Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Better Offline. I'm your host ed Zitra and I.
Speaker 3: Have lost the plot. I've lost the plot.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're bag download a T shirt, log onto the newsletter, send me four thousand dollars in cash. That's the only way you could get onto the premium. It's cash. But today I am joined by two of the powerhouses from Kill the Computer. Of course, I've got Juniper and Kleb here. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: You do really great? I'm doing wonderful, awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was just reading what appears to be a school shooter manifesto that was posted on pound.
Speaker 1: Heres AI centrist why data centers built? But really loves talking to to a chat GBT about all of his plans.
Speaker 2: But I like the first line of it the most, by the way, which is because we get asked a lot, No, you don't who is I'm constantly at Palenteer, Hey have you come up with like, oh, I don't know? Twenty two different points to explain who you are? Because another great thing about this is it does still does not explain what Palenteer is. Yeah, still don't know. True, it's evil salesforce is the best I can get to it. Like, it's just like they send forward deployment engineers to your business, they charge you a bazillion dollars in some time. I mean, it's just Oracle actually now that.
Speaker 1: My understanding is that it's like an app layered on top of like databases. Essentially, it's like what it are different companies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just I was gonna say evil Oracle, but I think that that's Oracle. That's just Oracle. I mean their first client was the CIA. Yeah, yeah, first client of Oracle with CIA. Very funny.
Speaker 4: Back in Peter Thiel did a Reddit AMA like ten years ago and he called the CIA a front four palanteer in that that was very funny.
Speaker 1: Come on, dude, I hate these people. They are like they're they're stunting on all of us all the time. They think they can just like do this ship and I.
Speaker 2: Mean it was like, come on, literally stunting in the to the extent that they're doing stuff with confidence that they shouldn't have exactly because it's like they're trading at some ridiculous earning. This is exactly the kind of thing that goes away. Also, really like the problem with government contracts is when you have them, they're awesome. When you have them, they're great when you're like to guarantee money. But if the government is ever just like, I don't know if I want to work with the manifesto brothers over here, I don't know if like, like Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Twenty two points, that's a lot of that's a long manifesto.
Speaker 4: Second, the twenty third point that he only sent to a couple of people. If some of you are cool, don't come to school.
Speaker 2: I thought point fourteen would be a little more racist though, American power, let's actually.
Speaker 1: Go through these showy okay please?
Speaker 2: Number one. Silicon value was a moral debt to the country that made its rice possible the engineering elite. Silicon value is an affirmative obligation to participate in the defense of the nation. So, first bit, I might agree with you, do you duo society money? You you owe the most debts of gratitude. And then the second part it's like, oh, so you just care about war?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think it's really uh, just for context here, I've been kind of racking my brain for the first blog that we're doing over on our Killer Computer Newsporper website. I think It's really easy to interpret this as like him being cynical and be like Dinging holding his hat out money, like like you might think Elon Musk if he said this, you know, he's just asking for more tax payer money or something. It's important to remember that like Alex Cart believe in this, like very sincerely, all the stuff that he's saying. Yes, you know, there's probably some cynicism too, because he's obviously is you know, his whole business is baking money off the federal government in some ways, but he does believe every all twenty two points or sincere.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think specifically this point fourteen two especially, like he does believe these things. Peace for who this long piece for who? Sure in the imperial core here in the United States in the air quotes west, of course it feels peaceful, but we like we just started a war in Iran. That's not peace. That's like the common thing where it's like, oh yeah Israeli Israeli idea of soldiers get killed or by terrorists, but Palestinians they just you know, they died. Who knows what happened in killing? Yeah, yeah, yeah, no source on that one, you know where that came from.
Speaker 4: Is interesting in that, like his entire life, he has, you know, he's especially this like a progressive Democrat that since October seventh specifically is kind of yes, absolutely, he's uh, he's you know, he voted against Trump and he fought with Peter Teel about his support of Trump. I was as recently as like twenty twenty four, it was, uh, yeah, it's actually it was October seventh that really kind of and then some like anti book stuff. I still think that he does believe in some of these things. He's just kind of going into like I don't know, midlife crisis, divorced dad, like I don't know what I believe anymore mode sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I he's every interview I watch with him, I feel like if I had his number and be like, hey man, call me. Yeah dude, doing all right? Man? Yeah? A little too much coffee this morning, you know what I mean, a little too much espresso.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It makes you makes your face itch, and it makes you feel a little crazy. A little too much express on my head because you see a guy like this bouncing around on stage and it's like how miserable, How miserable? Like being alive must really fucking suck for you. That's I know, it's really generic to be like these people need their but like these people need friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like just wonderfully one guy that's outside of themselves too, because there are friends with each other. Of course, they all love to each other.
Speaker 2: They dream, fucking they don't care about each other. No one's doing a brother check in on the single. I don't think Peter.
Speaker 4: Thiel is in any place to give karpa brother check in in any case. You know, he's like, hey, man, I just interrupted my Antichrist conference to see how you're doing SI review.
Speaker 2: Are you all right? Yeah? You do it? Okay? You see them a little, you see them a little off the rails. Sorry I didn't call you back. It was just right. A sixty two thousand word screed about why woman must change. But let's continue with the manifesto. Actually another thought with zero point one. It's like the moral debt, the Silicon Valley owes the country. It's only in its defense, not making it better. Yeah, I'm making people happy, but just war.
Speaker 4: But just one more quick point. Believes his dissertation. I mean, this is all part in parcel his entire worldview he genuinely believes, so even when he was still anti Trump, he would say stuff like, well, I believe like some of his policies in the Middle East are good. His dissertation, A big part of it is the idea that aggression towards others other is like the great social glue for a nation state. So Christ, Yeah, it's very strange for like a you know, this supposedly progressive guy who I genuinely do believe think he does economically want better things possible, and you consider like the where he came from and stuff. Intellectually he does believe some of this stuff. But yeah, he wrote his old dissertation about how like, uh, you know, war and hate towards others is like a societal glue.
Speaker 2: It's also I don't mean to attack people's physical ability, but like mo' meant to be scared. What do you mate, I don't know, just like.
Speaker 1: It looks like his bone will snap if you just like blow at him.
Speaker 2: Also he seems sickly, all right, So number two we must rebel against the tyranny of the apps. Is the iPhone our greatest creative, if not crowning achievement as a civilization fucking out, get an editor, mate, the object has changed their lives. It may also now be limiting and constraining our sense of the possible. What yeah, I can I think what's great? Like, what are you fucking talking about? Like? Yeah, the iPhone was a huge deal. Is your argument that social networking is scary and bad? Because kind of agree? Is your argument that, oh, it's limiting and constraining our sense of the possible? I'm guessing this is an AI.
