Speaker 1: Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. After his demented, prejudiced heroxism at the National Association of Black Journalists event in Chicago yesterday, as he signaled the start of his full on, hateful, disgusting, apartheid and slavery level appalling campaign of birtherism and racism, Donald Trump must withdraw from the presidential election and be committed for psychiatric institutionalization, or be compelled to. There is no longer any room in the political discourse of the United States of America for anyone both so deeply disturbed and so deeply possessed by a hate of people of color that it reaches the levels of insanity and prejudice Trump not only displayed yesterday in Chicago, but gloried in Moreover, there is no room in American society for anyone with such an immeasurably dysfunctional and dangerous mental illness as that which Trump showed again and again and again at the NABJ event. If he will not seek hospitalization for his countless psychoses and delusions and persecution complexes, he must be forced to. This country is not safe if Donald Trump is free to walk on its streets. This country is not safe if those who have mistaken him for sane or rational, or patriotic or merely American are not shown in no uncertain terms that what he raise yesterday on that stage is a disease, and it is unacceptable to this nation. Psychiatric experts may be able to help Trump, they may not. Frankly, I no longer care. Literally, almost every day since I wrote could Trump Pass a Sanity Test? For Vanity Fair Magazine in twenty sixteen, I have been repeating that apart from his neanderthal policies, apart from his inability to grasp that he is not intelligent, apart from his simpleton's perception of the world, there is a baseline danger that we cannot assess that clearly from which advisors or party leaders or generals cannot save him or save us. And that is this. He is manifestly broken. His brain does not work correctly, and thus what we see now may ultimately be only the tip of an unstable iceberg. The risk the world is at is not just the Trump we see failing every test of that which makes one human every day of his life. It is the risk that from here he will get worse. Yesterday here I criticize the National Association of Black Journalists for platforming Trump, and I would like to retract that criticism, apologize for it, and bless that organization for arranging. However, it was arranged to put the Trump you and I already know on display for at least some people who had not seen it or would not believe it was true. It was Trump's first genuinely unfriendly, not passive interview in years, revealed both his madness and the madness of his beliefs, and his racial animus, and his willingness to invent any excuse to suppress anybody who is not a white man of European heritage. He went full birther again, and now his campaign is full birther again. He went full racist again, and now his campaign is full racist again. He not only questioned the ethnic history and heritage of the Vice President of the United States, but he accused her of either changing that history or changing her statements about her own heritage. Trump's insanity permits him to be vague even in his apartheid level racist accusations. One hundred and sixty three years ago, this nation took up arms to silence and disempower hateful, deranged creatures like Donald Trump. We now think seven hundred and fifty thousand Americans died to stop what Donald Trump believes in today, with as many more wounded and or captured. That we continue to tolerate Donald Trump, that we continue to normalize Donald Trump, that we continue to let Donald Trump lead a national political party and serve as its presidential nominee. Is among the top two or three failures in the history of the United States of America that an American news organization could summarize in its daily news round up, the disaster that was Donald Trump in Chicago yesterday, the existential threat to all of our lives that is Donald Trump every day, to summarize it in two hundred and thirty four words, headlined Trump questions Harris's race, as if that were a legitimate question in a society that is not itself deeply disturbed, and then move on from that to its off lead story, Taco Bell to test AI drive throughs that suggests that we are all stunningly comfortable lying here with our next on the railroad tracks that we have reached if we had not reached it before the point Patty Chayevsky described in the mad as Hell speech Peter Finch recites in the movie Network, we sit watching our TVs while some newscast here plays clips of this asshole Trump accusing the Vice President of the United States of changing her color at the exact moment his minions begin full on bertherism, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rupar.
