Speaker 1: All right, we are happy to welcome Max Anderson to the podcast. Max Rising Tigers prospect. He's out in the Arizona Fall League right now. He's been tearing it up out there. Max, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy to be here.
Speaker 3: So Max, you know, Arizona Fall League. Let's just kind of go right there. It is very current, Like how does that happen?
Speaker 4: Like how are you approached?
Speaker 3: Like you know, like how far in advance do you kind of know this is gonna you know, your season's going to extend a little bit, and then just sort of like the day to day of participating in this. In this you know, you're concentrating your game, but also like you're in a random house right now. It's not your home, Like, how how does that happen from a player's perspective?
Speaker 4: And what's it? What's the experience been like for you this year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we we kind of find out about a month month left of the season and then kind of it's nothing glamorous or anything.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of a fun call with.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, some guys in the in the front office with the Tigers and they'll call you and say, hey, we'd like you to represent you represent us in the Fall League, and you know, it's kind of something that you can't really turn down, so everybody usually says yes, but.
Speaker 2: No. So that that was.
Speaker 5: Pretty cool to get that call and be able to just talk and kind of see that the Tigers like they kind of thank you pretty highly if they're wanting to send you here. And I mean, as far as being down here, it's it's awesome. I mean, I was just got off the phone with my my with my parents and they're in forty degree weather and it's freezing rain, and so it makes it a little easier.
Speaker 2: To be out here in ninety degree weather.
Speaker 5: But kind of the day to day here, I mean we just i mean night games pretty relaxed, just kind of like the season, like get a sleep in a little bit and you know, trying not to stay in bed too long, and then we'll go to the field work out every day. For me, that's kind of a big part is trying to get my body in the best shape for you know, next year, because in a sense, this is kind of still like the start of your off season. Uh so kind of making that balance so you're still able to play, uh play good, but also getting your body ready for the next season is kind of a tricky thing that the Tigers have helped helped me with.
Speaker 2: But I'm having a blast out here.
Speaker 5: I mean the guys that we're playing with, I mean the guys that I'm living with, they're they're awesome, a great time to be around. And uh, you know friends that have came in with came to the in to the pro baseball uh, that I have had for the two and a half years i've been been here.
Speaker 1: So so what wait, what's your what's your compound? Like, we know you're you're with Kevin mcgonag, Well who else is there? And what what do you guys do in the downtime?
Speaker 5: Yes, so Carlos like Erika, he's a pitcher. He's also here. Uh, we all came came in the same draft class, so we were pretty close and it was nice that we got to live together. It's just us three and uh, kind of a pretty pretty normal Arizona house. It's got to pool out back, so we do a lot of just kind of hanging out in the pool.
Speaker 2: All three of us like the golf.
Speaker 5: So, uh, it's kind of kind of worked out nice that, I mean, no complaints. They put us in a great spot in Arizona. There's I mean countless things to do that in your free time. So we've been busy.
Speaker 3: Well, you know you mentioned a couple of guys there and your class, very highly regarded class. I'm curious, like you being a second round pick. You know McGonagall mentioned Max Clark at the top there. Like when you're in the day to day in the miners, you know, grinding, grueling.
Speaker 4: Do you and even in the games against your opponents.
Speaker 3: Do you like look at hey, do you look at yourself as like I'm a second round pick. I should be doing this. This is my timeline. I carry myself a certain way. And b do you look at your teammates slash your opponents like, oh, that guy was a top five pick, that guy was a first round pick. You know this player got this bonus? Like, does does the ore exist for the guys that like, you know, people like us talk about but you're seeing them with them day to day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Uh for me, this is definitely gonna sound like a stock answer. But I I like, personally like I don't I don't see myself like as any like anything special, And.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've kind of been like that my whole way. Like when I was a.
