Speaker 1: Welcome into Real America's voice. This is Sunday the Road Forward. Stay with us as we discuss the intersection of faith, culture and everyday life. I'm doctor Tim Clinton. I'll be your host our special guest joining this week. He is the President of American Values and Senior vice president of Public Policy for the Doctor James Dobson Family Institute. Gary Bauer is back with us and she is the best selling author, speaker, podcaster, a strong voice for righteousness and culture. Hidie Saint John is back. He is Senior vice president for City Serve International and Vice president of the National Faith Advisory Boy Todd Lamfeir is back with us and he is the best selling author, podcaster, and founder of Homeword.
Speaker 2: Jim Burns is with us. Thanks for watching. You hold me up today, you call.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 1: While we're continuing to witness the rise of socialism in America. Really it's the rise of communism in America. Radical l Sieed and moderate Hailey Stevens battled it out for the Senate Democratic nomination in Michigan. L SIEID has won, shocking the nation. The radical left, they're putting a death grip on the Democratic Party and they're cascading off the cliff. If you will open borders, abortion on demand, after birth, reckless spending that's driving up inflation, abolishing ice, empty prisons. Why abolish our current way of life? It's crazy and all I has continue to lock in on the war on Iran in the Middle East. The President is clear he is going to end Iran's nuclear threat. For forty seven years, they've been rogue and defiant the negotiation games that they've been going through over the last few weeks months, President Trump, He's done with it. We need to be praying earnestly for our leaders and for peace in the Middle East right now.
Speaker 2: Riley Gaines exploded.
Speaker 1: You remember her in culture when she took a no men in women's sports stand in the NCAA. Now Indiana Fever superstar WNBA Sophie's Cunningham has taken a stand no men in women's sports and locker rooms. I'll add the WNBA coaches they're squirming a little, seemed confused over what a woman is. Social media is going wild over it all. Riley Gaines said this, the WNBA has a problem with conservative politics and sports. Probably he's not going to end well here. Support by the way is growing nationally for Sophie Cunningham. They're showing up the games. It's going to be interesting to continue to watch how this thing unfolds. And I've got to bring up Fauci. Those Fauci hearings. They were horrific and a total mess. You lied to the American people during the proceedings. He pleaded the fifth over one hundred times. Just insane. How many people died? How much money did they all make? How does he get away with this criminal garbage? Senator Ran Paul announced the possible Senate vote to hold Fouching and contept Congress, and then he wants to make a recommendation to the DOJ on what to do.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 1: I know, our hope, our strength comes from the Lord. Here's a great verse to hold on to this week, Isaiah forty one, Verse ten. Don't fear, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, and I will help you, and I will uphold you with my righteous hand. All this and mores. We jump headfirst into our discussion here on Sunday, the road forward. Let's pray and we're going to get started God be with us, bless our time here, Use it for your glory. God, guide us, help us to stay close to your heart. May we bring great glory to you and all that we do in Jesus' name. Amen, let's get started.
Speaker 5: For more encouragement and to stay connected, follow doctor Tim Clinton on Facebook, Instagram, and X. We love being a part of your life.
Speaker 2: Johns now Is Gary Bauer.
Speaker 1: Bauer served in President Ronald Rega's administration for eight years as Under Secretary of Education and Chief Domestic Policy Advisor. Today, he serves as president of American Values and educational nonprofit organization right there in Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: He's also senior.
Speaker 1: Vice president of public Policy for the doctor James Dobson Family Institute. Gary, welcome back, Thank you for joining me.
Speaker 3: Thank you Tim. Always great to see you and talk about the great issues of the day.
Speaker 2: Gary.
Speaker 1: President Trump a few weeks ago claimed that communism was probably the greatest threat to America. And this socialism communism rise that we're seeing all over this country is shocking. It's stunning. We saw it this week in the primary up in Michigan. I just wanted to get your take on what you think in the what in the world's happening.
Speaker 3: Gary, Yeah, as usual, Tim, President Trump, who we both admired greatly, always gets it right. Communism is like the walking dead, you know, no matter how many times we think it's finally proven itself to be a failure and it's gone and we don't have to worry about it anymore, it comes roaring back with a new generation that's never seen the mass murderer and all the rest that always comes with it, And I think that's exactly what we're seeing today. He also said that racing Michigan was not between a socialist and a liberal Democrat. It was between a communist and a socialist, referring to the Liberal Democrat. So the Democrat Party is moving further and further to the left, and it's this dangerous alliance we're seen between radical Islam and Marxism. It's a threat to our country, it's a threat to our future. And it shows me that the Republican Party has got to get its act together. We've got to be a lot more stude. They have to be a lot more a stude. They've got to be willing to argue the philosophical case for freedom. We can't take for granted that the American people, particularly are young, already understand that Gary.
