Speaker 1: All right, man. One of my favorite guests, the CEO oh Wow of Yee Apparel. I forgot about that and one of the according to Tyler, the fastest growing gun channel on YouTube, the most subscribers, fastest growing gun channel and all of YouTube. The host of that is right here with us up the stable too. That's where Parker sim Now he's here. He's here, Parker Smith right here. Oh, it's me also, my brother.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: That's where I know you from now from the YouTube chan.
Speaker 1: There are so many people that say I saw you, I know you, and and it's from the YouTube channel, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: It's really crazy.
Speaker 1: One of the subscribers, now, it's been two weeks since you've been on.
Speaker 2: Like two point six I think two point six million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know for a fact it's over that because I just looked. But and then by by the time this comes out, it'll probably be like two point eight ye yee. Life is the channel, and man, the concept of it, Parker, it was it was a brilliant idea. It was like, I want to do a MythBusters of what you could shoot and do like a sixty second version. So he does he does a short sixty second version of a MythBusters What could you shoot with? What happens if you shoot this? And then a long form it's like ten or twelve minutes once a week, and now the long forms are getting a million and the short forms are getting like fifty million.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're basically trying to pull in like a forty five minute episode of like an old school TV Discovery Channel episode and curate it to gen Z in fifty five seconds.
Speaker 4: So I just watched the ATM one. Fascinating man.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 4: They I think they built ATM machines and said Okay, somebody go destroy this, and then okay, we need to redo some things. And then they made that one and they said somebody go destroy this. Yeah, and then they rebuilt some things and that's the version.
Speaker 3: You got a machine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was would you crazy caliber?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like four or five fifty cal rounds would not open it. And then like literally we spent like seven hours out there and then it was yeah, a lot of time with a crowbar and a sledgchhammer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a fun one. So you're you're producer, we should say, Zach, he finds these things like on Facebook marketplace basically did you shoot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's like a vulture. He's just scours Facebook marketplace for just the most random stuff. So he got a sewer lid from Facebook marketplace. He got a fire hydrant, We've got a telephone poll. We got the ATM machine that was work. It was a working ATM machine and everything, and then we just recently did a prison door. It was like a legit bulletproof door from like a federal prison today today.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you don't mind me asking, how much should that the ATM machine cost?
Speaker 5: I think he was listing it at five hundred and fifty dollars and then Zach got it for like three p fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for those of you listening like that, that video will make that back, so it's not like, oh, what a waste, you know, it's actually for really good calls.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great investment.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 5: I always think who else would this guy have sold this to? You know, like, who's going to buy this old manhole cover for two hundred bucks?
Speaker 1: If you don't sell it to us, what'd you buy the manhole cover for?
Speaker 2: I think like two hundred bucks?
Speaker 1: My goodness, ripoff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: It was like a guy in a garage and he like had all these turkeys and cages and stuff. Z. Actually he like rolls up on some really weird, weird little homesteads of these people selling this stuff. It was like made in India.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But it's really cool, man.
Speaker 5: It's like a perfect time of to do this type of channel because of Facebook marketplace. Like twenty years ago, I don't think you would have been able to find this stuff anywhere except for maybe like when eBay was first invented.
Speaker 4: But now it's just like or some antique store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: It would just be a rare fun Yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is what your wife does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no manhole covers or ancient ATM machines. But yeah, she looks for good antiques and books for Granger out there on the in the red barn. A lot of those books or some of those books, not a lot of them, but some of those books all came from just her shopping around. Yeah. But you know, I wonder how that conversation went about the manhole cover. Was it was it like for six months the wife was telling him to get that thing out of the garage or would you please just get this out of here.
Speaker 6: Andcek, is it like a lazy guy who's like a hoarder, or is it like a genius Gary Vaynerchuck who's like out here flipping like yeah, fish, yeah.
Speaker 4: FLI I sold this guy shot it with a bunch of guns. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does Zach ever tell him what he's gonna do with what he's buying?
Speaker 2: They never asked, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got he's got to give.
Speaker 2: Gotten anvils he got.
Speaker 5: He drove to Dallas and picked up like an old airplane door and that one was like eight hundred dollars. And I just think, I said, do you think that that guy's turned to his wife right when you close the door, just like, can you believe we've got that guy up us eight hundred bucks for that piece of junk?
Speaker 4: And it was just in the way to them. That's hilarious because most of that cause I know, I just know how I sell my stuff. You know, it's like nobody's gonna buy this, throw it up there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so then reach out to the Grangersmith podcast if you have something for us to shoot. We had a guy bring a secret service window. I got a legit pain of glass from a secret decommissioned Secret Service vehicle.
Speaker 2: And that was the coolest thing that I've ever shot. So if you get if you have something like that, let us know.
Speaker 1: We'll buy from me. Yeah. So about once a month, you guys sweep through there, get the trash and take it to the dump. Is that right? Basically?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we tried to.
Speaker 5: It's the prison door that we just shot today is extremely heavy and the ATM is extremely heavy, so we're kind of dreading that, but we got to get rid of those two.
Speaker 1: Somebody shot a prison door today. Did you say you didn't say.
