Speaker 1: This is Master's in Business with Barry rid Holds on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This week on the podcast, I have an extra special guest. John Hope Bryant is a fascinating entrepreneur and philanthropist. He is the founder of Operation Hope and one of the leading voices for financial literacy in America. He was vice chair of President Bush's Council on Financial Literacy and sat on a similar council on Financial Capability for President Obama. He has written five books with more coming. Really a fascinating person who operates in a realm that I think a lot of people in finance overlook, and he's really moving the needle in terms of having people take control of their own financial life in a way that benefits not just them, but the entire economy, in all of society. I found on our conversation to be just compelling and fascinating, and I think you will also so, with no further ado, my conversation with Operation Hope's John Hope Bryant.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me and honor to be here. By the way, my last book is Up from Nothing. That's my favorite one. That's my story of my failures, not my successes. I like that.
Speaker 2: I like a tail. We tend to learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes. But we'll circle back to that in a bit. Let's start a little bit with your background. You tell a story in one of your books of a banker who shows up at your elementary school class, and that kick started your interest in finance.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a transformational experience to have this banker come in my classroom. On several levels. I had an economics lesson, I had a life lesson. I had an epiphany. I had a race relations lesson. I had a self esteem and confidence lesson. Those two things finally came together. I had aha about how the world really works. I figured out how to keep my friends from getting murdered in the streets because when I was nine years old, a year before this class, actually the same years as class, my best friend George was murdered on a street in Compton with my next door neighbor tweet selling drugs. Even though he was a student, he hung out with the wrong character, the wrong kids. And character is not the most important thing in business or whatever. It's the only thing really and culture. Culture then informs characters. So culture my neighborhood was a thug culture that you were respected if you were you know, hard, a tough guy. And so my friend, my best friend, who was very, very smart, did not have good parents like I had, who told me I could do anything I wanted to do, and who loved me and told me. My mother she told me she loved me every day of my life. So there's a difference barrier between being broken being poor. Being brokens economic, but being poor as a disabling frame of mind, a depressed condition of your spirit. You must vow never to be poor again. So because I had this self esteem based on my mother, and I had self love, just not self confidence. My next door neighbor, oh well, my best friend had self confidence but did not have self esteem, so he was influenced by those around him. He was murdered then when I was seven years old, the guy who saved my life because long story short, my mother moved away from my father arguments over money, domestic abuse involving money. When I was five years old, they fought, she moved. We were staying with her relative to save some money for her first home. The guy who was dating, oh see, dating my mother's cousin saved my life on the front porch when I was swallowing my tongue, and I just idolized this guy. What I didn't realize was he was ashamed to admit that he could not afford to float the expenses of his immediate family and hours. So he went to go sell drugs, also part time, and he was murdered by the drug dealers, for whom this was their territory. They came around the corner in a truck, Barry. I'm sitting on the porch waiting for him to come home. I'm seven years old. This is my idol. He saved my life. They hit him in the truck on a bicycle. I can see it in my mind's eye. Wow. They drag him down the street in front of me until he was dead. They did it in front of our house to send a message. And so here was You know, these are two stories, maybe three before I'm nine years old, of bad economics, bad culture, and a bad business plan. So now I'm nine years old, Berry and this banker comes in my classroom. It's home economics class doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He's white, He has a blue suit, a white shirt of red tie, he's six ' to two, and he starts talking about money and free enterprise and capitalism and ownership and balance sheets and all this stuff. And I'm sitting there mesmerized.
Speaker 2: You're nine years old at I'm nine.
Speaker 1: And I'm completely entranced. And I remember probably the second or third class, because by the third class I was actually wearing a suit, the only suit I had, which was my Sunday suit to school, trying to emulate the suit that I saw this guy in. By the way, this was a crush velvet three p suit with a ruffled shirt and a big bow tie. So you can imagine I got beat up when I went to school. So I raised my hand Barry, and I said, excuse me, sir, I had enough courage to ask this question, what do you do for a living? And how'd you get rich? Legally? And Barry I was dead serious, like I was, just completely It was to me it was a common sense question because everybody in my neighborhood was a thug, a drug dealer, or a criminal. I mean, nobody had legit wealth.
Speaker 2: So this guy's a banker talking to a room full of nine and ten years old, Yeah, how does he answer the question? What do you do for a living, and how do you get rich legally?
Speaker 1: He said, I'm a banker and I finance entrepreneurs. And I said, what's an entrepreneur? I never heard that word my entire life. French word built something out of nothing, create value. What's an entrepreneur? I mean, no one's ever taught me that. So I went home to the dictionary. For those in the you know, current generation, it's a Google search, and I opened the dictionary to the word entrepreneur. And my whole life changed. And when I came back to school, one more thing, what's a banker? And how many of them are you? And you did you say one more time that your job is to lend people like me to be an entrepreneur money. I said, I need to get this whole script straight, because here my friends were getting murdered and jailed and shot and all this kind of you know, over economics, over some you know, trying to sell drugs or sell TV said or whatever it is in the hood.
Speaker 2: Hustle up some money instead of launching something that was very foreign to that part of the world.
Speaker 1: And so when this guy told me that we're at that time ten thousand banks hundreds of thousands of bankers.
Speaker 2: In your neighborhood or were you an unbanked real.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it was, you know, it was. It was so few you knew where they were. Put it that way, right, And this guy was a banker, to be full disclosure, it was a banker for Bank of America. So I knew what Bank of America was because my mother. It was a big deal to go to the banking over to a past book account, or to go there with my mother every couple of weeks, you know, and have or my dad to make an appointment with the local the local branch banker might have been the mayor. I mean he was a very important guy back in those days. But it was pretty rare occurrence. So one, I was shocked that there was an industry that was whose job it was to lend a risk taker money. Two, I was shocked that it was legal. Three I shocked that it was an actual occupation for a guy who was a legitimate hessler. And my whole life changed and I left there. I went, as I said, open the dictionary. I started seeing the muffler shop as a business. By the way, the different between an entrepreneur and a business man as a or a businesswoman. Those are those things are different, different risk tolerance and different business plan. But I started seeing the nail salon as a business. I started seeing the I think a barbershop. All these things were businesses. I never seen it that way before, and I went back to school bery, sir, your business card? Can I have one? Okay? What's the sixteenth floor thing? You know? There's no floor above the sixth floor in Compton and that's the courthouse. What's in the sixteen floor? And where is that at? And by the way, how can you show the coming here in the middle of the day. My mother is an hourly job at mcdonaldalla's Aircraft. She's got two fifteen minute breaks in lunch. How is this you here in the middle of the day. It's called a salary. You have a white shirt. My father wore a blue shirt. How do you keep the shirt clean? Oh? You just do work with mathematics and intellectual activities. You don't do any dirty work, you know. And how's it that you? What's this car? This in the parking lot. It's got plates on it and and a tag and it's brand new. Translation is not hot? Right? I mean? And it's beautiful. What do you do? And this world opened up to me man, and I was done. And so mister Mac Max liquor Store six to two and also six two black man own Max Liquor store. And I realized for the first time, Barry, this was a businessman. And I went to mister Mac. First of all, I didn't know there was a black businessman in comptence. So congratulations, mister Mac. You're selling the wrong kind of candy, he said, excuse me, I said, you have a liquor store. You're probably good at liquor, but you have a candy rack in the liquor store and you're selling wrong kind of candy. Go away, a little boy. I've got a college degree, that's nice. I've got cavities. You're selling wrong kind of candy. I'm nine at that point. That's ten. So he said, look, you've got a lot of hootsba. I'll hire you. I'm gonna put you at the counter.
Speaker 2: I want you in charge of the candy.
