Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Hello, everybody, welcome, is Still the Place and our very special guest start Joseph Bessett.
Speaker 4: Yay, Hi, everybody, so excited to have you for Laura's first episode, episode nineteen.
Speaker 3: And first of all, we have to take a moment to address what's going on in LA, which is obviously these horrible, horrible fires. We can't go on without at least acknowledging what's going on. How are you guys doing.
Speaker 5: I'm still evacuated, as you guys know.
Speaker 2: I'm looking every morning and then even in the middle of the night, I look up on my emergency website to see if you know, they've opened up.
Speaker 5: But they've opened up, but.
Speaker 2: You know, the flames are out, but all of that fire and that he builds up, you know, I've heard underground and in the brush and in the tree roots, and these firemen are so meticulous about making sure it's one hundred thousand percent safe before they send people back up into these areas.
Speaker 5: So we'll just see.
Speaker 2: I just trust some and we're just lucky we have We're staying at a friend's house.
Speaker 5: But I know it's so hard on people.
Speaker 2: I have friends who are my neighbors are just like, they're in airbnbs, they're in hotels, and it's just really hard.
Speaker 5: And I have we all have.
Speaker 2: Friends who have lost homes, and you know, it's a weird state of mind, isn't it.
Speaker 5: I don't know about everyone else, but it's like one minute.
Speaker 2: I'm just like ugh, the other minute, I'm like, oh, I have to help, And the other minute I'm like, I'm exhausted.
Speaker 5: What just happened. It's very surreal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's strange to be in the middle. I'm evacuated too, but you know, my house seems to be okay. I won't quite believe it till i'm there, because it's been a long time and very stressful. And you're right, it's like whether your house survived or didn't work community, and there's been such extraordinary loss. There's also been such an extraordinary outpouring of care and love and attention, and we're all coming together and meeting where we can, and as people find places to live, I'm seeing that that they're doing better. People are resilient, but it's going to be a long road. I mean, we're all in shock, I'm saying, in the next town over and I'm like, wait, life is going on. It's so weird, right because there's so much devastation here and then here I'm going to Target. It's so strange. But like I said, I'm really touched by the outpouring of love and support and people sending clothes and companies, like so many companies are saying come take whatever you want, like people are.
Speaker 1: That part is moving.
Speaker 5: It's easy to think of la as not really a commune the Tea.
Speaker 2: It's easy to think of it as spread out and everyone's doing their own thing, and everyone has different cities and neighborhoods, and no one knows what the each other is doing.
Speaker 5: And I am very.
Speaker 2: Touched at how people from all over coming to help the people in the Palisades and Alta Dina they eating fire, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the firefighters from all over that's been extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Mexico, Canada, South Africa. Yeah, my sister in law said, Dallas, they're leaving us, they're coming to you.
Speaker 5: You know, It's amazing.
Speaker 6: A humans are so resilient when when we have to be in workforce into a situation like.
Speaker 5: This, we're resilient and we yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: I know what you mean about the community aspect, because when I lived in La I moved a lot because I felt like, God, I don't feel like a sense of community like I felt at home. Of course, whenever home is always going to be home. So I ended up in the palis and mile House has gone, my sense preschool has gone. So when I see that aerial shot, it's like, what like how like the village the village Gelson's like, it's just really hard to wrap your head around. So to hear that the communities coming together is just so so beautiful and humans helping humans it is.
Speaker 3: And the thing is like wherever we are the tune. I went into the Gelsons at Century City yesterday. I used to go to one of the palisades and they've moved some of the checkers there, and one song, I just went Courtney. We just ran up to each other and hugged. It's like you see people right like, oh, we're here, We're okay. And there was loss of life, obviously, but considering how much property was lost and the devastation, it's incredible how many people have survived. Right that you know, I'm here with my ex and my son and all of our dogs and we're together and we just think, you know what, that's what you rebuild from here, Like you know what, I mean, so many friends of law so much but they're still here. And we really shown up for each other, Like the amount of checking up on each other and keeping up. I mean, you guys have been so in touch. It's so moving, like you really do feel cared for and I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 7: You talked Courtney about it being like this is what's going on in LA. But the feeling of like you can just step just a little bit outside and it doesn't and it feels like it's a completely different experience. Even you know, down in Orange County or something. It just you're not in it in the same way as it is in LA. And so we also, I think the idea that these disasters happen around the country, around the world, you know, when we see them on the news and you and you can only relate sort of so much to it in an empathetic and like horrified way, but like when you're in it, it's just such a different experience and like that realization that that's what goes on.
Speaker 6: All the time, you know, I know what you mean, Laura.
Speaker 7: Having fires and stuff and hurricanes and tornadoes and the devastation.
Speaker 8: And the loss and and so.
Speaker 7: You know, we're in this area that just experienced it, but it's just one of many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost like our turn. I was looking at the pictures of the Palatines thinking, oh, this looks like those tornado pictures right where one side of the street is gone and then there's a house and you go, oh, and you really is that sense of it's clearly not just us. But you're right, if you really internalize it, it increases your empathy. You go, oh, I have a little bit more understanding of what it's like. Like we've been watching the floods and they watch the fires. It's like this or the earthquakes, and you go, like, Japan donated a lot of money to relief, and we watch, you know, we share earthquakes with Japan, right, And you go, oh, that's right. We are, We really are. We all suffer the same. This is what we're going through now, and then we get the help and then we give the help when it's time. So that that is, you know, the tiny little silver lining in this incredibly difficult time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and our our listeners, we know, are you know, listening from all over and so we're just sharing our little LA moment, you know, in real time sort of like with our listeners.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: We have this podcast and we're going to do this wonderful recap with wonderful episode where character of crazy Sydney comes in.
Speaker 5: She's not crazy when she comes in. She's just annoying when.
Speaker 6: She comes in, very entitled.
Speaker 8: So you can choose your adjective.
Speaker 5: I know, I hope you'll take it because you played it.
Speaker 2: That's another thing about our city. We're you know, work is very difficult right now.
Speaker 5: The studios are shooting elsewhere now. Things are burnt down, people are leaving. There's two strikes.
Speaker 2: I've been hearing that and all the podcasts and all the you know things I've been reading about our business. It's very much struggling in LA right now, and just heard it even more so. People are needing to and wanting to work. And I really hope that the powers that be do all that.
Speaker 5: They can to bring and keep work in Los Angeles because there are a lot of all of our crews.
Speaker 2: So many people work in the entertainment industry. You know, I really want just to put that out there. I just really hope that we can keep our industry here, you know, going and working and keep people employed.
Speaker 7: And one of our many blessings, I think, is just to have this opportunity to spend this time together. Like I am just so grateful for you guys and for our listeners that we have this podcast to do, and it gives us an excuse to like just be together and see all your lovely faces and just have this distraction and this fun sort of little you know.
Speaker 1: This other thing that have a little risk.
Speaker 3: But I remember hearing a long time ago that maturity is living through difficult times. Not just like you're living through the difficult times, but the difficult time is happening and you keep living. So we are all doing everything we can help. And also we can do this episode nineteen and have a little bit of a break and have some laughs and enjoy. So having said that, that is trying narrating, which is very exciting because Laura gets to this is her first episode, and I'm sure she won't beat herself up like DAFTI and.
Speaker 8: I, Oh no, well never not.
Speaker 1: At all I was er.
Speaker 7: I wasn't cringing at all when I wanted, I sure not.
Speaker 8: Embarrassed in the.
Speaker 5: Face.
Speaker 1: O my god, Yeah, of course you're smoking like a Chimney beer. Like okay.
