Speaker 1: The Players Club is presented by Pepsi, the official soft drink of the Washington Commanders, and in part by Johnson Kendo Johnson, the official insurance broker and risk management partner of the Washington Commanders. Where our passion is your protection. Welcome to another edition of the Players Club. And have we got a show for you? Guess who died? We're gonna talk about that Marshall, A lot of more trade, who got the Doves of the week versus the New York Giants? Got to preview our upcoming game against the Pittsburgh Stealers. We got a special guest.
Speaker 2: Scary Terrys.
Speaker 1: Everyone is going, but first we got to talk about the Commander's big trade. Oh yes, Tadam, We're gonna let you start this thing off.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you know, I'm I'm happy to be talking about this dude, just knowing what he means to this guy to the left of me, you know.
Speaker 2: In the Ohio, get it.
Speaker 3: But in all seriousness, man like when you got've heard, you know, when it hit the wire that we was getting my sean, A lot of more.
Speaker 2: What was the first team came to mind? You know, I'm gonna start with you London.
Speaker 1: So I've Marshawn is from Cleveland. I'm from Cleveland. My one of my good friends actually was his high school principal with the Glenville High School. Ted Again Senior was his head coaching high school. We all know Ted Again Junior, the neighborhood that he grew up in. I mean, dog like, you gotta, you gotta, you gotta scrap, fight for everything. So I was thinking, like, man, we finally got us a lockdown corner guy that you can assign to whoever that team's number one corner is and say, hey, you got him, We're gonna worry about these other guys. So that was that was the first thing that came to mind. Man, we needed to we needed to add to the pieces to this team, and not just for the team's number one receiver that we go against, but looking forward, like they feel like we really can make a deep playoff. Yeah, with this team that we have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one of the first things I wanted to ask because I just know, you know, from y'all guys respect of being a defensive guy, and then you know, coming over to you Sean being being a cornerback, what would be his impact?
Speaker 1: I mean, you up.
Speaker 3: You watch these guys for what up to what we played nine games this season so far, What is one thing knowing when we picked him up, what pact? What instant impact can he bring to this secondary and his defense.
Speaker 4: I think the instant impact is obviously you know, he gives you the ability to play one on one coverage, and he gives your ability for coach with to be able to play zone schemes as well. And he's physical at the at the point of attack. He has the ability to tackle. But I think what London said was really important. His attitude humol out of Cleveland, like when he said the dog like the kid is a dog. I'm excited he's a buck eye played corner they got. They had a great group of guys when he was there, from Gary on Conley and Eli Apple.
Speaker 5: And all those And he's a competitor man.
Speaker 4: So when you add him to the mix with the other players and his attitude, that dog ass attitude.
Speaker 5: When it comes into the mix, the level.
Speaker 1: Everybody comes out. Here's something else that I feel like he'll have the impact he'll have and we we we haven't talked about this because when you first think of and to the corner you think, okay, and to the cornerback position, you think coverage. Adding him to the team also will help the run defense. And here's why. When you look at the look at our game against the New York Giants, we showed a lot of Cover two to start to start the pre snap and played a lot of kind of quarters coverage or Cover six. And you know, but now you'll be able to play more pre snap single high safety and they may still show pre snap too hot, but you can maybe bring bring him down to the box because you can you feel comfortable playing more single high safeties, more man man, he adds, Now you can probably play pressure a little bit more, bring more five man pressure, bring more six man pressure, things like that, because you have a guy that at this to the additional additional additional cover got so not only helping you on the on the coverage standpoint aspect, he could help us the run run defense. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So New Orleans gets three third round, fourth round and the sixth round pick from US and we get him with a fifth round pick. Do you think that was some good I guess you can say capital we gave.
Speaker 5: From I think so when you consider, you know, one of those picks came.
Speaker 1: From the Dahaan Dotson trade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we all were little kind of shocked at first when we heard about that.
Speaker 1: That wasn't we kept that pick.
Speaker 4: Well, we kept that picked, but so we so we didn't get anything from this sign that tribute. We got a third we got, so that's what I'm saying. So we got a third that you can add towards a lot of more.
Speaker 1: So the third that we got from Philly was Miami's third round draft, which is a high if you look at where miamis.
Speaker 2: We kept. We kept that pick from Gay from our a lot later.
Speaker 1: And we can to do that because we had an extraor to do this. We had an extra third and then that.
Speaker 2: Sixth round pick came from from us giving away.
Speaker 5: So I think it was an excellent move. And Lennon, you touched on it.
Speaker 4: When you make that decision to go after a lot of more, that's saying we know that we're gonna play some tough receivers Philly.
Speaker 1: We know that Detroit got some pretty good receivers.
Speaker 4: We know that Minnesota may have a Jefferson or somebod and we know that we might.
Speaker 5: Play Tampa again. We play we saw in week one.
Speaker 4: What happened there so we can and the potential in the playoffs, we're gonna see some dolls.
Speaker 1: Not even the playoffs we got we got Dallas.
Speaker 3: I look at it like this, just from a receiver standpoint. One of the things that's being clear to me is watching odd guys in the secondary, is that we're not.
Speaker 1: That far away, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like even even even Saint Juice has elevated his game this year, how physical he's been playing. So one of the things that you know, we talked so much right before these shows, and Smooth said something that I couldn't think about it enough when when I saw that trade happen, was like, Bro, we've been forcing guys to play out of position. Now you get a guy to say, okay, the one you the man, So here's here's their man.
Speaker 1: We lock him up.
Speaker 3: Now you get a Saint Juice and all those other guys to be able to fall back into you know, a favorable matchups where Saint Justus can get a number two and then now you can get Santa still to getting you know, going to the slide and play the nickel or vice versa.
Speaker 2: However you want to do it.
Speaker 3: But it also besides those guys getting into different you know, I guess one, two and three, you know, positions far as corners. Now Joe Witt gets a chance to say, Okay, now I can play the defense I want.
Speaker 2: Now I could put them.
Speaker 3: In these coverages and these schemes and these looks that I'm baiting you to do something that you want to do, because now I don't have to beast off trying to you know, I guess you can say protect anybody out.
Speaker 1: Here in the second Here's here's another element of that. You mentioned Saint Juws Sarah stick I had a lot of more. Yeah, Nono has been he's been playing great, he's been playing good. And it might be situations when you're playing three corners. You might say, hey, I'm gonna keep ignogoy on Thenogay Benogaie on the field, and you gotta be sander still ignogny in Yeah, Marshall.
Speaker 4: We called it penny when we had the three corners on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Or you may say we're gonna go dime, We're gonna have four corners on the on the field and we now I can have okay, y'all put tight end or we're talking about.
Speaker 4: That because that's eleven personnel. Because now you can be dime more nickel versus left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can be so so if they got three receivers on it, and it's an obvious true passing situation where it's not not like a third and three, third and two situations, but it was third seven, it's third and eight thirty ten. Instead of having a linebacker potentially and they had I know a lot of times they'll bring Percy Butler in, let's have him cover. Now you gotta you got four corners that you can have on the field, have that true corner, cover that tied end, and you just.
Speaker 4: Have you have more flexible flexibilities to package that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll mix the match, they'll fear fine, who are the best guys for that game? And Joe Jr. Talks about that, it's like who who are the who are the guys that gives us the best chance to win this game?
