Speaker 1: Quick question, do you know about the Xzu Till's back door hack? What backdoor?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait wait wait wit what the xu tills back door? I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: This is something almost nobody's heard of, but in the spring of twenty twenty four, we narrowly avoided a complete technological disaster.
Speaker 3: So you've you've never heard of this though? Nope?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just searched it up on Wikipedia and it seems way too nne.
Speaker 3: To read about.
Speaker 1: These aren't just random people. These are other journalists people in general who keep up with the news.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was like, wait, what did I miss?
Speaker 3: And I feel bad, But I guess maybe I'm not the only one. What journalists who doesn't know what this is about?
Speaker 1: Even they didn't really know about what could have been the biggest hack in the history of the Internet.
Speaker 2: If this had not been caught, then this would have been a skeleton key that would have allowed these attackers to break into tens of millions of incredibly important servers around the world. We probably would have had airlines not working, trading halted ATM's, not working, banks not working, people not able to get their money, you'd have a huge loss of credibility of technology in people's lives.
Speaker 1: Alex Stamos is a cybersecurity expert. Specifically, he's the chief Information Security Officer or CISO at a cybersecurity company called Sentinel One, and he's the former CIECO at Facebook. He's also a lecturer in the computer science department at Stanford and this attempted hack is something that is still keeping him up at night.
Speaker 2: It's fallen out of popular discussion, but among people in security we're still talking about it. It uncovered a real fundamental weakness that terrifies lots of people who have responsibility in this area.
Speaker 1: And what scares them most, and this should scare us too, is that this was caught by complete chance.
Speaker 2: We just got lucky, right like one dude got really bored and noticed a tiny little change in the speed of one program executing and pulled the thread. And on the end of this thread was a humongous, ticking time bomb. It was one dude, and he should never have to buy a beer for himself ever again underus freuend I'm raising.
Speaker 4: A toast to you right now. This is just water, but I wish it was more.
Speaker 1: Kaleidoscope and iHeart podcast is killed switch com dexterous.
Speaker 2: Amentarians.
Speaker 1: If you've never heard about this, that's no reason to feel bad. But if it hadn't been caught, it absolutely would have affected you. What kind of activity were talking about here.
Speaker 2: Well, we really don't know, and because we don't know who the attackers are, we don't know whether that would have been used for really quiet surveillance. It could have been used for national security intelligence gathering purposes. It could have been used for a humongous heist of hundreds of millions or billions of dollars of cryptocurrency, or it could have been used as part of a massive cyber attack to shut down millions of can and cause massive disruptions.
Speaker 1: One of the main reasons that this potential attack isn't talked about much is because the details are kind of technical. Well, some of the details are a lot of this stuff is really just basic human behavior. It's stuff that you or I could do if we really wanted, and it shows us that sometimes the best hacks are the simplest ones. Let me break it down for you. In late March of twenty twenty four, Andres Freund who's an engineer at Microsoft, was sitting at his desk doing his job when he discovered a malicious piece of code in this little known tool called xdu tilS. This code created a method that would allow hackers to access a.
Speaker 3: Lot of different computers.
Speaker 1: Maybe right now you're thinking, okay, so why is this the problem for me? I mean, I don't use xdu tilS, so they couldn't get on my computer. And yeah, maybe you've never heard of XCU tills. Actually I hadn't either, and I did what most people do when they don't understand something about a computer, call an expert. But it turns out that this really well respected expert he found out about XU tills when I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I personally had not heard of xdu tilS before this.
Speaker 1: Even you really, yeah, I had definitely not heard of XU tills. I figured you would have hearing that you had not heard of it before all this happened. Frankly, that's a little bit more scary to me. Now, So why did this backdoor into a program that no one seems to know about matter so much? And what is XU tills.
Speaker 2: This is the brilliance of what these attackers did XCU tilS is an ingredient to an ingredient to an ingredient to something really important. So the thing that they wanted to have a backdoor into is a really important program called open ssh.
Speaker 4: So this is something that every tech he has heard of.
