Speaker 1: Worrying. Today's episode contains no spoilers. We're gonna talking about TV that's coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be like cash, It's.
Speaker 1: Only casual television conversation. Hello, my name is Jason Cupsale, Adam Rosey Night, and welcome back to x ray Vision of the podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture comedy for by our podcast, we're bing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, plus tes plus news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are gonna be talking about the Apple TV Plus series murder Bot, which is rather charming but bust. We are gonna talk about the most anticipated TV series of the summer and how we are feeling about them.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. Okay, television ever heard of it? Ever heard of it? Peak TV? Listen. We might be towards the end, if not at the end of the peak TV era, transitioning to a different era. What that era will be remains to be seen. But stress tag, lots of stress TV TEVE, lots of great TV coming down the pipe, lots of TV has just left us. We're going to be rating our excitement levels for some upcoming television properties, as well as talking about some of our personal favorites that maybe don't fit into the cookie cutter or a general frame of nerd stuff. But first, let's talk about some of the TV that we've just finished watching that led us to this season, that has led us to this moment of twenty twenty five upcoming television. Let's start with andor, which is great. Guys, it's hey, spoiler alert, it's I think we're both in agreement that this is some of the best Star Wars we've ever seen. No Ques, do you think it enters the conversation of like all time great television? Would you put it in that conversation?
Speaker 3: I think as a whole series, season one, season two together. I think you could hand that off and recommend that to most TV viewers who are not necessarily into specifically sci fi or star wars and say to them, Hey, do you like sopranos, Do you like mad Men? Do you like stories that are about like one person in an unusual situation that you will, you know, follow them on this journey? And do you like political thrillers? Do you like sixties French cinema? I think that you could sell it as a great example of prestige TV. I think it's a little bit of a harder sell because for some people they feel like Star Wars is homework. I don't feel like and or makes you do that. And I do think it can. I do think it will continue to be in the conversations of the best TV shows ever made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if you listen, Star Wars nineteen seventy seven is a New Hope. Is a movie that I feel like, legitimately everyone has seen. I think we all assume that people have seen Star Wars.
Speaker 2: And I think to talk about.
Speaker 1: And I think if you've only seen nineteen seventy seven's a New Hope, or you know the updated the various updated versions, then I think you can go into and or knowing pretty much all you need to know. But I agree with you. I think that it's I don't think it's like a best TV ever conversation show, but I think it's in that second tier of shows where it's an excellent show, like a really excellent show that has a chance to meet a wider audience. Yeah, I agree with you. I think if you put this in front of somebody who's only who only knows Star Wars or even the original trilogy, they'd be like, oh, wow, this is really good, much in the same way that The Penguin is a show that you don't have to be a Batman Family great show to love truly.
Speaker 3: I do think as well that there's an interesting this is the kind of interesting crossover point that we're in now where a lot of the greatest TV shows of all time that you'd see on your Rolling Stone list or your Vultualist have for a long time not necessarily been adapting another IP or expanding it. But we are now in a situation where a lot of the TV where the money is going is coming from adapting or expanding a IP world like comic books or Star Wars or something like that. So I also think that that is a shift. Do people want to be in these worlds or do people want you know, original TV like Mad Men, like The Sopranos that kind of expand on a world in a different way, because you know, nowadays, if they made the Sopranos, it would be a Godfather spin off, which we actually did get, but it was about to make of Godfather. So I think that is an interesting cultural crossroads that we're at and I think for some people it works, for some people it doesn't. But I do think that and Or is one of the best examples of a show like that that we have, and I think it will end up in that If you're doing one hundred best TV shows of all time, I think the next I think it's going to be in that top fifty at the higher end.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, because I'm a big like format and structuring nerd in terms of how we make these decisions, how do you classify a show like and Or, or even The Penguin that is more of a limited It's different than Breaking Bad, which was an ongoing show. It's different than Game of Rounds was an ongoing show. It's more like Chernobyl in that it was a limited series. So how do you do you judge something like and Or The Penguin differently? Do you put it in a different category?
Speaker 3: I think that is a conversation that we're going to have to keep having. And I do think that the fact that award shows already specify and award those shows differently hints that structurally there is something there. But I would also say I do think that it serves those shows well, because say something like The Penguin, where we will likely never get a second season and instead we will get other spinoffs. That is basically a perfect season, Like they don't really make any mistakes. Emotionally, we might have disagreed with some of the choices they make, but then something like Game of Thrones you have to take into consideration the entirety of the show, and then your odds and the kind of consistency of the show, it becomes more questionable. So I think that there is an interesting conversation, and I think that in the era that we're in now, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing those lists where it's like best fifty mini series of all time, you know, best limited series.
Speaker 1: Ye Rosie off the Dome, your top four television shows all time, best hour long prestige TV top four. Okay, don't mean it, Okay, I would mind fucking boring as shit. I mean it's like in no order, here's the ones I watch all the time exactly that. I mean, it's like Succession, dead Wood. Oh, I love that show, Breaking Bad, you know The Wire. That's a very very boring list.
Speaker 3: I think, No, no, no, I think that's really good. I'm definitely I would agree with you. I'm coming in with the Wire is there. I love that show so much. I can go back and rewatch any episodes. I love to tell people to rewatch it.
Speaker 1: I think it is what a mad Men also on the list, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will add for me, I think Better Cool Soul is on there. I think that show is like unbelievable, and I think it shouldn't be good and it's great. It's it's it's so much bad than it should It's got unblievable cast.
Speaker 1: I also Hannibal is on there.
Speaker 3: For me, I think it's kind of unbelievable that that show was made for broadcast TV. And I will say that I do have a newer addition that I think in the future will kind of looked back on as like a contemporary X Files. I'm putting Evil on there. I think the show is like so fucking good, and if you watch it from the beginning, you get from the beginning to the end of that first to the four seasons that they made. It is such a satisfying show. It has a puzzle box mystery that gets solved, it has humor, it has horror. It has like devastating emotional lows and incredible emotional highs. The cast is funny, it's super weird, and it's kind of I think in that Hannibal Slash X Files space, where like it shouldn't have been able to have a crossover like it did, but it did. And if CBS had not moved it to their streaming channel because they wanted to add more people there, it would have continued to be the biggest show on network television, which is what the first season was. And also I think this doesn't even touch on another conversation, which is like streaming, because like some people their favorite show ever is Queen's Gambit, you know, And I think, like for me, if we're talking about and this is kind of recency bias, but like currently I love House of the Dragons so much that that might be like edging out Game of Thrones for me, Like there's so many different conversations to be had, and also what then do you do about show like House of the Dragon which doesn't exist without Game of Thrones?
Speaker 1: So can it really be the better show?
Speaker 3: But I love the version of it that they did, so yeah, I think it's very interesting because Also, we are in an era of high quality, highs capacity, Like there's a lot of TV coming out, a lot of content like for example, Severance.
Speaker 2: I think for a lot of people, it's in the top ten right now, you know.
Speaker 1: I think that it I think it's it's revitalized the puzzle box genre, which I think was kind of moribund recently, or at least a lot it.
