Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And the Biden administration is canceling student loans for another one hundred and sixty thousand borrowers. Representative Jim Himes stops by to talk about the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson's chaotic rule. Then we'll talk to John Gantz about his new book When the Clock Broke, Convent Conspiracists, and how America cracked.
Speaker 2: Up in the early nineteen nineties.
Speaker 1: But first we have Washington Post columnist Dana Melbank. Welcome back to Best Politics, my friend, my buddy, one of my favorite writers, the one.
Speaker 2: The only Washington Post Dana Milbank.
Speaker 3: Oh, Molly, thank you for that build up, but it'll only be disappointing from here on.
Speaker 2: Out' that's the hope. No, not the hope.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited to hear you because I am a fan of yours, but I so like I'm not as old as you are, obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for that. Okay, that's you've taken back some of the good stuff from the introduction now.
Speaker 1: But you remember when politics was I don't want to say sane, because that was never sane, but was a little less insane. And I want you to talk about sort of what this feels.
Speaker 2: Like to you.
Speaker 1: You are in the Beltway, the Acela Corridor, as opposed to me, who was at the end of.
Speaker 3: The great You're in the heartland, right in the heartland, exactly discuss Well, look, I came to Washington in nineteen ninety five when you were in preschool.
Speaker 2: That's right, bab and or rehab.
Speaker 3: And I thought that something had gone terribly wrong that you know, it was in the Oklahoma City bombing and Gingrich is a Republican revolution just taken over. And I was like, wow, things are really going to hell here now. Of course, looking back, those are the good old days, you know, salad days was still function you know, I mean, yeah, yes, it was the beginning of bad stuff, but you know, come on, Clinton, then Gangritch could negotiate and strike some good deals and we still had a functioning government. They were sort of you know, kind of shadows, you know, suggesting what could come, but it still worked. And we've just it's just been one election cycle after note of deterioration with you know, with a couple of moments of reprieves in there. But you know, this was my whole last book, The Destructions, was about this. You know this. It was basically been a twenty five year crack up. And yeah, we're polarized and all that stuff, but really it has been, you know, half of our political system has gone bonkers, and unfortunately that at the moments at these seems to be the ascended part of our political system.
Speaker 2: So according to Paul's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to watch it as a spectator to report back to the reality based community on what I'm seeing. But man, it's it's a grind these days.
Speaker 1: So Republicans have been all in on this idea that there's something wrong with Joe Biden, and they have done this since Joe Biden came back on the scene run for president against their man. Those of us who have a memory that is longer than that of a goldfish, remember that in twenty fifteen, we were told that Hillary's health. We were told by David Pecker, the National Enquirer, who recently featured prominently in Donald Trump's criminal case, that Hillary's health was the biggest issue on the agenda that she had. You'll remember that she had terrible things wrong with her and that she was quite sick. So this is like something that Trump world likes to do. Can you make it make sense?
Speaker 3: Well? Can I make anything make sense? I mean, you know, it's trying so many different things at the same time. I mean, right now, not only are we believing that Biden is demented, but he is simultaneously hatching some secret plan to assassinate the president by sending the FBI after him with orders to kill. Never mind that they searched his own house with the same orders to kill.
Speaker 2: Right, and also there was no one home when they came, right.
Speaker 3: I think it's always about keeping somebody off balance. But you know, he can't make up his mind whether it's in a sleepy Biden or crooked Biden. So here's where the problem comes in, and that is I think they've done quite a good job of convincing people that Biden isn't all there. Even a lot of Biden voters think.
Speaker 2: That, and a lot of polls show that, right.
Speaker 3: It shows that that's what people think. So they've been very successful at that, and I could kind of see it. I mean, look, the guy's got a stutter. He's definitely moving more slowly than he did a few years ago. But of course I was covering this guy back in the nineties and he sounded the same way back then. That's just who he is, so it's easy to do it to him. It sort of lends itself to that. But here's where they've got a problem. They've done such a good job of convincing people that he's not able to string two sentences together, as Trump said that while he gives the State of the Union does and they say, wow, this guy is actually sentience. And then what happens. They'll have a debate next month, and it turns out if he cans just sentence together, you know, I don't know if he'll be brilliant. But the bar has been set so low that now we Jesse, I mean, he doesn't even have to step over it to get to clear that bar. So now they've got to come up with something else.
Speaker 1: Yes, So it's interesting when we talk about this because I have this theory which Jesse and I actually fight about, which is that Joe Biden in the nineties, that this Joe Biden is actually better because he knows that he sometimes says too much, and so he's a little more careful, whereas Joe Biden the nineties would just say crazy staff discuss right.
Speaker 3: I think people will say this is like the super managed, scripted Joe Biden. But to me, this is the discipline Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I remember watching confirmation hearings for the Supreme Court and he'd go on for like fifteen minutes and then he'd say, and now I want to get to the regular part of my remarks, you know, right, which ed is blathering. The guy just wouldn't he wouldn't shut up, and you know he was he was always putting his foot in his mouth and stepping in it. And you know he always said ridiculous things that came out that came out poorly. But yeah, so this is I don't know whether he's allowing himself to be managed so much as he's recognizing that less is more. But you know, anything will fit the narrative to say, Okay, that means he must have dementia if he's not giving a long rambling speeches. So what you know? So what do you do now that he was his sentences together and apparently the idea is going to be to say that he's on drugs Trump, you know, said after the saying he's jacked up. You know, he's high as a kite.
Speaker 2: By the way, Trump said that about Hillary too.
Speaker 3: Because he did the same thing to Hillary. There's assessing she was demented. Then what do you do when they're not demented. He's suggesting some kind of a stimulant or something. But I was just delighted that we heard over the weekend from Byron Donald's I'm going.