Speaker 1: Right, I said no. I declined the offer. He said, I'm gonna pay you top dollar for you know, you come after school. I'm gonna pay you. You'll be paid more than any of your friends. I didn't want to do it. And by the way, Barry, this is analogous today to the basketball player with a contract, to the rapper who can sing really well and it's rocking a mic, to a baseball player, or anybody who is performing at top dollar, but they're cashing the check, they're not writing it. And if you are a great performer, no matter what your industry is, you'll get paid a lot. You may not build wealth, but you'll get a lot of income. I didn't realize what I was doing back then, but I was making a choice. I was like, I don't want to be a performer. I don't want to be your performer. You're the owner and I get to perform. I don't want that. Tell you what I want. Make me a box boy. Excuse me, Yeah, I want to do stocking, he says, the worst job I got. That's what I want. I worked there for three weeks and quit because then I knew what the wholesale rate was, in the retail rate, I knew what the markup was, I knew what supplying the man looked like, what things were moving, what wasn't. I quit once I knew where he bought his inventory. He was on the side of the box. I went home, got my mother, sold my mother on making a forty dollars investment. She made me pay her back by the way, and my new business, and went to Smart and Final and Irish food store. Was why about his inventory, and got put in business. And I actually put him out of the candy business not soon after that. I mean, three hundred dollars a week on a forty dollars investment.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing. So let's talk a little bit about a quote of yours that's very relevant to this. Persistence and resilience are more powerful than pedigree and raw intelligence. Explain what you mean by that. Although I think I have a suspicion as to where that came from.
Speaker 1: I think that ties directly into what I said about self esteem and confidence and the difference. It also ties into the race relations lesson that I got by meeting this white banker who was actually helping me to understand the free enterprise system. So my experience with a white person was different than the folks growing up. My folks growing up, but my friends growing up, they'd get hit over the head with by a police officer putting them over. It was a negative experience as a result of that. They didn't like white people, they didn't trust white people, didn't want to talk to white people. My experience was this banker who basically opened my head up to a whole new world. And so I wasn't intimidated by him. I actually found an affinity with him. I didn't want to be him, on to be me, but I was not both reposed. I was ne either rapost or you know, I wasn't. I wasn't trying to be him, nor was I trying to avoid him. I thought he was useful and he had a place in my world. So that then relates to self esteem. If I don't like me, I'm not gonna like you. If I don't feel good about me, I'm not gonna feel good about you. If I don't respect me, then how can I ever respect you. If I don't have a purpose in my life, I'll make your life a living hell. Whatever goes around comes around. That's self esteem. Self confidence is confidence put in action. So I'm confident and I execute on that, then then I have confidence. And that is where my hustle comes from. That's where my resiliency comes from that self esteem applied through a with a skill in the marketplace. Over time, you start taking no for vitamins, you start becoming incredibly resilient. Hard to hit. It's hard to hit a moving target, as I said earlier, And if I don't give up, you can't beat me. When you're sleep, I'm working. When you get up, I'm already. I'm already prepared for the day. When you go to when you were going to children in the evening, I'm ready. I'm preparing my next business plan. I didn't have compounded capital. I had compounded hustle, and and so I had time. I didn't have money, and I decided to use that time in a way that made me bulletproof or or harder to compete with, because I was going to be smarter than anybody else in the room, and I was gonna work harder. So I think that resiliency piece never giving up, never give again. Redefining Barry success as going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Mm hmm, I think that's everything.
Speaker 2: Let's take the reverse of that, because I think this other quote is so telling. The most dangerous person in the world is the one with no hope. That that's the flip side of resiliency and persistency. What is the challenge when you encounter either a person or an entire region where there's no hope.
Speaker 1: I really wish we had three hours versus thirty minutes to talk about this one topic, because it's everything Verry. I won't go down this rabbit hole, but at another time, and we should talk about why African American experience is different in this country from even Afro Caribbean, from those from Africa or other dark people from around the world. Why is the African American experience different. It was how we were treated, and that treatment messed up our head, our psyche, which is where real wealth sits.
Speaker 2: So I really like that insight that your psyche is where real wealth resides. Yeah, I mean, I've never heard it quite phrase that way.
Speaker 1: I'll be even more blunt. Poverty sustenance. Poverty is a roof over your head, food on your table, reasonable health, It's a sustenance the ability to sustain yourself. All other forms of poverty are mindset based. So whether I believe I can or whether I believe I can't, I'm right. Is the glass half full? Or half empty, depends who's looking at the glass. So when you tell people for two hundred, when you enslave them for two hundred and seventy years, you destroy their family structures so they have nothing to believe in. You destroy the ability to protect their mate from harm, to destroy their self esteem and their sense of independent you know, agency, There you go. You don't give them education, so they don't know any They can't only have a skill set. You don't teach them about the free enterprise system. You basically want to use their body, in their mind, the body because they're agricultural geniuses from Africa. They want them to work that's land in the south. But you don't want them thinking, and you certainly don't want them believing. And you do that for three hundred years plus, really two thirds of American experience. It doesn't You can't help but have a group of people who have low faith, low confidence, low trust, who are cynical, not skeptical, and as a result of that, and who have crappy role models. And if you hang around nine bro people, you'll be the tenth. So now you have a group of people who don't know, who are smart, brilliant, amazing. With the rules of published and the playing fielder's level, they excel. Think about the arts, think about professional sports, think about politics, rules of published playing fielders level. African Americans in this example kill it. But in capitalism and free enterprise, there is no rule book, and we were denied that whole lesson and the best we were taught was how to make the dollar, not to how to build it. And so this hopelessness you talk about comes easily from the population that it has that experience, and who has descendants who are now looking at parents unsuccessful at commercially or economically, who did not get a chance or a shot, whose mother was not called missus, who's dad who was called mister or doctor or whatever. And so you have these kids who wake up on on a scale of one to ten on anxiety nine and they're on they're on edge. And you do something to that kid, tap them on the shoulder, he may swing on you. Now now the kid's in jail, okay, And so the energy is used for all the wrong stuff. And now you start becoming expert at things are going to get you locked up drug dealing and underground. So you have genius, you have brilliant. I mean, what's that a drug dealer, Barry? If not, I mean it's an illegal, unethical entrepreneur, business person. You understand import, exports, finance, marketing, wholesale, retail, customer service, security, territory logistics. These are not dumb people. They have a dumb business plan. They're an underground economy because they don't trust the mainstream economy. So this hopelessness that you just mentioned is everything for repressing the human spirit. We've got to turn that around. My whole life's work is really summarizing one sentence to unleash untapped human potential at scale. And you think about if this issue is racism real, of course it is.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, but no, no no. But here's a twist, and you may probably never heard this, one African American, what is race the only issue? No? In fact, i'd argue race is not the primary issue today today, not one hundred years ago, not fifty years ago. If it was Barry, you wouldn't have poor whites, poor whites who are segregated from wealthy whites economically. You would not have African Caribbeans and Africans from Africa who actually do better in some ways than African Americans on ownership issues. If she was just race, all whites would be immensely successful, all blacks would be immensely repressed. You have the sub sectors because mindset has it provided a differentiated path. So what I am saying is you can level the playing field with a business plan based on Hope.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit about what Operation Hope does. But I want to start by asking why don't we teach financial literacy in school? Why isn't this a core course offering across the entire country.
Speaker 1: A couple of very practical reasons. Number One, a school district is a business, and like every business, they want revenue and they'd like to have a surplus profit. What they don't want is an unfunded mandate. And as well meaning as financial literacy is, it's got two problems. One, it doesn't have a budget allocation from Congress, and the Department of Education does not set curriculum. They're a budget. They're a check writing organization. They give you criteria at the state and local level, and they give you money. They incentivize you with grant payments from the from the federal government to meet that criteria. The school. There's no there's no funding base for financial literacy. I got President Bush, George W. Bush, to make financial literacy the policy of the US federal government. I was naive Berry because I thought I didn't realize that when he inserted the word federal government that just meant government employees, that that meant the federal government. I also was naive by thinking that if I wrote a letter, which he allowed me to do with Charles Schwab, we wrote a letter. He was Charles Schwab was chairman, I was vice chairman to every one of the fourteen thousand school district superintendents that was around in two thousand. I think it was nine or ten that they school districts would just see the White House letterhead and understand the nobleness of this work, and oh, my god, of course crickets I got. We got. We got not one response, really, not.
Speaker 2: One recive zero. A letter goes to every school district on the.
Speaker 1: White House stationary, signed by the chairman and vice chairman of the President's Council of Financial Literacy. Crickets because there was an unfunded mandated in their view, and they're like they're shaking the paper, going hey.
Speaker 2: Where's the check?
Speaker 1: Is there a check attached to this? And number two? And I think that they were like, I'm sure there's another note coming after this with a congressional allocation, and it never came. Number two. Money is emotional, So money, unlike math, money is highly emotional and people want to spend money. They don't want to talk about it, including teachers, superintendents, school board members, city council people, members of congress. People are most people have too much month at the end of their money.