Speaker 1: All right, but what if you're not a techie. So in order to understand the XU tills haack, we do need to back up and understand something that xcutil is used in this thing called open ssh.
Speaker 2: This is the program that the majority of Unix like systems, especially Linux, also Max and some other operating systems, allow you to access them remotely over the internet.
Speaker 1: I'll get to the open later, but SSH stands for secure, show, and let's just focus on secure right now. If you think of the difference between posting a tweet online and dming someone, you're actually kind of halfway there. Open Ssh allows you to communicate with a remote computer just like you were sitting there right in front of it. So even though you're far away, if you want to send a message, or install programs or delete files, you know that the connection is safe and that nobody else can see what you're doing or tamper with that connection.
Speaker 2: So you know, when you see like people in the matrix typing really fast, see a lot of text, right if somebody is doing that remotely, it's probably over open ssh.
Speaker 1: You might think this doesn't matter for you because you don't use open ssh, but you do because that's what you use to connect to systems running Linux. Around the world.
Speaker 2: Linux has become the standard operating system for the cloud. So when you talk to Google, you're talking to a Linux system. When you talk to Facebook, you're talking to a Linux system. When you talk to Apple, you're probably talking.
Speaker 4: To a Linux system.
Speaker 2: Right now, the system that we're talking to each other with almost certainly is running Linux. So the vast majority of systems you talk to in the cloud are running Linux.
Speaker 1: Linux is used for Apple's iCloud, for social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, for YouTube, for Twitter, It's used for the New York Stock Exchange. Gamers use it when they run Steam or they play games online, and the list goes on. The vast majority of the Internet runs on Linux and open ssh. Make sure that it's you logging in and not somebody else.
Speaker 2: When you log in and you get your mail, the server that holds your mail has a stage on it the server that holds your social media SSSH, the servers that have your banking information at ssh. It's the door by which you get into these systems.
Speaker 1: So open ssh is incredibly important to the Internet and all the cloud systems that we rely on, and because of that, it has a lot of eyes on it. Trying to hack open Ssh directly would pretty much be impossible. Someone would catch you pretty quick.
Speaker 2: People pay a lot of attention to it. A lot of people run their code scanners on it, a lot of people look for bugs in it, and so it has been a while since open ssh has had itself a humongous security flaw in it. If you just join the open ssh project and said, hey, I'm a new guy that nobody ever knew, here's my code, everybody would be super suspicious, right m h. And whoever these bad guys are, they know that. So what they did was they looked at open ssh, and they looked at its dependency graph, what we call They looked at all the stuff that goes into open ssh, and what they saw was open Ssh depends on other things.
Speaker 1: This is where xzu tills comes in. Xu tills is one of the things that open Ssh depends on what does xzu tills actually do.
Speaker 2: It's a compression library, so it's just a library that is used to make data that comes in smaller so that if you're moving like a big file back and forth, it can fit down a smaller pipe. Right, you might be talking to a server on a satellite link, you might be talking over a modem. Right, you might be talking over a cell phone, and so you want your big file to fit into a smaller pipe.
Speaker 1: If you've ever used the zip file on your computer, you get the general idea. Smaller files can be transferred faster, which is important when you're dealing with so much data flowing back and forth. Xdu tilS allows open Ssh to be both safe and fast, but that's the trick. By inserting a back door into xu tills, the hackers created a way to access anything being transmitted via open ss. That meant they could not only read supposedly secure messages, but remotely run code on any server that uses open ssh. And since basically the entire Internet uses this thing, once you're in there, you can do anything you want.
Speaker 2: You could have used it for a bunch of very quiet surgical attacks over a multi year period, or you could have done one humongous big bane where you knock out a huge chunk of the Internet all at once.
Speaker 1: But how did hackers get access to xdutails in the first place. Well, remember when I promised to tell you about the open in open Ssh. Open Ssh and also Linux are open source programs. This means that anyone can look at the source code because it's open and it's posted publicly. The idea is that if everyone works together on the code, it'll be better and the publical benefit. And so anyone's free to look at the code, to learn from the code, or even to remix it for their own use. And even if you have no interest in all that nerd stuff, you still use versions of open source code every day on basically all of your devices when.
