, I'm here in New York. I moved here recently, and I talked about on the show a lot. Everything here is insane expensive. But I grew up in Colorado. And I was talking to a friend who was a very different life than me earlier this week, and she was saying the same things I was dealing with. She was like, we've gotten to a place in our lives we always wanted to be. My husband and I are making the money we always wanted to and we feel like we can't afford even the basic things. So governor more, I want to start with you, but what is your plan to tackle affordability? How are you going to tackle this? And then I brought it out to the group. What are you guys doing to bring these prices down.
Speaker 8: Well, I think one thing that all the governors recognize is that, you know, we wish we could control the price of gas, you know that, but that's not something that governors control.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: We know we are seeing how nationwide the price of gas has just skyrocket over the over the past twelve weeks. We see how, you know, we wish we could control.
Speaker 7: The price of groceries.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately, we're now seeing how inflation is the highest that it's been in three years, and so you're watching the price of groceries continue to go up. And so there are certain factors that that as governors, we don't control the fact that things continue to rise, but we can control the things we can control.
Speaker 7: So, for example, when.
Speaker 8: We're talking about best practices that we've seen and that as other states we've also brought on board. You know, we actually in Maryland we pass legislation that deals with the issue of price manipulation at supermarkets, where you know, supermarkets and big supermarket chains cannot use your data against you when you walk into a supermarket and increase the prices because they know that you will pay for the increased prices. So we are the first state to actually ban price manipulation that when it came to things like rising energy prices that we're all wrestling with, you know, in our state, and I know other states have done the same. We've now put one hundreds of dollars back in the pockets of our people in Maryland. You know, it's three hundred million dollars that we've now put back to the people of Maryland to deal with these rising energy prices. And so we're making sure we can control the things we can control, making historic investments in childcare, as Matt was talking about, because that is one of the largest costs that families are dealing with, whether they're now having to choose between are my kids going to be okay?
Speaker 7: Or can I go back into the workforce.
Speaker 8: And so we're making sure as governors that while we cannot control a lot of the dynamics that are existing within our states, the things that we can control to make life a little bit easier for the people of our states, we can and we will.
Speaker 2: Does anybody else want to get to anything any other specific policies that y'all want to highlight that you are trying to do, either on housing or I know, energy is a big concern, especially with data centers going in a bunch of places, food costs, childcare, of any of the policies that come to mind that you're trying to enact in your states.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I think we all want to do all right, keep.
Speaker 5: Going down the road. But you're grown up, so you can figure out. All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 9: Good Well, I would just say on housing, we're all dealing with affordability. We want you know, home ownership is so important. My whole career has been in the mortgage business and banking and promoting home ownership and strengthening families and how important that is to own homes. And so when you see that cost rising and you see people delaying housing, perching the first house so they're in their thirties, Now what is that? Well, if you believe in economics, I believe it's a it's a supply problem, right, So how do we get more houses built? Some of that is zoning problems. We're not allowing more developers. To me, it's always over regulation, right, So we passed a built to encourage zero interest loans to developers to develop more houses. And then for that they had to produce affordable houses for the working families. The Build Act that we did allows developers now to burden the cost of utilities, infrastructure as far as water sewage instead of back on to the municipality. So we're doing everything we can to encourage more supply coming in. It's already we're already very affordable in Oklahoma, and we're getting tremendous economic development.
Speaker 7: But we want we want more.
Speaker 9: We want to unleash the UH, the innovation of companies to go meet the demands of Americans. And I think that's the best policy, just a free market approach.
Speaker 5: Governor Meyer.
Speaker 2: One of the big things that we were just talking about with the big costs is energy, and energy costs are really going up, and we're seeing that coincide, of course, with these big data centers that are going in all across the country.
Speaker 5: I'm wondering if you are hearing from your.
Speaker 2: Constituents that they are concerned about AI, they are concerned about the energy draw of these data centers, and what you're doing about that in your state.
Speaker 7: I am hearing a lot.
Speaker 10: I think all of us are hearing a lot about data centers and the concerns about AI. They run the gamut from security concerns, privacy concerns, environmental concerns, and wealth inequality concerns, and.
Speaker 7: I think each of us have a different approach.