Speaker 2: To read the first line because I love you. Rep.
Speaker 1: Byron Donald's medical education can consist of a bachelor's degree in finance and marketing from Florida State University.
Speaker 3: Discuss, Right, but he played a doctor on television.
Speaker 2: It's not even news, it's Fox Business.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, although Maria Bartiromo, I think her Sunday Futures maybe is on regular Fox News. I mean, it's all the same to me. Right, So he's on with Maria Bartiromo. So, okay, dude's a grain of salt to start with there. But so he takes it another step further and he says Biden is getting some sort of an injection. He thinks, you know, like people are saying that makes him coherent. So it makes it totally.
Speaker 2: Can I get that inco right?
Speaker 3: An incoherent person takes this injection and is suddenly coherent, How can I get me some Yeah, it sounds amazing exactly, So you know that's what I said. Republicans have discovered this secret elixir that can take somebody who's totally demented and make them just totally at the top of their game. And yeah, I mean, can you imagine what a blockbuster this one?
Speaker 2: I want it. It's a zepic for brains.
Speaker 1: One of the things that they talk about here Byron Donald's this is part of the veep steaks, right Byron Donalds thinks he's going to be Donald Trump's number two, right.
Speaker 3: Right, And Tim Scott has gone along with the same thing, backing up Trump saying yeah, yeah, yeah, of course it sounds like Biden's on drugs. So that's sort of the standard litmus test. You have to get up and lie about Biden being on drugs, and you have.
Speaker 2: To lie about the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 1: You've seen veepstakes before, never this sleazy and Mike Pens might have some thoughts on whether or not this is a good job, but predict the future for me, how do you think this is going to play out?
Speaker 2: No pressure, and if you're wrong, we're going.
Speaker 3: To clip this right. No, no, you're going to clip this and hold me to it. I don't think I've ever seen a public I mean, it's public auditioning, you know, with some Republican lawmaker up in Congress that this is Apprentice twenty twenty four. You know, they're all out there, you know, and of course they're looking ridiculous and it's demeaning, but big surprise. I mean, that is the moment that we live in. What will the outcome be? If that's the question, is asking to divine what's in Donald Trump's So I'm not much well or he doesn't know from it any given moment to moment what it's going to be. So you know, are there are there picks that could reassure people? Well, I suppose, so I don't think any of those sorts of folks are being seriously considered, though, you know, does he try to pick off more Latino voters with Marco Rubio or Black voters with doctor Byron Donalds for example, Yeah, you know, maybe that works to some extent, But you know, I don't think this election is going to be decided by whoever it is he picks, or Kamala Harris or that matter. I suppose the bar needs to be somebody who's marginally competent. But you're saying competent enough to succeed Donald Trump. So you know, if you're voting for Donald Trump in the first place, you're not so worried that the guy who might replace him is competent. So it's competence is not your highest standard.
Speaker 1: And you know Trump has said as much. Trump said, nobody cares about the vice president. You don't have to be a historian here, but talk to me about pretty recent elections and sort of how so different what Donald Trump is doing right now when it comes to vice presidential shopping.
Speaker 3: This is well, you know again, it's the visibility of it. I mean, traditionally it was you know, big mystery, ideally to be revealed at or around the convention. But the conventions don't really matter anymore.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The idea was, you know, it was gonna you know, show some sort of a unification in time for the full general election season. But it's not a full general election season. We've been in a general election season right for a year or more now. So you know, it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. And you know, people say, well, based on what happened with Kennedy in nineteen sixty or even what happened with Barack Obama in twenty twelve, it's irrelevant. We're not in that world anymore. So nothing is going according to those anymore. So I would say that Trump is correct that people are not going to be excited one way or the other about the vice presidential pien. And I mean Democrats are not overwhelmingly excited by either the top or the or the bottet the of the ticket that they're faced with. But that's where we are.
Speaker 1: Some of what we're seeing right now is this kind of malaise, I think, and some of it is. There's also I think I'm certainly people are coming over to me an abject panic.
Speaker 2: About these polls.
Speaker 1: You are a veteran, I mean this in a nice way, a very young veteran. But tell us what you sort of what you think of as like the May before an election, Like what should people be doing in the may before an election?
Speaker 3: I think the sort of the hand ringing or the panicking is sort of a useless emotion so I tell people who are worried about that, We'll go out and do something. Volunteer, give your money, be ready to knock on doors, and do whatever else it takes. You know, what the Biden campaign is doing while everybody else is freting about the latest poll is building a pretty massive campaign infrastructure. So I mean you can fault them for you know, being you know, not doing enough about this message or that message. I don't think that's particularly fair. I don't think they control what the message is going to be. I think they have very limited control over that. But what they do have control over is the infrastructure in investing the time and the money in that. And that's what the Republicans aren't doing. As Trump sits in his trial in New York, and you know, he's decimated the RNC to try to, you know, turn it into a vanity organization. So you know, look, I don't think anything has changed. It's going to you know, it's going to be a very close election. It looks like I'm married to a Democratic pollster, and she does spends a lot of time talking people off the ledge, you know, saying that whatever happens in the election, you know, a lot of the polling doesn't make sense. Biden's not going to lose women, He's not going to lose young voters, not going to lose suspenics. You know, the changes are happening at the margin.
Speaker 1: If these polls are right, it'll be the greatest racial realignment in the voting rights actually right.
