Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The eighty two game preseason is in the books, and it is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 4: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 3: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell Casino and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins See DKG dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: The playoffs are upon us the best place to watch right there in person. Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace for playoff basketball, which makes getting playoff tickets even easier and faster. Prices on game time app actually go down closer it gets to tip off with killer last minute deals, all in prices views from your seat. The Lord's Price Guarantee game Time takes the guests work out of buying tickets, save even more when you choose a section and let game time. Choose to see the Lord's Price Guaranteed or game Time will credit one and ten percent of the difference. Take the guest work out of buying playoff basketball tickets with game time. Download the game time out, create an account, use code Nightcap twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Creat an account. Redeem code Nightcap night caap for twenty dollars off. Download game Time today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed.
Speaker 4: Hello ladies and.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, and thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap Olympic Edition. I am your favorite Uncle Shannon Sharp, the guy to your bottom left, He's your favorite, Number eighty five, the Route Runner Extraordinary, the Bingal Ring of Fame, Honoree, the pro Bowler, the all pro Liberty Cities own y'all know it, Chad O Yo, Senko Johnson. Guys, we also have a special guest. We're gonna introduce him in a minute. Let me go through the caterens here. Guys, thank you. Please make sure you go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from. Every subscriber counts, every subscriber matter. We're able to get to this point thus far thanks to your support. Please make sure, please please make sure you hit the light button. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button. Make sure you go check out shay By Laportier. We're taking pre ordists only. Also, please go follow my media company on all this platform. That's Shayshy Media and my clothing company eighty four. That's eighty four sprep spelled out. As you can see Ocho in our Worrying the new Olympic merch that just dropped. You can see what it is right here. Ocho got the white on. I got the gray kind of blue accent. OCHO got the short saw. So hey, they sent me the try to get me to squeeze Texas and Georgia. Y'all know that wouldn't go work. So here we are right now. I could just hold I could just hold up my They actually thought I was gonna be able to fit in these That's what I'm ass doing. Use code Olympics and the chat and the Olympic merch just dropped and the link is pinned at the top of the chat. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a very very special guest joining us to recap the day's events. The sprinting events. He's a five time Olympic medalist, He's a twelve time World Championship medalist. He's a two thousand and four Olympic champ. In one hundred meters, he beat Francis ober Quailu from Portugal by one one hundred of a second.
Speaker 4: He ran nine nine eight five.
Speaker 2: Oberquaehlu ran nine eighty six, heither two thousand and five and two thousand and seventeen World champ and one hundred meters heither two thousand and five World champ.
Speaker 4: In the two hundred meters.
Speaker 2: He's a two thy nineteen world champ in the four by four excuse me, the four x one. He is none other than Justin Gatler. Nephew, what's going on, bro? Thanks for joining us long.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, man, I appreciate it. Chad, what's up? O? Choe? What's up? Baby? Man?
Speaker 5: Everything good? I'm still waiting to race you. I remember, I've been waiting by I've been waiting bout ten fifteen years. Now.
Speaker 6: We're gonna put them spikes on.
Speaker 4: But for you know what. First of all, I was trying to add added to my stats.
Speaker 1: I was trying to get down to say, hey, beat Chad Oto Sinko in the street race.
Speaker 4: But my package an't come.
Speaker 1: I hit the button that said thirty days on Amazon and said overnight.
Speaker 4: So I didn't get my spikes yet. So we gonna wait.
Speaker 6: Oh oh, okay, okay, we're gona beat that popping though. Yes sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 2: Justin, let's jump right into it. In the women's one hundred meter final, this wasn't upset. She was the overwhelming Ferry favorite. Although Julian Alfred has been running well all year, she's been in her bag all year. So let's not just make it seem like she just came on the scene. She's an NCAA champ, she's a medalist on the world stage. She can run, and she put the race together of her life. She got out of the block and to Carrie couldn't chase her down. It seems like to me that Sha Carrie she was not herself. She wasn't a jubilant she wasn't playing around like she normally was. When you watch this race and you break it down from your professional standpoint, what besides Julian Alfred running, Well, what do you think happened to Sha Carrie in this race?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: You know, I think Sha Carrie is known to be a fighter, right, That's how she's made her mark in the sport.
Speaker 4: She's fought the world.
Speaker 1: We know it because you can see it in her races when she comes across that line, you know what I mean. So watching her run, she didn't show that I think in the semis and the finals.
Speaker 4: But once again, just like in the Super Bowl, when you get to the.
Speaker 1: Olympic line, everything that you think of that you when you was a little kid about being an Olympic medalist or going to the super Bowl, and so flashbacks to come to you.
Speaker 4: That moment is here.
Speaker 1: Now, it's a heavy moment that you have to put on your back when that gun goes off. So I think at the end of the day, sometimes that moment gets bigger than you and the preparation you just got to put to the side and say everything that got me to this point, I'm gonna do it again.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, o Joe.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think, I think all she Curry has to do, She's been phenomenal all year.
Speaker 6: She's been phenomenal all year. Obviously, she did win silver. And there's one thing. I'm not a track runner.
Speaker 5: I'm not a track star, but I am familiar with what track runners with athletes.
Speaker 4: I have one.
Speaker 6: Now you know, my daughter's here, she's at University Kentucky. If we can help my baby, if we can help my baby with.
Speaker 5: Her start, just get it better, Just get a faster start, Just get it her start turning over a little faster.
Speaker 6: Because the second the back half of the race, she's good. She's good.
Speaker 5: And other other than that, I have I have nothing bad to say. I'm happy, I'm happy she gets she won silver, and I'm excited I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I don't think that was a Sha carry that we know showed up today.
Speaker 1: And that's nothing against SHA carry, because I think that if the shake carry we know that showed up to Olympic trials would have handle business today, that would have been that would have been a very close race and a very competitive race today.
Speaker 5: Hey, Justin and I I have a question with someone as good as that. I'm sure obviously, whenever you race, especially on.
Speaker 6: A stage this big, do you.
Speaker 5: As a runner, as a competitor, do you still consider it a bad thing?
Speaker 6: Coming in second? Is it?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 5: How do you guys view it as Olympic sprinters not winning.
Speaker 6: Gold but still but still placing You know really well.
Speaker 1: I mean when you look at the point of how you trained all year, you've become the favorite, and you've worked so hard to make sure you want to obtain that goal. Yes, it's a little hurt in your heart, you know what I mean, because your focus is to get that goal. That's what you're here for. You the favorite going into the finals. You the favorite going into the Olympics. So everyone's already saying that it's yours to louse.
Speaker 4: That's what you want.
Speaker 1: But at the if you're looking at it from like fifty thousand feet up, when you look at yourself a seven point nine billion people in the world, you get in that second place. It's still an accomplishment, you know what I mean, Especially for if you have a young career, you have.
Speaker 4: A long career.
Speaker 6: Nay, so yeah, long way.
Speaker 1: I don't think that she should walk away feeling with her head hanging down. Is the fact that it's motivation going into the World Championships and her getting ready for the next Olympics when it comes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but this is what we've talked about.
Speaker 2: We should carry all along, even when you carry before what transpired in twenty twenty one, we always question the starts. We know at this level. This is not high school, this is not the collegiate level. Justin you are not going to consistently run down these men and women if you get left in the blocks.
Speaker 4: They're just too talented. Talented.
Speaker 2: You can't spot a great. You can't spot women and men that are the equivalent of you two meters and think you're gonna chase them down. The reason why Boat got so good, because great is because he worked on that start and once he could get out the blocks even with you. Once he got the fifty meters and he stood up, it was over.
Speaker 4: Should Carry has a top end like you.
Speaker 2: Gotta go back to Flow Joe to find a female that has a top end like should Carry.
Speaker 4: But she's giving up too much.
Speaker 2: Ground in the beginning of the race justin and she can't chase these women down consistently.
