Speaker 1: It's the Son of a Butch podcast. I'm your host, Claude Harmon. So when I started the podcast, the idea was to get people obviously in the golf space. Players, caddies, coaches, people that everybody kind of knows are in the golf space. But I also wanted to talk to people who aren't necessarily golfers. They're in other walks of life, but golf is a huge, huge part of their life. And so I was down in Australia last week for the live event in Adelaide and got to catch up with Cameron Avery. Cameron is the bass player for one of my favorite bands, Team and Paula. I'm a huge fan. And Cameron was a very very good competitive amateur golfer. He talks about, you know, kind of thinking about going to play Division I college golf in America, but chose to forge a career in music. And like I said, Tam and Paula they headlined Glastonbury a couple of years ago, a huge band out of Perth, Australia. And I mean, this guy's got a very very good golf swing, played in the US mid Am last year and loves golf. He's doing some stuff in the golf space. So these are the kind of podcasts that you know, when you have your own podcast, you can kind of bring on people you want. And Cameron, I'm a huge fan of what he does in music and to get to talk to him about kind of the merging of music and golf and kind of that world that a lot of people are getting into now content creation. So bass player for one of the coolest bands around and loves golf and golf is important to his life, So this is a cool one. And Cameron Avery.
Speaker 2: On The Son of a Butch podcast.
Speaker 1: Cameron, first of all, when I started doing this podcast, the idea was to get people in the golf space. And one of the cool things about having your own podcast is you can kind of do what the hell you want. And so the fact that I'm actually going to interview you and you love golf, but you're also in Tam and Paula, which is one of my favorite bands, is just kind of surreal to me. I think we're in a really interesting time in golf to where there seems to be like a crossover between like music, fashion and people like yourself that are you know, on tour in huge bands. I mean the fact that you guys played Glastonbury headline Glastonbury, but you're also a scratch golfer and golf is a huge part of your DNA, the mix of golf and music for you.
Speaker 2: What's that like?
Speaker 3: Well at the beginning, in the beginning, it was only golf, like it was up until I was probably eighteen. That's all I wanted to be. I used to like buy these sort of like Diet Burbery shirts. I wanted to be Adam Scott much to like the you know, the DNA of like your DNA, literally your DNA. I used to just I would lord over. I mean I had the same blades as him. I wanted to be Adam Scott and Tiger Woods until I was like sixteen or seventeen, and then I didn't play for like ten years, and then I went through a pretty weird time in my life, and golf sort of came back to me and sort of, I don't want to say like propped me up, right, but golf has this thing for me that it makes me very self accountable, just sort of inherently because I think there's no one else to blame, you know, the allegory to life. I think is the most amazing thing that I love about golf. That's the most amazing thing I think take away from it.
Speaker 1: I think we all want to be Adam Scott, right, I mean I think everybody. I mean, I've known Scotty for a long time. My dad and I worked with him. You know, it's like sometimes I feel like he's a member of the family, but he is just he's such a unique character. And I think for those of us that know him privately, as cool as everyone thinks he is, like he's even cooler because there's so many things that he's into. The vintage Rolex stuff. You know, he's big into fashion. He loves kind of anything vintage. He's into ye and that's kind of my vibe. I know you're big into that too. He's always been kind of at the forefront of golf fashion, from Burberry to Acquascutum to Uniclode. Now, what do you think is kind of Scotty's style stuff that everybody loves so much?
Speaker 2: It's he is.
Speaker 3: He has this thing, including his golf swing, including I think the partnership, like the commercial partnership deals he does with Rolex in Uniclo on Berby Before that he's just utterly timeless. Everything he does, it's timeless, but somehow he's timely as well, So like he's sort of pushing this sort of yeah, and he's he's always stuck to his guns. He's never he's never followed a trend. He's always worn the same kind of tailored pant and the kind of a silhouette that he's always cut. You can tell that he puts a lot of thought into that. And I was surprised when I got to play with him last year at Castle Pines. I was probably didn't give myself enough credit for how nervous I was because Bussy, his caddy, was like I knew Bussy and buscoes, hey mate, are you playing? And that pro am tomorrow? He goes, what do you want to play with Scotty and I was like and I sort of was like yeah, sure, just sort of like palmed it off, like yeah, this is gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna love this, and yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize how nervous I would be on that first tea because I was kind of like, you know, it's been I didn't play golf for ten years, so I was very much out of the golf community. But then when he was sending in front of me and I had to hit a t shot in front of him, I was kind of just like WHOA. But he definitely has that aura, and I think it comes from his attention to detail and his intention with his golf swing, with what he's wearing. Like you said with you don't become a collector of vintage rolex Is unless your attention to detail is you know, unless you very have a very high attention to detail.
Speaker 1: And he's always kind of been this kind of international amount of mystery. I mean the house in Switzerland, he lives in the Bahamas. You know, he's married to a Swedish you know, he used to have an appointment in Stockholm.
Speaker 3: He's always I didn't know he lived in New York. He justaid because I lived in Manhattan, and he's sort of just going like he's like, oh, he used to live there, and I was like what, so yeah, I mean it's and I kind of love that, like I've always you know, and I think it's in the age of like social media. I think it's the opposite of what we used to We used to love think about rock stars or actors. We used to love when there was a bit of mystery about them, you know. But now these days people just stick cameras in front of their faces every single day and broadcast themselves, you know. So I think it's kind of nice to have someone who's, you know, just lets his golf do the talking and his brand identity and everything else that he does.
Speaker 1: He kind of follows the old school model of Hollywood, right. The worst thing in all Hollywood would be to be infamous. You were trying to be famous, and Scotty has always kind of managed this kind of cool. He's he's I mean, I was with him a couple a month ago in Dubai. I mean, like you said, he's timeless. He's aging well and the golf swing is still amazing.
Speaker 3: Getting better because I was looking, I mean, I was just looking. I used to try and swing it like him. I mean, I'm not as fit as I used to be, but there's a lot of sort of his DNA in my golf swing and watching how compact his swing is becoming now, because I remember he used to have that really really long high left arm that sort of went up near his chin, and now he's really flattened it out and his right arm is a lot closer, like his hand are a lot more in front of his body, and it's like he's getting stronger. I feel like, and watching him hit balls for nine holes that day at altitude was like with something else was incredible. I can't believe the flight when it comes off the club base, Like, how is that possible? The optimal spin with his driver or his mini driver or whatever he's carrying right now.
