Speaker 1: Miligue Books has all the knowledge you want. My League Buds has all.
Speaker 2: The knowledge you need.
Speaker 1: My League Buds chat. They have all the books that the whole wild world run up read my League Books.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Book Show, bringing a world together with books, culture and community.
Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Malik, your host.
Speaker 3: Of Malik's Bookshelf. This week is all about community. That's all I'm gonna be talking about. Because the epic Los Angeles Times Festival Books this upcoming Saturday and Sunday USC is going down at USC and Malik's Books is.
Speaker 1: In the house.
Speaker 3: We have a all star lineup at Malik Books Booth eight eighty and five thirty eight. But let me tell you about this because this year Malik Books has been selected as the Children's Stage special Seller. That's right, the main children's stage. Maligue Books is the special seller. We have to host over thirty different author's books. This is epic, is big. We're looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: I got a mountain of books stacked up at the Books thought that I had to order and we are just so excited that we have been selected as this year's special seller for the Children's Previlion main stage.
Speaker 3: La Times Fessival Books is expecting around between one hundred and one hundred and fifty thousand. Of course, I'm hoping one hundred and fifty thousand between those two days. I got a ton of books that need to be sold. I got an all star lineup for the children's main stage.
Speaker 1: They doing all these author signings there, and.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you about then up for the Children's pavilion, the children's stage, then I'm gonna tell you about Malik's.
Speaker 1: Books, Boots and who I have a period.
Speaker 3: This is going to be signing their books. This is going to be an exciting Let me tell you something. I just hope it don't rain. I hope it don't rain. You know, this weather been crazy here Atmosphaic Rivers or what have raining when it's zero percent chance, it is crazy whether out here in Cali.
Speaker 1: But hey, I hope it don't rain.
Speaker 3: April twenty second and twenty third. Oh, we have a beautiful sunshine day and I hope the community comes out it by the thousands to support the Los Angeles Times Festival Books and come through the Children's pavilion, come at Malik Books. Here's the line up for the Children's Pavilion April twenty second and twenty third. Now, if you want to get a full disclosure of all the authors appearing at the La Times Festival Books, you gotta go to La Times dot com backslash fob All right, this Sunday, they just came out with the lineup. I believe in all the vendors that are gonna be to participating in booth numbers. But I'm gonna tell you real briefly some of the authors at the children's stage, and then I'm gonna follow that up with Malik Books. And if you go to Melite books dot com you can get a full lineup of our schedule at our boost eight eighty and five thirty eight, because we have some great independent local art as well as some main published, mainstream published authors.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's the children's stage pavilion, all right, all.
Speaker 3: About community at Los Angeles Times April twenty second, April twenty three at usc the children's stage lineup. We got Robert Glasser, author of Glorious.
Speaker 1: Promised a ballet dancers, all right.
Speaker 3: David Shannon wrote a book called Gold, Aaron Becker wrote a book called The Tree and the River, all right.
Speaker 1: Shanna Stitch wrote a book called Black.
Speaker 3: Beach, A Community and Oil Spills, So we got that, and a lot of these books are new. A lot of these books are just coming out this month or pre released just for this show at the Los Angeles Books Festival, all right. Doug Salata, who wrote a book called Hot Dog. Listen Kwame Alexander. This brother then wrote a gang of books. But he got a new book to just release called how to Write a Poem, And we got his other books as well, So come ont Kwame Alexander at the Los Angeles Times Fest walk.
Speaker 1: Along with guess oh, Max Greenfield.
Speaker 3: Now I got a change that to hear him last year and he lit up the main stage. He's gonna be speaking at the children his book. This book is not a present. This book is not a present. That's what he wrote in He's you know, we're gonna have his other books as well.
Speaker 1: Joy Hong, I love you more than you ever know. I love you more than I ever know.
Speaker 3: Joey Honk in the house at the Los Angeles Times Festival.
Speaker 1: Books all right.