Speaker 1: Of the website Public Notice, whose newsletter you should sign up for, produced a super cut of the disqualifying Trump attacks on Harris on black people on his hosts on America, which I have edited down here only slightly for time, and I would add that as Aaron posted this to social media, the Trump stooge Jesse Waters was going on Fox and claiming Vice President Harris's quote not African American technically, and the Trump fabricator and liar Laura Lumer was disseminating a falsified harris birth certificate, and the gutter trash congresswoman from Colorado Lauren Bobert wrote quote she switched, and the Trump parking lot attorney Alina Habas said quote, unlike you, Kamala, I know who my roots are and where I come from and Trump's pet Fox host Harris Faulkner, who was on stage as this unfolded in Chicago yesterday, dismissed the events there as things got chippy. As you listen to this, remember that this from Trump is not hyperbole, not politics, not even the standard Trump hatred and insanity that the cowardice of the media has allowed him to get away with for nine disastrous years. This is the start of his presidential campaign in which the psychopathic fascist Republican who hates black people and has always hated black people and will suppress black people, will insist that he is the real victim here because he will also insist the vice president of the United States is lying about being a black person. Or, as Mother Jones put it in its headline far more succinctly, white man tells black journalists that his black opponent is not Black people.
Speaker 3: Did not think it was appropriate for you to be here today. You have pushed false claims about some of your from Nicki Hayley to former President Barack Obama, saying that they were not born in the United States, which is not true. You have told four congressmen women of color who are American citizens, to go back to where they came from. You have used words like animal and rabbit to describe black district attorneys. You've attacked black journalists, calling them a loser, saying the questions that they ask are quote stupid and racist. You've had dinner with a white supremacist at your maraologue resort. So my question, sir, now that you are asking black supporters to vote for you, why should black voters trust you after you have used language like that.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I don't think I've ever been asked a question so in such a horrible manner. A first question, you don't even say, hello, how are you? Are you with ABC? Because I think they're a fake news network a terrible level. And I think it's disgraceful that I can aim here in good spirit. I love the black population of this country. I've done so much for the black population of this country. I think it's a very rude introduction. I don't know exactly why you would do something like that. And let me go a step further. I was invited here, and I was told my opponent, whether it was Biden or Kamala, I was told my opponent was going to be here. It turned out my opponent isn't here. You invited me under false pretense, and then you said you can't do it with zoom. Well you know where's zoom. She's going to do it with zoom and she's not coming. And then you were half an hour a Just so we understand, I have too much respect for you to be late. They couldn't get their equipment work in or something I would. I think it's a very nasty question. I have answered the question. I have been the best president for the black population since Abraham Lincoln. That is my answer, only President Johnston's. I'm voting right now. Ask you to start off a question and answer period, especially when you're thirty five minutes late because you couldn't get your equipment to work in such a hostile manner. I think it's a disgrace. I really do it.
Speaker 3: Let me just ask upond to other questions here. Some of your own supporters, including Republicans on Capitol Hill, have labeled Vice President Kamala Harris, who was the first black and Asian American woman to serve as vice president and be on a major party ticket, as a DEI hire.
Speaker 2: Is that acceptable language to you?
Speaker 3: And will you tell those Republicans and those supporters to stop it.
Speaker 2: How do you how do you define DEI? Go ahead? How do you define diversity?
Speaker 3: Equity inclusion?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, go ahead? Is that what your definition? That is?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 5: That is?
Speaker 2: Give me a definition? Then would you give me a definition? Yeah? Yeah, give me a definition.
Speaker 3: Soar' I'm asking you, am are you had to direct.
Speaker 2: Find it, define the define it for me if I just defined it? Sir?
Speaker 3: Do you believe that Vice President Kamala Harris is only on the ticket because she is a black woman?
Speaker 2: Well, I can say no. I think it's maybe a little bit different. So I've known a long time, indirectly, not directly very much, and she was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage. I didn't know she was black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn black. And now she wants to be known as black. So I don't know is she Indian or is she black? She is always I respect other black college. I respect either one, but she obviously doesn't because she was Indian all the way, and then all of a sudden she made a turn and she went she became a black part just to be clear, I think somebody should look into that too. When you ask a continue in a very hostile, nasty town, why come here?
Speaker 1: What is your message today?
Speaker 2: My message is to stop people from invading our country that are taking frankly, a lot of problems with it. But one of the big problems and a lot of the journalists in this room I know, and I have great respect for a lot of the journalists in this room are black. I will tell you that coming from the border are millions and millions of people that happen to be taking black jobs. You had the.