Speaker 3: Had been struggling to contain a lot of small season Yes, it was certainly a lot smaller.
Speaker 1: You know, It's like there's been other shows like Dark for instance, that have gone there.
Speaker 3: Yellow Jackets, but also like didn't necessarily deliver or have the same reach.
Speaker 1: Severance has a I mean, it captured the zeitgeist in a way that we haven't seen a show do in a while, and it did it pretty organically.
Speaker 2: It's a huge hit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a huge hit on a you know, shouts to them, they're spending oodles and oodles of money. But really in the in the landscape, a minor streamer, like, not a big platform. So one of the coolest things to watch happened. It was the rise in sudden popular of Severance in the way it took over the conversation is unique. We haven't seen shit like that a little while.
Speaker 3: And also I'm very interested because I can't wait in five years, you know, when I'm brewing, We'll all still be.
Speaker 1: Here, guys.
Speaker 3: But like, does Severance still have that emotional connection to people?
Speaker 2: Do people still see it as one of the best shows of all time? Or was it like uniquely.
Speaker 3: Perfectly made for this moment when everyone's feeling isolated, when everyone's feeling the pressures of capitalism. Like, I'm very interested to kind of see how that goes. But it is interesting to compare something like Severance, which has these two really solid seasons that are very very you know, feels very consistent, feels like quality wise. By the end of it, most people were feeling like, yeah, this is like I'm still in Let's go then to something like Last of Us, where we had first season generally seen as one of I would say, like one of the best TV shows over the last ten years. Season two definitely more in consistent, definitely kind of I would say, there is a lot of annoying this course about it that we've kind of tried to not even take into consideration, but there's also a lot of real conversation.
Speaker 1: About the way it is and isn't working for people. The thing that's fascinating to me about the second season of The Last of Us is this is unquestionably like, objectively, this show is good. It's well made, it's well written, it's well acted, great great costs. But I also think to your point, almost everyone you talk to about it has some level of critique about yeah, the length, the pacing, whatever it may be. And I think that leads to an overall feeling of a show that is was panned more than it really was. Like, again, this is a very good show.
Speaker 3: It's the you've set the bar so high for the first season that it's kind of hard to follow it up.
Speaker 1: It's the it's the.
Speaker 3: Iconic kind of idea of a sophomore slamp or the fear of adapting.
Speaker 2: I also think for our.
Speaker 3: Next TV episode, because I'm realizing we have so many great things to talk about here.
Speaker 1: You both watched we watch too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'm also thinking like about the fact that there is an interesting argument about the time that we are in right now, where fifteen years ago, if you made like a perfect first season of TV, they.
Speaker 1: Might just leave it.
Speaker 2: They might just be like, guys, you adapted the game.
Speaker 1: The game was a massive hit. They might not immediately be like.
Speaker 2: When is season two? When's the adaptation of the game.
Speaker 3: And I think that because of the nature of the way that corporations see R and TV and films and everything under this kind of broad banner of like content, that can sometimes push out these ideas and force a quicker turnaround or a turnaround at all. And I think there's an interesting conversation to talk about there as well, because I also am a fan of like again another thing that we could definitely put us it's own segment. But I love like a perfect season of TV, just one who doesn't know the Watchmen.
Speaker 4: Like, uh, that's one of the biggest the BBC Office, Oh my god, the BBC Office when it like, I agree with you, Watchman is another one perfect season of television.
Speaker 1: Don't do anything else. Those two for me are like, you know, I remember when I first you know on BBC America watch the original BBC Office. I was like, wow, Well.
Speaker 3: Also in England, we didn't know any of the people when it came out, even Rickey Gerbay's was not known, so like it had that great pre internet early Internet kind of Blair Witch almost feeling of like is it real?
Speaker 1: Like is this could this guy be that person? You know?
Speaker 3: And I love like a perfect one season of TV and like, you know, Freaks and Geeks.
Speaker 2: That's another one where I'm just like, I.
Speaker 3: Love that show hy Fidelity. I fucking love that show with Zoe Kravitz. I'm like, Hulu, actually, please do bring that one back, like I've been asking for a long time. But I think it's interesting because I will tell you a show for me that if it didn't have another season that just came out. I think what I would say is a perfect TV season of TV is The Studio and they already announced season two, and I'm like, maybe don't do it, guys, Like this.
Speaker 1: Is so perfect. Folks, if you have not watched The Studio, maybe you don't have Apple TV. Plus, we've talked about how easy it is to get up, very easy. You can get it for free right now, right now. The subscriptions are falling off the back of trucks christ like old school newspaper delivery. It is. It was such a wonderful joy in my weekly television watching schedule. It had been a little while since I had a show that hit that sweet spot for me where I know I wasn't gonna be stressed. Yeah, then a real in a significant way watching I was gonna enjoy it and I was gonna uh laugh and see things that I wasn't gonna see anywhere else. And the studio is like that for me. I at first, I was worried. You know, we live in la we know. You know, I just had a conversation with our mutual friend Kenny, who is you know, a former agent of the businesses like I can't. I was talking to him yesterday and he's like Jason, everybody in the studio, those are like real people. That's what these conversations were us. I was worried, like it was going to be too niche. It's it's just so much fun, and it's fun in a curb your enthusiasm way where you're watching a guy and a bunch of people just like step On Rakes in the most entertaining way. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which I think is necessary. And it's got some of the greatest cameos maybe in the history of television already.
Speaker 3: Just the first episode. If you watch that and you see who the big cameo is, who is part of the major plotline of the show. You will go, oh, I understand, like this is a different level of there is a conversation clearly that was had when they were making this show.
Speaker 2: This is Rosie's fan pic.
Speaker 3: But my general idea, I know people who've sold shows, I know people who have bought shows. I feel like this script was probably going around with you know then that made by Seth Rogan, and I feel like everyone's agent was probably hearing about the show and being like, this is the show you want to get your person into. Because the car, the cameos are amazing. The writing is so good, it's so funny. It is definitely very relatable if you are in LA, but if you're not, it basically is all your expectations of how you think LA is. So I like that it appeals to people there in a way that feels recognizable.
Speaker 2: Our Discord loves it. It is so funny.
Speaker 3: And the way that they build in unbelievable cinematography. Every single shot in the show is a wanner. And there is an episode where the whole episode is Wona and it's called the Wanner and it's about them trying to make a wanna in a film on the same day.
Speaker 2: It's some of the most.
Speaker 3: Technically incredible TV making that you will ever see.
Speaker 1: And it's also a lot of.
Speaker 3: It is done very simply, which I love. I just I was blown away by it. I thought that the final two episodes where they go to cinema kon to bond, it's some of the funniest shit you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And it's also like Babylon and it's like cub your.
Speaker 3: Enthusiasm and it's just so funny, and the costing is incredible, and yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: To me, I would be like, never do a second season.
