Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription past that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: It's very difficult to keep the line between the past and the press.
Speaker 3: You believe that someone out of the past can enter and take possession of a living be We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the next Picture Show A movie the Week podcasted to a classic film and the way it shaped our thoughts on a recent release.
Speaker 5: I'm Keith Phipps here.
Speaker 6: With Tasha Robinson and Scott Tobias.
Speaker 5: Our radio co host Genevieukoski. We're sorry.
Speaker 4: Report is currently suffering from a kryptonite related illness. We're hoping for a speedy recovery. In our last episode, we discussed True Grit, Joel Nathan Cohen's adaptation of Charles Porters's novel about a girl seeking vengeance or justice, and the drunken law man who reluctantly.
Speaker 5: Helps her in her search.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of true grit DNA and Supergirl, Woman of Vengeance and comics mini series written by Tom King with art by a book with Evily that's the primary aspiration for the new film Supergirl. In both Superman's cousin carz Orrel, best known as Supergirl and played in the film by Millie Alcock, is roped into aiding a girl named Ruthie played by Eve Ridley after a barbaric outlaw named Krim played by Matthia Shannart kills Ruthie's family tried to make Craig Gillespie. For a script by Anna Nogurerira, the Supergirl turns outer space into a cosmic version of the American West to tell a familiar story in a new way.
Speaker 5: Does it work? We'll talk it over after the break.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. My cousin and I have very different ideas what it means to be a hero. He sees the good, Nevermoe, and I see the truth.
Speaker 6: The bricks.
Speaker 2: Brought destruction.
Speaker 6: To every corner of the universe. The galaxy must be defended.
Speaker 5: You cannot give up on me, all right, So I'll last again, does it work are a super Girl? I don't think it does that well. I think it's fine. I think it's okay.
Speaker 4: Actually, I think my my daughter kind of nailed this better than I did. Was like it's it's like an okay later MCU film right where it's like it's fine, you know, but it's almost like, but it's disappointing in relation to how fresh Superman felt and how much like, oh, it's a whole different take on this genre, whereas this try some interesting new things or some new things or newish things, but it doesn't feel in any way like it has like a fresh take on the superhero film. It's sort of my main thing. There's things I like about the film. Ultimately, I gave it like three stars out of five. But all the films we're like, oh, that's pretty good, and then you spend the next few days thinking about all things didn't work about it.
Speaker 5: That's my experience anyway. What about what about you guys?
Speaker 6: I mean that pretty much nails it as far as it does it work. I think it works fine as kind of shaggy dog story about a couple of gals in the galaxy, you know, punching some guys and being punched by some guys. As anything else, like maybe as a sort of an origin story for the new DCU version of Supergirl. It works fine as a story about vengeance or justice or superheroism or hero ordinary heroism, or you know, helping people through difficult times or grief, you know, all of these things that specifically King and Everly's version we're doing the movie does the broader, dumber, and often in very self contradictory fashion. So you know, in the end, I the word that I hear people describe it using to describe this movie more than any other is okay, isn't Yeah it was okay? And that was kind of my take too, was yeah it was okay. And then as you say, you start thinking about it and you're like, well, okay, except for this part that doesn't make much sense, or this part that doesn't really land, or this part that kind of comes out of nowhere, or wow, this part that's actually really pretty damn ugly when you think about it.
Speaker 5: Scott, I think you are on the less than okay side of yes.
Speaker 3: I I think I mean, I would say maybe on the fence leaning backwards kind of it would be where I go it's fine, it's fine, And I think I think you know, Keith, your daughter great insight there. I think I think kind of in that later you feel but also but I also think more damningly, specifically in the late mode in that and that you worry that James Gunn, who is hired to kind of take DC into a new direction, is kind of injecting that formula into DC rather than kind of take it to somewhere new. This feels very rote to me, this film, this adventure, and nothing just it doesn't, you know. I think one, I think Ruthie does nothing for me as a character. I think that character needs in the performance too, frankly, a lot more juice than it has. I think I think it's a very passive character. And I think that hurts the film because because you need somebody who's going to be for super Girl really ping off, and that doesn't really happen, like really to billi alos Cox credit. She certainly has plenty of charisma and gravitational force, but but I think that the film doesn't have the balance that it needs in that in that regard, and I think there's there's just kind of a missed opportunity there, and I think Manila Darter's review kind of hits on this too is like the Supergirl kind of hits us at a good time tonally, because yeah, we feel superhero fatigue, and that is the defining characteristic of this character, who is just like do I have to do? Do I have to do any of this? Can I just drink and just not just ignore all of this all of this burdensome stuff. And I think I think that there's almost a meta connection that we have with that character, but it's just not exploited as effectively as you as you would want, like all across the board, like they think there's I think her brief appearance in Superman carried more punch than I think is delivered in this movie. I was disappointed that Crypto, who was who was absolutely one of the highlights, if not the highlight of Superman is is uh, you know, gets gets injured, you know, and it is not in the movie for a long stretch of the film.
Speaker 6: We're not gonna agree on that one. Scott, Sorry you don't like the dog.
Speaker 5: I love the dog.
Speaker 6: There was so much Crypto in Superman that I think if he had been nearly as front and center here it would have stopped being the DCU and started being the case. Yeah, exactly, oh case.
Speaker 5: I thought she said maybe K nine Cinematic Universe.
Speaker 6: I don't know, it does not start with the K.
Speaker 4: I think the one thing we're all kind of agreen on those is million Alcock's really good in this.
Speaker 6: Oh, she's great.
Speaker 4: She has a better sense of who the character is than the script does, and what consistency there is to that character from seeing the scene comes entirely from that performance.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I think she's terrific on this, and just you.