Speaker 1: So my coach when I when I was competing, is actually her coach. And my coach always said, Jennis Mitchell said nine to seven, don't catch nine to seven. So you can't give a deficit to an individual that is your equal out there. When you compete in the cast, you gotta make sure that you go through your checks and balances before that race, and when that gun goes off, anything that is what you gotta hit, which is your strong suit. You gotta capitalize on your strong suit. Her strong suit is that second half. She has to be in striking distance of the Julian Alpha. Because Julian Alford is strong, she gonna push to that line and that's what she did tonight. She got in front and she did not relinquish that lead. For s Carrie sh Carrie had to give like you said earlier with Usain Voat, have a good start.
Speaker 4: You ain't got to be in front the field.
Speaker 1: We know that when the light goes on and you hit that fifty meter mark, she Carrie wakes up and we see what she can do when she wakes up. So the fact is now, then lift the gold of somewhere else. Let that be motivation for her to be able to come back and do something bigger and better.
Speaker 4: We need to see a ten to five. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing justin is that we look at her in the trials. She ran ten seventy one. She ran she ran high ten eighties. Do you people, I don't know if people understand how slow Now we're not talking about the world. When she ran ten sixty five, which is probably one of the four or five fastest time ever run by woman. She ran ten seventy one at the Trials and it wasn't closed today. She ran ten eight high ten eighties. That's not she carry shea KaiA can run ten eight to oh in her sleep. But but I believe the moment, the pressure, the expectations came along and all of a sudden, she was she was She was steal in the Blox, I'm like, she not catching Once I saw the way that the way Julian Africk got.
Speaker 4: Out, I said, Shaki is not catching her. Not today, Not today.
Speaker 2: She'd have had to run ten sixty I don't know if she could have called her, she'd run ten sixty five with the start that she got today. Justin and then listen, and what we're trying to do. We're trying to analyze and go through the steps the cadence of what a world class runner, male or female go through. And what Justin said, what I'm trying to say is that look he said it. Dennis Mitchell said, if you run nine seven and I run nine seven.
Speaker 4: And I get you out the gate, you not catching me.
Speaker 2: It's just like a race car if we both got eight hundred horsepower and I'll get you off the line. On Joe, you care to me if I got eight hundred horse powers, you've got eight hundred horse power and with the equivalent drivers.
Speaker 4: So she had to hit that mark. She needed to be with Alfred.
Speaker 2: And then when we got to fifty, now let's see my top end have already was even with your back with your run in, and now let's see who.
Speaker 4: Can get to the last fifty meters and but I go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I always thought about someone when I think about racing. Obviously, I don't know track like that, justin. You can correct me if I'm wrong. I think there may be two phases, maybe three different phases in track. Obviously there's a start that's one phase I would assume. Then you have your drive phase, you know which I'm assuming you driving out to get out, and then I'm not sure what the third phase might get called your transition. Being able to hold that phase as long as possible, I'm assuming your strength. You don't actually turn over and get faster, You're just able to maintain that top end speed longer than everybody else. So when it comes to racers, there's a bunch of receivers in the NFL. Everybody can, but they all get open a different way. So are there runners.
Speaker 6: Or is it?
Speaker 5: Is it crazy to say that each runner has a different strength and nobody will have all three phases and be really really good at all three phases.
Speaker 4: Justin, That's the one thing I love about running one hundred meters. Man.
Speaker 1: All three of us are built different, we have different we have different attributes. We've being to the table, but all three of us could run sub ten. That's what you're looking at when you looking at those women when they get to the line, and the men, it's the fact that there's some are some are tall, some are short, some stocky, some skinny, but the fact that they all can go.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think you have to play on what your strengths are, but you have to mask and protect what your weaknesses are. And her in that situation is all right, we know you're not the best starter in the world. But the fact is, it's saying, like you said, you got to make sure that you get out you are striking distance, and you got to get to what you are good at, which is your top end speed. You have your start, you have your drive phase, you have your transition, you have your top end speed, and you finish.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: It's so five phases, and she's good at four of those five.
Speaker 4: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Once she gets going, it's a rap and we seed it, especially through that through that prelims.
Speaker 4: If you watch her pre limbs.
Speaker 1: Them wheels were spinning when she's coming through that line, and she only caught ten nine and she was just spinning, so you noticed she had a lot left in the tank.
Speaker 4: And the confidence was there as well.
Speaker 1: Going into that finals and that Semis, it was a whole different ball game when you line up next to somebody that you know that can be a possible threat. You know what I'm saying now, you start second guessing exactly in those moments when you're running Olympic finals. There are no fourth quarters, they ain no two halves. You only get ten seconds for them females, You don't get nine seconds for them men. You ain't got time to think. It's all instinctual. You gotta react like a savage. You got to get out there and.
Speaker 2: Just go yeah, I agree with you, justin I'm not for sure. I'm not saying that she ought your Remember you and I was talking justin How fair would it be if Usain Boat had Christian Coleman start or had your start? It wouldn't be four fair? He runs some nine four if he had a start like that, with a top with a like what he has. But the thing is, as runners out, Joe, Once you get to a certain point, it's not about speeding up.
Speaker 4: It's about the profit. When you start to decelerate.
Speaker 2: His deceleration is so much slower than everyone else's deceleration, and so.
Speaker 4: That's why it looks like he's speeding up. He's not.
Speaker 2: It's just everybody, everybody going down a lot faster what he is, and I believe should carry. She didn't need to be second out of the block, but she couldn't be dead last out of the block, And I think that was the difference in the race, because you get somebody like Julia Laffert, who's a strong runner, who can start exceptionally well. If you spot her that much distance. I'm not saying you need to be second out of the block, but if you dad last and give up that much separation, you're not catching.
Speaker 4: You not catching, And it's the same thing, but you're about to give me some nightmares. Man. If you saying bowl had a Christian Coleman start and a You.
Speaker 1: Sain finish, I probably have to take up for a whole of the career.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, when you look at Julian Outford and giving her praise, yes, her track record speaks for it. She's a two time NC double champion one hundred and two, one hundred.
Speaker 4: And the two hundred.
Speaker 1: Correct, she is the indoor world champion just of this year, and then she went into the final. There's one of the fastest times of the season. So she knows how to get it done in championship environments. So she and that kind of person that's sitting there hoping that she gets on a podium, She's coming to get to the top of that podium.
Speaker 4: That's what she's built. Like. Can I ask you this, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Because if you look at a lot of these a lot of these runners should carry did not run after the trials. Julian and Afford ran, no Allow ran, Rob Benjamin ran, Christian Warholme ran, Alison Dos Santos ran them Cabo ran how much because that's like a six week law in between, when you're ear to all of a sudden trying to ramp it back up in six weeks. Do you believe that played a role?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily think so, only because I came from that same coaching system.
Speaker 4: I know Dennis is going to get you ready.
Speaker 1: He knows what he knows what's at state, and we trained extremely hard right to the point where it did give you nightmares when I retired. My body felt better retired than it did when I was in the game of play, you know what I'm saying. So we worked hard, man, So I know that she was working hard, and that moment meant everything, not only to her, but a whole training group. It meant and to her whole circle, her coaching, her agency. They knew that this moment was there for them. So I think that she was prepared physically for that moment. It's just the fact that the moment was very big. Yeah, the moment was very big.
Speaker 2: In that moment, this was a very seismic moment for the small Caribbean island of saying Lusha with a population of under two hundred thousand. Julian Alfred just went rount won the nation's first ever Olympic medal and its goal. Her time of ten seventy two is a Saint Lucian national record that puts her in the top ten all time. The margin of victory the zero point one point five the biggest winning margin in the women's one hundred meter Olympic final since Shelley and Fraser Price won in Beijing in two thousand and eight. That's how dominant, what Julian Alfred just did let that seek in the biggest margin of victory in sixteen years. We know, sha, as far as women started, ain't nobody had a start like the BOMBI Rocket, shelle Anne, Fraser Price. But here's the thing. In order for you to beat Shelle Anne. For Elaine Thompson, Herra, she had to be close because she got that flow Joe closing speed. She said, if I can just be closed, I know at fifty meters, if I'm close, I'm gonna come get you, right. But if you're not close, and hey, look a lot of those Jamaican women can get out the gate on you. I mean, we forget about Veronica Camber Brown, We forget about.