Speaker 1: But if you can keep up that quality, please do it well, please do it. They are keep proved it, it's happening. Keep throwing money. It's it's good creators, creators like like Rogan, who I think will go down. We've talked about it before, but it's underrated. Actually, the project, the amount of pressure. Okay, do you have any with fames that maybe don't fit into like any of the easy boxes stuff that you've can watch it.
Speaker 3: The really we touched about, We touched on it, We talked about it before the pit I think again That's another show where it's like perfectly mas stress stress that. Honestly, there's episodes of the Studio where I was stressed, but only because I'd been on set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please don't do this.
Speaker 1: I mean. The Pit is a show that we had a rule in the household that like, it's you can't watch it in the hour before bed.
Speaker 3: No, it's you can't, it's.
Speaker 1: The sunlight has to still be in the sky. One we haven't gotten to talk about a.
Speaker 3: Lot that I have been loving and hopefully we'll be doing some cool stuff with then they lead up to San Diego Comic Con, and stuff is Sakamoto Days, which is a Netflix anime about an assassin who falls in love and then becomes like a chubby seven eleven like convenience store owner. It's like a food anime. It's an action anime. The manga is really good, and I just think it's so much fun. Everyone I've recommended it to has loved it, and I think that that it will end up on a few of the best of lists at the end of the year. How about you, Is there any shows we haven't talked about that you've really loved this year?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a big fan of For me TV, everything doesn't need to be the best thing ever. I like I like a I like a well made, watchable show with people I like in it. I really enjoyed Your Friends and Neighbors. It's very much it's very much TV plus Apple TV plus. It's very where Jon Hamm seems to live now. Uh you know, catch him on The Morning Show and other crazy soapy But Your Friends and Neighbors is like a very elevated soap with a hard crime twist towards the end. John ham is wonderful playing with your preconceived notions of him through Madmen and as a pitchman for luxury items like his work with Mercedes, And he's playing with all those those things, and the show is playing with those things too, I think wonderful effect. It's just like a very watchable.
Speaker 3: I love a good well one of the most. I'm a big rewatcher. That's the funniest thing about me doing this job. That's why my first answer to best TV show was fucking Colombo or Annibal, shows that have not been on air for like twenty years at this point. But yeah, I love that pick. I think it's great. I'm a big.
Speaker 2: I think it fits into that kind of like it's not cozy crime, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Stressed t TV.
Speaker 3: If you can enjoy being in this fancy, rich people world, but there's a twist to it that you wouldn't necessarily expect.
Speaker 1: It's like more engaging and smarter than second screen level viewing, but it's not like challenging you in the way that like, you know, a succession or a really high you know, like a high level hour long drama. Is this is streaming's version of an ABC show on a like Thursday night or yeah, yeah, exactly, and it's honestly, yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 3: Again, that great cast, great money from Apple is paying for a quality level that we weren't always getting, and I thought that one was really fun.
Speaker 2: Our Discord also big fan of that show.
Speaker 3: Also, there's tons of great shows on Netflix that fit into that that are kind of like British crime adaptations that they bring over or co productions between the BBC and Netflix where they exist not on Netflix in England, and then they exist things like you know Bodyguard that was an older one.
Speaker 2: But I thought that was really really good.
Speaker 3: I recently watched a great British Oh Obviously we talked about adolescents that is stressed to TV. But what I have been really enjoying is they have been doing co productions with the BBC that are Harlan Coben, the mystery author. They have been adapting his books into mini series and there was a great one I watched called for Me Once, another one called Missing You, and one called Safe and those are very much in that kind of space of like it's gonna hook you, You're gonna want to watch it, but it's not gonna challenge you like Succession the wit and banter is not necessarily gonna be that dense, but you're still gonna be really engaged. And I think that is one of the things I do love about the way streaming is right now is we are getting access.
Speaker 2: To more TV from around the world, more different.
Speaker 3: Kinds of TV, these sub genres and spaces that we would align stuff as happened to us when we were talking about our favorite TV of the year. It's kind of consistently fracturing and growing as like a web. So there's just so many kind of great shows that you can just put on. But honestly, the show I watch most of just murder, she wrote, which is like the funny, but she is so good. It looks good. It's funny, it's not Colombo. I will get too hooked. I can't have that on while I work. Murder, she wrote, I know what Jessica's doing, going somewhere being nosy, causing some murders.
Speaker 1: It looks good.
Speaker 3: She's wearing a cool jumper. I can work while I do it. But even Colombo like it's too eye quality.
Speaker 1: I can't put it.
Speaker 3: On while I work because you just start watching it like to engage.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about our the upcoming shows that we're excited about, which we will rank out of five remote controls. And we're right. Okay, let's start rankings for upcoming television shows. One remote control being completely lacking in any kind of excitement for us. We are not reaching for that remote control. Five remote controls being the maximum excitement. You were going to have to hold me back to keep me from that remote.
Speaker 3: Every single you got the remote for the good speakers, you got the remote. You got all five remotes that you go to because you want to add the best quality.
Speaker 1: Let's start with The Gilded Age Season three of Max HBO. Max's show set in late eighteen hundreds New York during the actual historical Gilded Age, when capitalism is booming, the late Industrial ages booming, and massive amounts of money are pouring into New York City and there are legitimately no laws these people, Yes, what is that culture like? Starring Kerrie Coon, Mortgan Spector, Luisa Jacobson, Christiansky, The Wonderful Christine Baranski. Season three coming up soon. Following the crescendo of the Opera War Ins the season two finale, the old guard of old money New Yorkers, like Christine Baranski's Agnes van Rin and Donna Murphy's Missus Astor, has been weakened, and the Russells carry Coons in Domino, Bertha and Morgan, Spectors, Stowett George standpoise to take their place at the top of society. You're ranking solid.
Speaker 3: This is a solid three out of five for me, not because for me, not because I don't really enjoy the show, which I do, But like we said, we're in so many great there, We're in an era of so much great TV that this is like definitely in the middle. But The quality is great if you really enjoyed Netflix's Bridgeton, but you want a version that is more steeped in like a real historical era and has a little bit more to say, but it's still really soapy and doesn't have as much anachronistic like musical choices and stuff like that. This is a great next step post Bridgington. Not that romance based, but there are little bits of romance. The thing I'm actually most excited about with this is very underrated actor who is a hilarious, hilarious comedic star of the MCU, Leslie Ugghams, who plays Deadpool's blind best friend and roommate blind Out. She is coming in as like a friend of Felicia Richard's character, Elizabeth Kirklin. She's gonna be called missus Ernestine Brown. I am so interested to see her playlist because I think she is a I don't think those dead Pool movies are as popular without her because she's so good. She's so funny, she drops some of the most outrageous lines, and I really want to see her in this kind of prestige TV period peace World, and obviously, who doesn't love Felicia Richard. I want her to have a new friend. But yeah, I'm interested. I mean, what a cast.
Speaker 1: And I would say.
Speaker 3: Also that you know what this is great for if you have like your mom over or your parents over the.
Speaker 1: Family members, this is a great.
Speaker 3: We should watch this while we you know, snack or wait to go out or whatever, you want to watch something in the evening. This is a great family acceptable TV watch.