Speaker 3: Best what exactly the black job, sir?
Speaker 2: A black job is anybody that has a job. How do you turn it around? What's your plan for the black community when it comes to Monchy? So, first of all, it's very hard to hear for whatever reason, because of the fact that they have bad equipment, because I guess you know, this woman was unable to get the right equipment. But it's very hard for me to hear you, but I can hear every other word. It's very difficult, actually, But so I don't know if they can fix it or do something with it, but I'll do the best I can with it. If I came onto a stage like this and I got treated so rudely, is this woman true? My goodness? And I'm fine with it because she it does it. She was very rude, sir, very rude. That was a nasty That wasn't a question. She hadn't asked me a question. She gave a statement that wasn't a question. Actually, you and you wait, you would absolutely if I thought that I was failing in some way, I want people to be shopping. I'll go a step further. I want anybody running for president to take an aptitude test, to take a cognitive test. I think it's a great idea. And I took two of them, and I aced them. I took two of them. But let me ask you, I would like to have what's going to happen to those people? What's going to happen to the people in Portland that destroyed?
Speaker 3: My question is on those going to happen my people ride those assault officers.
Speaker 2: You have to you what's going to happen?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I would. You would run. If they're innocent, I would pardon them. Be' been convicted by the way the Supreme Court just under well, they were convicted by a very, very tough system they were. How come the people that tried to burn down Minneapolis, how come the Purple that took over a large percentage of Seattle? How come nothing happened to them? How come to.
Speaker 3: People talking about people that were seen, we're talking about Laurel Fields dragging them down the stairs they're on Have you seen that videos?
Speaker 2: Early?
Speaker 3: Well they parted those you a pardon those rioters.
Speaker 2: They shot a young lady in the face who was protesting. They shot her. The You know, nobody died that day, you do know that. But people died in Seattle. Nobody died, But people died in the opposite You know, people died. They're taking your jobs. These people coming in are taking your job.
Speaker 3: I think we have to leave it there, Bible Team, all right, so leave it well.
Speaker 1: That is the last word, And that, of course, was prelude from Chicago. Trump went to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and spoke last night after the NABJ event.
Speaker 4: The contrast could not be more stark. On the one hand, you have a radical left puppet candidate who is fake, fake, fake, and on the other hand, you have a president who.
Speaker 1: Fight fight fight is their betting? Yet is there betting on when Trump calls her the N word or something awfully close to it. I mean, his henchman Sebastian Gorka already called her the C word. She's a DEI higher right, She's a woman, She's colored.
Speaker 2: Therefore she's got to be good.
Speaker 1: As a PostScript, as a reminder, as an incentive to fight this creature Trump and his movement of hatred and deceit and gaslighting and pure unadulterated biblical evil, As a reminder that he will say anything at any time and contradict reality or a past version of his own self to any degree he finds necessary. Two points. A spokesperson, an advisor named Lynn Patten now says that in Chicago, Trump quote continually said that, unlike Kamala Harrison, Joe Biden, he's running to be present for all Americans, and if you're running to unite the entire country, you have to back it up with action like he did today unquote, Yes, unite all Americans. Unite them just like they were united when we all had slavery, or just as Trump has always thought. The united in United States means united under a Trump dictatorship, and maybe more startlingly. There is also this Four years ago, next week, August eleventh, twenty twenty, actor Joe Biden had selected Kamala Harris as his vice presidential running mate, and Trump and his team of scumbag rivals unrolled the standard attacks on women of color who have not shown sufficient deference to the white men like Brett Kavanaugh, unrolled all the insanity tropes about black women, called Harris quote a mad woman, quote, a nasty woman quote, seriously ill. After that, Trump's spokesperson Katrina Pearson defended him against charges that he was being racist and anti black about Kamala Harris, confirming that when Harris ran for attorney general in California, Trump and his daughter Ivanka donated to her campaign eight thousand dollars in total from the Trumps to the Harris for Attorney General campaign. I'll note, miss Pearson, said, Miss Pearson being African American and now a Trumpist candidate for the Texas State House. Miss Pearson told a media conference call, I'll note that Kamala Harris is a black woman and he donated to her campaign, So I hope we can squash this racism argument. Now. We are fighting evil, evil for whom reality and justice and even their own past versions of themselves do not exist if they are inconvenient. At the present moment, we are fighting evil that is centered around a manifestly insane, dangerous, delusional, committable madman. We must, by the law, by the ballot box by both destroy him and everything he stands for, or we, the United States of America, we will surely be destroyed instead. As Trump unleashes Birtherism, I we must metaphorically bury him and his movement under its rubble.
