Speaker 1: Look out. It's only films to be buried with. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, a director, a marker, and I love films. As Albert Camu once said, seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable. You may wish to believe that Greece too is rubbish, but it's really a magical work of absolute magic, and you're a full to sleep on it. Wow, hardcore words from Albert Camu. There don't disagree. Every week I'm by a special guest over I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. Previous guests include Mark Frost, Barry Jenkins, Sharon Stone and even But this week it's the wonderful comedian Fortune Thimster. Head over to the Patrin at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you'll get an extra twenty minutes of stuff with Fortune. She tells a secret. We talk about the best beginnings and endings. You also get the whole episode, uncut, an ad free and as a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, so Fortune Themester is a fucking brilliant stand up. We became friends in La when we did some gigs together. She's so funny, she's so brilliant. She does a podcast called Handsome with Tignataro and Mae Martin. She is in Fuba with Arnold Schwarzenegger. She's on tour at the minute. She's an absolute delay. We recorded this on Zoom a few weeks ago, and I really think you're gonna love it. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and seventy eight of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is me Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by an actor, a podcast a right, a producer, a creator, a superstar, a legend, one of the finest stand ups to have ever stood up and walked about the stage occasionally whilst holding a mic, a lover, a pacifist, a best friend, Ivanna Schwarzenegger, and Mavis Antigu and myself included. She's here, She's there, and she's also here. Please welcome to the shower. I can't believe we've got it's Fortune. Fis there?
Speaker 2: What's up? Britt? I mean, I was most excited for this intro and you did not fail me.
Speaker 3: That was pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. I appreciate it. You're easy to do a long, long intro for how's it going Fortune?
Speaker 2: It's going good. I am in between cities. I was just on the road for two weeks and I'm about to go back.
Speaker 1: Is your current tour new show? Brand new? Half ready already? Where are you at with it?
Speaker 3: I'm about halfway through this tour.
Speaker 2: It's it's new as far as it's not from my last special. I'll be filming this one in like four months, five months.
Speaker 1: I'm also into a Fortune tell me a secret? How do you keep it fresh? How do you keep it fresh?
Speaker 3: Bruh?
Speaker 2: You know that is the that's the tricky part, because it's a lot of repetition. I kind of challenge myself with every show to be like, Okay, what new punchline can I add? I'm also throwing in some crowd work in between some of the jokes to keep myself on my toes and to make it more fun for me. So that helps with the material not feeling so repetitive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, all right, I do that.
Speaker 2: Did that help? Because you're on the road, You're killing it out there. Everybody's like, I gotta see Brett. He's so funny, sexy, and I want them to yell at me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: You have this Uh, you're you're in many things, but your your character that people know you from recently is so such a curmudgeon and you're so delightful.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. Fortune really me being delightful is the acting the rest of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was so happy when I met you. I don't remember. It might have been at the Largo we met.
Speaker 1: I believe it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you were someone I really love and you're even better in person.
Speaker 1: I feel the same about you. I feel you're wonderful. Now tell me can you talk? Are you sick of talking about your show? Friendship? Love? Affair with your boyfriend Dona Schwartzenegger is.
Speaker 3: No, I'm happy to talk about it.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite things is just only pasting about you is one of my favorite things.
Speaker 3: Isn't that wild?
Speaker 2: I mean I never thought in a millionaires that would be the case. Like he and I come from very different backgrounds, were very different people. Yeah, he does, and he's great. I mean, we we really hit it off. We were in this show called Fu Bar Together on Netflix. It's this big action comedy series, and I certainly didn't expect to ever get cast in an action series. That was way down on my list of things I thought someone would think of me for. But it's actually one of the coolest things I've done. It was this huge, big budget, lots of explosion.
Speaker 1: Did stunts, stunts yourself.
Speaker 2: I ran towards the bar and then they yelled cut. Someone else jumped over it, but I ran bad.
Speaker 1: I ran.
Speaker 2: I did do some army crawling alongside arm with explosions. Their their form of explosions going off over our head. I did shoot the weapons myself, but as far as if anything required going off the ground, that's where I tapped out.
Speaker 1: Anything above half a fit. Yeah, is it your choice or was there anything they would have let you do? I'm sure you allowed to.
Speaker 3: I didn't get it. I didn't get a choice.
Speaker 2: They were just like, there's a very fit woman with a pillow in her belly and a crazy wig goes I'll take it.
Speaker 1: From me here, did you want to do any.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no one will know. Why am I going to put myself in danger? I'm a comedian who's trying to be an action star. But yeah, I hit it off with Arnold like day one because I didn't realize he was such a comedy fan. Yeah, he was good, very good friends with Milton Burrele And yeah, so you just go to the Friars Club a lot and got tips for his own comedies from Milton, and he just really loves.
Speaker 3: That for you know, that art form.
Speaker 2: So day one he was asking me about stand up and my process and.
Speaker 1: Right has he.
Speaker 2: Hasn't. No, there hasn't been an opportunity since we finished filming.
