Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan at Stan Patrick Show. Minister of Humor, Fritzie. We got Dylan in the back row. Seaton will join us in an hour from now. He's on the road with the French Kid, headed to New Orleans and the Maco Van. He's making his way to Winchester, Virginia today and then Greensboro, North Carolina, and then maybe Charlotte after that. So making some pit stomps at Maco stores along the way. Eight seven seven to three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Twelve days until the Super Bowl, and get ready, get ready for the conversation to be all about the Chiefs get all the calls. We just had Nick right on, who is a big Kanas City chief fan, and basically saying, boohoo, if the Chiefs get all the calls, why didn't you bet on the Chiefs because you would have made a lot of money. He's got a point. If you think it's rigged, bet on the Chiefs. If you think the Super Bowl's rigged, bet on the Chiefs. Chiefs are favored by one and a half, some places favored by two. But that, unfortunately, will be the rhetoric leading up to the Super Bowl. It'll be about the Kansas City Chiefs, and there's you know, you're going to have two fan bases there. But if you said, you know the fan bases outside of Philly in Kansas City, they're probably if you don't have a dog in the fight, you're rooting for Kansas City to lose. Not necessarily Philadelphia to win, but probably Kansas City to lose. Four coaching hires yesterday, so they went back to back to back to back, and it was great to be able to watch all of them. Aaron Glenn with the Jets, Jerry Jones with Brian Schottenheimer, Pete Carroll with the Raiders, Liam Cohen with the Jaguars. But we're watching the cow I'm not really watching the Cowboys press conference with Jerry and his son Stephen and Brian Schottenheimer. But Pauli at one point says to no one in particular, after the show's over, it's on and I'm walking out into the basketball court area. He goes, is anybody is anybody watching this? And I thought, oh boy, so I do a U turn I come back in he goes. Brian Schottenheimer's spoken for about six minutes. Jerry has probably spoken twenty minutes and probably would have gone longer. And Brian Schottenheimer's just sitting there. This is his day, this is his moment, probably the only head coaching job he'll ever get, and all.
Speaker 3: He does is nod his head.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, have you been in a room where somebody is talking about you, but you're in the room with them, and then you're going, I'm right here their shoulder to shoulder, Brian Schottenheimer talks about, Hey, his father, Marty Schottenheimer passed away. He would have loved to have been here and had this moment. I become the head coach in the NFL, And I'm going, all right, that's a beautiful moment. And then Jerry starts talking about his father who taught him the game and he passed away, and then he gets emotional and starts crying. I'm going, oh my god, this is fabulous. And then Stephen Jones, We've been walking around this morning doing air quotes with everything, because he put air quotes over the word drought. Would play it now if you're just listening on our radio affiliates. Imagine quotation marks around the word drought.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we you know, you always have to evaluate, you know, where it didn't go right last year, and obviously we're also evaluating where it didn't go right, you know in terms of you know, this drought that people say we're in in terms of a championship game or a super Bowl when you know, we just have to continue to make this roster better.
Speaker 2: Okay, once again, this so called drought that they're talking about, you're oh, for thirty I would have said, Stephen, what constitutes a drought in your eyes? Because you have to have some awareness here, Uh, drought. Yes, in the last thirty years, you haven't been to an NFC Titlekay, that's a drought. That is a drought. Somebody better call FEMA take care of this drought.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, if you're Robert Kraft, you can put quotations around drought because it hasn't been that long.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: If you're the Cowboys, what are they thinking? At least we're not the Browns of the Lions.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, PAULI, And you know what Jerry Jones did at different points of this thing. He addressed the criticism on people like you, people like in the media and others, but he took it on he people say I would love to be the head coach. I would have loved to been the head coach. I wanted to be a coach, but business paid more. And he was not kidding. He said he would have preferred to have been a coach than a businessman, but it paid more. And then he talked about the criticism that he hires in his comfort zone, and he really went off for a little bit, saying, I do things outside of my comfort zone. I hire people outside of it. And then, like you said, he points to Schottenheimer.
