Speaker 1: The Craig Ferguson Pants on Fire Tour is on sale now. It's a new show, it's new material, but I'm afraid it's still only me, Craig Ferguson on my own, standing on a stage telling comedy words. Come and see me, buy tickets, bring your loved ones, or don't come and see me. Don't buy tickets and don't bring your loved ones. I'm not your dad. You come or don't come, but you should at least know what's happening, and it is. The tour kicks off late September and goes through the end of the year and beyond. Tickets are available at the Craig Ferguson Show dot com slash tour. They are available at the Craig Ferguson show dot com slash tour or at your local outlet in your region. My name is Craig Ferguson. The name of this podcast is Joy. I talk to interest in people about what brings them happiness. On the show today, my guest is an author, public speaker, and academic, very very very clever person and if you haven't read any of her work, I urge you to have a crack at it. She's really clever, and I don't agree with her on everything, and that's even more interesting. Please enjoy Roxane Gay with the microphone with your finger there, so I'm all enough. It's funny though, because you do have a quiet voice, and and I'm I but I thought it'd be that. But you have a very loud voice, but not necessarily in volume correct.
Speaker 2: When I'm writing, I'm very loud, and other than that, I'm actually pretty quiet.
Speaker 1: I think that actually being quiet when you're talking is a way to make people lean in. I think it's like, wait, what what? What's what's she saying? The I you you're a very a person of many of opinions. I've been reading a lot of your opinions, and I think because you've been doing this for quite a while. By the way, you're my first doctor of philosophy, so I'm very excited to because I want to ask you about philosophy in a doctoral sense. But have you ever read do you ever write things? Because you've been doing this for a while, do you ever look back at stuff you've had an opinion on and go I really don't feel that way anymore. I don't know what I'm going to do about that.
Speaker 2: Not really, and it's not because I got it right the first time. It's just that most of the things that I believe in are for me, fundamental human rights, and so, if anything, I've gotten more progressive over time. I think the more comfortable I become, the more I recognize that everyone should have a certain level of comfort, and so it just pushes me further left. The one thing I know that I sort of have gotten wrong, and there's an essay in one of my first books, Bad Feminists, where I talk about how amazing Bill Cosby is, So you know, I definitely got that wrong.
Speaker 1: But I think we all got that wrong. I wouldn't pick yourself up on you know, you weren't the only one I actually was fascinated by. Did you ever see Dave Chappelle's take on the whole Cosby thing? Because it was fascinating when he was talking about how you can admire someone so much and then find out something really horrible about him, and what do you do? You know, I mean, obviously he phrased it or framed it in a comedic sense, but it's a weird thing. Do you ever meet people that you admire? Because I've done this a lot. You meet people you admire and go eh, particularly actually, you know, God, be honest sometimes writers because they can be two different personalities.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have met a lot of people I admire. I've been pretty lucky for the most part. I've had really good experiences. But there is a disappointment sometimes where you have an idea of someone and then you have to confront the reality of them and recognize. You know, performers are performing and then when they're not in front of the camera, they're themselves and we don't actually know that person. And I know that intellectually, but when you have a favorite and you meet them and they don't live up to your imagination, there's a disconnect there for sure.
Speaker 1: It's it's quite an interesting thing because I think now writers people, I mean, you're an academic and you talk and you're a professor, so I mean there is a great there is a stand up in front of a room full of people aspect of your job. But it feels to me like all writers to an extent have to be performers. Now, you can't just write and throw it out there. Well you can, but it'll be hard to sell it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I think a lot of my peers find it really frustrating, and I admit I do too, in that I became a writer because I don't want to be in front of a camera. I don't want to be on TV. I'm very fortunate to have had the type of career that has afforded me such opportunities, so I don't take it for granted. But every single time I just think, oh my god, this is not this is not what I'm supposed to be doing. But it's really hard to find readers, it really is, and so it's many harder too. Oh it's so hard. It's just hard to sell books, no matter who you are. And so many of us have made peace with the fact that we have to turn to different avenues to reach readers. And that's okay. You know, I like being read, so yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's an odd thing though, because you I mean, I haven't done it. I've done it a bit myself. When you write a book and you go on a book tour and then you have to read out passages from your book, I mean, and I've seen you do it, and you're very good at it, but I whatever, excuse me, whatever, I've had to do it. I've thought this is I want the voice in your head to be your voice, in that you know you're reading it in your head as a reader. I don't want you to hear even doing audiobooks. Do you do audio books of your work now as well? You have to write, I do.
