Speaker 1: What's happened and everybody, Welcome to a Friday edition of Texans All Access from the Hundai Texans Or Radio studio. I'm your host, John Harris Football and on the sideline reporter. Glad to be with you, and nothing like ending the week with a visit with Texans general manager Nick Cassario.
Speaker 2: We'll get that in a little bit.
Speaker 1: We'll also have a little where are they now with roe Beart Smith, one of the last guys to wear ninety nine before Travis Johnson wore it and then I think J. J.
Speaker 2: Watt has been the last to wear it.
Speaker 1: So Robert Smith will be on the show here a little bit, and then we'll go around the NFL because as the DeAndre Hopkins world turns, took a trip to Foxborough, which I would say surprising but a little bit a little bit given the history of their offensive coordinator and DeAndre Hopkins. But then again Bill Belichick will make the decision on that, so we'll see what happens with DeAndre Hopkins. But Sunday he's going to Tennessee, so he's in New England, He's at Tennessee and we'll see where the talented pass catcher ends up very very soon.
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: Maybe it takes all away training camp and waits for a player to get hurt and then you can fill in a spot. So we'll talk a little bit more about the NFL goings on in our final segment, but we kick it off with Nick Cassario.
Speaker 2: We always a blast talking to Nick.
Speaker 1: We talked about any number of things, including when Nick was a kid, what did he do for summer vacation? As I put up my hands in air quote form, let's go mark me Nick.
Speaker 3: Now we are delighted to be joined by general manager Nick Cassario. Nick, how's it going? Happy summer and OTA's a mini camp and everything else?
Speaker 4: Good to be here, Good to see you guys.
Speaker 3: Well, tell us how it's going right now, because we're in that off season practice period before the long break. So what are you seeing out there? What can you share with us about that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Really, at this point, we've had a fairly productive spring nine practices to this point, I have a few more remaining next week kind of finish off with the mini camp. It'll be very similar to what we've done here in the last few weeks, but from the start to where we are now as a team. We've made We've made some progress. You can see both individual and collective improvement, whether it's a position group, whether it's an overall group offensively or defensively. The players have worked hard, they had a good attitude, in good condition. Really, this is about just sort of laying the foundation, getting everything installed, and we come back in training camp kind of start back over, but it'll move at a quicker pace and then we're really getting ready to play football. So overall, we're pleased with what progress that we made. And you can't speak enough about the players, just their attitude, their approach, their professionalism on day to day basis. The coaches have worked hard, the players have worked hard. We've made progress. So we'll see if we continue to build on it as we go.
Speaker 4: Nick used the keyword install.
Speaker 1: How important have these weeks during OTAs and mini camp been, given the fact that new verbiage, new offense, new defense, et cetera. How important have those week Spenser, You can hit the ground running it in training camp.
Speaker 6: No, it's huge, and this is a great opportunity to maximize the time that you have with the players. We go from phase two to phase three, you're implementing the things that you've discussed in the classroom. Now there's an application component once you actually get on the field, and there's going to be things that happen at a different pace, a different speed. And you can see just standing behind the drills and listening to some of the communication on both sides of the ball. That's where you start to build a foundation, and you start to build the trust with the players that are next to you, and then you talk after the play what did you see on that play? Well, here's the reason I made that call. And then you go back and can watch it on film and you correct it and you talk about it. So there's been a lot of really good information flow back and forth from the players to the coaches and vice versa.
Speaker 4: But this is really our.
Speaker 6: Opportunity to practice what we've put in place, what we've installed in the classroom, and the only way you get better is with reps and work.
Speaker 3: What can you tell us about the offense and how it might look what you're seeing out here putting the system in how Bobby Slowak's offense is going to operate.
Speaker 6: The one thing about the spring that you probably offensively can't spend too much time on or it's just the way it's set up is it's the running game. So kind of to John's question, that's more of in the classroom. Here's the base, here's the scheme, here's how the plays are blocked. Because of the limited amount of contact you can have, So the spring ends up being a little bit more about the passing game. So it's about the timing, It's about the execution of the overall passing game, ball placement, seeing coverage, reacting to what you see. I would say it's gonna be a multiple offense. I think most offenses are multiple. You're always going to start somewhere and then you're gonna sort of build on that, but multiple formations, multiple position groups.
Speaker 4: I think the big thing from a player's standpoint.
Speaker 6: Is schematically, you've probably run a lot of the same plays. It's just how are we going to term it here? How does Bobby call it? What is he looking for? What is a coaching point? I think the preciseness and the precision and the positioning of where you're supposed to be on a play is critically important, and those are things that you can work on during practice, you can work on after practice, you can work on your own in kind of pods or individual groups. Not to get off on too much of a tangent, but I think Case has done a great job of taking some of the younger players, or taking the position group in the morning before we meet or before practice and going through the script, so there's an opportunity for to hear it called, to hear the information to kind of what's my assignment on the play. Then you get in a meeting to see it again. Then you go out there and practice it. So that's you're trying. You're trying to build and get as many reps as you can. However you can do it. So I think in training camp we'll have a better idea the combination of the running game how it fits with the offense. But the running game is certainly going to be an important part of what we're doing offensively.