Speaker 1: And I think the other thing about Adam is there's this like synergy with Roger Federer on the tennis side. You know, they're both role ex ambassadors. They've always kind of done things kind of in a very very classy way. They're both uniclo ambassadors now and it's kind of like they're the gold standard of Like I always say to the young people that are playing professional golf for the first time and they're starting out their career, I'm like, if you could model your career off of an athlete, especially in the golf space, Adam Scott would be a great, great person to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's perfect.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you took up golf and you probably could have played division. Did you ever think of going to the US and trying to play Division one college golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: I remember there was some conversations I had with U and LV and a little bit with there was someone and at one of the uzzy ams that was my grades were terrible.
Speaker 2: Let's get that out of the way.
Speaker 3: I was already kind of like goofing around playing guitar a little bit and surfing every day.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I wanted to go.
Speaker 3: I mean my dream was to like get into a Division one college team and play golf and then graduate and then going to the PGA too. That's that was everything I wanted to be. That was everything I can think about, so definitely, and then I guess music sort of just became this thing that like, I think I also realized I wasn't a killer like I needed to be.
Speaker 1: And I think I read that you said that one of the reasons why you didn't continue to pursue a career in kind of professional golf is you looked at the greatest players and they all have that kind of killer instincts. Some of them wear that very much on their sleeve, some kind of have that silent kind of killer instinct. I think Scotty Scheffler has that right now. He's such a great guy. The way he lives his life on and off the golf course. He's kind of like the Tom Hanks of golf. But he is a stone cold killer. If he has chances to win, he is going.
Speaker 2: It in his way.
Speaker 3: He'd off he WIT's what I mean like, And I kind of recognized that I had, like some pers I used to play against Jason Scrivner. I played against Danny Lee a couple of times, and I remember, like I was like the I think it was like the Lake Macquarie Championship somewhere in New South Wales, like I'd played a really great couple of days. Can remember what I shot. I'm probably even or two one that I can't remember. Danny won by like eight shots, shot like ten under or something like that, and just absolutely destroyed, destroyed the field. And I just was like, I'm watching his focus coming up the fairway, and I was, you know, already having a good time.
Speaker 2: And I love having my friends, and I just never really I loved hitting great golf.
Speaker 3: Shots and I loved competing, But when I really came down to it, I think I recognized that by the time I was twenty one, twenty two, twenty three that I didn't really have that like real killer thing that I saw other people that other people had. And then and music sort of just became you know. I think I said to Brett Rumfort, I had to I felt so nervous. I had to go to his you know, went around to his house and we went hit golf balls, and the ranger I said, I don't know if I want to do this, and he'd sort of reared me from a very young age to play golf, and I sort of looked at him, and I think I remember saying, like, I think I want to make things, not win things. You know, like if I make a song or an album or a film or or like something like, then you know that's mine forever. Whereas I feel like someone's gonna win that tournament next year, and I don't know, I just that's the way I thought when I was seventeen or eighteen, and you know, up into my twenties, that's sort of Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Melville Glades Championship. You were supposed to play in that big tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like so there's this thing called how old were you?
Speaker 3: That was probably when I was twenty one or twenty two, and so I was already into the senior division and there was this your state Packston Averages and I needed to maintain a certain level to qualify for the West Australian state team or qualify for playing interstate events and things like that, and I just remember I was teetering. I was wavering on, like the golf thing, and then I hadn't told Brett that I don't think I want to compete anymore. I was trying to pick a job, you know, I was trying to I had these grand ideas of I had to pick something that I had to do with the rest of my life. And I remember like Oasis was playing. It was like I think it was one of their last shows. I'll have to find out when exactly what year this was, because I think it was like one of their last shows in Australia before they broke up. And they were playing with I want to say wolf Mother or either them on kings Leon at this big vestival called Rocket in Jodle Up and I remember just going like, yeah, I'm going to go to the Oasis concert.
Speaker 1: So an Oasis concert instead of going and play an amateur golf from Is that the one where Liam Gallagher got arrested on the flight coming down to Australia. You got arrested for drinking excessively on a flight, I think on a virgin flight down to Australia.
Speaker 3: That's a weird thing to do between England and Australia because I feel like at the Ash isn't coming to talk about cricket now. I feel like they have competitions who can drink the most amount of beers between here in London. I don't I can't imagine. I mean, I mean, I don't remember that him getting arrested, but I'm not surprised. Back then, we'll get back to golf in a minute.
Speaker 1: Music. How did you get into music?
Speaker 3: I guess it was my mom was a singer. My mom sang on the boats. That's how she met my dad. My dad drove the boat, my mum sang on the boat. My mom was a musician. What kind of it was like in these wine cruises they have in Perth, they have these like wine cruises and my dad drove the boat and my mom sang on the boat, and that's the really how they met. So my mom would do these like floor shows at the end of the like on the wine cruiser, when everyone had a bit to drink that you drop them off at a winery. They get a bit pissed and on the way back, my mom would you know, start singing these sort of like show tunes. I eventually got that job, by the way, because I needed money when I was trying to be a pro golfer.
Speaker 1: So you sing while you were trying to be a pro golfer. Your singing a wine.
Speaker 3: Cruise, Yeah, I was singing on this little riverboat. Yeah, yeah, riverboat cruise.
Speaker 1: What kind of music were you singing?
Speaker 3: I can't remember. I think it was like Sinatra songs. My mom like raised me on that kind of stuff. So, I mean, but before then, like I would sing in the car, and I didn't realize how much I was into music. When I was a kid. I was like, no, I always wanted to be a sportsman, she's And then she sent me these pictures I'd turned like tennis rackets into guitars by putting shoelaces over the thing. And then like she says, you always wanted to sing, She saying, when you were little, you would like sing the same song to a party of people when you would. You know, I always loved it. I think it's the performing thing. I don't know if that's egomaniacle or not, but I was. It was kind of like I always wanted to perform, you know. And then as I got older, I think I was a weird looking kid. I was like this big, sort of lanky, goofy where braces, kind of chubby and weird. And I figured if I got a guitar and I could play guitar like at house parties or wherever I was, I might get a girlfriend.
