Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome from the Chris Westlink podcast studio to another episode of Around the NFL. But it's a special one. It's the Trade Deadline Special. Dan hanss here with heroes Greg Rosenthal and Mark Sessler. Boys, the deadline has recorded. This is one week away. Pinch yourselves. I love this time of year.
Speaker 2: I love a little team building, and I love the fact that the NFL trade deadlines starting to make progress, starting to catch up to the Major League Baseball in the NBA Trade Deadline Act players.
Speaker 1: Sestog listen to this. Yeah, what about the fact that I've been using sestog more lately? Is that a nod to money? Is it just the natural evolution of things, your thoughts? Natural revolution? I accept it. I don't comfortable with it.
Speaker 3: I don't have a lot of control over what happens.
Speaker 1: Whiet Storm Mark with a C.
Speaker 3: Like every couple of months we learned that some athlete has taken quiet Storm is their nickname to it.
Speaker 4: I fine, Oh, they're trying to take your name. They have no idea exists.
Speaker 1: I don't want to give that away. Maybe all right, Quiet storming to it just as and we have a special guest just about to join us before we bring him in a quick reminder like Greg saying, NFL is making strides and making the trade deadline a thing which always made sense, but now gms and teams aren't so afraid. Last year, these are some of the key names moved at the deadline. Christian McCaffrey, TJ. Hokinson, Bradley Chubb, Chase Claypool, Chase Claypool Mistake, Roquan Smith, Calvin Ridley, Robert Quinn all ahead of the deadline last year. So you would assume. We don't want to assume too much, but there will be big moves to come this week as well, So without any other delay, let's welcome in a man who knows this business of news in the NFL, and he's gonna help take us through it a little bit. What to be on the lookout for with the deadline a week away? Here he comes, Mike Garifolo us up, body, what's happening boys?
Speaker 5: How are we? We are?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 5: H deadliney?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You feel is to take you back to the old newsroom days, and in Jersey, I believe it was where you were up against deadline and you just you needed to plug in a landline into a phone line so you could send it to your editor in time. I mean, just bring back those memories. You're like, I gotta beat Glover on this story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was the competition of the of the dial up days.
Speaker 5: It doesn't quite go back.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 5: I probably dialed up a few times on that gig Listen.
Speaker 6: Back then, the deadline was like a you know, we'll check in at three fifty nine and nothing.
Speaker 7: Okay, good thought, so see you guys later.
Speaker 5: You know. Now it's sort of a thing.
Speaker 6: The one year I think really spoiled it for for a lot of other years. The year where Jimmy Garoppolo and Dwayne Brown, there's another it all happened on that last day, Like that year kind of came out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: Since then, we've had some action.
Speaker 6: I don't know that it's quite lived up to that one year, which is twenty seventeen if I'm not mistaken, but.
Speaker 1: We're last year was pretty good. Mike Well, I mean, you got CMC on the move, for instance, and you've been covering the league for a long time. Why do you think we've seen the deadline shift into a more active place. Is it a copycat league? Like right down to something like this ultimately a.
Speaker 6: Little bit, and I think you've got a new generation of GM. In a lot of times, it's a younger generation of GM that's willing to part with picks to make moves. The traditionalists like to hold on to their picks and their compics kind of build their draft through that and get as much draft capital as you possibly can. Some of these young guys are willing to take this shot here. I always thought it was made more sense to you your draft capital now rather than have because if you've got a guy now and you keep them.
Speaker 5: Let's use Sakwon.
Speaker 6: Barkley as an example, Right, you keep Sakuon Barkley, you go through this year, he goes into the offseason, he signs in the spring of twenty twenty four. You're not using that pick that you're gonna get for him, that compick until April twenty twenty five. Whereas, yeah, maybe you're gonna get a little less potentially for a guy right now, but at least it's now part of that capital that you have immediately, or if it's a player for player or something like that.
Speaker 5: I've always thought that the weight for the.
Speaker 6: Satisfaction why do that when you can get something a little sooner.