Speaker 2: I didn't do my first two or three books, but I did my memoir Hunger, and I also did the audiobook for Opinions, and I suspect I'll be doing the next couple audiobooks as well.
Speaker 1: You have to. I mean, it's just part of the game now, Like you're saying, I I did you ever have anyone else do an audiobook of your work?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Two really great audio voice actors have done my work. Robin Miles has read my fiction both Difficult Women and and on Tamed State, and she's such a phenomenal voice actor. She could read anything of mine any day of the week, and I would be proud to have her interpreting my work. And then Bad Feminist in the United States was read by Bonnie Turpin, and she is an incredible voice actor as well, And again I would happily work with her on anything at any time.
Speaker 1: I always thought that I've only ever had one person do it once in an anthology of short stories. I wasn't available to do the short story that I'd written, and they had someone else do it, and it made it much better than anything. It's like, oh, that actually sounds like proper right. But I don't think that's an issue that you ever a problem with. Can I ask you? Because bad feminist is where I became aware of you at first the Ted Talk really before anything else. But I saw the Ted Talk of bad Feminists. I'm going to ask you two things about it. First of all, how do you do a Ted talk? Who finds you to do a Ted talk? Do you apply?
Speaker 2: No? Someone from TED reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in doing a Ted talk at TED Women, which no longer exists, but at the time it did. And I was really scared because I don't like public speaking and I know that TED is a really big audience. However, they work with you very closely, and they you know, there's a reason why TED talks look so good and sounds so good, and it's because for six months before the Ted talk, they're working with you on the talk and so on. Unfortunately, I rewrote my talk the night before, so the thing we had been working on was something entirely different from what I performed.
Speaker 1: It's quite interesting, though, because when I watch that now, because I looked at the Ted talk again, I'd seen it, you know, I think it was like twenty fifteen or twenty sixteen or something. Wasn't there a long time ago? What I went back on it looked at you don't seem as confident performing then as you do now. You kind of you. There's been a real kind of movement I think for you in terms of familiarity and confidence on stage. Does that happen in writing too? Yes?
Speaker 2: It does. I still I think most writers have a certain level of insecurity, not insecurity per se, but anxiety about the work and is it good enough? And have I said what I wanted to say how I wanted to say it. But I'm almost fifty years old now and made and so you know, when you've been doing it as long as I have, there are certain things that I'm more confident about absolutely, you know.
Speaker 1: But does that lead you to get more personal? Because you know, your memoirs and stuff like that come a little bit later in your career, right, they does it help you become more personal as you get more confident.
Speaker 2: No, it actually makes me feel like getting a little less personal. But really it does, and only because the Internet has become a lot more hostile than it used to be, and so I've always been careful about what I shared, despite what people may think. I'm a very private person, so I've always known what I'm sharing and why and what I've held back for myself. But it feels like, especially as what is whatever they're calling it now, as Twitter has devolved into whatever it is now and other social media platforms have gone in a similar direction, there's just less I mean, people have opinions, and I respect that you don't have to love everything I do. I get it. You know, I'm flawed like everyone else. But there's a difference between criticism and just cruelty.
Speaker 1: And I agree. And I think there's also the idea of that you have to be hostile to someone who doesn't have the same opinion of you seems like an odd thing, and that's that seems like universal on the kind of social platforms, that if someone doesn't have the same opinion as me, then it's not the opinion that you challenge. It's the person themselves that at home and and thing, yes.
