Speaker 1: All right, Sabrina, old school drinking game. You have one wish? What is it? Go?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: What old school drinking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because it's just your your friends are sitting around drinking and it's always ends up with the Alright, you got one wish and it can't be from fifty more wishes? What do you wish for?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't know. I'm so bad at stuff like that. I really don't have like a.
Speaker 1: You don't have something that you really thought you could wish for, like if you had. I wish I could fly. I wish I could. It's like nothing like that money. No, I wish I was six feet tall. Nothing.
Speaker 4: No, oh my gosh, no, no, I really, I mean.
Speaker 3: No, I wish I think so many memories. It's I'm the worst. So I would go down more like my memory.
Speaker 4: I wish I could relive, like meeting my kids for the first time, being in that first like couple of months with Jordan being on the.
Speaker 3: Road with the Cheetah girls, like I would relive. That would be my wish to be able to like relive.
Speaker 1: Can that be not like a do over? Life?
Speaker 3: Not a do over, just like to just go.
Speaker 4: Back and see it again. And see if I would see it differently or whatever. I wouldn't want to change anything, just like kind of relive that again.
Speaker 3: I love those memories that I have.
Speaker 4: I feel like I've had such incredible experiences so far that it'd be amazing. I don't know what else I could do to top off some of my experiences.
Speaker 1: That's great. Okay, that's fair. That's a good one. I like that. I like that.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 1: Oh God, I would want to relive the first time I meet your kids. That would be that. That would be that what I would pick? No, I would I would break my own rules and wish for one hundred more wishes. Everybody knows that, So yeah, come on, duh. Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to your time when all the houses are smart, the waves, tsunamis and their exclamation points at the end of movies. Yes we've got another one. It's another week of Magical Rewind, and your wish has been granted. We're covering two thousand and threes fantasy comedy, you wish, and yes, we're back with an exclamation point. A tradition we've celebrated a few times before with dcom's Brink, Bring, Jump In, and let It Shine, all movies we'd enjoy to some degree. I got somesh as the kids say, for my Brink recap, but that's okay. So we're gonna see if we can keep the streak of exclamation points alive. You Wish first aired on January tenth, two thousand and three, and once again it's based on a novel. This time it's Jackie French Callers If I Had a Wish, first released in nineteen ninety one. This is Caller's best selling book and the only one that was turned into a movie. And even though, of course we're seeing some similarities, there is one big glaring difference with You Wish. It was not filmed in Utah. It was not filmed in Canada. It wasn't it wasn't even filmed in the United States. You Wish was filmed in Ready, New Zealand, Sabrina. Did you notice the massive shift here? I mean, I'm nervous if it threw you off not to see the snowy mountaintops of Salt Lake City or the streets that are quite clearly somewhere in Canada.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I thought that.
Speaker 4: The city life looked like it was Toronto. That looks like to me when he was when the two of them. Okay, anyway, all right.
Speaker 1: I noticed several I've noticed several of the actors hiding accents. I was like, why did they cast so many foreigners? And then I realized they're shooting at New Zealand. And then I thought to myself, Wow, they're moving an entire production to New Zealand. That where New Zealand isn't necessary, you know what I mean. It's not like Lord of the Rings, where New Zealand is a character. This could have been shot anywhere.
Speaker 3: What's another movie?
Speaker 4: Uh, johnny Ssunami, the second one that's not called Johnnysunami.
Speaker 1: It's Johnny's back on the board. Isn't it like Johnny back on the board or something?
Speaker 3: Sometimes will I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't just instantly agree with you anymore. I thought, that's what it's called Kapijala back on board. Okay, anyway, that one I think Brandon told us was filmed in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: But that's like, you need exactly this one. You didn't need New Zealand, and it makes you wonder why. Maybe they save money by filming it there, but then you have to fly everybody over there. It was strange. But no, maybe they just like this movie. They couldn't find the coin to flip to find out where to go, so they ended up in New Zealand. See what I brought it right bracket, right round. And in addition to Studio West in west Auckland, New Zealand, they also shot scenes at Takapuna Grammar School. Now, this specific movie genre of a kid making a wish that doesn't come true, is very common. Some noble examples include Big Freaky Friday, which did get a decom version thirteen going on thirty Liar, Liar, and Disney's The Kid, which spoiler alert which will come up later. Are you a fan of this kind of movie? The kid makes a wish, it comes true and he finds out his life isn't exactly what he wished for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'll get on board with it.
Speaker 4: It's not something that you're like, oh, I wonder what's going to happen when he goes to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a little you know, predictable, but I'm on board with it.
Speaker 4: Why not if you can have a wish and wake up and it actually comes true, that'd be crazy.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think it's what. There's a reason why movies like they make fifteen versions of movies like this. It's because it works. You can play within the trope. You know, you've got an outline, mix up how you're going to do it. Am I want to be a kid, I want to be an adult. It's cool. I like it. I do too, It's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, once again the question we always asked, did you know anything about this movie before we started our wonderful podcast?
Speaker 4: Not anything, but I did recognize at least well the three of the main actors in it, so I was kind of right away they came onto the screen and was like, oh cool. So I knew nothing about the movie. I had no idea what it was going to be about, but I definitely recognized the actors from the channel.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Same, I knew nothing of this movie and I recognized two of the actors. But yeah, well, here we go, so get your coin collections out. It's time for the synopsis. After a teenager makes a wish that his annoying little brother would disappear, he wakes up in a world where his brother never existed, but he quickly realizes that life without his family isn't as perfect as it seems. Now before we go any farther, you, of course, can check out You Wish on Disney Plus, where it's currently available to stream. You can watch it now or watch it later. No skin off our back, but that's because we both have a medical condition where we have no skin on our back. It makes decisions like these very easy, but generally it's excruciatingly painful. Sabrina, what were your thoughts on You Wish?
Speaker 4: Like I said, Okay, I see where we're going this, you know, wish type thing. Okay, So I kind of felt like I already knew what to expect throughout the movie, and.
Speaker 3: My early thoughts were just kind of the relationship.
Speaker 4: I was really intrigued on the relationship between the two characters that seemed like they had a love interest, but then not because he was kind of being douchey. You want to go towards the light, cooler cheerleader. So it's kind of like I was interested.
Speaker 3: I guess that's what I say.
Speaker 4: I was really actually interested as it first started happening, and then my interest started to dive a little bit.
Speaker 3: What about you, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Had just started to die a little bit. I didn't get this movie. This was a weird, weird movie. Like again, we've said this now a number of times, where we look at young actors that are good. There was a lot of very strong actors in this cast. I thought the main guy was personal. The little brother plays a great little brother. He's played that in a number of different things. He's very good at that. The love interest she was great. I just didn't get the movie. The movie itself was really weird. Yeah so and and just some of the choices that were made with the script was kind of like this is it was weird and we'll get into it. My first thoughts were huh, and then it went to and then it went to what so all right, yeah that's what I was thinking. But well, just when we thought we were out, they keep pulling us back in. We've returned to our comfort. Director Paul Hoen another Paul Hoan movie. This man directs everything. At this point, our podcast should just be called Hoen, Sweet Hoen. He is the king of the medium. He really is. So Once again, as if we even have to keep saying this. He started his career directing TV shows like Sabrita, The Teenage Witch and the Secret World of Alex Mack, and then just lined up d com after dcom Luck of the Irish True Confessions. I'm just gonna keep quiet while our audience continues the list, Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff, Read it and weep, just for kicks, jump in Cheetah Girls one World, Camp Rock two, Let It Shine, and of course the greatest film of all time, Dad Napped. He is now the man running the successful Zombies franchise, which it's about to get it's fourth movie very soon. I can't wait to do the second one. We hear at Magical rewind our true Hoan Bodies. I was gonna say hoan heads. That sounds weird. We're hoen Natters. There's plenty of ways we're paul ohen Bodies.
Speaker 3: I think we need it. I think we're still work shopping that one.