Speaker 2: I wrote an article, I think it was the Eagles Patriots Super Bowl, noting that those two teams had made more trades than any teams in the NFL that decade. And it's like it is a bit of a copycat league. It's worked like teams. You can only acquire players in a certain amount of ways. Free agency, the draft and trades, and free agency gets worse and worse every year, So I think people are willing to do it. They did it with McCaffrey last year. You mentioned Saquon let's go there, he's not getting traded. We hear, like, what is that dance like?
Speaker 1: There? It's a little confusing. And I know that the Giants won yesterday.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of one win teams that won, and I don't know if that's gonna hurt the market at all. But do you think guys like adri Jackson is on my free agency list, Leonard Williams is on it?
Speaker 1: Those guys seem like logical trade candidates.
Speaker 6: Paris Campbell a guy that they signed and it certainly expected more of now. He had a lot of incentives built into his contract that he had to earn on that one year deal. So that's a guy that we could see on the move. Definitely would be available if the team came with a proper compensation. Not sure that that's gonna happen. But go back to Saquon. Who is your original question here?
Speaker 7: It is confusing.
Speaker 6: It's equal parts confusing and fascinating to me the way that the Giants have handled the Saquon Barkley thing, because they were not that far away on a long term deal when it came time to do the deadline, or it came time for the deadline to do a long term deal with Saquon Barkley back in July, to the point where I knew how close they were with a day and a half to go, I want to say, and I said, Okay, that's the kind of gap that's bridged. This deal is getting done, and it never did. The Giants didn't budge. And then after that, I said to myself, Okay, well, Takuon Barkley's gonna play out twenty twenty three season and then he's done as a Giant. And I got this indication that we would love to have him around and we're gonna make another run at this after the season and we feel like we can get a long term deal done. I was like, you guys were right at the doorstep, and now you're gonna do that.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: So now we get up to the trade deadline. Season hasn't started the way that we thought it might for the Giants. Maybe they're gonna sell off Saquon Barkley, and the.
Speaker 5: Reporters asked him about it.
Speaker 6: He said, I don't want to be traded, and I did a little digging last week and was told that they basically told him, you're not going anywhere.
Speaker 5: We're keeping you.
Speaker 6: We still would love It's like all this talk of we'd love for you to be around, it's not a regime that A drafted him or b would ever use a pick that high to draft a running back. So there's kind of been a couple of times where you're like, all right, here, they're out to get out for Saquon Barkley, and yet they keep kind of digging in and saying, no, we'd love to have you around for luck. So listen, it's gonna come to a head this offseason either way. But to sit here two weeks ahead of the deadline before that two game stretch that really was going to determine whether they were buyers or sellers.
Speaker 5: Which a lot of teams are in right now. I mean, if teams have told.
Speaker 6: Other teams, yeah, we understand that you've have some interest in maybe some of our players. Check back in a couple of weeks. We want to see where we are. Because there's not a great spread between the bottom of the conference in both conferences, between the bottom and a playoff spot, so a lot of teams were in waiting mode.
Speaker 5: The Giants are one of them.
Speaker 1: It's a huge middle classes, as you're saying. And I think one thing that's fascinating about this, Sessdog is how the trade deadline is Tuesday thirty. First, you got football on Sunday, and it's like that's where it's gonna get really interesting. So let's say the Giants, and this wouldn't be the worst outcome, get wiped by the Jets on Sunday. They have a very quick turnaround now to decide them amongst other teams are gonna have bad Sundays? Right? Is it time to be sellers as opposed to buyers?
Speaker 3: I just I wonder I know what the Giants, for instance, the coach and front office married at the hip. Like they're very they're going to see things a similar way. But it's kind of tough to time to tell your coaching staff we're gonna move someone like Saquon Barkley, We're gonna move X, Y and Z.
Speaker 4: I would like to ask a question about the Eagles.
Speaker 3: So I know you were with the Eagles as recently as last night. To Greg's point, Howie Roseman's always been super active, aggressive, and they're out there one of those teams, It's like, yes, absolutely, they're on the doorway of another Super Bowl. Like Dave got secondary injuries all over the place. Do you have you heard anything about them doing what they normally do, which is go out and add a couple guys to round out that roster.
Speaker 6: While they're doing what they normally do and that they knows around, they're always in on stuff. How we there's not a call that he's afraid to make because he does investigate everything and sometimes it results in the kind of information that.
Speaker 5: Leads to a deal.