Speaker 3: I'll have a show in la in March. Maybe he'll come to that.
Speaker 2: Or I'm going to do one in Toronto when we go back to film season two and May. Maybe he'll maybe he'll come. We'll see, Hey, Arnie, what you doing. But he is one of the busiest guys I've ever known. I mean, he still lives his life kind of like the governor. He's always going to events and always volunteering, and he still works out every day.
Speaker 1: And did you work out with him. I did, Yeah, how was that? Look at these I can see suck it out, get it out.
Speaker 2: I went to the famous gold Gym in Venice Beach with him, where he's like a legend, and you should see the men. I mean he goes all the time, so they're used to it. But there are occasional few nubies there and it's like every man, it just stops and like gas like Arnold, and it's pretty funny to see the effect he has on men. But you know, he does the heavy reps. And then I went after him and he would take the pen. I mean not that I can do anything what he does. I mean, come on, but he would go to like a fifteen I was like, okay, give me, I can get more than a fifteen pounds twenty six Yeah, hold on, Arnold. But you know he's like, it's all in the form. Come on, get it, Donald, you got it, let's go. But I will say this about him because obviously he's very into fitness, he's very health conscious. He's never once made me feel you'll like, because I always like, oh I gotta work out, I'm so fat. He has never made me like feel fat or gross.
Speaker 3: He makes me always.
Speaker 2: He's like a person that makes everybody feel very good. He's like a motivational guy. He's never like, yeah, you need to give you to the you go, don't do that, you know.
Speaker 3: He's just like, you're great, you're beautiful. Keep doing what if you want.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Other question for you about touring. I did ask you briefly, how do you maintain a marriage when you're touring all the time? Any secret? It's not that I'm married. Just for the listener who might be married. Marriage when you're touring comic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it really depends on who you're married to.
Speaker 2: That is a big part of the puzzle, because yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting you're saying. So hang on, you're saying people are different.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, okay, that's the hard I am very lucky that I'm married to someone who really understands that this is my love, this is my passion. She knows I'm a workhorse. I love to work. I get a lot of joy out of working. So she's never trying to dim that light. Obviously, there are times when you know she's like, okay, can we can we not have a show on my birthday this year, and I'm like that's fair, or like, can we can we take a vacation that doesn't include you know, a theater somewhere fair enough? So you know, it helps when they communicate their needs and you listen when you know. It took me doing three years of shows on her birthday to be like, oh yeah, don't do a show on your birthday.
Speaker 3: So I'm not like perfect.
Speaker 1: Can you enjoy your holiday a proper holiday with no gigs or just do you go insane?
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 2: I go in my head, I'm like I could have done the show here and that would have been great to check off another market, made a little few bucks, made people laugh. You know, what are we doing here? There's a wasted trip.
Speaker 1: What we're doing on this beautiful Caribbean island. Surely they need comedy here.
Speaker 3: Surely they need to laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard, but you have to just go all right, I need to chill because your brain does need to rest, your your body needs a minute. It is good for you to have a step away from it for a second to be able to not burn out. You take because you're going on the road pretty hard right now, Do you take a minute or you just like full steam ahead.
Speaker 1: I'm a bad at time. Off. I did it. I did a film, and I've done all this. I've been working like insane, insane, insane, NonStop. And then I had one day off and I was like, you know what, I'm gonna take the day off and I'm going to rest. I'm gonna do this. Had a nervous breakdown. Yeah, I lost my fucking mind. I was like, this is fat, this is fa. I was like staring at the ceiling right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like that too. And now that there's another person in my life that I need to be aware of, I'm like, all right, let's go act like a human being prop for dinner or something like that.
Speaker 1: Fine, we'll use.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: And my wife calls me the hardest working, laziest person she knows because I'm like always working. And then when I like on a Sunday, when I fly back in, I'm just like on the couch like like don't do not disturb. She's like, are you good put your dishes in the sink?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, you know how hard of it work. I can't put dishes away.
Speaker 2: My hands hurt from holding a microphone.
Speaker 1: You know the bit where you have to screw the mics stand together. My hands have blistered.
Speaker 2: Oh I can't wash plates.
Speaker 1: I need my precious hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad you I'm glad. You get it.
Speaker 1: No, I get it. I get it. Fortunately, I've forgotten to tell you something, though, and it's quite bad that I haven't told you this. I feel like a dummy for not having said it earlier. And I guess I guess I should just come out and say it. Sorry, I'll just say it. You've died.
Speaker 3: No, you're dead, so I'm a ghost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what else? How did you die? How did you die?
Speaker 2: Well? It was pretty tragic because it was way before my time. It was not as young as like the legendary rock stars that die at twenty seven. This was more of like her hairs turning gray. She's not old, but she's not young, and there's still some good years ahead of her. She was grilling outside. Oh, she was like forty. We'll say forty.
Speaker 1: That still seems tragically young.