Speaker 4: And the thing I like about this team because we had a situation in Washington where we bought the hall in Yeah, in a in a in a room full of personalities in first round picks.
Speaker 1: Now you not smooth smooth on the first round more smooth, but personality first. He was the first ride. But the question is, you know you bring in a guy like a lot of More.
Speaker 4: You said, you know he earned that respecting the league where he's been All Pro Pro bowler. So now, guys, when you bring in a guy like that who's proven it's by the work of the last seven eight years, seven years, you know.
Speaker 1: That the guy is gonna gonna respect that.
Speaker 4: And it shouldn't be because Lonnon is talking about four guys got to play, or four corners or three gotta play. Sometimes the ego can get in, but this team loves each other.
Speaker 1: But you know what Sean was, we had a package you mentioned, you mentioned a Penny package. Well, they're know in that Penny package we would have We'd tell you have four corners on the field, take one, take one of the safeties off Blue. Blue had the flexibility where he could play safety and he also can play in the box. Thinking of thinking about that when a lot of More reminds me a lot about a lot of you. You know, a bigger corner, he's not afraid to tackle. Can you know you could do a lot of things. He's gonna mix it up. You can assign him to the number one guy. And then also think about what we acquired d Hall. That was the middle of the season. Yeah, they we picked him up in the middle of the season. Similar Yeah, similar situations.
Speaker 3: Kind of mentioned it because I was going to get to that question of asking you who are a corner that y'all can identify that say a lot of more reminds you of this particular guy that you play with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Blue fun very very similar in the sense that he just versatility any physical He's a tough kid like and the thing about it too, like a lot of people don't know about it.
Speaker 1: He can run, man like he can. He can he can really run, and.
Speaker 4: We had Davis is a bigger guy, but his hips he smooth and transition. And I can't tell y'all enough about what a dog attitude means. If we talk about this all the time, like corners have to be able to say I'm okay being number one. You know, I'm okay this, I'm comfortable right, And that attitude and that confidence gives Joe with that confidence, give the secondary the confidence, the linebacker and d line the confidence.
Speaker 1: I just think about the battles him and might have had Yeah, those are some epic battles, and both of those guys, they would have their moments. Yeah, Mike, Mike would have his moments, and if Marshawn would have his moments, So you know those are those are the type of thing. And hey, you might have scored a touchdown against me, you might have called a big, big pass, but this next play, I'm stripping up against you. So I love that part of aspect about them. Yeah, I love it. I love it as a whole.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: I just think when you looking at what we're trying to create here, especially from the culture standpoint, and what you've seen already prematurely throughout this season, Like that's what you've seen, that's the play you've seen. And he's coming into a system basically that you know, I guess you can say designed for the type of player he is.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, you know, no hose bar means business, and he's gonna go out there and handle his business.
Speaker 1: So I'm all up for man. Can't wait to see him playing, all right.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: So, as we mentioned, we got to talk about this game, the game we just had to get to. New York Football swept the Giants first time of the long time. Yeah, first time of loone. We were able to sweep the Giants. Man. We love beat the g men. Fellas, we gotta we gotta have our dubs of the week.
Speaker 7: And we're gonna lock this duves of the week.
Speaker 1: We got the dubs of the week. Turn out, Hey, at some point, if anybody watching, y'all want to send us an I stout go to the week chain dub chain. We appreciate that. All right, Blue, I'm gonna start with you. Who gets your dub of the week from the game against the Giants.
Speaker 4: Man again, I'm gonna have to we normally we picked players and Santana will pick a coach. I'm gonna go up there and said to me, it's coach Quinn. Here's why the coaching staff. We had a big miracle and Maryland, Yeah, big momentum excitement.
Speaker 1: It's easily to.
Speaker 5: Lose sight of a team we were supposed to go up there and beat.
Speaker 1: How many times have we seen it in the league?
Speaker 4: Team goes on the road and they playing a conference game, and they go up there and they get beat. Johns were and six at home. Daniel Jones has a winning record against US. We know it when it can be an easy game. Lenny, you talk about Dexa, Lawrence b robbed, b robbed before the game, is injured.
Speaker 1: You know, he's surprise injury. Before the game, he was intering into the guy. Yeah, but I'm saying we didn't know if he was gonna play.
Speaker 2: He tested out, and he tests.
Speaker 1: Out and can play. You know what. That's that That was a big loss.
Speaker 4: So for me, it was the It was the coaching staff having these guys prepared and not let down after a big win, an emotional win, going up there and take care of business in New York.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: You know, normally I beat the one that picked a coach. So since you did that, beat Yeah, that's all good. It's all good. I'm gonnas gonna be better. I'm gonna tell you why my dub of the he goes to the offensive line come into the game. What we talked about these guys had you know, their g men D line had what thirty five sacks.
Speaker 1: One National Football League.
Speaker 3: You got Launch, you got Karri Kid, you got Burns, you got these guys had their way with guys.
Speaker 2: And we talked about BEYONDI.
Speaker 3: And how he performed the first time out against Lawrence, he was like, hey, that's one guy that has his number. You know, Beyondish played well against him every time he sees him. He held him for an oph. He didn't even have a player that can really identify with saying that's the Clibory player he was the first time out. And then you kind of come in and say, all right, I'm gonna show you could do that again. That's hard, bro. I mean, we played teams twice in a season, and it's never it never looks like the first game.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 3: They either get you or you get them. It's never the same way twice. And for us to go out there and dominant and be dominated up front as a whole man, that young kid called me man, we can't say enough about what he does and what he brings to the left tackle balls, you know, not not having Lucas, not having somebody who can come in and sub for him, he went out there and held his own. So I have to give my dub of the week to the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We've been praising these guys a lot this year, so I'm loving the way this thing is trending, because you know, without them, we can't be specially in the run game. We can't be specially in the past game. So they get a lot of credit.
Speaker 4: And I remember in camp, you're talking about that's what you were nervous about.
Speaker 1: You talked about the line. Yeah they played outstanding, man, Yeah, they played outstanding. All right. You know, I got to just my chain, manst my chain for the double week. It's this is tough for me because on the booth review that that I do with brawn, we give out I got a heavyweight Combatus Championship belt and this past weekend it was Jaden. Jaden was a defending champ from the game against the Bears, and uh that d'ante follow was the competition. Jaye end up retaining the belt. So obviously those two guys are in competition for my double the Week. But as I sit here today, I'm gonna get a double the Week to Jeremy Chin. Jeremy Chen his best game, Yes he was. He was all over the field. I thought the way they utilized him in that game was was just Uh, it was terrific because they had him closer to the box. They blitzed him.
Speaker 8: A lot.
Speaker 1: He was excellent in coverage. Man Man it was. He was all over the field. He had seven tackles in the first half, end up with twelve and in the game. But just you can feel, you felt his presence and his impact in that ball game. So you know the game where defensively, you know, several guys made plays, follow had the two sacks. You know, always good. Johnny Dudon has been turning it on. But Jeremy Chen stood out to me and I'm gonna have to give him my double the week man, He's gonna get my.
Speaker 2: Dis He let the team in tackles to be like eleven times talk.