Speaker 4: Thing, right sort of, so he don't. I do not recommend doing this. I recently just listened to an interview of him the UTX with Barry Weiss, friend of the show.
Speaker 2: Really good, uh mind Master's it was. It was very very fun to listen to two genius Yeah, two geniuses last in the middle of the science. That awesome.
Speaker 4: But in that he kind of expounds on this idea and his his thing is basically, and actually I kind of agree with this. We have the best and brightest minds in the tech world working on you know, apps that where's the nearest sandwich or something? Right, these these are people that could be doing something that kind of goes back to his original point of like civic duty. You know, his interpretation of what civic duty or what could better this country is is probably different from minding yours, but it is logically congruent. I also think that, you know, if you understand like the tradition that he came up intellectually. He goes to study under Hobermus uh German philosopher the connected to the Frankfort School. He understands these kind of like social theories and frameworks that he kind of appropriates a little bit. And Hobbarbas's whole thing was he's like the first forum guy in history. His whole point was we can only reason through the world by arguing, And that's the guy who Karp wanted to have mentor his dissertation.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 4: Of course that's kind of a misunderstanding, but that's the framework through which he's viewing everything. So Hobbamus also would say early technology takes people's ability to argue, to go to cafes and talk about and participate how society should look and work. So that critique of technology is also part of what Karp is trying to say here.
Speaker 2: But I'm just gonna say something that's very woke, But wow, is that a dude's opinion. Wow, is that just like, can you imagine a woman walking around just like arguing with people and not being killed within like one week. I don't mean this. I mean this just like, based on every conversation I've had with a woman, like, it appears that like the world that a woman lives in, and people of color as well, Like it is a very white guy thing to expect. Like if you just go around arguing as a woman, you're framed as emotional and crazed. If you're a person of color, you're violent and argumentative. But a white guy, well you're just it's the marketplace of ideas.
Speaker 1: Fucking he just wants to be a great man. It's just then, father.
Speaker 4: Was abros father was an advisor to the Nazi Party, and he himself was Hitler.
Speaker 1: You he was Alex carp studied under him. Well right, right, he goes.
Speaker 4: It's actually very funny. Morat Weigel, who founded a logic magazine I believe is what it's called. And she's a very brilliant writer. She kind of like dissected his whole career because for a lot of long time, a lot of people thought, oh he studied her under Hobermus, he's like this, he's connected to the Frankfurt School and this and that. Well that's like partly true. He did go there and he did have many conversations, but he tried to write this dissertation about aggression a bunch of other things too. That it's very jargony literally, and Hobbs said explicitly to him, he faxed him a three page takedown of his one of his first drafts with his dissertation that says, you are not like interesting enough to ever be taken seriously on this, he won't even be able to compete with like literary critics. And it's it was so bad that Hobbramus said, I will not mentor you for your dissertation.
Speaker 2: And that yes, Alex Carr, and that is so funny. Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah shit, And this definitely is a sticking point for him. He did eulogize recently and he did talk about that how the pain of that like stuck with him. Of course it's stung, but he was like, I was actually grateful because it was like, you know, this foundational moment for me for like realizing that I would never be like an academic and I had to become a builder or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't know. I'm like. The other thing is, is you hear something like that. Every great autist story you hear like that usually ends with them continuing that. I like, yeah, I believe in my job.
Speaker 4: Didn't make the team, but he did, you know, go to bulls or Brian Wilson got the F in music class, but wrote pet sounds He and just then decided to make like Hitler Sales Force.
Speaker 2: Just a very specific period of time as well. Gino Smith said, they wrote me off. I didn't write back. Let's not think about eighteen months. Yeah, let's not think about the next part that anyway. Let's move on to point number three. Free email is not enough. The decadence of a cultural civilization and indeed it's ruling class, will be forgiven only if that culture is capable of delivering economic growth and security for the public. I was with him right up until that word security. Mom When I hear the word security, I'm like, Oh, you don't mean social services, do you?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no, no no. I do find this when interesting overall, though, because I think you're right up until that last moment. But I think it's like a sort of admission on some level that he knows that there is like some sort of level of revolts against the liken like techno billionaire class and that they're like, you know, like like we're like. I think it's interesting that he is at least aware that something has to be done, like a little bit more than just like oh, you can talk on chat GPT or whatever. But but again, of course, I think, especially as we continue to go through this, I think a through line of all of this is how military, like, how militaristic minded it is, and like heart power and like sort of like I would say techno fascist or tech techno feudal or whatever you want to like, whatever word you want to use for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not trying to to like, well, actually, you June, A lot of people will say techno fascism, and like, if you were to, like, I don't know, useumberto echoes, you are a fascism framework for this. It checks boxes for sure. I would just say that, like maybe the way I think the better way to frame this is for for Alex Carp's thinking is like a Cold War style liberal.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what I mean? You expand on it.
Speaker 2: Well, so, yeah, go on, I think I might know what you made.
Speaker 4: But because he's essentially saying the tech industry needs to become the new defense sector and we.
Speaker 2: Have great enemies, right, you know what I mean? I think that there is very serious concerns. I'm not saying it's good or better. It's just you know, when you think of like what.
Speaker 4: Fascism is and what he's working for, I just think that if you're interested in having a clear out understanding of what he's saying so you can take it down better, it's I think that's maybe a little bit better of a framework, is all.
Speaker 1: I mean. I think you're right. I think it's in this as well. Later on he talks about explicitly how the previous era is ending, the post atomic era is ending, and how this is like the new AI era, and of course he wants to be on the ground floor of that. He wants to have that control on that level with him and his buddies.
Speaker 2: All right, So number four, the limits of soft power of soaring rhetoric alone have been exposed. The ability of free and democratic societies to prevail requires something more than moral appeal. It requires hard power. And hard power in this century will be built on software. Very self serving. Yeah, just like, ah, you know something's not working. But this other thing that I make, what do you think what that one is? Just like, yeah, that one is built to be into that. It reminds me of every college philosophy student I've ever made, where they say things that are built to kind of tweak your brain and go, damn, that guy's smart when you actually think about them. Don't mean a single fucking thing. What do you mean soft power? Because if the argument was falling into the trap here, if the argument was that the korum alone doesn't work, yeah, that's true if your thing is just someone will obey the rules always. Yeah, Trump has proven that isn't the case of just ignore it. I don't think that's what he means. I think what he's saying is that saying you have guns isn't enough. You need evil salesforce Like that's that really doesn't feel to be And yeah, I don't know. I just I read this sentence. I'm like, this guy's fucking stupid.
