Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Danielle Fishel.
Speaker 2: I'm Ryder Strong.
Speaker 3: And I'm Will Friedle.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Pod Meets World on Disney +. I'm Danielle Fishel.
Speaker 3: I'm Ryder Strong. And I'm Will Friedle.
Speaker 1: So this week, we are taking advantage of our brand new visual capabilities, and we are bringing you... Something, what?
Speaker 3: What are you going to say? Our brand new visual game. Like our ability to see?
Speaker 1: Their ability to see us.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's not like the technology's new.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: This new telephonic device, you can actually see what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Wow, you can see everything.
Speaker 1: It's called a television.
Speaker 3: Television.
Speaker 1: No, we're bringing you something that's not only for your ears, but for your eyeballs as well. We have invited artist and instructor Allison Lowe to the podcast with a hefty challenge in mind. Allison, welcome to our show. Thank you for having me. On a scale of one to the craziest people you've ever met, what is your first impression of us? You've been around us now for about 10 minutes. What do you think of the three of us so far?
Speaker 4: Well... I just hope the canvas gets covered.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 1: I think what she means is we have been all over the place and she's not wrong. So we are going to try our hardest to replicate one of Allison's Beautiful landscape pieces. Here it is for you to see as well. We do have some constraints, one of them being time. We don't have the entire day to do this.
Speaker 5: I would argue that none of us are artists is also a constraint as well.
Speaker 3: No artistic talent.
Speaker 1: I actually could say I have just no talent. Not just no artistic talent. So I'm really... This is really going, I, my stick figures are unrecognizable.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: If I were to draw a dog, you would not believe that that's the best version of a dog I could give you. Like, it's truly mind-boggling how bad of an artist I am. But at the end of this episode, Allison's going to look at our three paintings. She's going to give us her expert opinion and say who she thinks is.
Speaker 3: And we have a winner?
Speaker 1: We have a winner. Yeah, there's a winner.
Speaker 3: What do we win?
Speaker 1: Well, the respect and admiration of your peers.
Speaker 2: You mean the other two?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: 35 years, they're going to start respecting each other now?
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 1: I will say that we have... A painter in our midst.
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 3: Don't set me up for a failure.
Speaker 2: You've worked with paint before. I've literally touched paint like twice in my life.
Speaker 3: No, I've worked with paint before. Yes, definitely.
Speaker 1: You had a painting show on the internet for like three years.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yes. But it's painting miniature figures for Dungeons and Dragons, which is very different than painting this beautiful landscape.
Speaker 1: And you said you've touched paint twice. You've never painted before?
Speaker 2: I did during the pandemic when my family was locked up. We had like an extended family. There was like six of us in the house. And so we did a Bob Ross day and I was horrible.
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's no mistakes, Ryder.
Speaker 1: Just happy accidents.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm. I want to be like ASMR. I think that's what I'll just narrate what's happening with ASMR.
Speaker 3: Do you know the story of why Bob Ross never spoke up? Like always kept his voice level?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: Is because he was actually an army drill instructor. And he screamed and screamed and screamed for years at people. And when he retired, he said... I'm not doing that anymore.
Speaker 3: And he never raised his voice again.
Speaker 1: I love that. Half his life screaming, the other half of it whispering.
Speaker 2: Things you learn from Wilson.
Speaker 1: Well, for you, our dear listeners, you can head over to our Instagram at podmeetsworldshow and you can help pick a winner as well. Do you think one of us will be the next Alexandra Nikita? Would Ricky Ferris approve of any of our.
Speaker 3: As long as we're trying to be artistic, he'd approve. That's all that matters.
Speaker 2: I wish we had berets.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, I really wish we had berets.
Speaker 1: You should have taken this one step further.
Speaker 3: It's a bang in.
Speaker 4: Front of me.
Speaker 2: Beret in my head.
Speaker 1: My life is ready. For those of you who are only listening, we are going to look to Allison to verbally express some of what she sees.
Speaker 4: How bad we are. Yes.
Speaker 1: As you're going along.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, as you're going along, you can call out to people.
Speaker 2: That almost looks like a mountain.
Speaker 1: We've set up our little workstations here on set. Allison so kindly gave us some paint. Allison, will you walk us through what you gave us?
Speaker 4: Okay, I gave you basically a warm and a cool yellow, a warm and a cool red, a warm and a cool blue, and a violet. And white, of course.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: And so this way you can make all different shades of... of any color you want with those. Right, right.
Speaker 2: And do we add water to the paint?
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 3: You can, yes.
Speaker 4: And you can spray it if it starts getting dry, and it's up to you to decide how thin or thick you want it. You know, use the water. You each have your own water cup. And, yeah, I would start thinner, and then you can always work thick.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 4: If you put chunks of paint on, it's going to be hard. You're going to be fighting that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I feel like I have all the information I need to begin. Oh, you're going right. Oh, water in the middle.
Speaker 2: Water in the middle?
Speaker 3: Well, you can if you want.
Speaker 6: So as I advanced more as a mini painter, you go from a palette like this to more of a wet palette where everything is kind of a mass of water in the middle and you're pulling your paint through it.
Speaker 5: Which thins it but can also blend it a little better. But that's not for everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, all right. Allison, please.
Speaker 3: I'm just setting myself up for failure, by the way.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, let's go ahead and get started.
