Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show. Good morning, everybody, Happy Thursday. We have an amazing show for everybody today. What do we have, Crystal, Indeed we do.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of post debate reaction to bring you, including from former President Trump kind of having a bit of a meltdown on Fox and Friends and also indicating he may not be interested in another debate, even when hosted by Fox News hosts, So we'll bring you all of that. We also have some voter reaction after the debate, the post debate polls, and RFK Junior being a little surprisingly honest about some of Trump's shortcomings during the debates. So we've got all of that where You've also got a panel we're excited to talk to you about the Taylor Swift endorsement, whether or not it won't matter. And also a conversation we have been wanting to have for a while about the massive gen Z gender gap, So we got two young folks to come on.
Speaker 3: Two gen zs.
Speaker 1: It's right a Democrat or Republican to talk about what they think is going on there, So that should be an interesting conversation. We also wanted to take a look at this massive case against Google, another anti trust case against Google, what it could mean for the tech giant. And also a really disturbing conflict of interest between the lead lawyer for Google is actually a top advisor, So a lawyer for Google against the government, the DOJ, the federal government is also a top advisor to Kamala Harris. So some deep concerns there about just that reality and what it might mean for her and her approach to anti trust cases were she to win the presidency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how that comes out.
Speaker 2: Now, before we get to that, thank you to all of our premium subscribers and those who signed up during the debate stream to ask some questions.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So we want to participate in future AMA which are weekly and they drop exclusively for premiums on locals. You can go ahead and sign up at breakingpoints dot com to get.
Speaker 3: Access to those exclusive ams.
Speaker 2: But as Crystal said, let's go ahead and start with Donald Trump and his post debate reaction kind of been all over the place and what he's acquiescing to you or not will he do another debate?
Speaker 3: He's trying to tease it.
Speaker 2: He went to familiar territory on Fox and Friends, and Fox and Friends of course, was trying to massage his ego a little bit around the debate. But he kind of even shocked them when they were like, well, oh, it's okay you could do a debate here on Fox, right, mister President, And He's like, well, maybe I actually don't like some of the moderators that you guys would have.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen to what Trump had to say.
Speaker 4: And I know that last night Fox News offered sent letters to your campaign and her campaign offering three dates of debates moderated by Martha and Brett. One is October ninth in Arizona.
Speaker 5: Well, I wouldn't want to have Mauthor and Brett. I'd love to have somebody else other than Martha and Brett. I'd love to have Frankly Sean or Jesse, Laura, Uh, you know somebody else. Let's give Let's give other people the shot. But I didn't think Martha and Brett were good last night. Jesse was. Jesse was fantastic last night. What he said, Jesse really got it. Jesse said Trump won that debate. That was, we won that debate by a lot. Now I wouldn't want Matha involved, Okay, I would, mister prest. I would take some others.
Speaker 4: So these are the dates that Fox offered your campaign in Harris's campaign. October ninth in Arizona, October fifteenth in Georgia, October sixteenth in North Carolina. Of course, the big question is would you want the microphones on when when you're not you know, when the other person is talking. You want both microphones on at all times.
Speaker 5: Well, she wanted a moment like she did with Mike Pence. But I actually got that moment too. I won that too, because she was talking while I was speaking quite a bit. Actually, she didn't know that people weren't listening too much or hear but I was hearing her and I had little fun with that. But look, here's the story when two fighters fight and one loses, the first thing they do is ask for a debate, or they asked for a fight, so in this case, the debate. So we had two people they lost very badly. The first thing they did is ask for a debate, because that's what when a fighter loses, he says, I want to rematch. I want to rematch, say always the losing person, the fighter, the debater, they always ask for a rematch. I won the debate according to c Span by a lot, according to every single I think we had fourteen polls that we said to you, everyone had me winning the debate. So I don't want to do another debate. R.
Speaker 4: So you do right at the end, as I was interrupting, so you don't know if you want to do another debate. It sounds like you're a no.
Speaker 5: Well, I'd be less inclined to because we had a great night. We won the debate. We had a terrible a terrible network. I think they were terrible and they should be in embarrassed. I mean, they kept correcting me, and what I said was largely right, or I hope it was right, but what they said was absolutely wrong. The other you know what she said and they refused to correct I even complained a couple of times, why aren't you correcting them? Look, they should have corrected six or seven times. She told it outright, Lie another one who's Project twenty twenty five. They know it has nothing to do with me. She mentioned it all night long, and they refuse to correct it, and everybody, I haven't. I have nothing to do with Project twenty twenty. I was just what they did. But I am not inclined to do it because I want the debate by a lot. But I think we let it settle in and let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So that was completely unedited, so you guys a'll get the entire context of that.
Speaker 3: Trump is.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, he's flailing a little bit here. He's like, he doesn't know if he wants to do the Fox debate. He's asking for these moderators who he doesn't even like. The Brett Bayer and Martha McCowan. By the way, Brett and Martha were on the host election analysis. That's what he's upset about. Yes, and they were like, hey, I don't think that Trump, you know, did all that well or I don't even know if they gave opinion analysis. From what I saw, they were accurately pointing out that he was taking debate or they were covering snap polling that showed that people who watched the debate generally did not think he did all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so botch news outside of voter panel, which overwhelmed me.
Speaker 3: Underside of voter panel and Brit Hume.
Speaker 2: I mean, these people are not, like, you know, liberals, right, So anyway he was reacting to that, that was just.
Speaker 1: A small point, like how humiliating and embarrassing for you not to stand up for your colleagues. I was like, I just I mean, it's kind of outrageous, Like there he is smearing Martha McCallum and bare which whatever you think about him, Like these are your colleagues that you work with, and you're just like sit there and take I don't know, it's just it's kind of.
Speaker 6: Kind of low.
Speaker 1: And then it's so pathetic he wants the debate to be hosted by Sean Hannity or Josey Waters.
Speaker 6: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Like that is an absolute absurdity. So look, you honestly called it right after the debate. You're like, I don't know if do another one, and you know, he certainly he doesn't know if he's going to do another one either, which I think is foolish on his part. I think he should because I think it's unlikely that you would have another outcome that was so lopsided as this one was. I think if you did it again, you would likely have He probably would prepare better. You know, this time he clearly didn't take her seriously, fell into every single trap, you know, completely forgot about what message he was supposed to be delivering until like the last five minutes of the debate. That's unlikely to repeat itself. But you know, I think he just can't handle the risk of being humiliated.
Speaker 3: I would flip it onto Kamala too.
Speaker 2: I mean, what is the likelihood that she worked rise to the occasion again, It's not actually that high. We've seen her do multiple repeat performances usually doesn't go all that well.
Speaker 3: So if you this was her best.
Speaker 1: This was the better likely to have a reversion to the mean for her and reversion to the meme for him, which would be an improved performance.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what I would.
Speaker 2: I would I would demand a couple of more debates just to keep her off of her toes.
Speaker 3: Maybe the moderators won't be so favorable this time. Who knows.
Speaker 2: You can try any you can inject all kinds of chaos into it. You want to increase that likelihood. But clearly he's feeling on the ropes. He continues to tease whether he's going to do it or not. Here he was yesterday asking answering a question about the debate.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen, and you're looking at it.
Speaker 7: But you know, when you win, you don't really necessarily have to do it a second time. You know, we'll see, But we had a I know we had a great debate. Listen, thank you very much. We need to change for you to agree to a second date. Would you want different rules? Would you want to do a format? Well, you know, when you when you don't win, it's like.
Speaker 5: A fighter, when a fighter is a man, fight gets knocked out or loses the fight.
Speaker 7: The first thing he says is we want to rematch. So we won the debate, according to every pole, every single pole, I think that are we going to do a rematch? I just don't know, but we'll think about it. Would you still do the one on ABC? You got in September twenty even you'd propose that, and are you still I would do NBC. I do Fox too. I do Fox too. But right now we have to deman whether or not we wanted to do. We had a great night last night, and you see by the ball numbers, it was really fantastic. Thank you very much, everybody.
Speaker 3: All Right, so there you go.
Speaker 2: We're sticking with the fighter analogy. Let's put this up there on this I love.
Speaker 6: I was like, yeah, I do NBC, but I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: I want to decide that that might be one of the most classic trump isms of all time. Let's put this up there just so everybody understands. The first numbers for the debate are absolutely massive. Revised now currently up to some fifty seven point seventy five million viewers as of this morning, it's actually passed sixty million, according to Nielsen. And that is just the people who watch it on terrestrial television. So if you add in the what tens maybe you know, probably yeah, tens of millions who watched it on YouTube, Twitter or anywhere else, then we're talking. You know, some are almost half of the entire voting age public watched the debate.
Speaker 3: Which happened on Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: That's actually a problem for Trump because more people watch the debate with Kamala and Trump then watch the debate of Trump versus Biden. Now, I think there's a lot to be said about that. It's not just enthusiasm, it was the level of interest. People were bored and mostly fed up with the election ahead of that debate. That debate, Yeah, Biden's drop out really invigorated, but not only a lot of Democrats, but it made the race more interesting, which is why a lot of people came to this. But that's part of why Trump does need to do more debates. You can't let that be the only lasting impression in voter's minds going into the election. The obvious though for him, you know, there's downside risk if he were to have a similar performance, and he's doing well enough in the polls, he probably thinks he could just stick to his current strategy.
Speaker 3: On Kamali's side, clearly she has the incentive.
Speaker 2: She's already asked for another debate, perhaps the NBC News debate, but at the very least thinks the risk would be worth it of where she is currently. I mean, I don't think the race is fundamentally changed. Yet we haven't seen any polling or any of that to indicate it. But anytime some seventy million people out of one hundred and fifty million people who can vote are watching something, it's you know, it's going to have some impact. I don't really know exactly what it is that's said. I mean, I'll give the boat bear in the bowl case. The bowl case would be Trump allegedly lost all debates according to opinion polls against Hillary.
