Speaker 1: I am all in you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeart Radio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast I Heart Radio one eleven production, Season six, Episode three, The Ungraduate. I am joined by my illustrious colleague, just out of her multiple meetings in very short period of time, Amy Sugarman. She's eating lunch, She's eating dinner.
Speaker 3: Not eating lunch. I was eating a peanut butter filled pretzel. Have you ever had them? I have one lunch. I have one left to get me through the podcast.
Speaker 1: Can you say, can you save that for me? Thank you?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Have I mailed it.
Speaker 1: To three thousand miles away? I want that?
Speaker 3: Can I just give you a little? A little?
Speaker 1: Uh s h?
Speaker 3: I t for a second. So the other night you got the other it was five thirty wait, five thirty our time. Yeah, we're talking about a live show we're going to do with Scott. So you guys will hear about it soon and you'll be able to come. But so I'm texting with maybe Hannah, I can't remember our producer texting with somebody, and so I call Scott. I called you and you didn't answer, And then you text me back and you're all it's eleven thirty. Yeah, and I'm right eleven thirty PM, Like you were like falling asleep right, You're like, I can't talk. It's eleven thirty. So whoever was on the phone with We're like thirty six thirty sirty, nine thirty it was it was our producer Hannah and we're like nine thirty right, Like he's what? He give you so much grief? Sit back and we're like, dude, it's nine thirty and you're a flea.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How many times do I text you at nine am my time and it's five am your time and I don't hear from you. You're like, hey, hey, I need a response. And it's like these people just got in from partying. Am I what am I texting them for?
Speaker 3: People laugh because I have to set an alarm for ten thirty in the morning, and they're like what and I'm like, yeah, I won't wake up normally when You're like I'm here with the team, but everybody is coming in. Suzanne's coming and Tara had a meeting, so the team is just me and Scott.
Speaker 1: We're the team. So we're bringing it to you.
Speaker 3: There's no. Two in team.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to pick up the slack. I don't know if we're capable. You'll be the judge. You'll let us know you're not shy. Always let us know. We love that. Just keep it.
Speaker 3: Coming, you guys. Is you guys behind the scenes. Because the other thing.
Speaker 1: Is podcast, you're required to wear a cod piece. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Scott. Just finished watching the episode, so right before we go on, we kind of like remind ourselves, like, Okay, here's what.
Speaker 1: I can't remember it. I have no idea what happened.
Speaker 3: I might need my notes I seconds ago, so I think I'll be okay.
Speaker 1: No, I actually watch it, and then I took a shower.
Speaker 3: Oh you, I did too.
Speaker 1: I took a shower, took I took the hottest shower I could stand because I needed it, because because I because I did the I did the pop culture sweaty from the gym. I need a shower because we broke it up today, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so now.
Speaker 3: They're getting the threat we're getting everyone's getting. We just watched it and we're fresh and clean. It's like, what more could they come on?
Speaker 1: Right? Clean memory, clean bodies. You know. I won't mention the souls.
Speaker 3: By the way, how's it to be a big TV star again? Your show premiere?
Speaker 1: Well, I must say it's I've been getting a lot of texts and emails and really now it's just really, it's really fun and great and people are great, and a lot of people that I haven't heard from in a long time. So here's the synopsis. Ready, I'm going to synopsize, so ready the ungraduate air date September twenty seven, two thousand and five. The construction crew working on Laurel's house drives Luke crazy. Paris is having weekly lunches at the end with Laurel, which is affecting the morale of the Inn staff. Rory starts working for Emily at the Daughters of the American Revolution, and Logan returns from his European trip his summer hiatus, and Lane's band heads home after a successful tour. Directed by Michael Zendberg, written by David Rosenthal and you know, Amy, Uh. Before we get into this, I just want to say thank you to everybody, all the great Gilmore fans who migrated over to watch the premiere Sullivan's Crossing last night on the CW eight o'clock Wednesday nights, Cozy Wednesdays. We've got blankets, We've got and they can stream it too on the CW app if they didn't if they missed it. So but it was just so great to hear from everybody, and I got so many d MS and emails and phone calls and texts, and uh, just really thrilled to be back with the CW and helping be a small part of the relaunch and the Rebrandy big part.
Speaker 3: It's so great and Tristan and Luke are reunited.
Speaker 1: What a great team. CW has just got a great team of people in their marketing and PR executive suite. It's it's just fantastic and you know them all the time. They're super pros.
Speaker 3: The people I'm dealing with Onan's crossing I knew from Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, crazy right, And.
Speaker 3: They're congrats to you.
Speaker 1: It's so great, Thank you, thank and also make sure to check out I'm going to be at the Galaxy Con in Columbus, Ohio, December second and third. I'm also going to be in Detroit, a little outside of Detroit at the Motor City Comic Con, which is November ten, eleven twelve. I'll be there, so check that out anyway. So I was so particularly interested in this episode because David Rosenthal has taken a lot of heat because he's the one that inherited the show season seven. Interesting, he's been getting lamb baseded or or you know, taking the blame because the tone was off and this was often a lot of fans, you know, thought that Stevens season seven wasn't as strong as as a previous season. So I was particularly curious to see this episode because he wrote it. And I gotta tell you something, Amy, I thought it was one of the top five episodes. It was fantastic on every level that I agree, seamless and great, and I was rolling all over the carpet as I was doing some ab work.
Speaker 3: Okay, fabulous.
Speaker 1: I had to stop on several times just to start roaring laughing.