Speaker 4: And I would suggest first look at the seascape and start with the drawing in the horizon line so you kind of know from there and then start mapping in the larger shapes.
Speaker 1: That's a really good idea to do the horizon line first. I'm going to move this.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: I use Horizon and it just cuts in and out a lot of times.
Speaker 1: That's a Verizon.
Speaker 2: Close, though.
Speaker 1: Really close.
Speaker 4: Okay. And don't be afraid of whatever color you start on.
Speaker 1: I am afraid. Don't be afraid.
Speaker 4: No, no, because the paint, well, you can always layer on top. So don't worry. Don't think it has to be exactly.
Speaker 2: My Horizon already went up.
Speaker 4: We're going to fix that.
Speaker 3: You'll be able to fix that.
Speaker 4: Or maybe you'll like it. And look at the relationship of the rocks, the water, and kind of the angle that it's moving it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Guys, I am already– I would have already given up on this. I would be like, well, that was fun. I'm terrible at this. Not going to– The beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: Is the paint will dry– very quickly, like within minutes. And if you don't like something, you can literally go over it with another color or you can go over it with white and then begin again.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay. What do you do if you've accidentally touched the top of your canvas?
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: You broke it.
Speaker 2: Get out.
Speaker 6: Get out.
Speaker 2: You lose.
Speaker 4: Just try to pretend you're like a kid and you don't really care. That is the way to.
Speaker 3: That's one thing Danielle is really good at is just letting go.
Speaker 4: Your challenge today would be to actually let the colors touch.
Speaker 1: Okay. Like, how do I... Oh, that's what the cup of water's for if I want to get this color off of here?
Speaker 4: And that's why there's paper towel there, too, if you need to, like, dry off your brush.
Speaker 1: I love paper towel. Okay. Right.
Speaker 4: And the table is going to get messy. I'm glad you gave me purple. It's okay if it gets messy.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: No, no.
Speaker 1: It's not okay. It's messy.
Speaker 6: It's messy.
Speaker 3: It's not okay. It's a real problem.
Speaker 4: And once you get going on it, if you see like a dominant thing, like the blue of the ocean that's dominant, you can just mask that in and mix up a light blue and take the bigger brush and sort of mask it in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I'm so stressed. I do love purple. I was like really glad you gave me purple. And now I'm stressed about the fact that I picked purple.
Speaker 4: You can go over it with a different color.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 4: Just rinse off your brush.
Speaker 1: I'm also doing this as if like the time was that we had 45 seconds to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like racing.
Speaker 1: I'm like racing through it. And I guess I could take a little bit more time, you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I am concerned.
Speaker 4: Yes, but remember to spray the paint after a little while just so that it doesn't completely harden up on you.
Speaker 1: Right, that's my problem.
Speaker 3: So once you're outlined, then what would be the next kind of step? You've outlined the whole thing?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, so look at you.
Speaker 5: See?
Speaker 4: You're just more comfortable because you've done some painting.
Speaker 3: That's one thing I learned right away is you just can't be scared of it. You just gotta go in and do it.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, you've gotta be scared of it.
Speaker 4: So you would ask me what, so I would take the bigger brush and mass in the big, I call it shapes, but you might call it color. Okay, I see a big area of green. I see a big area of like a light blue.
Speaker 3: So start with, okay, gotcha, gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: I might stick with the smaller brush.
Speaker 4: And that might cover the canvas, because maybe part of what's intimidating is the idea it's a white canvas. So if that's what's intimidating you, just get your bigger brush and start really covering the canvas. And it just has to be a thin layer of color, but that might help break out of any concerns.
Speaker 1: Oh, can we just not do this anymore? This is just so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Oh my, you really, it's a control thing, huh?
Speaker 1: I don't like art. This is challenging.
Speaker 3: I don't like art.
Speaker 4: This is challenging.
Speaker 1: This is no, can we do word problems or math problems?
Speaker 3: Okay, if you add, Six plus eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now paint that.
Speaker 1: Okay. Does everyone here have a favorite painting? Allison, I'm assuming you have a favorite painting.
Speaker 4: I don't actually have a favorite painting.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have a handful of favorite painters. Okay.
Speaker 3: Are you more of the landscape variety?
Speaker 5: Are you more of a Monet kind of fan when it comes to the surrealism?
Speaker 3: Not surrealism, but the.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah.
Speaker 3: No, Monet is.
Speaker 4: Well, Monet is impressionist.
Speaker 3: Impressionist, that's what I meant, impressionist. Are you more from the impressionist school?
Speaker 4: Well, I started that way, but my favorite painter is a guy, his name is Wolf Kahn. He's my favorite landscape painter. He is a landscape painter, but he's really, his colors are what makes him stand out. If you look at any of his paintings, they're the most stunning colors, and he really challenges, that's what inspires him is to challenge himself using really colors that you wouldn't necessarily think go together. So he's my favorite landscape painter, but I have a lot of other painters that are not landscape, but I personally just, I've always been drawn to the landscape. So that's where I started and that's sort of where I'm always most comfortable.
Speaker 5: What's the farthest you've ever traveled to see a single painting?
Speaker 4: I think, well, I guess we were in London and Spain.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Ryder, do you have a favorite painting?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I've never really thought about it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I do love art.