Speaker 3: Clinton obviously won that election.
Speaker 2: Biden, according to the polls that came out at the time, won the debate again Donald Trump, and he barely won that election. So you know, it's not like this is make or break. But I wouldn't let it be the very last impression, is the only thing I would say, especially when things are so tight. Yeah, you don't want to let every you don't want to want to let even a marginal you know, risk like that come to affect her overall performance. Because what if that is the last impression that people have and Kamma and her campaign can just run ads, you know, showing that all for the next couple of months, fifty something days until the election. There's too much risk out there, I think for him to not do another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it could actually be make or break because if you think about the margin in twenty sixteen and you think about the margin in twenty twenty in terms.
Speaker 6: Of the if you look at the electoral college.
Speaker 1: Numbers, it looks like a landslide kind of in both times. But we know, if you look at the number of votes that separated Hillary Clinton from Donald Trump, it was very narrowly that she lost in these key battle ground stations, so he won the popular vote. And then in twenty twenty, again, you know, very narrow victory for Joe Biden. That's just the reality of the country. It's very likely to be just as close, if not even somehow a little bit closer this time around. So yeah, does it like, you know, shift the poles by ten points. No, but we're talking about a race where if you move the poles permanently by half a point, that could be the difference between winning all the swing states and losing all the swing states. So, you know, the other question in my mind is you'll recall, before Joe Biden got out of the race, he was just basically delusional about what the polls showed, and his advisors were shielding him from any negative data, and so he was really convinced that whatever polls had him down, which was like all of them, that they were not real. And in reality, if you look at these like few cherry picked national polls that ignored the battleground states, he was still within the margin of error or whatever. So he was delusional about his standing, and he was surrounded with a bunch of yes men who did not want to upset him, and so cherry picked the data that would keep him happy. I wonder if Trump has a similar level of delusion where he may not really understand the reality of where the race is, or he may, you know, based on his track record in twenty sixteen twenty twenty of outperforming the polls, just assume that that's going to happen again. And maybe it does, but that is not a safe assumption whatsoever, especially given that in the mid terms they undercounted the Democratic Party support. So you know, he may be making strategic miscalculations based on a flawed understanding of where he his position is in this race at this point. With regard to Kamala Harris, Yeah, they came out right away and were like, hey, let's do it again. But you know, you could see them that you could see them putting forward some debate criteria that they kind of know is like a poison pill for Trump, like that maybe he should accept, like, you know, an NBC News debate with whoever whatever moderators are picked for that network to perform, but that they feel pretty confident he's not going to pick, so that they can have the illusion of strength of like, look, we wanted to do it, and he's the one that backed down, but without really having a full intention to do it again.
Speaker 6: Because listen from her perspective.
Speaker 1: Frankly, I think the strategic calculus is it's probably better just to let this one ride and not take the risk of a bad debate moment closer to election day. So you know, I think there's a lot of there's a lot of gameplay playing going on here.
Speaker 3: Of course, I can see it both ways.
Speaker 2: I will say, in fairness, Trump has always been surrounded by stick of fans who tell him whatever he wants. Here, It's not like it's actually a thing all that different than how things usually go.
Speaker 1: I mean, Laura Lumer is not telling him the straight truth Sager.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's shocking.
Speaker 2: Maybe she is, yes, certainly something to her on that campaign plane. Well, CNN's Harry Anton, she usually does a pretty good job. We relied on him in the past for some good analysis. He generally will tell it straight, I think in terms of how tied things are Trump's favorability and more so, he had an interesting analysis here in terms of who allegedly won pass debates and the margins.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen first.
Speaker 8: Debate winner margins. Look at that she won by a twenty six point margin, nearly matching Trump's margin over Biden back in June when he won by thirty four points, very similar to Joe Biden's margin of over Donald Trump back in twenty of thirty two points, and significantly higher than the twenty sixteen margin that Hillary Clinton had over Donald Trump in their first debate just thirteen points. But the bottom line here is debate watchers and they actually leaned a little bit more Republican than the nation as a whole, believed that Kamala Harris easily easily won this debate. Again, the scientific term is she crushed former President Donald Trull. Right, take a look at the last four times we had a first debate, and look at those winners see a rise in the polls. Yes, Romney in twenty twelve, Hillary Clinton twenty sixteen, Joe Biden twenty twenty, and Donald Trump earlier this year. They all saw rises in the polls of two points or more. And given how close this race is, naturally, given how close it is in the swing states, do not be surprised if Kamala Harris jumps out to a lead nationally, and don't be surprised if she jumps out to a slight small lead in those key battleground states. It should still probably be a close race based upon history.
Speaker 3: So he's predicting a bump there.
Speaker 2: Nate Silver was a little bit more equivocal in the analysis that I read. He's like, look, she did everything she needed to do, but we didn't see necessarily a bump come out for her from the convention.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know, the convention is going to be.
Speaker 2: A little bit noisy, just because that was at the very same time that RFK Junior also dropped out of the race, which was going to have an impact, especially on the margins.
Speaker 3: There's no way to know really what happened.
Speaker 2: Obviously, this time around, you can't expect, you know, literally something as much of a gift like that.
Speaker 3: So we just don't know where things will stand here.
Speaker 2: I just think generally, when I look at the number and I see that level, I mean actually think this is not necessarily a decent thing for Trump. High level of specific engagement in this it's not necessarily good. It was good whenever it was against Biden because against Biden, low information, low engagement voters were much more pro Trump. But this time around, I mean Democratic watch parties. This is purely anecdotal, but there were no Biden signs where I live, even though all those people were going to vote for Biden. But the It's quote about Madam time or bat dictatorship bad twenty twenty four signs.
Speaker 3: The Libs are full force.
Speaker 2: They've got banners, their windows are dressed, they are ready to roll. The fundraising numbers haven't come out yet from Kamala. I'm willing to bet it's an absolute monster. I'm not going to say Trump isn't going to raise money as well, but you know, just the disparity of the engagement right now, betting on high turnout is not necessarily one that I would say would have been good for Trump, even though I would say that two months ago, this time around, we do know those liberal voters, specifically people who were very activated by Row versus Wade, the high level engagement. They beat the hell out of Republicans back in twenty twenty two, and they were a huge reason why they overperformed expectations. So those high numbers and the high level of certific engagement this time around, I think it might actually be a bad sign.
Speaker 3: For Trump right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's a good point. We showed before.
Speaker 1: The voter registration data, which is just like among typically democratic leaning groups, has shot through the roof since Kamala Harris was you know, since Biden was replaced with Kamala Harris. We're going to talk in the Taylor Swift blog about how she appears to have driven some voter registration as well. Now that's very excited about that too. And I would just say, you know, this debate definitely permeated the popular consciousness, like there's no doubt about it that, you know, judging by the conversations that were happening at my kid's soccer practices among people who are not particularly political, who have never who I've never actually said any heard anything political come out of them before, and they're wanting to talk about leg what about that dogs and cats situation? So and that was definitely that was probably the moment that stuck the most in people's minds, just because it was so absurd and outlandish and really captured, you know, the way that Trump was totally off the rails, and also the way that Kamala was able to throw him so severely off his game for you know, after the first maybe fifteen twenty minutes of the debate, where she just really took control. So, you know, between the massively high ratings and the fact that in the you know, the aftermath, all these clips are circulating, They're on TikTok, they're on Twitter, they're everywhere, people are chattering about it. I think it was a significant event and I think it could have a significant and lasting impact. And when I say significant, I mean like one point. You know, I think she'll probably get a couple points. Like I said before, I think she'll probably return to you know, where she was where she was up nationally pretty clearly by a few points, where she had a little bit more of a lead in the battleground states. I think we'll probably were turn to that, which is still basically a coin flip election.
Speaker 6: But you know, again, just.
Speaker 1: Those little bit of shifts, if she's able to maintain, really matter.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The one word of caution that I'll sound for Kamala Harris is she really we talked, We talked about this. Her strategy was very much, let me get under his skin, let me remind people of who Donald Trump is and some of his worst qualities that people were sick and tired of, and that's why they tossed him out in twenty twenty. She had another job that the voters wanted to see her do, which was to really fill in the blanks about who she is, how she would govern, what her priorities are. You know, what is the Day one agenda? That part she really still left very empty. You know, it was not a major focus of She talked some about policies, but the major focus was more about let me get under Trump's skin. And so that New York Times Siana pole that showed, you know a lot of voters want to know more about her. I don't know that she fully answered those questions. And so while she certainly burnished her credibility in terms of being presidential, being able to go toe to toe with him, you know, sort of like filling the shoes, and people being able to envision her in the role. I don't think she still has answered those questions about well, who are you really and who are you really going to govern as? And you know, so she still has work to do to define herself. That means that there's still an opening for Trump to be able to define her in the way that he wants to but completely failed to do at this debate, And obviously time is relatively.
Speaker 3: Short at this point.
Speaker 2: As a very important point, there was a New York Times story where they were like, some undecided voters weren't necessarily sure.
Speaker 3: And they picked up exactly on what you said.
Speaker 2: They were like, hey, look, yeah, you definitely did better against Trump, but what are you actually going to do?
Speaker 3: I still don't know that much about you.
Speaker 2: She's got a pretty major campaign schedule going into the weekend. Apparently you know now that we have after nine eleven, Trump is also hitting it. He's going to be in Tucson, Harris will hold a rally in Charlotte, North Carolina. I think we're learning a lot about that hours later, shall fly to Greensboro. Second rally in the states of tube rallies in the state of North Carolina.