Speaker 3: I feel the same. I thought, I have one scene that I'll criticize. There's one scene that I just thought Rory was off and I can explain maybe why. So I was like taken out of it in that scene. Otherwise, I thought every single part of this episode was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the monologues were and I think it's one of the first. And I know the fans think Luke has some funny lines here and there, and he's funny and all that, and the rants and all that. I've never been sort of LAURELEI Gilmour funny before I had. I think I did a couple of times pop a few lines in here that actually made me laugh out loud, like that's that was really great.
Speaker 3: It's funny to say that, because I thought this particular episode was funnier. They're all funny, right, and obviously when the Paladinos right, it's really funny. This one is up there. There are a lot of lines in the episode that are hilarious.
Speaker 1: It was fantastic.
Speaker 3: I totally agree.
Speaker 1: So David Rosenthal, if you're listening to this, kudos to you. You didn't deserve to take that level of criticism. But the one thing our fans are they are honest, and that's why we love them. And but I tell you, let's you know, let's keep it real here. This guy hit it out of the park with this episode. This is one of the great Gilmour right.
Speaker 3: The Gatelanka is a great addition to funny stuff because right in that first scene, the dog's in the chair. First of all, you have to bring the muffins over. It's all the boys are in the kitchen, everyone's getting their breakfast. The whole thing's got a lot of movement, a lot of Right from the start, You're like, is that a dog in the chair. That's Paul Anker's chair. And I was laughing right from then.
Speaker 1: And even the heap alien stuff was hysterical.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And I never found that particularly funny. I you know, I thought it was cute. I thought it was charming. But as far as you know, making me laugh out lot, I mean Gill's line to the pastor.
Speaker 3: It's Sebastian Bach.
Speaker 1: He is so what I mean. But the dialogue was hysterical. So you know, if Jesus came back, he'd be hooking up with you. First, dude, you're because you're awesome. I mean what I just roared.
Speaker 3: Sebastian Bach is so awesome when he's driving that van, huh. I was literally like, First of all, it looked like he was coming out of the window. I was like, these people are not properly buckled, Like they are.
Speaker 1: Not buckled in more than one folks.
Speaker 3: Those those old volkswagons were like that where the window was right like the driver's was.
Speaker 1: Very close to the steering wheel and it's kind of straight awesome. It was great, What a great episode. I'm actually going to watch it again after we get off here, because I just I missed a lot of stuff so.
Speaker 3: Fast. Even the bit about TJ as over the top as it is, I actually believe it, Like that's what's so funny that Lorelei and Luke are so sweet that they actually probably would pay that's a lot of money too. I will say they're paying a lot of money to TJ to make him think he's the contractor and it fully tracks like that was hysterical, and him going around and telling everybody what to do and paying Tom extra to not reveal that he's actually the I'm dead, I'm dead.
Speaker 1: The mystic hamra bit was classic.
Speaker 3: Oh there's a funny line that Luke has right from the top about but you're related to him or just because Liz married him, Like.
Speaker 1: It's like so good.
Speaker 3: The whole incident with the shower, Okay, so Lorlai gets caught by all the guys in the shower and she's like Joe Pete slim Billy had a really straight shot teddy too. And then when the guy gives you the the nod mm hmmm, the other like construction guy gives you the nod like yeah, way to go, And then she had the line, no one sees the goods but you.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they made a reference to that Dustin Hoffman movie that he made early in his career and the English countryside where he and his wife, his beautiful wife. He's a college professor or something, his beautiful wife played by I think Britt Eklund, I'm not sure, Okay, okay, And so they were having some more done on the house or outside the house, and it was a very very dark drama about these handyman who who broke into the house and no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and whoa I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Did horrible things to the wife, Oh gosh, and all this. So I'm one of the glad glad you brought I brought that up, aren't you. Everybody? Just to lighten them on a little bit, We're like.
Speaker 3: It's the funniest episode ever.
Speaker 1: Let's because because the reason the reason I thought about it was because you know, the juxtaposition right right right, Luke and how he was treating the workers. And there in his house now and she's putting on a show and they've seen her nake in the whole thing, and it's just such a safe world right where it's the opposite of the Dustin Hoffins.
Speaker 3: And there's amazing face acting in this whole episode too.
Speaker 1: They call it face acting. People to understand different, Is there a different category between regular acting and face acting.
Speaker 3: Because it's all acting so correct?
Speaker 1: I understand, we we but we get acting from body language, we get it from vibe, we get it from tone.
Speaker 3: Like myself, okay, considers acting talking No face acting is no talking.
Speaker 1: That doesn't make any sense, I know.
Speaker 3: But just go with the face acting because you've got some great face acting. There's the whole there's good face acting here with the that the boys saw her naked, and then there's some really good face acting, which we'll get to later in that sort of monologue that Laura I has about picking up the dog, trying to convince you to take the dog. Oh, the paul Anka stuff, And this is amazing.
Speaker 1: You know how you do good face acting?
Speaker 3: You act? No, you listen, Yeah, you've taught us that before.
Speaker 1: Good acting is good listening. You've gotta you have to listen to your partner, your scene part You gotta just listen to them, listen to what they say. I guarantee the rest takes care of itself. You don't have to do anything. You just listen. You act with your ears.
Speaker 3: Everybody listening to this podcast interacting.
Speaker 1: It's not facing excited the head acting.
Speaker 3: Everybody right now. I was like, no, wonder, Amy's such a terrible actor because I'm so bad at listening. They definitely don't like when I interrupt. But I don't mean to interrupt. I get excited in the conversation. So I love the ping ponging.
Speaker 1: What did I tell you from day one? What did I tell you I wanted from this podcast?