Speaker 5: High schooler and I went to like a camp somewhere and talked to the coach and I was going home, and I was like, gosh, I guess I'm getting recruited now, Like I never thought this would happen. Like I just kind of don't see things in a sense, like don't take them more than what they are, If that's the right wording. I think it's it's tough, like when you like, for me, like I'm a huge baseball fan, so like I've followed like prospects and drafts my whole life. So like when I see guys that like we're drafted high, like I definitely recognize it. And when you're playing them, Uh but I think that's also a key to succeeding in baseball, is like trying to take the name off their back and just take the person for who they are and being able to play like cause like you go up and face like a Paul Skins or Chase Burns, like those guys are good pitchers alone, Like if you let their name do they're talking for them, Like it's gonna make it even harder to.
Speaker 2: Get a hit off them.
Speaker 5: Uh, so you got to just be able to play baseball and kind of see everybody as the same, even though that I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I mean, people are a lot better.
Speaker 2: They got drafted for a reason that high and kind of all that.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up that high school story because I wanted to get into your story a little bit. You grew up in Omaha, actually spent a little bit of time there. Nice town, great zoo, right, oh yeah, and then you went to the University of Nebraska's right down the road. I guess what type of player were you in high school? And why were you surprised when you started getting recruited.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So in high school, I mean I had an older brother and he was he loved baseball. He wasn't very good, so I kind of always I always watched him play baseball and watched everything that he did, and he, I mean, he loved it, and so in my mind, I was just playing.
Speaker 2: And just kind of whatever happens happens.
Speaker 5: I never I mean, all everybody goes to like showcases and plays travel ball nowadays, didn't. I didn't do any of that really ever until my junior fall so I played I don't know if you guys know, legion baseball like high school. Yeah, so I played that in the summers, and I didn't do any travel ball, so I didn't really know what was out there, like if any college coaches like liked, how if I was good or not, like realistically didn't really get a see like uh kind of weigh myself against like other top ranked prospects.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: So to say in high school, how I got recruit I went to just a bunch of camps in the fall, like college baseball camps, and they were great.
Speaker 2: To me.
Speaker 5: It was pretty cool to be able to just see a bunch of different colleges and almost take it as like a visit to the college town. Even though that I mean probably fifty percent of them didn't like, didn't think I was good enough to go there, so but it was it was pretty cool. I mean, I I had kind of a weird recruiting story. So I was going to committed to text A and M when I was a sophomore and went to a camp and I was a sophomore called them and then then kind of just committed like within it all within like a month and then like so that COVID draft, that five round draft that happened, and just kind of they had a lot of guys that were supposed to get drafted a normal draft and didn't get drafted, which naturally happens. So then kind of just didn't work out there, and it just happened that the Texas A and M staff got hired at the hitting coach got hired as the head coach at Nebraska, Will Bolt, and within like twenty four hours, I was going to Nebraska and it was the best best decision in my life.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so funny how things work out sometimes exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Which were you a multi sport guy in high school?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played basketball as well. I was not very good, though.
Speaker 5: I came off the bench and with average about the same amount of fouls as points.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, everyone, you gotta have one of those guys on your team.
Speaker 2: I liked it exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, well, then you you spend three years at Nebraska, then you know, you get drafted by the Tigers. So that's a to me from the outside, that feels like a pretty accelerated timeline for someone you know, surprise, you get recruited, and then you know you end up at Nebraska, like you said, and all of a sudden you're a second round pick. So like the draft process, I'm also curious about Max, Like how was that for you? Did you have any idea like where you were going to go? Did you kind of have your mind made up like at that time or like yeah, what was that Like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I mean you kind of get a grasp of where you could go. I mean with the with the MLB draft, I mean everything's so crazy with like there can be like deals made beforehand and kind of all that crazy stuff that can happen. So you don't really know until like you get drafted that things are going to happen. And I I didn't. There's probably a mixu of like four or five teams that I felt like were pretty interested in me, and then it just kind of so happened that the Tigers were the ones that took me and my I was more personally, I was more nervous, uh, for my buddy getting drafted, Bryce Matthews, like because he he was.