Speaker 3: And it's probably not that. There probably are ongoing shifts that have been occurring for years, and that will probably continue to happen. So, you know, I think people oughtn't panic, but people ought to do something about it. I'm really discouraged by the lack of engagement and enthusiasm. Might you know. I've got a column coming out on people just seem to be numb even to all this you know what is blatantly fascist rhetoric. It's almost like, okay, yeah, yeah, we know that, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, the fascism is baked.
Speaker 3: In, right, the fascism is baked in Oh but Biden's old, right, So yeah, it's very discouraging. I expect there will be more attention paid to that, because, look, Trump can't help himself. He or his campaign needed to get a unified Reich into into that video, Belie. They need to suggest that Biden is, you know, coming after them to kill them. He needs to go after the judge's ethnicity and suggesting that because he was born in he can't be fair, he can't help himself. He's going to keep doing that, and I think attention will focus on that. I'm doing my best to focus attention on that. That's what people are going to have in mind when they.
Speaker 1: Decide, Congress you live in the swamp, no offense or anything. Congress is about to go on vacation, because why wouldn't they, But first they have a few more weeks of whatever the farm bell trying to get the leader of Israel here, pandering to whatever they can do to help Donald Trump. The Senate is going to try to pass this very restrictive immigration bill. I'm actually heartened to see Schumer trying to play the right on their game. But just talk to me about what's happening in both those hallowed halls.
Speaker 3: By and large, the must do stuff is done, not easily done the time, but you know, they sort of got there. It looks, you know, for the moment, thanks to large part of the Democrats, Johnson will have his job for now. So you know, we're sort of in we'd be sort of in the early and the silly season of you know, messaging bills, and the House Republicans are just keep coming up with ways to split the Democrats on Israel generally, or just to make them take hard votes. And I think Schumer's now trying to do the same sort of thing, you know, force Republicans to take hard votes in the Senate, and maybe that'll help at the margin, you know, people to cut ads. But I don't think anybody's going to be focusing on this, although the truth is, I could say that about absolutely anything. Now. You know, there's been NonStop coverage of Trump's trial for a month and virtually nobody's paying any attention to it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, I agreed, Well, some people are paying attention. And again, we never know what we'll cut through the noise. We never know if the stormy Daniel's testimony gets through the noise.
Speaker 2: We never know what will break through to the voters.
Speaker 3: We never know, except there's just no evidence, Like nobody's talking about it. You're just not hearing this. You're certainly not not seeing in the polls that Americans aren't paying attention. You're not hearing about it in focus groups or anything else. It certainly registers with some people, but those tend to be people we're paying to start with it and already had their minds made up, you know. I mean that was particularly with the Stormy Daniels trial. That was the Biden campaigns thinking they have not been engaging and making a huge deal as this throwaway lines like I hear your free on Wednesdays. By and large sort of the assumption is that it's not something that's people going to be focusing on.
Speaker 2: Dana Milbank, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure as always. Thanks for calling this veteran in the swamp.
Speaker 1: Spring is here and I bet you are trying to look fashionable, So why not pick up some fashionable all new Fast Politics merchandise. We just opened a news store with all new designs just for you.
Speaker 2: Get t shirts, hoodies.
Speaker 1: Hats, and topa to grab some head to fastpolitics dot com. Representative Jim Hins represents Connecticut's fourth district. Welcome back, too Fast Politics, one of my favorite congress people.
Speaker 4: Jim Hines, Hi, Mollie, thanks for having me back.
Speaker 1: I want to talk to you about beekeeping note just kidding. I want to talk to you about first of all, it strikes me that Speaker my Johnson only has his job today because of the kindness of Democrats.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, as a factual matter, that's absolutely right. I mean, if Marjorie Taylor Green had had her way, we would be into week two or three, whatever it is right now, of ballad after ballad after ballad of the Republican Conference unable to select a speaker. And we know that because we saw that movie once before when they booted Kevin McCarthy.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't out of the kindness.
Speaker 5: Now, look, I have some respect Sneaker Johnson, which was sadly eroded by his performance in front of the New York Court the other day. But it wasn't so much out of the kindness of our hearts as that we really wanted to show the American people that it given an opportunity to sort of dance and make political hay and partisan you know, statements about dysfunction on the Republican side, we chose instead to keep the ship upright and to try to make some progress around you know, things like infrastructure and the Federal Aviation Administration, all the boring stuff of governing. And I think, you know, people need to see that, because there's not a chance in the world, Molly that had the shoe been on the other foot, that the Republicans would have stepped into in the in the service of stopping chaos.
Speaker 2: So let's go further with that.
Speaker 1: Now that Mike Johnson has kept his job for now, he has sort of a lot of stuff he's pushing to vote on that would really serve Donald Trump. I mean, it strikes me that he really does serve at the pleasure of Donald Trump. And no time was this more apparent than last week when he went to Donald Trump's criminal trial.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the hard thing about that, you know, if you have my job, you long ago have acknowledged the very sad fact that the Republican Party is now a cult of personality, almost without exception to Donald J.
Speaker 3: Trump.
Speaker 4: You know, I had accumulated a little bit of.
Speaker 5: Respect for the Speaker because I saw him sort of ac civily and because he said, we're going to do a budget without a shutdown, We're going to pass the Ukraine eate and that's exactly what happened. And you know, he took some risks to get that done. And then I watch him standing in front of the trial of a convicted you know, sexual assaulter. The guy that we all know Donald Trump is. And here's this, you know, self professed man who is governed by the principles of the Bible, not just standing up for Donald Trump but telling lies about Donald Trump. And so you know, again, it's been quite a roller coaster with respect to my own views of Speaker Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it must be.
