Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we are yet again offering to donate an ACL to a player in need.
Speaker 2: Slute, just hit me up. What's mine is yours? It's Tuesday, June tenth, and on today's show.
Speaker 1: It's time for another group chat with two very funny folks, social media influencer coach Jackie, an actor improviser, and New York liberty diehard Shannon O'Neill. Coach Jackie was recently a guest monologist at Shannon's weekly rat.
Speaker 2: Scraps show in NYC.
Speaker 1: They joined me to talk about creating content, the intersections between women in comedy and women in sports, and the leagues that provide the most laughs. Plus a welcome return, painting lines to grow the game, and somersaulting your way to victory. It's all coming up right after this welcome Max Slices. Here's what you need to know today. Let's start with the WNBA. On Monday, the league announced a new initiative dubbed Line Them Up, which connects local communities to women's professional hoops by painting WNBA three point lines at parks around the country. Quote designed to foster more inclusive spaces and inspire girls and women to bring their games to the park. The campaign highlights the league's deep commitment to building community, visibility.
Speaker 2: And representation in public spaces. End quote.
Speaker 1: I also just love that if you think you can hit a WNBA three, not to mention a logo three like some of the players Sabrina, Caitlin, etc. You'll actually be able to test that out. I get the feeling some of y'all are going to realize it's a lot farther away than you'd think. In addition to painting the lines, the league will also be donating money to participating park courts. The initiative is starting with six parks in New York, but is going to expand to others across the country, and they're taking suggestions. So if you know or represent a park that would be interested in adding a WNBA three point line, check out the link in the show notes more WNBA. We got two games tonight. First up, the Atlanta Dream hosts the Indiana Fever at seven thirty pm Eastern. Ahead of that contest, Fever coach Stephanie White gave an update on Caitlin Clark, who's been out for two weeks with a quad strain. Per White, Clark will miss this game too, but is quote ready to start ramping back up. Then at eight pm, the Chicago Sky are traveling to the New York Liberties, So get out that second screen you can watch both. It's the Sky's first contest since losing Courtney Vanderslute to a season ending ACL injury to the NWSL, where Gotham and US National team midfielder Rose Levell played her first match in six months over the weekend, subbing into Gotham's two to one loss to the Kansas City Current in the seventy fourth minute on Saturday. Lavell had been forced to sit out the start of the season after ankle surgery last December. Lavell said that the break from playing helped her find some silver linings, saying, quote, learning how to be a good teammate when I can't be on the field with them, staying present, still having a voice, and helping people where I can. Being out for so long really forced me to do that tenfold end quote. Gotham currently sits in tenth in the NWSL standing. I'm sure they're hoping Roses return lights a spark for the.
Speaker 2: Team to tennis.
Speaker 1: We told you last week about French tennis player Los Boison's Cinderella run at Roland Garros, while on Monday, the Breakthrough Star saw that run payoff. Ranked three hundred and sixty first in the world entering the tournament, Boisson received a wildcard entry and made it all the way to the semi finals, helping her climb two hundred and ninety six spots. The twenty two year old now sits at a career high sixty fifth on the WTA rankings list. Meantime, world number two Coco Goff is gaining on number one Arena Sablenka, whose lead diminished slightly after golf won the French Open. Finally, an amateur to pro turnaround the likes of which we usually see in hoops when players go from March Madness to Draft night in the blink of an eye. This time it's happening in softball. On Monday, Athletes Unlimited Softball announced that former Oklahoma pitcher Sam Landry was set to make her debut with the Volts, just one week after Landry's Sooners lost to Texas Tech in the semi finals of the Women's College World Series. In fact, by the time you slices. Hear this, Landry likely will have pitched in her first game. We'll link to the AUSL website in the show notes so you can see how she fared if she did indeed make her pro debut. Landry was selected by the Voltsa as the number one overall pick in the AUSL College Draft, but wasn't able to officially sign her pro contract until concluding her college career last week. There's also more AUSL tonight with the Talons and Bandits playing in Rosemont, Illinois again. That game is at eight pm Eastern on ESPN two. All Right, slices, we got an important Pride Month times Hoops and Gay Shit discovery. We just learned that Indiana Fever head coach Stephanie White and ESPN NBA sideline reporter Lisa Salters are a hoops power couple.
Speaker 2: Where were we on this story? How come none of y'all clute us in? What a duo? Unbelievable?
Speaker 1: We are always happy to add to our hoops and gayshit dossier. And a top coach and a longtime sideline reporter chef's kiss so good. It's worth noting that the reason their relationship caught our attention is not great. It's because both had to miss work this week. White was away from the fever for Saturdays, went over the Chicago Sky at the United Center, and Salters missed Game two of the NBA Finals on Sunday. According to Sunday Night's ABC broadcast, Salter's mother is dealing with the health issue, so we're sending both women and their families our best. We also got to take a moment to remind you Slices that I'll be in Minnesota this Thursday to support our show side the Minnesota Aurora FC in person. They're taken on the Chicago City Dutch Lines Thursday night at their home stadium, Tco Stadium in Egan, Minnesota. So I hope to see a bunch of you out there. Please come up and say hi. I think I'm gonna stick a bunch of Good Game stickers in my back pocket, so if you find me, it's yours. Some of you might have caught another piece of merch, the Aurora Times Good Game Times Breaking tea collab that was at the last Aurora game. It was a custom ask Me about women's sports tea featuring the Aurora logo and colors it was pretty sweet, but you can't have it because it's sold out.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't get that tee.
