Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode one thirty one of Native lampod where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture. I am your host, Angela Rai, joined by my co host Andrew Gillum and Bacari Sellers. A lot is happening this week, guys. Donald Trump is just just at war.
Speaker 2: Yes, too much is right. That's to be the name of the show. Too much it's happening.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump is not just at Warren Iran. He has declared war on America. Snap cuts are hitting states and so our redistricting lines to silence our voices in Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri. But there may be some wins at least for now in Mississippi, Indiana, and South Carolina. Doctor King was worried about integrating his people into a burning house?
Speaker 2: Was he right?
Speaker 1: Getting into all of this and then some today? Welcome home, y'all, Welcome welcome home. Okay, do you guys feel like you need to say anything? Show open or can we jump on it in? They all right, let's get into for your situational awareness because we have a lot of news you can use. Gop Republican representative. I'm sorry, I just didn't even know what to call her. But after this, she's going to be a sharecropper because listen what she said. So Jim Kiggins recently joined a radio show where the host had something to say about Democratic leader Hakim Jeffries. It's given big sharecropping vibes. Let's go ahead and roll that clip.
Speaker 3: If a King Jeffries wants to be involved in Virginia politics, then I suggest he does what all a bunch of New Yorkers are doing. Leave New York, move down here to Virginia. Run for office down here. You can represent us, if not, get your cotton picking hands off of Virginia.
Speaker 4: That's right, yes, yes to that.
Speaker 1: So she claims she didn't hear him say cotton picking, but she said that's right, Yes, yes to that. That is three of her left yes, and hints that's why she's a GOP Republican because I want to double down in.
Speaker 2: Her yes, yes, yes to that.
Speaker 1: The congresswoman is in a contested race against Representative Elaine Luria. She's a former congresswoman representing that area of Virginia Congressional second Congressional District too, which holds Chesapeake and Virginia Beach areas.
Speaker 2: Kakeim is calling for her to resign.
Speaker 1: What do y'all say, should she be censured on the House floor, reprimanded? How about the making sure that punishment is equal in the House of Representatives, which y'all think.
Speaker 4: No, no, not until we get to speak of the House. Who believes that the Congress is the first branch of government.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I mean we got bigger schristal fry. I mean I think that that, look, what she said was racist. Let let spend some money in her district. Let people know, because she's up for an election in a tough district. But I'm more concerned about the individuals who are, you know, as Andrews says, making sure we don't have people who share our lived experiences in common in voting that way than what people say on a little AM radio show. So I just think we got we don't have that much time and we don't have that much energy. So let's focus that on what I think moves the needle.
Speaker 2: Okay, y'all saying keeping the main thing, the main thing.
Speaker 4: I will just say it could be used. And I think what Kart was getting here, he said, spend a little bit of money within this district to just drive up, you know, negatives and see if this thing can't be flipped.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, if you drive up her negatives half a point on this, that's a win.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think that's part of this strategy, right.
Speaker 1: It's not like resign or get censured for resign and cents your's sake. It would be to try to take that seat back because she's im moral and racist or at least aligns with them.
Speaker 2: So I think.
Speaker 1: You know, however, however, we got to make the math math against these map maps.
Speaker 2: We got to figure it out.
Speaker 5: So again hooking by hook a by crooks, Like.
Speaker 4: Well, that's they're saying for sure, my Jesus.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now here's my next question for y'all.
Speaker 1: What happened to separation of powers or minding conflicts of interest? Because I really want to understand why six conservative all six all six conservative justices from the Supreme.
Speaker 2: Court, we're living it up and living their.
Speaker 1: Best life at the White House for Trump's state dinner honoring King Charles the day before, a very consequential voting rights vote. This was the day before the Louisiana versus Cali decision dropped.
Speaker 2: What were they doing, y'all? What are they doing?
Speaker 4: This is a tough one when you at Clarence Thomas taking rackets that total more than tens of millions of dollars in value from people who have business before the court. And the Chief justices response is that we have a policy internally, but that it is a self governing, a self policing policy around ethics. Nothing surprises me when it comes to this court. I think Justice Jackson had it right that they are just partisans, their acting as partisan characters. There's no reason that we should confused the American people that their actual jurists when it comes to making decisions between democracy, the constitution versus Trump and Trump's priorities. Trump and trump priorities take precedence with this court period.
Speaker 5: You know, I think that there has been a direct correlation and I can't remember who made it, between Justice Roberts and Justice Tanny who arthured the eighteen fifty six fifty seven I should know that dred Scott decision that said that African Americans free or enslaved were not citizens after the Cali decision came down is eighteen.
Speaker 2: By the way, that was close, very close.
Speaker 5: And I think that, yeah, when you look at the Cali decision, there is it is analogous to the tenure of Chief Justice Roberts. However, this lack of ethics is a new kind of a nundrum that the Court is dealing with. He's going to be remembered both for taking away the rights of women. You know, if you a woman who was born forty years ago had more rights, reproductive rights and a woman born today taking the rights of African Americans away with the with the evisceraration of the Voting Rights Act.
Speaker 4: I mean he he's going to go in the most self contradicting court in the history of the courts. I mean courts reversed themselves, but usually generations later.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they reversed themselves in three years. They said President three years ago, don't don't apply today. And I mean they told us they get This is the same court that gave us that a corporation as a citizen, which fundamentally changed the way that politics in this country works. So, yeah, the Chief Justice Roberts. But how you like them apples.
Speaker 4: Your mudium Damn.
Speaker 1: I had a good transition to I said, I don't like the mapple that all, but if we eat one a day, it keeps the doctor away. And Andrew actually has some information that is very helpful about how we can live our best lives regardless of what the Supreme Court is doing living it up on our expense. The nerd in him found out about an epigenetic study that makes a correlation between music and extending lifespan. So Andrew, please fill us in on this necessary bio hack.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if it's cute, but I know we got a little video introduction to this. But I told you earlier I was a nerd on this one because so epidemiology for those who don't know, basically, I think the literal translation is on top of genes meaning other than your genes, which we get a lot of information and inputs to tell us that our genes are predictive of our lifespan, of habits.
Speaker 6: Of.
Speaker 4: Various diseases that through no fault of our own, we can contract. Well. Science is telling us that our life trajectory is based basically about fifty percent on our genes and the other fifty percent on our behaviors, our habits, our diets, so on and so forth. Well, just this week a new study was released. Well, actually, I'll let the Newswoman tell you.
Speaker 2: The Newswoman is nuts news.
Speaker 5: Seventy five year old man's I'm about the new.
Speaker 4: Speaking of age, here's the.
Speaker 5: C what what do you think?