Speaker 2: That's young, right, she was grilling outside a very that's a pretty fun activity. You know you're gonna get a treat, Yeah, even though you're having to make it. It's better on someone else does, but like dagging me, like can you please do something? I go, fine, my hand's hurt, but okay, I'll go grill even though I this his right hand is not great and making making burgers and uh, you know have the little pokey thing that using a grill like for hot dogs and stuff.
Speaker 1: You poke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm poking a hot dog and my hand cramped. Brett and I go out and and it sta, I stabbed myself.
Speaker 1: You stabbed yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as I'm dying, I'm like, I told you I shouldn't be doing things in the house when I'm home from break.
Speaker 3: And my wife feels like, really those are your last words?
Speaker 2: And then I go, oh, you're right. I love you as well. So I did get that out. I did get that out before I done.
Speaker 1: And you're like, I shouldn't have said that as well.
Speaker 2: It was it was like it was like I love you, it would have been. And she's like, as well.
Speaker 1: As well as as you stabbed yourself, was.
Speaker 2: Just like, do you really is this really the moment you need to tell me that I was wrong?
Speaker 1: I told you so yeah, yeah, God that's a complicated death. And then I imagine you've sort of collapsed onto the grill. So it was like.
Speaker 3: I seared my cheek.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was alive for that.
Speaker 1: Quite traumatic for your wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, she didn't love that. It was right on the there's some pineapple on the grill, and it was it kind of ruined her meal. She didn't eat anything, any of it, any of it, which I was like, So then I died in vain. You didn't even enjoy a nice dinner.
Speaker 1: That's horrible. M hm. I'm so sorry. Do you worry about that?
Speaker 2: I try not to think of it too much, but it does creep in a little bit more than I expected. The older I get. Yeah, now that I have like things in my life that mean a lot to me. Yeah, my grill, my wife.
Speaker 1: My dog, the peky thing for the grill.
Speaker 2: Dog that's right here asleep. I want to be around for these guys. I mean, he well, you know he might not be around as well, as long as we don't need to tell him that. I'm not planning to do anything.
Speaker 1: Jesus, he's going.
Speaker 2: He's going out of that grill, the grill of death.
Speaker 1: What do you think happens when you die?
Speaker 3: I mean, I definitely.
Speaker 2: I was raised in the South, so the church was a part of my life. I'm not a church gal by any means, nor do I consider myself religious. I'm definitely more on the spiritual side. So I think the optimist in me hopes that there is some sort of afterlife that we don't just turn to dust. And I also was very close with my grandmother, so I have this like hope that one day I get to see her again. So even if that's all rubbish, it makes you feel good to feel like that's that there's something something good at the end of all this. Maybe it's not rubbish, it's true, true, there is a heaven.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. They're so happy to see you. Even though their nickname for you is dog killer. They no, they love you up there.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, I don't want to get anywhere near a grill when I have my dog with me.
Speaker 1: They've made that a rule. And Helen, it's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing? Oh?
Speaker 2: Food, Okay, food everywhere. It's like hamburgers, food, bad tie, all the bad stuff, all the stuff that in this life makes you fat. You need as much as you want of it up there, because you're already dead.
Speaker 1: That yeah, it's a food court. None of it. None of it's bad for you. It's fucking delicious. And they're very excited to see you. They're so excited for you. And there's such a big I love the.
Speaker 2: Idea that heaven is a food court of the mall. You've made it, Bud.
Speaker 1: But it's the same lighting really.
Speaker 2: Bright, really right really whoa whoa, And it's like around the world dishes and express is up, there's tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But it's good for you. I mean it's not bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Kill me?
Speaker 3: I'm in heaven.
Speaker 1: But they want to talk about your life fortune. They want to talk about your life three films. The first thing they asked you is what's the first film you remember seeing.
Speaker 2: For the first film, I always watched the movies that I wasn't supposed to watch, Like my parents didn't really track it, like they were kind of like, yeah, like whatever, just watch a movie. I don't know why this. I know this isn't the first movie I ever saw, but it's the one that stuck with me. Was Crocodile Dundee. Oh yeah, that makes sense, And I think it stuck with me because the beautiful woman in the film had this very specific bathing suit. She was like gathering water and it was very high waisted like and you didn't see those kind of baithen suits back then. And the little gay in me that didn't know I was a little gay was like, whoa, what is this? Yeah, So I clocked that movie pretty early on.
Speaker 1: I remember that bathing suit. I think that's the ending I remember from that film, right knife. But I think I believe that crocodiles and married married, Really I believe.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I hope I'm right on that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, like guy, I hope so. Because she was beautiful. Want I rooted for them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the movie.
Speaker 3: I wish I could say that.
Speaker 2: I know I wanted to have like a better film for you, like something that was never like elevated.
Speaker 1: You know, No, I'd much rather you answeries Someone's bikini and in Australia, in sexist Australian.
Speaker 3: Film, Thank you, I'm here to fully Let's that I really don't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh. I know another movie that made an impact on me, The Sound of Music. It was a musical movie.
