Speaker 1: Sometimes you need to call an audible and we did this week on the podcast. We've got a training camp preview and reaction to some big news coming in this week for the Jets and their young stars. Le Jay Dousable is here and we're breaking it all downe we meet anybody in the world, and I think we're gonna win.
Speaker 2: Next Sunday to the scot That's wonder stream.
Speaker 1: Can't wait.
Speaker 3: Put your seat belts on and get ready for the ride.
Speaker 1: Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop Game Day, jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com. Let's welcome in, Lejayouzable. You were just at a cooking class. The Jets front office has been cooking themselves the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: I mean, what can you say about the Jets and this new regime. GM Darren Muji and also head coach Aaron Glenn locking in two foundational pieces, one on each side of the football. Start with Garrett Wilson yesterday and that was the massive news around the NFL being paid a top five receiver. He is one of five receivers in NFL history to start their career in the first three years with over eighty receptions each year and over a thousand yard receiving each year. The difference between Garrett Wilson and those guys hea He's played with.
Speaker 4: Seven different quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Let me say that again, seven different quarterbacks, and yet Garrett Wilson continues to go.
Speaker 4: Out there and produce at a high level.
Speaker 3: And then obviously Sauce Garner, we actually kind of kid ea. We were talking off camera and everybody was wondering what SaaS be the next guy? And obviously you would think same draft class, what he's done his first three years.
Speaker 4: To me, the only question was how much more was he.
Speaker 3: Going to get than Derek Stingley Junior who set the market at thirty million.
Speaker 4: Well he went a little bit above that at thirty point one.
Speaker 3: So also a great job by GM Darren Moojie in the front office to get that deal done with Sauce Garner, a up and rising star at the cornerback position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how about Sauce today taking the social media announcing the deal is done.
Speaker 2: This is only the beginning, He said.
Speaker 1: He appreciated the Jets organization for believing in him, his teammates for the blood, sweat and tears we put in in Jets Nation. He appreciates all them for supporting him. So he's pumped. Bottom line here again, these two guys we're taping Tuesday night. We actually tape Tuesday morning, but we had to scratch that because Sauce's agreement came in later in the afternoon. That neither one of these guys have signed their contracts yet, but all signs are pointing to both Garrett Wilson and Sauce Gardner signing and then they will be part of the New York Jets organization at least until two thousand and thirty.
Speaker 3: I mean again, great to lock in foundational pieces. Ea, the Jets have kind of been synonymous the last couple of years of letting homegrown talent walk out the door.
Speaker 4: Via trade or via free agency.
Speaker 3: We just go down memory lane, right, Jamal Adams talk about Leonard Williams, a guy like Sheldon Richardson, And I know things didn't work out with Sam Donald, but he had his best career year last year and it wasn't in the Jets uniform. So even when you look at a guy like quinnin Williams right, his deal took a little bit. It wasn't until the fourth year. I believe he got his deal done. So I think they're setting a new precedent here with this new regime that if you ball out in your home grown we're gonna take care of you because we want to retain our own homegrown players. And I think free agents looking to come potentially play for the Jets, you like that, right because a team is rewarding a guy that's done it the right way, that's been homegrown, and you're taking care of him before you actually have to. So I think this is a good president that Aaron Glenn and the GM Darren Moodie are setting for the New York Jets, and all signs are pointing it heading to a new direction in regards to taking care of homegrown players a little bit earlier, a little bit earlier than later in their career.
Speaker 1: Quinn Williams got that long term extension after four seasons, Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson getting their long term extensions after.
Speaker 2: Three season, three seasons.
Speaker 1: When you're talking about Gardner, he's gonna turn twenty five in August.
Speaker 2: Garrett Wilson's going to turn.
Speaker 1: Twenty five on report Day, which is July twenty second, So you got to think that, hey, they're off the good starts in their careers, but these guys can actually get better.