Speaker 2: That's not out of your comfort zone. The guy is in the organization that I mean. It's controversial because nobody else was going to hire Brian Schottenheimer. You hired a guy who didn't even call plays for you, and now he's going to be your head coach. So if you want to say, wow, you took a shot here, did you? A shot would have been Dion, and Dion probably would have been a smarter choice from the standpoint. And once again, let's go back to when that story first hatched, and I said, this is wishful reporting. People were dying to have this storyline Dion every show all of the sudden, Hey what would Dion do? What changes would he make? You know, all of these scenarios, and I kept saying, it doesn't feel like it that he was offered the job.
Speaker 3: Now Edwarder, who I have known a long.
Speaker 2: Time and trust cowboy insider, he said, you know, this is a real thing, and if Dion was asked that he would take the job. Dion even answered a question about talking to Jerry and made it seem like there was an offer by saying, you know, I'm humbled and but you know I got work to do a Colorado.
Speaker 3: There was no offer. We wanted it to happen.
Speaker 2: So no matter who else was going to be hired, here is going to be a letdown because it wasn't Dion. And then you it just felt like this is the say, if if Jason Garrett had a younger brother or maybe a brother, then you hired Jason Garrett's brother just because you know who he is. He's going to let you do what you want to do, as opposed to if you brought in Mike Rabel or Ben Johnson or Dion. That press conference was emblematic of what the Cowboys organization is all about. I got this, I hired you. I'm doing the talking. Well, get used to it because that's what it's going to be after every game. And then Stephen Jones, who is you know, channeling his inner Matthew McConaughey. Here, play it again. There's a little McConaughey in there in Stephen.
Speaker 4: Jones, Well, I think we you know, you always have to evaluate, you know where it didn't go.
Speaker 6: Right last year?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes, a little bit of Matthew McConaughey in there. Love to get that Ashton, Yes, Jenty.
Speaker 2: You guys call this a drought. I'd just say I'm a little parched, yes, Todd.
Speaker 9: Jerry Jones at one point commended Brian Scheinheimer for a number of times, I guess during meetings with coaches and players, biting his lip when he wanted to say something. But he difference, I guess was the word letting it things go with the people that I guess are in a higher position. And that's exactly the kind of coaching one. Someone that's gonna not try to make waves and let Jerry Jones decide what's gonna do and bite his lip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean get used to it that Jerry Jones announced that Jerry Jones is still the head coach of the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I took from it. And if you're a.
Speaker 2: Cowboy fan, you gotta be going God, make this end, make this end.
Speaker 3: And it's not.
Speaker 2: The rout is not going to end, probably anytime soon. Aaron Glenn's all fired up. He wanted the Jets job, former Jet defensive back, and he's ready to go.
Speaker 3: Claire's that's here. Now, put your seat belts on and get ready for the ride. Put your seatbelts on and get ready for the ride. Listen.
Speaker 10: There are gonna be some challenges, but what challenges becomes opportunity gets opportunity.
Speaker 5: But here's what I do know.
Speaker 3: We're the freaking New York Jets, so we're built.
Speaker 2: For Imagine if the Lions were in the Super Bowl, Aaron Glenn wouldn't have been introduced yesterday. He'd be coaching in the Super Bowl. Ben Johnson wouldn't be in Chicago. He would be coaching in the Super Bowl. I don't know what the Saints are waiting for. That's one of those if you're a Saints fan, You're going are we getting somebody who is coaching in the Super Bowl? Are we getting Kellen Moore? Is Cliff Kingsbury since he's been eliminated? What about Mike McCarthy. The longer this goes, now you're the only coaching vacancy. You got three or four five guys maybe that you're interested in. That's where I always get nervous. If you know your guy, get your guy, and if you can't, then that might be what the Saints are going through right now. Did they miss on these other coaches? I'm assuming that they were interested in Ben Johnson, maybe Mike Vrabel, but just trying to you're trying to understand what ownership is thinking, and with the Saints ownership, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pulling I.