Speaker 4: Stewart, uh Ron, Stuart Start seven.
Speaker 2: Yep, Stuart Stewart, the Jamaican lady for Stuart All obviously, Marley Oddi, Julie All.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jamaica has female sprinters.
Speaker 2: I mean, we just know about over the last sight decade when you talk about Shelley and Fraser, and we talked about Marley and ODDI and we talked, we talk about some of the ones that we know.
Speaker 4: Cherika Jackson.
Speaker 2: Cherika Jackson started as a four hundred meter runner, won the bronze medal, dropped down and now here she is one of the fastest women in the world, the fastest, ran the second fastest time ever at the World's last year forty one starting the challenge in flow. Joe's record, I think her record is what twenty one thirty three, twenty one thirty four. I think it's something like that. So we we know what the Jamaican women can do. But give give Julian Alfred Juju. She put on the show today and you watch the watch party, justin and you see the way that nation. Man, you thought you were at a local bar and that was the hometown team playing in the Super bowls oh Joe or the NBA Final.
Speaker 4: The nation got behind that young lady o Joe Shannon.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you right now, like watching watching her win, and and how many people are in her country over two hundred thousand talking about seven point nine billion people in the world, you understand. And when she goes home to train, everyone in the country line up on the fence just to watch her do drills, a skips and beast skips, just to watch her train.
Speaker 4: They'd have so much love for her.
Speaker 1: She's she is one of those generational athletes that's going to help the next generation of female sprinters and male sprinters. We have confidence to say, I'm from a small island. I can get the job done too.
Speaker 6: I've done yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh uh.
Speaker 2: They're the video surface and Shelley Anne Fraser Price this is her last Olympics.
Speaker 4: She let it be known, this is my last Olympic that.
Speaker 2: I guess what's transpiring justin If you don't ride the team bus, people are having issues getting in and it seems like shir Carrie had that issue and Shelley and Fraser Price had the issue getting to the warm up area. Uh. And I guess when she got there late she ended up tweaking a hamstring. I'm not really sure. You're in Paris justin? What if you heard was the run of the the reason or one of the reasons why Shelley Anne pulled out of this ruce knowing it's her last, her last.
Speaker 1: First of all, it started off that she had hamstring issues, and then it started up that she.
Speaker 4: Wasn't let it into the warmp area.
Speaker 1: Now hearing that it's a she had to ride the bus to be able to get into the into the warm uth area.
Speaker 4: To me, Bro, It's just it's just ludicrous.
Speaker 1: First of all, in our sport, when you are a star, you come in with a private car because you dial there.
Speaker 4: You focused to get on that bus.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that bus gets overpacked there, you know, seats left, you got to sit on the floor.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Just to get to ride for twenty thirty minutes on a bus where there ain't no air conditioning, and to get to the stadium. Yes, it's a humbling experience. But where you are poised to win, or you have one Olympic gold, there should be a different level of preparation for you.
Speaker 4: We know that you can get the job done.
Speaker 1: There's no reason why she should not have been let into the warm up area to get ready for her last one hundred meters that we ever gonna see. I feel like that was a shame to the fact of altering her preparation and the legend that Mommy Rocket is. Now we're going to look back at those channels on the internet and see that vacant lane lane five and there's no Mommy Rocket there. I feel like that that hurt my heart, knowing that such a legend and your legends in your own right. Imagine that they call your name out to come out on the fielding and you don't show up because you couldn't get what you need to get done.
Speaker 4: No Olympics, she do it. We couldn't get into that. You couldn't get into the damn stadium.
Speaker 1: The Olympics shouldn't should oblige those ones that we know that are gunning for the Olympic title, because that's gonna make that's gonna make a better show for everybody.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, Joe War Anti Clive Magic, the US four by four m mixed reelay yesterday, Dwayne Deadman, Vernond Norwood, uh Shamil Little and Brown, I forget Brown's first name. They set the Olympic. They set the world record in the four high four mixed relay. Okay today the Dutch team anchored by the legendary Famica Bold and a sub forty eight Yeah clothing split you ran forty seven ninety three and she tracked down the American to snatch gold.
Speaker 6: Go yeah, I saw that, justin saw that.
Speaker 2: Was it a mistake not to have Quincy Wilson because you took him over there and I don't get it now. He's run in the rounds at the Trials, he ran sub forty five all three rounds.
Speaker 4: His last meet. I think it was the.
Speaker 2: Edwind No, it was maybe the Edward Moses or uh the one in Florida with what's the guy the HRD Mike Halloway Holloway Grand Holloway Holloway Classic. He ran forty four to twenty, which is one of the fastest times in the world this year. Why you said, well, he doesn't have he doesn't have world experience. Well, how the hell are you gonna get it if you don't take it, If you take him cross the water, don't let him run. So what you think what did you think was gonna happen? Justin if you let the kid run, he's gonna all of a sudden blow up and run a fifty. I don't think that's gonna happen. So what do you think happened in the mixed relays other than fifthkenbol running that legendary anchor lady.
Speaker 1: So sources are saying that the Quincy Wilson injured you know what I'm saying, while he was at practice for the relay.
Speaker 4: So if that's the case, I hope he gets well soon. He's had an amazing season.
Speaker 1: First of all, he's pr four times this season as a sixty year old. He ran a whole youth season. Then he went to big boy trials, you know what I mean. He went out there to Olympic Trials, handled his business Olympic Trials, made the relay team, and then he went overseas to run races as well. So he dropped that forty four twenty, which makes him the third fastest American this season, and he ran stride for stride, but one of the fastest Americans this whole season to be able to get that forty four to twenty, and that means he's about the top five fastest times of the year throughout the world, you understand. So, yeah, maybe his leg's a little tired, But if he wasn't injured, there was no reason why you don't use this young athlete on the team. That gives other opportunity to be able to rest the athletes that are critical in your finals. Right, So if you rested Bryce Deadman for the prelim, you put Quincy Wilson in there, He's gonna show out and you're not gonna have a real, look at what the finals. Team USA is going to do in the finals. Now you're kind of leaving everybody or guessing what they look like. They broke the world record, which is bittersweet because they broke the world record at third three premium three minutes seven seconds and three minutes seven and forty forty one seconds.
Speaker 4: Was the world record they smashed right to win.
Speaker 1: The gold was three minutes, seven seconds point forty three, So literally just a couple of hundreds of seconds away from breaking that world record or they could have got that Olympic gold.
Speaker 4: And that's the difference. Yep.
Speaker 2: Look justin you you ran you, You had a fifteen year career at that level.
Speaker 4: You was running sub damn there.
Speaker 2: You and Kim Collins might be the only tu that's ever run sub sub tea then forty years of age, so you know the margins of victory. It's not like high school. You're not finna be blowing these people out of the water. These people can run. And look, I get it, like when you're running, you in the moment and they stayed on the gas. The anchor leg I was listening to Richard Ross, She's like, she's still on the gas. I thought she would back off and save some in the tank. There was no reason to break the world record. Because you break the world record in the prelims and you don't.
Speaker 4: Get gold, people are gonna be scratching your head.
Speaker 2: Was like, damn, did you leave some of that on the track the day before? We oh tell you know, we're talking like, hey, save some of them catches for next week, or save some of those baskets for next week. Don't use them all up right now. So if you're the coach of that team, what would you have said, what would have been your strategy justin going into a week A let's just win to make sure we qualify. We don't we're not out for a world record. We just want to make sure we qualify and then let's drop the hammer in the finals.
Speaker 1: I think right now, it's kind of what the same thing is going on with the mess basketball.
Speaker 4: The world's catching up to you. The world catching up to you.
Speaker 1: You have a lot of international athletes who come to America to get trained by American coaches at American institutes, so they're understanding the ideology that we have when it comes to competing at a high level.