Speaker 1: About the quarterback. Jaden had another outstanding game. Yes, persumptive leader in the clubhouse right now for Offensive Rookie of the Year. What about m v P.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked that.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you had this for this this purpose only, and because I look at it like this, of course they're probably not going to want to give it to him because he's a rookie.
Speaker 1: Only happened one time, you can, but it was saying, well, the last offensive guy to do it was was Jim Brown. Yeah exactly. Oh no, I think Jim Brown almost got it. I don't think he got it the NFL MVP. I remember it as.
Speaker 3: I remember Robert Stint as a rookie and how he was kind of bought a line up for it too, and they was like, well, you're gonna get the Rookie of the Year, so let's just let you get there as somebody else. Well, I look at this a lot different because not only is this guy showing you that I'm a developed passer more so than I am a runner, you know what I mean, Like people want to identify you because of your skill sets as the next guy who did that. But this is not his game. You see what I'm saying. And I love that because we've been saying there for so long. Like, look, bro, I understand he's gifted when he leaves the pocket, but his gift is I can get out of danger when I need to. I'm not looking to do that with these legs. I'm going to pass the ball accordingly, and if it's not there, guess what, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Very poison.
Speaker 3: So I look at it like this man, if he stays on this rate, which it seems to me this is this is him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's hard to say that, Oh, we've seen this side of him. We've seen that side of No, we've seen the same guy from week one to two. The only thing we saw different from week one now is that he's not second guess.
Speaker 2: Won he has.
Speaker 3: He was hesitant throwing because he was like, well, I want to make sure it's there because he used to the college, you know, and he realized real, real fast. Okay, it's a guy gonna be here.
Speaker 2: Let me just still do what I do.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, I'm an accurate passor so let me go ahead and do it, you know, show them that I'm how.
Speaker 2: Accurate I am.
Speaker 3: But I will say, if he stays on this path, it would be hard. It would be hard because we know the other guy who's down the street, cousins, Lamar Jackson, he's on that same he's in the race for having his third one. It's it would be hard to kind of not give him that nod. If we keep on the pace we are.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you can give it to a rookie and Lamar's plan and I think he would be.
Speaker 5: Nationally.
Speaker 4: I think we will considered, but we got to be respectful to Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pat Holmes, I'm just saying but.
Speaker 1: Defeated.
Speaker 4: But his team, he's doing what he needs to do when he needs to do it. So I would I would say the only reason why is maybe because somebody may see Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes based.
Speaker 1: On or the guy in Detroit. I mean you got to oh yeah, I forgot quarter.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 4: But man, but is he in the conversation the conversation man? And you know, we saw CJ last year London Stroud at Houston and we thought, like he came on to your point, Santana. This boy he's been he's been outstanding and doing something amazing every game. Even in the Tempa game he had almost one hundred yards Russian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this kid is he could do it.
Speaker 3: And not only is he out there doing it, he has a purpose. It's not like he's here to say, Okay, yeah, I'm just trying to go out here and dominate in these statistics. No, I'm trying to do enough for us to win. And on the side of us doing all that, I'm also having in mind what CJ did last year.
Speaker 1: Those guys are guys and he said he spoke it.
Speaker 3: He said, yeah, man, you know I'm gonna take that down this year and I was kind of throwing out her. I said, oh, he said that before the season even started. He was shooting for what Stroud died to know that he came into the season with that in mind. Man, that's amazing to me, because you know, sometimes you want to put so much on your plate, you know what I mean to me, that was kind of like you're adding a couple of most slices to that places only good enough for three of them. You're trying to put five on that player.
Speaker 1: Thing gonna fall over.
Speaker 3: But he understands, you know what I'm saying, playing his play can hold.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: He's definitely, he's definitely in the conversation. I think it's really you gotta you gotta have Lamar in there. Joe Burrows having a really good season, but you Jared Golf, Yeah, man, Jared Patrick's gonna be in the conversation. They're undefeated, defeated. But Lamar, he's a He's a top five cadidate. He might even be top three. I think it's a lot of teams. I think it's top three. It's what your gears the man and I know you saw this young you uh, young dude. Still we call him young because we were a little bit older. Yeah, Jeff Reeves called a shout of us. I called us the o gz you be mentioned myself talked about how how happy is Uh. It's like, you know, being able to tap it up and see see us after the gas man talk about how proud we are.
Speaker 5: Awesome, bro, those guys man now that we saw that.
Speaker 3: No, because you know what, and this is crazy that he said that. I didn't even know he said that, so I didn't. This is my first time seeing it. But I did a show with Donna and Tony. You remember Tony equit me guy here. Tony had his show. I think it's called The Siline Report or something like that.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: And Donna was like, yeah, ten hours behind you, and you know, the players didin't give.
Speaker 2: Me adapt, they gave you adapt.
Speaker 3: And I didn't know what she was trying to say, but I'm not sure if she was talking about that. But I told Donna, I said, Donn, I be honest with you.
Speaker 2: You know, they have to warm up to you.
Speaker 3: You know, they have to understand that you're there for them. And I say, you know, being on this side is hard because I remember me doing the same thing. If I saw a guy, whether he played or not, if he's reporting us, I want to make sure he's saying the right thing about us and he's not just here to like, you know, dog us or whatever. And now those guys are, you know, reaching out when we do in our hand But I'm I'm there for support.
Speaker 2: Brother. It's good or bad.
Speaker 3: Man, I've been in those shoes, so you know, I'm a guy that's mindful that sometimes they don't want that handshake if the game wasn't their way right, So I won't even bother them, but I still clap them on, let them know I'm here.
Speaker 2: Man, good job, you know next time. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But it's that's it's love to know that your love is being felled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's I saw it. I happen to see it. I was on my way to the airport when I saw it, and I might even been at the airport. I saw it, and you know I responded back to him because man, we are proud. It's it's it feels good if you warrant, if you were to Burguniar Gol, whether you play for the Commanders, the football team, the Redskins, whatever, it's hard to like, I played for three teams, but I bleed Burkeaney and go yeah. So for them to be experience and of having the type of season they're having.
Speaker 3: Let me say this too because it's I have to say it. You know, what's so crazy to have a you know, have a brother that actually played in the league as well, played for the New York Giants, won a Super Bowl, the New York Giants, a kid. You not all our friends and immediate family when we have to root for a team, everybody is on the chat talking about us, right, I never heard my dad Will called like looking good and he said, and I'm sitting there like, it's amazing to me that, like everybody once I got here, they felt just how I feel.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, this is my team.
Speaker 3: I mean I played with the Jets, my brother played for the Giants, and we don't see no other colors but here.
Speaker 2: So you know it's amazing you said that.
Speaker 3: How you know you play for three different teams and you you believe this color and these colors, And that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: My family feel the same way.
Speaker 5: I think it's gonna say, big fletch old g.
Speaker 1: You know you got a chance to talk with o Z. A lot of this, A lot of that is the kids. Yeah, he had a mad huge catch. Yeah think like forty yards stay that game, man, you and you and be missed. Got to talk to him at on the post game Live about this brotherhood.
Speaker 3: You know what, man, You know, We've had a lot of guys to come in here and sit down and be on the show with us, and no matter how we were, the question it always come out what they have here, what they're building here, what dan Quinn is trying to build here.