Speaker 3: So this is episode nineteen, and to get it right into the show, we have so many great guest stars that will address as they come in. And it opens on this adorable scene with Joe and Jake, and it opens on a close up of Daphnie. Have to start with this facing the sun and her skin looks like glass. I'm like, oh my god, when you could just say sure, I'll squint into the sun and all look like I'm perfect stunning And you guys, as always, your chemistry is so great. Joe is trying to take some photographs on the beach. Jake is trying to neuzzle her, and he says, she says, I'm trying to work, and then Jake says, all work and no play makes Joe a very dull girl, to which she says, of course a woman, and I'm anything but dull, which I absolutely loved.
Speaker 6: I loved it.
Speaker 5: I loved shooting that scene.
Speaker 2: We were out on Point Doom in Malibu where they shoot it's famous for shooting Planet of the Apes and.
Speaker 5: That, so you can see it on Some of the shots.
Speaker 8: You know, are the big cliff on one side, very dramatic.
Speaker 5: Point doom to up to zoom a beach and.
Speaker 2: All the way up, all the way up the coast, and I remember shooting that.
Speaker 5: Charlie Carrall Dire directed this and he was always so funny.
Speaker 7: This was his first episode of Miller. Chip shared with that Charlie's first episode was also my first episode, and Charlie remained with us, and.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, a beloved director.
Speaker 2: Yes, always very would shoot like set up you know, he knew what he wanted to do. You set up this and that, and I thought this episode looked great, but then he would come up. I don't know if you guys remember then he'd come up and chat with you, like he just wanted to chat with the actual Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're back on the scene. So Jake finds.
Speaker 3: Joe's poetry book Collected Poems of William Carlos Williams, because you know, Mattra's place, we had a lot of fancy poetry. Yeah, and Joe tail Jake. She finds it inspiring. They walk up to his motorcycle, and Jake says is inspired by Harley's but Joe says, very snottily, I thought, too bad, you don't drive one, which is very threatening to his manhood.
Speaker 8: Making fun of his bike.
Speaker 5: I know, she says his.
Speaker 3: Bike is small, a girl's bike, and Jake should have adjusted his manhood because at that point I've probably probably felt like I was shrinking. And they get on the motorcycle and drive away on.
Speaker 1: The beach, on the beach on. The chemistry was so on.
Speaker 6: Par I love seeing them together, and I love because I missed the last I think it was the Christmas one, which was I'm I'm guessing was what because you guys were talking about the chemistry and I hadn't seen Jakes or Grant's character. Jake played that soft side and I really saw more of Grant. Yeah, totally right, and just so lovely to two of you, and both of you like together soften as characters. It's really cool to see. And then you have your defenses and protecting your heart right and afraid of your ex all that stuff. Beautiful, beautiful scene.
Speaker 5: Was so hard.
Speaker 2: It was so hard to go like like insult him and push him away because we just so got along, you know, and you can tell him.
Speaker 5: I was like, why the why does she have to say like that? But you know, she's It.
Speaker 1: Was so cute.
Speaker 3: So then we come in to Jane and Michael's apartment. The phone rings. Jane and Michael are in bed, and Jane says, Sidney, whoa slow down?
Speaker 1: What? And Jane hangs up.
Speaker 3: Jane tells Michael that Sydney is in LA and he says she should have called and Jane says she did from the airport, which I loved.
Speaker 7: And here's and here's where we learned that that Jane has a sister, which she's never mentioned before.
Speaker 8: Like my sister sid who suddenly exists. Yeah, not only exists, but she's come to l A.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we needed another character on the show. So Jane has a sister.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, it's so funny. I didn't even process that. I was so excited that you were coming on.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, because I've been expecting you. So as far as I knew you, I always knew your sister. So it's like, finally here, that's so funny.
Speaker 5: You're right, Josie, did they tell you it all?
Speaker 2: Had you guys met did they tell you that the story was coming? Did you know who was going to play it?
Speaker 6: No? Nothing, nothing, And like I think, like you guys had said prior, I believe I was on my honeymoon because I was not in the prior show, right, So yeah, it was cards called.
Speaker 8: Good Time from your Honeymoon now crazy?
Speaker 3: So did you think Jose Oh No, I've been playing it as an only child this entire time, rethinking.
Speaker 1: They just change everything I've been, everything is different.
Speaker 6: It was all like, what is happening here? I'm on this show. I just got married, and okay, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Great. So then we cut to Ronda's apartment and Ronda and Terrence are in bed and they just get up because she has cardio and Terrence is telling you that he should they should go to dinner in Newport, but she has to work and Terrence doesn't seem to really respect her work because it seems to get in the way of his plans. And you remind you they have dinner plans over at Denise and Howard's and asked her what she will wear, which I just went, oh, wretch flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't you guys Thinkonda was rubbed a little wrong?
Speaker 4: But I too.
Speaker 7: She's like, well, actually, I don't know that I have anything good enough based on what you've told me about these snooty pants people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he starts talking about a dress she saw in Melrose and it's interesting because you know, part of me is like how romantic. But I think she's a step ahead of me. And she said, don't buy me the dress, like you don't dress me. And I was like, it's kind of a female fantasy, but then it's also kind of pretty woman, right, It's like, yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I was like if a man said, hey, you know, you don't have to work, but go dance and I'll buy you that, Like, Okay, that works right now.
Speaker 3: I think she's getting that might be a little controlling. I was like, oh, that's such a good point. Rhonda's she's such a good point.
Speaker 6: I love watching her. Her smile is just like lights up the screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Definitely gave me some cringey moments of like, I don't know, there's something about him that I was like, I don't trust him. Just do they end up getting married? And that's it? I mean, I know they get married. Is is that why she had?
Speaker 5: So like we remember, I mean, I'm.
Speaker 6: Just when I'm asking, because are my instincts right? Right? Trust? Well?
Speaker 7: And she does, like you said, she has such a strong sense of herself, like, no, this is what I do who I am. Don't buy, don't choose this dress for me so I can be good enough for your snooty friends.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, she does draw that boundary like I'm good with who I am. And we see more of that as the episode goes on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Terence sort of whines I won't see you till tomorrow, and I went.
Speaker 7: Oh, I couldn't stand that dialogue or the delivery. Something about that is the cringing part. We're all going no, no, no.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, not attractive. Don't do that boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we are driving dumps the Coast Highway and Jane has a smoking infant in her seat. Wait you find out it is Sydney.
Speaker 5: A wonderful hat on her head.
Speaker 8: Jade has the hat on her head.
Speaker 5: She has the hat on her head.
Speaker 6: And the funny thing about that hat, you guys, it's like a couple of things. So, first of all, how is it staying on?
Speaker 7: I'm in a convertible when my hair is lying around, keep it out of my face.
Speaker 6: The big rose in the front. Oh my lord, so funny, so funny. But Laura, it was. It's such a great entrance for your character. Your feet up on the deck. I love how you put your feet up on stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, so no boundary stone and just smoking like smoking.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because first of all, I know you don't smoke, and you're just smoking, smoking.
Speaker 1: Smoking as a young kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah you Sydney asked Jane if she's mad that she just showed up, and Jane is very Dane is.
Speaker 1: Did you tell our parents? Just curious if you told our parents?
Speaker 6: Of course not.
Speaker 2: I mean it was such this whole show. As we'll go through scene by scene to see how perfectly this character was introduced, and this inter being in the car smoking, feet up on the dash in the ground of the shot, like the cameras here and her feet are right here.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna stomp all over everything, you know, re.