Speaker 3: Have fun?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and play jazz, play.
Speaker 3: Jazz, thank you. Yes, be a little bit behind.
Speaker 1: The music, be a little bit ahead of the music. It never be all.
Speaker 3: I love that descriptor for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's how I love that. I love it. I love that. I love that. So it's like we're the Miles Davis of the I think we.
Speaker 3: Have such a good time talking about these episodes. So I will have one. I have a couple criticisms of this episode, one being come on, Emily, you know the difference between a blueberry and a raspberry. They don't even look alike.
Speaker 1: So that was a little okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So we go to the scene where they're having breakfast, and look, I think Rory should go back to Yale. It's ridiculously insane that she's not at Yale. And we can talk about that later, but I still like their scenes. I love the poolhouse is the most amazing living space for Rory. It's freaking beautiful. I want to eat breakfast with Emily every day. That being said, she should go back to Yale, but I love that she's talking with Emily about constants and the dar and Rory's on the inside and there is there are there's some fun to what they're doing. I just wish it was summer and this was summer only and that she went back to Yale. But I'll still enjoy the whole thing. So the nursing home, oh oh Graves. That scene. Yeah, yeah, it's precious, like it's literally precious. But anyway, we'll talk more about that. So another sort of through line in this episode is Paris and Paris and Lorealized lunches and how she's terrorizing everyone at the Dragonfly. So what did you what do you kind of think about that? And Michelle being so.
Speaker 1: I just say it was some of Michelle's best stuff that I have seen. What he did, the he did, he did the sound effects. What did he do?
Speaker 3: He did some sound the Wizard of Oz music I can't do. I don't have the tune in my head.
Speaker 1: So do I feel some ice called wind coming down the path? I mean? This guy? The dialogue was so great. It was so funny.
Speaker 3: Is she gone? The whole thing is so funny. And then there's also that moment. The thing I love about Gilmore girls in this episode in particular, they don't overseell the joke, right like when he's doing the Wizard of Oz. They don't mention it further, just that thing. And did you see the part where all the servers come running into the kitchen like together.
Speaker 1: I saw. I was watching episode. Yeah, I saw it.
Speaker 3: I thought all of it was.
Speaker 1: Great, great great detail, great humor, great stuff. David Rosenthal did a great job, and.
Speaker 3: I understand why Laura l I. Okay, so we're going a little out of order today, but forgive us we're off the rails. But the part where we sorry Paris and Lourlai are having lunch, I think it's the second line un and Paris talks about talking to Rory and that she's got this job, and immediately Laura is like what what job? Well, she was at her office? What office? And they have that sort of back and forth, and then Paris kind of gets upset, like are you only having lunch with me to have get intel? And then of course Laura's like, no, no, no, we can have lunch anytime. It's all pretty real, like I understand Lauraai why she's having lunch with Paris, and I get why Paris wants that connection to LAURAAI, and that Laurlai wants to know what's going on with Rory and this is kind of a mess. And she finally says to Luke, I'm not picking a wedding date until things are sorted out. Like there's the whole episode Hilary's with actual emotion and heaviness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that bugged me a little bit. I thought that really one flaw in the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it was too out of nowhere and very much out.
Speaker 1: Of nowhere, And boy, that hit him hard and he covered you.
Speaker 3: So I have a theory on it. My take on it is very similar, and I this is interesting. I think the reason you didn't love it is the same reason I love the proposal, because I think what's happening is she's staring at you as you say, this is what happened to the dog. The dog ate the chocolate. I had to carry the dog that was closed. I went to his house. The dog barfed. I fed him water with a spoon, like all the things that you did, Very similar to when you're talking about we're going to solve this problem with Rory. We'll go to Yale. We'll drag her there, you know, and she's staring at you with so much love. It's when she realizes, like, I love this guy so much. This guy puts his entire life aside for my kid, for my dog. So that's when she wants to say to you, as soon as things are good with Rory and I will pick a wedding date. Because she doesn't want you to wonder why she hasn't done it.
Speaker 1: Has it done?
Speaker 3: What picked the wedding date? So you, guys, because remember it's acknowledged earlier in the etshole.
Speaker 1: That is a considerate act I did.
Speaker 3: I think she's saying, hey, I'm not picking the wedding date for anything that has to do with you and me. It's because I want to be good with Rory for our wedding. And I actually think Luke's like, I got it, thank you, know almost, thank you for talking about this, so I know why we haven't talked about it, and I don't have to bring up the elephant in the room. And then he gets it. This is so big and special to her. She wants her kid there, she wants to be good with her kids. So I see why it irritated you, because the same reason the proposal irritates you, because you're seeing it from a different perspective. For me, I'm seeing Loralai looking at you, going, this guy just carried my dog like it was a baby all over and held it while it vomited all over and this guy is everything. Same thing as though, will you marry me? In my opinion, same scene, different day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a beautiful moment. Anyway, Hey Suzanne, how you doing.
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 4: Sorry internet catastrophe over here.
Speaker 1: It's never happened to us. It's just I don't know what.
Speaker 3: Jus Anne had my back? Did you hear what I was saying?
Speaker 4: I heard the end of it, So fill me in on the first part.
Speaker 1: Just that Laurelized has an excuse to delay setting a wedding date. What do you think? What do you think? Yeah, yeah, you know, because I want to be right with Rory and all that, and you know there's you can make an argument for that, sure, But how'd you feel about it?
Speaker 4: I can see kind of both sides of it, because I can see why she would want everything to be right with Rory before actually getting married.