Speaker 1: I am also going to go with three out of five I agree with you. This is my mom loves things, in her words, that are real stories, which by which she means, you know, set in an actual historical period that aren't things like bridgershin Or They're great, which are kind of only softly set in those esthetically modern set in those periods, but with a lot of more kind of modern speech and production kind of approaches. Yeah, I'm this is a very soapy show, but wonderfully so. And I've just started season one about halfway through, and I'm enjoying it. It's a great show to have on and it's really well done. I'm going to put it at three remote controls up next June twenty fourth on Disney Plus. Iron Heart, the somewhat surprisingly dropping on us in only a few weeks. Iron Heart, set after the events of Black Panther were kind of forever, Marvel Television's Iron Heart pits technology against magic when Rary Williams played by Dominic Thorne, a young genius inventor determined to make her mark on the world, returns to her hometown of Chicago. Her unique take on building iron suits is brilliant, but in pursuit of hair ambitions, she finds herself wrapped up with the mysterious yet charming Parkerk Robbins Ak eight The Hood played by Tomy Ramos. Your remote control rating, I'm giving it a four, hoping.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping that it could be a hopeful, hopeful for We had a great chat with Sam Bailey, one of the directors. I felt like she was just very much on our level, enjoyed the same things that we love about this Ebewing obviously a friend of the pod. We think she's amazing, definitely very heavily influent on this show and her run of the comics are I'm interested to see this version of the Hood played by Anthony Raymos, Like, are they really bringing magic in?
Speaker 2: Is it going to be more that he uses Teka's magic?
Speaker 3: Kind of like we saw with Mysterio in the Sony Spider Man movies. I think there's a lot here that could be really interesting. It's promising to be a little bit darker. It's promising to be a little bit more of that kind of you know, teen to early twenties coming of age, which has been a big critique of the MCU with characters like America Chavez. Yeah, making them a little bit younger, giving them that more classic coming of age. It's gonna be interesting and nice to maybe see a little bit of that messiness. And also, if it's done well, could set us up for where we could see I think that the Tom Holland Spider Man now living on his own in his own apartment in his early twenties, we are going to get more of that messy kind of young adulthood in the MCU going forward. So I think this could be a great spot. I think to Dominique Thorn is amazing. I think she absolutely deserves this show.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm giving it. I'm giving it a solid four because I'm.
Speaker 3: Feeling hopeful and I really do love the character of Iron Hawk.
Speaker 1: I am gonna give it a solid three. I'm like you in my heart I'm a hopeful four. The rollout has me concerned. It's not that not that Disney is trying to necessarily bury the show, but theyre appear to be throwing it out there, kind of like saying, hey, fight, good luck, and I hope you find your audience, but we're not gonna throw a bunch of stuff behind this. So that could either mean that A one, they're trying to avoid all conversations about it. I think that. I think they're trying to avoid early conversations about it, and that either means they are not proud of it or they just don't want to deal with the conversations around it. I'm going to give it a three, but I'm a hopeful four in my heart. Let me quick stop. I realized I should have been reading these the little synopsies, So I'm gonna read this and put this in my preamble before Rosie starts talking. All right. Up next June twenty fifth, on Hulu, it's season four of The Bear. How are they making it so quickly? I gotta say, it feels to me. I was about to say, it feels like The Bear is legitimately always on television. Here's the synopsis. With new challenges around every corner, the team must adapt, adjust, and overcome. Yes, Yes, this season the pursuit of excellence is it just about getting better, It's about deciding what's worth holding on to. Rosie your excitement level for season four The Bear.
Speaker 2: Okay, so my honest ANSA is a two and a half.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I'm pushing it to a three because I love this cost.
Speaker 2: I love these characters. I love spending time with them.
Speaker 3: This is very peak stressed these TV for me, because I did used to walk in fancy restaurants and as a waita and and it sucks. And this the first season of this show, I think is a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: I think it.
Speaker 3: Sums up a lot of the realities and feelings of working in an environment like that. But I also loved seeing them as like a working class kind of kitchen, and a kitchen where Kami was more learning about like the importance of being a good member of the team. I find this stuff a little bit harder now that they're moving into making you know this fancier restaurant and stuff, but I will still be watching. I think the cost is great. I think they're probably gonna win a ton more Emmys, and I'm excited to see where this goes. And I hope we get more time just with the crew and the kitchen together. That's what I missed from season three.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it too remote. I agree with you. It's a very high quality, well acted, well written. It has a kind of panache about the way it moves through its various episodes. Lets you know that this is a very confident production team that knows they're doing something great. That said, for me, season three was a little bit of a downer season. It lost some of the propulsion perhaps in success as they've opened the restaurant. And also it does feel to me, maybe you know what, I think, we've been Last of Us and House of the Dragon peeled with some of the weight times for seasons, so that it genuinely feels shocking that the Bear just is pumping out seasons that come out on time. And I think that's why.
Speaker 3: I think that's why for some folks, some just average TV watches, this is one of the best shows on TV because they don't have to wait two years.
Speaker 2: And then like rewatch the show to understand it.
Speaker 1: Or like Severns. So I don't want to ding it fully for that, but I will admit that I am feeling a little bit bit of Bear fatigue.
Speaker 2: Jason said, take longer to make the show, don't just.
Speaker 1: It is like you want to talk about stress teage. This is a stress teuge show. On occasion, not every episode.
Speaker 3: Fast episode of this is one of the most stressful episodes you will ever watch.
Speaker 1: If you've watched in a restaurant, but there are stress I would say anywhere from twenty to sixty percent of the episodes in any given season of The Bear are extremely stressful. I'm I'm looking at you. The the Family Dinner episode of The Bear, the cameo Layden Family Dinner episode of The Bear that is just like goes from a like an eleven on the anxiety scale and then reaches like a twenty by the time the episode is on verifying. Up next, Squid Game talk about pumping them out and coming out the times. Squid Games season three, June twenty seventh on Netflix. Here's the snops, picking up from season two, devis stating Cliffhanger. Season three throw us geehun back into the brutal heart of the Games, determined to dismantle them once and for all. Still haunted by the betrayal and loss of his closest ally, gehun faces new perils, including the front Man, who shockingly infiltrated the rebellion disguise as player double O one.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am gonna say, guys, cheeky, I think to promote this on having a cliffhanger when it was just clearly that this is one season split into two. But you know what, good for them? Everyone loves Squid Games. Was season two as good as squ season one? No, because once again, you can't capture lightning in a battle in that way. I do like these characters though, I do like this world. I love a dystopian story. It's a solid three for me. I'm hoping they're gonna do something that's gonna surprise me, but this currently I've got my three remotes out of five for Squid Games season three.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it two and a half remotes. I'm with you. I it's interesting for show that is really so full of twists and surprises that you don't feel surprised. Yes, and because so many of those twists feel like they are in service of keeping our hero from really making any headway. And bringing down this criminal empire that said, or capitalist criminal empire that said. I love closure. I'm a return of the Jedi person for that reason. So you know what, maybe I'll bump it up to three I'm gonna bump it up to three remotes because I'm hopeful that we get some yes up next. Listen, we both love a serial killer. We do. We saw a problem. Let's talk about Dexter resurrection. You want to talk about resurrections. How many time can this show get resurrected? Dude?