Speaker 1: My understanding is Gary Peters, the incumbent decided not to run, and so there was a kind of a playoff between abdual ealth Sieid and I think her name is Hailey Stevens. She was supposed to be, like you said, more moderate. I guess Gary, help us understand again who these people really are. We know that there's this Islamic kind of dearborn Michigan. It's just like they've taken that place over. And that's who else I eed is connected to. But what does all this mean again? What's happening here? How can someone so radical get into that kind of place that nomination?
Speaker 3: There are a lot of reasons, Tim I you know you mentioned you're always kind of enough to remind people that I work for Ronald Reagan for a years. I run into people today saying I just wish we had another Ronald Reagan. Man. You know he would sweep into office. No, he wouldn't, because the America we have today is not the America that elected Ronald Reagan into landslides. One difference is there's been a tremendous demographic change in our country, and even though the left denies it and some people are confused about it. Cultures are different, they have different values. We're supposed to be a country where people bring their culture with him, but then they assimilate, you know, Union Many for one. Today we have the exact opposite. We have people bringing Third World cultures here and hanging on to them, often having more loyalty to the traditions of the place they left for reasons I assume was that they didn't like but they come here and they recreate that culture. So we have places in Michigan like Deerborn, where in some neighborhoods it looks more like a neighborhood you would see in the Middle East, not a neighborhood you would see in the Middle West. And this guy that just won in Michigan, he was much more animated and much more committed to arguing about the West Bank in Israel than he was about what's happening in the West End of Detroit where minority families are suffering and can't walk the streets in safety. So these are alien philosophy. They're gaining ground. And then you add on top of that, every year we graduate out of our left wing universities, more young Americans that have been indoctrinated into socialism and Marxism and have been taught anti American history, not American history, and all of this together is a witch's brew that risk America losing everything we have stood for for the last two hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 1: We saw a tweet come out by former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and he said, here's a sentence that you probably thought you never read ten years ago. Hamas' supporter may well be well. He is the Democrats nominee to represent Michigan in the Senate. The Democratic Party, he said, is headed down a truly dark road. All Americans need to wake up to this threat. I mean people are talking now openly about this is a real, real threat to America. We're not talking about people just trying to get elect in office. Something is like you said, Gary Brewing, and it's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Tim Adlai Stevenson, I believe, ran against Dwight David Eisenhower at one point, and they were very different about a whole lot of things, you know, the size of government and so forth. But America wasn't going to be an appreciably different place if Stevenson won or Eisenhower won as he did. On broad important things, there was agreement, and that was the case. You know, you can go right up to JFK and Richard Nixon. I mean they went at each other. They had big disagreements, but not about whether America was a good place, not whether we were a shining city on a hill, not on the question of whether our liberty came from God or came from government. On the big things, we were all in the same page. No longer the age we are living in, there are two widely separate ideologies I could competing with each other. And if the group that we saw won this primary this week in Michigan, if they end up running America, it will not be a safe place for people like us. It will not be a place with as much freedom for our grandchildren as you and I Tim were fortunate enough to enjoy in our years in America.
Speaker 1: Gary, I'm gonna close this way election integrity. Again, in the midst of all this stuff, you're seeing all this happen, and then you come back and think, well does it even matter? I mean, based on what we've learned about voter rolls in things like that, the integrity side of the things missing. Gary, something's going to happen. Is the Save America Act gonna get through the Senate or not?
Speaker 2: You think?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, Gosh, I try to be optimistic these days about everything. Why do I have a hard time being optimistic about this?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: People talked about getting rid of the filibuster because that would be the way to pass it. Unfortunately, I don't believe we've got fifty Republicans willing to pass it. Even though there are fifty three Republican Senators now, a couple of the ones that won't vote for it are leaving, one retired, one got defeated in his primary. But I want to see an up or down vote, you know, who is the majority on this, and then voters can make their judgment. And as far as whether it matters, we need to have the mental attitude of let's turn out in such numbers that it's too big to rig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gary, I'll tell you what. We got to pray, and we got to work. We got to roll up our sleeves and get after it. Always great to see you, my friend. Thank you for joining me.
Speaker 3: You too, Tim God Bless.
Speaker 1: Coming up next. She's the best selling author, speaker, and podcaster, Hi Do You Saint John is Back.
Speaker 6: About forty percent of veterans need some mental health assistance each year. These problems include PTSD or post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety depression, substance use disorders, and a host of other behavior propects.
Speaker 7: We all know the mantra of the military, no Man left behind. It's a promise, a commitment that no one fights alone, and yet today, far too many veterans, first responders, and military families are navigating their greatest battles by themselves. That's why we created the Military and First Responder Mental Health Coach Training Program, and that's why we launched the No One Left Behind Initiative. As we celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, we are reminded that freedom has never been free. They're a partnership between the American Association of Christian Counselors, Christian Care Connect, the International Board of Christian Care LUKE, and the Human Flourishing Alliance. We are equipping a new generation of helpers across America. Through this training, you'll gain practical, evidence based and faith integrated tools to support veterans, military families, and first responders.