Speaker 2: And you're right, everyone does it. I've done it, and I'm trying to do better because I mean, there are certain opinions like if you're a Nazi, you're a Nazi. I understand that and you but I'm absolutely going to tell you how horrible you are. Right, And I've been talking about this quite a lot lately at events, But we are in a very inelastic age where people are becoming more and more brittle and calcified and have decided that it's their way or no way. And you know what, we believe what we believe, and oftentimes we believe it very deeply, but there's no way to reach other people if we are that calcified. I'm not suggesting that if we all sit together in a circle and hold hands, the world will be a better place. And when it comes to certain issues that people are particularly committed to, there is no compromise, Like you can't compromise on the value of human life, you can't compromise on the ills of terrorism or war. And so it's a question of, well, then, how do we talk about these differences of opinion, How do we talk about these issues on which we profoundly disagree, And the answer is I don't know, And sometimes I wonder do we even bother? I hope we do, But talking is not going to be enough.
Speaker 1: Is there a Is this maybe a product of recent I mean, because I can be as negative about recent times as antibody, and I can say, you know, this is a time when everyone, everything is polarized, and everything is you know, we can't get along. But it also seems to me maybe a contrary position is I can't think of in any any time And maybe I'm wrong about this, but I can't think of a time in human history where people attempted to try and get along. It was like nowhere the king, nowhere the other king, or we think the biscuit turns into Jesus. No, we don't think the biscuit turns into Jesus. And there was no attempt to try and find that. There was very little in the way of attempted to find home and grand And I think maybe the frustration of current times, and maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to know what you think is the idea that we are trying to to try and find a way to live in some kind of compromise.
Speaker 2: I think some people are, but clearly not everyone. I do think a lot of people, but I do think there are a lot of people who genuinely want to compromise, who want to find a way for all of us to coexist. But there are so many who don't. And we're seeing this right now, particularly with regard to the current political climate and the election, where Republicans are at least a version of Republicans that are currently in power, are doing everything they can to try and rid this country of immigrants, and quite frankly, almost all of us are immigrants, including them as the other denial.
Speaker 1: That I mean. It's It's an interesting thing though, because you know, like most things, it becomes extremely you know, I mean, at what point do you join the argument? Do you know what I mean? It's like like, right now, there's this thing about illegal immigrants, and I don't want, I don't want to get into the nuts and bolts of the politics of it, because I feel like the minute that we do, our conversation becomes you know, about that, And what I'm more interested in is the idea of coping with or addressing the disagreement and dealing with the fight that we do have to share the same space, and we do have widely different opinions, and how does the United States of America and the world really how do we share the same space if people have radically different opinions.
Speaker 2: A I was gonna say, the challenge is that xenophobia is not an opinion, and I don't think that we should treat it as legitimate when you are saying that there are groups of people and they tend to be people who are brown or black, when you say that those people are criminal, that they eat pets, that whatever, ludicrous, that's not actually an opinion. There's nothing to counteract that with because if you are so far gone as to believe that, then there's nothing we're going to really talk about.
Speaker 1: And not just in case anybody cuts up this conversation and size chunks, Let's be clear, it's not me that the opinion, because it's like, wow, did he say that? Right? Honest conversation. So let me ask you this in the let's go back to bad feminist just for me, because that was the jumping off point for me because you took a you took out a recognizable I want to say, it's feminism a polemic. Is it fair to say that it's a It's an idea, right? You took an idea of modern feminism and you and you extrapolated it in a way which I hadn't seen done before you you had. Can you explain it a little, because I don't want to explain your work to you. You you explained it to me.