Speaker 7: Okay, my sick figure may not sell for millions in some prestigious art gallery, but apparently creating art may help us age slower. A new study from University College London found people who regularly do things like read, listen to music, or visit museums may biologically age slower.
Speaker 5: Than people who don't.
Speaker 7: Researchers say the mental, emotional, and social stimulation from the arts may help keep our brains healthier as we get older.
Speaker 6: Finishing, touch, cooking, dance, music, let me know in the commons below, you.
Speaker 2: Know it was just music age. So I'm glass. She drew her little stick.
Speaker 4: Figure, and guess what I have for two days now been doing art in my garage. This is a piece, a piece I translated using birthday masks. But this is.
Speaker 2: Put about put it all the way, like, put it in front of your face. Are you wearing this mask to a.
Speaker 4: Nope, but they were from Mars masks. But the point is is that the the life extension that is expected through the science and research has been done on this is about a six percent increase in your lifespan capacity, which equates to about a year that you add to your life by doing just things like arts, culture, going to see a play, music, singing, ansing, or enjoying those things. And there is no difference in whether you are the participant or the observer. And guess what else? This was the kicker for me. It is equivalent. The six percent is equivalent to the exact same life extension you get by doing exercise over that same period.
Speaker 1: It's pretty impressive that you're gonna be able to fit your clothes, y'all take it from me.
Speaker 4: Here, no guarante here, no guarantees.
Speaker 1: But maybe it's fine if we can get lightpo suction paid for.
Speaker 2: But car, you should let us hold something.
Speaker 1: We hear you have an important lawsuit against open AI given there. Unfortunately I'm not going yet. They are unfortunately to the shooter at FSU. So this is important and I'm not saying that you were paid out yet. I know you'll let us hold some on the other side, but please talk to us because I think it's really important for people to know about the dangers of AI and the overreach without regulation.
Speaker 5: So yes, I was joined by Greg Francis and Robbie Bell from Osborne Francis in Orlando and Banished from Banister, White and Stallvey in Greenville, South Carolina. Along with my law partner, Amy will Banks. We represent Tiru Chaba, who was an employee of air Mark who was down in the student center. Air Mark, as you all may or may not know, is one of the largest food service providers in the country and they were down there visiting, attempting to get in good graces so they could maintain a contract with Florida State University. When young mister Eigner opened up shots in the student center, he killed two individuals, including my client. And one of the things we found out as we were going through this process is we actually got thirteen thousand chat logs turned over to us over a year of communications between chat GPT and mister Eigner talking about everything you can imagine, but you could steadily see someone going through a downward spiral, to say the least, and the day of he actually would ask questions like what time is the best time to go to Florida State where the most students would be on campus. They gave him a time frame he committed the murders. During that time frame. He would ask him about the types of weapons that he had and how they should be used. He asked him how many people had to be killed in order for the to garner the news. He expressed admiration for Columbine et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And so we filed this seventy six page lawsuit. I'll actually add it to the show notes so anybody who's interested or any young students who want to go to law school can read it. It's a product's liability case. It's a uphill battle because we're fighting, you know, I'm a country board from Denmark fighting billionaires in Palo Alto. But we feel like we're standing on on just ground. I was in Tallahassee this week in front of the courthouse announcing this lawsuit, and I'm excited for what's next. This isn't like two thirty cases that everybody hears about against YouTube and Facebook, because in those cases, YouTube and Facebook only source information from other folk. In this particular case, AI, it actually creates the content that it regurgitates to the user, and it does so without any safeguards. And the last thing I'll say is everybody can probably go on and find access to those thirteen thousand chats, But after you do it, it really makes you want to hug your children, because this young man was going through so much and he utilized chat GPT as his best friend. That was his group chat. That's like the only person who spoke to all day every day.
Speaker 4: Sounds like Nick Fintez. But beyond that, I remember the shooting, and naturally we just celebrated, well, rather commemorated a year since that tragic event occurred at Florida State University. My heart always races when I, of course, hear about shootings on campuses. I think about schools, I think about kk phup system, I think about it all, and I'm sorry for the passing of your client's child. I say this if for folks who may not completely I think understand, well, why chat GPT. If the individual is asking the question, then they're just answering them. If those questions were posed to an adult over the continuum of a year's worth of time. There would be a composite picture pretty much gained by that set of exchanges that would have sent up some red flag laws, would have sent up some Baker Act potentially that would have caused some level of intervention that could have potentially staved off this event. The shooter's mother was actually a local Shares deputy here in sibley On County.
Speaker 5: One of the Weapons Service weapons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I deeply regret I think the way the community treated.
Speaker 3: Her.
Speaker 4: The sins of the mother are not the child, and the sins of the child are not the parent. But I will say I am I've been terrified of AI, and only after listening to this interview this week about this new book that just came out this week, I'm Not a Robot that chronicles the life of a journalist who spends an entire year using AI for just about everything, cooking, scheduling, getting a massage from a robot, and comparing these experiences between the human experience and that of the robot massuits. And she came out saying, I was surprised, terribly surprised that the robotic experience was comparable, if not better than the human experience, and what I think I feel about that is we one are replacing ourselves, but two, why isn't there any regulation on this stuff? And why can't people in government move to protect our jobs? Our interests are cuture? What are the ethics around this? I don't leave it up to Elon Musk and his ethics to define the parameters of what it should and shouldn't be used for. I think it requires government intervention and maccari. I hope through this lawsuit, not only are you going to find justice on the other side of the family, but that it will awaken some consciousness and lawmakers around how to regulate this.
Speaker 2: Stuff that we absolutely need it.
Speaker 1: We also need somebody to regulate Donald Trump's mouth, because what is it with him and black women reporters? So he called Rachel Scott of ABC a bitch because she had the audacity to ask him a question he did not like.
Speaker 2: Let's roll the clip.
Speaker 4: You're just right, thank you, thank you, press, thank you. You see the DHS secretary next to him.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, of course that's raise MB And then he called a Kayla Gardner a very dumb person for asking about a ballroom that was supposed to be paid for by private donations, and then the four hundred million dollar bill got passed the taxpayers. Then now they're saying is a billion dollars based on a Secret Service briefing with Republican senators just on Tuesday, they're saying it's two hundred and twenty million to hearten the White House complex, one hundred and eighty million for a visitor screening facility, one hundred and seventy five million for training, and another one hundred and seventy five million to enhance security for Secret Service protectees. According to a memo that was provided to NBC News, let's please roll the clip where he has the audacity to talk to the system this way for asking questions.
Speaker 2: We all have.
Speaker 8: Ballroom.
Speaker 9: So what happened is we have a ballroom that's under budget.
Speaker 4: It's going up right here. I've doubled the.