Speaker 8: He said, a week after my first gun pipe, I'm sitting in the bleachers, my wife's watch our daughter in a swim meet. The starter's gun went off when I didn't expect it. Boom, part pounded, gasping for hair, drench with sweat. His wife thought, Hed, you having a heart attack. He didn't know what was happening. Well, it was a panic at that and it's normal.
Speaker 7: Together, we're working to equip five thousand new helpers across America because those who protected our freedom should never have to fight their battles alone. Join the No One Left Behind Initiative today. Become a military and first responder, mental health coach, and help us ensure that no one gets left Bond.
Speaker 2: Now is Heidie Saint John's.
Speaker 1: She's the best selling author, podcaster, speaker, mom to seven children, a lot of grandchildren. She has a strong and fearless voice for the family and for righteousness and culture. Heidi, welcome back, Thank you for joining me.
Speaker 4: It's great to see you, HAIDI A.
Speaker 1: Lot going on out in Washington, the state. But these fires that are happening out there, Hadi, what seven hundred or so seven hundred and fifty homes destroyed, a lot of people being displaced, like one hundred thousand people. My understanding is, at least at this moment, they're uncontained.
Speaker 2: What's going on. What happened?
Speaker 4: Well, they've arrested a man for arson.
Speaker 9: Witnesses say that there was a man who had waterproof matches and a buttane lighter that was bending over a section of the woods. Many people saw him. He was arrested just a couple of days ago. But I want to point to a deeper issue. I mean, I obviously I'm very concerned if it was arson, But if you could see out my window right now, I live up on Livingston Mountin. Normally we can see about one hundred miles to the south. I can't see past my railing right now because we are absolutely inundated with smoke that's billowing in from Spokane, Washington, which is five and a half hours away from here. So that shows you the devastation of the fires in Spokane. And here's the bigger issue, the reason that Washington State is burning and the reason that Oregon is burning over a million acres. This is the worst forest fire, the worst wildfire in the history of Oregon State. It's set to do that same thing for Washington State. Yes, you can blame an arsonist on it, but what you really need to blame are the radical environmentalists who we have been electing to office now for decades.
Speaker 4: In the late nineteen seventies, my granddad.
Speaker 9: Who used to work for the Forest Service, told me that if we did not clean the forest bed, we would have wildfires the likes of which we have never seen. And many of you will remember the controversy of the spotted owl in the eighties. This is what started all this stuff, and so we refuse to clean the forest bed. When I was running for Congress in twenty twenty two, I walked with the Forest Service through the forests of western Washington State. They have literally blocked off fire roads. They are chained shut so that firefighters cannot get in to contain these fires. And so people say it's not political, it is absolutely political. Here in Washington State. We care more about pigeons than we do about people. We care more about animals and more about birds and protecting habitat than we do in protecting the habitat of human beings that live here. And we're reaping the consequences for it. So this is not just a name.
Speaker 4: I've grow up here. We've always had hot summers.
Speaker 9: The forest here are spectacular, the fires are new, and you can blame it directly on radical environmentalism.
Speaker 1: You know, Riley Gaines speaks a number of our events. We've been together a lot you with her, etc.
Speaker 2: She took a.
Speaker 1: Bold stand, took on the endc double a and just said, hey, listen, no men in women's sports and bye.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Social media blew up over it recently. Sophie Cunningham, Indiana Fever. I mean she flatter, it's with it. I mean she is all over the place, took a stand the w NBA. It's a mess going on right now. Seriously, we got coaches who are all they're blubblering all over themselves trying to figure out what to say, how to deal with this. I can't even figure out. It's the w NBA. They can't figure out what a woman is seriously hiding.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: People are showing up at the games and in the support of Sophie Cunningham, and you've got this trans community losing their mind. It's unbelievable. Just your take, Where do you think this is going? She isn't she's not moving, she's not budgeting.
Speaker 9: Well, Praise the Lord for her. Praise the Lord for Sophie Cunningham and my friend Riley Gaines. Praise the Lord for these very bold and courageous women. It shouldn't be bold and it shouldn't require courage to say that a woman is a woman and biology does not change because somebody decides they don't want to be that particular member of that particular sex. It's ridiculous. The WNBA should be ashamed of itself. They should be ashamed, and they're not. The recent the most recent curve fuffle happened here in Portland, in Portland, Oregon. They played over here, and the mess of the WNBA, it's embarrassing. And you know, I'd like to say to you, they say they don't know what they say. They don't know what a woman is, just like a Tankie Brown Jackson when she was when she was interviewing to be on the Supreme Court. What a sham of a Supreme Court justice that woman has turned out to be. But it started when she said that she couldn't answer the question because she's not a biologist. Listen, this isn't that they don't know what a woman is. They lack the courage to tell the truth. They lack the courage to stand up to wokeism. These are lies that are coming from these people.