Speaker 1: That's looking good.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: I got a compliment.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: That is looking good. You did really light.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like sketching.
Speaker 2: Like, I like sketching with a pencil.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just decided to start looking at this like I'm using this like a pencil.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: And that helped me, like, get over the fear of putting paint on it.
Speaker 3: You guys are all doing it.
Speaker 4: Did that help getting the horizon line in and starting from that place?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I would have been able to do it any other way. I mean, I still hate this. I still hate it.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What's the word? What's the word I'm looking for? This is not soothing.
Speaker 3: I loathe this.
Speaker 1: This is not soothing to me. This is like one of those things that if you, I guarantee you my, yeah, my heart rate is like through the roof.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And... Oh God, making brown is not going to be easy.
Speaker 1: No, brown, the color that you get when you mix all colors together is not good.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, that's as fun as like anything you mix together eventually will become brown. If you just mix a bunch of stuff together and then use your white to make it lighter or darker.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 3: You didn't ask me, by the way, Danielle.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Will.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite painting?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Great answer. Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Will.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite? Starry Night is my favorite. Is it?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You love the episode so much.
Speaker 4: Starry Night. Starry Night.
Speaker 3: I'm Mickey Ferris.
Speaker 1: Uh-huh.
Speaker 3: That's the way it is.
Speaker 1: Okay. I have other questions.
Speaker 4: Hold, please.
Speaker 3: Why are we doing this?
Speaker 1: I just got paint on the microphone. Sorry. Writer, what color would you say best represents you?
Speaker 5: God.
Speaker 4: Black.
Speaker 2: Are you answering for me? What color?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's hard to separate what color I like. I'm such a fan of blues. So I like blue and purple. My son's name is Indigo. I think Indigo is probably my favorite color. But I don't know if that represents me. I'm probably more like a forest green.
Speaker 1: Oh, you are a forest green. Yeah, you're a forest green.
Speaker 2: How do you get rid of a color that's on your brush?
Speaker 4: Just keep using the water.
Speaker 2: Just keep going?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not going away.
Speaker 4: And paper towel. And eventually it'll come off.
Speaker 1: I can't believe how fun it is to mix two colors and get another color.
Speaker 4: Isn't that great? It might blend into whatever color you put a little bit, but you might end up like that.
Speaker 3: Like science or whatever.
Speaker 1: Like science.
Speaker 4: Could you wipe it on the smock? I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to do that.
Speaker 3: Do you have a paper towel?
Speaker 2: Did I take way too much paint? Why did I end up with not being able to get your brush? Got a nice green color.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's what I was just saying. It's very satisfying to mix the two colors and start to see the new color that you make and then adjust it. That part was fun.
Speaker 2: I want a lighter.
Speaker 4: You know why you like that?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: Because you have a level of control.
Speaker 1: Ah, thank you.
Speaker 4: Just gathering this from what the three of you have been talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I don't know if you have your therapist license, but you're welcome to diagnose me. Yeah, you're right. That is why I liked it so much. It was nice because I was like, hey, I want green. I just made green. Well, what color do you think represents you?
Speaker 3: Represents me or is my favorite color?
Speaker 1: Represents you. But if you only want to tell me your favorite color.
Speaker 3: Well, my favorite color is green. Always has been.
Speaker 2: I think the color that maybe I'm a pretty happy guy and I like to bring.
Speaker 3: Joy to other people if I can. So I would say something like a nice sunny yellow.
Speaker 2: Probably represents me the best because I've been told I'm like sunshine on a cloudy day.
Speaker 1: When you're doing.
Speaker 4: The water, it's a big brush. So you really get it on the canvas.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 1: I am really unhappy with the line of my. My rocks over here. And I was, I was thinking I'd be able to change the, change the color of it, but I really didn't do a good job.
Speaker 4: You could let it dry for a few minutes and work in a different area. And then once it's dry, you can literally go over it completely and you wouldn't even know you had anything.
Speaker 1: I like that suggestion. Thank you.
Speaker 3: How about you, Danielle? What color most represents you?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I feel like in this case, my favorite color and a color that represents me is maybe both the same. And that's red.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: I feel like.
Speaker 3: Like the red you're wearing?
Speaker 2: Like a bright red?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a bright red. One, it's the color of anger.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: It's.
Speaker 4: The color of judgment.
Speaker 1: And also it can be like bright and kind of cheery. So it represents both. It's also just my favorite color to accessorize with.
Speaker 5: Um.
Speaker 1: What are you guys mixing to get, oh, you're doing a brown. I see what you're doing over there, Will, for the rocks.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like he's doing, I know.
Speaker 2: It's going dark.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a little bit of this. Is this the warm orange? Yes. Okay, I'm going to take a little bit of that warm orange and this white.
Speaker 4: It matches the color of your shirt.
Speaker 2: Sure does.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take some of that. I think I need a lot more white, though, to get something that represents something.
Speaker 4: Do you need more white paint or you have it? You just need to add it.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, I just need to use it on my brush. Will, do you think this is harder or easier than painting a minifig?
Speaker 3: It's easier on my eyes, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: The minifig, I had some of the best minifig teachers in the world that sat next to me for hours at a time to teach me, which, again, makes it a heck of a lot easier.
Speaker 1: No offense to you, Allison.