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 4: That is enough to postpone setting the date, like you could say, seventy a year in the future, right and make sure everything kind of works herself out before then. So I definitely agree with her that she should have that because I couldn't imagine her having a wedding to Luke while she's not speaking to Rory, Like you can't not have Rory at your well, Okay, I don't want to have any spoilers, but why I'm not going to continue that thought. But she wouldn't in a million years have a wedding to Luke without Rory being there, So I can see that side of it, but I don't know that it would be enough to delay setting the date. But I think maybe what I'm reading between the lines here, Scott is you're thinking that she's trying to postpone, like she's trying to delay being together with Luke, and this is a convenient reason to do that. I don't know if I would go that far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get why Scott sees it because it's very similar to the proposal and why that wasn't your dream proposal. It lands on you a little badly where I see her love for him because of the dog, and so she is saying, hey, this is why I haven't done it. It has nothing to do with her not being thrilled about this engagement, it's my take.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can see that too, right, Like she's saying, this is why I'm delaying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you know what I think this comes down to. It comes down to perception of reality, and that I ask you, honestly and everybody out there, do you think a show is stronger when we know there's two clear leads in this show, Rory and Laura Lai. That's whose po V we're taking this journey with. Really we are not going to take the le Luke po V on this journey. Ever. It will always be, as you know, a side hustle. Right, He's never gonna he's never gonna drive his own narrative. He's never ever, no other character in that show is going to get the POV point of view from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really fascinating question.
Speaker 1: But in this instance, I think it was a time when maybe a Luke po V would have actually made the show better. I'm not saying that for every episode, or even the majority of the episodes. I'm saying in this instance, maybe the narrative could have shifted and the po V could have shifted a lit little bit toward Luke, where you know, we get to see it from a fresh perspective. I really thought thought it was a missed opportunity. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that I want to be the master of the show and it's got to be all about me. But I think the character earned it, earned a POV on this one, and they never gave it to him. So that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: No, it's a it's a really interesting thought because when you said that, I realize I only watched this show from Lorealize perspective. I don't even watch it from Rory's I'm always Lorealized perspective. And because I like her so much and I want to be her essentially, I'm good with that because even when I watch Rory's stuff, I'm watching it to me sort of Morelaurli. So I don't that's my take. Was like, even with it being Gilmore Girls, it's always to me Laura La M. Yeah, it's just a different show if we saw it from Luke's perspective.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Susanna said, did I propose something preposterous and off base the universe into a spiral of hell?
Speaker 4: I think you're right, And I think we did get a little bit of that in the last episode with the whole conversation on the roof and how he's telling her like, Hey, I know this is the thing between you and Rory, but I'm caught in the middle because he look both of them and he wants both of them to be happy and both of them to have their needs met, And nobody was thinking about how Luke was in the middle of this. So I think we did get a little bit of that in the last episode. But I think maybe you're right about the wedding piece of it. You know, we could have gotten a little more of his viewpoint about the the prospect of marriage and when that was going to happen and that.
Speaker 3: Piece of it.
Speaker 4: So I can see that point of view, but I also agree with Amy. I tend to watch it from loraalized point of view. Also, just because I was already the first time I watched my show, the show, I was already forty, so I wore that like in that sixteen year old, you know, high school slash college student mode.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was I was. I think I was thirty almost thirty, So I always related to her much more, which is why my crush on Logan is kind of fascinating. But I think it's because Zukri is my age. He played younger. Speaking of I have such a comment about Zukri in this.
Speaker 1: Well, look not to be labor the point. Let's let's get to it. You know, we don't want to stay on there.
Speaker 3: No, it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought i'd introduce it a little bit, but you know, let's move on and continue with the episode.
Speaker 3: So we Okay, let's talk about Rory at the DAR a little bit. I think I like it, but I don't like it, And especially at the end there, I'm like, oh, this is just sad. They're all at Yale and she's at the DAR. I like it that she had the office. I love that she's now, you know, taking control of the community service too. She's like the big leader of the community service, which leads me back to why are we even here? Because she she is a leader, she is successful. Why does she care what Mitcham said? It doesn't make sense, like but whatever. The one thing I didn't like I thought the Constant stuff was a little bit mean. The whole thing, the spying on Constance, the woman at the DAR that Emily doesn't like, and her pill like the Altoyd's box that was filled with reals.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it was mean?
Speaker 3: It was a little too gossipy and mean for me, Like, why are we judging this poor Constant woman. I get it, maybe she's terrible, but like, I don't want to judge her Altoid's box with pills and it just felt a little I got the gist and that it was funny and gossip on the side.
Speaker 1: I think this is where somebody steps in and says, hey, come on, it's just fun the TV show.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's a little it was a joke.
Speaker 1: It was a jokey joke thing that was that I don't know played out for me. It's it matched the spirit of the writing and the show, this particular show, because it was easy, breezy, you know. That's what I loved about what David Rosenthal did. He he really interwove the drama with the humor and it quite a seamless way, I agree, And it really made the humor pop even more because it didn't you know, you didn't have to stand in the drama line because now you're getting drama, and you didn't have to stand in the humor line because now you're getting humor interwoven. He married the two together in a way that you rarely say. So that's that's impressive. Feat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I want to hear what Suzanne's perspective is. For me, Rory's getting a little too sucked into Emily's world, even the negative of it. So it was just I think she's getting just hooked into this sort of ladies who lunch with money thing. She's a little too comfortable with it for me. I mean, she really is.