Speaker 6: Know, all of the all of the draw towards the character. You know, there's a kind of like there's a party girl energy and also a weary exhaustion and like layers of of grief and frustration and anger. That kind of getting ahead of myself here a little bit. But one of the things I was talking about with true Grit, with the Cohen's True Grit is a sense that you don't need to know too much about any of the three main characters to know a lot about the history of the three main characters. You know, you can see their histories in the way they interact with the world. And I think she brings in a lot of that as well. So maybe it's a little bit of a shame that we spend quite as much time as we do detailing all of that backstory, But she's the only one that comes with that weight. Like literally everybody else, including the other character whose backstory we see play out, it's just kind of a one note, one element thing, you know, a prop for her to interact with, and watching this three dimensional character interact with a two dimensional world just isn't always very interesting. As Scott says, she needed a better world to ping off of and she doesn't get it here, and.
Speaker 3: Ultimately too this is again important when you're when you're really trying to assert yourself as a brand, as a personality or something. It's just is to get a director who can give you that. I mean, what is it, Craig Gillespie, film folks, what is it?
Speaker 5: What are we looking at?
Speaker 3: I mean, you look at this guy's filmography. You know, it's kind of he's kind of pretty good at doing you know, he does kind of this real life to screen thing with like Ititanyan with Pam and Tommy, which it was was the TV show that our friend Rob wrote that he was directing. Uh so he's going back between the two mediums he did Cruella, you know, mister Woodcock or whatever. He's giving what was he giving you Stylistically, He's giving you a lot of attitude. He's not giving you a whole lot of distinctive style. And again I will say it's fine. I mean, I think it's Corolla is okay. It's all the wall music though, if I recall, But.
Speaker 4: Krella is part of why I was kind of looking forward to this movie though, because it's far better than I don't think it's a great film, but it's far better than a sort of a what was the word brand a deposit.
Speaker 5: You know, live action version of a character that.
Speaker 4: Didn't seem to need her own movie was like, it actually has like a fair amount of depth to that character. I think the biggest flaw is, like I like that Corilla. It's enough that I don't want her to turn into the Karrella from her one telemage. Yeah, but it's kind of interesting to take on on on, you know, trying to how to work with a character like that, and I don't really get that from Supergirl at all.
Speaker 6: This is also the director of Lars and the Real Girl, and I think it Tanya actually is like a movie with a stylistic point of view. I kind of feel like he got sucked into the Hollywood machine and you know this, this movie to me is just ersatz James Gunn. He uses a lot of same visual tricks, camera tricks, especially the three sixty spin camera during a battle scene which we get a bunch here, which is a big gun signature. So I feel like he's evolved from a much more distinctive filmmaker into you know, somebody who's producing stuff for the machine that the machine wants.
Speaker 3: It reminds me a little bit of you can't help but think of the Mandalorian and Grogo from earlier this summer in the sense that you have yeah, with James gun does come out.
Speaker 5: It sure did.
Speaker 6: I definitely can stop myself from thinking of it. I had already forgotten about that movie Computed.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I think the idea though, is like both scenarios, you know, with with James Gunn and and kind of these new DC movies coming out, and then and then Dave Filonian and that that gang taking over Star Wars. It's just it's just like we're gonna clean things up. Things have gone astray with these you know, beloved important franchises. We're gonna we're gonna put in a new direction. And it's like you feel no extra life at all with something like the Mandalorian Grogu and here you know that that initial bit of juice she got from James Gunn has just settled into something that feels so familiar and so mediocre and so risk averse, and uh, you know, I think that was that's kind of just ends up being disappointed because it was super goal is what it could have been, because you have this character at at center, and you have an actress who are irreverent and powerful and kind of cool and have an attitude that I think you might be able to kind of engage with that fatigue that of course we're feeling watching these movies. But then the reality is that you're given kind of a mediocre adventure in both this case and in the Mandalorian and gro Goup, and.
Speaker 6: It's a mediocre adventure with just a lot of the you know it is handa put it with. This mediocre adventure has all the problems of like the mediocre late stage MCU movies, one of which is a really unmemorable villain who just does not have a lot going on except gra gra I, eat babies and rape children.
Speaker 5: I think that's performance too.
Speaker 6: I I don't know what he could have done with that little material that would have stood out. Like he's basically an extra for Mad Max and that's that's all the script gives him. You know, he has no philosophy, he has no point of view, he has no there's nothing about him that's interesting. And that's one of the biggest disappointments from adapting King Evily's mini series is just that character was so defined and so different and interesting. His motives were interesting. I truly don't know what KREM's motivations are in this movie beyond burn it all down. He kicks off the action, yeah, exactly. He kicks off the action by showing up at Ruthie's father's place to steal all of his like Universe class super swords, and then they don't even use any of them. They just kind of hang them up. And maybe that's meant to, you know, indicate a certain amount of like, you know, Potlatchian attitude towards towards things like he didn't do this so he could be the best swordsman in the galaxy. He did this because somebody had something he wanted. And then you know, he killed everybody in sight. But that's not interesting, and the Cram of the comics mini series has a point of view and has a reason for what he did and only killed Ruthie's father as opposed to mask herring her entire family and burning down their farm, and it had nothing to do with swords. It's just it's a much more interesting and nuanced take on the story and the character. Here everything is flattened out up to an including Lobo, who is just a character I have never found particularly interesting, and here really only seems to be inserted awkwardly into the middle of this story so we can say, hey, here's this guy. Later, when we have a movie that's just him, you'll know who he is. He's that guy that was in Supergirl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Superman did that much more gracefully, like introduced like a bunch of actors that presumably we'll see in later DC movies. But it felt like it was doing it as part of the story it was being told, where it's like this, he feels so shoveled in and like, yeah, Lobo shows up in the comics for like one issue, is like, oh, that's kind of Lobo's kind of fun. But then you know, Lobo Alstaates is welcome, and that's that's that's that's no good. And basically Alstaates is welcome by being in this movie. I don't really love. I'm kind of a Jason momoas skeptic, I guess in some ways. And I just felt like this was way way too many like beefy dudes who are doing the same thing. We got to dial back back, Yeah, you got to dial back and like yeah, And I was really excited. I know Tom King's a divisive writer, both for what he writes and for his background. No ways, no way to get into that gracefully in this podcast, but I do. I really loved this mini series and part of that was part of why I was excited about this film. And then when you look at the changes made, particularly to the ending of the film, which is basically, hey, Supergirl and pals go off and have his space adventure versus a very interesting bit of moral reckoning and so a lot of ambiguity in the in the end of the Comics mini series. Yeah, it was. It's definitely felt like something that had been reduced. And also the late introduction of this whole like Fury Road, We're going to uh traffic in these women and they must be saved thing. It's like, you know, that's that felt like just sort of like we got to RAISEI stake somehow.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't know. Again, It's fine, but it's also frustrating.