Speaker 5: And while everybody talks about why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every letter and that's how you know it's real. See what I'm saying, It's one thing is saying things. We can all say things that's cliche and you ain't seeing it. You like, well you just said it because that's just the right thing to say. But it's really a brotherhood. It's really one of the things that the kids talked about and spoke up about.
Speaker 2: He was like, we all have a hand in this.
Speaker 3: That's a brotherhood. That's the way you allow your brothers to eat. Like I'm my brother's keeper. So therefore if you know I'm you know, speak hypothetically. If London was a running back and he's running. I'm gonna receive out there. I'm going to go protect you. I'm going to block. I'm gonna make sure that if I can get that last block for him to spring it, you know, spring along, win and get in the end zone. I'm gonna do that and vice versa. And that's what you see. You see these guys effort. You see the way when the ball does come to them, they understand that this is my chance to go out here and make an imprint.
Speaker 2: I'm doing my part.
Speaker 5: So we always say, how do I contribute it to my party? Because he's relying on me. That's my brother's lying.
Speaker 2: I don't want to let him down, don't want to let him dangle. And that's how that's how you know.
Speaker 3: I haven't won a championship in the National Football League. I didn't win want in college either. I was a team that got robbed from even going to the national championship. And the you know in college A one one in high school, this is what we had. A brotherhood was was we was for each other. We we did things with each other. I remember that year when we started going putting on Matt and it's crazy because people don't do this. But we was putting on orange sweatpants and wearing our school football shirts and getting in vans and going to the movies. And you look at it, like all these guys looking like dressing like each other. Yeah, but that was a bond that was like us bonding together, saying, man, let's go do something outside of this this field. And before you know, we in the state championship game, like, yeah, this is how this is what we built. And so you see these guys doing it. Man, you can't take it lightly because you don't know how soon it would turn around.
Speaker 2: Right now, we've seen it before. Eyes it turned around pretty quick.
Speaker 1: I heard y'all had a pretty strong bond on that two thousand and five team we did. Yeah, y'all had a really really strong bond we did.
Speaker 4: And it was one of those those things where it was actually the four team started.
Speaker 1: Four because I was sign of one here.
Speaker 3: Oh fi okay, I know what he's saying, a lot of those guys come from so we all came from different locations and in free agency under coach Gibbs, and we loved each other.
Speaker 1: Man. It was hard.
Speaker 5: You know, you already know coach Gibbs did and changed.
Speaker 4: It was hard, but like you felt bad if you let down, and I carried on in London, you know, even when you were here and you came in. It felt like I don't want to let London down because I remember, like in the meeting, London, I tell you here, remember this, London ran the meetings on Fridays, right, we ran the film, and I remember if we didn't know it or like we didn't know, like hey, on third down, we're supposed to make this done, and we're gonna do this, and this is the call we're gonna make. And if somebody blew that call or blew that check. And we talked about it that brotherhood, you're like, Man, I don't want you to let down. But it also felt good when we did it together. We were able to execute. Terry talks about it and people talk about you know, we started the interview with Terry when he talking about the coaches trusted me and we executed and we blocked and stuff like that. And on the five team it was the same way and winning breads. Brother Yeah, you know, and and that's what it's about, man, And you're absolutely right Tann to like man every single person came on so and.
Speaker 1: It feels goods. Robin, we're brotherhood. You mentioned Ry, We're gonna have to tell you joining us on the show. Yeah, you got something special. Another segment for us, Hey man, this is my favorite segment.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: It's drive Time with your Sly eight to the nine.
Speaker 3: It's time for drive Time, presented by Eastern Automotive Crew, Any car, anyway for everyone since nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you, guys man, give.
Speaker 3: Me some of your memories, your fondest memories since were playing Pittsburgh this week, what's something standing out? I'm gonna start with you, Blue Foot, what's something staying out about what you did against these old stealers.
Speaker 4: Well, one of my memories about the stealers is not necessarily what I did, because I remember one time I had a grand idea in my head that I was gonna run up and hit the droome back.
Speaker 1: You got something.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said it was a grand idea.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you're getting your head.
Speaker 4: I told my dad, I was build my reputation on your Rome bettist and here they were running the power boy ball and I said, you know what, he's not.
Speaker 5: Gonna see me. I'm gonna run up and hit him.
Speaker 4: And I ran in there with all my might and at the last minute he saw me. Oh man, that's I know.
Speaker 5: He stepped on my chest in my face and kept going and uh.
Speaker 1: So that was a far memory.
Speaker 4: But the other memory is there's no still a memory without bringing up stop. We were playing the game in O four man, and I remember I hit Willie Parker on the sideline. Willie Parker, uh was out for catching Shaun. This came off the sideline, just smacked him, flit him up under the bench.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: So remember you know, me getting ran over and start knocking out Willie Parker.
Speaker 1: My memory, so you think you played corner right, Yeah? You and they think let me get a set of get a memory against Hyge's World War. He was let me, let me, let me, let me tell.
Speaker 5: Because you can develop a reputation.
Speaker 4: You know, there's certain people you do something against your develop a reputation.
Speaker 2: That's when being you backfired.
Speaker 1: That's you know what I'm saying, making memory of knocking out Jerome back I hit Jerome Brettison, knock out Jerome badness. I'm gonna have the reputation been a big I ain't.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna look at you the same because gonna be trying to find you for every time you was.
Speaker 1: On that Man's Hall of Fame highlight video.
Speaker 5: I might have made this high I might have made it highlight for sure.
Speaker 2: What about you, London.
Speaker 1: I just so I grew up with Cleveland, Cleveland Browns fan and just always hated the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's just that was just a part of it, just remembering all those battles man Browns the Steelers, and they hey that I hated Jack Lambert. I love playing linebacker too. He'd be out there with all his teeth missing.
Speaker 5: And when the Jack Lambert football camp growing up.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't win. Even if I could have, I wouldn't win. I just didn't like the Stealers. But just those are my memories of the Pittsburgh those Browns uh Stealers matchups, and they used to be physical violent. Obviously played against Stealers a bunch of times. They were physical.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: I remember we played you you were twenty ten. We played them on Monday Night Football and I hit Roethlisberger, knocked him out of the game. He tried to quarterback steam right at the at the goal line, knocked him out the game. So they bringing Byron Leftwich.
Speaker 2: He comes, smooth talking.
Speaker 1: They got left with you in the game.
Speaker 2: We were about to pick him off boy.
Speaker 1: Byron left which came out there with that a long delivery like he was color from Ashburg. With that delivery he out that lighting up up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember, I remember that game.
Speaker 1: I went on that team.
Speaker 2: That was that was that was That was two thousand and.
Speaker 3: It was eight actually because it was it was a year. Oh yeah, we started six and two, started six and two.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. I went out and it was.
Speaker 4: That Mike Wallace had receiver like oh yeah, but smooth West talking the whole time and didn't come out.
Speaker 2: They got left with you about the pick the.
Speaker 7: Ball boy left WI left which work right at hill. But you got some good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny, man, because we were sitting here chopping up before we.
Speaker 3: Got on the show. And I think one of my most fondest memories. Now I have some touchdowns against them in both places. Uh, in New York and here I'm gonna speak about the New York when first, because I was a pupp didn't know nothing about what I was doing out there.
Speaker 2: My last year is a Jet.