Speaker 2: Like first rounder.
Speaker 5: I was like, this kind of crazy and it's kind of surreal moment for me to watch him and then like he gets drafted and it turns over to me and I'm like, oh my gosh, like I might get drafted tonight.
Speaker 2: Too, Like it's pretty cool. Uh So it was.
Speaker 5: It was an all around just surreal moment and ended up three. I mean, two of my pretty close friends Mike Bovee got drafted too, to the Brewers right after. Uh So being able to see i mean, two of your buddies that you've played baseball with kind of your whole life get drafted is also a pretty cool moment, uh in a night for just you as a person.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: So the Tigers, So the Tigers were not one of those four or five teams that you were thinking.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 4: Am I reading that correctly?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I meant at the beginning of the day, I didn't didn't really have the Tigers on my horizon and then worked out for the best.
Speaker 4: About that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll do one more question then we'll get to a break here. But but before we move on, you know, you said going to Nebraska was one of the best decisions of your life. What was it that made that such a formative time for you as a player as a person When you look back when your time in Nebraska, what are the things that really come to mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, first off, just having I mean my friends from from growing up or there. They weren't playing baseball, but they were going to college there, so having them there was it was a definitely big time plus people to see them and family was really close so they could come and watch every game, so that was a huge part, just the friends and family aspects of things.
Speaker 2: And then going there, I felt like I grew as a player a lot.
Speaker 5: I felt like I was kind of just kind of like a didn't know much, like just kind of a baseball player coming out of high school, didn't really play high level, like the highest of level baseball, didn't really know how good I was. And I felt like Nebraska kind of just fine tuned some things for me, helped me a bunch defensively, and helped me a bunch just mentally getting to the right spot, and kind of turned me into the player I am today.
Speaker 1: So for any listeners who don't know, Max hit four fourteen with twenty one homers his final year at Nebraska, not a shabby stat line.
Speaker 2: Treated me good.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's get to some some professional ballplayer timeline stuff with you. Everybody, asked, like, you know, major league players, Like what was your you know, welcome to the major league's moment? And that hasn't happened for you yet, So when that does happen, we'll get you back on we'll ask, but like, what about the welcome to the Miners moment? Is there like a like you know, like either on the field, off the field all this stuff. Because I we have Austin Jackson as a part of our podcast and he goes, you know, how much do you really love baseball? You know, going through that grind, So like, is there a welcome to the Miners moment for you?
Speaker 1: Max?
Speaker 5: I I kind of was going in the same spot, like I think the biggest welcome to the Miners moment is playing one hundred and thirty whatever games you play, and just I mean for me, that was a big difference from college. But I can't imagine like a high school guy going to straight to full season, like that's a lot a lot of baseball to be played, and you're getting drafted high like they're expecting you to play five six days a week. So I think just the sheer like length of the season I think is to welcome to the minor leagues for me and probably a lot of guys just trying to keep your body together so you can, i mean take six hundred a bats and you know, not stay healthy.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned early or you know, working with the Tigers to develop off season plans things like that. You know, I've heard you had really an important formative off season before this past year. What have you learned so far about what it takes to get your body ready and this past off season in particular, kind of what did that look like for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, kinda kind of just taken serious what you do and just kind of how you go about it.
Speaker 2: Like I think.
Speaker 5: Training like you can you can take it a few different ways, like you can just do it and you know, check the box and say that it's been done.
Speaker 2: Where you can do it for a reason.
Speaker 5: And I'm a big believer in just doing stuff for a reason and not like just doing a bunch of eyewashed for no reason.
Speaker 2: That's not going to get you anywhere. So just having a reason behind everything we do.
Speaker 5: Back in Omaha and then here as well, Like there's like I like to be able to figure out like what's just going to help me do Like in the next season, and I feel like that's helped me put other a plan to be able to stay healthy and just be able to handle a minor league season and kind of show up to spring training in the best shape that I Can's.
