Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final hour on this Monday, we'll check in with the NBA Finals, also recap what happened at Oakmont US Open. Steve SAMs from Golf Channel will join us. We'll catch up with the former NBA coach PJ. Carlamis Carlissimo working for the Mothership covering the NBA Finals tonight. Thunder at the Pacers Game five OKC is favored by nine and a half. We talked a lot about JJ Spahn at the Open, and the Red Sox shipped out Rafael Devers to the Giants eight seven to seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Our stat of today is always brought to you by Panini America Official trading cards of the program. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner once again plan the Ultimate Summer Movie. Celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Jaws by watching the nineteen seventy five original streaming exclusively on Peacock.
Speaker 3: Poll question for the final hour of the programs Seaton.
Speaker 4: Going back to a classic here, would you bet a finger versus a million dollars? That Shoheo Tani will win the NL MVP. Hmmm, finger v million? Okay, so I lose a finger if he doesn't win the MVP. Yeah, but you get a million dollars if he does.
Speaker 2: All right, who would put up a finger? Paully and Seaton Todd? You wouldn't put up a finger that Otani is gonna win the MVP. I'm not gonna do that, all right, tax three million dollars?
Speaker 5: Oh, tax free.
Speaker 4: Now I'm gonna hold on to my digits.
Speaker 2: Marvin, I'll losing not my thumb, but you're gonna lose a pinky, fine with me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you do that. Okay, so there's three of you.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, I will not double down necessarily, but I'll go finger of your choice. That's how sure?
Speaker 3: I hmmm?
Speaker 6: Which is that's like the double down of the fingerbat?
Speaker 3: I might do that with Aaron Judge.
Speaker 2: I just once again, you have to have that guy who's having a year that's comparable. Nobody's having a year comparable to Aaron Judge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seton what are the corporatelyales of crowdfunding a million dollars versus Paul's finger of his choice?
Speaker 6: I think we'd have to run that past management in some fashion.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm managing it. Yeah, I agree, I greenlighted, green light.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll get I'll start working on the social.
Speaker 2: Let's bring in PJ. Carlissimo, ESPN, NBA Studio Analysts, ESPN Game Analysts, PJ.
Speaker 3: How are you excellent?
Speaker 5: DP?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling like Shay gilgis Alexander right now.
Speaker 5: You should be feeling great.
Speaker 2: Man, Help me understand. Three minutes to go on Friday night and he takes over. Indiana knows he's taken over, and you still can't stop him.
Speaker 7: Why he's a He's a really tough combination, the size, the ball, handling, he's got the middle game. I don't want to say he's a good three point show. He's a decent three point show. He made the only three in the entire fourth quarter. I kept saying that Marcuestershire during the game. If OKC doesn't makes some threes, they can't win this game. And they didn't. But Shay made one that really mattered down the stretch. He wants the ball. He's herky, jerky, he just he's like he reminds me a little bit of pac Man years ago. Like he doesn't straight line anything. He goes over, sideways around the guy. He gets in front of a player, he stops, he initiates contact. He's got that forearm out a lot. You know, the other team is always gonna cry, hey, he created the contact, his defender didn't. He just he can get basically wherever he wants to get. It's usually the mid range jumper, and then not always in late game situations. He's a really good passer. He sees the rest of the floor. So the rest of the game he'll involve his team. And I'm not saying he won't pass it at the end, but if it's a big enough shot, he knows he's supposed to take it.
Speaker 3: What went wrong with the Pacers?
Speaker 5: Rick carlosle used the word stat which was interesting.
Speaker 7: But he is obviously lead by seven points after three quarters, and not that there's always a correlation, but in the first three games they owned the fourth quarter. They were the best fourth quarter team in the first three games of the playoff. So you're sitting there between the third and fourth quarter and thinking, boy, Indiana is in really good shape. I thought one thing happened that kind of got lost in the shuffle. On the OKC side, Chet Holmgren and Alex Caruso scored the first nine points, like it went from eighty seven to eighty to eighty nine, eighty nine, and it was all Alex Caruso and Cheded Holmgren. Chet had six, Ac had three, and boom, like right away, this big advantage, it was gone. So now we're starting all over. It's an even game. Rick thought they got sped up a little bit. They weren't popping the ball around as much. It was sticking. They obviously weren't making threes, which early on had been their bread and butter in that game, so it kind of got away from them. I don't want to say they lost their composure, but they certainly didn't play with the confidence and with the purpose on the offensive end, especially the other thing. I mean with all it was said Ben Matheren, who's their best free throw shooter, missed a pair that would have still made it a one point game with like twenty four seconds to go. So the series has been much more competitive and much closer than I thought it was going to be starting out.