Speaker 3: No, I was just about to say, we get Allison, who's a great teacher, but we're having her here briefly, you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not only that, but we refuse to let her get up and move around because we won't hear her. She can't even get behind us and give us real proper instruction.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, this is.
Speaker 5: It's certainly easier to put paint on canvas than it is to put on a mini, but... The mini, it's like if you hit the steps, you know, you look up at the end and you're like, oh, I painted a mini.
Speaker 3: That's what I miss, steps. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Paint by numbers. I'd be all over, you know?
Speaker 2: I like paint by numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's basically what I've done.
Speaker 3: Color me mine is when you know you're on a bad date.
Speaker 1: No, or you have children.
Speaker 3: That's better, yeah.
Speaker 2: I've never done that.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: No, I've never done that.
Speaker 1: Oh, take Indy. He'd enjoy it. They have like all kinds of cute things you can paint. And my kids enjoyed it. We then forgot the items and left them there for weeks. And there was a possibility they weren't going to have them anymore.
Speaker 3: But they did.
Speaker 1: We went back and they had kept them for us. How do you think we're doing, Allison?
Speaker 4: Well, look, I think you guys are all doing well. I really do. But.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 1: There is no but.
Speaker 4: I like the fact that. Some are doing more natural. Some are doing more bright. Some are doing more bold colors. I mean, if you think about artists, right, it's like if everybody was doing the same thing, how boring it would be. Totally. Right?
Speaker 1: If everybody was good, it would be terrible.
Speaker 4: Some people like things more colorful. Some people like things more naturalistic. So I think that's part of the fun is getting to decide what direction you want to take it in.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: But all of you so far, honestly— And I like that you're all doing what we talked about, which is you're focusing more on the big shape, getting that in, and then you can go on with smaller details or darker or lighter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that was really good advice. Are you okay, Ryder? You just took a really deep breath.
Speaker 3: Deep sigh over here.
Speaker 4: That's just me.
Speaker 3: That was, whew.
Speaker 2: So my wife recently went to, a friend of hers had a birthday party.
Speaker 1: Uh-huh.
Speaker 2: Where she decided to hire a naked male model.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Easiest $ 20 I ever made. And they do the paintings that these women put together. Oh, right.
Speaker 2: It was one of the funny, because like, I don't think anybody really took it too seriously. So there were lots of really funny, but.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's good.
Speaker 3: Was anybody really good at it where it's like, damn, that's, that's great.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: No, no one was.
Speaker 4: That's actually really funny. That's actually a really funny.
Speaker 2: It was sort of like a, it was kind of like a bachelorette-y sort of vibe.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, it's a nice spin on the old bachelorette style.
Speaker 2: How do we get a naked man and have it be a fun activity?
Speaker 5: I ask myself that all the time.
Speaker 1: Will saying that was the easiest $ 20 I ever made.
Speaker 2: Made me laugh.
Speaker 5: Well, we originally negotiated for 40, then I took my top off and it dropped to 20 and stuff.
Speaker 1: If you could turn any moment of your life into a painting, which moment would you choose?
Speaker 3: My wedding.
Speaker 1: Oh, so sad.
Speaker 3: No, not to her.
Speaker 1: Oh. The one you're going to have next.
Speaker 3: The next one. No, yeah, my wedding. It was an amazing day. It really was. I would say next to getting Boy Meets World, it was the best day of my life. You know, wedding was the best day of my life.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 3: The wedding was the best day of my life, and then Boy Meets World came second.
Speaker 1: That is so sweet. One of those would be cool.
Speaker 2: I would say, do you remember when I talked about that morning where we found the hot springs?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was so beautiful.
Speaker 3: That's when you wish you knew how to paint, when it was just like.
Speaker 2: The landscape.
Speaker 4: Where were you?
Speaker 2: It was in Idaho, and it was a, yeah, it was, you were hiked in two miles, and it was a cascading series of waterfalls. That had, and there were, you know, 100 degrees going down to like 98 degrees. It was so amazing. Like, yeah. So it's just so cool to be in a waterfall that was warm.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: And beautiful. And it was up on a hillside looking down in a valley. So it's just gorgeous. So like, if I could paint that moment from the view or just capture the feeling of that place, it would be amazing to have.
Speaker 6: Hmm.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I can see that. How about you, Danielle?
Speaker 1: God, I don't know. You know, you guys have heard me say joke, even though you know it's not really a joke, that I don't love art. But I have grown to appreciate art a lot more, obviously.
Speaker 4: Jensen.
Speaker 1: Jensen, owned in our gallery for 20 years. And so I have, over the years of... being married to him, I have started to be able to enjoy art a lot more. So I have purchased on my own several paintings that hang in our house.
Speaker 3: One by McCracken, right?
Speaker 1: One by the one and only Jeff McCracken even, which was very cool and special to me. The one I got from McCracken is actually of a boy he saw on the subway that was carrying a Spider-Man mask. And it just so reminded me of my son, Keaton, who was such a costume kid. He wore costumes like all the time. So I would definitely want to, I would want to pick some moment of children, but I don't really know that I've, that I've had a moment that I feel like would be worthy of a painting. But you know what? I take it back. You know what I want to remember of my kids forever? Their disgusting little lovies. You know those things they sleep with?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: And they're completely mangled. And like, you know, like my ba that you guys horrendously made fun of.
