Speaker 1: Sucks on thirty fifth is next doors open on the left.
Speaker 2: How's it going, everybody? This is a wonderful evening production of the Socks on thirdyfif podcast, a live reaction podcast to the latest trade of Luis Castia to the White Sox. I'm joined by Nick Awen Brett Haffner. Gentlemen, I will let you to talk. Well, I figure out what's going on with this livestream right now. Gentlemen, how are we?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Doing good? I appreciate you taking care of that day.
Speaker 3: We're good.
Speaker 1: Nice, that was easy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, obviously we're excited to discuss the trade. Lots of I've been reading a lot of opinions about it in the left half hour, however long it's been since it came out, lots of really polarizing viewpoints on it. So I'm excited to hear what you guys think.
Speaker 2: I've been at a family party for the majority of this, and I will just start by saying, I am surprised. I want to give I know it's a live, instant reaction show, but you want to give it some time to marinate. And I always appreciate Nick your thoughts. You're usually a lot more levelheaded than either Douk or Eye usually on the show. But I think exciting is a good word to start for how I'm feeling. But from there I think there are other things to consider and talk about. But before we get too far into this, I do got to do the usual promotion of be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, especially wherever else you get your podcasts. Be sure to follow us on social media at sex on thirty fifth, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, you know where to find us, and sax on thirty fifth dot com as the website with more details on this trade and many other things.
Speaker 4: So I will start with this.
Speaker 2: The full trade is Luis Castillo for Sir Anthony Dominguez, Nolan Jones and Boston Smith, and the White Sex will be taking on the full salary for both twenty twenty six remaining for Castille as well as twenty twenty seven. He's owed twenty two point seven five million dollars. Next year, Sir Anthony Dimingez his entire salary of ten million dollars goes to Seattle, and that leaves Nolan Jones and Boston Smith as.
Speaker 4: The other two pieces. That's the that's the trade.
Speaker 1: Deal.
Speaker 2: I guess Nick, you were the Boston Smith guy. I don't know how much we talked about it on the show, but there was a lot of back and forth about, you know, whether or not you'd actually like to trade on I on, we had Michael Swerro on here a little bit while or not, what about a week ago to kind of talk about some of the trade pieces, and his name came up.
Speaker 4: We'll start with your reactions and go from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my take on Boston Smith was I did not want the White Sauce to trade him if it was for a rental. I mean, anyone I would prefer that didn't trade in period, but especially if it was for Freddy Peralta or somebody like that who's not on the team past this season. So at least with Castillo, they're getting someone who's still under team control for twenty twenty seven and also a vesting option for twenty twenty eight if he throws one hundred and eighty or more innings in twenty twenty seven. That being said, it's not as big of a positive as I'm making it out to be because obviously Castillo's having a down year. I mean, that's the elephant in the room, I suppose, So there is a world where him having that extra team control, even though it's it's nice to have those years, but it's like twenty two million, for example, for his salary, So he's not a cheap player. So if he remains the player he is right now, it's not going to be great. So the calculated risk that gets in the White start taking is that they can unlock something in him that makes in the picture he was from twenty seventeen to twenty twenty five rather than the twenty twenty six version. And that's where we kind of just have to wait and see. I mean, I look through all of his metrics, as I know Brett was as well. We were talking about that before he went on and kind of looking for things like what could what could you do differently, what's changed between this year and last and all that. Brett start off with that talk because he had more thoughts than me. But overall it's one of those trades where I'm mostly okay with it because the prospect package we gave up wasn't that much, even though I was a huge Boston Smith fan. But at the same time, that's what smart organizations do. They get guys like Boston Smith and they quickly flip them for better assets, like they're doing right here. So even though it's a little bittersweek, given how productive he has been, I at least understand the vision.
Speaker 2: I will say this about the trade in general, like in a vacuum, It's fine, right like that that was my initial thought. I was excited by it. Obviously, It's nice to be in a world where the White Sox are buyers, and I think that's one thing that primarily I want to keep in mind, Like, at the end of the day, it's cool that they are buyers. I look at it from two avenues. Number one is you're taking a guy who was making twenty two million technically is only going to make twelve. It's only twelve million additional your taste, so you're kind of getting to steal for twelve million next season. That's fine given his pedigree, in which you would probably have to pay for some one of his caliber. So, like, the money thing isn't a concern to me. What does become a concern to me is if this is the only thing the White Sox du like. That's where I say, like in a vacuum, It's a good move, right, But if this is the only thing they do, I'm not personally sure how I feel about taking on the twelve million and getting a guy who's had mixed results to say the least this season.