Speaker 2: Other topics helped me understand the Desmond Vane trade. From both sides here.
Speaker 7: Well, I can understand it from the Orlando side in terms of a quality player. They really struggle at times offensively. Jamal Mosley's done a really good job there. It's hard a little bit to evaluate him this year because you had so many injuries. Polo had a great year, Wagner was out a lot, both Wagner, So the team is closer than a lot of people realize. Orlando's kind of poised to make a run in the Eastern Conference, particularly with who knows what's going to happen with the Celtics. I don't think the coaching is necessarily the absolute key, you know, I'm biased about that, but I think the Knicks are going to be okay regardless of what they do. I don't think they're going to be as good as they were with Tibbs coaching, but I think it's a good time to make a move in the East. So I can understand what Orlando's thinking. But boy, they gave up a lot. They really gave up a lot. Not CACP, the jury's out on. Loved him in Denver, liked him in LA. He had a really tough year. Is he too old?
Speaker 5: Is he?
Speaker 7: On the downside, I don't know. I still think there's something there. Greg Anthony s. Soun's a very good player and a slew of draft picks, So I thought they gave up a lot, But they got they got a really special player back. Desmond Bane is a big time shooter. He's a strong, physical guard. He's a very willing defender. He's a good defender. So I think they got a heck of a player that can really help them advance in the East.
Speaker 5: But boy, they gave up a ton.
Speaker 8: PJ.
Speaker 2: Carlissimo, former NBA coach, an analyst for the Mothership. He'll be covering the NBA finals. You mentioned the Knicks. What are the Knicks doing?
Speaker 7: They don't know. De Peter's no way we could know. They have no idea themselves what they're doing. So I just don't understand it that I conventional logic, which doesn't really concern me, is you don't fire a guy who says talented a coach is tips. You can say whatever you want about managing the bench, and you know they didn't get as far as you look at what they've done in the last twenty five years and his four years of putting them in the playoffs, they get to the Eastern Conference finals. He's a proven winner. He was a big factor back in eight. Doctor be the first to tell you that when the Celtics won there. He's really a special coach. You're rid of a coach, and it doesn't seem like they had a plan. The Knicks, you know, are still one of the three or four, you know, pre eminent franchises in the league. You think people you don't want to coach there despite and I don't think it's always necess leon. You know, you just don't know with the ownership how much there's interference there. I don't know who made this decision. It's easy for them to make it look like, well, the players weren't happy playing for Tibsie. You got a couple guys that have had the best year they've ever had in the NBA. So I don't think they're really thinking, I don't like playing for this guy. You know, it's been good for me and the team's been winning. Where they're going now. I don't know the calling other teams to talk to their coaches that are there, and very good coaches. Okay, good, they picked good teams to call those guys that are very good coaches. Why would you ever give permission for the Knicks to talk to the guy? I mean, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: That any chance, any chance Rick Brunson takes over as the head coach of the Knicks.
Speaker 7: I would have thought, yes, everybody's telling me no. And who everybody is, I don't know. People around the Knicks, the broadcasters, assistant coaches, a couple of players I talked to, they all think no. That that to me, he was kind of from the beginning. Rick Brunson's capable of being a coach in the NBA. He obviously tips valued his counsel. You know, he was a major factor for them. I would have thought, it just doesn't seem to be mentioned at all. Whether it becomes a fallback, I don't know. Doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Kevin Durant's value now is what I.
Speaker 7: Think, still very very good. He's still is going to get you thirty or close to it. He's still We talked about how special Shay is. Kevin in his prime and he's not far from his prime, was the best end of a game player you would ever want. He was so big, he was so good with the ball. He shot threes, shoots threes even.
Speaker 3: Better, better than Lebron closing time or Steph closing.
