Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal ll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for a day?
Speaker 2: Eat of steak?
Speaker 1: Is that woo? Woof?
Speaker 2: And Dan and tie.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the saliverbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hila Brandt. That fine gentleman over there as always in snowy but still cheery Chicago, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Andrewsteitzir, how are you good? Playing some tennis? Bacon, some pizza? Nothing crazy to report, though, I have been trying to potty train a three year old. Uh zah, it's an it's an ongoing process. This is a temp number two. He's doing a lot better this time, but it's it's an ongoing situation, Tyler. So that was my weekend. That's something I learned, by the way, if you're thinking about having children, could not recommend it enough. But weekends are different. Weekends become a lot more work than I was used to. So that's the only thing I have to add that just go in knowing that. Otherwise, ty I'm thrilled to be here, and you learn to appreciate work after weekends or long weekends with young children.
Speaker 1: So here we are.
Speaker 2: I'm great.
Speaker 1: Here we are. Welcome back in Dan. I'm glad you had a good weekend. It sounds like it was a mostly successful effort from the Marcos that we exchanged, so I'm pleased to hear that. I hope it can continue.
Speaker 2: Is going well.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the support from you. Please keep us posted on that front. Solid giveaway dot Com we posted a new item that is out there. Maybe y'all have heard of Reggie Bush well on the Heisman in two thousand and five. Reggie Bush has a signed mini helmet that we acquired via the interwebs and that we are now putting up as part of our Solid Giveaway item. So all I gotta do is go on out to sell giveaway.
Speaker 2: It's free.
Speaker 1: You just got to go through a few quick and easy steps to throw your hat in the ring, get your name in the hat to win that signed mini helmet by the one, the only Reggie Bush. We will pick a winner on Valentine's Day because, as you know, Dan, Reggie Bush stormed into the college football community and just stole our hearts. I'll tell you stormed into our hearts and minds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the early.
Speaker 1: Aughts captured our imagination and made us better college football fans for it. So so I'll giveaway dot coms where you can find that. Also Overballers dot com. I have pulled a passage here that we received at the bottom of our latest BRUINEDDA episode.
Speaker 2: We're doing bruant A.
Speaker 1: Episodes as we call them. It's our baress stuff. We've been doing it all throughout the regular season. We're going to continue doing it once week throughout the off season as well. Quote the show was so good, you guys need to work out a way to convey to the public that the bruin As are a big part of why the price of admission.
Speaker 2: Is worth it.
Speaker 1: WHOA, I don't know what that way YouTube cutups for teaser clips or what. But you guys just talking whilst I love that word guided by audience questions is always a joy. Thank you, mindsirt or Madam Verballers do. Com Boom is where you can go to find out more info on that. We offer the live stream of that video available to all The archived version is available to our premium tier, but everybody gets the audio at bare minimum. We take your questions every week, and honestly, it's one of the most exciting, most fun things that we do every week. I have nothing to add.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to get You want to give us some news before we get into our main subject. I do.
Speaker 1: I don't have the sound My soundboard died.
Speaker 2: Can you approximate it?
Speaker 1: Tie breaking news?
Speaker 2: I think we nailed it. We're like the guy oh now, I forget his name, Michael something from police Academy. That's a very old reference at this point in time. But we do have some news. So the playoff not expanding yet. We have a timetable.
Speaker 1: Screeching halt sounds at the ready, yesuse it sounds like that's where we're at. I did my best to skim the rather long Heather Dinnish article. Okay, fair, she does a great job.
Speaker 2: Awesome job.
Speaker 1: It appears as if the ACC has some reservations, particularly Clemson.
Speaker 2: Sort of yeah, it's it's more of first of all, capital T capital A. The alliance was not a part of the previous conversation. Of course, Georgie k coming in as the new commissioner in the PAC twelve was shadowing Larry Scott during the conversations about twelve team expansion, But in those meetings, not every commissioner was present. And of course Jim Phillips, the commissioner of the ACC, he is brand new as well, and so Kevin Warren relatively new in his own right in the Big Ten. So there is that concern because some of these commissioners are saying, look, what does this look like for the athletes? What does this look like with relation to nil? What does this look like in terms of expansion expansion of the sports schedule? And the Jim Phillips thing is he referenced talking to coaches who were unanimous and not wanting expansion, even though Pitt would have been in this past year if they had adhered to a conference champion model, and Clemson players specifically, per Jim Phillips, were not in favor of playing more games, which is not necessarily where this is all going if the regular season schedule is altered in some way. So I think the sentiment was, we're cool with expansion, but let's figure out how it can work for everybody, and everybody not necessarily meaning conference commissioners, but everybody coaching and playing and involved in scheduling and making this happen. From an administrative and competitive standpoint, so that, I guess is the point. Though it seems like expansion is inevitable, there are now factions and conversations around the margins about how this is all going to work. That has pushed it pushed things back to a place of I don't know, questionable scheduling, questionable scheduling the current I don't know when it's gonna happen. Yeah, the current.
Speaker 1: Format ends in what two years? Twenty twenty five, right, And so many of these early discussions I think are trying to go to a place where they could change it before then. But I think we're at a point one way or the other where they're gonna expand the playoff. It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when is it going to happen and works like yeah, right, and what it looks like. Is it going to happen before that twenty twenty five or twenty twenty six, whenever it is, or is it going to happen after all? Along there has been speculation media rights and what does it mean if they do it before versus after? It all goes to ESPN. If it's before, if it's after, they can chop it up. It seems there's a desire to chop it. There's like a whole slew of media related things that are involved here, but we haven't even gotten to that stage. Is what I think I took away from this. What we're still kind of squabbling over is where are we playing the games? How many games? I saw Jim Phillips, he had some thoughtful comments, Yeah, you know, with regard to players safety and health and playing the extra games. And I think it's fair to ask all those questions. I don't fault him for wanting to get answers to those beforehand.
Speaker 2: We will get there.
Speaker 1: It just may not happen as quickly as we were led to believe earlier this year when this working committee came back with the twelve team expansion idea or ideas.
Speaker 2: So we'll see. Yeah, it just all rubs me the wrong way, Tym. I've been somewhat consistent in this, Like, I know it's inevitable, I know it's happening. I know I will personally adjust, but I am still of the mind that this is not all the point of college football, that this shaping and growing of January in the sport. Like I understand everybody wants to find a national champion. Okay, great, I'm along for that, but that we are focusing so much and we're pouring so much into it when such so few teams actually have a chance of winning it, especially now that they're gonna have to win two or three games to win the whole thing, three four, whatever, however many games it's going to go to that, I think we're losing sight of the appeal and charm and the differentiating factors of the sport. Like I don't know, you ever go to a pro stadium and you know, like they build up the area around the stadium. There's like a yard house, you know, all those types of places. Like, are we just turning college football into a yard house? We're losing all of the like interesting unique local bars and restaurants, and we're all just dining at the places within three hundred and forty four feet of like the city this sends Bank Stadium or something, you know what I'm saying that Like we're just focusing on just like the big box element of January college football, and we're just like, I don't know, this just doesn't seem like the point of the sport.
Speaker 1: At all.
Speaker 2: And that's just me, I suppose, because obviously I'm in the minority here. But I don't know all of these stories. Just like God, we're thinking about January some more. This is what this is what we want from the sport. Okay, cool? And it just I don't know. Bums me out. I know what's happening. I know it's inevitable. I'll get on board in the way that I can, But I don't know, Ty, does this do it for you? Is this really doing it for you? That's a leading question.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of playing first round playoff games on campus. Sure, I don't know if that will happen, but at least that very specific aspect of some of the plans that have been floated, that very specific aspect is of incredible interest to me.
Speaker 2: I would love to see that.
Speaker 1: I think that would very much play into what you're just that nuance, the uniqueness of college football having games on campus.