Speaker 4: Shame on them.
Speaker 9: I hope the NBA. I hope the WNBA goes bank up. It's painful to watch, anyway, I.
Speaker 2: Hope they go bank It's a mess.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Hey, before you go, I've got to ask you about the Fauci hearings. You talk about horrific and you talk about a mess that was unbelievable, pleading the fifth what someone hundred times and more. And then this week RFK Junior shocks the nation when he comes back and says, hey, it isn't COVID and talking about the origins of that. He's talking now about RSB and he's talking about limes disease. Right, what in the world, seriously is this true? You know that it's unbelievable to me that this is happening in our culture. Just the closing thought or two from you about all that, well.
Speaker 9: I think it just it should be a reminder to us that elections have consequences. Again, like the wildfires in Washington State that didn't just happen randomly, They happen because of bad leadership. The same thing is true, and and OURFK Junior is uncovering it. We have terrible people, I would say, in many cases, wickedness in the highest positions of authority in our country, continuing even into the healthcare industry. Listen, I lost my dad in COVID. I watched my dad die on FaceTime because they wouldn't allow us into the hospital. I watched my dad suffer and die after he was vaxed and boosted. So no one's going to tell me that this wasn't done on purpose. These people have an agenda. All you gotta do is go look at the World Economic Forum and look and see into Fauci, the high Priest of the branch Convidians. Go look and watch it. That guy's diary. They knew exactly what.
Speaker 4: They were doing.
Speaker 9: They need to be held accountable. I was listening to the news this morning. It sounds to me like the Attorney General of Louisiana is going to hold him accountable because they deposed this guy and he basically pled the fifth and his definition. Turns out it wasn't that he couldn't recall. He recalled what he had for breakfast. He kept a diary. He's lying, and when you lie to the American people, there should be accountability. I hope to goodness that we hold these guys accountable. We can never let this happen again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to speak up and suit up and show up and amen, God be with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know amen. He indeed so much for joining me.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Coming up next.
Speaker 1: Senior vice president for City Serve International and Vice President of the National Faith Advisory Board, Todd lam Fear is back with this. Did people ever come to you asking for help? Maybe hope, encouragement? How about for prayer?
Speaker 2: Do you ever wish you.
Speaker 1: Understood the issues better that people were wrestling with, or how to use the Bible more effectively and caring for people? If so, I'd love to get a copy of our Caring Council Bible in your hands, featuring one hundred and sixteen topics written by some of the world's leading mental health and ministry experts. I think you're going to love it. It covers today's most challenging issues in every phase of life. This Bible provides clinical expertise and insights on topics like discouragement, abuse, depression, divorce, anxiety, abortion, and so much more. So you can learn more about these issues and how to use again the Bible more effectively, how to share passages of scripture with others, maybe sitting down over a cup of coffee, or maybe it's just a resource to help you get through a tough time.
Speaker 2: You know, I to love most about this Bible.
Speaker 1: It's so easy to use you right up front, are going to find an index with subjects, key passages of scripture, personality profiles, and so much more. The Karen Council Bible is retailing for eighty five dollars, but we're going to make it available to you right now our listeners and viewers for just fifty dollars plus shipping. Again, I think you're gonna love it. For more information about how to get this Bible right now, go to Karencouncil dot com. That's Careandcounsel dot com. Join tens of thousands of people who have received this beautiful new King James Version Caringcounsel Bible. I'm doctor Tim Clinton, President of the American Association of Christian Councilors. Get your copy of the Karen Council Bible right now at our special price while supplies last. Go to Careincouncil dot com. That's Care Andcounsel dot com. Johnny's noow Is Todd Lamfeir. Todd is senior Vice president of City Serve, a global Christian humanitarian aid organization. He's also vice president of the National Faith Advisory Boy Todd, welcome back, Thank you.
Speaker 10: For joining me.
Speaker 11: Always good to be with you.
Speaker 6: Tim.
Speaker 2: Tod's get started.
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, you've found yourself in Venezuela recently, No kidding, seriously, you flew down there.
Speaker 2: Everybody thinks about Venezuela.
Speaker 1: They think about the oil, and they think about the capture of Mandura. But Todd, tell us why you went there and what you saw.
Speaker 10: Well, Tim, most people just have totally forgotten about Venezuela and the earthquake that happened not one but two thirty nine seconds apart seven point two and a seven point five earthquake. That earthquakes that hit Venezuela totally devastating.
Speaker 2: I was in late June, right late late June.