Speaker 3: It is fascinating just to see that.
Speaker 2: I would never would have thought that North Carolina could be a tipping point, but you know, not would have necessarily thought that Arizona would be a Democratic state that could go blue in twenty twenty. Like I've said, the migration data makes a very good case for North Carolina and for the exact type of residents that COMMA could activate that have all moved probably more than one hundred thousand people or so. On top of you got unfavorable dynamics at the state level, you got a Democratic governor. So I could see that I could see that being the case, and it's clearly what they think is their path two seventy is very different than Biden. But the risk is still exactly what you said, especially to in the state of Pennsylvania. I mean, the fact is that things are just so tight and so locked there for fifty to fifty that I'm very cures where that undecided voter profile of who wants to learn more whether that was enough for them to eventually come out, Because as long as they still see her tied to Biden.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest problem that she's Yeah. Thanks.
Speaker 1: It's perplexing to me because the policies she initially laid down in particular, are really popular, and they're kind of a no brainer. You know, the price gouging stuff super popular and obviously gets at this question of prices that people are continue to be very concerned about. The housing assistance really popular, getting prescription drug prices down really popular, child tax credit, paid family leave, like there's a very popular agenda there that she rolled out with some fanfare and seems to have been kind of scared off of. I mean, they really have retreated into this much more like Biden feeling let me cater to the center and not really say anything, not really promise anything direction, which is you know, classic Democrat and is part of why you know, they come so to losing elections or do lose elections. So I don't know why she has gotten I don't know why she's gotten shy about talking about that and making real like, here's my top three priorities.
Speaker 6: Do dot dot. It wouldn't be a hard thing to do. It wouldn't have been a hard.
Speaker 1: Thing to put that into the debate in the mix with her baiting of Donald Trump. But again, it feels like they've just fallen back into this sort of like very Biden Esque rut. And look, it might be enough Biden one, the press did well running that way in the midterms, and so maybe they're looking at that and they're like, look, this was a winning strategy two times in a row.
Speaker 6: Why we screw with it?
Speaker 1: And I guess there's something to that, But you know, they certainly seem to be going more after the like Nikki Hayley voter, certainly than trying to further energize and further turnout young, more progressive voters and especially voters who are you know, also disgusted with the war on.
Speaker 6: The people of Gaza.
Speaker 1: So in any case, just some risks there going forward, and we can go ahead and take a look at at the polling data and where things stand. So some of the networks did some little snap polling after the debate. Some of them did some focused groups of undecided voters to see what they thought instantly after the debate. Let's take a listen to a little bit of what CNN's undecided voter panel had to say, who do you think won?
Speaker 9: By a show of hands? Former President Trump two, I'll get it four, but tentative two over there? What about Vice President Harris More hands? For those of you who thought this debate could be determinative, how many of you have made up your minds based on what you saw tonight on stage in Philadelphia?
Speaker 3: Raise your hands all right?
Speaker 9: I want to ask you why.
Speaker 10: I think it's important to remember that we are voting for the leader of our country and not who we like the most or who we want in our wedding party, but who's actually going to make our country better. And we're in an incredibly unique situation where we've had both of the candidates in office before and we've gotten to see what they would do, and when facts come to facts, my life was better when Trump was in office. The economy was higher, inflation was lower, things were better overall. And now with Kamala's administration, things haven't been so fantastic.
Speaker 6: And she's saying she can fix the problems that her administration has caused. But I just don't know if I can afford to take that risk.
Speaker 9: Were you leaning towards the former president coming.
Speaker 3: In to night, probably?
Speaker 9: And did you a for him in twenty sixteen or twenty twenty, I did so.
Speaker 6: She had been a previous Trump voter.
Speaker 1: She was leaning towards him but undecided on this CNN voter panel. So you have, on the one hand, overwhelmingly people like Gomulo one, but at least one voter raising some concerns about the question Trump should have made at the core of his debate performance, which is, are you better off now than you were forty Yeah?
Speaker 2: And this is a debate I have with Trump people all the time. It's always like, let Trump beat Trump and all of that, and I go, well, look, Trump has been Trump, and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Speaker 3: Overwhelmingly.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is part of the issue is you do hear from a lot of people like that woman who are like, I like the policies.
Speaker 3: He pisses me off.
Speaker 2: Someone described him to me as an ugly plumber with a massive ass crack, but a guy who does a really good job, and so you just have to look away. You got to look away from the crack and you just let the man fix the pipes. And I was like, you know, that is a very act way that a lot of people think about Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: That one stuck with me for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that that what Trump can do sometimes is like I remember his very first date of the Union, he was acting presidential.
Speaker 3: Every once in a while he'll do I think it was when George H. W. Bush died.
Speaker 2: You know, he was like shockingly silent for like two weeks and everyone couldn't believe it. Every once in a while when he does that, his brutal rating actually does take up quite a bit.
Speaker 3: People have a lot of funness for.
Speaker 2: The Trump era, at least in terms of their personal finances, and the more that he could remind them of that and not of chaos, he'd be better. One piece of analysis I saw, which was really spot on, is and I'm wondering if you agree, did not seem like Trump was the incumbent in that debate. Everything was about him or things that were controversies around him. It's like he's been out of office for four years. Yeah, the best he could have done was to be like, no, no, no, I'm not in office. I'm running to get back into office to run against the chaos of the Kamala Biden administration. And so that's another thing where I think he really screwed up and missed the opportunity to win over people like her, because there's a lot more others like her who probably went the other way.
Speaker 3: You know, I.
Speaker 1: Rewatched some of the debate, and the first fifteen minutes or so before she really gets under his.
Speaker 6: Skin, he's pretty unmissage.
Speaker 3: He was good.
Speaker 1: You know, he's getting the better of the of the exchanges. She's a little nervous, clearly at the very beginning. And then once she said that thing about his rallies, it was over. Like the mind was like wiped clean, and everything that he had practiced and planned to do in the talk of it was gone. And then she was calling every single shot. So yeah, I mean, he utterly failed to try to land the points that he wanted to land. That doesn't change some of the underlying dynamics of the race ultimately. But you know, if we can put up on the screen the CNN flash poll, which was pretty consistent, I mean it was it was pretty overwhelming that Harris outperformed Trump in this debate. Pre debate, you had this same group of watchers split down the middle as to who they expected to do better. So it shows you it was like pretty evenly divided, going and you had half say and they think Kamala would win.
Speaker 6: Half say, and I thought Trump would win.
Speaker 1: Post debate, sixty three percent said that Kamala Harris won and thirty seven percent say that Trump won.
Speaker 6: And maybe maybe most notable to me.
Speaker 1: Was the fact that some thirty percent even of Republicans were like, Yeah, she got him, she got him on this one. There was a you know, it was a very clear consensus that she got the better of him that night. So, you know, is it ultimately going to matter? I think the thing for part of why I think this will be consequential is that Trump has such a mystique around him as this showman, as teflon Dawn, someone who just can you know, charge his way through anything and you know, gets the better of anyone.
Speaker 6: Who he goes toe to toe with. And here you have this woman.
Speaker 1: Who has been you know, very caricatured and at times rightfully so, for being kind of incompetent and verbally incontinent and all over the place, et cetera, et cetera. And the fact that she was able to make him look small and to really dominate him in the sense of causing him to have to react to what she wanted to talk about. You know, it really does puncture some of the aura and some of the mystique around Donald Trump. And that's part and you know, her whole strategy has been different than the Hillary strategy, different than the Biden strategy of trying to make him look small. So while he is up there glowering and furious and seeing red over you know, the rallies or whatever else she was goading him on, she is laughing, she's above the fraight, she's enjoying it. She's having a good time. And so's that's part of why I do think that this debate will end up being pretty consequential, is because it really damaged a core part of his appeal and his mystique in his aura that had made him so powerful in American politics. And it's also part of why I think this strategy that they have landed on, of the you know, sort of dismissive like roll your eyes, not taking his bait, has been so much more effective than when previously, you know, whatever he threw out there, they were just chasing after the ball, endlessly moralizing about it, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, there's a lot of evidence to say that this could be. Let's put the next one, please up on the screen. What we see in terms of the snap polling from Yugov who won the debate, Harris forty three, Trump twenty eight, unsure thirty. I mean, the unsure number is still, you know, relatively high, so it's not like it was overwhelming, but it's still good. Yeah, it's not good, all right. And then actually the next one. This convinced me more than anything. And it's always funny because I have to remind myself what I always sometimes think is the most impactful part of the debate, that's not what most people are The number one search topic during the debate by state was abortion. The only state where it was different was Ohio, and that was immigration, maybe because they were searching things about Haitian migrants, if I had to guess.
Speaker 3: But my point.
Speaker 2: Is just that if you look at all fifty states in the country, forty nine out of fifty, abortion is a number one search topic during that debate, possibly even looking at the various positions on abortion, then that's a massive win for the Democrats in my book.
Speaker 1: That's right, And this almost doesn't matter what they're searching about abortion.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to challenge a Vita on this. We have a segment coming up with her, but I guess I'll pre.
Speaker 3: Anyway just for scheduling purposes.
Speaker 2: She she was bringing up late term abortion and all of that, and I'm like, listen, whether you morally object to late term abortion or not, on a polling level, people don't care about it. At least they don't care enough when presented with the converse of a six week ban Republicans tried all throughout twenty twenty two. Democrats are the real radicals on abortion. Democrats are the real radicals on abortion. People don't care. They care a lot more about the six to twelve weeks of the Row consensus than they do about educationes of abortion that are after what the sixth, between the six and the ninth month of pregnancy. And I'm not even saying that I'm cool with that. I'm or like, empirically, it's not about what I think. It's about how people have responded to voting patterns. And Trump trotted out all the twenty twenty two classics. Yeah, they're the real radicals. It's about late term abortion. That's why I'm not going to vote for Amendment four. Look at the polling on Amendment four, it's overwhelmingly.