Speaker 5: Well, Donald, I do hope you'll reconsider to meet me on the debate stage, because, as the saying goes, if you've got something to say.
Speaker 2: This is countdown.
Speaker 1: With Keith Oberman still ahead of us on this edition of Countdown. I need a break from this crap. Friend of mine asked me yesterday, for the thousandth time this year, how I deal with this every day? And I said, well, whenever I can, I try to go to my past and live there for a few minutes and visit the simpler times when all I worried about was things like whether or not my brand new seersucker suit would get dirty while I took the subway up to my internship at Channel five News here in New York, and somebody else yesterday mentioned the name of the sportscaster I happened to work for at that very internship, and so come with me now for a few minutes to the far less thrilling days of yesteryear. In things I promised not to tell Keith the intern First, there are still more new idiots to talk about. The daily roundup of the miss Grants, morons and Dunning Kruger effects, bestmans who constitute two days worst persons in the world, Lebrons, the Trump factotum, Dan Scabino, the media guy. This is from New York Magazine and it's a story about funding Trump media. I'm just going to read part of this. The most promising person they reached was Patrick Orlando, former Deutsche Bank derivatives trader who had started an investment firm called Benisseri Capital. For Trump's birthday in June, New York Magazine writes, Orlando wrote a letter appealing to his ego. I was unaware of the extent of your brilliance, he wrote, According to the post on your birthday, my only wish is that you realize how proud we are of your success is to date. Mister Moss and mister Litinsky, other funders of this outfit, persuaded Orlando not to send this in part because the sycophancy was over the top, even by Trump standards. I just want to protest for a second, and suggests that there is no such point that sycophancy cannot be over the top when it comes to Trump. However, the real issue is included in the next phrase. The sycofancy was over the top even by Trump's standards, and in part because they knew Trump hated the idea of getting older. He did not wish to be reminded of his birthday. Also, New York Magazine writes, and here's the Scavino part. Marri Lago has a microeconomy in which such intel is sold to supplicants by people with proximity to Trump. The truth Social executives paid fifteen thousand dollars to Will Russell, a Trump bodyman whose name came up in the Florida Documents investigation, and twenty thousand dollars to Dan Scavino, Trump's social media director, who were in a position to find out things like his mood when he'd be coming off the golf course and when was the best time to call Dan Scavino corrupt? Maitre d the runners up two of our favorite people online, the utter frauds, Vivek Ramaswami and Elon Musk. And Elon Musk is gone yet another day without overdosing. Congratulations Elon. America's declining birth rate, Vivek Ramaswami wrote, is a far greater risk to our future than say climate change. Well, of course that's not true. But why would Vivek know that he has an IQ of seven He believes he has an IQ of seven hundred, Yet most politicians are too scared to talk about it, and now it's apparently taboo. It's neither too scary nor taboo. It's just stupid. But here are the facts. Our nation's birth rate is now down to one point six to two berths per woman, the lowest in history, and well below replacement rate. I could make a joke here about baseball and replacement level offspring, but I won't. It's not even that people don't want kids. In fact, American women on average have fewer children than they say they'd hoped for. The graining of America means an overloaded healthcare system and eventually higher taxes for all. Today they're only about three workers for every retireel blah blah blah blah blah blah, on and on and on. The birth rate crisis is a symptom of a deeper economic malaise. The right answer is simple. Slash the oppressive regulatory stage. Drill frack, end dumb occupational licensing laws and restrictions on new housing to unleash the supply of everything. What part of that is about having kids? Fracking? Somebody has to explain to Vivet Gramaswami the difference between fracking and the other effing word. Musk's reply to this is priceless.
