Speaker 1: Now, shotgun starting golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here and there.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, alright, Dent.
Speaker 3: No man, Dart, your.
Speaker 2: Greetings are welcome to a Friday edition of a Shotgun Start. It is January twenty eighth. Andy, how are we doing, Brendan.
Speaker 4: I can't say that I'm complaining. I think we had we had to Tuesday show with.
Speaker 2: I can't say that i've't complained. I haven't heard it that way, all.
Speaker 4: Right, and a show with a call to the contact guy. So we need we need some juice nothing.
Speaker 2: Call a dance, a prayer, a seance, whatever you want to call it. And they delivered. They always delivered, Come on.
Speaker 4: They always deliver. We got brooksy DYNA's hair, which is just absurd. Just I don't know if I even want to really waste time on it.
Speaker 2: I don't need, I don't. It's so it's so superfluous and just so. I mean, we deal in the inconsequential and silly often, but this one is especially empty. Calorie and everybody made the same joke. If people couldn't resist, they had to talk about eminem they had to. Like everybody made the same joke. And I like just golf twitters like rubbed me the wrong way though, Like it's just bad. It's not no creativity anymore. It's just people who tweet videos and people on blasts out about this is a.
Speaker 4: Tweet video is maybe the worst thing that's ever been.
Speaker 2: Creating, ripping other people's transcripts, ripping. It's just not a good used to have some creativity and thought had to go. You had to. You had to. There had to be some wittyness to what you were doing. And now it's just not good. Everybody's like this is amazing, you know, and everybody just loves it thinks that's good.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Anyways, the Brooksy the Brooksy hair thing a bomb on. I'm not dropping a bomb. I'm not even calling anyone else specifically. The whole thing, the whole scene just bums me out. It's gone. Uh, it's all bombing gouge. Now, it's just no creativity no verride it's all bombing gouge. But yeah, everybody made the same everybody made the same Brooksy joke. So I'm not all funny Duddy, just a man quality and intellectual, uh you know, value added. But okay, go ahead. The Brooksie blond thing sucked. It was boring to me that we.
Speaker 4: Had Bryson launching, launching, sending shipping balls. As the quote, we got a little scoop scoop from the ground. Bryson's shipping balls into the caddy lot for the driving range with his driver broke a couple of wind shields. You know, I got herb reports of him aiming over there, purposely hitting it over there. Yeah, potentially rumors that he doesn't want to pay for the wind shields.
Speaker 2: Tournament's responsibility, right, something like allegedly remorseless, allegedly.
Speaker 4: Doesn't feel bad for the caddies with broken window shields. And uh and then you know, maybe a little dose of karma. You know, I don't wish well on anybody, but you're you might be allegedly potent actually being an urse. And then all of a sudden he's's hobbled, he's got a wrist problem. I don't know, you know how it happened. I said, you know, didn't look good all afternoon. Maybe a back issue too. I don't know.
Speaker 2: All right with the range thing. So we got this, you got this whatever early this morning.
Speaker 4: You know the Shotgus Star, Twitter got it. You're giving up? Who got the scoop?
Speaker 2: We got some good stuff today. I mean, we can't even go into some other, some other deeper, darker potential scandals which we're trying to hunt down, some real explosive stuff which we'll get to hopefully. We got the gumshoe work is being efforted right now, but this one is a little bit of whimsy. I don't look, I don't blame Bryson. I don't think we should pay him as a bad guy from all from everything we hear, this range so it's not good. It's two sided, and he was aiming over the fence to not hit into guys standing on the other end. And I got I got sent a picture I could not use of one of these back windshields. Just broken glass everywhere, just everywhere in this lot. I didn't use it, but I mean there were broken glass. There are broken wind shields everywhere this is. I just think Bryson was probably trying to avoid hitting people and he got a couple of cars. I think my colleague at Golf Digest, Todd Leonard, has been a San Diego writer for decades. He was, I think working on something and talk to me about it. So I don't want to step on his reporting. But like, I don't know. What we heard several times over was the range sucks. So I don't know that I like totally want to blame Bryson or put him in a bad light. Necessarily, we know he's he's a you know, a d bag for other reasons. But I don't think this is one where we want to see he's got malice or he's he's he's being a bad guy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's illustrative of a larger problem. We have ranges that are safety hazards on are we getting to a majority of courses that the pros go to? It feels like it. I mean there's just balls. At least with Bryson Riviera, they kind of extend the net. Harbortown Sony the wingfoot, remember wingfoot, he was popping cars they had to move.
Speaker 4: They should bring leaders from all those organization, all those setups in to examine the range, see what kind of fence and infrastructure they can add. Stat you know that that that superintendent from Harbor Town should be on a red Eye flight over there right now.
Speaker 2: Hey, they got the PGA show going on. If you want the next great invention, you want to make it big in this game, figure out how to extend ranges, figure out how sure's there's somebody rang. I got the quick turn. I can you know, turn your range from three hundred yards into four hundred in the overnight. Yeah, So I think it's a range issue. This sounds like a real, real danger. This range sounds like a real hazard. Just the images I was getting to people like huddled under tents and stuff on the other side is crazy. But uh yeah, I don't blame Bryson too much he on this one, but it was a good nonetheless to see the broken glass and hear that He's like, that's not my problem, you guys, figure out how to pay for this. You don't have the range. So, uh, what's going on with this injury? I mean there's a lot of back nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is it a risk? Is it a bad I think it's a.