Speaker 6: The Florida amendment.
Speaker 1: First seemed to indicate he was going to side with the pro choice side. Then there was a huge freak out among the pro life community, flip flops within like twenty four hours and says no, I am gonna exactly.
Speaker 2: And actually, if you look at the polling, people have become even more permissive in America of abortion restrictions past the row versus way consents. So if anything, it's actually.
Speaker 3: Backfired against the Republicans.
Speaker 2: So in general, that talking point, again, you may be a conservative Christian and God bless you, but most Americas don't agree with you, period, especially whenever it comes to the ballot box. So in terms of his answer, where he landed, it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: There's euro evidence.
Speaker 1: But also where did he even land Because that's the other piece is you know, as much as Kamala rightfully gets pegged as a flip flopper, and that is true, and you know that's another area where he just failed. She baited him on something about his dad's net worth and again he just chased that down the rabbit hole. And let her you know, skate in terms of some of the different positions she's taken. But you know, moving back to abortion, he gets asked this question, Okay, your running mate says, you would veto and ash abortion, pan would you? And he's like, oh, I don't really talk to that guy, so I don't know what he's talking. He won't commit, and clearly he sa really felt the heat from pro life first when he tried to actually on a policy level moderate on abortion. You heard that from Avida. That was the one thing that she was well, you're going to hear from Vida. You will hear from Avida, our young Republican woman who we had on to talk about some of these issues. And she criticizes him about how he, you know, moved to the pro choice side. So even though you know, he didn't really have to run in a primary, you know, he's sort of just stayed out of it and participating in the debates or whatever.
Speaker 6: Even though he has really tried to.
Speaker 1: Lean into this rhetoric about just leave it up to the states, et cetera, et cetera, this is still a powerful coalition that really has a hold on him. So much so that even though he recognizes this issue as a major problem from him. He cannot bring himself to break in a hard away from them. And I don't know that it would really benefit him if even if he did, because the bottom line is, Kama Harris can always say you, as she did in the debate, you hand picked these three Supreme Court justices to put on the bench and overturn Row.
Speaker 6: And then when she framed it.
Speaker 1: As because he tries to say, oh, well, this is what people wanted, and she flips it back and says, no, the women who are bleeding out in a pot parking lot, the twelve year old girls who were raped by their stepdads, No, they they did not want this. And it continues to be, you know, as evidenced by that search data, it continues to be very powerful. When we picked our top moments from the debate, there were a lot of candidates the pets thing. I mean, that's just like the iconic, you know, memorable, ridiculous, absurd, like the revealing.
Speaker 6: Moment from the debate. But actually picked the abortion one.
Speaker 1: Because it was such because it's such an important issue, and because he still is so bad on it and still has no idea what to say, and I continue to think like, there isn't really an answer here that can work for him, regardless of where he tries to land or what talking points he tries to try sultimate.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you don't want to know how insane this is? With a congratulations?
Speaker 2: By the way, pro life ers, you got Trump to disavow a position that eighty percent of the American people are against eighty percent. Even people who are pro life, who are like in terms of the row versus way, they don't even support a national ban on abortion.
Speaker 3: If you look at it, three quarters even three quarters.
Speaker 2: Of Americans people who are pro life say that there should not be a federal law banning abortion at six weeks, some sixty percent at fifteen weeks. So the rogue consensus has literally never been more popular than ever. And JD, who is a practicing pro life Catholic, gave you the political layup of yeah, he would ban abord, he would not sign the national abortion ban, he would veto it, and he still decided to go along.
Speaker 3: What is he doing?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is where I look at Trump's calculus sometimes and I just have to remind you, like, honestly, sometimes he is just an idiot, or he's somebody who his political his political like dialed in nature is not there where previously. I really believe that twenty sixteen Trump, if he were presented with that same landscape, absolutely would not have done this. This is actually him a case being too immersed in the traditional GOP where there are a lot of people who probably support something like that and who are in his ear convincing him that this is a bigger constituency. If he was truly dialed in the way that he has been in the past, there's no way that you're going to come out on a twenty percent issue.
Speaker 3: Impossible.
Speaker 1: So I've been sort of like workshopping a monologue in my head that I may do for next week about Trump's political evolution and how what current bubble.
Speaker 6: He is in.
Speaker 1: So in twenty sixteen he really comes out of the New York tabloids. Yeah, right, he's like New York that's kind of his that's his thing, right. So it's sensationalist, it's crass, but there is some like connection to the reality of like how people view issues and what normal people think about various things that are happening in the country. And you know, it's sort of like where Piers Morgan is right, it's tabloid. Then he's really swimming in the Fox News world, right, and Kyle calls him fox News Grandpa in twenty twenty, and I think that's right.
Speaker 6: You know, he's just totally.
Speaker 1: Immersed in this like conservative but mainstream conservative echo chamber. So already a lot of the populist elements from twenty sixteen are stripped down in twenty twenty, and he's this like Fox News Grandpa. Now it's like truth Social person, psycho whatever. And that's where you get the pets, right, he's hanging out.
Speaker 6: With Laura Loomer.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just I think after Fox News calls the election for Biden, and it is actually the first to call Arizona for Biden, there's a rupture with Fox News. At the same time he's you know, he gets kicked off of Twitter. So now he's on truth Social, which is truly this very niche fringe ecosystem, and those are the waters he's swimming in. And that really comes out in his politics and in how he's talking about issues and how he's responding to issues, and how he's thinking about things and what he chooses to highlight and so, you know, I think a lot of the evolution of Trump can be explained because he is such a media creature that that's an important way to understand who he is at that present moment. And I think that accounts for a lot of the differences between the twenty sixteen Trump, who has his finger on the pulse of something, in the twenty twenty four of Trump where you're like, what the hell are you even thinking right now? What world do you live in? Where you thought that this would be a good idea. So, you know, I think that that changed media diet has.
Speaker 6: Really done a number on him.
Speaker 1: Not to mention just being in the bubble of being a president of post president, surrounding yourself constantly with sick of fans, et cetera, et cetera. To get back to some of the we have one more. Washington Post did an undecided voter panel as well. There's was pretty overwhelming to put this up on the screen. So out of twenty five people, twenty three said they thought that Harris. Two said that they thought Trump performed better. You know, they also interviewed these individuals throughout the debate, and even the ones who said Harris performed better. There were you know, there was some movement towards her also in terms of which way people were planning on voting, which is obviously really significant. There were still some questions raised about like hey, I need to know more about her. But probably the thing that I took most note of, which we commented on on Debate Night as well, is with regard to this like pets Haitian migrants situation, there was just deep confusion about what the hell he was even talking about, which again gets to the truth social bubble that he's existing in where his conspiracies are so outlandish and so fringe people like normal people just don't even comprehend what your point you're even trying to get across.
Speaker 6: So I thought that was interesting as.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that happened a lot in twenty twenty. Actually are it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Trump would be saying something where I'm like, dude, I only know what you're talking about because I do this for a living. Yeah, I know way too many people who are like what, Like what is he saying? And that simplicity. Look, this is what made him actually a strong candidate in twenty sixteen. It wasn't about being online he intuited a basic fact about America. He said, Americans don't like the way that things are going. That was actually a very counterintuitive in politics at that time. American Carnage still one of the most important speeches in modern American history because it was counter to the way that most people in the elite circles thought about the direction of the country this time and it was simple. It was about immigration, and it was simply really about rolling back the Obama era consensus. This time around, it's mishmash.
Speaker 3: There's an amalgam.
Speaker 2: Now, that doesn't mean he still can't win because a lot of Biden is very unpopular and economic tends, trends, et cetera. But he's not doing his best, I think, to convince people to vote for him. And actually, you know, you do see a lot of that, like, for example, can we put B five on the screen? A lot of these a lot of these swing state voters who were asked about from the Washington Post specifically about how they thought Trump and Harris performed twenty three out of twenty five, said Kamala Harris did. And this is not you know, it's not just a bunch of liberals who are in this group. You even look at a lot of the people who were saying the Harris performed better, and they're like, look, I'm frustrated with the status quo. We deserve better. I appreciate a strump, you know, I'm reading from one. I appreciate Trump has strong views and trust his ability to make strong decisions. I worry that Harris may lack clear convictions or follow through. Still thinks that Kamala had done better and has a preference now for Harris, Like these are not people who are brainwashed or any a deeply partisan in any way. And I think that, you know, thinking about trying to intuit that part of the country right there where the overall trend is in general, he's not as die in.
Speaker 3: As he was back in twenty sixteen. I think that's generally a mistake.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they asked those same individuals before the debate, Okay, who are.
Speaker 6: You leaning towards right? If you have a lean and.
Speaker 1: Before the debate, twelve said Harris and ten said Trump. Three were others were undecided, like totally unsure or they said neither actually is.
Speaker 6: What they said. Afterwards there were still three that said neither.
Speaker 1: But the Harris number moved from twelve to fifteen, and she now had five people that said they were definitely voting for her, whereas before they were on the fence. Trump's number went down from ten to six, so he lost four voters, and no one moved from the probably Trump to the definitely Trump column.
Speaker 6: So at least listen.
