Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw of Dating Preferred Dating, partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Jess Navarrees, Aisha Morrison, Kelsey Charles, and Hailey Sutton.
Speaker 4: What an exciting victory Monday.
Speaker 3: We have today a twenty five to ten win for the Dallas Cowboys yesterday over the Washington Commanders. Here on Girls Talkboys Talk, I'm Hailey Sutton, joined by Aisha Morrison, Christy Scales and Jess Navarrees.
Speaker 4: Have been practicing.
Speaker 5: You nailed it up.
Speaker 4: You did so good minute, ladies. How are we feeling after an exciting win yesterday?
Speaker 6: Loved it, pumped it. Wait, let's not tell us.
Speaker 5: I mean it's victory Monday. Anytime you have a victory Monday, it's always a great day. I feel like, especially coming to work in It's a little weight off of your shoulder, a little big you can wear your your Cowboys gear, your victory blue. You know, Victory Monday I think is just good overall. And I think something that makes it even sweeter is when you start to see improvements on things over the course of the season so far that we've been waiting to see, which we'll get into. But it's a good day. Anytime it's a victory Monday, it's a good day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so far, I've been told because my first week was two weeks ago when Cooper Rush got his first win, and the thing I was told all day long that day was I'm so glad you started today instead.
Speaker 4: Of last week.
Speaker 3: Last week was you know, the mood was rough exactly, So so far I haven't had.
Speaker 4: A rough Monday.
Speaker 5: So you're telling me you are Cooper Rush's good luck charm so far is yeah, we're seeing.
Speaker 3: So if you follow me on Twitter every single time the Cowboys have won so far, I've literally tweeted the Cowboys are She's a prophetess, so I'm not trying to brag.
Speaker 7: But the Michael Gallup touchdown as well, like a play before, I mean, she's powers.
Speaker 4: Apparently I willed that for him. He needed that, man.
Speaker 8: I thought that was one of the most satisfying. Yes, certainly, certainly a week at the Star is so much more fun after a win, but to see guys who have worked so hard, who've overcome a lot, and just good guys that you're rooting for because they're good people. And what's fun about being on the sideline is every season is a totally different dynamic and to see we only had one new assistant coach this year, but still young players becoming veteran players and leaders, and then guys coming back from injury. And the way that Michael Gallup was greeted on the sideline because everybody.
Speaker 4: Knew how hard he worked.
Speaker 8: And I think that the coolest thing was for all the high fives and hugs and slaps on the back, the longest hug and hey, they didn't say I love you man.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like air.
Speaker 8: But Britt Brown, who was the director of rehabilitation for the Cowboys, and so he's been a member of the athletic training staff for over twenty.
Speaker 6: Five years with the Cowboys, and so.
Speaker 8: He works most closely with the guys who were rehabbing. And of course Michael Gallup suffered the injury early January, so it's been almost ten months of him working back. And so when Michael gets to the sideline and that hug was a little bit longer and a little bit tighter between Britt and Michael.
Speaker 4: So that was really satisfying to see that yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's amazing. See, we love having you here insight, and the things you see from your view on the sideline is just incredible.
Speaker 8: Well, and the other thing is, I think a couple of weeks ago, we were talking about how Noah Brown with his first career touchdown and Zeke had to run retrieve the ball for him, the touchdown ball, so that he could have it to take home. Zeke had to do the same thing locker. And then one other thing Deron Bland did. We should talk about some of these, you know, last second injuries. It's very unusual to have an injury happen in game warm ups, but Den Bland, who's a rookie fifth round pick, and he had to step in for Jordan Lewis, And of course Deron Bland had the interception in the fourth quarter that basically thwarted the last commander's hope for a rally. And so it was Donovan Wilson, veteran safety, and Donovan was the game day captain for the Cowboys defense yesterday and he ran out there and retrieved the ball. For that made the rookie mistake of not keeping his first career interception, and.
Speaker 7: Even Deron talked about it, he said that like once he he's like, once he caught the ball, he was like, it didn't even feel like I was there.
Speaker 6: He was like, I didn't.
Speaker 7: I didn't realize, like you know, that I made the interception. And so until like everyone starts swarming around him. And I think that's interesting because that just lets you know how emphas he is, like how focused he is. And I I sweeted earlier today, like he read that play all the way. Yeah, he drove on that ball. He knew where that was coming to. And it's just a testament to like this team. And we've talked about the depth on this team and just seeing a lot of these guys step in in the nick of time and.
Speaker 6: There not be a drop off. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I pulled heron after the game or like as he was coming out of the locker room to talk to him, just one on one, and I asked him the same thing. I said, you know, Michael Gallup got his ball or I'm mixing that up, but I asked him about that interception and just being able to be in that moment, and he kind of said the same thing. He said, you know, like, yeah, I kind of just blacked out. But the thing that he kept talking about was the surrounding cast that he had that made him ready for that moment. You know, like, sure, he finds out minutes that he's going in to start for the first time as a rookie, and he didn't feel that way because he knew the preparation and the room that he's been in and what he's been surrounded by a practice and stuff.
Speaker 4: He felt ready and compelled to play. So he has such a strong camp.