Speaker 1: What's that look like you're talking more like functional strength type stuff or what's an example of going from some eyewash thing to something that's really making a tangible impact in what you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think a lot of stuff with like jumping an agility I think is huge for minor leaguers because you're I mean for infielders, you're doing a pre pitch for I mean probably like ten thousand times or more throughout the year. So doing your jumps and making sure your quads and hammies are they're ready to go when you get started in the spring. So a lot of quick agility stuff and a lot of jumps I think for me was very important. And then being able to maybe shave off a few pounds and be kind of lighter on your feet so you can feel good and feel light playing in the infield. You know, every step matters, Uh, when getting getting the few extra getting a few extra outscrumballs for your pitcher, Uh, so those things kind of go hand in hand, uh you know, being a little lighter and then having a little more agility under your belt.
Speaker 2: I think it was those were the huge things for me.
Speaker 3: Where where's your comfort level that you know, the various positions that the that the Tigers have had you, you know, perform at in the infield, and and and honestly, I'm actually curious about this, like more generically too, because we see at the major league level what Colt Keith has gone through, you know, you know, you know, being you know, third base, second base, third base again and in the even first base too. Uh so, So, so what has that experience been like for you? And then just kind of if you can just kind of illustrate like how those things are different and what the challenges are at you know, at each position.
Speaker 5: Yeah, uh so I came in, played in second base, played my last year of college at second base, and played i mean the full season.
Speaker 2: I'm fairly comfortable there.
Speaker 5: I feel like second base for me at least, is just more like you can sit back a little more more of like a thinking position rather than third base to where you i mean, you're basically playing hockey goalie over there.
Speaker 2: Especially now.
Speaker 5: I mean, these guys are hitting the ball one hundred and twenty over there at you, and you kind of just a kind of just a punching bag for him. So you's got to you got to find a way to lock in there for I mean a short amount of second seconds and it's not a lot of thinking, and sometimes that's good for a lot of people, and sometimes it's not. In second base, sometimes you think too much, and sometimes that's good for people, and sometimes it's not. It's just kind of taking the mindset into the game knowing.
Speaker 2: Kind of what you're gonna do. You're still fielding ground balls that you've done your whole life.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna say it's easy anything, but it's it's still hard to be able to switch positions and being able to kind of take two different mindsets into a game. But it's been good to me. I feel feel pretty comfortable at either position right now. So just kind of more taking more ground balls. I feel like infield is a thing where you can kind of take a lot of reps and improve, and there's some things maybe in life that that's not the case, but you can just take a lot of reps there and try and just you know, get more use to everything.
Speaker 2: It's all really you can.
Speaker 1: Do, all right, Maxim, I'm just gonna keep it real with this question. You've not yet played a major league game. I'm gonna guess you've already gotten a little bit of taste of like the business realities of baseball. Like the summer Tigers are in first place, there are trade rumors everywhere people like me or like Max Anderson could be someone who makes did any of that? Did you catch wind of that? Did that impact you at all? This summer?
Speaker 5: I honestly think the Tigers do a pretty good job of it of keeping it like.
Speaker 2: Kind of off of like.
Speaker 5: Our minds almost, And it definitely will catch I mean catch everybody by surprise when you do get traded, because you just kind of are going about your day, and I mean, we still have to play our week of baseball games the week of the trade deadline, so it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: We had a few experiences this year.
Speaker 5: One of my good buddies, Jim Jarvis, got traded to the Braves, and that was like we were finishing our game. He walks out of the clubhouse like to take a call, and we're like, oh, he's calling his mom or something and he comes back and he's like, oh, getting traded, like and then everybody's like what, Like I was just out of nowhere, Like yeah, And that's that's for the most part, how it goes. And I think that's definitely kind of like give and take, like pros and cons. But I think gets better that it's not like they're not like constantly saying like, hey, we could do this, this and this, and then you got to go out and face ninety eight and it's just like I'm thinking about everything right now. It's it's a tough thing to balance, but it's a realistic thing and that's why it is a business. And you kind of know what you're getting into, uh when you when you when you get into it, and then when you finally see it becomes real.