Speaker 1: It's a small a sample, obviously not statistically significant, et cetera, et cetera, but still, if you're just looking at how ordinary people process this debate in real time, it shows you something something happened here for Trump, and I do think part of it was just she did a perfect job of queueing him up, and he took debate in a way that her top advisors could never have possibly dreamed in their wildest dreams, how much he would chase every rabbit down the hole every time she tempted him to do so. So one of the voters who apparently was not overly impressed with Donald Trump's performance was his new endorser and transition team member RFK Junior, who was fairly fairly honest about how he thought this performance went for Donald Trump. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 11: Vice President Harris clearly won the debate in terms of her delivery, her polish, her organization, and her preparation. I think on the substance, President Trump wins in terms of his governance, but he didn't tell that story. In fact, the first question was an extraordinary lost opportunity because there's a question, and I think Doris pointed out that she never answered, which is our Americans better four years later? And there's really no argument for saying that they are by all the dish by which you measure social deterioration. We have double the inflation rate, the housing rates have doubled in the last four years. There's fifteen million more people and Americans living in poverty. We have these enormous suicide rates, enormous overdose rates, and we're in two wars. And all of these things can be attributed to the poor leadership from Biden Harry's team. And that's the argument that he should have been making, but he got distracted. And I think it's unfortunate because he you know, I think he really had an airy argument for his presidency, but he was not able to make that case to the American public.
Speaker 12: He said, and it's come in a couple of times today that he won the debate, and all the polls.
Speaker 7: Show that he won the debate.
Speaker 3: I hadn't seen a single one to show that. What did you think of that reaction?
Speaker 11: Well, I have seen those polls. You know, they're not There are polls that you see on uh, you know, on the on the internet, and and a lot of them probably have have a statistical problem.
Speaker 1: He laughing says that, like, yeah, it's probably like a cat turn poll that I don't know that I'm going to take too seriously.
Speaker 6: What'd you make of those comments? I was kind of surprised.
Speaker 3: I think he should.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at the very least RFK every once in a while, I'm surprised you and he'll say, you know what he thinks. I think that's what a lot of people appreciated about him whenever he was running for president, and look at least give him credit.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, I don't think he did well at all.
Speaker 2: And that he's he honestly has the most at stake here right now, because not only did he steak his entire reputation, is his whole coalition on a Trump victory. He's claiming that Trump is going to appoint either him or people who are aligned with him to office whenever he is elected. So at the very least, like if you expect anybody to spend it really would be him. I honestly think he has the most on the line out of anybody in.
Speaker 1: The Coalitionink about it, your social circle and everything.
Speaker 3: Nicole Shanahan, I'm like, good luck.
Speaker 2: If Trump doesn't win, people are screwed, you know, in terms of just think about it, in terms of coalitional support, In terms of overall impact of your campaign which you're hoping to leverage into power, No Democrat or will ever speak to you like ever again, after you've gone this hard. They bet the farm really on the Trump campaign. So for their sake, the whole family came out against him, which I guess isn't all that new, but you know, when he the family name is now more in the discourse than ever before. Shanahan, Like I said, I mean, you shouldn't underestimate like the social circles and all these things that those people run in. If she doesn't have any power, like, good luck to you, the knives are going to come out from all her like billionaire neighbors and olive ours. My only point being that they probably have more incentive to spin than anybody else, and so whenever they have to tell the truth about what's going on here, that just tells you that things didn't go that well. And that's the problem that I find is that there's a deep amount of hackery and a lot of commentary. By the way, I did call it on our show afterwards, I was like, can't wait to see Jesse Waters bitch about the moderators. And that's immediately what happened when it was on the show, Because that's why if you notice the beginning of our show, what was Trump saying, He's like, Jesse, he really got it, he really.
Speaker 3: Understood what was going on.
Speaker 2: You know, at a certain point too, for those people, they're not being honest enough with their audience or preparing them, which will probably just prime stop the steal.
Speaker 3: Two point oh absolutely, Whereas with RFK on.
Speaker 2: The release, he's like, yeah, it didn't do well. It's like, that's that's what being honest with people actually looks like.
Speaker 1: But you know what, like Trump is not going to like that answer. Yeah, and he watches and I think he was out truth thing about Neil Cavudo, So you know, he watches this coverage on Cable New religiously and if you are anything but Jesse Waters level sycophantic ass kissing like it is not enough because Jesse not only was bitching about the moderators, which was kind of like the total go to play, but he also was like Trump had all the most memorable lines like when he said one spa run or when he said they had like four things that he rattled off and tried to not just say, oh, well, the moderators are the reason he lost, but also tried to say actively, actually, I thought Trump was way better than Kamwa Harris, which again, no, you don't believe that. You don't like you're just lying to your audience. You're saying the thing that you know is gonna make Trump happy. And this is why, because I'm sure like whatever slot RFK was promised on the transition team, you know, you can still technically get that slot, but that doesn't mean that you're going to have any influence whatsoever going for in a Trump administration. It doesn't mean he's ever gonna call you again, or you're gonna be on Air Force one or have a meeting with him or whatever because you made such an important point on debate night. After something like this, Trump is going to go and search out his most sycophantic aids, advisors, supporters, etc.
Speaker 6: That's why he's hanging out with Laura Lemmer.
Speaker 1: She's safe for him because she'll tell him whatever he wants to hear and have zero qualms about it. So if you are even willing to be honest enough, and you know, there was obviously spin there and what RFK Junior said too of being like, well, I think he had air tight case and here's why he's so much about her, and he just failed to make it and that's unfortunate. But the fact he led any truth in there at all means he is going to be persona non grotto with Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: And you know it was that was quick.
Speaker 1: I also wonder how Tulci Gabbard is going to standing, is gonna fair within the Trump world, because he's certainly not going to blame himself Trump ever for his complete failure, even though there is no one to blame but himself. You know, whatever you think about the moderators, I was thinking about remember when Megan Kelly asked him that question about like Rosie o'donna or whatever, which he also thought was very unfair. He turned that into a great moment for himself. So if you are on top of your game, even if a moderator is like, you know, unfair in your view towards you, he used to have the capability to do that. So anyway, there is no one to blame but himself. But we know he will not blame himself. So who was prominently advising him and advertised as advising him going up to this debate, Tulcy Gabbard. So I wonder if she also is going to be on the ounce, if he's going to blame her for his inability to rise to the occasion and some basic ass political points against gom Layer.
Speaker 2: That's what Look, that's what he does. He always lashes out at the advisors. It's always the people who are around him. I guarantee you there's gonna be a lot of snakes in his Oh yeah, right now. Polymarket odds on whether Trump will fires campaign manager before the election. Let's see, is thirty percent spiked since the debate. So anyway, let's put that out interesting and let's see.
Speaker 6: And is it Lasa Vita is technically the firs.
Speaker 3: Las Avita is technically.
Speaker 6: Not Susie, she's sort of like number two, or she's number two.
Speaker 2: Also, Kamala actually is now leading Trump in the betting market, says presidential election winner is twenty twenty four fifty Kamala forty nine percent Trump, first time that she's led him in quite a long time.
Speaker 1: And before going into the debate, it was like fifty four Trump.
Speaker 2: Forty six Paris or some bread that was to Donald Trump tied after the debate and now actually as Kamala in the lead. I mean, look, it's fifty forty nine, so it's not it's not like overwhelming, but.
Speaker 6: It's also just you know, random people betting online.
Speaker 3: But it's a billion dollar market.
Speaker 2: There's nine hundred million dollars in this market, so yeah, you shouldn't discount.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's still indicative of at least the analysis of the general consensus about what happened in this debate and how it's likely to move things.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't people can be row.
Speaker 2: Betting markets, by the way, perfect, but there's a good you know, I read Nate Silver's book and he does make a good point that there's just a lot more.
Speaker 3: That does go into into it.
Speaker 2: When you genuinely have money and large sums of money on the line that sometimes can call things out in a better direction than pundits or like pundits and or any other like so called conventional wisdom, because it's true you have to factor in downside risk and upside and everything. And because they were so wrong last time around, people are always looking for opportunities this time to make it. And that's why Kamala being tied pretty significant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the overall.
Speaker 1: Polling average, Yeah, it's going to be really interesting to see the next few rounds of post debate polls that come out to see you.
Speaker 3: Know, is probably gets any Monday, actually.
Speaker 1: I would think though, Yeah, I would definitely think by Monday we'll have something to chew on there.
Speaker 6: So something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, we got a great panel lined up that we have now promoted several times because we so enjoyed the conversation that we recorded with these two individuals talking about the Taylor Swift endorsement and also talking about these emerging gender dynamics among gen Z, which are really fascting largest gender divide political gender divide of any generation is gen Z.
Speaker 6: So let's go ahead and get to that.
Speaker 1: Very excited to be joined this morning by our two panelists on the left and the right. We've got Parker Short who is the president of the Georgia Young Dems, and we also have a Vita Duffy, who is the host of.
Speaker 6: The Bond Gino Report.
Speaker 1: Got a couple topics we wanted to dive into with you guys. Welcome, glad to have you this morning.
Speaker 3: Good to see you guys, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: So we got big news the night after the debate, like that night during the you know, the post aftermath of the debate, that Taylor Swift had come out and endorsed Kamala Harris, saying that describing herself as a childless cat lady. Parker, let me start with you. I'm sure you're you're happy about this news. How significant do you think that this will be for the Kamala Harris campaign.
