Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal. I'm that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for day Ado State? Is that woo whoom? And Dan and Tye welcome back to the Solid Verbal, Boys and girls, my name is ty Hildebrand joining me as always over there in New York City. My man, the one and only Dan Rubinstein. Sir, how are you Ty? When was the last time you did drugs?
Speaker 2: I ask because after this show, people are going to want to test you, because you are going to perform at such a high level.
Speaker 1: They're going to say, what is up with Ty hildenbr I feel shot out of a cannon tonight? Dan? Is that true? I do. We've got a lot to get through.
Speaker 2: Before we get through it, Can I turn off the heater that my wife left?
Speaker 1: M all right? You comfortable? We need to have your rhythm because we've got a lot to get through. Tonight it was National Signing Day. Yes, today we will certainly make reference to what transpired on signing Day. This is not a signing day show, though, typically what we find and we've been doing the show for god, I lost count how many years. Well, what we do is we bring in Brandon or somebody and we talk about the news of the day, and inevitably there's always a handful of kids who delay their commitment, and the news is never really current because there is more of the story left to tell. We're going to put off that show a week or two, talk about it in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Let's do it next week. We'll do it next week. We will take that well, that long view. We'll focus on National Signing Day. We will give you a thirty thousand foot view. We'll bring in a knowledgeable guest to focus just primarily on that. But we've also got some other news that we want to talk about.
Speaker 1: And we've got just a bunch of questions that have been building up, things that you and I I think need to work out between each other. Like, let's just make this an organic show. We can answer questions, talk about college football, a casual dress Wednesday here on the verbal. Yeah, we have a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: We've got a fun little news, personal news, personal news story that we can touch on probably tail end of the show.
Speaker 1: And then just.
Speaker 2: Just have fun with each other. Tie, because that's what this show is all about it's just relationships. Yeah, it's I've I've been listening to a lot of Fat Joe for reasons I'll explain later perhaps, but it's it's.
Speaker 1: About us, It's about Trust's what's love. That's what it is.
Speaker 2: So before we get there, quickly, some news news including signing down.
Speaker 1: We got it. We got to play in the sound. If it's news, Dan, I don't know how breaking it is, but it's bricking news. Uh.
Speaker 2: USC has an offensive coordinator. Yeah, that's something we go Uh this because we're recording once a week.
Speaker 1: This is old news. This is old news. This is old news.
Speaker 2: Graham Harrell, who has been at North Texas helping to run that offense, has come in the sty of Cliff Kingsbury, who moved on to the Arizona Cardinals. So USC at least has an offensive coordinator. We really don't know the full shape of what USC is going to look like next year, both player wise, coaching wise, whatever. Lot can always change all my program.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question please? I'm guessing you saw the news about the big acquisition in the podcasting arena Spotify and Gimblet and Anchor. Yeah, I think that's local to me. Gimblet's in Brooklyn, right, for sure, a lot of podcast nerdery going on. You can read about it. But Spotify made a giant acquisition to the tune of two hundred and some million dollars to become more prominently part of the whole podcast thing. We'll do it for a buck fifty one hundred and fifty mil. What is the price tag? What is a dollar amount we could fetch if we went around and pitched an oral history of the Cliff Kingsbury era at USC.
Speaker 2: Oh, like we did what like Roger Bennett did with the US national team. It's like that limited run special type thing.
Speaker 1: That's right, It'll be a one episode mini series on Cliff Kingsbury's time at USC. How many hundreds of dollars could we get for that?
Speaker 2: We could get as many dollars as he spent days in that job. I say, we could get a premium lunch. We could afford a premium lunch between us Dan's favorite taco join in La. Okay, Yes, what else do we got?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So Pap Hamilton is out at Michigan, which sort of seemed like writing was on the wall. This is all the coaching stuff after Josh Gattis was hired. Excuse me, Ben McDaniels was promoted I think to quarterbacks coach. That's Josh McDaniel's brother, who was an analyst at Michigan, And so there's a little movement on the offensive coordinator front. And I think signing Day obviously has taken the biggest hold in terms of attention in the college football world. And to nobody's surprise, it's Alabama one, Georgia two, Texas three, Texas A and m four, which is a bit of a surprise. Metem Fisher nice, very very good recruiter, and Oklahoma with I don't know if this is their best class ever, it seems like it could be, but they're at number five, I believe at the time of this recording. Oregon had a very strong class, Washington finished strong, Tennessee finished strong, Georgia had a big flip, Florida finished very strong. We mentioned Michigan. They finished for the first time, I would presume in some time. With Urban Meyer at Ohio State for as long as he was, they finished with the top class in the Big Ten, with Penn State and then Ohio State following them.
Speaker 1: Also notable.
Speaker 2: Usc generally top five ish, theyre at number seventeen at the time we're doing this. Nebraska number nineteen.
Speaker 1: Heard it up that heat on Clay Helton Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's just so much uncertainty, and we'll get to more usc stuff later, but Nebraska number nineteen, I think is impressive all things considered. Arkansas, who had a woeful year at twenty two, because you know, positions, jobs are up for grabs when you don't win a game in conference, it's all on the table. It's all on the table. Florida State a pretty good class, a great corner dB class, whatever, but zero high school quarterbacks for the second consecutive year, leaving how many total scholarship quarterbacks eligible at this time? He got like twenty nineteen. James Blackman. Yeah, okay, that would be the big one because DeAndre friend DeAndre Franzois was dismissed this past week. So Florida State in a bit of a jam there going on.
Speaker 1: Weldcat in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: A lot of cam Akers, folks, the wild cam so a lot of story. I mean, Tennessee finished very strongly. A guy from California linebacker with the rare double apostrophe it's Henry to'to O I think is his name.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have fun with that one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's going to Tennessee. And they signed a very large man, a very good offensive line class for Tennessee. So Jeremy pruittt doing at least big things on the recruiting trail there. And I saw Virginia signed a German quarterback.
Speaker 1: Did you see that? Miami signed a twenty four year old tatted up punter from Australia. Let's do this. I'm so I'm ready for that. Oregon State signed a dude with a giant mullet, like a giant redheaded mullet. Guy Washington finished. Yeah, giant redhead mall. Guy Washington finished, very very strong and impressive fashion. Texas held onto a couple of big dudes. So nothing crazy as it relates to the classes that we've seen these past few years, but it sort of we're spreading the signing day excitement out. It's spread kind of thin with the early signing period in mid to late December and then the first it's the first Wednesday in February, so we're going to touch on all of it. We mentioned the early stuff when it happened, But we'll touch on all of it next week, presumably, unless you know he's too good for us. Brandon Huffman from now twenty four to seven Sports. Yeah, and you know the other component of recruiting. Obviously, you've got the early signing period, we've got the normal signing period, I'll call it, and we're all used to, yes, But there's this transfer portal business that sort of fills in the gaps that goes on year round. But it seems that's gained more prominence now as well. We could talk more about that. I saw we got some questions coming in, Yeah, regarding the transfer portal and what it means to the state of college football. I feel like we've addressed that in the past, but these are a little bit more specific. So we can talk about all that and more anything else in the way of news, Dan, because we've got a bunch of questions here that I know you and I both want to address. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, Greg Ciano is gonna be the defensive coordinator for the Patriots. Obviously, Ryan Day hires Greg Madison to be the defense of the new defensive coordinator for Ohio State, and that left greg Ciano looking for a job, and he has his you know, very clear connections to pro football, so that sort of makes sense. I think what the Patriots lost their defensive coordinator to the Dolph.
Speaker 1: Dolph Uh, yeah, he was a linebacker coach, baby, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was a co dct of place. I barely know college football at alone. The stuff in the NFL I did do, by the way, I don't know if you have it at at the ready. I watched I sort of watched the Super Bowl. Well what a drive chart?
Speaker 1: Tie? Oh no, what a drive chart? I posted it on the Twitter feed. I recorded special go out to the Twitter. Yeah, and look at the drive chart. That would have been an epic drive chart on this show. Not just one team, really the entire game. If you went into that game looking for a pyrotechnic offensive display, what you got was really low rung SEC defensive football. Yeah it was. I mean not even Alabama LSU back in the day. This was just bad defensive minded football is what it amounted to.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna sit here and say I don't enjoy all things Wade Phillips. I don't know if you saw his cowboy hat. I can appreciate all things. Son of bum.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna stand taller than that, but it was a rough watch at times. I'm not an NFL guy at all.