Speaker 1: And I know he's sort of liked in a way because he has not had a history of lying to Democrats quite the same way that Kevin McCarthy did. But you guys have some real stuff you need to do right now. The farm bell, and that's a big bill. And then also there's other stuff he wants to bring net Yahoo. Talk to us about the farm bell, and then also talk to us about this net Yahoo visit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, look, I mean exactly right on the farm bill. And remember the farm bill.
Speaker 5: People here farm bill and they think it's you know, acres of corn out in Nebraska. The farm bill is also the funding source for all of our food programs for lower income Americans who otherwise would be malnourished. So it's not just farms right, and traditionally that was an easy bill to pass because Krats got all that they wanted in terms of, you know, nutritional security, and the Republicans who represented more rural areas got all the crop insurance and all that stuff. You know, it's yet another casualty of a group of people who are more interested in social media and performative acts than actually governing the country. And so that's why we're gonna have a problem with the farm bill. But yeah, we've got real business to do. And that's again why we save Speaker Johnson, not the kindness of our hearts, but because we've got stuff to do now. Sadly, Speaker Johnson is going to take advantage of his speakership that we preserved to do a lot of messaging nonsense, some of which will be relatively benign or neutral.
Speaker 4: You know Natanyahu, right, you asked about him. Here's a guy who is enormously controversial in his own country. The last time game here, he meddled in our politics by telling the Congress that we shouldn't pass the Iran nuclear bill that the President was pushing. And so at this moment in time, when Nittanyahu needs to be one hundred and fifty percent focused on getting the hostages out of Gaza. He's going to come to a bunch of partisan stuff in DC. I mean, it almost turns my stomach to think about it.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting to me because Nanyahu has some real domestic problems. I mean, you have Israeli's protesting, you have parents of the hostages begging him to take this seriously. You have really humanitarian disaster growing in Gaza. He wants to come to America to help Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: I mean he's so bartisan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wish it were so apparent that Netanyahu is first and foremost about preserving himself in power. He is only Prime Minister in virtue of two really awful people. I'm referring to Smotrech and Ben Gevie, right, you know, one of whom was kicked out of the IDEF. Are not permitted to be in the IDEF because they were so extreme. These guys are, you know, one hundred percent in support of the settlers violating every international law in the West Bank. I mean, these guys are trim and by the way, you know, it's uncomfortable for me to say that, but that's what most Israelis believe as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I had Bernie Sanders on this podcast. You know, I'm Jewish, he's Jewish, and he's Jewish of that age where they, you know, were born during the Holocaust, so they have real firsthand knowledge about what it's like to be murdered for being a Jew, even though he lived in the States his whole life. And so even he and I, who both know the importance of Israel as a state and as a place for us to be safe as Jews, also know that Netan Yahoo is not Israel.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. And you know, it's funny.
Speaker 5: It's a quirk of politics that, you know, having the opinion that the majority of Israelis have.
Speaker 4: Which is Prime Minister. And look, I'm careful about this. I know Chuck Schumer decided to do something different.
Speaker 5: I'm not in the business of telling other democracies how they should select their leaders. But my point was that, you know, having an opinion which is, let's just say, a little clouded about Prime Minister Netdan Yahu, which is, by the way, the opinion that most Israeli shares. You know, here you get raised eyebrows. And I mean, I'll tell you this. As you know, I work a lot in the national security space, and as I look at it, you know, it's hard for me to think of somebody who has more damaged Israel's long term national security than Netan Yahoo. And let's forget about the massive failure that was October seventh. I mean, you know, a failure far exceeding what we failed on on nine to eleven, two thousand and one. Go back to the JCPOA which he worked and continued to work. This is the Iran nuclear deal. Eliminate and guess what, he got his way because of Donald Trump. And now you know what, it wouldn't shock me, Molly if we woke up at some point in the next year to discover that the Iranians were on the verge of testing a nuclear device. And I would tell you that would not have happened were the Iran Nuclear Deal in place. You know, one other point, it has nothing to do with oct well, it has something to do with October sevens.
Speaker 4: But here's a guy who has quietly and now explicitly dedicated himself to the destruction of the two state solution. You know, and I'm pretty humble about the way the decisions that other democracies make. But I've always asked a question, if not a two state solution, then what And there is no answer to that question.
Speaker 5: And so what you do when you take the two state solution off the table, as the Prime Minister has done, you crush the hopes and aspirations of millions of Palestinians.
Speaker 4: And you know what, millions of people with crushed hopes and aspirations is a pretty volatile thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I also think like the you know, the whole idea that you can be a democracy that deprives others is of their like liberty to live and survive is dicey.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about national security.
Speaker 1: This is the thing that I'm obsessed with and irritated with but also a little hopeful for. So this TikTok ban is a big deal, and it really shows that Congress can regulate technology if it wants to. So make it make sense how TikTok gets regulated and Facebook is able to spread lies and create fake news and force to sale TikTok makes sense?
Speaker 2: Get it? But why can't this happen in other technology companies?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, full disclosure, I voted against the forced TikTok. Why I did it for the same and remember, I'm a national security guy. Right in the ads is I was not going to be complicit in the United States of America for the first time telling its citizenry people who we trust to make the decisions.
Speaker 4: Of who to lack.
Speaker 5: I was not going to be party to the government of the United States saying I'm sorry, you can't watch this media. That is completely inconsistent in my view, with the First Amendment, which, by the way, is what the Montana courts ruled when Montana tried to block TikTok. I don't like going that route without some limiting principle.
Speaker 4: What's next?
Speaker 5: Are we going to get mad at the French because they didn't let us overfly whatever in the Iraq War, whatever? And we're not going to let Americans read Lamond That is not who we are. By the way, I have as specific an understanding as anybody about what Chinese capability are.