Speaker 3: Just because it looked like testicles.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know.
Speaker 3: You slept with balls.
Speaker 1: I know. That is what you've said. How dare you besmirch my ba. But I would love like a good painting of their little.
Speaker 5: Loveys.
Speaker 4: You guys, I'm challenging you all to take the big brush and get more of the canvas covered.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: Just because then you can relate the colors next to each other. It's like, you know when you're getting dressed and you put on one color, but then you put on pants and they either work together or you're like, oh God, no, that's not going to work.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: And so if you think about it like something that you've already do where you are looking at color next to color, it's the same thing with painting. So when you have a lot of white canvas... It's scary. And it's hard to see the painting as a whole unit. So that's why I said take the big brush, and you could just use a thin coat of any color.
Speaker 2: I don't know. My painting's not going to make it into the Louvre.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to follow my muse. Unfortunately, it seems like I'm not good at this.
Speaker 2: What am I going to do? Too wussy for sports. And I spent all this money on this beret.
Speaker 3: I spent all this money. I'm embarrassed. I'm at the Louvre.
Speaker 1: Alison, that is a reference to a character who was on Boy Meets World named Ricky Ferris.
Speaker 3: Ricky Ferris?
Speaker 4: He was an artist.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you've heard of him.
Speaker 1: Especially Ryder and Will just perfected his affectation.
Speaker 2: Puppies that I'm going to save.
Speaker 4: Ferris.
Speaker 3: I'm going there specifically to create a new type of art. That'd have saved souls.
Speaker 2: That's Ricky.
Speaker 3: You know what Ricky's doing nowadays.
Speaker 1: What do you think Ricky's doing? What do you think Ricky would think of our paintings?
Speaker 5: Five to ten.
Speaker 1: Five to ten?
Speaker 4: Is that helping? Getting some color next to the other colors?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. More than anything, it's making me feel like, hey, I'm almost done. I'm not going to have to do this for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: How much time do we.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've been doing this for 26 minutes. Are you serious?
Speaker 4: This is why I'm saying you've got to get the canvas covered.
Speaker 1: Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 5: Wait.
Speaker 4: You guys are concentrating. That's what happens. Time flies.
Speaker 3: It goes fast when you're in the art world.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe what I just looked. I just looked over and looked at Will. I mean, I'm disgusted. Will is so good.
Speaker 3: Oh, wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: Not quite.
Speaker 4: I'm too short to say. Oh, there you go.
Speaker 1: Look at his. Look what he's got over there.
Speaker 4: I have confidence. You guys are all going to pull yours together once the canvas is covered.
Speaker 1: Well, don't have too much confidence. How do you like to paint? Do you have like a studio, Allison? Do you stand?
Speaker 4: I always stand, yeah. I work out of my house, and then twice a week I go to an open studio where there are other artists there. And it's a fun way to be able.
Speaker 3: To be with other people.
Speaker 4: It is cool.
Speaker 3: Are you all different types of artists?
Speaker 4: Yes. That's kind of what's fun though. It's like, it's just nice to like socially be with other people and other artists. And even if your work is really different, you kind of speak the same language. Right. Right. But yeah, the rest I work out of my house. I've always worked out of my house and it's, it's.
Speaker 3: Have you been painting your whole life?
Speaker 4: I started painting my senior year of college. I had been drawing and doodling around. I'd never taken a class. But then in college, I went the other way. I became completely obsessed.
Speaker 3: So you didn't go to school specifically for art?
Speaker 4: No, I went to George Washington University in DC and I was, but when I had to declare a major, I was a fine art or history major. And then when you're that major, so if I was a studio arts major, I would have to like pick a subject like painting or sculpture or something. But since I didn't even know what I wanted to do, I was like, oh, I'll be a fine art and art history major. And then I can take a little of everything. You didn't have to like declare one thing. And so painting was the last actual type of medium I did. But I became obsessed with it as soon as I don't even know why I wasn't doing it sooner. I just was like, this is exactly my thing. Because I like making a mess. I love working with color and the subtleties of color and using the brush and.
Speaker 3: Do you do anything else? Do you sculpt or?
Speaker 4: I've done, yes, I've done sculpture. I used to do some figurative sculpture. Painting is my main thing. I do a lot of printmaking too. And I used to do a lot of, and a collage, but I always go back to painting. I just love it.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: All right. All right. All right.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I see you.
Speaker 3: We see you, Danielle.
Speaker 1: Okay, she was for sure right on the fact that now that the canvas is mostly... Doesn't that help?
Speaker 4: It really does. Because then you can relate what's next to it.
Speaker 1: Yes, and now I'm like, oh, I can see now how I can go in. I've got to.
Speaker 4: Get to my rocks. Yeah, and when you look at my painting, you can see where there are really dark, darks, and then you can start putting that in because you have something to relate it to.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: And some of the first things you've painted, if you wanted to go over them or change them, now they probably are dry or somewhat dry. Yeah, close enough to dry. To be honest, with acrylic, I work more in oil, but these are acrylics. But that's one of the fun things with acrylics is if I don't like something, I just let it dry. And then I go over white paint and I just completely remove it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is nice that you can. Because I've thought about that before. Like what happens when an artist has like a huge canvas they're working on? What happens if you, like, sneeze and make a mistake?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's got to be a mistake.