Speaker 2: Too much month at the end of their money.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, they're living from paycheck to paycheck. Seventy percent of the US economy has been recently shown. I think it was a Bloomberg report, actually that half of all people in this country making one hundred thousand dollars a year paycheck to paycheck to a third of those making a quarter million dollars a year living from paycheck to paycheck. So this is not just poor people, it's not Almost everybody is struggling with cash flow. But they want to look good, they want to look successful, they want to go on a vacation, they want to go shopping. So people think, they'd like to think that credit cards are cash and they don't want anybody disavowed them. With that belief, I can't be broken still have checks left. The one was that they want to be able to say yes to their children, yes to their wives or spouse. That insecurity if you will of wanting to say yes and live the life. Conflicts with a budget, conflicts with a limit, conflicts with having to sit down and understand if your outflow exees your inflow, then your overhead it'll be your downfall. This was my dad's problem. My dad thought the cash flow was profit. He had a construction company and he'd bid a job at a thousand dollars. It costs five hundred, but he'd outbid the other guy who's bidding a job or fourteen hundred. He thought he was successful. Well, the more you if you live that way you make a dollar spend a dollar fifty, the more money make the broker you get. So by the end of my dad's life, I was taking care of a man who had a gas station, an eight unit apartment building, our own home and nursery business, semien contracting business. I probably missed a couple but he lost it all, all of our generational wealth because when you don't know better, you can't do better. And my dad didn't know what he didn't know. Goes back to what I was saying earlier about that slave experience. My dad's dad was a sharecropper, probably born in a slavery in eighteen seventy one in Mississippi. Was certainly a sharecropper. My dad was a businessman. I'm an entrepreneur. I'm obsessed with financial literacy because I think it's the civil rights issue of this generation.
Speaker 2: Say that again, financial literacy is the civil rights issue of this generation. That's a fascinating take on that. Go into more detail about that, because I've never again I've never heard anyone quite hon in just that way.
Speaker 1: Look at where we are right now.
Speaker 2: In the center of one of the wealthiest cities in the wealthiest country in the world.
Speaker 1: And in the center of a studio made by an entrepreneur. And this whole thing works on money. This whole city works on money. It sets public policy in many ways in the world because it's the center of money. The even slavery, real talk was about money. Of course, everything is not about God or love. It's probably about money. But do we understand money? What did I say about how I mean. Malcolm X said, We've been bamboozled, We've been tricked, We've been fooled. You can say, you know what Andrew Jung said, who is doctor King's right arm? That to live in the system of free enterprise and not to understand the rules of free enterprise must be the very definition of slavery. So if you're in a system and you don't understand how it works, and you think the cash flow is profit or getting that bag, getting that dollar, getting that money's actually going to advance and shoe when in reality inflation is out running your ability to even compete on a wage basis. You're not going to build wealth. You have a lifestyle, but you build wealth in your sleep. In your sleep. That's compounding. But forty one percent of black folks own a home, seventy five percent of white folks own a home. There's a delta thirty five thirty thirty five percent of natural home ownership. The black folks are missing. But no one taught gave us a memo on money and wealth creation. We don't own stocks, we don't own bonds, we're not starting businesses with employees and technology ninety six percent of black businesses don't have an employee. I mean, and how do you build a business in how do you build wealth in America business? How do you buil wealth in their business? Creation is a primary portost So my Jewish friends did it, by the way, it is the level of playing field in an unleveled world is it became owners and that gave them a different version of social justice. And I think there's a model, by the way, for African Americans and other groups trying to come up from nothing. To me, the color is not white or black, it's not red or blue. It's green actually, as in the color of US currency. Barry, It's always been green, is my point. But we just never got the memo. That's my book, the third book, I think.
Speaker 2: So let's keep this at the school level. How do we teach financial literacy in schools? How do we get that funded? And at what grade should we be starting that process?
Speaker 1: We should be starting as early as possible, fifth grade, sixth grade, kindergarten. We are yeah, yes, nice thing. Yet we have Operation Hope is the official kids accounts manager for the Atlanta Public school System, and the Atlanta City Council funded us a few million dollars to open kindergarten accounts.
Speaker 2: Meaning what what do kindergarteners get through operation?
Speaker 1: Underprivileged kids in kindergarten will get a bank account, a Savors account to start for fifty bucks. We will match it for fifty bucks and then rap financial literacy around that for every kid in kindergarten all the way through middle school. And the reason that this is so important is studies have already proven that if a kid has a bank account at kindergarten, they're half as likely, sorry fifty percent likely to go to college.
Speaker 2: If you have more likely to go to college just because you have a bank account, that's right, going and target. Is that driven because the family has money or is it driven because of a whole philosophical viewpoint that, Oh, I understand how the economy works, how the market works, and I want to advance myself.
Speaker 1: It's what you said earlier, Barry. It's a difference between being broken being poor, difference between sustenance poverty and mindset. Now your mindset is connecting the dots between education and aspiration. Why am I going to school? What's the point of all this? Oh, of a bank account? What's the point of the bank account. Oh the bank houn's tied to a salary or or okay, now, okay, so this is.
Speaker 2: Oh so it's a financial world that you might not known about.
Speaker 1: Otherwise your mind opens up right and so and if you and you're two thirds more likely to graduate from college if yours money in the account. This is unbelievable. It's and it's it's so low ha hanging fruit. It changes the endorphins in the right side of your brain where hope, well being, faith, confidence, joy and what it's slavery rob It robbed hope, It robbed self esteem, and robbed belief, It robbed confidence. Now you're gone from a surviv from a thriving and a winning mentality to a surviving mentality where your life is ready fire aim. And now the world's got you distracted with your survival and you're surviving. Now you're not competing with the capitalists. And what this does is get people at the bottom of the wrong competing with the capitalists, which is, by the way, what this country needs every one hundred years is a new Henry Ford. This country needs a new Steve Jobs, or a new Tony wrestler, or a new you know whoever your hero, Shiro is this country needs every big business wants a small one. Goldman Sachs. There is a guy named Goldman and a guy named Sax, like financial services, door to door. Where's the black version of that? Where's the Latino version of that? Where's the Indian version? Where's the poor white version of that? By the way, NASCAR came from moonshine runner in the Appalachian Mountains. These guys realize, I can't keep running from the police and selling moonshine, but I drive really well. That's Nascar. We have to legitimize the hustle.
Speaker 2: The ripe business model, not an illegal one.
Speaker 1: That's what happened to me with that banker in my classroom. So it has to be you can't just be a curriculum barried on your point of how to teach it. It has to be a real life exploration of connecting education with aspiration. It has to be life experiences that the kid and the parents and the family can relate to. And you have to have a role model that experiences that with that kid in the classroom who looks like the person that we're trying to emulate. Right, So you need that banker or that entrepreneur or that business person or a barrier or John to come in at least, you know, three or four times during the coursework, t the endorphins in this guy's this kid's male or female's head about Wow, by the ways, role modeling, this is who I could be because because in you're in my household, my guess is there's somebody in the household who we could emulate. But most of these kids, seventy percent of black households don't have a man at home. So your mother is working two jobs, so you don't see her. She's trying to keep the lights on. You don't see a positive role model who's male. So where's your role models in the streets? I mean, it makes perfect sense. So why are you being a rap? Why do you want to be a rap star, an athlete or a drug dealer in the hood because that's what you see. So we've got to give kids dumpling different to see. This could literally reset everything. And I believe you do this right. In urban black and brown neighborhoods, white poor, rural neighborhoods, struggling actually working class neighborhoods, you add two to three percent of GDP in five to ten years for America as a country. Because the bottom of the pyramid gets rehabilitated, you get them back in the game of economic value creation. Get the credit score up through our coaching at Operation Hope, which is we're raising credit scores at Hope fifty four points in six months, one hundred and twenty points in twenty four months. Nothing changes your life more than God or love than moving your credit score one hundred and twenty points. We're reducing debt by thirty five hundred bucks in a year. We're increasing savings five hundred and fifteen hundred dollars in that same year for somebody making forty eight thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: This is Operation Hope. This is what you're doing. So let's talk about where you operate, how many people you reach. Just started in Atlanta?
Speaker 1: No, No, started in south central Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so it started on the west.
Speaker 1: Coast Rodney King Riots nineteen ninety ten.
Speaker 2: That's what that was the initial motivation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the new work started in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Okay, what brought you to Atlanta originally?