Speaker 2: Lejay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we always said when we were playing, like your premium years are usually like twenty four through twenty eight, right, and they're right in the middle of that age range where you see guys really take their game to the next level. And you wonder, you know, with Garrett Wilson and all he's accomplished his first three years, if we can get some consistent quarterback play, could he be in the upper echelon of a top five, top seven receiver? And the NFL people are already talking about Sauce Garner being a top two three corner. Can he solidify yourself because a lot of people or Saint Patrick utan is the number one guy, but can he re establish himself and become that number one dominant corner in the NFL that takes the football away. So when you talk about these guys literally just stepping into their prime, that's literally what they're doing. And just imagine how much better they can get because they're still so young. And now that they know the nuances of the game, some of that veteran mindshift comes in with the athletic ability that each one of these players have.
Speaker 1: How much credit should we give to both men for the way they approach this During the offseason there was a regime change here. We had a lot of the offseason workouts. As you know very well, they're voluntary. Yes, there's a mandatory mini camp in the middle of June, but predominantly.
Speaker 2: Those first three phases are the first two phases. That's all voluntary.
Speaker 1: And those guys were here taking the proper attitude while the negotiations were underway.
Speaker 3: Eyah, I'm so glad you bring that up, because time and time again, I always hear people say for players when new regimes come in, that regime doesn't owe you anything.
Speaker 4: They don't know you.
Speaker 3: Well, the same kid be said for those players talking about that new regime, Like that new regime coming in, those players don't know them. And these two players are already well accomplished. And we talked about Garret Wilson being one of five receivers to put up the numbers he's put up his first three years. Sauce Garter was a two time first team All Pro his first two years. So I get what people say, well that new regime doesn't know about the player, Well, that player doesn't know about the regime as well. So it's a filling out process for both parties, right, because one, when you're a new regime, you want to see what the makeup of the player is. And to your point, neither one of these players had to show up in the off season. They could have been like, I need my new deal or I'm not going to show up. But they wanted to get to know Darren Muji. They wanted to get to know their head coach, Aaron Glenn, and see what they were about. Vice versa the front office in Aaron Glenn. They wanted to get to know Garrett Wilson. They wanted to get to know Sauce Garner. And after the off season they both GM Darren Muji and also Aaron Glenn figured a these are two foundational pieces, like, let's take care of these homegrown guys, even though we just got there. They were drafted by the previous regime, but they're homegrown guys. That's always a good look when you take care of homegrown guys and don't let them out the building. I think again, setting the president of giving them extensions before they actually necessarily had to to your point eight, only after their third season, I think it it bodes well for the trust for the player to the front office, but also it's smart for the front office and the team because if these players keep playing at the trajectory that they're playing, gap those.
Speaker 4: Contacts are only gonna go up.
Speaker 3: So I thought this was great business done on both sides by both the player filling out the new regime in front office, but also the front office understanding these two are foundational pieces.
Speaker 4: Let's lock them in for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: Well, football is a business.
Speaker 1: You played with multiple teams, But how much does this resonate within a lock room to saying, Okay, things are different here right now. The Jets are going about their business differently. So in terms of if I go out, if I go out and show out, if I become a foundational piece myself, they're gonna look to lock me up because they're trying to build this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the business of football.
Speaker 3: You hear they all saying you can't pay everybody, But I will tell you this, EA it resonates in the locker room, how you treat your star players, especially your homegrown star players, Because say you're a guy that you know is on the friends of the roster or even of free agent that sign is coming to sign with the Jets. If you see a team not taking care of their homegrown players, especially when the player has done it the right way, that rings alarm bells, right. And we've seen multiple scenarios across the league with star players not being taken care of by their quote unquote team, and guys look at that and say, I don't know what they're really about over there. Is it truly about winning? Why haven't they taken care of this star guy? I don't know if I want to be a part of that regime. So I think, again, this is a good business by the front office and Darren Muji, the GM, and also Aaron Glenn to take care of these foundational pieces, to let the let the rest of the locker room know if you come in here, do your job, play at a high level, and do things the right way, we're gonna take care of you.
