Speaker 1: Grayson Rodriguez is here from the Oils back on FT Grace and great to see you, man. Always love the smile. I know you're going through it a little bit right now. Always really appreciate you coming on during these times too. So first off, of course, want to start with how you're doing and what's next for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm doing all right. You know I could be better. You know, I wish I was out there and he's time around the IL is bad deal. But yeah, so it looks like I'm gonna have some some bone chips removed next week. That's kind of the plan right now. But like I said, just grinding trying to get back out there. I think, is really that all you can do?
Speaker 3: Hey, Grace, you know you you one of my favorite arms, and I'm still going to continue to put it out there. You will get that cy young to get back healthy.
Speaker 4: I believe it.
Speaker 3: But here we are, right and I just want to know a guy that's been through injuries myself, you know how hard is it one watching your team knowing they could use your arm every five days? And then two, like, what's your mentality process on going through this? Are you relieve that it isn't worse than you know, than.
Speaker 4: It could have been.
Speaker 3: There, Like, where are you mentally on this right now? As far as the steps and process moving forward.
Speaker 2: First off, I appreciate the confidence that means a lot coming from you, So thank you.
Speaker 5: For saying that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, dude, right now obviously, like you know, like you said, it could be a lot worse. I mean, that's that's kind of how I've been looking at it. You know, it could be TJ, it could be you know, some kind of shoulder surgery. You know, it's you know, each little setback has been minor, but you know it's something that you can't push through because then it'll turn into something major. So I think for me, the most frustrating part right now is kind of figuring out, you know, why we keep having these little setbacks and you know, really trying to you know, look into the specifics of things. And right now, I mean, I think, you know, these kind of these bone chips are kind of you know, creating all that.
Speaker 5: You know, it's something that I've kind of dealt.
Speaker 2: With for the last three or four seasons and now just kind of gotten to the point where you know, it's really kind of you can't really push through it, you know, like you're saying, you don't want, you know, to play through an injury, and then it starts to turn into something else and something you know severe. So obviously it's frustrating right now. Man, just trying to trying to get through it, you know, leaning on my family, my teammates, everybody's been pretty supportive.
Speaker 5: You know. Like I said, it's really hard not being able to be out there and and to pitch.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, we got to get this thing fixed and you know, do everything we can to get back out there and get back to being healthy.
Speaker 6: I gotta just flip the switch. That background, Is that a background or is that real in the back of your house there. I mean, that's probably the incredible background.
Speaker 4: I always rock.
Speaker 5: I've ever, I've ever.
Speaker 6: That's my first time talking to them, I mean that is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, phrase, this is the first time I think you've you've been on the show.
Speaker 4: When I've been on.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've been on a bunch, but you know you've always duck me, so uh yeah, I like exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I've been I mean very fortunate to have been raised in the outdoors.
Speaker 5: I live in Texas.
Speaker 2: My my uncle is a wildlife biologist and you know, specializes in deer management and everything. So I like to you know, think I do the right things when I hunt outdoors. But yeah, being raised by family that that's hunted and stuff, yeah, I mean I've done it, done it my whole life.
Speaker 5: I like being outside.
Speaker 6: Now, any any of those Jersey bucks or no, you're not allowed up here to you're not allowed in Jersey.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I've hunted Jersey bucks. Now the Jersey bucks have slipped me. Yeah, I mean I'm gonna I'm gonna try it again. You know this. I'm gonna try it again this offseason. But Jersey the Maryland Bucks. Yeah, the Jersey and the Maryland Bucks has given me the slip so far.
Speaker 6: They're they're Italian bucks. They know out a swindle, they know where to go and everything, so watch out.
Speaker 7: No, I'm kidding, they're tough. They're tough.
Speaker 6: Hey, they'll go ahead you're doing and they'll be in a different part. I know Scott wants to talk a little bit more about the injury. I want to talk about some of the trade tips you got going on here are not trade ships guys that have left. You know, you got to know the Ryan o'harons and Cedric mullins of the world. I know you're gonna miss him. Got some new guys coming in. Where do you see the direction of these Orioles going with all the acquisitions and guys that left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean, obviously, you know, it really sucks to lose teammates, you know, like you said, you know Cedric O'Hearn, you know, those are two, you know, unbelievable guys, clubhouse leaders. But I mean when you really kind of you know, you have to look back at you know, you know what's what's who's still on a team, and you know, you kind of you know, you move on. You know, you know, whatever happens yesterday, you know, is not gonna affect.