Speaker 7: Think this works out perfectly for the Saints the Super Bowls in New Orleans. If Kellen Moore, the offensive coordinator for Eagles, pulls off the upset of the Chiefs, especially with his offense which looked great last week, he just stays in New Orleans. He goes right from the game on Sunday to being introduced on Monday morning. It could work out perfectly than Saints. Yeah, man, would that be a great hire within twenty four hours of Kellen Moore pulling off the Super Bowl wing? Okay, that's perfect scenario.
Speaker 2: But then the Cowboys don't bring Kellen Moore back to be their head coach, which I thought made more sense and by all accounts Kellen Moore.
Speaker 3: Really wanted the job.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin his bags a candidate for a head coaching job anywhere or what the Saints rather?
Speaker 2: No, The only article I saw in that is he deserves to be a candidate.
Speaker 3: Now I don't know if he if he has.
Speaker 6: Been, but.
Speaker 2: At this point now age is going to factor in in this with Spags?
Speaker 3: Are you going to turn over?
Speaker 2: Well, you got Pete Carroll, so you know you can't sit there and go many he's too old. I don't know what too old is anymore. I've been told what too old is. But Pete Carroll's not too old for me. But Spags, I don't.
Speaker 3: I would stay with the Chiefs like you're everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, you have an ego and maybe you want to Hey, I'd like to get a chance coaching again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauline, here's the player comp on this one. The musician, comps Steve Spagnolo, he's Keith Richards with the rolling stones. Stop me, all, you're not the most famous guy in the room. Man, what a long run, and you're going in the Hall of Fame together. So if Andy Reid goes in the Hall of Fame, like we've talked about Steve Spagnolo, a pure coordinator, he did coach, head coach a little bit, but a pure coordinator would go in the Hall of Fame. With Mahomes at the package deal, I don't think they'd put him in the Hall of Fame, but what they could have, like, it doesn't matter rings, rings, rings, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Dick Lebau was a head coach and a former defensive back and he went in the Hall of Fame as well. But I don't think you've had a true coordinator go in. He's got Super Bowl rings, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's kind of interesting. By the way, Julian Edelman's going.
Speaker 2: To join us.
Speaker 3: Is he going to be.
Speaker 2: Is he going to be like Lin Swan who waited twenty over twenty years to get in the Hall of Fame. Didn't have great regular season numbers, but he had a couple of beautiful catches in the Super Bowl. I mean, Edelman is a better He's a better postseason receiver than Lynn Swan. And I know it's different. You know with the Steelers, they ran the ball that you know can fifty to fifty or whatever.
Speaker 3: But he never made a Pro Bowl. Now we knew greatness when you saw it.
Speaker 2: But he's in the Hall of Fame, is I mean, Julian Edelman's got to be looking at that, going, can I get this same kind of treatment here? Because he had one of the greatest catches in Super Bowl history. That catch against the Falcons top five greatest catches I've ever seen, and if you're looking at third all time postseason catches. He was a he was a money player. He really was, I mean good during the regular season, great during the postseason. But I wonder what he how he would answer that, like, why do you why aren't you being considered for the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, and.
Speaker 5: I think a new Hall of Fame criteria is iconic teams. So if you're a big part of iconic teams, that's what happened the nineties Bills. They didn't win any Super Bowls, but histories look kindly upon them, where there's five or six guys that are in now because of what they did. And I think the same thing is gonna happen with the Patriots, even the early Patriots teams. Ty Log got in and guys like Julia Edelman. I think he'll get in because he was a part of an iconic team and he had iconic moments.
Speaker 2: Rodney Harrison probably will get in, should get in. Yeah, you're right, all right, we'll take a break. We'll get to more phone calls. We're going to dissect what is Jimmy Butler doing and he seems to be his own worst enemy here with what's going on in Miami. I have that for you coming up. We'll settle on new poll question for hour two. Glad you're part of the program. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to and live.
Speaker 11: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 3: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 11: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most.
Speaker 3: Interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll get phone calls coming Up's whole question for hour two before we get to Julian Edelman.