Speaker 9: Size of it because we obviously need that and we're right now on budget, under budget and ahead of schedule. Yeah, I double the size of it. You dumbed for if you are you are not a smart right over here? What about right over here? And based on a lot of things that have happened over the last year, we uh, we double the size.
Speaker 4: Of the ballroom.
Speaker 9: So we're gonna have a ballroom that's appropriate for the White House. We double the size. The ballroom now is ahead of schedule and it's a little bit under budget depending on the finishes.
Speaker 1: And so here you hear him in the mind question. Wait, let me just say this one thing real quick me just so we like clarify this. Here you hear him say, you dumb person, You're not a very smart person, very clearly right into the mic. On the past clip, you see him mouth bitch, but you don't audibly hear it. But there are a lot of reporters that heard him say that about and to Rachel Scott this one, you hear it directly of the mic.
Speaker 2: Be your question, Yeah, this is for.
Speaker 5: Y'all too, Like, how should black reporters, particularly black female reporters, respond to this level of disrespect while maintaining whatever societal decorum standards we have in place for the way journalists or professionals are supposed to act.
Speaker 4: Answer.
Speaker 2: I guess, since I'm the resident black woman, I will go.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if you should ask me, because I'm not going to be the one, like the.
Speaker 5: Only one here. There are some people out.
Speaker 1: So I'll tell you how I would respond if he said to do what Donald.
Speaker 2: Trump did and let me respond no, ma'am, yes, please, somebody not me.
Speaker 5: I'm not doing let me.
Speaker 2: I can't reenact.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to say hen Kong a black woman dumb. So somebody can edited. And then on the side tomorrow, Ellen kick me out.
Speaker 1: Derek, do me a favor. Run the part of this No, I just want to show you how I respond.
Speaker 2: Derek.
Speaker 1: Run a part of the clip where he says dumb person, and cut it off right there so I can respond, like he's talking to me.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump, why they have this ballroom? Cost as much?
Speaker 9: Go I double the size of it, You dumb person?
Speaker 2: Who the are you talking to?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: I don't know, ain't no mister president here. I don't know who you're talking to. There's nobody dumb standing here. I know you love to call black people low iq. I know you love to challenge our intellect, but the only dummy standing here is you, because you're the one that can't do the math to figure out that number one.
Speaker 2: We don't need this ballroom. Number two.
Speaker 1: You've broken all kinds of laws soliciting donations for said ballroom, and now you're trying to pass this off to taxpayers. I'm trying to figure out who you're talking to, who you think you're fooling, because we all see you.
Speaker 5: In secret service.
Speaker 4: To the gates of the White House.
Speaker 5: And she's fired from ABC. She won't even make it.
Speaker 1: She wanted it, that was that was okay, So she actually works for MSN.
Speaker 5: Now confused, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going for that.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't care who you are, you don't get to disrespect me.
Speaker 2: And I do think that there is an.
Speaker 1: Obligation for us to carry in the strength and the respect of other black people, other black women into those spaces. I don't think that we should like I don't think that it's our obligation to just be like okay and just keep asking the question. No, there's a line that you've crossed, and you have violated my self respect and I'm not going to allow that to happen.
Speaker 4: I'm just not I feel I think what one with these journalists are trained to do is not make themselves a story. So they're going to go out of their way on all counts not to become what the thing is that people are talking about. They want. She is well, of course, but but imagine had she, you know, said I'm not a bitch and then kept going there was you know, she then becomes she replaces the story she wants to cover. The story she wants to cover is how the everything you touch Donald Trump basically is cheaper before your hands get to it, and then you touch it, you break it, and it costs the American people more money. There's a trend here, right. Let's look at the straight of her moves, which was open before he declared war. He had had a success at getting anything else done in this war other than costing the American people billions of dollars. And we still ain't gotten no strait of her moves open.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So the White House he destroys it. He wants to build a ballroom. It starts a two hundred million, then it goes to four hundred and fifty million, and now we're over a billion dollars. Everything he touches cost everybody more money. That's I mean, that's that's not what she was going to say, but that's what the viewer is to interpret from these rising costs that are so constant with him. What I would like to see, though, is the journalist together rebuke the behavior of the president. He calls white women names, he calls anybody he doesn't like from anywhere in the world a name or an insult. If he doesn't like what's coming out of their miles. They together say no, I agree with you. Yeah, but I just want to say, why can't they together, as generalists, say, put a lot of demarcation. We will not cover this White House and till such and such, we will not at least attend your press conferences to carry your message until such and such. And they're not doing that well.
Speaker 1: And I think that that is part of the challenge when you when if they all stand together, let's walk this out. And this actually leads great into our viewer question into our next topic. When you protest in that way, when you are the people of consciousness in that way with this administration, what ends up happening is they just find your replacement. It's not a replacement that's credible. But look at what the press room at the Department of Defenses. I refuse to how that shit wore Department of Defense looks like now right like there is something about having.
Speaker 2: To still be present.
Speaker 1: I think that we are reaching the point or we have long reached the point where we have to draw the line in the sand with this man as a human being first, because he regularly violates human decency.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, get it, get it.
Speaker 4: And I think my recommendation is not not to protest the press conferences itself, but not to carry their messages. So these things begin with them rolling out their lives and you know, fantasies that they want you to then carry on your evening news rather than the types of questions that should be being posed to these folks. But you know, I just don't have expectations for the man. But I don't think we should allow it to be gotten away with either.
Speaker 5: My only point is I think her bosses should. I think her bosses should show some level of respect for her and come out and say something as well. I mean, that's just for me, I agree with you, for both of them. Yeah, but I yeah, I agree. I mean, I just think that this some higher ups you should come out and at least issue a statement that that type of disrespect would not be shown to employees of ABC or a mess.
Speaker 1: Now, now I'll say this be if I had any confidence at all that the news organizations would do that.
Speaker 2: That would not be my response. I would say something.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, yeah, I would be like, I'm not sure who you're talking to, but I do have a question, right. But if I knew that my organization would do that, if I knew, they would not have my back, which traditionally, we're seeing that the FCC issue with the view is different. We're seeing ABC kind of show up a little differently, but in the meantime, we know we're going to have to show up for ourselves. We have a viewer question along these lines, and this comes from Latrina.
Speaker 2: Let's hear a question from Arkansas.
Speaker 8: Hey, lady Pa, my name is Latrina from Little Rock, Arkansas.
Speaker 4: I got a question for you all.
Speaker 5: I am really completed.
Speaker 8: My question is they're redistricting everybody returning, taking away Democratic districts, putting us in Republican districts. What happens then? What happens if we don't vote? Who are we supposed to vote for? If we're refusing to vote for anybody with an art beside their names and we're left with no representation. What happens if we don't vote or who are we supposed to vote for? Now that is my question. Can y'all please put that can speak on that we are I'm out here compised. I have never missed an election.