Speaker 1: Where we're work shopping the name that's fair. That's a fair workshop. You can hear our interview with the master himself right now in the dedicated Magical rewind feed. Really go check it out. The man has been at the helm of Just Banger after Banger and it was a really fun interview. And we'll hopefully get him on. We'd love to have him on for every movie, but then we wouldn't have another guest ever. So yeah, speaking of stars and hopeful guests, the movie stars Aj Trouth as Alex Lansing. Aj is best known as Alan Twitty from the hit Disney show Even Stevens with my old friend Christy Carlson, a role he reprised for the spinoff DCM. Of course, he also appeared on Seventh Heaven Can Possible. I don't know why I did Drakens voice when that's not who I played House and Franklin and Bash and back in two thousand and two, he formed a band with his brothers called Maven, and they can be heard on the Herbie fully Loaded soundtrack. Man, I wish my brother's are musical, even slightly because it would have been cool to have a band with. And of course, Spencer Breslin plays that little brother Stevie. Spencer's first big role was in the Disney movie The Kid Told You It Was Coming Back That alongside with Bruce Willis. But then Spencer would appear in some big movies including Meet the Parents, The Santa Claus two and three, The Cat and the Hat, and The Happening. And he is the brother of actress Abigail Breslin, best known for It Little Miss Sunshine, which was one of my favorite movies ever. It was a great movie. Lelane plays Abby known by just one name like Scherzandia, Oh God, I Love that, Llane or Blippy. Of course. She is best known to our audience as Miranda on Lizzie Maguire and from the movie Easy A. She also had a record deal at Warner Music and played bass in the band Vanity Theft. Everybody that works in the channel is multi talented. It's crazy, and we've got quite the actor in the Dabney Reynolds chair for this movie this week. Tim Reid is Larry Pendragon. Reid is best known from a string of big TV shows, first as Venus fly Trap, a great character, great show, on the TV show WK p Insison, Sorry I had to do the theme song. Then as Downtown Brown and Simon and Simon, then as Ray Campbell on the TGIF hit Sister Sister. You might also recognize him from Stephen King's It That was the TV movie version and that seventy show or another dcom we have recent rely, Well, I guess it wasn't too recent ago was it reviewed? Ali catch Strike where he played the mayor. He has a ton of credits over the years and is still a working actor today. He's a great Hey that guy kind of actor. He's been in everything. Also worth noting, like we see in Canada, there are a lot of great New Zealand local hires in the movie. And that's where you could hear a lot of accents kind of being pulled back a little bit. Yeah, now we get into some unfortunates. The movie is wait for it, AE hundred minutes. Oh tough start there, as that's ten minutes past the bulls eye. And I think we all know by this point the perfect run time is ninety minutes. That is not an opinion, that is fact, people, So ten minutes later a true fact. Truly a nightmare here, but we have to say it. This movie is officially say it with me, Sabrina too low, it's too long. The writing credit is split up once again, starting with the writer of the book, of course, Jackie French Coohler. This is her only TV or movie credit. Then we've got the writing team of Christopher Reid and Cynthia Carl in charge of the screenplay. They are best known for writing the supernatural basketball movie of nineteen ninety seven, The Sixth Man, which they wrote together, but Carl was also an actressho appeared on Family Ties, Benson and The Client Three great shows. All right, everybody, why don't you finish your special pancakes and go save your family. Let's get into you wish. That's how I have to say it, because of course we have an exclamation point. We open with Alex Lansing and his little brother Stevie playing war in the woods. They're carrying super soakers looking for their enemies, which, of course are two of Alex's friends, one being the cute alt girl Abby, the other is James, but Stevie is ant exactly rambo. Alex commands his brother to check the blind spot, but just then they were ambush and blasted with blue slime. They've officially lost the battle, and Alex playfully of course blamed Stevie. Then Bear hugs him. They're trying to show that, hey, you know what great older brother bringing his little brother around everywhere. I was like, oh, okay, they're interesting how they're setting up this relationship. Alex now on rollerblades, which should be of absolutely no surprise to anybody watching. A DCM, says goodbye to his friends. There's some innocent flirting between Abby and Alex. Then James mentions their plan to hit up what do you do? What the kids do? Huh? Do you know what they do? They hit up the coin shop next weekend, like all kids love doing. Let's go shopping for coins, those kids and their coins. Did you have a coin collection? Oh god, here we go, sebraded. Did you have a coin collection?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: You know, okay, I tried so many times.
Speaker 4: It wasn't coins like this like cool different coins.
Speaker 1: Tried to have a coin collection, yes, but then i'd also someone failed to have a coin collection.
Speaker 3: It would just like end up wanting to buy something and I would use them and.
Speaker 1: Can I just you know, if you're just collecting quarters to spend on stuff, well, that's not a coin collection.
Speaker 3: I know, it's a biggie bag.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: No, I would try to get quarters. I would always like look at quarters to see the dates on them.
Speaker 4: I was trying to get like different years and like line them up and whatever. But then like something would come up and I'd need to get something and buy something, and you know, me and my friends would like, haven't We'd like go up to like the Vaughn's and buy something or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a coin collection, that's it's not I would try. That's what I love. Like, I would always try to try, and I would always fail. Like I was never good at that. I'm still not good at that. Guy's still saving Money's not my thing, it's my Luckily, it's my husband's thing.
Speaker 1: So I love. Yeah, I love coin collections I have. I have a very small one, none of them worth anything. It's more like the history of stuff. And fans have sent me. Knew that I loved like ancient Roman stuff, so they'd send me Roman coins. So I've got a couple of cool things. But I can't remember looking at my bros going hey man, this weekend, you me coin shop, Like I think the only.
Speaker 4: Coins I would have is like a collection or when I've travel out of the country and forgot to like put my again.
Speaker 1: Not a collection, that's just you not changing in your coins. And I are gonna start working on the word collection eventually. Alex and Stevie get home and are greeted by their parents. They explain there is a pet adoption at the park and they're thinking about getting a pet. The kids are obviously very excited, going back and forth between a rabbit or a dog. All smiles, and for the first time in a while, the family seems fully functional. There doesn't seem to be any decom trope going on. Both the parents are together, it seems like a close family. You have a little brother friction, but that's totally normal in every family, so it seems like they're setting up. This is a completely normal, functional family. We now find ourselves at the County Park pet day and there are a lot of options, some very strange. It's almost like a farm. There's birds and hamsters and a bounce house. Alex stumbles on a bulldog and runs to his family to have them check it out, but Stevie has already picked a turkey.
Speaker 3: I don't get it turkey. This is when I went, oh no, are we gonna do? Oh no?
Speaker 1: Like it just this started, like, no one picks a turkey, even a little kid's not gonna pick turkey.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, okay, that okay, okay.
Speaker 4: So my cousin lives on a farm. She might pick a turkey. She might pay for parkins. She lives on a farm, she has a chicken coop, Like.
Speaker 3: A rooster is needed to you know what if there's a turkey that they have and she that's what they have for Thanksgiving, Like it's.
Speaker 4: Like that kind of look these kids, these people live in the suburbs, Like there's zero reasons where.
Speaker 3: Is this turkey? Like turkeys don't.
Speaker 4: They don't live in a house, which is what they tried to do. They they have to have like a pen like turkeys are aggressive. Also, by the way, it cannot be trusted.
Speaker 1: And I'm guessing Stevie's gonna cry when they slaughter this thing for dinner exactly, which is what having a pet turkey should be about. And I also Alex gets no say. They're setting up that this kid gets no say in life. Whatoever no say with the pets. The kid is always getting him into trouble. It was starting to be like did you have you had pets growing up? What was your turkey's name growing up?
Speaker 4: I should my turkey's name. No, I didn't have a turkey. I had nothing like that. There's no way my parents would have ever gotten something like that.
Speaker 1: I okay, that's not what did you get what? But did you grow up with pets your whole life? Yes?
Speaker 6: I had?
Speaker 4: Well, yes, I think my first pet was when I was probably six or seven. It was my dog Bandit. We've talked about him, how he used to roam around. He was, you know, the pimp of the neighborhood and the dog. And then I had a little kitt and I got after I did a movie with Angela Lansbury and my character's name was Fritzi and I loved that name, so I named her Fritzy. And then yeah, so then I got when I moved out, I got my first dog, Rocky. I've got another dog, Emily.
Speaker 1: And I probably I thought you were going to say you named your cat Angela Lansbury.
Speaker 4: Which that would have been awesome. I was a junior. I was like in six or seventh grade. I wasn't cool like that to think of.
Speaker 1: Something now that makes it makes sense. My first pet was named Charcoal and he was a Gerbil and he was killed by my second pets, who were cats.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get into don't start with me and charcoals. I don't want to get into it. I can't. I haven't, I haven't put the pain behind me, and that.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, well that gal will never happen Gerbils or hamsters or anything love the sort in the house will not happen with me.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm getting you for Christmas. And you're now back at home and the brothers are getting to know their new pet, and Alex thinks, of course it's the grossest thing he's ever seen, because it is, and so do the high school athlete jocks who happen to stroll by. They're wearing their lettermon jackets, which is how we know we hate them. They're a bunch of douche I mean like they're just the douche team. They're holding a giant pizza and they're led by a jerk named Gary Gary shout out to my older brother Gary. But anyway, the jocks who uh are Alex's football teammates apparently, so it's not like he's the total lame. Oh he's also on the team. Ridicule him about the turkey, as I would too, And I don't like to bully people, and I still would ridicule you about your pet turkey. Stevie decides to not only stand up for his animal, but for his brother too, which of course infuriates the jocks. Alex sends Stevie back into the house just in time to miss Gary dump a full pizza. The pizza they're carrying on his big brother's head, all in front of the turkey, who's obviously judging them, but who weighs a perfectly good pizza that you've obviously gone out.