Speaker 4: To get information. And this leads to your second question, which is, guess what the information that we worry that the Chinese might get from byte Dance they can buy on the open market today, right, You can buy anything, including your current location. Why because and here's here's what I feel really strongly about. Number one, supporting the First Amendments.
Speaker 5: So no, molly, the federal government is not going to be in the business of identifying misinformation, disinformation and information. We just can't get into that. But number two, for God's sakes, we've got to pass a federal privacy law.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Europe has done it with something called GDPR, California has done it with CCPA. The federal government has yet to work out the basic question of who owns what data Until we do that, and we should have done it five years ago. We're putting you know, it's not even the cart before the horse, right, we're just being clown like and all this other stuff.
Speaker 1: Again, the First Amendment. I'm not totally understanding how tech company is in the First Amendment. Right, you can say whatever you want, But should tech companies, I mean, shouldn't they be responsible for the things that happen on their platforms?
Speaker 5: Well, it's interesting to say that, and you're right. Look, it's not directly a First Amendment issue as that pertains to social media. Look, Facebook can choose to censor. What can happen in this country is that the government can't censor, and people get all confused and use this for their political advantage. The government is prohibited by the First Amendment from censoring anything, right, exceptions. On the end, Facebook and Twitter consents or whatever the hell they want, in the same way that at your table or at Columbia University, decisions can be made about what you can't and can't say in private contexts. Right, So it's not so much a First Amendment issue. And look, I think that Facebook and god knows, Twitter or x or whatever or el Zamusk is calling it now, should do a much better job, you know, keeping truly awful stuff off.
Speaker 4: And that's their prerogative.
Speaker 1: But it's their prerogative because Congress doesn't regulate. I mean, if Congress said tomorrow, you're responsible for everything that goes on your platform, just like NBC is responsible for everything that goes on its platform. I mean, imagine a world where NBC says, you know, we're not going to regulate First Amendment. I mean, I'm just saying, like tech companies have found themselves in this situation because Congress has not ever regulated them. So they until somebody sues them into the ground, or until they have consequences. They have much lower standards and than newspapers and cable networks, and I mean they have their ow they can basically do whatever they want, right.
Speaker 5: I think the interesting little crack in the door here is on the issue of liability. So in other words, Facebook puts up some white nationalists, or allows to be put up I should say, some white nationalists. Sort of incitement videos not impossible, probably more likely to happen on Twitter, by the way, and somebody gets radicalized and goes out and kills a bunch of people in the name of white nationalism. I like the idea that Twitter can be held liable for that. Now, by the way, that's that's a little bit inconsistent with current law undersection blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: But I think.
Speaker 4: There is really some there's an opening to the door with respect to liability for bad outcomes. Where are you start a little nervous?
Speaker 5: So what about you know, on Facebook, you don't want the government coming in and saying, you know what, you can't put up Paul Gosar's stuff. So our member of Congress, ex right winger, you know, I'm sure has attended some rallies that I would not even consider attending where is the line drawn? And if the government is doing it, the government must observe the tenets of the First Amendment.
Speaker 4: So again, I think you come back to this liability thing.
Speaker 5: If you put up some garbage that motivates somebody to go out and hurt some folks, then you ought to be held liable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it just is strange to me that there's a completely different set of I mean, they're clearly publishers, right, I mean, these websites are publishing things, but there's literally no accountability. And I think so much about like the oil companies, right, won't someone think of Exxon Oil companies and there are a lot of other companies like this have gotten huge tax incentives.
Speaker 2: They've you know, they've been able to.
Speaker 1: Harlay the federal government into dollars, whereas local news places where they really are doing a public good, they don't reap those same rewards. And curious as to sort of why that happens. I'm sorry to be a socialist here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's not socialist. Look, the difference between oil and information is that oil is not mentioned in the First Amendment, and we as a country do take the concept of free expression, really seriously, and it's codified in our First Amendment in a way that oil is not.
Speaker 1: Right, but oil gets more support from the federal government than the First Amendment.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I'm not going to justify that.
Speaker 5: I don't think oil should get a dime of support from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I don't either, nor should call.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I'm just so struck by, like the incredible ability that lobbyists have to still push around the federal government in ways that because there's so little local news. I know, stuff just from watching c SPAN that never makes it to newspapers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, and you know you highlighted local news absolutely critical. I mean, everybody who studies this stuff and the slow erosion or this rapid erosion of our democracy identifies local news is one of the real bulwarks against the insanity. And by the way, Molly, this this opens up another door that people don't always want to hear. You know, if you lean left, you sort of think, what's the government going to do about this? I don't ever in a town hall meeting miss the opportunity to tell whatever one hundred and fifty people showed up that look, we're going to work through these issues. Eventually we'll have a federal privacy law, you know, Eventually we'll be smarter about regulating garbage on the social media platforms.
Speaker 4: It will be hard to the First Amendment. But son of a gun, you're a citizen of the United States of America. You are the most fortunate political actor through human history. You live at the wealthiest, most powerful country in the world, and you make the decisions, and with that comes a great deal of responsibility. So, my friend, if you're watching Fox News six hours a day and at the end of those six hours, your hair is on fire, and you make democrats for traders, you know, or if you're quite frankly watching something way out there on the left and at the end of that you are out of your mind literally with anger and rage. You are being manipulated.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: The truth of the matter is molly that most of the things that we argue about here in DC, other than by the way, you know, whether Donald Trump is going to take us into an autocracy, our tax rates, our subsidies. You know, these arguments happen between the sixty and the forty yard lines. You know, nobody should hate anybody over agricultural policy. Or tax policy, or what percentage of our you know, GDP we spend on foreign policy. So my point is that American citizens need to step up and start being critical thinkers and start seeing themselves as stewards.