Speaker 1: It's like. The interesting thing about this too, is because most people generally don't like palant here and they never say what the company itself is. If you read this and don't quite know what this is, it makes it sound like they're like a weapons manufacturer, Like the way they're talking about like hard power, this will be the hard power that we need to rule the next century. And it's like, I mean, obviously they work with the CIA, they work with Israel. They do have these connections in these very hard power states where they are just very fine with triple tapping children's elementary schools in Iran, and they're like, eh, I mean ethics, who I don't know about that? Like who cares? We shouldn't care about that. That's that's weak thinking, that's soft thinking. So I think that's like a part of it there too. But it's also like no one knows what this is, like no one, no one knows this, this isn't I think on a level they're sort of drinking their own kool aid in a sense of just like how much of this will be like the next atomic era. I do think a lot of this is dangerous, especially with propaganda, you know, like the amount of propaganda you can do just like blast out with AI generally or some of this stuff. But I think they're I mean he's trying to huff. He's trying to get everyone to huff his own glue at the same time.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you'd mentioned the AI weapons thing, because the next one, number five is the question is not whether AI weapons will be built, it's who will build them and for what purpose. Our adversaries will not pause to indulge in theatrical debates about the merits of developing technologies with critical military and national security applications. They will proceed. So what's great about this is we do know who's building them Anderill, we do know how that's going poorly, badly enough that ANDREL had to pull out of Ukraine. Sorry, I mean they were kicked out.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: And also, yeah, numerous government agencies water journal support. There's also they lose billions of dollars. But that's cool. I guess it's just like it's like, it's not a question whether AI weapons. Yeah, they're being built already. That happened already, And it's nothing to do with generative AI. It's nothing to do with large language models. If he had the large language model trying and control something, it wouldn't move because they can't do it. It would be a fucking huge pain in the ass. But let's move on to number six. National service should be a universal duty. We should as a society seriously consider moving away from an all volunteer force and only fight the next war if everyone shares in the risk and cost. Dude, what are you fucking talking? We do sharing the costs. Also, also we do share in the cost we pay taxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's even dude, I think it's even sinister. Though, I think he's talking about the Israeli IDF conscription system. He wants everyone I think that's what he's saying here to be involved in the military or or like auxiliary to it in the way that Israel is because like you know how it is whenever you talk about like I keep bringing up Israel because I think I think a lot of this At least when I read this, I'm like, oh my god, this is like Israeli playbook on so many different levels here, especially this one where it's like everyone is involved in the war crimes. So like, if you talk to any person from Israel, most of the time they'll be like, well, my family was on the idea. If you can't hate all of the idea, if you can't hate all Israelis, but they were all in the IDF. It's like, that's sort of I think the buy in that he wants the country to have. This is the point. I think a lot of this was really bad when I was first reading this, but I got the point six and I was like, Okay, a palanteer is sort of like they should be viewed as an enemy of modern society. They want us to go to like a wartime economy. They want us to like move towards this idea that every like war time is normal and it should be good because it benefits their bottom line.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing I've read a decent amount of people, decent amount of people that's saying that Silicon Valley's trying to jump into defense because they're running out of shit to sell. Yeah, Google just signed a deal with I think some part I think there's some part of the government maybe I need to look of at CBP have it. But like they just signed a secretive deal and five hundred people signed a petition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, we're not in the business of surveillance. And it's like, bitch, what do you think this is.
Speaker 2: Other than other than every Google ad product.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're fine with that. Surveillance, but okay, surveillance.
Speaker 2: Number seven is a classic. If a US marine asks for a better rifle, we should build it, Which is really funny if you know a single thing about the government's relationship with gun companies, considering that, I forget that there was a specific gun built for the military that just did not work out, Like that's happened many times before. Yeah, yeah, it's like, but also, we should try as a company. Sorry, we should try as a country. We should, as a country, Jesus Christ, be capable of continuing a debate about the appropriateness of military action abroad while remaining unflinching in our commitment to those we have asked a step into harm's way. Sure, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's so sucking there. He's like, yeah, we'll do better. We'll be just like the military.
Speaker 2: Public Number right, Public servants need to need not be our priests. Any business that compensated his employees in the way that the federal government compensates public service servants would struggle to survive.
Speaker 1: All right, what do you mean? My My interpretation here is, do you remember when Elon Musk bought Twitter? And it was this sort of pandemonium, and he was like, you guys have to work for twelve hours, you have to sleep here. If you don't do these things, we're laying you off. This is like, this is this is going to be hard, actual real work. Like no more sitting around on bouncy balls anymore. No no bouncing on those bounty balls in the office anymore. This is like, this is what you do to get Really, it's like basically what he's think. I think what he's trying to say is that's just going to be the norm. That should be the norm, and maybe tech companies, but more broadly that that should be like the line of thinking for people that own companies at the top. This should be the like top down approach to run a company efficiently.
Speaker 2: But I think he might also be saying that public servants are on the page, which I kind of agree with.
Speaker 1: I see. I think he's as long.
Speaker 2: As you're not in Congress and have stocks, in which case you'll overcome and sate.
Speaker 1: I think he's sort of low key shitting on the government as a whole here.
Speaker 2: He's doing that.
Speaker 4: He's also targeting academia. He talks about his since like the I think his like schism from a lot of things comes from like the campus protests at post October seventh, and he has since I mean, if you listen, don't but if you do listen to that Barry Wise conversation, you know, he talks about, you know, this a lot to the you know, a bunch of farm animal sounds from the crowd because.
Speaker 2: About how like, you know.
Speaker 4: We can't college He's basically his, oh well, you can't have like queer interpretive dance therapy classes if the government is going to pay for it. And you know, these college professors are trying to you know, if we're giving them public funds, we have to kind of hold them to a different standard and stuff like that too. So I think it definitely applies to bureaucrats. But just it's important to remember that he hates he's he hates woke college campuses or whatever.
Speaker 1: I knew he was like sort of nominally pro Israel. I mean, they've palunteers worked with Israel for so I knew that, but dreams I didn't realize he made such an explicit turn from like sort of I guess it sounds like a liberal Zionism to a very hard line, sort of far right type Zionism in the last couple of years. I was not aware of that shift of his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I support Irish Zionism.
Speaker 1: From colnor Melly, I started, Uh, don't worry. I started doing my own blanket tours a couple of weeks ago. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: Okay, So moving on, non beniine, non benine. We should show far more grace towards those who have subjected themselves to public life. The eradication of any space for forgiveness, a jettisoning of any tolerance for the complexities and contradictions of the human psyche, may leave us with the cast of characters of the helm we will grow to regret. Just to be clear, last year, Alex carp suggested that analysts that disagree with Palante should be sprayed with ventanal laced urine from drones. It's just the same guys.
