Speaker 1: Four teams, one goal, making it to Las Vegas in just a few short weeks. With all eyes on the prize, We've teamed up with DraftKings. They're an official NFL partner and they are going to get you in on all the action right now. New customers who bet just five dollars are going to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Yeah, instantly, download the DraftKings app now, sign up using my promo code Bullyball for your shot at the crown.
Speaker 2: That's right again, I want to say it.
Speaker 1: New customers who bet us five dollars will get two hundred dollars in bonus bucks instantly.
Speaker 2: Wondering what you can do with your two hundred dollars in bonus.
Speaker 1: Bets, Well, combine multiple bets together from the same game for a shot at an even bigger payout. And if you're already signed up for DraftKings, you can get in on it no sweat a no sweat vet, get a bonus bet back if your same game parlays GPX bet doesn't hit max reward limits supply, But if sports betting isn't available in your state yet, don't even worry about that you can still join it on all the fun with DraftKings Daily Fantasy and have the chance to win cash prizes there. So download the DraftKings sports Book app. You can get it now. New customers use the promo code Bullyball. Bet just five bucks on any wager and get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. That's promo called Bullyball only at Draft Kings Sports Book. The crown is yours. Welcome into Bullyball, presented by DraftKings. I'm Rachel Nichols. I am still in the US of A. That's the America's cousins. He is not buggy Taiwan. You've been there for about a week now, your team is two and oh since you got there. But what is it actually like?
Speaker 3: It's actually really nice.
Speaker 4: I'm enjoying myself here, you know, like you said, we've won two games. Fourteen hour flight. I basically got off a plane win play a game. I haven't played an organized basketball game since last July, so you know, it's been a fast transition for me, you know, trying to get acclimated with everything and get used to the team, learn the plays, learn the system, things of that nature.
Speaker 3: So it was a quick turnaround for me.
Speaker 4: So, like you said, too or those things are going well, so you know, things aren up, so I'm excited for all.
Speaker 1: Right, what's the part of basketball there that's the most different from here?
Speaker 3: Man? It's a physical game.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 3: You know, the NBA isn't as physical as it was.
Speaker 2: At one point anymore, man.
Speaker 3: Especially when I first came into the league.
Speaker 4: But I mean my first game, I played a guy that was seven to seven and I've never seen a human being that massive in my life. That's the first time in my life I've ever like felt small.
Speaker 2: So yeah, say, I don't have that much sympathy for you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not asking for sympathy, you know. You know, I'm a whole own.
Speaker 4: But it's definitely an experience I'll never forget, like actually looking up to another player, So crazy experience. But like I said, it's been fun. I'm enjoying myself and you know, we're going to keep this thing rolling over here.
Speaker 2: I just want to give you some perspective.
Speaker 1: That guy was seven foot seven year around six eleven, so you know, we're talking about what like eight nine inches depending on whateverone's measured at that day. Your difference in height to me, my friend is let's see, eighteen inches eighteen inches I'm five before.
Speaker 3: I felt five for last game, so I know how you feel. Rich, I trust me.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're still going to ask you a bunch of questions about what's going on in the NBA state side. I do want to point out too, it's after midnight there for you, so thank you very much for being here.
Speaker 2: Would miss an episode. I love it, I love it all right.
Speaker 1: First up, we got to talk a little bit about the Suns because they have won five straight. This is kind of what we expected more when they put the team together this summer, especially with the additions they made before they had all those injuries. Devin booker Man had fifty two in a game over the weekend, and by the way, they also beat the Pacers yesterday, So it just feels as if the pieces are starting to be there. Do you feel that you can say that they've turned the corner book because they're seventh in the West right.
Speaker 3: Now, you could say they are.
Speaker 4: This is a team that didn't have their you know, their entire team at the beginning of the season. They lacked a big piece in Bradley Beal early on, so them, you know, slowly starting to comment our own at this point in the season. It only makes sense. They didn't get the luxury of you know, having this right away at the beginning of the season. So you know, they're finding their flow, they're finding their rhythm, and obviously you have a three headed monster and these three guys and Bill, Booker and KD so you know, it only makes sense. But I think they'll only continue to get better. I still feel that this team does need a point guard at some point in the season. And the reason I say that is because, you know, being with them having Booker and Katie early on, I think that should have been more than enough to keep them in a playoff spot.