Speaker 7: Just you know that was in the script, that her feet were up on the dash and everything.
Speaker 8: It wasn't just.
Speaker 5: Like Laura like put her feet up.
Speaker 8: It was in a script.
Speaker 7: And so in one of my auditions I was like I had to go through the ranks for the audition, right because I was a brand new actress. I had not done a part this big at all. And so I go through the ranks, which means you start with just the casting director, and then they bring you to the next level and they, you know, the director of the producers, and then if that goes further than you go you know, higher up until they make a decision and chase you for the part or whatever. And so at the very beginning, I was, you know, reading through the scene and doing it with the casting director and and I had my I put my feet up on the desk, and he's like, yeah, just don't do that. You know, I'm gonna bring you to producers, but don't put your feet up on it. Like oh okay, like you don't know, like how far to go in an audition, like this is what it said, and okay, your feet up on Aaron's desk. Yeah, I didn't, not on Aaron's justice, But I get the very beginning and they're like, yeah, just don't do that part for real.
Speaker 8: So I'm like, oh, okay, that's funny.
Speaker 3: You were So the character was so clear, and I know it was your first job. But I was so impressed with how clear the character was. And when you tell Jane that you didn't tell your parents, and then you very snottily say do you want me here or not?
Speaker 1: Like you're so defensive, and.
Speaker 3: You know, sweet Jane gets sort of taken aback, and then she says she has to work the next day, but Michael take her to lunch. And then Jane said, again so sweetly, please don't smoke in the apartment, and Sidney goes, welcome to lay.
Speaker 8: Right then, all right, what a nice welcome.
Speaker 1: But I mean, we know who you are, not you.
Speaker 3: We know who Sydney is right away in this first scene, right yeah, totally so well played. And the relationship, like I was watching it going, first of all, you guys look like sisters. It's crazy. And I knew the relationship from this scene right away. I bought you guys as sisters from the first second.
Speaker 5: Yeah me too, I love really, Like I.
Speaker 1: Didn't have a moment's doubt.
Speaker 7: That was my big insecurity is that will I will they buy me as Jean's sister? A Like I watched some episodes as I was going through the auditions. Whatever I watched some episodes that were already on the air, and I'm like, oh my god, this girl Josie is the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, and I'm supposed to play her sister. Oh my god, like I'm never nobody's going to believe that, and like okay, And then also I looked it up, like.
Speaker 8: How old is she?
Speaker 7: And I found out that I am older and I'm playing the younger.
Speaker 6: Sister and younger.
Speaker 7: I was terrified that I was going to be called out and people would think I was a fraud. And so I thought the most important thing I needed to do is make sure to sell this idea that I'm younger, I'm the younger sister, and like I so I just really like established like the mannerisms of this younger, really young person, and like when I see it now, I'm like, okay, that's really young. But I remember the thought process was, okay, to make sure young, nobody food actually older. But I thought that was somehow important that I was.
Speaker 6: You definitely pulled it off. Yeah, and don't forget we were all so young too, but yeah, right, I forgot how how young you looked in that in the very beginning.
Speaker 8: So funny Yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Guys had a great chemistry, sisterly chemistry. Yeah, it was thus far.
Speaker 3: Then we're at a restaurant which must have been an Oxnard was it? It's a beach restaurant and miche I was going to ask if this.
Speaker 7: Was the real in you know, I think it might have been because that's the places.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, So my thinking was you shot this at the real end because I remember when Doug was doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back and then down the street is where k K Beacon Beacon, yeah.
Speaker 2: Building, and then I filmed out in Point point Doom and then you guys were doing your car scene somewhere around PC eight.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we're doing all right in there, which you know for people who don't know all these places, you.
Speaker 5: Know, member the whole crew, and yeah, the real Laura it was.
Speaker 6: I feel like I remember that in the interior was on stage right. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I thought for this episode we actually shot the interior in the space in Malibu and you can see out the window. Is I thought that was the real lootion that we were seeing out the window. I remember this episode. I think later when more episodes had to take place inside the design studio, it was probably built as a side stage.
Speaker 8: But yeah, sure this episode we were actually in Melo.
Speaker 1: We're not even there yet.
Speaker 3: Hold your horse yet, Sydney are outside. Sydney's shocking is smoking and she says, you're so cool because you're so young, so cool for taking me out to eat. You're hoping it would bring them closer, and then she starts talking about how perfect Jane and Michael are and how their parents used to call Jane purfey short for perfect, and Michael tells Sydney that Jane is insecure about her job and her new boss, Kate Beacon, and then Sydney of course, takes a long drag on her cigarette and smiles.
Speaker 8: I'm just thinking the wheels.
Speaker 1: Are turning already turning?
Speaker 5: Does that en?
Speaker 3: We're a dand advertising and my boss Lucy walks up Deborah Adare, who we adore, and drops a note on my desk and said and says, don't say I never did anything for you. And it ends up being an invitation to the Advertising Association ball.
Speaker 1: I think we've all heard of that. It's a big, big hot.
Speaker 3: Ticket, and instead of saying thank you, Allison says, I don't.
Speaker 1: Have anyone to bring because I broke up with my boyfriend.
Speaker 8: I don't think that's how she said it, though, That's what I felt to me.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: The fact that Allison doesn't have like guys knocking down on her desk.
Speaker 3: Well apparently not, although I have an interesting stand a roommate. So Lucy suggests taking someone from the office. Allison suggests Danny Baker in accounting. She doesn't think he knows Alison exists. So side note. Danny Baker is played by Larry Poindexter, who not only has been in every show, like if you watch every series you've ever seen, Larry's in it. I dated him, did I dated him in real life? I did before before I kind.
Speaker 1: Of remember going to Yamashiro, remember that Jeffa's restaurant. We lived in the same neighborhood.
Speaker 3: I met him at a party, and I remember that he and I were both wearing blue jeans and black T shirts. And we dated for a little while, and constantly one of us would have to change because we'd be wearing the same things. That's what I remember about Larry. Very funny, very charming. I don't know why we broke up, but we're clearly not still dating. So something happened, but super friendly. It wasn't dramatics, and you.
Speaker 2: Don't remember anything awkward on set shooting this, No, nothing to see friendly.
Speaker 3: I think we dated. It was light dating, it wasn't anything really serious. But so he rejected me. Here, I just want to make it clear that in real life he did go out.
Speaker 8: With me, and then I rejected these defense.
Speaker 3: I just want to make that little bit so very funny line. So she asked him and he says, oh, I'm sorry, I'm going with someone else. And he says, but I'm very flattered Eleanor.
Speaker 7: And I thought that did you guys notice like there was a music cue on your reaction that we did so good? There was it like ding and as you go, you know, I just it was perfectly timed with the look on your face of insult.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so funny, just horrifying.
Speaker 5: And you played at Gray Courtney. You didn't do your like, you didn't do like a typical look.
Speaker 2: You know, you just kind of like looked at him and just kept then you just turned yeah, well sifly turns to.
Speaker 6: Go yeah, it didn't work.
Speaker 1: Oh, so brutal. You didn't see me.
Speaker 9: I believe me, Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know Are You a Charlotte? In nineteen ninety seven, my life was forever changed when I took on the role of Charlotte Yorke on a new HBO show called Sex.
Speaker 8: And the City.
Speaker 9: As we watched Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte navigate relationships in New York City, the show helped push once unacceptable conversation topics out of the shadows and altered the narrative around women and sex. We all saw ourselves in them as they searched for fulfillment in life.