Speaker 1: So hard. It's so hard with cancel culture, you know, it's really.
Speaker 2: With these big, fucking tough guys who've got some tough some strong and big and tough. Don't put my feetlings, don't mean to me, Okay, have some forgiveness, you piece of fucking shit.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really hard on us when you press the button Neckells one hundred and eighty school children. Have you thought about us? Have you really just thought about that when you criticize us for doing that, how that makes us feel?
Speaker 2: Have you thought about the fact that I'm worth so much money, and I make money constantly. The things I make money for kill people. And I go out and I say noxious, horrible things all the time, and the people that I powder around with are horrible too, and they say equally noxious, if not more noxious things. And I'm disgusting and mean and cruel. In everything I do and say. I encourage people to act in the same way. Have you considered for a second that if you were not mean to me, things would be better.
Speaker 1: It drives me crazy how all of these people are are simultaneously tough guys but the whiniest, the biggest babies of all time. I shot someone online talked about like, yeah, wow. Ever since Trump became elected, I've noticed that like all of a sudden, all of a sudden, right wingers whine a lot, and it's like, motherfucker, They've always been like this, like this is their They're they're operating like, this is how they operate. This is what they do. They whine. They whine until they get what they want. They whine about getting what they want.
Speaker 2: I forget was I think it's Caleb Pitts. Maybe he has a great stand up comedy thing where he's walking around he bold guy, and he has eight shit tattooed in his head and he looks like the camera goes, guess who just got it kicked out of a cafe for beer. Wh Yeah, I love it's just that every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that this one and into the next point to are kind of connected in that kind of harbromous sense of like you have to be able to like discourse, you have to be able to debate and fight on the forms of people that you disagree with, and like if you cancel your opponents, you'll have no one left to argue with, right, And that argument is I'm not I'm joking a little bit, but that is like essentral to his like core idological belief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's amazing how many people like get Twitter psychosists and bring it out into like everything they do in real life. It's it's astounding.
Speaker 2: So point number ten as we've hitted. The psychologization of modern politics is leading us astray. Those who look to the political arena to nourish their soul and sense of self, who rely too heavily on their internal life finding expression in people they have never met, will be left disappointed. M Well, well, I mean I gave him that one, but also I'm not sure he realizes the actual problem.
Speaker 1: When I when I read this, Have you guys seen this new phrase that's been that's Elon Musk helped blow up in the last year or so, the suicidal empathy thing? Have you had? You guys? See? It's basically this concept where that if you care too much about other people, you will always like like. The way it's traditionally used is like, oh, you care about Palestinian people, you think that they should have rights, But have you thought about white people like You're you're sacrificing white people for like thinking about like trans rights. Trans rights are taking so much away from like sis people. It's basically the concept of if you care so much about other people, you will shrink the majority white like rights. Essentially a completely.
Speaker 2: I think not people who have too much and the people who have to it or would have similar amounts of stuff. Whoa whoa, whoa whoa whoa?
Speaker 1: What if I want adjacent to like white supremacy and like the great replacement theory, it's like super adjacent to all that type of ship. But I just can't help but think of this. It's like, you know, I think, Caleb, your one hundred percent right, it's adjacent to number nine in that in that same way that you were atligning before. But I also think it's it's sort of this thing where it's like we can't really care about people too much. We really can't care about the consequences that might hurt, like I don't know, gay people or whoever. Like that's like sort of that's that's missing the forest for the trees for them is like what they're thinking.
Speaker 2: Eleven point eleven is our society has grown too eager to hasten and is often gleeful at the demise of its enemies.
Speaker 1: Exactly all of these are yeah of.
Speaker 2: An opponent is a moment to pause, not rejoice. Well, have you talked to your customers about this? You have you? Have you done a little bit of customer experience work? Alex not sure customers would agree. It's also just like very funny, because this is someone who loves his enemy is suffering. He loves, he takes glee in the suffering of those he disagrees with.
Speaker 4: In that saying Berry Weiss interview, he I think the term that he used when I may be wrong, but no one's gonna listen is to correct me anyway, sat Safe. He said something along the lines of like America should take pride when it uses force because we're a just nation or something.
Speaker 2: Oh my God, Jesus Christ. Okay, I feel like that word pride probably not something that come out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: M it's also just wild, especially this year, as recent as of like three months ago. And and I think the reason for this is he doesn't view these people like as enemies, even though you know the way that ICE. I'm talking about the way that ICE uses Pallenteer to like find find people to depart, scans regions, and I think they use like some face scanning system in their database. ICE has as well where it's like people are so gleeful whenever people get departed, they're fucking over the moon. They post about it. The government accounts on social media post like epic Aura gen Z brain rot edits about about depicts so embarrassing, but agree, but I think to finish this thought, they don't see that as like demise of enemies. That is not what I think they think.
Speaker 4: But go on, Sorry, yeah, yeah, you're you're You're totally fine. I'm not saying I agree with Kart, but specifically about Ice, his point was, you know, if you are somebody who's concerned with this, you would want volunteer did to succeed, because then that means we only deport people who deserve it, who have done cross.
Speaker 1: I mean, fuck it.
Speaker 4: So again, I'm just saying I'm not saying I agree that. What I am saying is it matters because he does believe he's high on his own supply.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think you're so right. I always go back and forth on whether these tech people truly believe the things that they say. I think Elon Musk probably on most degrees does. I think he bullshits a lot. But I think I think you're right. I think just in this recording, I think you've completely convinced me that Alex Karp absolutely there are.
Speaker 4: Some elements of cynicism to this, but most of this I think he does believe, and I would SA, I would agree with you on Elon when he's talking about how like empathy is a bug or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm not a psychologist and I'm not even trying to do that smart. But he has this kind of like an attachment style because of his abusive father that I think necessitates that he sort of intellectualized or abstracts concepts like empathy to such a degree that he would say, you know, I have empathy from mankind, but not on the individual, and it's a societal bug, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a weakness, a sign of weakness, yeah, empathy.
Speaker 4: Correct, because because he can't, he can't negotiate with or engage with with empathy like a person who hasn't experienced abuse from a terrible father could, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't feel like Elon believes in anything. I genuinely think that he always I think the oh. I think he has deep seated racism, I truly, and he's a sexist, absolutely, But I don't think he's sitting there and is like could explain all sorts of deep sincere thoughts. I think it's whatever would get him what he wanted. If there was a Democrat and power giving him everything he wanted. He would be the word Well I mean I said democrat, uh political, Yeah, there we go. No, And it's just it's just I've watched this this guy for years and just he used to be an epic bacon science guy. Yeah, he was an epic bacon science guy. And he's he's now just like he sits online with too much maybeing like I, well, yes, yes, horses, he had fifty two. I agree, there's time for the great cleansing. It's just and even with this list, it's like Alex carp you run a software company. Mate, You're not president, You're not even a politician. You got like you didn't get into racism school, Like I like what, like who gives a fuck what you think? You make? Evil sales force? Like so, okay, numbers.