Speaker 2: I probably watched two or three NFL games this year, so that was one of them and didn't really do much for me. So the other thing, By the way, before we get way too far down an NFL path, there are plenty of NFL podcasts for you listener.
Speaker 1: Listen to the Bill Barnwells Show. Good. Okay, we should mention did you see the brill stuff? Yeah? Yeah, So so Our Brills supposedly had a conversation with Jay Hobson, the Southern misshead coach, about becoming their next offensive coordinator. And he had that conversation without the school's administration knowing. And if you're going to have an Our Brills conversation, you're you live in the corporate world somewhat ty. What what would be the loop them in? Yeah? Can we can? We can we set up a conference call here? Loop me in? Yeah? Can we circle back?
Speaker 2: Should we circle back? We touch base? Can we can we have a chat? Quick buzz? There was none of that, and that is not the way to go about business. When hiring or potentially hiring somebody like our brills the school, we shoot a statement say he is not in consideration. We are not going to be in the business of our brills after everything that happened at Baylor and all of his involvement with what happened at Baylor and Jay Hobson.
Speaker 1: The I saw you defended it then right.
Speaker 2: He then went out and said listens and like a not great person and he said, you know we're we're here for second chances and he's a man of the Bible, and.
Speaker 1: Okay, nope, uh huh, can't do it. Well, that's what happened. We put out a call across all the channels Twitter, Facebook. Did we put on Instagram? I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think we put on Instagram. Not that we got questions on the Gram. We didn't do the gram. Did we get questions on the Gram?
Speaker 1: We had some that were sent into us as wow, yeah, I didn't even check. People are. People are trying all methods to get through to us to have their questions answered. Some good ones out on the Reddit that we're going to address. Some that came in through plain old fashioned email. Soliverble at Gmail. We try to do these shows about once a week during the off season. Now that we're in February, we're squarely in the off season. We've had a chance to decompress a bit from the college football regular season. We are still, of course, going through our conference autopsy rulings, got two of those out already. There will be more yet to come in addition to all the other cool stuff that we've got planned this offseason. It's going to be a big off season for the Solid verbel But we feel like we can't go forward and talk more about specific college football topics without doing a bit of a retrospective and first answering questions from the verballerhood at large. So Dan, if we could, You've got mail, You've got mail on the Solid verbal as often as we can, we'd like to pay homage. Where do we want to start here? Dan? You know what, Let's start big picture.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed this question, not because I think about it all too often, but because I think it's an interesting talking point with where we are as a sport, or at least covering a sport or fans of the sport. This comes to us, I assume from Reddit because it comes to us from Reddit lads seven eight nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's probably a Reddit user. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Looking at the correlation between national championships, eleven win seasons, and recruiting class rankings, do you guys think that there will ever be a movement to instill parody in college football? I personally think the future is pretty bleak for college football, as the incredible amount of money being made is going to force a terra forming world big word formation of land or Earth of sorts, of the current system into something even more corporate that will allow the elite high school players to be more easily funneled into blue blood programs. I imagine that at some point that deals with the visual services TV and streaming will become so lucrative that it will lead to a super conference or super conference is made of the most revenue rich program.
Speaker 1: Would you say, Pangaea going to throw out ten cent words a Pangaea? Sure? I would love college football. So here's his point, is on the money for sure?
Speaker 2: Right, It's basically asking, are we going to reach a point where it is just the halves and it's going to become an even more binary sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the thing. Are we ever going to see parody within the current format of college football. The answer is most likely no. Could we see parody within some super conference if we keep going the way we're going, that could probably be worked out to some degree. I think that's the more likely scenario at this point. It doesn't happen two years from now, may not even even happen ten years from now. But I think to his point, that's where we're headed. We're headed down a path where we form a super conference twenty five years in the future, and it is truly haves and have nots, yes and no.
Speaker 2: So there is part of me looks at college football and says, this is not a sport that is meant to have equality. And very few sports are in the way that they're set up, and with there's a ton of free agent and player agency in the NBA. You would know about the Premier League or the EPL, whatever it is better than I. But it appears that, especially overseasoned soccer, that the haves are separated.
Speaker 1: There is no parody. There is no parody whatsoever.
Speaker 2: So there's no parody there. There's a luxury tax in baseball. I couldn't even begin to speak to how hockey is ruled, but I know that there's a.
Speaker 1: Salary cap there. Correct, Yes, there's a salary cap.
Speaker 2: So what I would say as it relates to college football is parody exists in that all of the biggest schools have a similar amount of money to throw around. So hypothetically, we could have a super conference and there are twenty two teams and it's USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A and M Alabama, LSU, et cetera, et cetera. Because they're all playing on relatively even playing fields in how much they spend, what their facilities look like, what they've been able to grow their brands into. So there is that element what he's mentioning that terraforming. But I imagine because of how college football is structured, and because it's recruiting, and because there are different TV deals in different conferences and different amounts of talent in different parts of the country, this was never meant to be a sports that was going to be evened out, And so I think it's an accept what we have and move forward and find the pockets that you enjoy rather than the will tce you ever get to the point where they can compete for national championships year outs because they have a great defensive mind in Gary Patterson. I don't think that's the reality that we need to be looking for.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the counterpoint. Yeah, the one major professional sport that we know and some of us love, the NFL, professional football, has gone to extreme lengths to promote parody. You could finish with three wins one year and the next year go to the playoffs, go to the super Bowl, finish thirteen to three. That is not an uncommon occurrence in the NFL. It's something that happens, you know, more often than you might think. What is the argument against the NFL that we hear, at least on our front, That it's corporate, that it's soulless, that it does not have nearly the same level of passion that we see in the college game. So I could certainly imagine if like, let's say you're I don't know, a Purdue fan, so you're a UCF fan, that promise of parody might be something rather attractive to you. But what does it do to the sport? Does it make things more interesting in the long run? I don't know. I don't know the answer to that. I know what it's done in the NFL, and it hasn't worked to promote passion.
Speaker 2: We're having this conversation because of one man, right, are we having this conversation because of Nick Saban? Probably because everybody else that has had somewhat sustained success, and even Nick Saban to a certain degree has done so because of a vacuum of some kind. So not that that's the reason for the success, but it's a contributing factor. Like Clemson is soaring right now, and there's a Florida State vacuum and a Miami vacuum.
Speaker 1: Right on. One of the other questions that we got in here somewhere, and I don't know if it's on the sheet, but somebody asked the question, our dynasty is good for college football? Right? You could extend that out, or dynasty is good for Well, hasn't college football always been dynastic? For sure? For sure? So my answer to that is, yeah, it's good. It's good because you've always got someone to root against, when.
Speaker 2: You always got something to root against, and then when that giant redwood of a dynasty is chopped down, whether it's Quiz Rogers running fly sweeps or it's you know, Swag Kelly throwing for a bajillion yards against Alabama or Texas losing to Kansas State. Those are the games that we remember. Those are you know, Ohio State losing to Purdue or Michigan losing to Iowa, whatever. Those are what we live for, those games, those weeks, those scenarios, and so you have to have that. I mean, if you don't like it, you have to have that bad guy. If you do like it, you appreciate the excellence. You appreciate talent all over the field, and there's sort of something for everybody. We are of the mind I'll speak for myself, but I think you're somewhere around here as well that the point of college football is not national championships. It's the climb, it's not the peak. Right, So you're going Miley Cyrus. I'm always going to go Miley Cyrus. But Saban doesn't. If Nick Saban doesn't exist in the way that he does, if he's not the winning cyborg that is unparalleled.
Speaker 1: Historically.
Speaker 2: Let's say Alabama has is a really good but not crazy excellent, unmatched coach. They're going to lose one year to LSU in a way that they wouldn't with Nick Saban there, They're gonna lose more often to Auburn, you know, throwing a Mississippi State loss here at the peak of Dan Mullen. You know, if Florida hires better, perhaps they lose in an SEC championship to a better Florida coach than Jim mckayin, et cetera, et cetera. This conversation has shifted to an unrealistic place because Nick Saban is an unrealistically excellent coach.
Speaker 1: Nick Saban is a big part of the reason for the conversation. I would I would disagree somewhat on the point of college football and that that feeds back into previous conversations we've had about the playoff system and what that's for. And we can say that for another day in the point of college football? Is Floyd of Rosedale? Sure? Why not?
Speaker 2: That's all in whit? I mean, that's that's to me. It really is, Well, Iowa Minnesota.
Speaker 1: About this at a later point in time. We could burn a whole show in this literally sure, Okay, an interesting topic, right, and sobagmail dot com, where do you want to go next?