Speaker 1: But so depending on what the medium is, I guess you're just saying you can go back through and fix it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Or, I mean, I think that also you could make the most of the mistake. It depends on, like, you know, your personality and the type of painting you like to do. But a lot of times, like, I'll drop a brush while I'm painting. It'll, like, fall, you know, while I'm, and so it leaves marks on the canvas. And I'm like, oh, I must have been, I must, there must be some kind of subconscious thing and I'll try to work with.
Speaker 2: It ooh let the mistakes land exactly oh my god okay.
Speaker 4: I have to say it it is hard to judge because you guys are I honestly feel like all of you guys there's something in all of yours that's that's fun and that I like that they're all a little different. Like I said, just these few minutes of hearing you guys talk and hearing bits about your personality, I can kind of see it through painting.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that.
Speaker 2: Psychoanalyze us based on our painting.
Speaker 1: It's like a Rorschach.
Speaker 3: She's going to look at writers and be like, wow, that's really pretty. I like the colors. Oh, Danielle, it's really interesting what you did. Will, who hurt you?
Speaker 4: Got your brown in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Figure it out.
Speaker 4: This painting I did, it's from Carmel. And you can go walk, you know, and jump on all the rocks. It's fun.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should take the podcast there, guys. Go visit this landscape.
Speaker 2: We'd just be.
Speaker 3: Walking around and be like, those are our paintings. They recognize that. We were great. Nailed it.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you think makes something great art?
Speaker 3: How much it costs.
Speaker 1: Is it the more expensive it is?
Speaker 5: Okay. It's like, that's good art. I can tell because it's $ 7 million.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: No, I think art is the most subjective thing in the world. So whatever speaks to you is art.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And there's plenty of conversations I can have with people about that ain't art.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, it's like comedy where I hate when people say like, that guy's not funny.
Speaker 5: Well, if he's got people laughing and you don't find him funny, then you don't find him funny.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So art's just one of those things where I, you know, yeah, there's some art I just don't get, never will. Um, that doesn't mean that it's not art. It just means that I don't get it. So yeah, I don't, I don't know to answer your question.
Speaker 1: Um, what do you think if it speaks to you? What, what speaks to you?
Speaker 3: I love, um, I'm a big fan of sculpture. I always have been.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, and I like ancient sculptures.
Speaker 5: I love when I, you know, I, we talk about how I have no soul and don't really, uh, Cry or do anything.
Speaker 3: The closest I've come to tears in.
Speaker 5: The actual presence of art was turning the corner and standing in front of Michelangelo's David.
Speaker 4: Me too, man.
Speaker 3: And it was just like, it knocked the wind out of me. There was no way a human being could have done that.
Speaker 2: You guys love men. Naked men.
Speaker 1: Love men.
Speaker 3: That beautiful man?
Speaker 4: Damn right.
Speaker 2: It was just so, it's such a crazy scale experience. You're like, wait a minute, that's a giant person. And I feel small, but somehow like he's also kind of vulnerable.
Speaker 3: It's like the weirdest.
Speaker 2: It's such a crazy experience.
Speaker 3: You know why he has such a small penis?
Speaker 5: What? Because back in the day, anything with big genitalia usually meant you were in league with the devil. Oh.
Speaker 3: Or there was something about you that was lascivious.
Speaker 5: So the smaller the penis, the closer you were to God.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: Which is why I'm such a holy person.
Speaker 1: Okay, Will.
Speaker 3: What am.
Speaker 1: I doing? What is Ricky Ferris doing?
Speaker 3: Right now, Ricky's. Trying to help little children in the streets of Paris. How dare they?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Honest question. What do you think Ricky Ferris would be doing? What would the character of Ricky Ferris end up doing?
Speaker 1: Well, do you think he was a success moving to Paris? No. No. All right.
Speaker 2: Couldn't win over Topanga.
Speaker 3: Couldn't cut it.
Speaker 2: I think he was a poser.
Speaker 3: I think he was too.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he went home with his tail between his legs to mommy and daddy after his failed.
Speaker 2: Allowance ran out. I also just kind of stopped looking at him. Oh, really?
Speaker 1: You're just starting to do your own thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it freed me up more to follow my own logic.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 1: Allison, how do you feel about that? When a student just says, you know, instead of trying to replicate what's in front of me, I'm going to do my own thing.
Speaker 4: Well, in his case, I don't necessarily mind it because you're still staying with the essence of it. It's not like you went from like, oh, I'm just going to completely go over this and I'm going to do something that's not at all reminiscent of a seascape. So I actually recently started doing that because I found that I was getting too literal. So I got to a point where I mapped in sort of the scene and the design and then I purposely stopped looking at the image.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's kind of the way.
Speaker 4: You know, again, it's like you start to figure out, like, am I more of a realistic painter? Do I really want to represent that particular place or do I want the essence of it? And then, of course, the more you're doing it, you get more confident where you feel like, OK, I like, you know, I like working with these colors more. I like working with warmer tones or cooler tones or so.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Have you ever worked with somebody and then said, you know, no, this is not for you. I give up.
Speaker 4: No, I've never said that. Okay.
Speaker 6: Never.
Speaker 3: Have you ever thought it?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: No, there's a first time for everything.