Speaker 4: Risk based off of like him gripping his Caddy's hand like over and over again. But I think there might be some back issues. I don't know. I feel like this is, uh, this is obviously something we talked about in the beginning when all this was going on, is an injury risk, but I don't think I think the wrist would be would be that maybe maybe it is from just beating drivers all the time and it's just not you know, like his Instagram it he'd just go to random rages and hitting double XL buckets of drivers everywhere.
Speaker 2: Trying to get to like twenty five and stuff like that. You know, no real purpose. I mean, I know there's a purpose, but so much of it just seems like trying to get a higher feedback on a launch monitor, So just to get some feedback on a screen.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is what we were concerned about when he started doing the long drive thing, like, how can you be good at both of them? They right right MC by the way, Yeah, and I'm not I don't want to read too much into one start, but you know, he was really good about eighteen months ago or whatever it was what the US open what.
Speaker 2: Happened, it was, it was the he's ever been. Yeah, sixteen he needs to get back to pushing two sixty.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's really good and it's like, Okay, at that point, you probably maybe the best player in the world, whether or not the rankings said you were. I think everybody was like, whoa, I don't know who could stop this guy, and he's just kept pushing it. Like at a certain time it's okay to just halt and say, you know what, I think I'm in the right spot right now for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's only gotten more intense this lap station. Yeah, it's beyond the golf at this point. It's beyond like the it's a bizarre beyond like being a tour pro, like being better at tour pro. It feels like it's it's like it's just just a side pursuit that might be more of a primary pursuit. I don't know, Maybe I'm wrong that the the sort of I don't know if it's delicious, but it would be or come up in But if he can't play in Saudi Arabia next week, I mean he's jammed his back or his wrist or whatever it's jamm do you think he goes and still like it's just this mouthpiece talking about I was growing the game for everyone over there, even though we can't play.
Speaker 4: I'd be worried about going over there, and then's saying I can't play. You know, I'd want to stay in the States If I can't play, you might you might might rub the wrong person the wrong way, and you know, find yourself like in a place that doesn't have an extradition policy.
Speaker 2: You know, they got this ad they're running like fans are back at the Saudi International. I was like, wait, no, yeah, oh yeah, and it's like it looks like it's some like you know, state Fair or something. There's kinsingt con kid. Shit, it's great fans. There were never any fans, or to begin with, they had like two people outside the ropes per hole. This isn't some big party card.
Speaker 4: Do you think their fan policy is with creating content like you know that. Do you think they're as liberal and free as the PGA two. They're a little bit stricter. With cell phone used over.
Speaker 2: There instead of a DMCA, you get a finger, you know, yeah, finger taken off. Probably not something you should joke about, but you know, we're just talking about hypotheticals here. Yeah, so we'll see if you can play next week. But he's done at Tory Pines. He's not been he's not been good to his credit, he might give the least shits about the FedEx Cup points of anyone out there, like just did not play, did not play once after Tour Championship.
Speaker 4: Does he see the log drive?
Speaker 2: I know, but I mean he just he doesn't care about it. Like he could be two hundredth It just doesn't seem to bother him. I think, maybe you know that's that's laudable. I guess in a way, I suppose all right, other things from uh Tory by the way, I meant to lead off Congress to Brandon Harkins for winning the Abbaco the house that Darren Clark built, beat the dough Boy well Nights still day for well night crying in his beer. I think the dough boy had like two shot lead with three holes to go lost.
Speaker 4: What it hurts like, obviously, what do you have? Who do you have a two shot lead with three holes? If you don't win, that's it's not going to feel very good. It was very relatable, like.
Speaker 2: A disconsolate dome boy. I feel bad for Marty.
Speaker 4: Made me really chuckle, Uh don't will rise again?
Speaker 2: Love a good pond right over right over the plate for us that's good will. I appreciate that other Tory pines matters. We have a three way tie at the midpoint here Thursday night midpoint between how about this? But it's not working BJ tour dot com, if you can believe it or not, is not working for me.
Speaker 4: I got caught front up.
Speaker 2: It's gone from working seven out of eight times, so I think like five out of eight times for me when I go there, it never works.
Speaker 4: But J T.
Speaker 2: Shank and Rob I know, are tied for the lead at thirteen under.
Speaker 4: Camera Shug Gali, he's at twelve, Peppie, Peter mel Nod. He said at five Aaron Raye, Alex Smalley, Luke list Seawoo Kim and look at that Jason Day. I heard T six as well as tahath the gala.
Speaker 2: So did Leishman make the cut?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know did he did?
Speaker 4: He hit it right to the I think he grounded it at a double play T twenty three.
Speaker 2: That's all right, he's through. He's through. That's exactly what you want to do. He did his job.
Speaker 4: He's got this. This guy, he's not a guy that turns the single in a triple with this with this steals.
Speaker 2: But how he got there is you know, inconsequential. He's there swinging one that when this will get swinging, But when this bit will get old, I don't know. But we're just gonna keep punted into the crowd for a.
Speaker 4: How so either of us have flee Schmid left and want and done.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well whatever, it will come up again this season, do we. I mean, Rob jt would be fun, would be good for long time golf. On Saturday, I have to shake the Shank lineup, which no one could get. When I did that, nobody knew Adam Shank wins. But go ahead, Rob.
Speaker 4: Rob is like pissed off about how he's playing. It's kind of like, actually, I would be frightened if I was a fellow. Ever heard the PGA Tour. He was like he was like cussing out, he was like swearing, he was camera. Yeah, he was all pissed off. And they asked Kira Dixon, I think, asked him after the round and he's like, well, he'll cutted six drives in a row. I couldn't keep the driver anywhere on the planet. Like he's all pissed off, and it's like and He's thirteen under through two rounds, a tory tied for the lead with a guy that made eight straight birdies.