Speaker 1: Andrew Young Andrew J. Young, Ambassador Mayor, civil rights icon Andrew j. Young, the guy who's on the balcony with doctor King when he was assassinated in sixty eight. He became a mentor and a role model to me. It was the only black man one of two who were who was international when I was twenty twenty five years old who happened to be black. I was like, I want to be an international businessman, the other being Quincy Jones. Now this is sad. Here I have. I don't have like a you know, in this example, I don't have a Bloomberg as my role model who's a businessman, or a Tony rest Or whoever you're or Michael Raghetty, whoever your you know, mindset is, Henry Cravits or whatever. I had, you know, a entertainment uh genius Quincy Jones, and I had a civil rights icon Andrew Young. So here here you go again. I'm starving role models. I went with what I had. But the only two international people I knew at that time who were black were these two.
Speaker 2: You could do worse than Quincy Jones and Andrew Young.
Speaker 1: I could do worse.
Speaker 2: Not not not bad role models, just not enough of.
Speaker 1: Them, and maybe and not rightly positioned in capitalism and free enterprise, not squarely by the way they would admit it. And so I became good friends with Quincy Jones, and I became dear, almost family with Andrew Young. Thank god, it changed my life. And so I remember Quincy told me, if you think you're in the music business and you don't own music rights, publishing rights, rights music, you're just a temporary performer. And I've already given you a quote from Andrew Young, who shows you. I mean, he's built the He built the tenth largest economy in the country, the only international city in the South, Atlanta, Georgia, on the bones of diversity and inclusion as an economic model. Uh and and and of course you know we can see today that the moral capital in America, which is Atlanta, is also the largest economic engine in the South, built on like New York, diversity of inclusion and good common sense. So I moved to Atlanta for a number of reasons. But I remember one conversation in particular, Barry. Uh. There was a city of there was a mayor I don't mention his name, but there was a mayor in la who saw me as a threat by my age, and he asked me to schedule a meeting with Andrew Youngs. He knew that Andrew Andrew youngs my mentor. I did that. There was a meeting in LA and I was sitting on the floor because this particular mayor was sending a message to me. There was no seat for me, so I sat on the floor. Fine with me. I didn't care. And by the way, I should say for the audience this was so they don't want to try to guess this. This was twenty years ago, so nobody thinks it was recent. And after the meeting, Andrew Young was at the airport and he said to me, you know, you got to move out LA. Either they see you as a threat and think you want to become mayor, or they're going to treat you like a child for the rest of your life because you grew up here. And he said, John, a prophet is only without honor in his hometown. That's biblical. And he said, in Atlanta they called doctor King in Atlanta Marty M. L. Michael his original name. They were digging at him. That's why staff called him doctor King to give him gravitas, and had twenty eight thirty years old. It was only five to seven Doctor King was five seven hundred sixty pounds, so he was like, we had to give him some gravitas. You got to move out of this city and come back as an honored citizen. Later on he was completely right. And the other thing was, you know, history in la is two years old. I don't mean the as a diss I mean la is a place where you reinvent yourself, constantly reinvention. So it's a great for an entrepreneur who's trying to make it. Well, I had already made it to a certain degree. What I was looking for in now was purpose, and Atlanta was steeped in purpose in civil rights history. So I went there and created civil rights, from civil rights in the streets to civil rights in the c suites. This is an extension of doctor King and Andrew Young's unfinished work, an extension of what Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass were doing in the eighteen sixty five with the Freedman's Bank. It was. It was an extension from the streets to the suites, a discussion about green, free enterprise capitalism and economics, ownership in wealth creation at scale to set people free using the free enterprise system.
Speaker 2: So let me jump in here. We're talking about Atlanta. You set up Operation Hope or you expand Operation Hope in Atlanta. How many students are you reaching and how large would you like to see this get?
Speaker 1: So the student pieces is cool, but it's almost like a pilot project given on our larger work. I mean, it's fifty thousand kids in the Atlanta public school system, So you can do the math there. You know, we've got We've got ten percent of that in the kindergarten kids as a target, but a million we taught a million kids financial literacy. That's still to be very small beings or our target. There are forty million black people in this country. There are one hundred million blacks and poor whites in this country. You have one hundred and thirty million people who are financially bruised in this country, including working class, middle class people. My goal is to become America's Angel coach. My goal has become the Starbucks of financial inclusion, the Walmart of financial literacy at scale, the Federal Reserve of the hood. I have two hundred and forty five locations today. Barry two hundred and forty five locations in forty six states, how.
Speaker 2: Many people in total have you worked with through Operation Hume.
Speaker 1: We've had over four million clients and we have two hundred and forty five locations in forty six states, where the largest financial inclusion and financial literacy coaching organization in the country. We are inside also well, we're the only nonprofit allowed to operate inside of a bank branch in US history. We're the only nonprofit in Fortune five hundred companies doing financial coaching for employees, including Delta Airlines all ninety thousand of their employees. So much so that Delta CEO has given one thousand dollars emergency saviors account to everybody goes through our financial coaching work, all of his ninety thousand employees. That's how much he believes. I can't go to a Delta terminal without people talking about their financial coaching in the thousand dollar savings account that they've gotten. I can't go through an airport without a TSA agent screaming out their credit score, what you've.
Speaker 2: Worked with TSA and all their staff members doing this.
Speaker 1: Just my clients happen to be working at TSA. But we are a coach for ups. We are a coach for Harley Davidson. We are a coach for the Venetian Hotel employees in Las Vegas. We are a coach. I've already mentioned Delta Airlines. We have a big I can't mention it, but there's a big company day. One of the big probably one of the top five employees in the country is just signed up with us. So we're in banks, whether it's Truest or Wells Fargo or Bank of America, and they're ordered over one hundred branches from US. You know, that's business. One hundred branches is a business decision, not a charity decision. We're getting the bank out of the no business barry and back into the yes business. In other words, if I can get your criteria sort it, get your savings account up, get your debt down, get your credit score up, the bank and say yes.
Speaker 2: That's an attractive customer to any Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's why I'm saying this is a business case, not a charity case that we're making.
Speaker 2: So let let me focus on the financial literacy side. There's been some academic research that shows financial literacy as a tendency to fade over time. How do you keep this front of mind with people? How do you not let the hard won one skills atrophy over time?
Speaker 1: Put your credit score on your phone. Let's start there, because it lives. Oh my god. Yes, it is a complete living barometer of how you're doing. We have a credit score index that's powered by experience as an example, their data from experience. I've measured every zip code in America by credit score. You tell me your zip code, I'll tell you how you.
Speaker 2: Live in the Average credit score within a zip code will give you a standard of living for that space.
Speaker 1: For that reason, oh, it'll tell you how long you're gonna live.
Speaker 2: Really, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: In a five any credit score neighborhood, you lived at sixty one.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like very attractive life.
Speaker 1: Social Security at sixty five. Yeah. In a five any credit cord neighborhood, you'll have a high school education. Sixty one percent of people. I'm sorry, sixty one percent of people have a high school education in one parent household. These are the averages in a five any credit cocred neighborhood and a five atty credits cord neighborhood. The biling crimes per thousand is off the charts. The the the all the negatives explode. Home ownership level is sub forty percent, twenty five percent unemployment, unemployments through the roof. It's all predictable. Right, you go into a seven hundred credit score neighborhood of any race.
Speaker 2: Now that's good, But then what credits go to?
Speaker 1: Like a twenty Yes, but anything above seven hundred is free?
Speaker 2: Is fine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, banks say yes to you at seven hundred. You had to seven hundred bearer you lived at eighty one years old? Wow, ten minutes away Chicago. These zip codes are ten minutes away in I mean most cities. Manhattan's Burroughs is slightly different, but most cities, these zip codes are ten minutes away. These realities. So seven hundred credit SCRD neighborhood, you live to ninety sorry to eighty one plus, you have a high school graduation rate of over ninety percent. They're going into college. You have two parent households. Vioding crimes are non existent. It's a complete world. So here's what you see in a five any credit score neighborhood. Right check casher next to a payday loan lender, next to a rent to own store, next to a title lender, next to a liquor store next to a pawn shop. And by the way, Berry, this is not just black and brown urban neighborhoods. It's poor, white, rural See you got me, You finished the sentence for me.
Speaker 2: I'm very well aware that people seem to be you know, whenever we look at entitlement spending, and some people think there's a racial component. The biggest consumer of government assistance are poor rural whites in America.