Speaker 8: And I think that fans who don't follow the game super closely don't have a true appreciation for how difficult it is to play in the slot at cornerback, because most cornerback, you know, you're playing out while you think at Dion Sanders and the skinny, fast guys who are chasing the wide receivers down the field, and yeah, that's cornerback. But to do what Jordan Lewis does, to have that skill set to be able to play in the slot, which means there's a lot more traffic, means it's a lot more physical.
Speaker 4: You have to be a willing tackler.
Speaker 8: You know, because you're there, you know, squeezed amongst the linebackers oftentimes, and sometimes you get matched up with bigger guys who might be tied ends, you know. Instead of the little Cole Beasley's of the world, sometimes you get the bigger guys. So that is a unique skill set. And to have a rookie who's getting his first defensive snaps to be able to step in and play at that level, that's really a unique thing. And to not have this is the third week also without jy Ron curse. Yeah, and at safety, he does a lot down in the box, he plays in the slot. He's a bigger guy, and so he's a really it's a real physical uh.
Speaker 4: He adds a real physical dimension to it.
Speaker 8: I don't don't just mean willingness to tackle, but he can take on like the big guys, big tied ends and stuff. And so when you have an Israel Mukuamu, yeah, physically yeah, and so so it's it's really the depth. It's not just numbers, it's that physically they almost match up the same.
Speaker 4: So well, So kudos to the personnel department for putting it together.
Speaker 5: Like that, And I was gonna say that absolutely speaks to the culture in this locker room. And we've repeated this over and over. Really it's it's sounded like a broken record. But the next man up mentality and just how all of these guys are so locked in and they believe in their coaching. I think that is so important. I think the chemistry that they have with each other, it's a brotherhood and it shows because they all somehow, some way you bend, but you don't break. They always always find the way to make the play happen. And you have the difference makers, you have the Micaeh Parsons. Of course, how can we forget to mention Micah who It was interesting to go back and rewatch the game and really look at the plays that he's in, the plays that he's out, and how he allows for those plays to happen. When you really go back and dissect everything, Michaeh Parsons is just so special. And we keep talking about this, and how can we forget Trayvon digs ladies. He had such a great game. I think this was something that has been brewing for Trayvon. I think him going into week four and people saying, oh, he had eleven interceptions last season, what's going on? We haven't seen Trayvon. Where's Trayvon? And just all that talk. Right, he came out this game, and to be honest, when I went back and I watched and I was writing notes, I underline names that I feel like I'm starting to repeat a lot. He was such a difference maker in this game alone, and he was bullying on the field. I mean, he was making his presence known. Trayvon had himself a night and I just I was so happy to see him come back and really come back in full force.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: My favorite stat that we've been talking about, which I just caught onto, is that this is the third straight game where Trayvon Diggs has made a game ending play basically, and it just speaks to how much he's elevated his game. He's playing such better, more discipline, more physical football. You had the pass breakups. I think you had three pass breakups in yesterday's game. So just to go from being the guy who catches the interceptions to a corner who is going to make those game saving plays or a guy you can depend on to make, you know, an important tackle at an important part of the game. I think it's really kind of made him a little bit more dynamic.
Speaker 5: Of a football And I think that key drive on that fourth and fifteen in the fourth quarter, where the Commander's kind of had a pulse, it was a real make or break where he swatted that ball. I mean, that was the difference maker. And I think you go back and you look and he was reading that all the way through and just his awareness of where to put his body every single time, even when it comes to I'm barely gonna tap the ball, but I'm gonna tap it in a way that that receiver's not catching it. I mean, his his awareness to his body is just incredible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's something I think.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think I said it like a couple of weeks ago, like he was in practice and he was barking at his teammates. He was barking at Noah. Noah's looking at him like come on, man, like we're practicing.
Speaker 6: But his competitive fire.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when he deleted Twitter, you started seeing him in practice and the guy just really seemed like he locked in.
Speaker 6: And I also think it's important that we remember this is his third year. Like, cornerback is a.
Speaker 7: Very difficult position to play, and I think that, you know, we're just seeing these guys develop in front of us, and the stickiness that he's playing with is different, Like you can tell that he's reading and also too, there was.
Speaker 6: A couple he baited, he baited, He baited.
Speaker 7: Him like quite a few times yesterday and I don't know it. It is dope to see the evolvement of his game. But I think this has a lot to do with Malie Cooker being back there man in that safety spot, like being rangy and giving Trayvon. I think the faith that hey, if I slip up here, you got me, you got me, I got you, And that's something that comes with, you know, building a secondary. If you listen to them, they're talking about playing together, even the defensive lines talking about rushing is one and you can just start to see the unity on this team and the camaraderie on this team, them being drafted together and sticking together. They spend time with each other off outside the field. You can see that on this defense and how they move and how they play together.