Speaker 1: You can show your support for Good Game with one of our other fine t shirts, So go to Breaking Tea dot com slash Spain to check them out. I actually spotted a good Game, Good Game fuck you shirt in the wild at the AUSL opening day game, and then the next day super Slice amy list was rocking her. I'm a Slice tea for AUSL Day two. So always at thrill to see them. Keep buying them, keep rocking them, keep sending us picks, wearing them. Speaking of keep sending in those selfies reading or listening to my book too. Shout out to Slice Marsha, who sent in a photo of her and the audiobook on her tablet, telling us she's listening to it while walking her dog Luna, after she finishes that day's episode of Good Game.
Speaker 2: Of course. Now that's a winning combo.
Speaker 1: Good Game at Wondermedia neetwork dot com is where you can email them. The collage of slices reading is looking good, but it still needs your face. We got to take a quick break, y'ut when we come back, we ask the age old question is she gay or does she just coach women's basketball? Jackie and Shannon upnext, stick around. It's time for another group chat where we take the tea from the text and bring it to the airwaves. We got two funny ladies with us joining us now. She's a social media superstar with over six hundred thousand followers on TikTok alone, creator of content centered around women's sports. She was recently named one of Adweek's most Powerful Women in Sports. She's an Aquarius who celebrates birthday weeks, not days, loves Broadway shows almost as much as women's sports. And we'll tell you if someone's gay or just a women's basketball coach, it's coach Jackie High coach.
Speaker 3: Hello. The Aquarius is a deep cut. I'm like, okay.
Speaker 1: Research love that somebody's got a substack that I dove into joining her. She's an American comedian, actor, writer and director, a longtime improv teacher, and former artistic director at the Upright Citizens Brigade. She has a long list of TV appearances including Broad City, Difficul People, High Maintenance, and My Favorite The Other Two. Her website bio concludes with quote, if you are reading this and we meet one day. I think that will be cool unless you are my murderer. It's Shannon O'Neill.
Speaker 4: Hi, Shannon, I'm an American comedian. I've never heard.
Speaker 2: I guess the American comedian.
Speaker 5: American is very funny to put at the front of that.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, you know what, I don't want any people who are you afraid of foreigners to leave immediately.
Speaker 2: That's true, true, Jackie. Most important question. First, are you actually a coach?
Speaker 3: I am not. I'm not. I work with children and I was doing a I was a coach for a day and they were all calling me coach, and I was like, this makes me feel like my gender envy of like being a coach is my gender. It feels right because usually kids call you miss Jackie, and miss Jackie is not me. So I was like, coach perfect. I made a video about how it's a gender hack. It's like captain or chef coach, and then everyone was like, we're gonna call you coach. I like to make it clear, I didn't name it myself, and then people sort of call me. I love a brand. I changed it so now I'm a life coach, folks.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with that.
Speaker 1: I've never really thought about that, but yeah, it's sort of like, I mean, people may assume that a coach is a dude a lot of the time, but it's not inherent. We aren't quite at the stage where we're making jokes like the doctor was a woman, right right, We're not quite there with coaching.
Speaker 2: So I love that. What's your sports background, Jackie.
Speaker 3: So Im a soccer person. I grew up playing soccer. I was a military kid, so I lived in Germany. I was on an all boys German soccer team, and that was like really fundamental to who I am. I was a very good twelve year old because of that, and then came back to the States kind of plateaued as like a very good twelve year old up until high school tore me ACL classic whatever. I wasn't gonna play in college anyway, but because of that, I couldn't do any like lateral movements. So I joined the club rowing team at LSU and I wrote in a swamp for four years. Three years. Actually, yeah, and that's my background sports. I also played volleyball. I did one basketball try out. Too much going back and forth for me.
Speaker 2: So I did not come back. Okay, multiple follow ups.
Speaker 1: One your video about what you learned from being on that boys youth team.
Speaker 2: That you originally wanted to quit because they were mean to you.
Speaker 1: It's great and I highly recommend everybody watch it on your TikTok. And secondarily, any creatures in the swamp. It feels like you'd be rowing with like gators and shit.
Speaker 3: Gators for sure. Yep, absolutely, and it's scary. I that was the part that was hard for me. It was I went to school Pete Covid, so the rowing team was like one of the only would have joined the soccer team. Rawing team was just the only one that was still going. And I was like, this is what I'm doing to make friends. I'm rowing in a swamp where there are actually caters and there we would see them and you just don't want to. I mean, you don't crash often when you're growing, but when you're a novice and you're learning, it's not a thing that doesn't happen. So I was definitely very marrid afraid.