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to but BA bah bah Bah. I like this question a lot because he has been a long, long time verballer, and we make fun of the program that he likes a lot because both of our schools play them pretty often. One fell Swoop who is now one swell.
Speaker 1: Foop against Yeah one.
Speaker 2: Most USC fans slash alumni right now are just demoralized and disgusted. How can we possibly have a positive outlook on the twenty nineteen season. So beyond that, yeah, I mean, just let's be hat glass half full right now.
Speaker 1: With USA, Graham Harrell was a name that people were after as well, very very true. He might not have the sex appeal of one Cliff Kingsbury. I mean that in a football sense, but you know, Cliff Kingsbury was a name. Maybe you don't, Maybe I don't. Not that there's anything wrong with no. The point is, look, yeah, Graham Harrold getting Graham Harrell, I think was was a nice pick up for Clay Hilton.
Speaker 2: So in looking at USC, there's a few things to consider. How many teams in their division forget the conference because it's not a strong conference right now. How many teams in their division.
Speaker 1: Are on solid grounds, have the infrastructure to win nine games. I disagree. I think Utah does Utah okay, but outside Utah it's slim pickens.
Speaker 2: Right now, we're entering the more and more of Asu and the Herm Edwards, who are interesting this year but not super consistent. Very good at home, terrible away from Tempe. Ucla was a nightmare last year. We presume good things, but we really have no way of, you know, looking at twenty nineteen and saying, oh, they're making a huge move this year. I like the quarterback, but Arizona, we'll see. They have the potential to have a dynamic quarterback, but I don't think they're on the most solid of ground with how they began twenty eighteen. Colorado has a new coach, So the hope is nobody's in a demonstrably better play Utah.
Speaker 1: And gonna other than Utah. Their quarterback's gonna get hurt three quarters away through a year, and they're gonna win nine games and no one's going to see it coming. That's Utah season.
Speaker 2: So there's something about that where if USC is just if they're frisky, and I have the schedule in front of me as well, but the North is certainly more difficult Washington State. The Huskies obviously as well, are tough. Oregon has really reinforced with a lot of talent, especially in this year's class. Stanford's always going to be tough. Cal's got a great defense, Oregon State's garbage, but usc with talent on both sides of the ball. They've got a lot of really good young linebackers. They've recruited the secondary very well. I know that they started a safety, a true freshman safety last year. I think it's Talanoa Hufunga, who was a big hitter. Their schedule is they don't play what we can consider to be a definitely winnable game until mid October, but there's not definite losses outside of the at Washington at Notre Dame. I think there's a bye week between them as well, though, So it's Fresno Stanford, they go to BYU with a promising young quarterback that is secretly very good in Zach Wilson. Utah at home at least, and then after the Washington Notre Dame thing, it's Arizona, Colorado at Colorado, Oregon at home at ASU at Cal Ucla. They're more talented than everybody on this schedule than Washington, other than perhaps Washington and Notre Dame. Yeah, so in terms of they could feel a good defense, there's defensive continuity with Clancy Pendergast and a lot of talent there on offense. I don't even know if JT. Daniels was the best quarterback on their roster last year. I really like Jack Sears against ASU. But presumably everybody's taking a step forward and there's somewhat of a fresh schematic start, even if the Clay Helton era feels doomed already.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair. I think that's so. Could they go nine to three and win a bowl? Sure? I don't think it's unrealistic. Sure they have challenges though, for sure they have challenges. Since we talked about j that's the glass half full. Yeah, that's the glass half full. Thank you? Yeah, one swell foop, yep, don't give up. I want a dovetail from JT. Dani As though into another question that we got here from Edward. Okay, Edward a bit of a self serving question because it pertains to Notre Dame. But I'm right. It talks about five star quarterbacks, and he says, why is Notre Dame had so much trouble recruiting and developing a true five star quarterback under Brian Kelly.
Speaker 2: So I did a lot of research on this question. This is such a good This is like the greatest Notre Dame question. Who they just went twelve and zero and went to the playoffs?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Why can't they? Exactly? But he can't they pull a Trevor Lawrence. He's touching a little bit of a nerve here. So I did want to address it first and foremost. We can't answer the question before we define on our own what quote a true five star quarterback really means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think he literally means like a five star twenty four to seven, like premium premium recruit turned that in like what Jimmy Clausen was right, like the no brainer Trevor Lawrence type who can come in And then obviously that's it's front and center because Notre Dame just got worked over.
Speaker 1: By that's right, that's right. So we are in agreement on what that means. So I went back on twenty four to seven and I looked at all ten recruiting classes since Brian Kelly today his first class at Notre Dame was a twenty ten class. I didn't just look at his I looked nationally to see what was going on. There have been a total of twenty one five star quarterbacks in that time period, about two to three every year. Of those twenty one kids, ten of them almost fifty percent went to SEC schools. Four of them went to the PAC twelve USC twice, I want to say UCLA and Stanford, three went to the ACC, two went to the Big Ten, one to the Big twelve. This year Spencer Rattler, and one did go to Notre Dame. So my first take who went to Notre Dame? Gunner keel ill remember the Gunner Killer loved it. My first takeaway is that true five star quarterbacks don't grow on trees. Yeah, there's how many a year, generally two to three, two to three. Yeah, So if you get one out of twenty one, I get it, that's like less than five percent. But relative to the rest of college football, that ain't bad. Aren't a lot of programs getting five star kids, a lot quite frankly of zero. So that's the first point. The second point, and I'd say, forget about Spencer Rattler, forget about bow Knicks who's going to Auburn. They're from this year's class. If you look at the other nineteen names on the list, there are at least five of them that we need to see more from. All Right, we need to see if Justin Fields can develop, if he can be a true five star, if he can showcase that on the field. We don't know. Same deal with kids like Hunter Johnson and Davis Mills. Shaye Patterson a five star kid, a transfer from Ole Miss. He's been good, I don't know if he's been I don't know if he's been transcendent. Right, we need to see more of him. And then he got other kids on this list like Kyle Allen and Max Brown and gun Or Keel who definitely did not work out. They weren't that quarterback when they got on campus. So my second point is that you've really got like a fifty percent chance of living up that label. If you pull a kid like that, it's like fifty percent. Well, so, okay, I think all of what you said is correct here. There are some other factors.
Speaker 2: One, you have to have the five star who's going to thrive at your school, who is a good mix between the players on the team, and some of them are ready to play right away, some of them need a year or two, some of them need a red shirt. Ear you need to mesh well with the offensive coaching staff, just general comfort transitioning from high school to college, and that's true of every player, but the spotlight is especially bright and the expectations are enormous for somebody who is going If you are a five star quarterback, you're going to come in and people are going to say, I can't wait to see him lead us to glory. That is what is going to be saddled on you from day one. And then you add in the Notre Dame factor. The Notre Dame factor is if you take one hundred five star quarterbacks, throw them anywhere in the country, in southern California and Florida, wherever in Texas, and then you say, how many of you want to play college in cold weather? Okay, you take out thirty eight of them, right, And then how many of you want to go to college with a ton more of a workload than the average top college football school academically?
Speaker 1: Okay, throw out another thirty of them.
Speaker 2: How many of you want to not really play in a conference with traditional rivalry games. Play some of your games out West, some of your games against Wake Forest and NC State and Clemson whatever that. You can throw out another fifteen of them. How many of you want to go to a school where you have to go to church, you have to go to mass Okay, throw out another nine of them. And it's just it's such a specific and I'm not saying any of that is bad. I'm saying to get a top kid to Notre Dame means you are dealing with a smaller pool of top kids. Whether it's because of academics, whether it's because of religion, whether it's because of location and weather, whatever. Then many other schools are offering, so the pool is already going to be smaller.