Speaker 10: June twenty fourth, and quite frankly just didn't get any media play, international play. The world's forgotten, but the people of Venezuela are hurting big time. Boots on the ground are estimating upwards to one hundred thousand dead and missing. And so we went there. I've been there a couple of times, headed back there Sunday, and really it's the church. Although Venezuela is a socialist communist regime, Maduro did get captured, but you know, still a law of the same faces are in place there. But the church is thriving in Venezuela. But the church is also hurting. I've met with over two hundred and fifty pastors, will be meeting with another two hundred and fifty pastors this next week, and you know, they're ministering themselves. They've lost people. I can't tell you how many pastors I met with Tim that lost a son, a daughter, a spouse, a grandchild, and yet our still having to meet the emotional and grief stricken needs of their congregation. And so yeah, through Pastor Paul in the National Faith Advisory Board and what we're doing with City serve to collaborate together to really come alongside the local church in Venezuela to try to be of some assistance to them.
Speaker 1: Todd. I saw where a Samaritans person was there, also Franklin Graham, his daughter Sissy Graham Lynch, their boots on the ground type thing, and you're right, they're open and you guys are making a difference. You're showing up. That's what you're being. The hands of beat of Jesus. That's what we're called to do in the midst of all this, Todd. Maybe some people don't really understand City Serve City Serve International, who the organization is, what you guys do, But it's a billion dollar kind of engine out there bringing humanitarian relief to people.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: Our goal is to is to resource the local church that they can be the heroes in their community. And we target the local church particularly in disasters, because that church was there before the disaster, there in the middle of it, and we'll be there long after all the disaster relief organizations are gone. The church is still going to be there, and so we really look to resource the local church so that it can be the hands and feet of Jesus as you just described, Todd.
Speaker 1: You're also doing some major work in Ukraine I know the news cycle picked up again Russia, some missiles or whatever getting in Ukraine this week. But Todd talk to us about you're developing a trauma response program. It's something we're proud to associate be associated with you on You're going to be meeting with pastors here coming up in a couple of weeks over in Poland, and then you're going into Ukraine. But tell us to kind of work and the need that's there.
Speaker 10: You know, you talk about war torn area that's Ukraine, and you talk about the church and how it is stayed in the midst of every bomb that's been flying in Again last night rockets hit Kiev and some twenty plus people died. This is just ongoing and the mental health crisis that is happening in Ukraine right now cannot be ignored by the Church. And because of the American Association of Christian Councilors and your Trauma Informed Care Coaching certification, we've been able to bring some of the best of the best in Ukraine for this training. Ukrainian Baptist Theological Seminary, Pentecostal Union of Ukraine, to Save Ukraine, to City Serve Ukraine.
Speaker 11: I mean it's just.
Speaker 10: Intercessors for Ukraine public reading scripture, all coming together for the purpose of having this biblically excellent material to help people through the most difficult times of their lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got to realize that God has not abandoned them. They've got to make sense of this insanity they've been living in and through and what happens to them in every aspect physically, emotionally, spiritually, relationally, and so much more. Todd, I took the hat to you and the leadership there at City Serve International.
Speaker 2: Faith.
Speaker 1: Todd, all this comes back to, and it's anchored in our hope we have in Christ. And thank God, the current administration here in our country sees faith. That's significant, so much so that the President and the administration put in place a White House Faith Office. I know, they set forth that Religious Liberty Commission that's done some amazing work. The Department of Justice has also been involved in what they they were dubbing the Anti Christian Bias Task Force.
Speaker 2: But Todd, there also seems to be a surge in faith in America.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about Bible sales are soaring, The younger generations are showing up in church. Young Men in particular under the age of thirty are saying that faith is important to their everyday life. Over forty two percent said that, and Todd, we're seeing revival on college campuses and more talk to us about faith and getting stuff done. It's one thing to talk about it and around it, but it's a whole other thing to implement programs that actually move the needle so that people quote experience what it's like to be loved on by God. And God has no greater plan than to use people like us to be his hands and feet.
Speaker 10: As you say, yeah, that is so that is so good. You're spot on with this. There is a surgeon, a resurgence of faith. There's some great things happening, whether it's on the college campus with Unite Us, the organization there that's just seeing Revit will sweep across our secular college campuses, to the public reading of scripture quite frankly on secular campuses is rising as well. All these things are just amazing positive signs. I'll say this though, Satan doesn't necessarily mind if you if you put your hat in the faith ring. He just doesn't want you to do anything about it. You know, and that's where we must come together, and we must really shake the leaves and and and encourage pastors in particular to be able to take bold stands to say now it's our time, you know, to teach the whole counsel of God. It with this resurgence of faith, there has to be a resurgence of courage as well. And they need people of God need to stand up say rights right and wrongs wrong. And that's really our prayer now, and to get these young people discipled. They are hearing some voices that really are contrary to what we would call the the standard Judeo Christian practice of backing Israel and supporting Israel and h and so. On the one hand, great things happening, we need to stay vigilant. We need to disciple these young people into the ways of God and in quite frankly, how to how to flesh out their faith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's that old saying, Todd? All this necessary for evil to triumph is for good men and women to do nothing.