Speaker 1: Speaking of sexy movies, go come on now.
Speaker 2: I watched that over and over and over and again, and I memorized all the songs and would sing.
Speaker 3: Them all the time around the house.
Speaker 2: I always fast forward it through the part where she because the movie was in two parts, it came back and she was like like the monastery or whatever.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is boring.
Speaker 2: Let's get through this. Let's get to the good stuff. And when I lived in Europe for a year and I went to Austria and I was twenty two at the time. I went on a Sound of Music tour by myself with a bunch of like six strangers. They were all like seventy five years old. I'm twenty two and We're in a van driving through the countries side of Austria with like there's a sad sort of clinging in the cluck in the hole in the bous and the steeple too, and I'm like singing along and the heels are alive. And we went to all well, thanks Red. I went all to the Sound of Music and we went to all the spots and we ate apple Strudel and the old couple. One of the old couples felt bad for me because I was alone, Like, who's this youngster with no friends and asked if I wanted to eat apple strudle with them.
Speaker 3: So it was a very impactful.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I apple struddle with them, very into with them, and then we had a key party and yeah, we definitely three.
Speaker 1: Now. It was a very afformative time.
Speaker 2: It was they showed me the ways of they were older and experienced. I was long impressionable.
Speaker 1: Well, you know for me to say, but that's Europe for you, is it?
Speaker 2: That is you.
Speaker 3: Guys want to come back to my hostel.
Speaker 1: Everywhere you go you can't without being up into in Europe?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What is the film that made you cry the most? Do you like crier? Are you a crier? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm like a crier, like not just I'm not a person that's like known for like, oh you know fortune.
Speaker 3: She cries like, I'm not that kind of crier. But I am a cancer, So I am sensitive.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 3: That's why I see.
Speaker 2: That's why I wear Simpatica, because you got that soul that us cancers have. I remember bawling watching Finding Neverland.
Speaker 3: Do you ever see that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sobbed during that. I sobbed during the movie. Getting in Cars with Boys two Barrymore movie because my mom and I at the time were having a complicated thing in that whole movie was about that. So finding Loverland was because she died in cancer, and then getting cars with boys was a complicated mother daughter relationship. So I was just like, this is hitting Duglass home.
Speaker 1: You were used to getting in cars with old couples. It wasn't completely of it.
Speaker 2: I went to the movie thinking it was gonna be a fun movie, and then I'm like, oh, this is around downer.
Speaker 3: You know where I cry the most.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I think this might be an altitude thing.
Speaker 2: But on planes, if I watch a movie that's somewhat sad, I will sob on a plane, like snot's going down my face.
Speaker 3: It's very embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I'm the same planes are killer. I don't know why it is. I'll cry anything on a plane. My question about Finding Neverland that I never understood. I've only seen it once, but I was confused by the ending because basically, Kate Winslet dies right and Johnny Depp says to her kids, she's in Neverland now and if you ever want to see her, just go to Neverland. And I'm like, as he just said, kill yourselves if you want to see your Yeah, what what was the message here?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Was he trying to say in your imagination that never lands.
Speaker 1: In your No, I think he was saying. I think he was saying, it's a real place to kill.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 3: I didn't pick up on that. I was too busy sobbing.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was another movie, there was another movie about someone dying of cancer, like, oh, well, I mean, hello, still Magnoia's.
Speaker 1: Oh hello, still Southern gal like me?
Speaker 2: That was our Like that was our movie. And she's like it should have been me, you know, it's uh Sally And she's like and her friends just like crying and they're holding their like Kleenex in their hand, like those Southern women do the snotty Kleenex, And oh that one got me.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants to see Julie Roberts.
Speaker 1: Diet Too Pretty today? What about scared? What's the film that's scared you know most? Do you like being scared? Do you like being scared? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 2: I don't love being scared. I'm not a big scary movie yell for sure. I was terrified watching Jaws. I mean I don't think I've been in the ocean since I just yeah, I like put my little shoes in the water and then I'm good. Jaws scared the crap out of me because I felt like that was a real thing that could happen, and the Wizard of Oz scared me pretty early on. I had nightmares as a kid at like a big witch was coming over the banister and to get me.
Speaker 3: And never wanted a two story house after that, and.
Speaker 1: Ever since then we've lived in bungalows.
Speaker 2: We're more of a ranch gap. I'm a ranch gal now.
Speaker 1: What. But what's a film that you love? It is not critically acclaimed, most people don't like it, but you love it unconsistently.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. I mean, I feel like the ones that Finding Neverland and all those stuff can already go into that category. Comedies are never critically acclaimed, which I think is wild. They're always like this was too silly for my taste, Like I love Zulander, you know, and they're like, this is.
Speaker 1: Too many jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is ridiculous, And I'm like crying laughing in the movie theater watching Zoolander.
Speaker 3: Because it's so stupid.