Speaker 2: You're running open source software, which people don't understand. Basically everybody is right. So what kind of phone do you have? Do you have an iPhone or Android?
Speaker 3: I actually have an Android?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so Android.
Speaker 2: A humongous chunk of that code is open source, right right, And that is code that is maintained by volunteers that you have no idea who those people are. Google has no idea who those people are. Right, Google collects all this code from around the internet, they package it all up and then they put it on a phone, or they send it to Samson, and Samson puts on the phone.
Speaker 1: And before we get any further, iPhone people, this applies to you too. Your iPhone uses a lot of open source code also. And don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing.
Speaker 2: It's great because it's free and it makes the phone cheaper, and it's cool that we all get to contribute. But the flip side is is that, yes, OpenSSH itself gets lots of love. The Linux kernel gets lots of love, right, But something like XCU tills, which is this tiny little component over here, does not get lots of enough. And xd details at the time was maintained by one person. That one dude was then manipulated to giving up control of it, and the person he gave up control of it too, turned out to be a totally fake persona to not exist.
Speaker 1: This is where we get to the human part of the story. The one guy who was maintaining xeu tills, his name was lost to Culin. He'd been maintaining xeu tills since two thousand and nine, and he was the sole maintainer for the project. He wasn't being paid for it. He was a volunteer. That's usually how open source projects go. In twenty twenty two, LASTA. Collins started to get a lot of requests to make updates to the code. Throughout the year, multiple accounts, seemingly out of nowhere, started complaining that Colin wasn't working fast enough and implying that if he wasn't interested in doing this anymore, maybe he wasn't the guy for the job and the pressure was getting to him.
Speaker 3: In June of.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty two, Colin wrote in a public note, quote, I haven't lost interest, but my ability to care has been fairly limited, mostly due to long term mental health issues, but also due to some other things. He also went on to remind people that quote, It's also good to keep in mind that this is an unpaid hobby project. Thankfully, right about that time, a new programmer had come into help. This new person's name was Gia Tan. Colin seemed a little relieved that finally someone wasn't just complaining but helping. In that same note from June, he wrote that he'd been working a bit with Gatan on exeu utils to address all of those complaints, and he said about gia quote, perhaps he will have a bigger role in the future. We'll see. Over the course of a few years, gia Tan really started to gain lesa Collins trust. Gia Tan was the ideal contributor. He didn't just help when he was asked to, but he would offer to take on more work, and by twenty twenty four, Colin had made gia Tan a co maintainer on the project, which allowed him to add code without needing approval.
Speaker 4: This is a human attack, right.
Speaker 2: It all happened in the open, but the way they did it was they created these fake personas where one guy super friendly and one guy's a jerk, and the jerk basically is abusing the person who's maintaining the software and saying, oh, I need this change, I need this change.
Speaker 4: You're so slow. Why are you so slow?
Speaker 2: And remember this guy's not getting paid right like, and so eventually basically bully this guy to say, oh, I'm tired of doing this, I don't want to do it anymore. And then the nice guy's like, oh, well you know, I'll do it for you. I'll take over man, let me take this burden.
Speaker 1: For you, right, very convenient, right, And.
Speaker 2: This took several years, and so this shows you kind of the long play. They're willing to spend months and months and months and in fact years building these personas, because like, look, if you just created an account and you're like, hey, i've got code, take it, that wouldn't work right with these people. Figured out is that you have to create these personas. They have to seem real. You have to make posts, you have to contribute legit stuff. You've got to create.
Speaker 4: Kind of a history, build a relationship, you have to build a relationship.
Speaker 2: And so the guy who maintains it gives it up of like, oh, thank you so much for taking this burden from me, because look at these jerks.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Of course he doesn't know that the jerks works for the same team, or maybe you're even the same person as the nice guy, right, And then he hands it over to this nice guy who's a friend of his, and then the friend takes it over and then does a bunch of legitimate stuff, and then in the middle of all that legitimate stuff inserts a very very subtle backdoor.