Speaker 6: And he's maybe ahead of some other teams because he's willing to have those conversations. I'm not saying he's some kind of genius. It's just that's his method and he's always going to go that way. So, yeah, they have been, and I know that they've had conversations about guys in the secondary who might be available, who might not be available. They don't tend to spend a lot of money at the safety position. That's why they were they were connected. The Buddha baker doesn't make sense because you have to trade for him and give him top dollars. Yeah, which which would be sort of more of a rental. I mean they've been connected as somebody connected than the Kyle Dugger.
Speaker 5: That would be a guy that they'd have to pay.
Speaker 6: I mean, they've paid safeties, but it's usually kind of like that one step down kind of deal.
Speaker 7: It's not that top of the.
Speaker 5: Market type deal.
Speaker 6: And Kyle Dugger, from my understanding, is looking for big money from the Patriots or from anybody who would be his next team. Uh, So they've been in some conversations. I wouldn't be surprised if if they make some kind of addition. I just I don't I don't think it's a splash thing because they they've certainly spent their money in the second they're at the cornerback position to bring back both Darius Slay, who had a big play against the Dolphins, as wells James Brebray.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm hanging up the phone if Roseman calls me in.
Speaker 2: This worke advantage of the vacuum that is in the marketplace because the GM app has not been ted. Dan has been trying to say, overdue DM app where people, you know, they social media app where you can post your play by this and everyone can see it in the.
Speaker 1: Right who can beat this? And how many times? I mean, how many times is the return on a trade underwhelming? If he just would have truly gave someone else one last chance on the open market of the information super Highway. And enough of that, Mike, Hey, how about the Vikings. So as we tape this, they got the Niners on Monday night and who knows, maybe Cousins goes off without Jefferson and they have a huge game and all of a sudden, in a wide open NFC playoff picture, they're believing in themselves. Well, we thought about the Browns last week. With the Niners, you never know, but let's focus on Kirk Cousins, which were told or we've heard reported even though his contract is coming up here and they made a very purposeful decision to let this year play out. That he's not going to accept the trade. However, we'll see what happens. And then the other big name and on the other side of the ball, Daniel Hunter, who is one of the leading sac artists in the league. That probably, I would imagine is far more likely. But let's start with Cousins. Any chance, any chance at all. I would love it, we would all love from a storyline perspective. But could he be moved? How about that Cleveland? Come on, I.
Speaker 6: Find it the Cleveland thing is whole. The whole Cleveland thing is weird, by the way. I'll get to that in a second. I find it very very much a long shot for that to happen. The hardest part with a quarterback.
Speaker 5: All right, let's.
Speaker 6: Say like the excess and O is the playbook, all that stuff, like he's got to get used to that and acclimated and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Okay, great, But.
Speaker 6: Then there's also the I mean, how many times do we talk about it? In April and May and June, this guy's holding a passing camp with his targets because they're gonna work at the facility at OTA's and then they're gonna work by themselves of it because they gotta get that timing down.
Speaker 5: They gotta get that rhythm, that chemistry.
Speaker 6: Like that's the other part of a quarterback coming in the middle of the season, because you're really not getting those full speed reps during end season practices the way that you would, let's say during training camp when you're kind of going all out because you don't have a game coming up in a couple of days. So that's what just makes it so difficult to trade for a quarterback on top of all the financial stuff that would come on top of that, as well as the compensation that you have to get back for guys. So I find it very hard to believe that that Cousins is.
Speaker 5: Going to be on the move here.
Speaker 6: Daniel Huntery, Yeah, I think that that's a possibility, And these sides before the season came to an agreement to just get him back on the field and in the fold. So now it's at the point where an edge rusher, and we saw it with Bradley Chubb last year, it's a lot easier to take that guy and kind of plug him in and let.
Speaker 5: Him do his own thing.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's a scheme upfront everything you're working with, but in a lot of ways, he can kind of just do what he does and he doesn't need a lot of time to get acclimated with his teammates.
Speaker 1: Well, he's also thirty years old.