Speaker 8: Sex and friendships. Now I want to connect with you and.
Speaker 9: Share untold stories and all the behind the scenes together.
Speaker 1: With special guests.
Speaker 9: What will begin with Sex and the City will evolve into talks about themes that are still so relevant today. Are You a Charlotte is a much more than just rewatching our beloved show.
Speaker 5: It brings the past and the.
Speaker 9: Present together as we talk with heart, humor, and of.
Speaker 8: Course some optimism.
Speaker 9: Listen to Are You a Charlotte on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: We're back in Michael's apartment. Michael is reading in bed.
Speaker 3: When Jane comes home, Michael tays Jane that Sydney rented a movie but he didn't want to disturb her. Jane thanks Michael for taking Sydney out. He says the first time he and Sydney actually got along, and he tells Jane that they need to know when Sydney is going to leave, because apparently he's already.
Speaker 8: We had a nice time.
Speaker 1: Get her out, Yeah, super lover. Can she leave right away?
Speaker 3: And he tells Jane that Sydney is jealous of her and that he thinks her parents played favorites, and Jane says that her parents didn't give Jane the nickname Sydney did, so a little more insight into the character. She goes into the living room and Sydney is trying to get the pull out bed from the couch. Jane helps Sidney open the bed and put the sheets on a little bit of physical comedy, which.
Speaker 6: Right very good.
Speaker 1: It was very yeah, also the pullout couch like those things.
Speaker 3: So Jane asked Sydney kind of what she's going to do, like maybe does she have some plans like maybe to leave?
Speaker 1: And Sydney said, you could stay with Jamie and Michael. Well she gets her act together, which, even to the audience, we already.
Speaker 3: Know is that really going to happen? And Jane tells Sydney Sydney can stay as long as she likes.
Speaker 1: Did you guys all kind of go oh no, yeah, yeah, for boundaries.
Speaker 6: I was gonna save Jane. Let's get some boundaries. Yeah, she's now, everything's like, sure, no problem, of course, that's as.
Speaker 8: Long as you want, yeah, she Sidney pulls out the sympathy.
Speaker 7: Well, I just couldn't make any friends and I filled out all my classes.
Speaker 8: And the way you.
Speaker 6: Play, it's so vulnerable, you know what I mean, it's just for me.
Speaker 8: Sympathy for sid Yeah, but I don't empathize with me.
Speaker 6: Why we like, I feel like I don't know, maybe it's it's coming from a different place, but I feel like I I can see that pain inside juice as a character of you know, or your purposely playing it, but inside in the eyes and like almost sounds like something you're gonna cry, but you don't. Like it's really really beautiful. And I'm just saying that because that's what secks Jane in every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well sex Jane in and she gives Sydney a big hug, and the cameras he was in on Jane's face and her smile fades to a look of concern.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well that was weird.
Speaker 6: I've watched it. I had to rewind it because I was like, you know when they say like, okay, more, you know, worse a little bit ns and eyes up, and so I was like like, like, this is it's not like expression.
Speaker 5: You have to sell the worry. Do you guys have any memories of doing that scene or do you even remember it?
Speaker 6: It was I actually do. I didn't until I watched it, but we'll get there. But when she's actually in that pull out bed and we have the scene, yeah, I just love that.
Speaker 7: I do remember because you know, when we're shooting scenes that take place in the same room, like in that living room in the ploub but we would shoot them back to back, right because that's when the crew is all set up and the camera's there. So this scene where she's pulling out the bed and then the later scenes that also take place in the living room were all shot on the same day, and I remember, like, I mean, I have a distinct memory of these scenes, and I felt like Josie, you and I were establishing our sister relationship and our friendship sort of off camera. It felt like, oh, let's play around with this, let's find out, you know what this can be, these sisters and whatever. And I just felt like there was such an open willingness and friendship from you to have this new relationship on the show and then just to be like my friend off camera too. I just felt so embraced and welcomed. And I also distinctly reminder with all the smoking that Sydney was, you know, scripted to do. I was like, just okay, keep keep doing this to make sure make sure the audience knows Sydney's a smoker. So we got it. But Mary Donner, who was our script supervisor, came up to me at a certain point. She's like, okay, so when we cut in for the overs and then the close ups, you're going to need to match what you did in the master, which is a wide shot. And she's like, so here's where he smoked, and here's where he smoked, and here's where he smoked.
Speaker 8: Match that for the edit. And I was like, what, what, what's matching?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Oh I didn't know.
Speaker 1: So of course not.
Speaker 6: I know, yeah, I had to learn that too.
Speaker 7: I was coming from a place where tons of you know, acting classes, acting school, lots of you know, I've been on a stage and theater, but.
Speaker 8: This camera concept of matching was fresh to me.
Speaker 7: And I was like, drop the smoking, immediately, stop doing these things that you have to mat I.
Speaker 6: Know, for a while, I was like, I don't think I want to eat in this scene because I don't want to think about what I took the bite because I can't remember my lines anyway, So.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you know, and that's why we just pushed food around. If you ever made yeah, right, you don't want to take a bite a hundred times, don't actually any movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 7: The look on Mary's face and I said yeah when I said what's matching? And Mary is this lovely Southern woman and she just went, oh lordy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She had to teach a lot of people. But I think that what you guys did in the scene your chemistry because you were only you were going to be two episodes, right, Laura. So this is why, like they saw, oh, this is magic in a bottle.
Speaker 3: That's why they brought you back. The connection is so authentic and.
Speaker 6: I think Laura's character. I was just we needed that on the show.
Speaker 3: You the beginning of it, getting one more crazy. Okay, so we're back in billion Alison's apartment. Allison is horrified because she made a fool out of herself. She doesn't want to go to work, and Billy says he can't go to the thing with her this weekend because he has the Martin McAfee screenwriting seminar. But he suggests that he has a buddy who just woke up with his girlfriend and the three of them will go out for a drink.
Speaker 1: Allison agrees and leaves for.
Speaker 3: Work, which is very sweet of Billy to offer to set her up on a date.
Speaker 1: What could possibly go wrong? So, but he does call her Eleanor as she leaves the scene.
Speaker 6: It's so cute Bay Salt. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's the delivery of that was so good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Help. So then we're back in the courtyard.
Speaker 3: Jake is trying to leave his apartment when he walks by Joe trying to remove her name from the mailbox. Jake tells Joe that she's taking the privacy thing too far, but Joe hands him a letter from her husband and she doesn't know how he found her. Jake takes the letter from Joe, writes address the unknown, puts it back in the mailbox. Then he asked Joe to stop by the bike shop, and then he has a surprise for her. Joseps knows she's had enough surprises for the day, but Jake insists and says he will see Joe at noon.
Speaker 5: Jake's just like, oh, I got this covered. I'll take care of this, yeah, addressing boom boom, Yeah, taking care of him. You're so good at that.
Speaker 1: I'll come to the bike shop.
Speaker 7: But you can see that Joe is truly scared, knowing that he's found her there, and she's she's got legitimate fear about it, and he's like, I got this, I'll help you and I'll.
Speaker 8: Take care of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as if he can. So then we're back at Jane and Michael's apartment and Jane is getting her lunch ready, when, while Michael reads the paper, my brown bag sack lunch, Yeah you right, Jane ask what she should say about Sidney if her parents call, and then Michael ass why is it that every time you get involved with Sydney you end up doing things you regret, so the red flags.
Speaker 5: Are telling line huh.
Speaker 1: And Jane says because.