Speaker 1: Nick rookies coming off of their draft experience, however, you want to look at it. You want to see a group, obviously, whether it's a veteran or a rookie, you want to see them all improved. But this rookie group in particular, there obviously was a lot of spotlight because you have picks number two and three in CJ and Will. But overall as a group, what have you seen from the rookies and if you've seen the progress that you've wanted to see in that particular group.
Speaker 6: Yeah, really three things attitude, work, ethic, and progress. So in those three areas, the whole group is really done a good job. They've had a good attitude, they've been about work. They understand it's about competition. They understand it's not about whatever expectations somebody or we may or may not have for them. It's just about show up each day, be consistent, be intentional with your work, and try to make individual improvement and then try to make collective improvement within the group that you're a part of. So from that perspective, I mean, knock on wood, they've been out there, they've been available, the attitude has been good, the work has been good, and they've been very intentional what they're doing on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: Nick, the media is able to watch some practices and there's a lot of talk about who's running with the ones and the twos and the threes. Is there anything less relevant right now than that? Discuss that phase of it, that part of it for us and what to read into those things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, probably not. It's kind of a fun story to talk about. But in the end, the spring is about installation of your offense. And really what you're doing is multiple people are working with multiple players. So because when you think of the overall arc of the season, at some point, whoever is in the building sixty five to seventy players, there's probably a good chance that they're gonna be on the field. So you're not waiting until, well, now this player is available. Now I have to get my reps with him. Everybody rolls through, everybody gets an opportunity. We're managing count rep count load. Some of that is based on sports signs. Some of that is based on what we need the player. If we get to a point we need to pull back some we've seen enough of certain players. Other players are going to get more reps. So everybody works with one another. You're communicating with each other. Honestly, it doesn't really matter who's on the field. At some point, somebody's gonna have to be on a field. But even offensively, you're gonna have eleven personnel, you have twelve personnel, you have twenty one personnel.
Speaker 4: You gonna have jumbo. Same thing on defense. You have a base group, you're gonna have a Nickel group, you gonn.
Speaker 6: Have a dime group, And there's gonna be different people in different spots, and some of this is a little bit trial and error. You might put a player in a position, let's see if he can handle it. Just as an example, Brandon Hill's taking some reps inside of formation at Nickel that he didn't do that at Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: He's primarily been a safety. But if you enhance your.
Speaker 6: Overall ability to learn multiple spots and show that you can handle that capacity and handle the assignment, then the work that goes along with it in conjunction with what you might do in a kicking game.
Speaker 4: That's what the spring is really about. The rest of it.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's a fun story for people to talk about it right about but at any end it real didn't really matter.
Speaker 4: Get into the end of it.
Speaker 1: Then you got this big break where the players are out of the building. What's the biggest message for the players to take out of the building before they come back into a first training camp.
Speaker 6: Be smart, make good decisions, don't lose sight of the work that you have to put in and continue what you've established and put in place before training camp. So the worst thing any player can do is when we're done next week, really four to five weeks of sitting on your ass and doing nothing. That's really not going to help you get ready for training camp. It's not well, we'll get ready in training camp for the season. It really doesn't work that way. So you have to have the right mindset. You can be a little bit more strategic with how you maybe you structure your day, but have a plan. Wake up each day, what's my routine?
Speaker 4: What am I going to do?
Speaker 6: When am I trying to accomplish? Conditioning and work? Those are the things that you can focus on. It's not so much about schematics and X and O, but you can there's plenty of things that you can work on away from the building to make sure that you're mentally and physically prepared for the rigors of what you're going to endure once training camp starts.
Speaker 3: Well, we know you have who you have. The player acquisition part of the year is largely over, but it never really ends, so there's still some players out there nick in the wind, and how do you evaluate or go about the process of do we need this guy, Does he want to come here? Do we want to sign this player? How do you go about that?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 6: All the above, Mark, I think the player acquisition process, and we've talked about this multiple times, is very fluid. It's ongoing, so it's not certain segments of the year. There's a little bit more volume that's associated with it. But i'll throw out the spring from you may after the draft. Until this point, we've worked players out through the spring, and you're trying to have there's a couple pods or groups of players.
Speaker 4: Kind of a camp ready list.
Speaker 6: If you lose a player in camp, maybe he's a ninety man roster player, or if there's another player that you feel can have a definitive role and really improve and help your football team. And finances are always a part of that as well. You can't lose sight of that. So we have a certain amount of flexibility that's available to us.
Speaker 4: So we've been very open minded.
Speaker 6: Demiko and has talked about this, and we've talked about this collectively. We'll look at our options and we'll try to make decisions that we feel our best for the football team. And if there's an opportunity that makes sense for us to pursue, then we'll look at if it doesn't work, we'll kind of keep moving forward. I think we have an idea of where we are as a team, kind of what we have in the building, and if there's something that we feeling we need to do, then we'll address it.
Speaker 1: Nick, when you were a New England, you guys did a lot of joint practice. In fact you're doing with us at twenty seventeen. Now you got joint practices two with Miami, two.
Speaker 2: With New Orleans.