Speaker 6: A declining birth rate happens towards the end of every civilization and is a function of extended prosperity caesochiede and to succeeded, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: You mean Sid Caesar. It's just too bad that this problem that both of them perceive that there are not enough new working age and youthful Americans kids, that there aren't more of them here. It's too bad this could not be addressed in some other way than say, eliminating abortion, forcing women to have children, trying to marginalize those who do not have children, and actually run an idiot for vice president who's made a career out of mocking people who don't have kids when his own sexuality is in question. It's just too bad. There isn't some sort of alternate to that, an alternate to a declining birth rate. I don't know. Are there other people in overcrowded parts of the country in the world who would want to come here to the United States? Has anybody ever come here? Wasn't born here? I don't know. I mean, I don't know of anybody like that. I mean, I just don't Could we have horror working people, you know, just to pick a phrase out of the air, yearning to breathe free, come here and fill those roles that Ramaswami is so worried about. And Elon Musk says it's the end of civilization because there aren't enough young people here. Could we bring them in from other countries to help us out? Other people too? What's the word immigrate here or if you like, the other version of the verb immigrate here? You know, like the parents of Elon Musk and vivek Ramaswami and Trump's grandparents. It will never surprise me, never stop surprising me. I should say that these people, the children of immigrants, have already forgotten that they are the children of immigrants. The first Olderman arrived here in the year eighteen forty seven, and I think of myself as the child of an immigrant, and I have great pride in it. There aren't enough people here, now, why are you stopping them from coming here? But our winner one of the people we should have stopped from coming here. Ryan Walters, Superintendent of Schools of the State of Oklahoma, religious nut bastard. Ryan Walters announces he is using libs of TikTok, the hateful prejudiced website account, to hunt down Oklahoma school employees who made jokes about the fact that Trump's ear got nicked, so that they can be fired from the Oklahoma State and City school systems. Quote. We cannot allow these individuals to continue to teach in the state of Oklahoma. I want to thank Chaia Rachik. That's the libs of TikTok, which who brought this first to my attention of what she found online to show this hateful, nasty rhetoric. He then said he would fire them all using her data. And of course Raychik has been connected via libs of TikTok to more than twenty bomb threats across the country because whoever she targets, somebody threatens to kill. There is a simple solution to this and this idiot Ryan Walters and this behavior in Oklahoma. Boycott all products from Oklahoma. They export six billion, one hundred million dollars every year in stuff, mostly aircraft parts. I know neither you nor I are buying any aircraft parts in the immediate future. Major companies are stop buying them from Oklahoma. Oh and the other thing. And this is legitimately the number one agricultural export in the state of Oklahoma, pork. One in fifty jobs in Oklahoma is supported by the pork industry. I would discuss briefly with you the merits of not eating pork, of how much healthier you will be and how much greater your conscience will thrive if you don't do it, particularly if any of the religions like this religious not Ryan Walters, are correct. And how you treat the weakest and most troubled of the beings of this planet determines whether or not you get some sort of reward afterward. If that's true, guess who is not getting a reward afterwards. That's right State Superintendent of Schools, Ryan Walters of Oklahoma, who we already know. We're not sure exactly how smart pigs are compared to human beings, maybe three year olds, four year olds, but we do know that every single pig on this planet is smarter than Ryan Walters, two days worse person and the world why, God don't know how. And now to the number one story on the countdown. And I was literally asked about him the other day by somebody who did not know I knew him, and basically I had one of those instantaneous moments that proved that Marcel Proust was right. If you try to remember something or someone from your youth, good luck, you might get a vague image. It might be right, it might be wrong. But if you are unexpectedly reminded of the moment or the person, you can, for at least a brief instant be transported back to them and to that time, as certainly as if you had a time machine. The man's name was spoken, and suddenly I was nineteen years old, again in