Speaker 1: Basically one month into the NBA season, and so today we're gonna go up and down that crowded, jumbled Western Conference ladder, talk about as many different teams as we can, what we've seen through this first month, all that's next here on this League Uncut.
Speaker 2: Welcome to this League Uncut.
Speaker 3: Can you rule a twenty four hour NBA.
Speaker 4: News this's you, Chris Haynes. It's no time, Mark Stein, it's some time. This League Uncut is underway and on fire.
Speaker 2: This should be a good one.
Speaker 1: Welcome in everyone to a Thanksgiving week edition of This League Uncut. Mark Stein here with Chris Haynes. I've pulled him away from his extensive Thanksgiving family Thanksgiving preparations because Chris Haynes is on record is telling everyone who listens to this pod this is his favorite holiday. Yes, it is a full on family wide undertaking to put your Thursday extravaganza together.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So I apologize for pulling you out of your prep time to we got we gotta talk. We gotta talk some Western Conference today. But real quick, everything is that, as you know, we're recording this on a Monday afternoon Pacific time. Everything on track for your Thursday festival.
Speaker 5: Yep. I have my two daughters. They're flying in tomorrow, my two oldest daughters that go to Clark Atlanta. Shout out to the a sbcus out there. And I have my niece. I'm flying my niece in from Virginia, so she's coming tomorrow as well to stay with us. Stay with us. My two youngest daughters are cleaning up as we speak right now, getting the house off speaking span because the extravaganza this year is at my house. So we're going to have probably upwards to thirty five to forty here starting Wednesday, and so yeah, everything's going good. I went grocery shopping yesterday. The last thing I have to do is get one of the most important items the Thanksgiving, the ham dam and specifically honey baked ham stein. I don't know if you had a honey baked ham stein, but it's sliced up for you and it has just this hard this hardened honey that's on the outside surface of the ham, and so in every bite Steyn, it's just a beautiful sensation and a feeling in your taste. Buds Man, when you taste this ham, you can eat it cold, you can warm it up whatever. But I'll talk about what's on the menu later. But yes, I'm getting ready to.
Speaker 1: Save some of that for Wednesday's pot. But in short, I mean, you haven't been a Sacramento resident for a long time, so but you know where to go to get what you know what, you already got your spot picked out, where you're gonna go and where to get what.
Speaker 5: I'm getting all my food. Yeah, that's that what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: If this ham is so well, no, I mean, if the ham is so special, you got to have a special place to get it from, don't you.
Speaker 5: It's the Honey Baked Ham Company. I don't they don't have that in Dallas.
Speaker 3: Maybe they do. I told you, I'm I am not.
Speaker 1: You know, my Thanksgiving is completely different this year. Our family is I'm I am in La. I'm going to see two Laker games and then I'm going to have a Thanksgiving dinner with my oldest son who lives out here, and I am just it's it's just gonna be he and I. But I am pumped, psyched, and uh but there you know we're you know, we don't We're going to a restaurant, so I know, I know you don't love that idea. I know you don't believe in that. I don't want to get you all riled up again.
Speaker 5: But uh, well, you're on the road. You're on the road, so I guess that would suffice. And if you can't, if you can't get premium food cooked, then I you know it's okay to But.
Speaker 3: You know I'm not looking for it.
Speaker 1: I'm not looking for a traditional Thanksgiving meal that I know that is your favorite meal of the year. But I'm just gonna have to live vicariously through you on that one.
Speaker 5: Well, let's you know, everybody, everybody have a well, no, we're gonna do another part. I was gonna say, everybody have a great Thanksgiving, but I hope you have a great Thanksgiving prep because also this is also the worst time of year for a lot of people. And the reason for that, Stein is you're bringing everybody together and family. But I don't know how your family is, Steine, But everybody doesn't get along in your family. You don't like everybody in your family, But you have to act like you do for at least two or three days. And so I hope there's no fights, there's no arguments. I hope there's no memugs. I hope you're able to get along with all your family and your loved ones for these two to three days. Because Steyn, growing up as a kid, I see some of the best fights doing Thanksgiving. Man, ain't nobody fighting at my house. I'll tell you that right now, Tell you that right now. But hey, I wish y'all nothing but peace during this Thanksgiving preparation and on things.