Speaker 4: Right But the thing is happening now.
Speaker 1: Is the fact of as if I was that relay coach, I would say, go out there, qualify, that's all we need to do. Qualify, get to that get to that finals. Then you let loose, get that goal and that world record. Then you gonna catch everybody off guard. But now the fact of they gave Fimketball and Team Netherlands a look, you guys running three minutes and seven seconds. Okay, cool, We're gonna be ready for that when it comes to the finals. They came out with the same quartet, so they knew exactly what that order was gonna be.
Speaker 4: They knew exactly how they were gonna run.
Speaker 6: And of the and of the.
Speaker 4: Fact of you've been in broke.
Speaker 2: We have a little technical difficulties with Justin's Mike. He is in Paris later, so forgive us. And it's the wee hours of the morning, so we greatly greatly appreciate just taking time out of his busy schedule, staying up night late night with us to break down these races. I agree with you, but Harr's the difference is is that you see they brought fimcam. Now is that forty seven ninety gonna take something out of her legs for the four hundred, because you know, seeing Sid wants to be She's thought of right now as the greatest four hundred meter a female woman's hurdler in the history. There's something to be said about a two time Olympic chair because for me, justin I believe this will be a last four hundred. I believe Bobby and her will focus on the open four hundred. It to make her the greater, the greatest middle distance sprinter in the history.
Speaker 4: If she can win a goal, win two goals in.
Speaker 2: The Olympics and the four hundred hurdles and the world and then turn around and in the World Championship win the four hundred gold sitting up for twenty twenty eight to win the four hundred, it ain't even close.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day.
Speaker 1: You got to look at what fimkabos bil fimber Cabal is building a campaign to show how great she is. Yes, Sydney's chasing history. Filmic cabal is chasing Sydney to history. But what's gonna happen is Sydney can't make no mistakes in her race.
Speaker 4: She can't hit.
Speaker 1: Or hurdle she can't stutter step film caball is gonna be right there in that picture frame with accounts. Do I think that that running that forty four to seven, to run that forty seven in that mixed relays is going to tax filmkeball.
Speaker 4: No, she's trained for that this whole season.
Speaker 1: She could running mixed relays from the World Relays all the way through to now, so her body's ready for that.
Speaker 4: It's used to it.
Speaker 5: M Hey, you know when I think, when I think about it, they set the world record and then you come back and to gas out on the last You know, I'm assuming gas that. You know that that monkey jump on your back which allowed the Netherlands or Hollering for that matter, to close the gaps when we weren't able to where we weren't.
Speaker 6: Able to win goal.
Speaker 5: Is there any other methods that you guys go through in preparation for after running a race like that to kind of recover a little bit faster outside of cold tub ice tub massages. Is there anything else you guys can do to kind of refresh your legs after an event like that.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily, we do have the state of our trainers that come with us, you know, for a team for Team USA. So everyone's on deck making sure these athletes are ready for the next next event or the next round for the finals. So I think they're gonna be in great hands when you look at somebody like Filkeball, she ran from fourth place to first place.
Speaker 4: That's hard to do it, ready, if you already in lead.
Speaker 1: Team USA was already in lead by a margin, So for her to run people down one by one to get to the front, what do you do. The only thing you can do is you got to go into your arsenal and get a bigger doune. You gotta go get someone like tap City on the shoulder and say, City, we need you for this mixed relay. We got to see what we can do, because now that's the only thing you really can do.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, okay, yeah, it's gonna be be very interesting the women's four by four, because you know Sydney normally runs like second or third leg. They might save see it for the anchor leg, just in case it comes down to Filmica and this thing's closed. Now that's what I want to see. I want to see. I believe, I believe if fim Cabol has anything less than a five meter lead.
Speaker 4: See it the go get her.
Speaker 2: I've seen Seid run open four forty eight to seventy five and not be pushed. I've seen a run twenty two point zero seven and really not be pushed. I believe she can go. She might be the first since Metalin of Coat in eighty five to go below forty eight.
Speaker 1: Justin Well, first of all, you making my appetite for a competition kind of like spark right now, doc to watch Sydney run down film Cabal in the finals of the of the women's four by four with five me if with five me the game boy, that is going to be amazing to watch.
Speaker 4: Man give it two. Five might be too much. Five might be too much.
Speaker 2: Because but here's the thing we've seen when people are prop clussier to filmka.
Speaker 4: We saw in the World Championship.
Speaker 2: We saw when the girl put that pressure and started to ease up on him. We saw it tied up. You see, it's either to run from behind that is the front.
Speaker 4: Justine.
Speaker 2: You know this because you get to relax now all of a sudden, because if she doesn't come back, ain't nobody saying nothing. Everybody said, well, man, look how far she had to come from. But when you in the front and you feel that pressure and that crowd, and they start standing and they start chomping at the bit, and you hear that crowd. You don't even if you don't look at the board, justin you hear it. You know it, you can feel it. Now all of a sudden, you're like, damn, my ham streets started to oo. Now you start running straight up, you start looking like Michael Johnson.
Speaker 1: Running and see it come absolutely, boy, if they come over the hood, whoop in Paris the an Olympics.
Speaker 4: Boy, I'm gonna come out of a timing. Boy. That's that's it. The table.
Speaker 6: To be dope.
Speaker 2: We look at Ryan Krauser three times. He's the first man in history to win three consecutive shot put the shot win the shot put three consecutive Olympics with three gold medal in the Olympics. He's put it away on his first throw. I think he went twenty two to sixty four meters and then he finished it off with a twenty two point nine zero meters not quite as world record, but he put it away early.
Speaker 4: So what Ryan Krauser likes to do, he likes to get that big throw first, come catch him.
Speaker 1: If you catch him, if you can, absolutely, that's gonna pu pressure on the rest of the competition. If I put that big throw out there, then you ain't focus on how you your technique is. You ain't focus on what you and your coach have been working on all year. You're trying to go get that gold medal. You're trying to get that mark. And at the end of the day, Hey, that many people in the world has ever thrown that far before except for Ryan Krause. So now your whole game plan is all off tilt, now you know what I mean. So he knows what he's doing and he's doing it over and over and over again. The point is he needs to go ahead and clone himself so he can have some competition because right now he's running away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, only Big Joe can consistently. And this is the third straight Olympic that the Americans have gone one two in the shot put. Ryan Krauser's won the last three, Joe Kovacs has been won the silver medal. Joe's like, man, I don't know what the hell like, I don't know what I can do because we know at any given moment Ryan Krauzer can unload a world record, a mythical world record that we thought. I remember, I'm old enough to remember, justin when Randy Barnes through that world record, I think seventy five ten back at eighty eight, and I was like.
Speaker 4: Ain't nobody ever gonna break that record?
Speaker 2: And here in lor and behold we get a six foot five Orgonian over three hundred pounds and he's seventy six, and I mean he obliterated the record. It wasn't a couple of feet, you know. I think Timmerman had the record before Randy Barnes broke it. But he's just he's, like you said, he's in a class by himself right now throwing that sixteen pound metal ball.
Speaker 4: List you as.
Speaker 1: You come across athlete, you come across athlete like Ryan Sidney or are you saying they just say do your best, do your best?
Speaker 2: Let mask give us your preliminary what you think, what you think is gonna happen in the one hundred meters. We got the men, we got no allows, we got Cashane Thompson, we got over laque Seville h We've got Kenny Banerik, we got Fred clerk curly. We got the the Italian that won the I forget his name, Marcelle Jacobs, justin Marcel Jacobs who ran nine eight Ryan nine eighty, but he has not been in that form since he's been nicked all the way.
Speaker 4: You got to me.
Speaker 2: So you've got some guys that are right there, but seems to be the overwhelming favorite. It's Kase Shane Thompson, since he laid down that nine to seventy seven. No allows did run an which is a lifetime best. Again, he's not the best starter. The two hundred meters is his best race because it gives them a chance to build up.