Speaker 2: Right, Are they gonna do it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if that's something that they can agree to. Everybody seems wedded to the bowl system as it stands. You know, I'm not going to take the side on that. I just would love to see more games on campus. I think that's the one thing you and I can agree on. Beyond that, though, how they structure it, how teams get in, how deep into January this thing goes. It's also fair to ask those questions because for as much as we paid attention to the Alabama versus Georgia National Championship game, and for as much as I know that it was a big deal to watch that game on January tenth for most of the people who listen to the show, I also know there are a fair amount of folks who, after their team played their bowl game, presumably before January tenth, they were like, no, I'm good, I'm not gonna stay up. I'm not gonna stay up to watch the SEC championship game again. Just let me know what happens after the fact ESPN dot com, cbssports dot Com, and I'll be good with that. The same was true to an extent with the playoff right if your team wasn't in it, we saw ratings were down, and I could talk as much as I want about playing games in New Year's even what that means, But I just think they need to find some way to keep interest high. If they're going to really invest heavily into this twelve team model, now I'm all for it. I'm okay with it. I think at least initially, there will be interest in seeing what happens in those first two rounds.
Speaker 2: Everybody's getting participation trophies, right, that's the whole point of this. Allow more teams to participate with the same exact outcomes. Right, It's a participation trophy event coming to the sport we love.
Speaker 1: But they have not proven to me, through at least this first version of playoff expansion, if you want to call it that, when they went to four teams, they have not proven that they can drive that interest through a final four round, let alone a final twelve. I think the interest will be higher in a final twelve, probably more so than a final four.
Speaker 2: But maybe they have not proven. The powers that.
Speaker 1: Be have not proven that they have a good way to make the college football watching public very interested, as interested as they would like in that.
Speaker 2: Final four round.
Speaker 1: And so i'm they got to figure that part out. I don't I don't know if it's marketing, I don't know if it's by including more teams, whatever it is. But if you're going to expand at twelve. You've got to prove out that the interest is going to be as high as you want it to be.
Speaker 2: I am not bright enough, and please let me be the first to announce this. I'm not bright enough to understand TV ratings, what it all means, what to extrapolate from down ratings, from up ratings, how streaming numbers are involved or not involved, or people watching in groups or at bars or whatever. I don't know any of that stuff. That's not what I do. But it seems like with the playoff, people were super excited in twenty fourteen fifteen, right, that was the first season we get Oregon, Floria State, Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon. Excuse me, Oregon. Who do they play? Yeah, Oregon Ohio State in the National Championship. I think that was the highest rated game. And like it has just slowly fallen off every year, like people are excited for something new and then like the reality of the situation sets in and you're just like, oh, these are the teams built to win it every year. I just something tells me we're in for that with the twelve teamer that you know, the sport grows during the regular season and shrinks in the postseason, and we're having the people, the same people decide on this postseason that have been deciding on all of the postseasons, the commissioners and Bill Hancock and all these people, And I just think it's going to go that way, like there's going to be an inevitability to whatever this playoff becomes. That is going to sort of further steer like college football should be like this sport or like that sport instead of college football just being college football, right with trying to maximize what the regular season is, instead of saying what January is, like, Oh, we should get twelve teams or sixteen teams and be like a Sweet sixteen like college basketball or like the NFL, and like playing at home stadiums in the cold and get this team from Florida to a midwestern place and see how they play. Okay, cool, it's just going farther and farther, further and further away from I think what a lot of people or most people actually love about the sport. So I don't know, we'll see happy to be proven wrong, but it doesn't seem like people are into postseason college football for a national championship at the moment. Maybe that'll change when Pitt and Wisconsin and Baylor are playing. I don't know, maybe it will.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hard for me to see.
Speaker 1: Right in, let us know your thought, soliverbo atmail dot com.
Speaker 2: My hunch is that.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of varying opinions on this for a very subject. My opinion varies from day to day. Frankly, I've always been a playoff guy. I'm all in favor of twelve teams. But you can't help but be a little bit skeptical that this thing is going to end up being great for college football when you hear some of the behind the scenes sure conjecture, right, It's just, yeah, I think there's skepticism abound as to what it would do, what it would mean, how it would help, how it might hurt. The only way we're ultimately going to find out is when they put this thing into effect, whether it's an hour or later, and it will happen.
Speaker 2: But right in, by the way, thoughts, more money, way, more money for players would go a long way from me in appreciating any sort of expansion.
Speaker 1: That's all, Okay, we'll leave it at that. What else do we have around the world of college football very quickly before we get into our game.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of more money for other people beyond players, Kirk ference is now making seven million dollars a season, which is not an unheard of amount of money for a relatively successful coach, which he is. He made the Big Ten championship game this year. He's extended through twenty twenty nine. On the heels of I looked it up. Iowa had the one hundred and fourth most efficient scoring offense this year under his son, one hundred and fourth. I think he's cracked a top fifty points per drive offense once in the past ten years.
Speaker 1: So if that's.
Speaker 2: Worth seven mil, that's worth seven mil. And he dissolved the like Diversity council that he was spearheading that was on the council recommended that they move into a new direction with both hiring a new ad and new head football coach. So yeah, those are the goings on in Iowa City right now. Sucks. I guess if you're an Iowa fan looking for a new look Iowa offense.
Speaker 1: Not a great looked in, No, not a great look at all. But Kirk Farrens is sticking around until thirty twenty nine whenever it is, and I hopefully he can make some changes on offense. I don't know, he's not going to it's his kid, but no bringing.
Speaker 2: More cousins more to run things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody needs to offer Brian Farren's a job elsewhere to like run his own thing.
Speaker 2: Sure, like a Kinko's. What what kind of job are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but that was always the thing with Jay Paterno at Penn State, right.
Speaker 2: There are always jokes like, hey, are there.
Speaker 1: Any rich boosters who can offer this guy a job doing something else? Or do you own like a semi pro team that perhaps you could put him in charge of, just to get him out of that coordinator role.
Speaker 2: A reht Bomar no show car dealership job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that booster is at Iowa to be like, hey, buddy, you want to you want to sell medical parts, you want to sell you want to sell any sort of equipment that people and you just don't have to do it. You just show up and be like, hey, I'm Brian, what would you like to know about what it's like to stand on the field at Kinnick and hopefully you can move some catheters.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So that's Iowa football right now. We've got transfers, we've got NFL declarations. George is gonna look very different next year, and by golly, I think they're still gonna be talented ty, By golly, I think they're gonna field a good team. But like the headline names, James Cook, Nacobe Dean Jordan Davis obviously has gone, George Pickens, DeVante Wyatt lewis seen who was so good all season long at safety, So they're gonna look very different. They've had some transfers at corner, I believe, but I saw Nolan Smith, the edge rusher outside linebacker. He announced he's returning. Stetson Bennett expected to return. That they're just gonna look very different, but I don't anticipate a giant drop off. I don't believe they're gonna be national championship contenders, but who knows, ty, come on, they're one of like the six teams that can win it all most years, So who am I to say? Okay?
Speaker 1: Any other news?
Speaker 2: Jhalil Billingsley to Texas following old offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian Drew Sanders, the BAMA linebacker. Bama's lost a few kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: There's no way to keep up. Like Caleb Williams. The time of this recording, Mida Monday has not signed anywhere, though Mario Williams is now former receiver at Oklahoma, is going to sc Jackson Dart, the freshman USC quarterback who entered the portal, is deciding allegedly between Ole Miss and A and m or excuse me, Ole Miss and Oklahoma. And I think you had some thoughts like why would he consider Oklahoma when Gabriel's there? Yeah? I mean what am I missing? Why?
Speaker 1: I understand that there is an appeal with Jeff Levy, Right, I get that, and that's why Dylan Gabriel went there, right, they're trying to I get that. I understand that. What I don't understand for the life of me is why, if you're Jackson Dart, why would you go into a situation like that? Why would you sign up for a situation right where there's already a very obvious starter who is signed on to play at Oklahoma and you know that from day one you're going to be in a fierce competition to get playing time.