Speaker 2: It's funny that I can't imagine that Zoolander was critically acclaimed, was it.
Speaker 1: I think it was well pretty well received. But you're right, comedies never get never.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I thought that I like, I like dumb movies like that, like Super Silly Anchorman, those kind of things, these broad characters that are ridiculous.
Speaker 1: We talked about this on the on the podcast before. But my question to you is wherever the big broad character films gone? And are you going to save cinema?
Speaker 2: I mean, Bret, I am trying so hard. I have been writing movies for the last like six years. Yeah, I have four, I mean I'm biased. I have three or four that I think. I see some of the garbage that gets made, and I go, I've got four movies here that would blow that out of the water if somebody would just let me make them. And I have one that's on the like five yard line right now that me and my very dear friend Jillian Bell are trying to get off the ground and it is a big broad comedy, super funny, and I know people would enjoy it if we can get it made.
Speaker 3: So fingers crossed, I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why I feel like not enough of comedians in my generation have been allowed to break out in the movies. They kind of keep going back to the same like four people, four to eight people. Yeah, for every movie comedy that's allowed to get made, and you go, let's let some people in our group break out in the movie world. But you know, comedies in general aren't getting made as much as they used to.
Speaker 3: So that's part of it.
Speaker 1: You're going to say, cinema, I believe in you. Well done, by the way, well done, any advance.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: What is the film that you used to love? You loved it, love it no more?
Speaker 2: Oh god, that could be so there could be so many movies that I'm sure don't hold up. No, I'm not one that really goes back to movies and watches them for a second time. So I'm sure there are plenty in that category, but I haven't watched them. I mean, this is gonna sound bad because it's such a beloved movie, but I went back and watched Caddyshack, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, this is I don't love this as much as I remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know, I don't know if that's just me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that's you. I think most eighties comedies have issues. No, you can pick pretty and a large number of comedies for the eighties and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh well they were allowed to make such crazy movies, you know. Now It's like, wait, you have a crazy you have a broad idea of things.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, no, thank you. What is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself it's special, but the experience you had around seeing it will always make it meaningful to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, please, I really loved it. And maybe this again is my southern influence. The movie frad Green Tomatoes.
Speaker 1: Love that film.
Speaker 2: I love that film a bit because I think that seeing two strong female characters like have this like special relationship. Even though the book there's like more lesbian undertones there, they didn't really hit that over the head in this film, But I just love that that friendship you didn't get to see.
Speaker 3: But that Beaches is another one. I was always just like a.
Speaker 2: Big fan of like strong female leads exploring a friendship. That friendship going through different challenges and coming back around being there for each other like always just pulled at my heart strings.
Speaker 3: I think I stopped watching Beaches.
Speaker 1: Beaches is a killer beaches is meant to kill you though? Right? Is a precision to killing mischiefe?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden you go, did you have no money?
Speaker 2: And I can fly high than because you are the winds beneath my wings?
Speaker 3: You're like, oh my god, can you imagine being the wind beneath someone's wings?
Speaker 1: Can you imagine having that much wind? That is?
Speaker 2: That's deep? So yeah, that one got me. Those two movies very influential. It know, it's a lesbian, but those planted some seeds for sure.
Speaker 1: Didn't know you could sing until today. Fortune. It's sort of changed everything. And now I'm like, when you say cinema, I hope it's in a musical. I hope.
Speaker 2: So let's first off, I gotta get cast in a movie for longer than eight minutes.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah sure, And then after that, let's have some singing.
Speaker 1: Yeah what if it's twenty five minutes and twenty one minutes? Is you doing seven songs?
Speaker 3: Sign me up? Very great, different genres and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm often cast as a person that comes in and is like ridiculous for like two scenes, and they're like that was amazing. Those the funniest thing I've ever seen. And then I'm like, can I be a bigger part next time? And they're like, we'll see.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. That was the best thing we've ever seen. You need to go home now. Please please stop coming back hard you to do?
Speaker 3: Please step away from craft services. You're done?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Well I got more where that came from.
Speaker 1: Were well away? You have more where that came from. Please leave the set trying to film? What is the filming most relate to Rudy.
Speaker 2: I'm Rudy. I didn't play on a football team, so I can't relate to it in that way. But I do feel like for a lot of my life I was the underdog. I was like that person that will like try, like try really hard, like I'm gonna work harder than everybody, but then you know, would like kind of fall short because I wasn't like the prettiest or the small the skinniest, or it wasn't.
Speaker 3: The like this or that, and I would it works so hard for that thing.
Speaker 2: And then finally, I don't remember when it was, there was a time sometime I think in like ninth or tenth grade, early high school I sort of finally broke that barrier where I was always like so close to getting something and wouldn't. And then all these people started to clock that like, oh this Fortune's working really hard, and you know, I started to get some traction. And then the older I got, like I started having these victorious moments. But it took a lot of you know, working really hard and getting told no and not getting the thing you really wanted to eventually get the victory. So it's a different I saw my so I saw myself as a rudy like figure in that like, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're I suppose movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but I didn't play football.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: But you know what you did do? You made people happy. People laughed, they cried, they said sing louder, they figured.