Speaker 10: Uh for hour two Dan, Actually, it's a throwback from Paul. Whose wide receiver career would you want more? Calvin Johnson or Julian Edelman.
Speaker 2: So Calvin Johnson first balloder yep, but very little playoff success and then Julian Edelman then a Super Bowl MVP three times Super Bowl shame. Let me ask you that whose career would you rather have? Your career or Calvin Johnson's Julian I rather have my career? Okay, good, all right, that's it. That's all I wanted to talk to you about.
Speaker 6: Good to see you, Angel, really good, joy paper be sure to be doing Dan.
Speaker 3: Great, Great to talk to you. What do you say?
Speaker 2: What would you say to voters who haven't considered you for the Hall of Fame? What would be your campaign?
Speaker 6: Uh? I'm not a campaigner, so I wouldn't. That wasn't My goal in life is to make the Hall of Fame. Yeah. My goal in life was to go out and host Lombardi Trophy, and I got to do that three times and play my best football games in those matches. So you know, that's that's pretty much where I stand with all that stuff. I'm not gonna sit here in campaign try to get in the Hall of Fame. And I think that's lame. If I get in, I get in. If I don't, I got a beautiful eight year old daughter, and I got three trophies that I'll be happy with for the rest of my life. Four because I got the MVP of the last one.
Speaker 2: Well, I know it's not a goal, but if I was, if you said, hey, would you campaign for me? I have been, because I don't. You can't tell the story of the NFL, certainly these big games without you and postseason success.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I see as Lynn Swann kind of like where Lynn Swan wasn't great regular season, but he was big in big games, and it's the same with you, and you were winning championships. So I've championed your cause. But now I know you don't care about the Hall of Fame, So I'll call that off.
Speaker 3: I'll move on to somebody else.
Speaker 6: Move on to someone else.
Speaker 3: Why did big games bring out the best in you?
Speaker 6: Well, but people don't realize we weren't a team that was looking to pad guys' stats. You know, there's like four three years of my career. I'd jump out and I'd have a boatload of catches and a boatload of yards, and we change up the offense completely because we want to change up the tendency going forward into the season. So I think that when the playoffs came, we ran our best stuff and I usually was a part of those plays. So as we're watching the Chiefs right now, it's kind of that same kind of battle. When you're sustaining success for a long time, it's not about going out and try to having the best offense. It's about going out and try to improve your team each week and get them to play in their best football at the end of the year so you have a shot in the playoffs. So that's a lot of what we did, and you know, we had a lot of success doing it, and it's fun to watch another team be able to find that pocket that we were in.
Speaker 2: You hear a lot of the analysts, you know we are, you know, people who are host critics. They're talking about Dalton Kincaid like hang on to the football. Yeah, but from a receiving perspective, that pass that Josh throws and Dalton Kincaid, you know, drops it. What do you see on that play?
Speaker 6: Yeah? You know, first off, no, no game is decided by one play. So I don't think kincaid is that fault for the loss. There's a collection of plays that they probably want to have back saying that you got to make that catch. You know, to your point, people make those catches in the regular season and it looks great on their stats and you get your money. Scotty O'Brien knows used to say it. You make your money in the regular season, you make your name in the postseason. He makes that catch. You know, we could be saying something different right now. So that's that's how the game goes. I'm sure he feels like terrible. I mean the same could be said for Mark Andrews. But you know that those guys are hard working guys that have contributed a lot for those teams this year, and it sucks that the play didn't go their way. But that's football, you know, Dan.
Speaker 3: It's it's yeah, but look at Mark, you gotta.
Speaker 6: Make that catch. I would you know they hit him right in the chest play he misjudged it. I don't know, you know it was There's four guys there, but I would say probably eight out of ten times kin k makes that catch and the twenty percent where he doesn't just so happen to happen that night.
Speaker 2: What did you see on the Ravens play the two point conversion with Mark?