Speaker 2: Yes. So my first essay collection, Bad Feminist, which came out ten years ago, which is hard to believe, was really my way of thinking through my relationship to feminism, particularly given that oftentimes we expect feminists to be perfect, to have entirely consistent ideas and ideologies, and you know, ideally we all should, but we're human, and I wanted to be able to write about feminism while also acknowledging my humanity, my flaws. And so it's part personal essays, lots of cultural criticism where I'm looking at various books, film, television, cultural trends, but from a black feminist perspective and from a bad feminist perspective, if you will, What is.
Speaker 1: The what is the term bad feminist? Why does it? Why does it be bad? Maybe? Can it? Is it? Why is it bad? Is it just different?
Speaker 2: It's well, it was partly tongue in cheek when I came up with the title yeah, because I was thinking about my feminism when I was writing the title essay, and I was like, well, I'm definitely a feminist, but I'm actually kind of bad at it, because, like you know, one of the examples I use in the book is that I love hip hop, and so much of hip hop is degrading to women and misogynistic and it's a problem, and I want to be able to talk about that. But I mean, if a certain fon comes on, I'm going to probably dance, And so I thought maybe I should just call myself a bad feminist. It was also a bit more serious in that traditionally feminism, mainstream feminism, has prioritized the needs of middle class white women and heterosexual women, women who are not disabled, and things like that, and they've always teld more marginalized groups. We'll get to you later. We have to first lift all women up as if we're not women too, And so if that's good feminism, I repudiate that, and I'm absolutely a bad feminist. So it's part tongue in cheek, part critique.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting situation, because I mean it's completely I mean, I completely agree with what you say. I wonder though, if feminism is is gender specific, and then when you obviously I mean it's about you know, it's about the rights of correct me if I'm wrong. And I don't know what I'm saying here, but feminism is about equality of the sexes. Let's say that that fair thing to say.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I think that it's yes, I mean, on the surface, sure, but it's more than equality. It's about equity because equality suggests that if we give everyone the same resources, things will turn out the same.
Speaker 1: But that's not okay.
Speaker 2: And so what we need to figure out is how do we make sure that everyone has equal access to what they need in order to thrive. And for different groups of people it might be different things. And so I tend to focus more on equity than equality. But yeah, it's really about how do we have gender equity. How do we make it such that women are safe, women have bodily autonomy, women are listening to, not attacked, etc. Equal pay for equal work, support in the home, in terms of a more equal distribution of domestic responsibility between the genders. For people who are in heterosexual relationships. And the reality is that feminism is for everyone and when women do better, everyone does better. Children do better, men do better. And so it's always interesting that there's resistance to feminism because it helps men too. There are all kinds of cultural responsibilities that we place on men that don't help them, that don't serve them, that force them to have to try and live up to some ideal of what masculinity is. And if we start to rethink what gender is and what it means and what roles we are assigned to, and we can challenge all of that, I think it just makes everyone happier, safer, and better off.
Speaker 1: I agree If for you say it's true, and I believe it is, where does the where does the resistance come from? Then who would resist that? It seems like it is. It's common sense. If it helps everyone, Why wouldn't everyone want to do it? Why what's the motive do you think behind the idea of not aliving the change?
Speaker 2: Well, that is the question, and you know that is the question. Why why are so many people so resistant to gender equity? And part of it is that it challenges the systemic power that we have all been raised with and a lot of times, when you hold power, you don't want to share it. We see this all the time, whether it's presidents refusing to seed or older people refusing to step aside. You know, what Biden did this year was incredibly rare. It just rarely happened. Like over at Saturday Night Live, Lauren Michael's is like, Yeah, I'm going to ride.
Speaker 1: This books until it's dead.
Speaker 2: It's just like, Wow, you don't think there's anyone else in this country or this world who could run SNL not like you, but as well. And so people get very attached to power, and we're human, So I understand, but are we so attached to power that we harm ourselves?
