Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Move the Sticks. I am Bucky Brooks and my man Mike Yam, who is sitting in for DJ. We just hosted how many hours of coverage, like almost five hours of coverage, wars of coverage, and we saw the first round and we're gonna get into everything that we saw in the first round. We're gonna talk about the quarterback sh Dr Sanders, who is on the outside looking in. Uh, but let's get into it. It's time for Hot or Not brought to you by Saby Hot Cloud Storage Yam or overall thoughts on the first round. I just got to get your take on.
Speaker 1: Okay, So can we just rewind for a second. First of all, I'm sitting in for DJ, so there's automatically I'm like, what are we doing right now? Then I find out I'm working with you, so obviously I'm excited because I get to yeah, but then it's taking another level. I'm I'm used to running point yeah, I just get out of the off the wall. We put the headsets on Bucks like, Yo, I got you. I said, oh, okay, okay, I'll step back here. This is awesome. Look, you and I were doing mock draft live on NFL Network for a few weeks. So the fact that we get this first round and we get to actually see how it plays out and unfold, there wasn't a huge surprise. I think clearly the trades. I thought it was gonna be relatively quiet. I didn't think you could be a ton of splashes, and I do think in the scope when you compare it to previous years, like there weren't really a ton of trades. But we saw aggressive moves, which I like the teams that decided to go and move up, like the Jacks, a team that you know really well because you're part of that radio broadcast. They said, look, we're gonna take a swing. We're gonna go and get Travis Hunter, and I know you love him. But then on top of that, the Giants and the Falcons ATL was a little bit of a surprise. But I love what they did because they took two big swings on the defensive side and when they've had some issues, I love that try to get some dudes that can get after the quarterback. And then the Giants, you know, I yeah, you rock.
Speaker 2: With the Giants. So let's talk about all the trades, like right off the top, the Jacksonman Jaguars moving from five to two to get Travis Hunter. The thing about the Travis Hunter pick is and talking to people in the building, they say, like the three Jews that were on their board that were really covenant, it was Travis Hunter, it was Asking Gent and then it was Ted McMillan. That was the way that they saw, like offensively, they wanted to add somebody with some splash, some bizazz to that offense for them to make the move to get Travis Hunter. One, it tells me that Liam Coin and James glaston are all in on trying to make this team better in a hurry. Two. They talked about James glastone and talked about having the intangible qualities if you get the players that the rite intangible to the culture in the locker room changes organically because you're bringing the right people in and whatever. Well, we know Travis Hunter. He is about football, he's about fishing. He is all ball, all the time, terrific player and then a unique talent as a two way player. So I'm just curious on how that's going to work for them in terms of what is the plan? But then the trades and the reason I'm gonna go to the Giants before we go to the Falcons is I'm looking at Abdull Carter at three and when they made the move to get Abdul cart I'm like, okay, well, that play to their identity when they've been at their best. The D line kind of sets the tone. We saw them knock off the Patriots twice because their D line was so dominant, like it worked. But then the question is why they can get a quarterback. If they do get a quarterback, who's going to be the quarterback? So they trade back in they get into twenty five, they get Jackson Dart and look, Jackson Dart's name has been popping up as been a first round that debt was not a question, but Jackson dark going Overshowder Sanders as the preferred pick for the Giants. That is the conversation that we'll have over the next few years.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a lot to unpack on what you just said. I want to circle back on the Giants for a moment, but I think you have this experience that I think needs to be shared here. Obviously as a scout. You've been in a lot of these draft rooms, You've done the talent evaluation. You know what these conversations are. Like, I talk to a lot of fans and they'll say, oh, first round guy, Not every team has a first round grade on all thirty two players. And I think what you just said about the Jacks is fascinating because you said, who's on the board that they really like, Like Travis Hunter was one of those guys to Max and then jenty right and whoever whatever that order is. I don't know if there's I don't know thirty one other teams that would have had it necessarily lay out like that. And the reality is, like, I just think it's really important to have and set that distinction because Teed McMillan's a great example. I hadn't heard his name as one of these eleaite players, and yet you're telling me the Jags had him.