Speaker 3: I remember it was like it was yesterday because it was four. I'm not sure a lot of people remember. But the Jets picked me mainly to be a punt returner. I mean they wanted, they wanted both assets that I brought to the table, but punk returning was number one for them over being over being a receiver.
Speaker 1: But my receiver me knowing me, I was here the first round every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike Westof made them move up, so you know, you know, the whole star I was supposed to come here, I got They got you boy, Rod Gardener instead of me because they want taller guy here. So Mike Westoff saw them, saw the saw the Redskins not take me. He told her and Els move up and get him. He's gonna be my pupp returner. He's gonna be a pump returner and a key asset to the offense as a receiver. So mainly when I got there, man, it was like pump return or nothing, you know, and you know, you know, being me, I ended up becoming a nice receiver for them. So four had a hamstring the whole season, lingering, I told him, taking myself off a pup return.
Speaker 1: I could run routes.
Speaker 2: Three quarter speed, get open, catch the ball, get down.
Speaker 3: So I got healthier lady in the season, and we went We made a playoff push, and I bought out at receiving the playoffs. The week won against uh San Diego, I had a hundred some yards touchdown, and I remember coming home and I'm just feeling good about myself. I'm a little I'm over comfortable right now. So I told her, I say, hey, hear put me back at pump returns. We're gonna running it back. I never called my shot. I'm not that ain't me. That ain't my moo. I'm not gonna call my shot. So we get the We get the Pittsburgh at pis Bird second part return. I took it up to the House of eighty and didn't know then, but I know now that that was the first punt return in Jets history in the playoffs. Really yeah, So that's my That's that's one that's staying out the most. I think the second memory I have of Pittsburgh, I got to talk about the.
Speaker 2: Good and the bad Man.
Speaker 3: We went to them in twenty twelve and it rained like a slushy rain. I scored that game, but I feel like we dropped balls that we will normally drop. We won't normally drop. I mean, the ball was off of us all type of ways. I remember looking at RG at one point like, bro, don't even throw it over here.
Speaker 2: It's no way to catch it. You know what I'm saying for.
Speaker 1: Speaker to get hit. You remember they we try to half back a quarterback past a fleet flicker of a pass to RG three pass, yeah, double pass?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who threw that? But Ron Clark? I remember that, trying to take his head off. Listen, try to take it r one his head.
Speaker 1: This plass was so telegraphed like it had no Whoever threw this football had no business throwing it.
Speaker 2: Pierre It might have been Pierre.
Speaker 1: I don't know who it was, or was it Banks. Whoever it was might have been.
Speaker 4: Based on whatever it is, it was a bad idea.
Speaker 1: He hit. He hit r G three the same way Sean Sean Taylor hit. Was it Willie Parker or whoever Parker the coach was? Nobody was food. This thing was so telegraphed. Hey man, you need to tuck this thing or you need to throw it out of bos fifteen yards. No, he's still through this day.
Speaker 3: So speaking of speaking of bad ideas and and and that particular play alone, what do you guys think about just the run that you know Tomlin has had since he's been a man.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's something that they don't enough. Yeah, he's he's the only thing you can knock him on. He hasn't won more Super Bowls based on how the record they've had, and sometimes they've been a number one seed, but a lot of times you're going against the goat man. You're going against Tom Brady, Mike. Tomlins has never had a losing seasons. He's sixteen, seventeen years. Yeah, he's a hell of a football coach. Phenomenal coach. He knows how to challenge his dudes, get him to get him to play.
Speaker 5: Lead their men for sure. You know, I respect him.
Speaker 1: I don't know him personally, but just competing against him, Like he'll say something to you on the sideline during the game. You might make a tack on the sideline. He'd be like, I remember one time playing to be like man, find out you out there hunt man? Like was he like he appreciated me the way I was playing again. You know what.
Speaker 4: And it's funny that you said that, because I had a chance to spend time with him at the league meetings, and I've never had a chance to spend time with him before. I knew about him because he's from Virginia, and you know, and he got knew my dye and stuff. The guy knows like he's a historian of football. He loves football. Hit when you said that reminded me. He appreciative of a good play or you're a good football player.
Speaker 1: And I think he respects football.
Speaker 4: So when you talk about this tenure man, you're talking about a guy who the standard is the standard that he is. He's got to be considered one of the greatest coaches ever coaches game and deserves a lot of respect.
Speaker 1: Coming up with previewing the batch up against the Pittsburgh Steelers, you're listening to the Players Club presented by Pepsi.
Speaker 2: You got the game on, Santana Moss, Who's winning?
Speaker 1: Ken Harvey, Hey, Doc, come on in.
Speaker 3: Football is better with pizza From the Official Pieces of the Washington Commandment bord online now. Players Club is brought to you by bet three six y five, official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders. Bet on a range of NFL markets with Bet three sixty five app.
Speaker 2: Craft your own.
Speaker 3: Personalized bet slips with parlay access thousands of games with live streaming. Place your bet before the match or bet during the game.
Speaker 2: It's up to you.
Speaker 3: Download the Bet three sixty five app today. Age twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem call or texts one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Foot Class season this year, and it's time to get ready.
Speaker 8: As the official ticket marketplace of the NFL, Ticketmaster's got the best way to take it to the house when it comes to being their lives. They're the safest and most convenient marketplace to score one hundred percent verified ReCl tickets for every Commander's game. Even if your plans get broken up, we're worse turned over. Ticketmaster gives you more flexibility to sell your seats, So get those touchdowns, sell lebrations ready, I score your tickets today at ticketmaster dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash Commanders.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Players Club presented by Pepsi. All right, man, we got it. We got my favorite segment set the tones, and we're talking about the Pittsburgh Stellers. Sure got to talk about previewing. We got to preview this game. It's time for set the tone, presented by Johnson Kendall Johnson, the official insurance broker and risk management partner of the Washington Commanders. Where our passion is your protection. Big game. Yes, both of us first in our division. I can't wait for this one. Man, Oh man, I can't wait for this man. Think about this. Both teams made trays at the deadline. We acquired Marsham the Stealers. They not only acquire a defensive player, they acquired Presco Smith. Who that was acquired sneaky. I didn't even know that. If you think about Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is saying they did. They did what we did. But from a mindset of all right, we got two pass rushers already ready, they got t J Y, they got Hot Smill. Right, who are we gonna potentially play in the playoffs, Jackson Ravens. Obviously Kansas City City Chiefs, maybe the Buffalo Bills. You're gonna definitely need pass rushers going against the Kansas City Chiefs, and you're gonna get one against the Buffalo Bills. So we're gonna add to that, but we also need a little bit more firepower on offense. So they add to that they trade for Mike Williams in the New York Jets. What do y'all think about them doing those moves and will they have what kype of impact will they have in this game?
Speaker 4: Press Smith's one was quiet, but it was sneaky because pression is a great run stopper, but more so if you already got two pass rushers, having three, that means there's always somebody who rotate.
Speaker 1: Rotation adding to that rotation.
Speaker 4: Is and then learning to your point what you're saying is we may play Buffalo or Kansas City in the playoffs and the teams that were planning in East or whoever, we gotta have the ability to get to the quarterback. And impression is good against the run. So I think that was that was a great move for that for that organization in the front.