Speaker 13: I'm not particularly a Taylor Swift fan, but I do appreciate somebody who uses their platform for a good purpose. You know, I kind of did expect this because she has been very outspoken before. If you will go out there and endorse Phil Bretison and Tennessee in twenty eighteen, then you will go out there and get behind Kamala Harris, who's one of the most exciting nominees that the party has seen in a while. I will say I think the most impactful part of this is not Taylor Swift convincing voters that wouldn't vote or that we're going to vote for Trump. It is instead reaching out to new folks. Last year, when she promoted the voter registration link on National Voter Registration Day, it was a forty thousand people increase. It was much more than last year. That was the last highest voter registration bump before Calmly got in the race. And then last night we saw more than three hundred thousand people click on her link. I think the thing that's going to make the difference this election in states like North Carolina and Georgia, where I have both lived and is new voters coming in, people on college campuses, people getting engaged, that are being touched by people like Taylor Swift that are using their platform for what I think is a good reason.
Speaker 6: Avian. If I to bolster Parker's point here, let's go in.
Speaker 1: But the third element up on the screen, he mentioned the number of visitors that her voter registration link received in the hours after she endorsed, so her link to register to vote brought in three hundred and six thousand visitors to vote dot gov. So you know, obviously it did something in terms of people being interested in registering to vote, and presumably since she endorsed Kamala Harris, many of those people will plan to vote for Kamala Harris. What do you think of the significance of this or do you think that it's very significant?
Speaker 12: You know, I tend to actually agree with Parker that I'm not sure it's going to be wildly, wildly, you know, significant to this election. I think what was interesting is I didn't feel like her heart was really in it. I mean, there hasn't been a rally with Kamala and Taylor, she hasn't put on a concert for her.
Speaker 6: It was just an Instagram post.
Speaker 3: And in the Instagram.
Speaker 12: Post was also kind of flirting with both sides ism at the beginning. In the end she sorts and vote for who you think would make the best president. And so it was not as strong as I think people are making it out to be. And you have that on top of the fact that she said her reason for endorsing Kamala's because she wants to combat misinformation. And a lot of people know that during a NATO meeting four years ago, the Pentagon's Psychological Operations Unit floated this idea of turning Taylor Swift into an asset for combating so called misinformation. So I think there's something really interesting going on there.
Speaker 1: Thank Taylor is a DP state that wast Well has floated the idea, so I mean impossible, And she cited misinformation in her statement, which I think is really interesting.
Speaker 6: But the other thing I want to say is that I think that.
Speaker 12: Young people are a lot more animated with the real issues than just a celebrity endorsement. Trump forced Kamala last night to say that he that she loves Israel, she supports Israel, she stands with Israel, after he accused her of saying of saying she hates Israel. So that to young people is going to be really significant as we look at what's happening in Gaza, and a lot of especially socially conscious left wing people who I think Kamala would consider her base, are really going to be alienated by that kind of rhetoric. I think that's more important to young people than a Taylor Swift endorsement.
Speaker 2: Well, Parker, what do you make of that, because if Vita is just I'm assuming giving like a political analysis, I believe we'd spoken previously last time we saw you in Chicago, and that's something christ and Ryan have been talking a lot about as well. You know, if anything, she's probably as forceful on the issue, at least on the substance that Joe Biden is. Do you think that's going to be a problem for her, Like, what do you see with younger voters.
Speaker 13: Well, younger voters care a lot about different issues. And again I don't speak Faull for all younger voters, but I will agree with your other guys. She started off by agreeing with me, and I do think she has a point. It's more about the policy. I watched that debate last night, and I saw Kamala Harris finally talk about a lot of policy issues that matter to me. I liked the opportunity economy stuff, and I was frustrated her her pandering to parts of the American electorate through the way that she talks about the genocide that is occurring in Gaza and I think she has shown me some hope at points on that issue by meeting with the Uncommitted movement, by trying to reach out to young voters. It is clear to me there's one candidate on the ballot that cares about human rights and does have at least some care for the human lives that are being lost in Gaza. Donald Trump does not care. And yes he did force her and push her to that position, but I think that kind of shows the difficult position that our American politics is in where it is so Israel has such power to the point where you can't really go out there in mainstream politics and you know, be on a presidential debate stage because APAC really is scary. Ask Andy Levin, who is you know? I went to University of Michigan. He's Jewish. He stood up for what was right, and they elected somebody far more pro war to his seat. I think that she is trying her best on the issue, but her best is definitely not enough. There's a lot that I would like to see, and I think that debate was her attempt to kind of, yes, find that middle ground and debate with Trump, But I really I didn't appreciate it. But I will say as I said, there is one candidate that cares about human rights in the Middle East. And I'm very close with rue Roman and I think she would love to come on y'all's show. She is a state representative from Georgia. She's the only Palestinian elective official in the state of Georgia, and we talk about this issue a lot. And for her, a Trump presidency looks like more of her family dying overseas and it really is terrible and Kamalin needs to step up. And Rua should have been a speaker at the DNC. That was a missed opportunity for the DNC to say, hey, let's hear Palestinian voices. I appreciate that Kamala could sit down with the Youngmited movement and hear their voices, but there is a lot more than needs to be done. Whoever, in Georgia, our rights are under attack every single day. People are dying in Georgia hospitals because they don't have access to reproductive rights, and that is frontline for a lot of voters. And I know Rua and I are both dedicated to electing Kamala. As frustrating as her position on this issue qvit.
Speaker 2: That is a key point that Parker raises is that the issue of abortion, you know, I would say equally animating probably to younger voters. What do you think then, about Trump's answers on the issue of abortion during that debate, which arguably could be just as consequential in swinging voters as well.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, I've it's an interesting question because I've really been disillusioned with the way that Trump has handled the abortion question over the last month or two. He's really turned the GOP much more to the pro choice side than I would like as a pro life person. Parker said that Kamala is somebody who cares about human rights, and in my opinionion killing unborn children in the womb is the epitome of spitting on human rights, and I think that is something that is egregious. And I liked that Trump during the debate for the first time, really started to put some pressure on Kamala and how radical the Democrats are with the pro with their pro abortion stance. I think a lot of Americans think abortion is safe, legal, rare. It's said in the early stages, and the reality is that Democrats have in Democrat controlled states permitted abortion at all stages.
Speaker 6: That's just a fact.
Speaker 12: You had the fact checkers come in and say, oh, this isn't true. There's no abortions after a baby is born. That actually has happened. There are five instances of this happening on the record. You can go to the Daily Signal.
Speaker 3: They've reported it out.
Speaker 12: But the truth is that Democrat states, when they have that option, will allow abortion at all stages. And this is a radical stance that I think most Americans don't agree with. And the other thing that I'll mention about human rights is I'm not really sure and I don't really think a lot of young people are sure that Kamala is going to bring peace to the world that she's at office, because we have right now the carnage that Trump also mentioned during the debate in Ukraine, and Kamala is not committed to ending this war, She's not committed to a peace deal. There is suffering. I mean, hundreds of thousands of people are dying because America keeps us in this funding this battle. That even Zelenski has now recently come out and said, we need to take a step back, we need to start negotiating a peace deal of some kind. I think that's really short sighted. I think that shows a real disrespect for human life and perhaps a symbol that Kamala is in bed with the military industrial complex, which makes money off of human lives being lost.
Speaker 6: Parking your respond there, well.
Speaker 13: I really would like to talk about Ukraine, because I do think it is interesting. But first I'm going to talk about abortion, because this is not something that we should beat around the bush on. We talk about human rights, and I hear where your panelist is coming. This is personal for a lot of people, but again, it is a personal choice. And in Georgia abortion is banned six weeks, as it is in South Carolina, as it is in many places all over the country. And every single day women are dying in Georgia because they don't have access to proper reproductive care. And reproductive care and women's rights are human rights. And you know, I have a girlfriend, We're very serious. We talk about having a kid, and she's scared to be pregnant in Georgia because you can't get proper medical care. I think human rights as people being able to have self determination and the choice about their own bodies. And while I respect you and your opinions. You can make that decision about your body. We are at a point in our lives and in our country where Donald Trump and the Republican majority, Republican appointed majority on the Supreme Court has taken away rights from people all across the country. And the truth is that a majority of Americans actually want to restore those right. I know you said that a majority don't feel that way. It's not true. Because you look at Kansas, they voted to protect abortion rights. You look at Michigan, they voted to protect abortion rights on November fifth. In Florida, they have the opportunity to protect abortion rights because they're trying to do They have a six week ban, which most women don't know they're pregnant, ends up preventing people from getting reproductive care, criminalizes healthcare. Doctors are unable to provide the care that women need, and they often put the health of the mother at risk. That's going to be on the ballot. Donald Trump's not going to vote for it.
Speaker 6: This is actually probably.
Speaker 13: That is as clear as it can be. Also, marijuana is on the ballot in Florida's statewide and that one Kamala Harris came out in favor of marijuana legalization recently.
Speaker 1: The other piece we wanted to get from you guys, which is this really massive emerging gender gap among gen z. David Hogg actually tweeted something about this that we found interesting and put up on the screen about how Democrats are struggling with young men. Go ahead and put d one up guys on the screen so we can read from this. Sure it is I hope I'm wrong, but if we lose in November, I think the main reason why will be the number of young men of all races that are no longer Democrats. There's been a taboo about talking about this because we understandably are hesitant to make men a main point of conversation, given we have been for thousands of years. But we have a real problem to deal with at this point, with sixty days ago, there isn't much we can do to recover it other than turning out more young women and trying to slow the departure of young men. I think a lot of this is caused by COVID, the epidemic of male loneliness in this country meansuing commodification through social media of misogyny. Long term We've got a lot of work to do to provide positive examples of what actual masculinity looks like that is not defined by putting down women or other people, but by lifting others up and being a true leader. Parker, what is what's your reaction? Is that your experience among the young gentlemen that you that you know.