Speaker 3: So after looking into a couple things, I mean, I honestly hadn't been paying much attention to how he was doing this year. One thing I noticed was I kind of went and looked at all, right, is there some like are we seeing a decrease in vlo? And actually his fastball is like half a tick up, so there's no concern about you know, oh, there's a big drop off in Filo. The one thing that I am a low concerned with though, is that he is putting away hitters a lot less this year than in previous years, so the strikeout percentage is a bit down from the past couple of years. The one thing that I do like coming into this organization though, at that even with a down year, he's still not walking the world, because I know that we do have some pitchers who really struggle with that in this org So I'm glad that there's that kind of like you know, I know, Nick, you're a big Boston Smith guy. But we got to remember we got Boston Smith only earlier this year for Curtis Meade, and that's one of those things that sure we were able to unlock some things that potentially do that, but at the end of the day, we didn't have to give up multiple prospects. I've seen some people incorrectly called Nolan Jones still a prospect, but that man has been shipped between multiple MLB franchises at this point, between uh Colorado and Cleveland. So at the end of the day, only giving up one prospect for a non rental starter who has major durability. If you look at his Baseball Reference He's pitched thirty plus starts a lot of his career, and at the end of the day, we need someone with playoff experience. He's got a two two five ERA in the playoffs and having that experience in kind of another veteran presence in that rotation from successful franchises.
Speaker 1: I'm actually really I really like this trade so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the real quick before you go, Nick, I will say there are a couple for folks who are listening ione want to drop your thoughts in the chat. We will read those out and kind of answer questions from there. I will just say that for anyone listening to drop him in there and we can get to him. But Nick ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: No, it's okay.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say that before we get too deep on the Castillo question, like what's he doing row?
Speaker 1: What can be fixed?
Speaker 3: I do also just want to mention that, I mean, maybe this whole age poorly, but I was saying to somebody today when washing the game, I kind of feel like, Sir Anthony Dominga's head has fixed, well whatever his issue was, Like he's had like three or four outings in a row now where I actually though he looked pretty good today. I was it was like he only threw a couple of balls. I think it was pretty much all on the zone. And I'm not saying this means he was going to be perfect the rest of the season, but I was like, Okay, this is nice because now you have Taylor and Hicks as your really dependable right handed high leverage you guys, but ingas as well. It can be like sixth seventh inning and someone you can trust. This is gonna be really nice for the playoffs. And then we trade him later that day, so I'm not saying that it would have continued. I know he's been very inconsistent, but just want to put that out there. I'm not convinced that he's as bad as he was in the last you know, one or two months. So that's that's one thought I had when I saw his name as part of the trade. I was like, oh, I actually kind of liked him now, but whatever, it's too little, too late.
Speaker 2: It's inconsistent results, right Like it's again, if you look just purely strike our rate, walk rate, home run number, of thinks like this is that that is who Diminas is and that's going to lead to some really nice outings, and that's going to lead to some really terrible addings. And I think that's what the White Sox ultimately kind of had to fight against. My other point, as you brought it up, is the lack of a reliever in the bullpen and baseball tossed in the chat was kind of mentioning exactly that, And it's wonder if McDougal comes up for the Boston I it almost seems to me that the White Socks are put wishing it in their chips on McDougall and Smith Hagen Smith and possibly even Shane Smith why know is still starting, but at least those two we're going to make them relievers for this team, and that's how we're planning to address the bullpen. And if we have to trade a piece cool we needed deming As more, I guess instead of talking like the White Sex, the White Sex feel like they needed deming As more when they originally signed him versus now because you had Taylor step up and Brian Hudson step up, and now you have the flexibility to add McDougall and Smith. And does it make sense long term? Probably because you don't really need a relieve her more than you need a starting pitcher, right.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Nicholas Baker in the chat also mentioned because he has a great teammate and great dude, and that's certainly been the based on his profile ood he looks like a Mariners fan, so I think he's speaking from experience there, but also is what I've heard from around just reading from fans, like he's a well liked baseball player with Brett to your point, a lot of playoff experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got one one other thing that Carter Lawler kind of hints that a little bit. One thing the Mariners had going on a little bit that they had to kind of get creative with was they have I believe they had six starters up in the rotation. And Castillo actually expressed a little bit of frustration earlier in the season with the idea of the piggybacking that was happening before the all start break. And obviously we just you know, mentioned that, you know, Castillo has been a well liked, you know, Mariner for quite a long time now the time he's done with the ORG.
Speaker 1: And I will say though that, you know, Carter Lawler make a great point in the.
Speaker 3: Chat like this could be a great change of scenery too, because we are in a situation where hey, Luis, we're giving you the ball every fifth day.
Speaker 1: You are going to get there, You're going to get your innings. You're going to be a.