Speaker 1: Fire alarm is fixed, air conditioning is fixed.
Speaker 3: You're ready to go.
Speaker 5: The hotel, hands is ready, We're ready to go.
Speaker 3: All right? You know what?
Speaker 1: Let's you know this Thanksgiving is also basically the one month marker for the NBA. We're basically this week is when we have seen a month of regular season play, and I think when you look at the East, there is a lot of order and expectancy at the top of the standings. Even though the Bucks have looked much more Milwaukee like since, as you discussed on a recent pod, their players went to new coach Adrian Griffin lobbied him for a return to the more familiar drop coverage schemes of recent Bucks seasons that are naturally centered around Brook Lopez. They've been much better defensively here recently and for all the ups and downs, you know, they're nine and four as of Monday as we record this, and you know, not far off the pace set by Boston and Philly top four in the East when we woke up today. Boston, Philly, Milwaukee, Miami. So that's you know, not too surprising.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and.
Speaker 5: Sign hold on and the last I believe it was our last pod. Remember I told you about Dame getting his minutes back to where he where he was comfortable at in Portland. Remember I brought that up that his minutes were changed. Now he plays the entire first quarter. That's that's what he's familiar with. That way, he's able to get comfortable throughout the quarter, doesn't feel like he needs to rush anything. And so I said that before it was even made known. And I think two days later Dame comes out and says, yes, I went to Griffin, So y'all need to y'all need to keep checking. I'll throw some things out there here, here and there. You know what I mean, y'all, y'all listen, I'm trying to I'm trying to help y'all out. Give y'all a little bit something before it becomes public knowledge. If you would, if you were listening to this league uncut last part, you would have known about a potential conversation that Dame had with Griff before Dame even acknowledged it. So you know, hey, just try and make them aware.
Speaker 1: Just to show you my top flight, top shelf sharp as attack memory. I don't even remember that, So there you go. Man, I am aging so badly. It's really really, really painful. When I used to, I used to, I used to love my memory, and now I just can I remember what happened yesterday.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm with you there, Stile. I can't fault you for that. I'm the type of person now, especially for the last few years. Again, I'm forty two. It's like the last two years. I've just taken a stance that if something comes to my mind, I'm just saying it right there because this is going to be gone the next two minutes. I'm not gonna remember anything. So whatever comes to your mind, say it if. If you're at that point, you're officially washed as Stein like Stein's favorite word, washed and old. And that's okay.
Speaker 1: I get in tu when I you know, when I jokingly say that I'm washed, and I hear.
Speaker 3: But you know, missus Stein will say, stop saying that.
Speaker 1: I have a friend from my buddy from high school, my dear friend from high school. Dave says, don't say that, So I gotta stop. I gotta stop doing that. Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying. You know, the East, the top of the East it you know, Indiana, Indiana has been a pleasant surprise. Cleveland seems to be turning around a slow start, big win for the Cabs Sunday night to be Denver at home. But the East, you know, it essentially looks I think like a lot of people would have projected it for the most part to this point. The West is kind of the one where we're going to zero in on the West today because you know, the West has its share of early surprises. The Denver Nuggets, they have lost a few on the road, they do, Miss Jamal Murray. They're not just gonna know. They still haven't lost a home game seven to zero at home, but they've lost They've lost a couple here in a row on the road. So I mean the Denver Nuggets, the defending champions, they clearly need and miss Jamal Murray. I don't think anyone in Denver is too deeply concerned. But when you look up and down the standings, I mean they're we get going all kinds of crazy directions in the West. Golden State in the midst of a six game losing streak, a lot of factors that have led to that six game losing streak for Golden State. But at the other end, at the top of the West, Sacramento has won six in a row. Oklahoma City Producer Ryan's Thunder, they've won five in a row. They're not really Producer Ryan's Thunder, but he asked me about them this morning, so we will get to them. But I mean they're you know, the Lakers got off to a slow start. They've bounced back here. Houston's been a surprise. Dallas got off to the nine and three start and just lost a home or a road home back to back, lost in Milwaukee, lost at home Sunday night to Sacramento. Minnesota has been really impressive. I mean, the West has been full of surprises, and I think we're still kind of getting a handle on all these teams. Can you pinpoint who is probably who has impressed you the most out of this diverse group of teams.