Speaker 6: It feels like a nineties superhero movie. It feels like we've gone back like several generations of you know, iterations and developments on what superheroes can be. And I don't know, there's a kind of nineties like nihilism too. I mean, first of all, the Lobo, who was created earlier but kind of you know, became a to the degree that he's an iconic figure like that that all came out of his nineties reinvention to you know, Supergirl in the end of this movie consciously choosing murder, which is something that was hugely, hugely controversial when Superman did it in the Zack Snyder verse, to the degree that it took over a lot of the conversation about that movie. And here to me kind of is presented almost as proof that Supergirl is not Superman, which we get a lot of throughout this movie, you know, both in terms of her like partying and getting drunk and puking and seeking out places where she's not Super so she doesn't have to feel any responsibility for being super and also so she can knock herself blotto with alcohol, but also in periodic conversations with Superman, with David Corn Sweat showing up in these little cameos that initially I thought we're going to be just, hey, you liked this guy in this movie, hear some more of him, But I actually I ended up thinking we're One of the more interesting aspects of this movie is just him trying to reckon with this this new thing that's been thrust upon him, and him trying to, you know, extend his goodness and his boy scoutness to somebody who went through something so similar to what he's going through and reacted so differently and has come to the same place that he's come to and has reacted so differently to it. So, you know, I think maybe the conversations between the two of them and her way of seeing Earth versus the way he sees Earth are some of the most interesting things in the movie, and they're just backgrounded for most of the film, so we can have, you know, antic nonsense involving aliens, slimy cg aliens with weird anatomies, and see a whole bunch of very young girls who have been trafficked as sex slaves, running around being helpless and in many cases dying, all.
Speaker 5: Leading up to they're they're not just for kids anymore, leading.
Speaker 6: Up to a moment at the very end where one of them does somethings just so you can say girl power.
Speaker 3: Yes, hear you talk about the movie in detail, because I don't remember any of It's like, oh, that happened, that's interesting. I'm good recall on that. I just to kind of reflect. I do feel I agree with you, Tasha, that that what we do get here with Superman. Those interactions are some of my favorite moments in the movie because they do feel like they're talking about something important, and they do. They do come you know, have these as you say, similar experiences that they've that they've can come to different conclusions about and reshape the lives and different ways around. All that stuff is real dramas and real things that you can kind of chew on. But I think you know not to harp on Lobo here. But let's just talk about Lobo for a second. Like you all have experience with Lobo. I'm a comics idiot. I don't know who this guy is. So imagine imagine me. Imagine me, this naive fellow who's just going out to have a good time at Supergirl encountering this character.
Speaker 5: What am I supposed to make it? This guy?
Speaker 3: You know, you know, it does not matter to me. It doesn't matter to me that he he doesn't have a significant, important role in this movie. It's not the movie could take him or leave him, and you kind of wish that they would leave him. But I have no investment or interest in how this character might you know, this character needing to be established to be in future movies.
Speaker 5: This is what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: I mean, I just think I'm so tired of these films throwing out, you know, some basic storytelling responsibility of these in order to extend the franchise, in order to link together one film to the next. It's so exhausting and it's so damaging to the films individually.
Speaker 5: To make movies that way.
Speaker 6: When you say he doesn't have a significant role to play, Scott, I think you're forgetting the very important thing at the end where even though he's a bounty hunter and his only job is to get this guy's head and get the bounty, and he does that, and in spite of repeatedly telling us that he doesn't care about anything else, he still comes back to like witness the end of the confrontation and you know, give these girls an approving nod to make sure that it's clear to everybody that he likes the way they he likes the cut of their jibs.
Speaker 5: You know, you almost feel like you can almost read the contract.
Speaker 4: It was like, mister Momoa must be on the in the film for no less than X number of minutes.
Speaker 5: Like, oh crap, how are going to do that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, an approving nod, that'll solve it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has a nutritionist to by the way, there was that that was in the credits as well. He had a nutritionist on set for Jason Cawell.
Speaker 6: That's not surprising. You do not maintain a Jason Momoa body without a team of people helping along the way. Yeah, I that that little like that'll do pig nod at the end. It just kind of chaps me a little bit, I think, because this is the kind of movie that a certain kind of publication is going to call feminist because there were women in it, their characters and they do stuff for themselves, and him showing up at the end rud for that'll do pig to me is a bunch of like boy executives saying, well, like the end is kind of a bunch of girls shoot and kill a bunch of men, Like we we got to make sure that everybody knows that, like this isn't an anti men movie, Like where where are the men at the end of the movie? Can we bring that back? That one guy that's who everybody's going to be interested in.