Speaker 3: Guy who we probably consider our sp three right now, Like there is going to be a level importance that we are placing on him where perhaps in the Mariners org, you know, maybe you know, because they have a really talented group of Brian wu George Kirby, Emerson, Hancock, you can name them all. He was probably at the bottom of that rotation right now, where he is going to get promptly placed based on his caliber and based on his check record, kind of right in the middle right now. So I think that potential change of scenery, and I'm very curious to see what Bob and Banister. I'm curious to see what they decide and what they want to tinker and experiment with him. Just maybe they try something with his pitch mix a little bit, or just to sequencing. I'm very curious here.
Speaker 2: So this is the first time in his career where he's thrown again. I'm slowly getting my information together. He tends to throw when you talk about things like pitchmicks, he tends to throw the syncer more than the slider. There were a couple of years in there where he threw the slider more than the sinker, including this one. But it's the greatest discrepancy between those two pitches of about ten percentage points in difference in terms of how frequently he throws them. Obviously pretty known as a not sidewinder, but a low three quarter slot where the sinker change up combination has long been effective for him. So I wonder if they try and get back to some of that. I hesitate to say they need to make too many changes because it wasn't that long ago as in last season to where he was truly very effective. But again it comes down to for me personally, it's like I get being willing to take this risk. I'm surprised they were, to be honest with you, but I get it. Like when you look at some of the other rentals, it's not like they were without warts. Like Kevin Gosman was a common name. I mean, if you want to talk to the controllable guys, read Debt Meers. I think people fell in love with for reasons. I'm still trying to figure out. I know he's good, but the level of prospect good that they might have needed to give up. And you can just go down the list Stephen, Robbie Ray, some of us splits away from home, and I don't know you can find warts with any guy at this deadline.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the point. You don't get.
Speaker 2: The best of the best at the deadline. But to get a guy like Castillo who has ace like potential in him and has shown it. Yes, he's thirty three, thirty four years old, but let's see if they can capture it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a couple of things.
Speaker 3: No, there's a couple of things you guys brought up that I wanted to just quickly touch on one of them. There was a game forre Brett was saying about how they had too many pitchers in the rotation. There was a game against the White Sox in May. I very vividly remember watching those game. It was a huge win for the White Sox. They brought Castillo on to get like a three or four inning save. In the ninth inning, he walked Murakami. I want to say, maybe walk somebody else. Then they brought in Munyo, was their actual closer, and then somebody was like Ben and Tendy and mydraws way back to back, like kind of cheap RBI singles. They won the game two to one. Taylor got the save in the bottom. It was a great game, and Mariners fans after the game were just enraged by the fact that Castillo was being used as a long reliever essentially and a closer, and they were saying, this is not his role, Why is he doing this. He complained about it too, like Brett said, so maybe there is something to the fact that we can't find that much in this data that this much has changed about him as a pitcher. So maybe it's true that just the change of scene we're getting him in a new rotation, like Carter was saying, might actually have a big impact. And then to what Jordan was saying, Jordan's correct that he's using his slider more than his sinker this season, pretty drastically compared to how it was last year when I was a reverse And the reason I bringing that up is because Castillo has a career low ground ball rate, meaning he's allowing fewer ground balls than ever and more flyballs than ever. The inverse would be true there. So maybe it's as simple as, hey, you're using your sinker sixteen percent of the time I staid of twenty eight percent. So yeah, of course you're allowing all these flyballs and not getting as many grounders. I mean, I'm probably oversimplifying it. There's I'm sure there's a reason, but that's my main thought is when you talk about pitch mix, maybe it is just bringing the sinker back a little bit more. Yeah, and I guess, hey, outside of you know what we've seen in that, maybe he could do what he did against the White Sox in twenty twenty three, he could throw forty seven straight fastballs and maybe get something to work. Remember that game Jordan twenty twenty three. He threw forty seven consecutive fastballs against that team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the twenty three White Sox. I probably could have thrown a few in there and we would have been fine. Now, I think for me it's I do want to talk about a little bit where we go from here, But I do think it's a calculated risk to take. Right Like, I get why they wanted to have a controllable player, right like I get I get now wanting to move rentals for this group. Just yet, I, as much as it feels weird, I do think it's the correct. That being said, you better be sure that you're gonna you're gonna fix this, otherwise this isn't This is an expensive twelve million. Now, this is an expensive but it's expensive in the sense that this is the guy you're hoping is your game three starter. Right now, you have Sean Burke, Davis, Martin, Luis Castile in some order your third starter, I guess is kind of what I mean to say.
Speaker 4: You can put them in whatever order.
Speaker 2: You better hope you're right and that there's something that's fixable. That that's on Banister, that's on Bow, that's on everyone else in the organization who made that call. I don't hate it in a vacuum, but and this is where I kind of want to talk about what's next. You have to do something else, So this is the only thing they end up doing. Now we really got to consider, all right, what was the point of that and why couldn't anything else come together? But quite a few people have asked this in the chat, where do you go from here?
Speaker 4: Like, what do you target next?