Speaker 10: We're looking to attract employers in Delaware, where in my first eighteen months in office, we've been very successful doing that. But I've also been very clear that if you're going to negatively impact our environment, if you're going to increase rate payers energy bills by a single penny, then we're not going to have you here. So we're putting in place rules, we're about to finalize them, about to sign some legislation that does just that, that says, hey, if you want a data center or anything like that in our community, you have to come with.
Speaker 7: Benefit for the community.
Speaker 10: I think a number of us that are doing behind the meter policies where kind of bring your own energy. If you bring your own energy and you're not drawing from the grid, it's much easier to get a pathway. I think we also understand that data centers and AI at some level is a national economic and security imperative.
Speaker 7: We cannot let China win on this one.
Speaker 10: We have to make sure that our respective states aren't blocking each other and blocking things so that we as a country cannot move forward.
Speaker 2: All right, gentlemen, we're running a little short on time. I really appreciate you taking time. Before I let you go, I do want to play a game. So if everybody could please raise your hand like this. Wait, I have to find my camera here.
Speaker 5: Put your hand up. We're going to do. Put a finger down.
Speaker 2: If I'm sure you have children or have been on the internet and you understand how this works, all right, you ready, Please put a finger down. If you are concerned about affordability in your state.
Speaker 7: Put a figure down. If you're concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're concerned about affordability in a state, put one of your fingers down.
Speaker 5: Please put a finger down.
Speaker 2: If you have released a book in the past year, or planning to release a book in the coming year.
Speaker 5: All right, that's two out of the floor. Put a finger down.
Speaker 2: If you're going to Iowa this year or in the next cycle.
Speaker 7: Iowa, old meyer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the gentleman from Delaware has put a finger down. And finally, please put a finger down.
Speaker 7: We're just going to New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: New Hampshire also counts. Okay, dream my final question of the day, Please put a finger down. Gentlemen, if you are running for president in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 5: I'm looking. I'm looking all right.
Speaker 2: No one committed, no one committed. Thank you for being good sports. I appreciate it. Thank you again with the task.
Speaker 8: I have to say, though, I'm the only one of this group who actually has a reelection in less than one hundred days, So I'm sweating a whole lot more than than my friends are here.
Speaker 5: That's all right.
Speaker 2: If it's a little hot, friends can let you borrow a hat.
Speaker 5: Gentlemen, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I have a great time with the stockyards. We really appreciate you joining us today.
Speaker 3: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend right after this. As artificial intelligence becomes ingrained in everyday life, disagreements over the technology are increasingly becoming disagreements over values and.
Speaker 2: The latest Bloomberg Forecast newsletter, Bloomberg News contributor Josie Cox explores how AI adoption is dividing friends, families, and coworkers, writing, researchers have only just begun to study AI social consequences, and there's little impair work examining whether attitudes or the technology are becoming part of people's identities.
Speaker 5: I have opinions about that, but I will leave them to the expert.
Speaker 2: But interviews with the ai skeptics suggest that for some people, AIUS has become a proxy for values.
Speaker 11: Josie Cox joins us.
Speaker 3: Now she sells with the author, I should save the book Women, Money Power, The Rise and Fall of Economic Equality. Great to have you with us. Let's start with this disagreement. We can maybe not to how popular this has become and how we're all kind of fumbling through. And I think we can acknowledge that what did you find as you dug into this in terms of what the personal or interpersonal ramifications of this are thus far.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's so interesting. I mean everyone is familiar, of course, with the headlines of just the meteoric rise of ai It's doing everything for us. It's in our work lives, our personal lives, in our bedrooms, it's everywhere. But what I have generally found really interesting is the ways in which it's exacerbating divides. Initially I was reporting on the gender gap that it was potentially exacerbating men more apt to use it. They are more apt to use it. Bloomberg a couple of years ago really kind of the in the sort of beginnings of AI dominance, showing that there was actually quite a stark divide between used rates among women and use rates among men. The gap has closed a little bit, but that really sort of planted the seed of interest, and since then I've been interested in, you know, ways in which AI is not only uniting us but also dividing us. And so this story really came from sort of anecdotal evidence and conversations that I was happening with people in my life who were sort of vehemently anti AI, and I just thought it was really interesting because a lot of people have different reasons for being anti AI, for being sort of AI refused and ex as I like to call them, you know, be that the environment or ethical concerns, or in the creative industries, a lot of people are concerned about copyright things like that, but ultimately they all sort of tend to kind of congregate around this idea of it being a bit of an identity, right, and it's sort of a you know, as I was reporting the story, I realize that it was almost tribal. It was like us versus them. Interesting, and I just think it's fascinating to kind of consider as AI continues to dominate, continues to infiltrate our lives, what that will ultimately mean for workplaces, families, relationships, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I am one of those people who gets very surprised by the people in my life who have started relying on AI so quickly, especially people my age and like, as we've managed to make it our whole lives without having your computer tell you how to get on the subway or what to order it dinner. And the people who adopt it, even people in creative industries, people who it's threatening their livelihood, are adopting it in a way that I think counteracts.