Speaker 3: Right For some reason, it just didn't work out that way.
Speaker 4: So obviously Bill is a huge piece of this team, but it still should have been enough to you know, keep things afloat. But I think a traditional point guard would help this team tremendously.
Speaker 3: You know, there's plenty of time for them to add an addition.
Speaker 4: Who that addition is, you know, we'll never know until that time comes.
Speaker 3: If that time comes.
Speaker 4: There's plenty of options out here that can you know, improve this team at that spot. So we'll continue to see how to you know, play throughout the season and we'll see if they ever do you know, add that key piece that they need to you know, actually be a contender for this season.
Speaker 1: And wow, I mean look, I mean when Beal is out there, it does make a huge difference. The amount of spacing everybody else has just skyrockets up. And he has played I mean, these three have only played together I think eleven to forty two games.
Speaker 2: That's just over a quarter of the game's played.
Speaker 1: So we just haven't seen yet what I think we are going to see if everyone stays healthy. I mean, that's the other side of this, right We've seen them when everyone isn't healthy, and if an injury happens to one of those top three guys, it's such a top heavy team that can affect their playoff run certainly as well. But for right now, having those guys all together has made clearly a huge difference, and I think now it's just a matter of figuring things out. Defensively. They're still in the bottom half of the league. Defensively, those numbers are particularly bad when you isolate to the fourth quarter, So again, they're on a five game winning streak, so some of that's really improved. But that to me is the direction now that they have all these guys in the lineup, they have to figure out for me at least, And.
Speaker 2: We'll see if they make a deal before the deadline.
Speaker 3: Book.
Speaker 2: I don't know from your lips.
Speaker 1: Maybe Suns fans would be excited about bolstering the team and we'll have to see if they can make their way up into the middle of the Western Conference standings.
Speaker 2: Well, feel good about it.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the other side of the conference though, with the Pacers landing Pascal Siakam. This trade happened such high hopes for the way these teams, this team would absorb Siakam, that they would fit together, and then with him on the floor.
Speaker 2: So far they're oh and too.
Speaker 1: So look, we're not judging off of two games, obviously, but what do you think long term of the fit there and how much is Pascal Siakam going to change the fortunes of this time.
Speaker 4: I think this was a great move for the spacious team. I think he fits, He fits in seamlessly with his team. I think he's a great compliment to Halliburton, the pace they play at the young it's a great mixture of young and old talent, well older talent, I don't want to say old, but older talent. But I think if it's perfect and it's gonna take a little time for them to figure each other out, you know, figure out the chemistry, gain the chemistry. Him, has to learn the system, he has to learn habits of his teammates and vice versas. So it'll take a little time. It's a mid season trade, and this is usually how you know midseason trades happened, and it's gonna be an adjustment period. But as far as on paper, I think it's a perfect move. And you know, I think the Pacers can easily slide into that top five in the East.
Speaker 3: M h, maybe top six.
Speaker 4: But I think they're a team that's gonna I think this is a team that's going to definitely make some noise in the East. And they're a dangerous team on a nightly basis. So like I said, I think this is a great move for the spiciest team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, look of the two games they lost, one of them I mentioned was to the Suns yesterday. They haven't had Tyrese Haliburton in the lineup, So that's been a huge thing of this transition for Siakam. How is he supposed to get used to playing with Tyrese Haliburton when Haliburton isn't there. Tyre'ss mixed six at the last seven games. You know, we're still sort of waiting for that hamstring to level out. So I think we're gonna have to wait and see what happens. Obviously, just the speed on the break with both of those guys is going to be just, you know, like thunder or raining down on people and the pacers. You know, there's a lot of hype about how they're you know, top three in the league and transition and their transition offense it's so good and all this other stuff. I think what people forget is that that then allows them to drive the lane really well too, And they're top three in that by the way, top three in points from drives, and top three in just attempt to drive attempts. So I think that he's going to help on both of those scores because he's so good at that too.