Speaker 4: That yet already?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did it. I did earlier. That's what you You got it today and you shot it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh so we need to say too that Tyler was invited. Tyler was invited to sit here with us, and he couldn't. He couldn't make it today. He's busy.
Speaker 4: He had an appointment.
Speaker 1: He had an appointment that he had to be at. In that appointment was a massage. And man said, man, did did he is it? Does he have an injury or like he's getting a massage? And I said, no, that's just the most Tyler Smith thing ever.
Speaker 4: I was like, like, I'm close enough with you guys now, but I'm not. I mean not to the ragging your brother stage right, Like you know I could. I giggled to myself, that's funny that you said. You could have just said an appointment. I had something to do, but you pointed out, I'm sorry, I can't be there. I have a massage, And I thought, first I read a message and I was gonna make some funny joke. I was like, Okay, we're close, but I don't know if we're that close yet. Let's see, so.
Speaker 1: We'll just talk about it on the podcast. So correct me if I'm wrong. You probably know Parker because you work with him every day. But I told Anne, I said, I bet you this is some kind of He read this in a book somewhere, some kind of self help, where it was like, you need to make time for yourself in your busy day. You need to schedule a massage in the middle of the day for thirty minutes. Put your phone away, clear your mind, make sure it's on the calendar. Don't break that.
Speaker 2: I think he does the ninety minute.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, bet, don't break that appointment for anything. Get your massage, and then re enter the workplace. Is that something like what happened.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's exactly what happened, but I know that he has said that.
Speaker 5: His messuse will say that the only way that a massage can have long term effects is if you go regularly. Otherwise all the knots, all the knots come back.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I would say if I remember, oh, you got to do You've got to do this once a month.
Speaker 1: That's the same thing. I've only been to a chiropractor a few times when I've been injured, and I've gone to a chiropractor and then they'll they'll they make the adjustment and they're like, okay, well, I would say, we need to probably do this weekly, So how are tuesdays for you? And I'm like, I can't do this weekly tuesdays? No, yeah, no, I can't do this.
Speaker 2: The chiropractor thing is annoying.
Speaker 4: I'll come back to you when my rib pops out again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can't know. If they're chiropractors listening, they're probably like, no, this is what we do, Like, you don't understand it actually does help, and maybe it does. Maybe there's great, there's probably great benefits in a regular scheduled chiropractor. But that's just not something in my life that I could give up and do. It's expensive, first of all, but to be able to give up a Tuesday or whatever afternoon. This is not like haircuts at the farm. No we do.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, haircuts are different. Hair continues to grow. You got to do something about it.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, it's not that they just come and give everybody a shoulders, right, This is he makes the appointment and leaves and goes to the destination and gets the massage.
Speaker 1: So we would have Tyler here otherwise, and he would have some great things to say. In fact, I saw a comment on the last video we did US four and then it said, hey, grandre, you need to stop talking and let your guest talk more, especially Tyler. Okay, so that's to that person.
Speaker 4: So next week, welcome to the Tyler Smith Podcast.
Speaker 1: I was going to let him talk. Just listen, just soak in the wisdom.
Speaker 5: Tyler's like not like a classic guest where you're asking him about his life, that's all. They are, just like answering questions together, that's right. And Tyler's not naturally a talker.
Speaker 4: I think you should do it from the massage room.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 4: While he's getting the massage. Yeah, that'll be just.
Speaker 1: So I and we got Parker, thankfully we got Parker. He's very busy with the Gee Pearl summer launch this week. As this podcast releases, it will be in the past. But you've been super busy with that, and I'm I don't know, I'm biased, but this summer launch is awesome. A Yee Pearl man, so many faith shirts and hats. Now it's like we had one faith shirt and we had one faith hat and then now now that's what I prefer to wear from Yege is the faith shirts. Man. That Revelation five shirt is so cool. That the harvest is plentiful is great, not know for one hat. Ye it's a good launch when you're wearing.
Speaker 5: Been really fun. It's almost like reignited my passion for it. And I think it has for you two to like finally be like, all right, this is us now. And it's been a lot of fun too come up with a concept of some actual meaningful message from the Bible and be able to express that in a shirt for somebody who wants to wear that. So it's been super fun with also throwing in some of the classics like faith and outdoor stuff as well. It's just we're excited to finally be able to bring in the faith element.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing the Resurrection, the one we put out for Easter, right, But anyway, I'm always wearing some combo of something now because I love the conversation starter that it becomes. And I was at a sandwich shop recently, and this is the month of June, so it's you know, Pride month, and I had a ninety nine for one hat and one of the faith shirts I forgot what it was. And the person serving me taking my order had a pin, a rainbow pin, and it said safe Person. And we're just talking about the sandwich, you know. But I was thinking, Wow, this is really this is interesting because she's wearing her apparel and I'm wearing mine.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Hers says safe person. Mine says we seek and save the lost. Christ seeks and saves the lost, and we should leave no sheep behind, you know. And so I was convicted by my own merg as I'm looking at her because I could look at her and be like, she's different. She does she hates me, she believes something different than Mecca. I could think that, but it's wrong thinking. And so I'm convicted that she's she's a child of God standing before me, and she wears a pin that says safe person, insinuating that I'm not. That's what that means. That's what that pin means. It means I am not a safe person. Which is also interesting because of that quote that CS Lewis quote from Chronicles of Narnia when in the in Chronicles of Narnia, mister Beaver is having this conversation and Alice or not Alice Lucy says, talks talking about the lion Aslan. He's he's a lion. They find out as Land they're great. King Is is a lion, and she goes a lion. Is he safe? And mister Beaver said safe? Oh who said anything about safe? He's not safe, but he's good.