Speaker 2: I understand these guys you have, like a down quarter they're calling for the other guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand that if you are a quarterback recruit at that level, you are supremely confident in your own abilities. I'm not saying you shouldn't seek out some level of competition, but this is a one time transfer rule.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if you want to go, and if you want to get immediate eligibility, and presumably if you want to be an NFL quarterback and get the most out of your college experience, why would you not go into a situation where there is less resistance. You know, everybody, everybody wants to talk the game, and everybody wants to beat out the next best guy and prove their metal at the college level. That's very admirable. Go where you're going to get playing time. Go to Ole Miss. Ole Miss is fine. You will do well at Ole Miss. You can play for Charlie Weish junior and Lane Kiffin, and you can leave in two years. I don't know what Charlie West Junior's got up his sleeve, but nonetheless, there's a lot less resistance at Old Miss than there is.
Speaker 2: At at Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: What are you doing goosing? It's fine, it's great. You loved your time in Oxford? Great, right, yeah, it's a fun time. I don't I don't believe Jackson Dart will be tailgating in the way that I was tailgating when I was twenty three years old or however old. I was with a bunch of college girls and sun dresses, and it was a very different experience for me that I'm sure it would be friendy ole Miss quarterback tailgating. I suppose you're attending that school.
Speaker 2: So, uh, he might really like Oklahoma. He might really like Brent Venables. He would be playing behind an offensive line coach by one of the what best three, if not the best offensive.
Speaker 1: But what he won't play until next year? Right? You think he's gonna beat out Dylan Gabriel.
Speaker 2: I don't. I mean, so Jackson Dart attends USC with another blue chip quarterback and beat him out Miller Moss for the backup job behind Keaton Slovas. So on a certain level, they're like, you gotta bet on yourself, right, Like ole Miss is still bringing in quarterbacks. Ole Miss might bring in a five star, like they might bring in arch Manning, Like this is a landscape now where you're like, well, I'm gonna I'm gonna go where field, where it feels right, where the coaches are the best at developing quarterbacks, and of course that's where all the quarterbacks want to go. So Jackson Dart, I don't know him personally, don't really know people that know him all that well, but you have to assume that he feels pretty good about his chances about starting wherever he goes based on the interest that he's received since entering the portal, Like where would he like, should he go to cal and be the next average you know, play behind an average offensive line and not throw to NFL receivers? Like, I don't know, what are you supposed to do? I understand that it's a should he go to Michigan and like try to beat out Cade McNamara and JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 1: What's the move? It's a fluid situation, yeah, pretty much all day every day now in college football between the nil stuff and the transfer rule and just it's different, right, It's different than it was five years ago, ten years ago. I get that it's fluid. I get that it's a moving target. I get that there is no silver bullet. I just don't understand. Like Dylan Gabriel. Dylan Gabriel is a good example. Dylan Gabriel, Yeah, decided to go to Oklahoma after he saw that there was an opening with Caleb Williams leaving Sure all right, he took this philosophy of Hey, first off, there was a relationship there with Jeff Levit, it made sense that he'd want to go there and play for him. But as soon as he found out there was an opening, he pulled back his commitment to UCLA and decided he was going to go somewhere else. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Path of these resistance.
Speaker 1: If you have the one time transfer, don't burn it on like a dream. Burn it on a place where you can go and play, and hopefully, if you want to play in the league, give yourself the most area, the best opportunity to do so. I just the betting on your on yourself thing makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: You have to do that on sub level, but don't be stupid about it.
Speaker 2: Go where you're gonna play, but everywhere you go there is going to be a quarterback of the future or another quarterback behind you. That fans are going to clamor for that coaches are going to consider if you struggle, if he had stayed at USC, He's like I can beat out Kayleb Williams like, and you though, like, I don't know what the solution is, Like you either go somewhere where there aren't there isn't talent around you and the coaches don't have a track record of developing NFL caliber quarterbacks, or someplace that has lost a bunch of guys to the portal for whatever reason, or that they don't have faith in their current quarterback of the future. But all of these places, because of transfers, because of you know, everything going on the movement in the sport, they're all going to load up at quarterback.
Speaker 1: But then why not just stay at USC if you're so confident, Just stay at USC and beat out.
Speaker 2: Whoever they bring in. Because he probably believes and rightfully so, Caleb Williams, if he's coming to USC is already Lincoln Riley's guy, already has a leg up on the Lincoln Riley system, already is in with the Lincoln Riley guys in way of life.
Speaker 1: Well, what about he probably me Jeff Dylan Gabriel is a Lebby guy.
Speaker 2: Well Leby was old missed, though there was at least some sort of space there, And I, you know, I don't know, Ty, you might just go to a school where you're like, this place feels like home, right this place, see I'm looking out. Maybe they have everything.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm too cynical at this stage in the game. But guys are getting money, guys are going place as they're transferring like never before because they want to play in the NFL. Sure, and so feels like home. You know, you can make any place feel like home if you're getting seven figures, or if you're getting a good nil deal, or if you've got people in your ear telling me the right stuff. So I only half buy that. In most cases, I just don't. I don't get decision making.
Speaker 2: So ole Miss is the obvious choice for you to play for Lane Kiff. With Matt Crow moving on to the NFL. Ole Miss has a new offensive coordinator or not that it's not Lane Kiffin's offense, and Charlie weis junior. They lost a bunch of I think lost some offensive skill talent to the draft. I just I at least Brent Venables has like its fresh eyes right, that he himself is not necessarily loyal to Dylan Gabriel or Jackson Dart either way, that I guess is the case. Like right now, is there any other school where you're like, oh man, why not go here? Why not go to North Carolina unless you believe in Drake may is at the quarterback of the future, Like why not go to Like what's the school? What are the other options? Right now? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't ask me. I don't don't go to Stanford. Their offense, they were producing NFL level quarterbacks and now they're not. I just don't.
Speaker 1: I just don't get it. I don't get it. There is another very high profile quarterback that has transferred into Oklahoma and now you are going to go there too again. One time rule you could transfer rule, but that you know that gets murky. One time rule, make it worth it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe Dylan Gabriel's I think what he broke his classical Maybe he's got a bum collarbone that like, I don't know, he's not throwing right, I don't know, I don't know. I'm just speculating. I'm completely guessing that there's some reason that he feels like he could win a job anywhere, and those are the places that appeal to him. If I were him. If I were him, I would look up who the best offensive line coaches are in the country. After what Keidan's Slovas was like on the you know, under constant pressure at USC. I don't blame him for that. USC couldn't develop that many. I think they had a couple of offensive line draft picks, But I don't blame him for looking at it like that. I look forward to seeing where he goes. I look forward to following his career. He looks like Anakin Skywalker, right, that's his thing.
Speaker 1: That That is literally why he does the EyeBlack thing. Yeah right, okay, that's literally why. So all right, we've got a fun game planned for today. Yes, we're gonna be logging onto the internet. Dan, can you please play that sound for me? Of course, there it is. Everybody knows this sound unless you are a youth. So a gen z our bod modems are dialed in. We are hardwired now into the good old fashioned interwebs. For as long as I can remember, for as long as you can remember, message boards have powered the college football community. It is truly one of the things that has made college football unique. Every sport has it, college football takes it to something of a different level. Yes, Over the last couple of years, there have been a variety of social media accounts that have popped up to track some of the oddities that transpire in this very secular or these very secular college football ecosystems. One that you and I have grown particularly fond of is called message board Geniuses Accurate treasurer at board geniuses on Twitter. We're big fans of the work. They don't know that we're doing this, But.
Speaker 2: Is that boa r D or b o r e D.
Speaker 1: It could be the hand Yeah, that's true. I believe it's just bo ar D genius, Okay. And what they do is they capture some of the local flavor from around college football. I'm assuming many of these are sent and they're not in any position to track all of them at once. It would be a gargantuan effort. But what you and I have done is we have gone through this beloved Twitter feed. We have pulled some of our favorites and we are actually going to analyze the veracity of some of these claims right as you might expect. Some are just incredibly galaxy brain and overthought and ridiculous in nature. Some actually I pulled a couple. It's like, okay, okay, I can I can.
Speaker 2: Maybe see this some board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on board. For those watching the video, I put together a tinfoil hat that I'm now.
Speaker 2: Putting on you.
Speaker 1: You look wonderful. I put the tinfoil hat on here. Uh huh.
Speaker 2: I'm going to wear it for.