Speaker 1: How important were was it to get those four practices on the schedule.
Speaker 6: No, it really be a great opportunity for our team to continue to grow and to work against another team, and we're going to see things from each side of the ball with both of those teams that either a we don't do or something new, and it's another learning opportunity for us. So as we get into that, how you structure practice could affect how we play the preseason games. But you want to make sure that everybody's getting an adequate amount of work. But the first two weeks will be about the Texans, and then once we transition after the New England game and Miami comes in, here. Then they'll be a little bit more of a understanding the opponent, because this is what it's going to be during the regular season. Play a game the next week, prepare for a different team, prepare for a different opponents, start to understand the personnel, start to understand what are they trying to do in all three phases, and then the following week the same thing. And that kind of simulates as best you can what the regular season is going to look like. So it's a great opportunity for really our entire organizations, great up team, for the players and coaches to kind of get hopefully productive work done with two really good teams and let's say organizations and clubs that we respect.
Speaker 3: We had a big town hall with the season ticket members, you and coach Ryans and what a couple of thousand people there or whatever, a lot of people asking questions, what'd you think of the event and what'd you take away from that? Doing what you do?
Speaker 4: Nick, My one question is where was Toro? He couldn't make that.
Speaker 3: Well, he was around somewhere taking a lot of pictures of people.
Speaker 6: No, I think that the support what it shows is there's a significant amount of support for Demico, the team what we're trying to do, and I think we're we're excited about the opportunity in front of us, and we just appreciate the fans sort of sticking with us, and there's an appetite for winning, and I think everybody is craving winning. Winning in the end is going to be about work. It's going to be about having a good process and being able to go out there and execute when it matters, most on Sundays, but.
Speaker 4: It's always great.
Speaker 6: It's a it's a different type of forum, but it gives everybody opportunity to kind of express some of their sentiments about how they feel. And we have an obligation and responsibility and kind of fiduciary duty to, you know, answer the questions, try to be honest about where we are and be realistic and just let them know and thank them. And we appreciate the support that they provide for us, because this we can turn this place into a pretty good home field advantage and it's going to be about to support that we see from the fans. So it's really about getting the stadium, fill in the stadium, make it as hard as possible in the opposing offense and give them something to cheer about. So it's a great opportunity for us to sort of connect with maybe some folks you really don't get a chance to on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: I want it known I did not plant the best question.
Speaker 4: I want to know right.
Speaker 2: Fast question.
Speaker 4: Retired of the best.
Speaker 1: No, there's no, there's no way.
Speaker 2: You can't. You cannot.
Speaker 4: It would be hard to do.
Speaker 2: It's part of your quote unquote brand speaking.
Speaker 4: I had no brand speaking brand less.
Speaker 2: The opportunity to get away, be a family get away? How much?
Speaker 1: How important is that for you to regenerate before a long season?
Speaker 6: Huge important for all of us, and I think we all have to be cognizant of the time that we have with the people that really we care about and love the most. And it's really not just about that four to six week period and all of a sudden when you go back to work and never see your family again. It's really it's your opportunity to just focus on the girls and what they want to do, and they know day doesn't have to run off to work. So which is it. It's great. I mean, honestly, really look forward to it. I think we all should look forward to a coach to look forward to it. It's good to take a step back and sort of recalibrate and refresh, and there'll be some things that will be spinning in your head. But the breakneck pace isn't there the way we know it's gonna be once training camp starts. So we're definitely excited and it'll be a great opportunity for all of us to get some time together.
Speaker 1: How hard is it for you to hit the brakes because you're going to I mean, you go right from the draft, then you go right to O T is like you're going eighty five in the left land. How hard is the throw on the brakes and be WHOA, I don't have to go in. I am on quote unquote vacation. How hard is that? Because I know it's hard for me, and I'm not even as as you are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not as hard as maybe you think. It's all about just your commitment and just your attitude and approach. I think one of the things that all of us try to do, myself included, maybe there's some things personally, just from a learning standpoint, maybe there's something that you can dig into, do a deeper dive on maybe it's a topic that you've made some notes you want to go back and refresh or maybe go back. And you know, my enjoy reading, so it's something that during the summer it's an opportunity to kind of work through some things, some things that may have some relevance to what we're doing, or if you clean an idea from something you come across so that you can get as much out of it as you want and you can still be productive with your time. It's similar to what we talked about with the players. You still got to get on a regular schedule, kind of establish your routine. Whatever your pac and cadence is going to be over the course of the summer, but always look forward to it. It's a great time just for us to kind of to step away and get away. And I think all of us should take advantage of opportunities because we don't get them. You know, we're fortunate where we get four to five weeks where we really have to ourselves, and that doesn't that's not always the case.
Speaker 3: Well, being summer, a lot of people have kids, So what did you do with the summer when you were a kid?
Speaker 2: Did you have a job?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, that's an awesome question.
Speaker 6: So I started playing baseball when I was six years old, so we had a six seven eight year old league. So I was doing that, and then let's see, when I was ten eleven years old, was doing AAU basketball. So when school was over, I was going from summer baseball to AAU basketball. We qualified for the national tournament. One year it was in Indianapolis, another year it was in Tennessee, another year it was in New Orleans. And in conjunction with that, so and I've talked about this, so my dad has essentially been in construction since he was eighteen nineteen years old. He's had his own business. He just turned seventy the other day and he still works. So I'd say, you know, we're grounded in a pretty strong work ethic.