Speaker 4: I'm forty eight years old.
Speaker 8: I voted in every election since I was eighteen. Please help signed a confirm voter.
Speaker 2: I love it when I tell you.
Speaker 1: I don't know why that made me emotional, but it really did. Thank you first of all for calling in. I do feel like our people are at this remarkable crossroads. And when we started the show today, of course we talked about some of the small victories in South Carolina. Of course they took a vote on Tuesday and decided and actually some of the Republicans sided with Democrats and didn't move forward in the Senate with redrawing the maps.
Speaker 5: But I mean, one of the things that you saw in South Carolina was that it was twofold one the Cinate Majority leader, Shane Massey, who we are diametrically on a pose on issues like tort reform, for example, but he is and Andrew probably knows this from having to work closely with the legislature as a mayor. He is the most shrewd adversary that you could have on the other side. He sees things for what they are. He is a traditional conservative Republican who believes in those conservative values. And so I don't question whether or not he wants South Carolina to be better. We just have different ways of getting there. Right. It's that old type of way of having political discourse and dialogue. And what he said is, he said, by going seven zero, the first thing you need to realize is when there's a Democrat in the White House or Democratic majority, we ain't gonna have nobody to pick up the phone, he said. And we need resources in South Carolina. So from a governance perspective, it makes the most sense. The second thing is we don't do mike districting reapportionment. That's just not what we do. We're not gonna sit here. It's a slippery slope. And what he recognized, he said, now we have is red now. But twenty six years ago, thirty six years ago, South Carolina was a blue state. North Carolina blue states, a lot of these states South, the whole South. People forget that. We just became the South became red in the early nineties. Right. And the last thing he said was he said, man, he got that southern in his blood. He said he's not gonna sit here. And this harkens back to the old time and what we fought a whole world over. But he said he's not gonna let the federal government come down him and bully him and tell him what to do. He does not if it's Donald Trump or whomever else. He is a Donald Trump. He supports the president of the United States. He supports a Republican president. But he was able to articulate ways. And they got seven eight Republicans along with the Democrats. And you know, I spoke to the Democratic leader and I said one thing. I said, look after Virginia, let's not play any games and game this out and say we may have access to two or three, let's take the one we know because every vote, every seat counts in November.
Speaker 1: Can I just say this, I think it's important to note the Republicans didn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a winning vote on redistricting.
Speaker 1: What they needed were two thirds of a majority to approve this to be able to proceed towards this redistricting resolution. So in a twenty nine to seventeen vote, there were five Republicans who joined with the twelve Democrats to vote to vote no, and that meant that the two thirds majority wasn't not successful. I think, Andrew, I'm gonna come to you, and then I want to go to Okay, and then for Tennessee. What I want to talk about here is you all know last week Tennessee voted to remove the only black congressional district in the state. There were protests by several members and we saw Justin Jones burning Confederate flag. We saw Justin Pearson face to face with I think it's the Sergeant at Arms or whoever their equivalent is in the House not allowing him access to the floor for that vote yesterday. Unlets please put this up, Derek. We had a letter that the Speaker of the House sent to and of course I can't read this, but I have it on my phone to send.
Speaker 2: To leaders Karen Camper.
Speaker 1: But anyway, the point is that in this letter thank you, they say that due to the actions of some of the Democratic Caucus members by the way that they're taking them off of all of their committees, all of their committees, they they sight of a blatant or a blanket.
Speaker 2: Rule from the Permanent Rules of Order of the House.
Speaker 1: I went through all thirty two pages and don't see where this cites anything. But what I want to really get into, y'all, is this moving goalpost.
Speaker 2: We go to Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Mississippi's Governor Tate Reeves said the Thursday last Thursday that he was ordering a or no the Thursday before last, a special session to redraw the congressional maps in Mississippi. On Wednesday morning, Tate Reeves says he's canceling that special session to comply with an order from uh the Court, a federal appeals court, saying that they they they vacated, they vacated an order requiring them to redraw those maps. So now Tate Reeves is in a Twitter battle with Congressman Bennie Thompson, saying it's not a matter of if, but when.
Speaker 2: So, even these victories are short lived.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court of Missouri said that they were going to uphold these maps that will take Congressman Cleaver, Emmanuel Clever, my former boss out of his old district. Congressman Andre Carson, he said he's safe for now in Indiana. What I want us to understand, y'all, because Tennessee is revisiting something they did in twenty twenty three AG we were talking about this. The Justins were expelled from the House for protesting around mass shootings. So it's not like they haven't done this before. It's not like they haven't tested the waters. Texas, of course, was a case study. And so I'm trying to what I really want to know. This was a really long setup. But what I really want to know is in this redistricting battle, are we on the right side of history to keep forging ahead, to keep pushing this. Latrina asked us if it was smart for her to vote at all because she feels so unrepresented by the people they're offering her. I know, we have videos from Congressman Clyburn and race to places, but we'll get to that, but I want to just start there with y'all.
Speaker 4: You know, just we'll quok on the question and I appreciate the question, and she evotes something in me as well. I mean, it really is the most purest way you can look at this process, right, democratic, small D democratic. I have been voting since I was eighteen. I haven't missed an election. What am I supposed to do now when the ballot has no options for me to choose to select no one who I could put in who's going to be my representative voice. I just want to remind her and anyone else who may be confronting this as part challenge, is that one there should always be a choice, and there usually is. I know, And in my part of the state, we got a lot of Republicans at nearly every other level of government than the municipal because we happen to be a blue sort of democratic Bastian. But my congress member is a right winger. I still go and I vote every every time. I don't vote for him, but I vote every time. You you still have the ability to hopefully choose a candidate who you like and are willing to support. The question is is whether or not the odds of the new district as it is designed, is such that even when all of us vote our full might for the candidate of our choice, will it be enough to overcome the Shenanigans of the Republicans and their gerrymanderin efforts. And I can't, and I don't think you can yet, and I don't I know. I cannot say how close or how far apart those numbers will ultimately end up being. When I say numbers, it's how many Democrats in the district, how many Republicans in the district, how many independence and non party affilies are in the district. Because the truth is is that right now Democrats running for congress congressional seats are closing an eighteen point twenty point gap on average between how many points how many votes the last Democrat got compared to the last Republican. And so if you're in the district that's now twelve percent more Republican, down from thirty percent. We still have a fighting chance, but we won't know that until we see the maps. I just that's a technical kind of answer, but that's the best I could offer on what do you do when you when you have a ballot that doesn't seem representative of your of your choices.