Speaker 2: Shanke, we can talk about this now. Rom's comments. He was asked about how it's like a putting contest last week. That was Tuesday, you know, after we recorded, and he goes, you know, we're the PGA Tour, We're the best players on the planet and we're playing at a golf course. We're missing the fairway means absolutely nothing. I just think it was a bit too easy for the best players in the world. That's just my opinion. Rob added, this is Ryan Labner, who did a great job sort of talking to a bunch of players. Shake by the way, missed like every fairway he hit, like three or four fairways went nuts. Right, He made a bunch of putts, made a few from off the green missing the fairway. I don't know. It's not like we saw from the Justin Raight stat beforehand. It's not a huge penalty here, right, and Shank showed that you can still shoot almost a course record round by missing most of your fairways.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: There were some good Shank facts on the on the telcast. This is a person that I you know, it's impossible to find these things about Adam Shank. He's kind of in the Tyler Duncan zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both are Purdue guys, right, So, and if Shank shares a birthday with Waye Gretzky, random fact, that's terrible. I mean, what the hell does that mean? Like we could say anybody in the world shares a birthday with someone of Summer. Now like there's no connection there that does it? Okay? All right? Then? Uh, like everybody shares a birthday with somebody moderately or fairly famous, that's just not interesting fact about the person himself.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know this is this is some of the Shake facts. Hey. He he had a rough senior year at Purdue. He was thinking about taking a job and he it turned with Northwestern Mutual and realized that wasn't life for him. Selling insurance wasn't life for him.
Speaker 2: I mean, so he fell back on being a PGA Tour pro and making a million dollars or finished in t twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he tried to playing pro golf pretty good. H He grew up on a sod farm, so hot tip. Maybe he'll be at home in in the twin Cities, TVC, SOD Farm.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. We store that in the memory bank for your hot hot picks DFS sleepers Come July. I saw this was a big sort of topic. After he grew up. He said he had, like I don't know something, cubic yards of zoosia in his front yard and he got good at hitting balls, but he needed a chipping drink because it says I suck at chipping or I'm not that new what needs work, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. So anyways, those were the Shank facts. I learned something on the telcast. I appreciated that.
Speaker 2: You appreciate the Wayne Gretzky birthday.
Speaker 4: I just appreciated learning something about a guy that I didn't really know much about outside He played golf of Purdue and he was friends with Tyler Duncan and you know, equally obscure to find information on.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Shank lineups. He's one that you know, we're learning more and more about him and you know his face and what he looks like. Congrats to him. He made eight birdies in a row. I finally got the leaderboard to look.
Speaker 4: And congrats to Brooks Koepka for winning this week's thirst Bucket of the week. The week's not over, You've already won it.
Speaker 2: It's good for you bucket of the week. And we got a lot of tagged in on that. It did seem just without play a point a point pointless like but he was sure was ready to change his Twitter avatar. He had you know, the barberschare TikTok thing ready to post after where you know, he lift the curtain and now he's blonde, and so he was ready. He's ready to go, and there was a lot.
Speaker 4: He's smart, he's getting that. This is you know, did you die? Would you dye your hair if it meant you're making like four extra million dollars?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 4: Yeah, see I would too. So you know he's played the pip game. I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't have a.
Speaker 4: Problem with it because he's doing He's just play the game that he's being.
Speaker 2: You know, put in the peroxide, Runneth over in the thirst Bucket of the week, Okay, anything else. Speth misses the cut. And I think there was the longest streak on toury had made twenty in a row.
Speaker 4: That justin Ray's Daddy. He only finished whatever one hundred and twenty two starts short of tigers.
Speaker 2: Oh did you see that? Yeah, a long way to go. Any MC disappointments, if you can believe it or not, didn't make the Ricky. I mean, that's a bad one. I don't want to pile y. That's a bad one. He was six under yesterday. I know he went from north to south, but that's just completely booting it away.
Speaker 4: You know what laughable? You know, we do a Friday podcast where we don't we we talk about how inconsequential one round is?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Is that like you know, I some much feel bad. You know, you got to write something after each round if you're in media. But all the Ricky redemption stories yesterday that were coming, Oh he's coming, he's on his way back. It's like, it's just wait till, wait till it's like Saturday for that article.
Speaker 2: It's just sloppy one round.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We got a tip, not a tip, but just an insight observation. His precipitous are consistent and slow decline in the O W g R appeared to be appears to begin when he started playing a new ball. When he signed a new ball deal. Now Taylor could be a coincidence, could be a cause. I don't know, but as the arc starts to trend downward, it's when he put a new ball in. I don't know if that's that's the primary cause. Could be just you know, concurrent, but that is Ah, I believe that's the case anyway. So that's just a bad, bad MC. It's a bad, sloppy way to go out. Anything else from Brooks missed.
Speaker 4: The cut too? Yeah. Yeah, there's a lot of a lot of big a lot of big names missing the cut. I don't you know, I don't count Ricky as one of those, but you know, you know with Spieth and and uh and Brooksy or Brooksy and uh, do.
Speaker 2: We have a good enough leader board to call this a good court?
Speaker 4: You now missed the cut too? It's a machine in uh at Tory usually too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all these big names missing the cut at such a major championship venue that produces such good leader boards.