Speaker 2: He's one of the best addressers right now, so he'd give a team a boost, kind of like von Miller when he was traded a few years ago. But the Vikings clearly didn't want to meet his price or he would be signed long term. And he has a no trade clause as part of that no tag clause as part of that contract rather, so it's like that that really spells a you know, QUESSI is looking at this their GM, like, why would I not get a second round type of pick or something good? Brian Burns was offered like a lot of stuff a year ago. Actually, you know, I'm gonna stick with past rush. Do you think Burns? Chase Young is another name. I feel like this just would like logically make sense because he's having a nice season, But I don't see him getting resigned there because Montes Sweat is also a free agent, which.
Speaker 6: I believe that they at least had exploratory discussions with Sweat. I'm not saying that they haven't had him with with Chase Young, but my understanding is they've at least set the table for Montese Sweat there.
Speaker 7: It's hard.
Speaker 6: I mean, when you draft that many guys up front and they've done a really good job. I think they've probably signed more already than I thought they were gonna sign, with being able to get Jonathan Allen.
Speaker 5: Extended Duran Pain extended.
Speaker 6: When I you've got these two edge guys that you got to make a decision on, and you know, they didn't give Young the fifth year option, and they said, well, that'll be kind of a motivational thing, kind of, you know, get him to prove that we can make the long term commitment to you, which is what you say, but I think it was in large part because he's had an injury history, and do we really want to fully guarantee that money to this guy. We could always franchise tag him if we have to, So I don't know. I mean, again, they're part of that cluster of teams that is still in the mix. No matter how disappointed you could be when you lose to the Chicago Bears at home on a Thursday night a couple of weeks ago, and then drop a game to the Giants that was certainly went up all the way that the Giants let them hang around in that one. So you got to make a decision do you want to be kind of at the back end of that. To me, if I'm the Commanders, you've got a new owner in there, which is always the catalyst for cleaning house, So it's not like you're saving up anything for the future, like win now and do what you have to do. So to me, if I'm the Commanders, I hold on to Chase Young. We'll see as we get closer to the deadline.
Speaker 3: What about a team like the Titans, who are you know, in a division where if you got on a hot streak, you're alive potentially, But they feel kind of like clinging to the past because I think there were whispers in the offseason that someone like Ryan Tannehill might fit in Atlanta that you know, he's hurt right now. But then Dereck Henry type figure, It's like, is Derrick Henry part of the future in Tennessee or do you think they would be potential sellers? If someone dialed up and said, we'd like to act Dereck Henry to our potential Super Bowl roster.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's lock in on Henry because I think that that's certainly the most interesting storyline there.
Speaker 5: It's I think you still got enough left.
Speaker 6: You're getting to the point of the season where you want to run the ball. You want to run the ball physically. This is a guy that could do with running backs also a position.
Speaker 5: And this is why rookies are show successful. You come into the NFL.
Speaker 6: Yes, their scheme again, I understand that, but it's also see the hole, find the hole, hit the hole. That's why you can acclimate as a rookie quickly. As a veteran changing teams, you're certainly capable of doing that as well. I would absolutely if I'm a team looking for a physical presence, a physical runner down the stretch, would certainly look at Derrick Henry as the possibility.
Speaker 5: If I was a GM, and.
Speaker 6: If it cost me a little more than I'm comfortable giving up, I'm fine with it because that is a message to your locker room, your offensive line, and certainly the defense they're gonna have to tackle that guy because he's still to me, a punishing, powerful runner.
Speaker 5: I've seen that on display this year.
Speaker 1: And Henry, I'm just looking at his financial situation. This is the last year of guaranteed money on his deal as well, right, so that makes it even easier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sounds right.
Speaker 2: The Kevin Byerd was another guy that they sort of had a contract stuff with. Like it is tough though, if you're a Titans team. It's the tricky part, Like, I don't know who the sellers are. Do you have any any teams kind of just off the top of your head that you think are looking for anything specifically or buyers out there in general.
Speaker 5: I go right to.
Speaker 6: Denver and sorry, one of you guys said it just a couple of minutes ago, about you tell your coaching staff that you're taking talent away. I think in the case of the Broncos with Sean Payton, he's okay with setting this up for the long haul, and he spent this season, or at least the early part of the season. I think trying to figure out whore is, Guys, which piece is fit moving forward. Jerry Judy is the obvious one that we've continued to track here. There's a lot of untapped potential there. We've seen it at times. I thought he really played well down the stretch in twenty twenty two. I thought that that was going to be the point at which he turns the corner and carries that forward to this year, especially with Sean Payton, uh a good offensive mind coming in as the head coach. I'm very disappointed in the production for Jerry. I shouldn't stay disappointed.