Speaker 2: And we'll have to see.
Speaker 1: I just the larger question is, are these two guys enough that you would put them in a year or two just sort of not in that top five or six, but in the top one or two, depending if they can build around them.
Speaker 2: Is are they enough to be your big stars?
Speaker 4: I say yes. I think Halliburn is only going to continue to get better. He's still a young player in this league. He's still in actuality, he's still figuring out his game, like, he's still going to grow in his game. Like I said, he's only going to get better. I think Siakam was a great compliment to this guy, and I think once they gain that chemistry, it's going to be a scary duo. So they have some good key pieces around him and Buddy Hill, Miles Turner. Miles Turner, he can shoot the ball, he protects a round greatly, Buddy Hill being one of the better shooters in his So this team is definitely taking the steps to becoming a team that could possibly contend at some point. But as far as the move they made with Siakham, they're making the right steps moving forward. So I think they have a bright future ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, and he does officially become an unrestricted free agent over the summer. However, the feeling is that this deal would not have happened if there hadn't been some agreement that the Pacers are going to use the extra money they get now by having his bird rates to re sign him. Teams don't make these kinds of deals unless there is a little bit of a wink wink about a long term contract. So you know, I think we can expect this pairing for a while. I think he will help them defensively, and I think they are a threat to maybe, you know, upset one of the big boys in the East during the playoffs. We'll have to see how things progress, but I think this is going to be a young, fast, dangerous team, and certainly for a Pacers group that can't attract a ton of free agents in the summer. I think that this was huge for them too, because this is the way teams like this build is. They're not going to be some hot free agents destination, so they got to build through moves like this, and as a result, I think they will get who would have been the hottest free agents of this coming summer of pass galciakam so smart move all the way around.
Speaker 2: I could not agree with you more on that one.
Speaker 1: I want to talk a little bit about this issue that has been bought to bring me boogie talked about a little bit over the course of this season, but I've reached my boiling point.
Speaker 2: I can't deal with this anymore.
Speaker 1: Because we are now that we're at the midway point, little past it. We are really starting to see which players are potentially going to be affected by the new rule the NBA has in place this year that you have to play at least sixty five games to be considered for postseason awards. I do not understand how this is supposed to change the amount of games that guys sit out, because yes, I think making all NBA is an honor, and in some cases it affects contracts, which we'll talk about in a minute, But in general, players are not going to put what they consider their health in jeopardy, no matter what the incentive is in the moment. So I don't know how much this rule is actually impacting the behavior that they're concerned about and the way that they thought it would. And all it is doing to me is eliminating worthy candidates from a place of honor that they should be in. And I can give you some names here if we look at the All NBA teams from last year, Boogie, you had five of the guys big names who did not play sixty five games and would not have made it. So if I look in here, I'm looking at Yannis Steph Lebron, Jimmy Butler, and Damian Lillard all would have been eliminated from postseason awards if this rule had been in place. This does not make sense to me, and it impacts guys money also, because if you don't make All MBA at a certain time, you're not eligible for a supermax. At Boogie, you certainly you know with the mechanic of when you were going to get the supermax from the Kings and sort of how it was working, that is a big difference in money. You've got two guys this year with bam Adebaio and Dearon Fox are on the list who if they do not make All NBA, and they both have had injuries so far this season, they each will be looking at a difference and what they can be offered of ninety three million dollars. That's crazy that this rule could impact that.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm very upset to feel my thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, ragel I totally agree, and I could take it, you know, a step even Firth. I mean, obviously the money is a huge issue, and it can you know, it can affect a player's pockets, but on top of that, it could affect the player's legacy. These guys could be missing out on all NBA you know selections which, like I said, asked to their legend, as to their legacy. When these guys careers are over, it could be two three seasons where they missed out on this because it's something as simple as you know, they played sixty four games instead of sixty five. But I just I don't think it's a realistic thing. And this is going off topic a little bit, but at the end of the day, I blame the analytics. I think analytics are literally fucking the game up. And this is an example why when I came into the league, you know, guys didn't miss games. You didn't have to worry about low management, you didn't have to worry about, you know, a guy taking two three games off just because hey, I don't feel like playing this week. I don't think guys are as conditions conditioned as they were in the early twenty tens when I came in, even something as simple as training camp. When I came in the training camp, we were having two days for the first week. Training camp lasted two weeks. The whole first week it was two days. The first part of practice. First part of practice, you learned the system and the defenses. You came back the second half of the day, you scrimmagh. And it was like that for the entire first week. So we're now at this point in the league where you know, they they're preaching this low management and reserving you know, with guys, uh these players' bodies and things of that nature. But at the end of the day, I think it's also crippling these players. It's hurting these players, and it's also hurting the competitive nature of the game. So you know, we I don't want to offend anybody, but we gotta we gotta remove the nerves from the game because, like I said, it's fucking up the game.