Speaker 4: Now again, there is a business of football. We can't take care of everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we're gonna take care of our foundational star players because we know we got to build it around these type of guys.
Speaker 1: Finally, can you tackle each one of their situations. You're talking about Wilson, who is going to be reunited here with Justin Fields, a guy that he respects so much, and those guys have a personal relationship as well. And you know, the emphasis for the Jets is gonna be running the football. And we talked about it before. What are safety is gonna do now? Because you have to count for Justin Fields. He's averaged fifty yards per game on the ground throughout his career. A couple years back with the Chicago Bears, he reached a thousand yards rushing. He's an electric arm so he's gonna put pressure on you. And then on the other side of the ball, you got Gardner, who has a coaching staff led by Aaron Glenn, who played fifteen years in the National Football League, was a former first round pick who was an elite cornerback himself. Chris Harris, who played in the league at the safety position. You got Dre Blig helping out as well. Bli was outstanding cornerback in his own right. And those guys had talked about, Okay, Aaron has said on the offensive side of the ball, we got to feed Garrett the football. On the defensive side of the ball, these guys are saying, we have to put Sauce in position to make plays, and we're gonna do this. We have full confidence in this guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we'll start with Garrett Wilson, and we kind of alluded to this earlier EA in regards to where Garrett Wilson can take the next steps right first and foremost.
Speaker 4: I think there's something to.
Speaker 3: Be said that this might be the quarterback he's had the most continuity with his entire career, because they go back to their time at Ohio State. I talked about Garrett Wilson accolades being one of five receivers to have over eighty receptions each of his first three years and have over one thousand yards each of his first three years, again with seven different quarterbacks. So you would assume, if there's some continuity at the quarterback position, that Garrett Wilson could tick up to thirteen fourteen, fifteen hundred yards and put himself in that rare era of a top five receiver in the NFL. I mean, I just go back to that catch on Thursday Night football versus Houston Texans, when he's able to box out a defensive back, go up with one arm, pin the ball and then just get enough of this shin down.
Speaker 4: Like again, Garrett Wilson's not the biggest guy, but.
Speaker 3: He's one of the best separators when it comes to being able to separate from defensive backs and his ability to go up and high point the football like he's aggressive with the ball in the air, like if you put in his vicinity, you can go up and get it.
Speaker 4: I barely remember when we drafted him, going back.
Speaker 3: And looking at Ohio State tape with Justin Fields, and he had a circus catch. Literally I think Fields kind of under throw the ball and it seemed like Garrett Wilson jump twenty feet in the air to come back and get the ball and he was able to get one foot down before going out of bounds. That's the type of skill set Garrett Wilson has. So you talked about with the run game that Tanner Ingstrang coming from the Detroit Lions, with this young offensive line plans to have with the three headed monsters of the backs that we have led by Breist Hall and then the running ability of Justin Fields. I think a facet that people aren't talking about enough is when things break down because sometimes the defense just has your number. Justin Fields his strength and also athletic ability not to get out just to run the ball, but to scramble, drill and keep things alive. And then Garrett Wilson being able to uncover, like those could be big plays down the field between Justin Fils and Garrett Wilson. That as a defensive coinator keeps you up at night because even if you have the perfect play call, a guy like Justin Fils and his athletic ability can kill the perfect play call with his ability to get out of trouble with the strength and athletic ability. So to me, the next step for Garrett Wilson is obviously making him the focal point of the offense, but then also him taking that step to being a top five, top seven receiver in the NFL, getting over the sauce Garner. You talked about how the coaching staff and we didn't mention Steve Wooks, who also played in the league, who's been a head coach as well defensive coordinator. They talked about getting him in the right positions. But they've also challenged Sauce Garner and he's told it. He's come out and said it blatantly himself. I got to be better at taking the football away. And we talked about this earlier EA. I had an offensive coordinator tell me once, if we throw at a guy and we know the worst thing that's going to happen as the PBu, we can live with that. The one thing we can't live with is if a guy can turn you over. Right, So, and I know that's what Sauce Garner has kind of hyped on or talked about throughout his first three years, like being that guy that when guys do target him because he doesn't get targeted targeted as much as the other corner opposite of him for good reason.