Speaker 7: I think, yes, you know I want him because Lebron always as great as Lebron is, he was never a great free throw shoot. He's become He's much better than he was. KD was the whole package. He was going to shoot ninety percent free throws. He was too big, he could shoot over everybody. He had a good handle for a guy that big, and he could score outside or inside, and if you followed him, he was automatic. So he was a tremendous end of game player. Not that he wasn't good the other forty seven minutes, but he was money at the end of a game.
Speaker 2: What's the best performance you ever witnessed, whether you're coaching against or coaching for, But who put up the best performance ever?
Speaker 7: Well, I want to say Tim Duncan, but I'm trying to think of an individual one the five years I was lucky enough to be an assistant in San Antonio, there were so many times that he got us through to the end. But he wasn't you know, he wasn't one of those guys that normally put up like forty and did like twenty two points in a row. That's a heck of a question. I'm tempted to say somebody like Kevin, but I'm getting senile, so I can't really come up with an opponent or a game where I just like sat there and said, I can't believe what this guy's doing. Just scored time, you know, like kind of what Shaye did the other night, what it was at fifteen in the last sixteen. But not taking anything away, he's he is the MVP, He's great.
Speaker 5: Jolkic is another one. DP.
Speaker 7: I don't I would, I know, we don't want to get into the Jokic Shae debate right now, but Jokic did that a number of times. The way he impacted a game, I mean in so many different ways, with the passing, with the scoring himself, with getting into the free throw line, the way he understands the game.
Speaker 3: What about witnessed anything with Jordan Oh.
Speaker 7: I mean that was like automatic, but it was like you were so immune to it. You're just like when he did it, you go, yeah, of course. It was kind of like when they when they ran out of time, whether yesterday they put Tiger on and it was like a nice watching I had forgotten that last butt rolled around a little bit. But Rocco wasn't being smarterer game. He went like, yeah, of course he made the putt. That's what Tiger does. That was the way it was mj Like whatever he did, you just go, okay, you know if that's what Michael Jordan did, which made it kind of special that you actually expected it and you just kind of shrug your shoulders and go, yeah, that was Michael Jordan. It's funny talking to a lot of the younger players now in a sense they certainly don't remember him, but they haven't even seen him that much. Honestly, they don't appreciate exactly what he did on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: What was more physical the NBA in the eighties or the Big East in the eighties.
Speaker 7: I think in the eighties it was it was actually the Big East because nothing was called it was great. It was expected. This series, talking about physical, you got two teams that prefer to pick up folk court. Anytime there's a dead ball, they'll both pick up ninety four feet. They have a lot of physical defenders. That's the way they defend. It's really hard to officiate this series because this contact and there's guys laying on each other virtually every play, and when you go to the lane, it's very rare when somebody gets all the way to the basket with like without Home Grin or Miles Turner or a couple of these really good long athletes just challenging every shot. I really think the defense in this series is excellent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they're not fighting like you guys did in the eighties.
Speaker 7: Well that was just I mean, it was just I don't know whether Dave had him to Dave Gavin had a meeting with the officials or what, but it was like the funny part was it was expected though, Like you didn't even look like a guy would go through and get knocked down. He'd be up, he'd be bleeding. Nobody would say a word. It was like, okay, you know they follow us. That's the way it was. You know what it was like on the playground DP when you were young and it was a game to eleven and it got to be ten ten, Well you had to like make a jump shot or something like that because if you and inside guys just punched, it knocked you down.
Speaker 5: That was the way the Big East was. Oh he was most of it was in the game.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. Save that voice for tonight. Sorry, well, brother, thank you, GP. Good seeing, Great to see you, PJ, PJ, Carlssimo. He'll be on the call tonight. It'll be Game five and that'll be on ESPN Radio. The tip off is slated for eight thirty Eastern ESPN Radio and also on ABC. Steve Sands of Gulf Channel will join us coming up here in a little bit. We'll recap what we saw over the weekend. More of your phone calls as well. Eight seven to seven three DP show. We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You can catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich?
Speaker 10: We talked what about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe.
Speaker 10: The most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll get to Steve Sam's of Golf Channel. Coming out quick Story went to dinner Friday night in the city with Adam Sandler. All right, I wanted to get together with him, find out how the movie is and is it done it's ready to come out next month, and find out, you know, how many scenes that I'm in that got caught out and how many actually made the movie.