Speaker 10: Edmund Burke said it said it best there.
Speaker 1: It is at the end of the day, I make all those who come behind us, Todd, find us faithful. That's what the scripture, says, I was great to see you, my friend, Todd Lamfeir, Thank you for joining me. Thank you, Kim coming up next. He is a best selling author, podcaster, and founder of Homeword. Jim Burns is with us.
Speaker 6: About forty percent of veterans need some mental health assistance each year. These problems include PTSD or post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression and substance use disorders, and a host of other behavior problems.
Speaker 7: We all know the mantra of the military, no Man left behind. It's a promise, a commitment that no one fights alone, and yet today, far too many veterans, first responders, and military families are navigating their greatest battles by themselves. That's why we created the Military and First Responder Mental Health Coach training Program, and that's why we launched the No One Left Behind Initiative. As we celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, we are reminded that freedom has never been free. They're a partnership between the American Association of Christian Counselors, Christian Care Connect, the International Board of Christian Care LUKE, and the Human Flourishing Alliance. We are equipping a new generation of helpers across America. Through this training, you'll gain practical, evidence based in faith integrated tools to support veterans, military families, and first responders.
Speaker 8: He said, a week after my first gun pipe, I'm sitting in the bleachers with my wives watching our daughter in a swim meet. A starter's gun went off when I didn't expect it. Boom part pounded, gasping for hair, drench with sweat. His wife thought, did you having a heart attack? You didn't know what was happening. Well, it was a panic at that and it's normal.
Speaker 7: Together, we're working to equip five thousand new helpers across America because those who protected our freedom should never have to fight their battles alone. Join the No One Left Behind Initiative today. Become a military and first responder, mental health coach and help us ensure that no one gets left by. Johnny me Now is best selling author, founder of Homeword and the popular Homewood podcast. Jim Burns Jim, welcome, Thank you for joining me.
Speaker 11: A privilege to be with you. Tim, Thanks for all you do.
Speaker 2: Jim's get started.
Speaker 1: You know, family, everybody's talking about the family, The decimation really of the family, Jim as you through the years of just seeing what's happened. Yeah, what are your thoughts about the current state of the family and.
Speaker 2: Where are we going?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, I think there's two parallel tracks. I'm actually pretty excited about a lot of the younger generation that's saying we're going to take family serious. The Zach world, your son, other people who are saying, hey, we are about family, And there's this parallel track that's doing that, and I think they're going to really succeed, and I think they're going to flourish. There's another track that's just breaking apart quicker than we've ever seen the family happen. For example, when you look at the gen Z generation, you've got kids who are coming back to church, but you also have kids who twice as many atheists, so you've got a lot of things going on. And the famili's complicated. I was just speaking at a megachurch in Austin and the topic was on complicated families, and I said, how many of you do not have complicated families? No one raised her hand in all five services, and the pastor, who's my good friend, said, my wife didn't even raise her hand, I said, well, we all have complicated families, but no, the family could be is in trouble in some ways. And then also we've got to look at the positive side too. There's some people who are taking on the seriousness of creating media safe homes, talking to their kids about sex and sexuality, engaging in faith conversations.
Speaker 1: That's good, Yeah, Joe, A lot of people have been talking about how we're lost in our screens. I was just on a trip and I just I paused just to look around me because I find myself loshed in my own phone. You know what I'm saying, our digital devices. But you're be'al talking about doom, scrolling, bed routing, all kinds of things. And true, I mean, we are lost in our phones. But what are the culprits that really destroy closeness, connectedness, that wiring that we all crave in our families.
Speaker 11: Well, one of them really is the screen. I mean, we really we're out of control. And what's crazy is it's not just the kids who are addicted to screen time, it's also the parents. So I think that we have to take a step back now that we have some information and even some research on it, and realize even how it plays in our brain and what's going on there and relay is that we've got to create I mentioned the phrase create a media safe home, and what that means is we're not going to be our kids best friends. We can't give our kids cell phones too early. We have to manage that. We have to watch through that. But we also have to so as a family, I think we need to come up with some principles that help us create this media safe home so that we can have family time. We're making it the babysitter. So kids are learning how to self soothe at a year and a half because it works, but it's not healthy for that. So we hand them the phone and they get to watch Thomas the Train. It's not even a bad thing. But now they're self soothing with the digital device. The dopamine drop, even at a young age, continues through you know, through adulthood, and we've got to we've got to be thinking about this in a different way. The question I always ask is are you building your family up through media or are you tearing it apart? And if you're tearing apart, then families have to take some courageous, bold moves and there are things you can do that in a positive way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim.