Speaker 5: I'm not his dad.
Speaker 1: That's Steve certainly good buddy, Steve. That's yeah, Steve.
Speaker 5: Steve is disciplined by the way Steve again.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, I was just going to say that I don't know if you would caught win with my parallel that I drew from that infamous night on Thursday Night of Football where I kind of said you reminded me of a Mike Myers next to Kanye during the Katrina telethon.
Speaker 6: I heard that one a couple of times. I've also been I've also.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since then, I've als met I thought I was original.
Speaker 5: That was good, No, not, while you're always original.
Speaker 6: I've also heard meeting gene Oakerland and I was kind of standing there and pretending to be which which I feel like a lot of times is what I do.
Speaker 1: That's bald you know though, that's you know people, it's baldness.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not fair, it's pseudo serious journalists, you know that, that kind of thing. And then I did it again the other day when when Pella Sero had his unfortunate slip of the tongue. Yeah, and trying to say that Justin Tucker raged a sixty yard field goal, which we totally blew it.
Speaker 5: We just did our insider show on Monday.
Speaker 6: The Ravens won thirty eight to six, five touchdowns, one field goal, and as the show was wrapping up, I said to Andrew Groover, our producer, I was like, why did we not like we should have just run Justin Tucker's field goal and just been like, and here's Justin Tucker.
Speaker 5: I agno idea how long it was, here's Justin Tucker.
Speaker 7: Hear forty three yard field goal or whatever.
Speaker 5: It wound up being. We totally was.
Speaker 1: I was told I wasn't allowed to play that, which annoyed me because I'm really looking to escalate a potential feud with a pel Rais and I feel like that would have taken it up a notch. Some in house certainly heat speaking of that real quick, no more, we don't want it too far away. But what's it like doing that show? Because pel Raiser and Ian clearly hate each other, and you know, they both want to be the King of the Mount and then you're once again, uh you know, Mike Myerst, I'll just call in the middle of like this like typhoon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I kind of float right, you know, like I'm okay kind of sneaking in there and having a couple of scoops and then getting out and you know, going doing.
Speaker 5: Whatever else I do with Steve Smith and all that stuff.
Speaker 6: Like I'm more of the five tool player, right. These guys they're power hitters. They're they're swinging for the fences every time, so that that can lead to some friction.
Speaker 7: As a matter of fact, I can tell the full story.
Speaker 6: Uh, Tom had a Nick Bolton uh dislocated wrist scoop today. He's gonna be out two months. He needs surgery. And he gave he gave me in the kind of okie doke about that because we were talking about injuries and we were we were going through the list of injuries going into that show, and they had put Nick Bolton on the A list, like we gotta hit Nick Bolton, and was like, like Nick Bolton's a really good player, but like linebacker versus quarterback, skill position guy, like we should bump him down or whatever. And then after the show was over, like he had the Nick Bolton map for two and Ian's like, so you downplay his importance not from a football standpoint, from a sexy skill position because.
Speaker 7: That's what sells when it comes to injuries and stuff.
Speaker 6: And then you go out and you steal the scoop there, like he lulled Ian the sleep, So I I gotta go back and check. Ian said he wasn't going to retweet it out of protest, which.
Speaker 2: Is this is one of the biggest scoops the ATM media insider Dan Hansen says.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly unhealthy and I love it in terms of dynamic. Yeah, Mike, let's get back on track though. Where were we we were talking? Oh yeah, so you're talking Judy the Broncos, maybe Courtland Sutton in the mix, Maybe all these names that feelings we've been hearing for years, that these guys have been on the block, doesn't finally happen this week?