Speaker 5: For me, it's easy. I didn't expect this at all. I have to go with the Oklahoma City Thunder, I mean I was that. I can't remember if it was their first or second game. It might have been their first game in Chicago. Chicago's first game for sure, because that's when they had their players only meeting after the first game, which is pretty much it's unheard of. And I've just seen just the the talent that they have. I knew they have to have talent, but they're putting it all together. You know, s g A. We know how great and special he is. But they's got a lot of talent. Man check, you know they you see what check that that three check hit on Golden State to send the game to overtime. Man so much poised turn around three that's that's a tough shot, the seven foot of doing it at that, man. And so they just have a bunch of weapons. And you know, I can't lie. I didn't think they'd be putting it together this soon. I mean it's still early. They're ten and four right now is earlier in the year. Things can change, But you know, ok C for sure. For me, that's the probably the most surprising start for me in the in the entire NBA. S g a is you know, I had you know, when we talking we talked to Davion Mitchell the Kings, he said SGA was the toughest point guard to guard in the league. That's over Steph, that's over Dame, over Kyrie Irving. And a large part of it the reason, a large part of the reason why he said that, he said, because s J. Sga is lyft. You know, he's six ' five. But yeah, I have to give all the props to Okay see and what they're doing this far. I don't want to jump the gun and say they're going to be there at the end, but uh, this starter is really impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I can't sit here and pretend that I thought they were going to start ten and four, but I you know, Producer Ryan asked me this morning, do you believe in the Thunder now? I honestly I believed in them coming into the season because, as you said, SGA is, I mean, first team All NBA last season, and you know, he is a you know, he's a closer, he's a finisher in crunch time in tight games, the Thunder know exactly where they want to go.
Speaker 3: Their pecking order is very clear.
Speaker 1: And then Chet Holmgren with all this attention on Victor Webman Yama, and obviously Chet is a red shirt rookie. Last season should have been his rookie season. This is officially his rookie season because injury prevented him from playing last season. But he has been fantastic early and doing it as a center. They've been able to play him as a center, and it just makes everything line up very nicely for the Thunder. And the question with these guys is because they have so many trade assets, I think that question kind of always lurks in the background with the Thunder.
Speaker 3: Will they make a big move?
Speaker 1: Will they use the stacks and stacks of draft picks amassed by Thunder president Sam Presty.
Speaker 3: When will they use it?
Speaker 1: Will they will they dive into that stack and try to go make a trade to bring in another established player, But you know they there mantra has always been patients. I don't think they're gonna bow to any external pressures about trying to speed this up and you know, trading for some making some sort of win now trade. I don't see that as being a target for them.
Speaker 3: Things are going.
Speaker 1: Really well the way it is, with the way SGA is developing. Chad Holmgren, you've got giddy there obviously, Lou Dort one of the best and most physical defenders in the league. Ken Rich Williams is back now, Jalen and Jalen Williams, Like we could go on and on and on. I mean, all these guys are developed. You know, they they it's just they they are doing it at their pace and you know it's already working, and you know they're a team. I think, look to me that I the four, I would say the foremost surprise, I would still probably give it to Minnesota, just because I think Minnesota also has mixed in some real quality wins early in the season to you know, the start that they've had. I mean, this is you know, this is a franchise that I mean, they haven't won a playoff series in twenty years, and so there is a lot riding on this season for Minnesota. They have a very expensive payroll, They have the pressures that carry over from last season when they gave up so many trade assets for Rudy Gobert, and last season didn't go great and didn't come anywhere close to what they were hoping for.
Speaker 3: But now you know the Wolves.