Speaker 2: Uh. But yeah, it's it's uh, it's.
Speaker 5: Everything you make it and you just kind of got to keep on thinking about baseball and not the stuff outside and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess it's one of those things that it's like partially a compliment because like again it's like people like us where we're just like making fake trays that are completely meaningless. But it's like, well, if you want to get a good player, you have to give up something good in return. So it's like, you know, these people are like, well, you know Max is doing you know, pretty well here, maybe he could help be part of a package you get this asset. By the same time, it's also saying, well, I guess we don't like them that much. We're willing to part with him. So it's like it's like a good way compliment. It's kind of you know, I can only imagine what that's like to go through, but for sure you've paid several compliments to the Tigers organization today, Max, and so like they're well regarded with the farm system and the organizational structure and all that stuff. And from the outside and mainly from the outside, it's all just like, oh, these are good players and they might become good major league players. From the inside, why why are the Tigers a well run organization? Why is the farm system highly regarded and successful and like all these things?
Speaker 5: From your perspective, yeah, I think I think genuinely, as easy as it is, I think it's because they just care about like the guys that they drafted.
Speaker 2: They they They've always kind of preached that.
Speaker 5: Like they want to draft the right guys, and I think that kind of that same mentality goes with like having the right coaches in place, and that makes a big difference in a player's career, is having you know, you have guys that want you to succeed. And I've heard stories not like now, but like in the past of like other organizations, like there's some some coaches just kind of want to get their name connected to a player and then move up. I don't get that sense in the Tigers organization, Like these guys like really want their players to succeed and just like want to do anything to help you. So I think that's a pretty awesome thing to be able to. I mean, I had no choice of where I was going. It was I like just got put here and they drafted me and it just turned out to be great for me. And that these guys like you can talk to them whenever, Like we have hitting coaches that will pick up the phone and just kind of talk shop with you whenever. And infield guys that no more than anything I could ever imagine in about infield that I have never.
Speaker 2: Even thought of. That I'm doing now.
Speaker 5: Uh, so they've they've expanded, uh expanded my knowledge of the game and helped me out a bunch.
Speaker 1: What is an infield tip that you had never even thought of that now you're thinking about.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 5: Oh man, Uh, A lot of stuff with pre pitches to take off like time and agility, I mean to take to add to add like agility and help you cover a lot of it, a lot of ground, like just like there's always the normal like pre pitch of what you're doing. And then they come up to you with, uh, you know, this new thing to try and you're like.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that feels good? Like where'd you think of that?
Speaker 5: And like, I don't know, it's just it looked faster when we saw someone else do it, and we thought we should try it. And you know, it's baseball. You're looking at what other other other people are doing and you know you gotta to copy that game. You're just trying to be the best player you can. But yeah, it's it's crazy how much they look at the game and care for their players.
Speaker 1: Actually, growing up in Omaha, what team were you a fan of? Who's your favorite player?
Speaker 5: So growing up I was always a fan of the Royals. It's just kind of the closest team. And then my favorite player was Alex Gordon because he's from Nebraska and then went to the Royals, so kind of the Nebraska career path, almost as close as you can to Nebraska.
Speaker 2: So we were always fans of.
Speaker 5: Him and he was an awesome, awesome baseball player for a long time.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he certainly was all right, A little bit of like an off the wall question here, Max. Not a lot of baseball players wear glasses, so so I'm curious. I'm curious, like, you know why you kind of chose was into to go that route, Like on the field, there is there anything an interesting behind that.
Speaker 2: Nothing too interesting there.
Speaker 5: I mean when I was in high school, I so I first got in glasses and they're like, why don't you try contacts like you play baseball. And the first day I started wearing my glasses was my senior year at high school and we had a game that night and so I and so I put them on. I was good, and then I tried to put in my contacts for the game. They're like, you probably shouldn't wear your glasses might break and stuff couldn't get my contacts in and I got so mad and like just was so pissed off, and so I put my glasses on and I went out there and had a great game.