Speaker 4: He wanted. He's one of the top corners in football.
Speaker 3: But when they do target him and he has a chance to take it away, he's got to make teams play. We talked about earlier two years ago that Dallas Cowboys game that was a potential pick six that could have swung the game in favor of the New York Jets.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So, like game, teams and plays like that for him, I think that's where his next step is so he could solidify himself as the top corner in football. Because even though you don't challenge me often, when you do, I'm going to make you pay.
Speaker 4: For doing it.
Speaker 3: So that, to me is where Sauce Gardner needs to take his next step. He's already one of the best corners in all of football, but to solidify himself as the top guy, he's got to make teams paid when they do try him on the outside.
Speaker 1: It's been a huge twenty four hours for the New York Jets, for Sauce Gardner and for Garrett Wilson, and ultimately those guys are going to be here at One Jets Drive signing their new deals. A lot to celebrate here before training camp begins next week. Let's take a break and then we'll take a look at Camp Gleun. You're ready for all the action and energy of Jets Gain day the season with twenty twenty five Jets season tickets, locking your seats to be there for every snap of exciting matchups at my Life Stadium at and why Jets dot com slash season tickets dudes quickly top storylines heading into camp.
Speaker 3: So I went back and forth on this one. To me, the safety position is a big storyline because who is going to be the incumbent starter next to Andre Cisco. Will it be the guy that's held that position down for two years and Tony Adams, who was an undrafted free agent worked his way up to depth and became a pencil then starter for the New York Deets, Or is it gonna be Mattlecot Moore, a guy that I've heard rave reviews coming out of OTA's in mini camp, A guy that actually played free safety at Alabama, kind of like Andre Cisco, but I think has a skill set that he could play in the box and be a strong safety, kind of like Brian Branch for the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 4: Let's not forget that's.
Speaker 3: Where our head coach, Aaron Glenn came from, and he actually spoke to Brian Branch about Malachi Moore before they traded up to get him on Day two in the draft, and he got the kudos from Brian Branch. I think he could play a similar role that Brian Branch has. Maybe not slot, but he did play some slide of Alabama as well, but maybe put him in the box over some tight ends. Use him to blitz a little bit because he's also a physical tackler as well. And another guy that a lot of people aren't talking about, Isaiah Oliver. I think you mentioned this earlier.
Speaker 4: EA.
Speaker 3: Him and Steve Folks have a pass together from their time in San fran and Isaiah Oliver has been a viable piece that you can play at safety at the stock corner position, So maybe he feeds into that competition at the other starting safety as well. That'd be to me one of the most intriguing camp battles. Who starts opposite of Andre Cisco?
Speaker 2: Who's going to be a third linebacker? Here? No more CJ.
Speaker 1: Mosley, your last two MVP's Quinty Williams, and then Jamie Sherwood who replaced Mosley. Great job by Darren mooe aching him to a three year deal at the start of free agency. But I got my eyes when the Jets are actually playing in a four to three and they got the three linebackers, Who's going to be the third.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And for the longest we never had to worry about that because Jamien Sherwood was the third guy behind the captain.
Speaker 4: CJ. Mosey and Quincy Williams.