Speaker 13: That's I've met David. He's an interesting guy, and I will say I appreciate him coming out and speaking out, and I think more young young men and young women should speak out. I know a lot of young men that are Democrats that are very much involved for different reasons. I got involved because I lost my dad at a young age and I understood the impact of good governance. I have a public policy degree because I knew I wanted to make a difference. But I have friends that are involved for all different reasons. And I know so many young men that have stood up, stepped up and really trying to make a difference in their communities, whether that's on the city council or the county commission. You know, I've got a best friend who's a teacher named Bryce Berry. He's twenty three years old. He's running for Statehouse in Georgia, and he's gonna win. There's no way he doesn't win. And I really think that young men can set an example. And you know, I'm from Atlanta. I know so many amazing men that show me what good mass kilnity looks like. That show me what giving back to your community looks like. And I'll end on the point that I think a good man looks like Tim Waltz, Somebody who cares, somebody who you can trust, somebody if you had a flat tire, they pull over the side of road and help you change it. And I think that's more of what our party should be elevating. And I think the choice of Tim Waltz demonstrates that. And I do think young men are going to surprise a lot of people and may hopefully surprise David in November, because I think we're going to turn out and show out, and at least in Georgia, I know young men are very much aware of what is at stake and how women's rights have been taken away.
Speaker 2: I think that's possible, but there's a lot of data that shows otherwise.
Speaker 3: Just put this a D two please up on the screen.
Speaker 2: This is originally guys, what we were all going to talk about the last time that we wanted to see you. If you look at the gen Z gender gap here for younger men specifically eighteen to twenty nine, you have men both overall but also between eighteen to twenty nine who are supporting Trump and almost over a plus ten mar while you have women, younger women specifically, almost at a plus eighteen margin there for Democrats, specifically for Kamala Harris, the gender gap actually gets even bigger whenever you look at thirty to forty four.
Speaker 3: So, my fellow.
Speaker 2: Millennials, but Ivita, why do you think then it is that Democrats are winning so much with younger women, you know, Taylor Swift demographic, I guess, But that Donald Trump is doing so well with younger men.
Speaker 12: Well, let me just start by saying that I don't think Tim Walls is a masculine man. I don't think any young men are looking to him as a role model. This is the guy that put tampon's in the boy's bathroom and who's also charged with making a city safe for the state of Minnesota, and he let it burn to the ground during BLM riding. So that's something to take note of.
Speaker 6: But I want to get to like the real heart of this.
Speaker 12: I think that third wave feminism has really disrupted the natural order between men and women, and I think men feel really lost in modern society. This idea that the future is female. It's turned out to be female domination over the masculine. And we're experiencing this mass feminization of society, encouraging men to be more effeminate, telling them to cry more, don't be too masculine, don't be too assertive, don't sit a certain way, don't have male only spaces, and they're even being told that they're very nature right. Masculinity is toxic. And you have the system itself set up against them, with scholarships and college admissions being rigged against men, particularly white men, and you're seeing men just give up. You have male suicide, depression, anxiety. It's through the roof. Men make up eighty percent of suicides in America, and a lot of guys are just saying, you know, we need to return to normalcy, we need to return to order.
Speaker 6: And that's why I think the phrase make.
Speaker 12: America great again. Whether you think it's dumb or not, it has a real effect with men who feel like the culture does not respect them, and that their unique contributions to society as men are not respected either. To return to the past and the normalcy of times before.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Parker, what do you think.
Speaker 13: I don't think make America great again and is dumb. I think it's dangerous. I think a lot of this idea of what Trump is pushing as masculinity is actually toxic. I've never had somebody tell me that, you know, me playing basketball or hang out my friends at a bar is too masculine. But you know, I truly think the ideals that Trump is pushing for what masculinity is is more about hating women. You look at him on all these right wing podcasts. They are misogynists. They're divisive, and honestly, I do think Tim Waltz is a masculine man. He's a state championship winning football coach, and you know, I look up to him and I see a lot of other good men in my life where you know what, it's not bad to be loving and caring and joyful, and I think to be masculine is yeah, to be strong and tough, but to also be a person. And the ideal of what Trump and the right and people like Aidan Ross are pushing for men to be is in fact toxic. And yes, our politics is so divided and it's really frustrating, and there is an epidemic young among young men. I see it, I see it, we all see it. I'm not going to pretend that the gender divide does not exist in politics. It is stronger, just about the strongest divie we have in America politics, and it is more stark among young men because of COVID, because people are disconnected and young men are going to college at way lesser rates. Anyone that watches this show knows that there is a crisis among young men. But I think then watching these far right podcasts only isolates them more. I was watching the PBS News Hour last night and they had a former long time bright Bart contributor on there, and she was talking about how much she regretted being a part of the far right ecosystem and how it just encouraged people to get more and more far to the right, to push more and more dangerous rhetoric, to get more attention, to boost each other's networks. And I think what Trump is doing is appealing to this problem among young men. This insecurity. He is using it and taking advantage of young men and trying to lean on their fears and their insecurities to say, hey, then we aren't heard, so we have to go back and make America great again. You know, some men see things as they are and ask why I want to go back. I want to dream of things as they could be. And I don't know how you can look at Tim Waltzon and think that's not what a good man looks like. I mean, you don't have to be, you know, the strongest guy in the world, the meanest, toughest guy. I think masculinity is being a good dad, a good neighbor, a good coach. I mean, I wouldn't trust Donald Trump or JD.
Speaker 2: Pans put yourself out of the Tim Walls discussion though, and you even have liberals who are talking about this. Let's put D three please up on the screen. Hassan actually put this out. I think he's absolutely correct. Every young male interest online, from game being, fitness to culture and self help is dominated by right wing red pilled manosphere commentary. He says they prey on the anxieties and insecurities of vulnerable young men. Take his last sentence out of there, and I think empirically he is correct, and I could say that from first hand experience. So Evita, I mean, do you think that that is a positive development. We've previously had people like Ali Betstucky here on the show to kind of speak out against Andrew Tate's you know, kind of influence amongst younger red pilled I guess men, So how do you see that dynamic specifically as a young woman on the right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, Andrew Taite is a really interesting topic. I mean, I think as a conservative, as a Christian, the best role models for young men are their fathers, and I think also their father in heaven. I think you should. I think religion is something that's really lacking right now. But men have had to go to these surrogate fathers, right the Andrew Tates of the world, you know, even a Jordan Peterson. And you know, I don't They're imperfect, they can never be perfect. But I also think that it's a net positive on society to have men start to take back some agency instead of just playing video games and watching porn and becoming in cells. Like I think that there is a real spiritual and emotional uh, epidemic happening among young men, and to have them be assertive, embrace their masculinity, even if it's through an imperfect avenue like Andrew Tate, is a net positive on society. And I'll also say, you know, the figures that the left is elevating to young men are just objectively not not positive. I mean, we talked about Tim Wallashill also mentioned Doug m Hoff, right, they want him to be some sort of masculine figure in this election cycle. And this guy impregnated his kid's nanny, right, and he can't control his sexual appetites.
Speaker 6: That's very masculine.
Speaker 1: I have to cut you off there, because it's not like Donald Trump has had the most you know, by the book.
Speaker 6: Christian Family Life. No, no, no, I is he a good positive role model for young men?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I agree with that.
Speaker 12: I mean that's why I said this. These these are imperfect avenues. But there was there's specifically been a push to have Doug m Hoff and Tim Willalls be the new new masculine figures that I'm speaking to.
Speaker 1: Obviously a big push to make Donald Trump the sort of epitome of the masculine ideal. But I also want to flip the script at you of Vita, because if we can put the numbers back on the screen D two, you know, it's the gender gap goes both ways, right. So you have young men who favor Trump by you know, in this polling somewhere around plus ten, young women favoring Kamala Harris by almost forty points. So what is your analysis, as a Republican woman of why so many young women are so turned off from the Republican Party and some of the rhetoric and ideology and positioning coming from there.
Speaker 12: Well, I can tell you I think that there are to the Democratic Party. I mean, I think that the abortion issue is in this abortion being the women's issue of our time has been really animating for a lot of young women. I personally don't agree with it, but I think the left has done a really effective job of making women feel like this is a right of theirs and that it is being taken away by Republicans. I think they've done a really effective job messaging that way. But what I will also say is that I know a lot. I mean, I went to college, I graduated not that long ago, and the left wing lifestyle has been really damaging on young women. I think a lot of women think that they want a Doug m Hoff to marry or be with, and the reality is that they don't. I think young women actually are attracted to masculine men. I think that this idea that they're going to be a boss babe, and you know, fill in this, this corpor climb, the corporate ladder. I think a lot of these things actually have left women deeply unhappy. The most unhappy demographic in America is single women. The most mentally ill graphic in America is liberal women. That means something, and so I think focusing on your love life. I think embracing tradition is the answer for a lot of young women who are also feeling disillusioned with life. It's not just young men, but unfortunately they continue to vote for people who are promoting an ideology that is making people deeply unhappy.
Speaker 14: Parker, last thoughts to you, Well, I will say they are not perfect figures, these false dads that you as.
Speaker 13: The way you described it, that the right has people like Andrew Tait and Donald Trump being a model for masculinity. I think, again, the gender divide in politics is a lot because the Right is exploiting young men, and I think young women are scared of people like Andrew Tate because he's a sexual predator. And when we are elevating people like that, people like Aiden Ross who say racist and misogynist things on stream, when Donald Trump is giving them a platform, appealing to them, pandering to those voters, it's disgusting. And he's taking advantage of the insecurities of young men. He's telling them that they aren't masculine enough. These right wing figures, these bloggers, they're manipulating people to, you know, say that there is this crazy, you know, masculinity issue, and when the truth is yall are obsessed with Doug m Hoff and Tim Walls being the ideal man. They're not who I look to for masculinity in my life. I'm not spending all day thinking about masculinity. I think I'm more thinking about how to do a good job and how to get things done. I just be a man.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, oh, there we go. You cut off for a cashf But hey, both.