Speaker 2: But you know, you power through and you had a weapon.
Speaker 3: The or it's more the bacteria in the LSU campus lake that we were more afraid.
Speaker 1: Of so fair Fair Shannon, you got any sports ties other than your heavy liberty fandom.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: I was a three sport athlete growing up. I did soccer, basketball, and lacrosse, but basketball is always my main main love.
Speaker 4: Lacrosse.
Speaker 5: Actually, interestingly enough, we had a freshman lacrosse team that the boys got to join, not the other way around, because it was there was no boys lacrosse team yet and it was coming maybe like the next year.
Speaker 4: So we had, yeah, a couple of.
Speaker 5: Freshmen boys and I had to were more than more than a couple, and I had to I was a goalie and I had to give up playing goalie sometimes the boys could play.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting.
Speaker 1: I've heard that mostly for field hockey in the States because it tends to be a women's sport, but especially Yeah, foreign born guys who come over and have and had played in their previous country that want to play end up getting on the women's teams.
Speaker 2: How was that for you?
Speaker 1: And I'm so glad to hear that you survived playing alongside boys and uh, you made it.
Speaker 2: You made it out what it's hair, I know.
Speaker 4: I mean, they barely it was.
Speaker 5: It was interesting because some teams would say like, no, we don't want to play against them, and I feel like maybe we made.
Speaker 4: Them wear the kilts.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have to match because we did have kilts, and I think we were like, you have to wear the same uniform. So I remember that actually being pretty cool and pretty chill. There wasn't like like we were all we all rolled with it, and I just was like, Oh, I guess that's what you do.
Speaker 4: And then you know, things were a lot.
Speaker 2: You know, that's interesting for both of you.
Speaker 1: Some of your formative sports experiences as youths were on co ed teams and just like getting past that initial sort of awkwardness and then just being like, oh, yeah, it's just sports. And we do this all the time in gym class and we do this all the time post collegiately and innermurals and like literally almost everywhere and it works out great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had.
Speaker 1: And you're still performing regularly in improv shows. And I wonder if you've found it easier of late to include women's sports references and content, knowing that hopefully more of the audience gets those references.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely, it's and it's very fun to put people on the spot. And be like, I mean sometimes I'd be just like Actually one time I was like name five I think I said, like, name five WNBA players and they're like uh And I was like, okay, name five women and they're like, So it is very it's very fun, and some are like yeah, the audiences are hipped to it. They know what we're talking about, and it's fun to catch some of the people on stage, mostly the male identifying folks that I get to. You know, they do their Star Wars references. I do my WNB references.
Speaker 1: Do you ever get taken to task by fellow improvisers for those references? Do they ever after the show say, hey, cut it out the Liberty roster making every single sketch.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that's good. That's nevern where it's.
Speaker 5: A very playful and improvs breaks. It's like team sport, which is why I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I was there, they did a whole thing about rugby scrums that was very funny and like no one really knew what it was, Like Shannon just started it and no one really got it. Yeah, and so it just became this ridiculous thing of people chanting scrum, scrum, scrum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys have met, because producer Alex was actually there and watched Coach Jackie serve as the monologist for an improv show at one of Shannon's shows a few weeks ago. A monologue that Alex said did have a great recap of the opening weekend of Women's Elite Rugby was that Coach Jackie's intentional part, and then later the scrum ensued from the improv that it inspired.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, So it's a show. Yeah, it's called Rat Scraps. It's on Sundays.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was like, I gotta get Coach Jackie.
Speaker 5: And my producer reached out and Jackie was just like hell yeah, and I was like this is gonna be great.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: And as soon as Jackie was talking about rugby and stuff and I know a little bit of it, not like a whole up, but you know, from like Alona mar and like that kind of like learning about that way, so I was able to say it and I knew what a scrum was, and I knew nobody else did, and it's just like and you just you just yes, yeah, just go with it. So I'm not going to call them out. It was just like, yeah, it was very fun.
Speaker 3: That was the best for me because I was like a huge theater kid growing up, and I was familiar with Shannon of course, and like also with the show, and so I never get emails that are about any of like the like theater kid improv side of me. So I was like, oh my god, this is perfect, Like I was so stoked to be part of it.
Speaker 1: I got a call from Gilda's Club here in Chicago, which is a cancer based org obviously inspired by Gilda Radner. And this was years ago, and I'll I miss my improv days all the time. I did the whole Second City Conservatory out in LA and that's originally what I moved to LA for was comedy stuff. And they called and they were like, we know this is a big ass, but would you be willing to come for like our big charity event and be on stage to set up some of that. I'm like, you're gonna have to tell me to shut the frow, like you're going to have other people up there that are like barely involved and that I'm just gonna insert myself into your troop, which I didn't do. But it was very hard not to because same with you. Jackie was like, this is the best email ever. I wish everyone was just asking me to do this all the time. Jackie, you want to talk about your content because you clearly you know most of the people clicking and watching your stuff are in for women's sports content. They want to follow you, and they want to learn about it. Have you changed the course of your content over the couple years of being a creator based on knowing that there's more knowledge out there or do you still sort of trying to figure out how to cater to folks that are still learning at the same time.