Speaker 2: You know. It was just a big ploy. This is a big ploy to get girls.
Speaker 3: And then I ended up doing it for the rest of my life, you know, for the next eighteen years of my life. So I got into that. And then there's a guy called Adam sort of taught me how to play. I used to go into the music groom at lunch times and when he would just teach me.
Speaker 2: Stuff and guitar, guitano, guitar.
Speaker 3: I had piano lessons when I was eight, and I can't read music, and I'm like dyslexic, so I can't really I could never get the eg BDF kind of stay I can't still to this day, I still can'try music.
Speaker 1: How many instruments do you play?
Speaker 3: Just the basic like I played guitar first, and then I started playing piano, and then I played drums for a ban called Pond, and then I played bass.
Speaker 2: Bass was the last one.
Speaker 3: Was the last instrument that I sort of really got into, and that's probably I'm probably the best at bass now, just from learn Kevin Parker's basslines for the last you know whatever.
Speaker 2: It is twelve years or so.
Speaker 1: When you're on on tour, when you are playing with Team and Parla, how many instruments in the show when you are playing live? How many instruments will you play?
Speaker 2: Mate? It's pretty wiry up there. We've got like.
Speaker 1: How many people are For people that don't know, how many people are in the band.
Speaker 3: I think there's five of us, and then there's two drum kits for starters, which is there's only one drummer.
Speaker 2: It's two drum kits.
Speaker 3: Jay has something like three or four synths on his side and kronos like a keyboard. Dom has I want to say three or four, maybe five, and then he has five or six guitar lines. I can't remember it's it's somewhere around that number five or six guitar lines.
Speaker 2: I have a.
Speaker 3: Bass line and a bass synth line. Kevin has two or three guitar lines, So there's like I guess on stage there'd be something.
Speaker 2: I know there's something like.
Speaker 3: Forty channels get like for five guys, like forty channels going to the mixing console.
Speaker 2: It's probably more. I can't remember, and most bands would have white if there is.
Speaker 1: Let's listen, we've got five.
Speaker 3: You go think there's like ten mics and a drum kit, you know, and there's five. There's there'd be you know, someone playing guitar. There's another channel, and then you've got someone playing bass. There's another channel, and then you've got someone playing and then a singer, you know, So you'd probably have twenty maybe twenty twenty five. We have so many it's absurd. But I think that's literally one of the funnest things I've been able to do over the last like ten years is playing in that band is like they're the best musicians in the world that I've ever played with in my life, the most talented ones I've ever met. Like playing bass along to Julian Barbeguello's drums.
Speaker 2: Every night is a dream.
Speaker 3: And part of the fun is like we take these like opuses that Kevin writes and pull them apart and every rehearsal and go, how are we going to play this song that Sometimes it's something that Kevin came up with it, like in the middle of the night after drinking a bottle of wine, you know, like so and so we sort of, you know, I learn all the bass lines, and then Dom will help, like Dom the keyboard player will help, like synthesize the sounds, like he'll recreate a synth sound.
Speaker 2: If we can't take that synth.
Speaker 3: On the road, Dom will help recreate it, and you know, and putting these songs sort of it sounds silly, but putting these songs back together from these like yeah, amazing arrangements that Kevin puts on the albums and figuring out how to make those sounds so that the crowd isn't disappointed when you know, so they can bring these songs to life.
Speaker 2: Is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: Is one of the funnest things, Like the rehearsal is nearly just as fun for the for then the shows.
Speaker 1: How much do you think learning music, practicing music, being obsessed with music is kind of similar to the obsession that you and a lot of people who listen to the pod have about golf. Are they similar?
Speaker 3: I would say golf helped me become a better musician in the sense that because I can't read music, but I learned how to break down tasks. I remember I got taught at ver at young age about like practice schedules, but which obviously we could talk about that for hours, like in the morning. It would be like, if I'm trying to learn a skill, you know, like if you're trying to make a swing change, you need to, you know, first start doing with like, you know, a fifty percent shot on the range, and then start speeding it up a bit, and then eventually you can take it out into practice rounds, and then eventually.
Speaker 2: You can use it in competition, you know.
Speaker 3: So basically golf helped me become obsessively specific about certain things. So if I'm trying to learn a song, maybe it's a baseline that's quite tricky, I will play it two different tempos and then I'll play it I'll play it really slow, and then I'll play it really fast. I'll play it in a swung way, I'll play it in a different rhythm, and it gives me this ability to moti memorize songs. So like I think obsessive specificity is something that golfers and musicians have in kind. Is that like there's a broad stroke and a broad goal, but being able to break that task down or that song down into different sounds and different channels and different techniques is something that there's massive crossover I think between musicians and golfers in that sense. Mentally, I think the mental approach to making a great song or for me, it's like learning a great song or achieving something on stage. Weirdly, I like performing a lot more than being in studio. So if I'm trying to learn a performance, whether it's me playing solo piano or playing in tamapala or anything, I think learn a performance and learning how to swing a golf club became very It came very naturally to me because of that. Kevin I think even said that once He's like Cam's more of like a musical jock than anything else.
Speaker 1: Writing music versus making music, like writing songs and stuff. I read once you said you don't try and write songs. You wait for the songs to come to.
Speaker 3: You said me, Yeah, I mean it's it's it's a weird one. I'm not like like spiritual, but it's a funny thing like I sort of wait for I feel like sometimes if I like smash my head up against a wall, like I'm going like write a song, write a song.
Speaker 2: Write a hit.