Speaker 3: To get thoughts exactly.
Speaker 1: I like, now do you all have to turn around and go buy Like, hey, thanks Gary, we're all starving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they had multiple pizzas, maybe that would have made me feel better.
Speaker 1: They just something taking a slice and smack it in his face. But you just ruined your whole pizza. Gary.
Speaker 3: It's like the weirdest way to like bully somebody. Somebody is strange.
Speaker 1: I also thought about a hot to cheese and the and the sauce would have bit on his head and he could have burned his face.
Speaker 3: This was weird to me, and it was just rude around.
Speaker 1: This is where the weirdness started. Yeah, we find out, of course, this is not the first time Stevie has gotten Alex in trouble. We see home videos of their childhood where Stevie barfed up milk on his brother as a baby knocked over his blocks. On Christmas Day, Stevie always takes center stage and he feels like he's wrecking Alex's life. And this turkey seems to be farting a lot. Again. We're doing farting animals in this episode. Is the last straw? This is what two movies in a row with farting animals. Okay, can we do a quick early two thousands hunk check on the guy who plays Alex Sabrina. He is a cute kid, right, Yeah, he was cute. Is this somebody you would have had a poster of on your wall back in the day? No, No, not your type. We're gonna find your type. We're gonna go through to feel.
Speaker 3: Like Disney didn't have my type, like I mean.
Speaker 1: I We're gonna find it. We're in this together, all right. Later that night, Alex is eating guacamole with his parents when he realizes his brother has been upstairs for a little too long, so he knows something's wrong, and of course he was right. It's TV is playing with Alex's coin collection one of the three things he's told him never to touch. The other two things fi are his skates and his bike. What what were you gonna say? Uh?
Speaker 3: This is it's happening in my house right now with with Monroe and Ledger. This is like I was just da no, not that.
Speaker 4: But it's like Monroe is at an age where she knows to pick up her room and do things like that, you know, pick up toys and stuff.
Speaker 3: And then Ledger comes in and just bulldozes everything.
Speaker 4: And then I'm not gonna ask him to do it because he's not gonna pick it up.
Speaker 3: He's just gonna throw it.
Speaker 4: Even more so she gets kind of in trouble a little bit and she's like, Ledger did that. I'm like, I don't care, you need to pick up the toys. And then Monroe just did it.
Speaker 3: Last week it was quiet, and she went, where's Ledger? And I went, I don't know. I I think he's in the He's in the cave. And she goes in.
Speaker 4: She goes oar and he had gotten in her makeup and he put it all over her and he like he like doesn't like do it nicely.
Speaker 3: He like gets the gel stuff out. He ruined it. And I was cracking up during this part, going, oh my gosh, I have.
Speaker 1: A question about Monroe. So if she cleans up her whole room and then Ledger comes in and wrecks something, she gets in trouble and has to clean it up again.
Speaker 4: Well, to be fair, I don't know that she was playing in the room with Ledger, so he might be making it more of a mess.
Speaker 1: But she's got there with them all right, fair enough, because I was gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, and I'm sure he does make it like messier, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, she's kind of probably playing nicely with what she picked out to play, and he's taking everything and justus, you know whatever. Anyway, it just was funny. This part of I was like, oh my gosh, I feel so bad.
Speaker 1: It seems very real. Alex is, of course furious. His room is his room and his stuff is his stuff. Stevie responds by yelling for his dad, screaming that Alex is hurting him. Then a little turns out to be a liar too, because that never happened. Yeah, that's not cool, yikes, But that's such a little brother thing to do. Hi, youngest in the family, I know what I'm talking about. In turn, their dad punishes Alex despite his oldest son swearing he didn't do anything, which of course he didn't. Alex also bars Stevie from his room for two weeks. Now. Despite the declaration, Stevie still tries to sneak into his brother's room, but Alex catches him. What is he doing? He's been banned for two weeks? But of course Alex's heart melts a little bit and he gives up, inviting Stevie in to watch a black and white horror movie together and play fight. He's a really good big brother, right, it's super coat yep. The next day, it's breakfast into Alex's dad warns him he may be a little late for today's game. Alex says, don't worry, it doesn't matter. He only warms up the bench anyway, and he hates when Stevie cheers for him at the game, so please don't cheer for him. Alex's parents do wish they could send him a football camp, but they can't afford it. Okay, I'm now back to thinking it's a weird relationship. I mean, he can't root on his brother at the game. Stevie seems awful, but also this is really messed up. This is where everything just got kind of muddled, where it was like, wait, what is It's like, don't be in my room. I get, but don't don't cheer for me at the game, or I'm gonna yell at you. I didn't. I didn't get.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's like he see it seems like and we don't know up to this point, but that he puts on like big spectacles or he like he's embarrassing about it.
Speaker 3: He's not yeah, he's not just like saying yeah, yeah or anything like that. It's like he's like embarrassing.
Speaker 4: And it's always like very upfront and in front of everyone, and it's big and loud.
Speaker 1: What I get it?
Speaker 3: What weirded me? And I can't believe you didn't say it?
Speaker 4: Why are they acting like they don't have any money when they live in a really nice house. We're back to that Disney trope of like, oh, we're so poor except for our kids' bedrooms are the size that.
Speaker 1: Some people's apart. It's true. I wonder though, to find better sets.
Speaker 3: If they're gonna keep going on this football camp expensive.
Speaker 1: Maybe football camp is really expensive. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't I wouldn't know. I don't know, but I wouldn't think.
Speaker 4: And the whole they say it again because it comes out back later, is like they're acting like they're poor because they have a second child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which again you probably have left. But it's not like that kids in college right now, no, right, this.
Speaker 3: Is yeah, so yeah, So it just was a little like.
Speaker 1: Okay, yep, I get it. Upstairs, Alex makes Stevie swear he won't cheer his name, but oh no, Alex notices something Stevie's wearing his roller blades, one of the three things he said do not touch. And angry, Alex tackles his little brother and tugs his skates off his feet, only to notice he got jelly on him. So to make him pay, Alex chases his brother downstairs, only to be reprimanded by his mom. Once again, Stevie gets away with everything, and now Alex has been forced to babysit him for the next weekend. The same week and he's supposed to hang out with his friends to go to the coin shop coin hangout Saturday, Mom. His mom suggests he takes Stevie along, and all Alex can do is just shake his head, and it does seem like this kid gets away with murder and Alex can't do anything about it. To let off some Steve, Alex goes rollerblading with his frosted Tip friend James and complains about how his ten year old brother rules the house. James reminds him Alex does care about Stevie, but Alex isn't hearing it right now. And I thought this was a fun scene where he's like, you really care about your brother's dude, I'm trying to bash my brother right now. He's like, no, you're right. I'm sorry, give me a second. Let me have a second. And he's like, you're right, you're right now. We are back at Harbor High's football game. Alex indeed is riding the bench but catches the eye of Fiona, a beautiful cheerleader. She approaches him and it feels like she's about to go flirt, but instead points out that Stevie has handed out go. Alex goes signs and is yelling into a bullhorn. She calls it so embarrassing for a bench warmer and laughs at him, and then Alex gets called into the game, the only person on the entire team with a bright white uniform. He looks nervous, and on his way out of the field, he accidentally pushes Fiona into the mud. Good deserved it.
Speaker 3: Smooth, kind of happy about it. But I was probably not the best thing for you, Alex.
Speaker 1: No, but she went out of her way to make fun of him. You belong in the mud, daddie. We are now in the field. Alex takes a spot in the offensive line, and just as the ball is hiked, Alex gets absolutely crushed and the quarterback gets sacked. The crowd goes silent as Alex is just laying on the ground. It's possible he's dead. Back at school, Abby is trying to console Alex about the game, but he's distracted when Fiona, now no longer covered in mud, drops paper in the hallway. He rushes over to get it for her and apologizes for the accident, but as a result, she totally insults him and walks away. Abby sees it all and does what you always do. Itmits out loud to yourself. Sometimes you like someone and they don't even know you're alive. Didn't really need that spelled out. We could have just had it doing that, but hey, I know it's a kid's movie, but it was like, why are you saying this out? She should have just looked at the camera and be like, I really like Alex, but he doesn't like me. So it's like, yeah, we get it. Now. We are at lunch with Abby and James. Alex thinks Jock Gary has the best life ever. He's all city in every sport, he dates Fiona and he doesn't even have a pest for a little brother. Abby invites him to skate with her on Saturday, but he already has those awesome coin World plans and for this bunch of coin collectors listening now, like, why do you keep on us? We're just trying to collect coins, not hurting anybody here. What's your problem? And you're right, and I apologize. It's a double eagle for.