Speaker 4: Emily's due over. And we've seen over the past couple seasons that Rory fits into that Emily lifestyle pretty readily, Like she kind of fights it a little bit at first, but she pretty much enjoys it, and we really see in this episode that she is kind of underneath she's still that same Rory that was, you know, a go getter, and she's taken charge of all the people that are picking up trash, and you know, she's gone from fighting with the people to you know, directing them where to pick up trash and what supplies they need and all that.
Speaker 3: So that was hilarious, hilarious.
Speaker 4: And one thing about that trash scene, I noticed that when the one girl says that they're going to go for pizza, the girls are going to go for pizza, and the guy walks up and says, I want to go and she says, are you a girl? That I couldn't remember why that guy looked so familiar to me, and so I looked it up.
Speaker 3: He wasn't.
Speaker 4: He was in a previous episode. He was a children's student. Now in my brain I'm thinking, okay, that's another children's student that committed a felony and now he's doing community serv Oh my god. I think it's supposed to be a different character. But it just made me laugh because I'm like, something funny together in my head.
Speaker 1: Good catch.
Speaker 4: Wow, guy looks so familiar.
Speaker 1: Go get another call from the lawyer again.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of little tidbits, I have a tidbit. Okay, So the scene where Paris calls Rory at work. So first Rory's on the phone. Do you know what I'm gonna say, Susana. Rory's on the phone with like a customer, I don't know what you'd call him, a dar potential lady. And she's talking to the lady and she puts her on hold. Okay, then she does never went back to her. She just hung the phone up. I was like, is that intentional that she's supposed to be hanging let me put you on hold, flick. Maybe that's the joke, Maybe that's the thing that it's supposed to be, like, let me put you on hold. But then she hangs up on her, because this lady clearly is not a daughter of the revolution, right, But I was like, either that or she's so bad at her job. She forgot to go back and get her. But I think now, I think you're right, Susanne. It's that she didn't put her on hold. She just said she wasn't hung up on her.
Speaker 4: That's actually not what I thought you were going to say.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 4: I thought I thought you were going to talk about Rory Gilmore sex book.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that was funny too.
Speaker 4: Ye did anybody else google that? Because I did?
Speaker 3: And the no tell us? What is it that somebody.
Speaker 4: Apparently bought that domain? And if you go to Rory Gilmour sexbot dot com there's a little like thirty second video it's pretty hilarious.
Speaker 3: Still, that's amazing. I love people that are like brilliantly.
Speaker 4: Probably not a lot of competition for it.
Speaker 3: What's website where you can buy the domains? Go Daddy? Yeah, oh gosh, you're just literally renting something from go Daddy that's free. I don't know whatever. So okay, I have to talk about it. Let's talk about the scene with Rory and Logan. So first of all, darling when Logan comes into the nursing home, the dancing is darling. The the funny lines, this like the whole that whole scene is adorable and makes me like wish like I said that it was just a summer and this was her summer jobs, because I love seeing her in that element. It's just when I go, oh my gosh, she's doing community service because she stole a yacht.
Speaker 4: I thought it was kind of unprofessional though, like her she's making kind of at work and then her boyfriend comes in and he's like smooching all over her. I don't know, I.
Speaker 3: I thought of that, But I also thought it was so cute because I'm like, here he is and with all these grannies, and it's so cute. The grannies and the granpies are all having such a good time with the day thing and they don't want their you know, orange juice break. It was really cute. Fast forward to the scene of Rory and Logan. Obviously they've just done it.
Speaker 1: Or you could you could use the term post coital I did. They've just done it.
Speaker 3: I would say it they did a Mather on the couch. Literally, I don't even know what they're talking about, because all I saw was Matt Zuker's arm pit.
Speaker 4: I can honestly say I was not paying attention to the armpits in that scene.
Speaker 1: No, what Amy is referring to is the is the the curvature of his muscular shoulders and.
Speaker 3: Truth, truth, that just me truth, but also just this was his arm the whole scene. And I'm just like, bro, all I I can't even see your face, Like anyway, That's the only scene that I thought Rory was a bit Why do I say this? That almost like Alexis was reading the script instead of being Rory, because she's like, I didn't want to go blue, Like I just was like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when we were talking a couple episodes ago about her voice, this completely highlighted that. For me, I was not a fan of this scene at all. I think you know, I I think Alexis is great, but this was not her best work. And I agree this was not Rory's best work either. She sounded kind of spoiled and entitled, and she's when she said what did she say? She's like, I've got my work, I've got my new pad. I'm like your grandma's poolhouse. Tell your new bad break.
Speaker 3: Dude, agree that scene. I was like, you sound like an income poop, like you were at Yale and you're saying to your boyfriend, Like, I don't mind if you talk about Yale. I've got my work, Like, what is she? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I agree, that's the point though, isn't that the point that she's that she's she's a bit delusional, she's not really seeing, you know, kidding herself, kidding her self. She doesn't realize how far she's fallen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that was you know, mitcham Huntsberger really you know, laid the gloves on her, knocked her out, and this is the result.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Yeah, I think you're right, Scott, because we that scene was so.
Speaker 1: I empathized with her often. If it was supposed to make us feel sorry for a root for maybe it didn't achieve that for y'all, but I understood what they were going for, so I forgave it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for me, I think you're I think you're right, Scott. I think I didn't realize that when I was watching it, because I wrote down insane, insane, and then I wrote not my favorite scene. And I think maybe that was intentional. We're supposed to think what is wrong with her? You sound like an idiot?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was just to show that she really is in denial. She's trying to convince herself as much as she's trying to convince Logan that.
Speaker 3: Hey, I moved on.
Speaker 4: Everything's good. And I think I think that I agree. That was the point of that scene.