Speaker 3: Dexter's Jason Boys at this point July eleventh on the Belagered Showtime and Paramount Networks. So Beliegue, good showtime is so, belieguod Man, have a showtime.
Speaker 1: I mean right now. And we could talk later about the the true beleagueredness of Paramount, which is trying to go through a sale but is being actively extorted by the President of the United States. Anyway, here's the synopsis. Weeks after Dexter takes a bullet to the chest from his own son, he who awakens for COVID to find Harrison played by Jack Alcott, gone without a trace. Realizing the weight of what he put his son through, Dexter sets out for New York City, determined to find him and make things right, but closure won't come easily. When Angel arrives with questions, Dexter realizes his past is catching up with him fast and just gonna sprinkle a little spice on this for your future ratings formulation, Rosie, We're introduced to a band of serial killers seemingly recruited by Peter Dinklich's new character, Leon Prater, a billionaire venture capitalist.
Speaker 3: Well, guess what I have to tell you something, guys. This is how much of a sucker I am for like a wild serial killer thing. This is like a first paragraph, solid one. It's a solid one star. Like I'm not that interested about it. I'm gonna give I'm gonna pick up my remote. I'll give it a try. I have watched all of the original season. I did watch the last reboot.
Speaker 2: Season, So look, am I gonna watch it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Yes, But but I will tell you that.
Speaker 3: Goes up to a solid three remote when we're talking about a band of interesting serial killers recruited by Peter Dinklitch who is a billionaire like one of my favorite on the three season shows of all time, that I think does not get enough love. Is this really weird Kevin Bacon show called The Following, which is about Kevin Bacon and his nemesis. And his nemesis is a professor of get Alan Poe and he does murders in Edgar Allan Poe themed style. But then when he is jailed and all of this happens in like the first five minutes of the first episode.
Speaker 2: When he is jailed, he manages to use.
Speaker 3: The Internet to create a cult of serial killers who then start doing like outrageous serial killings on his behalf. It's so good, it's so trashy, it's so enjoyable, and this is giving that energy. So I'm going for a three. I want to see Peter Dinklage. I want to see these serial killers better have inventive, weird vibes, like I want to see something strange, and I want to know obviously, like I'm guessing Dexter and his son are gonna have to team up to take down these serial killers.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it a three and a half for the same reason as you. This band of this super serial killer team recruited by Sounds Greater Dnkledge that said, it's gonna be a three and a half remotes with a quick off trigger. I'm gonna give it. I'm very excited for this first episode July eleventh on the Bleaker Showtime Paramount. But if it doesn't do it for me, it's gonna go to the Backe introduced Leon straight away, like I don't want to. I don't care about that strain of son.
Speaker 3: I need to be pinkadic glitch at his serial killer Avengas.
Speaker 1: Up next Season three of Foundation on Apple TV plus full Disclosure. I am the official podcast the first two the official Foundation pod on it. Yes. Here is the synopsis. The Foundation has become increasingly established, far beyond its humble beginnings, while the Kleonic Dynasties Empire has dwindled. As both of these galactic powers forge an uneasy alliance, a threat to the entire galaxy appears in the fearsome form of a warlord known as the Mule, which readers of the Foundation book series will recognize. Your remote contul writing.
Speaker 3: This is one of the most insane ambitious TV shows on TV. It's based on unfinished works. This, by the way, Season three is going to be one hundred and fifty two years after season two, which is one of my favorite things about this show.
Speaker 1: Also, I lovely.
Speaker 3: Pace, and this year they are adding Troy kotzew Oscar Winner deaf Oscar Winner, who I love. So I'm very excited to see how that we often don't get like deafness and disability in futuristic shows, whether dystopian or utopian. So I'm interested to see how they play that. I'm gonna give it a solid four because I do think that we need to support weird TV shows and this is one of the weirdest. And if you want to know where Apple TV Plus is throwing lots of money, it is at this show right and it is a crazy sci fi escapade.
Speaker 1: For remotes for me, listen. If you love sci fi, you're probably a lover of sci fi. If you're listening to this podcast, you should be watching a foundation because it's great. It's great sci fi.
Speaker 3: It has weird sci fi that we don't really get anymore. And also our listeners love sci fi. We know that you guys have told us, so give this a chance. If you're looking for that sci fi that isn't Star Wars, that sci fi that maybe you haven't heard of that sci fi that maybe you read part of when you were a kid but never checked back in on that's foundation and I'm very interested to see what season happens with Season three.
Speaker 1: As Abu says in the chat, one of the most visually stunning shows and recenters. It looks like a million zero. It looks like a movie. Every door level like looks great.
Speaker 3: It's also if you're in that Prestige TV mindset of Game of Thrones, if you want to see people fucking and killing and fighting.
Speaker 1: Against baby fucking baby fucking, and they also be fighting, sometimes at the same time, sometimes at the same time.
Speaker 3: So I'm saying, just like, give it a try, and I'm very excited to see where it goes next.
Speaker 1: Up next, Oh, on disney Pluse, the Disney Pluse Network. Eyes of Wakanda August six. Wow. There is no true synopsis, but here is storyboard artist Todd Harris quote. The story starts off during the end of the Western Bronze Age. Oh, and that sparks off this giant spy espionage story that roberates through time. You get Wakanda grade James Bond and sometimes a James Bond with the backdrop of all the awesomeness that is Wakanda. Sounds good, Rosie your remote control rating.
Speaker 3: I'm giving it three and a half with a hopeful four because I do no you know what, I'm going to reframe this because this is not about how good I think the show is going to be. This is a Black Panther animated series that is produced by Ryan Coogla, and that at d twenty three revealed a very key connection spoiler mfs on if you don't want it that will probably get an imfist in this show that will probably kind of see different warriors from around the world. I'm guessing this is maybe gonna lean into the cosmic side. So actually, my true, my true excitement as somebody who grew up with this stuff, there are a five star excitement for me. I'm giving it five remotes of excitement because it's an animated Black Panther show produced by Ryan Coogler.
Speaker 2: Look are we in MCU fatigue?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: But is Black Panther one of the coolest characters ever made? Is Wakanda one of the best worlds that Jack Kirby ever visualized.
Speaker 3: Is Black Panther still a character no matter who is holding the mantle that makes people excited. So look, this is not a prediction of the quality of the show. I'm hoping for the best, but my actual excitement, Like, will I be stoked and counting down to the day that I see this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Am I worried there isn't like a full trailer or anything. Also, Yes, but I'm letting the I'm letting the childhood excitement go. And I'm saying five remotes of excitement for me.