Speaker 3: I always say that if I'm making a video, I want to have one fact for the super fan and one fact for the person who knows nothing. So I do I try and add something in there for somebody who's like I think about if I was watching a soccer video, what I would want someone to drop that I would know that they really knew what they were talking about. So I'll reach out to athletes or other people to try and find that insider piece. And then I always explain because yes, they want women's sports content, but also people aren't really following anymore. They're just being served up with the algorithm thinks they want, And so I have to always assume that the person watching knows nothing, but also hate to watch those videos where it's like, here's the like I have to do, like the history of women's sports starting, and like you know, where do you again with some of this stuff? So it's a balance for sure.
Speaker 1: That's how we feel on this show. It's like we want to make sure we're bringing everyone along, and the easiest way to do that is to use full names, full team names. Occasionally put the league in because it doesn't really take away from the experience for the expert, the same way that like.
Speaker 2: Let's start with what's a basketball? Right? Like that you're out.
Speaker 1: But if you just include enough context clues, you could usually help new people along in ways that they just aren't served. If you're like so D D and TT and number two and why why and you're like, I'm already I have no idea what.
Speaker 2: You're talking about.
Speaker 3: Also, that's like a like a peacocking thing for men, Like in men's sports, they love to not include any information, sort of as like a good seeping thing, and they're like, we don't get it. It's not for you, and it's like, that's not women's sports if you don't get it, it is for you, and we want you to get it, and we don't care if you don't. And I always have to stop myself. I'm like PTERWHL ANDWSL and I'm like, wait a second, people don't know what that means. And I think it's important to make it as inclusive as possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually gave a podcast presentation a couple months ago, and that was one of my big points, was like, you're not really impressing anybody if you talk about stuff that other people don't understand or act like you're all insidery. What you're doing is just limiting the amount of people that can listen and enjoy.
Speaker 2: What you're talking about.
Speaker 1: If you want to tell them something insidery, then bring them along with you and give them the context to understand how you got that unique report or that exclusive but just talking about things in a way that reveals that you don't have to use full names because you're so tight with everybody, you're really not doing what you think you're doing for the people that you're trying to get to listen. Jackie, do you make enough money as a content creator to just focus on your social media work or do you have other mysterious jobs.
Speaker 3: I have a mysterious job, but I do make enough money. You know, I think I'm not necessarily one hundred percent secure where it's consistent in that, like I would stop having my job job. I also love my job job, but I yeah, it's it's become a full time job within itself for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you ever talk about your job job or is it a mystery?
Speaker 3: It's a mystery. We'll keep it a mystery.
Speaker 4: Now, are you smart, Jackie?
Speaker 5: Are you putting that money away in an ira A four oh one k?
Speaker 4: Because now's the time.
Speaker 3: I'm it's it's invested. It's invested.
Speaker 4: Okay, you gotta start start young.
Speaker 2: In what doge coin?
Speaker 1: It's invested as like Aaron Rodgers saying I'm immunized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need more specifics than that.
Speaker 3: It's in whatever, the general, Like I truly don't know how it all works. It's in whatever is the most general, specific, diversified question mark kind of great.
Speaker 1: So you have some sort of financial advisor or expert that's helping you put your money where it should be to grow.
Speaker 3: I'm finding that person. I'm finding that person. I didn't know how taxes would be terrible. So that was really a that was a big one. And now we're really trying to find a planner. I'm not a planner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I should. I should. I would recommend you do that. Yeah, get somebody else. Yeah, yeah, you're.
Speaker 4: So, you're so ahead of the game if you do start doing it. Now.
Speaker 5: I have friends that are forty and do not have a savings and I'm like, what are you doing? And so you got it. Anyway, this is a sports podcast.
Speaker 1: You have balanced that social media brings you fame and fortune, but also everything else that brings. Do you have tips for surviving online? Because you are it is a job, which means you can't just decide I'm over this and leave.
Speaker 3: Wait no, yeah, I mean it's I think for me, when I started posting, I was posting ten videos a day, like I was really really into it, and then I kind of plateaued and I just posted one video a day, and you never know, like I went viral a lot, but I wouldn't retain followers a lot. And so for me, I always think like like series like my Isshik series is like a way that people want to come back for more. And it's always about people coming back for more, and that's how you, I guess, survive online. And if the questions more about like how do you deal with hate and stuff, I don't know, it's hard. It's just you just got to have your own support system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was more about that, But I want to talk about the issue. Gegu it's so good but really quick. I just I think, I mean, is it natural then? Because I find for me personally when people ask me about like clapping back on social media, which I used to do a lot more and now I just kind of block and don't even worry about it because half the time it's like bots or people being paid to get engagement. But back in the day, I felt like, as a straight cis like physically able person who has a real tough, thick skin. I wanted to get out in front and take the slings and arrows and show other people that I was getting it and that you can clap back or you can be kind back, which sometimes I was. I would just say, hey, seems like you might be going through something, like I hope it gets better.