Speaker 2: The Jacks had him right there. So it's funny, right because when it played out, and this kind of tells you about the entire process, because the way that the process started, Ted McMillan was the name that we had talked about up in the top five. Sure, the entire time when those mock drafts came out early, Ted McMillan's name was always dotted in the top ten. Then it kind of fell out, and then it was a conversation like, hey, he might not be wide receiver one because I wasn't including Travis Hunter's wide receiver one, so oh, maybe you know somebody else is there. And then law and behold, the Jaguars get their guy in Travis Hunter, asking jend comes off the board at six, and then Tied McMillan comes off the board at eight. And so when we talk about the Jaguars having their board rank like that, look, I can't say they're wrong based on the way those guys came off the board.
Speaker 1: Okay, So from a strategy standpoint, though, if you're Jacksonville and it was Travis Hunter, Gent and t mac why make the move then to go to two because presumably you would have been able to get one of those guys at five.
Speaker 2: Because they felt that strongly that Travis Hunter it was that so when I rated off those names, it would be Travis Hunter. Long pause, asked Gent, then Ted McMillan. So they felt that strongly about what Travis Hunter brings as a dynamic two way player that they wanted to get him, and it had not only had to be the talent that we saw. We saw the talent for two years of Colorado and we also saw it at Jackson State. But it's more the kid, the person, what he's bringing, how much he loves the game, all of those other things that really stood out to them. So we're doing the change over the transformation of the team. That is why they wanted him to spear hit the charge. I want to ask you, as a resident Giants fan, Abdul Carter, like, that's one thing I think you get excited about that He had posted a week or so ago the pitcher of Lawrence Taylor, So everyone kind of knew, like, oh, okay, that's cool, But I gotta get your take, man. The Giants have kind of been in the desert looking for a franchise quarterback. Jackson Dart. What's the first thing that came to mind when you heard the name associated with the Giants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was surprised. I wasn't surprised that the Giants moved back into the first round. I was surprised that it was Jackson Dart that was the name for a couple reasons. Number one, just the buzz around Shador Sanders. I do flash back to neighbors and Sanders in the streets, you know, a couple months ago, kind of playing catch, clearly being linked there, and we spent and buck you know this man, Like I spent a lot of time covering college football, and it did feel like cam Warden Shador Sanders. This was the conversation who was going to be the first overall pick? And as the draft process unfolded, I said, oh, you know, maybe we're not talking about him.
Speaker 2: You and I were.
Speaker 1: We did a couple of mock draft lives. I'm like, damn, like you guys really don't think Shador's going all this high, and yet clearly that didn't happen. The Jackson Dart angle is intriguing to me because the first thing I think about is when I used to watch Jackson Dart at USC and then you transition to Ole Miss and he's playing for Lane Kiff him and I don't always know what to make of a quarterback that's played for Lane because the reality is like it's just and I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but it's inflated numbers, you know, Like Lane's an offensive dude, and he figures out brilliantly how to get the ball into his playmaker's hands. What I love about Jackson Dart. I remember watching a lot of games this year where he's got a little oomph too, right, Like we use the term swag on our show on Draft Night, and I think that's appropriate. But there's a little moxie attitude leadership thing. And I think back to Brian Dable and more specifically, and I'm going to relate this to Giants fans or just fans in general of the NFL when you watch Hard Knocks and you see how Brian Dable is peppering the quarterbacks where they're considering who to draft, and Bron's got a little bit of that tude, a little bit of that attitude, and in a good way, right, like you can try to coach up his guys. I think Jackson Dart's going to respond really well to that. But I don't. I candidly thought there was a world that existed where the Giants and Jalen mil Row was going to be that marriage. I watched Jalen. I see those traits physically, and I see so much damn upside. And if you're telling me that Russ is going to be your week one starter, jamis is in the fold of security. There's a part of me that thinks that that Jalen mill Roll might have been a better fit. Now, once again, that wasn't the case for the Giants and Jackson Darts their guy, but they have been able to now check the box and say, we got arguably the best player in this draft in an Abdul Carter, which is going to help that defense, and we have the quarterback of the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny to kind of hear the conversation and how they finally went about it. They wanted to make sure that they got their quarterback of the future. And Jackson Dart to me was interesting because I felt like early in the process he was underrated, and then I worried about him being a little overrated. And I'm looking at this piece that I wrote. Not it didn't appear on NFL dot com, but look, I wrote about athletic gunslinger developing one or more efficient explosive playmakers of college football on a three year run at Old Miss, big play mentality, spartaner offense lit up scoreboys back to back seasons with ten wins six two, two thirty three, two twenty three all the traits that you look for quarterback deep ball proficiency, hits the strike zone, works the entire feel, and then the scheme produces easy completions. But his arm talent squeezes ball in the tight windows, velocity, touch, timing, anticipation gets it done. Has enough athleticism to pick up first downs on designed quarterback runs and scrambles. NFL coaches can feature a wide variety of schemes to maximize its talents as a QB one and at the bottom of it are approximated round value. Oh, bottom of.