Speaker 1: I am a four remote until I see that trailer. Here's passed me at a solid four right now before I see the trailer. We just got done watching the second season of Andor, which is a fantastic show that builds on the early era and formation of the Rebellion and delivers that as high level espionage thrills. I think they could do the same thing with Eyes of Wakanda. You're talking about great a nation that has been secret up until you know, twenty fourteen in the fictional fictional year of twenty fourteen in the MCU something like that. And so how did they keep it secret all those years? What were the lengths they would have to go to? Where did anybody ever discover Wakanda and have to be silenced or bought off or what. I think that there is tremendous potential for this to be like an and or level of thrills in terms of a spy story built around the history of this fictional place. So I am really really excited, and I think that depending on the trailer, Yes, my excitement could go up, could rise all the way to the limit of five remotes, or even drop, which I hope doesn't happen, depending on what we see in that trailer. So I'm gonna give it a solid four right now. Trailer TVD up next August sixth on Netflix. It is season two of Wednesday starring Jenny Or starring Jenny Oega. Here is the synopsis. Wednesday Adams returns to prowl the gothic halls of Nevermore Academy. We're fresh foes and woes. Oh wait. This season, Wednesday must navigate family, friends and old adversaries, propelling her into another year of delightfully dark and cookie mayhem. Armed with her signature razor sharp wit and deadpan charm, Wednesday is also plunged into a new bone chilling supernatural mystery. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like the best season of Wednesday just fine, I think, Jen I'll take it as fantastic casting. I love Catherine Zea Jones as Mortsha, but it was very ya Netflix show. If you watch a lot of those, you know what I mean. I would say I would be about a two for this, though I do hope. I think I wrote an article for IGN about how I thought the first season was good, but it has the potential to be really great.
Speaker 1: If it's weirder, I hope they lean into that.
Speaker 3: But I'm pushing mine up to three remotes because they are adding this year Steve Bushemi, which I love, and apparently the rumors are that he is gonna maybe play the head teacher who was before played by our fave Gwendolyn from A Game of Ferns. But also as well, I will say that is somewhere.
Speaker 2: Where this show never fails. Like the level of casting.
Speaker 3: I mean, Louis Guzman as the patriarch of the Adams family. Gomez is like iconic casting, looks identical to the cartoon.
Speaker 1: The original cartoon.
Speaker 3: This year they're adding Oh the Wandawayne Newton as well. You may know her Sandy, but she recently introduced herself with her full name. I mean, she's amazing obviously, you know I love Mission Impossible too, so I love her. Lady Gaga is gonna be in this season, Christopher Lloyd from Back to the Future, Haley Joel Osmond from The Sixth Sense, who has had a resurgence in many comedic roles, and Heaven Matzarro from Welcome to the Doll's House. So like, the cost is giving weird. So I'm pushing up to a three from.
Speaker 2: A two where it would have been gosh.
Speaker 1: I am gonna go a two just because listen, the trailer was good that said, this is one of those shows where it's been three it's like quietly been three years. Oh yeah, And for some reason with this show, I'm a little I'm concerned that it took that long because it kind of feels like it.
Speaker 2: You had all the sets, you had the cattle, the sets, had.
Speaker 1: All the stuff. You know. Tim Burton obviously deeply involved, but it's not like he's doing other stuff. And so I'm a little confused, is what took so long? That said, I'm with you. I think that it was Tim Burton weird, which is to say, a style of weird that we've that is not that we've that we're not surprised by. I do think a little bit more weirdness would increase my excitement level bit of a solid two. But you know, uh, I'm going to give it much like Dexter Resurrection. I'm gonna give it two episodes and let's see where my my excitement level goes from there. So I'm gonna give it a solitude. Let's go to a cook break and with you're at and we're back up next. Oh, folks, this might be I'm gonna make a prediction in terms of excitement level, this might be our most rolled show. I think this is gonna have the most remote controls guys. August twelfth on FX Hulu Alien Earth from You Know star showrunner Noah Hawley. Here is the synopsis. Set in twenty one, twenty two years before Alien and the events that befell the crew in Nostromo, Noah Hawley's Alien Earth will follow the deep research vessel USCSS Magineo after crash lands on Earth, with a young woman called Wendy played by Sidney Chandler, and a ragtag group of tactical soldiers making a quote fateful discovery that puts them face to face with the planet's greatest threat. I'm excited. I need to know nothing else.
Speaker 3: Timothy Oliphant, isn't it So I'm like, okay, that's a five anyway.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Aliens, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna see Cymbia on Earth. It's pre Nostromo. I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. And also, let's.
Speaker 3: Remember now a Holly made legion, which is like a deeply conflicted show for me, but also a fantastic fucking show, and it's in a genre space and it was totally unexpected. So I'm very ready for this to be incredible. And I am hoping that Disney, Hulu, Effects, the corporations that are putting this one throw that money out the screen. I want this shit to look like and or I want to see the xenomorph. I need to know that you have a practical xenomorph. I want to see the weird hybrid law. And obviously we're very excited to have camm And come on and explain it all to us as the alien lover that she is.
Speaker 1: It's a period piece. I think Noah Holly thrives in that kind of setting. I love his anthology work with the Fargo television series, and I am extremely curious as to how a late seventies alien television show, because you have going.
Speaker 3: To quickly make it look that way, even though at second it has to look like how we recognize the original Fantastic Yeah Alien movie.
Speaker 1: Adapting a late seventies movie set in twenty two. I can't wait to see. It's gonna be the show. I'm gonna give it. I'm gonna give it the full five remote control. I'm giving it five. We're giving it ten. This is all.
Speaker 2: This is all ten exciting remote controls.
Speaker 1: Up next Peacemaker Season two, August twenty first, on HBO Max. We've been waiting for this one. The official log line does not tell us much, but here it is quote. The new season follows Christopher Chris Smith aka Peacemaker, the vigilante superheroes. He struggles to reconcile his past with his new found sense of purpose while continuing to kick righteous evil do but in his misguided quest for peace at any cost. Gunn, who I'm beginning to worry is over over shaming himself. Maybe he has wrote all eight episodes of season two and is directing three. Your excitement level, Rosie, I'm giving it a three. I am.
Speaker 3: I am a lover in case you didn't know, if you've listened to the podcast, I'm a lover of the James Gun Suicide Squad movie. I think it's a masterpiece. This show, for me, did not continue the threads that I loved from that, but I do think the first season was interested in reckoning with the idea of American patriotism, with racism, with like Clan villains, like there was a lot of interesting stuff there. I think the cost is great. Obviously, John Cena is amazing in this role. I'm hoping that as the show grows in this season and we get to see you know, it's been revealed that like Guy God in Greenland and will be in here, and I'm interested to see how this connects with Superman.
Speaker 2: This is going to be our first post Superman project, so.
Speaker 1: That is pushing me.
Speaker 3: I think it's a It's an excited three with hopes for more.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go I'm going to go excited three, but I'm equally concerned. I do think that the the inclusion of Guy Gardner tells us that we're going to be picking up I think the baton from the events of Superman, which is awesome. I am worried. Creature Commandos was fun but also felt kind of sparse, and it was really the place where I began to think, God, Gun's doing a lot, It's doing a lot, a lot, a lot, and obviously so much riding on Superman. So I do. I just hope that it leaves me feeling more full than Creature Commando's left me feeling I did. I loved season one. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I worry that guns being yeah overstretched, so an excited and concerned three remote controls for me, but the excitement primarily comes from the fact that we're gonna be really expanding DC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also we see you with this. Your mention of Creature Commando's did remind me.