Speaker 3: So now that Sherwood has solidified himself as the mike linebacker, you have Quincy Williams there, who's going to be that Jamien Sherwood, And to me, it's probably gonna come down to Jamon Davis or Zaire Barnes. Zier was drafted a few years ago. It's been a really good special teams player. He's gotten a few reps here and there, and I think it all depends on as they go through this training camp, who does the coaching staff feel more comfortable with, Because to me, Zaira is a more athletic guy that can help you out coverage. He's a run hit guy, where Jamon Davis is more of a first and second down guy. If you're going to be in some twelve personnel or jumbo package with an extra offensive lineman, Jamon Davis may be a better fit as that third linebacker, right they might put him on the edge to set the edge. I know they did a lot of times in those three linebacker sets with Quincy and they had Jamien in the middle, I mean Surewood in the middle so I could see, you know, Steve Wilkes and also Aaron Glynn potentially doing that depending on the personnel we're playing against. If it's a twelve personnel just one back, two tight end, maybe Zaire Byrne Barnes gets the nod in that package. But maybe if it's a jumbo offensive line, which we knew the divisional foe, the Buffalo Bills like to run often, they bring in that offensive extra offensive lineman. Maybe Jamien Jamon Davis is the guy that comes in and starts in that scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Davis is a former first round pick, and make no mistake about it, Wilts likes running nickel. The Jets have a guy who's on a mission in Michael Carter the second Let's move up to the defensive line quickly. Quinn Williams is going to have new neighbors next to him at the defensive tackle position. The Jets have a number of bodies. Will McDonald came back in fantastic shape. He had double digit sacks last year. Two guys, two spots you can touch upon, though, Jermaine Johnson, how do you go about setting his timetable? Because he could start camp on the pup list. The Jets have Week one in mind. They want to make sure, Jermaine's getting after his former teammate and Aaron Rodgers. And also you're looking at that third spot, aren't you as far as thatdge.
Speaker 3: Position, Yeah, because you got to have three solid edge guys going into the season that you can trust, because that third edge guy is going to take at least forty to forty five percent of the snaps throughout the season. Right, And let's go back to year two for Jermaine Johnson, and it was Carl Lawson that was banged up in camp, which gave Jermaine Johnson an opportunity to be the guy that he ended up being in being a pro bowler, and nobody could block him throughout that training camp. So if Jermaine were to start on pupp it's a really good opportunity for a guy like Tyler Baron that they took in the draft.
Speaker 4: Michael Clemens is still there as well.
Speaker 3: Right, you talk about McGregor being there, Watts Rashad Weaver, like, this is an opportunity for a guy to step up and say, coach, I'm a guy that you can trust and put in scenarios to potentially start for us, start for us. If Jermaine or even will McDonald get banged up, like, I'm your guy you can trust in. So to me, that's an intriguing camp battle as well to see who's going to be the third guy. We don't know if Jermaine is going to actually start on the pupp or not. If he does, it's a real opportunity for some of those guys that I just mentioned to step up and stake their claim as the third defensive end and maybe even a spot starter for the Justice season.
Speaker 1: Offensively, Garrett Wilson, who got the bag, is one of the best wideouts of football. A lot of people have been talking about in regards to the Jets, who's going to be the number two receiver. But me and you have had this conversation multiple times of late, and you're actually focused a little bit more on the tight end position because you're thinking that Tanner Angstrand, who was a passing game coordinator in Detroit where they had the emphasis with the run game, where they ran multiple backs at you, they could employ a lot of multiple tight nd sets here with Jeremy Rucker, Mason Taylor, who was taken in the second round on LSU and also a pickup their free agency with Stone Smart, a young player who can get vertical on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: You got to understand him coming from the Ben Johnson tree, and they love twelve personnel, which is one back to two tight ends.
Speaker 4: Brock Right was a guy.
Speaker 3: As matter of fact, they tendered him, another team tried to offer him a deal, and they gave him an extension because they didn't want him to walk out the building. And then they drafted Sam Laporter. So they love their two tight end sets because not only do they stretch you horizontally, but they'll stretch you vertically off the play action with that, so I could see Mason Taylor. I know people are talking about who's gonna be the number two receiver? Could it be Mason Taylor? Mason Taylor could be the number two option on the outside as well. Could you use Stone Smart and Jeremy Rucker and some of those you know, heavy play action passes getting him down the scene on a linebacker or a safety. I think that is something that we should watch throughout training camp because there's something they implored in Detroit as well. We're getting back to the number two receiver spot, right, is it gonna be Josh renos Alan Lazard is still there. You still have gifts in there as well. Tyler Johnson, Like which one of these guys is gonna step up to Garret Wilson because he's gonna get a boatload of attention, which means that other guy's gonna get a lot of one on one coverage and they have a real opportunity on that backside to make plays. And it's gonna come down to who the coaching staff trust, but more importantly, who does justin Field's trust, Like, you gotta have that continuity between receiver and quarterback. And if I know Garrett Wilson is getting bracketed or double team, I know I can trust it.