Speaker 1: The remainder of the episode because we need to do so in order to talk through some of these things. Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: By the way. Can I ask you? Can I ask you about the ethics of screen grabbing paywalled in some cases, in most cases, messages on messages on message boards. Do you think it's okay in the interest of hilarious transparency or do you think it's akin to the matt Ufford theory of nobody should ever film anybody else at karaoke, right, that that's a private, safe place to get things off of your chest and to vent in a lot of the same ways, karaoke is right. That you're just like I'm gonna have a couple of drinks. I had a rough work week. I'm just gonna belt out. Let's do it for the boys or whatever your your karaoke song is. Do you feel that it's an unethical violation to publicize this kind of private space.
Speaker 1: Clearly they are not the ones going out and getting these screen right, of course they're being sent to them, but.
Speaker 2: They're publicizing how many Twitter followers does something right. It's not insignificant, So I am okay with it. Because we college we cover college football from the national broad view, where all of these things at the more team specific level are not always visible, so I appreciate the level of insight. I say it's okay because I believe they only post anonymous accounts, so it's not Dave Davis from Dave Davis Dental posting. Here's what I think about you know so and So's ex wife. I think I'm okay with the anonymous element of it. So I'm okay ethically with the ridiculous things we're about to approach. So you got a bunch here? Were you a poster ever? Yes?
Speaker 1: A lurker?
Speaker 2: Yes? And yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? How many message board accounts do you have?
Speaker 2: Currently just one and I can't say much beyond that. But I way back when I used to lurk and I think occasionally post. My career is a no small parts message boards.
Speaker 1: You know this. I do tell my story band great story.
Speaker 2: I spammed when I was at before I was at SI, when I was doing the college what was the College Football Tour Guide? How I got my start in my own website doing these videos at Tailgates. I used to spam every single Scout and Rivals message board with my videos. I used to embent every single one of them, like, hey, I went to text A and M this week. Hey, and I just put put it on every site and it got viewers, it did well, and then I just I got banned I'm sure from all of them, but it worked, so uh, don't do that now. That's not nice. But yeah, I used to post and uh lurk some on I don't remember if I paid or if I got comped by people. I know that I don't remember because it was so long ago. We're talking like eight oh nine, twenty ten. Somewhere in there at e Duck, which was part of the Scout community when scout dot com was a thing. But that's I did look up your handle, your chosen handle today on Google to see there's nothing that exciting now in terms of Google results. But yeah, I am quite familiar, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was part of two at one point three and now only just one, which I can't say more about either. O'h look at you. But I understand the ecosystem well. I think in order to be a true college football fan, I wouldn't suggest you go out there and start posting, but you at least need to understand that this is a pretty good hotbed for strange opinions and strange takes. As it relates to individual teams in college football, we'll.
Speaker 2: Get into it. Isn't it amazing though, that you think about every single advance in web technology, every single podcasting videos, any sort of language. I don't know what Python is, I have no clue, but there's different languages, there's different ways of conveying information, different social media platforms. But if you want to make a good amount of money in college football, there are like three and a half ways, and one of which is by running a very successful paywalled message board site. Correct and this is technology from late nineties, Like this is not crazy advanced web technology, and yet the appeal for people to spend money is to collectively as a community, guess about recruiting that Like, you can be a former player who makes a ton of money on TV or the radio. You can run a message board, or you can be like Bryce Young. Those those are your options right now to make a bunch of money in college football. And so I mean good for the people who have been able to like sustain this, because really this is the move. Like we know people who run these sites that have a lot of subscriber to do we do. There's some cash in it. There's absolutely some cash in it. So listen, I tip my cap. And it's one of the ongoing surprises of the Internet and sports that this is just hand over fist if you're doing it right for the right team.
Speaker 1: It is very much in the broad stroke of the Internet as analog as it gets. But alas message boards have persisted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over the years, the cockroaches of this current apocalypse. I want to call reference to this suite.
Speaker 1: Okay, hit may this tweet that was posted back on January the twelfth. It looks like this one was found over at eleven Warriors. Oh, shout out Ramsey, Shout out Ramsey, great Ohio State site. Okay, what is what is the what is the message? I have a new conspiracy theory. Nick Saban and Dion Sanders are in multiple ATHLAC commercials together more than likely with connected agents. Uh huh. I say that Nick Saban is endorsing Jackson State to top recruits as an alternative to signing with Bama. Why Jackson State becomes a farm team for Bama to poach second to third year players when needed, plus any academic and personal issues get worked out by Jackson State. Simply put, Saban gets first DIBs on the JSU transfers and might be able to request them to happen.
Speaker 2: First of all, obviously not true. I love this energy here. This is a energy message board. Energy. This is great. This is great. Where there's no evidence, there's no logic, But at the same time, I can connect some dots in my head where I'm like, I love where this guy's head is at. Like it makes no sense, but I just love where this guy or gal's head is at. So I'm for this theory. Ty.
Speaker 1: Do you remember we had Joel klad on the show, and sure, and we called out that we had heard from some folks that he may fashion himself a weird college football conspiracy theorist on a few select topics. This feels like a Platt type of thing.
Speaker 2: You think Joel Klatt believes or potentially believes that Nick Saban is steering top recruits to Jackson State based on the fun he has with Deon Sanders filming commercials.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it's a possibility.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have no evidence otherwise, so I will say I love your energy in theorizing that Joel Clatt may buy into this theory. By the way, messageboard geniuses ranked their top sites, and I think textags the legendary Texas A and M site ran away with just in perusing like there should be some sort of textags and maybe this already exists, like a convention of some kind, like a meeting of the minds, like in the way that we have these international symposiums, whereas a politicians, well no, I'm saying, like Davos, yea, all like the world leaders and like billionaires come together, like how can we enrich the world? Like I think the top posters at textags should be meeting up in some sort of symposium. I love this idea, Like, here's one staff. Will we get any more commitments before the December tenth weekend? This is from ourtp Aggie. My wife is trying to plan her schedule for the month. She likes to know which nights we're getting a commitment, so she knows when I will not be quote available for her on those nights. I know y'all understand. I don't know if I do, but I would love to learn more. Is he talking about adventures romantically? Is he talking about like just helping out around the house because he's going to be too ensconced in the message board, in textags, learning about this new commitment, watching tape, forming opinions about how this new commitment will be involved in the depth chart and what his ceiling will be for the aggies. I would love to know all of these things. And you know what, as we have both learned as married dudes, it's really good to give advanced warning when we have plans. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think this is a thoughtful post. I think it's great.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's thoughtful.
Speaker 1: Do you have any friends who have gone down the recruiting rabbit? Hole with Oregon specifically, Ah, I have a friend who did I have a friend who with Notre Dame, with Penn State. I'm not gonna say, okay, but you have a friend who like has quote unquote sources and is like deeply in that world. He doesn't have sources, but he's very deep into this world. Okay, and he may or may not have tweeted at recruits on multiple occasions.
Speaker 2: We found it.
Speaker 1: We didn't know as a larger group of friends how to how to address this subject with this gentleman. Is an intervention required?
Speaker 2: What do we do if if somebody was going to games, the high school games, not going.
Speaker 1: Not going to high school games. He's got kid, that's a level, man, that's a level. Definitely was following progress throughout high school games, but not actually at the games physically. Okay.
Speaker 2: This is definitely a vibe, definitely a vibe.
Speaker 1: To be that integ It is great that you're altering the schedule like that.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's thoughtful.
Speaker 1: It is overpoort, it's let's be real, it's a little much, but I appreciate the commitment to the bit.
Speaker 2: I like that it potentially is about him spending romantic time with his wife that he is he is such a force of nature that his wife needs to know in advance when he's a fail, that she is like, Okay, I have to prepare, I have to get ready for this kind of thing. Yeah, I remember the intro. I don't think this guy was like super involved, like down deep in the wormhole. But I remember around two thousand and two maybe he attended USC. A friend from high school and he told me he was really excited because like a five star offensive lineman was coming to USC Okay, And my first thought was, wait, how do you know. Isn't there just some big reveal who the new freshmen are going to be? How would anybody know in advance who an incoming? And I think it was Jeff Byers, I want to say, an offensive lineman from I believe, Colorado. But that was my first approach to college football recruiting, being a thing like what he's got this intel and then it just you know, went from there. And I was in college at the time.