Speaker 4: All of you.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that later too. And when she asked about after Awesome coin World, he says he has to clean the turkey coop. Uh huh, so he just doesn't want to hang out with her. She gets the hint and she leaves, which doesn't make any sense because She's adorable, an escape girl and super cool, and it's like, how do you not want to hang out with her? But you're also an idiot when you're in I look back at the girls I had a crush on in middle school and high school, and it was always the popular girls, and I look back now and go like, man, that art girl, she would have been the one. You want to hang out with her that you know, those are the cool ones. So anyway, it is now the weekend. Alex and James are in an elevator at the very very Neon mall. Alex has maybe a dozen bags of French fries and five dollars worth of quarters for Stevie to stay busy, and I was like, what are they doing with all of these French fries? So they're just giving them to the kid, like forty bags of French fry.
Speaker 3: I know it was a lot.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is like an easy thing if you're taking a kid anywhere is just keep them loaded with food.
Speaker 1: Right, But why you can't throw a burger in there or something else. It's just gotta be friends.
Speaker 3: I don't know, not sure.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's it, Maybe that's it. Meanwhile, Stevie is waiting for his brother on a bench when he spots a man wearing a beret in a winter coat, carrying and struggling with a ton of boxes. Eventually, this man is accidentally pushed into a store, dropping everything onto the floor. Stevie jumps up to help without even thinking, which is very nice, and the man appreciates the good deed. Alex and James arrive and they know this dude, this is Larry from coin World. Obviously, Larry praises Stevie and invites them into his shop to see his new shipment of Romans. Did you know what Romans were at the time?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I like, I like Roman stuff, so I kind of knew what Roman coins are. That's just Roman coins. Yeah, it's coins with different because you know, every emperor would like have their face stamped on it. So it was like, oh, here's a Julius Caesar, here's an Augustus Caesar. I mean there's some that are more rare than It's like if an emperor was only emperor for a year or two, it's like being able to find his coin is there's some cool stuff. I I also didn't have just getting the dates. No, that's why I didn't have that what is the word? Friends? But before they dive into their new coins, Alex places Stevie back of the bench and tells him to eat his fries and not to move. He promises they'll go to the arcade soon and leaves him with some quarters to prove it. But Larry isn't done with Stevie. He gives the boy a very special coin he's heard it's good for one wish, and warns him to be careful, but to do something big with it. A little later, Now done with all the fries and surrounded by empty fry bags, Stevie's board. Obviously he's ten and he's been sitting on this bench for god knows how long. He ignores his brother's instructions and disappears off the bench, running straight to the arcade. Inside, he quickly loses a pinball and searches his pockets for another quarter, eventually rediscovering Larry's supposed wish coin. He's about to put it in the machine, but then remembers he has to do something big with it. Meanwhile, back at the coin shop, Larry's getting ready to close. It's already six pm, and you know what they say, time flies when you're looking at coins. So he opens the store and closes the store. So they have been standing at that bench looking at coins for like eight hours.
Speaker 3: Expecting Stevie to sit to just sit there.
Speaker 1: Not Stevie's fault. No, who looks at coins for eight straight out?
Speaker 3: I mean there are definitely other things in the store.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they weren't sitting there. Do work in the accordion like the other guy. They're all about the coin. It was just it was like, wow, we've been here the whole time.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, it's a long nay.
Speaker 1: Alex still can't He can't believe that he's been in there that long. Neither can we. It's been way too long. He turns to find his brother, and of course Stevie is gone. Nobody could sit there for eight hours. He ditches James at coin World and sprints to the arcade, but Stevie isn't there. It is officially time to freak out. Actually, though Stevie is roaming them all in off trying to find his brother. He notices that coin World is closed too, so he asks them all security guard if he'll call his mom. And now Alex is definitely in massive trouble. We are now back at their house. The brothers are reunited, but Alex has been grounded for a month, which means no more coin World or rollerblades or whatever kids do. Both brothers are sent off to bed, and Alex believes his little brother has ruined his life. In all fairness, you left your brother to them all and the kid freaked out kind of your fall. In his bedroom, Alex is still stewing when an envelope is delivered under the door. It's a sorry note from Stevie and it includes the wish coin. It's engraved with an owl and reads one Wish in Latin, so apparently Alex knows Latin, which again, if you are big in Romans you might know. He doesn't believe it has powers, but still wishes he didn't have a little brother and goes to sleep. We see the coin spin and spin and spin, and eventually it comes to a stop. The next morning, Alex is awoken by an alarm clock, something he's never had to do before, but assumes it's part of his new grounding. And then slimy drool falls onto his face. It's a bulldog hovering over him. Wait a second, what dog? Is this also worth noting the dog farts, which now has become a trope. Suddenly we hadn't. We'd gone twenty five thirty movies, fifty movies without seeing that. Now of a sudden we've seen two or three in a row where this is a thing. Hopefully it won't be a thing that sticks around. He surveys the room and notices player of the Year trophies and celebratory football photos that he's never seen before. Also, his coin collection includes double eagles. Double eagles not double These are actually look them up. Can be very expensive, really yeah, very expensive sometimes I think like thousands of dollars. By the way, bashing the out of coin collecting the entire time, it seems like I know a lot more about it than I thought I actually did. For the record, here I am trying to throw everybody off the set, But I actually love coins, I really do you know what? I also have. I have Harry Potter coins behind me in the other room. I have the galleon and all the other stuff. Not going to get into that. Oh, I married a woman and I have a wife. I'm also okay good. Alex runs through a now blue hallway. Everything looks different. They have a game room with a pinball machine, air hockey, a big screen TV, and a drum set in the kitchen. His dad is wearing a very sharp suit reading the Wall Street Journal. His mom is also in a business casual look, and everything in the house just looks more expensive. So now they're ripped. Yep, apparently okay. Alex tells his parents he's onto them. He assumes this is a prank and it was Stevie's idea, very elaborate prank. They have no idea what he's talking about and don't know who Stevie is. His dad leaves, promising he'll see Alex at the game. So what's going on? Whose dog is this? Why is his coin collection? All of a sudden so cool? Alex even has a totally different haircut. His parents are concerned with their son's behavior. They think he might be sick. Alex runs upstairs. We get a glimpse of the family picture. It's now just two parents and just one kid, just Alex. Alex storms into what was his brother's room, it's now a home gym. He swears he had a little brother, but his mom wonders if he's just lonely is he wishing he had a brother? And then hearing the word wish, Alex figures it out. It was the wish coin. He's living his wish and the coin is now nowhere to be found. Now, okay, stick with me here, because this is where it goes. Poo in the house. The TV is playing a newscast where the reporter is about to interview the star of a new TV show called Where's Stevie? The young actor's name is Terrence Russell McCormick. And who is Terrence? Well, it's Stevie at least it's the Stevie we knew, but now being called Terrence and he's a big celebrity. And that's when I said, what the is going on?
Speaker 4: I heard you all the way from La say what.
Speaker 1: Say what? Serena? I can't remember what I said? What was it?
Speaker 3: Again? I'm like, oh god, we've lost somebody.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, did were you trip at this point?
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 3: Already said what's happening?
Speaker 4: Like right, I can't even remember. I'm looking at my notes and I still can't remember what. But it's in my notes twice, and I'm like, I wish I would have said, given like a little note of what I meant.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what is happening?
Speaker 3: Bit later, what's happened?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's just it's at this point I'm going, wait.
Speaker 3: What so now he's and so yeah, so.
Speaker 1: He's he's a famous actor.
Speaker 3: To not take him out of this story completely, to keep him in. He's just living a different.
Speaker 1: Life, right that he loved.
Speaker 3: And they had already remembered.
Speaker 4: They did mention something about him acting earlier on.
Speaker 1: Right, But I mean, I also get the idea. I get the basic premise of you. They're trying to show that, Okay, Alex isn't going to care that his little brother's gone, because actually, in this new world, his little brother is living.
Speaker 3: This amazing he always wanted.
Speaker 1: Right, So I get doing that as opposed to just disappearing the character. But it was just so nutty that it was kind of it was very, very strange. So Alex, by the way, who now has the nickname Bling as in Bling Bling, watches his mom and dad leave for work, and Alex realizes his little brother, like I just said, is living the life. He's a TV star. So maybe the wish wasn't so bad after all, especially because he's now stoked that he is an only child, Alex or Bling. No, I can't do it, Alex, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't understand bling at all, at all.