Speaker 3: So I'm just doing kind of a you.
Speaker 2: Know, just a welfare check here on how my career is going with Sandler. Sandler goes, I'm going to go play basketball and I'll meet you at the restaurant. Well, the restaurant's really nice, but it's not very far from the basketball courts. So Sandler's got his Hawaiian shirt on, baggy shorts. He's playing a couple of games. Comes in, he's sweaty, and you know, of course he walks in and everybody goes, that's Adam Sandler. They didn't care that, you know, they had a dress code, it didn't matter. So he's a mess when he comes in. So, you know, we have a dinner, great, great conversation. We're leaving. He said where are you walking to? I said, well, I'm going to walk to Soho. He goes, I'll walk with you, Danny, and then he goes, you don't want to walk with the Sandman, And I go, okay, why he was actually saying you do not want to walk with him? Because we probably passed ninety people. Let's say eighty of those people ask for a photograph. It was you know, in the middle of traffic, people crossing street, crazy crazy, and he goes, I told you, Dannie, you don't want to walk with this sand Man, but he was polite. One person out of eighty asked for a photograph of me. One guy asked me if I would take the photograph of him and Adam Sandler.
Speaker 3: I said sure, I'd be more than happy to. But Sandman is good, and you know, maybe.
Speaker 2: There's one other movie that he's going to be working on after Happy Go More two. A lot of cameos and Happy gil Moore too. A lot of big time golfers in there. And I found out Shooter McGavin. How Shooter McGavin got his name in the movie. But I'm gonna make you wait for that because I have to get to Steve Sands of Golf Channel, very popular play by play announcer, host and interviewer Steve how are you?
Speaker 11: Shooter McGavin was at the Players this year, Dan and I was on a stage with him and got to meet him and then hang out with him for a little while, and I was like, man, this is a man.
Speaker 12: Shoot him.
Speaker 11: McGavin's like an incredible character in sports movie lore, and it was pretty wild. But let me get back to the Adam Sandler thing. One love when you name drop. I think that's very cool. And Two, how in the world can you walk block after block in New York City and only have one person ask for your autograph? You came to dinner with me about a month ago in winter Park and we couldn't take a bite without everyone in the restaurant running byes and calling, Oh my gosh, that's Keith Arperman. Oh, I'm sorry, Dan, Patch, Dan, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Good to have you back on, Steve.
Speaker 11: It's great to be with you.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 11: How you doing, buddy?
Speaker 3: The best golf movie of all time is?
Speaker 11: Oh, Caddy Shack.
Speaker 5: It's not even close.
Speaker 11: Come on, really, come on, I mean Caddy Shack, you can. I mean, I love Adam Sandler and I love all things golf genre with Adam Sandler. I mean, come on now, I mean Caddy Shack? Is there something better than Caddyshack? Are you gonna give me Kevin Costner and that whole thing?
Speaker 3: Okay? If I take Caddyshack off the board?
Speaker 11: Oh man, you know I haven't seen the second version, but the first version with Adam Sandler, I mean that made me laugh out loud. I mean, golf usually doesn't make you laugh out loud. Yeah, I gotta see. I gotta see the second version though. Are you saying it's good? Were you in the movie by.
Speaker 3: The way, Yeah? Wow, of course. I mean I'll tell you what, man, you you're a big time man.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: But I always find time for you.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 11: You come to the Orlando area like once a month and I hear from you once a year. Is that always making time for me?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, because I got to meet up with rich Lerner. Uh foaldo Like there's a lot of a lot of yeah, a lot.
Speaker 11: The best The best part about you living in that circle of people is that Lerner now lives in Connecticut and Faluda lives in Montana, and you're saying that you have to see them both when you're in Orlando. Yes, that's my favorite part.
Speaker 3: No, no houses.
Speaker 11: That's nice. It's nice of you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I love what rich Lerner said last night. He said that JJ spawn he beat the best and he beat the beast. Yeah, he did in in that order.
Speaker 3: Did he beat the best or did he beat the beast?