Speaker 1: Is maybe a better question for the end. But I've I've just been thinking why we're only halfway through, but like, why did they post this? Like it's a like they're trying to make like.
Speaker 2: From the I can actually tell you so from a client perspective, this is some ship that you're sent at five in the morning on a Sunday or a Saturday, like a Sunday morning. You get this and the client's like, I'm gonna put this up on Monday. We'll put this, We'll put that Soday, April eighteenth. This is posted. Let's see what day this was. Okay, oh fuck yeah. This is posted on a Saturday surday on a Friday. So yeah, some poor PR person got a fuck it an email Friday at like seven pm, eight pm and he's at he's like with his wife and kids, trying to eat dinner. He's like, I'm going to post this tomorrow. I'm going to post this. It was posted at eleven forty five am. Okay, So so okay, so you're talking like it was like eight forty five am Eastern Pacific. Anyway, putting all that aside, so this was just I'm going to post this tomorrow. And the guy was probably like, well, Alex, it's not got any formatting or numbers. It's just a block of text. We should at least put it in a numbered list. Go well, okay, okay, I need to post this now, post it tomorrow. And it was probably the thought was, Okay, this guy on a Saturday, I can convince it. Yeah, you should post it. Immediately on the Saturday, so everyone missed it. Except the problem is is there. Everyone saw it because it's the fucking pound to account. But it's just no, this is a this is client's gone wild. This is client. Client has an idea that they are one hundred. You could client sends you something like this, You could not talk them away from it. You put a gun to their head, they'll they'll say, kill me.
Speaker 1: Isn't this just a summary of the main points of Alex Herp's book that came out like a year ago, like thee Yeah, this is a summary. This is a summary of one of his books. Essentially realized we had a fucking book. Oh he did?
Speaker 2: He Power Soft Belief and.
Speaker 1: It's do you know who that guy is? Caleb? Have you ever looked into the Nicholas is a misker?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's there like a legal con He's the lawyer.
Speaker 1: Damn fucking lawyer.
Speaker 2: Honestly, if I was if I worked at Palantinero, I was thinking who should co write this? I would say a lawyer. I'd be like, yeah, yeah, yeah, you should have a lawyer read every word, just in case, especially every fourteenth word. If you know what I mean, but okay, we move on number twelve. The atomic age is ending once an age of the Terrance. The atomic age once one age of the Terrance Comma. The atomic age Comma is ending Comma, and a new era of the Terrance built on AI is set to begin. No, it is not just no, no, it's not what are you talking about? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: The chat bart Because if we're talking about AI powered databases, if we're talking about like databases of people pre crime and that we have fucking compass since the eighties. We have had algorithms for pre crime. Since the eighties, we have had the fucking promise software was the underlying thing with back nor stories weld like it's a crazy story. You should look at the promise software. You're going to see it will ruin your life. Are you fucking I have a hobby. For the rest of them, it'll fuck you up big time. Big up to my girlfriend for telling me on that one that what like we have had this already, Like, if we're talking about AI pre crime surveillance, we've had this already. What are we talking about? But because AIS, then you bing bong that everyone must jerk off. It's like Okay, yeah, well now it's that you know what, that's a classic client point as well. That is actually it's like we need to get this is really good point. Yeah, we should add AI at the end. What do you mean what do you mean AI? I'm not really sure how that What does the AI deter how does it? What's it deterrigan? Like it is the idea that we'll be able to generate more nudes, like but the Chinese already.
Speaker 4: Seen about undetectable deep fakes of Kim Jong. What's the what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Like this will be generate epic bacon memes of our adversaries.
Speaker 4: Just this, timing wise, was not that far after when you remember you guys, remember this. This is a really small blip on the radar, but it's stuck with me. Was when they when r FK was like, oh, the Department of Health or whatever, we're releasing our own like health AI, bod do you remember that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I missed that.
Speaker 4: The first thing I did on there, I was like, I asked it what kind of rocks are the most nutritious to eat?
Speaker 2: Smiley face, and it gave me a list of rock.
Speaker 1: The age of a Come on, No I think I think this, Yeah, this gives the game away that they're like, actually, can we have the spotlight now please? Like it's like if we get the spotlight, we'll survive as companies. Like just keep funneling us all of this money. Keep keep keep shoving it over, keep price high. Yeah, like we need that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep keep His next point is the funniest. No other country in the history of the world has advanced progressive values more than this one. The United States is far from perfect, but it is easy to forget how much more opportunity exists in this country for those who are not hereditary elites than in any other nation on the planet.
Speaker 1: God damn dude. I guess if you're maybe talking about Russia currently, maybe, like if that's the only other country in the world.
Speaker 4: Sure, he defines progressive values in this statement as like non hereditary elites becoming CEOs.
Speaker 2: That's not what most people will define.
Speaker 1: As like a progressive value, right, definitely.
Speaker 2: It just that kind of gives away the game all So, just like, what does he mean based on like the history of America, I wouldn't say, like, I think it was more defined as a battle against progressive values in some cases history of Portland. For example, look into the Portland Police Department. Oh, I don't know, look at the current police department of pretty much every city.
Speaker 1: And I mean just the police department. Just the government actively currently trying to erase history of like like black history, like LGBTQ history, like a racing out off of monuments and taking like taking away monuments in some cases, they're racing school systems, and like, I don't think it's true, Like like I don't, Yeah, it's just not necessarily true. Like we are still a lot of people love to be like wow, like we like whenever whenever you talk about like Palestine, it's like, oh, well you're you're gay and you support Palestine, they'd throw you off roofs. False. First of all. Second of all, it was illegal you could not gay Mary in this country until ten years ago. It's like, yeah, like like what are we talking about? People were killed for being gay on the streets thirty years ago in this country, Like what are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: Like police force arresting people of color arbitrarily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like we are sure, Like I'll I guess I'll hand it to him. We are far from perfect, but I think we're further from perfect than we've done progressives.
Speaker 2: But we also seem to be trying to undo those Anyway, Don't worry, We've got another really smart port coming up. Number fourteen. American power has made possible and extraordinarily long piece, so too many have forgotten or perhaps taken for granted. And nearly a century if some version of pieces prevailed in the world without a great power military conflict, what the piece? Peace for who? Peace for who? Yeahs. Billions of people and their children and now grandchildren have never known a world war.