Speaker 4: Of our democracy. Because if all you're doing is thinking about politics as a mode of self entertainment, dare I say, we'll lose our democracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately they're not even doing that anymore because there's like a Great News blackout. If Mike Johnson starts to really dog walk Democrats, which he might try to, will you guys do a.
Speaker 2: Motion to vacate?
Speaker 1: Probably not, because you guys have the power to remove him from his job anytime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I suppose the way that would play.
Speaker 5: I remember we're in the minority, so we probably couldn't you know, if we tried to do a motion of VAK Weirdly, every single Republican would vote against it. But you know, no, I guess in theory, you know, we could find Marjorie Taylor Green on the floor and say, hey, we saved this guy last time, but we're not going to do it again.
Speaker 4: I suppose. So, you know, again, I'm one of these.
Speaker 5: People that really cares about about you know, functionality and progress, right, So I need to contemplate that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, again, I'm still smarting. As I told you earlier.
Speaker 5: I don't mind Speaker Johnson pushing right wing stuff, That's what happens in this building. But I just despise the fact that a guy that I thought had some integrity would stand up in front of a New York courthouse and cast out on the twenty election and propagate falsehoods that he knows are falsehoods people making right leaning policy proposals. Here is what Washington is about. Lying in the service of becoming a more senior acolyte in the Donald Trump universe is another way in which we lose our demandocracy.
Speaker 2: Congressman Hans, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Molly, A pleasure always.
Speaker 1: John Gans is the author of When the Clock Broke, Conman Conspiracists, and How America Cracked Up in the early nineteen nineties. Welcome to Fast Politics. Welcome back, John Gants.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Talk to us about the book When the Clock Broke.
Speaker 4: Well, this is my book. It's coming out June eighteenth. That's called When the Clock Broke, Conman Conspiracists and How America cracked up in the early nineteen nineties, and basically, like I think a lot of political books in the past few years, this is an effort to understand the election of Donald Trump and the country at large, but instead of being about him, it goes back quite a bit in time. The inspiration for the book was a few things. Back in twenty seventeen, Rick Pearlstein, the author of Nixon Land and Reaganland. He wrote an article for The New York Times magazine trying to buy his picture of what the conservative movement had been and say that, you know, the cranks and the and the crackpots that he thought had been had been marginalized, were actually much more important than he had thought. So we called for kind of revision of the history of American conservatism.
Speaker 3: So that was one inspiration for the book.
Speaker 4: And then around the same time, I had found this essay called right Wing Populism by a libertarian economist named Murray Rothbart, which was basically kind of a sketch.
Speaker 3: It was from nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a sketch of trumpsm Before Trump became a politician, obviously, he was part of the media world and part of you know, culture back then. So I was very excited by that, and I thought I had kind of found the Rosetta stone to all this sort of stuff. I tried very hard to bring this to people's attention. I didn't know Jamel Bowie, who's you know, now my good friend and podcast partner. I didn't know Rick Pearlstein, who's now a friend and kind of my mentor at the time. And I was writing emails to people trying to get them think it's interesting because Iconic kind of found the secret. Well, no one paid attention. Turned out to be a good thing because I had to start writing by myself. I started writing a couple of articles about this for a magazine called The Baffler, and then over the years that turned into the book. And this book's about the early nineteen nineties. Is mostly about the election of nineteen ninety two and a little bit at the end of the nineteen ninety one and what happened in that time period was David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan and Neo Nazi, ran for governor of Louisiana and did quite well with white voters.
Speaker 3: He won the majority of white voters.
Speaker 4: And Pat Buchannan tried to primary George H. W.
Speaker 3: Bush.
Speaker 4: He did not do that successfully, but he wounded Bush's candidacy and kind of demonstrated the existence of this right wing populist protest vote within the GOP coalition. So that's the beginning of the book. Starts with them and the kind of writers and intellectuals that surrounded them. So this book is, you know, there's a lot of different metaphors you could use. It's a prehistory of trump as a where it's the Rosetta stone of trump Ism is one way of looking at it. And this was a time when a lot of the issues that are you know, facing the country in terms of problems with the economics, problems and culture first started to assert themselves after the Cold War had ended. That's the quickest way I can describe the book.
Speaker 1: So what are the lessons of this early history?
Speaker 2: Because there's another book.
Speaker 1: I read about the sort of the rights obsession with authoritarianism.
Speaker 2: I mean, what can we learn from this history?
Speaker 4: That is very much depending on the reader. I hesitate to say in advance.
Speaker 2: What you learned?
Speaker 4: What I learned? Well, I would say that the authoritarianism of the GOP has much longer history than we might have known before. It is something that they never properly coped with. The myth of the GOP as having, you know, and the Conservative movement is having kind of pushed out.
Speaker 3: Its cranks is false.
Speaker 4: I learned that, you know, this current in American politics which sort of reappeared and then was ignored, has deeper roots than was imagined. I learned that there's an enormous amount of discontent in American life beneath the surface or not sow beneath the surface, and the right is very good at interpreting it and giving it political shape.
Speaker 1: Can we do another minute on that, because I think that's really important, the Right being able to sort of take their supporters or the people who are vulnerable to them and.
Speaker 2: Exploiting their unhappiness.
Speaker 1: And so that's like Democrats seem not completely unable, in fact, to their detriment to do.
Speaker 2: How do you think Republicans are able to do this?