Speaker 2: This is kind of a weird thing to send a stranger. It's kind of mean.
Speaker 1: And when people ask me about it, I would say, it's sort of just natural for me. So is it of natural for you to be able to balance whatever hatred or threats or whatever.
Speaker 2: Maybe you don't.
Speaker 1: Get that the way that a woman in like traditional sports media does.
Speaker 3: No I get it. I I think that it's not natural. It's unnatural just as a as a general thing that happens. No one should be taking in that much of good or bad. I think that that's why it becomes unhealthy. Is you really thrive on the good stuff, and if you devalue all of it, then none of it matters, and then what's you know, what's driving you? But for me, I was actually just talking to some middle schoolers about making videos and they were asking me how do you deal with feedback? And one of the teachers said, and I actually I didn't have a good answer. I was like, it's really hard and I'm struggling. And one of the teachers said, sometimes when you you really have to say something, it doesn't matter what anyone says, because you know that you have to say it. And that I was like, oh, that's me. Like, I believe everything I say when I post it online, especially now with having a bigger following. I think really hard about what I say, and I say it and I mean it. I mean everything I say, and so that is how I'm able to deal with it. I think to myself, well, I didn't misspeak, and that person disagrees with me, and you, like you said, like, I am so privileged. And so if I'm dealing with a week of people saying really awful things, that's okay because the people I was sticking up for and whatever.
Speaker 4: I said deal with it.
Speaker 3: Just they can't press that's their whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's how I felt, especially when most of my hatred would usually come when I was talking about domestic violence, sexual assault, male female dynamic stories and sports, and so I'd always be like, they're just mad that I'm bringing something to light that they would rather we pretend didn't exist. And I'm okay with being attacked for that if it means that I'm doing the stories that need to be heard. Shannon, I feel like it's adjacent to what we just talked about. With your career, you're going to have these like big ups where suddenly you're like, oh my god, I'm on Broad City, Like, I guess this is it. I'm real famous now and forever and ever. I'm going to be just doing the best things. And then the next week it's like, Okay, didn't get that audition or didn't get that callback. How do you handle the sort of ups and downs and the fact that you're job is entirely subjective. You could crush it and the person could be like, ap, she reminds me of my ex girlfriend, and now I'm out.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. It took a lot of learning that.
Speaker 5: I mean when you when I was first going on auditions, I would be waiting by the phone, you know, checking my email that I get it.
Speaker 4: I get it, And then you finally get to a point.
Speaker 5: Where it's like you just learn, like I auditioned and now I'm moving on with my day. I just like, it's just like a bunch of job interviews and if I get chosen, I get you know, then I get chosen, and I'm but I'm very lucky in that I get to perform a lot. So I might go on audition and like maybe not get something that I really wanted, But then you know, on a Sunday, on a Friday, I get to walk into a theater and perform pre.
Speaker 4: Pandemic consistent sold out shows.
Speaker 5: We're still working on the post pandemic comeback, but I would you know, but still audiences that you know, paid for a ticket and I get to make them laugh. And that's like then I get like, I really like, that's how I dopamine. You have a little validation that like, oh no, okay, you are You're funny, you're talented, you got this, And that's just and that's why I feel so so lucky that I get to do that. There's like a lot of actors that are going out and auditioning and they don't get to like still perform that week. I get to perform every week, and I know that that is like, I'm so lucky.
Speaker 4: There's no wood in this room, but I'll not I'd.
Speaker 1: Not uh for those who might be nearby where you are and can help out with that. Not selling out every single week, where are they going to get tickets and see you?
Speaker 4: Oh you?
Speaker 5: So Every Sunday is at a theater called Caveat.
Speaker 4: It's on the Lower East Side. The show is called Rat four A's Scraps. That's the one that Jackie did.
Speaker 5: You can also stream it online, so if you can't make it into the city, you can watch it. So if you just go to ratscraps dot com or Caveat which is spelled as Caveat just look up Caveat Theater in New York City.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a.
Speaker 5: Lot of awesome performing that you have probably seen on your your TV.
Speaker 1: Is the are the four a's in rat a nod to the multiple s's in Askat?
Speaker 5: They are because UCB shut down in New York from the pandemic and it was like completely gone, and I was like, it's never coming back. So I started I used to run Askat and produce and run and host Askat. So I started a new show as an homage to Rat Scraps.
Speaker 1: Rat Scraps. I love it and it has a like similar sound to it. Askat, for those who don't know, is ucb's sort of signature flag show show, which.
Speaker 5: Is which is back now. So UCB is back.
Speaker 4: So now there's like this.
Speaker 2: Now there's an ASCAT and a rat Scraps.
Speaker 5: An ass Cat on Fridays and Saturdays, and a rat Scraps on SuDS and I.
Speaker 4: Do them all, so.