Speaker 8: It's interesting the dynamic within at and T Stadium because the last few home games of last year when Trayvon is chasing Everson Walls's interception record, And truly it was at the point where anytime a ball winning Trayvon's direction, it was fifty to fifty is the wide receiver gonna get it? Or is Trayvon gonna get it? But the energy at at and T Stadium, every time a pass was directed towards Trayvon it was palpable. I'm not trying to be dramatic, no, but I'm saying, I'm saying you can feel it. And only a couple of times have I experienced that on an NFL sideline. And we didn't get to play in Chicago often, but when we did, and Devin Hester, who was a finalist for the Hall of Fame last year, who was arguably one of the great punt returners return specialists in NFL history, but when he would drop back for a punt, everyone was on the edge of their seat. Usually a punt's coming, all right, there's going to be a commercial time out. Everyone's making a break for the restroom or to the concession stand.
Speaker 4: But no, not in Chicago.
Speaker 8: Everyone's on the edge of their seat because something extraordinary is about to happen. And it was that way for a couple of years at Texas Stadium when Dion Sanders played for the Cowboys and he would be back there for a punt.
Speaker 4: You could just it was tingly, you could feel it. Yeah, And that's how it was.
Speaker 8: That's how it was towards the end of last season with Trayvon Diggs because everyone just wanted hit that record.
Speaker 4: Course he ended up tying.
Speaker 8: Ever Since Walls for the most interceptions in a single season in Cowboys history.
Speaker 4: But that's you know.
Speaker 8: And also to look up and just see all the number seven jerseys up there, yeah you know, yeah, yeah, yeah. You don't see too many cornerbacks with the jerseys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I like to We just had Mike McCarthy's press conference a few minutes before we started the show, and all this talk about defense. The last question he was asked was, you know, just how good is this defense?
Speaker 4: How good can they be?
Speaker 3: And Mike McCarthy one of my favorite things he said today, he said, the defense is like our team's thermostat They set the tone. And I love that that's just become this team's identity, you know, like you know, it doesn't matter if and when, you know, Dak comes back on the offense. Right now, the focus is on the defense and the defense. He said that they were the consistency on this team. The defense is what's keeping them, you know, in this season. And so I love the idea of a cornerback being palpable with that energy because that's how Mike McCarthy described this defense.
Speaker 4: So a lot of good stuff on that side of the ball.
Speaker 3: It's quickly to talk injuries, because there was a couple that McCarthy gave us.
Speaker 4: An update to the first one.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I think everyone's worried about is Dak Prescott if he's going to be coming back for next week's game against the Rams. He did say that Dak has a doctor's appointment later today.
Speaker 4: Uh, so he will be borrow morning tomorrow mornings, day morning. I'm so glad you were there day morning.
Speaker 3: So he has a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning. And then some good news as well with Noah Brown and Quinin Bohanna. Both of them all signs are pointing to being good.
Speaker 8: And see, the thing that the thing that's important about injuries is not just oh, Noah's going to miss a series or two on offense, it's within the game. Noah is the personal protector on punts. So there is a domino effect on these guys.
Speaker 4: It's like a it's a back you know, Noah Brown.
Speaker 8: Well then you have, you know, instead a just one personal protector, Noah. They end up taking Tony Pollard and Rico Dawbell and putting them side by side in front of Brian Anger. So there is a domino effect. But and then when when Quentin Bohanna went down with that shoulder entry, when they when they come to the sideline, actually they don't even come to the sideline.
Speaker 4: They just head straight up the tunnel up the end zone.
Speaker 8: And if you're if you're ever at at and T Stadium or you're watching a game and you see the trainers or the doctors take a player straight off and they're heading up towards the tunnel behind the end zone, that's not good news because when you go up that way, you know what's at the end of that tunnel, the.
Speaker 4: X ray room.
Speaker 8: So I was going to say, no, you don't, you know, you don't want them to head that direction. You want them to come over and get checked out, like for example, Zach Martin. It looks like, oh my gosh, you know, with it, and Zach is like the Black Knight and money Python. I mean he is just but a flesh wound him to come on the field. I mean, they're just gonna have to amputate something. But when he comes over and luckily they he just ended up having his right ankle retaped and he got back in the game. And I think he only missed two plays, maybe just one. But I know we're up against a break. But at one point I want to tell the story of We talked about Jordan Lewis uh missing the game and Deron Bland the rookie, having to step in, but Jordan Lewis missing the game because of an injury that happened in pregame warmups. I actually once saw an injury that happened between the national anthem and the coin flip.
Speaker 5: Oh oh oh, that's that's a good teaser.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely want to hear more about that.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna go ahead and take our first break here on Girls Talk, Boys Talk, sponsored by Jigsaw, the preferred dating app of the Dallas Cowboys, and we'll be right back with a juicy story from Christy Scales at.
Speaker 1: Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that six spring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: All right, Pepsi loving football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field. What I'm talking about is trash, and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can. No. Recycling might not be his thrilling as converting up fourth and long, but next time you're thinking about throwing that Pepsi zero sugar bottle away, just cap it back up and pretend you're down by six with a recycling bin wide open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player, and recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 2: Snapped a fresh guy who looks right at he's not there, he escapes left.
Speaker 5: He'll look full first down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Prescot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk sponsored by Jigsaw, the preferred dating app of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Christy Scales with a good story.
Speaker 5: But first, all right, we'll get the ultimate fan experience. For the ultimate Cowboys fan join Dallas Cowboys United, presented by Globelife starting at just twenty dollars. Sounds like a good deal to me. Join now and get your fan pack, exclusive benefits and more. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash United for details to join today. Sounds like a good deal to.