Speaker 4: Well, it's a complicated question. I think Republicans are more at this time, at least the writers and the more intellectual figures that I talk about this book. We're fourth right. You know, the country was heading in an uncertain and even bad you know, there was a recession at this time. There was a lot of concern about are we talking about We're talking about nineteen ninety through nineteen ninety two pretty much. So there was a lot of uncertainty about what the country meant after the Cold War without an external enemy. You know, there was a lot of concern about the changing demographics in America. So what it meant to be American was something that wasn't very clear to people. And the Republicans, well not the Republicans, but this faction within the Republican Party in the conservative movement, you know, had an answer to it, which was, we know you're scared, we know you're angry. Your right to be scared and angry, and here's who you should be scared and angry at liberals, minorities.
Speaker 2: So they gave them an enemy.
Speaker 3: That essentially, they gave them an enemy.
Speaker 4: They said, the reason why you feel dispossessed, the reason why you feel like you're losing your country, is because these people are taking it from you. That these people could have. You know, a lot of different balances could be this group of that group, or just a vague notion of an enemy. But yes, they shaped the politics. You know, the Cold War ended. We always had an external enemy from World War Two to through the Cold War, and they began to shape the politics around domestic enmity, right, so the Cold War became domestic. It was about defeating the left, the liberals, the commists, so to speak, at home, who were esconced in the media, in academia and government. But there was another dimension to it, which is that they latched onto a real sense that the economy and the wake of Reagan was really not no longer geared in the interest of middle class people, and it was very difficult to make a living on a single income. Lots of jobs at disappeared, manufacturing jobs that disappeared, but then you know, a lot of white collar jobs were beginning to leave the country or does not exist anymore. So they observed this uncertain world that came up with a very clear picture of it and a clear enemy, and this message began to resonate. The response of the political establishment was not particularly visionary or energetic. It kind of papered over this moment that revealed a deep discontent in American life with temporary fixes and compromises, but not a broad vision of where the country should go a new deal, a new new deal or something like that. So they kind of offered a more clear image, even though it was a very negative one. It was a world that people could begin to see themselves and too. And you also have to remember this is the dawning of the age of cable TV and the dawning of the age of the radio talk show. Well not the dawning of it, but the moment where it became really dominant. Rush Limbo becomes enormously popular, and he's speaking, he says it, you know, for a lot of people who you know, economically they might be doing okay, but they feel very alienated by the culture and they feel very angry. And he's the voice of that. And on cable you know, you start to see a lot of people people Cable news is driven by, you know, incentives of entertainment and commerce. You start to see a lot of people put on TV for their entertainment value because they're outrageous and they are good TV, but maybe not it's not responsible journalism to put them front and center all the time.
Speaker 2: One of the things I was told was that one of the.
Speaker 1: Biggest get out the vote makers on the Republican side was in fact, Rush Limbaugh.
Speaker 4: Oh, Rush Limbaugh was one of the most important figures in the Republican Party from you this year until his death, to the point at which probably maybe one of the most powerful people on the right where you know, you could not criticize Rush Limbo. You criticize Rush Limbo at your own peril. If you look back over the last thirty years of people on the right who dared to criticize Rush Limbo for his vulgarity or his aggression, you will find that very controlly. Thereafter they usually apologize to him. And that's because of the enormous power that he had and the enormous connection with the grassroots constituency that lots of writers, editorial writers you know, or members of the party didn't necessarily have. So he was sort of the voice of Republicanism, which is something pat By Cannon said during this primary campaign. He said, if I'm elected, I'll make Russi Lombo my communications director.
Speaker 1: When you sort of are looking at this story of how we got to Trump, what do you think the kind of tent poles were. This is this intentionally very big question, but like think about like one of the things I would say is that there's a direct line from Newt Gingrich to Donald Trump. What other things are there that are like that? Where you when you're working in this book, you were like, oh.
Speaker 4: Shit, oh absolutely well. I think Ross Perrot is another figure in the book which is a kind of billionaire OUTSI populist. Ross Perrot was not as conservative ideologically. He was a kind of mix of unclear positions, but basically kind of had a vague message about cleaning up the government, didn't really give that much of a shit about the constitutional system or if he broke it or didn't or bald or didn't. Have a kind of vague notion of showing patriotism or nationalism that was tied into a lot of myth making about America, Norman Rockwell type imagery. And you know, he ran a campaign that was enormously popular in this time with this message and you know, having this rich guy come out of nowhere saying I can fix the country with you know, pretty much a right wing or reactionary balance the whole thing. I don't think anybody could look at that and not see, you know, foreshadowing of Donald Trump. You know, Another thing that happened in this ero, and this is one of my favorite parts of the book, is John Gotti becomes kind of a folk hero in New York. And John Gotti becomes a folk hero in New York because a lot of people aren't nostalgic for what John Gotti represents, right.
Speaker 1: Uses what murdering people or the criminality.