Speaker 3: It literally is fucking up the game.
Speaker 1: So I would argue, you're talking about two separate things. I will say the NBA agrees.
Speaker 3: With you management.
Speaker 2: Now though management in that you're gonna get me. I don't tell me, tell me, I don't agree.
Speaker 4: It's I just I hate where it's going because obviously it kind of seems like it's off topic. But these things literally go hand to hand, and it's no reason that you know, Joe LMB, who I believe is the front runner to win MVP this year, if he misses another ten games, you're sitting here saying that this guy isn't eligible to win MVP.
Speaker 3: And that's that's mind blowing to me.
Speaker 4: As incredible of a season he's had this year, that may literally makes no sense. So the reason I say is the analytics the reason I say we need to remove the nerves because the analytics is the reason we're at this point where guys are missing games.
Speaker 1: Well, look, analytics is just a big category, right. There's some analytics that tell you, hey, you should shoot more from the right side because guys aren't guarding you. There's that, to me, is a sort of smart ways to improve coaching. But I do get what you're saying about load management. The NBA agrees with you. They just put out a report saying it doesn't actually impact players' health in the way that it was initially thought to be. Now that is they can report to be putting out at this time when they are trying to get more players back into the games. But however you want to look at that, that is what they just put out. And your point about honor, I think is a huge thing in terms of how guys are looked back on because we've been talking about the last couple of weeks. The All Star Game is a popularity contest. That is literally what it is. So it is not a marker of how good a player you were. It certainly is an indicator if you're saying an eight time All Star, ten time All Star, huge, huge thing about you wouldn't have gotten to that point without being exceptional at this game of basketball. But it is not the same as all MBA, which is a much more sort of, you know, based on your season judged thing of hey, how did you actually do in these games as opposed to how many people like you? And I just think that taking that away will skew our perception of some of these players when we look back at them compared to others. And certainly the MVP part that you point out with Joel, I mean, what a bad sort of chunk of luck that this was changed during his prime of his prime, because if he ends up being a two time MVP. That puts him in a different category in the game as a one time MVP, and that would completely shift just because he hasn't played two or three extra games. I mean, I just I don't know, man, I feel like you're messing with a lot of different things. You don't need to be messing with to convince players to do something that I don't think there is enough outward incentive for them to do. I think that guys are going to play as much as they feel like they should play, and that teams enable this behavior, and that trying to correct what the owners are and aren't doing to protect themselves by putting in this rule makes no sense. You own the team, You want your guys to play more. Tell the coach they all got to play more. Tell the players if you're not playing, I'm going to reduce your contract. I don't need to protect the owners from themselves here where they don't want to actually sort of take responsibilit for any of this, and they each run their teams in a way where they will rest guys to get the advantage.
Speaker 2: That sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Then to have to come in at the end and say, oh well, you guys can't, you know, sort of deal with your own franchises and your own rules.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna have to make this external rule to try to prompt guys to play. I just this is dumb.
Speaker 1: I don't like it, and I hope that this is the last year it happens.
Speaker 2: I really, really, really do not like this rule.
Speaker 1: So again, we're at the midpoint of the season, a little after we start to see the guys at effects and I will be I'll be on this boogie as we come forward. We got to talk a little trade talk as well, because of course trade deadline's coming up in just a couple of weeks now that the Raptors have completed the Pascal Siakam trade, but they got Bruce Brown back in that deal, and we do not expect Bruce Brown to stay in Toronto.