Speaker 3: Right, Maybe that's why I would never be a great like sort of you know, one of those like Max Martin kind of like pop song churning them out, churning them ot, churing them out. I wouldn't be great at that because I get no joy out of this kind of like sitting there and kind of like trying to write a pop song. And it never really works for me either. So I think, like I write down lots of bits and pieces. So if I'm writing a song, it usually starts with lyrics. Like last night, but right before I went to bed, I had a couple of glasses of white and like these lyric came to me. I was like, I can't remember what it was. I could probably pull it up on my phone and I write down three or four more lines that have to do with that. And so that it's kind of just like capturing like a feeling or a vibe about the way I'm feeling, and how do I put into words about a moment or something I'm feeling. And then usually a melody will come after that, and then I'll try and fit chords around that. So I kind of wait for it to come and then sometimes man, I can like I'll pull this up. I know the people listening won't be able to see it, but like these are all just like bits, bits and pieces of songs like just this like tiny like yeah, like I guess like how I'm trying to find one like there go this is this is sort of how it sort of comes out. This one says there's a river in a city. They're all like broken verses and it doesn't make any sense, but I start with the lyrics because that words have made. My heroes are Tom Waits and Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen.
Speaker 1: And I read that you were a big Tom Waits fan when when I was in college, down by Law of the Jim jur Mooch film, That's What's favorite film was my favorite film in college. We watched that role That's religiously I loves.
Speaker 2: To have a poster on the wall, and I lost all.
Speaker 1: Of Jim Joy Mussa's stuff, that whole kind of static that black and white and Tom Waits was his music was always in those films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this happens with Jockie Philip Bourbon and there's.
Speaker 1: That great scene where they're in the prison cell and he's like ice Ice scream and they also scream, and they're.
Speaker 3: Like because his character is that guy is Roberta. Bernini's one of my favorite actors of all time as well. That's my favorite film because John Lewie was in the Lounge Deards absolutely and Waits is one of my heros. And Benini is a master. He's the best physical actor I've ever seen in my life. But I remember, like I had the poster in my first apartment in New York. I had this big poster of that scene when they're all leaning on the bars. Because one of the funniest things, I made this neon sign that said because he says I am no criminal, and he says I have a good egg, and so like I always love I have a good egg, So I made this sign that said I have a good egg. Anyway, Waits was like he's still still like I have a proverbial go bag in my bank account. Like if we were sitting right now and someone said Tom Waits is playing in Switzerland tomorrow, I go see you, claude, have a nice rest of your day, and would just leave. I'd give my left arm to see that guy play again.
Speaker 1: You had an apartment in New York that had a bed and just a piano, and that was it. You told me the story yesterday, But you've got to tell the story.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Well it was I was.
Speaker 3: I moved to New York and my upstairs neighbor is an amazing producer call Lauren Humphrey, and he said I said to him. I was like, hey, dude, I had this big sort of twelve hundred square foot loft that I got off another musician friend of ours, and I said, hey, man, do you have a doing one with an upright And he goes, no, no, no. But I know poor Kostavi is selling a grand He's a guy from a bank called Colts.
Speaker 2: So I went up there.
Speaker 3: I wrote in the back the trunk of someone's like Honda Odyssey, and went up there and checked out this piano and it's probably. You know, I can't remember what it was worth, but you know, he said to me, and he was, so he's the best.
Speaker 2: I love Paul.
Speaker 3: And he was like, I probably need four grand for it, and I think I said. I was like, well, I've got three thousand in my bank account. This is everything I had, and I just I just paid rent, so I had and it was cheap back then, and I said, I'll give you two. So I gave him two thousand dollars for this piano. And then luckily I had a freight elevator. I was on tour when they put it up there. So I got home and all I had in my bedroom I'm not even drinking. I had a bed, it's tempopedic mattress and a shag rug and this piano and that was it. There was nothing in there. It looked like and people would come over and it was like, is this an art installation? Like this is literally what it looked like. So but I was happy then, you know, like, and I had an ashtray full of cigarette butts. I used to smoke like a chimney and I would just sit there. I was really good at piano for that year because all I would do was sit around and play piano. So like that was like my best bowhome impression. You know, you live now in Los Angeles. What's the difference you think in the vibe between New York and LA. My daughter's just moved to New York. She's twenty one, she's just out of college. She's living in Murray Hill. And I am all I ever wanted to do. When I was twenty one years old was living in New York City. So I am living vicariously through being young. Living in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: You got to do it young, you have to.
Speaker 1: Manhattan has a very specific feel and buzz to it. I've never lived in New York City, but I lived in LA and LA has a completely different vibe as well. Yeah, And I think people in LA look at New York like it's another planet, and people in New York look at LA like it's another planet. Yeah, but what do you feel is kind of idiosyncratic about living in New York and then living in LA.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's tough. I've seen people come and go. I've come and gone a couple of times in New York, but New York's my favorite place in the whole world. I think it's because you've got like, you know, the population, you know, three quarters of the population of Australia living on an island that's eleven miles long.
Speaker 2: And then when you count all.
Speaker 3: The burrows, I think it's what is it, twenty something a million people and you've got everyone all these walks of life living on top of each other.
Speaker 1: You feel it.
Speaker 2: You can in New York. You can feel in the city and you can feel the pace.
Speaker 3: And I think, like we always just say the rules are like ten years sandy or nine to eleven, and you're kind of in New Yorker like, and I sort of consider myself part of that DNA. But I feel like it's like everyone's very everyone in LA. And I don't like shitting on LA, but I do sometimes because I feel like everyone's nice, but they're not necessarily kind, whereas no one in New York is nice, but they're very kind. Like you can always sell when someone's from LA and they moved to New York or not from New York and they move, they're out in the morning. I think christ To Stephano, amazing comedian, talks about this, where people go like you're in the coffee shop, and I used to go in if I have to wait more than five seconds. There is Oslo, this coffee shop across the road from my apartment on West tenth Street. I'd walk in there and they would start making it for me while I was in the line, and I'd grab out and go thanks guys, and I would walk out of there. And then Christi Stefano makes a joke that everyone's like, if you got someone who's like, hy, good morning, You're like, don't talk. We're not talking here, give you the coffee. Go back it, Like I just I came out here to get cofee. I'm not having a great conversation. Whereas you know, New Yorkers can be very harsh.
Speaker 2: Rule them too.