Speaker 1: I've seen this back door talked about using the phrase sophisticated that it was very sophisticated. Yes, in some ways it sounds sophisticated, but in some ways it sounds like it kind of wasn't because a lot of it just revolved around getting somebody to give them some access.
Speaker 2: The code was sophisticated, The method of getting in there was very human. It was bugging a guy until he gave up control. Yes, right, just being a nuisance, Just being a nuisance. So who was behind those fake personas We don't know for sure, but Alex has a theory that's after the break over the course of years, the one guy maintaining this very important tool called XEU tills Lasa Colin was being bullied and manipulated online to give a persona called Gia Tan a lead role in handling the code. But who is gia Tan. Everybody's been asking this question of like who did this, Who's behind this? Most of the names have kind of an Asian origin, right, So there's accounts like Jagar Kumar. The key one is Gia Tan, which is like, could be Chinese, could be Korean. Most of the either the names or the technical indicators point to right. So the time zones that this person was working into are kind of the East Asian time zone, so it's like Beijing or Korea. The names are Asian. Everything points to Asia, which makes a lot of people think it's Russia actually because it's just too perfect, right, because it's just like it's somebody spent three years doing all this work, and then you're like, like, let's say you're Chinese. Are you going to use like a Chinese name as your fake name? Are you going to spend three years but then work in your normal time zone? And the generally the only actor who has shown this level of patients who's been willing to spend three years working on a back door like this. The only people who have ever done that is either the United States or the SVR. So Russia, okay, yeah, are really the only groups where you've seen people spend years kind of doing this kind of work. And a lot of people don't think you would be the US doing something like this, that they would never mess with something this important because also the thing the Russians are like was blame other people right again, because we never got to the point of again used. Usually attribution is done after something's used, and so it's a lot easier to figure out because then you can ask quebono right, who benefits.
Speaker 4: But like all of these indicators.
Speaker 2: Pointing specifically to kind of China or Korea makes you think it's just a little too obvious.
Speaker 1: A major theory in cybersecurity circles is that Giatan isn't one person. It's potentially multiple people, but likely Russian hackers working for the SVR, which is Russia's foreign intelligence service, and that they tried to cover their tracks even if it wasn't consistent.
Speaker 4: The guys who.
Speaker 2: Worked for the professionals will change their time zones specifically around who either what allows them to avoid detection or specifically around whatever they're doing for attribution.
Speaker 1: Well, there were some times that the time zones actually pointed to an Eastern European time zone or time or another time zone, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's there is a little mixed right, So somebody could be working from the eastern side of Russia, or they could be waking up early in Moscow Saint Petersburg and then they slipped right.
Speaker 1: In other words, they might have just slipped up and forgot to change their time zones. Because remember this happened over the course of years. Maybe somebody had an off day and forgot to change the computer settings. But Alex has another reason for suspecting Russia over China.
Speaker 2: Chinese hackers, for the most part, work very rigorous hours. You can almost always tell when Chinese hackers are working because they work office hours. They work eight to five, eight to six. Really, it's like very regular, yeah, okay, Whereas it's much harder to do time zone stuff based for the Russians because they they will work whatever hours they need to work. You know that that scene in like one of the Born movies where it's like the club scene. I always think about this with the Russia. There's like a club scene in Russia, and it's like you think it's the middle of the night and he walks out it's like ten am or something. Right, It's like, that's what I think about with Russian hackers, whereas like for China, it's amazing because it's like, oh, six pm in Beijing.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like, you know, everybody goes home.
Speaker 3: The hacking stops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or like Chinese.
Speaker 2: Chinese New Year Lunar New Year, everybody goes home, go sees their parents in the village or whatever, like hacking stops.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: And in the case of Exit the UTILS looking at the timing when this ga Tan was submitting code, there's a bunch of submissions during Lunar New Year, but during big Eastern European holidays like Christmas crickets. But that leaves a question, what's the motive. Why would the Western SVR want to do this.
Speaker 4: So open everybody uses.