Speaker 6: I saw a guy that lost his confidence throughout the game, and which is very common with the receiver or that drops the ball a couple of times, has a fumble, he's starting to think about ball. He's, oh, I gotta I just gotta look at it. You know that was a confidence thing. Was the ball not perfect?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Uh? Could he have caught it? Yeah? But you know that that's I feel bad for both those players because of those situations. But you know, there's always got to be a winner and there's got to be a loser. The winners make those plays.
Speaker 2: Talking to Julian Edelman, Fox NFL Kickoff, Anamals three times super Bowl Champ, super Bowl MVP joining us on behalf of angel Soft toilet paper.
Speaker 3: Are you gotta go to my mirror back?
Speaker 7: You got?
Speaker 6: It's not break No, So that's that's the crazy thing.
Speaker 3: Are you in the commercial?
Speaker 2: Are you in a Super Bowl commercial about toilet paper?
Speaker 6: Technically I'm not. Technically I'm not because Angelsoft has a design commercial for people to take a break, to go to use the restroom. We're promoting to use the restroom so you can not miss any of the ads, the commercials, or the awesome content from the game. So Angelsoft they came up with this idea, Hey, we're just gonna give people thirty seconds to go use the restie.
Speaker 3: Did that ever happen during a game for you?
Speaker 6: I was told I can't say Larry Is those stories? No, h yeah.
Speaker 3: Did did Larry have an accident?
Speaker 6: Larry Izzo? I think hooped on a Saturday, which has never been done. And I'm not joking now peeing we all do it. You always see the two trainers, they pull up the towel, they give you a little you know, a little privacy, and you pull your pants down right by the cooler and you go down. Larry Is I tried to take that to a whole other level. And I'm pretty sure he was using Angelsoft.
Speaker 2: Morton Anderson told me a story works that that he had an accident.
Speaker 3: And had to clean up on the sidelines.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very Paul Pierce.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, but he wasn't. He wasn't rolled off in a wheelchair though. I mean that's soft.
Speaker 6: Basketball is very visual. They're right up on you, so you know you gotta get you gotta get some help there. Angel Soft would have done that job.
Speaker 3: Can you compare Kelsey and Gronk.
Speaker 6: I would say they're different football players. Nothing could be taken away from what Travis Kelcey has done with his longevity, his knack defining the football, his his route running ability he's unbelievable. Uh and and his ability to stay healthy. People don't realize like, yeah, he's been banged up here or there, but Travis Kelcey's been a healthy football player his whole career. That's huge. Rob was like an old school tight end. We used to design run plays to the nine technique Van den Bosch when he was in his prime. With Gronk blocking Van der bosh That's different Rob was. You know, he's he's just he's a physical beast, where like when you would run next to him, you could hear the ground hounding, like in him giggling while he was playing. I think they're different football players, but both all time grades.
Speaker 3: Who plays quarterback the way you played quarterback in.
Speaker 6: College in college? Like in the league?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there anybody who you could see yourself that was the kind of style that you had when you were in the MAC.
Speaker 6: In the man. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: DP.
Speaker 6: I would say I could make the throws like any of these guys, but running style, I was very slippery. I wasn't as fast as some of these, like the Lamar Jackson's or the Jade and Daniels, but I didn't make people look very silly at very high competition, like against really big time schools. So I just couldn't throw a twenty yard out on a dime.
Speaker 3: What were you like the fourth string quarterback on the Patriots?
Speaker 6: There was so remember the year, So Brady was on a vacation for the first.
Speaker 12: Four day, and then Jimmy g got hurt in a game, and then Jacoby Bresquette Burssette got hurt.
Speaker 6: And so that week four game against the Buffalo Bills, we had a whole package of me going in running raid option if something were to come to it, and we never used that. So that's how confident they were in me as a quarterback for the team. The kid had actually Jacoby had a broken thumb and they chose.
Speaker 2: To over under two and a half years for Belichick at North Carolina, I want to say under back in the NFL, I hope.
Speaker 6: I think I think it's destined, right, It's got to be Pete Carroll's getting jobs. Why can't Bill?