Speaker 4: Mh.
Speaker 1: I thought, oh, man, that's that's the situation I'm in. I'm not safe to her, but I'm good. Now. I'm not putting myself as you know, an image of Christ or anything. I'm just saying what I represent is good exactly. I'm not saying it's me I'm not good in myself, but what I represent the message with my hat and my shirt is good, but it's not safe. So anyway, just a small, a small instance of being convicted by my own merch. But why it's so important to wear like can you imagine if I was wearing that, and she was wearing that, and I was like, hey, too much mustard on I said, I didn't want onions? What was the deal? Can you imagine if I was a jerk wearing that, what kind of false witness that would be? How horrible that would be? Or if I was if I saw her pen and just immediately didn't want to talk to her or just thought I'm better than her something, What a pharisee I would be speaking of. I've got I've got Luke seven pulled up here because I've decided I'm going to Latin America coming up very soon. It might even be gone by the time this pod comes out. It might be so I've been Travis asked me to preach a Sunday morning and a Sunday evening, and so I started thinking about I preached at a mais I preached John three, so that would probably be a good one. For them and what else. And I was thinking about things that I've done recently, and nothing really hit like I didn't really want to do one of Paul's letters or something like that. But then I thought, what if I did Luke seven, The the Sinful Woman Forgiven? And so I I wrote that sermon because I needed to write it out because of the translator. But I wrote it like two to only two days. It would usually take longer to write a sermon, but it's much easier to write this because because it's shorter for that because of the translator, and it's more to the point because there's a language and cultural barrier. I don't have to I can't give an illustration about you know. So it's just text teaching application. That's the sermon. But man, what a what an amazing story. In Luke seven, one of the fairy asked Jesus to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisees house and reclined at table and behold a woman of the city who was a sinner most people believe, probably a prostitute. When when she learned that he was reclining at the table at the Pharisees house, brought an alabascar flask of ointment, and standing behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears and wipe them with the hair of her head, which is a woman, and this time would never take her hair down, and kissed his feet and anointed them with the ointment. And when the pharisee who had invited him, saw this, he said to himself, if this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who was touching him, for she is a sinner. Now this guy's name was Simon, the pharisee, not to be confused with Peter. And Jesus answered him, which is funny, He answered him, The guy was just thinking it, because this is now. The pharisee saw this, said to himself, if this man were a prophet, he would know what sort of woman this is. Jesus answered his thought to himself, which is terrifying. It must have been said you just thought, He said, Simon, I have something to say to you, And he answered, say it, teacher. A certain money lender had two debtors, one who owed five hundred denari, which is a day's wages, so five hundred days wages. He owed this guy and the other the other fifty fifty days wages. When they could not pay. Both of them can't pay, he canceled the debt of both. Now, which of them will love him more? Simon answered the one I suppose, for whom he canceled the larger debt. Suppose like suppose, yeah, for sure, of course, the one of the five hundred days is going to be forgiven. It's gonna love more. Of course. He's like, oh, my goodness, right, And he said to him, you have judged rightly. Then turned toward the woman. He said to Simon another interesting thing. Turns to the woman, but he's saying to Simon the pharisee. Do you see this woman? I entered your house. You gave me no water from my feet, and she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss that from the time I came in, she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore, I tell you her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little loves little. And he said to her, always saying to her, your sins are forgiven. Than those who were at the table begin to say among themselves, who is this who even forgives sins? And he said to the woman, your faith has saved you. Go in peace, which also could mean go into peace, walk into peace. Amazing story. Only one other time in the Bible is someone kissing Jesus? You think of the one other time? Judas? Yeah, just two times, one this woman and the opposite side Judas.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah. Who was the woman perceived as horrible and the scum of the earth to being the redeemed and the one that was perceived as being the follower is the opposite?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, Such an encouraging message to those who who have done horrible things. You know who you know. The common miss misinterpretation is that you need to clean yourself up before you can come to God. And man, how clear could that be that Jesus is like, come you sick? I mean, how many illustrations does he give of those with leprosy that no one else wants to be around?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: He come the way you are and repent and trust in him. You're not too dirty? For him to clean you up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's interesting as I was thinking through this, that there are sins of omission where we sin active like that's what she had done. This woman was a sinner. She did something, sure, but there's also a sense of commission, where it's sinse of not doing something. And this is what Simon the Pharisee was guilty of. You did not annoint my head with oil, You did not kiss me, you know all the things. You did not give me water when I entered your house.