Speaker 1: And the number one group dying in America is a white high school educated white man dying of essentially opioiddiction depression. So what I'm doing is taking the emotion out of this conversation. I believe I love math because it doesn't have an opinion. That's a melody hops in quote. And if I can replace the emotion with a science, with a mathematical equation or a credit score, okay, and that credit score changes is dynamic, It changes you know, every week, that keeps your attention, that keeps you it's an individual scorecard. I can't Here's what's beautiful. If you're an underserved person or somebody who's used to being used to racism dogging you or sexism dogging you, I can't get in your heart and change how you feel about me. I can get into my own head and change my credit score. It's control of my own destiny. And the credit score is a trending indicator for all other things hope, faith, belief, confidence, well being, trust. These things you need to access banking, financial services of market economy investors. So I believe we found a burning bush. You move, I'm gonna say something on your podcast that I rarely said to anybody. You move credit scores one hundred points in this country. You stabilize this country.
Speaker 2: We're talking unemployment, poverty, crime, health, health, and life expectancy all tied to credits.
Speaker 1: Plus economic vitality, prosperity, business creation, stable families. I've got five pillars of success in my newest book, Up from Nothing. Here's the five things you need to succeed. As much education as you can shove down your throat. Understanding, financial literacy, how the economy works, the math of the matter, family structure and resiliency, self esteem and confidence, role models in an environment. You have five of those things, you're going to be immensely successful. You have four of those things, you're going to be very successful. You have three of those things, you will pop your head over failure. You have less than three of those things, You're stuck. Who has less than three of those five things? Poor whites, African Americans, Native American Indians.
Speaker 2: So you were recognized by Oprah Winfrey's quote use your Life Award and you were also named American Bankers Innovator of the Year award. What do these recognitions mean to you? Given what you've done in your life to move the needle for so many people.
Speaker 1: You combine those recognitions with CEOs of fortune five hundred companies today suggesting that I'm a conscience on capitalism, which several big time CEOs have said, including the CEO of walmart In, Delta, etc. And it says, this is a bit of my This is my version of a Nobel Peace Prize, which is really a gateway or substitution clause for having this conversation with mainstream power structure. When you have these recognitions, it allows you, It gives you entree into a door or doors in the c suites where you can have a conversation as a peer, as an equal. So I'm not talking at people anymore. I'm talking with people, and they understand they have value, and they have credibility and success, but they also value in a different way my credibility and success. And I've had enough private sector success also in growing and building enterprises. They know I'm a legit capitalist. I mean I've clipped a coupon on Wall Street. I've done I've run a balance sheet in an income statement, etc. Etc. So there's respect in consideration, not just for my beliefs, but for what have I guess what we have built in how we performed, which allows us to have a conversation that's different, that allows us to create a coalition of the willing of leaders, which we're building now. I mean CEO of Walmart and I are co chairing Financial Literacy for All dougriat Millin. Our goal is to get eighty percent of the fortune five hundred by twenty twenty five to embed financial literacy into its business plan, not to its philanthropy plan. It's business plan, just like healthcare was forty years ago. So our mission in schools is to get financial literacy funded by Congress K through college so they answer that question you mentioned earlier. I'm vice chairman of No Labels now as of two months ago, my mission there is to be the voice of the underserved and the voice of the voice. Let's try to get public, get fifty eight, to be very practical, get fifty eight US Senators to agree on a bipartisan basis to pass the civil rights bill of this generation. Financial literacy. Then that I'll get us into schools. And I've got a plan for the banking and financial services system. I mentioned that hope inside. I've got a plan for workplace, which I've just discussed, but hoping with financial literacy for all, it's really about building this culture amongst Fortune five hundred companies, which is where you spend most of your time working, well living if you're you know you spend most of your time at work if you're employee, and changing the culture and the places that change America.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about promise homes. Where did this idea come from, and what's the company's purpose? And to reiterate, this is a for profit company. This is not a philanthropy.
Speaker 1: It's a for profit company. And coincidence is God's way. Amiting anonymous, I guess I wanted to build wealth for myself so that I did not have to continue to go begging to philanthropists to help Operation Hope with its growth. I want to be able to reach into my own pocketbook and to write my own check, which meant I needed assets. I needed a business that didn't conflict with Operation Hope. So there's a lot of things I couldn't do. It couldn't do banking, can do rock Ridge, couldn't do a lot of things. Single family residential rentals was a business I thought I could be in that had no conflict with my philanthropy. It also, oddly enough, Barry was a business that Frederick Douglass was in.
Speaker 2: Oh really, uh huh.
Speaker 1: He owned six million dollars worth of real estate rental real estate in Baltimore, Maryland that he rented it out to work in class blacks. That gave him the financial freedom to be a civil rights leader and an abolitionist. He woul don't know that story, but he was a capitalist. And actually Frederick Douglass ran the Freedman's Bank for Abraham Lincoln in eighteen sixty five that was charted to teach free slaves about money. So he was both a financial literacy champion, pioneer pioneer, and he was an asset owner and in many ways I am literally replicating his business model, but it wasn't intentional. This is just sort of tripped on to this same narrative.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about this business model a little bit, because private equity has moved into the space or lots of criticism that big money is pushing out smaller potential home buyers. Tell us a little bit about how promise homes operate. Where are you operating and how large do you want to get this?
Speaker 1: So I think that this can be a game changer. And there I mean, some of this criticism is legitimate that a lot of folks who are own these homes are sitting in office buildings pushing basically a financial formula. They're not connecting this to the emotions of somebody's most prized asset, which is where they live. They're not connecting this to the human experience. And they probably shouldn't be in the business of owning homes and low wealth neighborhoods unless they are fully committed beyond a balance sheet investment. You'll get your return, but but really should you be should this be the business that you're in If you don't really care, we care, and maybe go back a little bit story because the rig Orgon story is a little interesting. I went to Tony Wrestler of Arias Management and micael Oaghetti had this idea. I had this idea. So Michael said he's going to put up a few million bucks to partner with me. I went to go see Tony about supporting Operation Hope and I get asked him for fifty thousand dollars. He said, yah, yah, yeah, yeah, what's in your other pocket? Excuse me? He said, look, you got fifty thousand dollars out of me philanthropically, but you're a smart guy. What do you make in the other pocket? Because you just took money out of my out of my left pocket out here. So I said, I got this business idea. He said, I'm in just like that. Yeah, I'm in.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I shared my vision and three minutes into it, he said, that makes sense to me, I'm in. I said, well, you can't be in. I've already got a partner. Well, who's your partner? Telling him who it was, Well, he worked with me, tell him I'm in. About a week later, I'm in New York and we're having a conference call. He said, I thought about this, Why do three men. When you can do thirty million, it's a great idea. Why do thirty mini when you can do one hundred and thirty men, Let's do one hundred and thirty million. And we built this company over five years, from zero to one hundred and twenty million. And I paid all the bankers off, all the Ferty Max City National Bank, these other bank first for a public bank, I paid Tony and michaeloff plus their coupon. I was so proud to be a black man in America who came from nothing. And I paid all of my debts off dollar for dollar under agreement, and I owned the company and I as teaching and we did this honorably because I was doing financial literacy for the residents. Free financial literacy. If you major payments on time, re rewarded you. If you had a credit score of six hundred or five eighty, you had to go into financial counseling and coaching with my organization, Operation Hope. If you raise your credit score to seven hundred, I would reduce your rent by ten percent. And as long as you kept the credit score above seven hundred, we made sure that the vendors that did the work on maintenance plumbing, heating, lighting, landscaping, roofing, etc. That they that we gave a shot to minority in women owned businesses. So fifty five percent of all of my merchants, my vendors were minority in women. If I was not a black guy owning this company, I don't think anybody else would have done that. I was sensitive to it because of course I am it. And then we gave a path to home ownership from rent to own for people who said I loved this experience and been paying rent on time? Can you help me become a homeowner. That caught the attention of the media, and so media starts saying, well, is this a model of going from rent to own? And can you actually treat people like residents and not just renters? And can this business be also a catalyst for social justice through living wage jobs and contracts? The answer to those questions were all yes. That also, those three things allowed me to access different kinds of capital pools than Wall Street were accessing that were cheaper. So, without getting in a bunch of detail, I found another capital stack that was multiples less expensive than the hot money on Wall Street. And there's two ways to make money. You make more, you spend less. I was spending less. That allowed me to sell my business at a prime rate. And then I then became an advisor to KKR and their Global real Estate group because of the philosophy that I had a Promise Homes company. And now I've sold that company into a partnership. I'm growing that company now with the new partners Seawan Horowitz and Clayton Wyatt, We're going to now scale this company from seven hundred homes to ten thousand. And I want to own all of these affordable housing homes that are in the institutional portfolios. I want them to sell those homes to me. Let me treat them as a priority, as these are the communities that I love, and I think you can do well and do good too. In fact, I know you can. So here we have a philanthropic model with Operation and Hope financial coaching, and you have a wealth creation and a job creation and home ownership model, affordable choice model with Promise Homes Company. And at some point I'll get into access to capital. That's another conversation for another day. But this is my mechanism to uplift the bottom of the economic pyramid.