Speaker 3: She is a nice sister, which she is, and then Sydney walks in wearing a sparkly belt yeah, compliments Jane on her dress. Jane explains that her boss kne notices what she wears, and Sydney tells Jane that she would love to see what it's like at the studio. So she says, maybe sometimes fashionable.
Speaker 5: I look so fashionable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a coincidence's.
Speaker 5: Going on in your life?
Speaker 6: At your job?
Speaker 3: And Sydney asked, you can go to work, but Jane says, you know, no, I'm new and then she says maybe she can visit the hospital with Michael, like it's a hospital, you lunatic, and he's.
Speaker 8: Like, he gives her the love. Don't you dare say to that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So then our sweet sweet Jane says, okay, you can come for work. Sydney grabs her jacket, and we're left with the feeling of what could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 7: And also just to note, like I don't think we talked about this. The title of this episode A Single White Sister, which is the teak on the movie that Jennifer, Jason Lee, Fonda, Yeah, Bridgetpond and where one she's a roommate who moved in and sort of tries to assume the other girl's life and she sort of takes over. So it's you know, the titles of our episode usually are it.
Speaker 2: Kind of shows how they in their mind they already already know you were hired for just a few episodes, but they knew within that arc they were gonna, you know, really make you come.
Speaker 5: And it's all based on that movie.
Speaker 1: What was that movie you gouts female?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: What was that based on?
Speaker 6: Remember, Jennifer Jason Lee?
Speaker 8: Or was that I'm back in the forties.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it was Betty Davis.
Speaker 5: Okay, fans? What about Yeah? Solid about Eve? Yeah about Eve? That's similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did an episode of a TV SHOWLD all about Alison.
Speaker 1: So it's all coming around.
Speaker 7: All kind of and it's really informative. So as an actor, to read the title and you go, Okay.
Speaker 1: Joe's at the bike.
Speaker 3: Shop, admiring Jake's new motorcycle, which apparently isn't a girl bike anymore. Just as I love it, When can I take it out? Joe tells Jake to Jeski back. She's still work In the photos from the beach, Jake walks you over to this price and unveils his old bike, tells Joe that it's a gift for her.
Speaker 1: Now it's yours. Yeah, you know sweet.
Speaker 2: When I was watching this, I remember that this is when I was starting to ride with Grant on these weekend bike of thons that you know.
Speaker 4: About, specifically that weekends, yeah, the only one and just getting you back for the dinner party thing that I never got.
Speaker 2: But anyway, calendars just a little behind the scenes. So I have a couple of pictures of that scene back on the on the beach that we shot the first one because I remember the jacket. So I have a couple of polaroids that I'm gonna post.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: But then there's one of Ike, who was this guy of our trans bo.
Speaker 2: He used to go with us and ride bikes and and he was.
Speaker 5: Such a darling man.
Speaker 1: That's a great guy, all.
Speaker 2: These tattoos in the heart of Gold, and I'm going to post a picture of him.
Speaker 5: I have two from the beach thing.
Speaker 2: But little behind the scenes here in this scene. He's an extra in it, so you see him in the back.
Speaker 5: Did you notice him?
Speaker 6: Yesnytail back here like, oh, I have to watch that again. I had to be some crew back there.
Speaker 1: When he's like always yeah, always right. So back to the scene.
Speaker 3: So Jake gives her a bike, and all the girls and yours, Oh my god, we're swooning. And Joe of course tells Jake she can't accept the motorcycle, kisses.
Speaker 1: Him on the cheek, thanks him for the thought and least. Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, poor Jake.
Speaker 3: So now we're back at k Beacon Design studio. Jane is working on the designs while Sydney watches next to her. Sidney notices k Beacon and mentions to Jane, look, it's her. Kay walks over to Jane gives her some notes on color, asking for something the forest green range. Nothing in the egg plant shade, which you've been so into lately. We all noticed that, Jess. Yeah, yeah, I was super into egg plant that.
Speaker 5: I will say that forst green.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jane introduces Sydney to Kay.
Speaker 3: Sidney tells Kay that the work is so fascinating and I'm starting to get like nervous in my stomach. I'm like, oh, dear, I know, Kay, Sidney, She's interested in design. Sidney says, yes, it's a hobby. Introduce all the fashion magazines, to which Kay tells her that she has an eye and asks her to go get some magazines. Kay says to Sydney, I like your belt. I think it's great, then gives her the money to get the magazines. Kay looks at Jane, telling her that Sydney is cute, and Jane gives Kay a fake smile. Jane doesn't give them any fake smiles.
Speaker 7: Well, you can see that Jane was very surprised to learn that Sydney is interested in.
Speaker 8: That seemed new. That was the new information that all of a sudden.
Speaker 6: Right right, the very thing that it.
Speaker 3: Keeps going that Jane is wanted to do her entire life. She was probably a little girl doing paper dolls, and suddenly, right, Kidney's interested.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 6: Interesting, of course.
Speaker 3: But now we're back at Jane and Michael's and they're eating pizza. Well, Sydney is telling them how KB can give her a three hundred dollar necklace, which is thousand dollars in today's money.
Speaker 8: Right, thank you.
Speaker 7: I did notice that this was another moment where Sidney walks into the kitchen and places her doc Martins onto the dining room.
Speaker 5: Just the shoes, Just the shoes.
Speaker 6: You did I miss that?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Michael pushes them, removes them from the table, one them on the floor.
Speaker 3: Sidney tells Michael, home nice k was, and it's asking about her family and what Jane was like growing up, and then Sidney tells Jane that she has a perfect boss. Michael says, what else do you expect from Jane? Did you feel like they were ganging up.
Speaker 1: On your jests?
Speaker 5: Yes, it's starting to shift. It's pissing off.
Speaker 6: And even in the beginning when they have the when they go to breakfast or whatever together, yes, And he's like, she's insecure, like what has been? Does that? Like he was saying about her witnesses, I had an annoying brother too.
Speaker 5: Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: She's like, my sister's so perfect and annoying And he's like, I had an annoying, perfect brother too, Right, they.
Speaker 6: Were bonding bonding over it interesting? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then Laura plays it so naturally like it's just this part of her.
Speaker 5: It's not like this malicious thing.
Speaker 2: It's just exactly you're just oh, you know, it's creepy, creepy.
Speaker 6: Because like the vulner the real vulnerability, like you, when you do that, it brings it just to all these different dimensions of like you're not just this brat, this entitled.
Speaker 7: Brat, right, I mean I had to believe that Sydney really was all those insecure things that Wasn't you know that the feelings is what drives her action, you know, so like the feelings are real.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 3: That's why it's better to have you play it, because you're so authentic, so that that's always underneath all of it, right, so that our heart breaks for you. We have compassion, but you didn't have compassion for Sydney.
Speaker 6: You didn't like the character.
Speaker 1: Right, we have to have compassion.
Speaker 3: So the phone rings and it is Jane and Sydney's mom, and Sydney is mouthing I'm not here. So Jane lies and tells her mother that Sydney mentioned visiting a college friend for Winter Carnival and tells her not to worry. Michael looks at Jane, throws his napkin down on the table, and leaves the room.
Speaker 5: She only lies because they walked up to her. Yes, no, and there's that innocent face.
Speaker 6: But it's so interesting about this scene. And I watched this a couple of times too, because I you have to watch it again to know what I'm saying. But I Jane changes her voice changes with when she's on the phone with her mom to more of a little girl, and she is lying for Sydney. My guest, this probably does it all the time, had done it as an older sister, and fell right back into that. And maybe that's kind of why Michael's like you do. Think she makes you do things you don't that aren't maybe authentic to who Jane is that loves her and has protected Sydney her whole life. Yeah, it was interesting to hear my voice change like that. It wasn't even a conscious choice.