Speaker 4: That's how I grew up.
Speaker 6: And part of that was we went to work with my dad, so we were shoving the concrete, doing all the labor that was associated with that, and really look forward to it. So between school was over all, I'm gonna go work with dad. And also my grandfather who passed away you know a year year and a half last year, he was also in construction. So part of it was go work with dad, go work with my grandpa, Papa Niro, And then I was doing sports. So we were we were active.
Speaker 4: I was active.
Speaker 6: We didn't take vacations, so my mom and dad were running me around to baseball field, to the basketball court and were I was working. I would wake up in the morning, I would go to work. We'd wake up, you know, early, go to work. We were on a job by seven thirty eight o'clock. We'd work till five five thirty and then as soon as work was over, I'd race to the baseball field and go play in a game. So and I honestly, I loved it. I mean, that was what we did, and did that kind of all the way through high school, and once high school was over, went to college and kind of transitioned to a little bit, and the preparation during the summer, you know, was about football workouts and look forward to that. So everybody kind of has something that they remember and just about their their child and how they grew up. And you know, but it was baseball, basketball, and I was doing construction and loved every minute of it.
Speaker 1: So you played all three sports. That sounds like my summer because when I went to Brown. My friends would be, well, where did you vacation. I'm like, I didn't vacation. I was like, I played a basketball in a baseball game in the same day.
Speaker 4: That was we didn't vacation.
Speaker 6: I think one year we went to Lake Chautaqua. That was kind of other than that. If we went away, it was traveling for baseball. We had a baseball tournament in Columbus or wherever it was, New Philadelphia, Ohio. That was our vacation and that was what we look forward to. And my parents were phenomenal about that. They never missed anything. They always got us there. They were always supportive of what we were trying to do. So very fond memories in the summer, so it wasn't as uh Honestly, these summers are a little bit slower paced than they were growing up.
Speaker 4: For you know, for my.
Speaker 3: Brother and I was Cedar Point there when.
Speaker 4: You were Cedar Point in Sandusky.
Speaker 6: Yes, I wasn't a big I know this is a shocking development, but I wasn't a big Cedar Point guy because it was not that I didn't have time for it. But I know everybody thinks I was miserable as a kid, didn't have any fun. But I enjoyed sports and I enjoyed working, so that was where the focus. But yes, Mark Cedar Point was in Sandusky, Huge, Yes you had Cedar Point in Jyaga Lake. We're sort of the two amusement parks. But I was usually going to the baseball field, so that's where I was going.
Speaker 3: I've got one more football one for you, because now that you've watched the whole staff coach for a few weeks before you were working with them draft evaluation, player acquisition, but now actually watching them on the field coaching, and this kind of ties into what happened last night. The vibe of Dimico Ryans and what he brings and the energy. What are you seeing out there on the field in that department the vibe Nick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, I'd say just from a coaching perspective, it's energy, it's communication, and they're really good teachers. And so there's a lot of detail that goes into and Demiko is big on fundamentals. Focus on your fundamentals and being intentional with your movements on each play, whether it's your first step, whether it's a linebacker that initial step, how you take on a block, how your feed or position as a receiver where you're supposed to be on the route. I'd say the level of detail and coaching and focus. It's been a lot of fun to watch. We've got a good combination of some younger coaches and some veteran coaches, good clear communicators, and really what you want to do as a coach is just provide the player of the information that they need and then not over coach it. But no one, okay, will address that in the meeting room or know how to address it. So a lot of this is how you handle your players, and every coach is sort of have to learn the nuance of how the player absorbs information, how he takes the information, how does he handle adjustments, how does he handle if there's a mistake or something on the play.
Speaker 4: But the staff's worked really high.
Speaker 6: They got a great attitude, They've got a lot of energy on a day to day basis, and really starts at the top with Demiko and it kind of trickles down to the coordinators and in the position coaches. But it's been a lot of fun to work with this group. They're all a bunch of great I would say people. In addition to being you know, really good coaches.
Speaker 3: Nick, thanks a lot for being with us. Have a great summer. If we don't see it, but we're going to see you anyway. But thank you for the visit.
Speaker 4: Thank you, guys. I always appreciate it.
Speaker 2: The feeling is mutual with Nick Cassari.
Speaker 1: I love having Nick in studio, catching up before football ops essentially goes on a break. We were on a break name the show. If you can, Ah, good on you?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: I said earlier, where are they now? Robert Smith coming up next with Drew Dory. This is gonna be some fun stuff. Stay tuned right here to Texans All Access. Maybe it's just me, but I got back to Houston in two thousand and seven, and so those years two thousand and two through two thousand.
Speaker 2: And six, I'm always intrigued.
Speaker 1: I'm always asking Mark Vandermure about those years and what happened during that time. So I always love a little where are they now with those players that didn't get a chance to see Starting in two thousand and seven, Robert Smith was one of them. He caught up with Drew Doherty for a little wat and to Texans All Access style, let's go Robert Smith or Drew Dory.