Speaker 4: Well, it was interesting, Uh.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I listened to the No Leg Up podcast with Adam Scott. Obviously it's it's a band that I enjoy listen to talk and he doesn't talk that much, and uh, it was a wonderful You know, discussion, but he was talking about how the games changed and he's just like these the best guys just aren't as consistent as they used to be. And it was he kind of singled out rom as being, you know, almost an outlier of in in more like the Ernie's, the Phils, the Tigers. You know, Tiger obviously was on a different planet he alluded to, but like where those guys had it every week.
Speaker 2: You know, hey, you want to do a weekend or a final round, a final two round, head to head, I'll take the Gala. You can ride your boy j Day. They're both nine under. I'm pumped. I'm big on th Gala, big time.
Speaker 4: He's a good guy to be big, and I think that's he's a big boy. He's built, he's a big guy.
Speaker 2: We'll go ahead to head on that. Maybe for something, I don't know, we can figure out the stakes. You still ow me a p XG polo or something.
Speaker 4: From what I do. I was somewhere I could have bought p XG polo too. I almost I couldn't get myself to buy something in there that was there was a because I knew that, like deep down, I just like thought somebody might know that I was mocking it by buying it, you know, and then you're an asshole.
Speaker 2: You know you're doing this for the content and nothing because they like the piece, like the article of clothing.
Speaker 4: I couldn't do it. I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. I saw. I saw the hat, the flat brim, with the with the ear flaps. I wanted to buy it really bad.
Speaker 2: Did you miss the PGA show speaking of gear and the tire.
Speaker 4: And running into people that I know? I that part I miss? I Do I miss anything about it? No? Do I miss going to a conference?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Maybe? Maybe. One of the worst experiences in my life was having to go to the Orlando conventions that are two weeks in a row.
Speaker 2: A few years ago you were there forever it was the one after it or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought, I like completely lost my soul as a human being. Is two weeks in a row in that convention center, I'd love. I don't know why it has to be in a convention Why why does these things have to be in convention centers? Like, why can't they be like not in like a place that just kills your you know, any will to live you know.
Speaker 2: Because people are making a cut coming and going and this is the way it works. And there's you know, some business that sells floor space and a business that you know everything that just the way it works.
Speaker 4: All those stands are complete racket.
Speaker 2: Yeah it yeah, yeah. Anyways, all right, that's it. Two rounds through toy. I love that we're halfway done. Friday night Primetime, This the PGA Show. You didn't I never went. I've never been.
Speaker 4: I feel like you would really love, you'd really Oh, I haven't exploring.
Speaker 2: I'd have a field day with it. Not in the way they probably want me to or intended to, but I would. I've been to that Orlando area too much, but never gone into convention Center. But yeah, never went. I had a field day from afar. But it looked the PGA club pros like there are some of our favorite people and if it like is useful for them, then I'm all, you know, it's helpful and go. But some of the turf one next week is that in Orlando, San Diego? Oh yeah, I gotta go.
Speaker 4: I'm going to I've gone to the turf of the Superintendent Golf Tournament, the Golf Championships, and it's at Tory Pines.
Speaker 2: Do they play golf? Yeah, they plays there's.
Speaker 4: Like a national championship.
Speaker 2: That's cool. Yeah, there's there's gotta imagine there's some good players in that set that cohort.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but is that Tory. I gotta go to cover a golf tournament Tory next week.
Speaker 2: That's all I got on Tory Pines for the first two oh one other thing, Matt Hughes played the wrong ball, kind of threw the Marshall under the bus.
Speaker 4: Man has some bad skeletons and Tory between the boy tree and playing the wrong ball that bad luck.
Speaker 2: I went and hit the ball where the flag was next to and I found out my ball was eight feet away. Like I don't know, you still got to kind of look at your ball, make.
Speaker 4: Sure of it would put your own fault.
Speaker 2: Marshall sees the ball, he puts a flag down. He's not going to try to, you know, look up close and personal.
Speaker 4: What time I was. When I was a kid, I played in this big It was like the Junior PGA. It was like you get there's like one spot from each state and I was leading after the first round. It was two rounds and you know I was super nervous that you're going into the second round. In the first hole, I played the wrong ball right off, right off the first second shot, I think I started so like I made a triple on one. I think I made a triple onto a double on it. It was just like the most It just shook me and it was the biggest disaster. But like after that, I was really diligent for a long time about checking the ball, Like it's your job. Yeah, you gotta make sure you're playing the right ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if there's a flag next to it. Other scores, I don't think we need to do Dubai. You know, jakombe Hanson is our leader. That will all change by the time you listen to it. Lydia Co, I think shot her lowest career first round ever, which is getting a little too granular on the statistic front, but either way, it's sixty three nine under two ahead of Danielle Kane. Yeah, Ladidia show, that's an absurd stat What lowest opening round?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. It's like it's so like it depends on the course, Like was it her best round opening ground ever? Like is this this insinuation of like this is our best opening ground ever when it could have been something completely different where she shot sixty eight and nobody else shot seventy one or better. You know, this is this is the problem with statistics is there's no you know, everybody's rushing out there to get their stat out there, but there's no there's very rarely like contextualization around the you know what it actually means compared to the other rounds, Like it's not apples to apples, comparison one round to the next round, you know, at different courses over their entire career.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's too, too ahead of Danielle Kane. If we get a cane, DDI's in there too, yeah, said I gave her, yeah, popping it out there.
Speaker 4: Clear she's like a slap hitter. I mean she's like lead off, lead off, you know, maybe second in the two hole.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, Marvis Kel, like, who's the shortstops? You just like they get like they hit one homer a year in one hundred and sixty two games, they hit one or two homers and it like literally clears the fence by a whisker. Ozzie Smith was probably I think.