Speaker 1: No, I just to show that he is so cool in this new world. But dad calls it. Why is dad that weird? Like weird?
Speaker 3: You know, yes, weird.
Speaker 1: So Alex Or Blaying drives to school in his dad's viper, which, again, when you've got three people in a family and is their only two seater car, is really stupid. But he's very, very popular. He's It's like, hey, I gotta go now, pick up your mom and bring her back to work. We have two seats. He's wearing one of those purple letterman jackets, and the girls love him. He eventually passes Fiona, the hot cheerleader that a push in the mud before, and she grabs and kisses him on the cheek. What she is his girlfriend and Gary is his best friend? Blinge quickly goes with the new situation. No, I can't, I'm sorry. Alex quickly goes to the new situation and learns he's throwing a party at his house after tonight's game. Alex just can't take it. He sneaks into the bathroom to give himself a pep talk and finds the courage to go to class. He sits next to Abby, who looks very surprised. Fiona calls out to him, that's not his seat, and he says he just wanted to say hi to Abby, which confuses everyone, including her. He's just too popular to be talking to her anymore. Even the teacher asks Alex to take his assigned seat, which is right next to Fiona. Okay again, I'm gonna need to stay with me here. He then does a full on flip and performs splits to land in the care eliciting applause from the class. And this never happens again. No, it never comes up again. It doesn't happen on the football field. He has superhuman powers for this one moment.
Speaker 3: Literally fifteen seconds, don't.
Speaker 1: Blink, and then never happen.
Speaker 2: What did you think of this? Well?
Speaker 3: I thought it looked great. I actually thought it looked pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I looked fun, but what the hell?
Speaker 3: But another time that I'm like, wait, what is this? What is this like? Okay, I guess it's just showing he's like super athletic.
Speaker 1: But right, yeah, which I thought they'd seen.
Speaker 4: Him I thought he'd be doing tumbling tricks like all that was like his like little thing, like I'm blaming here I.
Speaker 3: Go with my little glitter. But no, we don't see it ever again, ever again.
Speaker 1: It was so never happened again, never even an inkling of it happening again. The teacher passes out some test grades. Alex gets a B plus. He's proud, but Abby quickly calls out that king Bling got that grade only because he's an athlete, and even the teacher comes up and goes, hey, great game last weekend, so he kind of did well. Now we are at that game. It is game time. In the locker room, coach is going over the game plan. All offense runs through Alex, who he finds out is the quarterback. Oh boy, we are now in the field. His parents and cheerleading Fiona watch on as a very frightened Alex is literally picked up and driven back ten yards for a sack. The crowd is shocked. His dad thinks something is wrong, makes his way to the field and Alex is carried off. So his dad comes up to him and says, son, don't let those big guys psych you out, and he mentions football camp which really surprises Alex. Oh, that's right. They can afford camp now because he's an only child, so without his brother, he's rich. Okay, Coach sends Alex back into the game. Now he's got a little more pep inist step. He's completing passes, rushing for first downs, not flipping over anybody, not twisting like he could do, not doing any of those superhuman things. Eventually scoring the winning touchdown. The crowd goes wild, and Alex is opped up on his teammate's shoulders and carried off the field. That night, Alex's house party is going off. All the popular kids are there and some girls are checking out the newest issue of Women's Quarterly.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: To his surprise, his brother Stevie, now Terrence, the biggest TV star in the world, is on its cover. So Women's Quarterly.
Speaker 3: Is highlighting a six year old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a ten year old television star is on the cover of Women's Quarterly. They couldn't have made it TV Guide.
Speaker 3: That was just such a weird pick.
Speaker 1: And I feel like, there, well, this is where just everything's off the rails at this point. Yeah, it was just like, what's happening?
Speaker 4: It was there was a line somewhere because this little magazine comes up again, there was a line somewhere.
Speaker 3: Where he tries to.
Speaker 4: Like it was part of his the reason why he was looking at it or something like there was a line that that that they said that tried to make it make sense why it was a wig.
Speaker 3: Explain there was a women's magazine.
Speaker 1: Well, he just said it was my mom's. I think he's in My mom like that. She's a big Terence fan. But it's like you, why would your mom be a big fan of a ten year old? Right, which he says later too, is like, my mom's a big fan, like real, it's really strange. Yeah wow yeah. So Alex can only shake his head at what used to be his little brother. He is pulled away by Fiona, who wants to know why he seems so different at the start of the football game. He casually says it's because he's from an alternate reality, but she doesn't take him seriously. He sees Abby arrive with another dude and ask Fiona if she wants to rollerblade tomorrow. She says no way, Really, blading is for freaks, and tomorrow they're supposed to be taking pictures in their matching t shirts. Well, okay, so that's interesting. Obviously Alex knows nothing about this because this is his first day in this reality, but his attention is diverted when a fellow jock announces that the Chicken Geek is there. The party is chanting Chicken Boy and wrestling with someone dressed as a chicken delivering food. They take off his helmet and it's his friend from his other reality, James. Alexis instructed to drop a pizza on James's head. They're going to waste another pie on this guy and announce I can't okay. Alex doesn't know what to do, so one of the other jerks gets impatient and does it himself, forcing James to run out of the house and back into his delivery bike. Alex tries to stop him but can't catch up. So did somebody else deliver a pizza that they had? The full pizza? But they also had the Chicken Guy.
Speaker 3: I was confused because when we do see him later, I'm thinking, why does he Why is he have a chicken costume? He's called Chicken Boy, but he delivers pizzas I didn't. I didn't pick up on that. It was like a chicken a chicken place. I don't know. It was weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I rewound the whole movie to figure that out. Okay, this place must serve pizza and chicken, because later when he delivers to food to Terrence, he has chicken, so he's still chicken geek. But I assume this chicken place also has pizza, which I guess some do.
Speaker 1: I so did he then have the pizza delivered right to the party just to then dump it on whoever delivered it to the cheek? It seemed like, yeah, but it's chicken geek delivering the pizza, right.
Speaker 6: They know chicken geek from dropping a pizza earlier in the other realities, So like, this must be something he does a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is the why order the pizza, throw something else at him and save the money. I don't get it. I don't get it. The next day, we're at the school library. Alex does try to apologize to James, but his old friend is just not interested. Also, Fiona is now jealous that Alex has even talked to Abby at all, and that her boyfriend is coming off as a real loser. Now I could be wrong. Did she misspell losers? Thank God I was right.
Speaker 3: She missed says anything about it? So I thought on my phone and typed it out just to make sure I knew how to sell it.
Speaker 1: She does a doubles, doesn't she?
Speaker 4: No one blinks an eye about it, no one, but no one says, okay.
Speaker 1: I didn't tell that was a joke or nobody picked up the fact that she missed. I'm so clad like.
Speaker 3: A missed like joke. I think it was supposed to be a joke and like, but someone needed to react to the fact that she has built it and nobody did. So I literally was like.
Speaker 1: Wait, I thought he was going to say like loss ers.
Speaker 3: Wait she did add an okay, God.
Speaker 1: That you picked that up too, because she added that, because oh man, that was a missed opportunity for a joke. I was like, what are they doing? Very Oh god? That was fun? Okay. At lunch, Alex is still trying and he goes to sit with Abby again. Who it's a prank? Why would the star quarterback want to sit with her? So if she does what everybody does and she pours milk on his head and leaves a lot of food on heads back at home, Alex's dad notices his son is back into coin collecting something he abandoned years ago. He also notices his son has the Woman's Quarterly with Steve slash Terrence on the cover. This makes him even more suspicious of his recent behavior, but Alex just wants to sleep. I guess catching your teenage son with Women's Quarterly can mean a number one.
Speaker 2: I think it's will.
Speaker 1: Is that what it's supposed to be?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I went to the dark side.
Speaker 4: I went to the What are you doing with that women's magazine?
Speaker 2: Woman's Courtly? I guess that's that's also a take.
Speaker 3: Neither one makes sense for the Disney Channel, am I right?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: This is kind of well, that's what I meant that the one you're thinking of, Sabrina. I think you're thinking of it rhymes with master right, right right?
Speaker 6: I mean I don't want to show our hand here, but it rhymes with jerking off right?
Speaker 1: Correct? Is that what you is? That what you thought it was? Sabrina?
Speaker 2: So wait, so wait, I have a question.
Speaker 1: I guessing by the red that that's wait, I have a question.
Speaker 2: Will that will?
Speaker 6: So we see gay panic a lot on our Podny's World show, like it's very common. But on D comms, wouldn't this reaction sort of happened in this movie about a football player if he wanted to do ballet, wouldn't we also get the gay panic there?
Speaker 1: Yes, I would think that I did.