Speaker 7: Let's go, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 8: The great Robert Smith joins us here on where are they now? You played for the Houston Texans back in that first decade of the century. Doesn't feel it makes me feel old having to say that, because you and I are the same age. But goodness gracious, a while back, but you played here. It was an interesting time and we're gonna get into that. But Robert Smith, how you doing and where are you these days?
Speaker 5: Oh? Man, I'm doing great.
Speaker 9: I appreciate you asking me and having me on, but I'm still here out in Houston, you know, out here living with my family and joining this good Texas weather man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, indeed, Now you're like me. You've you've got five kids. You've got four kids. We both have twins. You've got You've got some kids that their chips off the old block, aren't they athletically? Because your brother in law, Travis Johnson was telling me a little bit about them about a week or so ago.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean they're getting there, you know, Like you said, I have two daughters that's older then I got my twins sons. Now that they're they're fifteen years old, you know, and those guys about big as me right now.
Speaker 5: So you know, it's it's just a good thing to sit back.
Speaker 9: And kind of watch them going to their own to be able to do something that they seem like they loving to do, and to be around to help, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So I think that's the most important part for me.
Speaker 7: Does that feel like a luxury?
Speaker 8: You know, being able to be that involved because you know a lot of us are parents, our dads, our moms. They were working and they didn't have the time that perhaps you might have right now.
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, you know that was a big thing for me during the later parts of my career. I wasn't able to be here in Houston with them because when my daughters was growing up, once we got down here in Houston, I didn't want them traveling with me anymore because I wanted them to be stable, be in a school system, be around people that they can call friends, you know, for life. And now I got time now, well, you know, I guess since the last couple of years, I don't want to tell my age that I don't play no more.
Speaker 5: You know that I got time now.
Speaker 9: The way I can grow up, I can interact with my boys, help them with football, do some of the things with my daughters.
Speaker 5: So I mean, it's been a blessing with that.
Speaker 8: I won't give your age away because it's the same as mine, so I'll just say we're twenty nine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, keep it at that way.
Speaker 8: You're not from here. You played your college ball at Michigan State. You played in some other places in the NFL, but you decided to settle here and make Houston your home.
Speaker 5: How come?
Speaker 9: I mean, it was just like a home feeling always. Like you say, I'm originally from Flint, Michigan. I started off playing with the Tennessee Titans down there in Nashville, and then once I got here, man, from the first day, it's just felt like.
Speaker 5: Home, you know.
Speaker 9: I told my wife, we always felt like we was going to stay either on the outskirts of Michigan or down in Nashville. As soon as I got here, I told my wife, I'm like, man, I think this is where homes should be for us.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: It was just a homey feel, a lot to do, great weather, great people, great atmosphere, you know, and I just loved it. And it's been it ain't been nothing but great since then.
Speaker 8: It's changed a lot since you decided to come to Houston, since you came to Houston, tell me about those playing days when you got here and what it was like as a Houston Texan it because it was still in the early days of the franchise.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, I mean it was great. Man. It was hot. I know that, you know hasn't changed. The first thing that's stracted with me was it was hot. But no.
Speaker 9: I came in with a couple of guys, some of them with vets and some were younger, you know, the guys like.
Speaker 5: Jamie Sharper, Kylie Wong.
Speaker 9: Those guys I actually knew before because they played with my oldest brother in Minnesota and Baltimore. So it was, you know, sort of like a little home filling with those guys. But as far as coming in, you know, we was trying to build something special at the time because, like you said, it was just getting back around down here. So it was kind of challenging, but at the same time, it was fun. You know, that's what you want as an athlete, that's what you want as a person. You wanted to have to get pushed, you want to have to try to figure some things out. And grow together. And that's what we did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, who did you find yourself linking up with and becoming friends with on this team? I know you had a lot, but who are some of the guys that back then you kind of felt a kinship with and kind of form bonds with?
Speaker 5: Gary Walker for sure?
Speaker 9: You know my brother in law, Travis Johnson for sure, Andre, Dante Robinson, Jabbar Gaffney.
Speaker 5: Corey Corey Butfer you know, Cory Sears. You know those guys. I love self pain.
Speaker 9: You know, those guys was always good guys and somebody that I click with.
Speaker 1: Just right off the bat, he listened to Robert Smith former Texan with Drew Doerdy And where are they now?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 8: You just named a bunch of names and put those names in a bag, and they are a bunch of unique characters. I mean, that had to be a lot of fun. I can see why you'd be buddies with those guys.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, you know. And and most of them are the opposite of me. You know, I'm kind of quiet, laid back. Of those guys I'll go and speak, they mind do something crazy, probably except for Andre, you know, he's just as quiet as me. You know, I think, you know, that's something that made us click like we did. But the other guys, ooh, they'd have totally opposite.
Speaker 7: I want to get it down in a moment. But since you brought them up now, I.