Speaker 4: I think that people have to get comfortable and some people are comfortable right out of the gate and some people it takes time to loosen up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is this the first time you've ever had people paint with the microphones and sitting in bar stools? I've never done anything like this.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, other than a couple of times at home, this is the only way I've painted. Yeah, I bet, exactly. It's on camera with a microphone in front of me.
Speaker 2: I got into drawing with Indy, like when, you know, just, because I never thought of myself as like somebody who could draw.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 2: And like sitting with Indy when he was younger, especially, you know, like before he could really like, Gage in a lot of conversations. I guess he was always a talker, but like we would just sit and I would draw and he would draw and it was so fun. Like, and I found it incredibly meditative.
Speaker 4: It is. Yeah. It absolutely is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was not even the mini penny. You just kind of put on some music and just let go a little bit.
Speaker 2: And it's a ton of fun.
Speaker 5: And of course, the cool thing about the mini figs is when you're done, then you use them in a campaign.
Speaker 3: You throw it on the table and you're like, I painted that.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of letting go. It sounds great.
Speaker 2: As long as you're completely in control of your letting go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is low risk. I mean, this is a very low risk thing.
Speaker 3: Except for all the judgment from the internet.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And it's very high risk.
Speaker 4: I guess I didn't think about that.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's okay.
Speaker 4: I can understand.
Speaker 1: No, we don't care.
Speaker 3: None of us are painters.
Speaker 1: And I'm not trying to prove you otherwise.
Speaker 3: Exactly. And no one's going to look at this and go, wait a minute, you could be.
Speaker 1: Wait, you could be.
Speaker 3: No. You've got the possibility.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be fun, though?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that be amazing to have an undiscovered talent? Or just, in my case, a talent? Wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 4: You're talented.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not. You honestly don't think it takes talent to host? No. Oh, then anyone could do it. That's bull.
Speaker 2: What about acting?
Speaker 3: Directing?
Speaker 5: She'll never think she's an actor. I think you're directing as talent. And if anybody could host... everybody would host.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: Sometimes when something comes easy, you don't realize how, how it's really challenging.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know I have figured out at this point that like, I've heard from enough people that reading teleprompter isn't easy for everyone. And it's like when the three of us get in front of a teleprompter, it's like, Oh, what a, what a, what a dream. And then you hear from people and they're like, wow, you're really good on prompter. It's like, yeah, I, I know how to read, but that's apparently not, not common. So I, I've, I've heard that enough times to go.
Speaker 2: You also can do the thing where somebody is like, Oh wait, we got two minutes. Talk to the camera.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Go sell this thing real quick. Go talk. And you just do it.
Speaker 2: Whereas like, I would be like, what? No, I can't. I have no.
Speaker 5: By the time we leave your house, for some reason, we've all owned new products.
Speaker 3: And we're like, how the hell did she sell us this? I don't even have a cat.
Speaker 1: Oh, wow. That is so interesting how then once it's dry, you can just go right over it with another color. And it's like it never was even there.
Speaker 4: Wow. And it takes a lot of stress off because you know you really can fix it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You're like, oh, okay. Well, I don't like it now, but I'll like it in 20 minutes. Or I'll at least find it acceptable in 20 minutes. Okay. Oh, I know what I need more work on for sure.
Speaker 3: Your people skill?
Speaker 4: My people, exactly. My hosting.
Speaker 1: What'd you say, Marita?
Speaker 2: I completely screwed up the bottom right of my painting.
Speaker 1: How so?
Speaker 2: Like, I just don't even know what this shape is. It's not even part of it. It's like, I finished my painting here, and I still have, like.
Speaker 1: A whole other.
Speaker 2: So, I'm just kind of making up my landscape.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 4: Well, if you think when you're walking on rocks in the water, a lot of the dark is, you know, when you're looking straight down, you kind of see the seaweed or the rocks below or underneath the water. And that this being from Northern California, there's that the colors in the seaweed are really burgundy and yellowish. purples and blues and greens because the water is so cold. So the type of seaweed is a little bit different than there is down here. Or actually, I'm sorry, I live near San Diego, so I'm thinking like down near San Diego, it's really quite different. It's more of a turquoise. And so from the painting that I was doing, when you're kind of at those foreground rocks, you're also sort of looking down underneath them.
Speaker 1: I think if I had my druthers, I would have all the individual paint colors on their own plate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: I love druthers. We don't get a lot of druthers anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm bringing it back. I love a good druthers.
Speaker 2: The druthers brothers.
Speaker 4: If you feel like, look at the movement of it. If you feel like you've kind of lost the initial drawing a little bit, you can always go back in with paint and kind of get that in if you feel like part of it got lost throughout the painting process.
Speaker 1: You mean the mountainscape?
Speaker 4: Like if you feel like you've lost some of the shape that you, some of the shapes you had or the scale of it, if something was bigger and then it kind of shrunk, that has a tendency to happen when you're painting, like you're painting around the thing and it starts getting smaller. So you can always go back in and sort of redraw it in with your paint. That's why I like drawing in with paint rather than with a pencil because it's all working cohesively.
Speaker 1: Hmm. What did you do? What's a mistake?
Speaker 2: Too much yellow.
Speaker 3: And it was all yellow. And it was all yellow.
Speaker 1: Well, I just realized I'm missing a whole rock. A whole rock. Just forgot all about a rock.