Speaker 3: Something I really didn't like from the first season was like that we see Rick Flagg Junior get killed in Suicide Squad spoiler alert for like a five year old movie. But it is this really huge moment where he is finally choosing not to be the Patriot, and obviously it's revealed that Peacemaker was there as Amanda Wallace kind.
Speaker 1: Of fail safe.
Speaker 3: But this season we will see Frank Grio reprise his role from Creature Commandos, where he was loving to fuck and now he's come into this role and he is apparently going to be trying to like hunt down peace Maker cause he killed this son. So that's interesting to me, but again feels like a lot. Also, I do think that, you know, we talked in the discord about this, because like I do think it says a lot about the trust that Warner Brothers hasing gone that they're allowing a TV show that honestly, like five percent of the people who probably watch the movie are going to watch to continue it.
Speaker 1: So hopefully it's that good.
Speaker 3: But we could also be having a very different conversation if Superman doesn't hit in the way they're expecting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then this show comes out afterwards.
Speaker 1: So I'm intrigued. Intrigued.
Speaker 3: Three, this is going to be a big summer for where does the superhero story stand right now?
Speaker 1: I think that Superman this isn't aside, but I here's my prediction. I think Superman is going to hit. The question for me is the critical reception. And I'm hopeful about that because I think that I think it's going to make in the neighborhood of a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's definitely five hundred to eight hundred. I think is a set.
Speaker 1: The question is, and this was the issue with the Snyder verse, is do thes hated to the fans kind of? There needs to be in a lignement between criticism and the fan reaction as well in the box office. Okay, Finally, long story short August twenty second on Netflix from the creator of BoJack Horseman, Rafael Bob Waksburg is back with another animated family drama. This follows one family through apparently multiple time streams as it jumps in the future, to the past, to the future again to the present as we follow the Swooper siblings from childhood to adulthood and back again, chronicling their triumphs, disappointments, joys, and compromises your level of excitement.
Speaker 3: I'm giving it for remote controls because I love BoJack Horseman and also Lisa Hanawal is one of my favorite cartoonists. She worked on BoJack Horsemen, she worked to Karimba. It was her show. She's back as a supervising producer. I think this is going to be hella depressing and really hard to watch, just like BoJack Horseman is, but I'm hoping it will also be incredibly life affirming and fun and beautifully animated.
Speaker 2: The cost is great.
Speaker 3: Dave Franco, who just came off for absolutely fucking Killer Studio cameo. Nicole Bayer obviously legendary podcasts, super fun legend and super fun nail that start. Abby Jacobson from Board CEA Like, I think that's really interesting stuff here. How are you feeling about it?
Speaker 1: Gosh, I'm like you. I think BoJack has some of the highest highs, certainly in recent animated shows. There are episodes that I still think about in the heartbreaking they are, how well they depict depression and just an aimlessness that is something I think people just experience and don't know how to really verbalize, and I think that show really presents it in a way that is both life affirming but also like really really heartbreaking. I'm gonna give it. I'm gonna give it a three. It's a little bit of a hopeful three. I'm but I have I'm worried like you, I I think I have a limited bandwidth right now for truly like the BoJack level heartbreak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think right now, it's tough to watch that stuff.
Speaker 1: It's very tough. And I also think there's a little this is not fair to long story short, but it's giving me. I don't know how many people watch the Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Robert Oh.
Speaker 3: It has it also has like fucking like, uh, what the the was it like Tree of Life or what mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I think that's yeah, So it's giving me some Again, I don't know how many people watch that movie, but I did, and it's been giving me a little bit of here vibes. So I'm concerned that I won't have the emotional bandwidth to deal with it. But I'm gonna give it a three because you know, it comes with a tremendous legacy coming out of BoJack, which I think is one of the most unique and heartbreaking to animated shows in recent memory. Okay, let's take a quick break and we're gonna come back with our quick thoughts on murder Bots, which just talked. Okay, murder Bot on Apple TV Plus is the adaptation of the best selling novella for Martha wells Now on Apple TV Plus. I believe it's on its fifth or sixth episode as we record this right now. Interesting tone for show, and I think also a slow starting show. But your your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've read the book. I'm rereading the first book right now. I do think it has an interesting tone. I also think that the first couple of episodes it's been a big conversation start in our discord and.
Speaker 1: At the escape, very slow start. For me.
Speaker 3: I think it's You've got to establish a lot about the show, which is like, you have this world where these killer robots exist, and this one has hacked its programming and now it just wants to sit around and watch TV instead of take over the world. And the first two episodes do a lot of heavy lifting, a lot of exposition. Luckily, Alexander Scarsguard is the murder bot, or as they call them as SEC units, and he has the narration, which is a major part of the book, and at first I think it feels a bit clunky, but by the time I was into episode three, I was like, Okay, I think this is going to be something special. And now halfway through the season, I love I love the kind of retro futuristic version they have of a utopia. I spoke to Alex about this on our interview that we did for the for Denogi Pod kind of collab, and that was like something that really appealed to him was the fact that this is a show about TV and watching TV and the joy that TV can bring you, because that is what murder Boch chooses to do. I really love the other cast members. I think that's what I'm most kind of interested in right now because murder Bot's fun, but if you've read the books, you kind of really know murder Bot. Here we really get to expand on the relationships, the way that people would love in the future, or the way that people would have kids in the future. I also think that, yeah, by this point I've seen the whole season, But by this point in the season, like episode five, that was when I started texting everyone and I was like, guys, you have to watch the show like it's actually something really special. It's just how do you establish this world and world buildings so quickly so you can get to the fun stuff. But I've been very happy to see in the Escape Patch discord in our discord that people who have stuck with it are really enjoying it and I do think it is a great adaptation of these Martha World's novels, which are like very funny, very silly, like satirical sci fi that do play with these ideas of like AI and the idea of what dissentients mean, and it's you know, I'm also has no surprise, everyone knows. I'm also like I'm a little lover girl, you know, so like I love that this is kind of this idealistic vision of what the future could be, even when we're in a dystopia as this is so yeah, I am loving it.
Speaker 2: I'm a murder Bot supporter.
Speaker 3: Sabrina Woo's in it, who I just think is so great and so funny.
Speaker 2: No, it's just a great cast. It's a great clast.
Speaker 1: Jason, what are your thoughts. I, now that I've kind of digested I did not read the book. Now that I've kind of digested with the tone of the show is because it opens up like a you know, like a like a sitcom, like.
Speaker 3: A sitcom, which I don't think even book readers were expecting.