Speaker 1: As I was thinking about it as you was talking, and made me also think you got a guy like TJ Wide who plays so many snaps, how it allows you to take so many snaps off of him on the first and second down keep him fresher, especially an obvious past situation or fourth quarter games where you need to close. Y'all. Y'all think this is the best defense? Will we played all season long? Will it be the best?
Speaker 3: It's a toss up to me because I'm man like I say, Man, I still watched that first couple of series from that Ravens game.
Speaker 2: Man, I was like, Man, yeah, I think I think.
Speaker 4: I think I think Baltimore, I think the Cleveland defense was. I think the Cleveland defense really good with Miles Garrett and himself and Danzel Ward those guys.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong, I feel like we faced a few of them that has kind of that Surprisingly I'm not saying this because I didn't believe, but surprisingly like we were.
Speaker 2: We were so good.
Speaker 3: Against them it almost made me like, well, damn, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I thought they supposed to be better than that. They weren't. They weren't you talking about Baltimore right right? Baltimore was. They weren't very good against the past.
Speaker 3: But at the same time too, if you remember a couple of times they thought they put some packages out there where we had to we got to rebut we got.
Speaker 2: To go and do something again about this because.
Speaker 4: I would say probably other than Tampa, they probably would be the best coach defense.
Speaker 1: Face. I think it's the Cleveland defense though, because Cleveland and Cleveland defense last year, dan Zel doesn't get hurt that name that last year Cleveland had a number one defense of the league. Yeah, they had a lot more better balanced balance. U Joe Flacco played for them, so offensively, they weren't defensively what happened to take his man snaps, But that Cleveland defense, they were stout against the run. You know, they got after you in the past, and it took us a while to kind of figure figure those guys out. You know, if you if you think about the offense, it took them a quarter quarter and a half to really get going offensively. When you look at Pittsburgh their top five Russian defense, I don't know where they're at past defense. But you got you got guys who succept you have to, but you.
Speaker 4: Got to you gotta go.
Speaker 1: You got account for Meka, but you gotta account for t J. Wattfor you gotta have a play agh deal with that dude right there.
Speaker 3: My thing too is something that has been that's that showed up, as you know, they they're top you know, they're actually four and stopping to run, you know, defensively, yeah, but their weak spot is stopping to run against a running quarterback, a guy.
Speaker 2: Who can, who can, who can do what he doing.
Speaker 3: Like if you watch that game when they played the Giants, we know what Daniel Jones does to us, but they gave him a lot of love, Like, you know what, let us be mindful. He can break, and he can, he can get, he can he can get outside this defense. So I was watching that game, coach, because I'm like, oh, okay, So they were showing Daniel love that that much. You know, he was giving him that much love, Dank Jones. So just imagine what they're going to do knowing that our guy is capable of doing it. But like I said before, I think now the league understands Jayden a little more when it comes to his running.
Speaker 2: Ability, Like and they like that twice Jayden exactly.
Speaker 3: Jayden has the ability to make something when he needs to, you know, even if it's not designed.
Speaker 1: He beat you with it.
Speaker 2: But he's throwing that ball half of the time.
Speaker 3: So I think they're gonna respect him just knowing that, hey, he might get outside so we're gonna have a guy to probably at least one guy probably spine them, but we can't.
Speaker 1: The Baltimore I was looking at the way those ends t J Watt and Ice Smail let's call them edge rushers. Yeah, how they crashed out a line of scrimmage that they chased.
Speaker 3: T J.
Speaker 1: He was chased. I can't remember who the game was against. It was against the Indianapolis coach because the coach had a nice They ran the ball pretty good against the coach was the team that beat him? Right, coach beat and I saw t J. And this is against they had Richardson who was a running quarterback.
Speaker 4: But but I don't know if Richardson finished that game with getting hurt.
Speaker 1: But he was even when he was still the game, he was looking at John Reid and damn TJ. Is he is crashing down at it hard.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 1: I know they're gonna look at it like there's gonna be some opportunities far as our quarterback, though, Man, can we keep Jay then continue to play the way he's been playing in the passing games.
Speaker 4: It's still I think when you have the r p O run pass options scheme for the scheme that cliff Is put in for him. What I like about it is they do a job of attacking your weakness each week. We came into the game against you know, Cincinnati, saying, hey, you know they do some exotic pressures and coverage, but if we catch them in zero coverage, when we catch them into all our blitch because we know they're gonna be.
Speaker 1: Risky, we're gonna take our shot.
Speaker 4: When you look at the Giants and you say, hey, we're gonna get on the edge, you talk about, hey, don't run straight at decks launch, but get on the edge.
Speaker 1: We two b rob had one hundred and thirty three.
Speaker 4: So it seems like they have they figured it out to attack East defense and defensive scheme. But you know the brothers at the defensive ends of brothers up at Pittsburgh's little different. Thomas gonna have a scheme. Obviously they see Lamar twice or they're gonna be familiar with.
Speaker 1: Time you you as a as a receiver, you've talked to You've had a chance to kind of look at them in the past. The past defense Hock and Terry had success against against them. That's that's that's what I want to talk about.
Speaker 3: I think, man, like the it's open, you know, It's like, that's one of the things that I saw if I saw anything in his defense, when I saw Darius Slayton get deep on them and I saw Daniel Jones play play tricks of that safety, I say, you can't show that to us, because it's not only that we have one like you say, we talked about that. You know that core of wide house that's getting the job done. And don't forget about zach Ertz man, like, we have enough weapons in the passing game to really hurt you. And one of the play stood out the most of me last week was third and nine and to watch that kid go through his progression first read, second read, Oh guess what I got my dump off? Guy here and Eckler come across the middle of field and shall across. We pick up the first down, like if you bringing them. That's why I say you had to give a lot of credit to officer lines how good they've been in protection and stuff like that. But I love us in our passing game because I feel like Cliff Keeensbury has been putting him in situations where you know what, Bro, You're gonna have a lot of options, and if nobody is open, you're either gonna take off and take what you can get or give it to somebody that's you know, I guess you're you're dump off guy that he can go out there and get them yarded.
Speaker 2: So I think we got a lot of room to.
Speaker 3: Really, you know, get at them in the passing game. But it's all gonna be basically predicated on how good we protect them up front.
Speaker 1: From flipping flipping the other side of the ball. Our defense against Pittsburgh's offense. Now with with Russell Russell Wilson at the quarterback, they've been averaging over four hundred yards total total of offense. The passing game has come alive really with him at the pushing it, yeah, pushing it down the field. George Pickens, how we gonna deal with Russell and the receivers are still.
Speaker 4: Animal and he's animal. I think we got this reason, we got a lot of more. Let's let's talk about it. Because people question the decision whether Russell would be the receiver, I mean the quarterback for right, but since she's been in the bench, he's been playing his rejected the balls, his decision, making his confidence back shoulder his confidence. Russell has been cooking and he's been hot, and uh, and they can and but Pickens is the X factor because that's one of the few guys in the league, and it's probably about three or four guys in the league. No matter how well you cover him, they still can catch the ball. I say, Jefferson, this one. You know, Pickens is another maybe let's say Mike Williams or somebody else where. The big bodies and they catch rated. This is crazy. So we have to know that. And and I think we just got to be smart, man. We got to pick and choose on what we showed him because Russell was a veteran man and everybody he playing with a little chip on the shoulder.