Speaker 6: This is a poorly executed gay panic lot gay where ballet is turned it with women's quarterly.
Speaker 3: Well he does that, there's I put it in my Sabrina not a Sabrina seas.
Speaker 4: But there was like a moment that I went, oh, the football player when he said he was trying out for the musical or er show or whatever.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, we got a little bit of a high high school, little high but that didn't seem like it had the same situation.
Speaker 1: No, no, they didn't. They didn't go gay panic.
Speaker 3: It was just like you're talking to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is so what did you think he was doing? Spreno.
Speaker 3: Remember, I don't know. I kind of skip past this part.
Speaker 2: Maybe he was choking. Maybe he was choking the chicken beet.
Speaker 1: Or the door choking the pet turkey.
Speaker 4: She guys, okay.
Speaker 1: The next she's like okay. The next day at school, we got I love how I just want to see the shades of red that we can. We could get some. The next day at school, we get a montage and you know, I love a montage, and everyone is still celebrating blame well through up my mouth. But Abby is with another guy and James won't even acknowledge him. We see Alex and Fiona at the mall wearing those matching shirts, and Alex looks very aggravated. H He also runs into Abby, who's busy selling Raffle tickets to feed the homeless. And alternate reality, Larry is there buying a few of the tickets, but he's now in a wheelchair because he fell outside of his store. Obviously he would have fallen had in the first reality, you would have fallen head step not been there, so Stevie wasn't there, so he did fall down, but decided to then close down the entire store to retire, which technically was also his wish, so that's a good thing it was. I couldn't tell if he made a wish for that, but anyway, Larry apparently wanted to get out of the cutthroat coin collecting business. Alex buys three raffle tickets and asks Abby to skate with him. One day. She thinks he's lost a bet or something. He asked, if is that really my reputation, then why is she even talking to him in the first place. The answer is obvious that he's buying raffle tickets from her, but she says she doesn't know. Gary and the jocks arrived, chanting about their upcoming game and punching wrapped hamburgers, not kidding, they're just punching hamburgers over and over again like jogs do. The next morning, his parents are off to work again. Alex doesn't get it. It's Saturday. Isn't it supposed to be a pancake day? But his dad kind of smiles and says he hasn't made pancakes like that in years. They rush out the door, but he says he'll see him at eight pm for his athletic award dinner. He realizes he doesn't have the dedicated in love parents that he used to have. Alex is wasting time until the ceremony, watching old horror movies and smiling. He misses Stevie. He even made a Stevie doll, which I also thought was a little creepy. He goes into the home gym, remembering this is where his little brother should be. We get some sad music and he eventually finds a box of giveaway at HIMS for Charity that his mom wanted him to bring to school. But as he's bringing the box downstairs, he trips on a football cleat that the dog's been chewing on and falls down a flight of stairs. Alex lays on his back covered in stuff. This scene doesn't make any sense with the movie. It's another one that has nothing to do with anything. Just there's a bunch of unexplained scenes in this movie. Why couldn't you have just looked at the box and say, oh, man, he really wanted to There was no point in him falling down the stairs or any of that stuff. He's just that's it. That night, at the Harbor High Youth Awards, which is packed with people including all of our main characters, Alex wins the big final award of the night, and in his speech he says he doesn't deserve this award because he's not the real Alex Lancing. This isn't now Lex Lancing from another reality, and that catches the interest of Abby, who as she's sitting there. She drove herself there, went to the entire award show, but then is reading a book the entire time about UFO conspiracy. During all the speeches, everyone is confused. He says his Alex Lancing, is a loser. He can't play football. He explains that he made his little brother disappear, and now the audience thinks he's on bath Stalz, but he quickly covers that up by pretending he was just joking, and the crowd is once again at ease. But he explains that there's more to life than just winning awards. You have to appreciate what you have because one day it might not be there. The crowd feverishly applauds, but still looks a little disturbed. Now, once the Lancing's get home, they notice now that Alex still seems down. His mom offers him a pop up waffle, but he just wants his life back and that's an ego, right. They just can't say, I go, it's a pop up waffle, gotcha upstairs? I didn't know if that was a New Zealand waffle. It's like a pop up waff. I'm not going to attempt at New zeale on that side. Upstairs, he paces trying to figure out a way to fix this when he notices a newspaper headline, TV star Terrence Russell McCormick, also known as his little brother Stevie, is coming to town to film a TV show Stevie is filming on the TV. Maybe that's the way to fix this. How I have not made that rhyme to this point, I don't know. We're thirty eight minutes into this, whatever it is Stevie and TV. So Alex travels to the Big City and hides in an alleyway garbage can, preparing to dart for an unmanned stage entrance door, but then boom, he's hit by a bike. It is Chicken James again with another food delivery. They tumble the floor before Alex admits he's just there to get Terrence's autograph. Coincidentally, James says the chicken order is for Terrence, but he has no idea who the actor is, so Alex pays him to change places to deliver the food so he can meet Terrence. It's also worth noting James just leaves his bike in the alleyway, saying I need my bike in the outfit back. By eight o'clock tonight, we are now inside the studio. Alex sneaks around until he eventually gets to Terrence's dressing room. He overhears the actor complaining about his brother, the reason his entire reality was altered. So this is Alex's big chance. He thinks maybe he's talking about him, but when he barges in, he realizes the actor is just reading a script. Terrence starts complaining about the special sauce and throws the chicken out immediately, which fact they I don't blame it for since the chicken was on the ground after the bike.
Speaker 2: And I need to ask a question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he in this reality is in a movie about the thing that happened to him in the other reality.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, because his show is called Where Steve.
Speaker 2: The entire show is based on the other reality.
Speaker 1: Correct, So I think that's what they were going for.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Where's Where's Stevie? After all? Right?
Speaker 6: But I mean the family obviously knows what where Stevie's about, because she's a big fan and has him on the cover of Woman's Quarterly. So as soon as he starts to say this situation wouldn't She then say, like the show, where's Stevie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, her maybe acknowledgement of the show makes it very, very confusing.
Speaker 1: That's what the I mean, this whole thing is confusing. I still don't get what they were.
Speaker 6: Going on, Yes, so much. At some point, I I really do wish Stanos would have snap his fingers.
Speaker 1: I do as well. But at the same time it also made me wish for I could just call a chicken guy and there's chicken or pizza or pizza or pizza in your way. That's not the same. I want the guy in the chicken out. Yeah. So anyway, here, Terrence doesn't recognize his brother, and we're quickly realizing this version of Stevie is a little ahole. Alex is about to leave, but Terrence invites him back to watch Bad Magic Tricks. Alex asks if he likes his family, and he says, of course, but he never really sees them, just his wrangler, who then barges in to tell her boss he's not smiling enough and to prep for playing a normal, ordinary kid. But once she's gone, he admits he has no idea how he's going to be a normal kid. Alex then invites Terrence to stop by his house before he goes back to La and tell him all the nice things that they used to do together. And just when he thinks it's sinking in, Terrence screams for security, which makes sense, one of the few things that makes sense. Alex is then kicked out of the building. Now with the knowledge that Stevie's life isn't as happy as he thought, he finds himself just walking through downtown by himself, which also means he left his friend's bike in the alley, not gonna return that this poor chicken guy. He has visions of his childhood home movies and the past scenes from the movie. While Vanessa Carlton's A Thousand Miles plays. Great song, big fan of Vanessa Carlton. It's the weirdest song to have here. It's like about love interests.
Speaker 3: And it belongs to a different.
Speaker 1: Movie, totally different movie.
Speaker 3: Isn't that in White Chicks?
Speaker 1: Is it? I don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 1: But it's about he's like he can't find his It's about I'd walk a thousand miles to see my love interest again. Yes, it's what Terry crew sings. Apparently according to producer Lisa, but it's now about his brother. It's a good song, but it was just so out of place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and by the way, this is one of my spirit sees. This at this point had been like one of the work. We could put it on the life of one of the worst soundtracks of a d D com because the music was kind of just garbage up to this and then all of a sudden, you're kidding me, We've got this great banger, which is like one of the songs that was just like a top forty hit for weeks and weeks and weeks.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, this is all they spent their money. They couldn't any other song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just like, it just hits you out of absolutely nowhere.