Speaker 2: They took their jersey and put it on the desk, said, we're not playing less, Fortune's playing.
Speaker 1: I love it. Here we go, Fortune, and this is what people really are hit for. Okay, what's the sexiest film? And was it Roncadae Dundee.
Speaker 3: That was pretty sexy. I'm gonna say something.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say something that's not gonna be your typical sexy movie. No one else is gonna find this sexy whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Because like a e.
Speaker 2: When you think of sexy movie, you think of like, what's the movie with like Denise Richards and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you think of things like that. Yeah, yeah, you came to that really fast, like my favorite movie.
Speaker 2: I thought this was the sexiest thing I've ever seen because I was so drawn to this person. There's a movie called While You Were Sleeping, not a sexy movie by any means.
Speaker 3: Sandra Bullock is the star of it.
Speaker 2: She's not a sexy character, but she was such a like quintessential like girl next Door peak Sandra Bullock rom com like so cute, so adorable.
Speaker 3: I thought it was the sexiest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know again I was gay, but that like I had a mad crush after that movie.
Speaker 1: Well you like I'd pretend to be in a coma to be with her, Yeah.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure. Bed I was like, why can't I be in the hospital bed and wake up? And it's like who are you? And and she's like I'm your wife, and I'm like great, sounds good, sign me up.
Speaker 3: No questions asked.
Speaker 2: You know, you're not trying to remember how did this happen? Like you just go, yeah, is it.
Speaker 1: There's a sub categories to this question. Traveling bone is worrying. Why I done a film you found a rousing that you weren't sure you should.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, oh yeah, I got this.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: This movie aroused a lot of people, and uh, you, but you wouldn't have thinke, You wouldn't have thought it aroused a gal like me, are you ready for this?
Speaker 3: B hold on to your pantaloons. Magic my cue. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: All the ladies, all the straight ladies in the in the theater were screaming and like yeah, I mean it was like girls going wild. They were losing their minds over all this gyrating. And I went with my straight friends thinking like this is for them. I'm just gonna go for the popcorn. And I was like who. I was like fanning myself, like my collar's tight.
Speaker 3: Channing Tatum's like, you know, like dry hop and everything, and I was like into it.
Speaker 2: Many kind of has like in his little chaps and everybody's just dancing and gy writing, and I was like, I shouldn't be feeling the way I'm feeling, but I'm really into this.
Speaker 1: That is my Mikey's magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he turned to lesbian I.
Speaker 1: Know a lot of straight men who feel the same way about Magic Mate.
Speaker 3: Is that how you felt when.
Speaker 1: They went for the girls in the audience and they stayed for the dry humping men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, look at all the oil and these muscles, those moves.
Speaker 1: You's got pants and talented dancers, very talented. Well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, choreograph this, well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like this, I know this isn't this movie.
Speaker 1: Is not for me, but I'm in It's for everyone. That's a real what a wonderful thing. H It's a real universal film.
Speaker 2: Yes, so now so now I have a one of my male celebrity crushes. Now is Channing Tatum because of it? Respect that's me doing his moss. What is objectively the greatest film of all time? Oh no, I have your favorite, I know the greatest. I don't have elevated taste in movies. Let me preface all of this because I know that other people have really like amazing like they're like the Godfather, you know, something like that. I mean, I'm gonna I can't believe what I'm saying this, This can't come out of my mouth, but I guess the romantic in me just has to say The Titanic, The Titanic, except I don't like that. I think they made a mistake when they had Kate Winslet floating in the water. They made the board too big because everyone in their mother's like, he could have fit on that board.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know my theory of what happened. I think he absolutely could have fit on that board. It's very deliberate that the board is big enough for him. But he has over promised on the ship. He has set himself up like I'm going to be the greatest guy you'll ever know. They have the accident, they're in the water, and he thinks, God, if we make it back to land, there is no way I can live up to the image I've presented here. Interesting, I'm going to look like a gentleman and die here, and then she'll always think of me as a hero. But if you make it back to that, I will never be able to live up to the hype.
Speaker 2: You know, I can't say you're wrong. You might be on something. He's like, I can't possibly be this guy. She's very fancy able to like pay for.
Speaker 1: It's all well and good on this holiday, where like she's running away from the horrible man like, but we go back to land? What where we what was she going to stay in the fucking better breakfast with me instead of her mansion. She's gonna be happy, just fucking you know, got the post games with me and ship. She's a lady.
Speaker 3: She would dump him like too much into being on land and.
Speaker 1: You know how she's gonna remember him if he dies here while she's on a door.
Speaker 2: Man. That movie was great as far as like the romance and that story and rooting for two people.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm not into horror movies.
Speaker 2: But one of the other best movies of all time that always sticks with me would probably be Silence in the Lambs.