Speaker 3: Don't even get in the way of New Yorker while they're walking. You have people go like, hey, can I talk to you for a second, like get the out of my way. But New Yorkers are very kind in the way that like if you're running towards an elevator, they'll hold the door open because they know we're all in the same boat together or the subway, you know, and we're all in the same boat and we all need.
Speaker 2: To help each other. Out.
Speaker 3: I feel like everyone really cares deep down, everyone really cares for everybody in New York.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what I like the most about it. I'm there.
Speaker 1: Obviously, if you're a golfer, you want to win a major, and I think a lot of people the Masters would be the holy grail of that. As a band is headlining Glastonbury the top of the mountain, Yes, but without a doubt, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: I wrote an article a couple of years ago for publication for Monster Children. It was called, Wasn't the greatest festival in the mouth, It wasn't the greatest show on Earth. It's the greatest place on earth. It's my favorite place. I've never felt anything like I have when I've played Glastonbury being at Glastonbury. I go every year, whether I'm playing or not. It's just there's like myths about it because the festival is never moved. It sits in between these two lay lines, these religious lay lines, and it's just something about it's still non for profit, like the Eves family have been running that for fifty years now, fifty one years now. And yeah, Glastonbury is for me anyway. I mean, I could take or leave a Grammy. But playing Glastonbury is Headlining Glastonbury is probably the greatest, one of the greatest things I've ever done in my life, if not the greatest.
Speaker 1: You know, I told you yesterday I watched the YouTube of when you all played Glastonbury Let it Happen the first I mean, it is so.
Speaker 2: Good, Like it's so good, it's fun.
Speaker 3: It's fun. I mean like that's like the feeling you get. And I remember Kevin, one of my best friends, the mother of my godson, Gillian.
Speaker 2: She's she's been going since she was thirteen.
Speaker 3: She's from England, and she said Kevin was there and she and we were like, we're going to headline Glassy and Kevin, I think he did something like I don't even really know what to say. And Gillian, who was backstage with us is one of my best friends, turned to Kevin and says, just say Glastonbury at the top of your lungs, and sure enough he gets out there. It was like midway through I would have been let it happen or whatever we'd opened with them.
Speaker 2: We've played a bunch of times. I can't remeber which time it was that Kevin just goes glasson bray and the crowd just goes and then it works.
Speaker 1: So when I watched, he's like, wow, look at this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was like, oh yeah, it's I mean, it's like it's a magical feeling. Like I was just talking about it with Christian Crosby. They're one of the hosts for Live and just that feeling you get when you're when you're on the grounds that you get we get, really I get excited a week out from Glastonbury and the crowd when they paying respect to one of your favorite songs. You'll see like five or six at night, five or six flares will go up in the crowd, and it's just this kind of everyone's there. No one's there for Instagram, no one's there for you know, there's none of that. Everyone you bring your wellies and you bring your barber coat and you you know, just and you're out there with your friends and it's still I don't know, it's I could go on for hours. If you've got to stop me talking about Glastonbury, I'll just keep going.
Speaker 1: For those of us that are not rock stars, like and not in a band, what is it like when you play a song and the crowd. Really that's to me, that to me would probably have to be the it could.
Speaker 2: It's got to be the coolest feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's like when you play in Latin America, it's like they sing the lyrics back to you as loud as you're playing it, like when you're in Buenos Aires or Brazil or Mexico, like Mexico City. We played a massive show in Mexico a couple of years ago, and it's yeah, I mean it's like it's you don't really sort of think about it until it happens, but yeah, it's stuff that you it's memories that you take.
Speaker 1: You make eye contact with people in your crowd while you're playing. Are you watching?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially like I'm like where I sit. I sort of sit in the background next to Julian and I have a I have a really great vantage point actually, so I can I can kind of see the people in the front row and I don't know, it sounds a bit cheesy, but you know, you make eye contact with someone and like you can kind of thumbs them up or you know, if you have that just must make them So yeah, the joy is like that's I think that's why you do it. It's like it's cheesy as it sounds. It's like it's you perform because you it's it's got it ends up having at that level when they're singing back to you, It's got nothing to do with you. It's got to do with making them happy, you know. Performing Making their day is kind of that's what you kind of feed off. And it sounds for me anyway, like it's like it sounds so stupid, but it's like it becomes very I feel like it becomes very selfless.
Speaker 2: At that point.
Speaker 3: You're kind of like, what do I do to make sure that you guys are having the best time. It's not like clap for me, but it's like I want you to have a great time. I mean the byproduct is, yeah, you have one hundred thousand people singing along to one of your songs, But you know, it's more like I feel like in those moments, I get so excited to make them feel great.
Speaker 1: You know. Last music question, because I could literally do a four hour podcast about team and polin music. What's your favorite song to play live?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Let it happened? Yeah, Yeah, it's definitely that. How did that song come about that or Elephant. I mean, they're both fun to play, but I remember Kevin working on it. I had moved to the States, I think I think I'd moved to the States. Yeah, And we hadn't put out Currents yet. Pretty soon after I joined the band in probably in twenty thirteen or something like that. And I remember were driving to this music store to go pick up something for the studio, and he goes, what do you think of this? And he showed me like, let it the like the bones or like probably it was probably half cooked version of and I just and if you think about that song, it's so obvious.
Speaker 2: When you hear it.
Speaker 3: Now, when you hear that song about all the different stages and chapters. So you were listening in the car, Yeah, yeah, it's the best. It's you always do the car test.
Speaker 1: But once the movie, once they make the record, you know, they go into the studio and everything, and they he's like, all right, we got to do the car test always, and then you go in.
Speaker 3: You have to have to do the car test. There's there's rules to the two things. On a team to set the last thing and saying about music. I remember him showing it to me, and I was like and it was just so unique and so and it was really when I went like whoa, and he'd already done. If you think about it, Elephant feels like we only go backwards and da da da da da. But the first time I ever heard that, I was like, Wow, this is like so different. And I was like in the back of my mind. And I've said this to his face a couple of times, probably upset him as well, like a couple I was like, is this gonna work?
Speaker 2: But that's that's what takes. That's what great artists are.