Speaker 4: But it ain't no building up in one hundred meters, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: I think what's gonna happen in this situation is Keyshane is right now is the favorite, right on paper for sure. When you watch him race and you watch him go through the rounds, I mean you go through his practices and you see the videos, he looks like a rocket coming out the blocks, he looks strong, and watching him run that nine to seven and shutting it down at the Jamaican Trials look gave me. It gave me nightmares and I'm retired, you know what I mean. So when you watching, when you watch an individual like that, the only thing you can do is you got to turn it into a foot race.
Speaker 4: Noah Llows got to turn into a foot race.
Speaker 1: Fred Curley and the rest of the guys, they got to meet him at the fifty five meter mark when he goes and tries to take off. You gotta go stride for stride with an individual like that because someone like him, he doesn't need to run through the line. He shuts it down before he gets to the line. Show him something different, Go stride for stride with him for the last to twenty meters and see exactly what he's made of. That's what you only gonna get on top of that podium if you run strivee for try to make him dot die for that line. That's where you're gonna see a different key shame. But you gotta go and you gotta surprise him. You got to go stride for try with half of the half of the race to go.
Speaker 5: And the funny thing about that, when you when you mentioned that being able to go strive for stride, that means you got to get out with him too. So your footspeed, your turnover, your transition at the at the very beginning has to be that much better, that much faster than what you used to running. And then when you when you when you factor in the pressure situation because of who you're running with, the nervousness, the butterflies. Obviously I've never been in that position, but I'm thinking about the nervousness when it would just tire me just to play a regular game on Sunday. So I could imagine in Paris at the Olympics, you know, represent your country. It got to be not the worst feeling, but such an adrilling rush where you want to perfect all the work you put in for the last four years to a t and refer it to a science and the fact that you have someone that's ran nine seven and that's in the back of your mind. It has to be. It has to be, and I'm excited. I'm excited to see it and hopefully you really there's nothing. It's not like magic. You can't just change your routine, you can't change your technique. It just like you said, you got to show him something different.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna make sure that.
Speaker 6: I'm hoping we can do it. I'm hoping.
Speaker 4: I think we have a good shot at you know those guys.
Speaker 1: When you look at Fred Curley, you know he's built with a lot of grit. He loves, he loves to be able to have that adversity, you know what I'm saying, to go through. And when you look at someone like no Allows, he's a showman. He's kind of like a usane boat when the pressure is on and lights turn on, I'm I'm gonna give it my book, I'm gonna show up and I'm ana show out. So I think tam Usa has an arsenal to go out there and upset you know what I'm saying, Keyshane. But Keishane is the enigma. No one's ever seen him in the championship. No one's ever seen him. No one hasn't really raced against them either. So now it's a whole new look. So when that gun goes off, your heart gonna be beating very fast because this is somebody you never race against. You never had an opportunity to watch film on really, so you got to go out there and just run light pole to light pole like back in the day.
Speaker 4: I like that. I think you said something very interesting justin. I remember my coach.
Speaker 2: I was running the I was running third leg of the four hundred meters in the relay, and the guy he ran to open four and he had done got out, and you know, cause you know.
Speaker 4: Back then we could switch the stagger.
Speaker 2: It was like, okay, you pisciling to run the third leg, the second leg, acre leg. We was moving people around, according so coach say, hey, coach wished just around. I was supposed to be the anchor because it was gonna be too far ahead, and so he told me to go to third leg. And so I was like, coach, what you want me to do? He said, sucker, you got to put him to the tab, make him run, make him run the entire don't let him relax.
Speaker 4: So what I.
Speaker 2: Did is is that I ran and I pulled up beside it. So now he got to go. He's got to run faster than he thought he was gonna have to run. But I said, oh, it's something told me. I said, I'm gonna stay here as long as I can because I want to see how I can be uncomfortable longer than you can, bro but because I know what I've done.
Speaker 4: But we're gonna see when we got to that. When we turned got into the curve.
Speaker 2: I say I should go. I said, no, I'm gonna sit right here. I ha, hey, I'm gonna sit right here on him because he know I was there. He kept looking, he kept kept glancing. Once I saw him glance that last time, I said, I got it. When we pulled out, you hit it. We had that.
Speaker 4: Last eight I looked at him.
Speaker 2: I put the batar, I put ay. I put the baton in his face. I told you, and I turned it over to the anchor leg and we brought it home. But that's the thing, what you're saying about what they're gonna have to do to Kashin. You gotta put him to the test. If you let him be Scott three and fifty meterings, you're not gonna be able to touch it. You gotta make him run those first fifty meters because Noah had the top end speed that if I'm with you for fifty meters or I'm a step behind you at fifty, I can bring it home.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yea. And that's what it's gonna take. It's gonna take that grit, you know what I mean. You gotta put up. You gotta put question in his mind or doubt in his mind when you strive for strial and he be like, oh, man, I ain't running nine seven. I must be running nine to nine or something like that, because you right next to me, but in reality you are running nine seven. But I am too, because I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Right tobogo the books wanting he's run he's what he hasn't he run like nine eight? He's run nine eight this year nine He's a legit. There's a Kenyon that's run nine to seven nine. So there have been some There are a couple of guys that are in the one hundred meters field justin that's run a faster time than Noah's lifetime best. Kashane nine seven seven, the guy I forget, the guy from from Kenya. He yes, yes, So there are some guys in there. So but here's the thing, and you know this. Every Olympic we saw uh a softa power come to the line with the fastest time in the world leading into the Olympics, and every time he ain't getting on the podium. So just because you got the fastest time over there in Paris or the Diamond League or whatever the case may be, your trials. Can you run that time when it matters? Oh, you remember the mark of any great office or defense. Can you do what you need to get done when you have to get it done well? Can you run nine seven an Olympic final? Can you run nine seven nine an Olympic? If you can't, that's gonna be the difference in the ball game, Justine.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: When you think about these countries like Jamaica, those athletes carry a lot of pride. But also what comes with that pride is because they putting that whole country on their back. Yes, so you know you got it. That's what you gotta play Kate too. You gotta play Kate too. All right, you got that pride, you're gonna show up. But what about that pressure? That pressure heavy, you gotta We're gonna test that pressure. And that's what Team USA has to do. They gotta test that pressure. And the rest of the field gotta do that too, because that's what's really gonna take because at the end of the day, write down on paper, it's key Shane's all the way, But it's gonna take a real person that to step on to that stard line and finish first.
Speaker 4: He's gonna have to have the start of his life. Yes, he's gonna have to start.
Speaker 2: He's gonna have to start, have the start of his life, his best start, his reaction time.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying he.
Speaker 2: Needs to be Christian Coleman, but he's gonna have to have the start of his life. Because the thing is, if you let Kashan get Kashane get out there and relax.
Speaker 4: You know, a relaxed runner is a dangerous runner. Of Justin, it is. And that's what he was able to get to the lead in the Olympic trials.
Speaker 2: And that's why he can sit it down because he know once he got to the front, he knows the beliefs of Bill. I don't have that kind of top end speed to travel. He knows none of those other guys having a top end speed the challenging. So now he could just sit down.
Speaker 4: I can relax.
Speaker 2: Justin, you know the guy when they got that league, Oh goodness, look at that stick.
Speaker 4: That's how he looked. That's how he looked at it. But he looked up at the screen.
Speaker 1: He's just running half of the race is read and looking up at the screen. But relaxed, relax and as soon and as soon as somebody pull up on him and put him to the test.
Speaker 4: Yup, got to tighten up.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a look at the women's two hundred meters. The favorite hasn't been running well this year. I don't know if she's an injured Srika Jackson. She pulled out of the one hundred meters. She's like her and her coach decided that the best of the best chance for her to win the medal of the gold medal within the two hundred, But I don't know. Has she been under twenty two this year? She hasn't looked like the su Rika Jackson that ran twenty one forty one and at the World Championship and Eugene obviously, Gavin Thomas has been amazing. When you try to when you break this race down, what are you looking at? What's going to surprise you? What's going to be the difference? If Serrika is healthy.