Speaker 1: But power is it is connected to fear as well, I suppose, isn't it Like if I don't have this power, then I'm vulnerable. I am in danger if I don't have this power or I'm mortal, I'll die or I'll you know, I won't have I won't be able to continue if I don't have what I have right now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And also I think there's an element of fear that excuse me. I know how I've treated people with this power, and I don't want that to happen to me, so you know, it becomes a bit of a that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you you get yourself. I mean like as you say, you're you're coming up on fifty years old or you're fifty years old, you're pro arguably the peak of you know, human productivity, and you know, and you're you're you're firing and on all cylinders right now. At what point do you think I'm gonna I'm gonna stand back? How do you know it's time to step down or step away?
Speaker 2: That's a good question with writing. You know, it's an art, it's something that is pleasurable. And I think most writers tend to write until they have nothing left to say. And I'm not there yet, but I don't know I'm going to write until I don't like it anymore.
Speaker 1: I think plenty of writers keep going well after the nothing true, very true. But I think that it's kind of interesting though, because it requires a degree of self examination. Is this unpleasure? You know, it's unpleasant to look at yourself and go, am I am I done? I always equate it because I think I do stand up comedy for a living, and I think to myself well, you know, I'm sixty two years old. Why am I getting? What am I complaining about? You know, when I was young on gum go oh and see those things. I don't like those things and those other things, and what about those guys? And I don't really, I don't really have it to say about that. I've said all the things I had to say about that. But now I find myself talking to my contemporaries about the fact that it's falling apart. I suppose that I'm older, and so the things that I observe are different. The problem I have with it is sometimes you distance yourself from the people that you were talking to twenty years ago. Maybe they didn't go with you they maybe they didn't travel with you. Because things do change. An intelligent mind will alter over time, and which is good.
Speaker 2: Actually, I would hope that you know, when you asked earlier, have I changed my opinions on anything? Not really, But I hope that I'm doing better work, and more thoughtful work, and more nuanced work now than ten years ago, fifteen years ago. I hope that I'm still growing, that I'm still evolving. I think I am.
Speaker 1: I think it's fairly obvious that there is a development across your career. I talked to Tony Scott Ao Scott from The New York Times Film and Literary critic recently, and he said, when he was younger, he too. I mean, he still feels the same about what he likes and what he doesn't like and how he approaches it. But he said when he was young, he felt like every every film he didn't like, or every piece of work he didn't like, was almost like a personal affront, or like a crime that he had to, you know, fight against. And I wonder if is there anywhere I mean, it was interesting you said there. As you get older, it seems to push you more progressive and you get more Is there anything where you thought? I really was very angry about that, But I see now that maybe there's another approach to it. You still don't like it can still be an an injustice, but there may be a different technique to handle it. No good, it's a fair answer. You must No, you can't ever be a politician, because because you just said, nah, I don't think there is.
Speaker 2: No I really can't ever be a politician. I have no less than zero desire to be a politician. You know. I think I I tend to have some generosity toward myself when I look back at my work, not because I think it's perfect, but it's because I know I did the best I could with the skills and the knowledge that I had at the time. Right, and you do. So I don't lose fire as I get older, but I think I have become more judicious about where I aim my fire. Okay, so that's what I would say. I would say it's less everything deserves my approbation and more let me be a little bit more targeted, let me be a little more careful. So I think I've gotten more careful.
Speaker 1: And more skilled thoughtful. Yeah, yeah, yes. What about the the hate and the abuse that anyone who expresses an opinion will get? And you express your opinions air you dately and loudly, and then an arena where people can you know, in topics where people have a lot of nasty and bad things to say? Do you have any do you ignore it? Do you process it? Do you how do you deal with it?
Speaker 2: Depends? I it's challenging. It is the hardest part of what I do, because I just when you're a writer, you don't really assume that people are going to read your work. You tend to think I'm going to be writing into a void and there's not much I can do about that. And when you are lucky enough to find an audience and then be able to sustain that audience, you don't only have people in your audience who agree with you, of course, nor should you want that. You have people who disagree, and then you have people who disagree so passionately that they want to tell you about it. And then you have the trolls, and there are quite a lot of trolls, and so I struggle with it. And that's why I left Twitter. I was just I was I couldn't do it anymore. I loved Twitter when it was good. It was such a great place.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of fun, was much fun. I know, I remember it, and it was.