Speaker 3: They're brave and they go on fearlessly into the thing that makes them feel great. They make it for themselves. I've never had that much as much artistry as someone like a Kevin Parker, but it's like it takes extreme, extreme bravery to do that. Think about like the success of a song like Elephant and the difference between that and let It Happen. They're two completely different speeds songs. If you think about it, one is like cocaine Sabbath and the other one is like this sort of odyssey that ends up sounding like a dance song, you know, And so you've got to that's that's the genius. That's why he's amazing, because he's sort of like he would never admit it. I've said that to him, like you're incredibly patient and incredibly brave at what he does. So I remember hearing that and just going like, wow, I don't know if it's going to work, but I trust you, so yeah, I think it's great.
Speaker 1: And then back to the core test. What is the core test for a musician?
Speaker 3: You get to experience what everyone else gets. You can drive them down wherever you are, it's at the highway or the avenue or whatever, and you're blasting it.
Speaker 2: You're like, does this feel good? This feels good?
Speaker 3: Right, put the windows down, let's go just see how this sounds, see how it feels in the car.
Speaker 2: I think it's that.
Speaker 3: And I always say when people are naming bands, before you decide on it, you've got to ask yourself two things, and you go, ah, hello, we are x whatever whatever it is, and are you going to see whatever? And if it passed those two things, and you can call your van manet.
Speaker 2: That's what I think.
Speaker 1: Back to golf, you're in the golf space now, and talk to me about what you're trying to do and what you want to try and do in golf.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just think golf has created such a like I said, a stabilizing thing in my life unintentionally, Like I didn't. I didn't think I'd end up back in the golf space. If you told me six years ago that I'd be back playing golf, if you told me that I'd be sitting and doing a podcast with Claude Harmon, you know, six years ago, I would have said bullshit.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So you know, I think golf what i've the fade, the company that I've just sort of founded over the last year. I want people to be able to look in on golf and see it asuse of create these little like quote unquote on ramps by creating two golf and the right kind of on ramp I think, and the right sort of vend diagram. I think about lifestyle, I think about culture, and I think about performance in your life.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot of there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I love the Bobdos sports guys, and I love the barstool guys. I think they're incredible, Like that's one style of golf and the way they talk about golf, a lot of punditry, a lot of instruction, a lot of gear reviews and things like that. And then on the other end of there's a lot of biohacking when you have two men's other men's interests. Whereas I just think, if I can help everyone get not in a preachy way, but it's twenty percent better at everything that they do. Like if I talk to you about you know, we were talking about cycling, ass say, one of my best friends is an amazing cyclist. If I can ask a cyclist what they get out of golf and why they love golf and the allegories, because I think there's so many allegories between life and golf that nobody thinks about. That's when I started writing about. Like if I think about just the last three or four articles that I wrote about golf, which turned into podcasts where like, you know, a game of millimeters, think about there's a hole in the ground five hundred and fifty yards away and you've only got five shots to get it in there. Like that sounds ridiculous, but you know, and like a one millimeter part a tap in because you've lipped something out, is the same number of points as the three hundred and twenty yard drive that you just busted down the fairway. I was just saying to Christian, like, you can tell me, I think the other thing. I'm rambling a little bit, but I'll land the plane in a second. Think about this like golf a round of golf. For me, it's this journey that's for you. The only thing that anybody else cares about is the number you go on this saga. You were behind the tree, you were in the trap, you were in the fairway, doing all this stuff, and you I can tell you all these, like you know, fishing stories about golf. At the end of the day, you're going to look at me like a would you shoot? So there's a finite thing to golf like I love storytelling, don't get me wrong, but I think I love the finite number of golf of self betterment. And it's like the only game in the world where we actively make it harder for ourselves as we get better. I'm going to go further back if you and me go play golf tomorrow and someone turns to us and goes the greens are so firm, so fast, because is playing so tough and they grew the rough up.
Speaker 2: You and me get excited by that.
Speaker 3: We get excited by how hard it's going to be and the challenge, and it's it's the only game of the where where we like, we welcome the adversity. So I think there's so much allegory to life, and so every now and again, like that's why I started Words for the Weekend was the first thing I did. These weekly articles I was writing on the Fade just became Yeah, I just started seeing all these big crossovers between golf and life, and I think I'd love to share that with a demographic of people that love golf, and it just gets typecast this thing it's for old, fat, white guys, And I think it's the game is changing and evolving. Look where we are, like we're sitting at a live golf event. You know, it's one of the most disruptive things that's ever happened to golf. But you know where it comes out is we will never know. Nobody knows at this point, but I don't know. That's That's what I'm trying to do with the Fade, trying to create some culture around the game and the right type of culture and I.
Speaker 1: Think right now we're at a really interesting time kind of retro golf fashion, the stuff that Steve Marlbarne's doing. Our friend John, he's big, he's doing retro kind of stuff for foot Joy. And I think there are these.
Speaker 2: Yes by John Mimi all Week.
Speaker 1: There are these people that are kind of they love golf, but they're kind of in like a cool hip world. I mean the fact that everybody's freaking out about Jason Day what he's dressed like, I'm like, that's the way my dad dressed when he played the PGA Tour, right, that's all the clothes that he wore.
Speaker 3: Favorite golf courses, My favorite golf courses, Fish's Island, this is probably at the top of my list. Friend of mine, Mateo Birrs, remember out there and he I met him at the Bill Murray Caddyshack Tournament about five years ago when I got back.
Speaker 1: Into Grandfather might have the course record at Fisher's Island.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I think he's got one of these.
Speaker 1: I mean Seminal obviously he's got the course record.
Speaker 2: They're sixty.
Speaker 1: He's got sixty one on both courses at Wingfoot, But I think Fisher's Island he might have sixty or sixty one at that. I don't know why that rings a bell in my head.
Speaker 3: Wingfoot's on my list. I've never played wing Foot. I'd say it's fishes. Love National Golf Links of America. That's just a dream and like just and the challenge, that's what I need. I feel like who designed that course? I'm I don't know someone's gonna like tweet at me saying how stupid, how stupid I am for not known, but I love National Golf Links.