Speaker 1: The first Okay, so you nailed it.
Speaker 2: So I mean, like, that's that's what I had. And so it's it's funny to see that play out. But when you read the report and then you look at the round value, he went exactly where he was supposed to go on the board.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me ask you this then, because I'm off the top of the dome, I don't think there's another team where there's as much. I hate using the term hot seat because I think, you know, these are families, people who have family, you know, and it's not just the coach, like, there's support staff, the whole thing. So you don't ever want to see anyone lose their job. The reality of the situation is franchises make changes. The thought was the Giants were going to make a move with Joe Shane or Brian Daball. That didn't happen. But Marrack comes out and says, we need to win right now. I don't know if there's another team in the NFL in this situation right like the teams that struggle, they already have their new head coaches. I don't know if there's another organization right now that says their general manager and head coach are on the hot seat like the Giants are. That's not the best way to approach the draft because you're thinking, I'm not worried about two seasons from now, and most people will tell you that's probably the case for every team, But it does feel different for this squad. Was there a different move to be made at trading in at twenty five instead and just maybe sitting tight or just going in a different direction because of the thought process that comes with having to win the season.
Speaker 2: No, you know, it's funny because I would give this heaving work with Joe Shane. We worked together in Carolina, and I know that Joe's wired the right way when it comes to building a team. And what they did in the offseason is they set themselves up where they didn't have to make a rash move at three to fit a need because they went out and signed Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston. They felt like if they had to put the ball down today, they could play with the starting quarterback and have enough talent in the quarterback room to win. That freed them up to take the best player available at three and Abdual Carter. And then when they made that move at three, I am sure as soon as they handed it in the cord, they started making sure they worked the phones to see when could we potentially get back in and if we are getting back in, what are the names that we would get back into the first round with? Because it couldn't just be Jackson Dart as the only quarterback that they would move in, because look, he could have been gone at any spot. Were they multiple names and what were those? Was it Jackson Dart, Shoulder Sanders An Tyler shut was a Jackson dor Tyler Shut. They had to be comfortable with multiple quarterbacks to be able to get back in the first round to say, hey, we're good. We gonna get our quarterback of the future at the bottom of round one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's wild to me when I think about the direction of this organization over the next couple of years. And I hate to play in the world of hypotheticals, but had some games not necessarily gone their way late in the season, they might not have picking at number three.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I hate to say it this way, but like, even if they were picking at two, I don't know. I think Abdul Carter might still have been the selection for him.
Speaker 2: Look, I think you can make a reasonable assessment or prediction that that would have been the pick. Like, Abdul Carter is a dominant player. And when I look at the ward and I look at the players that were available in this JEFT, Travis Hunderd was one for me, abduall Carter was two. They were comfortable taking either one of those guys, and they would have been fine. Abdul Carter works if it's the brand, and so like I love it now. Ultimately, both the guys have to play really well. So after Carter is the one who has the i'll say the most pressure because he's the top five pick. He has to play like that right away. You think about Cavon Tippeau, who's number five overall pick. He hasn't necessarily played like that. They need both of their top five picks to play like that because you have a level of expectation. And Jackson Dart fans will have an expectation of what the quarterback should be. But he was taking at the bottom of the first round. There should be time given and grace given to him before he becomes a starting quarterback. And look, Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston, they're there to really kind of hold it down until Jackson Dart is ready to be able to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you say that. And yet off air, while we were having conversations about the city of New York, you know, every city's not treated the same way.