Speaker 1: You know, nine and three to start the season, and again some real quality wins to this point. They beat Miami early, they gave Denver their first loss, they gave Boston their first loss. They won the two games back to back in the Bay Area that sent the Warriors into their current six game spirals. I mean, they've made some early season statements. I mean, Anthony Edwards, I think everybody in the league was expecting him to play at this level after what we saw with Team USA. But Rudy Gobert looks just miles better and more mobile this season than he did last season. And so we're now kind of getting, at the very least, we're getting the Timberwolves that we expected last season when they made the trade for Rudy Gobert, because Rudy Gobert's presence that's supposed to make you, if nothing else, a strong team in the regular season.
Speaker 3: And with the defense that Minnesota is playing, the.
Speaker 1: Wolves are quickly establishing themselves as a team that has some serious playoff aspirations. And I think I think. Look, I think deep down they know they got to win a series for starters for people to really take them seriously, because again, it's been so long, not since the run to the Western Conference Finals in two thousand and four have the Wolves won so much.
Speaker 3: As one round in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I probably shouldn't have been surprised because on my own sub stack, again, my pals at stratumatic with that simulation they did. They told us the Wolves were gonna be good, and they look like right now, they look like the smartest guys in the room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I was always suspect on if it would work with Towns and Rudy Gobert playing significant minutes together. I just didn't know. I still view Towns as a center. I know he wants to be I know he wants to be label a position other than that. So it's been surprised. I mean, you got to give Definitely Anthony Edwards. We knew or had a feeling he would take the next step up, and he is averaging about twenty six points a game right now thirty five minutes. But Mike Conley man like he's doing a really good job of just being a general and a floor spacer. You know, he's shooting forty two percent from three this season, so that's a really good attribute to have with this personnel. And you know, so right now, look they're looking good. You know, Jay McDaniels is a long wing defender who who's going to pay huge dividends down the road. He's going to have the toughest assignments out there, and so they it looks like they have the personnel. I'm still like, I'm not completely sold, Steyn. I know they're number one in the West right now at nine to three. Not completely sold yet, but it definitely looks like they've taken a leap. But yeah, I'm still I'm still I'm intrigued by them. They got They've got my attention.
Speaker 1: Do you have any Wolves on your upcoming TV schedule?
Speaker 5: No, no Wolves on my upcoming TV scaled, So let me let me see off the top right quick. My next games I have next week is Golden State at Sacramento.
Speaker 1: The Oh, that's right, that was the home game that you were upset about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, unfortunately. Yeah. Then I have in season tournament, so I got a few in season tournament games. I don't know the matchups. Now after that mid December Lakers at Dallas and hoping to run into you there.
Speaker 3: Lakers at Dallas. Well, I will be there, I.
Speaker 5: Promise, yep. And then in January Phoenix at Lakers. Next week Oklahoma City at Clippers. After that Lakers at Clippers, then after that Philly at Golden State. So that's that's my schedule.
Speaker 1: And you are all westy, you are living in the West.
Speaker 5: No complaints, colts whatsoever.
Speaker 3: So I have not.
Speaker 1: This week will be my first in person look at the Lakers. As I said, I'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday night when they play Utah and Dallas and a home back to back for the purple and goal. So I'll probably have more to say about the Lakers after that. But I mean, I think Lebron is forcing us to talk about him, whether we've seen him or not, because.
Speaker 3: I mean, he is just.
Speaker 1: What he you know what he's doing, you know his he's a month away from birthday number thirty nine, season number twenty one, and he's as dangerous as ever.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you something about that, Stu. Let me this is this is going off with basketball a little bit, as it pertains to Lebron James Stein. Lebron is probably the best at responding to texts, which I would think he would be the worst ever in responding to texts. And what's surprising, like he's good at responding text Like he gets back in a timely fashion. I'm trying to think who is bad at responding to text Joelan b is good responding text. But he'll get back to see it. Probably he'll reply probably a week or two weeks later. Lebron is pretty quick. And what makes it even more remarkable he gets back and responds to your text, even on his birthday. On his birthday, Stein, it may be it may be later in the day when he respond, but he'll reply something. Lebron is an amazing texter. He will respond back in a prompt fashion. I was very surprised when I found that out.