Speaker 1: Have you done any of the Core Crunchhaw, Friar's Head, sand Hills, any of that stuff?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I mean, like, like I said, I only got back into golf about five years ago, and I've only just started playing that tier of sort of golf courses in the last like two or three.
Speaker 1: You played the Midam last year, Yeah, Yeah, I played it.
Speaker 3: I played at elmcrest and the qualifier and missed by a shot bergie the last three hundred and twenty yard part four I should have hit a part four iron down there or maybe it's three fifty and then got it on the green and I missed by a shot. I think qualifying you figured just smoke driver and yeah, and pulled it onto the range and made burgie and yeah.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: So I've started playing competitively again. I mean golf for me, that's what I mean. It keeps me really self accountable, keeps my mind in the right place. If I want to play great golf, I have to really really I like I said, it's like planning. I have to plan things. I have to check my ego at the door. I play so much a ballet country club. The part five there is at fourteen just absolutely torments me because it's it's a fading hole. I hit a draw, you know, I fly my driver what three ten maybe three fifteen, So I can't really like, I can't hit driver up the right hand side because everything is going to run down into the water. If I hit a draw, it's going to run into that water. So I'd have to hit a cut, which I'd struggle with. If I hit it straight, it's going to go in the water. Then even if I do hit a good drive, I've still got to hit like a I've still got a two hundred and forty yard shot in and there's like about six feet in front of that green. But my ego wants to get let me get on the green. It's all running downhill, down green. What I really should do is it a three iron, a three iron, A love words and trying to make birdie.
Speaker 2: Or five at worse and then get the buck out of there. But I can't.
Speaker 3: So like, golf keeps me very humble, and I think it'll continue to do that for like forever. So like and the whole comeback thing that we're doing now.
Speaker 2: So talk about the combat.
Speaker 3: Okay, what I'm doing at here is I think with the help of people like yourself and some of the best players in the world, I can get to a level where I can compete it at least US amateur level, because when I know when I'm playing well, I know I can feel it again. I can feel that it was like playing in that USGA event last year. Was it was like holding onto an electric fence and I loved it, you know. So I love that feeling of competing again. So basically this year I'll be out with I'm aiming to be out at every live event with a live team and they you know, like this week I played I had a putting lesson with Herbert on Tuesday with Lucas Herbert from Ripeater Smith Cam Smith Team rep A GC and then I got to play with Bryson de Shamba the next day, which you think about that, I've never seen anyone with such a low spin rate control a ball that's traveling three hundred and twenty yards in the year.
Speaker 2: I was like, it looks like it's fake.
Speaker 3: Just the first thing I said to him, And you know, he loves talking numbers, and I was like, what is that spin rate on that driver?
Speaker 2: He's like, I don't know, like two thousand, and I was like, that's nuts.
Speaker 1: DJ's around the same. DJ when he plays his best, it's kind of under twenty two hundred. He's like eighteen hundred to twenty two hundred's the sweet.
Speaker 2: Such as knuckling, Well, just what they do, right, It's just.
Speaker 1: The way that you know their kind of movement. You know, DJ's got you know, really flat little the boat lefters, but then he threw impact. He's got what the move they call the cobra where he's got a lot of forward chafflin and then after that, but yeah, and where Brooks is kind of in that twenty five to twenty six range. So everybody's ballflight's different. It's been fascinating to watch Bryson kind of change his public persona. You know, he's become a fan favorite. And when he came out on tour, he was really divisive and he was kind of the odd ball, like nobody could really relate to him. He had these weird clubs, he had all this stuff. What do you like about it?
Speaker 3: What do I like about Bryson? His attention to detail, his anything. Man, I've spent my life around you know. The mixing engineer who helped Kevin mix the first two albums said, the changes that you were making, Dave Fridman said this. He said, Kevin, the changes you are making is like changing taking a piece of lint off the back of the sun.
Speaker 2: That's what he said.
Speaker 3: And I think Bryson does that, and I think it's because his attention to detail has got to do with him. He needs to make those checks and balances in order for him to be mentally in the right place to play the game. And that's your thing, man, that's swing. I wrote a thing called swing your swing. You've got to be able to do what you need to do to win, like whatever your tick is, and like him being that obsessive, compulsive about you know, soaking his golf balls and have some salts, and his attention to detail is is phenomenal. I wish I could have that much intention. I'm more of like a feel kind of guy. I'm a bit robotic with my golf swing. Herbie was trying to get me to use even more feel with my putting. He's like, you're very artistic and everything else you do in your life except.
Speaker 1: For you're trying to paint by numbers when you put Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: He was trying to get me to He's like, embrace that sort of artistic side where.
Speaker 2: He's stopped trying to be so rigid.
Speaker 3: You know, that's the reason why you're probably missing putts, because you're thinking about what's going on at your feet instead of what's going on up at the holt. He was trying to get me to work on capture speed. It's like, do you want it to hit the back of the cup or do you want it to fall in the front, things like that, because it changes your entire.
Speaker 1: Part capture speed. I've never heard anyone say that about that concept of speed control. We call it speed control. Yeah, distance control but capture speed is a really really interesting kind of way to talk about putting. Yeah, because the hall is capturing the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd never heard it before, and I was like, hmm, capture speed. So I was working with Herbie. I was working with him on capture speed earlier this week. But I mean, bryceon you can just see that. I mean, he's he's so athletic. The exploit where I was talking to him about the other sports he said, I played volleyball when I was young. I was like, that's going to help you with your fast witch stuff I was talking with about. Nearly every sport he did was like an explosion.
Speaker 2: He was a long jumper, That's right.
Speaker 3: He was a long two explosion, which makes you and that's what I have, Like I'm not a very good long distance runner. I have a lot of fast switch Like I boxed really good baseball player, and then golf came really naturally to me because I could just swing the golf club really fast and it was trying to slow everything down.
Speaker 2: So Bryson, the most impressive thing is his like utter attention to detail.
Speaker 3: And I always say, the best people at any job, whether it's music or golf or motor sport or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Is your attention to intention how focused.
Speaker 3: You are and how intentionally you are being, the better you're going to be at anything that you do.
Speaker 1: Lastly, where can people find all the stuff you do? Obviously, Team and Paula, how many records? How many albums?