Speaker 1: Of you guys, I really appreciate Yeah, I really appreciate having both of you today and enjoyed the conversation a lot. So I hope we can do it again. Thank you so much for time this morning.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: We'll have links to Vita's show in the bio and to Parker's Parker, what do you prefer Instagram?
Speaker 3: Should we put that on Instagram?
Speaker 13: All right, let's do that talking you Hey, Sorry, y'all. I really appreciate you having me and Avida. Thank you. It was really nice to talk to you. I thought this was a good conversation.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: We enjured to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys.
Speaker 10: Pleasure.
Speaker 2: At the same time, we want to turn now to a major anti trust case against Google, of which the details are super interesting.
Speaker 3: Let's put this up there on the screen.
Speaker 2: Major blockbuster anti trust case again after a judge has ruled that the company stifled competition in search, and another trial opens on ad tech practices, So it's actually here in Northern Virginia, the company is facing a federal lawsuit alleging it illegally monopolizes the ad tech workplace, second such case in less than a year. Opening arguments were made in the case on Monday, saying Google has quote unlawful grip on the market for software used to buy and sell digital ads. The trial is going to last approximately a month in northern Virginia, and it could face major implications for Google in terms of how it would get broken up and what the overall marketplace would look like. In addition to its even inability to buy bigger companies in the future. The search case must now quote decide how to remedy Google's antitrust violations, which could mean limiting its ability to pay web browsers and phone manufacturers to be their default search engine. This includes a multi billion dollar deal with Apple for the iPhone with Samsung, of course, which runs the Android ecosystem, and it says if the company loses in Virginia, back to backblows would crimp company revenue at a time when it is pouring money into artificial intelligence to compete with Microsoft. So that actually might be possibly the most significant thing. Something that's happening right now with a lot of these big tech companies is that they're using ad monopoly or ad search dollars to fund what has now been a crapshoot so far in aim. It sounds stupid, but the theory for all of them is if you dump billions into this, whoever wins is going to roll up all the potential gains of AI. So the upside of the bet is so asymmetric that it's worth burning as much capital as you can right now. And it sounds like they're more profitable than God, so it almost doesn't really matter. They're still posting record returns and doing sheer buybacks. Yeah, but the problem is that if you turn off the spigot for Google, it would essentially wipe them out of the AI race. I actually support that because one of the things I've been really concerned about is that the sheer cost of AI and of data centers just means that the big actors are the ones who are most likely to win. You have to spend tens of billions crunching all of this data on energy costs, you know, all of the chips and video.
Speaker 3: Obviously that's why it's profits are up so much.
Speaker 2: But that just means that the barrier to entry is so high that big tech almost certainly is going to win. Or what's happened with open AI is you just sign a major, multi billion dollar deal with Microsoft and you let them, you know, sab size all that stuff and you fuse the two companies together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really concerning.
Speaker 1: No that's that's absolutely the case, and I mean it looks like it's sort of it's already happening. You know, it is almost our no point done that it's going to be. You know, they the big players already, are the ones that are spending the money already, are the ones that are pushing the tech forward. Just to go back to some of the details here, because this is something of course Matt Stiller of It has big substack has been covering and it is extremely consequential. And it's important to understand. Google is facing anti trust issues on multiple fronts. So there was a civil case against them that under that had to do with their control of the Android App Store, was a fight with Epic Games. Then the second suit, the second case against them from the DJ that Saga reference was over its search monopoly. This is a third issue for Google regarding their ad sales and so effectively. And I'll just read a little bit of how Stoler describes what they did and why you know there's a legitimate case against them. He says they locked in both sides of a network engaged in surveillance, thwarted rivals through course of practices and unlawful acquisitions and then manipulated pricing across a host of markets. And that's the essence of the case. You know, they got into this ad space early. This is the original Google founders were actually very leery of pairing advertising research because of the way that obviously is going to impact your results. Right, if you've got companies that are buying ads, you're going to be incentivized to put results for those companies at the top of the page. Then the next layer is, Okay, now we're going to place these ads actually on your website, which makes it even more of a conflict of interest.
Speaker 6: Then the next phase is.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're going to use all this data we're able to collect from those companies' websites and around the web to make it so it's basically impossible to compete with our ad product because we have so much data on these consumers and what it is that they want. Now, the counter case is the Google lawyers will argue, Okay, yeah, we've you know, we sell a lot of ads. Sure, but there are other places you can buy ads. It is a competitive market. You can buy ads on Instagram, you can buy ads on TikTok, there are any number of other alternative avenues you have to place and secure AD space. So that's going to be the argument Stoler, and I just you know, I defer to him because he looks at these issues so much more closely. He seems to think that the government does have a pretty strong case against them, even though Google does have some reasonable counter arguments. And what makes this so consequential is, Okay, Google has already lost in the search case. Now if they lose in the AD case, what is what is the remedy going to be? What does that look like? Are we actually talking about breaking Google up to constituent parts? And that is at this point very plausible, very plausible that that could be the end point here where you know, Google will still be fine whatever, you know, core parts of the business they remain, They retain, the different pieces of the business are you know, profitable on their own. But it does really put a crump in their style, as you're pointing out Zager, in terms of having the mass amount of cash available to them in order to you know, continue investing in AI in the massive quantities that they have there.
Speaker 2: There's also a Kamala angle. Let's put this up there on the screen. This is very interesting, important and you know, potentially very consequential is that Karen Dunn, who is one of the people who was preparing Kamala Harris for her debate, is also defending Google from a lawsuit being brought by the Biden Harris administration. This is from the American Prospect, but multiple other outlets have also picked it up. She literally was prepping legal defense strategy in Alexandria, Virginia courtroom for Google while also working at a law firm and being in the room for Kamala Harris debate preparation. There's probably no better visual into Washington politics as lady quote. If that seems to you like blatant conflict of interest, the Harris team would like to recommend you focus your attention elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Nothing to see because even the.
Speaker 2: Trump campaign is now picked up on it and criticizing her for coziness with the big tech top lawyers especially is noteworthy to me because not only is this lawyer very close with institutional democratic circles. Yeah, Kamala already has the problem of Tony West, who is her brother in law. She can't control who her family is. But you know, I don't know if this is common. Do you always have your brother in law is a very close political advisor to you, especially when he's a top lawyer for Uber and is a longtime connect to Silicon Valley, and you were the senator from California and you have all these connections. So I do think that there is very legitimate concern for Matt Soul from the American Prospect and others that a lot of action on anti trust from the Biden administration could be ditched by Kamala just given who her circles are and who she's currently brought in around her for closest closest advisors.
Speaker 1: If we had a better politics. These are the sort of questions that obviously to be asked. And I mean that, yeah, this is such a key question about that I have and that people who care about you know, corporate power should have about what a Kamala Harris administration would look like and what a Trump administration.
Speaker 6: Would look like.
Speaker 1: But you know they're they're listen. On the one hand, I'm sympathetic to the moderation because you only get ninety minutes and there are these big too. You know, you're going to ask about abortion, You're going to ask about the economy, You're going to ask about immigration.
Speaker 6: But this is, you know, part of why we need more from these candidates.
Speaker 1: We need more time from these candidates so we can really understand what their plans are. Kamala Harris is kind of an empty vessel, right, so it makes all these people she surrounds herself with more consequential. That's why I was, you know, really excited about the pick of Tim Wowles because of what that indicat with regards to his agenda in the state of Minnesota. That's why it's very pleased to see Brian Deese, who has been one of the better economic advisors to Biden and has been you know, really crucial pushing forward some of the best parts of his agenda, and I think was probably involved in some of the better parts of Kamala's announced agenda, the price gouging, the housing piece, all of the child six thousand dollars child tax credit, all of those pieces and why. On the other hand, it's troubling to see the closeness of someone like Karen Dunn, who is a long time Democratic Party She helped I think Hillary prepare for her to dates which I don't know why you wrote whatever it worked out in this case, Kambloy obviously came in and did a good job. She helped prepare Merrek Garland for his confirmation hearings. She is this longtime Democratic Party associated operative, and you know the closeness with Kamala not just in terms of the debate prep but as a larger advisor. Yeah, that's that's troubling. And there's been this billionaire led push to get rid of Lena Kahan and get undercut the fantastic trust busting work that the Biden administration has been doing. And it still is a question mark where what the direction is. So that's why you know, this may seem like inside baseball. It is inside baseball. But that's why we have to pay attention to these things, because we aren't getting direct answers about what Kamma's priorities would be, specifically with regard to corporate power. So this is one of those things that has to be seen as troubling. It's also wildlif just inside DC story here if you read this whole American Prospect story, because this particular law firm is where Jonathan Canter, yes, who now heads the doj Anti Trust Division and is you know, leading these cases against Google and other you know, giants and various sectors. He used to work there, and Karen Dunn comes in and she's going to represent Google, and he actually was represent some of the some of the people who were opposing Google in this suit, and so they were going to make him give up his clients and then he ends up going to the DOJ. So now this law firms, So there's like a law firm conflict of interest there too, because if you can imagine, they're handling the other side of this case, so they're privy to all of the strategy and the you know, research and all of the planning that's going on on the other side of the case, and then you know, now they're representing Google. So the government was arguing like this is really they have this massive conflict of interest. It's a really it's really a huge problem. The judge took those arguments pretty seriously as well. So anyway, little insight into the swamp here and how all of this works.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, Thank you guys so much for watching. We really appreciate you. We will have any breaking news, we'll cover it otherwise. We'll see you all on Monday.