Speaker 2: I did not go treat it like no man, no, like when Jackson Dart was drafted in the first round. Away we go, poor Tommy Cutlets.
Speaker 3: It's like he anywhere, But like Jackson Dart, the clock is on, like now, all the kind conversation through our training camp is gonna be when Jackson are gonna be ready to play, And so Russell and Jameis Winston have to give the coaching staff and the fans enough to kind of stay them off, like, no, we have a plan, we have a plan for him.
Speaker 2: But here's the tricky thing, Cam Brian day Ball and Joe Shane win enough to get to the other side where they can see Jackson dark next year as the starting quarterback. They have to win enough games to kind of keep everyone at bay to be able to do it unless the ownership is saying no, no, no, you good you got this year regards of the record, then we get it next year. But I don't know of New York having enough patience to sit through another disappointing year from the Giants. No.
Speaker 1: I mean, you think about all that media and the lens that's there, and look, that's home for me. I grew up there. So you're talking about two all sports stations, two regional sports television networks. It is all eyes on this squad. And taking a step further here, the Jets don't have Aaron Rodgers anymore, so that story is now gone. They're punting on that the Justin Field could be.
Speaker 2: A great doesn't have as much noise as the Giant Little. Let's be honest, the Giants. The Giants owned the Apple like they're the stable the franchise there. I mean, they're a squad. So everyone is going to look to them now, just like everyone looks to the Giants. I'm looking at the rest of the top ten. Will Cambell goes forward to the Patriots, Mason Graham Cleveland at five, asking genty to the Raiders at six. I'm on Membo to the Justin seven, Ted McMillan at eight, Kelvin Banks Junior to the Saints at nine, and then Coaston Loveland at ten. Of the picks, and I'll let you go after me. Sure, number six asking genty to the Raiders was the one that stood out. And to sit out because we know Pete Carroll. You were on the West Coast and Peek Carroll was doing his thing. He's always had running backs when his programs have operated at their best. And go back to like sc Lindelle White and Reggie Bush, Seattle Sea Yawks. It was about Marshawn Lynch. You just had to know that the Raiders under Pete Carroll. They're going to have a blue chip running back, so I knew that was coming, but it still stood out that they were able to get them totally.
Speaker 1: And I say this because you know how excited I was. This is my first year having a vote Genty. It was hard for me not to pick Ashon Genty as the leader. And when you do the rankings, it's one, two, and three, and you know, for me, it ended up being obviously Travis Hunter because of the special nature. But Genty, the numbers alone speak for themselves the impact that he had. We were doing our draft show with Lancer Aline, who talked about a week offensive line and yet still you know, historic type numbers from Genty. You know, for me, Carolina at eight, I talked to a buddy of mine who's around that team a whole lot, and I said, hey, what direction do they go? Because I felt like there was going to be a team that looked at the eighth position and said, that's the trade spot. I want to get ahead of it. I want to get ahead of what the New Orleans Saints might do at number nine, which clearly wasn't the case because they took Kelvin Banks. I thought maybe the Steelers might be one of those teams that didn't happen, And I asked him to say, hey, what direction he goes. Look, there's some needs that are here, but I would be if there's not another piece around Bryce Young because the reclamation process that we saw even in one year for Bryce was pretty pretty spectacular. And look, they drafted Lagette that's been okay for them. I don't know. I think it became abundantly clear it was going to be wide receiver. We just didn't know which one it was. And the fact that it was an explosive guy like t Mac who once again was terrific playing at Arizona not a huge surprise for me.