Speaker 1: In the midst of all this too, we're hearing now a lot about family estrangement. Yeah, basically kids going no contact with their mom and dad or vice versa, ghosting one another. Uh, Jim, And I'm thinking about You've got a new book out called When Your Adult Child Strays a little different. But at the same time, it's this loss of connectedness again, this wiring that we're we're hardware for. And so, Jim, what's happening, what's happening to us? And are we where are we missing it? Why is this happening?
Speaker 11: Well? Tim, First of all, in the culture, twenty seven percent of families have someone who's been who is estranged. And it could be a dad, it could be an adult child, it could be somebody else. But the adult child is number two. Dad's first adult children. And so I think what's happening is there's a whole group of people who are saying be in a safe relationship, and to be safe, just be a strange from your family, be a strange from your family. And again, if there's sexual abuse, physical abuse, you've got to separate and do that.
Speaker 2: You know that we get all that. Yeah, yeah, I'm with you that.
Speaker 11: But the issue is not But that's not the issue. The issue is estrangement means a break in a family relationship, a break in a relationship, so we've got to do everything we can to build it back. And I think parents do it wrong. Parents are saying to their kids, you're wrong and I'm right, and let me tell you why. As if that's going to help them, they feel even less safe them. I think what parents have to do in it's so hard. It takes discipline, but I think parents have to just stop and say, you know, how can I mend the relationship. It's not about being right or wrong. It's about how do I re establish and reconnect the relationship, And I think you do that by embracing I'm sorry. So I was just talking with somebody recently, and you know, the kid was more wrong probably than the mom and the dad. But I said, you know, I think you're going to have to just say, I can see where you're coming from, I'm sorry you feel that way. You don't have to agree with them, but you can still show empathy. And when you do that, now you're taking a step in the right direction of building the relationship back. We have to understand that inn estrangement. If we keep pounding, it's only going to cause them to go farther away and farther away and farther away.
Speaker 1: Jif somewhere, maybe even in our counseling, this boundaries piece has potentially gone too far, you know that we start talking about feeling unsafe or whatever, and it's just like, come on, man, seriously, what did I do move the fork the wrong place? I mean, I mean, did I forget to put the towels back? I mean, seriously, what happened? Why are we all losing it?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I just think there's a lot of factors going on in culture. And then Jim think too also about a child. And I know this is the heart of your new book. When your child, when your adult child strays, there's nothing more painful. I mean, it's beautiful. I have no greater joy than to know my children walk in the truth, proclaim the truth. But boy, boy, when they stray, when they get lost, it's just like a piece of your heart just like goes with all that stuff.
Speaker 11: Right right, It cuts so deep. And I hear parents say all the time, and a lot of it comes out of they feel shame. They are not defined by their kids' poor choices. And that's something I have to say to them all the time. You're not defined by your kid's poor choices. And what happens is your time about boundaries and we build boundaries. People have taken it so far that now it's called build walls. They're not used in the word wall, but they're building walls. Boundaries are not well boundaries. It's a resource to be able to bring an avenue to have good and healthier communication. But it's not building walls where you strange or where you deconstruct or whatever it might be. So for families who are trying to have healthy boundaries, they have to respect the adult child's boundaries, but they also have to build healthy boundaries, like you know what here, here's how we do it in our house. That's a good boundary. You don't you know, we're not going to let you have your boyfriend or girlfriend, you know, stay at our house together. Okay, that's if that. You know, that's a boundary. That's fine. They're not going to say great job, wonderful mom and dad. We think that's great. You still have boundaries. That's healthy. At the same time, we can't build walls up where we say, you know, we're arguing over politics, we're arguing over you know, faith issues, We're arguing over everything, and it's time to you know, build bridges, don't build walls, and you can do that through healthy boundaries.
Speaker 2: Jim.
Speaker 1: I know there are a lot of issues, and I saw how you addressed a lot of them. But this struggle between helping and rescuing, you know, getting lost in maybe a friendship versus a guide or I don't know how all this, Jim, those dynamics get really tricky, but they're important to clarify so that we can move in and out this space together as parents and children, you know, or adults together in this new world. Yeah.
Speaker 11: No, you're right, and we have to realize we have to ask a question, you know, Tim, I think are we helping or are we enabling? And so helping is good. You know, we can help our adult children, we help our younger children. Of course, enabling dependency on us is not healthy for them because then that's going to cause some entitlement and a failure to launch. So I think it's important for us to understand that our job is not to rescue them, and our job is not to be their best friend. And that's for people who have adult children or people who have younger children. We don't have to be some horrible person. We can have serious fun with them, really enjoy the relationship. But again, and too many people are enabling dependency and they're trying to, you know, be the savior of our kids. And last time I saw we have a savior who's doing very fine. We don't need to replace him when it comes to that. So yeah, we can help, but we can enable. And I think those are the two that's a big difference.