Speaker 8: It is a if you're ever coming out to Oxnard for training camp, make sure that you joined the Fans Club, because you're going to get to be in some areas treads the rest of the public that's not a member of the club.
Speaker 5: Autograph Alley exactly.
Speaker 8: Exactly, So make sure make sure that you do that. It's worth the investment. Plus just with the discounts that you get from the pro shop and ordering things, you know it will pay for it.
Speaker 5: So had me a discount.
Speaker 11: I'm over here like Dallas Cowboys big you know I want to talk about because I guess over twenty four years on the sideline, I mean, there were several times where something has happened in pregame warm ups or may but usually it's a guy who was fighting an injury coming in or rehabbing and then something happens, maybe they retweak something.
Speaker 8: But Jordan Lewis the cornerback not being able to play yesterday against Washington, Deron Bland having to step in.
Speaker 4: That was pretty last minute.
Speaker 8: But it does not top what happened two years ago and getting ready to play the Pittsburgh steel and we've we've already had the national anthem. Now we're getting ready for the coin flip and Tyler beyotdish it was his rookie year, but he was our starting center, and he's like feeling the back of his leg, like his hamstring, and he comes over and he's talking to the medical staff and the I'm usually over on the side by the offensive lineman, so I see all this happening. And now all of a sudden, I can just see Tyler just getting frustrated, you know. And then Joe Looney grabs a football and is doing some last minute snaps, and so Tyler Beyotdish, the starting center, missed the game because he tweaks his hamstring between the national anthem and the kickoff.
Speaker 4: Wow, what was he doing? Just no, they just they just kind of do some light the jogging. That's a little too much.
Speaker 8: Nobody the offensive lineman don't really jog now. But what they'll do is they'll get in their stance, the centers will get down and you know, snap the ball. But usually the offensive lineman just kind of we're you know, stepping back and pro that kind of thing. But something happened, and so, I mean, that was absolutely the craziest. But one thing that Mike McCarthy mentioned earlier today in this press conference, the really unfortunate thing about these injuries that happen in pregame warm ups is the inactive list has to be turned in ninety minutes before kickoff. So Jordan getting injured after that, you know, within that ninety minute period, means that they weren't able to activate and to Sean Wright, so they could have gone, they could have had an extra cornerback available. Now to Shawn does not play in the slot the way that Den and that that's why you had That's why you have right inactive instead of Bland inactive because Bland has that skill set to play in the slot. So that's that's why even though Derawn's rookie and right to second year guy, why.
Speaker 4: You have him active?
Speaker 8: But yeah, you it again, and it also affects special teams and things like that.
Speaker 4: So again there's there's a domino.
Speaker 5: And I'm glad you brought up special teams because something that Ayisha and I mean, we were we were going before the show just talking about, you know, really all aspects and and I feel like and Ayisha can definitely give you more insight on this because she's the one that brought it to my attention when I was going back to watch the game. Is the Washington punter had our special teams kind of struggling a little bit. I mean, Cavante Turpin, who's been producing and who's been giving good field position for the Cowboys offense, he was he looked like he was struggling a little bit, But I really don't think that even struggling is the right word for that. He had that ball that bobbled a little bit, and and he wasn't getting quite the yardage that I think we're used to seeing him get when it comes to those returns. So Ayisha, I'm I would love more insight on this because you're the one that brought it to my attention and I can't get it out of my head now.
Speaker 7: Nah was a tressway dope name. By the way he told us off didn't he listen? The field position in this game? Starting field position to me was a key part of both sides of the ball for the Cowboys. The only time they really saw success offensively is when there was a touchback and trusted he literally.
Speaker 6: Was pinning them in the ten.
Speaker 7: It's a nine tater tids man, and honestly, the Cowboys, you know, punk cover is pretty good.
Speaker 6: And these guys are getting down there.
Speaker 7: We'll have to talk about Kelvin Joseph maybe finding something there with you know, CJ.
Speaker 6: Goodwin. But it was the starting field position in this game.
Speaker 7: The way he flipped that field and made basically made the Cowboys have to work for whatever they got. The lack of field position, starting field position really hurt the Cowboys offense, I think. And on the flip side, I think that the starting field position for the Commanders helped them a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because the Cowboys were.
Speaker 7: Punting deep in like almost deep in their end zone and stuff like that. So they were starting at their thirty five, they're forty. They had favorable field position all game, and the Cowboys did not see any of that. I think they had a lot to do with time of possession and just them being able. It also changes your play It changes your playbook when you're that deep, Like when you're that deep near that end zone, defensive players they can pin their ears back and the whole thing changes because that windows just that window so much smaller. But as the more that they moved down the field, you saw the playbook open up.
Speaker 6: And so I really think the offensive.
Speaker 7: Struggles this game started with Trustwade doing this thing.
Speaker 6: They got a weapon over there, they really do.