Speaker 1: Well to that point, let me, I'm just gonna I want to I want to raise this clip and then can you answer on the other side. Since Andrew brought up maps, Royce Duplessis is sitting in on the Government Affairs Committee now that Troy Carter's nephew, Gary Carter was removed or voluntarily stepped aside under the threat of removal.
Speaker 2: They were in session till four in the morning.
Speaker 1: Royce says, everybody fighting for this, you know, four to two map, the Republicans pushing and Donald Trump pushing for a six to zero map.
Speaker 2: The two Democratic.
Speaker 1: Seats in Louisiana occupied by black men, Troy Carter and Cleo Fields. They have gone back to the map that existed before Cleo won his seat. So I want to play this clip from Royce and Bakari. Please weigh in on the other side and say what you were going to say as well.
Speaker 10: Hey, so we just wrapped up. It's about four forty five in the morning. Committee just wrapped up. We started around seven o'clock and we just wrapped up. And what advanced out of the committe was a five to one map. So currently Louisiana has a four to two map. We have four Republican seats, two Democratic seats. What was advanced out of committee was a five to one map that's going to have five Republicans and one Democrat. That bill's going to move to the floor. But this this harmful bill that reduces democratic representation, Black representation. It just reduced, it just hurts representation across the board. Advanced on a four to three party line vote after hours hours of testimony against reducing this representation and against diluting the vote of people in this state. Hundreds of people showed up. Literally just one person was in support of this bill to move out of a committee. Just shameful stuff, totally anti democratic, totally disrespectful, really bad stuff. I'm gonna give y'all more of an update at some other time when the sun is up, because I need to go back inside and do something, but get some rest.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 4: We got committee A nine thirty tomorrow.
Speaker 10: So really disappointed right now, really disappointed, But we're gonna keep pushing and look, let's stay in the fight.
Speaker 5: Man. I don't want Royce to be disappointed.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: I don't walked out of I don't walked out of the State House some nights after budgets passed. I remember one budget we took away HIV and AIDS fund adapt funding, and we had we had the most people in the country on the age drugs waiting list. And so a lot of times your state legislators, your city council people, when they're fighting a good fight, they feel like emotionally intellectually drained because you go out in spaces and you, you try to. You you serve, not just because it's a higher calling, but you have what may be the definition of insanity because you genuinely believe that what is right will prevail, and you go to work every single day echoing that if I continue to beat the drum of righteousness and justice, it will prevail. And so they always say, when you do the same thing repeatedly, over and over again with the same results, that's the definition of insanity. And so I do think it takes a level of insanity. But Royce and the people who came out and Troy Carter, and I saw the four Cleophils. I saw the four members who black members who have served, and Cedric Richmond and Elena and all of those people who did that work. They actually did preserve a black district in Louisiana. The goal was to eradicate it all.
Speaker 4: But Cali gave them the right to.
Speaker 5: In Cali, yes, gave them the right to. And I want Royce to know that his work was not in vain. And you know, we were on the opposite side of a mayorial campaign. So I hope he hears this, that it actually shows that God puts us sometimes in places where we can do the work of justice for this moment, and it appears that he is the right person, in the right place, in the right time for this moment. So that's first. I wanted to kind of talk about the why right. A lot of people, and I think the young lady who asked the question, a lot of people don't understand because they don't understand the why of what's happening. And I think when you just simply examine it, your gut is right. This redistricting is not done for any type of fairness. In democratic principles, everybody understands that when you draw lines, you're supposed to draw lines so that they're fair, so that you have districts of similar characteristics or cities of similar characteristics that share similar needs have somebody to go and represent them. This is sheer partisan power graph, and so that notion is offensive to most and they believe that that notion that they believe to be true just can't be right. It has to be something else. But in this particular case, that is it naked. No, it's naked political ambition. And if you turn the page of it. This is why I say that watching Republicans during this time is fascinating because you realize their politics are so basore because of the fact that when you have a Democratic White House or a Democratic House, and you have a six h seven zero map in the South, where you have CBDG grants, where you have poverty that is running from the top border to the southern border, when you have issues that need resources, you're going to be calling Washington, DC, and ain't nobody going to pick up the phone. Yeah, so your power graph today twenty twenty six is going to be more devastating to your constituents even in twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight, than you ever could imagine. Now, the last thing that I'll say is that Andrew's right being a candidate in this environment, it would suck because if you win, you have caught the proverbial submarine right, because every single day you are in a swing district, you're going to be spending more time in New York City raising money from them same billionaires that you ran against. Spending time away from your family every single day is going to be a campaign for you. So you're going to have to dedicate yourself to something totally different. And those of us who are asking Andrew or Macari sellers, are you going to run for Congress? That is literally a consideration of running in a swing district, like do you want to govern policy or do you want to spend every single day campaigning? And you got to you literally have to. However, if you answer that question, yes, we get back to the point where you do have a chance. And a lot of these than districts because although they took away the forty five fifty to fifty five percent African American, they did boost the BVAP and when then whatever we say BVAP ladies and gentlemen, that's the black voting age population for some of these districts from twelve to twenty five, twenty five to maybe thirty. And so you'll have a chance, a punch's chance doing an environment like this, and so all of those things I think matter. And I probably said a whole lot. I hope, I hope a little bit of it made sense to somebody that it's good. Nobody knows.
Speaker 1: I want us to pull back a little bit. Latrina, I don't know, Andrew, I don't know. You know me, and you get.
Speaker 2: Emotional, actually, but car gets emotional too.
Speaker 1: But it's just something about what she said and then topping that off with what Roy said that just pull on my heartstrings. And there's a question, you know, a rhetorical question that Congressman Cliburn raised in his interview with Jake Tapper that I want to play quickly and then I want really like elevate And I don't know if I should say elevate just come out of this, broaden out the conversation. So can we play that clip and then let's broaden out Well.
Speaker 11: My first reaction was, if you look at this, Evan, let's just look at South Carolina and look at the congressional district in South Carolina. Why is it okay they have a seventy five percent white district and that's not racial. If you have a forty five percent black district, that is racial. So what is this about. There's no way that the numbers bear this out. When you look at what the Supreme Coach regions had been, you have to come to the conclusion that they're throwing everything out of the window, coming up with new theories, putting in their own prejudices in this, and they're being very potesant in their rulings. I never thought I would see today that the United States kream grow would be so openly partizan with what it's been doing. And I really believe if you look at all of these decisions and you look at the history of the country, I think the Justice Roberts is going to take his place alongside some other infamous justices like Taine, who gave us the dress Scott decision.