Speaker 5: Us today or tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You know, being in Baltimore, we have an extremely young, talented corps group of guys. You know, a lot of guys like Gunner, Jordan Westburg, Colton Cowser, I mean, Adley like you know, a lot of us played in the minor leagues coming up together. So you know, you know we're obviously going to stay together. You know, that's kind of the focus. I mean, there's a lot of guys you know, obviously still left in the clubhouse, you know, that can go out and win a World Series next year, you know, years down the road. But yeah, I mean, you know, it's you know, the trade deadline. You know, you're either you know you're getting players or you know, trading them away. And you know, unfortunately for us, this is the first time, you know, we've had to experience something like that.
Speaker 5: But I think, you know, in all, it's gonna make us better ballplayers.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of guys we haven't been in the big leagues for too long, and you know, kind of seeing this and you know, know, you know how bad it sucks. That's just gonna you know, motivate us next year for this not to happen. Ever again, I think it's kind of how you know, we're looking at it a.
Speaker 1: J I'm on my phone right now in arena clubs, and I'm looking at the Emerald slab packs and I see in the grail a Bobby Witt Junior twenty twenty Bowman Chrome.
Speaker 7: Prospect Auto Gold Refractor card.
Speaker 4: Give me that, give me your phone. I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 7: Get you well you gotta buy it to me. I don't have it.
Speaker 1: You know, you have to get a slab pack. No, I don't have that, and give me your slab pack. That card's worth you buy your.
Speaker 4: Slab pack, Scott, so I can get the Bobby Witt Junior Gold Refractor twenty twenty Bowman Chrome Auto.
Speaker 7: Because that sounds awesome and it's worth a lot.
Speaker 4: It's worth a lot. He's a stud, he's not going down. Get a grill. Get a grill. I want a grail, Scott, give me the holy grill. You do it.
Speaker 1: To do that, you must get yourself a slab pack in Arena Club or if you want to get it for a friend, you can do that too. And right now you can get twenty percent off your first slab pack or your first card purchase if you're going on there and you're just like, hey, I want a specific card. I find it there, I want to grab it for my showroom. Arena Club dot com slash foul and use the code fo U l gras and I'll relate this to you for a moment too. So, yeah, the team, you know it's it's not going to be a playoff team this year. So that's what you do at the deadline, You sell so that you can load up for the future. Did any of your decision making, like with the surgery you have to do with where the team is at as well. Would this have happened regardless or like, you know, like sometimes guys will be like, I'm going to try and push through it.
Speaker 7: I think Reese Olsen right now is a shoulder injury.
Speaker 1: With the Tigers, and he's like, I might be able to come back in October.
Speaker 7: No surgery for now. Was any of that on the table?
Speaker 1: And because of the team's not going to be playing in October, you can be like, hey, I need to get right and be ready to jump at spring training next year.
Speaker 2: No, not really, you know, I mean obviously, you know I ended the year on the il last year, you know, tried to get back for the playoffs and that wasn't possible.
Speaker 5: But no, I mean I don't.
Speaker 2: Think really, you know, how the team was playing had an effect on my decision. I think for me personally, it just got to a point where Okay, I can't pitch through this. I tried, you know, since spring training I had an issue with it. It was the second start of my spring training where I had to come out early and it was due to these you know, the bone chips and stuff in my elbow that just you know, it had too much inflammation, uh in the area, and you know kind of you know, rehabbing through the first half of the season. You know, finally, you know, you just kind of get to a point where it's like, Okay, you know, I've dealt with this for three or four years now, and now it's just to the point where.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just you know, it sucks. It just you know, won't go away and.
Speaker 2: Said, no, I have I have to get it taken care of, you know, in order to you know, be who I want to be next season, you know, I think is most important uh to me, and just trying to get everything ironed out so I can come back next year and you know, hopefully you know, make thirty starts and take a team into the postseason.
Speaker 7: Cam you muted.
Speaker 3: So sorry you talk about losing some of those veteran guys, right, and Cedric Mullins has been there for a long time.
Speaker 4: O'Hearn has been around the game.
Speaker 3: I think everybody has an ability to lead in their own way, right, I don't I don't believe truly, you you know, it's just one guy that leads the truths. I think the manager has a big part to do with it, and I think it's the guys around. But as those guys have kind of left the clubhouse, who have.
Speaker 4: You feel like?