Speaker 2: And it's a for profit company. What cities do you want to expand into.
Speaker 1: It's national. I'll go every place, but those places that are literally unaffordable for rents, I'm not You know, you can't do it in Manhattan, but you can do it in the the boroughs. You can't do it in La Proper, but you can do it in some of the cities around that. Beyond that is, almost every place in America does have slots for affordable housing. What I want to do, I mean is only half. It's about five hundred thousand homes that are owned institutionally out of seventeen thousand rental homes. So the concept that institutions are wall streets owning main street is in and of itself a fallacy. But is it true that most of the sales in the last few years have been from institutions. That is true in these underserved neighborhoods. So what I want to do is buy the homes that have less than two thousand dollars a month rent from these institutions. I want to own them, and I want to buy or build homes in other neighborhoods that have, you know, sub two thousand dollars rents.
Speaker 2: So let's address both of those. First, are these big companies willing sellers? Do they want to sell? I don't know where that falls in their range, buttons up two thousand is in the top of their range.
Speaker 1: You want to get rid well, frankly, that's how operation hopes. Sorry, that's how the Promise Homes company got started.
Speaker 2: The first one thousand or the bottom of the rain.
Speaker 1: And institutions that did not really think this was a sweet spot for their portfolio. This was so you had the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine economic crisis. They had investors come into their funds to buy assets in a downtown downturn. Five or seven years later, the investor wants out. It's not that they don't like the asset, but they're like, we've hit our return, we hit our bogie, We're done. I was at the door in twenty sixteen, knocking on the door, saying good timing, and I bought some of these assets at a decent rate when they were trying to exit. And even if they didn't want to exit their whole portfolio, the one part that they were willing to get rid of was this bottom section. I think we're at that point again, I think with where the economy is right now, the next two years, there'll be a pruning, a refinement, a tightening of institutions, business plans focusing on their sweet spot. The sweet spot, to be blunt and Berry, is somebody like you and me who has multiples of income over their expenses. They're looking for that renter. They don't want a renter who has three times rent, which is a low income, low wealth renterer. They don't want somebody who's a doctor, doctor, a Walmart manager, or the you know, McDonald's manager, or the police officer. But I do I want them. I want I love these communities. I love these residents as my you know, occupants. I love these neighborhoods that are untapped, underserved, and unseen. And I think my passion for these neighborhoods matches with the strategic interests of institutions who hit their bogie. They've hit their number, and the homes are not deferred, they've been rehabbed, but it's headline risk maybe for somebody to own it other than me. Let me own it, do well and do good.
Speaker 2: What about building homes you mentioned you want to start doing construction. Is there enough land around. There's lots of regulatory restrictions, there's lots of where people don't want lower income housing in their neighborhood. How do you operate around that?
Speaker 1: You go into existing inner city neighborhoods and you find bum properties. You find property with a tree in the roof, or whether it's the what's the worst house or houses on the best blocks. They're you know, crime infested or they're magnet for problems. Partner with the city and say, hey, city council person, Hey, you.
Speaker 2: Know, we want to take this off your hands.
Speaker 1: We want to help you. Can you help us? Oh my god? Sure? And you buy it right, you rehabit with minority vendors, which is what we're doing, and you then either put it back into inventory as affordable rent or you sell it to somebody in the neighborhood. We have all those relationships, we have the credibility. We've got the street cred and the institutional cred to get that done. And we're trusted. We're the honest broker in these neighborhoods because they know me. They've seen me there for thirty plus years. So I'm not selling wolf tickets as they say, And.
Speaker 2: When you say national, is this a city by city approach or do you roll it out all at once?
Speaker 1: No, I think it's both you. You when you when you if you're buying portfolios, you may find that you bought portfolio homes in six cities. So now as long as you have enough cities to have property management, that's really the key. You want to have centralized property management uh in a city so you can so you can keep the promises to the residents. I've learned a lot in this business. Like one thing I've learned is that no one washes rental cars, right, like if you don't own it. If you're the property management company, you don't own it. So you're not going to have the same care for these residents as as I would as the owner of the prop of the property. It's myself. And so you may let that resident call you six or eight or ten times and not go out to them you made it. You may overcharge on maintenance because you can, so they're the property management company. Is really a key part of delivering and keeping the promise to these communities. And if you get lucky, you get a great property manager. If not, you need to do it yourself, so I will roll out in areas. When I've got that, I can keep the promise to my communities, in my residents, and we have a formula for that.
Speaker 2: So the pandemic seems to have upended housing. People realize they don't want to live very far away from where they work. They don't want to long commute housing closer to employment centers tend to be much pricier. What's the impact of the pandemic been on promise homes and how you operating in what appears to be a somewhat new environment.
Speaker 1: So you just I'm smiling because you just hit on a genius part of America's untapped business plan, and it comes from discrimination. Where's the inner city in France? Paris? Where is an inner city in the UK? London? You can you do all day? Where's an inner city in Los Angeles South Central? Fifteen minutes from the port, fifteen minutes from the beach to fifteen minutes from downtown, ten minutes from jobs. But who lives there? We put inner city poor stroming people because because in the fifties and sixties and forties, people want to get away from these folks. They built suburbs when traffic was not onerous and moved away. Now traffic is paying the Kazanga beans, and young people are not afraid of minorities. So young people are moving into inner cities at low rates, rehabbing these properties, building businesses, and creating new neighborhoods and communities. And what I want to make sure that happens is, if there's going to be gentrifications, let it be diverse and inclusive gentrification the folks who actually live in these neighborhoods, and not just those who can afford to be in these neighborhoods. So basically, you have every inner city in America, with exception of Manhattan, is a gold mine waiting to be tapped. Every these are all these neighborhoods, Inner City Detroit. I mean, you pick one. It's right near jobs and or at least economic opportunity and energy waiting to be explored. I see opportunity everywhere. It's the guy who went to Africa selling shoes. He wired back three weeks later, Boss, please send me home. No one here wears shoes. Then they bring Barry and John out there and we get lost in the bush, and no one hears from us. Because we're exploring the culture and all that stuff. And then three weeks later, there you go, barry everybody in every shoe. You've got No one here wears shoes.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Let's talk about a few of your older books before we get to your most recent one, the memo five Rules for your Economic Liberation? What are the five rules? And I have a feeling I have an idea what those five pillars are because you've talked about those. But but what are the five rules for economic liberation?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, let's talk a little bit about why the book was even necessary. Who didn't get the memo? I mean, what is a memo? I mean when you think about being in Bloomberg, you know, are we open on on on Christmas? Or are we open on you know, Thanksgiving? That's a memo that goes around. Everybody's on the same page. What happens if no one sends that memo? Do you either show up for work or don't know? You know, there's no there's no direction of what the leadership wants to do or not to do, and so you're sort of on your own. So everybody needs a memo, and everybody needs a business plan. For their life. And what we found is that after slavery, we were told after Americans we were free, but nobody gave us a memo on the rules of freedom in a free enterprise democracy and free enterprise system. And so it's what you don't know that you don't know that's killing you and a blind tout on one eyed man's king. And when you don't know better, you can't do better. So we just found that you had to literally go back to the drawing board and deliver the business plan for a free enterprise success story to successive generations of people who were not giving direction or guidance. And my goal at Operation Hope was to do that through coaching, but also my goal in the books was to provide literal training grounds, if you want to call it that, so that there was no guess work anymore around success. And each of the books are a bit of touch tones and maybe obvious, but common sense is not so common.
Speaker 2: So let's go over. Let's start with the five rules. What are the five rules that we want to get out?