Speaker 4: I think that's also saying you did not recognize who was with you. Yeah she did and you didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, that's all the above. But we tend to think like I didn't do that. Yeah, yeah, exactly. Well that's not the only way to sin. You can also sin in your heart. You're can also sin by not doing something. So we're all we're all guilty. Basically, none of us are out of this. We're all guilty. We all are the five hundred day deader. You know, of course, you know that's that's us. She recognized that this guy didn't.
Speaker 4: And if you've given an analogy of somebody with more debt, that would be us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's such a good point to realize that we're all Simon too, you know, because my first thought was, man, how encouraging for those with loads of sin that have done things they're so ashamed of that they can come to Christ's feet and he will forgive them earnestly. And then you're just like, oh, wait, I'm Simon. I'm the guy muttering in my mind like how many even you? You're just you are so condemned when you think about when you think about the fact that Jesus can nose every thought, every posture of your heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So to that point, I think what I would lead this with in Latin America is what do you think is your greatest need? Is it clean water? Is it food? Is it medicine? Is it a new roof? Is it a wife or a husband, is it a child? Is it for you to be healed of something? All of those are good things, yeah, but not your greatest need. It is to be forgiven of your sins, which has caused a separation between you and God. And there's only one way to be forgiven of that so that you could be brought to God, clean and holy, and that is through Christ faith in Jesus, Believe in Jesus, believe that he at the cross, his sacrifice is the means by which you can be forgiven, look to him and trust him in.
Speaker 4: That makesious to hear how that goes for many reasons, but one two is that a completely different world, mindset, day to day activities in that world you're going to than we are, because you get you know, we were kind of used to even the message. You know, sometimes they can fall on deaf ears because we've heard it before, or we've heard some sibilis of it before. But ones who either haven't heard it or just have a different lifestyle than we do, not completely different, Like if they're worried about you know, uh, sewer and water and things like that that we just take for granted, how they accept a message like this and how much deeper that I think that it settles.
Speaker 1: And then the Martin Luther talking about her, this woman's tears, and he said they were it was water of her heart, the water of her heart. That was interesting, and I thought, that's that'll probably translate really nice, you know, I go, you know whatever.
Speaker 5: And then you can look at the verse, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness which stood against us and condemned us.
Speaker 2: He's taking it away now.
Speaker 5: To the cross, like that debt.
Speaker 2: So you address the.
Speaker 5: Need that the knowledge, acknowledge the debt that you owe your greatest need, and then come to Christ like she is, and he will take it away, nail it to the cross in his in his feet, in his hands.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's such a good visual.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is so that I can give them your lin evidence against Granger Smith. This is your debt that you owe to God and you can't pay it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, so good. See that just blesses me. Like, Yeah, when we go on a trip like this, it's like we say, fifty percent of it is planned, So this whole thing could fall through.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First of all, I might not even make it there. Second of all, we might not make it through the mountains to the church. Anything could happen. It doesn't matter. I was already blessed by Luke seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I was already nourished by the word. If I get to preach it even better, even better, But I was already I've already been so nourished just in two days and with you guys, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really cool, and it'd be good, you know, if they hear it, or if it's saved for some other group or you know trip.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of tears, when we were at the iHeart Fest, you and I they I was at in one of the interviews, I was asked, is there a movie that makes you cry? And I was like, first of all, I ask you guys, but I think I said Braveheart? Was this Brook?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, someone else?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It was a girl from New York?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, yeah, I don't know her name?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: I said, Braveheart, which is always a movie that makes me cry. I can't watch. I'm not really a crier, but I can't watch him on that table at the end. Never seen it? You've never seen my smissed? Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never seen.
Speaker 1: Do you not want to?
Speaker 4: Or I just never have?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, I'd love to.
Speaker 4: All Right, I need to pause on this.
Speaker 1: Watch it. Let's pause the video. You go watch it and come back. No, will you watch? Will you go ahead and watch it? We'll talk. Well, I won't say what I was about this, No you can, okay, I just uh, I get so broken down by that movie. And then there's on a much lighter side Rudy, I I get. Have you seen Rudy? No, okay, okay, sorry, that's another one. Maybe you just hate Day. Maybe you hate notre Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's part of it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't, Yeah, I got. I got Rudy if it gets to me.
Speaker 4: But I do know the story of that Jerseys and then and then there's the one I forgot to tell her is the one I'm thinking about right now.
Speaker 1: First of all, go ahead, do you have that? You have any movies? Yeah? Three come to mind.
Speaker 5: Number one Paul Apostle of Christ, I think is an underrated movie.
Speaker 1: When he's got a shaved head, I think, yes, yeah, yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: They use the guy who played Jesus in Passion of the Christ and he plays Luke in that one, and I thought it was well done.
Speaker 1: Zel Yeah, okay, cool.
Speaker 5: Number two is the Case for Christ, based on the book by Lee Strouble, and then three is ready. Those are the first three that come to mind.
Speaker 1: I'm a crier, though, man, I don't know if I've seen Case for Christ. Maybe I have, I can't remember. I didn't know it was a movie. Yeah, it's pretty well done. Yeah, the Patch speakers speaking of Passion of the Christ. I don't watch that too often, but there are moments from that that will break me down for sure. So what about you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Passion is one of them, and I've only seen it a couple of times, but it's one of those that I mean, you know, there's none of it's in English.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not.