Speaker 1: And it's quite frankly, very hard to get a five star kid. Was my first relief, and everything you're saying there one hundred percent plays in. The more concerning part of this to me as a Notre Dame fan is the development angle, not the recruiting angle. Recruiting is hard, and it's even harder to get a five star kid for a variety of reasons. Maybe some of those are emphasized at Notre Dame, but The real question, to me has less to do with the star ratings more to do with development. Why is it Notre Dame turning kids into like Baker Mayfield and why don't we have that at Notre Dame. There's no easy answer to it, and especially so because the quarterback position at Notre Dame has been somewhat cursed over the last ten years. They've had academic suspensions and the injuries, crowded depth charts. All of that complicates the matter. Tommy's who now want to be named tom That's right. A handful of different coordinators throw that in the mix as well. None of that has helped. I don't know if you can point to any one thing or I will agree with Edward and then I promise we'll move on. Is that development, certainly is an open question. I've long had a bit of anxiety around the fact that from year to year does not feel like quarterbacks at Notre Dame get all that much better. Right, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't this isn't this the same thing anywhere? That's just not Notre Dame, where you just need that first hit and then everything sort of spirals from there. So, okay, you need that first awesome quarterback. And so with Clemson, maybe is it you know, Taj Boyd begets to shann and begets Trevor Lawrence. I want to be the next Reggie Bush, begets Joe McKnight, Michael James, begets d Anthony Thomas. You know, Percy Harvin begets champions Breed championship right where it's just like, I want to be the next blank. And if we're talking specifically about Notre Dame quarterbacks, you're saying, do I want to be the next Jimmy Clauston, Tommy Reese, Dane Christ, Sean Kaiser, Ian Book, Like, these are not names that are leading game day necessarily because they're all good in their own way to whatever extent. But how many kids are at home saying I want I need to be the next Ian Book? I don't know that there are many. And he's he's a playoff quarterback, but it's just the system that they run in the way that they play is not necessarily that. Whereas that Oklahoma you have Jason Sam Bradford.
Speaker 1: I don't know about who's the star that like, who's the star? No, no, no, I agree with what you're talking. I agree generally. I don't know if it's a system thing. I think it might not be.
Speaker 2: A system thing, but it's a star thing where you're just like, Okay, this Notre Dame has a dude at whatever position. I think that we've had it a different position. I think that can certainly be a factor.
Speaker 1: You need that first. Their offensive line, for example, has definitely a major selling point for recruits. They're doing very well along the offensive line. That can absolutely play a factor at the quarterback position. I don't know if it's so much a system thing. I think it's got on some level to be a coaching thing. Because none of these quarterbacks have gotten better from you to you's that's a bigger issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And I think where you see that recruiting success where this star turns into the star recruit turns into a star player, a lot of it is because of a confidence in that coaching staff to develop them into what they've been watching on TV.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go, Joel Will Jalen Hurts be in New York City as a Heisman finalist. Good transition, Thank you, Will Oklahoma be back in the playoffs? How much improvement will Alex Grinch bring to the Oklahoma defense. So we've got three Oklahoma centric questions. We talked about it. If you miss the boat, if you've been detoxing from college football, like the rest of normal, well adjusted gentlemen and women out there, don't feel bad. Jalen Hurts transferred to Oklahoma. He will be their quarterback. Presumably Oklahoma brings back a lot from last year, so it stands to reason they have a pretty good chance at the playoff. And as we illustrated on the program time and time again, the defense was a huge problem. This is a huge problem to the extent that they just stopped playing it and hope for a couple big plays per game down the stretch. Now they bring in Alex Grinch, formerly of Ohio State, formerly of Washington State. He's a guy ghast generator. Yeah, he a ghost generator. Thank you. He's come in. He's made his mark in a hurry pretty much everywhere he's been. So you can pick which one of those tentacles you wish to address. Dan hurt will have every opportunity to succeed. To that point.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma's on a Heisman streak, which is not a thing a lot of teams can say, so, he will have every opportunity. What was the rub on him, who had he had a very successful career at Alabama. The rub on him was tentative going downfield. Yes, you know, he didn't make he didn't want to make mistakes, which is amazing and it's incredible. I remember it was two years ago when he did start against it was I don't know if it was conference teams or ranked teams or teams with a winning record.
Speaker 1: It was something like.
Speaker 2: Twelve touchdowns to zero or one interception, something incredibly impressive. But at Oklahoma that quarterback position, he is not going to be able to lean on the defense for field position and stops. He will be able to lean on the running game with a couple of promising young running backs, but he will have every opportunity. They're bringing in just a ridiculous and unfair class of receivers. Now they return some talent there. I know they lose, you know, Hollywood Brown is gone, but he will have every opportunity to do so. I think three in a row is too many. I just I can't imagine that because it is difficult as a grad transfer to come in. And we have another question about this that a lot of times, grad transfers exist because they're beaten out, and they're beaten out for a reason in most cases, a clear weakness, whether it's a new coach coming in with a different system, whether it's just a new quarterback coming in who's better. But it's it's very rare that we see excellent quarterbacks transfer and thrive if they're beaten out, like Russell Wilson obviously did, Gardner Minshew did for scheme reasons. For an Adams thrived, but he was not beaten out at Eastern Washington. We've seen it happen, sure, but there's also that element of, oh, he has a very specific weakness and they found somebody who doesn't and he's gone.
Speaker 1: Now. It's an incredible move though for Lincoln Riley, just on our front for a number of reasons, but on this front in particular, they're bringing in a true five star quarterback that presumably will develop under the tutelage of mister Riley. Jalen Hurts as a quarterback who obviously is proven to some extent will on some high level college football games, got Alabama to a national championship, played half of that national championship terribly. Programs don't generally work out on offense when you're jumping from flame to flame or bringing in quarterback transfers every year and you basically have to reboot. Even Kyler Murray, though he was a transfer, had a year in that system correct to learn, while Baker Mayfield coining his Heisman Trophy. So my point here is this gives Lincoln Riley that bridge where he can bring in someone with experience, maybe not experience with the program, but they can build experience now with their youngin and presumably hit the ground running them in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: I think he'll be fine. I think he will be a top fifteen or twenty quarterback in the country, but it's difficult for me to see him in a way that he couldn't at Alabama, where he had a lot of opportunity to there as well.
Speaker 1: You could take any quarterback in the country against their chances for the Heisman Trophy, and the odds will ever be in a favor because it is such a hard thing to win. There's so many variables. One other thing that works in Jalen Hurts' favor here is the fact that we saw Lincoln Riley adapt his offense on the fly last year as some injuries happened, as he kind of learned his personnel and he did a masterful job of that. So if he can tailor a system to Jalen Hurts his skill set, that would seemingly bode pretty well for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And John asked a question along these lines that we won't go too deep into. Why does somebody like Russell Wilson or Gardner Minshew succeed and others like Malik Zayer and the Zayhara and Max Brown not succeed as much as grad transfer quarterbacks As a coaching scheme, personalities, can these factors help us predict the potential for success for the twenty nineteen quarterback transfers, of which we.
Speaker 1: Have a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say sticking with grad transfer, you are coming in either with one or sometimes you know, like we've seen a couple of times a couple of years to play and it just not work out. And I think a lot of that is one you got beaten out. You might be just a really good backup quarterback at a top power five place and that's fine. Or two you don't have much time to make an impression and build a rapport and learn the offense and build confidence with those around you. And sometimes it's just a bad fit. Sometimes you are just you know, supposed to be playing at William and Mary, Bill and Mary. Sometimes you should just be playing at an FCS school or a lower level Power five school and a school for whatever reason, maybe like Florida State this year doesn't have the bodies, and there's like we need to grab somebody, and then you talk yourself into like I did with what was his name was? It was pre Cop, Yeah, Dakota prew Cop. Yes, he had the flat footed whatever. He was fine, but nothing special and they ran out like you mentioned, jumping flame to flame, as Oregon was doing with grid transfer quarterbacks. You need to find somebody who is who did well enough at their place, like Russell Wilson did at NC State and for whatever reason, disagreement over baseball, disagreement over scheme, like Gardner Minshew committed to ECU because he thought he would be playing for Lincoln Riley. He was an air aid guy like oh no, no, not a oh okay. Went to Mike Leach in Washington State, much better fit and had the personality to build Obviously a huge personality. Everybody wanted to play with him, and he backed it up with his arm. And I just think that elixir is pretty rare to find.
Speaker 1: Well, it's hard unless you're quite frankly a guy with a high profile like a Jalen Hurts because oftentimes these are kids just looking for a place to play, and that might define my top priority over the scheme and the fit and all the things that I think we know now are more important when it comes to having success versus otherwise. Somebody had sent us numbers way back when on success. However they defined it among grad transfer quarterbacks, it's actually quite low. There was a piece wed in the Athletic I believe it was Max Olsen or Gosh I forget who wrote something like that, but continue, Yeah, I mean there are far more Maligue's a errors and Max Brown's and the Russell Wilson's and Gardner Minshew's out there. It takes time. I think that's like the reality.