Speaker 8: And to your point, Aisha, the well, the Cowboys got the opening kick. It was a touchback, so around twenty five and that that was woo. That was awesome for the day because their next day, the next one, they started at their own ten, They started at their own thirteen, they started at their own sixteen, they started at their own twenty five on a touchback, and then near their own fifteen. Now that's all in the first half, but a couple of those were, you know, losing the field position battle because the offense had a couple of three and outs tracking right, yeah yeah, so yeah, obviously a long way to go, and that, you know, that's one of the things when you look at the defensive success last year was Brian Anger and special teams did such a great job of flipping the field. This is really one of the first games where the Cowboys have not won the field positions at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, So a great point by.
Speaker 6: You on that, Thank you.
Speaker 5: And I think something that was very shocking, I think for all things Cowboys was the lack of penalties this game from the Cowboys. And I will beat a dead horse with us every week. Something that I've been saying every week because I don't want to see them have penalties during a game, those pre snap penalties that are shooting themselves in the foot. It was really the Commanders on the other side of the ball that gave up two potential interceptions that were really big, I would say, And.
Speaker 4: Then that first time changed the game. It did, and that was in the second quarter, yep.
Speaker 8: And yeah, it was negated by an illegal contact and it gave the Cowboys a first down on their own thirty three. So instead of Washington having the ball, and remember Washington had just taken the lead, and the momentum was definitely with the Commanders at that point, and they should have had the ball, and that was that was a huge play.
Speaker 5: And something that I think going back to watch, you know, more of the game was somebody that I think was kind of a little unspoken hero when it comes to the Commander's penalties was Leyton Vanderush. He was really getting those offside penalties going. He was the one that was like getting them to move a little bit. He was getting a lot of those offside penalties going, which yeah, Leyden vandersh good for him. I mean, hey, whatever if it's not the Cowboys getting the penalties.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 5: They only had four for twenty yards. The Commanders had eleven penalties for one hundred and thirty six yards, and I believe, let me see, within their first three games, they had twelve total penalties with their first three games. So the Cowboys just racked up the penalties for the Commanders and really, you look back and that that cost them the game. The Commanders were fighting for it for a little while there. Penalties will do that to you.
Speaker 8: And Michael Gallup drawing a couple of those, yeah, yeah, just go for it hand, no talk about I was just going to say a guy who really helped in that cause was Michael Gallup.
Speaker 3: You know his stats to catch his twenty four yards and that touchdown. Obviously those are huge for a guy who's coming back from injury. But I think the more impressive thing he did was draw those penalties and help with the poor field positioning that the Cowboys had to deal with. So I think he's another example of a guy we touched on MICHAEH. Parsons earlier. And obviously Mike has had two games where he hasn't really lit up the stat sheet. Like we talked about the first couple of weeks. I think this is a similar example of that with Gallup, where you know, maybe he didn't have all the catches in the world or all the yardage in the world, but his play off the ball really helped elevate the Cowboys offense and put them in really good positions to ultimately win.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then I mean we've been talking about it for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: Now just there's a vertical threat.
Speaker 7: Now you got you know, you got a guy that can push it down the field. So Cooper Russia is seeing more single high not that you know that too high show, because hey, there's a threat of a deep threat also these guys. I think it was so important to me that the Cowboys at least because the run game was sporadic yesterday, to say the least, right, I mean like, oh.
Speaker 6: Well, how do you feel about it? I felt like it had a purpose.
Speaker 8: The run game was dutiful, yes, because what it did was it set up action.
Speaker 6: And that's what I was getting to.
Speaker 7: I think last year you saw a lot is that teams did not believe you could run the ball. They did not care if they weren't even loading the boxes. They were just dropping six to seven in coverage, right. And now that the Cowboys have shown in this last couple of weeks, we will run the ball and honestly, they honestly will run it until they see success in certain areas. I don't agree with the A and B gap stuff, but do what you do, and I think it really if you do it enough, yeah, they're gonna like those linebackers aren't gonna be sure if you're gonna run the ball here or not. And play action is something that Cooper Rush is really thriving on right now. I think he's number one in the league with the play action passes. And when you start talking about kind of what the Cowboys are trying to do with starting to establish the run game and trying to methodically move this, you know, move the change, I think that play action is going to be a big part of this offense moving forward. And I'm excited to see them getting the deep shots down the field to get guys to hey, pump your brakes.
Speaker 6: Hey listen, you can't.
Speaker 7: Key in on everything intermediate respect what we have on the back on the back of this offense.
Speaker 8: Yeah, here's here's the thing Ritzy and Wiley. I guess that's Wiley Texas. Can you explain more about play action pass?
Speaker 6: So oh somebody said that?
Speaker 5: Yes, So what's no?
Speaker 8: Because you know, I think that we need to please let us know when when there are terms tossed around, yeah, and we're not we're not quite sure what's going on. You know, when we would do the Cowboys one oh one for women, Babel Offenberg, my Cowboys radio colleague, and I did it for years and years, and so I think sometimes, especially uh women who didn't grow up playing the game, and you kind of hear these terms, you're not quite sure what they mean, and sometime it can be intimidating because you're nickel dying. Yeah yeah, rpo, What does all this mean?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 8: I tell the ladies football was invented by men. It's not that complicated. We can figure it out half the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 8: So a play action pass, what that simply means is the quarterback is pretending to hand off the ball. He's faking the handoff and then going to throw. It is a pass play, but you're faking the run. Well why is that important? Well, because as Ayisha mentioned you're trying to get those linebackers to commit because oftentimes you're trying to throw the ball over the top of the linebackers. So even if it's just the slightest hesitation that they have to respect the run for just that long, it gives you that much room to go over their heads. It also can slow up the pass rush as well, because the defensive linemen or the pass rushers who are coming after you as a quarterback and trying to take your head off, you know, they have to pause for just a second because did he hand the ball off?