Speaker 2: Based on the quality And there haven't been that many trades, so I don't want to set you guys up for failure with this question. But based on the quality of players going back and forth and trade so far, who are guys you might see that White Sox move next to accomplish other needs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean one that comes to mind, and the welding back up. Actually, yesterday that rumor came out that the White Sox had discussed Freddy Peralta with the Mets and the package would have been Boston Smith and George wolcal So. The fact that Boston. Mitch just got traded, might mean that George Bocal is someone who would also potentially get traded, and he doesn't have as much trade value. I don't think as Smith. Just given Smith as more advanced as a hitter, or he's in double A, not high A, et cetera, but he could still probably get you a rental or headline of package to say for a rental, not somebody with control and not somebody would have massive impacts. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him go. But in terms of what I'm looking for, I mean, it's also part of the reason that I haven't really given a strong opinion in terms of I like, you know, love hate this move or whatever, in part because it just happened that I'm still processing, but also because I expect Gets to do a lot more, to be honest, and I've seen a lot of comments from people the last couple of days saying they have a bad feeling it's going to be like a pretty quiet deadline for the White Sox. I've had the opposite feeling. I thought they might be doing like a little bit too much, just because Gets, as a former player, knows what it's like to be fighting at the deadline and being a good team that just needs a little bit more to maybe get over the hump. And he just said he's on record as saying he owes it to this clubhouse to get them reinforcements. So I expect to catcher, whether it's Tyler Stevenson or Lurie Torrens from the Mets or probably not like a Hunter good min Natalie Ruchmand, probably you know, lower tier than that. I expect to catcher for sure, And to be honest, I also I know Jordan listened off like Debt Mers and some guys I kind of still wouldn't be surprised if they got another starting pitcher, maybe not a Redebt version, maybe not that high caliber, but somebody like in between Castillo and like a Kevin Gosman, like somebody that you can say might be an upgrade over in Eric Fetti, but is not somebody who's gonna or a playoff get necessarily just to help you get to that endpoint of the season with having guys like Burke and Martin still being fresh where they're not throwing too many innings in their last start to September. So I wouldn't be surprised to see that. But overall, Catcher one hundred percent expect and then another picture of some sort. I have a good feeling that we'll do something. I just don't know for sure if it'll be like a starter or reliever or whatever it might be. Yeah, And to kind of piggyback off debt Meer's Nick, the one thing that I've been seeing a lot about him is that apparently the asking price is astronomical for net Meers. So, honestly, Nick, when you say that you're looking for an in between between read det Meers and Castillo, you know the name it comes to mind, Joise Sorriano, because it's been reported that they're asking, they're not the det Mever's price is way up there, Sriana a little less. I don't know how i'd feel about that. I'm another curious one, but I still like the idea of trying to go after like a Clay Holmes type or even Kevin Gosman. Kevin Gosmin did start today. I know that there was the potential for him to get scratched. I know for Pearls to got scratched yesterday. So I was thinking that but honestly, I think I'd rather prioritize the catcher first, even though I will say kudos to Edward Carroll. He did have a really nice game today, a couple good ads challenges, a couple hits, But.
Speaker 4: The bar's low Jenner's name.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: The bar is kind of in hell right now, so there's not a whole lot. There's not a whole lot to work with, and I think that for the In the case of Stevenson, he actually has a great track record with Castile when they were back on the Reds, I.
Speaker 4: Have been a huge Stevenson.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised I kind of threw it out there once steal got hurt and I'm like, oh, I actually like this way more than when I was just randomly tweeting about it too. I think he does things well with the White Sox lag. He's a right handed bat, he has some pop behind it. Again, he's not great defensively, but we're given Caro credit for a couple of decent abs challenges, and I I'm on record saying I'd rather have Romo than Carroll because I don't think he's not bad like the bar's low, and I think we have to acknowledge that at a certain point, if the Socks are going to get another start, I would like to be a guy who is more of a true dominant strikeout starter. What I mean by that is a Sean Burke North South type pitcher. It's got a lot of pitch to contact guys. They got a lot of groundball guys. Davis Martin is not your typical strikeout guy. Anthony k isn't, Eric Fetti fe sticks around, isn't. Noah Schultz isn't there yet, and Luis Castillo, even when he's at his best, is not.
Speaker 4: Your prototypical strikeout guy.
Speaker 2: I would have thrown personally, like, I don't think they're gonna get another controllable one. I think I know, I say all those things about wanting a North South starter, and I'm gonna throwt an East West name in Dustin May. I think that just gives you a little bit more insurance, because I don't think they're gonna pay the Clay Holmes price or the Robbie Ray price. I just I would need a It would just need to be a lower price at this point in my opinion, just because I don't know what they're gonna do with the innings.