Speaker 3: Joanna Medina, who wrote a book called Elena Rides. Elena Rides. Okay, these are all children books.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Elina Rides, all right, that's name of her book. Ty Leah no book listed, but she owned that, all right, so he'll come through. Ada Salazar wrote a book called Jovita war Pants. Jovita war Pants, The Story of Mexican Freedom Fire.
Speaker 1: Okay, So.
Speaker 3: Salazar wrote a book called and I got all some other books by this author, Jovita war Pants, The Story of a Mexican Freedom Fire.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Robin Ozon all right, wrote a book called Strong Baby.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Now, I think Robin is like she's one of those polyton instructive leader founders or something like that, you know, big time, you know, well known in the fitness and health industry. Got a book called Strong Baby. So come through. I met Zeppa because I'm your mom. That's the name of that book that he wrote. The iconic Stacey aproms at the Festival of Books at you see, she has a book called Stacy Remarkable Books. All right, that's one of her latest a children's books. She got a gang of books that she wrote Bromance. She has a book on a business and her journeysm in the business world and her partners.
Speaker 1: And now she is going to be at the LA Times. Stacy Abrams at the LA Times.
Speaker 3: Signing her books and talking to the children and the people. Stacy Abrams, so you know, that's one of the most recognizable names and politics and so forth, strong black woman. Stacey Air at the LA Times. Gonna be reading her book, Stacy's Remarkable Books.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Then we got Jeffrey Brown wrote a book Thor and Loki.
Speaker 1: May Guard Family Mayhem. All right.
Speaker 3: That's Jeffrey Brown and his books. He got a gag in his books, coming to Dina Menzoe. She and Kara Menzo They both wrote a book called Loud Mouse in the House. Lucky Diaz wrote a book Love Gucti Rosta.
Speaker 1: Look Gucti Rista.
Speaker 3: All right, So that's a new book by Lucky Diaz, Love Guti Rasta.
Speaker 1: And then we have.
Speaker 3: A mirror, all right, who wrote a book called You Will Do Great Things. Love the title by a mirror wrote a book called You Would Do Great Things. Katherine Schwazernagger Pratt good Night Sisters.
Speaker 1: That's the children's book she wrote.
Speaker 3: And Christy Gang Christy Gange wrote a book called Last Flight. So listen, that's all the children authors this year. That's going to be signing at the Children's Pavilion Books, the Children's stage at the Los Angeles Times Festival Books and this all star lineup, so you got to come through.
Speaker 1: It's exciting. Now what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Talk about Malite Books and what we have at our booths at eight eighty and five thirty eight because we have some published authors by mainstream public and we have some independent authors at our booths, and so we excited. We excited. At first, I wasn't going to because I got to be in there. I got all these out children, I have my booths. But at first I wasn't even going to schedule any authors for my booth. But as I got closer to the event, I realized that, you know, this is a great and excellent opportunity to feature what we do at Malague Books, giving voice to them voiceless. So I said, we gotta have some authors because this is what we are about. So I reached out and I started to organize, and I got all star lineup of authors who are self published, independoth or main street publishers.
Speaker 1: Deals.
Speaker 3: Okay, and so Saturday and Sunday, April twenty six, come through Malik's Books Booth eight eighty five thirty eight.
Speaker 1: We got Gail.
Speaker 3: Lerner who wrote a book called The Big Dreams of Small Creatures. All right, ta Tierramico, the Birthday Princess. Craig Smith, former La Clippers, Gonna be in the House. He wrote a book called Craig and His Magical Basketball. You got to come through. Go to Melik books dot com. You get the full schedule of Malik books line up all right right on the home page. Now we have Ashley Coleman, author of Good Morning Love Ashley Coleman, super Nova, Slum in the House, author of Man Heal Thyself, Wellness Warrior, Journey to Self Mastery. Erica Kendrick, author of Cookie Monsters, Lord Catch.
Speaker 1: Cough Robbins I interviewed her too in the podcast.
Speaker 3: She wrote a book called Stash My Life in Hiding. Amina Laurel wrote a book called Oprah alland Ashley. Jeane Granlio wrote a book called Where Masters Lurk.