Speaker 4: Do we need to tackle the running back or.
Speaker 8: Do we need to keep going after the quarterback. So the importance of staying committed to the run. Even though the Cowboys averaged barely over two yards to carry yesterday.
Speaker 4: You still have to do it. It's like boxing. Get jib jab jab jab jam and.
Speaker 8: I'm with the Haymaker. So by staying committed to the run, it makes the play action work because they have to respect that you may be handing the ball off absolutely yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, and also I think somebody, and not to change the subject from the run, but somebody that we haven't mentioned, Ceedee Lamb Wide receiver one had himself a pretty good game, specifically in the in Cowboys, like, Oh, my goodness, the Dallas Cowboys third drive of the game. I'm just so excited to talk about CD. It was three passes, three consecutive passes to CD. Beautiful. Within those three catches that he made, he had fifty three yards racked up. That is incredible. And for the fact that when I go back to my notes, I'm looking past to CD twenty three yards good throw by Rush. The ball was perfectly thrown, perfectly placed for that catch, and then you saw that two more times after that. That was beautiful. And I think something that's been very important is to see CD really connecting with Cooper Rush and the duration that he's going to be in his starting quarterback because you see that with Noah Brown and Cooper Rush, right, but I don't necessarily see we think that we've seen the same amount of chemistry really with Cooper Rush and CD. But that drive really had me questioning. I said, oh man, that is great chemistry, great awareness by CD to know exactly where the ball was going to be placed. Just absolutely beautiful for everything, and something that I noted here on that third pass that he caught. Jason Peters was in there, and so Jason Peters another unspoken hero.
Speaker 6: There we go.
Speaker 5: See we had them both in there, another unspoken hero of the game that I think just continues to make an impact whether whether we see it or or not. And I mean that within the locker room. And I think Tyler Smith continues to get better every week. I mean, man, there wasn't a lot to really say that was negative in terms of penalties, going back to the original thing we're talking about in terms of penalties for the Cowboys, which enjoyed that this week. That made my victory Monday even better than I'll have to talk about penalties for the Cowboys no penalties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting when we talk about this offense over the last couple of weeks, the way the conversation has shifted from DA's out, what are we going to do? To Okay, Cooper Rushan come in to win a game, but we'll see what he can do next week, to now the conversation is just the consistency that he provides. We talk about the defense being consistent to win games, but I think that's the way every single person in that locker room, the way Mike McCarthy, even Jerry Jones after the game. That's how he describes Cooper Rush is that consistency. He's not gonna be a guy who's gonna go out and be flashy. He's not your game manager, as Mike McCarthy told us earlier.
Speaker 4: But this is a guy.
Speaker 3: Who's earned the respect from his teammates just solely by the way he conducts himself in that backup quarterback role.
Speaker 4: So it's just been interesting to see.
Speaker 3: I think every single week his stats have pretty much been the same.
Speaker 4: There's not a whole lot.
Speaker 3: You know, he's throwing about thirty passes a game, he's tossing about two hundred plus yards a game, and he's averaging about a touchdown in a half. So it always feels good to have that in your arsenal for your backup quarterback.
Speaker 5: And he just puts together.
Speaker 7: It's it's so crazy because you'll look at the offense and you like three and now three and now whatever, and you'd.
Speaker 6: Be like, what is going on?
Speaker 7: And then he comes out there and they put together a real drive and then yeah, like the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: In the Monday night, It's New York said, are you a gamer?
Speaker 7: Are you a gamer, because it's it's like it's night and day in some instances where they're just like, let's go score right now, and they're not denied with the seedy Lamb, you know, comming that you may talk about him, I think it's important that we see that he gets in a rhythm early in the game. So it seems like he's that type of player that needs to get touches early. He doesn't even have to be anything fancy. Just get the ball in his hands, let him feel the ball, get a feel for how the game is, and then from there let's get going with them.
Speaker 6: I'm excited.
Speaker 4: Why you laughing? No, just just because that that.
Speaker 8: I think it was the first play at the fourth quarter, his thirty yard touchdown catch. That is the easiest touchdown catch you'll ever see for CD Lamb because normally his or like the contested catches or falling backwards in the end zone and you know all that crazy stuff. Yeah, just a post route and the guy took the outside. What's a post route? Oh, ladies, this is really you know a post route. Guess where you run on a post route? You go up and then you cut towards the goalpost. All right, So but man, I know he's like he couldn't believe that there was nobody around him.
Speaker 4: You know, I couldn't believe.
Speaker 5: There was nobody around him. It was wide open. It's like they wanted CD.
Speaker 8: But that's Cooper Rush looking at it. You know, you look middle left and then you come back to your guy right.
Speaker 6: So you've got it.
Speaker 4: You've got to pull the safeties.