Speaker 6: If the Broncos don't make at least one move, one sizeable significant move before absolutely before you know they've They've given up draft capital in the last couple of years for Russell Wilson, so a lot of times restock in the cupboard in any way you can and kind of get in some of that back with this is the regime that you know wasn't I mean Peyton wasn't a part of that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: I If they don't make a move here, particularly because some of these pieces don't seem to fit for whatever reason with Sean Payton and he's setting himself up for the long haul, I'd be absolutely flored if they don't make a move and they've sold it like well, we're not looking to sell anybody, but anybody can call us. My understanding and it's been told to me by several gms, is the Broncos kind of said like here's the menu, like you know, let us know what you want and.
Speaker 1: Make its not on that menu, though, is he?
Speaker 6: I That would floor me, Like I've heard there's the cornerstone pieces.
Speaker 2: I've like heard other like fan base even beat reporters being like, hey, we should just offer a second for Patrick's certain. It's like, yeah, you think you should like the best young cornerback in the league is just gonna be available for a second round pick. And it's like, I think that, I think that's a switchfle thinging, but you never know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it would absolutely floor me because then we talk, well, yeah, okay, I understand that.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well you're gonna get this uh draft capital back, and then what are you gonna do with it?
Speaker 5: You're gonna go out there.
Speaker 6: It reminds me of the Khalil Mack trade when the Raiders traded Khalil Mack and then John Gruden was like, well, you don't just find Khalil max on trees.
Speaker 5: We had to go out and find.
Speaker 1: What you had one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're gonna trade this stuff away, then you gonna go get another one.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna let you go now because you're a very busy man. And of course check him out on the Insiders and he's all over NFL network. Is there one kind of big name out there and all pro type guy that we.
Speaker 3: Had the Odell Beckham story, remember before anyone else, Once upon a time.
Speaker 1: Is there a star out the march? You're hearing some whispers or just anything a little rumbling beneath the surface that could be in play. I don't want to put you on the spot here.
Speaker 6: And well, but you're asking the question I've heard from multiple GM, which is it seems kind of quiet right now, and they're all afraid that they're they're missing something. So I've kind of heard that, like, is there's anything, Is there there something missing here? Like I don't want to miss an opportunity, They're so scared of thing stuff go down and be reported, and.
Speaker 1: It's like you need the GM, Yeah, the GM, the GM, So I need guys donloaded. All right, Thank you, Mike. We appreciate you. Thanks Mike.
Speaker 5: I would never trade you.
Speaker 1: Right back at you, buddy, all right, stay right there, we'll be right back to close things out. All right, we're back. Always great talking to Mike. Uh, he's a good dude. And who having the scenes at the Insiders.
Speaker 3: That's something that try not surprise the trade there as well, in the least that there's some Dan is.
Speaker 2: Way more excited about that. I don't blame him.
Speaker 1: It was that was just there is something Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Does it feel like a quiet? It does feel quiet. I just I don't know. Is it one of those things the names were like, are we going to get We didn't seek see them coming.
Speaker 1: There's two ways to look at it. It's one of those things like it's quiet, it's almost too quiet, right, But I think that was interesting what Mike said right at the end there, which was if and I'm sure this happens all the time, like GMS in front office people are calling the insiders and they're like, hey, you're hearing anything because they don't want to miss out. But you imagine there's gonna be at least one you with a seismic move and just figuring out who it does. I keep I keep coming back to DeVante Adams. Yeah, I keep coming back to where the Raiders are, which it just seems they're on the doorstep of a almost necessary rebuild. And he's a guy that's already spoken out that he needs the ball more. It's a team going nowhere. He's a guy I think he's thirty years old at this point. He is someone that makes so much sense as a final piece. He's a name that when I think about what would not surprise me, Saquon also would not surprise me the way and there's interesting that they're obviously and I know that Ti and Mas like it's, uh, the Maras are more the personnel side and the Tishes are more of the business side. But it also sounds like there's some heads budding in that building.
Speaker 2: Wonder when when Mike says that the whole SEC one thing is confusing to me, that's like, well, there's the front office and the coach and then ownership, and that's when.
Speaker 3: Particularly with that team with the Giants, But I won't with Adams. I feel like players are more empowered obviously than ever before by leaps and bounds, and Adams has squawked in the off season.
Speaker 4: He's squawked a couple of weeks ago, and it's like there.
Speaker 3: Is time, if you're a displeased player in your situation, to raise a little bit of cane between now and the deadline where maybe it's like whatever the Raiders have said about trading DeVante Adams, what it gets difficult enough where it's like you.