Speaker 5: Oh cool.
Speaker 7: Oh that's very sweet for you to have just learned that you have a sister at all. Liked the idea of what this relationship was, and I love that this is new to both of us. Let's go, Yeah, I love its kind.
Speaker 2: Of harder jobs are people all of a sudden You wake up in one morning and there's a sister you.
Speaker 1: Have just trying to steal your job.
Speaker 8: But okay, we already had history.
Speaker 3: We have history, so now we're back in Ronda's apartment and she's with Matt. She opens a box of feeling a navy dress, which is the one that you'd seen in the store window. Ronda says she's feeling smothered by Terrence, and Matt says he's treating her well and that maybe it's time to end their lonely Saturday nights watching old romantic movies.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking, what's Matt's going to do now?
Speaker 6: I was like, Oh, we're gonna do poor man.
Speaker 3: Ronda says it's a little terrifying, and Matt tells Ronde if it wasn't terrifying, it wouldn't be love. So he's kind of telling her to ignore the red flags, which, you know whatever, He's a romantic.
Speaker 1: So now we're back in Jane and.
Speaker 3: Michael's apartment and Sydney's on the pull out couch when Jane walks in, telling her good night. Sidney thanks Jane for lying about her being there, and she knows it's hard for Jane to lie, but she says, now you know I went through all those times, and Jane tells Sidney that she made lying look easy.
Speaker 1: When Jane there's a little edge to Jane. God I was like, good for you, Jane. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sydney explains to Jane that lying kind of makes you hate yourself and that one day their parents will be proud of her, and this is so sweet. Jane gets into bed under the covers and recounts a funny memory of the two of them from their summerhouse of the lake in Michigan, which was so right. Really, that's what I'm saying, So much history in these short scenes.
Speaker 5: That was a great scene that really crackled. You know, you're laughing, you guys remembering it. You could really see it that you guys were there.
Speaker 3: It was great, great, And then once are super bonded and we're all numb, numb, nummy. Sidney tells Jane that she needs direction, and she finally knows what she wants to do. Guess what she wants to do, Guys, I know that Laura.
Speaker 8: I want to be exactly what you're going.
Speaker 5: To be, not because of you. I don't expect you to give me a job. Just look at my own job.
Speaker 1: That is shocking. And Jane has a great idea, Hey, maybe why don't you want to finish school, but Sydney says.
Speaker 3: No, she she wants to do, and she says something about, you know, it's easy to get along here on Little, like apparently La was very different then, because that is an easy place to get along on Little.
Speaker 8: And she insists this time she's not going to fail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be different this time, right, ye one thing, I know it'll be different this time.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna mow you over, but I'm not going because making it in Elle is simple.
Speaker 1: Super easy, super easy. So we're back at k Beacon Design Studios.
Speaker 3: Kay is working with Jane on her design and says she was actually right about the eggflant color, so victory for Jane, and all of a sudden, Sydney walks in with her red beret and her leather jacket, carrying a box of donuts. She's just here to be nice and offer up donuts. Jane moves the box because she puts him down on her design.
Speaker 8: Excuse me, at least it wasn't the boots.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 3: And she has Kay's favorite chocolate and Kay mentions they go better with milk, so Sydney says she will get some milk, and then Jane tells Sidney she should be out sight seeing, but Sydney says that she likes running errands for k.
Speaker 1: The lines are blurring.
Speaker 3: Jane tells Sidney not to get the impression that she has there's a job there. Sydney walks away, and we are left feeling vaguely uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: Okay, I right.
Speaker 1: We're back in the courtyard.
Speaker 3: Jake is getting on his bike in the court air when Joe comes running down the stairs. Joe tells Jake the photos came out great. Joe asked Jake if he wants to see them. Jake says pass. Joe tells Jake that she can't accept something from him without, I mean something to give back. She says it's too much pressure. Jake tells Joe that he doesn't want anything from her and that he's not her husband. Oh, he's so trying to get her to see him as who he is, which is just genuinely wonderful guy.
Speaker 1: Right, It's so sweet.
Speaker 3: So then we're back at Shooters and Billy and Allison are walking to the table at Shooters. Alison doesn't want to be there. She can't believe she let him talk him into it. She'll only stay for two drinks, and then she sees Tom she's.
Speaker 5: Sort of.
Speaker 1: Everything changes. Tom is a door. Doest me go back and see? Like what his name is?
Speaker 3: He's so adorable, he's one of those Watkins and Ted Watkins absolutely adorable. Yeah, yeah, adorable casting And she sits down right next to him and they start chatting away. He's satting to be aware at UCLA, he's in the DA's office. Tom as Allison what she does. Billy answers for Allison because he's trying to get his way in there. Tom says that sounds great. Tom and Allison smile at each other, and Billy doesn't look happy.
Speaker 8: I love this idea.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is a bad idea now what him thinking.
Speaker 5: Was going to happen?
Speaker 2: I just want to know, Like he's suddenly like no I did I had?
Speaker 5: This isn't working.
Speaker 8: What did he think was going to happen there? His handsome friend Tuck Watkins was.
Speaker 6: Going to be like you gross, like she's you know, guys might not think of another guy as super handsome. And he also probably was realizing like all his feelings were coming up seeing her with someone Else's probably so much going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they seem Alison and Billy are not so smart even though it's weird obviously sleeping together off camera, but we don't. The camera start rolling obvious super stupid, and we forget about so. Back at k Beacon Design studio at night, Jane is working late. Sydney walks into a cigarette, of course, but careful not to smoke constantly because you'll have to match it. Tells Jane that she needs to leave work. Sidney says, they have some serious praying to do at the club Flaming Colossus, which is such a great club name.
Speaker 1: Jane can't leave.
Speaker 5: We did have one like that. I think that was a real name, doesn't really.
Speaker 2: I used to go to these clubs all the time downtown. They've been in different places, powerhouse.
Speaker 5: I can't even think of them there all. I think that something like that.
Speaker 1: I remember, did you go with your motorcycle riding friends? Is that probably?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But didn't hear about it. That's funny.
Speaker 3: Sidney tells Jane not to be such a dwep. We have lowdeb mind, sir. It's Friday night, Sidney says. Kay is cool. Jane tells d that Kate is her boss, trying desperately to like bring her down a bit. Kate comes to the door until Sydney they are leaving.
Speaker 8: Wants it.
Speaker 3: H So Jane watches Sydney and her boss go out partying just late work.
Speaker 8: But wearing red tights.
Speaker 6: I will add, yes, popped right straight on your head, like it's just a little little little mushroom girl.
Speaker 2: First of the first beret sighting, actually, yeah, we're starting to see a lot of these.
Speaker 1: Fashion talked about that beret.
Speaker 6: Actually, I love that.
Speaker 7: I love that Josie noticed that it was perfectly square on the top of.
Speaker 6: Yeah a little. It's so good that it was, yes, because you look like you're trying so hard.
Speaker 7: Or like in retrospect, I wonder was that a matching thing, like, oh, let's not like this way, we won't have to match it if we don't pick a side, or if we don't have to remember which side it's. Yeah, I don't know, Hockley square, it'll always match.
Speaker 3: My guests were so new and you were Costumer's dream because you look great in anything, and I bet she could put it. You were like, okay, okay, okay, So she got to really have fun with you.