Speaker 2: Picks eleven to twenty Mikhael Williams to San Francisco forty nine Ers, Tyler Booker Dallas Cowboys, Kenneth Grant Miami Dolphins, Tyler Warren Indianapolis goes, Jalen Walker Atlanta Falcons, walked to Nolan Arizona Cardon, Shamar Stewart Cincinnati Bengals, Great Zabels, Seattle Seahawks, A Mecca Abuka nineteen to the Den Bay Buccaneers, and then Jedi Baron going to the Denver Broncos. When I look at that list, the one that stands out to me in terms of the best pick, best fit Tyler Booker going to the Dallas Cowboys. The Dallas Cowboys the offensive line. They lose Zach Martin last couple of years. They're trying to kind of piecemeal this offensive line, kind of get it back and going. They've really invested in that, and to me, Taler Booker is the final piece of the puzzle on the offensive line. Replacing a legend in Zach Martin is going to be tough. But when we think about what this team wants to be under Brian Schottenheimer, a rough and rugged, a physical team that can run the football, Tyler Booker fits the bill. I mean he moves people off the ball. He is physical, he's nasty, he's a tempo center, and I just think he fits in with how they want to play. I would expect them to be a very physical team at the point of attack, and that's going to not only help them find their running game, it's going to take a lot of pressure off Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: No more excuses for the Dallas Cowboys. Three concut Like, look at this offensive line, man we every single year, Buck, and you and I do enough shows together on NFL Network where I go what's going on with this Dallas Cowboys team? And we both know when they were rocking in the nineties, it wasn't just because of Emmett Smith and IRV and Troy Aikman. You look at those bad boys up front and allowing a guy like eMTA to do the damage that he's done. We have talked about the issues that they've had on offensive line for a few seasons now, Tyler Geiton, Tyler Smith, now Tyler Booker. It's three consecutive years of three first round offensive linemen. No more excuses. This has got to be the year for this team to thrive. And I wasn't surprised that they went there. I thought it could be running back. In fact, I thought Hampton could be the guy, the player that I know you kept close eyes on because of your North Carolina ties. There the only other team that I would throw and maybe Sandwich this year. Jaalen Walker, who would land of Falcons at fifteen. I thought was a spectacular pick because it's a really good player and a position of need for it. And they obviously double down, which we can talk about coming up in just a couple minutes. But Tampa Bay, I loved your assessment of Abuka because I don't know what you do in that wide receiver room, but you highlight this, you know pretty well. Got another year for Mike Evans and then who kind of knows what happens, But it's an embarrassment of riches in that wide receiver room.
Speaker 2: Embarrassment of riches. And this is Jason Light and Toy Bowles making sure that Baker Mayfield has what he needs to be successful. A Mecca Buka coming in being the number three receiver alongside Chris Godwin and Mike Evans. I mean, just a big, physical wide receiver room and for an undersized quarterback, it expands the strike zone. It makes it easy, but it also creates a succession plan in case Mike Evan moves on after this year and if he stays man, who I mean, who better to learn from than a guy who's been a perennial pro bowler, another guy who's an outstanding playmaker and Chris gott I just think it makes so much sense. And when I look at him, Mecca book, he's a pro man. He is a pro you see it. He is polished, he's seasoned, he has it. To me, it's just a nice fit for what they want offensively to do and how they want to do it. And then twentieth pig Ver Bronco's taking Jedi Baron. We talked about running back, I mean, Sean Bayton talked about running backs that we all were kind of waiting for the running back to go, but them taking look Man one of the best defensive players that we've seen in the class and arguably, like people say, like the best corner because he can do so much jim Thorpe, w Wardwick, versatile instincts, awareness, toughness. I just like putting him beside Pat Sortan and being able to do so many things in a secondary.
Speaker 1: On your way, Yeah, I'd love to know how scouts front offices look at FCS players on the offensive line. And I bring this up because Gray is Able goes to Seattle at eighteen North Dakota State kid, you and I were getting together for the East West Shrine. Bul I told the story Timpolasek, who's got that offensive line mentality? I mean, the guy must have dropped more fbombs in a Fifthe conversation when I was when I was asking him about his quarterback than anything, but he wanted to talk about oh Li. Told me a lot about Zabel and why he was going to be a next level player. I do think a little bit about Trevor Penning as another one that maybe hasn't lived up to the hype. How do you go to the mat on a guy that you've scouted when it's not power for football, it's not the SEC. And yet clearly that didn't scare Seattle.