Speaker 1: Literally, those are the only wars that have happened in the last hundred years. There's like a there's a trillion of them. We've since we've started. The United States alone have started what like ten twelve thirteen wars since World War Two. We've killed so many people, a million people, like a minimum a million people in Jakarta. Like the amount of terror we have reigned on the world. It's like, sure, it's not war for us, it's not war on our territory, it's not war on our ground, but it is war. It is devastation, it is terrorism across It's perpetual.
Speaker 2: There's been war everywhere yeah, if you're a fucking ignorant monster, if you want to pretend that like America has been in a war the whole time is yeah, anyway, here's another great paper.
Speaker 1: There's also different countries also doing wars, like I don't know, like there is not long piece.
Speaker 2: Yes, don't man none, you know, what's the little hourist over there? And anyway? Number fifteen post war, the post war neutering of Germany and Japan must be undone. The defanging of Germany was an overcorrection for which Europe is now paying a heavy price. A similar and highly theatrical commitment to Japanese pacifism will, if maintained, also threatened to shift the bounce of par in Asia. What are you talking about? What are you talking about? What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I like this idea that if Japan could have a military, they're they're problems, they're they're like everything that's going wrong in Japan right now would be fine.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, it's a it's a it's a counterbalance to China, is what he's getting at.
Speaker 1: I do, I do agree with that, but I just don't understand what a military of the size of Japan could do to like at this point, especially like even just giving him like let's say today they could, you know, build up a military. What what are they gonna like, how is that going to change the current situation. I think it's just like the word over correction to it, I think is very telling. It's like, Okay, you don't really have It's interesting Germany, it came from a progress yeah, Germany. I think it's interesting that you have laid out that he's sort of come from like a more left leaning sort of history, because this is not something I would imagine someone and again he changed more recently, but like Germany and Japan especially, it's like I feel like everyone knows why they cannot have military. What happened Alex, Yeah, what happened in the forties.
Speaker 4: Well, I can't speak to Japan, despite you know, the obvious kind of surface level that's a kind of alist to China. Think in his you know, his history and I don't know if the book, I haven't finished the book yet, I'm still reading it. But in his life, he did go to Germany, and I think he moved for school in is the eighties or early nineties when he was studying there, and a lot of his politics and his the things that he believed in are a sort of direct confrontation of like post war Germany and the things that he saw in that society is very interesting and just I think that he saw he really and this is a Harbromus thing too, of like what kind of national identity should Germans have in the wake of this, you know, existential death of humanity That informs karp thinking quite a bit. And when you think about his whole idea is like aggression is social cohesion. It starts to make sense when he says, well, maybe Germany should be allowed to have a military. It's kind of to be clear, I don't He's not a Nazi, He's Jewish, but it's still very kind of fucking crazy to think about this, and especially when you think about how openly he engages with fascist and Nazi ideals, you know, again from the point of argument as a reasoning tool.
Speaker 1: But still it's like, I mean, I think we're gonna get up to a point fairly soon. Sort of related to this in that way, but like, I think it's interesting that a lot of tech people in the United States and then in like the last couple of years have started doing this thing where it's like we unapologetically do this, we unapologetically believe this. Like they're like there's like this shamed like where they like, you cannot have shame for anything you ever do, you cannot be introspective like Mark Andresen he was talking about, like, oh, you know, it's like it's so it's it's it's a weakness to have introspection. I think that sort of linked to that, that way where it's like we can't apologize for like actions or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, it's isn't that Roger Stone thing as well, like never apologize that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, Yeah yeah, it probably came from him, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't have ideas, But let's go on to one of the other ones they claim to have. Number sixteen. We should applaud those who attempt to build where the market has failed to act. The culture almost snickers that musks interest in grand narrative, as if billionaires or to simply stay in their line if enriching themselves. Any curiosity or genuine interest in the value of what he has created is essentially dismissed. Perhaps looks from beneath then leave veiled scorn that would suggest he's created.
Speaker 4: Something now and I'm not an expert in this field. Maybe this is a question for you. But wasn't Elon Musk forced to purchase Twitter because he made an epic meme?
Speaker 2: Because he made he was epic and based and said I will buy this and then when he tried to walk out, they were like, no, you agreed to buy this fucking website. Shit, give us the money interest, doctor carp excuse me. Also, let's talk about some of the things the Elon Musk has talked about. Robots doesn't exist, Robot taxis doesn't exist. Uh, Tesla Roadstar with rockets on, it doesn't exist. Just like the reason people snicker and jeer Elon Musk is he says something will happen and then it doesn't, and then he's like, well it's it's delayed until the year of the base Tiger. It's just like and everyone just goes, okay, Well, if we had a functioning business tech media, they would stop printing what he says.
Speaker 1: My god, but they.
Speaker 2: Would just go like, oh, yeah, this guy is lying. But it's funny because this is this only ever comes from incurious dullards. It's never people who create a lot of stuff who are like, hey, Elon Musks fucking trying Okay, he's trying to create something where you sit here from the peanut gallery. It's never like artists or writers who have written meaningful shit, or like authors. It's always guys like this, executives of software companies who could be replaced with anyone, like, let's be honest, like what makes Alex Copp uniquely the person's run palenteer. There's probably eighteen different Lockheed Martin, Dargoyles or fucking former Hanwar executives who could be slotted in and we would never know the difference other than the fact that we wouldn't have to fucking hear from them all the time. Because you notice, we don't hear from fucking Lockheed Martin ceo. We don't hear from the CEO of Artix, Nay Raytheon. We don't hear from these We don't know who they are because they don't. They race you, and it's not sitting around being like what's us so well? They actually have a social strategy. It's very phonny, and they love to post like LGBTQ awareness is really fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: But I love when they're like, we're the greatest company for gay people out there. We're rated number one and.
Speaker 2: All right, but nevertheless, like you don't have RTX a CEO going around being like and here's what I think about social justice. They just they're like, we make calls, we make proms and the software behind bombs. If you need to kill someone, call RTX. We will blow them up big time. What's it going to cost? More than you think and more than we say.
Speaker 1: It's it's been really interesting Pallenteer, especially in the like in the last year sort of make this bigger presence of themselves with this manifesto and Alex Karp going on these like speaking tours, and I believe it was a New York Times page ad where it was a couple of weeks ago that was like volunteer supports Israel. They are purposey like putting themselves in the limelight and getting all of all of this attention and just wanting attention. It's it's interesting the attention economy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting too because he's been the CEO, I think, for for eighteen years and nobody had ever heard of him until recently. He's actually been quietly I would say, uh, smartly just building relationships with various governments and alphabet agencies around the world and such, and.