Speaker 1: Is that what you remember?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: I definitely was game for whatever, and I thought it was super fun to dress for the character. You know, it wasn't It wasn't about me at all. It wasn't my, but I did. The leather jacket was mine. And I think I've told that story before that that was the leather jacket that I'd worn in my audition, that Aaron Spelling said keep the jacket, and so.
Speaker 8: Sydney wears it in every scene.
Speaker 1: And exactly it's good.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 9: I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte. In nineteen ninety seven, my life was forever changed when I took on the role of Charlotte York on a new HBO show called Sex and the City. As we watched Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte navigate relationships in New York City, the show helped push once unacceptable conversation topics out of the shadows and altered the narrative around women and sex. We all saw ourselves in them as they searched for fulfillment in life, sex and friendships. Now I want to connect with you and share untold stories and all the behind the scenes together with special guests. What will begin with Sex and the City will evolve into talks about themes that are still so relevant today. Are You a Charlotte is a much more than just rewatching our beloved show. It brings the past and the present together as we talk with heart, humor, and of course some optimism. Listen to Are You a Charlotte on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: All right, so we're back in Shooters.
Speaker 3: Tom and Allison are laughing and engaging conversations. So I was watching this again while I was blow drying my hair, so I had the subtitles on and when I laugh, which my laugh goes ha ha ha ha.
Speaker 5: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: In a row, I was like, yeah, that sounds right. So Tom compliments Alison eyes and Billy.
Speaker 1: Goes, whoa, look, we gotta go funny.
Speaker 3: Tom has to be early for court, but they're not slowing down, and Alison's about to ask him about for Saturday night when Billy suddenly says, oh, no, I like the stove one. Yeah, so adorable and grabs Alison and drags her out. As you're walking out, Alison asked him what his problem is, but Billy says he started to feel weird, like he doesn't really know why, and he didn't, but he does say he didn't realize how it would make him feel to have one of his friends, which is really honest.
Speaker 6: Yes, I love how Andrew plays Billy. I'm noticing it now more than ever. But just he just says stuff and just and I think it's kind of who he is as well as a person open, very open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so charming image.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's so so charmingly. She won't date his friends and she won't go to the advertising thing.
Speaker 1: Fine, she says, she can't, fine do that.
Speaker 8: Fine.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 3: So then we're at this very fancy dinner party with Ronda and Terence and it's very fancy and they're talking about the symphony and how out of How out of Overture is so overplayed well, in its defense, it was written in.
Speaker 1: Eighteen twelve, so it's been played quite but it's had a long time to get over played.
Speaker 3: Denise says that this generation is in a cultural famine, and Ronda says there are real famines to worry about, which is she's bringing sort of, She's trying to keep it real in this group of very, very fancy people. And when he asked, when Denise says, Ronda, what she does? Terrence talks over her and says that Mironda is a dancer and she's between companies and considering her options. Ronda corrects Terrence until Denise that she teaches hip hop's hip hop hip hops.
Speaker 1: That's the uncle Liam teaches hip hop.
Speaker 3: And Denise looks at the other guests and says, my point exactly.
Speaker 1: Do we hate Denise?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 8: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yes, we hate Denise super very predicious.
Speaker 3: Yes. So then we're back at Ronda's that night, and Ronda is mad, obviously, and Terrence asks her what's wrong, and she says, why did you feel like you had to lie about her?
Speaker 1: Terrence says, Ronda, her brother hurt.
Speaker 3: Somebody really cares about her, rather than risping her herself again, putting it on her, even though he's the one who lied for her and actually made her feel ashamed.
Speaker 1: Although she didn't take it on.
Speaker 3: She agrees, opens the door and says good night, Terrence, and Terrence leaves.
Speaker 1: She's really like it.
Speaker 6: Was great and that yeah, strong, isn't she very strong? Really strong?
Speaker 1: She didn't get intimidated.
Speaker 3: She realized they were potentially I have to say at that age in that position, I would have been intimidated, like yeah said what he said?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Or nothing, say nothing?
Speaker 6: And you know, yes, yeah, she's that fantastic. It's great.
Speaker 1: Now we're back at Jake's apartment and this hello. Jake is sitting on the.
Speaker 3: Couch and opens a book of poems that Joe had mentioned and starts reading, and I'm like, oh my god, Grant Show is reading poetry on the couch.
Speaker 6: It was such a sweet scene.
Speaker 3: And then a million girls sighed at the same time. Right, yeah, right, Now we're back at Jane and Michael's apartment. Sydney came into the apartment after a night at the club. Sydney tells Jane she has had the best time, and Jane tells Sidney it's late and she was worried sick about her because now she feels like the mom of her crazy sister.
Speaker 1: Sidney tells jan.
Speaker 3: To lighten up, and that's just the most incredible thing to tell her. And the thing is, Jane says, Sidney is going to ruin everything that Jane has been working toward. Sidney says she was only trying to help, and Jane tells Sidney not to worry about herself. Jane leaves the room and slams the door. So Sydney is, I've gotten her incredible news out, but we I'm like this feeling of dread.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we're in Joe's apartment this scene, I'm still thinking about it. Joe answers a knock at her apartment door and Jake slash Grant is standing there in a beige Kashmir sweater with a crew neck t so hello, yeah, and starts reciting poetry The Dance by William Carlos Williams.
Speaker 6: It was beautiful memories. Yeah, it was great, super smoad.
Speaker 5: That would you call that oatmeal v next Kashmir?
Speaker 2: But it was a waffle textured T shirt, like a like a one of those like a flannel or something, but the waffle textra kind of like underneath.
Speaker 5: And you're just, I mean, so Denise wingate our costumers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Trying to leave that, but it's right there with him.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so he recites this beautiful poem and then I look to measure poetry in dollars, and that Joe gave him something you can't put a price on. Joe closes the door and admits that she loves the bike and excitedly tells Jake that she wants to show him the photos from the beach when the phone rings. So just as we think, oh sweet, it's gonna be yummy, you know, okay, Joe picks up the phone and says how did you get this number? In a tone of voice that we know there's something wrong, and she warns to call her never to call again, and then she tells Jake that it was her husband on the phone. Oh, he ruins everything right, Ull, Yes, yes, he's here. So then we're back at Billy and Alison's apartment. Allison is writing a check at her desk when Billy walks in with the paper. Alison ignores him. He apologizes and says, we'd like to make it up to Allison. Allison says, don't bother because she's Alison. Billy says he called the writing eminar and forfeited his deposit to take Alis into the advertising ball and she asks him why he would do that, and Billy replies that's what friends do, and we're all thinking friends, yeah, right, and then Alison smiles and thanks Billy.
Speaker 1: Billy so he always always comes through in the end.
Speaker 3: Now, We're back in Jane and Michael's apartment in the morning, Jane and Michael getting ready for work.
Speaker 1: Michael is asking how long this will go on?
Speaker 8: How much long?
Speaker 1: Jane again, can't just throw Sidney out again? This is his main line in this story.
Speaker 5: He just wants her out And I'm like, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know.
Speaker 3: And Jane says she can't imagine that Sydney will stay much longer After what she said, Jane walks out of the kitchen. Sidney is drinking juice out of the curtain.
Speaker 1: Because of course she is. You do because as you do in someone else's home.
Speaker 3: Jane what her planned for the day is. Sydney retorts that she's going to figure out a way to help herself. Jane says fine and walk out. Now we're in the Cave Beacon design suit and Jane is presenting her work to Kay in her office. Kay praises Jane for her work and asks where Sydney is. Jane tells her that she doesn't think Sydney is coming into the office today. Kay says that Sydney idolizes Jane and wants to be like her. Kay tells Jane not to worried about Sidney, she will land on her feet. Just then, Sidney walks into the office with a box of donuts brings them over to Kay and Jane. Jane asked what Sidney is doing their Sydney tells Jane that Kay hired her as her personal assistant while they were at the club. So, I guess you know what Sidney Jane last night?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't like that.