Speaker 5: All the rest of their values.
Speaker 2: But I personally get really upset. I was at dinner the other day and we needed to google something, and my friend picked up his phone and said, hey, chat, just google it.
Speaker 5: But like, what do I care? You know what I mean? Why is it so emotionally interesting?
Speaker 12: I think the reason one of the reasons that's so emotional is because a lot of the uses of AI that we're resorting to to do with communication, right, and communication is something that is so personal. One of the academics, so I spoke to who's a sociologist and who kind of studies political divides, which is sort of a good corollary for this. Said that, there's a lot of AI skepticism around communications that should be personal, like wedding vowels, right, like birthday greetings.
Speaker 2: Or dating as people are like having their dating asks just talk to each other.
Speaker 5: The messages are completely AI generated.
Speaker 12: Right, and communication is one of the most personal things that we rely on and one of the most sort of personal building blocks of our lives. So if we're relying on a machine to do that, you know, what does that tell us about the state of humanity?
Speaker 3: Quite frankly, we stuck with this agentic setup that's happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's terrifying.
Speaker 2: They've like programs, you know, prompt responses because you know, but it is a quite exhausting process.
Speaker 3: A lot on the subject of dating. You cite in your piece here a survey by the dating app Hillys that right, I think, so sixty four gen z fifty six percent of millennial dators say they would not date someone who relies on AI for everyday decisions. Here, we do have some empirical evidence, at least there's a survey that's taken place here. We have some data here, but what does that tell you just about the way that like lines are being drawn even preemptively?
Speaker 12: I think, yeah, well, I think you know, to your point, empirical data is scant.
Speaker 3: Right now, even about you know, economic impact.
Speaker 12: Or all that were kind of so I am completely I had a cast around for this, right, but I thought this was a really interesting data point. The other thing I should say about it is that this is cause people who are saying sure that they feel this way about AI, right, whether they're actually acting on it is another thing. This is the same as you know, the perennial issue with political polling, right. But I think what it does tell us is that there is a bit of a backlash, right Obviously, you know, as we're saying at the beginning of this conversation, the rise has been absolutely meteoric, and I think that there is a sort of hankering for personal connection amid this AI era that we're all finding ourselves in. So I'm hopeful that we'll get more empirical data on this. Stanford is to some good research on this. We also had some I came across some data for the piece showing that skepticism or lack of trust in AI is rising at a pretty rapid clip globally, with some regional differences, But over the last sort of three four years, distrust in AI has actually risen by about ten percentage points, which is a remarkable rate of increase for anything really. So you know, let's see what the next generation does and what the dynamics look like.
Speaker 5: There, well quickly before we let you go.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to ask about that next generation because I was surprised. I don't know if there's again researchers scant, but is there an age difference with adopters as well? Because I noticed in my life younger people have almost stronger ANTIAI feelings than some of the older people in my life, who.
Speaker 5: Were like, this is cool, I can do this thing.
Speaker 2: And then I noticed this week LinkedIn now has an option where you can hit the little button and say this looks like AI slot. Because I think they were getting bombarded with things that people didn't like and it was ruining the user experience.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, I think, as ever with new technologies, it comes down to literacy, right, and the younger generations are individuals who grew up with the Internet, right, They don't know a time before the Internet, so maybe that sort of skepticism is a little bit more intuitive for them. But again, let's see.