Speaker 3: Why isn't he?
Speaker 6: I don't know. There's a lot of a lot of in cahoutanists with those those guys that own the teams. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did you and Brady have a sign or was there a code word like if he's coming to you changing a play?
Speaker 3: Was there something you can tell it now?
Speaker 6: Because yeah, it was called yellow sprinkle sugar cookies. He would say that to me, and I knew that. We just had to be dialed and then we wouldn't talk.
Speaker 3: Are you making that out? Are you making that up?
Speaker 6: No? It's real. Yellow sprinkle sugar cookies was the I'm telling you. It was like a Rambo call. We used to have a situation in Rambo or if there was knowing over you, you scream Rambo, Tom will get the ball throw to you. We also had yellow sugar sprinkled cookies, which then he would tell a kinesis mee what he wanted me to do? No, none of that. I mean, when you have so many reps with a football player that we had, and it wasn't just through our time with the Patriots, it was our time in the offseason. You start to think like each other. I mean, we see this with Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelsey where you know they know, you know, they're each other's eyes on the field. So if Travis is doing something, Patrick is probably trusting what Travis is doing and without seeing everything. Just like you know, if Patrick throws Travis somewhere, he's trusting that Patrick's not gonna throw him anywhere. I think a lot of it has to do with that and just knowing each other. There wasn't any There was little like swing things or little signals here and there that we could hit, or it could be an eye thing where you know, we give an eye if we talked about it sometime that week where if this guy was in this leverage, hey, let's let's do something else. There was a whole bunch of nonverbal communication going on, But my favorite was yellow.
Speaker 2: What does Mahomes have to do to surpass Tom Brady? In your opinion, he just got to do it for a long time. I mean, he's on pace. This is remarkable.
Speaker 6: If he goes out and does three in a row in a salary cap era, you can't say much, you know, I'm I'm as big as a Tom Brady guy as there is. And what the only difference is is the longevity. Tom had like three careers. He just so happened to only get two runs at those Super Bowl runs. Patrick's been doing that his whole thing, his whole career. But it'll be interesting for me to see the next chapter of Patrick Mahomes when some sort of adversity comes along, some player, you know, Travis retire, He's gonna be playing way longer after Travis, Chris Jones when he departures, you know, he's gonna be there by himself. Will he be able to retool and find guys to help him go out and win, which that's what Tom had to do and it took him ten years to do that to get to the next one. So you know, it's pretty crazy that if you really think about it, they've had a little bit of adversity with guys that may not be cornerstone players. But like the stuff that we went through to see Tom be able to compartmentalize and we had murders, we had back surgeries, we had gates, and he was still able to go out and win football games. So that's like the next step for me to see with Patrick Mahomes, this next part of his career when you know he doesn't have the whole band together.
Speaker 3: Give me a Brady story. I haven't heard.
Speaker 6: A Brady story.
Speaker 3: You haven't heard on or off the field.
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't really have. I'm pretty much given all my great Brady stories. But if if you actually I do have a really good one. But it's gonna be featured on Games with Names next week and then Dudes on Dudes my podcast, so you have to listen there.
Speaker 3: Oh, come on, you.
Speaker 6: Hit him? Have you ever seen Angel in the outfield?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know when they start doing this, well you know where that came from, right, that came from angel Soft. It's like it's like having what is it called?
Speaker 2: Uh, look at you? Look at you being Peyton Manning here? Well no, I'm telling you no.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then all of a sudden they make them play. You know, it's the same thing that like, all of a sudden, the angel Soft thing's gonna happen, and Angel is gonna come out of nowhere again to give you a thirty seconds so you can go do your business.
Speaker 2: Say I do think you were concussed? On the cam Chancellor hit again in the Super Bowl. You can you can finally admit it that you were kindly?
Speaker 6: Was it though, Dan?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I really wasn't.
Speaker 6: I'm a hip injury. Yeah it was. Did I get banged? But I knew that hit was coming. We were going lay across the middle twenty eight yards down the field. I mean it's cover three. There's a safety roman in there somewhere. Dan, it's like a loss of raptor over there.