Speaker 2: It's about trust, babe, it's about tous but it's also you're not going to fight like Vernon Adams was a case where he had success against PAC twelve, PAC ten teams whatever it was back then. Pack twelve teams at Eastern Washington. He had that track record, there were data points. We're like, okay, he is dominating these defenses, and in other situations we don't have those data points. You need the time, you need the reps. And there's just everybody wants their grad transfer QB to come in like a Lou Williams or Eddie House. If you're talking about like NBA, those guys who just come in and pop some threes and go back to the bench. I don't think that is no all that easy to find it all with such a difficult position.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, before we go any further. Every man looks better, feels better, is more confident when he puts on suit, especially if it's an Indo Chino suit. Indo Chino the world's most exciting made to measure men's wear company. They have suits and shirts that fit your exact measurements with unparalleled comfort. You can visit a stylist at an Indo Chino showroom and have your measurements taken in person, or you can measure yourself online and shop at Indochino dot com. It's Idochiono dot com. Then you pick your fabrics and colors, You design your customizations, and you hit the submit button. You wait, you relax, Your suit gets professionally made for you and sent on out in a couple of weeks. Now here's the deal.
Speaker 2: For a level with us, level with us.
Speaker 1: With Indoschino. We have gotten and I'm not kidding, numerous numerous compliments, and we turn people onto this for their wedding, for their formal occasion. But until this point, neither you nor I actually had an Indochino suit. Correct. We received notice from our people that you and I now both qualify to get a free Endochino suit. Oh my gosh. Some plants have been made on the secret g chat for you and I to gather in your hood and maybe go together to be measured for these Indochino suits, which, by the way, you mentioned you can submit everything online that you want to do. That's right.
Speaker 2: If you go to indochino dot com, they have showrooms. If you're in in or near a large city in North America, They've got a lot of places you can go and have your contours measured.
Speaker 1: Toll right. This is this is you can feel like a kajillion dollars getting a custom suit. We're gonna make a day of this. We're gonna bond over our suits. Will we take pictures? Dumb and dumber? Yeahah, okay, this week our listeners can get any premium Indo China suit just three fifty nine. Oh, come on at indochino dot com. That's just the jacket right, No, No, that's the whole damn thing. What Indochino dot com. Enter the code solid at checkout fifty percent off the regular price made to measure premium suit shippings free. Go to indochino dot com promo code solid any premium Indo chinosuit for just three fifty nine plus shipping. An incredible deal for a premium made to measure suit. Once you go custom you don't go back. Where are we going next to true? Okay, let's god, I'm just thinking about my suit. I got distracted. I don't know what's gonna happen when we go. Is you're gonna talk me into some weird customization. Of course, you're gonna be able to package it in a way that it feels very logical and very trendy. And then I'm going to be on the long car ride home, I'm going to think why did I let Dan do that. No, Ty, I've got your best interests in mind here. This is not anything I'm doing in fairness. You did help me pick out a pair of sneakers that didn't look like dad's shoes, and I appreciate it's right. Paul wants to know what is the most obscure penalty you guys have witnessed in all your years of watching college football. Mine was an.
Speaker 2: Illegal forward kick obscure penalty? Okay, so recently I have two? Okay, recently, I love the double forward pass penalty and the cheese at Bowl, an unbelievable attempt, not only a double pass, but throwing two forward passes on one play. It was magic. And then how do you not? I mean, even though the penalty itself is common, I forget if it was a personal foul or a block in the back. But Ron Cherry two thousand and seven, six seven somewhere there it was Maryland n C State. It was I think a block in the back personal foul given him. The business was what it was called over the stadium loud speakers. I think it was NC State getting murdered by Maryland. I think that's it was an old acc matchup that no longer exists. Blocking the back personal foul. He was giving him the business because I think he got somebody got punched or hitting the giblets. The giblets, huh yeah, the old giblet punch.
Speaker 1: So you know, I don't know if this is obscure the way that it feels like it's obscure to me. But I just have a problem with the leaping penalty.
Speaker 2: Okay, why because it's an athletic move that I feel like you should be able to do.
Speaker 1: It, like someone's gonna try and kick a field goal or an extra point. And if if you can jump up on someone's back or I don't know, if you can figure out a way to get your body in front of it and knock it down, that seems like that should be legal to me. I just read the Bill Belichick book by because I just love nerding out about coaches sometimes that's how I get my football fix. I read these giant tomes tomes tombs of college football coaching and or football coaching. And his football career ended. He was a backup center, and his coach at Wesleyan, I want to say, is where he played devised the perfect not at all. Blocking strategy for kicks Basically, the two defensive tackles right in front of the center were to take out the center's legs and pin him after the snap, allowing linebackers to pursue unimpeded up the hay gap to block the kick. And they had Bill Belichick do this as the backup center. He was like the guinea pig in practice. He had to do like ten times to have his legs taken out and pinned and his legs snapped, and it was never a legal move. It was so so ugly and bad. So it's a safety thing, is what I'm trying to tell you. With the leaping in the centers and everything. I get it, I get, but it just, you know, feels like it's something you should be able to do block a kick.
Speaker 2: I understand, I'm with you, And I love a good kick. I love a good extra point block because it's such a routine thing to have an extra point through the uprights and then oh what huh what six?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, what that's great. Next question, somebody asked us about the most disrespected by sports media teams.
Speaker 1: Oh, do you have any answers?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's what does that actually mean, Like accomplishments aren't acknowledged, I guess, or people just don't like their fans online and so they like making fun of them, like Florida State and Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Most disrespected. Michigan State obviously is the right joke has to be for their disrespect. I would say very generally that teams in far off places like Washington State who are consistently winning, are consistently winning inadvertently fall into this category. More often than not.
Speaker 2: People still disrespect the Colgate defense. That's call Schaffner threw together with chicken, wire and heart.
Speaker 1: That's my answer for FCS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's what it is. The place is that I don't think what can we do? We can only talk about it so much. We do two shows a week during the season. But there are certain teams where it is just harder to win. There and coaches who are able to you know, Utah making the leap from a Mountain West school, even though they did so you know, gradually, and they built up and they started dominating the Mountain West and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: They did it right.
Speaker 2: But Utah winning consistently with Kyle Whittingham I think we just sort of accept and don't really appreciate, perhaps as much as we should.
Speaker 1: Washington State.
Speaker 2: It's a good answer what Iowa State has done in winning and becoming a consistent bowl team and beating some giants. I think Northwestern, you know what they've done with It's more difficult to win there. For a long time. They had bad facilities.
Speaker 1: I know they.
Speaker 2: Recently upgraded them. I think what Virginia has done with Bronco Mendenhall. I don't think they're disrespected, but it's impressive, nonetheless to win at these places that just don't have the resources. Not that again, Virginia has plenty. Virginia is fine. So those are the teams I think that are winning and going to bowls consistently, like where Purdue came from, where they were with Daryl Hazel to where they are now.
Speaker 1: With Jeff Brohm.
Speaker 2: I don't think people are disrespecting them, but I think it should be pointed out that they have steeper climbs than most and are doing so anyway.
Speaker 1: They're getting to the top for them all right, Before we get to some life questions here, First time, long time from mort in Columbus. He says do you find the off field drama, the TV contracts, the conference realignment, recruiting flips and other oddities the off field stuff as boring in tedious as I do. For me, it's mostly a reminder that I'm not watching actual football. Dam what are your thoughts? Right? For most people, for most teams, right, if the math checks out, you get twelve days out of three sixty five. And this has just become a thing in sports. I mean, how much when you pay attention to.
Speaker 2: ESPN or Fox or SI or any of these big places, how much of the NBA headlines are about, oh, shoot, Chris Middleston, Chris Middleton, excuse me, twenty two to ten? Or how much is ooh, johannest is thinking about drafting Steph Curry number one in the All Star Oh, Anthony.
Speaker 1: Davis has requested to trade. This is everywhere.
Speaker 2: This is the NFL has created a year long thing. The NBA is a year long thing. And this is college football. With college football does not sell winning. College football to me sells hope. College Ball's in the hope business. And that's recruiting and new coaches and spring practice and fall camp and ooh, this guy beat out this guy for a week side linebacker. That's what is being sold more than anything right or wrong. Sure, and so I understand missing actual football, and I think this is a very good time to work on other parts of your life if you don't like the drama and the mundane. Oh, the SEC brought in forty four million dollars because of their TV deal compared to thirty one for the PAC twelve. It's fine if you don't like it. Ultimately, it's kind of inconsequential. Sure, go get your mile time up. And he actually said, how do I learn to cook Mexican food? Let's make you a Mexican chef this spring.