Speaker 1: I wanted to play that because, as Bacari talked about at the top of the show, the dread Scott decision of eighteen fifty seven, the John Roberts Court decision that gutted the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five. Of twenty twenty six, this is the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary that some celebrate of this country. It will be on July fourth, seventeen seventy six, and it is time for us to come to the alter call of justice, to really determine if this is a country a place that holds space for us, not just for us to vote in a fighter for the sake of preserving the record, or for the sake of preserving history, or for the sake of you know, leading the resistance, but is there space for us to actually be the builders that we've been from its foundation in sixteen nineteen, and to get the credit for it and the space in it to thrive, not just to barely survive, not just you know, for another fight. I was telling you guys on the call earlier that I spoke to the Laura Miller Bar Association, which is our Black Bar, and what was on me what my speech was called, the nation is on fire. And I harken back to, you know, Professor Ogletree coming to speak to us at the Nabalsa convention, and he talked about our houses on fire, and Doctor King in a conversation with Harry Belafonte said something else. For her context, Charles Ogletree spoke to us in two thousand and four. Doctor King was having the house on fire conversation in the sixties with Harry Belafonte. This is what he said. I've come upon something that disturbs me deeply. We have fought hard and longed for integration, as I believe we should have, and I know we will win, but I have come to believe that we are integrating into a burning house. I'm afraid that America has lost the moral vision she may have had and I'm afraid that even as we integrate, we are walking into a place that does not understand that this nation needs to be deeply concerned with the plight of the poor and disenfranchised. Until we commit ourselves to ensuring that the underclass has given justice and opportunity, we will continue to perpetuate the anger and violence that tears the soul of this nation. I fear I am integrating my people into a burning house.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and one that's one that has fuel being actively thrown on the flame right now. You know, when I think about some of the acts that these members of the state legislatures have taken just recently in the states that we identify as a small win because they decided not to completely and utterly bankrupt democracy in their state for now, for now, is that I'm surprised that none of them made the argument of just the self preservation and reputation of their state. These are Southern states, most of which are at the bottom of the charts on nearly every indicator that directs to whether or not you're going to have a thriving health, educational job, economic workforce slash community worth living in. And when you don't have representative voices that speak to the deepest of the needs of the people in your state, and you start to tumble even further down than where you are, if you didn't already think you were at the bottom. What multinational corporation decides to relocate into a city or a state that is literally on fire, that's burning down because you have now suppressed, removed, suffocated the voices of the people, ignored their needs, and now you've got streets that are uninhabited, neighborhoods that are uninhabitable, schools that are uninhabitable, no jobs, and so people are walking around shiftless. This is what they are inviting if they were to just to take your term, Angela, just pull back and recognize that this is a self defeating mission they are on. They think they're doing it despite our noses. That's what they think they're chopping off. These folks are going to see that they have led the actions that they are taking under the insatiable thirst and hunger for power and their obsession with it, that they are literally throwing their states over the cliff. You can't keep a people who have something to say silent for perpetuity. It's like a boiling pot. It may simmer for a while, but it will get too hot and it will boil over. And when it boils over, it's going to be bad for everybody. Everybody, So don't do it for my sake. If you actually care about the places that you are elected or selected or appointed to represent, and you recognize also that the house is burning down, don't throw kerosene on the fire. Figure out a way to abort mission. Pull up, Maverick, you are flying too close to the sun. You'll get burned, yeah, and eviscerated. It's just I don't I don't mean to take this to a place where it didn't mean to go. But these are if I'm a black man, Yes I'm in the South, I'm all those things. But if I'm just to pull back as a person who cares about and loves where I live, and I do, then you have to at some point say, is this in the best interest for the future of my my children? Yeah, my family, my neighborhood, my schools, my roads and infrastructure and public parks, and it is just really in the interest of it. And I think if anyone who searches themselves and shouldn't take long, you should conclude pretty quickly, this is a bad deal, period. Angela. To the question of whether we aboard mission, unfortunately, I think under the conditions and under the systems by which we operate, and given the fact that, as you say, and hopefully profitably, that we built this joint for free, they need to go. They need to go.
Speaker 2: He said, get the hell out of my country. I'm just do not come.
Speaker 1: My favorite line, she knows I want a T shirt. That's my girl too.
Speaker 4: All I'm saying is is we have we are so deeply vested in these places. We have built these places, We've strengthened these places. We have bent that moral compass. We've been that we are that. Why should we vacate? Why should we have to absorb ourselves? No, I know that wasn't your suggestion.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I have a follow up. Well, because here's the question. What I appreciate. There's a an account on Instagram. Their hope is not AI. But it was really good. I actually stayed at reading. They had like ten pages of the.
Speaker 4: Learned it from us.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's called black art matters with two s's, and what they what they do so artfully in this piece that I really appreciate because becr you know, from our pre production car yesterday, I was on some I don't know, maybe the house burned down to ashes.
Speaker 2: We just need to go over and build something else. I'm not beyond that.
Speaker 1: By the way, I do think that we're in the ash of the thing. I don't think that there's even a structure left, like not even the frame. But they say that integration was a double edged sword essentially, right, there are things that we got that we benefited from integration, like a better hospitals, you know, better schools, better access to you know, a wider range of educational possibility, better paying jobs not the best, so you know, there's still a lot of work to go there. But what we lost in that process was all of our institutions. And sometimes even when we didn't seek integration and we had all of our own institutions, they still burned those down. They found reasons to destroy our ability to be self reliant.
Speaker 2: And so the question really is do we continue down that dual track? Is that what is required of us?
Speaker 1: Because I don't think that we can totally secede, you know, I'm not trying to say, like, let's be the black Confederacy, right, But I do wonder Andrew not like hmm, actually that might be a good idea, but like, what is our path for y'all?
Speaker 2: We're tired?
Speaker 8: We fight.
Speaker 2: Not only are we fighting the fight, fighting the fight.
Speaker 1: Of our ancestors, we're fighting the fight we already won. We have to go back and redo this because we didn't do as Reverend Jackson said or Jesse Junior said, the constitutional amendment was required for y'all to do the right thing. You got to have a constitutional amendment guardrail because a legislative action isn't sufficient.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, that's just too that's a lot.