Speaker 11: I think he beat the beasts first. I think certain major championship venues. Aside from Augusta National, which hosts the Masters every year, there's certain US Open and PGA Championship and Open Championship venues that just mean more. They just do you. You do it Open at Saint Andrew's and it means more than most of the other venues. And I think Oakmont is one of those places. Dan, when you win at Oakmont, you have conquered Oakmont more than you've conquered the other one hundred and fifty five guys who are in the field. I agree with Rich, but I would go beast before the field.
Speaker 2: How many golf courses in the world do we tune in to see the golf course and then you tune in to see how the players play the golf course.
Speaker 11: Augusta National for the Masters every year. I've never been anywhere, you know, I've said this to people all the time. You can go to Churchill Downs on the first Saturday in May. You're going to turn around and watch the derby. At some point you're gonna go to Wrigley or Fenway or whatever your cathedrals are, fog Allen at some point, whatever your cathedrals are. In sports, you're gonna be watching the sporting event. You can walk in. We talked about this before.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 11: You can go to Augusta, get a badge for a day, walk around, eat those horrible Prometo cheese sandwiches, buy yourself two thousand dollars worth of merchandise because you think you're never gonna go back there again. You have to buy something for every human being you've ever met in your life, whether you love them or not. Have a beer, walk the eighteen holes, see the place you're so familiar with, not see a single golf shot, and walk away, go home and go that's the best day of my life and you never saw a shot. The course at Augusta National matters. Pebble Beach, I think is in that category. We see that regularly. But you can just walk around Pebble and enjoy the beauty and again Saint Andrews, the familiarity of it, the history of it. But I think it's those three And if you're going to do a US Open, I think next year's venue might be the best golf course in America shinnecock Out on the tip of Long Island, but Oakmont is one of those places that's hosted the most in but it's also it's just so famous for being hard. It's just so hard. It's fun for US hacks to watch the best players in the world try to get it around there.
Speaker 2: He Steve Sand's NBC sports play by play announcer, host interviewer working for the Golf Channel as well. When you start to look at what hell this played out, You didn't have big names at the top of the leaderboard, right Why you.
Speaker 11: Know, somebody told me a couple of days ago. I found it interesting. PGA Tour events, week in week out are not set up as difficult as this. So if you're a little bit off your game and you're still the best player in the world, you can get it out of the rough, you can get it up and in around the greens. You can't do that at a US Open. So if the best players in the world are just a little bit off at a regular tour event, they still end up on a leader board, whereas in a US Open, especially a US Open at Oakmont, if you're a little off the target, like Scheffler was, like Rory was, like Shaffley was, like ludvig Oldberg was. You know, if you're top four or five players in the world. Just a hair off of a US Open, you're gonna get punished, and those guys got punished last week.
Speaker 3: Why isn't Rory meeting with the media when he has a bad round?
Speaker 11: You know what's sad?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 11: I forget the night we had dinner. I'm being all kidding aside. We had dinner one night and we were talking about this at dinner, and it's still going on. I think he's really bothered by what happened at the PGA Championship when the USGA and the PGA of America basically threw him under the bus and leaked out that his driver had to get taken away. So did Scotti Scheffler's by the way, Dan, and he went on to win, but his name wasn't leaked out.
Speaker 3: Rory's was.
Speaker 11: He had just won the career Grand Slam. You know, I think that. I think there's a motivation factor going on right now that he's trying to find that gear again. His whole life was geared towards doing something. Now that he's done it, he's naturally kind of taking his foot off the gas a little bit. I think he's upset that his name was leaked out. He didn't like the way the media handled that. The media actually went forward with that, as opposed to perhaps going to him off the record and say, hey, I just found this out. What would you like me to do with it? Because I have to go report it that kind of thing. And I also think he's not playing very well Dan, and I don't think he likes talking about that too often. But I got to tell you, as much as I love Rory, I think you have to be professional and you have to speak when you win and when you lose. Jack Nicholas was the greatest champion in the sport, Dan, he was also the greatest loser in the sport, and I think he needs to man up and speak to the media because you don't want them directing the narrative. You should direct the narrative. And I think he's making a mistake, and I hope he gets back and starts to do what he normally does, because, by the way, Dan, he's so great with the media, he needs to do it. It's not professional.
Speaker 2: Because Jack won eighteen majors. I think he finished runner up nineteen times.