Speaker 1: Here's the other thing I'd add moret thank you for writing and thank you for listening for a long time. We're not the best people to ask on this topic, because we do. We trained in this. We require to be news on TV contracts and conference realignment, recruiting flips, all the arrests, the things that maybe don't truly matter in the scheme of football. We require that stuff in order to do a year round show. So inevitably, Dan and I are a little bit more interested in than maybe some of your other buddies who are into college football.
Speaker 2: We still make up fake fantasy drafts, do We still do brackets for things that are secretly garbage that people seem to like but are actually garbage, and so we at least try to cause Yeah. I think he's right. I think the off field drama is ephemeral. It disappears. It ultimately is not going to mean much unless it's a star player or a great coach and something, unless it turns your program upside down. So I'm okay with you checking out. Just throw us the download. That's all I'm here to say. Throw us the download, and then go listen to whatever your mom's house.
Speaker 1: Sam says when in the dating process, should we have a.
Speaker 2: Should we have like a sound as we now transition away from college football?
Speaker 1: After somebody said.
Speaker 2: He finds it tedious when we transition, not we, but as America transitions. So here we go the college football world.
Speaker 1: Okay, the first thing I had at the ready, the college football portion of this show has basically concluded. I'm not going to say that with absolution, but I think it has concluded. Yeah, play the dramatics. Sound the lights are coming down. Now we're going to talk a little life. Yeah, it sucks my life. Sam says when in the dating process, for which date number is Chili's an acceptable date? Okay, some would say the first date. I say the third because the first and second should be unique and the third should be Let's do something common together to see how much we actually enjoy each other's company, minus the nice dinners or fancy barstand Chili's, I would. I'm just gonna surmise here, where was your first date with solid wife Kate?
Speaker 2: I believe read Robin. Yeah, so that's that's a Chili's cousin. So you can speak to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe you probably have a hotter take on this matter than I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I don't want to be a cidyist, regionist geographist because I've I've grew up in the Los Angeles area and I live in New York. So I'm not going to tell you not to eat it Chili's because Chiliess is fine. I'm going to say one Chili's is not super impressive. If you have a comparable local option, keep that money in your neighborhood, you know, instead of eating good in the neighborhood. What is that Applebee's, Apple, that's Applebee's. If there is a chili's like Burger beer bar that is good and cool and interesting, maybe with an outside eating option. If it's that, if it's appropriate for that time of year, I would I would avoid chili's as long as possible, unless it's particularly convenient, like you're starving when you get out of a movie and other's.
Speaker 1: A chili And that was the deal with Red Rock. It's nothing, absolutely nothing wrong right next to the movie theater.
Speaker 2: But this is what you have to keep in mind. You're trying to impress your date right first date. You're trying to not necessarily impressed her like Ooh, I'm I have a ton of money and I'm charming and suave. You want to impress her by saying I'm not creepy and weird. That's the biggest priority. It doesn't matter where you eat. If you eat it Chili's, you eat it, Chili's. Who cares. So if you want it to be date one, that's fine. I would try to get more creative with it or more local with it. I would say Date one, I'm not creepy and weird. Date two, let me confirm I'm definitely not creepy and weird. That's what's most important. The food doesn't matter as much.
Speaker 1: Date three.
Speaker 2: I would say, once you've confirmed that you're not creepy and weird, I think you should make a push. Doesn't have to happen. Maybe cook for your date. Okay, I think that's that's an interesting It shows.
Speaker 1: You're anti chili. Is what you're telling is not anti chili, anti chili. Do you can admit it?
Speaker 2: Well, what I will say is you can admit it as much as Chili's it's chiliess is okay, it's not bad, It's not great, but it's fine, great corn on the cup. As much as they try, Chili's is never going to be able to replicate a really good local place that has character, that has regulars whatever. Even if even if the food isn't as good, there's something about the energy of a good local place that you lose by going to a national chain.
Speaker 1: Is that fair? Absolutely fair? Oh? Absolutely fair? So I would I would have. I would avoid the corporate energy as long as possible. It's convenient. The red robin thing for me was super convenient. That's why we went there. Right. That's again, you are a Red Robin's success story. That's right, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I would also, if it's convenient, go, But if you have the choice, opt local.
Speaker 1: You also may be able to accentuate your personality a bit if you could sort of play off the whole Chilis thing and turn it into an inside joke, that could have some less Yeah, all right, that can make for a fun date. But generally, I think I'm with you. Do you think the longer you can push it off the better? Do you think Sam is asked us this question? I don't know if this is a man, woman, whatever, but do you think Sam is asking us this question because he's into Somebody doesn't want to be embarrassed if they have, if they have like snooty tastes or whatever. But Sam effin loves chi Chili's is his wheelsouse fudge. I need those rims.
Speaker 2: Like he doesn't want to be embarrassed that he loves it so much, Like he's Sam is just all about chili.
Speaker 1: He sent this in from a Chili's.
Speaker 2: Right this This is written by Samuel L. Chili, founder of Chili's. I think it's I think it's acceptable whenever just you want, you want that non corporate energy to last as long as possible.
Speaker 1: You got to be aware of the fact that you're at a Chili's, I think, is what I'm saying. Yeah, while you're there. Okay, good question, by the way. Okay, next, uh Bo writes in as someone who brews beer for a living, shout out Druid City Brewing. I listened to a lot of music other than American football. What other Midwest emo should I brew to here in Tuscaloosa? Also any chalkboard ideas? Wow, we were on the Druid City Chalkboard.
Speaker 2: We were not earlier, that famous famous chalkboard. A lot of college football related drawing, which.
Speaker 1: Was like a huge deal. We were very excited about that. On the Secret cellverble g Chi Honor. Okay, Midwestern emo bands, ty, do you have I have suggestions? Do you know you get to go first on emo? You know that? All right?
Speaker 2: So if you're going authentically Midwestern emo, probably cap and Jazz. They've been around forever. They're a Midwestern pioneer on the emo scene. I love There's a band I don't even know if they exist anymore. There's a band called Spittlefield from Chicago album Remember Right Now Great from like early two thousands, promised Ring Classic. They're from Milwaukee if we consider Lawrence, Kansas to be Midwest, which I think is probably planes but midwest to Jason, obviously, you've got your Get Up Kids Alkaline Trios from Chicago, and I'll give them a bonus. Nowhere near the Midwest, but I think it would. I think it would work for brewing beer. There's a band from Orange County. Also, don't think they exist anymore. Shows how old we are called lim Beck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, l imb We talked about them on the show.
Speaker 2: We absolutely have talked about limb Beck. I think lim Beck would be great. I think the album is Hi, Everything's great or Hey, everything's fine. There's two of them that are like there's like an acoustic version that has one of them's great, one of them's fine.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: That would be my recommendation. My gap and jazz outline, Treio Get Up Kids promised Rings Middlefield bonus.
Speaker 1: Limb Beck. My thing was more pop punk, and so so you'll say, like, okay, early Fallout Boy. They're from Chicago. Yeah, and uh, certainly early all American rejects from Stillwater, Oklahoma. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That also that's the get Up kids planes corollary, but yeah, yes, okay, what.
Speaker 1: Is the most emo team in the SEC? And I hate I don't.
Speaker 2: Generally like these questions emo. Huh so the most emo team in the SEC? This from Andy? And why is it South Carolina? I think we need to define broadly how we're approaching this, sort of like a little bit of self loathing doesn't really fit in, doesn't really fit in? Got some heartbreak, a lot of heartbreak, violent imagery, violent imagery. There's like an underground element to to emo. Wear your emotions out for everybody to see.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm thinking of a couple teams here. South Carolina works, South Carolin pretty well. Why does South Carolina work? To you? So? South Carolina? I believe?
Speaker 2: Were they the most recent team to join the SEC before ya Zoo and A and M. It is correct, So they're like the new kid trying to fit in. That's a definite theme, wearing their emotions for everybody to see. Well, must champ check. Yep, heartbreak played a lot of close games this year. Yep check violent imagery again, must champ. There's the underground elements. I don't know if that fully fits, but they play Sandstorm and that feels like it also was a hit during when Emo was turned the time EMO really soword, so that feels right. I think South Carolina is a good answer. I would also say Mississippi State.