Speaker 3: You can't see.
Speaker 2: I can still hear that. I'm on the sidelines. I can still hear that hit.
Speaker 6: If I was concussed, I wouldn't have been able to try to get up and go. We all know the fencing thing. We're also educated on concussions. Now, I got my eight year old daughter telling me she's got concussions because we talk about them so much. I mean, it's crazy. I'm not joking. These little kids. You know that they get a butterfly that hits their head and they got concussions. Now, it's gnarly.
Speaker 3: She's trying to draw a flag, trying to.
Speaker 6: Draw lively Patty Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Wow, you can't be doing that, oh, Angel Soft, that's that's not Julian Edelman. That's what he's promoting angel Soft toilet paper, the Big Game commercial that designed to be missed.
Speaker 3: Hey, great, designed to be missed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to give you guys enough time to go to Yes, the facility.
Speaker 6: That's pretty good, though, isn't that. That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good good, almost as good as your shot, because I still remember going into your studio probably what fifteen ten years ago and you were wet from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you couldn't stop me. You can only hope to contain me.
Speaker 6: Well, I technically had a torn ac all the time, so I wasn't stopping any Oh.
Speaker 3: So you're saying you could have stopped me easily, Oh my god, easily. You're so short. I would have been doing that the short thing.
Speaker 6: We would wait, Well, you can't. You can't give the forum any no, no, but this is street basket.
Speaker 3: Can't put your hands on me.
Speaker 6: You're gonna be banged up.
Speaker 2: It's hands on you, like, oh my god. All right, So I'm stopping the Hall of Fame campaign. You don't need that, you don't care about the Hall of Fame, and uh, I gotta wait for your great Brady story on your podcast. Okay, I don't know what we accomplished here today, but it's great seeing you.
Speaker 6: It's always a pleasure to get to talk to you.
Speaker 2: That's a Julian Edelman. Don't even consider him for the Hall of Fame because he doesn't want it. And he was concussed against cam Chancellor. God if he wasn't it. To this day, that sound is still with me. It resonates. So you had that and you catch against the Falcons and he I think he's a Hall of famer, Yes, Todd, just to be fair to.
Speaker 9: Julian, I don't think he said he's not. I'm interested, doesn't.
Speaker 6: Want to be.
Speaker 3: Just having a little fun.
Speaker 9: But you know how the media is I gonna like a run with that.
Speaker 1: It's Jolian Edelman demands you don't.
Speaker 6: Vote for him and all of it.
Speaker 3: He's backing. He will not show up at can No. I know, I know, well he's he just popped back up. We're just joking.
Speaker 7: Yes, if you put into google Chancellor hit it finishes on Edelman. I'm watching it again. It's third and fourteen. The Patriots are down ten. They need it. He hits Edelman, and Edelman does this like matrix thing with his body like a jellyfish and keeps going and he's stumbling and stumbling, and he has trouble getting up after.
Speaker 3: The play, Yes, because he's concussed.
Speaker 7: And they're trying to get him off the field and he's like, no, dice, everyone should watch this again.
Speaker 10: Oh God, I'm watching it right now. He looks confused when he gets back.
Speaker 3: Maybe not concussed, but confused.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll take a break, we'll get to your phone calls coming up seat, and we'll join us coming up top of the hour on the road back after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w app Well.
Speaker 2: Check in with Seaton. He's on the road somewhere in Virginia in the Mayo Van. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco they bring your car back to life. Affordable pink chobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. Christian and Wisconsin. Hi Christian, what's on your mind today? Hey Bud, Hey Bud.
Speaker 13: A longtime uncle, first time dad. Six two soft one ninety soft. Daan just wanted to call introduce the newest fan of the show at twenty inches and six pounds fifteen ounces, Please say hello to our son, James Andrew.
Speaker 3: Hi James, how are you? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Try not to use my deep voice. I tend to scare kids when I speak to them.
Speaker 3: Oh congratulations, Yeah, thank you, Dan.