Speaker 5: So to answer your question kind of plainly and bluntly, Yeah, be blunt, like I don't think we I don't. The three of us ain't got no choice. We ain't going nowhere. We can't go nowhere. And the reason that we ain't no, no, ain't we no because we have lived, we have lived a life where our loved ones have paid too much for me to abandon this journey. Now you know what is it? He brought me too far?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So like I know how you think, I know how you feel, Angela, I slept with you. I went to bail yesterday at six o'clock. I was tired. I slept with your question because I understood it, and a lot of times you one of the things I'm trying to be better at is not discarding people's genuine intellectual curiosity. And I came to the resolve that we don't have a choice because of all of the effort, time, energy, blood, sacrifice, pain that people have put into this struggle to make this country a more perfect union. She not that right. And also, we also took for granted many of the achievements that were garnered by so much death, devastation and brutality around us. We took for granted the Voting Rights Act, we took for granted the Civil Rights Act, we took for granted the Fairhousing Act. There are not the three of us, because we have our own beefs and quarrels and qualms. However, there are a lot of us who said, when Barack Obama got elected, we rested on our laurels and said, we have proverbably made it. This is the mountaintop. And then we had opportunities throughout the pendency of our life to preserve a democracy, which we didn't necessarily understand was fragile and made some choices, calculations and votes which proved to be devastating. Now, the analogy is Donald Trump is a bull in a china shop. The unique part about that, however, is when that bull leaves that china shop, that china is forever broken. You cannot glue China back together, simply cannot. It's forever damaged. And so the first thing we have to do is reimagine what democracy in this country should look like. And we have to literally spend time reimagining what these systems should look like that treat us as full citizens, and not only treat us as full citizens, but make sure that we have the ability to thrive in these systems, each one of them individually. We need to re examine that and reimagine that and figure out from a very very a very very just fundamental level of making sure that we are part of this participatory democracy right and it starts right here in our own houses. It starts with raising good humans. It starts with making sure that we are doing the sub precinct work, that we're organizing again, that we're listening to communities again, that we are participating in school board meetings and local city council meetings, and we're making sure that people run for office all of the offices, not just the ones that get you on YouTube or get you on Twitter, or when you lose the race, may get you on cable TV. But making sure that we have people doing the good work. It means that our institutions, which are flailing many times, whether or not you're talking about our civic organizations, that means being a part of these institutions, not just being a part of them, but trying to redefine them from the inside, becoming a life member of the NAACP. And then challenging Derek where you want him to be challenged. You know, I think he does a good job. But if you want something different, if you want leadership to look different, then challenge it. Going to your church, going to the black church. Don't be afraid, but don't come empty handed either. Make sure you're putting your resources and your time and your treasure where your mouth is. Stop just calling bullshit out from the sidelines and get in the game.
Speaker 12: Who cares about truth when the last morning's seen it?
Speaker 5: And also, at the end of the day, I think Andrew, you have been talking about this a lot more frequently over the last six months, Angelib but Andrew's been talking about it for a while. We have to do a better job of taking care of ourselves because too many of our soldiers are dying. Too many young people are dying because of the stresses that this world has caused and put upon us, because of the environments that we live in. And there's a direct correlation between the insanity that we go through our mental health and then living in a food desert where you don't have access to fresh fruits and vegetables, and so you die. And wonder why people at forty four years old are having massive strokes or heart attacks. And so I think all of these things are necessary, and we cannot we cannot cannot resort to the Messiah complex that some of us do so often, which is sit back and try to wait for the next great Messiah. I think that that power is within all of us, and a lot of times, the last thing that I'll say is we take for granted our successes so far, but we also don't fully comprehend the power that is within all of us that Donald Trump can't take away.
Speaker 4: I love all of that, and I just I say, Book Curry, I want to thank you and Angela thank you for the topic, because it has caused me to sit back and think about some things a little differently. And one of those things is is I definitely took for granted how much that operates in our society from day to day that were not legally codified. They were norms and traditions and the ways in which you treat people respectability, you know, like all the things that Donald Trump has upset in this system. I kept being like, there's got to be a law for this. I know they've got this somewhere into this and this and that, and it's like, oh no, no, no, they know that doesn't exist in writing legally codified for us to then be able to claw back what he has taken out and worse over, because his co conspirators, the majority of the Supreme Court, are in cahoots with him as they all realize their version or their vision for the beloved white supremacist society that they want to live in. The rest of us out here on the struggle bus trying to figure out where we're all. Where are all of these ironclad promises and safeguards that were supposed to kick in the gear when a tyrant showed up. And they don't exist under the cover of the law. They exist in traditions and the good will that we extend to our neighbor that when given the opportunity to do the right thing or the wrong thing to each other, you'll choose to do the right thing. When you're a leader. That's not the default position. And if I had to argue it, that's never been the default disposition of leaders in this country. They don't just choose to do the right thing, they're forced to do it. When they do it, they're forced oftentimes. I certainly consider this for the opposition oftentimes because some of the things that I think when you said re envisioning this democracy, I remember the legislative agenda for so many civil rights organizations reading the same way from year to year to year on a couple of fronts. One was about voting rights, another was around establishing our citizenship beyond. Another was around what we do to further clarify and law the Voting Rights Act so that the courts were not left you wonder, not interpret, but to wonder and create new law from the bench, which is what I believe they've done in these most recent cases, but they are given verse line, paragraph sentence. What the lawmakers mean when they say the Voting Rights Acting who is to have access based off of this? Is that in the third and unfortunately, we had a sixty vote Democrat majority in the US Senate, we had a a House under democratic control and a White House under democratic control. No longer can we afford to flout those kinds of winds and fail to do the most basic of responsibilities that we have to ensuring our democracy and the protection of the people who got you there, because none of those protections exist even after a sixty plus. We had sixty one, and then Kennedy died, and then we lost that seat to the due who ran against them, I mean, ran to replace him out of Massachusetts. And so Democrats are now having to be called for higher purpose. I don't care about you, don't call me, don't I no solicitation. Just state your plan and make it plain. I'm not reveled by what Trump did and said, and da da da da da da da. You got to get serious about the business of governing and securing our freedoms and the power, the little bit of power that we are able to claw back. Otherwise, y'all, we're gonna be right back in the same place or worse.
Speaker 2: And I think you know on that.
Speaker 1: The fact that we are back in the same place, to me begs the question. And i'd ask you all at home to consider what is left of the structure of the house. Is it the frame? Is it smoldering ashes, is it some that were in between? And what do we build in it? To absence? I will receive everything be said about, you know, our ancestors, our forefathers, our own mothers and fathers, and all of the investment they've made into this country, whether on a micro level or on a macro level, those contributions all matter. But I do think it's nation building time for us. I really do. And I'll use this to transition in the calls to action. I want you all to really think about where we are. I want you to think about what their floor is, because their floor is not drawing your voice out of a congressional district. They haven't gotten the state legislative districts yet, but that's coming. Their floor is not expelling your representatives that you voted for from the House or the Senate or removing them off of committees. Their floor is not taking away affirmative action. Their floor is not gutting the Voting Rights Act, killing it completely. Their floor is not removing access to health care. Their floor is not cutting SNAP benefits by which Alabamaans right now have lost Snap benefits to the tune of hundreds of thousands of people, or at least one hundred thousand people. What is their floor If their floor is not just starving us, it's not just killing us, it's not just silencing us. What is their floor? And once we figure out what the floor is, we know where our fight begins, what the real resistance efforts are, what the real advocacy efforts are, what our demands are, what our Freedom Party looks like, and then we can talk about the mountaintop. At the end of the speech that Charles Ogletree gave to us in two thousand and four, he says, the reason we sing swing Low, Sweet Chariot is because our people are not in the mountains. What does it take for us to climb the mountain and get to the top. That's my question for you on I'm gonna stop here because I'm gonna cry. I'm nine suposed to go first. It's my week. I'm sorry, guys, but.