Speaker 2: We expect this to be a quick.
Speaker 1: Turnaround, kind of like Drew wasn't in Portland, and we'll have to take a look at who has the best offers for him. But right now the reports are the two teams most in the running are the Knicks and the Lakers, so good little rivalry there. Both teams explore getting him in free agency this past summer. What do you think of either of those teams acquiring him? Would he make a big difference to both rosters to just one roster? What's your take.
Speaker 4: I would love Bruce Brown on this next team. I like the direction that you know, this organization is moving in with the type of players that they're you know, trying to put together and form with this team, Bruce Brown fits im perfectly. He's that gritty, you know, tough, hard nosed player that you know also fits Thibodeau's system.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: He matches the rest of the team as far as their playing style, and I know he's a great on ball defender. He's a hard hustling player, so all of those things just fit this team perfectly. So my mind, Bruce Brown going to the Knicks will only improve this team more, even more, even after adding a guy like OLG. So yeah, I think that's the perfect move for them moving forward. And once again, if they if they are able to make this move, you can see them moving up in the East even more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you're completely right. I think he'd be perfect on that team. They have a little more more capital to play with in terms of trades, so they can make a deal for him and still have enough leftover to make another deal down the road, Whereas with the Lakers, they're so thin that I don't know what they can offer the Raptors that would then not deplete them for making other offers to other guys, you know, acquiring other guys that would fill their need fit their needs also. So it's going to be interesting to see if this really does become a war of bidding war between these two teams. But to me, the Knicks are the right fit, and I think to Bruce Brown, the Knicks are the right fit. But he actually said the other day, Hey, I could be a great Tom Thibodeaux player. He said, I love to run. You mentioned how he was hustling, you know, I love to play hard. I love that character. So he's campaigning to get to the day.
Speaker 4: It makes sense, it makes sense. He knows what, he knows what's well for him. He knows, you know, what system works well for him. Obviously, he was a huge piece for that championship team in Denver. Yeah, he changed the whole dynamic of that team with just hustling energy. So, like I said, I think he fits in with that Nick culture. Perfectly.
Speaker 2: Another deal we're looking at is Kyle Kuzma in DC. The Wizards aren't.
Speaker 1: Definitely going to deal him, but he's certainly available for conversations. And two teams that have sparked some interest there of the Mavericks and the Kings. I guess which team do you think could use Kuzma more Between those two franchises.
Speaker 4: I think both teams could use him, but I would love him with this King scene, the pace that they play at. Obviously, Cools was a you know, a part of that championship Lakers team with the Bubble team. Kuz knows how to play, he knows how to you know, fit that mode of you know, being that sidekick or at sometimes you know, third fourth option on teams.
Speaker 3: And he's a versatile defender, he's a versatile score.
Speaker 4: I just picturing him next to Sabonis, Fox Monk on the floor getting up and down. At the pace that they play at. That's a scary team, and I think he elevates that Kings team to, you know, to the level that they're potentially trying to get to. Obviously we all know that they have, you know, championship aspirations and you know, adding a guy like Kuzma. I think they get one step closer to reaching that goal.
Speaker 1: See that's why I like him on the Mavericks, because I feel like they're closer right now. So I like the idea that Kuzma could raise them into that like super elite West level. And look, people forget because he's been on such a bad team that has really struggled for so long now and is trying to rebuild at the moment. This is a guy who's shooting forty five percent from the floor. He's twenty two six and four on the season, and again, in an environment where nobody's winning, nobody's scoring a lot of points. It's just not been a good place for him. And if he moved to a team that was doing all of those things, I think you would see his defense pop back up. As you said, he's a versatile defender. He defended well during that championship run with the Lakers, so he's capable of doing it. He just probably hasn't been in an environment where it feels like the highest priority right now. And I would love to see him on that team because again, now we're really talking, if you've got Luca and Kyrie and him and I just and some of the supporting players they have there. I'd be interested, man, I want to see it, and they would help Washington too with what they're trying to do with rebuilding and acquiring assets.