Speaker 2: Kind of kept to himself.
Speaker 4: And I've often thought that his proximity and relationship to academia has been able to sort of ingratiate himself with these types of people that are in these positions, and that's how he's been so successful. I don't know what it is. I'm still kind of trying to to I can explain.
Speaker 2: He saw all the attention that Elon Muscott and the pay tail Scott by saying like yeah, yeah, christ right, or like uh what if we bound woman, like whatever that's saying, and he was like, yeah, cool, I want to do this, like I want to be popular too. And also now's the time because all these people want to be statesmen SBF Sam Bank missed the bankman free he was kind of early in the He wanted to be a statesman. He wanted to be seen as like an elder statesman, and you kind of see it with Elon, except I said this with no respect to government officials. He lacks the decorum, he lacks the grace, He doesn't function or talk like a politician, and he doesn't know how to do it. They don't know how to dress as well. This is such a really small thing. But go and find the picture from the dinner with Trump and look at Elon Musk's shoes and look at the break. Oh he wore a shirt backwards when he was doing his little ex jon. But it's just like, go and look at their shoes. Look, I'm not even being the menswear guy here. Look at the brake on their pants. It's really uneven. This is something that you can solve when you have a billion dollars. You go to Savile Row in London and you go, here is my credit card. Don't worry about whatever you put on it. Just give me the perfect looking suit and they'll fucking do it. You will find Yew anyone. You can find him in New York and find him any city everywhere. You have enough money, you could probably just have him fly like they could do one in a day. They could buy the factory. He could do it. But they just don't really give a fuck. What they want to do is skip all the hard part of you know, learning and being a person and growing so they can just be famous. And they've realized that that works. You can just go out and blah blah blah, racism blah, packs Americana manifest destiny. I've learned these terms yesterday from Wikipedia and I forgot what they mean. Ah, and it's they will do that as enough time. So the problem is, the reason they seem so frantic and tired is because there's nothing behind it. They will give a shit about this. We're even on this fucking list. Oh, here we go, Here we go, Er point seventeen. Silicon Valley must play a role in addressing violent crime. Many politicians across the United States have essentially shrugged when it comes to violent crime, banning any serious efforts to address the problem or take on any risk with the constituencies or donors in coming up with solutions and experiments in what should be a desperate bid to save lives. Yes, yeah, and also also this is a person that does not believe that social services are part of that. Well, the violent crime in San Francisco comes from Ronald Reagan emptying the fucking homeless people. People that became homeless, I should say, from mental asylunce they closed wats deadly class great shot.
Speaker 1: Have you have you ever watched the Southland Tails either, Oh, yes, of course. Do you remember, like throughout the movie there's just will be points where's some like just different things will pop off and there's it'll it'll cut to military people on roofs with the machine guns and they'll just like shoot people from the roofs. Yes, that's like what he wants. He wants the machine guns on the roof with just like soldiers always watching. That's like him, That's that's that's what this point is is Sadlin Tails.
Speaker 2: That movie. Sarah Michelle Gallers in it as a porn star, and the one thing I remember is she has is in a movie called cock Chuggers to cock Chuggin. To be clear, Sara Michelle Gather amazing actress, but just like fucking hilarious. Everyone should watch Southland Tails. By the way, it is an insane movie.
Speaker 1: Panned at the time, but I think, especially these days, it is very impressient. I think very You'll be like, goddamn, people didn't like this back in the day. It's a very careful.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I can forget why people didn't like it. It is insane.
Speaker 1: It is it is insane.
Speaker 2: Scene between scene and you're like, what is happening anyway, if only his worldview was that coherum, because what he believed is that he wants to put the homeless people in the embrace of God. He wants to shoot them, he wants to jail them, which I'm sure will solve the prison population issue we have. How he feels about prisons, by the way, I don't know. He probably loves them, I'm guessing, because the solution is always more software, more jail, or more gun. It's never like more home. Because that's a really good way of dealing with homeless people. You give them a path out of transience because they have mental health issues of course, by the fact, they don't have a place to sleep or a place to go to the bathroom other than their trousers. And these people are suffering and they're hurting, and the way that people deal with them is to hurt them more versus and oh it costs a lot of money, Yeah, it does to pull someone out of hell. And if you're someone listening to this, by the way, who has a view of homeless paper where it's like, well they need to be moved away, you're a fucking ass on, a loser and a coward. Homeless people are victims of society. They are society owes them a debt, not the other way around. And the idea that someone needs to work enough for social services is a joke. Anyway, that's my little sound box there really pisses.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard to say what he believes in since his sort of schism, but I do think it's worth noting that he has talked about social services and these programs pretty extensively in the past. He just thinks that volunteers specifically will make them better for whatever.
Speaker 1: That's of course they will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that he does believe because again he has over the years described himself as various times, you know, a social something Democrat, liberal, this Neil Marxist. Whatever, he does believe in these things. I just think that he's sort of this eccentric, glamaniacal freak. This, I alone can improve these problems, like forest.
Speaker 2: Spoken of the Ninth Gate, I alone am worthy.
Speaker 1: But let's be a point. We'll fix this all right.
Speaker 2: Well, let's got a point eighteen, which is a real banger. Eighteen. The ruthless exposure of the private lives the public figures drives far too much talent away from government service, the public arena, and the shallow and petty assaults against those who dared to do something other than enrich themselves has become so unforgiving that the republic is left with a significant roster of ineffectual empty vessels whose ambition one would forgive if there were any genuine belief structure looking within. And that is exactly how that's written. He just got let that.
Speaker 1: Typo go right through.
Speaker 2: If there were any genuine belief structure. Look, I don't know. I this is about a mate of his, but this is like, don't look at the files. Yeah, this is the way to say to not do that. Yeah, don't look at the Epstein files. Don't look look whether Reid Hoffman, CEO of LinkedIn, endorsed Jeffrey Epstein, which he did. We don't know what for. I've asked. I've got a comment back. But anyway, let's move on.
Speaker 1: When I say, really quick, really quick, just that like it's so funny to say this, but also be like vir in the anti Zora and ma'm donnie. He's like Zara, Ma'm donnie. None of this, none of the things he want will ever work. He's bad he's evil, he's bad. So it's like he already like within just like one second of looking at some of his new opinions, even like a couple of days later, or like a couple of months after this or before this. Sorry, just think is hpnoprite? Yeah, kidding much much. It's just it's just it just drives me crazy. How all of this none none of these people, Like I think he does believe this stuff. But he's just so he is not self aware in any capacity to where it's like he he he says things that can directly contradict some of this manifesto.