Speaker 2: That's why this is so powerful is you don't have to have a specific target in mind, which is why you'd also spend three years doing it. Because let's say you're at the SVR, you know, no matter what war you're involved with, no matter what target you're going after, opens station is gonna be useful. So this is probably a team of the SVR who they don't know what's gonna be used for. They're just they know they're gonna get a medal.
Speaker 1: You'll be able to use this at some point, Yeah, who knows for what?
Speaker 2: And the US does the same thing, right, Like, there's people whose job it is to get the capability, and it's other guy's job who understand the geopolitics, who understand the intelligence.
Speaker 3: To use it.
Speaker 1: But Thankfully last spring, Andres Freud, the Microsoft engineer, was able to discover the back door. But this was all by chance. He wasn't looking for it.
Speaker 2: He works on a database called Postgress, so he doesn't work on xdutils. He works on Postgress is a big open source database program that Microsoft uses in their Azure cloud. So I'm guessing that's why Microsoft pays him. And in the next version of Debian, so a popular Linux distribution, Postgress was running a little bit slower, just tiny, tiny, a little bit tiny, tiny, little bit.
Speaker 1: Right, so tiny, like how much slower?
Speaker 2: Like in one specific circumstance, it's taking a couple of milliseconds longer to do something right, So like a millisecond, yeah, but like if you're a database guy, that's a lot, right, And so he is super looking into what is going on, and he realizes, oh, it's not actually Postgress that's doing this, it's open as hish, And so he could have stopped there because he could have been like, oh, well, it's not my problem, right, it's not my thing, and then maybe nobody would have looked at it, right, Like you could see an open source is that people pass problems to each other all the time, right, So it is this is like I think a normal like a normal person, even open source developer, would have been like, oh okay, I looked at this, it's not me. I'm gonna let it go. But he did not let it go. He ended up digging into okay, well what changed in open as the sage and then he looks into open a sh and sees this code and so what the What the attackers that did is they created what's called a no bus back door nobody butt us.
Speaker 1: No bus or nobody butt us is a way of creating a backdoor into something where nobody but us or you, the hackers have the key.
Speaker 2: They wanted, skeleton key that only they can use. But no bus back doors nobody but us back doors ar are actually hard to sneak in because they're pretty like obviously sketchy.
Speaker 1: So instead of doing everything all at once, they delivered multiple patches in multiple different places, little things here and there that wouldn't raise suspicion if you looked at one or two or three of them, but layered on top of each other, they created a key that only they could use.
Speaker 2: And so because they did all this stuff to kind of obfuscate it and make it super secret. They actually created the performance impact that unders saw and then went way out of his way to pull and then he posts in a public post, guys, this is super sketchy, right, like, look at this code. There's no good argument for what's going.
Speaker 1: On here, right, So, I mean I kind of have to wonder about what the implications for this are. I mean this clearly it almost worked. Do you think there's hackers out there saying okay, yeah, yeah, let me change my.
Speaker 3: Approach and maybe this is the way to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean what I'm afraid of is we haven't found any other ones like this. So what I thought would happen is at the time, I'm like, oh man, we'll have one or two more of these because everybody started looking and then nobody else found any other ones.
Speaker 4: Which terrifies me.
Speaker 3: You think there's more like this out there?
Speaker 4: I think it's quite possible it's more like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, if anybody has an idea, two or three other people have had the idea, right, So I can't imagine these are the only people who are like, oh, I'm gonna go bully some maintainer of one of the five thousand libraries on Linux to go take it over or submit a patch. I can't imagine there aren't other ones now, are they in OpenSS H or are they something much more subtle?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, this would have been both in kind of one of the worst possible places, and it would have been a skeleton key that only this attacker could have used, which is like kind of the worst case scenario. It's also the hardest level of difficulty, right, these people picked the hardest level. Said, if you want to do something much simpler is you go after a much lesser used service that's specifically at the target that you're going after. If you're going after a specific target and you're like, oh, they use this specific this one specific service that's much less popular, that doesn't have all these eyeballs on it, then you don't have to be as tricky.