Speaker 2: But I'm willing for you to sell me, even sell me on the Kings deal.
Speaker 1: What would the deal you would do with the Kings to acquire Kyle Kusma, How would you put that together?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the obvious would be there trying to correct that for that three four spot within their team. So I could see a guy like Harrison Bonds being you know, on the block and a part of that trade, and a guy that's been struggling to kind of crack the lineup and Davion Mitchell. So I think it benefits both sides. Those guys get to go to Washington, Davion Mitchell gets to expand his game and show you know, the league that he is, you know, a top player or a guy that could fit the mode of being a starting point guard in his league. Obviously that will never be the case playing behind dearon Fox in Sacramento. So, like I said, I think that's you know, a move that benefits both sides. And I think both sides get better. So in my opinion, Kuzma going to the Kings just it just works. It fits with exactly what they need. You know, they're big on, you know, a certain type of guy, Kuzma, super laid back, things of that nature. So it just fits the moment. Everything fits perfectly with that team. So I could see that move, you know, working for both sides.
Speaker 1: All right, So mister GM, what about the first deal that we talked about. You want to see Bruce Brown with the next how would you execute that one?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: With Bruce Brown, let's see Evan Fournier. Evan Fournier would definitely be on the move. He you know, he's been very vocal about, you know, not enjoying the role that he's had the past couple of seasons. He's falling out of the rotation and you know, he's a veteran guy that still has a lot to offer. So him being on the move, going to a new destination definitely would help him with finishing out his career. And you know, the Knicks can move on with what they're trying to do with creating an identity within this team of you know, hustling grit and everybody kind of matching that vibe with now adding Bruce Brown to the picture. So once again, I think both sides will benefit from that and they'll be able to get off Evan Fournier's that's right. They have plenty of pigs to throw in.
Speaker 1: And I was going to say they need to throw in a few things to sweeten the deal, but you're right, they've got They've got that, so they could do that no problem.
Speaker 4: And like I said, I think every everybody benefits from it, so it just makes sense.
Speaker 2: I like this, You've solved all of the NBA's problems and two trades. You're good.
Speaker 1: Just sitting there in your layer in Taiwan. I like the idea that you've got, Like you know this this Asian plenty of time over here, Like let me organize everybody's trades. All right, it's time for I will take that bet presented by Draft Kings and Bogie. I want to take a look at the Lakers and one of the odds up on the board right now. It's obviously been an up and down season for them. They had a nice win yesterday. They're showing us flashes of what they said that they could be. But still I mean, when you talk about what they need before the trade deadline, it feels like it's getting to be a very long list. They're the number nine seed right now, they're twenty two and twenty two, they're exactly a five hundred. So the bet is will they or will they not make the playoffs. They are plus one oh five to make the playoffs and minus one thirty to not make the playoffs, So that's where the better money is. Are you taking the bet? I just want to point out this means that they will make the final eight after the playing round going into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Are you taking the bet?
Speaker 3: I'm taking the bet.
Speaker 4: I'm taking it bat And the reason I say that is because one of Lebron James two Anthony Davis, with that being your foundation, you always have a great chance. I don't know what's going on with you know, the rest of the team or the rest of you know, those rotating pieces that go around those two guys last year worked well. This year it's just not working. Yeah, I'm not really sure what it is. But I still think with those two guys that have a great chance of making the playoffs, obviously they're gonna, you know, make some moves this during this season or maybe during the bio marker, who knows, but they're definitely make some moves. But like I said, as long as those two guys are your foundation, they have a great chance of making the playoffs. So I'm taking that bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, this is the second half team. We know that we've watched that. I mean, they were not in great shape at this time last season. They made the Western Conference Finals, and yeah, some of it is because they scrambled and made those trades, and I do, like you expect them to make trades again before this trade deadline. But a lot of it, too, is that Lebron James and Anthony Davis no one to turn it on that influences their other teammates. I think everybody has a more collective energy going in that building. You know, when you get to the second half of the season, I just I've seen this movie with Lebron too many times before. The team isn't doing great in the middle of the season. You know, he's one of the few guys who's powered a team that didn't finish in the top ten defensively and still ended up winning a championship. This happens with Lebron James teams now in the back half of his career, and I just I feel like we're going to get that push still coming. But I guess part of it depends too on what these teams were just talking about trades for the Kings, what was happening with the Suns, right, and they're on the move, So you know, some teams.