Speaker 5: What's that one viral tweet?
Speaker 4: I am not comfortable unless this is about me, but it's written like bird Speaker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the bird Bird Spokesman is a longtime favorite of mine. But I am not comfortable unless we are about me. Is Yes, the Chef's kiss the perfection of the form.
Speaker 4: Well, we should probably move on. We're not done with super Girl yet. We're gonna Yeah, she can take it, Superpowers. We're gonna beat up on Supergirl. Well, the film, not the actual character who I like, but when we compare it to a true grit. We'll be back after the break with Connections.
Speaker 3: The next Picture Show is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. We are currently in the middle of summer movie season that's full of obvious blockbusters that you'll want to see, like Disclosure Day or Toy Story five. But part of the fun of going to theaters in June and July is checking out all the counter programming too, like Michael Sarnofsky's surprisingly grim The Death Robinhood, or the frisky New Olivia Wild marital comedy The Invite with Seth Rogan, Penelobe Cruz and Edward Norton. It can get pretty costly to see all those movies, but the Regal Unlimited pass takes the stress out of those decisions and motivates you to get out to the multiplex. You can see any standard two D movie with no blackout dates and no restrictions. With Regal Unlimited, you can see as many movies as you like at no additional cost, and we have a discount code to make the cost of watching all the movies you want even cheaper. When you sign up for Regal Unlimited using the next Picture show code next pick twenty six, you'll get fifteen percent off on all you can watch movie pass with no blackout dates or restrictions, plus ten percent off all non alcoholic concessions. Just open up the Regal app or follow the link in this episode's description and use next Pick twenty six to receive your discount. That code is n e xt pic twenty six.
Speaker 2: Do you have any information on the break in?
Speaker 5: That's so the information's gonna cost you.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you when.
Speaker 6: I'll arm rescue for her.
Speaker 2: Seriously, you win and you can have us both. I win, and you can tell us where the brigands are.
Speaker 5: Deal.
Speaker 2: Deal.
Speaker 4: Now it's time for connections, where we bring these two films together talk about all the things they have in common, which is quite a lot, you know. I when I first read this comics MAK series like, oh, we gotta do true grit when Supergirl comes out, and I stand by that, obviously stand by it.
Speaker 5: We're doing it.
Speaker 4: But it seems like some of the connections have been severed between the source material.
Speaker 5: And True Grit.
Speaker 4: But there's still plenty to talk about here, starting with children who task themselves with adult responsibilities. I guess it's sort of Ruthie versus Maddie. I mean, you're right, Ruth's pretty passive. She's pretty passive, but she does at least she does have the true grit.
Speaker 5: One might say.
Speaker 3: She hangs in there she wants to be. I mean, she she has to do a tremendous amount of hounding to get Supergirl to to uh, you know, do what she wants her to do. So in that sense, there's definitely a maddiness to it. Uh, But I think that there's this a lack of commitment there. I mean, we talked about in True Grit how Maddie is asserted through the narration and elsewhere as being you know, at this you know, our hero, the person through which the story is told. That is definitely not the case with Supergirl. You know, Ruthie feels you know, yeah, And it doesn't help, but it makes it does contribute to that impression of Ruthie as being a more passive character or less engaged or in engaging character as she she might have been because Ultimately, our focus is on Supergirl and whether or not she's gonna, you know, be roused into action, and how difficult it is for her to kind of get there and and in order for to get there, it you know, it makes you know, Ruthi look kind of like a you know, a little pest rather than somebody, rather than a pest that we really enjoy, like Maddie. So I don't know, there's a again that that's that's one kind of comparing In contrast, uh, that really doesn't work in Supergirl's favorite and almost kind of underlines some of the foundational problems with Supergirl that really aren't present and true grit in terms of just having that strong through line, having that strong presence really pushing the action forward, because you know, she has truly lost something important, people important to her, and we don't we don't feel it in a way in the way that I think.
Speaker 5: We need to.
Speaker 6: I think an interesting contrast here, Specifically, the way Keith has framed this point as children who task themselves with adult responsibilities is that Ruthi doesn't have a choice because she doesn't have a family. Her her entire family has been killed and she's the last survivor looking for justice, whereas Mattie makes it very clear that you know, her mother and siblings are at home, she just doesn't trust her mother to pursue anything. She describes her mother in probably like loving but contemptuous terms, I guess as a teenager might as kind of like ineffectual and indecisive, and her other siblings is you know, too young for vengeance. So this is something she's consciously taken on herself, but there are other people that could have done it, including the lawyer that she keeps citing. You know, it doesn't occur to her or she doesn't trust her lawyer to handle the hiring of a ranger to go out and do these things, like she wants to be there herself for it, whereas Ruthie kind of has to go do it herself if it's going to get done at all, and there's you know, and she unlike unlike Mattie, she doesn't really have much to offer for you know, she has the last of her father's swords, but that doesn't really make a difference to Supergirl, who you know, can punch holes in the sides of battleships and doesn't use or need a Sword, So in terms of the amount of choice going on here and the amount of distrust of adult authority, I think they're kind of kind of notably different characters. But then in execution, I just I just feel like the filmmakers didn't trust us to realize that Supergirl was the hero of this movie if Ruthie was capable at all, you know, because Maddie is pretty capable and does a handful of things to prove it. Ruthie until the cage sequence towards the end, you know, she doesn't have a swimming in the river moment, she doesn't have a pulling down on Tom Cheney with a gun mid film moment. She just keeps getting rescued over and over and over. And she's just as bullheaded, you know. So she keeps charging into danger, which means super Girl has to rescue her more. And one of the things that I found just like a sort of ongoing background to irritant in this movie was just the really repetitive loop of you know, Ruthy's attitude gets her into trouble, super Girl rescuers or repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, which is, we have Maddie's attitude to contend with in true grit, but it takes all sorts of different forms, and she isn't in constant need of rescue. She's maybe in biggest picture in need of rescue emotionally, but in terms of Okay, the bad guys are going to kill her again right now. If I don't do something, we don't have to deal with that loop a thousand times in true grint.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's only really towards the very end that she's in, like you're pronounced peril, and part of that has to do with the snake, not the actual bad guys.