Speaker 3: I should know this? We've had four. I think the fifth one is the fifth one. Katy is probably working on a fifth one right now, would imagine.
Speaker 1: And you do your own music as well, Spotify people to find you that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been I'm working passively on an album right now. I just had a meeting with my publisher the other day, so I'll be putting out solo stuff over the next year. I'm actually going to try and put something out in the next month.
Speaker 1: The Fade people can find that.
Speaker 2: So the Fade we're sort of going out. You can see.
Speaker 3: The Fade is on Instagram. I have a sub stack. The Fade dot com will probably up in the next couple of months. It might be lived and how when this is going to come out? But the Fade is on Instagram. And The Comeback is the show that I've been developing with Convicts, the production company from Australia, my friend Pete made and Tom Law So I'm partnering.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm doing here this week.
Speaker 3: I'm partnering with Convicts Australia to work and The Fade are getting together developed the show The Comeback.
Speaker 1: So because we're living in a great time for content, right, there's so many different avenues for people to get whatever content they want out. You can get it on YouTube and get it on Instagram, I mean all the different channels. I think there is a lot of content for people that want to see maybe something different in the golf space.
Speaker 2: Well, you're able to live. Especially.
Speaker 3: The best thing about the way that's going where content and where consumption media consumption is going is you can live in a niche within a niche, and I think that's the best thing about it. Like, I'm a bass player who also likes playing golf, So that's the first question I get asked when someone comes out here, they go, like the guy from Taman Pilot as a scratch hand, he gap, that's a bit weird, but you know that's but And my voice, my voice in golf and in the Fade, the Fades voice is very different to.
Speaker 2: Your voice.
Speaker 3: Anyone else's voice because you're talking a lot about more instruction or like I'm going to go have a talk to Jonah now and Joan is going to talk to me about sports psychology. Mine comes from this sort of cultural artistic side and how I think that can impact your golf and impact your.
Speaker 1: Life frustrated art, fashion, music. So to get the opportunity to speak with somebody like you is amazing. And when I started the podcast, this was my idea. Yeah, I want to talk to the best players in the world, the best coaches in the world, the best caddies and people in the golf space. But I'm fascinated how important and how much a part of people's lives golf is because I have to take time away from golf right because it's so all encompassing for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like mad with music.
Speaker 1: John George, keyboard player for Rufus Dasol. I've been spending some time with him. They're about to go on a two year tour. Yeah, I've hooked him up with a rap Sodo Launch monitor. He's got a net. He was trying to get a simulator and he was like, the roadies are like, dude, we're gonna have to tear this thing down. Where's it gonna say? So? I got him the rap Sodo, he's got the Bryson return net, he got a matt and he's got a little iPad. And I said, you can play golf courses. So he on tour is going.
Speaker 2: To be taken. Man, I'm what's John, i'mna be hitting you up, buddy.
Speaker 3: Let's play. Let's play. That's the best thing is the last thing I'll finished. Like one of my best friends, I've become really good friends with a guy called Dom Cursier and he, you know, found Googenheim Bank. And we were talking to each other the other day and Dom's I think he's probably in his late fifties. And Dom's like, in what world there's a guy who grew up you know, lower middle class, you know, lower glower class, if I'm being honest, in Australia from Perth, from Freemantle, Australia, and someone like yourself who's very self major Cargan, who built his way up into in what world do we see eye to I? And we want to spend hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of time together. And I love picking his brain about work, you know, but it all comes from this relationship we built around playing golf. Let's go play golf and talk about whatever we're going to talk about. And I think that's that's the best thing. You would mean, the same thing it brings. It makes the world a lot smaller when you play golf.
Speaker 1: I'll say that my wife's brother lives in Perth and he's an avid golfer. So listen, man, really great to talk to you. I'm excited to see all the cool stuff you're doing and team and Pola is in heavy, heavy rotation. Arena Alex one of the golfers I teach, she just retired from the LPGA. She saw the picture of you and I together, She's like, you're kidding me, right. They're one of my favorite bands. So I've got a lot of street credit for having you. And my daughter is insanely jealous because she's like, you're gonna meet the guy from Taman Paula.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great talking to you. I thank thank you so much. Man.
Speaker 1: So that was Cameron Avery from tam and Paula And listen, I could have talked to that guy all day. I mean, you know, we share a passion for not only golf, but music, art, fashion and stuff, and those are the people that I absolutely love talking to because golf is such an important part of everyone's life. And you know, there are people that do other things and are famous for other things. But to listen to to Cameron, I mean, he only wanted to talk about golf and all I want to do is talk about music. So really really cool and uh, I think he's doing some cool stuff. Check out the projects that he's got, check out the music that he does, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. So it was down at the Live event last week in Adelaide, over one hundred thousand people and listen, it was a great event. Dom Dalla one of the best DJs on the planet right now. He played Friday night and it was crazy. I got to give him a golf lesson, which was pretty damn cool for me. I gotta be honest with you. Fisher closed the show. The golf course is great. A lot of unbelievable bunkering down in Australia and listen to the fans came out and it's the third year we've been down there. For the people that are on the Live tour and it just gets better and better. They announced the deal that they're signing to twenty thirty one, and I think it just shows that Australia is starving to see the best players in the world, and hopefully the best players in the world can get down there more often because it is a very very cool place to go. I got to do a dinner over at Royal Adelaide across the street there's a train that goes through the middle of the golf course and again it looks cool. The golf courses down there are some of my favorites, and the bunkering I think in Australia in the sand Belt golf courses are some of the best anywhere in the world. So really really cool week. And I can't say enough about Ludwig Oberg winning at Torrey Pines and the Genesis Kids stud I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't win a major this year. I mean, that's how good the talent is. We've had Joe Scavern on the podcast before, longtime caddy for Ricky Fowler who's now caddying for Ludwig and see, I think he's got one of the best golf swings in the game. And I just think that the future is beyond bright for Ludwig and I think you're going to see him win majors. I think you're going to continue to see him win big tournaments because with that kind of golf swing, the sky is the limit. Rate review, Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. It's the Son of a Butch podcast