Speaker 3: Very So you're gonna text him on his birthday?
Speaker 5: I'll text, I text month, I'll text months birth I'll give him half a birthday shout out for sure. Thirty nine.
Speaker 3: You guys are almost the same age.
Speaker 5: Thirty nine. I'm forty. I'm three years older than him. Thirty nine. That's man, what he's doing at this age man, I mean, we keep saying, we keep saying this, and it's becoming seems like it's becoming cliche. But like I thought, stein when I went to cover Lebron as a beat writer in Cleveland, this was twenty fourteen, I thought I will be covering like him on the downslide. That's what I thought. I thought. Obviously he was still gonna be great, still have his great moments. But I thought I was gonna be covering him on the downturn. This is twenty fourteen. We're in twenty twenty three, and yes, and you know, he might not be a top two player anymore, be still still a top ten in twenty twenty three. He was drafted in two thousand and three. Like this, this this is crazy, man. So uh, you know, you have to appreciate, love them or hate him. You have to appreciate the greatness, the memories, the moments that he's given the NBA, He's given so many basketball fans and the players, the up and coming players that he's that he's inspired. You know, he's he's really one of the greats, one of the true greats. Man. So you know, it's been a pleasure covering that guy.
Speaker 3: And look, let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Lebron turns thirty nine soon, Kevin Durant just turned thirty five, Steph will turn thirty six in March, and all three of them have been sensational, not just good sensational to start the season, and all three unquestionably still top ten players in this league. Like, we could do hours and hours arguing trying to argue who is the specific top five, and you know it's probably not even worth doing that because you know, no two people will ever agree exactly. But just let's just broaden it out a little bit and just say top ten. And there is no question that all three of these guys in their mid to late thirties are all still top ten.
Speaker 3: Forces in this league, which is.
Speaker 1: You know, you have to marvel at all of them. And one one little note I will add about the Lakers, because they've been mentioned as a team that would have trade interest in Zach Levine. I touched on this in my Monday notebook that I published on my sub stack. I think Philly's interest in Levine to this point has been overstated. I've already written about why, and we've discussed that on it here as well, and I think the Lakers. I think the Lakers at most when we talk about Zach Levine classify them as that's TBD at most because for starters, even if the Lakers wanted to go after him, you know, Austin Reeves and Ruey Hatchemurr, who they don't want to trade either one, but they couldn't trade either one if they wanted to before mid January. They've got several other free agents who aren't even tradable until mid December, which is still a good three weeks away. And the message I've gotten on the Lakers and I think they are at this point really counting on internal improvement to bounce back from a slow start.
Speaker 3: They've had it on the defensive end.
Speaker 1: The defense has been been much better here over the last week plus, and I think that's why you're seeing them win more. But you know, again, they they've had to do a lot of this without Vanderbilt, without Gabe Vincent through injury, so I think they want to see what their team looks like when those guys are both functioning fully. And I'm I'm definitely I'm really looking forward to seeing seeing the Lakers play twice in the span of two days and getting my own look at these guys.
Speaker 5: I can't believe you, Stey, and that's why I text you the other day. I told you I was appalled by your decision not to watch that Dallas Mavericks Milwaukee Bucks game, four superstars going at it. You missed it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it wasn't It wasn't a decision. I was on a plane and I didn't have made my decision.
Speaker 5: You made a decision to book that flight at that time.
Speaker 1: There's a reason, but because Saturdays I had, you know, I host a radio show in Dallas, so I had to I had to choose a flight that was after my radio show so I could get in studio and host the Saturday Steinline on ninety seven to one the Freak in Dallas. I hope you guys check that out online or check out the podcast version of that as well. But I had to get a flight that was suitably separated from the show so I could do the show with no issues. And yeah, in retrospect, it was a bad decision because I missed. I missed an absolute shootout in real time. But you know I caught up. You watched every dribble from your palatial Sacramento Estate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, you know, I don't miss there's a few teams I don't miss it. I don't miss a game. I don't miss a Bucks game. I don't miss a Lakers game. I don't miss a Philly game. I don't miss a Like trying to think, what else teams I just watched I have missed, have missed a Clippers game. I haven't missed a Clippers game, Warriors, and there's one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Clippers, Warriors. Fix those teams? How do you fix those teams?