Speaker 2: The seventeen years and now it's a complete cesspool.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's just all of it. When that way, I loved it. I got into it, like I don't know, it's about twenty ten or something like that. Idiotzard got me into it and said, you know, it's just a great way to contact people and sell tickets, and it's revolutionarized it's going to change the world, and I was like great, and it was and then very quickly, well not very quickly, just over over time it became because these people, the people that were mean, used to being a normally, and now it seems like it's it's almost that's what you do on these things.
Speaker 2: It's yes, because especially the way the algorithms have been honed, they prioritize interaction, and the things that received the most interaction tend to be negative encounters, disagreements, talons, etc. It's really unfortunate that tech has decided that this is the way forward and that so many of us have succumbed to that. But it's so hard not to. And I've written about this because I do think about it quite a lot, and I think part of it is that most of us have relatively little power in our day to day lives, and then you can go online and you can point out an injustice great or small, and people will listen to you and they will join you in the crusade, oftentimes mindlessly, but they'll join you nonetheless. And I think that's intoxicating for a lot of people, and even that I can understand. But then it goes a bit further, and there are the people who make threats, and some of those threats are idle, but many of them are not, and you don't know which one is which, so you have to take them all serious. Yeah, and that becomes really that's the hardest part, is not knowing like is this death threat real or is this just someone having a little weird fun. So that's frustrating, and it's unfortunate because I think we should be able to disagree. You can even like dislike me, you can make fun of me, But why does it get to threats? Why do you think that's sort of the next level?
Speaker 1: I think I think perhaps it's. Look, I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody, but I think observing it, the behavior of it, to me, it seems it's kind of like an announcement that I don't have the skill to do anything else. You know. It's like I don't have the skill to disagree with you. I don't have the wherewithal, or the intelligence or the education to combat you on a point. I just instinctively want to lash out, and I have the only thing I have is insult, you know what I mean. It's like I feel like it's a little bit like Heckler's at a stand up show. Most people are just there, you know, and for the show and then but that little bit. As a friend of mine, a country singer called Trace Atkins, I was saying, hey, what do you I was asking them about social media? I said, most people are fine, and he said yeah, but the way I look at it, it only takes one third in the pool to make me enough want to get in there. And You're like, yeah, I understand. So what do you do? How do you combat it? Do you do? You do you shut it down? Do you have security? Do you what do you do?
Speaker 2: It depends. I have security at most of my events, which is again something I never imagined, but many of the threats are directed to the venues where I'm doing events. And I speak at a lot of colleges, and I teach at a college, and that gives me a lot of pause because not only am I there, but other people's children are there, and you know, everybody is someone's child. Everyone is just you know, a human in their own right, and nobody should be in danger because they're going to listen to a writer they want to hear, and the writer themselves should not be in danger because you disagree with their opinions. But there have been bomb threats, there have been threats of mass violence, and given this country's penchant for mass violence, with ar fifteens and the like, you have to take every single threat furiously. So, you know, several years ago I started noticing these security guards or bodyguards or whatever at my events, and then they started like standing closer and closer to me throughout the events, and I was like, Wow, this is getting real in a way I never anticipated.
Speaker 1: And the experience, I mean, is it right? It's terrib effect. Does it affect how you I think I know the answer to this, But does it affect what you write?