Speaker 1: And so that took a little while to get used to. And then with that kind of processing of the tone of it, the first two episodes are tough because to your point, it does drop us in the world, and it it's not really until the end of the second episode that the story of the season really starts rolling with the introduction of the of the science team, and as you begin to understand their working relationship, their personal relationships, and the way they relate to the to the second unit, and then it isn't really until episode three four that you begin to feel like, ah, I understand what this season is about. I'm glad that I stuck with it. And that's what I would say. Definitely, yeah, stick with it because it's with it. It's only a half hour. Also, yeah, it's not like you're there for an hour each time. Trying to be like, when does the story start.
Speaker 3: Five years ago, before we were in the peak, you know, consumption era of TV.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what er we're.
Speaker 3: In, but yeah, it five years ago. We were telling people, hey.
Speaker 2: Just watch the show.
Speaker 3: The first series isn't that great, but it gets really great. So I think having a show where it's like, hey, it's two episodes, you have to and they're still fun and it's still Alexander Skarska, but like two episodes, it's an hour of your time commit because I do think that once you get in there, this is a very unique vision of the future and it is a very different style of sci fi.
Speaker 1: I Will also says.
Speaker 3: It's kind of hopeful in a way a lot of dystopian sci fi we get isn't and it is a faithful adaptation of Welles's work, which, by the way, if you want to read All Systems, read which is the first novella from the murder Bot series, also known as About Diaries. It's one hundred and twenty eight pages, so you can even read it while you're watching those first two episodes. Get a kind of lock on it. But yeah, I think this is really fun. I hope again Apple plus TV, we're back at it. Not even sponsored by Apple plus TV, but they are making really interesting, weird shows and they are.
Speaker 1: Committing to them.
Speaker 3: Also, another thing I love about this is if you go to Alexander Scarsguard's page, and I couldn't believe this because I watched the show pretty closely, he shows himself getting into the practical murder Bot suit, which is essentially a pull on suit.
Speaker 2: When you watch.
Speaker 3: That on TV, you will believe you are watching like a highly animated CGI robot like Marvel style, but it's actually just a really incredible practical suit and I am a big fan of that. I'm excited for people to see the rest of the season too.
Speaker 1: I love that. I do love the look of it, look and feel of it. It reminds me of Star Wars in it has a kind of seventies feeling trou future design. Like the spaceships are all rounded off. They're not like these kind of militaristic looking they look. It looks like a you know, like a flying like mood ring or something. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's like and everything's like rounded.
Speaker 3: There's lots like round boulders and tan colors and yeah, very Star Wars.
Speaker 1: And I really like that part of it. David as Mulchin as Graffin, who's kind of the early foil for a murder bot, is really wonderful and eerie as this more as the human who knows too much about technology for murder bots.
Speaker 3: Liking you know, and they're so good together, Alexanda and David, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: I love that you picked up on that.
Speaker 3: I think des Mulchin is really doing something special with that role. Also, you know, Aboo and Joel who I were both people that I was like, keep watching it, keep watching it. Abu said, you know, he did greatly dislikes a binge drop, but this show needed to be a binge drop. And I do agree that if this show had been a ten episode binge watch, I think the conversation and excitement around it right now would be like really big can I.
Speaker 1: Like, it's interesting to me the decision to like do the heavy exposition over two episodes because I don't know, do we really need this robot reprogrammed itself and now thinks for itself? Do we really need a heavy lift on that. I feel like that as a concept is so in the popular so in.
Speaker 2: The main Yeah, that understanding.
Speaker 1: Really know that all of that was super necessary. To me. It feels like we could have opened up with the science team arriving. I do love the science team.
Speaker 3: I'm not anything to bring them in soon now, but I yeah, I'm glad that half the season is out.
Speaker 2: I feel like people are really starting to vibe with ye.
Speaker 3: I think I do think it's funny because I do think this is an example where like when the first season of You, which had which by the way, we didn't even, you know, talk about just ended. But that show had already aired weekly on Lifetime and had kind of been a flop. Crazy to say that that was a Lifetime show. But on New Year's Day, maybe like six seven years ago, Netflix bought the rights. They put the whole show Binge season on Netflix and it became the biggest water cooler moment. And I think that something that the streamers are going to have to navigate is we have started to see if somebody like that usually does weekly, like Disney, puts a whole season out, we feel like maybe they're trying to bury it. But I think there needs to be a conversation and an understanding with execs, with producers whatever that Sometimes you got to show the show to people first, and your test audience has to say, like, would you rather would you have stopped watching this if you didn't get here?
Speaker 2: Does it need to be a binge watch? I think this show would have been really supported by that. But also the show still exists.
Speaker 3: There's still ten great episodes, and you know you're gonna be able to Now you can watch half the show and really get a feeling for it. And I think I've seen a lot of people who are really happy they stuck with it, so I'm gonna keep encouraging. I think this is gonna be a secret slow burn hit of twenty twenty five, and I think by the end of the season it really starts to feel like one of those shows where you're like, shit, this could be like there could be twenty seasons of this, like Star Trek, like you really get into the world.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm rooting for it.
Speaker 3: Also just want to shout out thank you to whichever of our super producers put this in.
Speaker 2: It's written by Chris and Paul White. I interviewed them for the pod.
Speaker 1: They were great.
Speaker 2: You can listen to that interview.
Speaker 1: But I have to say this is one of.
Speaker 3: The most unhinged writing Cole and nineteen eighty eight incredibly guys hitting, subversive dream works animation that kind of came out at the same time as bugs like Nave Reversa to the Clumps.
Speaker 2: I mean, what more needs to be said?
Speaker 3: Nothing more about a boy one of like the classic Hugh Grant British adaptations of the famous book, the twenty fifteen Cinderella movie, which by the way, is now looked upon as the best of the Disney Live action remakes, as it was songless, focused on character, great casting. It's very beloved in film. Twitter Circles now Rogue won a Star Wars story.
Speaker 1: Ever heard of?
Speaker 3: Heard of it ever fucking heard us talk about every single week. One of the best written Star Wars that we've gotten. Pinocchio twenty twenty two, absolutely deranged movie. Guys, If that is a crazy movie, Tom Hanks was in his absolute uh what's the word his accent era? I would put it where he was doing a lot of accents. Same around the same time as Elvis, one of the most crazy movies I've ever seen and criminally underrated. Correctly put Mozart in the Jungle.
Speaker 1: Mozart in the Jungle is show that to your point, I don't think people understood was on television. Yeah, Like it had gone two seasons before people realized that it was an actual show that was on, starring Gail Garcia, bernal our Ittu, Mama Tambien King King, as well as Lola Kirk, Bernette Peters, Malkmintou. Underrated show, very underrated show. It was underrated while it was on, and I think it's still underrated.
Speaker 3: It's it's and you can watch it right now, I believe on Amazon Prime. But yeah, I mean what, I kind of love how out there their writing career has been, and I love that this really fits in that kind of esoteric, strange, like incredible highs wild choices of that kind of Hollywood career that I think is what makes a great Hollywood career.
Speaker 1: But yeah, definitely let me check out. We will be checking back in with it after the finale tomorrow and extra revision we're naming the top ten sci fi movies that are not.
Speaker 2: Star Wars not a Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Join us for another popcorn pop out. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi Our discorded moderate though