Speaker 1: I had no idea.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I know some people who've gotten pretty pretty deep into it, but nothing on the level of this post or attending high school games. What is your next message?
Speaker 1: My next message kind of akin to the wife and being prepared. This is just a weird one from a Virginia tech fan who says, quote can tell from those snug jeans referring to Brent pry that the dude's got a hog. So mm of course sure, uh huh. No, My actual one is a post from a Georgia fan. Do you not want to talk about the Virginia tech fan? I mean, I don't really much to add.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm not asking you to add to that specific visual in that thought.
Speaker 1: But okay, the question is a.
Speaker 2: Hold on indulge me. It's almost February. The question is this Virginia tech fan is looking at Brent priz'e snug we said jeans pants whatever, he's wearing jeans and said he's got a huge hog, which great, good for him, whether it's true or not. What is the extrapolation, like, what is the cowherd level thinking? Okay, this is who Brent Priye is physically, this is what it means, Like he's going to go for it on more fourth downs, He's going to be more aggressive, He's going to have more testosterone about his work, like he is going to have more confidence as a recruiter wearing these types of pants, Like, what is the cowhard level extrapolation.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're the one wearing the tinfoil hat. I am wearing the tinfoilhut. I guess the extrapolation is that observation, combined with the fact that he's got a very strong hairline his te levels may lead to the conclusion that there's a lot of masculinity there. Of course, perhaps that will in some way drive the Virginia Tech program forward. I don't know, I'm making this up on the float.
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering what the excitement is around that as it relates, or it's just an observation, or just like we got to get to know this new guy. Here's some facts about Brent Prye has called really good defenses at Penn State, has a history in the mid Atlantic region, can walk into a room and impress you depending on the tightness of his pants. Like, I don't know, I love again love the energy here.
Speaker 1: Let me go over to ugussports dot com. This is about Stetson Bennett and I saw this and I was like, that's funny. I kind of get it. Quote I love the kid, and he was forever be a champion. Not great grammar, but our defense just carried this team to a national championship. Next year, our offense will have to be far more dynamic as a defense reloads, and we all know Stetson and it isn't the guy to make that happen. For his sake and for our programs, I hope he rides off into the sunset. It's time to see what one of the young guys can do. I don't hate this general conspiracy, but yeah, I don't hate the sentiment because look, stets and Bennet got better. Stets and Bennett won a national championship. Stets and Bennett was.
Speaker 2: Good in this game. Yes, uh, he finished it well.
Speaker 1: Finished first three quarters I would say were pretty dicey. Finished it well, but got the job done. Definitely improved from last year this year. I understand where this is coming from. This is coming from the same place that my Ian book sentiment came from a year ago, which is he's good, he's great, he won a lot of games, in this case, won a national championship, and never gonna be able to take that away from him. There is a very clear ceiling. Mm hmm. There's a very clear ceiling. So if you're a Georgia fan, and if you're looking at the recruiting class, and if you've got you know, a brock and like all these guys coming in, I understand wanting to know, would somebody else give us a higher ceiling on offense because clearly that's the area where Georgia needs to improve next seme, So I get it, I get it. I would also say, maybe take.
Speaker 2: A beat to enjoy that you won the national championship.
Speaker 1: Now I love this, turn the page.
Speaker 2: But it's always about the next game. What are we going to do next? This is what sport are we talking about here?
Speaker 1: Ty? So from that standpoint, I'm wearing the hat. Maybe it's getting into my brain, but I understand the logic here. I'm okay with I'm totally with it.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily agree with it, but I appreciate it because this is like college football distilled into a series of letters and spaces that sure, this guy did something that no modern quarterback has done in forty years for our program, surrounded by great talent, with a great defense, et cetera, et cetera. But the argument could also be made that Stetson Bennett was much more consistently good than any other modern Georgia quarterback, Like he didn't throw in the sheer number of dud games that guys like Matt Stafford or Aaron Murray or whoever Jake from Jake Eason threw in as starters at at Georgia. But at the same time you're seduced by the what if you're seduced by the future. You know what you have in Stetson Bennett. You don't know what you have in like Brock vandergriff or whoever the next guy is for Georgia. And so I'm okay with this. I don't think it's insane at all. I think it's consistent with what we what we know about the sport, so I appreciate it with it Red Raidersports dot Com from Reckham four thirty two, my cousin sells weed in Southlake, a very nice area of Austin, and he said Quinn and his buddy Brady Boyd wide receiver at Minnesota are one hundred percent confirmed to the eight oh six. The eight oh six area code, just to be clear, appears to be Northwest Texas where Lubbock is hand in South Plains, including the cities of Amarillo and Lubbock. Quen You weres not signed sealed delivered to Texas Tech. Correct that that's per my latest understanding of the portal.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know if you have rankings in terms of like here are the trustworthy sources? Is a weed dealer top five, top ten? Because some people are going to know there are always going to be whispers out there that like Bruce Feldman or Nicole Auerback or Pete Fammel are not hip too. We're always going to have those people who know well in advance. This guy failed the drug test, this guy's flunking out of school, this guy's transferring, this guy hates the coach, this guy's dad hates the coach. Whatever, there's always going to be like and those are correct. Those are good sources with good information. I would just like to figure out how trustworthy a weed dealer, because if said weed dealer is the weed dealer of people within the program and they trust him or her for whatever reason with transfer information or like this guy's coming, that's pretty cool. Didn't work out in this scenario. This dealer is oh for something, But.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like that this poster is has hit the streets in terms of figuring out where the murmurs and whispers is sharing that pounding the pavement. A Woodward Bernstein of the message board generation, I'm good with it. It didn't work out, but he took a shot.
Speaker 1: He took a.
Speaker 2: Shot and sharing some intel that didn't work out. Still good with it.
Speaker 1: Here's one from the Michigan faithful Dan. Yeah, Michigan came in flat happy to be there. I think he's talking about the play off, bad game plan, poor adjustments in the game, just got away, good season, but Michigan should be playing Bama for the title. Mm hmm. All these analysts is garbage about Michigan getting a taste of elite.
Speaker 2: Nope, too bad.
Speaker 1: Hopefully next time they are better prepared. The implication here is that Georgia is still a second fiddle to Michigan, that Michigan is better than the Dragon Bulldogs, despite the fact that this. We watched that game, so this.
Speaker 2: Can happen, right, and Bill Connolly has a metric about second order wins where there are games in which because of weird occurrences or maybe that's you know, freak freak injuries or whatever where it's just like, man, this team looks like they should have won. They seem to have dominated the game. But whether it was special teams miscues or a couple uncharacteristic explosion plays, whatever, this other team won. Was there any part of you after watching Michigan Georgia that no, you that you sat back and said, man, I just I think Georgia was smoking mirrors there?
Speaker 1: No, No, this is a very common message board posting.
Speaker 2: By the way, we were the better team. Yeah, yeah, of course, very common. I can't get on board with this.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the attempt, and I think it can apply to certain matchups. I'm not I'm not in this, not in this situation.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is from seventy three, really seventy three on horns two four seven. If you're on the board anywhere, PK Pete Kwitkowski, defensive coordinator, Texas. I'll be at Austin this week. Let's blanking throw down. If I win, you get the blank out of Texas and go back to the West Coast. If you win, you can stay and quote coach, you're bleeping too high safety defense spoiler alerts. I'm gonna kick your bleep bleep.
Speaker 1: You. Let's settle this like Men by the Bleachers made in Temecula. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So should more coaching decisions come down to whether or not a coordinator can defeat a specific message board poster.
Speaker 1: I'm not totally against it its content.
Speaker 2: Should the more savvy coaches out there, assistants, head coaches or whatever, do anonymous town halls with message boards so Pete Pitkowski would at least be offered a chance to respond to seventy three really seventy three and perhaps reveal his own martial arts background or fighting background so that everybody could know. And I'm not saying they should settle it this way, like I don't think scheme decisions should be based on an ability to defeat a message board poster in hand to hand combat. I don't, but I think there should be considerations. I think that if it's decided that we know about the background, the fighting background is seventy three, and we learned about the fighting background of Pete Kwakowski, I don't think.