Speaker 4: One English word in this entire movie, and just the the emotion pulled out by every character in every instance of it. And I'll say that even how I loved how he used in that movie a woman that you couldn't really tell was a woman a satan. It's just just an interesting figure that just lurked. And but just yeah, that movie and then also a newer one, Journey to Bethlehem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. The end of that movie is just you know, yeah, I hear you on this.
Speaker 4: What's her name or what's his name? And just the one tear falls from Mary's.
Speaker 1: Face Jesus so on on the side note that on the Passion, there's the there's the scene when he's in front of the council the Sanhedrin. Yeah, and they're the Pharisees are putting him on a trial and they're they're trying to get him to slip up and they're giving you remember this, and it's the big trial scene and he's not saying anything, and then then he does and they and they spit on him in that one tier falls in his face. It's just so man. That just crushes me. Yeah, if you're trying to get a gift for someone that you think has everything, how about a special video message from me. It's easy to do. Go to cameo dot com slash Granger Smith and you put in the prompt what you want me to say. I get that message on my phone. I'll say happy birthday, happy anniversary, whatever personalized message you want me to say to whoever you want me to say it to. I send it to you and you give it to them. It's pretty cool. Go to cameo dot com slash granger Smith. So let's change gears a movie that I forgot to say, old Yeller.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't think I've seen that since I was a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't remember it.
Speaker 1: So what happened was Matt Everick comes in our house and he's got like frogs in his pocket. You know, he goes out for a while, he's in even if he's wearing overalls. And he goes out and he goes through around our little farm here early in the morning, and he comes back and he'll have like a frog and and and he's all dirty and it's barefoot. And I'm like, you're the kid on Old Yeller, Like you're a little all yeah, And I said, in fact, we should watch it. And so we started watching it one day and he loved it nice, and so we wanted to watch it over and over and over. But what what was happening was we were getting Maverick has this thing where he likes to go to the beginning, start at the beginning. So if we watch thirty minutes of the movie, go do something else. The next day we come back in wants to watch Old Yeller, but he wants to start at the beginning. We can't pick up where we left dog. It doesn't make sense to him to do that. He has to start at the beginning. There's some weird OCD with that. But anyway, one day we finally made it to the end that scene when when he goes out there at night and figures out that Old Yeller has rabies hydrophoby I literally there's just tears just foured down my face. So I was watching it with's Maverick and.
Speaker 4: I was like, wow, this movie does he crying? What's going on?
Speaker 1: No, he knew that it was sad because you can tell about the music. But but you're just this stinking movie about a boy and his dog crying like so many people. But it is so well made. The acting, these the the action. I cannot believe that dog fights a bear, a wolf, a raccoons, it fights pigs, it fights a cow. What in the world and none of its special effects. They're good acting animals.
Speaker 4: I wonder how many there were of Yeller. One really was.
Speaker 1: His name was Spike.
Speaker 4: I looked it up.
Speaker 1: His name was Spike, and he was like very special. He was huge, evidently like he when he's on his hind legs and standing straight up, he would look you in the eye. That's how wow. Really big dog. But just a great actor and great obviously, great trainers for all the animals. Every every animal had a trainer. But but as I was watching the movie, and you know, new Eyes as a Christian, and they they're burying old Yeller, him and Elizabeth, Yeah, and his dad comes home his dad's been on this cattle drive the whole movie. He leaves at the beginning of the movie, he comes back at the end. The whole in between, he's gone on a cattle drive, and so he doesn't ever meet Old Yeller. He just shows up the day that the Travis is burying him and he's bringing Travis his horse that he wanted from the beginning of the movie wanted. All he wanted was a horse. He brings his horse, and now Travis is not It's hard for him to even be interested because because Yeller's gone. Because Yeller's gone, so that the wife says, he says, worse Travis, and he's up on the hill with Elizabeth Barry and Old Yeller. He said, Old Yeller and she said, sit down a minute, I'll tell you the story. So he sits down and then he appears and he comes to Travis and he says, son, let's talk. And so I'm like, oh wow, this is good, like classic nineteen fifties dad talks to his son. Here we go. And I was so disappointed with what he says. It's like meaningless.
Speaker 4: What do you not like about it?
Speaker 1: It's just empty. It's just like h it's like foam on the top of coffee or something. It's like it does nothing. It's it's fog with no rain. It's it just has no substance. And I thought, now, this is Disney, so I'm not expecting like to, you know, move mountains here, and I know that they're found is pretty shaky, But I just you kind of think, like, here's a moment when you could really have this. The whole movie could climax with the good Father who comes in and gives his boy some advice. So you have the clip here. Yeah, we're gonna play it, Play it for Parker and for everyone else to take take a look at this, and then we're gonna think about what would we have said. You got a boy, come sit down, Sun, it's right here, and you're like, Okay, it's gonna be great. Music's building.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: It was rough son, rough things I ever heard tell. But I'm mighty proud of how my boy stood up to me. Couldn't that's no more of a grown man.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: The thing to do now is try and forget it, go and being a man. Oh pah, how are you going to forget something like that?