Speaker 1: And Magic Hydes Jane Allen in the House.
Speaker 3: She wrote a series of books, but the new one is out called Black Girls Must Have It All. Black Girls Must Have It All. Cindy Monteleegro He wrote a book called My Mind as a Mountain. It's both in English and Spanish. So come on out. Cindy Monta Negro Rodney Barnes now listen this I interviewed him for the podcast This brother is iconic. He deep into books, movies, TV series. I mean he's behind the stage, he's a writer, he's all of that.
Speaker 1: But he's at Malay Books.
Speaker 3: Come through booth eight eighty. Go to the melikbooks dot com. Look at the schedule. But he wrote a graphic novel called Blackla The Return of the King.
Speaker 1: Coming out to hang out at Melik.
Speaker 3: Books and sign his new book, Blackler Return of the King. We have Correll Augustus who just wrote this iconic book, and we did a gang events with my brother. But Hollywood reimagining iconic movie moumits. That's what a Corral Augustus genius world tremney to the given voice to the voiceless. So you gotta come out hang out with Correl Gus. Get a book he's autographing black Hollywood reimagining iconic movie mombits. Andrea Lonely, she is in the house. Look, she wrote a gang of books too. Listen, We featuring curving flow, the elegant vision of La architect Paul Williams. Y'all know his iconic building at the Lax Airport that you know, Dome. This circulating around the LA Airport. Everybody seeing flying and flying out with Paul Williams. The architect, a black man, done a lot of iconic buildings all over the city of La. This guy is iconic. So hey, she got a book out featuring a children's book that features La architype Paul Williams. So hey, come out, Andrea Lonely. She got a gang of books, got a whole lot of other some science books that she wrote for kids, helping them inspire them to want to go into science.
Speaker 1: We also got Billy King.
Speaker 3: Listen, she wrote a book about marrormaids before the blow up, about Marriymaids featuring Chloe as Disney putting out this movie featuring Chloe a black merrimaid, and it kind of created some controversy.
Speaker 1: Well long before all this time, and he had.
Speaker 3: Billy King wrote a book called Piper Blue and her Search for Great Means is about a black mermaid and she's a wonderful pictorial book, picture book for kids. So he come on out, and she I think she wrote another book on book two.
Speaker 1: She got a few books.
Speaker 3: She's a you know, a movie producer, singer, performer, you know, strong, beautiful black woman.
Speaker 1: She's gonna be at Malik Books. So come on out. And we have Brianna Gibson, whom wrote a children's book called Baby Please Be Safe. It's about being safe.
Speaker 3: She's gonna have her daughter there, who's major part of this book and inspiration, and she's gonna be in her costume and she's gonna be doing her thing. So you gotta come on out and support the I youth because she the little girl gonna be signing books or Leah that's her name. She's gonna be signing books called Baby Please Be Safe, all right. So then we have celebrity character Noirky. We got a costume coming to Malik Books. The celebrity costume bird is called Noirki, all right. And they have a book gonna be signing Noirki and the Dream Factory where Dreams turned into a venture. So you're gonna gotta come out. This is gonna be a fun day. Narky a Belief Books. So hey, we're gonna turn the value up. Let me tell you this. We also have Nadine Luke. She's all about elevating the mind and conscious and self esteem of our kids and youth. So she wrote a gang of books, one of them called The Veterinarian Fashion Design. Now this is part of what she called I Can Be That Too series. So she got a number of books. She gonna be on set. She gonna be signing at booth five thirty eight. You gotta come out to see Nadine Luke. He's all about uplifting our youth and using books to inspire, to encourage, to love, to create self esteem. And she goes in and out of the school districts. She travel up and down to California. She's gonna be in the house Nadan Luke to come on out at Malik's booths at the Los Angeles Times Festival Books April twenty second, April two.
Speaker 1: It's an all day fair ten to six. You gotta come on out.