Speaker 2: Need to listen and here's what Aams done in a way that NBA players have for instance, James Harden, oh what he's doing right now, but.
Speaker 4: It would be heading towards that closer to that than a way.
Speaker 2: And the Raiders did leak out, assuming it was from their end through ESPN this weekend that they they've told teams they aren't trading devontamers, or maybe it was the other teams that said it. Like some people just like but things could change. I think so much.
Speaker 1: Ryan Hooyer will make you change. He is a guy that will fetch at least the first round pick. I know we always seem to tend to overrate these trade scenarios and then the what comes back isn't nearly as large, leading to talk about a GM app. But I think Adams is an example of that that. I think they could get a lot of future uh draft capital a team that needs it, that needs to kind of figure out what they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I made a list and there's a lot of names, but I'll give us some name.
Speaker 1: Salad hit us.
Speaker 2: The problem is those teams that won yesterday, those four to one win teams I think could potentially take You know, are the Patriots really going to be sellers?
Speaker 1: I just why does?
Speaker 2: But you know what I get it? Like you see them doing that? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Why why?
Speaker 3: Because you've gone from look you don't want to give up or send the messages are giving up. But if you go from one win to two and depending on who you beat and what happened, like, why suddenly are we locking down the friends?
Speaker 2: This is why you got to plash the trade deadline back. I say this every year, Just push it two weeks back. It's so early that it's almost impossible, uh to be out of it.
Speaker 1: But here's some name.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Chase Young is is a really interesting He's quietly played really well this.
Speaker 1: He was great against the Giants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice to see Jalen Johnson is your number one coverage graded quarterback or cornerback. Sorry for the Chicago Bears. He's had a very up and down career, like a lot of young cornerbacks like his good is really good. Uh, they're going nowhere. I don't know if they're gonna sign sign him long term. So he's someone I think he'd be like, Wow, they got a two for Jalen Johnson. But it's like Jalen Johnson's worth more than Chase Claypool was a year ago. Dante Jackson is.
Speaker 1: Old that thought, we have a trade breaking.
Speaker 2: News, but real perfect better No Jalen Johnson, Well, that would be crazy.
Speaker 1: I would feel like an amazing oh and very Rappa board. You could tell by the lack of characters. He's like, I gotta get this out before. According to a source, the Eagles are trading for Kevin by R. Did he come up today? I just I just I said by it.
Speaker 2: I just sort of jammed it into the Titans question. I said, well, Byered was a guy they sort of had contract issues with in the off season.
Speaker 1: He wanted, how about that a raise? And then he got a pay cut. On topic, the veteran safety to a Eagles team. That and we brought up the Eagles as well, Yeah, that has been kind of besieged by injuries in their secondary and needed some help in that regard. So you get you got an instant potential difference maker there. And again I say, never trade, never trade with the Eagles, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Mike jeez, you know, discover that information just as we did and done and yeah, he you.
Speaker 1: Know what he discovered. He was like, I could have had that if I weren't talking to the bozo.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's good.
Speaker 2: That's not a good he'd just say, and there goes how he's dB move. I guess yes, our our Eagles defensive back conversation was there. But that that makes sense because I don't think they're going to pay him. He's just along for the ride. He's in the last year of his contract. He's a really smart, good player. Oh I'm wrong there. I am glad I checked this out. He is not in the last year of his contract. I was confused because they did try to redo it. I think they actually got him. They asked him to take a pay cut and he said no, and they did the rare move of like.
Speaker 1: Oh, actually, you call their bluff. We're not going to cut you. We like you. And they kept him.
Speaker 2: But it spoke to something uncomfortable in that relationship. But unless the Eagles feel like it, they can keep him under salary next year for about thirteen million dollars. I mean, it's a lot for a safety, but it's not outrageous.
Speaker 1: And you know, justin Graver and all the other Titans fans, that's a clear signal that they are sellers. And another thing to point to you now that is Derrick Henry on the move and whoever else could be on the move but Henry again, and that was interesting also that Mike g said, Okay, that's the name to center on both. I think because it's interesting to talk about and because it makes so much sense. And what he said about how running backs can hit the ground running with a new team because the scheme isn't you know, it's not team dependent as much very interesting. I would imagine he's gone now. I think he's gonna But I'm trying to think, like, who would trade for the.