Speaker 7: Well, I guess I don't quite mean that. It's not a thing you can forget, maybe not even the thing you want to forget. What I'm trying to say is.
Speaker 3: Life's like that. Sometimes like what.
Speaker 7: Well now, and then for no good reason a man can figure out, life will just all off and knock him flat, slam him again in the ground's heart.
Speaker 3: It seemed like all his insides is busting. It's not all like that.
Speaker 7: A lot of it's mighty fine, and you can't afford to waste the good part fretting about the bad that makes it all bad. You understand what I'm trying to get.
Speaker 1: At, yes, sir, just.
Speaker 3: Sure. I know saying it's one thing and feeling it's another. But I'll tell you a trick.
Speaker 7: It's sometimes a big help, and you start looking around for something good to take the place of the bad.
Speaker 3: As a general rule, you can find it.
Speaker 1: That's it, right. I think they're writing the script because he's getting a new puppy. You know there's new puppy at that. Yes, yeah, but still, did you guys feel like yeah a little bit.
Speaker 5: He tells him to forget it, and then he says, well, never mind. I guess you can't forget it.
Speaker 4: Maybe you can't forget that.
Speaker 5: And he kind of lost me, and then he just kind of says exactly the kid. The kid was zoned out too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's in his worst moment. And he goes, well, son, sometimes you just got to forget it and just look for the good. What how do I forget it? And he goes, well, I guess you can't. But you know what you can do is look for the good to replace it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I guess the general the general consensus of that conversation was if you only look at the bad, everything will be bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you look at the good, then most things will be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not I mean, this is not Shakespeare. This is not like, no I understand speech. But yeah, as far as what you would say to So's son, like, you know.
Speaker 1: So, oh wow, that's weird, opened right up to thirty. So I'm thirty four without trying. That's interesting. You know what you could say because because you got a little David at home, you're gonna have to have these conversations one day part and so will I. And the beginning of what he said was great, like that's hard. Yeah, I'm so sorry. This is tough, and what you have done, what you have endured, is as hard as a man would have to endure basically. But then you get to the meat of it. You could say something like, but I want to tell you, son, the Bible says that the Lord is near to the broken heart. Yeah, and saves the crushed and spirit. And for all the brokenness we see in this world, we remember we have a savior whose body was broken for us so that we could have joy in him. That even when this fallen world seems to be lost and we love much, and that when we love something a whole lot, we grieve it a lot when it's gone. But we're reminded in this fallen world that when things are lost, they will one day be restored, redeemed, and renewed because we have that promise in our Savior Jesus. So when you miss your dog, remember that he is a gift from the Great Giver who promises you will be with him. You will see him face to face. Everything you loved about old Yeller is in our Savior. Remember him and you'll be sad for today, but tomorrow there'll be joy.
Speaker 4: Joy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, what if you said something would be like a first seats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the day that that was made you, they could have gotten by with that. Yeah, I could have Yeah, maybe not in twenty twenty five, but they could have no. Yeah, yeah, yeah when you you asked you asked me that, like, watch this and think about what you would say to you get the general consensus of what you just said would be the thing. It's like, man, I know that this sucks. Yeah, this is tough, but there is hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's not that he's just a dog, because it's kind of representative a lot of things in life. Yeah, good things are gonna come and the good things are going to go. Would give us the Lord taketh away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for those out there that haven't seen Old Yeller, go do yourself as favor and see watch Old Yeller. I hope obviously he dies, but the way that he dies is I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna say, and that's not the hardest part that we just watched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy. You got a question or two?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this couple? Do you want to read them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like the old days? Okay, Hey Granger, my name is a j I'm twenty years old from West Michigan and before I get into the question, let me just remind her about it. You could email podcast at grangersmith dot com and we'll we'll answer them. Podcast at grangersmith dot com could be about any subject, and AJ says, since coming back from why Why Wham? Is that what he said?
Speaker 4: Yeah, youth, I think it? Does it say afterwards?
Speaker 1: Yeah, youth with a mission? Yeah, I've been digging deeper into Christian history and different denominations. Why Wham didn't cause all my questions, but it definitely sparked a new passion in me for Jesus and the truth. I've got a lot of questions, things like veneration of saints or whether Mary was sinless, the Eucharists, the papacy, and the Reformation. I know you come from a Southern Baptist background and I was raised Reformed, still part of the c RC church, So I'd really love to hear your take on some of these common debates between Orthodox Catholic Protestant traditions like solo scriptura, the papacy, the role of the church. Love the podcast, God Bless, Wow, that's how we're starting this thing.
Speaker 2: That's a whole podcast.
Speaker 1: Episode that is a whole podcast. Maybe we should do this. If more people want to hear about this subject, we could. We can definitely do the entire show on this. A couple couple of things stand out to me. First, I'll say I don't come from a Southern Baptist background. I don't what background do we come from? Do you think I think? I'd say Methodists?
Speaker 2: For me, I was raised in a Presbyterian.