Speaker 1: There haven't been any like this in OpenSSH, but there have been other attempts that the Open Source Security Foundation and the Open JavaScript Foundation have found that use similar social tactics. One project received emails from accounts asking to be designated as project maintainers despite having little prior involvement, and two other projects saw very similar suspicious patterns. This kind of social engineering is really effective because you don't have to manipulate code. You just manipulate the person who has their hands on the code. And it's only going to get easier to do and harder to detect.
Speaker 2: Now we're at the point where with AI, like you could be fake now and I have no idea if you really exist or vice versa.
Speaker 1: Wait are you are you suggesting that doing something like this might be a little bit easier because somebody could fake that they actually exist. Oh yeah, with a phone conversation or a video conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're already seeing that from the ransomware actors. It's easy for phone, right, So you're already seeing them fake people's voices. So people are getting phone calls from like their CEO. The CEO goes on CNBC for two minutes, they get their voice from CNBC, they plug it into a AI voice library, and then you call and like, hey, it's Bob, I need you do a million dollar transfer. Right, So that kind of stuff, and now you see real time video too. It's not perfect, but it's getting there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The trick, by the way, if this happens to any of your listeners. The trick is you can ask people to move, touch things in the background, do three sixty on the head. It's harder for them to do ears forever reason, but they'll get there, right, So, like if I asked you to take your glasses off, it'd be very hard for the model, Like take your glasses off.
Speaker 1: By the way, hold on, for those of y'all listening at home, I took my glasses off here, just double check it.
Speaker 2: Oh, you kind of frozen me when you did that, So that's sketch man, it's sketchyf as my students say. Sorry, they keep me on my Sanford soons.
Speaker 1: But you know, in the future, though, it is going to be easier to spoof people's personalities, yeah, and stuff like that. So these things that you're suggesting right now they work now, are they going to work in a year?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: I mean, the good thing about this is open source developers have become much more paranoid, right, So people have become much more paranoid about new people. And there's a downside of that, right that if you're trying to get into open source, it's harder. There have become projects where it's like, okay, great, let's meet up in person. If somebody's willing only to communicate with you an email, then you have to be kind of sketched out. Now, there have been some changes since this. I think people have been more paranoid. There's been a bunch of work On the flip side of AI is that traditional code scanning tools PREI code scanning tools are not extremely good at detecting this kind of malicious code. But there is some hope that some of the newer AI based code scanning tools could could do this kind of stuff at scale. The flip side is is AI is really good at writing code, So you know, do you not have to be SVR level anymore to be able to write a backdoor?
Speaker 4: That's good, That's probably true as.
Speaker 1: Well, it's open source too much of a risk in the age of AI, and can we protect ourselves from another hack like this?
Speaker 3: That's after the break.
Speaker 1: So this and I want to get back into kind of the play by play here, but a lot of this hinges on open source. So and I think one of the really kind of concerning things about this entire thing that happened or almost happened is the fact that it basically happened in broad daylight. Yes, and it happened because this is open source. The thing about open source, I think, is when you start to explain it to somebody who's never heard of it. Are you familiar with the galaxy brain meme?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I'm talking about? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I feel like this is like that galaxy brain meme, where at the very top, when you tell somebody to open source, the response is, this is a terrible idea. Everybody can see the code. And then you get a little bit further down it's, oh, this is a great idea. Everybody can see the code, and then they hear about xutails when we get down to the bottom, and it's a terrible idea. Everybody can see the code. What's the true galaxy brain take on this for open source?
Speaker 2: I mean, people go back and forth. So one of the ideas is that if you can see all the code, you can see all the bugs.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Is the idea that because it's open source, that it should be more secure than closed source because you could see the flaws. I don't think that has empirically turned out to be true, right, And so I think what I would say is I'm a big proponent of open source. I think it's great. I think it has a humongous economic benefit to the world. The truth is is the entire kind of cloud competing revolution we're all living through only exists because of open source software. So that's an incredible thing. That's a wonderful thing. Open source is great from an economic perspective, it is great from an innovation perspective. We should not pretend that it magically solves trust and security problems. And if you're a company that's relied upon open source, you have a ethical and moral obligation to deal with the security aspects of it, and it contribute back. And I do think that is something that's gone lost, is that people have just kind of assumed somebody else's dealing with it, and everybody assume somebody else is doing the security work, and that turns out not to be true.