Speaker 3: I would ask you lastly just about the difficulty of being a skeptic or a fusee as you put it, use site in the piece. There are companies now that are incentivizing employees to use AI, and so even if you don't want to do it or don't think that it's going to help or be a positive thing, there is pressure now being placed on people to use it in the workplace.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Absolutely, there are large companies that are not only incentivizing employees to use AI, but actively almost forcing them, right, mandating it. And I think those are the skeptics who were least willing to speak to me, sure, right, because they think their job might be on the line.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 12: But I think that is where we see kind of that's really concerning, right, if you're being forced to do something in your work that becomes a productivity issue, that becomes an engagement issue. Ultimately that could become a workforce issue.
Speaker 5: Stating subject.
Speaker 2: I think it's one that we're all thinking about all the time, especially when I don't have kids.
Speaker 5: But I will trying to parents in the water.
Speaker 2: Has to be especially especially difficult that my dog doesn't know how to AI, so we're safe there.
Speaker 11: But yes, Cox, thank you so come back because you get more empiricals. Please let us know well I can see the story as well.
Speaker 2: As to see you.
Speaker 5: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 2: Right after this, I want to start by saying the story is allegedly a data based analysis, and I am now surrounded by legs.
Speaker 5: We've got David.
Speaker 2: Cara and our friend Chris Browser is here. Boys, you're showing a lot of leg Is this office.
Speaker 3: Approach showing a lot of leg This piece we're going to talk about by Chris has cost more than a minor tempest and office towers across New York City and indeed in commercial capitals around the world. He not proposing the shorts be allowed in the workplace, but investigating whether or not there's appetite for it. And Chris, to Christina's point, you did this in a very data driven way. You conducted a survey. Is now the time, in the dog days of summer you feel about it?
Speaker 5: Their facts here?
Speaker 13: No, we had we had the bloom Bloomberg Terminal People survey using one of their market pul surveys analysts and Terminal subscribers, and forty five percent of.
Speaker 3: People forty five percent, not a majority, said that it was suitable to wear shorts to work.
Speaker 13: Now, some of these people responded and said, yeah, oh yeah, it's of course it's okay. If you work at a surf shop. You know, people really do not support wearing shorts work. However, I believe it's time.
Speaker 3: You believe it's time you're going to take that position. I work near you physically in the office. You often do wear shorts in the summer. You've been taking the stand for a while. I have Before you put pen to paper, I want you to go back to when you first did it. Were you apprehensive about it? What did you think the reaction was going to be?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Well, like a lot of people I talked to you for this piece, I had, at one point or another my career been scolded for not being dressed up enough for work. And that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a guy who wears Monograham shirts to work. Would be clear about that.
Speaker 5: Very fancy, very she glen and pants on. Last time he was here.
Speaker 13: But there are times, you know when you're not dressed appropolyated for a situation, if you're in meeting with people or whatever. But if you're not, if you're just going to work, you know you're just gonna be a desk jockey for the day. My personal rule is that if it's over ninety degrees farenhet be allowed to wear fahrenheit about thirty two, you should be.
Speaker 5: Allowed to our listeners and shorts.
Speaker 13: Now, one of the first times I did in this office, I was walking through the newsroom and the deputy editor in chief of Bloomberg News yellow.
Speaker 11: Hello, Reda Grigory. We said good morning to you, Yes.
Speaker 13: Good morning.
Speaker 7: He said, what are you going to the beach? And this is a scary Swiss.
Speaker 5: Many lovely but very attached plush Yes.
Speaker 13: So I thought, okay, this is maybe not super accepted, but I powered through, and now I think it's a It's a topic of conversation all over New York City.
Speaker 2: I will say, since I knew we were doing this piece, forget my shorts.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I just came out for vacation. I did forget my shorts.
Speaker 2: Ironically, but as I was looking around today on a Friday in the summer, there were quite a few pair.
Speaker 5: Of work shorts.
Speaker 2: Now I've never done summer shorts, but I do have like the really long bermudas that kind of go with the matching.
Speaker 11: Jocket with all those cool clam diggers.
Speaker 2: And I've done winter shorts because you can wear them with tights. Because for me, the controversy here, especially on the women's end, is what length of short is workplace appropriate? Because we have variant hemlines on YouTube.