Speaker 4: To be honest with you, the cutcher has to be the priority.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: I think the one thing that I mentioned, I know I've mentioned like three times, so I'm gonna plug my own do some self promo here. I put on like a mock trade deadline article. I did say I didn't think they trade for Luis Castillo, so I take my words with a grain of salt. But at the same time, I do think an outfield bat needs to be more of a priority than I think it's been talked about. You know, Tristan Peters, it's been about a sixty at bat slump now and at a certain point he can't be this bad forever. But any advanced metric told you that he wasn't going to be as good as the start to his season either. I don't know if I would be willing to wait around for ever Sin Praira to figure it out. And I think Randall Gritchick and Austin Hayes, whichever one they decide to choose, essentially do the same thing. But you need a late pinch hit at bat and you're running Edgar Carrow out there, or like today, you're running Randall Gritchick out there. I just you're showing up and you're not You're not fighting your best fight by doing it that way.
Speaker 4: So I do think.
Speaker 2: I'd like to add more some sort of impact back, like a Joe Adell type. Like I'm not talking like a super controllable quality bad it's just someone who's going to go out there and swing for the fences and doesn't really do anything else.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 2: You can deal with that, even if it's that, even if that's limited in value, but still as a step up from the grit Chicks and the Hazes and things like that. So I don't know, but to saw center field though, would be a little bit more difficult. It's why I'm hoping Peters figures it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he had some I think two today and one yesterday. He had a couple at bats where he either got a barrel on the ball or still had like, you know, one hundred plus mile an hour line drive.
Speaker 1: They all happened to.
Speaker 3: Go right to outfield or so that Peter's maybe is on the verge of breaking back out a little bit. But I do agree that Pereira has been disappointing since returning from injury. And you know, maybe what they end up doing is if Peter's really a slumping that bad. I mean, Bradon Montgomery can handle centerfield, at least I think he can. You can always move him there and bring up Austin Hayes to play right. And I understand he's kind of redundant Luke Ritchard, but maybe that's what we have to do. But given what they just did, given that they traded Sir Anthony Domingez, which I don't think anyone really expected to happen, I would not be surprised to your point, Jordan, if there is some sort of out of left field kind of move right that we don't really see coming, whether it's trading somebody currently on the major league roster that not like you know, not like an Antonouge in my draft. I'm talking more like a reliever or something like that, or like a fatty or k something that we just like are not expecting at all, or like you said, Jordan's something that just addresses a whole that is not fully there yet. Like I wouldn't call centerfield a hole. It's just that he's slumping, and it's a little scary because metrics whenever that great to begin with, even when.
Speaker 1: He was paying well for Peters.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think that's why, again, why I'm reluctant to say, like I give this trade like a C plus or anything like that. That's not what I would give it, by the way, just because I don't know what's going to happen next. I want to judge the whole deadline after it happens and see what they've done. But really, just thinking about this trade, I mean, yeah, it's not giving up a ton. I suppose the biggest issue with it, other than my being a Boston Smith fan, is just that you're paying the full salary for Castillo next year. I mean, I know, you're getting rid of Domingos, so it's like a net gain of twelve million, but it's still, you know, twelve million is nothing to scoff at, especially for the White Sox historically. So it's a good sign that they're comfortable taking on that money and that they didn't, you know, make Seattle eat half of it and then give up even more prospects. That would have been very annoying. But it also leads me to believe that maybe they do have more flexibility to make a surprise move or something that we're not expecting going forward. Can I just add one thing about the Castillo contract that has a unique kind of quirk to it. There is a twenty twenty eight vesting option. If he hits one hundred and eighty innings next year.
Speaker 4: Well, he's not hitting that. They're not gonna let him hit that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if.
Speaker 3: There's even be enough baseball played to have a picture hit one hundred and eighty innings.
Speaker 1: So but that's a topic.
Speaker 3: But you know, if if he misses time due to a UCL injury one hundred and thirty days, twenty twenty eight becomes a five million dollar team option. So there are some avenues written in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's a risk, right. I think there are two camps that people kind of fall into with this. The first camp is it's awesome, gamer has been there before. I love it and I get that. The second camp is, you know, guys running a five v R this year and he's thirty three, you know, did you actually get any better? You didn't have to give up a lot, but did you get any better? And you know, I've talked at nauseum this year about you know, some of my frustrations with pitching development things like that, mostly at the minor league level, right Like, to be fair, this is going to be a quick turnaround for Zach Bob and the major league development staff to figure out what this is for KSTO, because if they can't get this ship right in, how much better is he than Eric Fetti? Right Like, at a certain point they're doing the same things, and Fetti happens to be doing it a little bit better this year. So it's that is a concern for me. Again, I'm not going to grade it till I see the totality of the trade deadline. If this is the only pitcher they pick up, I think when we're talking about grading it, the grade will be lower than it is right now if they add another piece and kind of reshuffle the chair the deck a little bit from a bullpen perspective.
Speaker 1: Five.