Speaker 1: Is favor If Serika's healthy and we know how Srika could run, in my mind, she's a favorite.
Speaker 4: You know, she gets a job done.
Speaker 1: In the last couple of years, it wasn't about her winning, it was about her chasing that world record, that float joe record. She's the closest one to get to it, so I think the confidence is at a different level, you know what I mean. She's become a world champion. She knows what it takes to be a champion. So the byproduct is the gold medal. The fact is, I want to go after that world record, you know what I mean. So I think a healthy Shika could get the job done. But if it's a not healthy Shika, and I'm only reading through the words of listening to her press conferences and when you talk about preserving your energy or your health, you know what I mean, just to see if I have an opportunity to win just in the two hundred, not over the hundred, and we know she could do damage in both. She's ran ten sixty in the hundred, so she's one of the fastest females in the world bar none know that she can get the job done there. I think that she's buying time for her and whatever her little knickknack injuries may be, to be able to make sure that she's at least close to one hundred percent as possible when she goes out there for that two hundred. But at the end of the day, you cannot count out Gabby. Gabby has shown that she can get the job done. She does it with grace, she does it with poise. It almost shows like a two point oh of Alison Felix. She glides and she prances across that track, but she powers it home that last fifty meter. That's what Gabby's dangerous. At her last races, she just ran. She wasn't even the first place with twenty meters to go, and she served on them.
Speaker 4: He ran out Julian Affert and Anita and Dina have that's what we're talking about. And Julian for just ran ten seven.
Speaker 1: So that that tells you exactly what Gabby has an up her sleeve for this two.
Speaker 4: She in shape and she ready.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's gonna be That's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 4: Oh Joe.
Speaker 2: Obviously the man Noah is the overwhelming. But the grass he wanted last, he wanted last Olympic cycle. You have Kennan Baner. He put a he pushed Noah all the way to the line. You got Arion nineteen, the American that's run nineteen sixty. You got Banig that's run nineteen fifty nine. You got the grass that's run nineteen sixty two. You got a Noah allowed to run nineteen thirty one handicapped this race.
Speaker 1: Noah, that's his that's his baby. He loves that two hundred. That's where he thrives at. Right He's ventured into the world of the one hundred meters and he's been successful so far. But that baby is his two hundred. That's where it's pride, his ego lies. He can't lose. Since he got that bronze medal in twenty twenty one, He's never lost a two hundred meters since then he's been so he's gonna come out ready to roll, no matter what happened. I think we froze a little bit there we go before that, Before that, you look.
Speaker 4: Eran the fresh legs.
Speaker 1: Yet the fresh legs, he hasn't run this season. He's only ran test tricks up his sleeve. He always has tricks up his sleep. He every chip is a more mature athlete than he's ever been in his life. Right now he's poison. I think he's gonna do damage hundred meters and I think he has uh his name on that podium for that two hundred meters, So I think it's gonna be a tight race.
Speaker 4: It's actually gonna we have.
Speaker 2: A little technical difficulties with with Noah, excuse me, with Justin Gatlin. Remember, guys, he is in Paris. There is a substantial Uh, there's a sixth hour. He's not He's nine hours from where we are right now, six hours in the coast, nine hours on the west coast. When I look at kennybin are you surprised that Kenny Binik was able to drop down to one hundred meters and have the level of success we saw Fred Fred came down from the form all the way down to the one. I don't know if Kenny might have ransom for I'm sure he did in high school and maybe in college. When you have that kind of speed, they throw hell, you probably ransom four of the meters in the high school. In college they throw you asside there you're that fast. But are you surprised the level of success that Kenned Beinerrick has been able to have and the one hundred meters after not really running hundred meters, say, the first five six years of his career, especially on an international.
Speaker 4: Level, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: Actually I trained with Kenny before I retired, So I watched him compete. You know, I know that he has I know he has that go, but he has his acceleration is unmatched. It's the fact that he needs to make sure his timing at the end of his races.
Speaker 4: Is there. Same thing with Fred Curley.
Speaker 1: I was the first one to race Fred Curly when he dropped down from the four to the hundred, and he beat me in one hundred meters. I was like, Oh, it's a four hundred beater runer. I ain't got nothing to worry about. Boy. I could not drop him up at the fifty meter barck. He was still with me and he beat me. I was like, I told the world, yo, watch out man, Fred Curly ready boy, And he went on to become He went on to become a world champion. So when you look at guys like that, they're poised to do great things across the board from the four all the way down to the one hundred.
Speaker 4: They have that talent.
Speaker 2: So if you had the handicaps race and you picking who you thinks on the podium in the.
Speaker 1: Two hundred, I'm gonna go Noah, Kenny. I think it's gonna be American sweep. I'm gonna go Noah, Kenny Arian.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to When was the last time we swept the two hundred meters?
Speaker 4: Do you do we have to go back to eighty.
Speaker 1: Four for Olympics? Probably do? Yeah, we probably do. We have to go back far Man, cause I think.
Speaker 4: That was the year. Who was it was it?
Speaker 2: Uh, Carl Lewis, I think Kurrent Baptist and Thomas Jefferson.
Speaker 4: It was a Mike Marsh. I think it was Mike Marsh and there.
Speaker 2: In eighty four. Are you sure he was? He was Mike Martin. That's a little bit. Yeah, that's about.
Speaker 1: Little Yeah, that's a little earlier than Mike Marsh, So probably I.
Speaker 4: Think Mike Marsh might have been like ninety two, but it was a sweep. I think. I think Thomas Jefferson.
Speaker 2: I don't because Jodan Loach, Joda Loach was eighty eight. I think JOEA. Loach, y'all. I don't know why I want to say that, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, it was eighty eight because I think eighty four was a boycott year.
Speaker 4: That was a boycott year. No, eighty was the boycott year. Eighty was the boycott year.
Speaker 2: Was in Moscow because the Soviet inveloded that Afghanistan, and so the Russians repaid us the favor when it was in the eighty four, when it was in La so they repaid us the favor after we boycotted there assid in nineteen eighty. But I know we as a matter of matter of fact, hell, we might have swept on a hundred meters too, because I know Sam Graddy Sam Sam Graddy card One said da da got your Tennessee alone, like yourself. He went to the north side Atlanta, And I think ron Brown might have got the got the bronze.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we might have swept both of them. Yeah, yep, I think that was it. That was one hundred.
Speaker 2: But uh, I was, I was. I was a sophomore in high school and now I remember that. Then the relay, Look, we had three women in the fight. We got silver and bronze. Gabby so Cha Carry will probably run anchor. It'll probably be the same team that won the world and ran one of the fastest time in the history of the women's relay.
Speaker 4: So Gabby will probably anchor. No Car will anchor.
Speaker 2: Gabby will run third leg because she can run the turn like no other t t who made the Olympic finals in the one hundred meters you'll run, You'll run the second leg and Jefferson will get out the gate for us if we could, ain't no reason we shouldn't challenge the world record and win.
Speaker 4: To go.
Speaker 1: You sound like right now, Shannon, you sound like you sound like my co hosts am ready said go. He said, the women the four point one they about to break the world record.
Speaker 4: Man, is there's some news to be honest, man, I mean if you look at who's usually.
Speaker 1: Our formidable opponent is Jamaica, and right now they're pretty dismantled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, becomes no E.
Speaker 1: Laane Trick is probably injured, and then we don't know exactly what's going on with Shelley Ann.
Speaker 4: So we have to see exactly Team USA has it right there.
Speaker 1: It should be an easy win for them, and it should be a world record for them.
Speaker 2: But that word, I mean, you got They're gonna have to this. The batar is gonna have to be perfect because that forty eight, that forty point eight two, I mean think about what they are bliterate moving, I mean, they didn't creep after world record is justin they blew it out of the water. They went sub forty one, which and women nobody thought that was even possible for women to go something because the Russians had that.