Speaker 1: It does, and it's just it's just weird. It's a weird song. And anyway, Alex eventually spots a turkey being loaded into a truck and chases after it, just missing out as it pulls away. Another completely unexplained scene. What was he going to do with the turkey? Then the chikay moving on. Terrence's work for the day is done and he is in a limo driving back to his hotel when he sees Alex walking home. Terrence has the car pull over and now, without any explanation, wants to hang out with the guy he recently just called a lunatic and had security call out. Right now they're friends. They walk together with the limo find close behind, but Alex crafts a plan to ditch it. They split through the city, eventually shaking limo driver Ron and getting some time alone. Poor Ron, just trying to do his job. That guy was fired. Terrence gets recognized a few times, but wants to do some ordinary kid stuff like ride a little spaceship outside of a store. Alex lets him borrow a quarter and sees the coin, and that makes him realize in this reality, Stevie never got the wish coin, so it's probably still with Larry, and so even though Stevie has no idea what Alex is talking about, they rush to find Larry. Once at the mall, Alex sees that Larry's Coin World is out of business. Now we know this because it's in huge giant letters on the window. This was his big chance, So what is he going to do now? He scans them all, eventually spotting a movie theater usher taking tickets and that reminds him. Wait, raffle tickets. Abby sold Larry some raffle tickets. Alex and Steve Slash Terrence continue to run through the streets of New Zealand, getting in and getting in their steps for the day, certainly now ending up at Abby's front door. She obviously isn't thrilled to see them and is hardly impressed by the celebrity accompaniment. Aleck says that his speech at the awards ceremony was true and he needs her help, but she doesn't believe that they would be best friends in any world. But Stevie is starting to listen, and eventually Abby caves and says it's time to get busy. They search through the hundreds of raffle tickets trying to find Larry's entry while Abby quizzes him on her life, like Okay, what's my favorite food? And it turns out to be a mustard and sugar sandwich A sorry, choking back some bile. Eventually Terrence Slash Stevie finds it. Wait, this is it, This is it's Larry. They have his address now ready to go find him. They decide to disguise Terrence so he isn't as recognizable, which ends up being just a hat that they put him in great disguise. Kids, here's a hat, although in all fairness, Danielle Fischl puts on a hat and everybody still recognizes her everywhere she goes. Once at Larry's building, they climb most are going, Hey, Danielle, let's tipang a cute hat. Once at Larry's building they climbed flights and flights of stairs to his door. How much exercise they actually getting in today? This is a thirty thousand step, but it is empty and being painted. A neighbor tells them that he just moved. The stairs were too much, no people, he was in a wheelchair. Luckily, though the neighbors know that he moved to a place on Beeler Street. It was a retirement home, so the adventure isn't quite over yet. They take a trolley to Beeler and Terrence loves feeling so pedestrian. He's playing with the knobs on the thing and just enjoying being a regular person. Also, Abby and Alex are starting to really connect, which is nice. He admits that the closest thing he had to a girlfriend in his world was her, and it made me go, why can't the movie have just been these two connecting? It's like, that's what I want to see. This was cute and fun and they were great. Why can't this be the movie?
Speaker 2: Yees, he's got to go.
Speaker 1: Back and make her fall in love with them again in his new world. Let's do that. Now. It's nighttime and they arrive at the Sunnyville Retirement manor. They sneak in and appears empty and kind of creepy. They eventually pick a door and enter a music class filled with old people poorly playing the accordion, and one of them is Larry, who I'm sorry is way too young to be in the d No sense at all, No, none at all, add it to the no sense list. He thinks he won the raffle, but Alex explains he actually needs a very special coin. Larry reminds him the coin shop is closed. There's nothing he can do to help, but once they explain their interdimensional lives depend on it, they retreat to his room. I love that he explained to him. He's just like, okay, got it, But he doesn't have the owl coin, but does remember that he sold a coin just like that before he closed but has no record of who he sold it to. We are now back in the street. What hour is this? How long have these people been on the road. They drop Abby off at her house before she could end up on a milk carton and they say good night. That brother spotted dad in double Denham, carrying ice cream cones for the kids and finally taking a break to be sad, each wanting a traditional family, and as they long for normalcy, they're confronted by police and brought back to the lansings. Terrence's handler comes in to get him out and the two new friends hug goodbye, but Terrence is quickly ushered out. The next morning, Alex wakes up and still can't shake the depressed feeling about his His dad enters to invite him to a brunch, but he's not hungry at all. His dad, hoping to cheer him up and to get him off of those women quarterly magazines, gives him a gift he's been saving for his birthday. Alex unwraps it and it's a handful of ancient coins. Alex barely acknowledges the gift, and once his dad leaves, he throws the box across the room, spraying currency everywhere, But then we see a coin. One of his dad's gifts was the wish coin. It's got an owl on it. Ooh, they found it. Alex's dad is the one who bought the coins from Larry. Alex can't believe it. He slowly approaches the coin but fumbles it, dropping it to the ground. Now teetering on a grate, inches away from falling into whatever strange cavernous hole his room has, he successfully grabs it and runs downstairs to lock himself in the bathroom and finally put an end to all this madness. His parents knock on the door, but he's able to finally wish that he never made the first wish. He's instantly transported back into his bed. Now in his normal room, he rushes through the house, seeing the tannin green hallways of return. He's got the same hair. He barges into what should have been Stevie's room and no gym equipment. It's back to how he likes it. He even sees that fucking' turkey in the backyard and the four person family photo. His parents are their normal apparently poor selves, and Stevie is outside playing in the pouring rain for some reason, Stevie apologizes for crashing Alex's bike, but his big brother doesn't even notice. He just gives his little bro a big bear hug. He's so thankful to see him. Stevie explains, but I didn't go anywhere, and Alex agrees, that's right, you didn't go anywhere. And then, of course, like you do when it's pouring rain outside, all your friends arrived. Abby and James arrive. Alex embraces them to immediately asking Abby to goes skating with him. She shocked but says yes. Just as a yellow Volkswagen bug passes by. It's Fiona. Alex yells out to her, I'm not your boyfriend, which of course makes sense to her or anybody else in the scene. The movie then ends with Alex being taken away to a mental institution as everyone shakes their head in sadness. I'm kidding, that didn't happen at all. Alex's parents invite everyone in for his famous pancakes, and all is right in the world. We pull out to reveal her rainbow has just appeared, just as the sun peeks through the storm. Then we're in the park, Abby and Alex are teaching Stevie how to rollerblade, and then James pulls up on his bike, the one that was obviously stolen in the other world. Stevie takes a seat as the other kids catch up nearby, and he already seems bored. Stevie reaches into his pocket and finds the wish coin. He sees Larry nearby talking to his own dog and then wishes for something, and just like that, Alex jumps over the park bench performs a one to eighty and is now the best rollerblader who has ever lived. And that is our movie, and now it's time for our real reviews. Sabrina, you have got the five star this week? Can you read us through this show?
Speaker 3: And I do, and I've got a very excited Trevor Sanchez with lots of exclamation points, one.
Speaker 1: Of like the title of the film, like the title of the feltatly there you go.
Speaker 4: One of, if not the best Disney Channel movies.
Speaker 3: It's so funny with great acting. Take that hater's boo ya.
Speaker 1: Boom love that. Yeah, it can't go wrong with a good boo. Yeah, I of course have the one star and our friends back, Sabrina unamadus back once again. It is unnamed, and it simply says, if my sibling wished me away, I'd hate him forever. One star. Fair enough, Okay, So here's our favorite part of the podcast. And by our favorite, I mean Sabrina's favorite. I can take it or leave it, but she calls me about this fifty times a week. I cannot wait to do our feature, and this one, of course, once again done by producer Jensen, is called I Saved Latin. In the movie Alice can apparently read Latin or some type of ancient scroll, and then it's never mentioned again. So we're going to be given some introductory Latin phrases and we have to guess what they mean with a couple of multiple choice answers. If we get three out of five, we win. In all fairness, Sabrina, I took six years of Latin. Here we go our first question. I'm not gonna be able to pronounce anything anymore because I haven't taken it in years. But here we go. It's a more vincit omnia is that A hold love close, B love is blind, C love conquers all, or D love is never having to say it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with B. Love is blind.
Speaker 1: Ooh oh. For one, the answer is ce love conquers all am I right there, Producer Jensen.
Speaker 6: You're absolutely right. This is this is gonna be tough. This is gonna be tough.
Speaker 4: So it's gonna be I mean everyone, now we're just like pulling out random freaking languages.
Speaker 3: So cool, all right, cool.
Speaker 1: That I actually know. Number two, we've got tempest fugit, which is either you're gonna hear some people say fugit and other people say fuge it. Both are actually correct, but we're gonna say temp is fugit? Is it? A pain is temporary? B time flies, see time waits for no one or D time passes slowly.
Speaker 3: D time passes slowly.
Speaker 1: Sabrina is over two. That is B time flies, this time flies B.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Number three, we've got men's sanna incorpore sano is that A A healthy mind is a healthy body. B. A man is measured by his power. C. A man is but what he knows or D. The measure of a man is what he does with power.
Speaker 3: Sabrina A man B A man is measured by his power.