Speaker 11: Yeah, nineteen times. And by the way, Rory is such a good guy and he's so smart and insightful, and he's fabulous with the writers. He's fabulous on podcasts, he's fabulous on fabulous on shows like yours and on TV with us. You know, I hope he gets back to doing it regularly because he's so good at it. But right now he's in a little bit of a funk with the media and he's not giving the media what it wants it. By the way, Dan, one last thing on that he doesn't owe the media. You and I talked about this. No athlete owes the media anything. They're right when they say that. They shouldn't say that out loud, but they don't owe the media anything. They do owe their fans and their sponsors everything. The media just happens to be the conduit between the athlete and the audience, whether it's sponsors or whether it's fans. And I think that players need to get out of the realm of thinking we owe the media something, we owe the fans that sponsors something. The media is just the outlet between the two parties.
Speaker 3: Didn't Rory make you cry?
Speaker 11: He did make me cry at Royal Port Rush in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 5: My mother.
Speaker 11: I'll tell you quick story my mother had just passed away. And you know, you hear from a lot of people. You hear from a lot of family and friends. Clearly you know when your parents pass away or someone close he passes away. In this case, it was my mom. We go to Northern Ireland and I had never heard from Rory. I hadn't seen Rory since my mother had passed away. It had been about three weeks and he missed the cut at Royal Port Rush in his home country, which had all the pressure on his shoulders and his back going into that week, and right before we were about to do the interview on Friday, after missing the cut, after all that emotion from him, he literally looks at Tommy Roy's in my year going okay. Thirty seconds out said great, and Rory looks at me and goes, hey, I didn't want to text you and I hadn't seen you. Puts his hand on my arm and says, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I wanted to make sure I told you that in person, and the yikes stand. I mean we were out on the air, but I was like WHOA. I backed away from the camera, hit the talkback button and said to Tommy. I said to Tommy Roy, you're gonna need a minute. He goes, no, we gotta get so, we gotta get to you. And I go, I'm gonna need a minute. And I looked at Rory a way, you gotta be kidding me, And it was. It was a very very nice moment. Gives you a little bit of insight as to what type of human being he is, which is why we all want to hear from him, whether he wins or loses. But yeah, it was a very very nice say. He definitely got me, and not many people get me, but he got me hard there. Great to talk to you again, Dan, You're the best man. I love it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Steve Sands works for a golf channel, also part of the coverage of the US Open.
Speaker 3: Uh, Roy's a good interview.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's selfish that I mean, I want to hear from him because he has something to say. But you know, Steve Sands brings up some interesting things about that he did get thrown under the bus. You know, when they go, oh, he had an illegal driver, it's not like he did something that was nefarious. It was his driver that the face of it was so beat up it actually gave a benefit to it, I guess, but it was all unintentional and Scottie Scheffler had the same thing. They confiscated his driver as well. He ended up winning the tournament. Sean in Rochester. Hi, Sean, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Wow, it's amazing about really.
Speaker 3: Yes you are, Sean.
Speaker 12: Oh my goodness. Wow.
Speaker 13: I just wanted to comment on your comments from last week. I was trying to get in. I've never tried to call into your show, but I've like listened to the show for a long time. But I felt moved to call into your show because you were just like your comments on Brian Wilson and then it became fly Stone and all that, like we're just so like I didn't like. I know, you guys are a great like sports organization and you understand.
Speaker 12: Sports, that's what you do.
Speaker 13: But I have to say I was just really impressed with the fact that you knew that history of like Brian Wilson and the Beatles and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I love you music. I've been very fortunate.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a household where my brothers were One of my oldest brothers was collecting albums and told me what was good music and thank you for the phone call, and I got I had friends who had cars, so I got to go see concerts. You know when you spend the seventies where you're going to see Errol Smith, Stone's Zeppelin, who David Bowie. I mean, that's every kid's dream and to have that music and then understand who influenced the Beach Boys. I didn't get the Beach Boys until I got the Beach Boys, and then you realize there was so much more to them. And Brian Wilson, you know, the leader of the Beach Boys passing away. But I've always been a sly in the family Stone fan, and I brought this up years ago about them, and then I think Questlove was going to do a documentary, and I thought that's awesome, because you know, we should remember some of these bands and some of these artists and who they influenced. So it's just a love of music, a willingness to understand or listen to something. I didn't get Dylan when I was growing up. It did not get Bob Dylan didn't understand it. It was like, what's the big deal? And all of a sudden it clicked, and then all of a sudden, I became you know, a know it all country. I didn't get it. It was country western when I was growing up. Didn't get it. And then all of a sudden I got it. But I didn't give up on it. You know, sometimes you go you listen to something, you go, nah, not for me. But I kept revisiting it because I was missing.