Speaker 6: That's true. And you made a point about the emotion impact of that sequence, and just like how hard Cogburn like works to keep her alive, it's also just it's emotionally impactful because we haven't already seen it twelve times in the movie so far.
Speaker 3: Yeap, is there something to be said too about the fact that Ruthie actually witnesses the loss of all of her family members, whereas Mattie is at least disconnected from that incident. And you know, because it seems to kind of affect the tone of these movies a little differently, there's like, I guess a little you know, I mean, you would feel more trauma, grief, et cetera if you were to have actually been there in a way that Ruthie is and where you know, as opposed to Mattie, who is responding to a situation that she wasn't actually you know, there to I don't know see on her own?
Speaker 5: Did it?
Speaker 3: Did it make a difference to you?
Speaker 5: All those two things before.
Speaker 4: We get into that, you know you're saying that makes me think about saying about true grit because we see her father's body and the opening scene, right, but is that the only moment in the film that's really removed from Mattie's point of view, like that memory.
Speaker 3: Too, that, Yeah, that shot of that of the body.
Speaker 5: Because I don't think we leave her side for the rest of the movie, do we.
Speaker 6: I'd have to rewatch it with that specifically in mind. I wouldn't want to say that we definitively don't and then and then be proved wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well not much anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that's a really good point. It is it is stylized. It's a story that she's telling us, and it's very clearly a story that lives in her imagination. But it has to it has to be part of her imagination because she wasn't there. And you know, given how capable and headstrong Mattie is and how determined she is that the world will it has not yet been proven to her definitively that the world does not work the way she says it's going to. I have to imagine that somewhere in the back of her is the feeling that if she'd been there, she could have fixed things, she could have made sure that that didn't happen somehow, you know, whereas Ruthie was there and was completely helpless, and so you know, she's acting out against that helplessness. There is also a sense of which, you know, it's clear that Ruthie, Ruthie got to see Cram and see like how fearsome he is and went on to fight him anyway, like, went on to chase him across the galaxy. Maddie clearly had met Cheney, but thinks of him as kind of adult and says so till the beef and one of their their better fencing matches. She clearly does not have anywhere near this sort of She's not haunted by him, She just you know, needs to see him brought in whereas Ruthie is kind of haunted by Cram and the Raiders, she knows what they're capable of, so in a way, it's it's braver what she's doing, whereas Mattie is coming from a place of like ignorance and youth, you know, lack of experience with the world covered over by a teen arrogance. So I think I think that's where it makes a difference for me Scott in terms of kind of those two perspectives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one other thing, like the heart of both of these movies is a journey, and in Drew get a journey through the American West, who has some very untamed corners of the American West. Supergirl's equivalent is I actually thought one of the better parts of the film was kind of this tour of like bus stations and convenience stores and backwaters. We only get like a really proper Western style setting once they arrive at the planet where the Brigands are are hanging out. What did you think of that sort of alternative to the.
Speaker 5: Old West that we get in Supergirl.
Speaker 6: I will say we do get a small snippet of it earlier in the scene where Ruthy meets Souper Girl. When Supergirl goes after the guy who the alien who has just stolen Ruthy's sword and tossed her aside. She comes out and there's just it's just a straight up, you know, confrontation on main Street at noon, you know, gunslinger face off, complete with like the shot of the two of them facing each other. Of course it's happening at night in the dark, and one of the combatants is drunk off of her ass, but there there is very much a high noon kind of feeling to the way that scene is framed and shot.
Speaker 3: At least I feel like with Supergirl there's kind of it's a little guilty of sort of the mosies lefication of these types.
Speaker 5: Of movies where we got there Scott.
Speaker 3: Where you get these kind of bar scenes all the time, where you're just thrown into these onto these planets, into these settings where where there are a bunch of where the creature effects go wild, and there's all kinds of it's a chance for our reluctant hero to get get in a little bit of a bar berall with some strange beings. There's a little bit of sameness there, But I dost think the kind of sameness of this film is sort of the point. I mean, you know, I think when you've been drinking as much as Superherol drinks in this movie, that that has a way of flattening locations, that has a way of making different planets look like the same planet, different bars look like the same bar. This this kind of habit that she's gotten into, and the film kind of reflects that it is not It does not have I'm afraid to say the richness of the Collin's portrait of the post war American West. I'm sorry to say point point True Grit on that one too. I don't know, I don't you know. I just think there's a lot more to kind of dig into in terms of the relationship between the world of the film and in True Grit, and the way the character is kind of interact with that world morally, you know, the way they kind of you know, the question of justice and vengeance, and and how that that that is kind of seeking justice becomes a much different sort of thing in this in this particular environment in a way that's so thematically compelling. I'm trying to grasp onto what it is about, you know, the backdrops, I suppose in super Girl that that feel as textured.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm missing something very Star Wars. I mean, I think you're right with the moss ilification of space. In a way, there's parts of me that made me think this has kind of had a little bit more Star Wars iness to it than the Mandalorian and Grogu. But maybe I've just been you know, you know, a little a little too short, a little too sharp there.