Speaker 1: And she did say a couple of times that she was not going back to Yale, and it sounded like forever, I'm never going on.
Speaker 3: Totally, which also was insane, which yeah, Yale was a good time, but good time in my life, but I'm not going back. And it's like, what are you talking about? Like you're at Yale woman, Like who go and take take a different career path? Like what are you? It's so infuriated.
Speaker 1: Her entire life. She was preparing to enter the Ivy League, her entire life. That was the entire focus of this show. That was laurelized modus operendi from the time that Rory was born and here she is, you know what was she top of her class Chiltern and then she gets admitted to She did get admitted to Harvard, didn't she Harvard? And do you know what kind of grades you have to have to get admitted to to all of the Ivy League? Like they all want you. So we're talking about somebody who is very, very advanced academically and can compete on that level and beyond, and she just I know it's it's it's tragic that she just throws it all the way. I know it bothers me too.
Speaker 3: It's so really irritated.
Speaker 1: So do we think that's good for the show. Here's here's the debate. Here's the debate. So we want her back at Yale because we want to get the show back on track because we don't recognize the show anymore. Is this an element of that of that voice in your head that says, hey, this is Gilmore Girls. I love Gilmore Girls. I love anything they do, but man, this this facocta storyline. You know what I mean? It's like get her back to Yale, like the fans instinctively knowing something's really off here in terms of the storytelling.
Speaker 4: I think that's definitely a theme that is present throughout the fan base. I think a lot of people have trouble interesting seven. And Tarna even said when we started season six, She's like, this is at the point where I stopped my rewatch. Oh, Like I think a lot of people do that because there's the tone definitely.
Speaker 1: Changes, oh boy, at.
Speaker 4: This point in the run of the show. So it does definitely kind of lose its luster for a lot of people. And I don't know, obviously, I don't have any insight into what Amy and Dan were thinking in terms of, you know, their their trajectory with the show, because I know there were contract negotiations and conversations happening, you know, behind the scenes that we don't know about, so I don't know how much of it was intentional, but there definitely is a change in the way still about the show.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is, at this point in Dan and Amy's career, they were going for the two year deal, which is standard on a hit show, because that's what Aaron Sorkin got for West Wing, and that's what other successful writer showrunners get when their shows have to be renewed after six seasons. That's a really good thing for a network because so many of their shows tank, and so the successful shows pay for the failures, and there's twenty five failures for everyone hit, you know, something like that. So you're right, Susan. So you're saying, Susan that you think that Amy and Dan potentially sort of lit a match to this show storytelling wise and destroyed one of the characters or maimed one of the main characters because they were like, we'll show Warner Brothers they want to mess with us and not offer us a proper deal, a proper respect. Well, this is what we'll do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's definitely true by the end end of season six. I don't know what point that started, though, but I definitely think and this is just my Suzanne French's opinion, nobody has to agree with it, but I think that the end of season six, which obviously we're not at yet, I think that was intentional what they did, because they knew they weren't coming back.
Speaker 3: And they were either kind of checked out or intentionally through it. One of the two, right, or a combination.
Speaker 4: I don't know, But I don't know at what point in season six that started, Like, I don't know if we're already seeing that now or that's that stuff started happening later.
Speaker 3: The only reason I don't know if we're seeing it yet is I do have when she goes to breakfast with Logan and she's on campus and she sees the girl giving the tour to the new students. My thing was like, oh sweet, she's kind of longing for that gat. Yeah, so I thought, Okay, their intention doing this knowing we're going to get her back to Yale eventually, they want us to not like her at home, meaning at the Gilmore's Like, I feel like they're still showing us, Hey, we're just showing a trajectory of Rory that she's had this downworld spiral. But she's starting to think like, oh, I'm a little jealous of that girl giving the tour. And then I think it's very clear when we're at the end Norraia's got the weird short bangs at the DAR. I think we're left to say, what is she doing? And we know it now and she's starting to know it. Yeah, she knows this, I agree with that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So Susanna, that's interesting, Amy, Susanne, So you feel that that could be not to you know, beat a head horse here, but that could be intentional as a reaction to negotiations that weren't bearing fruit for the Palladinos.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I said, I wasn't there. I don't know, I don't know them personally, but I can see how that would have come through in their writing that maybe they start to steer the story into a certain direction, right because they know that they may not be coming back.
Speaker 1: So I know that, you know, the show runner, the showrunner studio a relationship is very precarious because you know, the studio since they're financing this, right, you know, they're they're in the they're in the in the red for five years before they sell this into syndication and then they start making some money off of it. But man, they go their deficit spending for four or five years and we're talking, you know, it's one hundred million, it's one hundred and fifty million dollars. They're in you know, they're in debt over one show, so before they start getting any return. So it's a big risk. So they do give notes to show runners like we we want to see these narrative, we want to see these storylines. How about this? How about Rory does this? How about Logan does that? How about you know this or that? And the relationship between studio and a showrunner can can blow up very easily if these notes aren't incorporated, or if they're if they're rejected in such a way as to offend the studio or you know, so you know again we should try to get them on.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like, oh my god, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I have a couple of notes and questions for you guy.
Speaker 1: Let's un answered questions for that but interesting, interesting topic, you know, So.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Hep Alien for a second. Did that beard come out of nowhere? I was like, does he have a beard all of a sudden, Zach.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they've been for a couple of months.
Speaker 4: They Yeah, they can't afford toothpaste.
Speaker 1: So if you can't affords Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I love that she managed to squire away nine thousand. That's a lot so they can. Oh what's squire Away?
Speaker 1: Just not squire Yeah, that has nothing.