Speaker 1: Okay church, we're brothers, and that's different, so very similar. Yeah, I am. I currently am a Southern Baptist by not by tradition, but by conviction. And second thing, I want to say, it's interesting in this small list of questions, I see right here whether Mary was sinless, and that really ties nicely with our first our first conversation we were having and going to Luke seven and our greatest human need to be forgiven. That was Mary's greatest need too. All humans, all of them, every one of them, have inherited the sin of Adam and the original sin, and all of us are in desperate need of being forgiven by a holy God where our sin has caused separation between us and Him, and Jesus becomes the means by which we are reconciled including Mary. When Paul writes that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, he does not say all have sinned except one, and her name is Mary, and that's just all means all all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. So although Mary was chosen for this amazing mission that's very unique to every other woman and every other man, to carry the Son of God in her bosom, although she was favored in that way, that she was favored because all because of God's favor and not because of her own merit. She didn't earn that God wasn't looking down going it's up to three right now. I got this, I got this Elizabeth girl, I got Mary, and I've got this other girl, Sarah. And it's kind of close right now, but I'm kind of leaning Mary. You know, she's doing really well, and if she continues on this path by the time she's fourteen or fifteen, I'm gonna go ahead and send the Angel.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: No, before Mary was conceived, Yeah, she was always to be the one that would carry the Christ. Favored and loved in that way. So we could answer that any guys want to jump in on the other things, U Christ, Papasi, Reformation, Saints, veneration of saints.
Speaker 4: Part of what caught my eye. I'd never heard that before. Someone saying that Mary was sinless.
Speaker 1: Really, well, that's a big thing. I just never thought about that. I don't know Jesus was the only sinless person I hear. It seems obvious, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's why I guess it didn't cross.
Speaker 1: I saw it like that's a question. No, it really is. Yeah, it's been.
Speaker 4: I'm not meaning to be rude.
Speaker 1: No, I know you're not yet.
Speaker 5: I love that you're I love that you Yeah, yeah, totally, anything stand out to you part. I just had a conversation with my sister in law yesterday about the Eucharist, okay, and we asked why she didn't partake when she's visiting our church. Asked why she didn't partake in the Lord's Supper, and she said, because it was not.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: What did she say?
Speaker 5: Consecrated m And the Catholic Church believes in the process of transubstantiation, which means fancy word for saying that they take the Scripture to mean that the body and blood of Jesus Christ only a priest or Dane priest can literally perform the miracle before you partake in the Lord's Supper of literally turning the wine into Jesus Christ's blood and the bread into Jesus Christ's flesh. And she said, we get that because Jesus says, unless you eat, if my body injured.
Speaker 2: My blood, then yeah, he commands them to do that. So it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 5: And so that got me looking into like what the different how different denominations take what Jesus meant by that. And Baptists historically believe that it was symbolic that you remember his his body and blood shed for you and take an eat, whereas the Catholics can believe that it's literally turns into his blood.
Speaker 2: In his flesh.
Speaker 1: M hm, not just Catholics, there's others two anything else standing out, guys. I mean Reformation that that could be entire, Yeah, entire.
Speaker 5: You know, really good book on the Reformation is called The Unquenchable Flame by Michael Reeves. So if a guy who asked that question is interested, I think that would be a really good resource.
Speaker 1: It's a good short read. Yeah, yeah, common debates. He says, the last question is common debates between Orthodox Catholic Protestant traditions, like like solar scripturer. I've heard west Hoff talk about that, what is solar scripture? Scripture alone? Okay, that the authority comes from scripture alone, not a not an authority for I'm a person or an organization or church or a creed. I could say that too, or a confession. But from scripture alone, that's where we get our final authority. That doesn't mean that other things aren't incredibly important, like all the things I just named, and we should. We could learn much and be encouraged much from those other things. But the the buck stops at the Bible, and not that. I gotta be careful what I'm saying, because it's it's it's it's I'm not saying that it's solo scripture. It doesn't mean I only listen to the Bible, meaning I don't listen to a pastor. I don't need a pastor to tell me anything. I don't listen to a fellow church member that tells me anything. I only listen to the Bible. I don't, you know, like there is a there's a danger in that. So there's a there there's the nuance but solo scriptura bactually basically comes from the Bible itself. It says all scripture is breathed out by God. This is one part where Hall tells Timathy. All scripture is breathed out by God. It's profitable for teaching, for proof, for correction, and for training and righteousness, that the Man of God may be complete equipped for every good work that's there is. There are many places in the Bible that says trust this, you could trust this. And the break in that comes from Matthew eighteen, the sixteen the Keys of the Kingdom. So we can talk about that and that that might kind of help this this conversation too. I like how we just spend a lot of time on these things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean here hopefully you that are watching or listening or are learning as well. But I mean I didn't know until just recently that there was actually a different Bible in Catholics. Forgot.