Speaker 4: Of course, he's a murder and a criminal, but for some reason, he represented the good old days to a lot of people, and an old way of being a proper man, of providing for one's family. And the mob, you know, seemed compared to the chaos that prevailed in the city and in the country, there was something familiar and desiral about it, even if they were, you know, just criminals when it came down to it. So John Gotti becomes a folk hero. Rudy Giuliani obviously we all think of him, as you know, in this time period, as mister Klean going after the mob. But Rudy Giuliani. In nineteen ninety two, leeds Or is part of a kind of proto January sixth where the New York Police Department besieges City Hall in a riot almost you know, storms it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Now, I grew up in the city, so I know how much he sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, you remember this thing. So that's another another tenpole as you as you would say, which is, you know, Juliani was also playing into these white backlash politics in his own way, and he was late occupying the same world as John Gotti on the tabloids every day, and you know, John Gotti's in the New York Post and they asked their Post readers, who do you believe the witnesses against John Gotti or John Gotty? And most, you know, more than half of New York Post readers say we believe John Gotti, you know. And the people hang up yellow ribbons for John Gotti like they did for the troops and the Gulf. And you know, Trump comes out of New York in this era where the eighties and this era, and it's really hard not to think about him coming out of that context as well. And then the other thing that happens around this time. Two signal events for the far right in this country are Ruby Ridge and Waco, where you have the extreme right more in Ruby Ridge and Waco. It's slightly more of a complicated question, but having these events of martyrdom where their story about an oppressive federal government coming after white Christian Americans begins to look plausible to a lot more people. So you have the success, in a way, or the breakthrough into mainstream culture of this kind of extreme right view of what the federal government is up to.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I always say, when you kind of put all of these images on top of each other, you got the mobster, you got Rudy whipping up the cops. You got Ross Perrot, you got the far right, you know, Ruby Ridge, Waco stuff, and you got Buchanan and David Duke, who, by the way, was very enthusiastic about Donald Trump when he came along in twenty fifteen sixteen. You kind of get that perfect image of Trump, right. You got everything there. You've got the billionaire part of it, the far right, neo nazi part of it, You've got the tabloid entertainment part of it. Trump is a little bit of a mobster. So this is like Trump as a political I mean, obviously we know he's been around for a while, but as a political figure, he's sort of a crystallization of all these elements that were still scattered and he kind of embodies all of them. So that's what fascinating about it. I could just see little reflections and glimpses of the Trump movement and these various things that were going on back then, and it took almost thirty years for it all to coalesce in a single figure. But it's interesting to see it scattered and kind of gathering itself in this time.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's such an interesting way to look at the party. So, I mean it seems when you look at this very recent history, you have extremism beedback by normal, extremism be back by normal, always sort of bubbling under the surface.
Speaker 2: I mean, does that seem like a fairis Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that we have to rethink a little bit what we understand by extreme and normal, and we also have to pay. I think what the lesson here is is to be good citizens. We really actually do have to pay. I mean, the fringe is now the mainstream, so it's.
Speaker 2: Right in the GOP. But it is like interesting to me.
Speaker 1: I always whenever I interview anyone, I was pushed back when they say, well, they're like extremes on both sides and.
Speaker 4: D because I'm like, well, the extremes really took over on the on the right.
Speaker 2: And they really didn't on the left.
Speaker 1: And of anything, the center has been really good at smashing down the left, you know, in a concerted effort, whenever they've showed any kind of like real interest in criminal justice reform. I mean, there's just been such a crushing effect from the center, and for some reason, the center is unable to do that with the far right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I wonder why that is.
Speaker 4: That's a complicate why you see that in this period too, because obviously Clinton wins this election with a quite centrist message. I think it's because ultimately that stuff on the right is both not taking quite as seriously. You know, there's the problem is is that we're not very good. Whenever there's anything going on in politics, you have to kind of weigh it as a possibility that might grow. So when you see things that are very fringe, you know, the natural reaction is to say, well, that's just Kooch's out there, right. Those people are working very hard to get the message out there, and you know, they might be nothing right now, but you don't know ten twenty thirty years. So I would say my message in this book is pay very close attention to the margins. You know, that is where you see the future. It's sort of laid out, you know, when you want to find out what's coming down the pike, you can see it and what not, you know, without fail. But if you begin to learn how to read politics, you can kind of see, oh, well, this is something with a growing constituency, and this is something that may be very small or disorganized at the moment, but is speaking to more and more people who feel dissatisfied with the current way of doing things. So I think that there is too much focus. I've been criticized for focusing too much on weirdos and exotic things, and I just understand what people are saying because they're like, wow, the people with a lot of power are the normal people, and they do the harmful things. I get that's true. But these people in the margins one day may become the mainstream, and they're also always pushing the mainstream in their own direction. So I would say, what I enjoy doing and I think is interesting, and I hope the book does is to try to help people look at the whole political field and see even among the things that don't appear important or pear silly or peer weird. I mean, Trump is the app So listen to this. This guy has been hanging around politics for twenty years, seeming like a side show, launching these ridiculous campaigns that go nowhere. He's a joke, and suddenly he's not a joke anymore. So that's my message and my approach to reading politics is take the margins seriously. They represent the future. And you know, so when you're reading the paper or you're understanding the news and you see some little thing that seems marginal or minor at that time, have a little imagination of what might might happen. Is basically I hope people will take out of this book.
Speaker 2: Thank you, John Ganz, Thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much, Molly.
Speaker 4: This has been great.
Speaker 2: No moment second, Jesse Cannon.
Speaker 3: Molly, John Fast.
Speaker 4: I see there's a lot of fuckery down in the Louisiana State House around birth control.
Speaker 3: What are you seeing here?
Speaker 1: Basically, Louisiana decided that they were going to make the abortion pill metha pristone, which is super safe and used for miscarriage treatment and used for all sorts of other uterine problems.
Speaker 2: They were going to make it a controlled substance.
Speaker 1: So now it was actually an anti ulcer drug when it first started, so has multiple uses besides abortion. Now you will be able to prescribe methapristone, this is so stupid for non abortion reasons. That's still legal, but the drug will become a controlled substance. Doctors will have to have a special Drug Enforcement Administration license to prescribe these drugs in the state, will be able to track when they're prescribed, to whom and what pharmacy these prescriptions are filled. You see where this is going, right, They are taking away your right two abortion pills, and that, my friend, is our moment of fuckr it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to hear the best minds in politics makes sense of all this chaos. If you enjoyed what you've heard, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. And again, thanks for listening.