Speaker 2: No? That's what I I You know, the minute I change what I write or what I say, the minute I don't go out on stage, I capitulate. And I mean we always capitulate one way or another, two different things, but not on this. I mean, every time I walk out on stage, I just wonder, it's today of the day. And that's a horrible feeling. Nobody should have to feel that way, nobody, And so I don't relish it. Especially I'm married, happily married, so I always worry about my wife, who also receives threats now and my parents. People have hunted down my parents who are like my mom has cancer, my dad is seventy nine, seventy eight. Like what are you people thinking? These people are the best people in the world. They have never harmed anyone. Why would you take it that far just because I wrote something? And the reality is, and my critics will be the first to tell you this, I'm not that radical. I'm a centrist in many ways, and I'm not proud of it. I've been pushing myself further left for many years, but I am not the most radical writer or thinker out there. So what exactly are you responding to here that has you so incensed that you have decided to take up spreads? It's baffling.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you're a gay black woman, so right there. But it's like, okay, there's going to there's a certain subject that I already met at you before you even say anything. You know, Yeah, It's it's so frustrating because I think the radicalization of people is it Maybe this is naive, but don't you feel sometimes that if you could reach people on a this sounds awful even say that. But there's some people you feel like if I could sit you down and reach you on your own and have a conversation with you, I feel like I could get to you. And I'm wondering sometimes if writing isn't an attempt to do that. If you can read, you can change your mind.
Speaker 2: I would love to believe that were the case, And of course that certainly motivates a lot of what I do, the belief that you can reach other people. And I do believe there are people who are reachable. I also believe there are people who are unreachable, and I do think I know the difference, but clearly, and history has borne this out time and time again, sometimes we need something more than reaching people, And like, what do we do with the people that can't be reached? And there's no solution that I can even begin to think of, because I even free speech first and foremost, but I also believe that, of course there should be consequences if you say terrible things, if you make threats, if you say violently racist or xenophobic, or homophobic or transphobic things. You don't have to be in prison. That's not realistic. But maybe you don't get to enjoy public life as much anymore. Maybe people will push back and tell you what they think about your trash opinions, and maybe you will lose opportunities because people don't want to be associated with that kind of bigotry. So I would love to believe that we could find ways of addressing these issues while preserving the sanctity of free speech. And I think thus far we kind of have. But there seems to be very little deterrent right now for people to say any old thing and get away with it. And that's, you know, I guess that's life.
Speaker 1: It's funny that I was reading a book recently about a Gorvidale book called Empire was one of the novels of Empire series, and in it there's there's discussion or a part where it recounts when William Randolph Hurst the early part of the twentieth century, had presidential ambitions, but he published a quatrain by Ambrose Pearce that foreshadowed the assassination of President McKinley. It was and because of what happened there, basically William Randolph Hurst's political career, the reaction to that basically incited violence or it was perceived to be incited violence against the certain president. He was canceled for one of a better word of the early part. That's when I said he still was an immensely powerful romance wealthy man who owned a lot of newspapers and did whatever he did, but he didn't get to go further in what he wanted to do at that time, which was to be president of the United States. And I wonder if if there is a specific call to violence for an individual, that's not free speech. Absolutely, that's not that's not free. Free speech is opinion. Free speech is you know, the Voltaire thing. I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death you're right to say it. I think that was Voltai certainly some clever French blow and I think that. But the idea that I should be able to say what I want about you, it's not actually free speech. I think free speech contains it's about the polemic, it's about opinion. It's about what you do. You know, because I read you and I don't agree with everything you say, and I certainly don't want to talk to you about the stuff that I don't agree. But what I do, but what I do think is that you put it forward that way, which is this is what I think. You know, this is what I believe, and that I think is free speech. I think to threaten someone with violence is a very different thing. I don't think, oh yeah speech, I.
Speaker 2: Don't either, but I do know that free speech absolutists will definitely suggest that that's part of free speech. And yeah, I know, I recognize that. You know, we have become very fast and loose with the Constitution, but only in ways that are self serving, like when you especid and I recently wrote an essay about gun ownership and the Second Amendment and the ways in which it has kind of run amok. And when you look at the Second Amendment, which is like fourteen words long, cuty people who defend their right to own assault weapons. People are very people interpret things the way they want to.