Speaker 4: You may not need it, but yeah. Because this is a smaller canvas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: It's between that and a hard place. Good night, everybody.
Speaker 1: Good night.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, you're right. Maybe I don't need it.
Speaker 2: Should we stop?
Speaker 1: I think we can. You want to set a one-minute timer?
Speaker 4: Sure, one minute.
Speaker 3: One minute.
Speaker 6: I want.
Speaker 3: To take a class.
Speaker 2: I want to, like, learn how to.
Speaker 5: And I bet it's unfortunate because you're here to teach us, but you can't really get up and teach us. And you must be, it must be driving you crazy over there.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm trying to like, I'm trying to see where you guys are at. And I know we have such a limited time. So I'm very, I understand that this is not going to be, you know, you're not going to get it in perfectly. Not that there is a perfect, but you know, and it's hard to go into all of the little things that I would do in it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: But I think, to me, the most important thing is that you are having some form of fun. Yeah, I've had a lot more fun now that I've... And you do kind of get lost in it, and then you start to have more fun the more you're doing it, because you start to, like, get comfortable with the brush and the paint and, you know.
Speaker 1: I'm putting up my... I'm putting down my paintbrush.
Speaker 4: You're calling it time.
Speaker 1: I'm calling time.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to call it two.
Speaker 3: Ooh!
Speaker 2: I think Will won this.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's not even a doubt, but we're not the judge.
Speaker 4: I have to say, first of all, I like, believe it or not, and I'm not just making this up. I always, I feel like because I'm seeing the first go around, you all have something in them. Yours are more realistic and more tonal. Yours are the opposite. Yours are more of a colorist. That's how it's coming out in there. Yes. And yours are more natural. Like, they feel natural to the scene.
Speaker 2: And earthy.
Speaker 4: And earthy. So I feel like, you know, that's what... And I like that all of you guys did what we talked about, which is you got the horizon line. See how you started to get the scale of the rocks and the movement of it? So you all have the movement. It's very... Do I really have to pick something?
Speaker 1: Oh my God, Will is.
Speaker 3: I'm covered in paint. I'm covered in paint.
Speaker 5: The life of an artist is covered in paint.
Speaker 3: Look at you, get away from me. Hug Ricky Ferris.
Speaker 4: What is the winner based on? The best?
Speaker 1: Who's the best?
Speaker 2: Who's the best?
Speaker 1: No, you're right. I mean, it is hard to pick a winner. Maybe we could let the internet decide since they won't have a problem judging us.
Speaker 4: I would prefer that because it's hard for me because also I like to see something in all of them and I really do.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 3: Should we show the camera?
Speaker 1: And it is kind of, don't you think it's kind of.
Speaker 4: Fun that yours are all different? You're here putting the same thing and you have the same colors. You had all the same, but your choices are different.
Speaker 1: It feels very representative of us as well, actually.
Speaker 3: I think they do, actually. It's so weird.
Speaker 2: Well, it just feels like our styles, like in life, actually.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Yay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think of the three of us, I wear the most bright colors. I gravitate to color the most. You choosing earthy, natural colors. things go so well with who you are as far as like your love of the outdoors and you being a realist and painting it the most realistic.
Speaker 3: I guess that works.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. I get that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm proud of all of us. I'm proud of us. Thank you, Allison. Thank you, Allison. Allison's too kind to choose a winner, but we know you will not have a problem deciding a winner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So tell us who you think was the best painting. And thank you all for joining us. We hope you get out and get painting. Do something creative and artistic.
Speaker 2: You know what? This is weird. Look at mine through. I like it through the canvas.
Speaker 3: That's actually pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's what I was looking at.
Speaker 3: Yes. You can't really see mine through the canvas.
Speaker 2: How do we do that? or the audience, I don't know if we can, but like, I almost like it better through.
Speaker 3: There, it looks more. I like it better from the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know why, you know what's interesting?
Speaker 4: Because if you think about water coming into rocks, what happens, they kind of pool around, and so you're seeing the white.
Speaker 3: Of it pooling around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it ends up looking more like that's, yeah, that's kind of what.
Speaker 3: I wanted to see.
Speaker 5: So the back of your paintings always look better than the front of your paintings, interesting.
Speaker 4: You see the values working. Value is how much light, like the rocks are that warmer, lighter, and the dark. Yeah, and your shapes, your silhouette.
Speaker 5: Of the rocks.
Speaker 2: Because I put on a lot of paint.
Speaker 3: I put on layers of paint, that's why.
Speaker 1: Wow, I can't believe how great your ocean looks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's beautiful. Gosh.
Speaker 1: Really nice.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right, everyone. Vote for Will.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: Allison, thank you so much for being here with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us. We hope we didn't ruin your pants.
Speaker 1: Allison Lowe, I want to give everyone where they can find you. You can find Allison at AllisonLowe underscore art. There is one L in Allison, and Lowe is L-O-W-E. So you can check her out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's on my Instagram, or I do a website. I haven't updated it lately, but it's AllisonLoweArtwork.com.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: Go check out the website.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: All right, guys.
Speaker 1: I'm proud of us.
Speaker 2: Congratulations. I'm proud of us.
Speaker 3: This is good.
Speaker 1: Allison, you're the greatest.
Speaker 2: High five.
Speaker 1: We'll see you all next time.