Speaker 13: I've heard your parenting advice on daughters and uh, I guess just wanted to call in and get your advice on raising his son.
Speaker 2: Well, don't do what I did because I wanted him to be just like me instead of me understanding how he was his own person. And I kept thinking, then he loves sports the way I do or you know, uh we joked that, you know, maybe athleticism skipped a generation here. But I eventually had to come around to understanding him. And my wife said, he's not you. It's one of those uh you know, how many words is that the boy? It hit me right between the eyes. He's not you. And so was incumbent upon me to understand him. And we have a great relationship. But I kept thinking, he's going to be like me, So let your son be your son. He doesn't have to be you let him be himself. But congratulations, Christian. I have a lot of advice on girls because I got three of them and you're up there. One time at the dinner table, I got one crying, one laughing, and one it's not sure if she's going to cry or laugh. And I looked at my wife and I said, what the bleep has gone on? And she goes, yeah, that's what this is all about. That's who they are.
Speaker 9: Yes, Ton, And you said I think once that if you're willing to listen, they'll eventually tell you everything.
Speaker 2: The girls will tell you everything. But you have open lines of communication, very very important. Brian and Charlotte. Hi, Brian, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey Dan? How are you doing good? I got some more cherry pick stats for you if you're open to it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 8: So, the twenty twenty two twenty twenty three Kansas City Chiefs are the first and only NFL team in history to a a conference title and won a Super Bowl initiated from game any penalties at the end of the game. And you may ask, how can this be? That could be because usually during the playoffs the referees swallow their whipples. Well, whistles at the end of the game and just that, for whatever reason, hasn't occurred for the Ganden City Chiefs. Is this cherry picking stat or is it a stat that speaks to something?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I you know, probably both. It's just I don't get caught up in it. There's no conspiracy theory the Chiefs. Great teams get calls, they they make they make situations where they get calls. They're a well coached team. They do the right thing. And I know that you don't want to hear that, or most people don't want to hear that you're anti chief. I'm watching a dynasty. I'm watching the guy who could turn out to be the greatest quarterback of all time. And you know, unless you're a Philly fan, you should at least savor a little bit of this or enjoy a little bit of this.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the Steelers got calls back in the seventies there's no social media. Then, I'm sure the Niners got calls, the Cowboys got calls. It's social media, and I'm not on social media. I don't need to be guided by anybody on social media. I'm just watching and I enjoy it. Does he get calls? He makes those calls. Brady got him, Montana probably got I mean, yes, it happens. Jordan got him, Lebron got him, Magic got him, Bird got him. Yes, but they also made those situations. I enjoy it.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: Kansas City wins great, If Philadelphia wins great, I couldn't care less. All I ever want is a great game, something that lives up to two weeks of hype. But maybe it comes down to a call that maybe Kansas City doesn't get that call in the Super Bowl, people would love that. Irony uh Mark in Texas? Hi, Mark, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan?
Speaker 3: They Mark?
Speaker 14: Start watching in ninety one in Argentina and listen to you in two thousand and two. Thanks for taking my call first time. Al Davis was the mentor to Jerry Jones, and sadly it looks like in a lot of ways, Jones' career is ending like al Davis. I believe the last eight or nine years the Raiders missed the playoff, the last eight or nine years of Davis's life, So it's a sad ending for both.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, thank you, Mark, But al Davis wasn't afraid to hire personalities, as he said, coach. So therein lies a little bit of the difference here. Did it slip away from mount the end, yes, said do. But I don't think Al thought that he was the coach. Now he was the general manager. But I think you know, he turned it over, you know, when you're bringing in John Madden. So I don't think he was bringing in puppets or somebody who was malleable. Hey you got that title, but I'm running everything you know here. I think Al Davis probably started out that way, but he was brilliant final hour on the way, we'll check in with Seaton. We're going to play the best Hire Worst Hire game. What's Jimmy Butler doing. We'll try to explain that final hour on this Tuesday, Dan and The Dan Edgstan Patrick Show.