Speaker 6: I think of it as maybe a little less Star Wars afying and a little more Guardians of the Galaxy afying. Sure, because I feel like Guns kind of drawn a portrait of DC in the space that's this messy, like overlapping lots of different aliens with you know, kind of low motivations, kind of kind of place something that does feel battered and used the way Star Wars settings you know, quote unquote current era Star Wars settings as opposed to like high Republic era settings. So yeah, I mean, maybe that all came out of Star Wars as well, Who knows. To some degree it comes from trying to turn the galaxy, the DC Galaxy of the comics into something that can be like reduced down to a backdrop for single films. But here, Keith, to go back to your original question, I don't know that I really feel the Old West of that final confrontation, you know, the sequence where Supergirl is on the planet with the Green Sun, which I don't know. This is another part that the comics did, and the comics did it better in that there's an explanation for the Green Sun, which is an artificial It's an artificial planet that was created to trap Superman in a previous story arc, which makes a lot more sense to me than a Kryptonite Sun somehow. Sure, I don't know what that even means. That world though, and the kind of like sun blasted barrenness of it does feel like a Western setting. But once they catch up with the Raiders and start fighting them, you know, we're we're much more for me in mad Max Land than we are in classic Western land. You see, I prove me wrong, Like.
Speaker 4: Well, actually kind of kind of referra more to the town before that. But I do think like the whole a Kryptonite Sun thing is, it's very much the man with no Name gets beat up and has to like you know, himself back to health.
Speaker 5: An inner Barn kind of moment too.
Speaker 4: You know, but yeah, the final fight is definitely We're in Mad Max's science fiction territory and we're in slow motion and we got a prominent needle drop of a not great cover of a great song.
Speaker 6: But oh, that's when we were talking about Craig Gillespie's style and I was chaffing him for copycatting James gunn. I completely forgot about the needle drops, which are another you know, big, big, big James gun signature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean they're a glossy thing too, but with Golspie's it tends to be more like a zomcasy.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: These are familiar songs that you know, and this is a familiar song, but it's covered by artist named Kilty Gray and Kid Motel, which I'm not familiar with. But I'm old, so I don't. I don't necessarily know all the all the hip new bands. I didn't really care for this cover of the Jimmy World song.
Speaker 3: Though it probably is like some sort of like a billion views on TikTok or something. It was something we was like screaming at us right now.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe I'm not sure that the kids are listening to this podcast. I think not being on YouTube might hurt us with the kids.
Speaker 5: They're they're cool.
Speaker 3: Middle aged parents are listening and they're screaming in the in the back seat to make it stop. Other connections here, Keith, you have written down is uh the bad guys are kind of worth speaking about, really really really bad bad guys, as you.
Speaker 5: Put it both in both films. For sure, Yes, so I would.
Speaker 3: I will kind of still give the edge to super to Krim. I guess it's Supergirl as being I mean, they're there, they are they're raiders who who in pirates who and thieves and scoundrels who who will kind of take advantage of any situation and have no you know, no compunction to restrain themselves at all and getting whatever it is that they want. I think again, you know, I don't. I don't really keep harping on quality here, but there's something so specific about James Brolin's depiction of Tom Cheney that stands out. I mean, I think you've I think you've seen this type of character before. There's something there's a fundamental weakness to him. You know, he's not he's not imposing in a way that really upsets or rattles Maddie. I mean, Maddie has put in a spot at a spot where she she has to take action, and that's scary for her. But she's not really scared of him, and she doesn't really have reason to be in the same way that everyone has good reason to be afraid of Krim, given given his power and his ability and his hench people and his ability to create mass chaos. But I think there's something kind of but I mean, but still in both cases, you know, you have to, you know, grapple with a villain that is really truly capable of doing anything, because there's just nothing, there's no moral sense, nothing but holding them back from getting what they.
Speaker 6: Want, not to not to throw another rock on the on the scales on the true grit side. But Tom Cheney's another character that we don't really learn a whole lot about. And yet the little speech that he gives that's basically just a self pitying like everybody's against me. To Maddie. His whole backstory seems to ahimount to I just don't got the luck like people, I get no respect. People are constantly demanding that I, you know, surrender the money that I lose at gambling and not kill them and take their stuff, and you know, it's the world is against me. It's just it's tough on me that my luck is so bad now this kid has come along and shot me. Oh no, it is the inevitable consequences of my actions. Yeah, it's just that it makes him a really interesting character. I mean, it means that we need Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper to kind of like back him up as a scarier villain. Because Tom, even after all of this pursuit of him and obsession with him, is a pretty pathetic villain. You know, he's amoral and monstrous, but he's just not scary to an adult viewer's eye. He's pathetic. Cram, on the other hand, seems like, I don't know, like somebody was writing what they thought would be scary, and it's like, oh, he's got red eyes, and he doesn't talk much, and he's got scary facial piercings, and he wears battered leather and he again cannot say it too many times, kidnaps and sexually assaults children in order to maintain his all male group of raiders, which I guess they throw away the girl babies as well. I mean there's just sort of an inherent monstrousness there being throw not a very casual way and not actually becoming part of the story in any like thoughtful way. Apart from and now we've got a bunch of victims running around. It's he's not scary, he's he's boring. I mean, you might as well introduce him by saying he bites the heads off kittens. He's a kitten head bitter. We're not gonna we don't need anything more about him or who he is or what who believes because kitten biten. Also, it's like a German word, now that I say it out loud.
Speaker 3: Kitten biten.
Speaker 4: If you're gonna borrow from Mad Max, you know you have to like face up to the fact that Mad Max says some of this from film to film. It's some of the best villains ever in science fiction movies. So you know, you really should put a little more investment into.
Speaker 3: This is an important context too that you can really grasp onto thematically in those villains too. I mean, you think about it more. I think about Morton Joe all the time when the Trump administration. I'm sorry, just like that that just like right, exactly exactly. I mean, how can you not connect to that level of vility because that you know, denying and then occasionally parsing out something that is so precious and essential for human human life and that you need that he needs something other than oh, this is just a guy who who is just awful and can you know, destroy a whole room full of people without giving any thought Like that's not enough. There needs to be.