Speaker 1: They should fight.
Speaker 2: But I think if Pete Quickowski knows that he's physically outmanned, that he listened to seventy three in this town hall and not necessarily implement, but at least listen to his suggestions. If he finds out that seventy three is in fact a trained killer of some kind, I mean, I guess the flip he's going to have to prove his bona fides. The flip side would be somebody on an LSU message board wanting to fight Coacho, which is a tough beat. I don't think you want to fight Coacho. Know don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what his level of training is. I have seen his intensity on the sidelines, and we've read about his intensity for years. I feel like you only post this if you feel like you have a decent chance, or at least you shouldn't post it unless you have a decent chance.
Speaker 2: Now, let's just assume this lady or gentleman is chemically altered and felt especially brave and challenging via message board the defensive coordinator to a fight. But at the same time, I appreciate the like heads up, like here is when I'm gonna be in Austin the assumption that Peklekowski's trolling the message board or peakless people are trolling the message board, here is my schedule with which you can use the information, however you want to set up a fight. Also, I don't like that he didn't set up the parameters of the fight. Are they boxing? Is it no holds barred? What is probably no choice? I think it's I think it's bar style fighting. Anything goes, I think so, Yeah, eye gouging, nutshots, whatever.
Speaker 1: Is Johnny Cash, it's boy named Sue, it's you know, okay, you got the pocket knife?
Speaker 2: Whatever, whatever. I just think he's so organized with like letting Pete Kokowski know when he's gonna be in town. He might have an idea of like the ideal way to fight because he's kind of being a gentleman about it in a backwards way.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's our theory on coaches actually reading message boards.
Speaker 2: Of them or their people or family members?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I agree. There is somebody in the the Alabama program, in the Clemson program, in the Ohio State program monitoring, And I guess this is like a succession reference, like they're they're they're monitoring the temperature of the digital fan base.
Speaker 1: It was it was told to me by a mutual friend of ours, uh, somebody who who pedals in much of these coaching rumors that one hundred percent of the time, they know everything being said about them. For as confident as they may come across on the surface, they're all terribly insecure and know everything that's being said about them always. So now just assume that they have people who are monitoring. Yeah, okay, what do you have next?
Speaker 2: This is from what is this site?
Speaker 1: This is from a BAMA site Bama Online titled Katie Freakin' Perry We are zero and two when she is affiliated with one of our games. First all missed. Now this please never again. I can get behind this. You know, I'm very superstitious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where that goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a tie and this is speaking right into the heart of me as a college football fan. Yeah, for a long time, I would not pick Notre Dame to win on this podcast to cover a point spread. I tried the reverse jinks. I quit the day job. I decided, Okay, we're gonna start a new chapter. We're not gonna do that Notre Dame one eleven and one. And I didn't really even think twice about should I be picking should I not be picking? Here? I just made a full break from it, and it worked out okay for me. There are still many other aspects of my life where you know, if there's something that maybe gives me a little bit of discomfort around the decision, if maybe the universe is sending me an odd sign, I just kind of cautiously back away from that. I appreciate this. I appreciate that they're posting this, and it may have been a tongue in cheek post.
Speaker 2: For me, it would have been.
Speaker 1: I have long said that the green jersey games for Notre Dame football, even though the numbers don't back me up, curse it. Yeah, the green jerseys are cursed. Man, don't wear the green jersey.
Speaker 2: I get it's a novelty.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: Stick to what works.
Speaker 1: The current uniforms are working fine. You don't need to do the green jersey thing and freak me out. And so I appreciate the black cat that is Katy Perry here in this case. I appreciate the the anxiety that it might provoke among the fan base. This is totally something I can get on board with.
Speaker 2: Look if Alabama, he says Alabama, right, the Alabama fan base oz and two there she was at the Old Miss game and talked about Trevor Knight and all sorts of stuff. If they have bad blood with Katie Perry, you got to go after the other side of bad blood, do you not? You gotta get t Swift on game day, be solution oriented. I believe that's who bad Blood is about, right it was.
Speaker 1: But then they did a video together and I think they buried defenses. Yeah, they buried the hatchet. That's too bad.
Speaker 2: And again I think T Swift lives in Tennessee. I think she lives.
Speaker 1: She lives in one day, So does she. You're you've been following close than I have. Yeah, that's what I'm told for my sources, Okay, but I don't for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Katie Perry's tough man, She's tough, staying power, I would say, as we've talked about, Uh, next one I have, I'm gonna stick with Texas here because.
Speaker 1: The's just so good.
Speaker 2: Uh. This is from Brazil Horn. I don't know which Texas site this is from. It's not on this screen grab. I hope Baylor Stadium gets foreclosed on in the Magnolia f heads buy it for pennies on the dollar, cover it in ship lap, and hang barn doors over the entrances. Then make it. This is my word a crappy, but you know what, I'm substituting B and B.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I like that level of intensity.
Speaker 2: Well, it's so specific because the local knowledge is strong, Yeah, that they know that this poster brazil Horn, perhaps all the way from South Powell is making reference to Chip and Joanna. I don't know if I've actually watched the show, but I've seen pictures of extras stories about ours fixer upper. I have not been in the stadium. I don't know whether or not ship lap and barn doors that like fake vintage farmhouse look would improve it. It's relatively new, but I appreciate the specificity of that kind of message board anger, even though it doesn't fully make sense, because I think that would only encourage more and more people to be excited within the stadium because apparently their store in Texas is like the most popular tourist destination in the state, right, So that would just get people jumping and getting in line for Baylor tickets to make a ton of noise in that stadium. So yeah, I appreciate it. It's it's sort of off the beaten path as a trash talking subject, but I'm good with it. We drove past it.
Speaker 1: We drove past it on our journey from Austin up to Dallas before one of our life shows a couple of years ago. Now it feels like an eternity, you go, because we haven't done live shows forever. I thirty five, if I want to say correctly, we were driving past it. We drove past it in the daylight, and yeah, I was not impressed by it.
Speaker 2: From Afar, it did not well, it didn't do much for me, but we weren't inside.
Speaker 1: We weren't inside, and people who are who I've been inside, say it's it's a fun place to watch a game. And I will try to stay objective. I would just say from Afar, driving past at like seventy five miles an hour, it was it was sort of unspectacular to me. That being said that this is a different level of intensity. It is, but I like the local knowledge. I think if you're going to trash talk a stadium, if you're going to trash talk a fan base, I know Baylor fans are particularly proud of the new stadium, and they should be. This is the level of intensity I think that you need.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you have next?
Speaker 1: I've got one here from USC fans. Oh love that. Yes, this is some good forward thinking with Brian Kelly out at Notre Dame. I don't see a loss on the schedule. If you go undefeed it win the Pac twelve, we are in the playoffs. No way in the world the networks would give up the LA TV market, Dan, the budding LA college football TV market, which we never talk about in the program for good reasons. Not seeing a loss on the schedule is another one of those common strokes among message board posters. People who look at a schedule, they look at the surroundings going into a new season, and are just very bullish on the team comically. So, of course, talk to me about USC's depth chart, talk to me about this roster. Obviously, if they get Caleb Williams, that'd be a pretty big boon. They already got Mary Williams, the transfer wide out from Oklahoma, So Lincoln Riley's doing a good job. But also got a bunch of guys transferring in. Yeah, but also so it's not as if the cabinet is fully stocked and ready for a national championship run in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Am I right in saying that I see losses. So Notre Dame is if you're looking at the schedule, Notre Dame is the end of the season, right, Yeah, So they have Notre Dame with we don't even know who the starting quarterback is going to be. They're at UCLA. It's in La but at Ucla who they just got destroyed.
Speaker 1: By, right correct?