Speaker 2: I love it. Jackie.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about your most famous series that you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Are you gay or do you just coach women's basketball?
Speaker 1: For viewers that haven't seen this series, can you summarize it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I can try. I can try. Basically, it's I always say, like how it started was I was watching I was mentioned I went to LSU. So it was twenty twenty three, pretty good year for us. I was watching March Badness with my roommate and we were I think it was an Iowa game. We were looking at Lisa Bluter. We were like, what do you think what's going on there? Like do we think that she's gay or not? We really did what the videos are now, which is when I go through and I kind of say, all the hair is kind of in between gay and what a most the mom cut that everyone has, and oh the shoes those are gay, and the pants they would be gay if they didn't if they had belt loops. They don't know belt loops, so they're straight. And we were having that conversation and so I made a video and the video didn't really go all that viral. When I made the first one and I just kind of kept doing it, and I think probably the Kim Wulky one was you know, you can't give her any credit for anything, but the Kim Wulky one was the first one that went like really really.
Speaker 2: Viral and the Mulky effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's unfortunate.
Speaker 4: It's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing the blued one that might have been the first one. I said, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I saw one years ago and sent it to a big group chat of lesbians. I have a fair amount of lesbian friends where I'm just like the straight lady who hangs out with them, and they were dying laughing about it, and it made me realize that there are so many women, particularly women's basketball, but women coaching in general and women's sports in general where they really are it's hard to tell. There's a fine line between a sporty straight gal and a lesbian.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly fine, and it's that's what makes it fun. It's like, it's the thing that I always say. It's people say, oh, you're stereotyping this or that, Like no, it's like, I don't know. It's very clear that I'll say, oh, this is gay, or I a'll say like the way she's holding her phone is gay. That's ridiculous. I just made it.
Speaker 2: Up just being cunny.
Speaker 3: It's funny. And also that's like it also is like a kind of a point to like how I go about the world as a lesbian, because it is how I see the world. Kind of I just don't think about it, but I that is what I do write Like I'm looking around, I'm like, oh, I want that ring up keys.
Speaker 1: That's fair too, because if you're trying to find people to hit on, you're trying to get the cues from various things. And I remember my sister played women's professional tackle football and it was years ago, and she was asking her teammates when they would go out to the gay bars, like is everyone gonna know I'm straight?
Speaker 2: Or are they going to hit on me? Like how are they?
Speaker 1: And they're like, don't worry, shoes, purse, And that was like they're two rules, as you could tell. And then my friend Ali always says, just check the fingernails, but of course you could be a pillow princess and you just never know. But that's, you know, one good indicator, but there's all those different things when you're making your videos. How did you decide how many of them you wanted to be something you actually might look at to decide if someone's gay, and how many you wanted to be ridiculous, like oh, holding her phone straight.
Speaker 3: I think it's about half. There's a lot of it where I will just get all the pictures to start and when I look at the picture, if I genuinely look at it and think, oh, that's something that I think is something lesbians do, or like I love to be like that's something that a twenty sixteen lesbian would do and not necessarily lesbian, or like the little details, Wow, okay, best is gay, belt is gay. Hands here feel straight, that watch is gay, the hair is straight for now. But if it's consistently just like that, that's gay.
Speaker 1: And then in my head I'm like, ooh, okay, let me think about it. And then I'm like, she's just making a joke.
Speaker 2: Sarah, like you don't have to try to analyze weather. Twenty sixteen had like a peak moment for that.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. But it's about half. And it's more so that if I look at a picture and I can't find anything, then I'll be like, Okay, her eyebrows raised in a gay way, like it's it's just to make it, you know, I have to add that in there. So it's not like people will message me and they'll say, Jackie, you have to find out if this person's gay, please do a video on her. And I'm like, I don't decipher it. I'm not actually investigating. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: You're not like that geolocator guy who like looks at a photo when he's like, oh, this is in Maine, you know what I'm talking about, Like, Yeah, that's an entire career and gets paid a lot to do that. You're like, I'm not like using my like spidy sense. I'm just gonna google it.
Speaker 5: It could be a good cameo thing you could do, have have people submit a photo their friends I've done.
Speaker 2: Are you on a cameo?
Speaker 3: I was, well, I don't do it anymore because it was just so difficult because you can't send photos via cameo cameo so they would like instant to me, and it was like I felt bad charging a lot, but it was a lot of work. It was just a whole kind of a mess. But that's something I have done before, and I mean after the series went viral. I went out on the street with a let me guess your sexuality sign and I just did it on it. They all campus.
Speaker 1: I feel like there are some progressive leagues that would be wise to have you come to training camp and do a series of.
Speaker 2: The team because we did just see the stud buds.
Speaker 1: Have you know some conversations with teammates about like how they knew they were straight and things like that, so we could we could do a coach Jackie.
Speaker 2: Version of that.