Speaker 3: So it was me.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden country western became country. And then I got Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings and George Strait, I got Hank Williams and you know, you got that music you under and the great songwriting now to me is country. Some of the great songwriting is country, led by Chris Stapleton. But it took a while, but I love it, you know, I love listening to it. I love when somebody says, hey, try this, Yeah, Marv, Is there an artists that you'd like to interview, just to pick their brain? Like, what were you thinking when you made X.
Speaker 5: Y and Z.
Speaker 2: Well, my problem with the Dylan movie was they don't really get behind the science of this is why I wrote this or how I wrote this? How long it took me? To write that that was my biggest knock on it. But then Dylan doesn't share that. Robert Plant I'd love to interview because he's reticent to talk about Zeppelin. Now there is the Zeppelin documentary, but like they were what they were doing, when they were doing it, how they were doing it, how big they were, Like what is that feeling?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's way.
Speaker 2: Too many musicians, you know McCartney, but I want somebody who has can have some kind of let me look at myself, let me be willing to go back and under you know, hey, I did this, this is why we did this. That's what fascinates me. You know how many times you hear an artist go I wrote it in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: I just had it.
Speaker 2: I had to write it down, and I created this in fifteen minutes. It happens a lot more than you think. And I've been around Darius Rucker where he'll go, I've been you know, I have to put a song away and then I have to come back like three months later, and then you add to it. Then you like you can't, it just doesn't work, and then all of a sudden, then it works. Like I'd have a hard time putting a song to bed where I go it's done, and then you'd go, I give drive me crazy. I'd be like, you know, I'm gonna tweet that I'm gonna go more tambourine there. But I have great appreciation for artists, and that's what musicians are. Their art is, you know, a paint rush with their voice or their instrument, as opposed to an artist who puts something on campus.
Speaker 3: Whoa got a little heavy there.
Speaker 2: How about we take a break, last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I believe JJ Spahn will join us on the program tomorrow. Fritzi's been working on that. Do you remember when he joined us at Pebble Beach and he walked up to me and he said, uh, hi, JJ Spahn, I'm the other black golfer on tour. He was a funny guy. So I was rooting for him because it was a great story out of nowhere. He's won one other time and you're just kind of you bogie. Five of the first six, I'm like, oh, just you know what? It went from he might win to h that was a cute story. Oh you know he was leading after three rounds and all of a sudden, you go, all right, it was a nice story. We got some nice partying gifts, and then all of a sudden he just kept kind of plugging along, plugging along, and then nobody really took control of it. Let me see, is it Saday in Florida? At least that's how it's pronounce or spelled. Is it Soaday?
Speaker 12: It's save Sabe but save.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Tyler wrote sad like it was Saday this singer.
Speaker 12: No, I wish I could say like that. But anyway, first time caller, you guys were amazing five foot nine.
Speaker 3: Point six, Okay.
Speaker 12: I just wanted to chime in on Fritzy's rod deficiency, not disrespectfully, but as a wordsmith myself. I came up with a couple of spawns. Do you want to hear him?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 12: Spawn with the wind?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 12: That rhymes of God from dust till spawn from dust till dog.
Speaker 3: Okay, the name is spawned JJ Okay, I like that. Thank you, sab It was a legitimate right, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I like spawn with with the win, with the win, not the wind there?
Speaker 3: What did tod alrighty uh? Sam? And Iowa? Hi Sam, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey Dan? Thanks for calling back. Yep, yeah, I was. I worked for a brewery here and I when I deliver out the Field of Dreams, seems like you're kind of interested about the Field of Dreams. Every year I'm out there asking if they ever hear from MLB, and they say, we don't know nothing until they show up. Well, guess what. This year, They've showed up and they're moving dirt and they are going to have an MLB game out there next year. So I think, uh, as fresh, you should get on it and start booking a show and maybe do a field show from the right from the field or maybe from the porch of the house. I think it'd be a great, uh great opportunity for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I keep threatening to go on to Iowa. People have been great the response. We're just trying to figure out the right time to be able to do this. I have other things that we're doing this year. And trust me, before I leave, not this earth, but before I leave this show, maybe both. You know that I'll be out there for a show in Iowa. Uh, Lucas and Fort Wayne? Hey, Luke, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan?