Speaker 3: Because it's hard when you're not playing right, who have you felt like is kind of try to step into that role because we know this isn't a season that you guys expect, especially with the expectation that you guys have built the last couple of seasons. Who's kind of stepping into that role and say, hey, guys, you know what, we're gonna finish this your strongest. Hell, we're gonna, you know, give it everything we got and kind of let's focus on the winning and not the individual, you know, element of the game, because that's what happens when you get kind of in this end stretch.
Speaker 4: You start to kind of me, me, me.
Speaker 3: But who's the guy kind of trying to still galvanize and say, hey, let's win at all costs and that'll kind of help.
Speaker 4: Us roll things into next season. Who's kind of taking that leadership role?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's Gunner for sure. It's Gunner Henderson. You know, I can see you know it's spring training this year. You know, when you have the whole you know, you remember how spring training is. You know, there's a lot of dudes in that clubhouse, you know, the first couple of weeks, a lot of faces. You don't know, you're trying to get familiar with a lot of guys, you do know. You know, anytime we had team meetings or you know, anything with the whole camp, you know, Gunner was always you know, taking charge, saying some things, you know, telling us about things we could do better, I mean different things.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 2: He was taking a leadership role early this year, you know, and you can kind of see that last year. But this year I think he really stepped forward. And I think that's somebody who's kind of steering the ship right now and gives a lot of people, or a lot of guys on the team, you know, someone you know, I don't know, just to get some advice, to get some help.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Gunner, I mean, awesome guy, you know, awesome clubhouse guy.
Speaker 5: He plays hard. The the funniest.
Speaker 2: Thing I can say about Gunner is like this dude could be three for three four for four one or two Homer, you know, I mean playing having an unbelievable game. But he's gonna go up to each at bat and he's gonna grind like it's its own thing. You know, some guys you might be able to see, you know, a guy gets a hit and he's like, Okay, I'm good for the day. I got a knock Gunner. I mean, it doesn't matter, you know, what a bat, what point of the game. You know, he's gonna give it his all. And I think guys see that the way he hustles, you know, on and off the field. I think I think guys are really going to look to him, and you know, he's been able to step up and kind of getting that leadership role.
Speaker 4: Last one for me. As I look behind you, I see you got the whole crew, Donner, Bliss and comic Cupid. You got where's Rudolph?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 3: Rudolph has alluded to that's the last one we need on the wall.
Speaker 5: He's up there somewhere.
Speaker 4: That's the jersey book we're talking about. Phrase Rudolph.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, we've put a red we put a red nose on him, uh years ago.
Speaker 5: So people kind of like that.
Speaker 4: But all right, that's dope, that's cool. That's it.
Speaker 8: I love it, Hey, Grayson, Yeah, yeah, sorry, I was gonna say, I don't know if you'll ever had venison, but it is the best meat you can buy.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's better than anything in the grocery store. You know, all these deer that we harvest are eating and donated to food banks and stuff. So, uh, it's the meat is spectacular. Just so if y'all ever get the chance to eat it, try it.
Speaker 3: I just had my fourth kid, so you can donate to the Maving Food Bank.
Speaker 4: I'm gonn see my dress. You can send me some Uh yeah, we do. You love it? We love it the Carolinas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, We've got coaches and I've had teammates where, you know, last off season they send me their dress and I'll ship it to them. So send me your dress and I'll send you some stuff.
Speaker 4: Say less, brother, say less.
Speaker 7: Love that. Hey, So what's the timetable?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 7: What do you got?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 7: Like, do you know when you're having it? And then did they tell you what this are between? You know now in March?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the surgery is going to be sometime next week you know, and like I said, you know, thankfully it's not severe. It's a pretty quick surgery.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I should be playing catch here in about three or four weeks after so in about a month and a half to two months, I mean I should be you know, back to throwing bullpens, getting off the mound, you know, doing everything. I'll be able to go into the off season healthy and kind of have a normal build up going into spring training to really attack twenty twenty six.
Speaker 7: Nice. Okay, So somewhat normal off season is the plan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, okay, sure, Yeah.
Speaker 7: That's great. I love that. Well, good stuff, Grayson. Good to have you on man.
Speaker 1: Good luck right, speedy recovery with it next week and then we'll catch you. We'll check in with you, and once you get through all that.
Speaker 5: I appreciate y'all very much. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you too. Good to see a man appropreciate you.
Speaker 1: Okay, mhm