Speaker 2: It didn't. And it's funny because John Snyder, look, he learned under Ron Wolf. Ron Wolf, Hall of fame executive Green Bay Packers longtime general manager, and Ron Wolf was not a small school fan. He wanted to see guys come from big schools because guys with big schools and winning predigrees understand what it's like and they're more likely to transition very quickly into the National Football League. But when you do take a small school standard And I remember having this conversation with Ron I called him and it was when I was scouting Vincent Jackson who was at Northern Colorado, and I asked him what did he see from Terall Lawns when Tera Lawns was at UT Chattanooga, he said, when you're looking at small school standouts, do they dominate their level of competition? And when they have opportunities to play or level up, how do they perform? The thing that probably convinced the Seattle Seahawks on Gray Zabel his performance at the Seniu Bowl. On top of his tape at North Dakota State, he held his own and dominated the time in the singable, which gave them confidence that it may take some time, but he has the stuff to be able to be a successful pro at the level.
Speaker 1: Is there a position group that you guys would consider at an FCS level that was maybe stronger because once again it's a big boy up front versus and you just name name checked a couple wide receivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I mean look, I think it comes down to the same thing, like how do they play when they have to play against the competition that they will see at the NFL level? Can you see him at an All Star game? When they are at an All Star game, do they hold it on? Do they look out of place? If they don't look out of place, well, man, how competitive are they with some of the best of the best and the thing that you saw in the tape on Gray Zabel at the game, he not only held his own but he won plenty of reps against top competition, which made it a figure. When you take someone in the middle of the first round for almost small school, you're saying, oh, no, no, this guy's gonna come in and play play right well, play well right away, and his position flexibility gives you a few options in terms of trying to put him in a place where he can be most successful that should help him succeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm with you there. And once again, I just think it's fascinating a remade Seattle team when you consider Sam Darnold is now in the fold a wide receiver room that looks like a shellman nothing, it's essentially brand new, and yet with their first pick in round number one, it's an FCS player.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, it's very interesting. But you know what also was interesting The Pittsburgh stale is at twenty one, taking Derek Harmon, Amario Hampton going twenty two to the La Charges, Matthew Golden going to the Packers at twenty three, Donovan Jackson to the Minnesota Vikings Giants, taking Jackson Dart Atlanta Falcon has taken James Fears Junior at twenty six, Malachi Stark's going twenty seven to the Ravens, Tyler Williams coming off the board at twenty eight to the Detroit Lions, Josh Connelly twenty nine to the Commander's, max Or Harriston going to the Buffalo Bills at thirty and then we're finished off. John Campbell going to the Eagles at thirty one, and Josh Simmons at thirty two to the Kansite Chiefs. And I'm gonna say this because I had a little egg on my face. Matthew Gold and breaking the streak. The Green Bay Packers took a wide receiver twenty three overall, first time since two thousand and two that they have taken a wide receiver in the first round. You already had the end deal, you baiting me into it, so right there and look he goes. I am surprised, but then I'm not only because when you paid Jordan Love the kind of money that they paid him, you want to make sure that he has success. Josh Jacobs said, man, we need a number one receiver. We need a guy, and for your starting running back. We ran for over thirteen hundred yards to say that we need a number one receiver. It means that he feels the impact of not having that. Either the box is clouded, the offense doesn't go. It's just a little different. He needs more room and he know what and number one receiver would do for him. And so him calling out for a number one receiver maybe the front off his listen. And they decided that Matthew Golden was going to be a guy.
Speaker 1: Kind of weird man. They listening to him, but it wasn't Rogers kind of jumping up and down for a couple of seasons hoping to get one of these players. One observation here, and I'm gonna steal with something that David Carr had told me because at the end of the season, DC and I were talking. I said, hey, man, Green Bay is a really good team that's so close. This is a young receiver room. Last year was first and second year of players that were their contributors. They go again in round number one and they take a wide, but not again. They do it for the first time to two thousand and two, but they double down in terms of trying to add some weapons there. I said, DC, like, what do they need? And he said, the one thing that I would point to is is a guy that could take it over the top, Like who's that speedzer, who can stretch the defenses, who can get you really those big explosive plays. And Matthew Golden seems to be able to check that box just based off of the speed level. And I know, obviously you got to watch a ton of him at Texas. It did feel like when they needed a big play, he was the obvious target and.