Speaker 1: It's a fucking great film. That is. Yeah, that is a great film.
Speaker 2: That one. I mean, how do you freel hello, Clarice? I mean, come on and the brush catch any movie that you can just quote great movie?
Speaker 1: Psycho. What is the film you could have watched the most over and over again?
Speaker 2: The movie watched the most would be the Sound of Music, and that one was on repeat for so many years of my life. Comedy wise, though, Bridesmaids. I have watched that movie more times than I can count. It makes me laugh every time. I always find new jokes every time I watch the movie. And I worked with Kristen and Annie who wrote that movie, and they also I did a small part in this movie Barbin Star Go to Visita del.
Speaker 1: Mair Yeah, which I was gonna say, is the only film I can think of in the last many years that his big broad carriage. Yeah, and it.
Speaker 3: Got It was a unfortunate timing of the pandemic.
Speaker 2: It was literally just a month from coming out when the world shut down, and I think it didn't get its due because of that. I think had it gone to theaters, I think it would have done really, really well. But it reminds me of They wrote Bridesmaids and they wrote Barbara Starr. Both remind me of each other and in that every time you watch them you find something new, And there's so many jokes on jokes on jokes that you don't see that very much in movies these days. But they were, like they're so good about writing and so meticulous about jokes that that they like really take a lot of time with those scripts.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Bridesmaids is like.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: I love it because I love seeing all those friends work together. Again another female cast of really strong, funny women, and it's real, it's relatable, like there's so many women who've been in that situation.
Speaker 1: At the other end of the scale, and we don't like it to be horrible. So do this quickly. What's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: Oh? My god, the worst film, hands down, I've ever seen. Is the most ridiculous movie that I don't know how it got green light. We've watched it many times as well, because it's so bad. The movie tiptoes.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you've seen I have not seen it. I watched the trailer, I've read essays about it. I am vaguely obsessed with it, and I'm not sure I could make it through the film to tell the listener it is.
Speaker 3: It's so bad. It's Gary oldman and he's playing a little person.
Speaker 2: This was many, I mean decades ago, so it could never ever get made in any stretch of the imagination, anytime of recent times.
Speaker 1: He they put.
Speaker 2: Shoes on. The man comes to the whole movie on his.
Speaker 1: Knees, but he's playing it like he's gonna win an oscar, right, He's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's not a jake fully committed to this character as him playing a little person, shoes her on his knees.
Speaker 3: Matthew McConaughey's in it. Can they take beg and sell? I don't know, I don't. I mean, these actors weren't unknown when this happened.
Speaker 2: They were like early on.
Speaker 1: I think it was later to night, wasn't it after he won?
Speaker 2: As it's none of the plot makes sense, you're like, who's that person? I've watched it with friends where we're screaming crying, like laughing and crying, going what is this? What is that? Who's this? I don't know what happened, how this movie got made, but it is the most bonkers movie that I can think of.
Speaker 1: That is so bad.
Speaker 2: I think you have to watch it just to see. Like, but watch it with friends too, though, because it is a pretty like you'll all be pointing out different insane things.
Speaker 1: Yes, the trailer alone is like it starts and you're like, oh, it's a rom come on his knees. Oh it's a drama. What the hell is going on? I don't know?
Speaker 3: And then it's a love story.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh it's bad.
Speaker 1: Anyway. You're in comedy, you're very funny, what's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 2: It would be a tie between Bridesmaids and Anchorman. Those were pretty high up on the list for me. I'm trying to think if there's an even older one.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 3: Do you have a movie that's made you laugh the most? I'm just curious.
Speaker 1: You're not I allowed to ask me, I know.
Speaker 2: But as I didn't know if you had like one coveted funny movie that you think of.
Speaker 1: God, I don't know, because sometimes I think it's different, like as in, there are comedy films that I think are like amazing, Yeah I did I laugh the most at the Maybe not, you know, like something like I don't know, Life of Brian, I think is so amazed, such a brilliant film. But am I laughing that right? Probably not? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I see you watching watching a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's cute, funny, that's funny, Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Forty year old version pretty that was pretty funny, you.
Speaker 1: Know the Jack back in the day. Yeah, yeah, any any business.
Speaker 3: You know, an old school an old school funny movie that is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But that I was like really obsessed with growing up, was Billy Madison. I watched that movie all the time. Always was like, you know, reciting like bits from the movie for my friends. I just opened for Sandler a couple of weeks ago, and I told, yeah, it was amazing, so fun. He's the nicest guy. And I was like, this is such a trip. I said, I memorized your first album and I would try to make people laugh by doing your bits when I.
Speaker 3: Was in eighth grade.
Speaker 1: What did he say?
Speaker 2: He thought it was so cute and funny.
Speaker 3: He was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: We started singing lunch Lady Land together backstage. It was pretty great. But Billy Madison, I would be like chlorophyll more like boor phil or be like I like shampoo.
Speaker 3: Shampoo is better, No condition is better.