Speaker 4: This guy on the backside, he's gonna win his one on one.
Speaker 3: So that'll be intriguing to watch as well as Camp you know goes along who kind of separates himself as a number two receiver. But going back to what you said he I would be on the lookout for more twelve personnel, one back, two tight ends, and look out for Mason Taylor because he can really stretch teams vertically. I think he didn't do a lot at LSU, but he has a skill set.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 3: Every time they gave him the ball, he would break a tackle and then try to punish a corner of safety trying to get into the end zone.
Speaker 1: I love that the Jets obviously offensive line has been an emphasis here every step along the way. The first draft pick in the Mujie Aaron Glenn regime number seven overall, Ermann Mambu out of Missouri. You have circled the Jets joint practices here with the Giants because this line that is awfully talented, that has increased its depth big time, is gonna face one of the better defensive line in football.
Speaker 2: When you look at what the Giants have.
Speaker 3: Talk about a litmus test right as far as your first time practicing against another color. Not only is it a crosstown rival, but it's probably a top five defensive line in all of football. We talked about Brian Spider Spider Burns being on the outside, Dexter Lawrence, who a lot of people consider the best d tackle in football. Right now, they drafted Darius Alexander Kavon Thibodeaux. Right They also took up Dual Carter in.
Speaker 2: The first round.
Speaker 3: People also forget Chauncey Golston. They paid him this offseason, so they're going to have a boatload of rushers coming at the Jets offensive line. So it'll be a great litanus test for the Justice. See where they're at about three weeks into training camp as they prepare uh and I'm not sure do they play the Giants right after that that cross practice they do?
Speaker 2: They got the two practices, so they got yep, that's right.
Speaker 3: So that'll be a good litanus tests for them, not only that week there's two practices versus Giants, but then also playing them in the game. Because for this offensive young, young offensive line, again, nobody's older than twenty seven. I Beiek Simpsons is the twenty seven year old. The average age is twenty four years old on head offensive line, which not a lot of teams can say in the NFL like this is a great litanus test. It's one of the young, refreshing, hungry offensive lines to face that Ferosi's defensive line from the New York Giants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Passionate and Abdul Carter are gonna think they're back at Penn State when they're facing each ow they're at practice, and then you might see Burns go against Membo and by the way, Mambo's getting great work out here at one Jets Drive each day because he's facing a guy in McDonald who's got freakish ben and he came back at two hundred and fifty and he's trying to set the edge better, be more of a powerful presence, and the coaches have been really encouraged by him.
Speaker 3: And to your point, him and Ryan Burns have a similar skill set with their athletic ability and frame as well too. Their freakishly athletic can bend like a hula hoop like getting around the edge again, freakish athletic. So I think Mimbo getting that work against McDonald will only aid him when he gets ready to play a guy like Burns Burns in that cross practice and even getting ready for week one, when you see a guy like Alex Heismith and potentially a TJ.