Speaker 2: But I don't know it. I have to balance that. But part of it for me, like, hey, a true gamer who is a great teammate, great clubhouse guy, will probably appreciate being able to come here and fight for a playoff spot more than he probably was doing in Seattle and will probably be a lot more appreciated than he probably felt like he was in Seattle when he was they were doing that piggybacking thing, like you got to have a special crew to do that correct. So we'll see, I don't know, just taking a look at a couple before we head out here rather soon. A couple folks from the chat and a very similar opinion. Jamie Lewis don't love it or hate it. He can eat inning has a track record. We'll kind of see where it goes. Thatcher kind of said the same thing. He's kind of all right with it. But the peripheral standout. I think everybody's kind of in a very similar place as of right now. But gentlemen, I will give you kind of your final thoughts.
Speaker 3: I'm just curious. This can be a real quick answer from you guys. But and heck, even Andoah Schultz to start like today could potentially slay your opinion. But with the rotation we have right now, removes in the future are going to make this different for sure.
Speaker 1: What do you do with the rotation right now? With this group?
Speaker 2: Nick, you can start on that one, because I want I want to see if my initial thoughts are an overreaction.
Speaker 4: I do have thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, so the issue I have with Schultz is he actually was you know, he looked pretty good today, but his name's the limit. I don't know what his limit is, but he's basically at his career high ending. He's already he probably doesn't have that much left in the tank to start every star the rest of the year, so he might have been like a bullpen kind of guy anyway for the second half of the year, or I guess the last two months of the year. So the way I would do it, it would be obviously you would keep Burke and Martin and Castillo as like those like your three guys are in cement, Anthony kay, I don't think it's not anything to deserve to deserve not being a starter to this point, so I'd keep him as my four. Then the five spot, I mean Fetti is he was impressive against Tampa last night, but his peripherals are bad, Like he is really outperforming a lot of his peripherals and metrics, kind of like the pitching version of Christin Peters, and I wouldn't be surprised if that caught up to him at some points. I wouldn't mind using Fetti and like the Tyler Schweitzer role, kind of like long relief guy. But then for a fifth starter, I mean, you would keep rolling with Sheltz until you can't anymore from an Ink standpoint, and maybe at that point that's when you use somebody like Maceon Adams or David Sandlin somebody else. But that's kind of my issue to with your question, Brett, Like, no problem with you're asking it, but I wish we had another picture starting Pitcher coming in to avoid having to rely on somebody like Adams or Sandler.
Speaker 2: Having to do that sort of the way that you have to do it right there, I feel like the door is very much open for them to still add a more reliable arm if not. My personal opinion is you decide what your limit is for Schultz this season and kind of back your way into it. I am blown away that it took them this long to be like, hey, maybe an opener's a good idea for this kid. Like you made Burke do it, you made k do it, You've made Fetti do it all year, and you just let this kid come up here and run a six er for a couple of months and they're like you know, let's try this opener thing. I thought that was ridiculous, and I know I've said it on here before. So with that being said, if you want to try a piggyback thing with Fetti and Schultz, potentially maybe have an opener for both of them, or let Fetti start games and let one go one time through the order, the next go next time through the order, and then by that time, hopefully you're at through five innings by that or maybe even six if you're really lucky, or you're in the sixth inning by the time that happens, and kind of mix and match from there. I think that could be interesting, and it wouldn't force guys too far out of the situations they've been in so far, but it opens the door to really say, this team probably still needs one more arm.
Speaker 3: And I hope that in a day or two from now we are back on a podcast talking about how we need to reconstruct the rotation once again. I think that'd be a great problem to have. The only other addition that I would add is that Drew Thorpe's kind of an interesting case right now of building up innings and having some good results, but it is a very small sample, but I am very just intrigued to see what they decide to do with him, if they really feel like he is going to be a piece of the major league team in.
Speaker 1: Late August, early September. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Probably depends a lot on what happens before Monday at three pm. That and.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I've never been I know what.
Speaker 3: You're gonna say, I just pat still ninety one or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly it.
Speaker 4: Like, is this fastball still ninety one ninety two?
Speaker 1: If it is, we've already seen.
Speaker 2: This story, right, Like, I don't know, Like he can be effective maybe, but for how long how often?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'm going to remain skeptical just because I know it.
Speaker 2: I don't like to be like, oh, with fastball or nothing, because like that's not that's not the end all, be all, end all, but at times it is too right, So it has to be at least a consideration. Thorpe could be interesting. Mason Adams, you brought up that name too, rep It's kind of interesting to me just because they did use him out of a relief role. So I don't know if they're considering that or they're trying to showcase him to other teams and kind of sell them as that piece.
Speaker 4: I don't know it they have.