Speaker 3: We're hosting Mani authors were hosting the children authors at the Children's stage. So hey, I'm excited. It's a lot of work, but hey, this is what I do. I'm a book activist. I get down like this. I get excited about this. We was out in the community just this last week doing with the LA Unified School District organization called BSOP BSAP Black Scholars Achievement Program, all about lifting up the black and brown and so hey, I was all part of this event. It was called the Family Reunion and it was a big hit.
Speaker 1: The families came out.
Speaker 3: They gave away a lot of gifts and books and all of that.
Speaker 1: So we were doing that.
Speaker 3: I broke out the bookmobile, Malik's Bookmobile, and I mean tell you at the Loss Angeles Times Festival up books, malit is bringing out the book mobile. I was able to arrange this year to set it up. I'm excited. We're going big or go home. We got the book mobile, we got the booth, we got all that taking place at this year's Los Angeles Times Festival.
Speaker 5: Book the book more Bill is going to be historically at the festival, books along with self published art, mainstream published authors, and Malie hosted all the books for the.
Speaker 1: Main children's stage as a special seller.
Speaker 3: So come on, our family, come support, So we need to come.
Speaker 1: Hey listen.
Speaker 3: In the past, in my opinion, black people have been underrepresented at the Los Angeles Times Festivook Underrepresented. We need to come out. We read, We love books, and we need to come out. This is a funday. It's a community event. Everybody. If you love reading, if you need to encourage your kids to read, need.
Speaker 1: To come out to the Los Angeles Times Festival.
Speaker 3: Book It's a community event. It's free. Only thing you gotta buy. I think you gotta pay for parking out there if you can find it.
Speaker 1: But other than that, it's free. It don't cost you nothing to listen.
Speaker 3: But if you need to come and support, you need to buy some books.
Speaker 1: That's important too.
Speaker 3: It's important because we put a lot of work in it and were trying to make all these authors best sellers.
Speaker 1: So you gotta come on out, community, Come on out. I couldn't do no other podcast.
Speaker 3: This week other than announcing what's about to take please this upcoming week April twenty second, April twenty third, So come on out. Come, bring a friend, bring the family, bring the kids, come on out. Let's get down, let's have fun, let's praise books, Let's show up in the community.
Speaker 1: Let's embrace each other.
Speaker 3: Le's It's all about unity, Belief's bookshelf, bringing a world together with books, culture and community and this event signifiance what Malique Books is all about.
Speaker 1: So come on out piece, good evenings, good day to everyone.
Speaker 2: This is April from Elik Books. We have Latanya Richardson, author of Love Sawid. Welcome, Welcome, welcome, Thank you April, about your journey and what made you are inspired you to write this book.
Speaker 6: Let's see, I had this story in my head for years. I've always loved a good love story, particularly a good black love story. Black love, yes, and one that wasn't a struggle love story. And so I started, like I said, years ago, with this. I needed to sit and kind of develop the characters.
Speaker 2: Once I had that done and I.
Speaker 7: Was able to kind of just put everything together with the plot and all of that.
Speaker 2: I'm an avid reader, so you know, I've been.
Speaker 6: Reading books for years obviously and just wanted to take a stab.
Speaker 2: At it, you know. Okay, now how long have you been out? I released the book on Valentine's Day this year. Oh well, Krack and congratulations we got a new author. Now, yeah, congratulations, it's a beautiful cover. You have a basketballer here. Is there any significant for the basketball? Absolutely? So the love story is about Kevin Peterson. He is a professional basketball player.
Speaker 6: He needs a shrikingly beautiful and cultured young woman named Layla Simone.
Speaker 2: Lane, and it's their love story. It's a love at first sight.
Speaker 6: And their journey to get to their destination.
Speaker 2: So, okay, love story. I love love stories. On this journey? Did it allow you to see yourself in it? Are?
Speaker 3: Is it a depiction of things that you've seen?
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of all of that, you know.
Speaker 6: I always say art does imitate life, you know, so we take our.
Speaker 2: Collective experiences and we you know, put them in our arts.