Speaker 2: Could get better if they get better also, But.
Speaker 1: I'm still I put my money on the Lakers making it in before I wouldn't. Right, it is now time for doom scroll. Oh yes, we search the socials. We searched the internet so you don't have to. We bring you the hottest stories every week, and this time it involves our own Puggy. Part of our collective group here, as you know, includes Stephen Jackson, includes Paul Pierce, and they've both been involved in a storyline with you Donnas Haslam.
Speaker 2: This week. Oh yes, UD's number, his name went up in.
Speaker 1: The rafters of Miami after twenty years being such a core part of that team. I personally was thrilled to see you Donnas go up there. I think he absolutely is etched on that franchise's history.
Speaker 2: Stephen Jackson apparently agrees with me.
Speaker 1: He did this whole post on Instagram tribute to UD one of the realist guys to do it, you know, and he pointed out this was earned, not given.
Speaker 2: He went through this whole list of accolades.
Speaker 1: For Haslam and just at the bottom and a comment there on the post is our friend Paul Pierre saying, nah, man given, not earned, which is now caused a lot of back and forth. So, I don't know, maybe you're the tiebreaker in our group here. We had Stephen Jackson, pro we had Paul definitely con I want to know where you are and what you think of Paul as usual making trouble this week.
Speaker 4: You just you gotta love Paul. I'm gonna start off with that, you just gotta love Paul. But back to this, it's absolutely deserved.
Speaker 3: You did. Is a huge part of that Heat culture.
Speaker 4: Obviously, when it comes to, you know, the criteria of getting your jersey retired, it's it's a certain standard that goes amongst the league. But also with that being said, the Miami Heat organization works off their own standard. They've created their own standard. They've always operated differently than the rest of the NBA. So they set their own criteria and a huge part of that is jodona'sassen. He's the og, you know, that's what they call him. He's well respected within the organization, within the locker room. He's a huge part of the reason the culture is the way it is, and you know it is it is deserved. So when when you think about it from their standard, Uh, obviously, Paul can you know, have his opinion. He's he's a Hall of Fame player. He comes from an organization of.
Speaker 2: Members up the Raptors in Boston.
Speaker 4: Gardens absolutely, and Boston has some of the greatest players to ever lace him up. So it's a different criteria when it comes to Boston. But like I said, when it comes to heat culture, when you think about it, you're Donna's Hassem is the first person that comes to mind outside of you know, the way, But when it comes to you know, pushing the culture and preaching the culture is ud So I do believe it's deserved. I think most of the league has a lot of love for you d and the way he cares himself, the way he goes about being a professional, the way he takes the young guys under his wing, and you know, just teaches the game and it's always dropping knowledge, so you know the mommy. He also have Dan Marino and Michael Jordan hanging up like like I said, they they just operate on their own. Yes, they do it their way, so to each his own. And with that being said, congratulations ud Man, well deserved brother.
Speaker 1: And those numbers going up in the rafters of each building, no matter what city you're in, are about what you meant to the franchise. It's not the Hall of Fame, right, we have a Basketball Hall of Fame to judge where you are in the greater scheme of the NBA and NBA history and all of that stuff. The numbers going up in the rafters are about what you meant to the team that is deciding to put them up. So to your point, the Heat have their own system, their own set of values. He certainly qualifies. But even in just sort of one of these other teams systems of values, you donnas meant enough to that franchise that in any of those other buildings.
Speaker 2: If he had done the same thing, I believe.
Speaker 1: His number would still be going up. I mean, he has just been a core, core part of who that team has been twenty years is a very very very long time. So few guys have done it with one team so nowadays. So I just I don't think there's any question, But I appreciate that Paul Peters could just not help himself when it comes to that Miami franchise and that era and ended up with them. So I just I don't know if he thinks he can go back and we're in a playoff series that they didn't just throw all of these comments. But you know, he's also gotten himself in trouble this week with someone over in the NFL.