Speaker 2: That was really apparent when he watched it in the playoff, when they needed a play, they went to him, and look, there was another decorated player opposite of Isaiah Bond, But when it came down to it, the ball went to Matthew Golden. And the fact that he went from Houston to Texas and kind of swiped the number one role from others that look, this speaks volumes about his play. Now someone else. And we were talking about the Atlanta Falcons trading. They got Jalen Walker at fifteen, but James Pierce at twenty six. You talked about the Falcons liking their moves. What was it about these power moves?
Speaker 1: That you love the fact that this has been a team so deficient at creating pressure on quarterbacks. I was fortunate enough to be down in Atlanta in August for training camp, and you talk to the fans down there, you talk to their coaching staff. Terry Fotteau was one of our guests, and it was abundantly clear, Hey, like, we need to be better on the defensive side. They were thirty first in the NFL in sacks a season ago. I don't think it was much better two seasons ago, and yet it didn't get better last season. And I think what's fascinating is they took a page out of what the Eagles did a year ago and say, hey, we got some questions on that secondary. We're gonna double dip. We're going to take two guys in round number one. I think the Falcons were ridiculously aggressive. I love that they were aggressive last year in a different regard by taking Michael Pennix when they did, and then this year they said, you know what, We're not going to have that excuse and in division that is gettable. Right now. They gotta feel Pennix can ball. We feel good about him being a missing piece and if we're remotely better on the defensive side. Maybe that's enough to really push a Tampa Bay squad.
Speaker 2: Dude, they are all in. They made an aggressive move a year ago when they got Michael Penix while they had Kirk Cousins already in the building. The incadn't even drive it on this contract, and they go and get a number one pick. And then this year, Terry final goes doubles down very aggressive to go and get James Pennis to pair him with Jalen Walker. And we can say a lot of things about what they have, but now they have two guys that can get after the passer, albeit in different ways. Jalen Walker, being a hybrid linebacker, can play inside off ball but then down and come off the edge, which should make him a really intriguing and impressive blitzer. And then James Spears, who can line up, come off the edge and win with speed and just explosiveness. It is gon'na be fun to watch this Atlanta Falcon team kind of get it together. And one thing that you have to understand when you're a team builder, you're building your team to also play in your stadium. So these two fast guys playing on a turf, it's the Mercedes Benz Dome, whatever we call it. But being able to get off that that should certainly helped them. And I want to go to pick right after Pierce comes off the boards, Malachot starts going to the Baltimore Ravens. The Ravens for years have traditionally drafted just really good footballs at football players at all levels of the draft, and Starts been a high IQ player, a guy that's a combo safety mining he can play in the box and play in the deep middle, a guy who really compliments Kyle Hamilton will and man, look, I know they had gotten good player from a Darius Washington, but for two first round safeties, that secondary is going to get back to playing the way that they played when they played really good defense in the past.
Speaker 1: Where did you have Starks going? Was is this the right range? I only asked because a couple of years ago, Kyle Hamilton we didn't talk about. I don't remember the exact.
Speaker 2: Number, fourteen, four and fourteen, but he was Look, he was rated as a top five player in the draft. Class goes to the combine, doesn't run faster. Then, as we're prone to do, we overthink it and very similar to Malachos Starks. He was the number one safety heading into the combine. Nick emin Warrior had a great combine and kind of stole Starks his thunder because he was so impressive as a six to four athlete and those things. But the Ravens, because I know this, they put their pencils down before they get to the combine. Their grades and stuff are all in. They're done with the process before they get to the combine, so they're not swayed by the workouts. Their grades and their things are done off the tape and off the tape. Malachis Starks was an impressive player, not only last season, but a season before. You saw a ton of plays, a ton of reactions and instincts and big plays. And that's why at twenty seven he was the right fit for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rich get richer. I've been saying this for two seasons now that the Baltimore Ravens have the best roster in the NFL that hasn't culminated into a Super Bowl championship. A couple of years ago obviously got close. It was the Kansas City Chiefs beating them in Baltimore and even being in Baltimore in August. You could feel that in the conversations with the players they were referencing that. And then they got better somehow, and Derek Henry comes aboard and they're they're rolling. Save Flowers has a breakout season and yet once again falling just short. I just wonder if a piece like this gets them this much closer, because I still think it comes down to how do you learn from some of your losses because you can't even can't point at the roster buck like.