Speaker 1: Mississippi State is one that comes to mind. I was gonna say Missouri. Missouri might be the easy answer, the low hanging fruit because they're one of the newer kids on the block. But the one thing that comes to mind for me, and this is just on a personal level, but when I'm putting in tags on some of the SEC shows that we do, and I have to tag a posting with all of the team names in the SEC, inevitably I forget about Missouri because in my mind, maybe it's just like a weird mental block. I don't know, Missouri does not feel like they're part of the southeast part of the United States. That's like, I mean, neither does Houston Station. Absolutely, and I forget them too, But more often than not, Missouri is the team I forget because they just don't feel like they be and they're in the East and certainly it's not as high profile as the West. That's fine. Emotion. Barry Otam had that emotional tirade. What was it a year ago? That's true, Okay, some heartbreak. We've watched the offense. We've watched the defense at times like each has had their own trials and tribulations. The twenty fifteen offense down and out in a bad place. So I think Missouri might be low hanging fruit. But that's probably my answer.
Speaker 2: I have Mississippi State here just because of the feeling alienated in a way, Starkville is a little bit different than the rest of the SEC in terms of geography and attitude, not a good or bad way, They're just different. And then there is the element of that emo or scream o singer whatever holding the mic over the crowd, and you get that loud feedback from the crowd yelling the lyrics, and there's that cowbell elements where you're getting that audience participation, like you go into a dashboard show, you go to whatever show, and you have that roar from the crowd, And I think Mississippi State fits. That next question comes to us, Hmmm, this I'm gonna I'm gonna throw to you. I have an answer, but I know you're gonna feel more passionately about this because you are you will drop me as soon as the Weather channel comes calling.
Speaker 1: That's right. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you were saying we want you to be Cantory two point zero, you will change your phone number and block me. You have endless money, Curtis asks and a time and the time for one whole year, and you can chase storms anywhere. Top five types of weather events you'd want to witness in person? Wow, so this isn't I guess it's chasing, but it's also you just want to be present to see what it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, okay, see I feel very guilty answering this question because the kinds of things that I'd like to see probably result in hardship for a lot of people. Okay, many of whom listen to the show, so asterisk. Yeah, I'm not trying to champion any of.
Speaker 2: These How many of these things would you like to see in a remote place with nobody living, so nobody is going to be physically affected by this crazy storm. You are able to go see it in a in a barren wasteland or an uninhabited place.
Speaker 1: A tornado would be cool on a dessert, and it would be cool Tornia. There are people who do this for a living a tourney.
Speaker 2: Do you ever see those like tankers that the storm chasers are in that way up bajillion pounds.
Speaker 1: They're like tanks, man, they are they are basically tanks. Have you been in a white out? I've been in a white out? Yeah, I've been in a white out. How is a white out? It's crazy, it's all white, it's wild. I never really have.
Speaker 2: I've been snowed in, and that's that's blizzard conditions. But I don't think I've ever been able to stand outside and not see anything in front.
Speaker 1: Of like my hands.
Speaker 2: Have you ever have you ever been on a mountain? I would love to be adjacent to an avalanche, But is that a weather event? That's not a wall not. It's a weather event in that you need a lot of snow. But then conditions change, obviously on the mountains, so it's like in the same vein as storm surge at a hurricane. It's like a result of another phenomenon.
Speaker 1: If I could be in a dope cabin on an adjacent mountain and just be sipping coffee watching an avalanche affect no human life, I'd be a hell of a morning along the same lines. What about a good mud slide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that is. It is technically a storm and weather event. It's the after effects. I They're not as great, They're not as fun. There's a rumble to an avalanche that I don't feel like you get with mudslides. I'll tell you this, ty, and I've experienced it, probably not on the level that you know. I don't know if it's an Oklahoma or Texas whoever gets it most violently. There's something about hale. Oh yeah, hale does it for me. I'm not a spiritual person. I'm not a religious person. Rain is rain, snow is snow. Hale feels biblical. There is something about hale where like, oh, somebody is upset up there about something, and there is something beautifully violent about hail as long as it's not affecting you know, people or property in significant ways. I react in a very visceral way to hale and like being in a crazy hailstorm.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It kind of does it for me. I thought of my answer. The answer isn't so much a tornado. It's a water spout. What is what? It's a tornado over water? A close cousin of the fire spout or fire whirl. Maybe it's called which is a tornado over Like, what was it that you just sent me? That something under Chicago? Yeh oh my gosh. So that's when the fault lines fill with water and freezer or something. That's when water in the ground freezes and it causes causes a reaction in the ground and it makes the plates a boom. Yeah, tectonics. Love tech. There are also some crazy like cloud formations that arise that I might like to see. But my number one answer is a water spout. That's a good answer. I like that. Okay, I think here, let's go. There's two more questions than I guess. We'll talk personal stuff. Do you feel compelled to like love slash retweet your significant other social media posts? Ryan wants to know. Yes, So your wife is on Twitter. She is yeah, good tweeter. I say that I follow her, I enjoy her tweet. She will love to hear that thank you dance for good Twitter.
Speaker 2: My wife is not on Twitter. She posts on Instagram maybe once a year and wants nothing to do with social media. But I understand that there's there are pressures that come along with it, and to that, I say, delete all of your social media accounts. It's not doing you any good. You can follow us on Twitter and that's it. It's rough out there man, social media. Like I've had people say to me, did you see this picture? I've seen media people post things like I see you out there watching my Instagram stories but not liking my posts smart, interesting, funny. People get their brain warped because of like some comments and like, it's insane what it does to people.
Speaker 1: And you feel that. No, I don't feel like I need that, but I feel compelled to like solid wife Kate's tweets. Yes, sure, I feel I feel compelled to. As for me personally, I could take it or leave it. I don't really need it. Do you have do you have Instagram? I don't even know if you have a personal Instagram. I have personal Instagram. I don't use it because my pictures are terrible. I take terrible photos. I'm not good. I also can't see color. I can't. Yeah, No, it's just it's it's a bad medium for me personally to promote my brand. Right. I enjoy other content on Instagram very much, but I'm looking your inside. My last posting was like many moons ago. This is a pretty good picture. November. You got some snow. Yeah, but look at the other ones. There's nothing of any real merit on there. Dan, you posted a picture of goldfish we were in Chicago, a pumpkin pie. Oh yeah, no, your your grid is now I haven't posted and over it like I have a funny picture hear of a misused comma where it's said Rachel Ray finds inspiration in cooking her family and her dog. I like, yeah, that is good. I've seen that picture.
Speaker 2: I like the stories though, because they disappear, like here's a little here's a little nugget, and then you can just move on with your life and the world will never see it again.
Speaker 1: I'm gonnat like a thousand follows now and everyone will be sort of.
Speaker 2: Follow Ty hilden Brant t U Y H I, L D E N B R and Y two got it first, You locked it up. You locked up the Tay hilden Brant name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just to circle back. I yeah, I do feel compelled to like it is weird, solid wife ks content. Yeah I do.
Speaker 2: It's when when people in real life say things like, huh did you uh see the picture?
Speaker 1: I pose it. Yeah, I'll tell you my problem on Facebook. My problem on Facebook is I've hidden most of the people I am friends with. It's the move. I've hidden most of the people, and it's really come back to bite me in the butt because I've had friends who have literally had kids, other big time life events have occurred to them, and I've totally been in the dark. I can see that, and that's fine. It's your life kept on going, didn't it. Anyway? Moving on final question, I really hope this isn't real. Okay, Oh yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Suspect it might be. I would say there's a sixty one percent chance it's real. That's the number I'm putting it. Okay, Okay. This came to us, I believe on Reddit my girlfriend of about four and a half years now and one of my best friends since elementary school. So those are two different people drunkenly made out at a pool party around two years ago, who I just found out because she says it means nothing to them and they didn't want to hurt me. Oh boy, I'm really not sure how to react. I'm kind of in shock. Any thoughts, advice? It might be it might be a made up thing just to get us talking.
Speaker 1: I don't know, okay, but there's a chance it isn't. There's a chance we've got overballer out there in neat and pain correct. I was thinking about this question for the moment it dropped on the Reddit feed. The part that jumps out at me that I take issue the most issue with is just finding out because it meant nothing and they didn't want to hurt you. If they didn't want to hurt you, they wouldn't have done it in the first place. So that part I have a real beef with that statement there that I think above all else is what would stick in my craw the most. Presumably this happens two and a half years into a relationship. Two and a half years. Yeah, that's a long time, right, It seems like that's a long time in.