Speaker 1: Rule number one, you live in a free enterprise system embraces So people say, oh, I hate rich people, No, you don't, you hate rich people til you become rich. All we're socialists. No, no, no, no. As my friend, late the late Shimon Praira has said to me, He said, John, even if folks want to distribute money like a socialist, they have the first collect money like a capitalist. So we're all living in a capitalist system. If you're going to work and using your talents to get a paycheck, you're using your human capital. So let's stop playing a game. Let's understand that our freedoms aren't free, and we live in a free enterprise democracy. So that's Number one, is you live in a free enterprise system. Embraceist. Let's not playing the stupid game that somehow we don't. Number two, and are these kids who are railing against capitalism at fre enterprises, rich kids who are only able to do that on a college campus because their parents are capitalists and could send them the best colleges in the World's absolutely fascinating to me. Number two. So it's not just poor people or under a misnomer, it's rich kids too. Number two. Your mind set makes you lose money or build wealth, you choose. Number Three, Relationships are investments, build relationship capital with yourself first. That's that self esteem. Piece Number four, be entrepreneurial. Don't just get a job, maybe create one so you can write that check, not just cash. And number four spiritual capital is a start of true wealth on your power. So I would say that we're not living, we're not human beings having a spiritual experience. Where spiritual beings having a human experience, energy matters, and the most important thing in life probably is becoming reasonably comfortable in your own When I met you, instantly I could tell that Barry was cool with Barry. Well, if you're cool with you, then you'll be cool with me.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense. Let's talk about another of your books. I love the title of this and I'm really curious as to how this can be done. How the poor can save capitalism?
Speaker 1: It always has, he always.
Speaker 2: Has, of course, well us more. And I say this, by the way, as someone who grew up pretty hearts gravel, you know, always had a job since I was, you know, ten twelve years old, put myself through school, never thought about capitalism till much later in life, till I was out of college. How can the poor save capitalism?
Speaker 1: Like I said, it always has?
Speaker 2: How has it in the past? Give us some examples.
Speaker 1: All of the creators of wealth in this country, legitimate wealth came from poverty. In the twentieth century. You think about all these vaders who created companies I mentioned earlier. Is there's a good example, because it's visual. Here in Manhattan, you have a tower that says Goldman Sacks. Well, one hundred plus years ago, there was a guy who was an immigrant named Goldman and another guy who was the imigant name of Sacks, and they literally were walking door to door selling financial services out of a briefcase because they couldn't get a job in the office towers of that day because of discrimination. So they had to go create their own job because no one would hire them for an existing job. And that created an institution today that people think is hotty, toddy and hard to access, called Goldman Sacks. But whether it's ups and I think his name was Kelly, I think it's his name who founded the ups On with the bicycle messenger service, or whether it's Coca Cola, which was a pharmacist and his son who created that business and they were dead broke sold it for five hundred bucks. By the way, so the pharmers the pharmacy formula. You can go on and on and on. You know, black enterprise was created by a heart scrabble black entrepreneur Ebony magazine. The guy bro a few books from his mother. So he's black entrepreneurs, Latino entrepreneurs, white entrepreneurs. It doesn't matter. All legitimate wealth came from nothing, who built something into something. And these are big companies where once small ones. And uh, that's just a historical fact.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about looking forward. Are you suggesting that we need the poor to continue this process of entrepreneurship and building businesses and creating something from practically nothing.
Speaker 1: Is that I'll go once, I'll go one step further. My rich friends need my poor friends in order to stay rich. My rich friends eat my poor friends to do better.
Speaker 2: Explain this.
Speaker 1: Seventy percent of the US economy is consumer spending. That's the guy who's cleaning this office building, paying rent, paying a car note, buying some food on the corner, paying for a parking ticket, going to a restaurant every now and then with his wife. If without this activity, the economy comes to a grinding stop. Think about the pandemic. Think about what happened in March of twenty twenty, everything everything froze because the average human being was not out engaging in the economy. So rich people cannot on their own sustain the Lard's economy on the planet. We literally need each other. So whether you're a consumer or whether you're a stakeholder and a builder, you have a role to play. And I'll say something else is maybe shocking to me, it's common sense. Demographics are destiny. The reason I believe in this business plan today that it's about mission and money and morals. Today there's not enough college educated white men to grow the economy for the next thirty or forty years. It's just mathematically impossible. So you need minorities, you need women. We need other people to grow into the economy in a sustainable way in order to keep this thing, this party, in this beautiful story of America going, and so that China does not. It is way of illegitimately becoming the leader of the world by cheating at capitalism and free enterprise with their partner Russia, which is by the way, rounding air economically and a bunch of thugs who can't do anything illegitimately. But China and Russia together want our way of life. They want to be us, and they can't do it with a fair fight. We if we realize we're better together, probably my next book by the way, this topic. If we realize we're better together and that two plus two has to equal more than four, mean, that's every good marriage. Is that two plus two equals six, eight or ten. You're better together, then you can realize that you can't succeed if there's a hole in my end of our boat. We're in the same boat. So we need the bottom of the pyramid to be here, rehabilitated and engaged in the economy to grow GDP by an extra two to three percent sustainably. And black folks are a one point five trillion dollars consumer spending for us, Barry, that's one of the largest economies in the world. But we don't own anything we spend. We've got to move from just being a consumer to a wealth creator.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about your most recent book, Up from Nothing, The Untold Story of How We All Succeed. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: It's my failures, it's it's I mean, it's everything, it's all my trips, my failings, my fallings, my people who laughed at me, people who roll their eyes at me, folks who dismiss me. First, the world will ignore you, then they'll criticize you, then they'll try to copy you. Then you win. That was my message, And I'm just trying to get a whole generation of leaders to understand that just because somebody the lack of preparation in somebody else's life is not constant an emergency in yours. And just because you don't respect me doesn't mean I don't respect myself. And your interpretation of my value is not my reality of my value. And when we start understanding that we are unique in this world, and we are and we are powerful in that uniqueness, and that egles don't fly in packs. Berry, You've never seen a flock of eagles, but buzzers love packs, and turkey's got wings and can't fly. And if you're not careful, you'll get so offended by what turkey, what buzzards say about you, or you'll be so distracted by what turkeys are laughing at you and saying about you and your family, that you will get distracted. Come out, get out of your ego, your ego, altitude, and you'll go down to try to show that uh, that that bird a lesson, and the pig will find you out in the pig pen and throw some mud on your wing and get that ego down into the mud pit. And now the turkey and the buzzard and the pig look at you and say, now we got you right where we've always wanted you, down here with us. You got to step over messing, not in it. You got to stay above the fray. You got to understand that that that the philosophy for success is talk without being offensive, listen without being defensive, and always leave even your adversary with their dignity, because if you don't, they'll spend the rest of their life trying to make you miserable. It becomes personal. It is not their interpretation of you that matters. It is your interpretation of you that matters. Not one ounce of my self esteem is dependent upon your acceptance of me. It just not so. So why am I spending all my time trying to impress somebody who I do not know, with money I do not have in the places they do not want me, with philosophies and things that there that don't work. They're broke, they're they're unhappy, they're miserable, and I want to be like them. What I want to impress them? Why are we spending our time trying to impress somebody we actually even don't want to be like like all these lessons of wasting time. I don't mind wasting money every now and then. I don't want you to abuse and waste my time. I'm trying in this book to short circuit time wasting and energy wasting and depression inducing activity and give you legitimate hope that you can come up from nothing in the greatest economy and I think the greatest creation of democracy, open source democracy, in the world, which is America. We're not perfect, but she's a country. She's an idea, not a country. We can make her anything we want, and we can be part of that remaking process up from nothing. I could never be me in Germany or France or China or Japan. Culturally, I just would not have gone from the bottom to the top.
Speaker 2: So I love the message, but let me push back a little bits to say, you know, back when my parents were entering the workforce, there was a decent amount of social mobility in the United States, forget race or religion, just lowest economic strata to the upper economic strata. The economic mobility, at least by the most recent measures, as well as a geographic mobility, both have hasn't gone away, but it's not nearly as broad as it once was. What's your response to people who say the American dream isn't as robust as.
Speaker 1: It once was because small business starts stalled in two thousand and four and they didn't actually pick up again until after the pandemic. That's I mean, that's almost twenty years. And by the way, what's the largest group starting businesses post pandemic?
Speaker 2: Millennials?