Speaker 4: Team I thought in the offseason would have fit.
Speaker 3: Would have been the Bills, but they James Cook's been very good, so maybe not necessary.
Speaker 1: How oft the Bucks. I guess I'm just thinking about teams who could see themselves use Baltimore.
Speaker 2: They could use it running back Baltimore. To me, he just seems like someone that they would trade for. And I like Gus Edwards, but I think they want to run the ball a lot. They they just are the home for wayward veterans that it's like, oh, Kyle van Noy, like, come along and have your best season in five years out of nowhere in Gadavian Clowney and they're just like good at getting those guys and Henry.
Speaker 3: What if the Spicy Texans continue to win and trade it for Derrick Henry.
Speaker 1: Would they trade? They wouldn't?
Speaker 2: I feel like in the division I do not is a in a seller I call divish seller mode. Plus I have Damian Pearson my fantasy really waiting for that to work out. Oh you should have led with that Brian Burns. Yes, I mean he's a big time player. He's a free agent. The Panthers are zero and six, so I'm like, who's definitely could be a seller?
Speaker 1: You would think the Panthers.
Speaker 2: We actually heard that they're looking for a wide receiver, which is interesting, but I think that would make me be more of a Calvin Ridley type of situation. I know really was suspended, so that was unique. But it's like, is there someone out there that we could trade for and.
Speaker 1: Then sign long term.
Speaker 2: Darnall Mooney to me is a NFL receiver.
Speaker 1: He he fits well, chucks a box well.
Speaker 2: What I mean is by that is like darnohman, who's not gonna get everyone excited. We're not going to get the emergency podcasts for him. But he could absolutely be in your top three receivers on a very good passing offense, and like so many teams need guys like that. He's a deep threat that I think would be worth going on.
Speaker 4: What about someone like Carl Lawson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they could dump him for Yeah, he'll be most likely on the move as well. There's so many names, so Dalvin Cook from the Jets as well. I wonder if they try to unload him because he certainly has not established himself here. By the way, some trade terms, the Titans get back a player safety, Terrell Edmunds, and a fifth and sixth rounder. Something tells me that that's not exactly what Titans fans are hoping for there, So basically two Day three draft picks and Edmunds, who's a downgrade from Bayern.
Speaker 2: So that's too bad because Edmunds did great work on Mike last week at the Philadelphia Phillies game. It was kind of like a viral. Oh right, I think it was him and might have been DeAndre Swift. I forget what it was. And then he's traded. You know, who's just getting used to the It's a.
Speaker 1: Tough thing being a professional athlete. You know what I saw in the athletic too, which it just feels it.
Speaker 2: I know it was like a random column, but it's like a Browns columnists saying the Browns really need to trade for Jacoby Brissette back, and I was like, hey, I don't think it's gonna happen, because why would Washington feel like doing that? And like, why would the Browns give up anything that would make it worth it for Washington? Is more my point, like why do it unless you're getting like a third or fourth and that just seems a little.
Speaker 3: They also let Josh Dobbs go, So the Browns have done a somewhat mysterious job right letting backup quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: The themis could potentially be available if someone needed a quarterback, but I think the Jets are now out of that market.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine trading Jamis Winston in the middle of the season and then saying, here's the playbook, and now be our starting quarterback. Good luck?
Speaker 2: Well, like if a team good luck to you, I don't know who it would be. The Browns, I suppose, are the best examples, just like we're not sure if our quarterback is gonna be healthy, and we're not really sure about PJ.
Speaker 1: Walker bringing us to the playoffs one two in a row.
Speaker 4: I mean, you like Deshaun Watson in theorious start next.
Speaker 1: Week there in backup play, kind of in purgatory. All right, so good stuff. Thank you again to Mike Garafolo, who is always great on the show. And just a little tease a little later in the week with Colleen Wolf, we're gonna have some more trade fun. I'll leave it at that and you can probably figure it out, all right. Big busy week ahead of us on around the NFL. It's just getting started. Remember we have Monday Night Football, the recap coming up later. NFL Plus is back. Game of the Week is Brown b Cults. Check it all out and he the call.