Speaker 2: Awful for Andrew.
Speaker 5: No. I mean I think that we need to revisit and lean on faith. I think we need to lean on our history. I think we need to lean on our strength, and at the end of the day, I think we need to lean on each other. Because one of the things that I recognize about this moment is, you know, I had a long week this week too, Lord at Mercy. I've been in the eye of the bull's eye all we long. But I realized that the people who reach out to you, the people that pray for you, the people that you see that give you the nod or the you know you keep going, those are the people that are going to help us get to that parobial mountaintop. And so lean on your brother and sister, lean on your faith, lean on our history. Know that we've been here before, We've been in this nay here before, and we emerged victorious. I truly believe we'll find that victory again.
Speaker 4: I'm a triple down on this theme. I think we're in is the salvation. What will carry us through, is what has always carried us through, and it is each other. I mean, I'm never going to forget Minneapolis as a turning point in the crucible. It is terrible that lives had to be laid down, but we prevailed in what felt like the darkest of night. And look what may have been staved off for a lot of other places, and a lot of other black places, frankly, that were listed and targeted as the up next. So I do believe that righteous people will prevail. The other thing is is we have been here before, but also we haven't each Each battles may look very similar, even what is that debate? What is that argument? Looks very similar sometimes, but God had to take us to the first learning so that we could spot more clearly what needed to change the next learning time around. And we wouldn't have known the thing that needed to be changed the second time around or the third time around if it weren't for the time that preceded the battle that you're in right now. So they are similar. For sure, we have the grit and we know that we got the composition to bear what will be required. But each one of these lessons is a different lesson. Each one of the battles, the derivative of it, there is what will result is going to be another thing, another notch, and then we'll find ourselves back in war and it will look similar. But the thing we we'll be fighting for then will be the next rung that takes us higher. It'll be the next thing that takes us higher. I say that to say I don't want us to be disillusion that we're always fighting the same fight. It isn't always the same fight is a familiar fight and a familiar battery of things that come at us. But the body and the soul and the spirit needs that familiarity. But the fight is actually going to be different because we're trying to climb a new rung. We're trying to move to a new level, and so we have to stay in the fight. We have to stay in the game. I'm not beyond the fact that systems have to change, some need to be leveled. When we win back administrations, we must be more strategic in our demands. You showing up at my church is never enough, but it absolutely will not suffice. So we can do this. We will do this, and the thing that will sustain us will be what always has and it's been us and the God in us that has allowed us to exist and persist through the next battle.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks, brothers. I always appreciate your calls to action. Andrew and McCrary, I have one more. Don't be mad, but it's so important, you know what. We are in the middle of the fight of our lives with this redistricting battle, and that is why we're going to Montgomery this weekend. Of course, Alabama has its primary elections on Tuesday, but this Saturday, for all roads lead to the South, we are joining each other, lockstep arm in arm to say not on our watch.
Speaker 2: We're going to have a rally and cry. This is the first of many.
Speaker 1: On Saturday, at one pm Central in Montgomery, Alabama, was saying, hey, we're standing together. We're standing united. We will fight back. We might be tired, but together we are mighty, and we will ensure that you respect our voices and our votes. Right now, the governor's calling for a special election in August. You will see the names of Terry Sewell and Shamari figures on the ballots in Alabama. You will see Cleo Phil's and Troy Carter's names on the ballot in Louisiana.
Speaker 2: That's election day in Louisiana.
Speaker 1: We want to make sure that they understand that our votes are nothing to play with. We don't just call another election. We're calling for our representatives to be heard and to be seated, for the Supreme Court to not undermine the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five, and that is exactly what they've done in the last few days.
Speaker 2: But we are all coming together.
Speaker 1: Hears some powerful voices on that stage this Saturday in Montgomery, Alabama, and you will also be in the space with some powerful advocates on the ground, and so we want you to come organized together. The most important thing we can say to each other in this hour is you are not alone. So turn to your neighbor, tell them to write on down with you to Montgomery if you're not in Alabama, and make sure that you come get refueled for the fight. The fight continues, and I can't wait to see you all there in Montgomery this weekend.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask y'all for a personal call to action for our show. I really want us to consider a nation on fire like town Hall series, because I think that it gives us an opportunity to build not just with our listeners, but other community members the vision and the reimagining that we deserve to your point, Andrew, so I hope that we'll consider that, especially in this hour that run right now.
Speaker 5: The only way that I'll do it is if we make sure that we're not in I want to go. I want to go out where the people at. I don't want to be in the city of Atlanta, per se. I want to be in making you know, I don't want to be in Miami. I want to be I don't know, somewhere else that the people necessarily don't always get to touch. So let's keep that in mind as we as we plan that. But I'm down. I want to go where the people are.
Speaker 4: I Appreci'll remind you when we come to it and you complain about you can't fly into and can't get in and out.
Speaker 2: Of that's wrong.
Speaker 4: Remind you, thank you we can fly in and out of.
Speaker 2: Andrew, thank you for contextualizing.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it whatever, just make sure we can. Just I'm glad you can textualize his demands with practicality, but I do. I'm really really grateful for you all for allowing us the spaciousness to have this conversation. I really think it's one of the most important ones we've had on this show. As always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampod. We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. You can follow us on social media and substack, or check out native lampod dot com. If you're looking out or looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our recent choice media networks Politics with Jamel Hill, Off The Cup with se Cup, and Now You Know with Noah Da Barasso. We are Angela, Raie Pacari Sellers and Andrew Gillen. Welcome home, y'all. There are one hundred and seventy three days until midterm elections.
Speaker 5: Welcome home to the Natives.
Speaker 12: Landing on the podcast space tests and for greatness sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: It's so hit, not too.
Speaker 12: Long for the great shift, high level combo politics in a way that you can taste it then digested. Politics touches you even.
Speaker 3: If you don't touch it, So get invested.
Speaker 12: Across the t's and Doctor I kill them, got them ass sellers staying on business or why you could have been anywhere but you chose us. Native lampod is the brand that you can trust.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reizing Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.