Speaker 2: And I'd say it's different, but not necessarily too different. If this is a twenty one year old doing this versus a thirty one year old doing this, hard to no, are we don't have age background, no nothing. Twenty one year old much more likely to do something immature and hurtful than a thirty one year old in my experience. The fact that you drunkenly do this. And I've had friends who have cheated been cheated on, and they work it out and they get married and they're presumably happy, but you never really know, So it's a different situation. For however anybody wants to feel, that's fine, But I can only speak for myself. It seems like it'd be hard to trust this person, yes, keeping something, because it's not just keeping something from you for two years, it's lying to you for two years. It's lying by omission. So you're lying for two years. And it's not like they just said, yep, I was at this random party and made out with this random dude.
Speaker 1: It's like Jody with and eye saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of years ago made out with camera guy Dave. What sorry meant to tell you? Of all the people, Yeah, it'd be tough for me, and you have to evaluate it for yourself. But trust is a super difficult thing to restore, and I find I would be in a place where I would be looking for somebody that potentially wouldn't lie to me for two years about making out with a friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I'm not going to tell this gentleman what to do because we don't have the full context here.
Speaker 2: Because if you're if you're a loyal person, I know, if fidelity is something that's important to you, you should be with somebody. This is me saying speaking for myself that feels the same way.
Speaker 1: I agree with all of that. I just would feel very guilty about trying to give advice here without the full context because exactly right, life is very complicated and painted in shades of gray, not black and white. So and if this, if this person is crazy important to you and you want to work it out, attempt to speak to a professional together and try to get to the root and try to build a new foundation, that would be a direction. My only point here, and I will stick with this, is the line about it meant nothing to them and or they didn't want to hurt me is bull. That's bull. Oh this is also just immaturity. Yeah, total bull. If they didn't want to hurt you, they wouldn't have done it in the first place. It wouldn't have lied to you for two years. So that line, if that is in fact the excuse, is not a valid excuse in my book.
Speaker 2: If it came out that you made out with not necessarily one of Kate's friends. But early, early on, you're like, oh, yeap slipped up at the Christmas party and you've been holding it back.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be out right, I think I'd probably be out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely would be I hope i'd be out. I definitely would be out. So all right, I'm just I'm too lazy to do that. I love my wife too much. Yeah, all right, that's our show, except for one last thing. I guess, yes, So, I guess if you follow me on Instagram, which God blessed, thank you, thanks for the follow.
Speaker 1: Much better pictures than mine, by the way. Yeah, I just do the story thing so it disappears. Dan Rubinstein, just one word, I guess I got some news. How you want to throw me a drum roll? Body?
Speaker 2: That is the sound of my son crying, because we have a solid baby through. When we started this show, we were not with our wives. No, there was no home ownership, there was no wedding planning, there was no wedding, there was no honeymoon, there was no buying of a home, and there were certainly no children. And so if you've been listening to the show for a long time, we've all come to a very far and definitely better place together. And so now this would be two weeks ago, my beautiful wife Jody with and I gave birth to a very healthy son, seven pounds eleven ounces, and there is now an extra member of the solidverbal crew. And you can point to this day as when we jump the shark. This is the day. Like, yeah, once Dan had his kid, it just wasn't the same. I don't know, I'm gonna listen to Bill Connolly and Steven or something, but yes, I have a son.
Speaker 1: He's healthy, he's amazing. It's been a great two weeks.
Speaker 2: We had his two week doctor's appointment today and ninety eighth percentile height, whoa around thirty to forty percentile weight, but strong legs. Scouting report is very positive, elite pooper. I am over the moon, completely in love and yeah, we have a solid baby.
Speaker 1: It's pretty incredible. Wow. Yeah, that's very exciting. Dan congratulating. I am I am the first person to have a kid. You are. I'll treat it as such. I am the first father. This is College Football Podcasting's Truman Show. Is what this is? This is it?
Speaker 2: So yeah, we've actually gotten questions before, like when you guys have kids, so you guys can talk about what it's like to wach college football and juggle fatherhood or something like that.
Speaker 1: At least on my end, I've I've heard reports that Tie is very virile. That's right.
Speaker 2: So now I have a number of questions here, right, and I will say I'm going to answer all of those questions. And we've talked about you know, we get engaged and we talk about wedding planning and stuff like that, and we check in blah blah blah. I was just very I wanted everything to go right. We were very fortunate that it did. Everything was very healthy along the way. I definitely understand that we are incredibly fortunate for that to be the case. And certainly thoughts are out to everybody you know going through their own stuff and you know, always thinking of you. But just wanted to keep it low key to make sure everything went all right.
Speaker 1: Well it did, and congratulations, have you acquired your dad's strength yet? Dan?
Speaker 2: You know what, I actually was going to the gym Moore, you know, I know that's sort of endorphin and in the spur of the moment lift a car thing. Sure, but I've definitely been squatting more. I've definitely been hammering the delts and the tries for sure. So yes, how many it's on the uptick? How many times have you been peed on? So he is about to be two weeks old, four and a half, five times? Listen it listens. I know people have recommendations. There are tents that you can put over and you cover with a diaper or something like.
Speaker 1: That medical tent.
Speaker 2: Sure, it doesn't medical tent. It doesn't matter how quick you are or if you think your timing is right. You're quick and he doesn't pee and then you're like, I think we're safe. Now remove the diaper, and then the fire hose begins. So this is not going to be ending anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Will you be doing a dedication podcast like a cat Steven's Father and Son? Oh, where you're going to put this one in the vault so that the young and can listen when he turns of age.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I have a couple of friends actually who write letters to their kids some month just check in just to a vault, a little time thing. I don't have any audio plans at the moment, but that could change. Okay, what's time capsule.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Jody with an eye. Absolute champ. Not going into details about the labor, no, but she is. She did such a phenomenal job, total champ.
Speaker 1: So for those of you wondering, yeah, why weren't we in San Francisco for the championship? Why didn't we have a live show this January? Now, maybe you got some critical details to that question.
Speaker 2: Yes, so she was due like a week after the National Championship game. Was like, you know what, I'm just gonna stay in New York and not miss anything important.
Speaker 1: How about that? All right? Well, any other questions? I have a number of questions, but worried about the ninety minute mark here. All right, we'll spread it to another Q and A show, and I would like to field I would like to field questions from the verballerhood. Now that we are about this.
Speaker 2: I have I'm I'm extremely excited to talk about fatherhood after we talk about college football and shows.
Speaker 1: I have many many questions on this matter. Great, and I am excited to blitz you with them at the most inopportune moments, the way you do me with everything else. That's great.
Speaker 2: I am excited, and I imagine a very healthy percentage of our listeners have children, or at least a child, and to them, I say, I am much dumber than all of you. So I am very excited for anybody to write in with any questions and or if you have feedback, as it appears most parents do, if you got tips, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: We're going to be talking about the conception. I want play by play. We're going to be absolutely about teething, yep, potty train, all of this stuff. I'm right on the hook for this. Now.
Speaker 2: This is when our show got especially terrible yep, and it jumped the shark once the solid baby shut up.
Speaker 1: Now he's great. He is. He is fantastic.
Speaker 2: He's fun and according to all of his grandparents, exceptional and very smart for his age.
Speaker 1: Terrific. Dan, Yes, I also did ask you when we can close out with this. It was the most Darren ravel thing I've ever said in my life. If you had given any thought to the branding of the child, like how you would present your new son here on though.
Speaker 2: He has a first name in a middle name, yeah, that's about his deep The branding is actually before he was born. My mother in law who's a huge sports fan and extraordinarily thoughtful, made up a custom with our logo, fonts and colors and everything, and I'll post a picture of it once.
Speaker 1: He wears it. The Solid Baby onesie with a Rubinstein on the back. Nice.
Speaker 2: So the Solid Verbal and my wee son are going to be one and the same very soon the branding is complete, the Solid correct, the Solid Baby. All right, well, please join me out there in wishing my wonderful co host the most heartfelt congratulations here on this life event, the birth of your child. Very excited for you, man, that's great.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. I am very tired. All right, well, go get some sleep. Yes to all of you out there who listen to the whole thing, hope you enjoyed it. Please do write insoliverble at gmail dot com. Find us Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, also on Reddit, Reddit dot com, slash r slash soliverbal also anywhere you could find your podcasts, you can find The Solid Verbal. Be it Spotify, iTunes, Google Play, Stitch, or you name it. We're all over the place. We will be back in a week talk some college football and otherwise put in the meantime for that guy over there, Dan Rubency, new Father Dan Ruberstein for myself, Tie hilding Brand, Thanks again for tuning in. We'll catch you all soon. To me high, stay solid, peace,