Speaker 6: So yes, there's a tag bit of that, But overall the story is fiction. Okay, so yeah, just a little bit of me, but it's predominantly fiction.
Speaker 2: Okay, your story. Do you feel that it's a relatable for male and female or just for just for us? It is definitely for both male and female.
Speaker 6: Obviously with the basketball you have that him being a professional basketball player.
Speaker 2: It's a love story. Who doesn't love love?
Speaker 6: You know, it's relatable, it's raw, it's all of that.
Speaker 2: So I think both men and women will enjoy the story.
Speaker 3: Team work makes the dream work, Aprawn, the stomp interviewing authors in the store Latanya Richison Love sort where here's the continuation of the organic interview at Malik Books signing this week.
Speaker 7: Sit in the room and block everything out, you just writing, and everybody's like, well.
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 7: This is my you know, the ideas, my thoughts.
Speaker 2: I just put them in my notes. Take that, you know, and transcribe them and what have you. But it's just again, I'm just amazed. At first of all, I've almost sold three hundred copies.
Speaker 7: Come on, and that I have something in my hand and I'm looking and I still can These are my words, these are this is my story that I created from here and it's living, breathing and perpetuity, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And it's just like it's just it's just God is amazing. God is amazing.
Speaker 7: And so in December, because I was done and we just needed to do some editings and some finishing, and.
Speaker 2: God was like, if you don't do this now, you're.
Speaker 7: Gonna miss your opportunity. And I was just like, I gotta get it done. So once I told everybody was like, okay, just her, just like, when's it coming out?
Speaker 2: I said? Valan Guides. Then giving myself.
Speaker 7: The deadline, you know what I mean, because now I'm flip to the fire.
Speaker 2: You know what It's like, Okay, because I know my people would be like, but I.
Speaker 1: Thought you she said, she said, you know.
Speaker 7: And I never want to. I don't like being that person. Like I always tell you. If I tell you, I'm gonna do something that's already dunhu, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And so the fact that people were just like looking forward.
Speaker 2: And then Philip was like, so this was like, okay, we don't have it, so let's just do pre sale. Let's just let them know.
Speaker 7: It's coming out Valentine's Day on your website, you know, because they put it on Amazon and all that for pre sale. But She's like, no, let's do it through your website and pre sell it. And literally within a week, I had like eighty ninety people that.
Speaker 2: Purchased the rage. That was awesome though, and I was just like, what is going on? And so it's just all been just word of mouth, grassroots, just me. So what I have people do.
Speaker 6: And what I have to do today is when they get the book, I have them. So this has been my marketing strategy. Everybody's been sending me a picture of them reading the book.
Speaker 7: Okay, And so she's she's in Carousyle.
Speaker 2: I had a look. They in the hair salon everywhere. Love it. Yeah, I mean it's just been like crazy.
Speaker 1: Travel consultants don't traveling.
Speaker 6: And so everybody's just been more than my one friend she she was in where she she was in caval Saint Lucas. My other friend was literally on the Nile in Egypt.
Speaker 2: Love it, so everybody. So now everybody's like, oh, I got to get my picture to you. Let me get my picture to you. Let me get my picture to you.
Speaker 7: And I've just been posting it on you know, social media, and so now everybody's like they want their picture with the I got the books I'm gonna take, I'm gonna send it to you, you know.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, okay, that's a that's an awesome marketing track. Yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: I also want to thank you for choosing on these books to have this beautiful book signing.
Speaker 2: In here today. You can pick up your autograph copies.
Speaker 3: Online or you could come in here the Cover City Mall, Bawen Hills Mall to pick up your autograph copies at any time would you like to tag or plug yours?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: You can find me at Hey Lady by Tanya and at t A n i A on all social media platforms. My website if you do want to get an autographed copy of the book is Heylady by Tanya dot com and again it's Tanya at t A ni A.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you so much. I'm going to have a successful book signing today. Absolutely can't wait.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to Malik's bookshelf, where topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community. Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. Check out my instagram at Malakbooks. See you next time.