Speaker 8: Know you'll agree with me, and you'll agree with most of the people listening or watching this. But there are a few out there who still need to be convinced. But explain why Andre Johnson belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
Speaker 9: Oh man? The bigger question is why not? You know what I mean? What I mean, what more can he do? You know, this is a guy that basically on the offensive side of that ball, carried this team. You know, he embodies everything what the Texans wanted, what we was trying to build in the early years, seemed like what the city wants.
Speaker 5: What the statement is about.
Speaker 9: He embodies that he's a hard worker, I mean, besides him being a heck of an athlete. To me, unstoppable, you know what I mean. So the hardest question is why is he not in there? First of all, because this is given and it should be there already.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think the answer to that is just ignorance.
Speaker 8: Really, people just don't know enough because if you watched him for any amount of time, I mean, goodness, gracious, yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean you can't deny. You can't deny what he did, what you know, and what's what's for him? You know, I think it's eventually for him, Like we say, you know, I mean, you know, we feel like he should already be in there.
Speaker 5: But you can't. You can't. You can't deny what's going to happen for him. And he's going to get in there, no doubt.
Speaker 8: I can't wait when he did until he does. Hey, you brought up Travis to your brother in law. What's it like being a brother in law of Travis? Because he is a lot of fun to talk with. It seems like he knows just about everyone in the world of entertainment and sports, so on and so forth. But you got a special relationship with the guy.
Speaker 5: What's that like? Oh? Yeah, no, I mean Travis.
Speaker 9: You know, from day one, it's always been like a brother brother relationship between us. When he first came in here with me being an older player going into my fifth year, him being a rookie.
Speaker 5: You know, from the first day when he got in here of camp, he came.
Speaker 9: And sit right next to me during the meetings, you know, So we were stuck together on wantly, you know, but we ended up building a great bond from there and just always hung out. But you know, to your sense with Travis, Travis is a very smart guy, you know what I mean. He's very informative. He very smart. Like you say, he knows a lot of things. He knows a lot of people. And that's something that like a characteristic of his that I always loved about him. It ain't too much that he doesn't know, you know. He knows something about every little thing. He's a smart guy. So I mean, like you said, he got an outgoing personality. Once again, there it go. He oppositely me.
Speaker 5: So I love to be proud because I don't have to say you do nothing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're right about that. He is well versed in just about every subject and current event there is.
Speaker 7: So he's a.
Speaker 5: He's y likable. People love him, you know what I mean. So that's a great thing.
Speaker 8: And you're always you're probably always in good supply with cigars beating around that guy, right.
Speaker 5: Oh man, he loves him, So I let him go ahead and sponsor that.
Speaker 7: For me, it's not bad. That's not bad.
Speaker 8: Hey, memories on the field as a Texan, What were some of those for you.
Speaker 5: On the field as a Texan?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think overall that first year man when we went seven to nine, Man, you know we for you. Yeah, those first I'm not mistaken. Those first couple of games a little rocky, and then we came on. We found our rhythm for a couple of games we beat I think then a good Kansas City team, a good Titans team and uh, you know Oakland. You know, we got those guys and we just was out there. We was enjoying ourselves. We was having fun, you know, flying around and just enjoying each other out there on that field as well as off the field.
Speaker 5: So, like I said, that goes back to something earlier.
Speaker 9: We just was trying to build something special in this team, and I felt like it was coming.
Speaker 1: This is Robert Smith for ad defense lineman for the Texans, and Drew Doherty.
Speaker 2: You know where are they now?
Speaker 8: You know, it's an interesting that that season is a really interesting one because he'd had the first two o two oh three or you're an expansion franchise and not much great is going to happen, win, loss, wise when you're that young. But in December, y'all were seven and seven. I mean, you had a chance there and you were that close. It's kind of the combo of having a pretty solid defense, a good running back in Dominic Davison, you had Andre Johnson doing what he did. It was a really pretty you know, I don't want to say forgotten, but it was a kind of an underrated Texans team from the from the early days.
Speaker 9: When you agree, yeah, I would, I would definitely agree. And like you said, they was the year, maybe like a year or two before I came. That's when the franchise got back going here and guys were still trying to build them.
Speaker 5: But guys was out there strapping. Man. We had some good players.
Speaker 9: Some good bads, like you say, some good young guys and Dominique Davis, Andre Johnson, David Carr at the time, you know, young Jonathan Wells. You know, it was just like a whole bunch of different people that we had to combine together with young, old and you know some mid So I think, like you say, it's an underrated team. You know, we probably probably should get a little bit more respect.
Speaker 5: I'm quite sure. If the record was a couple more womens away, we will be getting that.
Speaker 4: We will, Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 8: Hey, Flint, Michigan, you wind up becoming a Spartan, And it just seems so hard to believe for some out there, not for me, not for you. But before he won all those titles and pumped out all those victories as the head coach of Alabama, way back when Nick Saban was a really good head coach for the Spartans at Michigan State, what was it like playing for him there in the late nineteen nineties.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was great.
Speaker 9: I mean when I look at it, I still see the same Nick Saban, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: He's a guy he keeps you.
Speaker 9: You gotta be you got you gotta do what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it, be accountable for what you're doing. And I see he still goes by a lot of them rules and a lot of things that he did at the time.
Speaker 5: But the coach Saban gonna be coach savant man.