Speaker 1: You know, I think that really gets the core of what a lot of this is. Because if somebody sees XU tills there was a potential security flaw in that, Okay, well I don't care about that.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 1: Oh, well, you know it's involved with open as a stage. Well, I don't use that either. I don't have that app on my phone. I don't know what you're talking about. And in this weird way, I feel like the more and more technology actually starts to become just magic, that things just work. Yeah, we are less and less actually tech literate. All the stuff that was science fiction even ten years ago, two years ago, frankly is it's just normal now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so we're able to do so much with technology just regular people things we just do with our phone every day, that we've become really removed from the technology itself, and so less and less of us, fewer and fewer was actually know how to use a computer. Yeah, and so this feels totally removed from us. This is like, oh, this is some weird nerds shit. I'd like, I don't use that nerd program. Doesn't affect me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you're totally right. I mean, I tell my Stanford students. Security is one of the best fields to get into professionally because it's the only part of computers it gets worse every year. Everything else magically gets better. Man, So you could find yourself in any other field being made irrelevant, But if you get into security, you have job security for life because every year.
Speaker 4: I've been in it. It's gone worse.
Speaker 2: And one of the reasons is because you say it's nerdship. But even the nerds we get the normal median nerd gets further and further away from the truth, the reality of what's going on on computers. So when I learned how to program, I learned assembly language, right, I learned how to write like the lowest level languages. And then you know, they stopped teaching assembly language unless you took special classes, and you learn, like in Python, right, like a very high level language that you don't even you know, you don't learn how to like do memory management.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean Python pithon.
Speaker 1: And it's even just to break this down like Python for a casual person, you can look at it. You can kind of tell what's going on. It basically looks like English. Yeah, assembly is letters and numbers.
Speaker 2: Right, right, But the nice thing about assembly is it's the truth of the matter.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It has a one to one matching to what the processor itself is doing. And from a security perspective, if you look at it, is the reality of what a security flaw is is seen in the assembly.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: In Python, you get further, you get abstracted away, you get further from the reality of what's actually going on on the computer. Now what you see it's incredibly powerful, it's incredibly cool, and so I'm gonna I'm not gonna crap on it because I think it's an incredibly good thing for people. But you look at like Claude three point seven code. You know, this new Claude model, and you see people on Twitter who don't know anything about computers and they're able to program now because they can go into there and they could say, build me software that does X. And that is going to be terrible for security. It's super cool for people's economic opportunities because any bigap you can become a program right now. But man, are people in security gonna love it because now you don't need to know anything about how computers work and you're just gonna ask the AI system to build it for you.
Speaker 4: And I see it with my students.
Speaker 2: Stanford students like one of the top computer science programs in the world, and you can graduate and not actually really understand how operating systems work. I apologize to Sandford Computer Science department, right, but really like you can have a totally productive career in Silicon Valley and not really understand what's going on three or four layers down. In fact, it's better for you not to write. It's better because you're at the high level where you're much more productive. You're much more productive having the AI do the work for you. You're much productive having get hub Copilot help you rewrite stuff. You're much more productive using all the cloud intermediation layers. And so that's one of the reasons why security gets worse every single year is that we add these layers of abstraction that makes things easier for people. And AI is the ultimate abstraction layer, because now you can talk to computers and plain English and have them do incredibly complex things.
Speaker 1: The thing about this whole story, I mean, I'm thinking about you know, we're in a time right now where anything bad happens or almost happens. Netflix documentary, Hulu documentary, it's a true crime podcast. At some point, I don't see that happening with this. This is something that, as you were saying, was almost it truly could have been catastrophic. Yeah, but it's also kind of boring.
Speaker 2: It's money, Well, you don't think I could get I could sell ten episodes to Netflix on this.