a brand new seersucker suit, stepping in from the always broiling midday sun of midtown Manhattan before the subways had air conditioners, and into the seductive cool of a television newsroom, seven long hours before the broadcast was to begin, when all the elements are in place except the panic and the rushing and the shouting, when you can still quietly discuss which story should be the lead on the newscast, rather than threatening to kill somebody who tried to stop you from going with the fire, instead of a boating accident, when the film hasn't even been shot, let alone developed yet. And yes, in nineteen seventy eight, it was still film. They were just making the conversion from film to videotape, and they were using both, and half the stories could be instantly assembled videotape, but the other half were maddeningly delayed until the kid ran the film to the lab in the basement and waited for it to be developed. And yeah, I was often that kid, And I think I might be the youngest person in this country who can say he ran the new the news film to the lab to be developed. Anyway, the man whose name was mentioned to me, was the first to succeed on radio in a big city in this country by simply talking sports with listeners who phoned in. This was in Buffalo, New York in the nineteen forties and nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties, though he was not from there, born in Kiev, emigrated to Brooklyn as an infant pre med at Michigan, a quick radio stint in Grand Rapids and the apt decision to not go by his given name of Morris Maser, then to the war, then to Buffalo and the role of the sportscaster in town on TV, on radio, on the newscasts of the original Buffalo Bills of the Minor League Baseball Buffalo Bisons and the Minor League Hockey Buffalo Bisons. Bill not Morris Bill Maser. Bill Maser came home to New York City in the early sixties, and whether you like it or hate it, sports talk started with him, and it did not get much better than him. And what he did was not what you see now, where people like Steven A. Smith and Chris Russo are paid to kill as much time as possible, where people like Skip Bayliss are paid to turn anything into a controversy, and anything good into something bad. Bill Maser talked to people knowledgeably, pleasantly, rarely raising his voice. He talked to athletes, other reporters, fans, and he had a singular advantage. Before Internet, before the sports history industry, hell, before the first edition of the Baseball Encyclopedia came out, Bill Maser knew everything. This was largely because he had a virtually photographic memory. Bill could of an instant tell you who won the one hundred meter dash at the nineteen thirty two Olympics in Los Angeles, because he knew how all six finishers did that. It was Eddie Tolan, then Ralph Metcalf, then Jonath of Germany, then George Simps, and then Danny Joubert, and then the Japanese Yoshioka. And then he mentioned that Eddie Tolan's cousin was the outfielder Bobby Tolan of the Cincinnati Reds. And before you knew it, he was asking you who had the greatest outfield arm ever? And I mentioned this because I can remember parts of the conversation I had with him that followed that question about the nineteen thirty two Olympic one hundred meters Bill Maser saw the list of finishers once and remembered it for the rest of his life. Bill also did television network stuff. He worked NFL football for CBS, sidelines in the studio, and the scoreboard shows. He did hockey, He did color he did play by play, did local games of the New York Rangers. He did the network broadcast on CBS. He did the Knicks, the Rangers, the Nets, the Islanders, the local sports on Channel five here. And he had interns and in the summer of nineteen seventy eight at Channel five in my seersucker suit, I was one of them. Did he take me on his wing? Nah, that wasn't his style. Did he let me essentially produce his show, choose the highlights for him, Watch as he showed me tricks on how to narrate those highlights. Ask me why he was including some stories and not others. Explain that it was okay to make a mistake as long as you corrected yourself as soon as you found out. Nod with amusement but approval. When the actual producer said that one night that Bill was going to take off, they should let me fill in for him. Yes to all that he treated his interns like equals. And then there was that memory thing. He used to ask him a trivia question on the air every night, a question sent in by a viewer Stump the Amazing Maser in the commercial before the sports on the ten o'clock news on Channel five, And usually he'd start to actually answer it reflexively, and the news anchor John Rowland would say, what are you doing. We want them to stay through the commercial to find out if you know the answer, and they'd both laugh, and it was obvious that Bill had started to answer so