Speaker 5: Then? Well, Clippers, I mean, look, they just they're coming off of that victory. They move. We've touched, we have. We haven't had the chance to talk since a report about Westbrook's move to the bench. The last conversation we had the pot I was talking about, like there's there's going to be an ugly shift, an ugly change, and players are going to have to adapt. Then, you know, I touched on that the game that I covered the Clippers at Denver in which Westbrook didn't play the last six five or six minutes of that game and he only came in for a defensive possession and what's up right back out and you know, you just knew the writing was on the wall. Then two days later, you know, I got worried that he requested to come off the bench, and so that happened.
Speaker 3: That was a nice one. That was a nice scoop.
Speaker 5: And you know how I know, how's that stun?
Speaker 1: Nobody followed up on it till there was no There was no There was very little chatter until.
Speaker 3: Tyler confirmed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you were.
Speaker 3: You were well ahead on that one.
Speaker 5: It was all it was always good to get and you know, Clippers won that won that game. James Harden had a really forgot who was the team they played? Producer Ryan he was Houston. Yeah, it was Houston and James Harden hit the clutch three. James Harden looking really good. Uh, And he would have something to say to you Stein. You you mentioned players that's thirty five plus that still playing well. He would have something to say about that. I know, you know, people feel like he might have took a season off or wasn't himself. He would has something to say about still being on top of his game at this age. But the Clippers, they they I believe they felt like this needed to happen. I really do, I really do feel like they need this need to happen. But I think they were willing to go a few more games throughout this process to really see and really evaluate and to really give players a chance to earn their worth. And so by Russ doing is going to the bench and sacrificing that allows them to bring in the guy that they've wanted all along Stime for Remember, I told you we were talking about this all summer. They resigned Russ, but they were always flirting or trying to bring in another point guard all this time. You know, whatever it was, Malcolm Brogdon, Damian Lillard, Drew Holliday, like, they kept trying to bring in another point guard. And you know, even when James Harden came aboard. That's the one thing that that kind of shocked me is we were talking about they need James Harden playmaking ability, they need the leadership at that position. And I'm like, damn, like what do y'all saying? Y'all got a Hall of Fame point guard right there, But James Harden is a different dynamic. He's somebody who could space the floor, and you probably want another spacer around guys like Kawhi and Paul George, so you know, the move makes sense. So they feel like they might be able to put this thing together now that they got the shift in the rotational lamps that they wanted.
Speaker 1: Well, look, there are so many more teams in the West that we can laser in on. I mean, we can't talk about all fifteen in this discussion, but I mean the Warriors not only got off to the six and two start, they got some road wins in there, which of course everybody members. Last season, they took the preseason trip to Japan, started zero to eight on the road, and were just a terrible road team last season. Stephen Curry is mentioned off to this tremendous start, but Steph with a knee injury that cost him a couple of games, the Draymond Green suspension, Klay Thompson struggles which have been covered all over the place ad nauseum, Andrew Wiggins, who's struggling even worse, and it's it's it's stunning, really, because the Warriors six game homestand concludes tonight after we record Warriors playing host to the surprising Houston Rockets. If the Warriors don't win that game, it's an o and six home stand. Which just you know, unfathomable to just say that out loud, the prospect of Golden State losing going ohen six on a six game homestand and you know, we could talk about Houston and just what an impact ema Udoka has had as their new coach, Fred van Vliet, Dylan Brooks, the way shng Goon is playing, I mean, the Rockets certainly deserve more of our attention. And Sacramento de Aaron Fox has come back, just named Player of the Week. When Deeron Fox is on the court, the Kings are six and one and just an absolute handful, and Sabonus has been playing so well off him, just diming it up on top of all the rebounds he grabs.
Speaker 3: I mean, they the Kings.