Speaker 2: The thing is, they have options, but you have to be And it's not that Venable wouldn't be good at this or they haven't been good at this, but you have to be so conscious of matchups and moves and things like that and sending eyes up, putting them down, things like that, that if you have too many options now, it's almost like I've got too much going on versus just having a fifth got to be like, let's go throw them out there, call it a day, and go from there. So options are good, and I don't think the Socks lack them, it's just more so the more options you have. It's kind of like it's not the same thing. But I think of like the old adage where if you have two quarterbacks, you don't have any, right like, if you have too many options, all of a sudden, you don't have a good one, right like. So baseball is different. Obviously it's not a perfect example, but I don't want it to be a situation where you have to overanalyze every situation to pick the matchups perfectly. As fun as that sounds for a nerd, like that's just not how baseball always works necessarily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, between the names we just talked about, like Thorpe, Sandlin Adams, Shane Smith, Jose Arcady, they just they Urchaitie. They just got him from whatever. The pirates like, they have a lot of guys who could just slot in as like a sixth starter, like a depth option if somebody gets hurt or you need a spot starter. But the problem is they don't have somebody who's head and shoulders above that. And the hope is Castillo can be that guy, of course, if he's better than what he's shown this year. But to me, just kind of my closing thought, I guess, or my own impression of this trade the more I think about it is it's not that crazy, I think to have a net gain of twelve million dollars to have Castillo on your roster for next year. Over to Manga's like, given that he's a starter and they as the track word that he does, I don't think that's super offensive or anything like some of the negative reaction of reading about the trade. It's just I'll have to get over to the Boston Smith then, Like I'm fine with taking on Castillo's money. I like that they're doing that to reduce prospect costs, but I'm surprised that the headline prospect was Boston smith I'm surprised it wasn't like, I don't know, like a Colby Shelton, like somebody is more like a twenty to thirty range prospect than a ten to twenty in the system. I'll get over it, and it's like it's kind of splitting hairs just because I like Boston Smiths so much. But that's my closing thought was like, if he's his contract is seen as net negative Castillo at this point, and you know, Mariners fans, from what I'm reading, seem pretty happy to have gotten rid of it. So I'm just kind of wishing that the prospect cost was a little bit less. But I really hope I look back at this in October or something, I think, wow, like I was I was picking like a Steele shoved in the playoffs or something like that.
Speaker 1: That's that's obviously everyone's hope, Brett.
Speaker 4: Any final parting thoughts.
Speaker 1: Chris gets You're on the clock for more, Let's see what happens.
Speaker 4: That is fair.
Speaker 2: I will say two things number one. Yeah, I I I don't know. The more I think about it, the more I read comments, and I appreciate people both on social media and in the check kind of giving their thoughts the peripheral's piece. And I think the common thing that a lot of people have said, if you have more negative feelings about this trade is you know, you're not certain the socks got better today, and that's that is absolutely fair. I am not sure the White Sox got better with this trade.
Speaker 4: In a vacuum.
Speaker 2: I like taking the chance on it, but again, if they don't do anything else, yeah, I just I don't know. I don't know. He would have to, he would have to be his oldest form. And I think that's my biggest thing.
Speaker 4: Boston Smith.
Speaker 2: I go back and forth on I like selling high on guys, and I think they were absolutely doing that for a guy who's had two hundred and fifty plate appearances in the minors and who came over and this is his first full professional season. Like, I like how how that ended up working for them, And I would be a critical to say that I don't like when the White Sacks do that because I wish they had done that more in the past. I think depends on who you ask. If the Sacks guy better today, I feel like the consensus for now, it seems like people do believe that, and it seems like you two were kind of on the fence with that, but probably air more that ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll have to wait and see and before we fully sign off, the chat has alerted us and my phone lighting up was alerting me to the fact that Schooble just got created the Dodgers, so that is interesting and might secure their threepeat.
Speaker 1: We might also secure lockout. Yeah it might.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that just of all the teams, just I didn't want that one.
Speaker 4: Here's my thought on that.
Speaker 2: I first of all, you gotta win it, right, I thought the last thing Major League Baseball wants right now is for this to happen and then have like a Brewer's White Sox World Series, Like, how are you gonna make a parody problem argument? When that happens, that's the funniest potential outcome.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I'm it just felt so.
Speaker 2: Obvious that that's what was going to happen that I just numbed to it. I like seeing the Tigers selling off, even if it's just a piece. I like that another team has kind of given up because I think the one thing we didn't really talk about that I like to maybe mention briefly, and I've said six times we're signing off, but maybe we talked for two seconds about this is the Twins have decided not to. Granted they haven't done the most impactful moves ever with Mentor and Cramer, but they're three games back too, and they decided that that was.
Speaker 4: Good enough for them.
Speaker 2: I don't know if either of you have initial thoughts on that or how much they bother you. Certainly things we can talk about more next time, but what would be curious as we're talking about some of the things already going down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the I've been I've said a few times that the Tigers scaring more than the Guardians. Obviously, now a scoopl gone, they're probably going to sell more, that's no longer true.