Speaker 14: I'll try and be brief, but I got to set the scene. The business I work for is closing its doors in a month, and I've been promised a five hundred dollars bonus if I stay on. Okay, if I remember right, you're from Ohio, Yeah, yeah, okay, so you might know the area I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. M We're planning a golf trip and trying to spend every single cent of this five hundred dollars bonus. Where would you send me so I can get the most extravagant bang for my buck.
Speaker 2: Kiwa would be a lot of fun. It's got a couple of great courses there. It's fun and people were great when I visited Kiowa. So that's the first one off top of my head. But good luck with that, Lucas. There's a lot of courses. But I mean, you want to go that you get kind of everything is included. You don't have to you know, go you don't have to have a car and go places. Now, if you want to go to Pebble. But I don't even think five hundred dollars will pay for a round at Pebble anymore. Fresh in Milwaukee is back, Hi Fresh? What's on your mind?
Speaker 15: What's up?
Speaker 14: DT?
Speaker 15: Well, me and the daughter was watching some WNBA this weekend and we started bringing up some of the greats. So could you do me a favor for the people who may have forgotten or don't know. Could you drop a little knowledge of the female air Jordan Cynthia Cooper.
Speaker 3: Cooper's great.
Speaker 2: Nancy Lieberman, Uh, Cheryl Miller. There's way too many, way too many, Lisa les Kansas Parker. Yeah, there's way too many great women who have played basketball. I actually played in games with Nancy Lieberman, and she was only a woman when it started, because when you started to play, you forgot all about that. She knew how to play and wasn't afraid of anybody there. And we're playing against guys who were on the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Dion played. We had.
Speaker 2: Ken Norton, he was a linebacker, so you had athletes on the floor and Nancy she was running the floor?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: Boy? Could she pass seton?
Speaker 2: Would you give us a final results of the poll questioned Paul. In the meantime, how about this day in sports history.
Speaker 6: Eighteen eighty three day and the New York Giants baseball team admitted all ladies free to the ballpark. It was the first ladies Day. Yeah, I have more of those players. Nineteen thirty eight, Jimmy Fox of the Red Sox had was walked six times in a game. That was the record. Nineteen seventy five, this was a I think we could say who won this trade? Milwaukee Bucks traded Kareem abdul Jabar to the Lakers in nineteen seventy and Walt Wesley.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Walt Wesley was thrown in there too.
Speaker 2: See two big men go to the Lakers for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Dave Myers, and Junior Bridgeman. Elmore Smith was a defensive minded center, Brian Winters a great shooter. Dave Myers was I feel bad. He was kind of known as Anne Myers brother and was drafted by the Indiana Pacers. But Dave played at UCLA and a very good player. Junior Bridgeman became a billionaire businessman and was a really good basketball player just recently passed away. But I would say the Lakers got the better end of that.
Speaker 6: We had a workshop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm not quite sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and I'm going to say I think the Lakers got the better end of that.
Speaker 3: Let's go around the room.
Speaker 2: If we learned anything, Oh Seaton final results of the pole question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Todd's inability to rhyme. Is it deliberate or just a funny quirk that he is right now? People are going sixty one percent? Just a funny quirk. It's not a deliberate bit by him, Todd. Would you learn today?
Speaker 3: Aaron Judges currently minus twenty thousand to win the MVP.
Speaker 4: Aw Seeden, What did you learn Steve Sanson's stories?
Speaker 3: Marvin? You make time for Steve Stands?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 12: I do?
Speaker 1: Paul?
Speaker 6: I still don't know where tight End University.
Speaker 3: Is Nashville, Ah, Paul or uh? Todd? What did I learn today?
Speaker 5: We all learned.
Speaker 11: You have a tough time believing Desmond Bane is the missing piece for the Orlando Magic.
Speaker 3: Have a great day, everybody. Talk to you tomorrow.