that nobody would ever think he was dashing off during the commercial to find the answer in a book somewhere. The newscaster Roland even mocked the whole thing one night. This is from Eddie Spaghetti of Sheepshead Bay Amazing. On Sunday, April twenty second, nineteen seventy nine, the Rangers defeated the Philadelphia Flyers six nothing at the Garden behind John Davidson shutout to take a commanding three games to one lead in the Stanley Cup Semifinals. By this point Bill looked somewhere between amused and be mused. The question included the key details, what on earth could the question be John Rowland resumed seventeen thousand, three hundred and eighty fans were at Madison Square Garden that night. Give their names and addresses. Bill Mazer did not even laugh. Aaron Albert A. One hundred and twenty five Bedford Avenue, Apartment four L, Brooklyn, New York. Aaron Albert's see seventeen Golf Course Way, Nutley, New Jersey. Aaron Albert V. The director faded to black. I saw him last around two thousand and eight in the old Yankee Stadium. He was alone in the clubhouse and shaking his head slowly. I went up and said, hello, my god, Keith. He said, very quietly, other than Jeter, I don't know anybody here anymore. I told him the hell he didn't, he knew me. We talked for half an hour. I was his intern one summer, and the next July I was covering the same games and press conferences he was, And not once did he claim he discovered me. He introduced me to everybody I did not know. I had the good fortune to have this young man as my intern last year. I'm very proud of him. It was always like that, that conversation about the nineteen thirty two Olympic one hundred meters. That was at his desk in the seductively cool newsroom at Channel five one evening when I was his intern, And it ended with me saying Dwight Evans of the Boston Red Sox had as good an outfield arm as I had ever seen, for whatever that was worth. And Bill said that was a good choice, but he didn't quite measure up to Meryl Hogue. Meryl Hogue in the thirties with the Yankees, I added, and the Browns, No, corrected Bill, just the Yankees. He played only for the Yankees. I was in a pickle. Bill Mazer was wrong, I stated my evidence, Bill, I have a nineteen forty baseball card of Merril Hogue with the Saint Louis Browns. Bill Maser's side must be a misprint, he said quietly. He then rose dramatically from his chair, cleared his throat, and as he reached to unlock the drawer that contained his copy of the finally published Baseball Encyclopedia. He was always an early adopter of new tech, he said to one of the producers. It's always like this with these kids. He thumbed through the book Hogue. Here it is nineteen thirty six, Yankees, nineteen thirty seven, Yankees, nineteen thirty eight, Yankees nineteen thirty nine Browns. Bill went silent. He replaced his copy of the Baseball Encyclopedia and sat down, slowly and silently. He did not look at me, but rather at the news producer Stanley Pinsley was his name, and as he had taught me, Bill corrected himself this in turn. He finally said, this one is almost as good as me. That's all I really wanted. I had unintentionally stumped the amazing Maser. Bill Maser died at Danbury, Connecticut, in October of twenty thirteen, at the age of ninety two, and people are still asking me about him. Congratulations Bill, and thank you. I've done all the damage I can do here. Thank you for listening. Countdown. Musical directors Brian Ray and John Phillip Chanelle arranged, produced, and performed most of our music. Mister Ray was on the guitars, bass and drums, Mister Chanelle handled orchestration and keyboards, and it was produced by Tko Brothers. Other music, including some of the Beethoven compositions, were arranged and performed by the group No Horns Allowed. The sports music is the Olberman theme from ESPN two. It was written by Mitch Warren Davis and a Peers courtesy of ESPN. Our satirical and pithy musical comments are by Nancy Fauss, the best baseball stadium organist ever. My announcer today was my friend Larry David. Everything else was pretty much my fault as usual. So that's countdown for this the ninety seventh day until the twenty twenty four presidential election. They three second day since convicted feldon Donald Trump's first attempted coup against the democratically elected government of the United States. Use the September eighteenth sentencing hearing, use the mental health system and involuntary commitment. You've got it, President Biden. Use presidential immunity to stop him from doing it again while we still can. And anti Semitic, anti immigration Republicans, please stop shooting at Trump. The next scheduled countdown is tomorrow. Bulletins as the news requires till the next one. I'm Keith Oldraman good morning, good afternoon, good night, and good luck. Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.