Speaker 1: And so I mean that that's the problem, and I think the eternal conundrum is that is trying to live with people that you'd rather not love with, whether it's whether it's your family or you know, or a whole swath of the country. You know, it's difficult. You when you were when you were growing up you're you're from an immigrant family, your family of patient? Is that right? Yes? Now I am. I'm a I'm an actual immigrant. I immigrated here. But you know, my children, of course, are first generation, and and my value, the values that I brought into the with me are not quite the same. I actually had one of my oldest kids said to me once that I don't need to know this. It's not Glasgow in the nineteen seventies. I don't need to behave like this. You know, this is of no use to me. I can't remember what it was with something about carrying a stick in your trousers or something. And I think that did you experience conflict with the generation that came before because you're the child of immigrants, because you are, your values very different to your parents than the generation before you.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was definitely conflict, particularly because Haitian culture is very I love my culture, it's very it's just unique. But Haitian parents, especially my parents their generation, are incredibly strict, and so there were all kinds of things that my brothers and I wanted to do growing up that we were not allowed to do, and that was incredibly frustrating. And so there was oftentimes conflict about that, and it could be things like as simple as I want to spend the night at a friend's house, which absolutely no non starter with a Haitian parent, at least for a long time.
Speaker 1: And I'm totally with your parents on this, by the way, I have to say, I.
Speaker 2: Mean when looking back now, I'm like, yeah, they were kind of onto something there. But you know what's interesting is that now I recognize I'm not even recognized. Now I understand what they were talking about. Now I understand what they were worried about. And I have a lot more.
Speaker 1: Patience.
Speaker 2: I guess that might be the word, but oh yeah, there was definitely there's always going to be conflict. And sometimes we just be like, you just don't understand, and they were like, no, you don't understand, but.
Speaker 1: You teach and you speak. Academic institutions, which of course, by the very nature, are pre emily filled with young people. Do you find yourself in conflict in a generational term with with with opinions that you are surprised that you would be in conflict with them about you kind of speaking from about Salfie as well, like why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the time, it's so hard I'm teaching. I teach, and I've been teaching for fifteen twenty years now, and I love it, but I feel like I'm getting to the point where I don't necessarily want to do it anymore. These the kids are great, and they're allowed to be young. It's just this particular generation it's challenging. They and every generation has this. So I know that the generation like baby Boomers, feel this way about my generation, gen X. Gen X feels this way about Gen Z and Gen Y or whatever the fuck, but they just partly, especially for the kids I'm teaching now, they have known only COVID for college, so they didn't even get a traditional beginning of the colleg experience, and so they're dealing with the cultural trauma of a pandemic and the political fractures since twenty sixteen, and there's a lot of challenges. And they're also able to articulate mental health issues in a way that feels very anathemat of someone my age. Like sometimes it's just like, oh my god, they all speak in therapy speak. It's not a bad thing. I think it's great for people to talk about mental health and to talk about their feelings and to advocate for themselves. But for someone who's a little older, it's just okay, I have to learn all about this now. But then also there's just the little stuff like I had a student named Faith a couple semesters ago and I was like, oh, Faith, it's taking all my self control not the same faith to you, And she looked me dead in the eye, blank, and she was like, what's that?
Speaker 3: And I was just like, come on, well, I mean you must not people do it say it take all my effort to not saying rocks and to you as well, I mean, you get it.
Speaker 1: No one sings Craig though no one's gonna Craig so and we're the lesser for it, but it should be rock sanded. It's been an absolute pleasant talking to you. I am a huge fan of your work and I I and I like I say, I don't agree with you and everything, and I love that that you and I can sit and have a conversation for forty five minutes and it really doesn't have to come up. What we can talk about is is interesting, well to me, very interesting. I hope it's still being too much, but sure, more power to you. Keep on it. Don't give up and don't let the bachelards grind you down. I won't thank you so much. Craig, Oh, no thout, no bathing,