Speaker 4: I think you made it up.
Speaker 3: Now moving forward, when you talk about the squirreling Way money, you say squire So from here to four it's squire Away money.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: So I like, I liked I with you, Scott. Like the hip Alien stuff was actually good. They sort of sounded better than ever. The van scene is funny the whole thing. So I was I was a big heap Alien fan in this.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, it's Sophia Bush, host of the podcast Work in Progress, and I am thrilled to tell you that Work in Progress is back for a third season. My friends, it has never been more important than right now for us to have all of these big conversations together. We are going to get educated, a little bit enlightened, and we will definitely be entertained. I started Work in Progress because I'm a curious person, and I realized there are so many people I get to speak to that are fascinating and rare, and so I thought, why not take these conversations out into the world. I'm going to be having deep chats with thought leaders, newsmakers, celebrities, entertainers, authors, elected officials, and more. You can join us and listen to Work in Progress on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about the Smores cake? The s'mores wedding cake? So I, first of all, I love that Suki says, this is this wedding we're doing is going to be a trial run for yours and everyone's like, we're But the wedding cake looked a back.
Speaker 1: I first thought it was a sculpture from China. I had no idea what it was. And then when she said it, I still couldn't see it. And then I said, okay, I accepted it because they were saying it, but yeah, that was mine. That was amazing with that scene. Thank you.
Speaker 3: And then can we talk about Matt Zuger's finger? Yes, obviously that was real? He obviously yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because they wrote it into the show, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they wrote it in. But he's got a finger injured.
Speaker 1: I don't think they would allow that level of character detail. I don't think that they would. Matt didn't go to them say listen, I really want to come back from Europe. But but no, but he did. No, But it was in the script, right, because he got injured chasing the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think they I felt like they had to do it because he actually hurt his finger. Yeah, because I was like otherwise, it's so.
Speaker 1: What a great excuse to have Matt back on the show. Huh, let's get him back on.
Speaker 3: Oh we need to you know, he's an American horror story.
Speaker 1: We need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, once the strike INDs, we need to get Matt back.
Speaker 1: He's he's he got cast and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's airing. I tried to watch it, but it just was.
Speaker 1: Too main role.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's yeah, like I think he's like the top. I watched part of the first episode and I think he's like the main guy. Good for him, Yeah, he I know.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's great. We got to get him back on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We miss Maddie. I miss Maddie.
Speaker 3: He's so great. So I will say it's dumb she lives in the poolhouse, but man, this looks good, like.
Speaker 4: I'd like to live there totally.
Speaker 3: It's huge. It has that huge living room, huge kitchen, and that's not even the bedroom. We've seen the bedroom ones do. That thing was huge too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a tooth square.
Speaker 3: Bigger them. So okay, So there's that. And then I do think it's important to acknowledge when TJ goes to Rory's door and what's in here and they all freak out and she's clearly so sad and they're a little caustic about it. Leave the room alone, but like, she's sad about all this. Yes, she hasn't really moved on.
Speaker 4: She's putting up a brave face, but she hasn't moved on.
Speaker 1: So here we have the second story point that maybe Susanne you can enlighten us that the fans are bucking hard against this, uh this this breakup between Mother and oh like.
Speaker 3: The fractured relationship. So do the fans hate.
Speaker 1: That the fans hate that?
Speaker 4: I think I think most people don't like that they're apart, like because we all watch the show for the mother daughter relationship and it's hard to see them fighting, although that's a realistic part of Mother and so I think most people don't like to see them apart. I actually some I've read comments that people like, just skip this whole part altogether. I actually don't mind it. I kind of like the conflict and I like Rory. I like her getting taken down a notch was there? Yeah, but you know that's that's good to see, So I actually will. I like the beginning of season six. It's gonna take a turn pretty soon, but yeah, I think the beginning. I had forgotten how much I liked these episodes until, like I started watching for this podcast, But I really enjoyed the beginning.
Speaker 1: But it does prove that even if they're not talking, they're interesting enough characters all throughout the show that's going to carry the show. And even though you might be missing feeling like you're missing something. You're getting a lot in return, replacement value with a development of the other characters. Because I thought the half alien stuff was the best, was great, and I wanted to spend more and more time with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like Logan the lot, Like this isn't his best episode. He's a little too smiley in this episode, in giggly almost, but like he's adorable.
Speaker 1: M mm hmm.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, you know, you know where I think season so far, the Luke Lorelie stuff is really good.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think that's always solid. Yeah, I think it really it's a thing that's has sort of replaced the Laurlai Rory.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, right, I agree with you. I think it's just why you're.
Speaker 1: Seeing longer scenes between them and cuter scenes and scenes between them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, when I look back on the series, I always think of it having three leads you, Lauren, Alexis, But really that doesn't happen until this season. This is the real season where you become really a lead of the show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't in my opinion.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, this is where and I think it's because they're sort of splintered. If that's the word squired, who.
Speaker 1: Are we going to find to replace the Rory? Let's get that look character in there. That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: So she've elevated that those scenes because there aren't Rory lore Li scenes. So it makes sense that in my mind, I always thought that existed, but it is true, like in the early seasons, your part is smaller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: It's because in terms of screen time, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly precisely. And I think I find them to be so enjoyable that I think it's why I don't hate season six or so far, because I'm getting so much of that and I love those scenes. And I have to say I love the dog scenes in this where you're taking the dog and running to the vet's house and all of it. I was just like, this is working for me. Paul Anka is working for.
Speaker 1: Me right now. I think my favorite scene partners in my whole career didn't say a word, just what I want him to do.