Speaker 1: Have you heard feedback from anyone that didn't like being a part of your little game and or were offended that you thought anything about them was gay or straight?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I made a video on Sabrina Enescua and she she did respond in the comments and she said, I think something along the lines of like I'm not gay, bro, like what makes my shoes gay?
Speaker 2: And interesting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I at the time, I was just kind of like, oh, that's a little bit strange. I would have thought that she would be chill with it. I to be fair at the end, obviously, I always say the answer. So like she was like, I'm not gay. I'm like, I didn't say you were. I said that you're I mean I called like her signature shoes gay, which I think that's hilarious because if someone's wearing those recreationally, yeah, my gods, come on. I ended the video with her proposal like a picture of her then fiance, and I called it like a fire hazard proposal because there were lots of candles. So maybe she was offended at my uh a romantic occasion. But that was a little bit disappointing. But I was surprising, a little bit surprising. Yeah, but I understand that, Like, if you've not seen any of the videos, you're kind of like, why is this person randomly analyzing fair sex?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Fair?
Speaker 4: What ELSEO do you like that? Her response was I'm not gay.
Speaker 1: Bro, bro bro, the most gay response ever, you know, Shannon. Some of the like stereotyping can be hard to do in the comedy world because if you're speaking to a certain audience, they're like, yeah, hilarious, stereotype of way, And then if you get in front of a different audience, they want to try to weaponize the idea that you're willing to say those things about marginalized groups in order to allow themselves to make what ultimately come across as harmful or in bad faith jokes or commentary.
Speaker 2: So how do you handle sort of like the.
Speaker 1: I'm allowed to say it versus the like, here's the context and here's why this is clever and funny as opposed to just taking shots at marginalized people.
Speaker 5: Well, you don't take shots. It's like you never want to punch down. Don't punch down, so we're always punching up. I'll be a butch lesbian. I'll say, dyke all I want, I'll say, I guess, believe whatever you need to.
Speaker 4: I'll say all I want.
Speaker 5: So the things that I feel like I have ownership over, i'll say, but no end, you know, And sometimes I will I could maybe set someone up in a scene, not to give them permission to say it to me, but to let them know like I got you, you know, like I don't. I'm not here to make you feel uncomfortable or you know, if the cast is you know, we might be it might be like half queer people. And sometimes it's fun to bait a straight person in and like be like, hey, why you being homophobic, like in a scene.
Speaker 4: Just to have fun with that, and they.
Speaker 5: Know, like, we don't believe that the audience knows that they're not really that, but it's like we're having fun in a way that we are always like we're never making fun of people. It's always like there's never a victim in the scenes, which is just also what I teach my students. I'm like, any subject is up for grabs, but they can't be a victim. The bad person can't win. It has to be like we're we're making fun of that and comment all that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so we don't.
Speaker 5: Stereotypes are like in my improv and I'll you know, and even like you know, what we teach here, what I teach and what we're performing is like a no go. And if you sense the audience is like uh, then yeah, you can like kind of figure a way to to deal with it.
Speaker 4: Like I actually did a show. It was very funny.
Speaker 5: I did a show in I was in Germany earlier this year and I was over there for an improv festival, very nerdy thing, and I made a joke about like about them not being cool with like like like lesbians or something, and the audience was like what And a German who was I was doing the show with was like, what do you think of US in Europe.
Speaker 4: And I was like, sorry, in the US, this works. Yeah. I just had to be like, I won't do that again.
Speaker 1: I was like, my bad in the US plays in the shitty place I'm from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we can make fun of ourselves in the US. Totally my bad. I get sorry, you love lesbians, You're right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I think like being German is gay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so gay European. That's that legally blonde?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one thousand percent.
Speaker 1: Do you know Shannon In the comedy world, I remember, like years ago, I wrote a very strongly worded response to Christopher Hitchen's article that women aren't funny. This back in the day when I would have the free time to sit and write paragraph after paragraph disputing bullshit like that.
Speaker 2: Do you ever feel like you're there's a.
Speaker 1: Connection or a similarity between that shitty line of thinking in comedy and then the assumptions about women in sports and women in the sports world.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean yeah, just I think people just thinking that women are just not as athletic or something. Definitely, that's that's all there, and it's and I think it's you just like we needed women in comedy to trail blaze and show that they are funnier not just as funny. You know, women in sports have had to trail blaze and be like you know, hey, here I am, and you know the Now you see young boys. I love seeing young boys at Liberty games with their Unesco jerseys, their Tea Cloud jerseys.
Speaker 4: Now it's like this is so awesome.
Speaker 2: All right, I've kept you off for too long.
Speaker 1: So I have one very last important question, Jackie. What women's sports league or sport is most ripe for content? Which ones are consistently the funniest or offering up the things that you can make funny.
Speaker 3: Oh that's that's such an interesting question. It's like I want to go with like what's taking up popularity and like what's like actually giving us something good. I think that rugby is. So I'm so ready for the Rugby World Cup. Like I just think that rugby is one of I think the gayest sport ever one yeah for me, and that's where my content comes from. So I am currently in like deep in my researching rugby era preparing for the World Cup. It's not a league, so it's not answer your question exactly right, But I think for WBR is.