Speaker 4: Like that the Cups had this used to have this guy named Tony Campana, and he was just this like little skiddy guy. He called up. He was young. They were kind of a rebuilding face. He looked like he was twelve. My buddy and I always used to joke that he would like that the coach had to like monitor how much time you spend it on his Xbox, Like, Tony, you're not old enough to play that game, you know. But you know he could not hit the ball anywhere, but he was so fast when he got on on base. It was it was a nightmare if he got on base, but you know, he just everything was just you know, in field hit.
Speaker 2: Anyways, that Kane, if Daniel Kane is like on a mission, I mean, who knows, this could just be a good start for the year. And it's different by March or it's different by June. But Kane Korda would be delicious, right if Nelly and that Jane Young co well, I know, I mean Lydia's back kind of, but I know there are other names involved. I'm just talking. This time last year was kind of Nelly breaking out. Now it feels like Daniel Kane is coming back.
Speaker 4: But I feel like Daniel King does this though, because she right after the pandemic, she won back to back, right. I think so she did the two step.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's what we call it.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know, I feel like she gets really hot. It's just a matter of sustaining it.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's all I got for leaderboards. I think I don't think we need to get to and you don't want to do Euro. I said, you don't sto by, I said, yakam be Hanson is our leader. Congrats to him. Hopefully it holds on. By the time you listen to us, this will all have changed.
Speaker 4: It starts, you know, to the first round. Overreaction is Tommy Fleetwood back? You know this is the Tommy. Look at that Ricky and and England's Ricky Tommy Fleetwood playing playing well first round to.
Speaker 2: His not back Victor Dube's song one one out of DFL, He's ahead, Monty Tapio Polkin and Manty is just I can't even get it to the fairway cut remember what he's talking about last week. He's eight over DFL. I feel bad for cut Sea and Marunker, Tide and and a bear or herb apparently just a lot of like covid. Just In discrete like COVID, Like guys positive everywhere, but some play some don't. It just sounds sort of indiscriminate, like whether guys are getting out there or not. But all right, that's it for scores at this Friday Juncture news. Colin more Kawa wins the Golf Writers Association of America Player of the Year. Nelly Corda wins it on the women's side. Phil won it. I assume for the old the Champs Tour. But yeah, Marikawa. A lot of people saying this is proof that the writers don't care about the FedEx Cup. I don't know. It just this is what we talked about the end of last year when he won Dubai, Like, did that push him ahead of rom I don't know if it matters. It's a subjective thing you could argue into the night. The PGA Tour is the first major sports organization to be included in the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index. Big ups to them, right, Yeah, that's congratulations. I mean, you know, I don't know that you need the extra metate room or the moat or anything like that, but they're doing some good stuff down there, the Global Home. So that's congrats to them. Saudi more Saudi invitational stuff, focusing more on the Asian tour saw Tom Kim got his The Chew Chew Train is going to Saudi uh and the fourteen year old the Thaie Kid Sensation also got invitations. That's it. That's all I got for new Should we get the flashback Friday? Precision Pro Precision Pro precision pro golf dot com. I don't know if they're at the PGA show. I sure they are, you think so? Who knows?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're not at the PGA show, all you have to do is listen here. You don't have to spend your time in that drearly what is it life sucking, soul crushing convention center that Andy just talked about.
Speaker 4: You could just listen to us about the convention center. Yeah, what if you had a precision Pro this would be a fun exercise. And see where you park and then where you have to walk to and you got walk like a good mile after you park. It's like you park and then you're thirty minutes from the convention center. I mean they got rickshaws out there, like I'm on serious.
Speaker 2: Human labor pulling people.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, they did the bike rickshaws whatever those are called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, human powered it Yeah, interesting, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 4: If you have the Precision Pro I would be able to tell you exactly how far it is, but I don't. I never had it with me.
Speaker 2: Every time I did golf. You, I stayed around there. Around there. It takes like twenty minutes to get around the thing in my car. Try to drive around the neighborhood. It must be massive. Anyways, If you don't need to, you can just listen to us tell you all about Precision Pro. Although if you're down there, go visit their booth. They're great human beings, good people to support, talk to, Just shoot the ship with and you can use the promo coach shotgun twenty at precision progolf dot com. That will get you twenty dollars off an NX nine slope their original rangefinder, not their original, but you know they're they're tried and true. Standby. They've got the R one as well. They've got the A speaker. If this is something you're looking for as golf, I don't know if you're coming out of the coming out of hibernation yet. In many parts of the country, but in some and some it's starting to warm up. Load up for the new season at precisionpro golf dot com and use the promo Coach Shotgun twenty free lifetime battery replacement Expert Customer service. Allegedly, there's another guy. There's not just Eric, there's another guy. We'll talk about him more at a later time. They have a like maybe an internicing rivalry. We'll have to find out. I think it's Kevin or I don't know what his name is, but we're gonna have to pit them against each other. See who's customer service.
Speaker 4: No, if it was Matt and Ryan, you know they could be Error Bears, Bears GM or head coach.
Speaker 2: Well what is that deal of elaborate us on that? I don't know if everybody saw that.
Speaker 4: So the Bears fired Ryan Pace and Matt Naggy. Ryan Pace the GM, Matt Naggy the head coach, and they hired Ryan Polls as this new GM.
Speaker 2: With him good Gude, good dude, go ahead, and.