Speaker 2: I think I hit two home runs with my glasses on.
Speaker 5: So from that moment on, I never even thought about contacts.
Speaker 2: But I just rolled with glasses.
Speaker 5: And that was back when I just wore glasses like these for my game.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't have any I didn't have any specs.
Speaker 5: I was just wearing my Harry Potter glasses out there to play baseball and it worked out.
Speaker 2: And then got to Nebraska and they finally hooked me up. I said, you can't wear these for the game, like you need some actual oak Ley's.
Speaker 1: So it was there, you go, that's an upgrade. Did they tell you to try to go contacts at any point? And you were like, no, there was.
Speaker 2: There was never that much of a push.
Speaker 5: I was always I mean, I think they knew the answer, so that probably helped him to try and push me. But uh, nobody's really ever tried to make the change. I guess the thing about it probably is if he's doing good, why change anything? I guess maybe, but uh, yeah, I just I'm a fan of him, and I've gotten so used to him.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I could play without him now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you ever get you ever get.
Speaker 3: Rizzed on the field for glasses, like, you know, opponents, I mean, you know Big ten baseball, college baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fans can be ruthless.
Speaker 3: Uh you know you ever you ever hear from the crowd or even the opponents, even in the minors anything?
Speaker 5: Uh more in college, when I was a freshman and we went to Arkansas, I was getting a lot of I was playing third base then too, so not a not very far away from the home home fans and the home dugout there, so they were letting me have it there.
Speaker 1: Hey, well that's all good, Max. If you keep on this trajectory, maybe we'll have a bunch of fans in the stands at Camerica wearing some some Max Anderson glasses.
Speaker 2: One day for sure. Yeah, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, I think that's all I've got, Kierany, got anything else from Max?
Speaker 4: Well, just on that.
Speaker 3: I think this is a good way to wrap it up. Like we've talked about off seasons and all this stuff, Like what is your expectations for twenty twenty six. I can tell you what the fans expectations are and what ours are for twenty twenty six. But like when you look at like this, you know it's all the same and you know, blah blah blah and all the cliche stuff, but yeah, the cuff of something that is a childhood dream. So like, what is your expectation for twenty twenty six and how are you kind of preparing to meet that moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: For me, I mean, had a great offseason last year, so trying to do a lot of the same stuff that I did that past offseason. And then I mean show up to spring training and you know that's that's really where I mean, they they got a lot of their decisions already made, and there's probably a few few maybe you know, swing spots that they're going to make decisions on. But all you really can do, like I guess, like with the trade deadline, like things are out of your hands. Like all you can do is play as good as possible. And you know, at the end of the day, like the old saying from a baseball guy, like if if you hit, like, they're going to find a spot for you.
Speaker 2: So I think just got to play as good as you can and you know, hope for the best.
Speaker 5: As as easy as that sounds and boring as it sounds like, they're there's no magic stone or any secret affront in baseball, Like it's still the still.
Speaker 2: The same game.
Speaker 5: So yeah, just gotta just gotta keep going and keep hitting and you know, hopefully things turn out good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good mindset to have.
Speaker 3: And it's easy to get caught up in all this other stuff, especially in this era social media, all that stuff, but you know, it's what happens between the white lines is ultimately gonna They're gonna determine everything, and everybody's timeline is different and it will happen when it's supposed to happen, right exactly.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, I.
Speaker 3: Want to thank Max for coming on with us. A reminder you guys can follow us on Twitter, follow us on Instagram, YouTube trying to Grow YouTube, Tiger Territory Shop dot com featured Tiger Territory merch like this sweet hoodie that I have on right now. Uh So for Cody Stavanhangen, I'm Karen STECHLEI thank you and Max Anderson everybody have a great ti