Speaker 2: To plays for the Bucks.
Speaker 1: So you know he's got a lot on his plate right now with all of the beef that he has started.
Speaker 3: You gotta love We love him.
Speaker 2: We love you, Paul Beers, we love you. All right.
Speaker 1: This is a much sadder and less entertaining part of Doom Scroll. This really bummed me out to see Sports Illustrated has laid off basically its entire staff.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: A lot of the key staffers do have contracts for the next ninety days. We will have to see if another buyer comes in. If they do buy it and want to keep them going, then those employees I assume will sort of either be formally rehired or just let be allowed to stay on. But there's a bunch of dominoes that has to happen. For that to happen, someone does have to come in and buy this and want to resuscitate it as an actual institution, because that's what it is to this country, and the value that Sports Illustrated has in the hearts and minds of sports fans. I just don't think you can create that anymore. Like it's too big a media market these days. There's too many things competing for your attention. When Sports Illustrated was Sports Illustrated, it was because it was the only game in town. And then you know, we started to get you know, Slam and some of the other magazines that meant so much. But Sports Illustrated was the rock that a lot of that stuff that idea was built on, and you just can't get that anymore. And I just I cannot understand these ownership groups that there have been several in the last few years, just letting this brand deteriorate into the ground. I mean, Buggie, you were on the cover of Sports Illustrated. What did that mean to you? It wasn't just some like normal thing.
Speaker 2: Right man.
Speaker 4: It was a huge honor and honestly, growing up, you know, as a young kid trying to make it in this game, you strive to try to be on the front of Sports Illustrated. Some of the greatest collegiate athletes and professional athletes you know have you know, graced this cover.
Speaker 3: So when I think.
Speaker 4: About it, it goes right back to my childhood just remembering some of the greats being on the front of it. And you know, one of the coolest moments, and you know my college career was you know, being able to be on the front of I Got the Rock My one of my favorite pair of shoes was the Space Jamie Levins And yep, I mean, it's just so many memories when it comes to this magazine.
Speaker 3: So I agree with you.
Speaker 4: Hopefully something somebody comes in and buys this, you know, takes over you know, this this magazine and hopefully continues the legacy of it, because it deserves it. It's a huge part of this sport in general, and like I said, it's a huge part of my childhood. So hopefully somebody comes in and does the right thing.
Speaker 1: It's just a resource that's not available anywhere else anymore. You can't go out and create another Sports Illustrated it.
Speaker 2: So this is the one.
Speaker 1: This is the thing that holds that place and everyone's heart since sort of has been the standard for so long. I just don't know how someone isn't going to see the value in it. But as I said, the last few ownership groups certainly haven't. So it's it's just very difficult to watch. We have friends who are there, of course, you know, our producers were kicking around some ideas for SI's future. Producer Nate would like to see Michael Rubin of Fanatics by it. I actually love, love, love this strategy. The idea that Fanatics could then market the covers, right, So if they were able to restore Sports Illustrated into meeting as much as it used to mean with the quality journalism and making the cover was a big deal, you could then market those covers as collectibles, right and also put my T shirts license them stuff like that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like the producer pod thinking here.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great idea as well.
Speaker 4: Right, It's just it's too special to sports to let this just you know, die out and act like it never happened. This is definitely something that should you know, be able to be continued. And I think Michael Rue want to be the perfect guy, you know, not only you know, take over, but elevated and continue to this legacy live on.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll have to see if he listens. If anyone out there is listening, please take care of this institution. We as a sports fandom collectively, we need you to. And I just said, there's some really good people over there and I would like to see them still getting to do what they do best. All right, but we have kept you awake in Taiwan for too long. I appreciate you hanging out with us in the middle of the night, Psyche. That has been such a good start for you over there, and we can't wait to see more to come. You will be back with us next week again from Taiwan.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: The dedication and we will see all the rest of you guys next week as well. Until then, you can find Bully Ball on the All the Smoke YouTube platform, you can find us wherever you get your podcast, and of course on the DraftKings Network.
Speaker 2: Catch you guys next weeks.