Speaker 2: Well nineteen the caution in public life that we unwittingly encourage his corrosive. Those who say nothing wrong often say nothing much at all. So that's just about racism. That's just about saying the arsler. That's like, it's really like this. He's going to frame this as, oh, it's a philosophical debate, but it's like, no, it's it's not. It's actually it's actually just someone said the Arsler, and he wants to protect them. But we've got to keep We've let this one go a little long, so we're going to move on a little faster because number twenty is a real banger. The vasive intolerance of religious belief in certain circles must be resisted. The elites tolerant intolerance of religious belief is perhaps one of the most telling scigns that is a political project, that it's political project constitutes a less open intellectual movement than many within it would claim. I would say that there are definitely ways in which religion is pushed out. I don't think those are the ones he's talking about, though.
Speaker 1: I've found it so fascinating in the last two issues how a lot of these Silicon Valley tech people have really whether they are actually really said or not, have like outwardly embraced religion as this new thing that everyone needs to like. You're you're like a deeper person for for re embracing religion, you know, like Peter Tiel, all of these people I like. I I think it's one of the most fascinating new narratives to come out of Silicon Value is how they're all Christian, all of a sudden, and all really love God and all really think that that's more valuable than like anything else. While they talk about how we need more bombs to kill people.
Speaker 4: They've seen the value of appealing to people who already have like precluding to dogma baked in right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's it's super beneficial for them. You if, like I mean Russell Brand, you sexual assault you. You pick up a Bible everyone, you get a lot. By the way, just flipping through the Bible.
Speaker 2: Taste one, I think is like gym facing. Like it's just and I watched the things and all I could think of was, no American would have the balls to do this. No American journalist. I don't love Pierce Morgan, but like, no American journalists would ever have the balls to just sit there in complete silence for two minutes as Russell Brand when it is it Isaiah? Is it Isaiah? Is this the one with the wall in it? Is this the one with the angels that have sex with each other? I haven't really I use groc to read this to me, and it's just it's like, no, anyone who suddenly becomes religious is extremely suspicious, never trust anyone. In fact, I know some very spiritual, deeply religious people, people with great faith, and the way they talk about it is just completely different to anyone else who talks about It's never it's it's something for them, not for you. And the moment it becomes something outward is when I get very fucking suspicious. Absolutely all right, you guys know this, You know guys bull When I go to church every Sunday, Right, that's cool, do you really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What kind of journey now that shit?
Speaker 4: I have been going to a universalist Unitarian church, so it's like think church, but.
Speaker 2: It's nothing fake about It's what your faith is.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I am like a gnostic and I have some spiritual I think my writing is quite spiritual the process, but it's like nothing with a god or anything. I think people are dismissive of religion in some ways. But this is referring to school protests. This is this is this is this is just college campus protest. This is what he's talking about. All right, We've only got two more of these fucking things, all right? Twenty one. Some cultures have produced vital advances, others remain dysfunctional and regressive. All cultures are now equal, criticism and value judgments are forbidden. Yes, this new dogma glosses over the fact that certain cultures and indeed subcultures, have produced wonders. Others have proven middling and worse, regressive and harmful. My what are you fucking talk? I assume he means Islam, like.
Speaker 5: I just I assume he's like it's just like, yeah, it's like just those brown countries you go a little south, the darker than brown, the black countries that there is there really any wonders there?
Speaker 1: There's no wonders there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My challenge to anybody listening to this is, if anybody ever says this to you, and I've seen this framing come up quite a bit more and more increasingly, if somebody says this to you, ask them what they mean, yeah, and smile, smile on their faces.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that? And make them fucking say it?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's so obviously like rooted in that, like oh the West, Western values. It's like, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Final one twenty two. We must resist the shallow temptation of a vacant and horror pluralism. We in America and more broadly in the West, have for the past century resisted defining national cultures in the name of inclusivity, but inclusion into war. We need more racism.
Speaker 1: Racism, We need transphobia, We need a phobia we need more bigotry.
Speaker 2: That's the only way will be multicultural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, this yet again is sort of like cancel cultural bullshit. This, this is like suicidal empathy because like, oh, what like if we're tolerant of everyone, like what like, we lose so much the society. That'll lead to societalerantstruction.
Speaker 2: What if someone's intolerant of me being intolerant fucking assholes? Well, I will say, and this ends by saying, it's an excerpt from the book, so couldn't probably should have known that before going into it myself. I will say that if I was made to read this book, I would I would try and poison myself. I don't I don't want to know what these people think. But I think that this kind of this kind of proves that this is a series of incongruent points written by somebody that can't choose whether they want to be a convenient or inconvenient fascist, Like they don't want like they aren't really sure what they believe in other than the fact that someone they like is being oppressed, but the people they don't like all being impressed enough, oppressed enough.
Speaker 1: It's also like, give us more contracts, give us more money. We want a full wartime economy focused on giving AI companies more money. It's like both of those things. It's sort of this like techno fascist, sort of like give us money please. Also, we agree with you on culture war, so please give us more money for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, now that we've gone through that horrible series of points, I want to thank you both for joining. Where can we find you?
Speaker 1: You can find us at We do a show called Kill the Computer. You can find us at Killthecomputer dot com. Or just an amazing website. Yeah, b are our community. If the person that sort of like helps with our community also made the website, she's amazing she built. I think I'm biased. It's a website for our show, but I think it's one of the most like if you love like what the Internet used to be, what it could be. Obviously it's a website for a podcast, but I think it just has the spirit of what the Internet still could games on it. There's a leader board like it's fucking dope. Please. Yeah. It's a show about just, uh like how internet and culture and politics sort of intertwine and and sort of manifest in the world that we live in. Essentially, so we talk about a lot of stuff like we talked about today. We talk about one of my favorite episodes that we did so a little a little bit ago was talking about the like death capitalist economy of like uh uh brief tech, Yeah, where it's it's like the these tech companies, how they sort of prey on people grieving family members dying or or like getting to end of life and providing these different services that will sort of create fake memories.
Speaker 4: In some cases, the chat bought out of your dead grandmother and they're going to update the model and she'll start hallucinating and you can't afford it and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's very yeah. No, we we talk about all sorts of stuff like that. So please check us out.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening everyone. There'll be a monologue on Friday. You'll love it. I promise. I haven't decided what it is yet. Thank you for listening to Better Offline. I'm goddamn ed zetron. Thank you for listening to Better Offline.
Speaker 6: The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at matasowski dot com. M A T T O S O w Ski dot com. You can email me at easy at better offline dot com or visit better offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's Youreed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash Better off Line to check out our reddit.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening. Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your pot gas