Speaker 2: This past year. They've got a Colorado team that's kind of floundering cal who knows, Arizona improving at Utah. At Utah's a penciled in win the pactal champ with their returning started quarterback. Okay, at Utah, we've got Wazoo at home, Arizona State at home, Oregon State on the road. Remind me who won that game last year? I believe the comfortably? Yeah, yeah, Fresno State with Jeff Tedford who's back baby, he's back. Rice in Stanford. They don't too much for me regard like if u SC somehow runs the table, they run the table. I don't see it. I think there's at least three or probably two or three four losses whatever, because it's year one and it's just difficult to win big right away when you don't have the depth to do so. But it is the Pac twelve, and they don't have a challenging game in the non conference part of the early schedule. They notre Dame to finish, So I am not taking this seriously. I wonder, though, does Lincoln Riley in LA? In LAX? Does he pass the Hudson News test in LA? Yeah? He does? In Norman?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oklahoma City he does. In Norman he does.
Speaker 1: In doubts he probably does in it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think he would be recognized in most large airports, mid size airports near major college football hubs, definitely. I don't know about Philly, No, no, but I'm saying Philly's not a major college football But LA is interesting to me, Like you'd be recognized in the Nashville Airport, in the Charlotte Airport, Birmingham, Atlanta. Yeah, but LA is sort of a different animal, isn't it. It's it's a different level of big game. If you're hunting for celebrities at LAX, then in Norman, Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like would TMZ if they were not tipped off to his flight landing at LAX, would one of their like photographers or producers instantly.
Speaker 2: Be like, oh, that's the USC coach. Like, is Lincoln Riley one of the five hundred most famous people in LA? Is he one of the most two hundred three?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is he the four hundred and forty seventh most famous person in his college town? See, you're the West Coast guy.
Speaker 1: I have no context for LA. I don't think he is interesting. He's getting paid handsomely, he is. But the Hudson News test, So here's the Hudson News test for people wondering. Yeah, the Hudson News test is, and we said this all the time about Clay Hilton. Yeah, the Hudson News test is, if your college football coach is out and about and you saw him at a Hudson News in an airport or a train station or anywhere around the world where there are Hudson newses, would you recognize him or would he be recognized by a random passer by at that Hudson News Clay Hilton almost certainly would not be.
Speaker 2: No, and we cover the sport, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure we would recognize him. Lincoln Riley, I think we would, But would the average passer by the average person.
Speaker 2: Here's here's oh man, we're gonna pile on Clay Heelton. There's no reason too. Everybody seems to like him personally. If we were at a Mexican restaurant in Saint Louis, Okay, and Clay Hilton came over to our table and said, is everything okay? And he was dressed like a manager. You guys having a good time those Enchalada's hitting. I think I might just say, yeah, it's great, thanks. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think we would know that it's him.
Speaker 2: Like if you went to go buy a new Mazda and Clay Hilton were on the showroom floor and he said you interested in gas? Are you interested in hybrid? Would you look at him and be like, I'm sorry, is that former USC head coach Clay Helton? Or would you say, oh, we're looking I add a third row, got a big dog, And.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Just asking questions, TI, I'm just asking questions.
Speaker 2: The marketplace of ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got so many.
Speaker 2: I don't know how long I bought this show to be This could be our best or worst show ever.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We've got a Clemson post about it is not even the least bit suspicious that our problems on offense started just after the herb Street Twins walked into the walked onto the football team. I feel like we are executing brilliantly on offense, but the other team simply has the plays snuffed out before they begin. So this gentleman or lady tiger Baum one is suggesting, right, there's a mole that one of the herb Street twins is leaking the offensive game planer. Both are in conjunction with one another. And then he goes on to say, I know that I have mocked some of you in the past with this ESPN paranoia crap, but this thing is starting to take legs. It would not surprise me one bit that e SCPN would stoop this low to damage our program.
Speaker 1: Laugh all you like, wow, So we're talking full on Herbie leaks. Here is what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: We're talking Herbie leaks. We're saying that ESPN has such a pronounced vendetta against Clemson naturally because they are not in the sec that Kirk herb Street, analysts of the bugest analyst in the sport, has employed his two sons to get him the game plan in writing. I guess or just here's how did they.
Speaker 1: Do how did they do it at Louisville. Louisville with what the whole waki.
Speaker 2: Links thing, right, Well, that was the announcer, right, Okay, that was an announcer that had access to some sort of game plans tipping off calls or signals or something like that. So the herb Street Twins, I guess would know the signals and would know the calls and the adjustments and the opening script or something like that. But man, I for one, am fully on board. I am fully on board with this being a worthwhile conspiracy to pull on the string to see where it leads.
Speaker 1: Is this? I mean they got to be using signal or some sort of encrypted app. I would assume you would think. So these are gens the kids at this point, m they know how to get around the system. I love the energy with which this was posted. Oh my god, it's great. This post is long enough that it was not written tongue in cheek. Oh yeah, this is somebody.
Speaker 2: Who honest, he went on to say, like laugh all you like, but connect the dots people. This is somebody who's into it. I love this.
Speaker 1: I am not on board with this is a real thing, but on board with this energy. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love the full denial of any sort of accountability that the offensive line has struggled and a young quarterback has struggled, and the play calling has been pretty woeful, and the assistant hiring has been probably loyal to a fault. Like there is a there is a full dedication and buy into Clemson football that it must be the outsiders, right, it must be this, this chemical element added to the otherwise pure elixir that has changed the foundation and success.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love that sort of blind dedication, and so I'm okay with it, all right. So we're running short on time. Is a long show.
Speaker 1: I've got one, maybe two more that I can do here.
Speaker 2: You want me to do best of my remainings?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you want me to do Kansas joining the SEC? Do you want me to do Clemson doing it the right way? The Raiders not interested in Jim Harbaugh. Billy Napier nixing a lazy river.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 1: That's recent. Yeah, so, Billy Napier. There were apparently plans as part of Florida's renovation effort to build a lazy river in the football facility and This gentleman says that getting rid of the Lazy River in the new facilities to strike one, it was a real selling point.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Now, I did see there was some fallout to this posting by the boor geniuses, i e. Folks within the Florida community who don't like the poster and don't want anything to do with the poster. They're disassociating and the message board geniuses account and people are a person who runs it is very quick to say we understand that these are isolated thoughts, not the full reflection of an entire fan base, all right, And that's also a very important point here that we should man. Of course, these are by no means representative of entire fan bases. These are very much extreme examples. That's why this Twitter account.
Speaker 2: But it's representative of fringe college football fans. All of these are within the realm of fringe college football thinking, for sure, is a lazy river, is a ball pit is to Clemson?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: A LSU sleep pod, the dentist's office at Oregon, the barbershop?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Are any of these things such deal breakers that if you're a five star recruit, it is going to alter your decision making process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's it's a wow factor thing. It's not that you're selecting a school because of the slide or the putt putt course, or the barber shop or the lazy river. It's the wow factor of this place is luxury. This place is treating its players in a way that is not consistent with the lower level schools recruiting me. Lazy river is a wow factor item tie. I can't deny that. Like, I come across very few places that offer their own lazy rivers.
Speaker 1: I have googled how much it would cost to build my own lazy river. I have I told you this, of course, as we all have. I would love to have a lazy river. I think it's it's by far the most underrated of all water park attractions.
Speaker 2: So where how would you employ a lazy river on your property?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. There's no way I could. I just it would cost more than I'm worth for sure. So I get the allure of the laser river. I like the lore of the lazier river. I just don't think it's that big a deal. I just like, like, maybe buy some extra iPads or virtual reality goggles or something that's not as extreme as the lazy River. I just don't see that as a huge selling point.
Speaker 2: No again, though, it's wow factor. It's you've seen the rest, Now come play for the best and chill out in an inner tube around the facility during your free time. I'm okay with it. I'm okay with bemoaning the loss of a potential lazy river because it's it's a differentiating factor. I'm not on board with that.
Speaker 1: Right that we agree to disagree.
Speaker 2: All right, give me your final one. This is from a there's a Kansas state posting about eating too much potato salad causing diarrhea. I think that's sort of self evident, like monitor how much potato salad you eat because you never know what it's going to do to your system and how you'll respond to having too much potato salad. I've got a post about the Chicago mafia getting involved with Illinois beating Nebraska.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I've got an Auburn fan saying they should build a statue to Gus to honor Gus Malson. It's pretty good. I've got a post from a Clem Clemson in Texas. A and M do not get enough credit for having these magical homes on the internet, and I wish they would like create an annual game like ditch South Carolina, ditch the hopes of Texas A and M playing Texas and set up a Texas A and M Clemson rivalry we need for.