Speaker 5: There needs to be I think a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more thematic purpose to it, and I think I think and I think really you can look at Cheney as being a product of his time, as being the type of person who can you know, like again, if we're talking about if I made the Third Band comparison, like a like a less elegant Harry Lyme who's kind of can operate in this world, in the shadows of this world because no one is going to stop him. He can kind of he can be a scoundrel because this is the world that is created him and in his world that sustains him. And you know that's different than what I think we get in Supergirl.
Speaker 6: In True Great we've got ned Pepper as a backup villain and he's somebody else we don't learn a ton about, but when he's very clearly got an ethos. You know, he leads this gang of criminals who are devoted to him, even though there are a bunch of weirdos, one of whom his presence consists entirely of a series of amusing animal impressions. But his like the way that he treats Maddie, you know, courteously and almost kindly. He does not hesitate to literally step on her face and threaten her life to get what he wants. But he's a man of his word in terms of keeping her safe. When he leaves her behind with Tom Cheney, there is sort of a question of what exactly his intent is. It seems to me like his intent is to like ditch this wild card who is with trouble more than necessarily to harm either of the two of them, But like leaving the two troublesome elements alone with each other and not necessarily caring how that falls out. Is certainly a choice. But you know, up until then, he has a courtesy about him, and again he clearly has an ethos. And again what's missing from Krem is any sense of an ethos, a purpose, a belief system, something he falls back on that isn't just raw raw rare, kill kill.
Speaker 4: We should probably start to wind down, but I think we probably should talk about what you know, thematically connects these films, which is they're both stories about revenge, justice and vengeance. I mean, again, I feel like we're just piling on, but I feel like True Grit has a sense of that and something to say.
Speaker 5: Or Supergirl. We get a lot of talk of super.
Speaker 4: Girl protecting Ruthie from Committee, an act of a vengeance that she'll regret, but it's all talk and and you know, ultimately we never get like sort of the counterweight to that, which is like Supergirl's own past and her own regrets and the way they weigh on her. I guess we're kind of supposed to maybe in two of them, by the fact that she does this for Ruthie and does kill Krem and perhaps not the first time she's done such a thing. But I feel like there's a scene missing or something that that would really kind of make that land. I don't know what was you know, what was your experience.
Speaker 6: Watching it exactly that I saw the movie before reading the comics, Mini series and the comics mini series. A spoiler for this kind of edges right up to that ending, and then has Ruthie stop Supergirl from killing him and basically say, like, everything, everything you just preached to me about, you know, murder leaving a scar on your heart is true and I learned it from you, so I don't want you to kill him for me, and end up sticking him in the phantom zone for hundreds of years and then pulling him out once he is repentant as a new man. And then there's a weird, weird little coda that has been much debated and that I find interesting, though it doesn't land perfectly for me, but it's again just so much more nuanced then Supergirl in the movie kills Krem again to establish that she is not Superman, that she is a different character with a different moral code, and almost the rest of the story doesn't matter in terms of how it leads up to that. I think you could make an argument that part of what the film is saying is that she thinks she is so damaged, so jaded, that it doesn't really matter what happens to her heart anymore. It doesn't matter what she does morally, she is already so damaged that if she damages herself a little bit more, it doesn't matter. Well, that is a very sad and cynical thing to say, and it's something that the film doesn't really contend with her address in any way, and it's something that really doesn't go well with her willingness to protect Ruthie or her you know, devotion to Crypto as this like last little scrap of home, you know, this very sentimental like affection that she has for him, which is again the basis of a really cool twist in the comics. So it truly just felt to me like they took the comics, took every single twist in it and untwisted it, ironed it out and made it a completely straight line. And they couldn't have fit comic the super horse like I'm not even to me comic. The super horse in the Woman of Tomorrow comic is what Lobo is in the Supergirl movie, just like he's he's a I was gonna say a ride in a drive in, but I guess a gallop in. And the way his story wraps up on unravels requires like a knowledge of Supergirl background that this comic is not in any way providing, So that whole element was weird for me, and I'm glad they didn't try to which comet this, you know, the whole like time there we go trot on. The whole obsession with with Crypto as a symbol of like her remaining humanity or cryptonianity or whatever it is, would kind of fall apart if there was another super pet that she had also brought with her who was also like just run around the galaxy with her.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My fear is that Crypto is being so prominent in these films that we may never get Streaky the super Cat. And you know that may be the ultimate, the real tragedy of this version of super Girl.
Speaker 6: Be the super Monkey.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, or there's there's more. But and I know their names. I don't, I can't, I can't. I can't reveal it.
Speaker 6: That we we could just sit here like opposite each other and throw these things back and forth, like over Scott's head, since he's already said he's hopeless and extras.
Speaker 3: You should only just make up. You can just make up names and make up Streaky the super Cat.
Speaker 5: Okay, that exists.
Speaker 3: I'll take your word for it, but maybe maybe a super Hamster.
Speaker 6: When are we gonna It's like everybody's.
Speaker 3: Some kind of like dissolve quiz type of thing where it's like which which of these super pets is real and which one we made up.
Speaker 4: Mayer's hope is that Avengers Doomsday provides a window for us to talk about and baffle Scott with our discussion of frog Thor. This seems like a really good place to end when you start talking about frog Thor.
Speaker 6: Did we reach any conclusions about you know, vengeance and justice in either one of these movies?