Speaker 8: You've got to keep the coverage away so that CD can work the one on one and look away. Keep that safety over there, and it's by the time he reacts, it's too late for him to get back and defend the past.
Speaker 3: Yes, ceedee lamb his second touchdown of the season. We are going to take another quick break, but we'll be back to talk more on this victory Monday about the Dallas Cowboys. Here on Girls Talkboys Talk, you're sponsored by Jigsaw, the preferred dating app of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth spring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: All right, Pepsi love and football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field. What I'm talking about is trash, and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 9: Recycling might not be as thrilling as converting up fourth and long, But next time you're thinking about throwing that Pepsi zero sugar bottle away, just cap it back up and pretend you're down by six with the recycling bin wide open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player, and recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 12: It's Smoothie King's original Angel Food and new Angel Food Slim without added sugar. You no longer have to choose between treating yourself and hitting your goals this summer. You don't have to choose between great taste and feeling great because that's Smoothie King. Every blend is made with whole fruits and no syrups so you can satisfy your cravings without compromise. The only choice you will need to make is which one is best for you. Try our classic Angel Food or the new Angel Food slim Blended without added sugar. Smoothie King Rule the Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk sponsored by Jigsaw, preferred dating app of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: More on that win, but first.
Speaker 5: Fall officially kicks off at the Start with our first ever Fall Fest on Saturday, October eighth, from eleven am to three pm, My favorite season. Come out to the Toastedoes Championship Plaza for a day of family fun from a beer garden to a petting zoo, face painting, live music, to Fall inspired food and more. I wonder if they do face painting for adults so it's fun. The event is freedom for the public. For more info, please visit the Startinforscote dot com. I'm not kidding, I love Pumpkin season. If you're gonna paint anything on my face, better be a giant pumpkin.
Speaker 4: So you're getting the pumpkin lattes. In July had Yes in the middle.
Speaker 5: Of the I'm the direct consumer and my apartment had my pumpkin decor up in July. It went from you know, my supper to cord to pumpkin.
Speaker 7: Hey, there would be no pumpkin spice slimmers, thank you, thank.
Speaker 4: You, respectfully. I wait for pumpkin. My nephew's birthday is Matthew.
Speaker 8: His birthday is Halloween, and until he was like nine years old, he thought that everyone dressed up and everyone handed out candy because it.
Speaker 4: Was his birthday.
Speaker 5: But it was, it was. It wasn't for.
Speaker 4: He's thirty four now, but yeah, well he can years.
Speaker 5: Later, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: Switching things back to the Cowboys, guys, eight straight wins over division opponents for this Dallas Cowboys team. I think that's an incredible stat given, you know, the injuries that they've dealt with over the last meetings with those divisional opponents. And as we switched back, we just talked about the offense, we talked about the defense. What else has been clicking for this team as they had into a break from n c NFC East.
Speaker 7: Play what I guess, I mean, obviously the d line play is clicking. I think that they're they're still You can tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm looking at how dan Quinn does like his rotations. There's so many you know, sub packages and stuff, and the multiplicity of this team is just continuing to show. It just continues, like these guys come out. Dante Fowler is a guy that I think, you know, I don't think he was an underrated free agent signing, but his snaps have you know, slowly but surely increased, you know, and he's impact in the game. But then also as far as the run defense, is there any concern for you guys, how do you guys feel about how they have defended the run, because yesterday I felt like they definitely improved in the second half. You could see that dan Quinn made it a point to shore up what was going on on that left side. You could tell that, you know, the commanders were going at that spot.
Speaker 8: What did you see, Chris, Yeah, I think one of their points of emphasis last week was in terms of containment, because where they got hurt on Monday was was Daniel Jones, the Giants quarterback who got most the running yards. I mean, he just killed the defense in that way, and so that was one of their big points of them assist yesterday.
Speaker 4: Now Wentz was under so much harassment.
Speaker 8: Wentz has some You know, he's athletic too, he can move around. Those two intentional grounding penalties were real killers for Washington yesterday. But I know that coach McCarthy said earlier today that Quenton Bohanna should be fine, but that big body defensive tackle. Defensive tackles are the ones that are in the middle of the defensive line. Those are the guys who are the human speed bumps. Okay, you know, don't let any We had a guy back in the nineties, his name was John Nicks. He was as wide as he was tall, and they called him a trash can full of dirt because you just weren't able to move him. So so I'm hopeful that Bohanna is able to get all of his work this week, all of his practice reps, and be good to go in LA because we need those stout guys in the middle of the line.
Speaker 4: OSA.
Speaker 8: I think he doesn't get mentioned a lot, but I thought he had another strong game. You're talking about the defensive line. I know that DeMarcus lawrencey didn't register any sach yesterday and all those pressures pressure, it's just he's he's the war daddy. Yeah, and that, to use Jerry Jones's term, he's he's really the heart of the leader of the defense, really the heart of the defense. Donovan Wilson. I know we're talking about defensive line, but he's the thumper in the secondary and delivering the hard hits and a really strong game. There were so many tackles for loss yesterday, particularly in the third quarter.
Speaker 4: I've got TFLs.