Speaker 2: They gonna make plays like they're gonna make plays, cause their thing has little to do with the talent and more to do with the execution. The effort is there, the execution has to be better in the those key moments. Last pick that I want to talk about, John Campbell going to the field of Eagles. Another example of Howie Roseman doing what Howie Roseman does. He's not a grade to He's not afraid to move up, even though it was just flipping a spot to go and get a linebacker. And you gotta remember, the Eagles never go after the linebackers. It was a position that they didn't value in their model, whether it's their analytics or just a philosophical standpoint, they didn't really see a lot of value in getting linebackers high. But lo and behold, joh Campbell is the pick. And maybe I'll say this. He was the pick for them because not only is the off ball linebacker, but because he's so effective coming off the edge. That is the only way they could have said Vic Fangio had to be And Howie Roseman's saying no, no, I'm telling you, if we get him in we can do these things with him. He can be effective, really intriguing, anticing pick for the philadelp.
Speaker 1: Hgles all Right, I go throw something in your way on day two. Okay, here we got I'm not going to ask you when should Dor Sanders gets drafted. I'm going to ask you, does Tyler, Schucker, Jell and Milroll go ahead head of Shador?
Speaker 2: They shouldn't. But now I'm nervous. I didn't think Jackson Dart would go. When I look at the board, I'm saying, you got the Browns right away at thirty three, and then I think you have the Raiders at thirty six or thirty seven. To me, Shadure Sanders to the Raiders would be the best pick and the reason why is the comparison for me, Wish's Jewer Sanders would be either Jerry Goff or Gino Smith. And so if you get him and you put him behind it, and look, I know people were like, well they got a backup quarterback, and ain't O'Connell in those things. I hear that, But I just think the relationship tom Brady looking look, it's overblown a little bit, even if Shaduer told me that, but Tom Brady being there, tom Brady kind of knowing what he's about, being able to learn that, to me, it would fit. I'm not saying that Cleveland wouldn't be fit, but man, if I could pick it for him, I would pick the Raiders.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be wild here because I think there's got to be some concerns injury wise. For Tyler Shuck, I made this reference before I got to see him a ton when he was at Oregon. It feels like he's a step away from collecting Social Security. He's been around for so long. But I know all the reports coming out of the Senior Bowl as he's impressive. I look at those traits though. For Jalen Milroll, I remember the first time I watched him in a game. I'm like, damn, Like, this dude is just he's so different out there. And that's where I start to hedge a little bit and go, Hey, which guy, which quarterback is it going to be? That's gonna hear his name called next, and maybe it's Sanders or maybe it's one of those other players.
Speaker 2: Look, it should be fascinating to watch. That was this week's Hot or Not segment, brought to you by with Sabi how cloud storage, store more and do more with your data. Try them for free at wassabi dot com. Yeah this was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I appreciate the we spent We.
Speaker 2: Spent four hours doing the drafting, and we spent a little extra time doing a podcast. We gotta get you on the podcast again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, we went over time on this one. And then it's me and you the rest of the way. On Day two and day three, Day three on Saturday, you're gonna be ready to kill. I promise.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe I got your coffee because I know I know this, we're gonna have to have some runners or whatever. We went to the whole first round without having runners bringing coffee and treats and all that. When we go rounds four through seven, some people gonna have to get on the move. We're gonna have to get.
Speaker 2: A Starbucks to kind of I shouldn't even drop that, but the coffee plays with the little green and signy, and so we're gonna need them to kind of drop some coffee.
Speaker 1: Can I just look for people who don't know Buck and I love our caffee. We've traveled down the road before. He says that I'm picky. I drink cole Brew black. This dude comes in. I'll never forget this and you'll never be able to say anything to me. Your your Starbucks cup.
Speaker 2: Said, They already, they already are made. Those are pre made comments on those things. But look, this was a lot of fun. Thanks thanks for coming on. Move to sticks yammer guys, make sure you tune in tomorrow night. We have another podcast at the rounds two and three, Day two of the Draft. Until then, we'll talk to him