Speaker 4: Matt Eberfless another. So literally hired a Matt and a Ryan in same positions. So I kind of now think that they should assemble a team full of Matt's and Ryan's and Matt Ryan should be their quarterback.
Speaker 2: They should trade the farm for Matt Ryan.
Speaker 4: Somebody else tweeted back at me they could get Ryan Matthews as running. But I just find it, you know, I know this is just a coincidence, but it's just an absurdly insane coincidence. Yeah, It's like, how is that even possible. I almost would say, we're not hiring this Matt after we hired Ryan just because of the name thing.
Speaker 2: I hope you get somebody good, offensive minded to take care of Justin Fields. I hope, I assume you will. I don't know, but yeah, the Ryan matt things great.
Speaker 4: I heard that the you know, Kevin Clark told me that he was he was he was pumped for me about the ryot poles higher, so that I feel like that's that's a good sign. You know, I don't know anything like this is like when people get worked up about drafts, you know. Yeah, it's like, you know, there's a guy that this is their job to do this, you know, and you like parachute in the day before the draft and read a couple of articles and you know, so.
Speaker 2: Was blocked for Matt Ryan at BC. Yeah, maybe he'll trade for him. You know, there you go, give Moore ryans and mats.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Good, Well, congrats, got new new era. I hope it goes out, works out for you. Let's go to flashback Friday.
Speaker 4: Do you have one?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got one.
Speaker 2: You want to go first? Go ahead, all right, I'll go. I'll go, I'll go, I'll go. I'll start. Nineteen fifty two, Joe Lewis comes the first African American to play on the PGA sanction event. It's at the San Diego Open at the San Diego Country Club. Is a ten thousand dollars perse. It is a historic challenge to the PGA Tour PGA. I should say, which would become the split become the PGA Tour, but the PGA's ban on players of color. He was obviously the boxer, right. He was a heavyweight champ of the world eleven years, like twenty some defenses of his title legend in Detroit, and then just became a golfer. He talks about how he like, I went out, I shot like one twenty first time, then slowly I was loved it though shooting seventy six, seventy five occasionally I'll shoot maybe a seventy, but I'm mostly a seventy five player. But he becomes the first African American to play a PGA sanction event at the I guess the San Diego San Diego Open would eventually become what we now know is the Farmer's Insurance Open. So let's read a little bit. This is from Jack Murphy.
Speaker 4: What Joe Lewis played the Farmer's Insurance Open.
Speaker 2: Well, that's cool, that's right. If you're watching PGA Tour Live today or the Twitter PGA Tour count that's probably how they would portray it. Yeah, hell they probably you know, we are farmers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: He knew all the ads too. So this is Jack Murphy, the legendary sports writer. How many sports writers have a stadium named after him, Jack Murphy Stadium, where the Chargers and Pods used to play. Like, did you imagine that happening nowadays? Like Skip Bayless Field or something.
Speaker 4: PC rename the stadium after you one day.
Speaker 2: That feels like a cheap shot. That's a good one.
Speaker 4: I liked that.
Speaker 2: It's preposterous, but that feels kind of like a cheap a cheap shot at all. Anyways, Jack Murphy the San Diego Union Tribune in nineteen This was nineteen fifty two, writing because the non salaried president of the PGA Professional Golfer Association set sail for Chula Vistia the idea of participating in the ten thousand dollars San Diego Open. But Horton Smith the golf.
Speaker 4: Spent at San Diego Country Club.
Speaker 2: Yes, I said that, Yes, San Diego country Club. But Horton Smith the golfer soon took a back seat to Horton Smith the executive. So he was the unsalaried sort of head of the PGA, while also being a player. Of course, he'd won two Masters, and he played with Joe Lewis in the first couple of rounds of this event. I'll get to how Lewis got in in a minute. So so they play alongside each other. Jack Murphy has all these like how they went back and forth. It was the day's largest gallery. Smith and Duke Gibson, a member of the PGA's tournament tournament committee, chatted amiably with Joe Lewis as they left the first tea, and there was no apparent hostility throughout the round. Smith's game wavered under the tension as he chopped his t shots out of bounds and suffered suffered sixes on the first two holes, kind of like you and your junior PGA thing. In the first Instant, Smith grinn this is just so cheesy, like old school writer, like out of a movie. In the first Instant, Smith grinn and told Lewis taking a six on that easy hole is just like a punch to the chin, countered the fighter. Only differences in boxing, you recover from a punch. In golf, it's on the card to stay.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 2: On the second hal Lewis the amateur. Terrible Lewis the amateur. We're just getting started. Put his drive thirty yards beyond Gibbs, while Smith again straight, I'll be just like you, say, Smith informed Lewis, I know what to do, but the old reflexes won't react. Both Lewis and Smith ventured in the rough where the PGA president equipped only place a left hook is any good is in the rain. So there's just like they got this dialogue and these guys just throw a terrible banter back and forth at each other. But here's some more, and are writing from Murphy. I gotta say this conjured up sort of the Rick Riley nineteen ninety seven Masters Gamer, as Murphy Wrights, Negro waitresses, serving officials and players in the clubhouse jammed excitedly into the press room, which affords an excellent view of the tenth tee. As the threesome made the turn, that's our boy, exclaimed to Louis Joe Lewis admirer as the fighter prepared to assault the little white pellet on the tee. I've been running in here every few minutes to read the board, said another. He's doing really good. So like the wait staff and service staff. You remember Rick Riley's legendary gamer about how the wait staff at Augusta National were on the balcony and when Tiger was winning and they kind of came out top fort I don't know, ponjured up images of this. In the nineteen fifty one San Diego Open, Lewis went out in thirty eight, beating Smith by a shot. Pretty good. Beat Horden Smith, two time Masters winner and president of the PGA the time.