Speaker 1: But the Twins and.
Speaker 3: Guardians I kind of see in the same light, like, yeah, there's a world where they passed the Socks and win the division. But at the same time, I look at the at the Twins roster and maybe people feel this way about us, but I look at their roster, and I struggle to see how they win as many games as they do. Like, yeah, they have Buston and Joe Ryan and a good bullpenal that they have pieces, but they're not when the White Socks are playing them. I just feel this season, of course, I just feel that the White Sox are the more talented and more well rounded team. So I kind of like that they're buying because I don't see them as a huge threat, so I want them to get rid of their prospects and whatever. But at the same time, we have to take them seriously because they're tied with Cleveland now and that Cleveland's been pretty much the only team we've been talking about for the last couple of months. So it's a three seam race for sure. I would have said four if not for the Tigers selling. So a lot of games with the Twins coming up to I think we have at least six, if not nine, So there's going to be it's going to come down to the wire potentially. But I don't really fear them. I suppose it's the simple way to put it. I mean, I can just you know, with the Twins, like they're having a lot of like I don't want to say like double magic, but like kind of a little bit of that, just because the roster is not that, you know, like it's not that on paper is very great up and down. I mean, Buxton is now back on the aisle. Joe Ryan's actually had a couple stinkers in a row. Now they just happen to be in a really advantageous position for the talent on that roster. But the thing is is that, you know, I still think the stench of the Guardians, no matter who is on their roster, will always scare me more just because they are able to find a way year in and year out. In this current modern era, they just always find a way, and that stench just freaks me out.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 4: But if the Tigers also decide to go sell, I.
Speaker 3: Believe Casey Miyes, I think, yeah, if they decide to sell Miz as well, then they're going to be in a position where they really flip the script and are probably leaning towards one potential outcome. But their their batting lineup is still very talented. I mean Max Clark, as we were recording this podcast, hit his first career home run. So they are definitely finding ways with Dingler McGonagall Clark like that era of Tigers is going to be pretty pretty scary. And now you add on Depaula from the Dodgers. I hear Hope River Ryan, you know, those are the prospects that were sent over. So they're going to have a pretty good team coming forward. But maybe with twenty twenty six, perhaps we might not be thinking about them as much.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be a frustrating team to deal with. Still you gotta win games against them. I do like that, as I know there was a period there where I feel like the whole thing was about the Twins, where the team everybody hated the most. It's always been Cleveland for me, so I'm glad we're kind of riding that wave back to that because that's how it's always been for me With Cleveland. They always find a way. And Minnesota can hit. That's the big thing.
Speaker 4: They can hit.
Speaker 2: I don't know how, because I watched that Mariners Twins game less time I look at that line of I'm like, what is But also I'm sure a lot of people say that about a White Sox line up every now and again. So credit to the Twins for being able.
Speaker 4: To do that, but they don't scare me as much. I agree.
Speaker 2: I think it's the pitch from the pitching perspective that if the best they're going to do is Dean Kremmer, then we'll see. But we do have a couple of days still to go for the trade deadline, and like every college student ever, every baseball team is waiting till the last minute to get their assignment done before to do on August third. I certainly know nothing about that. I know so much about that. But anyway, we'll have obviously hopefully more to talk about for the White Sox for our next show. It'll be August third, on Monday, after the deadline, so I'll probably try and go live around six o'clock, So be on the lookout for that. Hopefully, I said, hopefully there's some white sex moves to talk about. If not, I'm sure there will be other moves around the league to discuss. So Brett Nick, thank you for joining us chat. Thank you for joining us. It's always a pleasure to have all you guys in there. Any final thoughts for either of you.
Speaker 3: I mean, go get a catcher.
Speaker 1: That's my final blot. Go get a Catcher and Let's win as serious.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow aimen to both of those things, so again, thank you both.
Speaker 2: Be sure to subscribe to the podcast Apple, Spotify, YouTube, wherever else you get your podcast. If you haven't liked and subscribed to this shows or liked this show specifically and then subscribe from there, please do so. It helps us out a ton and we appreciate that support. Also, be sure to follow us on social media at socks on thirty fifth, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, same handle. You know where to find us socks on thirty fifth dot com, as the website will keep you up to date on all of the major things to know as the White Sox can continue to hopefully make moves. So but for now, for Nick Gower and Brett Haffner, this is Jordan Lesowski signing off on this emergency podcast episode.
Speaker 4: The White Sox have Luis castile and we'll see that.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they go on from there and continue to add, but if not, at least for now, the White Sox are buyers and we can be very happy about that and see what happens from there. So thank you everyone, thanks for the support as always, and go White Sox
Speaker 1: Coase Socks Go socks get a catcher.