Speaker 2: Right there, Joe, want to close this way.
Speaker 1: I remember church service not long ago, Pastor Jonathan Fallwell said, hey, listen, everybody.
Speaker 2: Has a card out there.
Speaker 1: If you have a wayward son or daughter, a prodigal or what have you, and you're really burdened about them, I want you to write the first name down and if you feel comfortable, I want everybody to move the front and put them up front, because we're gonna pay over all of them. We're gonna pray for our kids. I had never seen the movement to the altar like I saw that day, right What it did is it spoke to my heart and it said, you know what, you have no idea what's going on behind the closed door and the burden and the tears. You hear what I'm saying, and the yearning for God to do something special.
Speaker 2: Jim.
Speaker 1: That's why I appreciate this new book When your adult child strays. If people want to learn more about you this book, where can they go?
Speaker 11: Well, I think they can go to our website at homeword dot com. The book is also available on Amazon and any place books are sold. And I appreciate your input. And I think that illustration of what happened at your church is so true. We can't do it alone. We've got to We've got to be able to share our pain so that we can do this in community, so that we can and get the wise counsel that we need so that we can thrive in relationships.
Speaker 2: Jim Burns.
Speaker 1: When your adult child strays, get a copy of it to can Jim, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 11: Thank you so much, Tim.
Speaker 5: For more encouragement and to stay connected, follow doctor Tim Clinton on Facebook, Instagram, and xit. We love being a part of your life.
Speaker 1: And closing These are unprecedented times, they're wild times, they're sometimes unbelievable. But know this, God's in control and he's at work. I hope you're pressing close to Him and his heart. Know that he loves you, that he wants to be involved in your life. Our hope, our strength comes from the Lord. Again, here's an encouraging verse to hold on to this week from the Bible, Isaiah forty one, verse ten. So do not fear, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. I love that hope you know that you can look to God for wisdom and direction in your everyday life. Let me say this, I've also learned as a professional counselor that it's pretty normal to have concern or fear or worry, especially when it feels like not the way it's supposed to be. But I've also learned too that if you're not careful to begin to consume you control you, it's easy to lose perspective, maybe even hope. It can get so dark for some they would feel like life would be better off without them. I say this every week. You don't have to live like that. Simply taking a step reaching out for help or hope it's often the gateway to a new day or a new you. And if you or someone you love is struggling, hope you'll do that. You know there are wonderful councils and pastors out there who care can help you find the hope some of those answers that you're looking for. There are also a lot of amazing resources available now. I'd love to connect you with some of those. You can find out more at our website at AACC dot net. That's AACC dot net. Or if you want to find a Christian mental health provider in your area, check out our new website, Christian careconnect dot com. That's christiancareconnect dot com. You know, if you don't have a personal relationship with God, you know you can do that right now by asking Him to come into your life. You can simply ask him to forgive you of your sin and be your Lord and savior. Maybe you want to pray a prayer right now from your heart to his. Simply pray this prayer, Lord Jesus, I need you. I know I'm a sinner. I believe you died on the cross for my sins. I want to turn from how I'm living and invite you into my heart and my life. I want to trust you. I want to follow you as my Lord and savior. Thank you for loving me, forgiving your life for me. Thank you for the gift of grace and forgiveness, the gift of heaven. I pray all this in Jesus's name.
Speaker 6: Amen.
Speaker 1: You know what the Bible says in Romans ten nine. It says that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus' Lord, you believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Best thing you can do if you prayed that prayer is tell someone and then commit to living your life for God. He'll give you the strength to do it.
Speaker 2: I promise you.
Speaker 1: If you're struggling with hopelessness, you feel like atim, I'm in so deep, it's so dark, I need help right now. Why don't you pick up the phone and talk to someone, start a conversation.
Speaker 2: Call the suicide hotline.
Speaker 1: That number is nine eight eight, Just simply down nine eight eighth, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. And before we go, maybe God's blessed you with a heart to help other people. I'd love to invite you to become a part of our Mental Health Coach first Responder training program. You can enroll right now and beyond your way to becoming a Board certified mental health coach. That's right, a Board certified mental health coach. Over ninety thousand people have now enrolled. Everything you need to know about this program is at light University dot com Forward slash Mental Health Coach. It's a forty two hour training program. It features some of the world's leading mental health and ministry experts, all on video. You can study twenty four seven three sixty five.
Speaker 2: The best news. It's a twenty four.
Speaker 1: Hundred dollars program, but there might be a scholarship up there for someone just like you. Go to Light University dot com Forward slash Mental Health Coach. I'm doctor Tim Flinton has always thanks for watching. See you next week right here on Sunday, The Road Forward on Real America's
Speaker 2: Voice made by God