Speaker 1: I believe it's a A healthy mind is a healthy body, is it not.
Speaker 6: I've got the beliefs that bring home the bacon, buddy. It's a.
Speaker 2: Dying, dying We gotta go.
Speaker 1: Number four, Number four pair aspera ad Astra. Is it a inside the heart rests love? B through hardships to the stars see in the eye of the beholder, or D the inside is out. Sabrina, what do you got.
Speaker 3: B hardship to the stars, through hardship.
Speaker 1: That is correct.
Speaker 3: It is I recognize Astra. That is me.
Speaker 1: Sabrina got one right. And number five labor, Omnia, Vincate or Vincent, depending on how you want to say it. Is it a work build strength, B work is the ultimate victory. C Work conquers all or D work overcomes obstacles. Sabrina, what do you got? C?
Speaker 3: Work conquers all?
Speaker 1: That is correct? It is C work is correct twice the day.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable to be fair, though, I just look back up because Vincent and Omnia were in the question of the first that.
Speaker 2: Work, that works.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to do that. Go back to the older sat question.
Speaker 2: That's what we do here, That's what we do.
Speaker 3: Thank you for Brina vacation.
Speaker 1: Thank you producer, Jenna is.
Speaker 3: Always you hunk of love. I love it.
Speaker 1: Can we please do a Sabrina sees.
Speaker 3: We can? So I feel like we did. I kind of gave up a few of them.
Speaker 4: I didn't have a ton of them because it was more so just confusion happening so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's it was.
Speaker 4: Like what we basically popped over all of them.
Speaker 3: One little thing.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you caught, but she when uh when I when I say she, it's the cheerleader and her name. When Fiona actually goes up to Alex to give him a kiss, when he's trying to figure out.
Speaker 3: What's going on and he doesn't really see what his like new reality is, she doesn't even really kiss him.
Speaker 4: She just like pushes her lips on his cheek and like it's not even a kiss.
Speaker 3: I was like, so I kind of got confused at that moment, going, wait, are like what hold on?
Speaker 4: Is this no?
Speaker 1: And then it was just like no.
Speaker 3: It just was a bad kiss, that's all it was.
Speaker 4: And then I'm glad you pointed out the spelling because I had to tell you that.
Speaker 3: I was so embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I still thought I got it wrong.
Speaker 4: I was so embarrassed that it made me think I was dumb and like I had to like look it up myself because I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, this is not us, that's not the same thing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, is she spelling?
Speaker 4: But nobody responded to it. That was the worst part. Just make me think twice about it. The locker room that they had for the the football game, this and this is one of those things where you just know that there they must be pulling like just a room to try to make it look into something. And it's kind of frustrating because I just feel like how much in their budget would it have been to actually have lockers? Like it was weird to be in a locker room and there were like no lockers.
Speaker 3: Their stuff was hung up on.
Speaker 4: The walls, like their their helmets and their jerseys were hung up on a hook like on the wall.
Speaker 1: It was could that maybe be how they do it in New Zealand. I mean, maybe that's a locker room in New Zealand. Maybe because there's no American football, so you wouldn't you wouldn't have pads, okay, because they just played there.
Speaker 3: There was like a track they have track in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh yeah, sure, I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: It just was strange. But that's a good point.
Speaker 1: I didn't think about the fact that.
Speaker 4: They were filming in New Zealand, but they tried to make it into a locker and it just wasn't a locker at all. The next one is the matching shirts. Did you think that the matching shirts would be like a picture of him on her and her on him?
Speaker 3: Like that's what I was thinking or something like.
Speaker 1: I thought they were just gonna have different shirts. I didn't think it was gonna be photos of them.
Speaker 4: When you saw the photos. I saw one of them first and then I looked. It took me like a second to realize they were both wearing pictures of her face on him, which I just.
Speaker 3: Was like, that is the I mean, it makes sense. It makes sense for Fiona.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: I also me think of when.
Speaker 5: I my senior year of high school, when I went to Sadie's Sadie Hawkins is where the match with your with your date, and I've heard our whole group, by.
Speaker 3: The way, wasn't just me. Our whole group. We made these like super.
Speaker 4: Cute shirts at Knotsberry Farm with our boyfriend's names on them, and then we made them matching shirts, but they had like just black T shirts or a button down.
Speaker 3: But we put our names on him and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, I feel bad now, way to go.
Speaker 3: Cute idea. The pictures are adorable, but like for the dudes, it feels like super sad. I felt bad now. So sorry, guys, we definitely forced you to do that.
Speaker 2: Ah bad.
Speaker 4: Did you see this was over one of the many pores of food overhead?
Speaker 3: She says, got milk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Isn't that like a like a trademark thing, got milk?
Speaker 1: No, I think anybody can say because it's just words. Yeah, it was like they're slowgan in. Yeah, but I don't think you can necessarily trademark milk.
Speaker 3: It was with milk, got milk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I don't I mean, it's not like they're going, like, you know, Cherry Coke. I don't know. I don't know. Maybe you're right. I don't know, because I think it's.
Speaker 4: Just you know, being on the channel or like being on Disney. Everything they were about making sure so you have to be right because Disney is so big on that.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, yes, the phrase got milk is a trademark slogan owned by the California Milk processor born.
Speaker 3: They say it in in the movie was she tours it over? So I was like, wait, wonderful. That seems kind of like that's that seems.
Speaker 4: It's like a brand, very very rebelish of our our friends at the Channel Rebel Disney Channel Ship also said the soundtrack was just awful until my I love that song. So that song yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: It just was yeah.
Speaker 3: And then the last.
Speaker 4: One was She's a little sluzy our agent friend who comes back in the house and is.
Speaker 3: Like, give me a call if you're ever in la. I was like, are you hitting on his dad in front of his mom? What is going on? Somebody get this girl out of here. You're out, You're late, You're done.
Speaker 1: Can I ask, is sluzy the combination of sleazy and fluozy? Because I love it? Okay, Now from now on they're sluzy. I feel like you're just making up word. Thank you, Sabrina. It's now time to rate our movie, Sabrina. That's what we're gonna be doing. By the way, we just found out the trademark for got Milk was registered in nineteen o three, So our options for rating our film this week are farting, turkeys. First of all, I'm sorry I jumped the gun. Should we do one out of ten? Let's do one out of ten?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, thank you for what we were doing.
Speaker 1: I was, yeah, let's do one as the lowest and ten is the highest. So we're gonna do one out of ten farting turkeys, I hope not one out of ten frosted t friends, romans and double eagles, one out of ten, dozens of fry bags, one out of ten scenes that never come back into play, one out of ten punches to wrappt hamburgers, hang out with lunatics, or one out of ten mustard and sugar sandwiches. I'd also like to add one out of ten sluzies. I'm gonna let you pick, Sabrina, which one would you like to doyluy? One out of ten sluzy mcgoozies. I think you go first this time. How many sluzy mcgoozies you're gonna give this one?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Gosh, man, I this one was not one that I really jumped into, I know. Ever, like I said, I was interested because, as you brought it to talking later on, I was really excited about their chemistry and the friendship right, And yeah, this movie was what I feel like, another opportunity for those actors that are on the channel that don't have the full lead in their shows to get an opportunity to start.
Speaker 1: So I was really.
Speaker 4: Excited thinking she was going to have this driving force in this movie, and I don't feel like her character Wasn't it really.
Speaker 3: Enough for me?
Speaker 4: I agree, and I saw the storyline going definitely towards them and their journey, not necessarily about the little brother and stuff. So there were just too many choppiness and too many what's going on. I'm confused, and like I said, I'm at the point with us watching so many of these. My favorite part about watching them is literally just getting lost and like being like, I'm not even I forgot. Oh god, I gotta rewind because I'm just not even like picking it apart. I'm just enjoying this movie. And this movie just wasn't that for me. So I am going to give it six sluzy magoozies.
Speaker 1: Wow, you scored it higher than I really. I agree with every well, I agree with everything you said. I think this movie should just instead of you know, be called you should just be called confusion. It was it was strange. Good young cast, you know, a good young cast, which which is which is great? None of it was their fault at all. I thought the script was very muddled. There were scenes that made no sense. I'm gonna give it five and a half sloosey mcgoozies, and the half is just for the Vanessa Carlton song, which was used wrong. But at least we got to listen to it. So there you go. There's you wish. That's what we got. Her next movie will mesh the world of dcom fantasy with real life when we take on two thousand's Miracle in Lane two, a movie about soapbox racing starring Frankie Munez, who is now a professional race car driver. Very cool. Make sure to subscribe to your dedicated Magical Rewind feed today and take a gander at all the interviews we have in our archives and for more info. You can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. You can go and do that now bye, everybody, sa