Speaker 4: Like Peyton Manning out played Nicola.
Speaker 2: Come on, but on the back he it flipped a little bit and Smith beat him by three shots. So that Smith was like pressed about this, He's like, what you have this non Caucasian rule. Let's get into more of how Lewis got there. This is a rhiannon walker article from The Undefeated. This was Lewis ahead of times. PGA, of course has this non Caucasians band. Lewis leading into it. In January fourteenth, nineteen fifty two, in the New York Times, this quote was everywhere. I want the people to know what the PGA is. We've got another hitler to get by, saying this band, We've got another hitler to get by. So he's like, Lewis is obviously an athlete of incredible stature, right, and the PGA is like the last major sport to not integrate to have an over. Jack Robinson spoke similarly of God, yeah, yeah, Frida egg podcast. Right, So like Lewis realizes I got to just like shame the hell out of him. So he's got you know, I got to take this publicly. I need to drag them. We've got another hitler to get by. Next one. The list is the last major sport in America in which negroes are barred. He told the Los Angeles Sentinel. It's about time that is brought out into the open. He told the Los Angeles Times his humiliation. This is again Rihanna Walker writing for The Undefeated. His humiliation tactic worked and he became the first black golfer to compete. We talked about blow by blow. He went one fifty eight over thirty six holes. He was there with Bill Spiller, who of course was a professional. Lewis was an amateur. So the end around, like the band and the Bye law, was he got a sponsors exemption. Joe Lewis, he's an exempt amateur. He wasn't like a pro. And the Chevrolet Dealers of San Diego County sponsored to the tournament, invited him to compete, and the money they raised on inviting him was expected to be about two grand and it was going to be given to organizations that helped disabled children. Spiller went with him. Monday qualified. He was also there with Ural Clark, who didn't Monday qualify. Spiller Monday qualifies, and they say you can't play. Lewis can play because he's an amateur, but you cannot play because you're a pro. You're also not a sponsor's invite. So I don't know. It's kind of a useful way to spend a sponsor's invitation, right, breaking the color barrier, raising a bunch of money for disabled children.
Speaker 4: The best Spasters invite of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Probably, so they thought he was exempt from the PGA's bylaws because of that he plays the San Diego Open. This is smith. Then we have rules, and we don't make them just to be tough, but to control play in the tournament. Section one of Article three of our by law states any professional golfer of the Caucasian race over eighteen years old of age residing in North or South America is eligible to become a PGA member. So it doesn't explicitly, I mean it says you have to be of the Caucasian race. In view of that section are rules. Spiller obviously could not become a member and therefore, under PJA rules, cannot play in the San Diego Open. But lewis breaking the barrier this week. The next it kind of started to it started a movement or a awaken I don't know if it's awakening, but they realized they were this was obviously retrogressive and horrendous rule. Spiller, Clark, and Ted Rhoades joined Joe Lewis at the next PGA sponsored event, the Phoenix Open. As a result of Lewis breaking the color barrier, Spiller and Lewis became good friends. Spiller Bill Spiller eventually like actually criticized Lewis for playing. He's like, you're not helping the cause by playing, like you need to continue to press for us as the pros to get in. But Lewis thought he was just raising more awareness by getting in the field than being able to speak out more. The exclusionary PGA membership clause this is a Bob Denny article would not be eradicated for nine more years. Came at a casual round at Hillcrest Country Club when Spiller Bill Spiller was playing with a couple entertainers and the Attorney General California was there and issued a moratorium on the use of California courses by the PGA until it stopped discriminating against non whites and got other state attorneys. So this was nine years after the nineteen fifty one San Diego Opened. I think in November sixty one was when the PGA annual meeting where they did away with the discriminatory by law. One more final note on this is George Willis article I found at the Morning Read talks about obviously they renamed the Horton Smith Award the PGA did recently in the past few years because he was a supporter of this law, and this was George Willis's article before Smith is painted as a heartless racist, there's evidence that he favored a change in the rule. One day after the San Diego opened, which crole won, Smith pulled the PGA Tournament Committee to approve participation by blacks and PGA co sponsored golf tournaments, thus allowing them the same treatment as non touring professionals. Quote. I hope that this action will allow Negro participation in both the Phoenix and Tucson opens. Smith's set of upcoming tournaments. Otherwise, I feel that most of my efforts have been in vain so little San Diego opened Farmer's Insurance Open history Joe Lewis the heavyweight champ of the world, breaking golf's color barrier in San Diego. So flashback Friday.
Speaker 4: What do you got a story?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Nothing, nothing like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, add a little light light hard in it or Something'm gonna I'm gonna have a short one. What do you got, Andy bean y one? Okay? You know that is.
Speaker 4: No what only win of their career recently has been on some like alternate lists because of.
Speaker 2: This, come on Champions Tour, PGA appreciate Tour.
Speaker 4: No like doesn't even play on the Champions Tour anymore.
Speaker 2: Neil Lancaster, who is it? No Ja Don Blake, Oh god, oh my god. Okay the mustache Man.
Speaker 4: First first win for Jada on, first and only win in his PJ Tour career. It was his fifty year on tour. He had gone to Q school six times. You know, he was most famous at this point before this win for winning the nineteen eighty NCAA Championship at Ohio State's Scarlet Course and a four hole playoff against Halimony.
Speaker 2: Hell so sary gent Yeah how about that?