Speaker 1: So Matthew sixteen, this is where this whole thing comes from. Really, this whole break and a big part of this discussion breaks right here. Besides the Eucharist, when Jesus says this is my body, we have to also remember he also says I am the door. Right, It doesn't necessarily mean he's bored with hinges on it. So the confession that Peter gives to Christ is the confession of the faith right, and he is when he says, who do people say that I am?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Jesus is saying this, who do people say that I am?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Some say Elijah, some of the prophets, maybe Jeremiah. And he says, who do you say that I am? And Peter replied, you are the christ son of the Living God. And Jesus answered him, blessed are you, Simon Barjona, For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father, who is in heaven. And I tell you you were, Peter. And on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. And whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ. So this conversation comes from this where it's like, oh, he gave Peter the keys to Heaven, right, here, which was then later interpreted by Pope Leo hundreds of years later that that that that's where the papacy started. The keys to the kingdom means you're the first pope. Here's the keys. You get to decide is the papacy decides. Essentially, I'm simplifying this, but this is where it all comes from. That's where you a lot of times you see Saint Peter on a statue and he's holding a ring of keys. And it's also what we see. We hear the songs, the country songs, like Saint Peter's at the gates. Sure, Saint Peter, won't you let me in? You know he's got the key. Saint Peter literally's up there with keys, you know.
Speaker 4: Didn't we see a statue when we're in Israel, Peter.
Speaker 1: There's there's one of those statues. I forgot you were with me. It is where was that Compernium. It's in Compernium where his house was, Yeah, where Peter's house was. That's Peter's hometown in Compernium. There is a statue of Peter holding that holding the keys of the kingdom. But it is but we we believe this as in context of the whole Bible, in context of other scriptures that that help affirm this that Jesus is talking about his confession. It is on this confession. It's on this rock. You didn't I'm up with this idea yourself, Father in heaven is the one that gave you these words. And it's on this confession that I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. And it is the church that will hold the keys that binds and loose, the loosening and the binding, and on earth and in Heaven comes through the Church. And the gates of hell will not prevail against my church. And this is also where they say Jesus Christ is. This is the Catholic Church. Is Jesus Christ Church here, it is right here, Matthew sixteen. I will build my church that Peter started, that Christ Christ Church that he gave to Peter to give the keys.
Speaker 3: Here it is.
Speaker 1: This is the Catholic is the beginning, and anything else is post to see, anything else is schismatic. So anyway, that's where that's where it all comes from. It's interesting you and I being there, you know, seeing that in Comparnium again are we gonna say part nothing. Add I just pulled up the picture of it, the statue. Yeah, yeah, uh, none of the question. I'm so glad we have the Bible at the table now. It's so nice. There's so much more to that, and I didn't answer a lot of it, and there's stuff I left out.
Speaker 4: So but what was his name?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: From a J I mean, stay stay on and keep checking back and hopefully you subscribed already, because if you know, we'd go back and do one. That's just maybe just that question and dig into a little bit deeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That the.
Speaker 1: The the battle cry of the of the Reformation was the Five sou Laws, which was which was you're saved? How are you justified before God? How are you saved? Justified as a fancy word for saved, sure, how are you saved?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: It's interesting thinking about Luke seven with the sin the sinful woman, and how is saved well? By faith? She was saved by faith? He says, go, your faith has saved you, Go in peace. It wasn't It wasn't anything that she did.
Speaker 4: It was she didn't say a prayer.
Speaker 1: She didn't say prayer. She didn't need someone to tell her she was saved besides Jesus, so that the five sou laws is you are saved justified by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, as according to the Bible alone, for the glory of God alone. Those are the five. And that was total heresy to the Catholic Church. And in response to that, in the Council of Trent that came out with a bunch of canons. And you could look at these cannons, especially like Canon nine, it says something paraphrasing Canon nine, Council of Trent, it's gonna say something like if anyone says they're saved by grace alone, let him be anathema, meaning let him be damned, damn him, that says, damn the one that says I'm saved by grace alone. Wow, they have not recanted that. Nobody has has gone back and said we're taking this back. We see evidence when clearly Ephesians two eight and nine says you are saved by grace alone, through faith alone. Clearly this is not your own doing. This is this is the work of God, not a result of work. So that no one may boast yeah, yeah, anything else. Okay, why don't we wrap this up because we could get into another question and knowing me and knowing you guys, this could really open up another can of worms. But I love this stuff.
Speaker 4: I love it same.
Speaker 1: I've enjoyed this, I love this format, and I love walking through it like this. I feel I feel like we could have some really good conversations in the weeks to come, just like this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's gonna don't forget, there's gonna be more on the brand new Granger Smith podcast channel if you haven't subscribed to that. The link is in the description of this video. Not only do you get this podcast both places Granger Smith Music channel where you've always got it if you've been watching for a while, or you'll also get it on the on the Granger Smith podcast channel, plus a bunch of other stuff well, clip shorts, some special messages from Granger what have you two.
Speaker 1: So stay tuned for taking this on the road too. Yes, live, Yeah, this fall coming soon.
Speaker 4: Because we're quiet right now doesn't mean we're not working.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, thanks part appreciate you coming down and see yeah, see you guys, Thank you so much for hanging out with me on this episode of the Grangersmith Podcast. I appreciate you being here. If you're listening right now, go ahead and rate today's podcast. It helps more folks find the show. And if you're tuning in on the iHeartRadio app, you could actually set this podcast as one of your presets, which is cool that way. I'm just one tap away. If you're watching on YouTube, don't forget the hit like and so subscribe so you don't miss any new episodes. And if you've got a question you want answered right here on the show, just email me podcast at grangersmith dot com. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks again for being here. We'll see you next time. Ye ye