Speaker 4: Maybe even more than Luke, paul Anka is who they brought into place literally literally needs take care of something.
Speaker 1: Is it gonna be, Luca?
Speaker 4: Is it gonna be?
Speaker 1: Let's go with a dog.
Speaker 3: So accurate I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Times we can put luc In the dog together and then they'll forget about it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I can't wait to hear your favorite lines, because may I give mine? Yes, you may this line. There's a million great.
Speaker 1: Lies only this time, this one time, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: There's a million right lines in this But the one that I just went I literally chuckled is she's gonna go to his place and she's got to get back, and so he's going to pack up her stuff and she says, like the last time, I got four bras and no pants, and Luke says, that could have been intentional, And you deliver it too, because, like I said, it's ever so obvious and it's just like that could have been intentional, and I'm like, oh my god. There's some really funny sort of double on tundra stuff in this one too, like sort of sexy funny, you know, the same thing. No one gets to see the goods, but you there's very there's a lot of flirting between the two of you, now, really cute flirting.
Speaker 1: So they're really comfortable in each other's presence. They're very, very comfortable, very busy, both of them.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful when they come together. What no, Yes, Amy in the front row or.
Speaker 3: You do it. There's one other hilarious one. She's back, she's coming back. Did she leave her spell book? Did she leave her phone or her spell book? What are yours? What are yours?
Speaker 1: What's your favorite?
Speaker 4: My favorite line was when it's it was really like it was a throwaway scene. Basically when they were at the inn and they're talking about who is going to come back late for this wedding party that was going to arrive at midnight or whatever, and Michelle well, I would do it, but I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Uh huh uh huh. Mine was after TJ's uh speech about enlarging the kitchen and you know, knocking down Rory's bedroom walls, and Laura l i uh as you described her, was a little caustic. And then that she left and Luke left, and so TJ is standing there and he and he looks at Tom and he goes, is she Jewish? The last thing I expected? Come on? I felt I fell out of the chair. I don't know that. You know, Michael da Luis is very impressive.
Speaker 3: He's great. I some people don't like him in this and I don't know.
Speaker 1: But there's a there's a there's a level of skill that he brings. I mean, that's what he's doing is he's created a character that is completely different from who he is. I mean that is a character actor. That is a masterfulformance of a character that he created.
Speaker 3: And I think it's they don't like TJ. Not that they don't like him, but for.
Speaker 1: Some reason people don't try not like how could you?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but he's on some of the worst Gilmore characters lists, and I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Think he's I think he's like on I think of all the guest stars and all the recurring characters, he's the top dog.
Speaker 3: I agree, he's the.
Speaker 1: Top of the heap. And man, I wish he was a serious regular because they too what a I mean, yeah, it's a gift to be able to incorporate body language, you know, the vocal part of it, the action.
Speaker 3: Here's your condiments.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it was brilliant, brilliant, it was. He's absolutely I mean I bet you he's.
Speaker 3: I think he's fat.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. So I and I love that scene I had with him at the end, building them up, you know, getting his confidence back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that my favorite men.
Speaker 1: You're a Q, You're like Jesus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I love that scene.
Speaker 3: I'm giving this episode nine point seventy five armpits.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm hmmm.
Speaker 3: I'll give it.
Speaker 4: I'll give it nine point I'm going to say nine point nine. I really liked this episode, but I'm going to take a tenth off because Emily didn't know the difference between a blueberry and a raspberry. That was a big red flag. So I'm going to say my point, you're.
Speaker 3: Here yet, but I agree that really was like what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm going to give it ten. David Rosenthal GIRs oh because he doesn't deserve them. Because the guy the guys really gifted. I don't know what the heck went almost season seven behind the scenes and the storyboards and all that stuff, but I gotta tell you that guy can write his ass off. That episode was spectacular. It was hysterical, it was funny, it was fast paced without being rushed. And I think I think Michael Zenberg has something to do with that, obviously, because he really knows where to put the camera. Great editing, great directing, great writing. Man. I love this episode. I love this episode. Yeah, I thought it was seamless and perfect.
Speaker 3: And wait, Suzanne, I cut off Suzanne and didn't let her give her nine point nine? Was it blueberries?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm going to give it nine point nine orange trash bags?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, good oh from the community service community. All right, let's uh so that that was something, but I one of my favorite episodes, one of my favorite episodes.
Speaker 3: Just awesome. I liked it. I think it's great too. I don't have a lot of complaints about season six yet.
Speaker 1: So David Rosenthal, hats off to you. Hard to come in there and capture the tone like that, and he really did it. I mean, wow, wow, wow, wow, very impressive. Anyway, so let's yeah, what's the name of what's that? What's up next week's episode? Hannah flashed it up, but it was only one. I know I missed it always That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always a Godmother, Never a God.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the next episode is a season six episode for always a Godmother, Never a God. Thank you Susanne French for your incredibly insightful commentary. Amy Sugarman, Thanks of the English language. Thanks for Squire Squirrels Incorporated.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go squire away my money. If I can record an.
Speaker 1: Album, why you have so many?
Speaker 3: If I can record an album with.
Speaker 1: You, and you knows of something people don't know. Sebastian Boet, Yeah, he kind of stole.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know that he stole the episode, but he definitely stole those scenes.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I agree.
Speaker 1: I mean, what just a wonderful for him to and the guitar solos there was.
Speaker 3: All next week?
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks everybody, Love you best fans on the planet. Keep the cards and letters coming, emails, DMS, text, We love it all. I always remember we and I am all In. Stay safe everyone, see you next time. Hey everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.