Speaker 4: I think the Russians of the East. Germans had that record for damn in German, that's who it was. It was a Germans yep, yep, and so nobody thought sub forty one.
Speaker 2: They're like, okay, yeah, somebody would probably get forty I think the world record at the time was forty one thirty And somebody's like, well, did somebody probably run forty one twenty five to go from what they were running to forty point eight two?
Speaker 1: To listen, when you think about it, those three women that they trained together, t T Terry, Melissa Jefferson, Shakerry Richardson iron sharpens, irons, they trained together. They know how to get the job done, and they're not happy with the result from the one hundred, you know what I mean. So they gonna come back to make sure they get their goal and seal that deal. And what's the better way to seal the deal. Make sure you get a goal or a world record with it.
Speaker 6: Two mmm, I like it.
Speaker 2: So see, they're a question where are the best sprinters from Are they from Florida?
Speaker 4: DA?
Speaker 2: Are they from Teata? Are they from calif Florida? Seemed like Virginia says, hey, we raising our hand. Georgia say, hey, throw us in the mix. What the what state produces the best?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you, just like this, Texas makes the most fast runners, but Florida makes the best fast runners. For whatever reason. When you have a sprinter from Florida, they the best in the world. Boy, Christian Miller, Xavier Carter, myself is different.
Speaker 4: Different, it's different. We could be one of one every night, one of one.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: We don't need we don't need a whole arsenal of sprinters. We just need one or two were good. We're gonna take over the world.
Speaker 4: But Jeff, I don't know if people realize this.
Speaker 2: You started out as a as a hurdlers, attend.
Speaker 4: The hurdler and drop down. Why did you drop down? I just had extra talent.
Speaker 1: My high school coach realized that I was the fastest sprinter, but I also could hurdle. So you know how it is with team you gotta score them points. You try to get all the points you can. So he's like, while why are we trying to fight each other for the same points. We're gonna throw him in the hurdles. So that's how I actually got my start. That's actually how I got to college. Once I got to college, I told my coades I could sprint too, So we had a private practice.
Speaker 4: He saw me spread. He kind of shook his.
Speaker 1: Head like okay, okay. He's like, all right, bron you ain't you ain't a hurdling no more. And then from there I went on to win titles. The first thing I said to him was like, hey, coach, I'm from Florida. He said, oh, yeah, you can sprint. So let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Obviously, what are the typical track practice like for one hundred meters two hundred meter running?
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, if you thinking about it, we have we have stages to get to that point of elite sprinting. So from from November to about January, that's all of our endurance phases. From and you wear on to about uh I'll say, beginning of March that's our sprint endurance phase. And then from March all the way to like May that's our speed total speed phase. So we're doing five hundred repeats in our endurance phase, we're doing exactly with.
Speaker 4: Two minutes, how many how much rest time?
Speaker 1: You gotta come through hit it BYuT a minute fifty and then when you cross the line, you got two minutes rests before you hit the next one, and you gotta hit you gotta.
Speaker 6: Hit sight of the goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's different, broy. You come across that line, fight to get a cross that line. That's how you be looking for how many you said five? Yeah, you're gonna you're gonna do two, and then you got you're gonna back it up. No, you gotta you gotta do five hundred, two minutes rest, five hundred, Then you get six minutes rest and you gotta repeat the process two more times.
Speaker 4: So you got six of them.
Speaker 6: Oh oh hell oh hell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I want to.
Speaker 5: You know, my daughter she run it at University Kentucky. She runs a four and eight. You think she has to do that that they have that same process?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 6: Is it as complex as you guys know?
Speaker 4: Is she still running the eight hundred?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if she's still running eight hundred, she's gonna have some workouts on. It's gonna have a lot of broken a lot of broken four hundreds for show. That's what she's gonna have for Shure real. But yeah, but if she get if you're getting ready for that that speeding Duran's face, that speed and Durn's face is gonna be a looted to repeat one hundreds.
Speaker 4: What's what girl?
Speaker 6: You good?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm good? All right? We talk about your workouts for this season. So it's uh.
Speaker 2: Because I saw what's the guy, Hudson Smith and I think Stevie Gardner, little Stevie the Bahaman, he's the he's the reigning Olympic champ.
Speaker 4: And they had six repeaters of two hundred meters, so.
Speaker 2: You had to come through in twenty six seconds and you got two minute rests. So you come through and twenty six you got two minute rests, and you got to do that six times.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a grooling where you got to put that work in so you can stay that that that that endurance all the way through your season, you know what I mean. So you'll want to get out and get that one off. It's like it's like watching the rounds of the Olympics right now. You can run a one off well, but you need to have that energy for the prelimb semis, and you've got to be able to show on that finals, right, and.
Speaker 2: As you go and as you go, like the four hundred, it's even more grueling because you got the opening round, then you got the semis, and now you got and and now it ain't no more like it ain't no more jogging because everything is a sprint. I watched them guys run the ten k, the ten thousand meters and they basically run it every lap at at.
Speaker 4: A minute one hundred percent. Everything is a sprint. It ain't no more.
Speaker 2: Ay, I'm gonna build up, I'm gonna pay sin and then I'm gonna strike at the end.
Speaker 4: Ain't no more, ain't no more going from the gun. Everything going from the gun. That's what it is. You got to go out there.
Speaker 1: The level of competition has risen in track and field world across the board.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you this. Justin you in the finals.
Speaker 2: You done going through your warm up, You've talked to your coach, you got your last minute instructions. Now you're up under the stadium and they're getting ready to bring you guys out. What's going through your mind as you're getting ready to run as you're getting ready to walk out, and you know, the premiere event in all of the Olympics and all the track and field is the hundred meter and you know, if someone has television that race is on. What's going through justin Gatlan's mind as he's getting ready to come out from under that stadium and take that track for nine seconds.
Speaker 1: I'm a gamer man, I'm a gamer. So I'm itching to get out there. I want to get because what happens is we're sitting in the callroom. The callroom probably as big as walking a very large walking closet, probably twenty by twenty. So you imagine the elite athletes, the best fastest men in the world, they're all sitting shoulder and shoulder in this quiet little room, and so one individual walks in there, they say, y'all ready go. Then you stand up, you grab your bag, you get single file line, and you walk in into that stadium. And then as you walk in it gets dim. But then the whole stadium opens up. You could smell the energy. You could smell the energy because guess what everybody sees you walk out and they look at you and you know what time it is. So for me, My mentality is, this is what I've been waiting for. I'm ready to get on that track. I'm ready to tear these people apart. I'm ready to go out here and put on the show. Because all that work I did, all them five hundreds of everything I did, I ain't I ain't gonna let it be in vain.
Speaker 4: I gotta go out here and show out.
Speaker 1: Especially And when you hit at a championship, it's usually across seas over somewhere else in the world, right, so you're gonna get a lot of dominant European flags flying around.
Speaker 4: People from other countries.
Speaker 1: It always be that one little mayor can flag flapping someone from Iyoa or something like that.
Speaker 4: You never met before in your life, you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And they just waving that flags just to go. Baby, that's where your energy's at. You look at them, you point to them, you be like, all right, I'm doing that for you. And then once that moment happened, you getting that blocks gun goes off. You got a all ass man. That's what you do it for. That pride that I mean, just in your start, that's what you were known for. Your start, that drag you and Kristen, were that where that toe is basically scraping the gras scraping the top of the track, and.
Speaker 6: It's man, tuck your tuck your arms in your arms all out here.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, I'm no, I'm just saying no, I'm talking about the top of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm saying you were doing the exactly.
Speaker 5: You had your arms all right here, man, tuck your arms on an example.
Speaker 4: You gotta go eat in the pocket.
Speaker 2: So so when you when you're when you're doing that, and you like, do you know when you have a great drive, do you know like, oh this it feels.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know when you hit it when that gun goes off and you leave the block.
Speaker 4: But I hit that one just like that, you know it the first the first two steps hit it? Yeah, and you said sorry salar rats you like yeah, especially when.
Speaker 1: You know you can look behind you almost and see everybody like, oh all right, goddamn boy, they're done.