Speaker 11: We wanted to show a little leg. Yes, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: But I mean, is there a fine is there a thigh threshold for work appropriate? Is did you ask people about the length and kind of short people?
Speaker 13: You know, the thing is you think the longer like the more appropriate. But if you get shorts that are kind of below the knee, that's also a different look that can be like feel less tidy. So my feeling is like a seven to nine inch in seem anything shorter than that. Usually my husband tells me what is appropriate for work. And one day he wasn't home, he was traveling, and I went to work and I immediately walked in the office and I was like, these are too short.
Speaker 7: I'd made a mistake.
Speaker 11: You dig into the history here.
Speaker 3: Look, during revolutionary war times, the men in power were wearing I guess not shorts, but breeches.
Speaker 7: Is the thing.
Speaker 13: We think that like, we've been wearing suits and stuff to work forever, and that's simply not true.
Speaker 7: It used to be that.
Speaker 13: Wearing clothes that recognize that you live in the world and you have to use your body for work was very like, was very not fancy. Like if you were an aristocrat, you needed to wear clothes like corsets and tight things and things that showed that you didn't have a body or you could never possibly use.
Speaker 5: Your body for you You didn't have to do labor, you didn't.
Speaker 13: Have to do it, like prove that you didn't have to do labor. But even then, men showed their legs, people wore breeches and wore tights. At the signing of the Declaration of Independence, John Adams was wearing stockings and showed his calves. So like you can do it.
Speaker 3: Celebrate that two fiftieth Christina, right now, can I ask you last week a minute loud, I go home.
Speaker 11: I can't go home.
Speaker 3: You know you're you're paving this path or designers doing it as well? Are we seeing this like on the runways that now one comes to men's.
Speaker 2: Fashion and women as well, there are suit short outfits more frequently that.
Speaker 5: You can buy two two.
Speaker 13: There were two main pegs for this story, one of which was in Tokyo, there's actually like a government and mandate the municipal workers are allowed to wear shorts and that has caused and has caused a lot of consternation. And then also on the on the runs the runways at the Men's Wort show in Milan and in Paris, there were a lot of shorts paired with blazers, suits and jackets. So like, uh, you know, Tom Ford lou Vitan.
Speaker 5: Has been doing this forever too, like the short suits.
Speaker 13: I meant Tom Brown, Yeah, Tom Brown has always been doing it, doing it. Saint Laurent sent down a look on the runway which was basically like a guy in a blazer with no bottoms and that is like a nightmare that a lot of us have actually had and what it feels like.
Speaker 11: To show up summer of twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe not here, Chris, Thank you very much, co rats on the controversy.
Speaker 5: Thank you well for breaking down borders.
Speaker 2: And raising hemlines starting you appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend right after this, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Back to Bloomberg this weekend, Bloomberg B this T Weekend w B T W.
Speaker 11: As we say, David.
Speaker 3: Grew, Christina Lisa Matteos, you've ascertained out this week. Nathan Hager with us with some stories you might have missed. You've been mining the terminal, mining Bloomberg dot com, mining.
Speaker 11: Outside sites as well.
Speaker 14: I should say it's not for us to look.
Speaker 5: Broadly at the news, not using AI. Using your brain.
Speaker 14: Can't do that critical thinking.
Speaker 15: We even do that this early in the morning, and morning it's hard, is a struggling.
Speaker 11: There is coffee.
Speaker 15: There is coffee speaking of right, this is about coffee. This is about drinking culture. Because I don't think there's it's any secret that the beverage industry has been dealing with the changes twenty somethings kind of pulling back because of health concerns or the economy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just have a story of Jim Beam and they're owned by this big Japanese conglomerate and.
Speaker 3: They because that they're actually getting into not a non alcoholic whiskey, but like no.
Speaker 5: But Jim Beam.
Speaker 2: They're doing non alcoholic cocktails to try to, you know, get these young people who are not drinking alcohol to purchase some of their produities.