Speaker 4: Watt as well.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break and we'll come back with our extra point game day and everyday score a Drury touchdown with Kendra Scott. Shot Fashion and the Drooy Fit for another winning season at your local store or Kendrascott dot com. Shine Bright Do Good with Kendrick Scott Dude's time for our extra point. Can you give us a break out candidate for the Jetstern training camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were talking about this earlier. Who's gonna step up and be the third defensive end. I think it's gonna be the draft pick from Miami and Tyler bearon the defensive end. To me, he has a little bit of Jermaine Johnson in his bag. When I went back and watched his tape again after we drafted the Jets drafted him, I saw the physicality at Jermaine place with right. I saw the elite effort that Jermaine plays with, and then also the ability to kick inside. Let's not forget a lot of times they were kicking Jermaine inside and some of those spinner packages two years ago, and I could see them potentially maybe doing that again. Tyler Barron has that skill set to potentially rush inside next to Quinn Williams on third down as well. Also, you think Leonard Taylor would factor into some of that as well. But I think Tyler Baron is a guy to keep an eye on because somebody needs to separate from the pack and be that third guy that the coaching staff can trust down in and down out. I believe Tyler Baron could be one of those guys.
Speaker 1: I'm going Mason Tayler, the second round pick out of LSU, the most productive by you bangle at the tight end position. A natural mover, he is great hands, a good feel for working those zones. And what I saw on the spring dudes is this guy could be an instant red zone.
Speaker 4: Threat, oh without a doubt.
Speaker 3: And the thing is at LSU, that's where they used him a lot, Like his target share went significantly higher in the red zone. We talked about how I felt like they could use him vertically down the seams.
Speaker 4: They didn't do that a lot of LSU, a lot of RPOs.
Speaker 3: They would give him some flare outs and then he would just make guys miss and take it the distance. But in the red zone that's where that trust between him and the quarterback really ticked up. And I think when you look at Justin Fields in this history with Cole Comet in the red zone, I think Mason Taylor could be that guy for him, that safety blanket where he feels comfortable putting it anywhere in Mason Taylor's vicinity and it can come down with the football.
Speaker 1: And final point, I'm really pumped to see Justin Fields because again this is the third team and three seasons, fourth offensive coordinator in five years. But he just has a commiss about him, a poise about him. He's also in an electric, dynamic athlete who can get it done with his arm and his legs. And I think he really is starting to feel at home from the get When you're talking about Aaron Glenn saying, hey, listen, we are going to surround you with people, we are going to put you in position to be succeed, he knows, dudes, this is his team right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's the biggest thing, right you talk about the maturation of Justin Fields, just talking to people that followed him in Chicago, real quiet guy, not a row rock guy.
Speaker 4: Didn't say much, but I think.
Speaker 3: He's even in interview if he's come out and said he's been a little bit more vocal here with the New York Justin. I think first and foremost that comes with comfortability, right one. When the coaching staff in front off is say you're the starter bar none, You're the guy that we're believing it. We're gonna surround you with talent and then two, comfortability with knowing guys on the team. We talked about his relationship with Gary Wilson, going back to Ohio State.
Speaker 4: Josh Myers was the center at Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Germany Rutger was there, so you got three guys that he's very comfortable with going back to his college days. Like this is probably the most comfortable he's felt since probably maybe year one at Chicago, because even when he got to year two and three, people were always talking about the Chicago Bear is going to take a new quarterback out of the Chicago Bear's going to take a new quarterback. Well, this is the first time where he knows it's his team and he is the entrance starter. Because even going back to Pittsburgh last year, literally when they signed him, it was Russell Wilson's team. Russell ended up getting banged up and Justin Fields led them to the a four and two record, But even then, Russell Wilson was.
Speaker 4: In starting back into the starting lineup.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's hard to be a leader more vocally when you kind of don't know where you fit in. But I feel like Justin Fields finally feels like this is finally my team, Like I can be a little bit more vocal. I can, you know, let my hair down a little bit, be more of myself. And he talked about it like when he gets going, the offense gets going. When he has energy out there, the offense has energy out there. So I just think that's the maturation of Justin Fields going into his fifth year, understanding that I finally have a team that has backed me and I'm going to be their guy. And I'm comfortable with some of the playmakers on my side of the ball because I have history with them already. All that bodes well for leadership, not only just showing guys what to do, but also being vocal about it as well.
Speaker 1: A great job today, But you know what, vacation is overdues.
Speaker 2: We'll see up here soon.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to get up there.