Speaker 1: You know, the Kings are doing what Dallas dreams of doing to this point. And you know, teams like the Kings and the MAVs, you know they're gonna be offensive monsters and top three potentially offenses in the league. When you have that much offensive firepower, it's just can you be average defensively? And Sacramento they woke up today, I believe it was fourteenth in defensive ratings, So they are in the top half of the league. I'm sure Mike Brown is giddy about that, because if Sacramento is a top half team defensively, they're going to be better than they were last season because they they've their offense has probably gotten even more dangerous with just the older these guys get expanded role for Keegan Murray.
Speaker 3: I mean, so Mike Brown will be thrilled.
Speaker 1: I think if the Kings can stay in the top half defensively, and that's been the MAVs issue. The MAVs got off to a nine and three start, which was hugely surprising, but there was a lot of schedule help in there. I mean, the nine teams Dallas has beaten, their cumulative record is only forty and seventy four, and the Mavericks have all kinds of issues defensively interior, on the perimeter, there's a size deficit, rebounding shortcomings. So the MAVs are really all offense, and the MAVs are nowhere near the top half of the league defensively, and that's their goal. Can they finish top half, because you know, if you have Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving, you're gonna have a top three offense almost automatically.
Speaker 3: But the last team I want to hit.
Speaker 1: On before we go in, before we let you resume your Thanksgiving preparations, and we will expect a full update Wednesday on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Eve on how that's all going.
Speaker 1: What about Phoenix Durant again, like Steph and Lebron, you know, defying age, he's I mean, playing ridiculous amount of minutes doing it all for them. When it's Durant and Devin Booker, they've looked great. But no Bradley Beal for three more weeks. I mean, we still have not seen the three of these guys together, you know how I mean to me, that is a that is that is very concerning.
Speaker 3: It's not a small thing.
Speaker 1: But you know, I know you cover that team closely and you know all those guys well, And what was your reaction when you heard that Beal's going to miss another three weeks?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd inspect them of this. That that much time a back injury is nothing to play with. And obviously you know they've been taking precautions this whole time, and you know, you just wonder how serious this is, you know, even even if he comes back in three weeks, like is this something that will linger. I've had back issues before in basketball, and you know, those things can those things can pop up on you again. So I don't know what I will say about the sun Stein is we all know their makeup. They're very top heavy, and they have some pretty good complimentary pieces, Eric Gordon, you know, Josha Kogi. But they're still you know, they got a lot of guys in Na's little that they're trying to still figure out, you know, what they have in him and others, and so you know, you don't know, like they're seven and six right now, and I think everybody feels like everything will come together once the big three plays together. I don't know if it's I don't know if that is going to be that easy. I don't And so if I'm a Sons fan, I'm a little I'm a little concerned with them. You know, they got to double overtime victory over Utah. You know, barely got that game, and so you know it's this is the Sons are playing for championships. This is a championship, Like they don't have years to waste. So this is definitely not the start to everybody envision.
Speaker 1: All right, that is going to do it for us on this edition of This League Uncut. But I don't really consider this an ending this week. It's almost like you can almost say it's a two part episode because again this week, Thanksgiving week, it is when the NBA regular season reaches it's one month in stage. And so today we looked at the West and we did pretty good. We got to basically two thirds of the conference in fairly substantial fashion, and we are going to continue the dialogue about what we've seen league wide through this opening month. We will do that Wednesday, will record another episode Wednesday afternoon, the idea being that we'll have it out Wednesday afternoon and that way on your commute Wednesday night or Thursday, wherever you're headed on this Thanksgiving even if you did not score a prized invitation to the Haynes Hotel for his celebrations, wherever you're going, you'll be able to take us with you and get the latest on what's happening in this league. Hashtag this League as always, friends, Please, if you haven't already, rate, review, and subscribe to the show wherever you get your pods, and yes, indeed, Wednesday afternoon, Chris Haynes and I will be back with you. Not a long wait for the next episode of This League Uncut.
Speaker 3: Talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Everyone, and that'll do it for us. See you next time. This League Uncut it is and iHeartRadio production Chris Haynes and Mark Stein. I can't