Speaker 4: Not greats available on DVD and Blu Ray, and it's also overvent Front on the usual services. You can also find it on Paramount plus Canopy, and if you don't mind some ads, Pluto Supergirl is currently in theaters. We'll be right back with your Next Picture Show. Finally, it's kind to recommend a film or film related item that compliments this set of episodes. We call it your Next Picture Show in the hopes that it'll put some interesting choices on your radar. Scott, I believe you have a film for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we were talking about Hailey Steinfeld and how great she is in Triggrit and how great she is generally. And I cannot possibly let this episode go by without giving a shout out to the Edge of Seventeen, which is an absolutely fantastic underseen but still quite appreciated by critics film from two thousand sixteen that was written and directed by Kelly Freeman Craig, who's sort of a James L.
Speaker 5: Brooks.
Speaker 3: I don't know discovery is the word, but they've worked together on this. And then also she did a wonderful adaptation of Are You there, God, It's Me Margaret that again didn't get seen as much as it should have, but in both both films are extremely insightful about the interior lives of girls of different ages. Here you have Hailey Steinfeld play someone who is the title suggests. On the Edge of Seventeen is a little bit later in high school. She doesn't have any friends. She has one friend basically, and she in Her main confidant in school is this teacher played by Woody Harrelson, who she likes to grouse to. But the problem with this one friend, she seems perfectly happy to have that one friend, who's played by the always amazing Hailey Lou Richardson is that is that her friend starts to have feelings for her brother and tries to get involved with her brother, and that kind of throws her world up in the air and makes her even more sort of alienated from her school and her you know, feel that much more isolated as a teenager.
Speaker 5: And it's just such.
Speaker 3: A warm, funny, insightful movie. Haley Steinfeld is terrific in it. It's just it's just basically, like I think I said at the time, it's like one of those movies that that you can you see it and you know that it didn't perform as well as it did, but then twenty years from now, it's going to be the type of movie that there's gonna be oral histories about. People are gonna remember it as being like this incredibly important movie of its time. I just think it's a wonderful film. So if you haven't seen it, highly recommend the Edges. So do you highly recommend to the director's follow up if you are you their God, it's me, Margaret, because I think that's really on the show Show So so we had a chance to recommend it.
Speaker 5: Back then.
Speaker 3: We had a lot of praise for that film.
Speaker 5: If I recall we're Freeman craigheads, we are.
Speaker 4: Well, that's it for this edition of the Next Picture Show, Scott, Can you tell us about our next pairing?
Speaker 3: Obviously we like the Coen Brothers around here. Back in May, we paired the bloody Minnesota set thriller Normal with the Cohen snowy neo noir Fargo, and just this week we paired Supergirl with the Cohen's adaptation of True Grit because their stories mapped onto each other so perfectly. Now, with the new Christopher Nolan adaptation of the Odyssey looking like the movie going event of the summer, please forgive us for dipping into the Cohen well a third time with Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, a low brow Depression era comedy that's loosely based on Homer's epic poem with references to the Blind Sear, the Sirens, and the Cyclops. We cannot guarantee that we'll never do a Coen Brothers movie again, but we can assure you that after The Odyssey and O Brother Where At Thou, we will go back to acknowledging the fact that other filmmakers have also made classic films.
Speaker 4: For now, we welcome your feedback on true Grit, Supergirl, and anything else. So I'm related you'd like to talk about email us at comments at next pictureshow dot net, or leave us a voicemail at seven to seven three two three four nine seven three zero before we close out this week's podcast work. We find everyone these days, Tasha.
Speaker 6: You'll find me in a hailstorm right now if you can hear the noise in the background if the mic is picking it up. I am still on Blue Sky at Tasha Robinson. I am still generally at loose ends. I'm over at Vulture recapping dropouts flagship game show Game Changer, and enjoying that a lot. I reviewed Supergirl for polyon dot com, But for the most part, I'm kind of taking a little break from culture writing. I'm pretty burned out. So yeah, you know, just maybe I don't have to have an opinion about everything all of the time. It's it's it's kind of a release, sir.
Speaker 5: I don't like that.
Speaker 6: What well, I'll find things to argue with you about Scott, don't you.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: We just each hit up Tasha independently for opinion on everything.
Speaker 5: Tasha, what do you think about this?
Speaker 6: Dang it. I thought, I thought that I had gotten out, and then they pulled me back in for one last opinion. Scott, where can we find you writing about things that I can disagree with you about?
Speaker 3: Well? Mostly had the Reveal the newsletter write for Keith. That's the Reveal dot Film. And you can also find my work at The New York Times, Vulture, Guardian, and other fine publications. You can also find me on Blue Sky at Scott Tobias, Keith Phipps.
Speaker 5: Well, I am a freelance writer.
Speaker 4: You can find me on Blue Sky at KFIPS three thousand and other various social media there. I occasionally write for places like TV Guide and Vulture but right now, but mostly you can find me at the Reveal dot Film, where I write about movies with my pal Scott Tobias. So yeah, that's the Reveal dot dot film. And our regular co host, Ajaukowski is the TV editor at Vulture, and she is on social media in theory at genevie Kowsky on Blue Sky and but not mostly just kind of lurking.
Speaker 5: We're still worried about her whole Christmas place.
Speaker 3: Some good stuff about her gardens, usually parts of Instagram, like you get that's in dog stuff.
Speaker 4: Gardens and dogs two great things you can say up there on Next Picture Show, at Next Picture Show dot net and on blue Sky at the Next Picture Show. You can get bonus content and open discussion at Patreon dot com slash Next Picture Show and as always, really appreciate your rating and reviews on Apple Podcasts or Spotify or wherever you listen to the show. Thanks to Dan That Makes Jakes for the assistant producing this podcast, The Next Picture Show is proud to be part of the Film Spotting family of podcasts.
Speaker 5: Please tune in next time.
Speaker 6: It was a good movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seen here before once