Speaker 3: Again, right, we're not even that, just just happy he played happy being happy.
Speaker 1: Here's here's when I when I think about quarterbacks, and I think about a quarterback like Russ. We played him last year when he was with Denver. Right, Yeah, he's doing some good things. However, he's also not that far removed from being released by deva trade released. So it takes one game to make him go back exactly. Can't we get him to doubt himself? Can we get him all of a sudden to not have confidence to hold on to the ball.
Speaker 4: That means you're gonna make him a one dimensional stopped that you're gonna have to stop that run.
Speaker 1: But also once we stop that run, getting pressure on him, he's not that he's not as athletic as he used to be. That's a run as well. And he'll fumble the football team will he fumbled against us against when he was with Diver was costly costly. Can we get him to doubt himself to hold on to the ball too, And that's that started.
Speaker 4: That still was starting with winning first down, getting him in positions where they got the third lungs where you see where Russell does a good job on tape. It's just thirty three, third and two. He's get the ball out of his hands pretty quick, right, So we got to put him in a position where can't What can we do about that run game to make him one dimension him because they do got a big back back then, the Alabama Black as well.
Speaker 3: And I think that's one of the things to man, that y'all spoken about earlier, is just now having the ability to have another corner that you can say, man, guess what I'm gonna solidify you as this your side, so handle that so we can brain this guy down here and maybe now force them out of what they want to do. You know, you know how, you know what it's like to be a dictator, like let me dictate what y'all do, and now y'all dictate what y'all want us to be in and you know, far as in coverage. And that's what I'm hoping to see. I'm hoping, regardless of it's this week or not, I'm hoping that this ladder More pickup is going to allow a Joe Wick Jr. To really go out there and play the kind of football.
Speaker 1: You want to play.
Speaker 3: Because, don't get me wrong, regardless of what we've been giving up run wise, we're so opportunistic defensively that we make plays right when you want to be sexy and pretty. That's when we go and go out there and get ridly, you know, cause a fumble or get a sack. So we in those situations defensively all the time that allow us to say, even though we gave you a lot, we're gonna come take that back.
Speaker 4: They like us say, don't turn the ball over us a lot. So we gotta be we it's gonna be a good game of like trying to get them in positions what you're saying to turn the ball over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because us wouldn't be careful with.
Speaker 1: It all man. It's a great talk preview on this backup set the tall as we like to say, against the Pittsburgh Stellers coming out. We got Terry mcclaur and joining us on the showf you're listening to the Players Club presented by Pepsi.
Speaker 3: Players Club is brought to you by Bet three six y five, official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders. Bet on a range of NFL markets with bet three six y five app. Craft your own personalized bet slips with parlay access thousands of games with live streaming. Place your bet before the match or bet during the game. It's up to you. Download the Bet three six y five app today. Age twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem call or text one eight hund gambler.
Speaker 1: Pepsi zero Sugar has taken this flavor to the next level. A zero sugar cola has never tasted this good. But we don't expect you to take our world for it, So we're putting it to the test. Started with me. My mouth is watering already, so I think we can skip the drum roll and get right to the main eventque the fireworks. We have an official best zero sugar ever. It's delicious, it's refreshing, and it's so good you'll need to try it for yourself. Trust me, Pepsi zero sugar zero never tasted so good. You're listening to the Players Club, presented by Pepsi. Welcome back to the Players Club. As promised, we got Terry McClure. Terry, We appreciate you joining us.
Speaker 2: Appreciate y'all having me.
Speaker 4: This is your ice cold Player, brought to you by Pepsi, the official soft drink of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 1: All right, Mas seven to two, got ass you've been here? This is season. How fun has this season been.
Speaker 2: I'm having a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: It's probably been collectively my most joyful season. Just from the start wing DQ and everybody got here. Just the standard they put in place, and you know the first day that he said this is gonna be the place for you if you if you're a doll competitor.
Speaker 1: I kind of sat up in my seaton, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So since that moment, just the way he's helped us build this team, the camaraderie that we have in the locker room, you know, the work ethic that we put in each and every day, and I think that's what we hang our hats on at this point of the season. The work that we're putting in during the week, you know, I mean, executing the situations. We've had multiple situations come up over the past few weeks that have determined scores, hell Mary determined the game. And so just the emphasis on the details has been there since he got here. And I think the competitiveness between offensive defense, we've been going at it, going at it against one another, but then on Sundays, it's just what we do, you know what I mean. Like, I think that's one of my favorite messages. He says, you know, you don't got to get up for the you don't have to get up for big games, and this.
Speaker 1: Is what you do.
Speaker 6: If this is how you prepare each and every week, there's no raw rod speeches, is how we get down. So I'm all on board with that and it's been really fun just to see so many guys have a hand in our success this year.
Speaker 3: With all that being said, just that statement alone, you know, will royce anybody out, bro, especially if you're a dog, especially if you're a guy that's been getting out of the mud from day one like yourself.
Speaker 2: But did you notice an.
Speaker 3: Instant change like far as just how things have been going for you previous years to just that as soon as he got in the door, did you see things.
Speaker 1: Just just like you know what this have a different feel?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think just a competitive standpoint. Each and every day we have a competitive period.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I mean our mantra of the team is really a ball is life. So every day we're defense is talking about how they could get the ball back into the offense hands create turnovers, and offense is how we break tackles and how we protect the football. Again, I think those are the things that are showing up. So I think right away, you know a lot of coaches can have like coach speed, you know what I mean, just stuff that sounds good. But everything that DQ says is a purpose and there's a reasoning behind it. And so you got a group of guys, good group of veteran leaders and a great young group that we drafted in here. Buy into that message, you start to see you start to reap the benefits of it. So I think for myself, it's just coming in and off the off season that I had, just putting a lot of work in try to be the best version of myself. For Jaden, the rest of the quarterbacks, obviously playing with Cliff, He's going to put you in a situation to be successful. And you know, I'm having a lot of fun because you know, my opinion is also value when they ask me, you know what I mean, and they trust what I'm seeing out there. If I feel like a certain leverage or a certain coverage is beneficial to what we can exploit, then they're all ears about that and and we go out there and execute it.
Speaker 2: So that's just fun.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: As players, we all know like when the coaches is listening to you and thenplement you know, some of the ideas that you have just as even more buying to you as a player and as a team.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what we're seeing on all three phases.
Speaker 4: Man, we always talk about this organization and guys professional. When we think about professionals, your name comes up all the time that, and and we were wondering, like, man, we saw all our emotion then you talk about listening to you all that emotions in Cincinnati. Yeah, big catches. You didn't complain. We talked about it on the show like man, Terry was professional. We saw it pent up.
Speaker 5: Man, Yeah, tell me just walk us through that again, because came in.
Speaker 4: Was like, man, just came on. But Bro, you could have complained, but you was like, yeah, then just it was pent up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not for sure.
Speaker 6: I think it's definitely been a journey and everything hasn't necessarily go as you would imagine. But I've always tried to be true to myself and and stay within my character.
Speaker 2: But also I've learned over the course of my years.