Speaker 4: They done.
Speaker 2: So So at what point in time how many steps do you going before you like, okay, I keep my head because for really like mo Green was really the first one that he stayed, I mean he stayed, he kept his head down and then all of a sudden it was like a swimmer.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden he popped up on top of the water.
Speaker 2: You know, like Michael Phelp when he go down and they stay up underwater, and all of a sudden he pop up. It's like, Mo Green was really like the first one that we really noticed. I mean Ben Johnson. Ben Johnson did it also, But we ain't gonna talk about being uh but Mo, but how many steps are you? Kind of your steps says okay, one, two, three, four, five, Okay.
Speaker 4: Here I go.
Speaker 1: You don't necessarily have to count your steps. I use actually places on the track as a point of reference. So if I get to that point of reference, it's almost like thirteen fourteen steps. So if I get to that point, I know I could eyeball where thirty meters is. I know I got to drive to there once I once I come across that that that piece of line or that color on the track, I can say all right, this one, I start to come up and start moving. Because you can't. You gotta have your blinders on when you and your drive phase. You can't be looking around over the place. That's where your real focus is. Once you come out that drive phase. You go in that transition, everything's a blur, and then that's when you start to come into your competition phase. Once you get to that top end speed, and then you can look around and say, okay, this is where everybody is.
Speaker 2: Hmm, that's live many How many steps?
Speaker 4: How many steps did it take you to run one hundred.
Speaker 1: Meters forty one steps? You say it was forty steps.
Speaker 4: Wow. So being here with the longest strivers, you're.
Speaker 1: Looking at an average elite elite athletes taking about forty forty three steps to forty four steps.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I was. I was doing forty four in high school too.
Speaker 4: Bright.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, that's crazy, bro, that's moving.
Speaker 2: Hey, make sure you guys go follow Justin on ig at Justin Gatlin on.
Speaker 6: Twitter, to Twitter, Justin Gatlin on Twitter.
Speaker 4: At Justin Gatlan on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Also, he has a podcast, what's your podcast called He Set, Ready to Set Go, All Things Tracked. Obviously, you're talking about a guy that's one of the greatest printers, not only just in American history, but in all the world, in all time history. He's an Olympic champ, he's a World champ. He's an NCAA champ. He's a high school champ. And you talk about sprinting. What better way to get information than somebody that's done it, not talk about doing it, he's actually done it on an extremely high level. You want to I've been talk about this, Poe Voter huhnh Justin hud Oh, yeah, hey, Justin. We really appreciate, oh, Jo and I a nightcap family. We really appreciate you staying up late at night giving us your expertise on what transfire today and the women's one hundred meter final obviously to go over what's gonna transfrib, what possibly transpire in the men's hundred meters and the two hundred as well as the women two hundred meters. We didn't get We didn't get to the four hundred. Stevie Gardner's trying to repeat. Only Michael Johnson is the only man in the history of the Olympics to ever repeat the four hundred meters. And we've had some great ones. Lee Evans didn't do it, Jeremy Warner didn't do it, way that Knee Kirk didn't do it. Lashawn Merritt didn't do it. See, I mean, think about it. Only Michael Johnson is the only man in history to ever repeat the four hundred meters, and so Stevie Gardner, little Steve, a little Stevie is trying to do something only one other man in the history of the Olympics has ever been able to do.
Speaker 4: To repeat the four hundred meters as the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so hopefully we can get you back on here and we can recap the men's hundred meters, two hundred meters, possibly the four hundred meters. So, Bro, I really appreciate you of stopping by taking time with us today. Man, best of luck, save travels from Paris and we'll catch it with your something.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I'll be looking at mail for my night cap shirt.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I love both of them. I need both of them.
Speaker 6: Man, So got you.
Speaker 2: I got you as text, ask your address, T shirt, T shirt.
Speaker 1: Sure you ain't gonna put the short, you ain't gonna put them shorts on? Give me them shorts right there? They too smart for you already. Now beside, it's hooty daddy summertime. Man, hoochy daddy show us. Man, that's my that's my short.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 4: We got you, We got your cover. Bro, Hey, just appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Get some rest, man, and enjoy the enjoy the rest of the the events, the rest of the while you're over there, man, really appreciate.
Speaker 4: You appreciate it. I saw you.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's uh, Justin Gatling Olympic champion, the one hundred meters, world champion one hundred meters, two hundred meters, and the n c A champ taking time out of his schedule to uh bring us some expertise.
Speaker 4: Guys. We sure.
Speaker 2: What we try to do is that we try to bring you guys the best information that we possibly care. Yeah, Ocho and I can talk about it, but you know, I say, you know what, how about I just go ahead and reach out and see who you're.
Speaker 4: Willing to come on?
Speaker 2: And uh, he was willing to come on and uh, and we greatly greatly appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Go ahead. Uh. Oh, who's this?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Two world records have been sent? Huh what okay?
Speaker 2: The fridge pole vater pole gets him bound from the heat. We can we can't show it, but I know you saw the video. He goes up fine, but when he's coming down, something ends up knocking the bar, knocking the knock at the.
Speaker 6: Bar off what it is, what happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah that oh you're talking about?
Speaker 5: Oh buddy, Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's messed up.
Speaker 6: That's messed up. That's messed up. That's crazy for something like that to happen.
Speaker 5: Obviously, God bless you and then and those blessings mess up you at the Olympics and now you're going home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he might need to try another Olympic, the poorn Olympics. He might. He might be great now with o yoke hey, but his day, his day at the poe Warty gets over thanks to that mishalp.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's messed up, man, that's created Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a.
Speaker 2: I guess when they said track and feel meat, he didn't need it. He left one of the e's out. Oh yo, he left one of the eaves out.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, y'all pause pause.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Two world records have been said in the past two days, and the mixed four by four me to relay Burning Nordwoods, Shamir Leonard, Kaylen Brown and Bryce Dedmon set the world record with a time of three minutes seven seconds, three minutes seven point four to one second, three minutes seven seconds for forty one uh. And that was yesterday in the prelibs. As we mentioned earlier, they ended up losing the gold medal, but because they did break the world record, and I said, any American that breaks the world record. So as a matter of fact, Vernon Norwood hit me in the DM hen Ash has already exchanged information. And so over the next several days we're going to get the mixed relay team of Vernon Norwood, Shamier, Little Kaylen Brown, and Bryce Deadman. We're gonna all get them on here. And so they do have fifty thousand coming their way to be split twelve five to each.
Speaker 5: Of the Congratulations, Congratulations, Congratulations you guys.
Speaker 2: Wish you guys could have pulled it off, but hey, I'm a man of my word. We're gonna get that dumb done. And in swimming, Nick Think, Gretchen Walsh, Tory Husk, and Ryan Murphy brought home the goal for Team USA and the hundred meter mixed relay and set a new world record in the process. So congratulations USA. Two world records, one in a gold medal winning perform much the other in a silver performance. But hey, we're proud of any metals. We're proud of bout men and women that went over there and represented the US very very well.
Speaker 4: So thank you guys again for your hard work all that.
Speaker 6: And I wish I could have went over there to represent US and something. I know, I'm old. I'm not sure what.
Speaker 5: I could have done competitively, like yeah, but damn, man, what he like listening to Justin listening to Justin explained being in that room with all the sprinters and they call you, and then you going to the stadium and it's dim and then it opens up. Oh man, that all that feeling, man, remember that feeling unk man coming out of the locker room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the stadium, Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean yeah, man, can you get better than that? The Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: You walking out there and they're gonna getting ready to introduce your name, and you're standing on the sideline and that stealth bomber ends up flying over at the end of the National leanthrop and you see it and then it goes over and then with its passion. Now you know.
Speaker 5: That was crazy just just thinking and visualizing that.
Speaker 6: Man, That's that got to be the greatest feeling.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, So well, how many more days we still got a week left?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Because it doesn't until what next Sunday next Sunday Okay.
Speaker 1: The volume