Speaker 1: We need the Clemson A and M metaverse is what we need.
Speaker 2: I've got Ohio State an Ohio State poster on Bucknuts, which appears to be the twenty four to seven site saying Tate Martel was the curse? Serious question? What if he was our next guy? This was posted. I don't have a date when this was posted. He can throw, he can run, he can maybe be what's needed to get our offense over the hill. C J. Stroud can't run, but he can throw. Our offense is based on the quarterbacks ability to do it all, and currently we have an elite passer but not a non existent runner. How well might a Martel? How well might Tate Martell have done in this offense with Day at his side? Tate Martell last scene playing consistently a receiver for Miami. I think as a backup at UNLV.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hard to see that being the answer my final full question from Brady. So it might be an actual person named Brady. Can a school buy a player from another school? It's the subject. It wouldn't be paying the player, but a school to school transaction. They can use the money to add on to stadiums or buy many players through raising tuition.
Speaker 1: This is full on transfer i e. English Premier League.
Speaker 2: It's borderline human trafficking, is I'm reading this. Instead of recruiting, we should just buy the best players already playing. So let's give it the way it deserves, which is obviously none. But so people are going to say, this is not a joke, this is not funny, this is nil. This is where we are heading right, This is this is the slippery slope that the solid verbal boulder is rolling down. So could Clemson arrange deals with other schools? So explain EPL Like the top clubs can go to other clubs or lower level clubs who are perhaps more cash strapped and money hungry, and say look, we're gonna we're gonna buy the rights to this player for a certain amount of time and then return that player after that time something. I mean, there's a whole host of different ways you could do it. You could buy a guy for a certain period of time. That's called a loan, right you can you can loan a guy out, yep. And you can also just straight up by a guy if you've got the money. If you've got a player, then you know it's not working out in one place, or maybe it'll work out better in yours. You can just go out and pay the transfer fee and then you own the rights to that player. And so it is very transactional. There are many clubs out there who have made small fortunes doing this by having a good scouting department, by bringing in top talent, by selling them for you know, a factor eight x ten x of what they initially paid, and then they use the money for something else, either players or facilities, or you know, any number of different things. So it's very much a soccer philosophy. So my question to you is, let's again, let's take this seriously. The obvious upgrade that Clemson could have used in purchasing another player again, couldn't have this player making the money on this transaction? The team, the program, the school. Can you said money right that they need the money to improve their stadium or you know, hit their recruiting budget or their travel budget, whatever uniform budget. If Clemson were to pay Western Kentucky for Bailey's Appy, of course Bailey's Appy, why would he get any of that money?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: If Bailey's Appy were to go to Clemson based on this kind of loan after four or five games where Bailey's Appy's like, oh man, this kid at Western Kentucky, not geographically too far away, is lighting it up right, had a good game against Michigan State, and Western Kentucky's not making Power five TV cash. So let's say Clemson, who is making that big cash offered you know, a million bucks or something like that, a non insignificant amount of money that Western Kentucky could put towards a sports, a different sport whatever. They're like, okay, fine, we like our backup, We'll go with it. Does Bailey's Appy make an appreciable difference in the Clemson twenty twenty one season if they could buy the best available or Grayson McCall, whoever it is, that the best available? But I feel like Coastal care Lina was winning more games, so they would be a little more hesitant though it's in the geographic footprint even more is there a world in which the best G five quarterback, especially local to the South Southeast, is making a difference in Clemson season? Should this be an allowable transaction? I think so?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, so Clemson lose.
Speaker 2: I don't think Bailey's appy beats Georgia, and we wouldn't know because Bailey's Appy wouldn't be available and he wouldn't be a known commodity to open the season.
Speaker 1: Right right, I mean, there are always no shortage of really good group of five quarterbacks. And Dju was bad early on. He got better, he got better, right, he got better, but he was very bad early on. So could you bring in somebody? Could you bring in a grays and McCall. I get that Coastal might be adverse to that move. Yeah, but everybody's got a price. Everybody's got a price. If your coastal, if you can make bank to get Grayson McCall pro prospect to get him over to Clemson, yeah, of course. So I think it's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: There are some.
Speaker 1: Around college football, by the way, yeah, who think it's headed in this direction because of nil. You know, program can't straight up by a guy, A program can't straight up pay a guy, but Boosters have businesses and invest in a fund of some kind. Yeah, there are some folks who think that we're headed in this direction, that it could potentially derail college football. As we know a Kirby Spartanik Saban.
Speaker 2: Might be two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's interesting to me. It's interesting to me. I'm not totally against the spirit behind this post, and of course is outlandish, but that being said, I understand where it's coming from. And I don't know, maybe a year or two more into Nil will be singing a similar tune like we got to get Boosters aligned here, we got to go out and we got to buy a quarterback that can come and help this thing.
Speaker 2: I love this because it takes the autonomy fully away from Bailey's Appy. In this, I was like, hey, college football, it's you go to college and you're happen to be good at football, and we're gonna give you a bunch of money to attend school and any other expenses, and in return, you're gonna play college football for us. Also, if another school thinks they could use you more, we'll sell you. That energy is kind of misplaced, but yeah, Bailey's Appy with now Clemson's receivers were disappointed. The offensive line was disappointing. I don't think Clemson fans were huge fans of Tony Elliott's job this past year or two. But is Bailey's appy connecting on more passes downfield? They lose to what NC State and doublet and Pitt by eight or ten points or something like that. They're losing to Georgia either way, that gets them in the playoff. If Bailey's Appy is the difference against Pitt and NC State. Now, I don't know. Clemson wasn't able really to stop in overtime like that was a defensive thing. It was Devin Leary connecting on some crazy passes. But I think I think Zappi in this alternate universe, with time to learn the system and get in a rhythm and whatever, blah blah blah, I think he's better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are going to need to come back to this prebist. You know how Conan used to have the Walker Texas Ranger lever, of course.
Speaker 2: Until he realized that he didn't want to pay residuals to the actors and the clips he was showing on his show. That's the reason they stopped because they're like, I think the people at the studio that produced Walker Texas Ranger are going to start charging you for this. Yeah, what we.
Speaker 1: Need to do is we need to have a message board lever. Of course, you need to make a sound.
Speaker 2: I'm giving you the.
Speaker 1: Acount of that, and every sound take a dip in. I don't know, every week, every other week, every month, yeah, every so often, mix it up, but it would be helpful to have a message board lever. Yeah, saliverbo atmail dot com is the email address right in. Let us know if there are any that we missed.
Speaker 2: Or just your favorite.
Speaker 1: Please do continue to monitor the artists over at boor geniuses on Twitter. We appreciate their fine work. We appreciate the fine work of the college football community in putting these thoughts, these ideas, some of this drivel into the universe.
Speaker 2: We love the energy the all time message board post. I'm gonna get this wrong, but this is the all. This is the sketch of it. John Boyce, who have known forever, good friend of mine, decent friend of mine. I haven't seen him in a long time. He did a whole video about on bodybuilding dot com. An argument erupted about how many days there were in a week, and somebody insisted that it was not seven. There was an ongoing I want to say, like very long days, weeks, months, years, debate. Look it up about how many days there actually were in a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. You should look up the John Boys video. John's the best. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's all I have. That treasure message boards geniuses. They're one of the very few bright spots in social media nowadays, which is can be a very toxic environment unless you follow the solid verbal.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to going out to verballers dot com. Check out what we're doing on Patreon, don't forget to subscribe to the podcast.
Speaker 2: If you like what we.
Speaker 1: Do, follow us on social media, YouTube, all the usual hotspots. One more time, Solid Giveaway dot com. You have about a month to get your name in the hat to win that Reggie Bush signed Mini Help. Yes, fun show. Dan always good to chat.
Speaker 2: We will be.
Speaker 1: Back on Thursday for the masses. For that guy over there, my good friend Dan, for myself tie over here in snowy and cold, slushy eastern Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Talk to you all soon. In the meantime, stay solid, peace,