Speaker 1: Blacks? Oh really, what's the largest supergroup amongst all other groups? Black women? Interesting, So now you have the group that was thought to be left back, left behind, ignored, who couldn't get the job, couldn't get the promotion, ignored in their corporate suite. Now they're not going to the corporate suite. For two years, they were at home. They got some stimulus money, which they call venture capital, and now they're saying, wait a minute, do I need to go back to that job? You know? Do I need to go back and be a again and have people coughing on me, and I don't have health care, and I'm not getting good tips and the owner doesn't really care about me. Do I really need to go to that dead edd job? Do I need to go to that boss that doesn't care. Maybe I'll create my be my own boss. Maybe I'll create my own way. And so now you have this surge, this super surge of the of the thing that made America different from Europe in the first place, Barry, which was business creation. I mean, the reason we have celebrity in America is because it was our answer to bling. In Europe had royalty, that was their bling. You didn't have royalty, and we didn't want it. But celebrity was our desire to has something that sparkled the real marrow of this country was the first corporation, sorry, the first the first entity creating this country was a corporation. It was a trading corporation that then created democracy, not the other way around. Municipalities came out of trading corporations. So we are in our bones traders, financiers, business people, ar newers, hustlers. That is in our DNA and every I think twenty thirty to fifty certainly every one hundred years you need a generation of strivers who own something, own, create something, and by the way, create jobs. So have we become over dependent upon less than a thousand companies that employ ten thousand people or more fortune five hundred. Yes, you have all these folks going through college wanting to go work at at Google or whatever the thing is. Who's not hiring or will fire you at the moment that there is an economic glitch where most of the businesses, sir, most of the jobs this country come from employers with less than one hundred employees. Most businesses in LA ninety five percent of all businesses have less than one hundred employees. Let's drive down Manhattan and look at these skyscrapers. That's the dentist's office for people. That's an architect, eight people. That's a law firm, twenty people. That's a you know, an analyst firm. These are small businesses. I called a chiropractor yesterday. He's got him and the secretary. I mean, this is what's driving the economy is. So you're either gonna become the business person or are you going to work for that small business owner who probably is going to pay you more. You have more social mobility in that place than you will in some huge corporation. I'm not saying I think, don't go work for the big company. I'm saying that that's not way to made America.
Speaker 2: So let's jump to our speed rounds. These are the questions we ask all our guests and plow through very quickly, starting with tell us what you've been streaming these days? What's been keeping you entertained?
Speaker 1: Succession used to be billions eighteen twenty eight things? The name of the show Yellowstone the latest? I mean, I keep watching the Matrix movies, which most people don't listening to your show probably won't know. It's a bit of a cult film, but I think everybody needs to watch it. Man, which supposedly is a martial arts movie, but really it's a movie about really moral decision making and ethnical This guy, martial arts genius who who trained Bruce Leeb, never wanted to fight. You had to force him to fight. Now, he'd whip your rear in if you if you if you force them, but he never wanted to fight. When you have the power, you don't need to use it. I spend a lot of time late at night on a sort of a mental vacation, I will turn on something online and have my brain completely fantasized. There's an F one. There's a series on Netflix that that that drives there you go it unpacks F one Racing, That is Genie. My sport is auto racing. Actually I have a professional and I'm sorry, a competitive auto racing license. So that is my one of my passions. A very great movie by Paul Newman that Paul Newman did, uh call driving It actually that he was a great actor, but his passion was auto racing. He's the only sport he was elegant at, he said, So anyway that I can sell. I talked about things I would love to watch all day and all night.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about your mentors. You mentioned a few tell us who helped shape your career.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Uh, you know, in no particular order, Astor Andrew Young, Bishop t d JS, Quincy Jones. This is the moral side of my life. On the on the business side again, you know, in particular order, Michael Arraghetty Tony rest Or, Bill Rogers of Truist. I think you know, Charlie Sharf at Wells Fargo, would call him a mentor, but I tell him an inspired friend Jamie Diamond, that we don't spend a lot of time together, but I love what he's built. Great guy. I've got so many heroes and she ros that have that. I actually had to go sort of like find the roadmap because it didn't exist for me where I grew up. So I had these saragate far and mothers, surrogate family that I have literally put around me so I can map out what success looked like. I probably have fifty of these mentors and mentees, sorry, heroes and she wrotes who are mentors that have guided my path forward. A few of the names I just share with my mother wanted to smith amongst them.
Speaker 2: Really interesting list. Let's talk about books. What are some of your favorites? What are you reading currently?
Speaker 1: Mere Christianity is something I read once a year by C. S. Lewis is from the nineteen forties. The book The Power of Now by Eckart Tole is something I try to Some books I read continuously over and over again. The Seven Spiritual Laws is Success by Deepak Chopra is something I read. It's only seventy pages. Is a great primer. It's worth reading over and over again. I'm reading a book about green Span right now on capitalism that I think is really, really very good. I'd encourage everybody to read it. By the way, edn't ask me this, but there's a it's a documentary that could be a great book called Easy Money that just came out. I believe it. Actually it's even a PBS documentary. You can find it on Amazon's platform. But it is fascinating and as much as I think I understand money, it really unpacked what happened in the last twenty years and that I just saw that. Sometimes you got to watch things two or three times. The Men Who Build America an eight part series. Everybody needs to watch that. One problem I have with it is there's no blacks or browns or there's just a bunch of, you know, industrious white people. And that's just a misnomer that only white men built this country. That's a whole another podcast for another time. You know, we can't get it. You can't get an elevator in this building without a black man's invention. Who built the elevator? So we all had a place. But these are sources of inspiration for me.
Speaker 2: Huh, really interesting list. Last two questions, what sort of advice would you give to someone coming out of school who was interested in a career in either finance or investment.
Speaker 1: Ignore the noise. There's been a lot of noise around you. There will be a lot of people around you who are not good role models, who want to party all the time, who want to have fun. There's nothing wrong with having fun. But only in the dictionary does the word success come before the word work, because it's alphabetical. Egos don't fly in packs. And mentioned that earlier, So you know, you can't expect everybody to get you or understand your path. So, particularly if you're a person of color, in listening to this podcast, you're going to need to hyper focus because your white friend with a trust fund can make all kind of mistakes and still land on their feet. You know, you may have to burn the ships behind you and hit that beach and like a laser beam and never give up. I am consciously oblivious of all things around me that don't matter. I am very focused on what I think is super relevant. If you're hyper focused, you're resilient, and you never give up. You actually don't have to be the smartest guy in the room. You just outrun failure, and at some point you will succeed because failure is lazy, and the devil's lazy, and frosters are lazy, and if you're just not lazy, you'll succeed. Be curious, God gave you two ears in one mouth, or listen twice as much as you talk. Be fascinated, Be super nosy, Be respectful, be kind. You never know the toe you step on maybe conect to the rear, and you got kiss tomorrow. Just be gracious if you want to have a little grace, show a little mercy.
Speaker 2: I like that line and our final question, what do you know about the world of capitalism, entrepreneurship, and just generally the economy today that you wish you knew thirty or so years ago when you were really ramping up.
Speaker 1: Everything's about money everything you know, marriage was originally about unions, uh you know, different royal houses or whatever. Uh being part of the world you're talking about. They were trying to protect their economic interests. That's why they got married. They didn't even sleep in the same beds or the same houses. Back in those days. It was you know, families trying to protect each other's interest. Love is important, but alignment is also important. Money is in I mean church, church needs needs donation. Catholic Church is one of the largest owners of land, by the way and financial services in the world. This is not a criticism, is a critique. I'm just saying my observation is that whatever you want requires money and or an understanding of same in order to live a life is free. Freedom today is self determination. You cannot have self determination unless you unless you have some level of economic If all money is his freedom, That's what I'm saying. That's all all. So you shouldn't pursue money to control other people's freedom slavery, but you should understand that if you have money, then no one can control yours.
Speaker 2: Huh. That's really quite intriguing. We have been speaking with John Hope Bryant, founder of Operation Hope, and a slew of other companies. If you enjoy this conversation, be sure and check out all of our previous podcasts. You can find those at YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you find your favorite podcasts. Sign up for our daily reading list at rituelts dot com. Follow me on Twitter at Ritholtz follow all of the Bloomberg Family of podcasts at Podcasts, I would be remiss if I did not thank the correct team that helps with these conversations together each week. Pariswold is my producer. A Teak of Albrun is my project manager. Sean Russo is my researcher. My audio engineer is Sebastian Escobar. I'm Barry Ritt. Adults, you've been listening to Masters in Business on Bloomberg Radio.