Speaker 9: I think he got way more personality than what people gives him, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's really he got points. He got times where he a fundy guy.
Speaker 9: Man, he's a jugged guy, but people don't see it. They just see, you know, Saturday or when he's talking to the media and he gets a little upset and they highlight that. But he's really a great I mean, like a real great person, you know, one of my one of my all time favorite coaches, favorite people in this world.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you bring that up and we all see externally the kind of gruff exterior. But you can't go in and recruit so many great, great players you be in one of them over the three four decades that he was a head coach, If you don't have that personality and that sense of humor like you're talking about, can you give us some just an insight into a little bit more of that, because clearly he's got that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think he's great because one thing about coach Saban, what you see is what you get. He's one hundred percent authentic, Like he's going to be straight. He's a straight shooter. He's going to tell you exactly how it is. What do you expect, what you can do? What is he trying to push you to? What is your goal? Him pushing you towards your goal and him making you be accountable and stick to that goal. You know, some coaches get there and they switch it up on you. He ain't that type of person.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: He'll sit there, he'll look your parents in the eye, look you in the eye, and let you know what it is. And he sticked by what he going And it's just a look in a field that you can sense when someone is real and he's.
Speaker 5: A real dude.
Speaker 8: So with all that in mind, I'm guessing you're a big fan of guys like Henry Toto, the linebacker that the Sections drafted out of Alabama this year, as well as the clear one Will Anderson Junior, the defensive end. They obviously have a lot going for him, but to have flourished under that guy as their head coach kind of adds a little something extra, don't you think?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 9: I mean, first of all, like you say, those two guys are amazing, you know what I mean, It ain't I didn't just start watching them this year. I've been watching those guys, you know, from from their first year out there. You know, I don't seen the development of you know, the guy like Will Anderson. He was one of my favorite college players period you know, the last couple of years, not just this past year, the year before, always said you can see something special in it. But like with that with coach Savan, you know, those guys are pro ready because that's what he does with his player.
Speaker 5: He gets them pro ready.
Speaker 9: You know, it'd be a lot of coaches that's there and try to do things just for a team and do this just to help they benefit them. But he gets you ready for the next level. And you gonna see that, I'm guaranteed. Then this guy Will Anderson and you know, both of them, they're gonna come out here.
Speaker 5: They're gonna shine, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: I see they gonna be top two of the top defensive rookies out there this year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, it's just a few weeks in. It's OTA's and it's May, but they both looked pretty impressive so far. And I mean, I think that's saying something a little something, don't you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for sure, they look like they probably are already a two or three year vet out there. You know the way going because once again, like I said, that's the program he runs you. He runs a pro style, a pro style atmosphere, a pro style team, a pro style scheme.
Speaker 5: So you know, you come in those guys already.
Speaker 9: I guarantee if they started, if the game, if the if the game started next week, he would be ready and he'd be out there playing.
Speaker 8: They'd be set to go. Well, listen, you're a Hustonian. You obviously have a deep tie to this franchise. I mean you and I we were up on the deck at one of the games this year. I did the kind of the intro like, hey, everybody remember Robershman, you did this the autographs.
Speaker 7: We had fun. What were your thoughts When.
Speaker 8: The Texans signed the Miko Ryans to be head coach.
Speaker 5: Oh man, it was like a brush of fresh air breath. Man.
Speaker 9: This guy, for one, he's a very likable dude. Man, he could communicate. Miko's a good spirit, good person.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean. But he's also a true competitor, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: It's as crazy as it might seem, like you say, like his heart is gold, but he's a he's a competitor.
Speaker 5: He's a different guy when you're out there.
Speaker 9: So I mean, with a guy like him getting an opportunity like this man, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 5: And I hope.
Speaker 9: You know, I hope, and I know he will take full advantage of this and he's gonna shine because he's, like I said, he's a good person. People like him. He's probably gonna be a player's coach. He understand the players. He understands the different walks of life with everybody. So him being that middle linebacker. They didn't just call it captain for nothing. There was a reason then, you know, even though he was younger than some of those guys calling him captain. It's amazing, man. I hope nothing but great things come for him. You know, while he's up here coaching, you.
Speaker 8: Know, he's energized the team, he's energized the offices up here, he's energized the fan base, and you know the national media has taken notice too. But one underrated aspect of folks that he has energized is you guys. The former players. You saw it on the day he was announced and when he met with the media here. There are a lot of it in the building. Some guys that didn't play with him, they played after him, or they played before him.
Speaker 7: Some player with him, but it doesn't matter who.
Speaker 8: All of those guys are pretty pumped that he is now in charge of the Texans.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, for sure, because I mean, you know, just like me, they feel good things coming.
Speaker 5: They feel that was the right choice.
Speaker 9: They feel like he's a good step towards you know, where you want to see the team going, the atmosphere of the city. He can relate to all that. He's a winner. He done prove that. You know, he's a leader. He's for real. He understand what he's doing even when he's coaching. Look at the teams he was the coordinator of. I mean they balled out, so you can only imagine what they're gonna do when he when he's the leader of his own team, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And like you say, we're excited.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Excited That ain't even a word. Man, if it was something better, man, that's what we is.