Speaker 1: If you can hire me as a producer, I'd love to help. But you see what I'm saying, it takes a while to even explain what the heck we're talking about. Yeah, And I think that comes back to some of this in the same way that this vulnerability was introduced via social engineering. A lot of this is social I mean a lot of your work you probably think about this. How do you get people to care about something like this?
Speaker 2: I mean, so that's that's a challenge. That's one of the biggest challenges. If you're like a chief information security officer, one of your big jobs is getting the rest of the company to care about security. Ciso's we have a reputation of being the people who say no all the time. So I was the CISO of Facebook and I once walked into a meeting with a bunch of other vps and somebody literally said like, oh shit, some of this year like hey guys, I.
Speaker 4: Can hear you. I can hear you, and like, no, no, it's not you.
Speaker 2: It's just like whenever you come like it's just because you're telling us, like there's a coup in Turkey or something terrible, Like because I was just the bare or bad news, right. But this is what's a real challenge for my colleagues, and it's a real challenge for us as a society. People don't want to think that the systems that they rely upon are fragile, and I think that's like a real problem.
Speaker 3: What do we learn from this? What is it?
Speaker 1: Let me just say because I don't I personally don't think just being out and talking to people, if I was trying to if I try to tell somebody, hey, yeah, man, what do you think about the xdutails thing?
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 4: You know, hey buddy, what's up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Has that Has it changed anything about how? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Has that changed anything about how you go about your life? People can tell me no. So I got to ask somebody who's actually closer to this. Has this changed how you approach things? Has this changed how the industry approaches things? Has this changed how? I mean the theory that you're putting out is that this is a state actor? Has this changed how national security is being looked at?
Speaker 2: So for companies that know what they're doing, it has changed that they approach open source. For a handful of really big you know, like the Googles, the Metas, the Amazons, the Microsoft's, the really big tech companies that do a lot of open source work. They are looking more carefully at open source for security companies to do this work. We're investing in software and AI that can do this work for us. But it has not changed anything massively. Right, We're still running Linux, We're still all pulling in fifty thousand packages. We have these humongous dependency graphs. The truth is, you can't just pivot all these things, right. It has made us more concerned about these problems. When you talk to CISOs, my colleagues and I, we're all more concerned. But we can't magically pivot off of the infrastructure we have built over a decade. I do not think we've dealt with the fact that if you get on the subway in the morning and you look around, most of the people on that train in their pocket. Ex Utils is in their pocket. Every single person in there, hundreds of copies of their social Security number is sitting on servers that would have been backdoored by this attack. That's how you can think of it, right, So that's how close.
Speaker 3: We can man.
Speaker 1: So just some closing thoughts here. Again, the reason that most people don't know about what was almost the biggest hack in the history of the Internet is because this is really hard to describe to a non technical audience. I mean, when you say XU tills or Linux or open ssh, people's eyes just rolling the back of their heads.
Speaker 3: But we can't.
Speaker 1: Allow tech literacy to be a barrier to understanding how the world works and the truth is, even beyond all the tech jargon, a lot of these things are very human and they're not so hard to understand. And so that's one of the things that we're really trying to do here on kill Switch as we keep doing these episodes, is to open it up so that more people are able to feel like they're part of the conversations that affect all of us. And that is it for this one, for real. Thank y'all so much for listening to kill Switch. You can hit us up at kill Switch at Kaleidoscope dot NYC if you've got any thoughts or if there's anything you want us to cover in the future, and you can get me at dex Digi that's the d e x d ig I on Instagram or blue Sky if that's more your thing, and if you like the episode. You know, take that phone out of the pocket and leave us a review. It helps people find the show, which in turn helps us keep doing our thing. And this thing is hosted by me Dexter Thomas. It's produced by Sena Ozaki, Daryl luck Potts and Kate Osborne. Our theme song is by Kyle Murdoch, who also makes the show from Kaleidoscope. Our executive producers are Ozma Lashin, mangesh Hot Togodur, and Kate Osborne. From iHeart our executive producers are Katrina Norville and Nikki E.
Speaker 3: Tour. That's it for this time.
Speaker 1: Catch on the next one.