Speaker 1: The league all that, but that league in particular, we don't know the teams and players well enough for that to be the focus.
Speaker 2: But the sport itself works.
Speaker 3: The sport itself is ready for some really fun gay stuff.
Speaker 1: I think we also invented a word here on the show. My friend Kara actually invented it, but I use it now called scruttle. She thought she was saying scrum and huddle, I guess, and invented the combination term scruddle, which is now my favorite term and should be accepted in rugby lexicon. In my opinion, it should potentially replace scrum.
Speaker 2: Uh Shannon. Funniest sport or league?
Speaker 4: Oh fun?
Speaker 5: I mean funniest sport? Are those kids that ride those horses on sticks? That's correct, that's like the that's the funniest sport.
Speaker 2: Are we calling that a sport?
Speaker 3: I don't know, And I did a.
Speaker 1: Deep dive competitive hobby horse riding, hobby horse riding or I also think very funny.
Speaker 5: A very fun one is people that run like that learned how to run like horses, like horse girl, you know the horse girl that runs and just horse jumping. I think that's really that's it's got to be a sport. I think there's so many sports, but I will say I love I guess it's you know, I'm a little biased, but I just love that. I love the personalities that are being allowed to shine in the w n b A.
Speaker 4: I love my Marina.
Speaker 5: Maybe crash seconds, I love I love watching I tried to get a video of it. But Natasha Cloud, well, she's on the bench is so fun to watch and my seats are like diagonal, and I was the I forget which game it was, but the starters were sitting a lot and the bench got to play a lot, and I was recording her and she is just entertaining. She was holding like a liberty mutual sign at one boy and was like like because that's like one of the sponsors. There was a time where like sab fell on the ground and she just like was spinning sab around.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I believe this might have been the same game where sabria Esque was celebrated wildly about a review call that went their way.
Speaker 5: Yes, but before that, which it didn't show I guess even see on TV was she was caught on the jumbo tron. She was sitting there and she was saying to somebody else that she just was like, she hit me on the head, and she like made like a silly like face, and then entire everyone's laughing and then she looks up and she's like, oh, like she felt so she like so it was kind of like this, like.
Speaker 4: She was vindicated, she was caught being goofy, and so then she just kept her goofiness going. Yes, that celebration out of context.
Speaker 5: I think some people were like, whoa, that's you're up fifty you did that, but it was no.
Speaker 1: She just was like but also was vindicated in her claims of the of the blow of the head.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I could talk to you all all day.
Speaker 1: I'm fascinated by the intersection of sports and comedy and you both do it so well. And I am attempting. I've made like three TikTok videos. I'm attempting to make more. So I'm just gonna start following more of Jackie and just basically trying to be you coach Jackie perfect, not literally rip you off, but just figure out how you do what you do so I could do it better.
Speaker 2: Oh good, You guys are the best.
Speaker 1: Thank you for Thank you for taking the time coach Jackie, if you're willing sometime we might call you up and request a specific Is she gay or is she just fill in the blank.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll have to hit you up when that becomes necessary.
Speaker 3: Perfect love it.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much to Jackie and Shannon for taking the time to hang out with us. We got to take another break when we come back on your marks, Get set, tumble, welcome back slices. We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Follow Jackie and Shannon on social media. We'll link to their handles in the show notes, and like I said before, keep sending those picks in good game merch, and keep sending those pics of you reading or listening to my book. And if you haven't ordered it yet, the hell are you doing TinyURL dot com slash urf book will put the link in the show notes. Again, we always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email Good game at Wondermedia neetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe rate and review slices, come on, it's easy, like this some ressaulting your way to the finish line, rating one hundred out of one hundred meters of fun review. While competing at the Oregon High School Track and Field Championships, Brooklyn Anderson won the one hundred meter hurdles by pulling out a skill from her gymnastics days. By the last few hurdles of the race, Anderson had built a strong lead, distancing herself from the field a little bit, so when she clipped the final hurdle, it didn't spell immediate disaster. Instead, she tumbled and tumbled again, performing two summer assaults to cross the finish line still in the lead. That's right, She's summer assaulted twice while staying in her lane and maintaining her lead to win the race. After the win, Andersen told the Oregonian quote, all I remember is resorting back to my gymnastics career and just summer assaulting over that line. I wasn't sure how far back everybody else was behind me, so I knew to just keep rolling, to keep going because I really wanted to get first end quote. We'll link to Anderson's viral hurdle and tumble in the show notes, and of course we'll be taking that life advice into the rest of our day. Just keep rolling, Just keep going. Now it's your turn. Y'all, rate and review five stars, please say something nice about us. Thanks for listening. See you tomorrow. Good game, Coach, Jackie, Good game, Shannon. You having to be an adult and get a financial advisor, but.
Speaker 2: Like for real kids, do it. It's really important.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You could find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rutterer. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Brittany Martinez, Grace Lynch, and Gianna Palmer. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm your host Sarah Spain