Speaker 4: So he started the round two shots behind Steve Pate, who had won the tournament in nineteen eighty eight and then won the next year in ninety two. So Steve Pate was a Tory Pine's assassin at this point. Pate made triple on seven and in Faxon was also ahead of Jay Don. He made double on seven, and that's what opened the door for a guy jay Dot and he never looked back, but they both hit shots into the canyon. We never see shots into the canyon, you know why ca, Yeah, I'm asking that Reys Jones mastermided.
Speaker 2: So of having arranged that they like can't accommodate like very little. It's like, I mean, just you know, right, spent through the nose on all this other stuff. Right anyways, go ahead, all right.
Speaker 4: So the wind was surprising for Blake because on Monday, while he was playing with some buddies in Palm Desert at at the Springs, Blake, you know, he was really frustrated. He wasn't making any putts and he flung his bullseye putter into a pond on seventeenth. So this week he used to ray cook blue goose model putter, which was happier since since his high school days. Now now jay Don was really broken up about the bullseye that was at the bottom of the pond because his dad had given it to him and he had used it since high school.
Speaker 2: Ah, what an intemperate, just rashful, rash move.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just a spin of rage, he tossed. Yeah, I wonder what was going on was he played a big money game, like you know, you know that that caused this. So but they said that the heavy putter might have helped him out because of the bumpy and slow Tory Pine's greens, you know. And and so anyways, Jaydon got good news on Monday because the course sent divers into the pun oh my God, to fish the butter out, and the pro Jim English at the Springs Club said, we will be happy to keep it for Jaydon at the normal storage rate, whatever the costs. I'm sure he can afford it now. So the Monday after he wins, it gets pitched out. So what Jadon said was I couldn't make any crucial putts. It was very much out of character, and I don't know what came over me, but I was tired of missing putts. That's why I tossed it. And then he went on to say I might still be struggling if I had kept it, So I guess it's beneficial that I threw it in the water. This was Phil Micholson played in the event as an amateur. It was a ninety one, so this was you know, he was pretty young at that point. I didn't do the math on how old he was he finished forty seconds. So anyways, just like a couple of things on Jada on Blake. So after failing to get his tour card a number of times, he went back to Saint George Utah worked for several years as a club assistant pro and then also in a hardware store.
Speaker 2: Wo and he said, to keep my man family and the money got you do working two jobs.
Speaker 4: And then he went and he got his card, and then you know, he kept his card for fifteen straight years after you know, after six years of not getting it. He was just like he was like number one hundred every year.
Speaker 2: He doesn't His name doesn't appear short for anything. It's not Donald, it's just j Don Blake. There's no Donald. It's not shortened. And as far as I can tell.
Speaker 4: Pretty good syllable efficiency for a three yeah, three name.
Speaker 2: Guys, just the hop skipping a jump, jay Don Blake kind of amazing. He's a pillar of everybody's just you never shorten it. It's never just j or. It's always jay Don like you always it's very dogmatic. You gotta go, but okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Then I found this tribute article about him. But you know, it's just like anytime he can. The articles you find are just like him. In contention, that sounds miserable. Thursday night reading about jaydaen Blake and comment, I did not have a very deep time. I read like five articles. Okay, okay, this tribute Chicago Tribune article. He had a hobby. He would compete on the amateur drag racing circuit.
Speaker 2: Like cars. Yeah, not the attire.
Speaker 4: So he enjoys driving a seventy five thousand dollars drag racing car upwards of one hundred and seventy miles per hour over a quarter mile. He says, I know they seem like total opposites. Golf is quiet, any kind of noise in a distraction, and drag racing the more noise the better for me, though, drag racing is a lot like your preshot routine and golf. Drag racing you've got a conscients rate. It's a basic how precise you have to be to run a car to a number. Sometimes the thousandths of the second is the difference between winning and losing. You have lights, the starting line, the wind, all those things. If you don't get a good start for the get go, you don't lose.
Speaker 2: Automatically feels like he's reaching there.
Speaker 4: Drag racing enthusiasts.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 4: So another funny thing that I found is in the desert Desert rat deserret news news. Yeah, utah. He became a regular on the PGA Tour, won five and a half million over two decades, including the win at the Sheerson Lehman Brothers Open which San Diego ninety one. Then after turning fifty, he won nearly as much money in less than a decade.
Speaker 2: I'm the champions hey out there where.
Speaker 4: He picks up three You know, this guy fifteenth straight or two decades on the PGA Tour goes up to the Champions Store, makes as much money in less than ten years. He had to retire for a while because he had a frozen shoulder. He couldn't lift his shoulder above.
Speaker 2: Is that what it's called.
Speaker 4: That's what he was saying to this article.
Speaker 2: Interesting, he's a dead rainer for the guy and top Gun the teacher, Yeah, top gun, top whatever viper, Yeah, jay Don, that's a good one. Good throwback double flashbacks. I don't know if we're gonna don't.
Speaker 4: Everybody needed an hour on Friday, so you got your hour podcast here.
Speaker 2: Lower your expectations. These are not going to be two Scoops flashbacks going forward, but you get Joe Lewis and jay Don Blake, two peas in a pod there lived similar lives. All right, everyone, enjoy your Fridays. We'll be back with you on Monday. Enjoy the weeknight, golf, the football, whatever you got going on this weekend.
Speaker 4: Thank Instagram line maybe who knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we might do it Saturday Night Live. Yeah maybe maybe cocktails going all right, keep an eye out for that Saturday Night Live Instagram. Enjoy your weekends. Thank you so much for your continued support. The Shotguns start