Speaker 9: We want to see Dimico go out here because we know he gonna put his all into it. We know he gonna have those guys pumped, and we know that he gonna bring the best out of everybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah you're here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 8: Hey, So, other than Travis, what other former Texans do you kind of keep in touch with and are still in regular contact with oh Man.
Speaker 5: A lot of them.
Speaker 9: You know, like I said earlier, you know, me and Gary still good friends. Dante, you know, I still see dre Corey Brown for everybody, man, whether you know it or not. Man, when you come and you build those relationship, those bonds, some of them go way beyond sports.
Speaker 5: That you know from from day one.
Speaker 9: And there's a lot of those guys man, that that I still hang out with and.
Speaker 5: Kick it with.
Speaker 9: Even like when I was coming home when I went to another team. You know, the guys Ryan Dane, which is a good friend of mine. I see those guys, you know, Wade Smith around and you know, all these type of guys, Fred Weary and Milford.
Speaker 5: Brown and all those guys. Man them my guys.
Speaker 9: So we still all talking, you know, somebody, it was like we never stopped playing.
Speaker 7: That's fantastic.
Speaker 8: Well, Robert, what's next for you? Man's what's on the horizon?
Speaker 5: Man? The horizon for me? Man?
Speaker 9: Right now, Man, I'm just kind of enjoying man, watching my watching my sons grow, watching my daughters grow. Man, Because you know, those last couple of years when I wasn't here, I felt like it was a big void in my life. Now I'm filling that void with this time with them even started back then with my daughter's getting up, being able to take them to school pick them up.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 9: I took pride in that, you know what I mean, because it was something that I wasn't able to do. But the next thing was that to go see them grow, get them off man, and hopefully try to find something that I just love to do it again, just as much as I did in football with my life.
Speaker 8: You know, at the words, what's fantastic to hear. Hey, Robert, we really do appreciate the time. It's great to catch up with you. Can't wait to see again at a Texans game or Texans event. Until then, man, take.
Speaker 5: Care, I'll see you at camp.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: All right. That was robertr Smith with Drew Dorian Little. Where are they now? Well? Where is he now?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk about that next and who is he We'll talk about that next on Texans All Access. We're gonna follow a segment this Friday, Nation of Texans All Access. I'm your host, John Harrison, Football Analyst, Sideline Report. I hope for you guys have a great weekend watching my squad Manchester City taking an inner Milan for the Champions League. This will be the trouble. They've won the Premier League, they won the FA Cup. This will be the trouble. It doesn't happen often, and so hopefully that happens on Saturday.
Speaker 2: And I'm pumped.
Speaker 1: I'm as pumped for this as I've been for any athletic contest in quite some times. So go get that trouble, man City. I will be going crazy watching it game on Saturday. Now, let's get there round in the NFL, and.
Speaker 2: Let's start on the media.
Speaker 1: NFL side with this one. One of the four following teams will be chosen for hard knocks, the New York Jets, even though Robert sala doesn't want it. The Chicago Bears could be interesting, the New Orleans Saints, and who's got joint practices with the Saints, the Washington Commanders. One of those four teams will be chosen for hard knocks. The Robert Salaz said he doesn't want.
Speaker 2: It, which means they very well.
Speaker 1: Could get it. So keep it on the Jets, Jets, Bear, Saints Commanders. Now let's go around the world. DeAndre how Hopkins style as he visited with New England and he's going to Tennessee on Sunday, And if you think about it, it makes sense. Tennessee, Tim Kelly's offensive coordinator. He's got experience with hop you know, he's gonna know the offense, the verbiage, all that kind of stuff. Hop will New England same thing. You know, it's Bill O'Brien. And look, I know there's been a lot of talk about that. I mean, I've i've probably engaged in it about you know, New England and Bill and Bill O'Brien and DeAndre Hopkins because they worked together and all that kind of stuff because obviously at the end it was not great in Houston. But time heals wounds, and so maybe that's what's happened. But New England taking a look at DeAndre Hopkins, Tennessee taking a look at DeAndre Hopkins. Those are the two that are getting visits. So we'll see what happens with DeAndre. Is Houston in the mix in that? That's a great question. I you know, obviously he went to Instagram, you know, social media the last couple of days and was you know, poking around. He lives in Houston, He's got family in Houston. I think his kids are in Houston. So there's a lot that Houston has to.
Speaker 2: To bring to DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 1: Does he want to be with the Texans again, that's a I don't know, that's hard to say. I mean, it seems as if there's an interest there with DeAndre Hopkins. We'll see if it's how it turns out for him. But New England, Tennessee's taken visits. Apparently he met with Texans. I guess I don't know if that was just a rumor. So well, we'll kind of leave that out for now and see where DeAndre Hopkins ends up, whether he ends up in Houston, whether he ends up playing for a.
Speaker 2: Team that Houston plays. That could be interesting. All Right, that's gonna do for the show.
Speaker 1: A big thanks to Drew, to Mark Vandermuir, and of course general manager Nick Cassari. That was a fun interview this week, as it always is. We'll see you on Monday, everybody, and as always, go Texans.