Speaker 5: That a betrayal. You guys are talking, She comes up talking about it. Oh, I know what you mean, a younger sister. It's annoying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then turns around and hire and then tells me she hired her.
Speaker 5: If it's okay with you.
Speaker 6: It's the first thing.
Speaker 3: Jane is so good, does all the right things. Her boss and Sydney are against her, her husband. It's like everywhere you feel left out of these little thing.
Speaker 6: That happens when you don't have boundaries, though, I think you get.
Speaker 1: Walked true so true.
Speaker 7: Then, like Kay, Kay reveals that she can really relate, like you know, Jane is saying, well, how do you know so much? And we kind of see that Kay is alluding to the idea that that's her personality too, Like, well, I I sympathize with that because I am that too, And I don't know did anybody this was the first appearance of leopard print on notice that I think for for Sidney, that asymmetrical skirt in this in this entrance strange.
Speaker 5: It looked like a carpet.
Speaker 6: It was a good choice skirt triangle.
Speaker 8: I think it was a Christmas choice skirt.
Speaker 7: And then I think it's so adorable.
Speaker 3: And then Sydney walks away and Kay tells Jane, only if it's okay with you, of course, completely insincere and such ab so from possibly aggressively says totally, it's fine.
Speaker 6: It's fine, everything's fine.
Speaker 1: It's fine. I'm not going to eat a chocolate cake on my way.
Speaker 5: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: I find it's like, you know, you want to say to the actors, well was that?
Speaker 5: Did it bother you to play it that way?
Speaker 2: And you're like, I just got married, I had, I got a job.
Speaker 5: I'm saying the lines. What's no, I didn't have a problem with it? Is that how you felt?
Speaker 6: I guess I was. I started looking back at how Yeah, they were like talking about my back. Now they're talking I just didn't you know, it's it's all new and in general, God, like I was watching when I've been watching the shows, like I wish we could go back and play it again with what we know now and who we are, I would do so much different. But it is yeah, yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 7: It's also like I we were you and I as Laura and Josie, we were like busy being friends, like we were two actors becoming friends off camera, right, and then it's like okay, and here's the scene that we play, and it was just sort of like I just remember that feeling of like oh my gosh, it's so crazy, like I'm I'm this manipulative person and cut okay, and then we just sort of go back to like this normal like friendship and relationship and then the comer's role and we have these scenes where like somebody's being mean and somebody's being.
Speaker 8: Hurt, and then cut and you drop it and you kind.
Speaker 6: Of yeah, I didn't always feel that. I think like when you feel as an actress, really feel secure about how you're going to play, your choices, your intentions and a scene, then then like I'll speak for myself and I have the ability to after cut, like okay, let's go get some from craft service or whatever. But if I don't feel, you know, that uneasy feeling, like I know I'm not playing this right, but I don't know why I don't doesn't feel then when we cut, I can't. I have to stay in it and keep trying to figure it out. I feel like I did that quite a bit in the beginning of like, how do I find the balance of this character is getting walked on all the time? Yeah, I was just also me growing up too as a person.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it works absolutely wonderfully. I like it because you can't stand up for yourself, like that's not the relationship. And she and Sydney is so manipulative that she gets people on her side. And you would look like a bitch if you said no.
Speaker 1: That's not okay.
Speaker 3: You really didn't have a choice, Like if you said no, you would look like the problem. So you were trapped. I don't think there's any other way to say fine, because what do you do?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: I think you didn't have an option as far as I'm concerned. Okay, So now we're back in Ronda's apartment. Matt is over at Ronda's Ronda's telling Matt that she's been trying to reach Terence all day.
Speaker 1: She's starting to have doubts. Maybe she reacted.
Speaker 3: Then we hear music from the courtyard and Terrence is in front of the pool with an a cappella group performing Since I Fell for You, which got me.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that sweet?
Speaker 2: Such a great and I thought it was shot really well. You know, you're looking out and you see the court heard there's a three gentlemen with their vests on, and yeah, Terence.
Speaker 5: Is just like looking up, this is for you. And they sounded great. I thought they were.
Speaker 1: It was really it was really so.
Speaker 3: Then Ronda goes down to meet him and he proposes, which surprised me. That feels pretty quick. Ronda tells Karence it's happening too fast.
Speaker 1: She doesn't know what to say. She agrees with me. She also thinks that's too fast.
Speaker 3: Karen sells Rondo to say yes, and she says yes, and they are and.
Speaker 7: You see you see Matt sort of swallowing the lump in his throat.
Speaker 3: I know, dog her sweet sweet Doug. So then we're back at Jane and Michael's apartment. Jane and Michael are in bed, Jane is telling Michael about Sydney and Kay and they're weird bond because once again she's on the outs. Jane says, my job, my apartment, what's next, you dum? Michael smells something could be the next episodes, and Jane realizes that Sidney.
Speaker 1: Is smoking in the apartment. Why did that make me more angry than anything?
Speaker 6: It's so rude, It's so more.
Speaker 8: And rude.
Speaker 3: She's smoking a cigarette on the pullout couch and Jane confronts her. Sidney says, she forgot right, she forgot Can I finish this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sidney insincerely tells Janey he will quit if Jane wants, and tells Jane that she loves her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so complicated.
Speaker 3: Of course, Jane tells Sidney that she loves her too, and heads back to bed.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 3: So then our last scene, we're in the courtyard. Jake is leaving his apartment when he sees a man at the mailbox asking about his wife, Beth Reynolds, and.
Speaker 1: We all go oh.
Speaker 3: Jake tells me he's never heard of her and that nobody has moved in or out of the building for years. The man thanks Jake, and leaves. Jake looks up at Joe's apartment door.
Speaker 8: Isn't that jay Zy?
Speaker 2: You think you could have waited till he's a little further away looking up exactly where she was.
Speaker 3: And you know what's interesting about this actor Lyndon Ashby. He played this character for two episodes, then came back in six and seven as Brett.
Speaker 8: Coop, totally different character.
Speaker 1: I was a character for six and seven because isn't that interesting? I knew him? Yeah, Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 3: We end on this is what we're talking about, like it's starting to get more serialized.
Speaker 1: We end on this thing where it.
Speaker 3: Was really hard for me to stop, but I had to stop it because I had to come on for this.
Speaker 1: But I'm dying. I'm dying to get to the next episode.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like and introducing Cliffhangers is I think the thing that that's what Chip was saying too, Like introducing Hangers was the thing that really turned the show into like got to tune.
Speaker 8: In next week and it was and it started building that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So speaking of we have to end because there's always we've gone over. Josie, thank you so much, Gosh.
Speaker 1: It is to have you. Let's do this.
Speaker 6: It was so good to see all of your faces again, and I'm so so happy you're all Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: Wait to see you in person soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope we can do another one right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, we'll do another one. We'll do another one soon. I love you guys, so good to wait to see you in person and hug you all.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 3: Please subscribe wherever you get your podcast, then you get us. We also have a new fifteen minute thing called Melroe's Minute when we catch up, when we do the sort of shot catch up, so you get that automatically if you subscribe, So please make sure.
Speaker 7: You subscribe to miss Thus those are coming out on Fridays.
Speaker 8: And we love you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love you. By guys seeing you all. Love bye bye