Speaker 8: I just make little notes, and so if it says TfL that means tackle for loss. And in the first three series two for Washington on offense won by the Cowboys. I have one, two, three, four, I have six TFLs written in my notes and so, which means tackling behind the line of scrimmage. And Donovan Wilson had one of those. Malie Cooker had one, and so so get put in the other team in the long down and distances. Key.
Speaker 5: Something I wanted to ask you, ladies, And it's only because I missed the game that I hate when I have to miss a Cowboys game. I mean, I went back and I watched it, but I went back and looked at Cowboys Twitter what was going on, and something that was being questioned was the game management when it came to fourth downs for this game and Mike McCarthy deciding to for goo the you know, the fourth down attempt in the second quarter and then again, let's see it was the Cowboys third drive and then in the Cowboys twelfth drive of the game, And so I just wanted to ask. Obviously, we know they trust the defense. We know the identity of this team is the defense. We just said that, but what is y'all's opinion really when it comes to not going for the fourth down? Especially this one was a fourth and one over here? I believe this was in the fourth quarter, and so what really is y'all's opinion on that not going for the fourth and one? You know, when I think they were on a roll at that point to make it. It could have been another three and out series. Field position wouldn't have been an issue. But game management wise, how do you think Mike McCarthy has been doing with those decisions? And I know he's gotten scrutiny in the past, you know, a couple of seasons, but I personally don't think he's doing a bad job with it. But I just wanted opinions here to open up the table to get Cowboys Twitter back on the right track.
Speaker 4: Do you want to take it first out?
Speaker 7: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I don't have any questions from yesterday.
Speaker 8: I would say that to almost two and a half seasons in the thing with Mike McCarthy would be being too aggressive and going for it too much on fourth down. So I had no questions about yesterday. The other thing is you were talking about Hayley, you were asking things that really stand out. When Bret Maher is four for four on field goals and he's what ten of eleven or eleven to twelve so far? Yeah, ten of eleven. I mean, there's just no question about it.
Speaker 6: Money mah.
Speaker 8: And then Brian Anger the way that now I know he had, the the way that the defense was able to you know, they're at their own thirty yard line and they keep Washington off the board, not even a field goal, much less a touchdown. What a standout series that was for the Cowboys defense. But Brian Anger has been money. Yeah for both And so other than that one shank which was such a surprise.
Speaker 5: And I don't think we'll see that again from Brian Ainger, that was I think, you know, Michael Parsons said, it best last week of If you see something happen in the game, you're probably not going to see it the next I think you just look at it. It was almost the ball placement. It just I don't think it's just.
Speaker 4: A little high. It almost went off his ankle. It was just probably the drop.
Speaker 8: Usually if you see something like that, it's outdoors, it's really windy conditions. And I know that sounds silly because you're only dropping the ball just a couple feet, you know, from you know, from your waist to.
Speaker 4: Where your foot strikes it.
Speaker 8: But sometimes the win can affect a drop that had nothing to do with yesterday.
Speaker 4: It was just a mishit.
Speaker 7: Nah, No, Christy makes a good point. I mean your field goal kickers. Yeah, he kind of looking a little automatic. I'm not gonna talk a whole bunch of mot I mean, like, I don't personally know if it's a lot of jinks. And when you look at Kickers, a lot of its confidence and the locker room is showing great confidence in him. I think Mike McCarthy showed great confidence in him yesterday and people getting behind him is what's going to continue to feel him playing well. And it looks like you're gonna need him for a little bit, you know, as your offense continues to progress. But I also want to, you know, let everybody know, take a second and go.
Speaker 6: Look across the NFL.
Speaker 7: People aren't just putting up thirty every game right now. This is a very progressive thing right now with preseason being changed the way that it was. So you're I think we'll start seeing offenses start to get in a rhythm here in this next few weeks or whatever. But yo, like your offense, your offense is still finding this way. A lot of teams are still finding their way right now. Let's just be patient to see what we got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just feel like if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Speaker 3: Right And when you got a I like money Mayer who has been hitting so well at Chrissy mentioned ten of eleven, are you going to take the easy points or maybe chance it on fourth and one.
Speaker 4: And possibly get closer to the easy points?
Speaker 6: Yeah, because that that D line.
Speaker 7: We didn't talk about it a whole bunch, But don't sleep on pain and Allen.
Speaker 4: They gave. They were tremendous. They they were tremendous.
Speaker 7: I saw I was watching the game again yesterday, I see ninety four chasing after Tony Pollard, I said, what is this?
Speaker 6: Well, they did tackle.
Speaker 4: And having the two of them side by side.
Speaker 8: Now it's going to be a chore this coming Sunday against Aaron Donald. But to have two first round picks its back years Alabama. They were outstanding and like I said, that was beating your head against a wall for Zeke and Pollard yesterday. But credit to Kellen Moore for keeping keeping with it, softening them up and setting up play action.
Speaker 3: Absolutely credit to this Dallas team for picking up their third straight win.
Speaker 4: They are now three and one on the season and they face the Rams next week.
Speaker 3: We will break it down even more on Girls Talk, Boys Talk coming up tomorrow, but that'll do it for us today. For Aisha, Christy and Jess, I'm Haley Sutton and we will see you next time.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.