Speaker 2: You know, It's just such a jump silly movie that it stuck with me for so long.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited for you saving cinema fortune.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You've been wonderful. You've been wonderful as expected. However, Okay, when you were home from touring for a day, yeah, and you'd made quite a big deal of having a day off, and you kept saying, your wife, I'm having a day off. You happy, it's your birthday. Are you happy?
Speaker 2: Are you happy?
Speaker 1: She said, yeah, I wish you didn't have to keep sort of saying it in the aggressive word, wish you were happy. No, I'm really happy. It's great. It's great to have a day off. And then your wife said, do you want to work the grill? And you were like, my stand up hands. Yeah, my poor stand up hands. I've got a day off. And she said, come on, you can hold a pointy thing, and you're like, okay, it's like a mic. She said, So you put some things on the grill, a couple of steaks, some chicken breasts, and you're sticking the boggy thing in and you, because you're hand cramps from the thing, you turn it and you stab yourself yeah, with the pointy thing, and your wife comes rusting over it, and you go, I told you I shouldn't be working on my day off. And she goes, honey, what do we do? And you go, I told you, and you go, hang on this. She says, is this the last thing you want to say to me? If you don't? And you go, I told you, and oh, yeah, I love you as well, and then you full face first into the grill, your body and face. Now cooking your wife's gon fucking what a mess. Anyway, she turns down the grill. You're dead. She takes the steak off and the chicken she eats them. I'm walking past with a coffin, you know what I'm like, and I'm like, hey, fortune's wife's fortune there you got? Yeah, I think she's just she's dead on the grill. What oh no, She goes, have you got a coffin on you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I actually do as it goes, I come says, will you help? I say yeah. She said, you have the steak though it's pretty good. She actually cooked that very well. So we see it. We have steak together, and I'm like, the smell. We should probably we should probably deal with her now. She's like, yeah, now, I go it's up to you, but I would recommend it. She goes, okay, So when we have to try and get you off the grill, but you are like melded in with half a chicken, some carrots and auber jeanes, a cauliflower steak, some meat. So we have to peel you off. I get the knives, we chop you up to try and get wow, put you in this coffin but there's more of you than I was expecting, what with all the food that's now attached to you, and the burning and the ash and the cults, and I go, look, listen, I've stuffed to it. I put you in. There's there's no room in this coffin. There's really no room. There's only enough room to slide one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side and beside this movie night every night? What film are you taking to show the food in the food court in the sky when it is your movie night? Fortune fiends day? Please?
Speaker 3: Well, well, what a tragic end.
Speaker 2: But if I'm going to uh have movie night every night in this food court, I don't want it to be a bummer movie. Titanics, Titanics, I'm gonna get that's gonna get old. There's only so many Celine Dion songs I can listen to. I gotta I want to I want to laugh. So I'm gonna have to go with my my old standby and take Bridesmaids.
Speaker 1: People are gonna love it. The food is going to love it in the food court in around the world. Fortune, You're wonderful. Is there anything you'd like to tell people to look out for, to listen to or to watch coming up.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would. I would love for people if you're into stand up comedy.
Speaker 2: I'm on the road. I'm going to many cities. I've already been to many cities, but the rest of my tour is on my website. I'm going all over the country. I'm even going to London and Amsterdam over there that I'm doing Union Chapel that I don't know this comes out, it's like the.
Speaker 1: End of January. Yeah, it's coming out in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, I'm gonna be in London at Union Chapel in Amsterdam. I can't pronounce that one. But those are the end of January. Tons of shows like DC Denver. I mean, I'm I'm everywhere Wisconsin and you can go to my website Fortune dot com to see if I'm coming to a city near you. And I have a new podcast with Brett's dear friend May Martin and taking to Taro. It's doing really well and we have fun and giggle for an hour. So check that out if you like podcasts. And yes, oh yeah called Handsome, I'm so great.
Speaker 1: Work it out you work out. You'll find it summer. If you like.
Speaker 2: Comedy specials, I have several on Netflix called good Fortune and Sweet and Salty, So check us out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fortune, You're a dream.
Speaker 3: Thank you for doing this, Brett, You're amazing.
Speaker 1: I see you very soon. I hope, I hope.
Speaker 3: So you're one of my favorite people to run into.
Speaker 1: God bless you same to you have a good death.
Speaker 3: Good night, good night.
Speaker 1: So that was episode two hundred and seventy eight. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com. Forward slash Brett Goldstein for the extra twenty minutes of chat, secrets and video with Fortune. Go to Apple Podcast give us a five star rating. But right about the film, it means the most of you and why it's a loving thing to read. My neighbor Marian loves it and I really appreciate it. I hope you're all well. Thank you very much for listening. Thank you to Fortune for giving me her time. Thanks to Scrubius, Pip and the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Play Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and least a load them for the photography. Come and join me next week for a cracking guest. No spoilers, it's a big one. You got to love it. So that is it for now. In the meantime, have a lovely week and please be excellent to each other