Speaker 15: Well, this isn't just a Western phenomenon or here in the States. It's even spreading to China. Although the reasons here are a little bit different. This is really about a generational divide. This was from the Wall Street Journal this week. A sober curious generation is challenging the business culture of heavy drinking. Because you can see it right here for our listeners on radio, they do toasts. This has been a part of the culture for dagoes. Now some business leaders say that you know, just you can tell whether a deal is going to go down based on how many toasts are in the deal. So an initial business steel is even about business. It's about just doing the toast. And this is around a national drink called by Jew It's actually one hundred and seventy billion dollar business. This is a clear spirit that's distilled from sorghum, and it's kind of the traditional alcoholic beverage that Chinese business people and at social gatherings do to do these toasts. But only about a fifth of adults in China ages twenty five to thirty five name it as their preferred alcoholic drink. They say at least one worker says, it burns your thoughts instinct It is very I have, but I've never had this.
Speaker 11: It's extremely strong.
Speaker 15: Would you say that the aftertaste is worse than a mix of funky cheese and ferment well juice, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if I had time to process the taste because it was so powerful and strong. Oh, it reminds me of that. But mylord, isn't that the Chicago drink. It's like a very strong I don't know what that is either. Well, I will bring some in for you to have, But I mean I.
Speaker 5: Had moonshine ones. Well it almost killed me.
Speaker 15: So the bottom line about how this is worked in China is that it's not just about giving up alcohol necessarily. It's about changing the way that young people decide to drink and sort of rejecting or you know, going a little bit against how the older generation have done it with their alcohol experience or what else you got, Well, you mentioned the must have summer status symbols.
Speaker 14: Weased well, something to drink.
Speaker 2: It's not a tan because we've all learned that's not happening for me.
Speaker 14: Well, it's something in a bottle. It's not sunscreen. It's a three ninety nine dollars bottle of water.
Speaker 15: As you can forget your bai juw flavored lattes or your bubble tea.
Speaker 14: This is lunar water. It's showing up.
Speaker 15: At bougie grocery stores, private events here in New York City.
Speaker 5: Must have seen it and the show how dare you? Also? Yes, I have, I'll have you know.
Speaker 15: And the way they sell this is it's sourced from a southern California spring. Yes, there stainless steel filtration, adding net minerals like Celtic sea salt, magnesium, potassium, and calcium, all this for the low low price of three dollars and ninety nine cents. Now, this was founded co founded last year actually by a woman named Clara cig She's a former venture capitalist too. When she was, you know, deciding to get pregnant, getting ready to decided to educate herself about micro plastics and found that.
Speaker 14: She says that the stainless steel.
Speaker 15: Filtration process gets out more of the microplastics. But when you talk to experts, they say water's water. And even if there is a you know, evy on or liquid bovy, there is no evidence that any of these elite brands are going to give you any other water.
Speaker 5: And glass does taste.
Speaker 16: It's it's called Luninkay what else editorial drink? Why would I editorialize?
Speaker 9: Never?
Speaker 14: Okay never.
Speaker 15: So we're going to go from luxury water to luxury hotels here because this is a new trend across Europe. Actually it's not just about the thread count or the buzzy restaurant. History is the new amenity. This story is actually from Bloomberg Today. This week, you can go to the Raffles London at the ow Woe and sim Martinis in a basement that was once used by British intelligence like that.
Speaker 2: Of course you're speaking my language history nerd and bougie hotel.
Speaker 14: Quiz O w WO stands for Office of Wartime along the lines.
Speaker 15: The Old War Office the Nomad London. You can tour old prison cells where Oscar Wilde once waited for sentencing. So guests are paying upwards of thirteen thousand thirteen. So you can stay at places that were once limited to the most powerful, and like I said, this is a trend to cross Europe. Their old ministries in Paris and Lisbon that are turning into hotels, the former Italian Central Bank headquarters in Rome, because they got to offload some of these old buildings as the governments are modernizing, and these hotel chains are saying, you know what, we'll go ahead and snap them up and give our guests an experience that they'll never forget compared to like the museums or the spa or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, I understand there's an access issue here and it's not equitable, but I also do think it is nice to preserve these buildings that other might otherwise not have a purpose. At least someone is paying to save them. And you know you got to buy a fourteen dollar martini to help an.
Speaker 15: Old post office V Well, there's a olderf historian now.
Speaker 5: It is now and has a very nice bar. I've been there multiple times, Nathan.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much, appreciate that.
Speaker 14: Give btw.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern
Speaker 3: We're on bloom Television, radio, and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.