Speaker 6: To advocate for myself as well, you know what I mean, be a little bit more servative when those things are necessary. But it's easy when you got coaches who are asking for your opinion, who trust you in those situations, are going to continue to put you in a situation to be successful. But for myself, I just always I've learned, you know, through my faith in Jesus Christ, just what patience and endurance uh is and experiencing that and being present in the moment, and that was something I felt like that was very necessary for my journey, just to because I could sometimes be like not a control freak, but when things are kind of out of your control, you don't know how to react, especially receiver, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's a good point because this guy right here, we used to tell We used to tell him all the time, Tanner say something right, But Tannem was the guy was like, nah, man, I'm just gonna do my job, and we be like, Tanner say something so, and then I would say Tanner. When we later in the years as we develop a relationship, people say, man, I didn't want to be that guy boing attention. He was always talking about balancing. It sounds like that's the same things balance.
Speaker 2: It's the one hundred percent of balance.
Speaker 6: And especially coming in like we got a rookie quarterback, you know, the last thing I felt like he needed was for me, being the leader in our on our team, to be chirping in on his back, you know what I mean. He's just trying to get acclimated and do the best he can to run our offense. So I had honestly faith in him from the jump just to see how he was progressing through the off season, how he was getting better each and every practice. And so I knew after the first few games of the season like it's still it's early, it's early days, and so I didn't I didn't hang my head, and I just continue to put in the work. And I just feel like that Cincinnati game was big for us offensively in our team. I feel like that's been the turning point. But you know, it kind of got the lit off the rim. I mean, a few deep shots, zero coverage game on the line, quarterback receiver make a play on top of j Max picking up the blitz and it was a high level, high level execution on that play. And since then, it seems like we've just been, you know, off to the races and being able to counter off of some of the looks that we've given to keep teams on their toes.
Speaker 3: You know, I wanted to come in on that when you said staying true to yourself. People don't know how important that is. And trust me, because I'm we was talking about, hey, man, shouldn't Terry beginning, I'm like, yeah, but why force it? Everybody knows that Terry should be getting involved, but you don't want to force it. And as a receiver, you don't want to be that guy that's not your game. If me talking to the coaches and talking to the quarterbacks not my game, I don't want to get out of character. What I want to ask you, though, is, because I've been in them shoes, how hard was it blocking everybody all the noise out? Because as players, we see the TV, we see this, you know, now we have social media terry need to be dealing this to Did you block it out? Because I would just tell folks man on turning that stuff on on me and I didn't read anything.
Speaker 2: So what was your process of saying.
Speaker 3: Look, I got to stay in to what I do and how I do it, but I also got to, you know, state in my whole bubble and not be distracted by all these other folks trying to advocate for me to get more, you know, more attempts.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 6: I think, first and foremost, I have a great support system around me, not only in the building, but in my personal life with my fiance and my agent, my parents, my friends, and so for me, it was just continue to put the work in and trusting that the work's going to show. I mean, ever since I've started this journey football, like the cream's going to rise to the top. Was done in the dark, comes to light, You reap what you so all those things I believe in, I continue to speak those over my life, especially when it's hard. It's easy when things are going your way, but when it's hard, as when you see the true character of a person. And again, I just wanted to be true to that, and you know, on the other side of that now it's just nothing more sweeter knowing that I didn't have to, you know, tweet, nothing force it go out of my character to get my blessings and to continue to grow as a player. But I just think I tried to keep my confidence high, you know what I mean, trying to stay true to myself and knowing that I feel like I'm one of the best receivers in this league and just needing the opportunity to show that. I've feel like this year with the group that we have and the coaches, they've allowed me to show that. And you know, it's something that I've always known that's there, but just being able to show it is another thing. And now with social media and everything and all the comment commentators and things like that. Obviously you hear that, you know what I mean, But again, they don't know what's going on in between these four walls. And I think something that I had to tell myself earlier at Ohio State too, because the base could get loud, you know what I mean, the people who are speaking on you or speaking on the search situations that are going on. Like I got to a point where I was like, Okay, they don't determine if I play, how much I play, if I get the ball in the NFL, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like these people on the outside, they're doing their job, but they don't determine anything. If you let those things start to seep in and you start gravitating to those things, that's on you. Honestly, I feel like it takes your your your attention away from the task at hand, and you lose focused.
Speaker 1: I feel like the only.
Speaker 6: Way that sometimes I'm not successful if I'm getting in my own hand I'm worried.
Speaker 2: About like, dang, he touched the ball. I mean, human, you know what I mean, he touched the ball.
Speaker 6: Oh well, this, that and the third and then that your opportunity come in, it slip through your fingers and then that's a that's a whole other issue. So uh, just I'm at my best when I'm focused, having fun, you know, being the energetic guy that I am trying to help help our team win, and being a dog on Sunday.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of Ohio State, you got one of your former Ohio State teams traded. That smile says it all. You play with Marshaan at at Ohio State. He's from Cleveland. I've known about him a long time. I know what part of Cleveland's from You talk about dog ass competitive, that's what they had to do it in high school. For the fans, what is he bringing to this table to the team, And did they talk to you about and asked you about Marshan before they made the trade and all that type of stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was a few conversations here and there, but ultimately a P and d Q. You know, we're going to do what's best for the for the team. But you know, I got questions of obviously about Marshawn and you know, I have a lot of affinity from him because we came into the same Dravet or same recruiting class at Ohio State. So we're going to against each other since a long time. And one thing I say about him is like he's a dog, you know what I mean. I know that's like thrown around a lot, but a true sense of the word is a dog. Like he's a competitor. He may not say a whole lot, but it's player gonna do all the talking. And I feel like he can match up with any receiver in this league. He's extremely fluid at the line, he has long arms, he's great in his transition, he makes plays on the ball, really good ball skills. And again, I think he's a guy who can help elevate our defense, especially the kind of scheme that we want to run and be able to, you know.
Speaker 1: Single up some players.
Speaker 6: So I think he has those capabilities to help our defense take it to the next level. And you know, I think the best the best way to see the kind of player is to seeing how he's going against another alpha like Mike Evans. You know what I mean, if you just go watch that film, Like he ain't backing down from nobody, he ain't ducking it, you know what I mean, I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: I mean, nothing about he a dog, and I'm excited to to go against him. He's gonna make me better and practice. He's going to elevate our room receivers.
Speaker 6: You're gonna elevate the dbs and uh, like I said, when you when you add those kind of guys into your locker room onto your team, those are the like those are the dog competitors that d Q was talking about bringing a lot of guys like that in and then it's just infectious, you know what I mean. You see those kind of competitors, how they how they prepare, how they practice, how they play, and you know they affect the wind loss column. So I'm excited to help him get acclimated here, help him anyway I can. But you know, I know he's ready to buy in and help us get to where we.
Speaker 1: Want to go. Oh man, we can chop it up with you all. You got to get as we have all of our guests side this football. We appreciate you dropping your autograph on Hey, that'll do it for the players Club. Scary terry, best of the business. That'll do it for the Players Club. Want more great Commander's Podcast. We have a full slate for you every day of the Week, Mondays, myself and Brown Weinstein. I'm breaking down the game on Booth Review and you won't want to miss Fred Smooth and Michael Jenkins Tuesdays on the Get Loud podcast and Wednesdays, our guys Logan Paulsa, Satanamalls and Fred's Food are talking all things Commanders Football. Check them out on The Commander's YouTube page or subscribe wherever you get your podcast. Head over to the Commander's YouTube page to see the full episode.